Wolff of the Endless Waltz -chapter 23

Printer-friendly version


Wolff of the Endless Waltz


For 35yrs the border between the Human Empire and Gorgonzola Empire as remained mostly peaceful. The citizens for the Human Empire of this border region are loyal to the last man, woman, and child to the Empire. It was on one of these worlds that gave birth to a legend. The world of Apollo 6 is one of the harshest worlds within the Empire. One so harsh that only it could claim to be the birth world of James J. Owens, the most feared of Death Dealers. A world that is even now poised to give birth to a new legendary warrior. One who shall be baptized in the blood of the Empire’s enemies. Robert Wolff youngest great grandchild of James Owens’ sister Cecilia Owens.


Chapter 23
Goulcrest, Apollo 6
Overlooking the spaceport

When the forward recon units of the 1st Death Dealer Battlegroup rolled into the capital of Apollo they were swarmed by the local citizens. More than a few of those Death Dealers were surprised by the welcome they received. One of the unit though had the pleasure of reporting the destruction of the spaceport. There was no way the Death Dealer could use the spaceport in its current condition. Sergeant in charge of the recon team put the feelings of his men into words. “Whoever or whatever hit this place really fracked it up big time.”

“God damn, Sergeant. What the frack did they hit this place with?” Asked the gunner of his M-68 Wolfhound armored recon vehicle.

“If I had to make a guess. I would say someone collapsed the retaining wall for fuel storage yard first. Then blew the fuel storage tanks flooding the field and strip. Once it was flooded they set off the fuel. All that fuel turned this place into one massive barbeque.” The Sergeant chuckled as he took out a cigar and lite it. “Whoever did this is one nasty Mother. I sure wouldn’t want to face him in a back alley or on the battlefield.”

“No way one guy did this Sergeant. It would have taken at least a six-man team to pull off this level of destruction.” His driver said as he rose up from his seat.

“For a normal Death Dealer team, you would be right. This was done by one of our Special Operations people. Those guys aren’t normal. Not by a long shot. Every one of those guys are crazier than ten shithouse rats hoped up on Blue Night crystal.” At the mention of the third most powerful hallucinogenic drug in human history had his team chuckling. “Trust boys and girls. Those people over in SpecOps are a whole other type of crazy. Whatever you do never piss one off on purpose.”

“If this is what they do when they’re pissed I’ll make sure to leave them alone.” The driver chuckled as he surveyed the destroyed spaceport.

“That wasn’t done by a pissed off SpecOps trooper. They were very much in control. When they did this people.” The Sergeant grunted as he puffed on his cigar. “You never what to see what they can do when pissed off. Let’s head for our next check point people. This is just the first of five. The next two are ammo dumps.”

After a round of ‘yes sergeant’ from his crew the 20-ton tracked recon vehicle headed for its next destination. As they were rolling away form the spaceport the Sergeant radioed in his report on the spaceport. He knew that the higher ups weren’t going to like his report. They were most likely wanting to use the spaceport for aerospace fighter operations and dropship LZ.

Eastend, Goulcrest

“Yo Switch! You seeing this shit man! Are the Cheeseheads retreating back to the city or something?” Crazy Joe Witeman asked his gang’s leader.

“Take a better look at those unit crests Crazy. Those are Empyreal Army units walking down the street. Looks like the big boys have finally arrived.” Steve Switch hitter Tomson chuckled as he pointed at the R4-3T Firestorm 30-ton Scout APS that was passing them just then. “If I had to guess I would say this unit are Death Dealers or regular Army. Most likely regular Army.”

“Neither young man. We’re the third Light Armor Regiment. We’re a mercenary unit. Better known as ‘the Queen’s Lancers’.” Both gang members turned to face the man who had spoken to them. They were both shocked to see that he wore the rank of major on his color taps. There was also two other men in uniform escorting the major. “Can you gentlemen tell me where to find a Mister Steve Tomson?”

“That’s me buddy. Care to explain why you’re looking for me?” Switch asked eyeing the three men up and down carefully.

“Ah prefect. Major Reed Wolfram with the Queen’s Lancers’ recruitment team. You and your people come highly recommended.” The major told the gangster with a smile.

“Okay what does that mean major?” Switch asked in confusion.

“How would you and your people like to get off Apollo six?” The major asked.

“Cut to the chase Major. I ain’t got all day for bullshit.” Switch snarled.

“I like that. Straightforward and to the point. I’m looking to recruit you and the members of your gang. You’ll been training in antiterrorist and insurgent tactics by one of the best Death Dealers in the Empire. The pay is good, and it’s honest work. You get to see far more of the universe. You won’t have to worry about where your next meal is coming from. We take care of our own.” Major Wolfram told him then gave Switch a lopsided grin. “Plus, we can get your records wiped clean. You and your people will never have to worry about arrest warrants again. Unless you screwup and break the law after you sign up with us.”

“How long do we have to think about your offer?” Switch asked him.

“Yo Switch. You can’t be taking this joker’s offer seriously, man. I mean come on bro. None of these merc bastards ever gave a shit about us before. Why should we trust them now? They’ll just throw our asses to the wolves the first chance they get. They always do.” Crazy Joe snapped.

“Shut it Joe. Now!” Switch ordered his second in command. When he saw the look in Crazy Joe’s eyes Switch sighed. “Can you give us a minute Major?”

“Not a problem Mister Tomson. Here’s my card. Just show this the guard on duty at our TOC. He’ll show you to my tent.” Wolfram handed Switch a card with his contact info on it and turned to walk away. “The offer stands for as long as we’re planet side Tomson. Don’t take to long to talk it over with your people. There are certain parties that are already talking about locking your ass away for public safety.”

“Crazy call in the whole fracking crew.” If there was one thing that could be said to describe Steve ‘Switch hitter’ Tomson it was this. His was quick witted and faster on the uptake than any one in his gang. “That’s a fracking order Crazy.”

“What’s going on boss? I’ve never seen you like this. What did that soldier boy mean by locking our asses up for public safety?” Crazy Joe asked him honestly.

Switch sighed heavily as he gave Crazy Joe a cross look. “Let me explain this using simple words Crazy. That Major just told us that whoever gets appointed to Governor for our planet will lock our asses up. You know all that training Ripper gave us? It made us too dangerous to stay on the streets. We either get off this rock or face long term stays at the gray bar hotels.”

“Oh shit. Not fracking good. Do you really think the new government would actually lock us up for no good reason? After everything we did to free this fracking city and damned planet. I mean the gangs were the resistance for Goulcrest.” Crazy asked Switch as he sent out the message to the rest of the Eastside Rattlers.

“For some reason I do, Joe. We’re a threat to not only each other, but the police as well. Think about it bro. Ripper turned us into a bunch of real bad ass covert resistance fighters. If we were to put that training to use against the other gangs or worse yet the cops. The streets would run red with the blood of gangbangers, cops, and civilians alike.” The more Switch explained the situation for Crazy the more he realized just how fracked up the situation was. “I don’t know about you and the others Crazy but I’m taking the offer to get off this rock. At least I’ll be free and getting paid to fight for once.”

“You going to get with the other leaders about this, boss?” Crazy asked him as they headed for the gangs clubhouse.

“I get the feeling that they’re already being approached by the other merc units.” Switch answered him honestly. “I got twenty gold credits that says every major gang will disappear from Goulcrest over the next few months.”

“Not taking any action on that bet boss.” Crazy Joe answered quickly then turned thoughtful. “Tell me something Steve. Do you think we should take them up on their offer? I mean what way are you going to swing? Staying or going?”

“This is between you, me, and the lamppost Joe. So, keep it to damned yourself. I’m taking the Major up on his offer.” Steve Tomson stopped and looked around the street at they were currently walking down. This was his hood, and it was a barely above slum level living. “I got no one and nothing to hold me here anymore. The Cheeseheads killed my family to as an example to the rest of our hood. Then they blasted my home to smithereens. Though I might try to sign on with the regular Army.”

“I hear ya bro. I ain’t got anything to keep me here either. Those damned son-of-bitches flattened my whole block trying to flush out our resistance cell.” Crazy Joe snarled. “Didn’t do them any good. Our junior leaguers slammed down on them hard. Killed every last one of those cock bites while taking heavy losses themselves. It went down while we were dealing with that convoy of heavy artillery. Totally fracking sucks rock big time.”

“Yeah I know what you mean bro. Those gods be damned Brownshirt mother humping low life cock suckers did a lot of damage before we started taking them down. I think that’s why the incoming big wigs are looking to get rid of us.” Steve told him. “One way or another. Word of advice bro. Come with me.”

“After we give the heads up to the rest of the Rattlers I say we head for the nearest regular Army Unit and enlist Steve. If they won’t take us then we go find that merc unit. Sound good?” Joe suggested as the two turned and headed for the gangs clubhouse further off the main streets of their neighborhood.

“You know for a dimwit you do have your moments. Sounds like a solid plan bro. Let’s get this shit done.” Steve chuckled as they walked down the street.

Northside, Goulcrest

Colonel Bobby T. Lumhoe, Commander for the 1st of the 36th Armor Battalion, stood with upper half of his body just outside the turret of his 85-ton Mark VII Löwe super heavy tank. Even as he looked around at the city of Goulcrest he knew that these people would cut his peoples’ throats in their sleep if they got pissed. This point was driven home by three young men standing on street corner. All three were armed with SEM-48A3 7.62x51mm assault rifles. “From the looks of those boys we know who lead the resistance in this area.”

“What about the ones on the other corner sir? They’re wearing deferent gang colors.” His loader said pointing the group of three young men across the street.

“Must be rival gangs and this street is the boundary line for their territories.” Lumhoe grunted over the intercom. “Seven will get you ten Corporal. Those six gangbangers are out here as a warning to us.”

“What kind of warning sir?” The Corporal asked.

“We cross the line, and we’ll end up dead. Link patch me through to the rest of the battalion.” Lumhoe ordered his radio operator and hull gunner.

“Patched in sir.” Came the almost instantaneous reply from Corporal Link.

Lumhoe keyed his mike. “All Saber units this is Saber Six. Clear and safe all weapons. Only fire if fired upon. Do not, I repeat, do not engage unless fired upon. There are armed civilian resistance in the crowd. Saber Six out.”

As if to underscore the warning the gunner for the tank called out. “Sir, we’re coming up on a roadblock. Fortified position armed with one M-seven-fifty Heavy Gatlin anti-armor Laser and one M-two-fifty Heavy Barrel Flexible Machinegun.”

“Alright people everyone stay nice and frosty here. Those guns may not be able to hurt Fury but if they have those. Then it’s a sure bet they have something heavier covering this roadblock.” Lumhoe ordered he tank crew as they rolled to stop 25 meters from the roadblock. “Sergeant Lock man the TC position. I’ll be right back.”

As Colonel Lumhoe climbed down from his tank he couldn’t help but mutter. “I hope.”

“Okay buddy that close enough. Who are you? What’s your unit?” Called out a young man around 25 dressed in the uniform of a Goulcrest SWAT officer.

“Colonel Robert Lumhoe. First of the thirty-sixth Armor, fifth Armored Division, first Death Dealer Battlegroup. That good enough officer?” Lumhoe called back.

“Maybe. I still need to see some ID there pal. I got orders from my boss to double check everyone entering the city. Friendly or otherwise.” The man yelled back.

Lumhoe pulled his ID packet from his uniform pants pocket and tossed over to the SWAT officer. He pointed to the street corner with the gang members. “Mind if I talk to those men over there?”

“Be my guest Colonel. Just don’t be surprised if they tell you to piss off.” The officer warned him. “I won’t call them exactly social. On the eastside of the street are Tagger McFee and the Ruffins. On the westside is Deadman Davis with the Baseball Night Furies. Don’t turn your back on them.”

Lumhoe pulled out a spiral note pad from his BDU jacket pocket. He flipped it open to the 5th pages. A small smile came to his face. “Perfect two of the four men I was sent in to talk with. Can you tell me where I can find Michel ‘Meat’ Hook for the Northside Stranglers and Lyle Longworth for the Ramblers?”

“What in the world do you want with those slugs Colonel?” The SWAT officer demanded.

“That information is above your paygrade officer. Just tell me to find them.” Lumhoe snarled at being questioned by the cop.

“No good sir. You either tell what you want those four men for, or you don’t pass my check point. No matter what the CO says.” The cop smirked.

“Officer do you know who or what you’re trying to stare down but take some advice. That beast over there is a Mark-seven Lion heavy tank. It weights in at eighty tons dry and eighty-five tons combat. It’s armed with a one-forty-five-millimeter smooth bore main gun, one M-two-forty ten-millimeter coax mounted chain gun, one M-two-forty hull mounted ten-millimeter chain gun, a TC cupola mounted M-thirty-five fifteen-millimeter eight-barrel Gatlin gun, and one M-two-forty-five-B rooftop pedestal mounted ten-millimeter chain gun. That is enough firepower to flatten a city block. I twitch wrong you all die, and this roadblock becomes a hole in the ground.” Evil grin that graced Lumhoe’s face sent chills down the SWAT officer’s spin. “You may have dealt with a Death Dealers before in a civilian capacity but now you’re dealing with us in a wartime capacity. Whole new ballgame shithead.”

The SWAT Officer tossed Lumhoe his ID saying. “Whatever you want to believe Colonel. You and your people are still citizens of the Empire. If I want to keep you here. This is where you’ll stay.”

“Buddy boy this is only one tank out of seventy. The rest of my battalion is about a mile behind me. Think long and hard about your next move. My boys and girls can get real nasty when they want too.” Lumhoe snarled as he turned to look at the two gang leaders. “Mister McFee, Mister Davis, would you care to join me?”

When neither gang leader moved Lumhoe sighed. “Gentlemen that wasn’t a request.”

At those words the TC’s M-35 swung to point at Davis while the pedestal mounted M-245 swung in the opposite direction to point at McFee. Needles to say the two gangbangers got the hit. They hand their weapons to their fellow members and walked to the center of the street. Lumhoe could tell that both men were hardcore OGs and not to be trust. I gave his Gunner a silent signal. One that said take no prisoners. Once both young men were in front of the massive tank Lumhoe smiled at their false bravado in the face of certain death.

“Alright old man we’re here. What do you want?” McFee snarled even though he was clearly keeping his eyes on the massive main gun pointed at the roadblock. He and Davis had good reason for worrying about Lumhoe’s actions. They had gang members helping to manned that roadblock. They both also knew that none of their weapons would put a dent in that monstrous tank.

“I want to offer you and your people a chance to get off this planet before the shit storm hits.” Over the next twenty minutes Colonel Bobby T. Lumhoe laid out the future the two gangs were facing. Neither gang leader like the idea of having the cops hunting down their gang members down one at a time. They had busted their asses to free Goulcrest from the Cheeseheads. Now they were being seen as a threat by the incoming Government. One that needed to be removed at all costs.

“Are you tell me that after everything we did to drive out the Cheeseheads. We got to deal with a bigger bunch of assholes who answer to our own Empire?” Davis snarled then looked up at the tank. “Can you tell me why they want us gone?”

“It’s rather simple young man.” Lumhoe said as he pulled a gold 50 credit coin from his pocket. “I got a double eagle that says you two were trained by Warrant Office Robert Wolff and you passed that training on to your people. Am I right?”

The two gangbangers just chuckled and nodded their heads as he put the coin away. McFee was the next to ask a question. “So what are you offering Colonel?”

“Full clemency for every member of your gangs that signs a four-year contract with the Empyreal Army or Navy. We give you a chance to use the training and skills you already have or to learn new skills. You’ll also receive the standard benefits of three hots, a cot, a spiffy uniform, and half assed pay for put your life on the line. Should you survive to the end of your enlistment you’ll get a chance at a new life. I won’t lie to you men. The life of a soldier is not for everyone. You could die on some backwater planet that no one in the Empire has ever heard about. The chances of a hero’s reward are next to nothing.” Colonel Lumhoe figured he needed to be up front with these street hardened young men.

“We need to talk to our members Colonel. Can we get back to you later?” Davis asked.

“Not a problem, Mister Davis. Take your time. Don’t take too long though. The new administration will be taking over in three weeks.” Lumhoe took out his note pad and wrote down the location for the Recruitment unit’s location. “Have whoever wants to enlist report to this location within the next twenty-one days.”

After both gang leaders had the location Lumhoe remounted his tank. “Move out Corporal Snow. If that roadblock is still in the way. Crush it.”

“Yes sir.” The driver called out over the intercom before shifting into gear. The massive tank’s engine roared and moved forward. The people manning the roadblock quickly move to clear the way for the tank. Ten minutes later the rest of the battalion rolled through the same area unmolested. The sight of those massive war machines had a profound affect on the local gang members. Within ten days of that fateful confrontation at the roadblock all but two members of the Ruffins and three from the Ramblers enlisted in the Empyreal Army. The only reason those five young people didn’t enlist was their age. All five were under the legal age.

This situation was repeated over and over again all across Goulcrest. Gangs were approached by either merc or regular Army recruiters. Within ten days all but the youngest members of the major gangs had enlisted. None of the gang members would ever know that it was Robert Wolff who had arranged for them to be recruited. Robert had seen the danger signs for the gangs once the war was over. He knew that the more radical Law-n-Order crowd would want them gone or behind bars. To prevent this Robert had suggest that the Death Dealers and merc actively recruit the gangs. In his mind it was better to get them off the streets and planet.

Sky Reach Orphanage, Goulcrest

When the last of the Gorgonzola military had left Goulcrest Penny brought the smaller children up from the basement. She had also sent word to the gangs that were hiding the older children. The orphanage was once more filled with the sounds of children playing. There was only one sad point in her reopening the orphanage. In the last few days there was eight new babies and seven more children under the age of twelve added to their number. She only had one more duty to preform before sealing the basement safehouse for the foreseeable future. That duty was not hers alone. She was waiting for the only person who could carry out that duty with her to return from the battlefront.

The knock at the front door drew her attention and she turned to one of the older boys in her care. “Terry could you get that for me? I can’t step away from the stove right now. I don’t want to burn the sausage gravy.”

“Yes ma’am, Miss Penelope.” Terry said as he ran to answer the door. He didn’t see Penny flinch at being addressed as Miss Penelope.

“I really do wish he won’t call me that. I’m not that damned old yet.” Penny grumbled under her breath.

“Can I help you sir?” There was a paus as the man at the door answered. “Well Miss Penny is running the orphanage now.” Again, there was a paus. “No sir. I don’t think that now is a good time to visit. We’re about to sit down to dinner.”

“PENELOPE GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE AND TELL THIS RUG RAT TO LET ME IN!” When Penny heard the voice she dropped the frying pan. She ran from the kitchen to the front of the house. When she reached the entrance hallway she had to grab the door jam to hold herself up. There before her eyes was the one man she dearly want to see. “Hey there little sister. I told you I would come home.”

Penny ran the rest of the way and threw her arms around Robert’s neck crying. The rest of the children in the orphanage gathered in the hallway. All of them wondering who this strange man was and why was Miss Penelope crying against his chest. Only one of the older boys took a second look at Robert’s face. “Holy shit! ROB?! Is that really you bro? Where the hell have you been?”

“Spent the last few years at Camp Red Cloud on Seth in the New Egypt system. Then I returned here so I could raise merry hell with the Cheeseheads in Goulcrest, Danny.” Robert told the teenage boy with a wicked smile.

“Bullshit! Only Death Dealers train at Camp Red Cloud on Seth. Everyone knows that Rob. No way they would accept someone like us into their ranks. Where have you really been?” Danny demanded then pointed behind Robert in shock. “Wha… wha… what are they doing here?”

“I believe I can clear up your distrust of Warrant Officer Robert Wolff’s whereabouts for the last few years.” Emperor James Nakatoma said as he stepped inside the orphanage. He was followed by Empress Terresa, the Dowager Empress Maiha, War Princess Alice, Grand Lady Dai Etsu, and the Reverend Mother Katsumi.

“Danny it’s not polite to point.” A little girl of about six or seven scolded him. Then she whispered just load enough for him to hear. “They might be here to adopt one us. Behave yourself dummy.”

“Bethany go back to the kitchen little one.” When the little girl pouted he just pushed her towards the kitchen with a pat on her butt. Danny shook his head then bowed to the Royal Family. “Welcome to our home, Sky Reach orphanage your majesties.”

“Um Robert who are these people?” Penny asked as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Miss Penelope they’re the Royal Family!” Danny gasped.

“Not right now we’re not young man.” Maiha told him sternly. “Today we’re your older brother’s comrades in arms visiting his home.”

“Your majesty.” Penelope said as she curtsied finally realizing who was standing in the entrance hallway of her home. “How can I be of service?”

“It is we who have come here to provide a service. This orphanage is more than just a home to one of our Empire’s newest heroes. It is his very reason for living.” Terresa told Penelope as she pulled her to a standing position. “We have also come to carry out one finally duty for a fallen Death Dealer.”

“Penny, I need you to keep the kids in the family room or dining room. Understand?” Robert whispered into her ear. “We’re taking Father Mike to be buried.”

Penny just looked up into Robert’s eyes and asked. “Where?”

“Exactly where I said he would be, Peace Memorial Gardens.” He told her honestly. “I always keep my promises Penny. You know that.”

“That you do. You’ve never broken your promise to me or anyone else. You even kept your promise to return at the end of the war.” Penny sniffled. “You always beat the odds no matter how hard they’re stacked against you.”

“Robert is no ordinary Death Dealer young lady.” Katsumi told Penny with a small smile. “He is in many ways his great uncles equal. A man worthy to be his heir.”

“Just what does that mean, Reverend Mother?” Danny asked bluntly forgetting all about his manners. “Is Robby a real honest to god Death Dealer?”

“That he is young man. One who earned his right to wear the Imperial Blacks at an age where most fail. Only a handful have ever matched Warrant Office Wolff’s accomplishments. Only one has ever earned a nickname from his enemies.” Maiha told Penny and Danny with a friendly smile. At their looks of confusion Maiha chuckled. “His great uncle James J. Owens was called Death by friends and enemies alike. It seems that for some reason your big brother Robert’s friends and enemies have taken to calling him the Whitechapel Ripper.”

“That’s nothing new Majesty. People have been calling Robby the Whitechapel Ripper for as long as I can remember.” Penny giggled as Danny shrugged his shoulders. “As for people respecting and fearing him. Talk to any gangbanger in Whitechapel. They’ll all tell you the same thing. You don’t frack with Ripper or this orphanage.”

“I must say young lady. It is rather refreshing to have one of our subjects to so straightforward in their speech.” Dai Etsu chuckled then gave Penny a concerned look. “Though from the looks of things you’re a bit rag my dear. Tell me have you been running this orphanage all on your own?”

“Yes ma’am. Ever since Father Mike started working the resistance to fight against the Brownshirts of the Cheeseheads.” Penny confessed with a sad smile of pride. “He would have wanted me to carry on in his place.”

“Well, my dear that is no longer possible.” Dai Etsu told her as she caressed her cheek. Penny stiffed at hearing this. She wasn’t going to stop talking care of Sky Reach Orphanage. Father Mike had placed the orphanage and its children in her care. Dai Etsu could tell that Penny was set to argue the point.

“Young lady you have done a marvelous job. So far. However, this is more than you can handle on your own for the long term. Do not worry through.” Katsumi told her as she wave to someone standing outside on the porch. Before Penny could ask what was going on two Nightingale Sisters and two Daughters of the Dragon stepped through the door. “These Sisters of Ida-ten shall be taking over for you.”

“Then what am I supposed to do? I gave my word to Father Mike to look after the orphanage and the children.” Penny asked in confusion.

“You’ll be heading for Hades little one.” Dai Etsu told her with a sly smile as she looked around the room at the eight teenage children. “You and the others that are old enough to face the world alone.”

“Hades? Why would we be heading for Hades?” Danny asked for the other gathered teens voicing their same confusion.

“There are a two schools that are in need of new students. You all fit that need.” Dai Etsu informed them with a chuckle. “The Sisters know what they’re doing. You can trust them to take care of all your little brothers and sisters. The days of Sky Reach orphanage scrapping by and relaying on the protection of gangs are over.”

As if to underscore this point one of the Daughters of the Dragon shifted the swords at her hip. The woman gave them a savage smile and left the orphanage. Danny couldn’t hold back his curiosity an asked. “Where’s she going?”

“Sister Kathern is going to have a little talk with the local gangs and other criminal elements of Goulcrest.” Robert chuckled evilly as he answered Danny’s question. “As for you Danny boy. You need to take the rest of the teens up stairs and start packing your belongings.”

“Hold on Robby. What if we don’t want to leave Apollo six?” One of the other teenage girls asked him bluntly. “This is my home.”

“Marry listen to me. This is your chance to get ahead. The schools that you all will be attending are some of the best in the Empire.” Robby explained for the girl. “Look I wouldn’t steer you wrong. Just trust me like always. You can always return here after you graduate.”

Marry looked him in the eye then grabbed the hand of the girl next to her. “Come on guys. Let’s get to packing. Looks like we don’t have a choice. We’re heading for Hades, and some suck up schools.”

“You can go Mary, but I’m staying here.” One girl snapped.

“Sue, I’m only going to tell you once. Pull your head out of your ass and do as you’re told.” Robert snarled. Then gave the rest of the teenagers a death glare. “I’m not giving you a suggestion. That was a fracking order. Now move!”

As one the nine gathered teenagers ran from the room. Penny gave Robert a disapproving glare of her own. “Robert Wolff just what the frack are you up to?”

“Look Penny, I need you to trust me. This is for the best. The schools that you and the others will attend will give you one of the best educations in the Empire. Just do as you’re told.” Robert told her then pushed her towards the living room. “For now, keep the rest of the younger children occupied for the next twenty minutes.”

Penny just sighed and rounded up the smaller children in the living room. Robert turned to James and the rest of his Royal guests. “This way, your Majesties.”

Once they were in the basement Robert opened the cellar doors to the outside. Six Death Dealers entered the cellar carrying a black necrium steel coffin. Robert sighed then headed for the one room in the basement he didn’t want to open just them but knew that he had to. The basement’s hidden arms room. Once the door was opened three of the Death Dealers went inside. A few seconds later they returned carrying the body of Father Mike and placed him the coffin. The Captain in charge of the detail turned to Robert as they were closing the coffin.

“We’ll make sure he gets back to Fiddler’s Green Mister Wolff. We always take of our own. No matter where or even they fall.”

“Captain, Father Mike will not be returning to Fiddler’s Green. He died as a Death Dealer, but his greatest works were here at this orphanage.” Katsumi corrected him.

“Then where are we taking the Master Chief ma’am?” The Captain asked.

“To the only place that is befitting for one of Apollo six’s heroes. To the mountain side cemetery overlooking the city, Peace Memorial Gardens. Full honors Captain. Combat Arms Master Warrant Officer, James O’Brian was one of OURS.” Alice instructed the Death Dealers. “He will not be forgotten or dishonored.”

The detail all saluted at the same time then carried the coffin from the basement. As they left the basement Robert closed the outer door. He turned to Maiha asking. “Will his name at least be added to the Wall of Remembrance?”

“That is but one place his memory shall be held for all time.” Reverend Mother Katsumi told him as she place an arm over his shoulders. “Remember young Robert, Death Dealers always honor their fallen brothers and sisters.”

“So long as he isn’t forgotten.” Robert grunted then headed upstairs. “Right now, I got a sister that needs to pack for a trip to Hades.”

“This will be for the best cousin. I promise you.” James said to him.

Robert stopped on the third step of the stairs and looked over at James. “I’ll only say this once, cousin. If anything should happen to those kids at those schools. After I deal with the assholes. I’m coming for you.”

As Robert headed upstairs James turned to his mothers. “Why do I get the feeling that Ripper will gladly rip out of hearts and feed them to the dogs in the street?”

“Because he is as uncompromising when it comes to family as I am.” Maiha sighed looked up the stairs at the empty doorway. “Robert Wolff will shack the very pillars of heaven and hell to protect these children. Make no mistake about that my son.”

“I’ve said it before Maiha. I’ll say it again. You have a gift of understatement that is only surpassed by my grandmother.” James told her honestly.

“Then I hope you have an idea for how we’re going to honor Master Warrant Officer O’Brian in Fiddler’s Green. Because I sure as frack don’t.” James grunted.

“Worry not my son. I have a few ideas, but one stands out among them.” Maiha informed James as she took the steps with a grace that belied her strength.

Outside Arco dei Gavi, San Vitruvio, Gorgonzola Empire
1st/7th APS Regiment TOC, 5th Armored Division, 22nd Death Dealer Battlegroup

Colonel Jefferson Jackson looked at the two Lieutenants and one Yellow Star General from the Gorgonzola PDF in both wonder and confusion. Thirty minutes they had walked across No-man’s Land straight up to his front-line troops under a white flag. When he first heard what they we’re there for Jackson couldn’t believe his ears. The total, unconditional surrender of the remaining Gorgonzola Forces in and around Arco dei Gavi. As much as he wanted to accept their surrender he had to pass this one up the chain of command. He did the only thing he could.

“General I suggest you take a seat. This is going to take a while. I got to send this up the chain.” Jackson knew that the enemy General would walk out. Instead, the man sat down in a field chair.

“I will wait Comrade Colonel. I have been send here by the new ruling government.” The General told the very surprised Colonel. “My orders are not to return without an agreement between your forces and mine.”

“You know that Lady Saris might turn you down?” Jackson figured he might as well give the General the hard truth of the matter. “She has a real hardon for your Emperor and High Command.”

“She can have the Generals of the High Command. We will turn them over in one hour. As for the former Exalted Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana and his wife. They are no longer your concern. He was executed at sunrise on the palace steps. She was placed in a Clear-plex crystal at noon.” The General’s very blunt answer drew looks and gasps of surprise from the Death Dealer officers of the 1st/7th APS Regiment. “They were given a choice. They chose poorly.”

“I see. I hope you can provide proof. Because if you can’t Lady Saris will flatten every last inch of Arco dei Gavi.” Jackson snarled. “That’s not a threat General. It’s a stone-cold fact of life.”

“WE can provide proof Colonel. MY superiors wish to end this war. While there is still time to save what is left our nation.” The General told.

“Got news for you General. Your nation is dead. It doesn’t matter what else happens. The Gorgonzola Empire is through. Like me explain to you exactly where you and your superiors stand. Your Navy has been destroyed. Your Army is in ruins. The only active units you have left are the ones defending this city. Even now what was left your Planetary Defense Force is being blasted into the hereafter. Haven’t you figured it out yet shithead. We hit this planet with a tenth of our total military force. The rest of your nation was crushed just of fifth of our military.” Jackson whispered then went in for the kill. “Emperor James sent in only one, I repeat ONE, Death Dealer Battlegroup.”

“Just one Death Dealer Battlegroup.” The General whispered. “My Goddess. If just one Death Dealer Battlegroup could do this what would have happened if you hit us with all of your Battlegroups at once?”

“The war would have ended weeks ago. Then again most of your planets would have been turned into radioactive dust clouds. Understand something General. When Death Dealers go to war we never retreat, and never surrender. We pound our enemies into submission with our bar hands. We carve their hearts from their chests with our fingernails. Ripper their throats out with our teeth. Understand this General we bring everything that we are to the battlefield. That is a reason are battle cry is the most feared in the universe. Not because we have the best equipment or training. We fight for something far greater than ourselves.” Colonel Jackson was interrupted by the sounds of a FXDL-80 assault shuttle passing over head. “From the sounds of things your no longer my problem General.”

“What does that mean Colonel?” The Cheesehead General asked as he stood up.

“That shuttle is your ride. It seems that my CO wants to have a word with you.” Jackson snorted. “I told you that I had to send your request up the chain.”

“Very well. Thank you for your hospitality Colonel. Hopefully we can come to an accord and put an end to this war before there is any more unnecessary bloodshed.” As the Cheesehead General headed for the exit he was stopped by Jackson.

“Don’t count on it General. To many Death Dealers have valid enough reasons for leveling your city. The least of which is revenge.” Colonel Jackson warned him. When the two Lieutenants moved to join their General eight Pulse Plasms Lasers deployed. “You two stay here. Move towards that door and my men will cut you down.”

“WE CAME HERE UNDER A FLAG OF TRUCE!” The General yelled at the top of his voice.

“Which we have respected. If we hadn’t you would be laying dead in the middle of No man’s land. You don’t need your two butt boys to escort you from here.” Jackson waved to two of TOC guards. “Take those two back to the frontline and hold them there. If they try to run blow them to hell.”

“Colonel you’re overstepping your authority and violating the Accords.” The General snarled as the two Lieutenants were escorted from the TOC. “You will show me and my people the proper courtesies.”

“Not even close General. Your own people violated the accords on Apollo six first. The use of chemical weapons on civilian targets, mass murder of civilians, I can go on and on, but you get the idea. You and all of your High Command officers are wanted war criminals. I don’t have to show you shit frack face. Get him out of here Sergeant. I got an assault to finish planning.” Jackson snarled and turned his back on the enemy General and his escorts.

“You won’t DARE! There is a cease fire in place!” The General shouted.

“That is where you’re wrong General. The only thing in place is a temporary lull in the fighting.” Jackson snarled over his shoulder. “A piece of advice General. When you talk to Lady Saris. Talk fast. Because the clock is ticking. Very soon those city defenses of yours are going to be hammered by every last ship in our Battlegroup from low orbit. When they get done they’re going to turn their guns on the city itself. That doesn’t give you much time.”

T-98 Goliath MCP 22nd Death Dealer Battlegroup: 20minutes later

“Ma’am, the shuttle with the enemy General just landed. Where would you like us to take him?” Asked the Sergeant of the Guard.

“Nowhere. I’ll take to the asshole on the LZ.” Saris snarled and headed for the exit to here Goliath. “That way if I lose my temper we only have to clean up the body. The blood can soak into the ground.”

As Saris left the Goliath a young Second Lieutenant turned to his CO. “Sir would Lady Saris kill someone under a flag of truce?”

“Marks, the only reason Lady Saris is talking with that slug out there is because of that flag. Of all the First Lords and Ladies, she is the only one that the others fear. I remember the day that I first met the woman on New Texas. Not only did she impressed the hell out of me. She showed me what it meant to be a Death Dealer.” The Lieutenant General in charge of the aerospace fighter contingent chuckled. “Trust me Marks. Learn all that you can while under her command. She maybe unconventional but she has one of the finest military minds in all of the Empire. Just remember that when she gets pissed. Stay out of her way.

“Sir. Is the Lady Saris really that deadly?” The Lieutenant asked.

“She took a chance on a bunch of the rowdiest crop-dusters to turn the tide in the Battle for New Texas. Back then they were know simply as the one-twenty-seventh PDF Marine Attack Squadron and I was their CO. A lowly Lieutenant Colonel.” The General chuckled. “A rag tag band of misfits that gave the River sluts hell.”

“General McQueen, Lady Saris needs on the LZ.” A Sergeant called out to him.

“It seems that I get to play the part in this little game Lieutenant. Contact the rest of the twenty-second Wing. Have them fully fueled, armed, and ready to supply air support for the fleet within the next hour.” Lieutenant General T.C. McQueen ordered as he turned and left the Goliath. “Pass the word people. Death is Dealt by our hands!”

-----tbc-----

up
362 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Delay in posting of Chp24

wolfjess7's picture

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

I am sorry to report that there will be a slight delay for chapter 24. I will be extremely business with RL for the next 2 weeks. Both my husband and I will be spending that time with our 4H kids. They have competitions over the next 2 weekends. Wish us luck.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Please enjoy your time with the kids

Wolfjess, you have labored diligently to keep us entertained with this latest Death Dealer saga, despite your hospitalization and recovery down time. I am most thankful for your efforts and I hope that your time with the 4H kids brings you as much pleasure as I get from reading your sagas. While you are having fun with the kids, I will content myself by rereading this story so I am primed for the next chapter.

Thanks again for all that you do- not only are writings entertaining, they are thought provoking and help me re-examine attitudes and beliefs.

Thx again for another great

Thx again for another great chapter^^
And take all the time you need for your kids, they come 1st, of course.
BTW: what does 4H mean?

4-H is a youth organization

wolfjess7's picture

4-H is an organization for our youth that promotes citizenship, leadership, responsibility and life skills through experiential learning programs and a positive youth development approach. Its name is a reference to the occurrence of the initial letter H four times in the organization's original motto "head, heart, hands, and health". I hope this answers your question. If you Wish to know more you can find the whole story on wikipeida.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Thx for the explanation^^.

Thx for the explanation^^. Since I don't live in the USA, I don't have much need for more information. The only things which might come remotely close to that are sport clubs where I live.

projects

smdani4mm's picture

what kinds of projects do the kids have? Cattle, Sheep, Rabbits, Chickens, Legos, Cooking, Sewing, Etc?

Dani

SmDani4

terms of surrender

I hope the General is smart enough to realize he is seriously boned if he does anything but unconditionally surrender

DogSig.png

Doesn't seem fair, but is understandable

Jamie Lee's picture

For several weeks, Apollo6 only had a few Death Dealers with them. Now after pest control efforts were successful, Apollo6 has some very pissed off Dealth Dealers in their mists. Death Dealers with enough equipment to take down anything getting in their way.

SWAT may be perfect for civilian problems but are way out of their element when dealing with Death Dealers. Yes sir, no sir, are better responses when Death Dealers show up wearing their big toys.

It doesn't seem fair, but is understandable, to rid Goulcrest of the gangs who helped liberate Goulcrest. They fought, and died, along side others in Goulcrest to take care of Cheeseheads and Brownshirts.

Still, knowing what they now know, and with the weapons they now have in their hands, and are likely to hide away, they can't be left to run free. Robert did the right thing by suggesting they be recruited instead of left to be jailed. After all, they have the whereforeall to fight when necessary. Raw talent can be trained, as Ripper has shown.

That orphanage is now under the protection of the Royals, though it's the Sisters who will be administering the daily operations. And pity anyone stupid enough to bother them and tick off the sisters.

Those teens have never trusted anyone but Robert, for obvious reasons. So when they were told they were being sent to school off planet, and leaving home, they balked. No one off planet, except Robert, has ever shown an interest in the orphanage or the kids there. Now that has changed. Now those teens will be able to attend schools they could only dream of attending, if then.

James better have a word with the headmasters, or head mistresses, of the schools those kids attend. And make it quite clear what will happen if something happens to any of those kids. Quite clear in that those responsible will meet one Death Dealer Robert Wolff, aka the Ripper.

Then James better look for some obscure place to hide, or just dig his own 3x6x6 hole.

RL comes first, Jess, especially family. Hope the kids do well with their 4H projects.

Others have feelings too.