Wolff of the Endless Waltz -chapter 19

Printer-friendly version


Wolff of the Endless Waltz


For 35yrs the border between the Human Empire and Gorgonzola Empire as remained mostly peaceful. The citizens for the Human Empire of this border region are loyal to the last man, woman, and child to the Empire. It was on one of these worlds that gave birth to a legend. The world of Apollo 6 is one of the harshest worlds within the Empire. One so harsh that only it could claim to be the birth world of James J. Owens, the most feared of Death Dealers. A world that is even now poised to give birth to a new legendary warrior. One who shall be baptized in the blood of the Empire’s enemies. Robert Wolff youngest great grandchild of James Owens’ sister Cecilia Owens.


Chapter 19
Arco dei Gavi, Capital City, San Vitruvio, Gorgonzola Empire.
War room, Ministry of Intelligence

Warlord Green Star General Steven von Price looked down at the map of the Gorgonzola Empire and their ever-shrinking territory. In the last few months seven of their States had fallen to the rapidly advancing Human Empire forces. The strange thing was those States, and their planets were just surrendering at the first sign of a Human Empire Taskforce. Then there was the disturbing reports of Gorgonzola citizens turning on their leaders. Warlords being drug from their homes and hanged in Government squares or beheaded. The unrest was spreading throughout their nation like an uncontrolled wildfire.

“Damnation. Why is this happening now?” Price snarled as he pounded the table.

“Sir, I have a theory.” A young Intelligence Lieutenant said from behind him.

“Right now, Lieutenant Strauss, I’m willing to listen to anything.” Price snarled.

“Sir, I’ve looked at the planets that revolted. Each one was a strategic planet. A vital point in our supply chain. The Human Empire would have assuredly targeted them for their Special Operations Team Death Dealers. I have studied these teams of Death Dealers, sir. They specialize in turning local populations against the local governments. They are more teachers of warfare than actual warriors. This is their greatest strength. The Human Empire has a name for these type of tactic, it’s one that fits those teams, Force Multipliers.” Strauss explained for Price.

“Shouldn’t the local Warlords have stamped out any type of local resistance long before it grew to such dire situations?” Price asked in confusion.

“Sir, from what I’ve been able to gather these Special Operations teams actually use those types of tactics to increase the numbers of the local resistance fighters.” Strauss took a deep breath because he knew that the next part of his explanation could be considered treason. “Sir, they use our very system of control as a weapon against us. They turn the rightful planetary leaders into villains. It is something that they actually specialize in preforming. The Human Empire is an expert in playing the long game sir. I believe that the Human Empire has been smuggling in teams of the Special Operations Groups for the last three decades.”

“Are you saying that Empress Maiha has been sending these teams into our nation for the last thirty plus years?” Price demanded in shock. “How?”

“Sir this is only a guess, but I would say the Human Empire has been using pirate and other types of smuggler ships to move those teams into our territory. That or an as of yet unknow type of stealth dropship.” Strauss answered honestly.

“Let us assume that they were using smugglers. I doubt the Human Empire endanger something as a stealth dropship using it to deliver suicide troops.” Price snorted.

“Sir, that is a misconception. The Special Operations Death Dealers are not suicide troops. They going into an operational area knowing that they may well die, but they never believe that it is an automatic one-way trip. Another thing about those troops, sir. They’ll fill ten body bags at the bare minimum before dying.” Strauss knew that his commanders didn’t understand the threat that the Special Operations teams presented to the Gorgonzola Empire, and every nation in the Human Universe.

“Tell me something Lieutenant Strauss. How is it you know so much about there Special Operations team Death Dealers?” Price asked politely.

“Sir, before I was stationed here at Arco Dei Gavi, I was a member of the Boarder Evaluation Threat Command. One of my duties there was to study those very teams, sir. I learned a great deal about them and what made them tic. They are not like regular Death Dealers or even the rest of the Empyreal Military. Those men and women are a breed apart, sir. The way they think, and what they believe is not ordinary. They all have this belief in something beyond themselves and their nation. That is the only way I can explain it to you sir.” Strauss tried to explain.

Price sat back down in his chair and looked up Strauss. “Lieutenant did you know the nation that gave birth to our Empire on Earth Prime had similar soldiers? It is ancient history now, but they were known as the French Foreign Legion. They came from all over Earth Prime. They all came for their own reasons. Some were running from criminal charges, some were seeking adventure, others were looking for a new start, while a few were hunting for a reason just to live. Their reasons were many, but they all ended up believing in the same thing. The Legion.”

“Whatever happened to those soldiers sir?” Strauss asked with real feeling.

“No one really knows, Lieutenant. They just faded away into the history books. The last that they were heard from was around the end of the twenty-second century. It was said that during the Fourth Great European War they held their ground to the last man in defense of Paris.” Price sighed and looked down at the table. “What I wouldn’t give right now to have just one battalion of those brave men.”

“Sir, I have a message from the front.” A young privet said as the door to the room slammed open. Price turned and nodded his head. “It is confirmed the following States have fallen to the Human Empire. Hope’s Heart, Grand Illusion, Capricorn Goddess, Goddess Columbia, and Eiffel’s Gift.”

“That makes thirteen out of fifteen states that have fallen. All in just four months.” Price sighed heavily. He looked up at Strauss before waving for the privet to leave them. With the door closed Price stood up and walked towards his office window. “Tell me something Strauss. How do you see the final days of nation playing out? You can be truthful with me.”

“It is not my place.” Strauss began only to have Price interrupt him with a glare. “Then permission to speak freely sir?”

“Given. I want the unvarnished truth from a member of the front-line officers corp. If I want rose-colored opinions I’ll ask one of those sycophants in the outer office. Now get on with it.” Price ordered.

“At the current rate of the Human Empire is advancing our nation’s capital will be under attack in fifteen days. During that time, their Naval Forces will annihilate all but the smallest portion of our Grand Fleet. Maybe ten percent of our forces will remain to defend the capital. I can give you a guess as to the makeup of that Naval force sir if you like?” Price just nodded his head fearing he wasn’t going to like what he was about to hear.

“Given the current tactics of the Human Empire. The only ships that will remain to defend the capital will be one Supercarrier, two Battleships, and have of their normal escort ships. As for our Battle Platforms, they will have all been destroyed by the end of this week. It seems that while the enemy’s standard Naval and Standard Army forces have been capturing territory. The Death Dealer Battle Groups have been engaged in seek and destroy missions targeting our Battle Platforms.” Strauss watched as Price’s shoulders slowly slummed with his report. “Sir, the reports of the Shinigami Battle being almost indestructible are true.”

“Impossible! Anything made by man! Can be destroyed by man! They may have built and name those monsters after the Death Gods. They’re still just machines!” Price snarled but knew deep in his heart that the Shinigami platforms really were just that much better. No matter what their engineers told them. “How soon until the last of our Battle Platforms are destroyed, Strauss?”

“If I go by their current rate sir. We have maybe fifteen to twenty days at the most. It seems that Emperor James Nakatoma is set on leaving us totally defenseless.” Strauss grunted. “Though the nineth and tenth Battle Fleets might slow them down.”

“It is more than just that Strauss. Our glorious leader and his family has longed believed that they are the rightful rulers of the Human Universe. By that I mean all of the known human universe. The problem is the truth. Of all the nations that currently make up the human universe only one can trace its actual founding to Earth Prime. The Human Empire and their Royal Family. If they wanted they could calm all of the Human Universe legitimately. Until just thirty-five years ago they never stepped out of the shadows. If not for one man’s foolish grab for power the Nakatomas and their allies the Owens would have forever remained in the shadows. They were the true power behind the Dan Royal Family.” The more Price talked about the Nakatoma Royal Family the more Strauss became confused.

“I don’t understand sir. If they have such a great claim to the Human Empire’s throne. Why did they settle for just supporting a lesser Family?”

“The answer to that question lies over five-hundred years ago in the past. I doubt that anyone truly knows the answer other than the Nakatomas and the Owens. There can be no two families that have such powerful ties to the seat of power than they. Yet they never pursued that power for themselves. Both families are true mysteries. Though they went out of their way to protect the current rulers of their nation.” Price could only marvel at the strength of those two families.

“Then why would they take the Thorne after so long sir?” Strauss asked in confusion.

“For two reasons. First because they were forced to. Second for revenge. What little I, known of the two families revolves around a sacred promise that goes back to the very founding of their nation. Before you ask how I know this I too spent time in that area of operation. Only I was further involved. I was an actual deep penetration asset. I studied the High Families of the Human Empire and the politics that revolved around those powerful families.” Price got a faraway look in his eyes. “The pact is to defend. When defense has failed. The pact is to avenge.”

“Damn that is some hardcore beliefs sir. Could those same beliefs be driving the Empire’s current assault on us?” Strauss asked with really worry.

“Most likely Strauss. I wouldn’t have put it passed Empire James to have given personal orders to each and every Command in the steamroller that is currently crushing our forces. The use of seven-forty Core Crackers was just their opening salvo for revenge. The total annihilation of our military and the destruction of their support planets fits with their ideal of Total War. Though unlike our military, theirs doesn’t engage in genocide warfare. What that means is that they do not deliberately target civilians. For any reason. Should there be civilians at a strategic target that is another matter.” Price explained for the befuddled Strauss.

“Then I must revise my earlier estimated time for the arrival of the Empire’s leading forces sir.” Strauss told Price as he grasped the meaning behind Price’s words. “If we go by your analysis of the Nakatoma Family and their military. We have maybe ten to twelve days before the arrival of the first Death Dealer Battle Groups. Though I cannot be certain of that timeline sir.” Strauss explained.

“Any idea of how to present this newest information to our Glorious Leader?” Price snarked then laughed at look of constipation on Strauss’ face. “Don’t worry Lieutenant. If anyone has to face the Exalted Supreme High Chancellor with this latest prediction it will be the Grand Warlord of The Undefeated Divisions, Siriano Leonti’s honor. One that I’m sure he’ll glory in.”

Both men chuckled over Price’s last comment. The knock at Price’s door drew their attention. Mostly because they both knew that only the most pressing of damning of circumstances would have most someone interrupting them. Price called out. “Come.”

A young Sergeant enter the office and saluted the two officers. At Price’s nod he began his report. “Sir, a report just came in from the Galileo Sphere State High Command. Our heavy construction shipyards at Anapus and Caothea have been destroyed. Only one ship was able to clear the yards before they were destroyed. A light torpedo destroyer named the Assassin. Sir the Assassin was destroyed within minutes of launching. She and her crew never stood a chance sir.”

“That it then.” Price sighed. “Our Empire is done. Without those heavy construction shipyards, we have no way of replacing our losses or repairing our damaged ships in time to form even the smallest of resistance.”

“Thank you, Sergeant. That’ll be all for now. Return to your normal duties.” Strauss sighed as he knew that Price wanted to be alone. Once they were alone again Strauss pulled out his com-pad. “Sir, if I factor in this new information.”

“Never mind Strauss. I’ve already figured it out. The Death Dealers will reach our capital planet in less than a standard week. Contact Grand Warlord of the Navy, Amore Sala. Have him meet with me just after lunch at thirteen hundred. After you have done that take the rest of the day off. That’ll be all Strauss.” Priced ordered his aid. Once he was alone in his office Price sighed. “If we’re to save even a small portion of our nation. We have to overthrow Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana and his followers. Operation Blind Redemption is aptly named.”

Lion's Tail Star System
Super Carrier Lady Dai Etsu, Empyreal Naval Fleet

Newly promoted Five Star Grand Fleet Admiral, Lord Danial Cosby stood looking out at the massive fleet that now gathered in the Lion’s Tail. Surrounding his 1st Fleet were the 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th and 24th Fleets. Not sense the First Succession War had such a massive Naval force been gather by the Human Empire. The sheer firepower gather in this one sector of space was mind blowing. It was also firepower that Danial had used to destroy 80% of the Gorgonzola Navy.

He had gladly let the Death Dealers and Army pound the Gorgonzola Army into a blood smear. All while his Admirals lead theirs Carrier groups on a steamrolling crusade against the enemy navy. More than one Gorgonzola Fleet or Battlegroup had found themselves meat for the grinder that was war. Even with the almost nonstop combat of their operations his forces’ losses were surprising low. He knew that this trend couldn’t continue. “What am I missing?”

“What was that sir?” The current watch Helmsman asked.

“Nothing, Helmsman Stone. Just talking to myself.” Danial sighed then gave his 3rd watch Helmsman a nasty smile. “Before you say it, Stone. Yes I know that is the first sign of going insane. That only applies if I answer myself.”

“Yes sir.” The young Ensign chuckled. Most of the 3rd watch bridge crew were surprised that the Grand Fleet Admiral was even this far forward in a combat zone. The crazy thing was he was even walking the Command Deck during their watch. “Sir, I know that this is going to sound stupid. Is there anything we can help you with?”

“Not really Ensign Stone.” Cosby told the young man honestly. Then he remembered a quote from a famous Admiral of the 20th century. “Then again in the words of an ancient blue water Admiral. ‘Some of the best advice I've had comes from junior officers and enlisted men.’ Have any of you observed our low causality rate?”

“Aye sir.” Came from almost every member the bridge crew.

“I know that you all have your own ideas on the matter. Ones that I want to hear. So, we’ll go Round-Robin around the bridge stations starting with Helm. Let me have it people.” Cosby called out. “Oh, and ladies and gentlemen. No idea is off the table. I don’t care how far out there your idea is.”

“Aye, sir. We understand. Seeing as how I opened my mouth I’ll be happy to start off. The one thing I’ve noticed about the Gorgonzola ships is the way they maneuver. As a Helmsmen we have to qualify more each class of ship before we graduate. The Gorgonzola ships are slower and have problems making turns. It’s almost like their thrusters cannot handle the load of combat maneuvers.” Stone said from his position.

“You’re saying that during combat they become vulnerable during normal evasive drills? You’ve got to be shitting me, Ensign.” Cosby snarked.

“Sir, Ensign Stone maybe onto something. We’ve been going over the recordings of our engagements with the enemy in my spare time. There is a pattern to the enemy losses. While our carriers, battleships, battlecruisers, and cruisers, all maneuver slightly better than their enemy counterparts. It is the smaller destroyers, frigates, and corvettes that really outshine the enemy. These smaller ships are just faster and more maneuverable in every way. The actual number of enemy kills for our fleets belong to them.” The Ensign in charge of Tactical commented. “There is also something else sir. I hope that Engineering can back me on my hunch. The actual construction of the enemy ships is substandard to our own.”

“Substandard is a fracking understatement, Beth. Chief Collins of the Lady Fuyuko grabbed some of their hull metal. Every Engineer in the Fleet has been poring over Chief Collins analysis of that crap.” The Engineering Ensign grunted then swiveled around in his chair to face Cosby. “And sir, I do mean crap.”

“Explain, Ensign Hall, and use terms that the rest of your fellow shipmates can understand. I know how Engineers get when excited.” Cosby chuckled as did the rest of the 3rd watch bridge crew.

“To put it simply sir. The armor of the Gorgonzola Fleet is for shit. Unlike our armor which is made of multilayered composite armor theirs is barely better than a homogeneous steel composite. Most of the Chiefs have been trying to figure how they can even keep their ships from decompressing from the first hit.” As Cosby listened to the young Engineering Ensign the more he realized that the young man might have a theory behind the lower grade construction of the enemy ships.

“Ensign Hall, from the way you’re talking you have a theory for the discrepancies. Care to share it with the rest of us?”

“Well sir, it’s only a theory, but I believe that when they lost their main ships at Ryan’s Run thirty-five years ago they also lost their access to higher grade construction materials. Things like dura grade ceramics, Boskine glass, and in all actuality Cheylium construction steel. Without those the Cheeseheads lack the needed resources to manufacture composite dropship armor, sir.” Hall answered quickly.

“Hold up here Mike. Why would they lose their access to those three materials? Couldn’t they just ship them to their new heavy construction shipyards?” Asked the Ensign assigned to the Communications station.

“You can ship those types of materials between planets without increasing the cost of construction. By the way it would become extremely prohibitive. Not even we could afford those costs, Terry. The only reason we can afford to build on the level that we do is where our shipyards located.” Mike chuckled.

“That explains a few things. Anyone else got an idea as to why our losses are so low?” Cosby asked of the young bridge crew.

“Just one, sir. It concerns their operational strengths, sir. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the Cheeseheads operate in a one-three formation. Where we operate in a far more traditional one-two-one diamond formation. We also use a wheel formation for our convoy units. Never allowing one ship to be singled out by the enemy ships. While at the same time allowing them to provide fire support to one another.” Lieutenant Senior Grade Alice Holmes suggested for Cosby.

“Correct me if I’m wrong Lieutenant, but isn’t your Combat Station in Tactical Operations?” Cosby asked her with a slight smile.

“Yes sir. I normally report to Lieutenant Commander Dorchester during combat ops. I’ve had more than one chance to study the enemy’s tactical operations. At first I was confused by the way they kept shifting their smaller ships to the rear of their formations. Instead of moving them towards the flanks as we do sir.” As the young tactical officer explained her thoughts Cosby could see it playing out in his head.

“By the gods of battle. I need to fire every one of my staff and promote you lot in the damned places.” Cosby snarled. “Thank you ladies and gentlemen. You’ve all been able to see shit that people with years of experience failed to see.”

“Sir, one more thing before you leave for the night.” The Weapons Officer duty said stopping Cosby as he turned towards the exit. “It concerns the actual Cheeseheads weapons and targeting systems.”

“What do you have Guns?” Cosby asked with a nasty smile. He was liking where this impromptu Command Staff briefing. The thought of talking to this group of hard chargers more often crossed his mind.

“During our last engagement I noticed something strange about the impact of their weapons. None of them were nearly as effective as our own. Their actual efficiency is around seventy to eighty precent of our own. Where our main guns, especially those of the battleships penetrate to their inner hulls on the first hit. Theirs barely peel the paint. It normally takes them two or three strikes in the same area to penetrate our outer armor layers. Also, sir I’ve noticed that we have been able to engage the enemy at a greater distance. Usually by several kilometers.” Cosby stood stock still as the young man discussed the enemy weapons.

“What about their railguns, missiles and torpedoes Guns? What can you tell me about those? Is there a range and performance deference there as well?” Cosby asked quickly. He really wanted, no needed, to know.

“Yes, sir. They have to be ten kilometers closer for their missiles and twenty for their torpedoes to have a reliable lock. Their impact and explosive power is also a third of our standard Mark-seventy-eights. More along the line of a Mark-forty-one or forty-two. Something the Army would mount on their helo-attack craft. As for their missiles I have to say the same thing. Somewhere along our SAM-forties. Nowhere near our SAM-eighty-ones. As for their railguns I have to be honest. They’re barely better than a one-twenty smooth bore. As for the kinetic impact. I can only say that the autocannons on our fighters have more punch, sir.”

“Lieutenant what is your name?” Cosby was actually embarrassed at not recalling the young man’s name.

“Lieutenant Junior Grade, Steven Strum, sir.” He answered quickly.

“Before the end of watch Lieutenant Holmes, I want you to write up everything that was discussed here this evening and send it to all senior command staff. By that I mean every department head on this damned ship. I want those above you to know exactly what they’ve been ignoring. Every last one of you have been able to answer questions that have been plaguing the shit out of me and them for the last week.” Cosby ordered as he looked around the bridge. “It seems that those words from long ago still hold true for today. The best ideas come from junior officers and enlisted men. You can expect to see me more often ladies and gentlemen.”

With that Cosby left the bridge. Little did he realize how he late night talk would impact the lives of the bridge. In years to come long after Cosby retired those young officers would be using him as an example on how to be a leader of men.

Howel’s Solar System, Human Empire
Everfoot Harbor Shipyards

Shipyard Manager Gram Whittemore stood passively at the observation dome of the central control tower. His sole purpose for being here was to watch the launch of Empyreal Battle Platform EBP-78. The massive ship would undergo several weeks of shack down cruses before being handed over to the Empyreal Fleet. The sound of his aid’s cough drew Gram’s attention. “What is it Dale?”

“A request for information from Grand Fleet Admiral, Lord Danial Cosby, sir.”

“Why would they Empyreal Naval Commander be contact us?” Gram asked his aid.

“It concerns a possible connection to the construction methods and materials of the Gorgonzola shipyards. It seems that there are massive discrepancies in our current Naval War Book. Some that are so far off that there is no way our Commanders in the field that are running into unexpected victories. It is throwing off their tactical calculations. According to the Admiral it is his hope that we might be able to clear up these discrepancies before he can continue with his campaign.” Dale explained for the Yard Master.

“Damn. Did he send a list of those discrepancies?” Gram asked in surprise.

“Yes sir. And I have to admit that the list is quite long.” Dale told him as he hand over the message from Admiral Cosby. “Sir, one of those discrepancies concerns the use of homogeneous steel composites for the construction of warships.”

“Did you say homogeneous steel composites being used the construction in warships? Are they fracking mad?! They might as well be using tissue paper to cover the farms. The only thing that crap is good for is civilian cargo ships.” Gram grunted.

“Yes sir. That is exactly what the reports reads. Sir, could the Cheeseheads use of homogeneous steel composite armor actually affect the performance of their ships?” This was a troubling thought for Dale as he was actually thinking of making the suggestion to the materials as a cost cutting measure.

“In more ways than just protective plating Dale. You seeing homogeneous steel flexes under stress. Under normal conditions such as landing or liftoff through atmosphere you need that flex. That makes it perfect for civilian cargo dropships. Yet the stresses of combat are far from ideal. The high-g maneuvers that ships in combat must perform exceed the tolerances of homogenous steel. You’ll notice that we only use multilayering of ferro-fibber, ceramic composite, and dushiulium steel in the construction of the Shinigami. However, we also use the same process in all other class of ships that come from this yard. The only deference is we use graytrium steel instead of the dushiulium because of cost.” Gram explained kindly for the younger man. “Graytrium cost about a tenth of dushiulium.”

“Why is that sir? I know that both metals are easily mined. Not too mention in great abondance within this asteroid belt.”

“It’s the smelting process that separates the cost of the two metals Dale. The two metals maybe in abondance and easy to mine, but the temperatures it takes to metal just one ton of dushiulium are twice that of graytrium.” Gram informed his aid. “I think that you need to spend some time with Mr. Thorn over in our foundry. Along with some time in Design, and the actual Docks under one of our Yard Supervisors.”

“Why do you say that sir?” Dale asked in confusion.

“Dale, you’ve seen nothing but the Management side of the business here. I know that you’re well educated. It is one of the reasons I hired you, but you lack firsthand experience of the yards and what we do here. That being said, you’re still one of the finest aids I’ve had in years.”

“Thank you sir. Though I do have another question. It concerns our usage of the ceramics and ferro-fibber in our armor.” Dale began only to stop as Gram chuckled.

“I’ll go ahead and tell you now. Those two additional items reinforce the outer hull materials. Both of which can become overstressed without that reinforcement. Take some time and review the construction details of the ships we build here, Dale. Start with the corvettes and work your way up through the classes. It’ll be a good knowledge base for you in the future. One that will be more useful than you realize right now.” Gram explained then looked back out the observation window. “For now, I need you to contact Master Shipwrights Cocks and Henderson. Tell them that they are to meet me in one hour. They’re to bring all their data on the Gorgonzola ships and their construction methods.”

Five hours later a highly compressed data packet was on its way to Grand Fleet Admiral Cosby. In that packet everything the Yard Master and every Shipwright had been able to theorize about the ships of the Gorgonzola Empire. They had completely rewritten the War Book for that nation. What that august body of men would never realize was how many lives their contribution would save in the rest of the war.

Eiffel’s Gift, Gorgonzola Empire
Flag Ship Storm falcon, The Beam Nebula

Four Green Star Admiral Beachem Noisome looked out the forward view screen of his carrier’s command deck. He could not believe what he was seeing. Out of a fleet of over 200 ships he was down to just 85. Most of those were destroyer class and below. The greatest loss was his Battle platform, Revolution. He still could not believe that he had been forced to abandon ship during their last battle.

What he couldn’t figure out was how those Human Empire scum were able to destroy his ship. He knew that the New Castle Battle Platforms were supposed to be on par with the Empire’s Shinigami. Yet it was as if the weapons of his ship weren’t even peeling the damned paint on that monster. Then there were those damned corvettes of the enemy fleet. They swarmed in tight to his ships delivering deadly torpedo and missile fire. The enemy battleships just stood off blasting gaping holes in the battleships and carriers of his fleet. None of what he witnessed during the that battle made any sense to him.

“Sir, I have the final report from the fleet.” His XO said as he stepped up to stand beside him. “Sir, it’s not good.”

“Just tell me our situation, Number One. No need for commentary.” Noisome snapped.

“We have maybe four to five weeks of operational supplies. If we refuse to engage the enemy. We can stretch that to seven weeks at the most. There are currently nine ships in the fleet that will need to spend time in the repair docks or with a repair ship. If our docks or repair ships are still operating.” That last part was delivered in a whisper so that only Noisome could hear.

“Understandable Number One. We can only hope that is the reason of our Navy is faring better than we are. If not then our Empire is done for. Please continue with the report.” Noisome asked trying to keep from sighing in defeat already.

“Yes sir. The status of the Carrier Crosswinds can be upgraded to combat worthy. They completed their repairs during the third watch. Carrier Southern Cross will being transferring her fighters and bombers later this morning. Captain Thunderbird as sent over the last of his repairs. The ones that cannot be completed without a repair ship or dockyard.” The XO lowered his voice once more. “Sir, the Southern Cross is damaged to the point that our only option is to scuttle her.”

“Is the damage that heavy Number One?” Noisome asked not wanting to lose another ship under his dwindling command. When his XO nodded his head Noisome sighed and gave the order. “Have Thunderbird being transferring his people to the Crosswinds and the other ships in the fleet. Strip the Southern Cross of supplies than can be used by the other ships. Spread them among the fleet.”

“That’ll take time sir. Time that I doubt we have.” Noisome’s XO answered honestly. “It would be better to just transfer the supplies and let the Southern Cross’s crew land her on one of the nearby planets.”

“As much as that sounds appealing XO. We need those personnel. Too many of our people are dead or wounded. Now give the order to begin the transfer of those supplies and personnel.” Noisome ordered harshly. “Once that done we’ll move into position and scuttle her ourselves.”

“Yes sir.” The XO had answered just as a warning klaxon sounded across the bridge. “Oh shit! They’ve found us again.”

“It seems that our Devil and their Demons are yet dancing to the Fiddler’s tune, Number One. Sound the call to battle stations. We might as well go down guns blazing.” Noisome sighed and looked out at the forward view screen. There before his eyes were the blazing lights of hundreds of hyper jump gates opening. He knew the fleet that was coming through those gates vastly outnumbered his own.

“SIR! WE HAVE INCOMING TRAFFIC FROM THE ENEMY FLEET!” The Coms Officer called out.

“Put it on the forward monitor Coms.” Noisome order and waited for the inevitable order from the enemy commander to surrender. When the screen showed the face of Admiral Danial Cosby Noisome knew that his fleet’s time has at an end. “Welcome to Eiffel’s Gift Nebula. I take it by your communique that you wish to offer terms?”

“You could say that Noisome. By the War Conventions we are required to offer you terms of surrender. Personally, I hope you refuse the terms.” Cosby snarled.

“What are your terms, Cosby?” Noisome asked to the astonishment of his crew.

“Unconditional. You and your crew will abandon your ships in the next hour and a half. I will allow you time to scuttling charges for your ships. If our scans are accurate your ships are barely combat operable to begin with. You have fifteen minutes to make your final decision. Cosby out.”

“Well ladies and gentlemen. We have a choice to make.” Noisome said as he looked around at the bridge crew. “Do we fight to the end or spend the rest of the war as guesses of the Human Empire. I’ll be honest here people. Our chances of survival are slim to none. We’re outgunned and outnumbered. Our chances of resupply are just as slim. We currently have four to five weeks of operational supplies. As for our munitions those are down to one or two engagements. Our carriers have lost more than two-thirds of their aerospace fighters and bombers. Our forward Scouting ships are gone. To be blunt the only way I can see out of our current situation is to run. Even if we run it won’t be for long. As it is we’ll need to abandon the Southern Cross, Far View, Bikini Atoll, and Legionnaire.”

“Sir I think I can speak for the crew of Strom falcon. We accept their terms. There is no glory in dying for a lost Empire.” His XO told him honestly. “AS for the other ships and their captains I’m sure that if you put it to a vote. They’ll be the first ones to raise the white flag.”

“Very well we’ll put your suggestion to the test. Coms contact the other ships.” Noisome ordered. When they were all on the forward view screen Noisome got straight to the point. “Ladies and gentlemen, the Human Empire has found us. They have also offered us terms of surrender. We have one hour to reply. How say you?”

Thirty minutes later very escape pod, shuttle, and captain’s skiff was clearing their ships. It wasn’t long before HES Battlecruisers Arapahoe, Comanche, and Blackfoot began rescue operations. At exactly 60 minutes following the last captain’s skiff lunch the Storm falcon exploded. She was rapidly fallowed by the Crosswinds and Southern Cross. Only one ship remained. The supply ship Mersham that quickly became the home for the wounded members of Noisome’s fleet. Those men would soon be jumping out to the nearest Gorgonzola held planet. The rest of the fleet members were being held board the 3 HES Battlecruisers in their cargo holds as POWs until they could be transferred to an Overlord class dropship.

Arco dei Gavi, Capital City, San Vitruvio, Gorgonzola Empire.
Empyreal Throne room

Exalted Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana could only sit and stare at the map of his dwindling empire. In the last few weeks, the fortunes of his Empire had drastically changed. How could those whores the Nakatoma’s accomplish this great military victory with such a small military. Everything his spies had told him told him that they didn’t have the military force to move against him.

“Can someone please explain to my why the Human Empire haven’t run out of supplies by now? I gave the Nero Orders weeks ago. They should be starving aboard their ships. Yet they keep marching across our Empire as if their supplies lines mean nothing to them. They’ve destroyed more than three quarters of our fleet. What is going on here? Why can’t we stop them?”

“We’re still trying to understand what exactly is going on sir. Our greatest handicap is the lack of communication between High Command and our Defensive Forces. Without the State Capital Planets to confirm and relay orders the rest of the PDFs are only defending their home planets. Most of those have been overrun.” Grand Warlord of The Undefeated Divisions, Siriano Leonti slowly explained for Juliana. Only to have Juliana erupt in a blind rage.

“WHAT?! By whom? The Empire would have to drop twenty-five combat divisions on every planet they come to! They don’t have the forces to achieve this kind of rapid nonstop conquest. Where the hell are these troops coming from?”

“Sire, it is our own people that have turned on the PDF troops and their rightful Planetary Overlords. The Ministry of Intelligence has proposed a reason behind this sudden disturbance among our nation’s population.” Leonti told his Emperor.

“What is it? Tell me how our people could turn against their rightful rulers?”

“Over the last thirty years the Human Empire has been smuggling their Special Operations Death Dealer teams into our nation. These teams special in destabilizing local governments and leading resistance cells. It is their belief that it has been teams such as these that have led to the revolts on several our planets over the last three decades. These same teams are even now leading our people in open revolt against our Overlords.” As Leonti gave his report Juliana seethed with rage.

“Please explain to me Leonti. Exactly how could it be possible for the Human Empire to smuggle in that many of these Special Operations teams?”

“The same way that they were able to drop twenty-four of the Seven-Forty Core Crackers on our State Capital Planets, sire. They used corvette class freighters and pirates ships. These small yet versatile ships are the perfect vessel for such operations, and many, many, more. I could send all day listing the number of types of tactical operations this ships can perform. Over the years we have tried to repeatedly copy their design.” Leonti sighed and looked down at the report from the Ministry of Intelligence. “But our shipyards have failed repeatedly.”

“Why is that Leonti? We have spies within their shipyards don’t we?”

“We have spies within their shipyards sire. That is not the problem. The problem is their Design Bureau keeps the actual designs for their corvette class ships under the strictest of security. With the heavy dockyard security there is no way for our people to actually photograph the construction of the ships.” Leonti explained as he tried to keep his own anger in control over the situation.

“Leonti, how long before we can expect to wait until we are under the guns of the first Shinigami, or will they just send their carrier groups to end the war?”

“If the predictions supplied by the Ministry of Intelligence are to be believed, sire. We have less than fifteen days before San Vitruvio comes under direct attack. I have had my staff run multiple combat scenarios. I have the results of those scenarios sire.” Leonti said knowing that Juliana wasn’t going to like them.

“What are they?” Juliana asked heavily.

“Depending on how the enemy comes at us. The outer planetary defense ring will fall within one to two hours after their arrival. Four hours after that each major city will come under orbital bombardment as they’re Assault Dropships land at designated targets across the planet. Before the end of the day, they have predicted a told of one-hundred-and-fifty combat divisions of the Human Empire will have swarmed our planet. Of those fifty will be Death Dealers.” Leonti told Juliana. “Sire, that is more than three to one odds in the Human Empire’s favor. If we add in this new tactic of theirs. The odds jump to almost eight to one in their favor.”

“What new tactic?” Juliana asked with concern.

“Thirty years ago, the Human Empire started to use their destroyers, frigates, and corvettes as fast attack aerial artillery units. The ground forces have a direct line of communication with those ships. Should they encounter will intrenched enemy positions. These commanders call in the position and those ships drop down from orbit. They pound the enemy position into glass.” Leonti told his Emperor honestly. Leonti watched as the color drained from Juliana’s face as he told him who first pioneered the tactic. “The War Princess Allison was the one to first use the tactic during their last War of Succession during the Battle of Bulwark Mountain on Seth. It is said that the War Princess wanted to use Battleships for the attack.”

“By the Gods of Battle! Is she insane? I know that the Dowager Empress was known for unconventional and unorthodox tactics. I would even expect that from her, but not the War Princess.” Juliana grunted in shock.

“Sire, the whole Royal Family of the Human Empire is known for thinking outside of the conventional box for tactics. Even the current Empress is unconventional. According to our spies her combat record is only equaled by the Commander of their escort squadron. I have to be honest sire. Our chances of surviving a direct attack by the Human Empire and their Death Dealers is next to nothing.” Leonti knew that his next comment could lead to his own death. “I suggest that we abandon the capital sire. As long as you survive our Empire survives.”

“Leonti you are many things. The first of which is honest. The second is a formidable tactician and strategist. You’re one of my finest Generals. Yet you’re a man born of war and the battlefield. You’ve never been a political animal. While your suggestion has great merit. It fails on one fundamental point. Should I abandon the Capital where can I go? How far can I ran? The Human Empire has already shown a that they will hunt me down no matter I run. Even as they hunt down our once might fleet destroying them one at a time.”

Juliana stood up from his chair and walked across the room to stand by the window. “I shall wait my fait right here. When the Death Dealers come I shall join our forces on the battle front. I shall make them pay for every inch of ground they cover with their lives. I shall not be like those fools from history who let their people die needlessly while they sat safely in a bunker. Then in a last act of defiance take my own life in an act of cowardice.”

“I shall see to our defensive arrangements, sire.” Leonti turned and left the ruler of the Gorgonzola Empire to his thoughts. He knew something that no one else did within his nation. The Death Dealers of the Human Empire were more than just a military force. They were the will of their rulers. That will has now been turned on his nation for the soul purpose of its destruction. As he closed the door behind him Leonti lent words to his thoughts. “I shall that you die gloriously on the battlefield Exalted Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana. Your death shall become one of legend among our people and among our enemies. Not even they shall be able to hide your death from the history books.”

“What was that sir?” Asked the secretary at currently on duty.

“Nothing, Lance Corporal. Just talking to myself. Please contact the local PDF Commanders for me. I need to talk with them immediately. Inform them all this shall be a working meal and they are to bring along the Tactical Equipment Lists and Wartime Reserve Modes with them.” At Leonti’s very blunt order the Lance Corporal just blanched but carried out his order. Leonti after giving the order Leonti headed for his own office to gather TEL and WRM. “This has been a long day and this evening isn’t going to be any shorter. The Hounds of Hell are coming to San Vitruvio. May God help us all. Because even Juliana has accepted his fate.”

-----tbc-----

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

cheap weapons

tigger's picture

when I was but a young cub, I had the dubious pleasure of a personal interview with Hymen G. Rickover for the privilege of joining the officer corps of the US Nuclear Navy. One of his oft repeated maxims was that "Cheap Weapons Never Won a War."

Guess the Cheeseheads didn't study the right military history.

Warm furry hugs!

Tiggs

the words of great men

wolfjess7's picture

For some reason the words of warning from great men are often forgotten with the passage of time. Not that all their words are forgotten. Just the ones that they were embarrassed about. We all know the ones I'm talking about.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Weapons

But the opposite is true, too: a few murderously expensive weapons are no guarantee that you'll win the war.

oops

tigger's picture

accidental double save press and no way to delete second post.

His imagination notwithstanding, Innocenzo Juliana is a coward.

We saw his bullying and cruel behaviors in previous chapters and like all bullies, he is at his core, a coward. Yes he is going to go down in a futile act of defiance because he knows that a) he can't win and b) the Empire will hunt him down. But he is afraid to either surrender and accept his fate or swallow a
self inflicted bullet so he would rather take hundreds of thousands more souls with him in death in a horrific version of suicide by cop.

What a pathetic, miserable excuse for a supposedly sentient being. I hope the coup succeeds and that he winds up as High Priest Controller- even though that fate isn't sufficient for hom to pay for his crimes against humanity.

The truth about Dictators

wolfjess7's picture

Sadly, most Dictators are at their core cowards. I could find only two examples of a true Dictator living to die of old age. Joseph Stalin and Máo Zédōng. Most take their own lives before the people they’ve suppressed finally rise up and tear them down. Though it usually takes time for that to happen. Freedom does eventually conquers those who would rule through fear.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Strongly Resembles

The last days of Japan mixed with that of the Fall of the Third Reich at the end of WW2. With other final battles from the dust of history thrown in for good measure. There may be great warriors, great battles and even great wars, but when it is all said and done there is no glory in war. There is only death and destruction. War's cost is high, and as usual the civilians pay the highest price.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

War's High Cost

The words of an expert ring all to true. "War is all Hell." William T. Sherman

G/R

The truth about the Endless Waltz

wolfjess7's picture

Throughout history the Endless Waltz of Peace, Revolution, and War has been the one constant in human behavior. Before I defected to the West I would sit and listen to my grandfather’s stories of the Red Army driving the Nazis from my Homeland. My own father told me of his time with the Army. It was the idea of being forced join the Army in supporting the oppressive regime of the Socialist Federal Republic that was the driving force behind my defection. It broke my heart to watch as my homeland just a few years later broke down into all out revolution and war. What I saw as a member of the UN Peacekeepers sickened me to no end. The ethnic cleansings, mixed or twisted political ideals, and so many other reasons that were used to justify all that death were beyond common sense. Then again nothing ever made sense in war.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

My grandfather left as well.

Fleeing conscription into the army of repressive regimes- like the various governments in Russia- has a long tradition. My maternal grandfather left Russia in to avoid conscription in the army of Nicholas II, circa 1910. Back then, Jewish men were conscripted for 5 years, sent as far away from their homes as possible and "incentivized" with isolation, physical and mental abuse to convert to Orthodox Christianity. After discharge they weren't allowed to emigrate until they were too old for military service, because they were subject to being recalled into the army after their initial five years were up. My grandfather came to the United States, found work then scrimped and saved up enough money to send for my grandmother and their children shortly before WWI broke out. Of the family left behind in Russia, many died in WWI and the Russian Revolution. A few managed to escape west in the 1920s but the rest were murdered by Hitler's minions.

My family members on both sides weren't unwilling to serve, they were unwilling to serve tyrants, the irony is for many reasons they weren't allowed. My maternal uncles both tried to enlist in the US army after Pearl Harbor, but they worked in critical industries and were turned down. My mother was turned down when she tried to enlist in the WACs, but she was over 35 and wasn't eligible. My father and two of his brothers were too old as well, but one of my uncles was able to enlist and served in WWII and re-enlisted during the Korean War.

nearing the end

the cleanup is gonna be a bear though

DogSig.png

Bloated title

Is it possible that Juliana is compensating for the lack of something? >:->

On another matter: you nearly constantly use "privet" when you probably wanted to write "private". And that goes across several chapters.

Thx for another nice chapter^^

the DeathDealer's Saga

I find I cannot get enough of the entire Saga and keep going back and reading everything over and over.

I luckily acquired the first part that turned into 8 books from Amazon before they disappeared. Jesse you have a beautiful talent for writing and I'm glad you are sharing you gift with us .

The love of a soldier can conquer most pitfalls of politicians...

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

amazon books

smdani4mm's picture

i have the amazon books

SmDani4

Juliana

Whether Juliana sits in a bunker and lets his people die needlessly or leads his people on the battlefield and lets his people die needlessly makes no difference for his people. It just saves him the trouble of eating his own bullet. :-( Or worse (for him) to face the trials for his crimes.

Thx for another nice chapter^^

chapter 20

smdani4mm's picture

anxiously waiting chapter 20

SmDani4

Folly of thought

Jamie Lee's picture

When one side is a war has the scissors and the other side thought they had stones, only to discover the truth of having tissue paper, the only sane thing to do is give the tissue paper to the other side. Maybe someone one the other side knows origami.

Noisome saw the wisdom of surrender when he knew to do otherwise was folly. Their once thought to be invincible armada actually faced an invincible armada, that happened to be the scissors which cut through the tissue paper hulls with ease.

Juliana is nothing more than an ignorant spoiled brat, whose knowledge of things necessary runs right up there with pet rocks.

Instead of listening to those in the know, those who actually ran things, he'd have them killed if he didn't like what he heard. That was a bad case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Juliana thinks he's going to go out in a blaze of glory. The actual truth is more like wetting his pants when the first Death Dealer arrives.

Others have feelings too.