A Cracker Barrel Christmas Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

lights06.gif

December 2021 Christmas Holidays Story Contest Entry

0AD00583-7FCB-430A-B5A2-496C31F9A94D.png


Christmas Dreams

The world didn’t completely change after that night. Sure, some things happened quickly…like Danny and Lena’s wedding, which was held shortly after Mr. Thomas’ proclamation that his son was free to run the town now—something that didn’t sit well with the mayor. Some thought it was just a joke but, most of us, knew that it was one of many of Mr. Thomas’ last jabs at his son’s political career. Adam and Reverend Al took turns with the ceremony while Mr. Johnny obtained the licensing paperwork—there was a question on how he was able to acquire the forms at such a late hour but shortly after afterwards Mr. Thomas handed his son a massive set of keys—one for every governmental building.

Dad was invited to run for city council in the next election and he accepted after learning that there was a former Memphian who was planning to run. Mom supported Dad’s running, but refused to assist with any stump speeches, making phone calls or doing anything that would keep her from being the “sweet” gran-maw maw to three children: Jamie, Amelia and Danny and Lena’s soon to be born.

Adam and Karen Anne continued to live in Texas where Adam kept the size of his church a modest size, stating that the church was the people, not the building. He also sponsored a shelter named after Seth in conjunction with the Erin Collins Memorial Project. Karen Anne even brought in her former girlfriend, Kristina Nelson, onto the board to assist with their mission: that no one is forgotten, left behind, or ever abused again.

Danny and Lena moved to Memphis—well, Germantown, in complete spite to Dad and to finally find out what his problem was with Memphis.
“I’m going to say a short sentence, Danny.”
“Okay. Why do you hate Memphis?” Danny asked as they sat in the waiting room of the hospital. Mom was in the room with Lena.
“There’s a place down there that will steal your wallet, your mind, and any sense of value and decency you got. One should never go there and the whole town needs to be shuttered off because of it.”
“That’s two sentences, but, okay.”
“I went to gentlemen’s club when I was eighteen, before I met your mother, and I was asked if I wanted to go to the back room and play ‘around the world’. I thought, hey, a game room, but it wasn’t.”
“That’s more than I ever wanted to know Dad.”
“What’s worse, Seth went there once time too.”

I remained in town and continued to work at the same Cracker Barrel store, except I was moved to the back of the house to work in accounting along with Garrett. However, there were a few hours of the day where I waited tables: when Mr. Johnny and Reverend Al came in. They would sit with the Mrs. Late Mr. Thomas’ wife, Miriam, who, everyday, would sit in awe at the stories about her late husband that barely scratched the surface of his life.

“How fresh is the meatloaf?” Mr. Johnny asked.
“It was just in the field yesterday.”
“Let’s go with the meatloaf, okra, and the applesauce.”
“I’ll get that for you sir.”
“Thank you.”
“Hey, Nikki, has Paul’s grandkid given you that ring yet?”
“What ring?”
“You gone said too much, Tony, You’ve blown his surprise.”
“Believe me, I’ll be surprised," I replied as I looked to the back of the house at Garrett.
He held up a small, angel with two repaired wings wearing a garter belt, a leather jacket and something golden shining on it head like a crown.

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh good ending <sniff>

I am truly a sucker for all the Christmas Hallmark movies and this story is no exception. I'd give 100 votes for it to get the top spot in this years' Christmas story competition.

>>> Kay

Ow.

Podracer's picture

I got to the angel ring bit and something stung my eye ;-)

"Reach for the sun."

Color me poop brown but

Sparks in Ashes's picture

….. But i am left wanting so much more. I enjoyed the read immensely- i can not lie to that; but I’m feeling let down for some reason

I’m just making Sparks “n the Ashes

I am thinking about a story

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

I am thinking about a story about how Seth was in the army