Wolff of the Endless Waltz -chapter 12

Printer-friendly version


Wolff of the Endless Waltz


For 35yrs the border between the Human Empire and Gorgonzola Empire as remained mostly peaceful. The citizens for the Human Empire of this border region are loyal to the last man, woman, and child to the Empire. It was on one of these worlds that gave birth to a legend. The world of Apollo 6 is one of the harshest worlds within the Empire. One so harsh that only it could claim to be the birth world of James J. Owens, the most feared of Death Dealers. A world that is even now poised to give birth to a new legendary warrior. One who shall be baptized in the blood of the Empire’s enemies. Robert Wolff youngest great grandchild of James Owens’ sister Cecilia Owens.


Chapter 12
Day 35 of the war.
Lunar orbit, Badus 59, The Black Valley, Gorgonzola Empire:

Captain Jack Tuner stood quietly behind his command chair. He and the crew of the pirate ship Black Pearl 3 had been on station for the last 11 days. They had used last every trick in the book to stay hidden and to avoid the Cheesehead patrols. Now all that waiting was about to come to an end. Soon they would rain down death and destruction on the Cheeseheads with righteous vengeance.

Jack looked up at the ship’s clock. It like all the other pirate ships’ clocks that were carrying 740 Core Crackers was set to match the Shinigami Ryuk. He like the other 23 pirate captains had moved slowly through the Gorgonzola Empire. They had used every pirate jump point and uninhabitable star system to reach their target planets. There were 11 targeted state capital planets in total. Each with two pirate ships waiting to drop a 740 Core Cracker. The last and most important of the 11 had the honor of having 3 pirate ships with it as their target.

This was overkill in every sense of the over. Yet all 23 captains didn't give a damn. Their home system had been the target of the Gorgonzola Empire since the time of the Great Shattering. Like all the citizens of the Highlands systems. They had been forced to remain on constant vigil. Always waiting for the next boarder raid by the Cheeseheads. Only Apollo 6 had suffered the most at their hands. Of the 23 pirate ships and crews 12 call Apollo 6 their home. As the ship’s clock ticked 2355hrs Captain Jack Tuner stepped forward to stand next the Helmsman’s controls.

He turned and faced his bridge crew clearing his throat. “Almost forty years ago Empress Maiha made a straightforward promise to both the Gorgonzola Empire and the Velmaro Consortium. They were warned not to interfere with our internal problems. They were warned to turn their eyes elsewhere for territorial gains. They were told a great deal by Empress Maiha. Basically, the gest of that conversation was this. Leave us the frack alone and we’ll leave you alone. You fracking don’t and we’ll turn your capital planets to into radioactive dust clouds. We’ve kept our word and left these two nations alone. Not even the occasional boarder raid. This time though they have gone beyond a raid into full-blown war. Now it is time to carry out the rest of that promise. They called the tune my friends.”

As Captain Jack Tuner addressed his crew he was remind of a famous pirate captain from history. “The other ships will still be looking to us, to the Black Pearl, to lead, and what will they see? Frightened bilgerats aboard a derelict ship? No, no they will see free men and freedom! And what the enemy will see, they will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors.”

“HOIST THE COLORS!” Roared the crew as one. The ship’s clock clicked 2359hrs.

“Helm bring us about! Navigation lay in a course for Badus fifty-nine! Guns our target is Macway! Engineering full power to the engines! Sensors full sweep. Relay all incoming targets to Tactical! Coms raise the Black Flag!” Captain Jack yelled as he drew the saber at his side. Raising the sword above his head Jack continued to yell at the top of lungs. “Mark my words lads! Waves may crack with wicked fury against our ship's hull while ocean currents rage as the full moon rises over the sea! The time has come for some piracy!”

The Corsair Class Pirate dropship Black Pearl 3 surged forward with a speed that belied both its and cargo. On the far side of Badus 59 the pirate dropship Coral Reef raced from its own hiding place behind the second moon. The two corsair class ships raced towards the capital planet for The Black Valley State of the Gorgonzola Empire. They sudden appearance did not go unnoticed by the planet’s defenders. The six orbital defense platforms moved to intercept the pirates.

Under normal circumstances those six platforms would be more than a match against the pirates. Only these were not normal circumstances. The Black Pearl and Coral Reef were not raiding the planet. They were delivering 740 Core Crackers. While still outside of the range for the platforms weapons the two ships released their planet killing cargos. Even as the pirate ships were pulling out of their attack runs they had already opened their jump gates and were disappearing into hyperspace.

As the two massive planet killing projectiles left their homes atop the pirate ships they were igniting their primary engines. At 60ft in length and 25ft across that was a lot of mass to get moving at first. The 740 Core Crackers were as big as a twentieth century Titan 7 Intercontinental Ballistic Missile. Unlike those ancient weapons of mass destruction and terror the Core Crackers were true planet killers in their own right. This two missiles would smash their way to the very core of a planet before detonating.

The resulting explosions would stop the natural thermal reaction of the planet’s core. That would be the first reaction; the next would be the uncontrolled fusion of billions of tons of nuclear fuel that is in the heart of every planet. Slowly the pressure would build over the next few hours until the planets mantel could no longer contain it. The next thing to happen would be the earthquakes that would result from the overwhelming pressure in the core and mantel. First would be the trimmers at the 4hr mark past detonation. Then around the 6hr mark the massive 10.0 continent breakers would happen along every fault line on the planet.

Before the 8hr mark the entire planet would be covered in nothing but magma. The seas would boil away to nothing. The forests would have been burnt to ash. Cities would be swallowed whole by the unrelenting magma flows that bore down on them from the volcanos that spring to life in their midst. Before the 12hr mark the planet would have returned to its primal form, a ball of rolling boiling magma, totally devoid of all life. There would be no one around to witness the death of Badus 59. Not even the orbital defense platforms would survive the destruction of their home.

Aboard the Black Pearl 3 Captain Jack Tuner left the bridge shortly fallowing their jump into hyperspace. Only to return 10 minutes later carrying four bottles of the pirate’s drink of choice and mugs for all his flight crew. As with a sad smile he handed out full mugs of rum to his crew. Once each man or woman had a drink in their hand Jack finally filled his own mug.

“Raise your mugs and drink deeply me hardies! For tonight we dine at the Devil’s own table! We shall not be alone as we fest on the souls of our enemies! For the Flying Dutchman has come for more souls than he carry across to the other side.” With that Jack upended his mug of rum.

“Captain message from the Coral Reef.” Communication’s operator called out.

“Go ahead and read it, Lee.” Jack answered and returned to his command chair.

“Aye, sir. To Captain Turner, From Captain Morgan, In the words of Doctor Robert Oppenheimer. We have become Death. The destroyer of worlds. End of message.” As Lee finished reading he turned to his. “What is your reply Captain?”

“Send the following Lee. In the words of Harry Truman, the US president who ordered the dropping of the atomic bomb, told Colonel Paul Tibbets when they met in 1948. ‘I'm the guy who sent you. If anybody gives you a hard time about it, refer them to me.’ End of message.” Jake could tell that his crew were now feeling the emotional letdown of completing both an extremely dangerous and emotional mission. “Listen up you lot. We may have dropped that seven-forty, but the order came from Emperor James J. Nakatoma. The final responsibility for the deaths of that planet lies at his feet and the current Exalted Supreme High Chancellor. Never forget that.”

“Aye, Captain!” The crew shouted and finished off their rum. The XO passed around another few bottles of rum. “Navigation lay in a course for the Ryuk. Helm take us home. There’s still a war going people.”

After a one mug of rum the crew of the Black Pearl 3 set about the task of returning to Human Empire space. They knew that they weren’t safe yet. They all knew that they could be call on again to deliver a 740 Core Cracker.

Northern Lights System: beginning of the 1st watch.
Aft Dorsal Observation Dome, Royal Battle platform, Ryuk

James and Terresa were enjoying the peaceful quiet that breakfast brought. They knew that the war had quickly grounded to a bloody stalemate on the Gorgonzola boarder. Only in the past few days were the Empyreal Forces able to make much headway in securing their objectives. While the Gorgonzola forces had been able to land and occupy most of the planets in Highlands System board zone. They were having problems with pacifying the local populations and were unable to further their advance in Empire territory. On the other hand, their own forces’ rapid advance into the Gorgonzola Empire was beginning to slow down. For every four planets they were able to capture one planet continued to hold out against their ground forces. At this rate desperate measures were needed to break the fast forming and bloody stalemate along the length of the front.

“When will we know if Operation Hidden Maniac is successful, James?” Terresa asked as she set her coffee down. Unlike James she had more on the line. After all she was the one to plan the operation and pick the targets.

“We should hear something any moment now, love. I know that all twenty-three ships reached the objectives undetected as of twenty-three-thirty last night ship’s time.” James sighed and took out a pack of Empyreal Gold cigarettes. Like his mother Maiha, James had taken up the habit of smoking during times of extreme stress. After lighting one he hand the pack to Terresa. “Right now, I’m more concerned with Operation Bogeyman. We’ve heard from every that was dropped in the Highlands System except for the two that hit Apollo six.”

“The two Death Dealer teams. Correct me if I’m wrong but the rest were all from the Owens Clan’s Bloodline Warriors?” Terresa asked as she lite her own cigarette.

“They are but the problem lays with one Death Dealer team in particular.” James explained before taking a drag off his cigarette. Then swore as he exhaled. “Mom just had to give Apollo six to the last true heir of the Owens clan.”

“That decision was a matter of politics, James. We both know that.” Terresa chided her husband. “We both know that Lord Owens has been itching for a chance to reclaim the original home of the Owens Clan or a way to restore their honor. He would have tried to use your cousin to achieve both of those goals. With Robert Wolff on Apollo six that removes him from play in Lord Robert’s plans.”

“That maybe true love, but if my cousin gets his ass killed helping to liberate Apollo six. I fear that the Owens Bloodline Warriors will pull out of the line to avenge his death on Apollo six. Right now, those troops are needed for Operation Full Steam.” James referral to the frontal assault on the Gorgonzola Empire made Terresa cringe with real dread.

“What’s that last from that operation?” She asked before taking a drink of her coffee and puff of her cigarette. “Have the Cheeseheads changed tactics again?”

“To a point they have. With the threat of orbital bombardment of their cities the Cheeseheads have stopped using their chemical weapons. Thanks to that our forces have been able to capture the two Planetary State Systems nearest our boarder. Aziea the capital planet for L'état rouge rubis L'état fell to the fourteenth Death Dealer Battlegroup and seventh Empyreal Regular Army Group five days ago. Two days ago the capital planet of Gobos in the de l'étendue de verre bleu surrendered to twenty-first Death Dealer Battlegroup. Thanks to their valor two links in the Cheesehead chain of command have been removed.” James told his wife with real pride for those military forces. Then he sighed. “Sadly, that is not enough to cripple that chain. At least another seven or eight need to be destroyed or conquered.”

“And such is the goal of Operation Hidden Maniac. Chop of the head of the snake and the body will die. Though I do have to ask why you left San Vitruvio off the target list? One seven-forty and the war is over.” Terresa asked him as she took a drag off her cigarette. This one question had been bugging sense she first formed the operational plan for the 740 Core Crackers.

“They are a last resort target, love. Hopefully before that happens we can force the Gorgonzola Exalted Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana, their Grand War Commander, the Supreme Warlords, and Overlord Counsel to talk peace. If not then we’ll be forced to kill every last one of them. I know that we have to either conquer the Gorgonzola Empire or destroy it. I would rather conquer them.” James sighed at the look of displeasure on Terresa’s face.

“Why? Answer me that simple question James. You owe me that much.” Terresa sighed.

“Ever since the Great Shattering the Gorgonzola Empire has repeatedly attacked our nation in the hopes of taking the Highland System. During the First War of Succession four-hundred years ago they attacked our nation hoping to use the internal conflict to gain the throne. Then again almost forty years they supported Richelieu’s attempted coup the Cheeseheads backed him in return for control over the Highlands and the surrounding systems. They have been warned time again to stay on their side of the boarder. The Gorgonzola Empire has presented a constant threat to the peace and safety of our nation. I can no longer stand back and allow that threat to continue.” James snarled as he grounded out his cigarette then lite a second.

“So, this is more than just a war to punish the leaders of the Gorgonzola Empire.” Terresa sighed. “But a war of retribution for the simple reason of insuring the safety and peace of our people.”

“I’m sorry love. I know that you would have preferred a more diplomatic solution.” James began only to have Terresa snort and interrupt him.

“Diplomacy only works when both sides are willing to talk and listen, James. The Cheeseheads forced our hand. If it takes destroying the Gorgonzola Empire to ensure the future of our child.” Terresa snarled. “Then I would turn every last planet within its boarders to radioactive dust clouds.”

Before James could comment on his wife’s heated words a young Ensign from the Signal Corp rushed into the dorsal observation dome. “Sire! Urgent message from the Front.”

“What’s the message Ensign?” James snapped.

“The message reads. Knocking on Heaven’s Door! I say again! Knocking on Heaven’s Door! That is all sire.” The Ensign shouted with pride.

“BY THE GODS! THEY’VE DONE IT!” James shouted as he slammed his fist down on the table. “The head has been severed!”

“James what are you talking about?” Terresa snapped.

“That was the code phrase for total success of Operation Hidden Maniac. All eleven targets are nothing more than rolling balls of magma or plasma in orbit around their prospective suns.” James answered with real pride in the ships that carried out his orders. “We can now being Operation Wind Hammer. Ensign send the following signal to our front-line commanders. Swing the heavenly hammer of the Gods.”

“Yes sir!” The Ensign called as he saluted and ran from the observation dome.

“In five days, forty Empyreal Army Groups will spread throughout the Gorgonzola Empire. Each supported by a Naval Carrier Group.” James said as he sat back down at the breakfast table. “Soon we will be knocking on the gates to the Royal Palace for the Gorgonzola Empire, Terresa. I expect to receive a request for peace talks in the next twenty to twenty-five days.”

“And if we don’t? What then James?” Terresa asked as she felt that old itch to grab the control stick and throttles of her F/B-11A2 Claymore.

“Then we grab the Cheeseheads by the fracking throat and rip out the bloody hearts.” James snarled with deadly intent.

“Then let us pray that Exalted Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana sees the light of reason soon.” Terresa then snarled. “Better yet, let him continue to dream of conquering our nation. As we pull the very walls of Hell down around his worthless head and reduce his Capital to ruins.”

Arco dei Gavi, Capital City, San Vitruvio, Gorgonzola Empire: 1345 local time

Deep in the heart of the Imperial Place lay the War Council Chamber. Exalted Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana could not believe the way his war with the Human Empire was going. After 75 days his forces were still pinned down in the Hibernating Expanse. Three days ago, his forces in the Sapphire Skies and the Corsica region states had surrendered. The second those two System States had fallen to the Human Empire military the Overlords for those sectors; Remy Marchand and Alban Boutin, were publicly beheaded by their people. Whole planets were surrendering without a shoot being fired in defiance of the invaders.

“How? How could have everything gone so desperately wrong?” Juliana asked of the empty room. His Warlords weren’t due to give their daily reports for another 15minutes. “We had the element of surprise. We should have conquered the Hibernating Expanse and moved onto the Collared Tortoise System thirty-five days ago. Instead, we’re being forced to retreat all across the Human Empire boarder.”

The door to the War Council Chamber suddenly burst open and a Communication Expert rushed in. “Exalted One, urgent news from the outer States.”

“What has happened now?” Juliana sighed. He figured that another of the State Capital planets had surrendered to the Empire’s dogs of war.

“Sire, we have lost contact with almost every State Capital Planet. Only Sevars and Utrurn remain in contact with the Empyreal capital sire.” The young man fell to his knees at the look of rage and shock that crossed Juliana’s face. “Please sire, spare me. I am only relaying the message from Flag Colonel Norbert Lebas.”

“Get up boy! I do not kill those who carry out the orders of their superiors.” Juliana knew that wasn’t a lie. He had never killed one of his subjects carrying out the orders of their superiors. He had someone else kill them and their superiors. “Return to Flag Colonel Lebas and have him report to me directly.”

“Yes sire.” The young man bolted from the room as fast as his legs would carry him. He knew that if the Exalted Supreme High Chancellor wanted his Flag Colonel then he would not waste time. The young man was just happy because his superior would be the one to suffer their leader’s wrath and not him.

Juliana looked down at the map of his Empire. With a trembling hand he placed small marker squares with a red star over the destroyed capital planets. Those eleven red stars stood out among the field of blue stars. Though not as depressing as 57 planets now marked with green stars indicating they had been captured by the enemy.

“Sire, you wished to see me?” Flag Colonel Lebas asked as he entered the room.

“Flag Colonel Lebas I hope you have an explanation for the message I just received from your Communications Expert. How could we lose contact with eleven of our State Capital Planets? I was assured that the new FTL uplinks were not only secure but one-hundred percent reliable.” Juliana kept his voice calm and his face passive as he confronted the Flag Colonel. “Now with this in mind please explain to me exactly what that report meant.”

“Sire I can only tell you that all contact with the Capital planets has been cutoff. My electronics technicians are going every inch of our equipment. I can only place the blame on sabotage. Until I have more information that is the only explanation I can provide at this time.” Lebas answered with a deep bow from the waist praying that Juliana would accept his answer. Lebas already knew the real reason for the loss of contact with the state capital planets. A few of the capital planets had sent one final message before vanishing into a boiling cloud of superheated plasma.

“Is there some other possible reason you’re not telling me Flag Colonel?” Juliana asked almost snidely as he walked over to the side table for a fresh cup of tea. “Like maybe an attack by the Human Empire?”

“Only unconfirmed reports sir.” Lebas swallowed.

“What did the reports say Flag Colonel Lebas? Do not try to fool me again.” Juliana warned the Colonel with a snarl.

“Badus fifty-nine, Pugnadus, Ilmomia, Reolara, and Yeahiri all send the same message just before dropping off the net sire. It was a warning concerning a missile attack from outside the range of their orbital defense satellites. All eleven warning came in within seconds of each other. It is for this reason why I am led to believe this a coordinated act of sabotage, sire.” Even as he spun the lie Lebas knew that Juliana wasn’t going to buy his bullshit.

“Did those messages describe the missiles Flag Colonel?” Juliana snarled with both rage and fear filling his voice. He knew that his state capital planets were now nothing more than balls of boiling plasma orbiting their suns.

“They gave only the dimensions and color of the weapons sire. Our best calculations say that the missiles could only carry a standard thirty megaton yield. Enough to kill a major city or knock out all communications planet wide, but no more than that sire. I expect to have contact restored with those planets within the next day sire.” Lebas stuttered with real fear.

“There will be no restoration of contact with those planets Flag Colonel. There is only one type of weapon in the Human Empire’s arsenal that matches that description.” Juliana sighed heavily and set down his coffee cup before he dropped it. “Emperor James Nakatoma carried out his mother’s promise and unleashed the pirates of his nation armed with seven-forty Core Crackers.”

“Sire, please forgive me, but you must be wrong. Nakatoma maybe the ruler of the false Empire, but not even he would be barbaric enough to use planet killers.” Lebas pleaded with his Emperor. “Please give me but a few hours. I’m positive that my people can reestablish contact with the state capital planets.”

“Don’t waste your time or theirs, Flag Colonel. I had half expected the man to actually ignore his mother’s warning. How foolish of me.” Juliana sighed. “you may leave me Colonel. Do what you can to sure up our Communications with the rest of the planets and our Battle Commanders.”

“More than seventy-three billion people gone. Removed from the archives of history in less than one day.” Once he was again alone in the War Council Chamber Juliana looked down at the eleven red star markers. “With just two-hundred of those marvelous weapons I could remake the Grand Empire.”

A knock on the door drew his attention before the six Grand Warlords and the Grand War Commander entered the room. He gave them all a few minutes to get their morning coffee and take their places around the map board. He waited for them to spot the 11 red marker stars. When none of them comment on the destruction of the state capital planets Juliana slammed his fist into the table. Once he had the full attention of all six Grand Warlords, Juliana snarled. “Are you so blind to the world around you?!”

“Sire, what are you talking about? We’ve have yet to give you our morning reports.” Grand War Commander Jules Gavreau countered knowing full well that he could end up like the man he replaced. Mattaliano’s head now adorned one of the castle curtain wall spikes. That is when he spotted the 11 red stars. “BY THE GODS! HE COULDN’T! HOW IN THE HELL COULD HE HAVE REALEASED THAT MANY SHIPS FROM THE FRONT LINE?!”

“NOT ONLY DID HE CARRY OUT THE BITCH’S THREAT! HE USED HAD TO OF USED THE VERY PIRATES YOU SWORE WERE NO THREAT!” Juliana screamed at the top of his lungs.

“Sire that is impossible! All of our spies in the Human Empire’s Logistics Command report that only a Battleship or Heavy Cruiser can transport then lunch the seven-forty Core Cracker. Not even their Missile Frigates can transport a Core Cracker. There is no way a Corvette Class can even transport let alone fire one of the monsters.” War Admiral Jean-Michel Alméras countered not believing the truth of what Juliana had just told them all. He knew that his Naval Intelligence Spies couldn’t be that wrong about the capabilities of the Human Empire Corvette Class dropships. There was no way a ship that small could transport a planet killer and not be seen by the local planetary defenses.

“Then I suggest you behead your spies and get some new ones.” Juliana snarled. “Ones that can actual do their FRACKING JOBS!”

“But sire. You can see from the technical data that the Corvette Class is just too light and small. The sheer size of a seven-forty Core Cracker would throw off their performance to the point of being unable to fly.” Alméras countered. He knew he was right. That there had to be another explanation.

“YOU FOOL!” Screamed Warlord Pierre-Louis Haillet as he drew his rapier. “We have known those reports to be false for sometime now! This belief of your Navy that the Corvette as being an unworthy target has time and again has been proven to be false! How many more battleships must you sacrifice before you grasp this fact?!”

“Those reports have been proven to be nothing more than propaganda spread by the Human Empire. Just as the falsehood that their Shinigami battle platforms are superior to our own New Castle battle platforms. We have the superior Naval Force.” Alméras snarled as he drew his own rapier snarling. “To the death.”

“PUT AWAY YOUR BLADES! NO ONE DIES WITHIN THE PALACE GROUNDS UNLESS IT IS BY MY ORDER!” Juliana roared at the two Warlords. As the two men looked to their leader Juliana snarled. “Or have you forgotten my decree?”

Both men quickly put away their rapiers. They knew that only Juliana could order the death of someone inside the palace. To defy his decree was to court your own death in the most painful of tortures. In the time since Juliana had taken the throne the Gardens of Pain had gained over 200 new displays.

“War Admiral Alméras you have ten days to sure up the planetary defenses of our remaining states. Warlord Haillet I want a plan in place to restore our chain of command by the end of the week.” Juliana ordered the two men. Juliana looked to the last five men in the room. “As for the rest of you. You will find a way to recapture our lost territory and reinforce our forces in the Hibernating Expanse. Now get out of my sight you worthless wretches.”

When only Juliana and Gavreau remained, he turned to his Grand War Commander. “Well Gavreau. It is only us. What are your thoughts?”

“We have reached a fork in the road, Exalted One.” Gavreau said as he held his hand over the map board. “With the loss of the State Capitals all of our forces are effectively cutoff from our control. No matter what Haillet tries without the Military Commanders of those individual State Forces it will be impossible for us to regain control. They will not accept our orders as being lawful.”

“What are you saying Gavreau?” Juliana asked in confusion. “Why wouldn’t my orders be considered as lawful?”

“When your great grandfather set up our current system of military command. He placed a failsafe in the system. One that has until now never been broken.” Gavreau began to slowly draw lines from San Vitruvio to the State Capital planets. Then from there to each Underlord’s planet. “Your great grandfather felt that the best to defend our nation was through a centralized military command. All orders requiring the major movement of forces must be routed through the individual state capital planets. This was done to prevent the individual Overlords and Underlords from combining their state military forces in open revolt against the Crown.”

“I know this already Gavreau. Get to the point.” Juliana snarled.

“The same applies to requests for orders coming up the chain of command. Everything must travel through the lower nexus points. Without the authentication codes of those nexus points all orders are considered unlawful and to be ignored. The individual military forces of the states will not move from their planets of origin. By Empyreal Law they will resort to their primary mission of defense of their home worlds. Only a hardcopy of orders signed and sealed by your hand can override that imperative.” Gavreau slowly explained to Juliana as he rubbed out eleven of the connecting lines to the capital planets. “No nexus points, no control.”

“What if we placed a battle platform at each of the nexus points?” Juliana asked with an icy feeling of dread forming in the pit of his stomach.

“Without the correct authentication codes, it won’t matter, sire.” Gavreu sighed. “Codes that were stored in the nexus points themselves. Points that are now lost to us forever. In short sire. We are lost.”

“Why?” Juliana asked with real fear.

“Time is now against us, sire. It takes five days to travel between the Empyreal Capital and the nearest State capital. Our fastest ships can reach the farthest planet under attack in two weeks. In our drive to secure our FTL links between our military commanders and the capital we created our greatest weakness. Of all our Empyreal Military units only Grim Reaper Battle Divisions remain under our direct control. Sadly, they are all in the Hibernating Expanse. Well beyond normal channels of communication.” Gavreau sighed and gave his Emperor the news that he was dreading. “Of the four-hundred-ninety-four inhabited planets under our rule. Only fifty-six have standing militaries of more three divisions or ground troops, and two regiments of aerospace fighters. The other four-hundred-thirty-eight rely on orbital defense platforms for security and those four divisions of PDF troops.”

“Just how bad is it going to get Gavreau? Please don’t lie to me.” Juliana asked as he sat down heavily in his chair.

“Unless a miracle happens and we get truly lucky, sire. The Human Empire’s Death Dealer Battlegroups will be knocking on the palace gates in eight months.” Gavreau watched as his Emperor turned white in fear and decided to drive the point home. “If not. Then we have at most five months before we see the first Shinigami Battle Platforms overhead. Might I suggest something sire?”

“If you’re going to suggest sending an envoy to broker a peace don’t. I would rather watch our nation burn to the ground before allowing that bastard to place his ass upon the Throne of our Glorious Empire.” Juliana snarled. He grabbed a sheet of paper and began to write. When he finished Juliana looked up at Gavreau. “By Royal decree. I am here by ordering the destruction of all infrastructure to prevent its use by Human Empire forces. Copy this order and send it to each planet within the Gorgonzola Empire. Leave nothing for the enemy.”

“As you command sire.” Gavreau said as he took the order from his ruler and left the room. As he walked the halls of the palace Gavreau crumbled the paper and stuffed it into his pants pocket. “I’ll be damned if I allow a Neo order to be carried out in my lifetime. It is time for a change in leadership.”

With those words still on his lips Grand War Commander Jules Gavreau began to plan the overthrow of Exalted Supreme High Chancellor Innocenzo Juliana. Only five other times in the history of the Gorgonzola Empire has a coup been attempted. All five failed in bloodbaths that drenched the palace halls. His would fail as well if not for one very important fact. Over the past three years he had slowly replace the palace guards with men loyal only to him. With the removal of his predecessor, he had been able to place men who were loyal to him in critical positions of command. As he neared the main floor of the palace Gavreau stopped and looked back down the hallway he had just traveled. “The Valkyrie shall ride once more. Only this time Freyja’s daughter will not be denied her rightful due.”

New Castle Battle Platform Galactica, The Rat Tail Nebula: middle of 3rd watch

Flag Admiral Nicholas Luca woke to the pound at his quarters’ door. “Come!”

The Ensign that entered his quarters was not who he was expecting. “Sir, we have lost contact with the capital and the forward line command.”

“WHAT?” Nicholas shouted as he bolted upright in his bed. “You better be joking Ensign Hornbeam. Because if you’re not we’re in deep shit.”

“I wish that I were sir. Commander Hathaway warned me that you would not believe me. He told me to tell you. ‘The tunnels of light have collapsed.” Hornbeam told his Admiral with real confusion.

“Son of a bitch! Ensign report back to Commander Hathaway. Inform him I’ll be joining him and the XO in the war room in twenty minutes.” Nicholas ground out between clenched teeth as Hornbeam saluted and ran from his quarters. Jumping out of bed he quickly began to dress. Looking at the clock in his room Nicholas snarled. “One of these days I’m going to get the boys and girls over in R-n-D to research the connection between third watch and the occurrence of category five shit storms.”

Twenty minutes later Nicholas, his XO Zhvikov Stepanovich, and Commander Hathaway gathered in the war room of Galactica. Hathaway was working to bring up the current strategic situation of the war. When he succeeded Hathaway began to curse up a blue streak. “BY ALL THE GODS OF HELL! THAT MOTHER FRACKING SON-OF-BITCH DID IT! THOSE WORTHLESS COCKSUCKERS WHEN AND DROPPED CORE CRACKERS ON CIVILIAN TARGETS!”

“WHAT?!” Nicholas screamed in shock. “PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A PRANK!”

“I wish by all that is Holy and Damned that it was sir. Our nexus point I gone. Hell, the whole gad damned planet is gone sir. Here look at the feed from the system’s mil-star weather observation satellite.” A few commands later Nicholas was looking at a ball of boiling plasma where the home port of Galactica should be floating in space. “Sir that weather satellite and the mil-star communication satellites are the only things left in that solar orbital path.”

“They really did it.” Stepanovich whispered. “James Nakatoma carried out his mother’s promise from all those year ago.”

“Excuse me sir, but what are you talking about?” Hathaway asked.

“We were warned to turn our eyes away from the Human Empire by the last Empress. To leave them alone or she would turn our capital planets to radioactive dust clouds. We in the Navy have never forgotten that promise.” Nicholas answered his youngest watch commander. then he corrected himself. “I should say those of us in the active Fleets haven’t forgotten.”

“I don’t understand sir.” Hathaway said bluntly.

“There are three Admirals on the Grand Warlords Council. All three of them were appointed to the Council by our High Chancellor. None of them have ever served aboard a real ship of the line. Let alone a battle platform. They falsely believe that the Corvettes of the Human Empire are unable to carryout the promise made by Empress Maiha. They’re mistaken.” Nicholas snarled.

“Of all the ships at the Human Empire’s disposal. Their Corvette class dropships are the most versatile of them all, Hathaway. Take a firm piece of advice. When you get your own command no matter the class. If you should find yourself in a Naval battle with the Human Empire have one quarter of your guns scanning for Corvettes. If you should find your ship going up against two or more Corvettes, run.” The XO Stepanovich grunted then grinned at the look of confusion on the younger man’s face. “There is a lot they don’t teach you at the academy about Corvettes. The biggest thing they don’t teach you is this. Those little bastards fight way above their weight class and nine times out of ten. They win.”

“That make no sense sir. Surely a Gunboat is more than a match for Corvette. After all they were deigned to destroy Corvettes.” Hathaway asked of his XO.

“We would like to believe that Hathaway. It is basically true in a fair one-on-one fight between the two class of ships. The problem is Corvettes are proficient at cheating and never fight on the own. Where you see one there are always two or three that you don’t see.” Nicholas chuckled. “Those ships and their crews are mean nasty little bastards with no problems fighting dirty.”

“Something else you need to know Hathaway. In a standard Human Empire Naval Unit, they have a very unconventional organization. They always travel in a taskforce grouping. For each carrier there are two battleships, four heavy cruisers, eight light cruisers, sixteen destroyers, thirty-two frigates, sixty-four gunboats, and hundred-twenty-eight corvettes. If you haven’t figured out the math Hathaway that is a total of two-hundred-fifty-five warships. A hundred-twenty-eight that attack in swarms of eight ships per target.” Stepanovich chuckled at the younger officer fell back into his chair in utter disbelief. “Why do you think the Human Empire has been able to hold our Grand Army of Grim Reaper Battle Divisions at bay for so long Hathaway? It sure as hell has been just their Death Dealer Battlegroups holding us back. For every warship we have the Human Empyreal Navy has four. Our only advantage is in the number of battle platforms. Not that it matters anymore.”

“I don’t understand sir. Isn’t a New Castle battle platform as strong as a Shinigami battle platform?” Hathaway asked with real hope in his voice.

“I guess it’s time to bring you out of your dream, Hathaway.” Nicholas sighed. “There is an old saying among star sailors. It goes like this, ‘It takes a Shinigami to kill a Shinigami’. As powerful as the Galactica is she and her sisters are but pale shadows compared to a Shinigami. All of our battle platforms are based off the Angle and Demon class battle platform designs. Designs that we stole more than five-hundred years ago. Designs that were already a hundred years out of date.”

“Don’t go putting a lot of faith in our carriers or battleships either Hathaway. Their designs were also stolen from the Human Empire’s Navy. Just like every ship deign in our Navy. Only our ships are anywhere between seventy-five to a hundred behind the current ships deployed by the Human Empire. They’re also improving on their ship designs every year. We’re so far behind the Human Empire technology wise that it is pathetic. As powerful as Galactica is right now she is outclassed by their Texas and Hero class battleships.” Stepanovich grunted. “You need to remember something. The original New Castle was destroyed by the original battleship Texas.”

“ALL COMMAND STAFF TO THE BRIDGE! REPEAT! ALL COMMAND STAFF TO THE BRIDGE!” The blaring command over the intercom had all three officers rushing to the command deck. The next command lent wings to their feet. “RED ALERT! ALL HANDS TO BATTLE STATIONS! RED ALERT! ALL HANDS TO BATTLE STATIONS! RED ALERT!”

As Nicholas burst onto the bridge his eyes were drawn to the forward view screen. There before his very eyes was his greatest nightmare given birth in a blaze of purest white light. “BY the gods of Hell! The Demon God of Death has come for us.”

“Captain we have multiple jump signatures popping up all around us! Count is at one-sixty and climbing. With no signs of slowing down.” The Tactical Officer called out. “Sir my best guess is we’re currently facing a full Supercarrier Taskforce.”

“Oh hell! Where’s the rest of our fleet Guns?” Nicholas demanded.

“Spread throughout the nebula Captain. The nearest ships are the battleship Serpent, the battlecruiser Anastasia, the heavy cruisers Valor and Fate, destroyers Starfall and Mercenary Star, the torpedo frigate Black Sparrow, and ten Patrol/Torpedo corvettes, sir.” The Tactical Officer answered quickly. He already knew that they were so outnumbered that this was going to be a very short battle.

“Captain we have incoming traffic from the captain of the Supercarrier Dai Etsu.” The Communications officer called out from his station. “Sir you really need to take this message. I doubt we’ll get a second chance.”

“Put it on the main screen, Sparks.” Nicholas ordered then added. “And just for the record. You’re right Sparks. Especially if the captain is who I think it is.”

The main view screen flicker and the face of Admiral Danial Cosby Naval Hero of the Amazon Insurrection appeared. “Good morning Flag Admiral Luca.”

“I would like to agree with you Admiral Cosby, but we’ll have to agree to disagree. Seeing as how you have almost every gun, missile, and torpedo in your carrier group locked onto my ship.” Nicholas snorted. “Care to explain how you were able to reach this far into our territory with no noticed?”

“Not really Admiral Luca. Seeing as how you have declined to be cordial I’ll get down to business. The rest of your battlegroup has been destroyed. What you see before you is but half of the Fleet that was arrayed against the Rat Tail Nebula. The Galactica and the seventeen escort ships are all that remain of the hundred-and-twenty ships of your battlegroup. I’m prepared to offer you terms of surrender. You have thirty-minutes to decide. Understand that if you should attempt to fire on my fleet we will destroy you. Should you attempt run we will destroy you. I await your answer.” With that the connection was cut.

“Coms open a channel to all remaining Gorgonzola ships.” Nichola ordered. He knew that what he was about do would be considered as treason, but he had to save as many of his crew as he could. It would be better that they send the rest of the war as POWs then die in a useless act of defiance. When the channel was open, and all stations had report in Nicholas cleared his throat. “Gentleman we are currently in an unattainable position. We are currently cutoff from our chain of command, outnumbered and outgunned. To be blunt all we can do is either surrender or die in a fatal gesture of defiance.”

“Admiral! We have a sacred duty to the Empire. We can still drive the Human Empire dog from our space!” Shout the captain of the battlecruiser Anastasia. A sentiment that was echoed by the other captains. With the exception of the battleship Serpent.

“You’re all fools! Let me give you all a quick education on what is currently targeting your ships. Only counting those Corvettes there are two-hundred-fifty-six Mark-seventy-eight torpedoes. Counting the rest of the ships in that fleet there are over one thousand of those ship killers. If we add in that carrier’s torpedo aerospace fighters the number jumps to twelve hundred. Just one of those can destroy an Overlord class cargo dropship. Two can take down a heavy cruiser. Those battleship main guns can punch through our armor long before we get in range of our own guns. And gentlemen if you haven’t figured it our yet that is only half of their Fleet that we are facing. The rest can be here in within fifteen minutes. Admiral Luca is correct in considering surrender. We as captains have a greater duty to the crews of our ships to not waste their lives in useless gestures of defiance. Our Empire has lost the war. Only the fools in the Capital have yet to realize this fact. I for one will not waste the lives of my crew or my ship in propping up a fools dream. We surrender.” The Serpent’s captain snarled.

As the man’s passionate words sank in, the rest of the captains saw the wisdom of surrendering. One by one they gave the orders to prepare their ships for scuddling and abandoning their ships. Luca watched as the escape pods and lifeboats ejected from each of the smaller ships. Until only his ship remained. Lucas turned to his Communications Office and gave the order. “Sound abandon ship, Mister Colins.”

“Aye, aye, Captain!” Colins answered back with a sinking heart. “Attention all hands abandon ship! I say again! All hands abandon ship!”

As the crew were running for their escape pods and lifeboats Luca turned to his Chief Engineer. “Prep the engines to overload in ten minutes Mister Scott.”

“Aye, captain.” Was all the temperamental Engineering officer said. He knew that his orders would lead to the death of his ship. The only thing that soothed this ego was the fact that there were seventeen other Engineers carrying out the same order. NO sailor liked the thought of scuttling their ship. When the last of the crew and officers were safely away Scott turned to last remaining person aboard the Galactica. With a heavy sigh. “All set to send her to the bottom Admiral.”

“Thank you Chief Scott. Get to your pod.” Luca ordered the man.

“Sorry sir, but that is one order I wont be following. Not unless you plan to join me. We either both abandon our lady or we both go down with her.” Scott chuckled as Luca grunted and entered his self-destruct code at his station.

“Let’s go Scott. We got sixty seconds to join the rest of our crew.” With those words the two men ran for the last remaining escape pod.

Super Carrier Lady Dai Etsu, The Rat Tail Nebula

Four Star Fleet Admiral Danial Cosby stood stock still watching the forward view screen. Waiting for the first sign of deceit or attack by the Cheeseheads. When the first escape pods and lifeboats rocketed away from the enemy ships Cosby sighed. His bluff had worked. “Helm hold our position. Coms contact the Pathfinder and Wonderer. Inform them we have prisoners for pickup.”

“Aye, aye, Admiral!” The two stations called out before carrying out their orders.

Five minutes after he gave those orders the forward view screen was lit up by the exploding Cheesehead fleet. The biggest of those flares of light belonged to the battle platform Galactica. The Tactical Officer put the thoughts of the bridge crew into words. “My God! I hope they cleared the blast radius.”

“According to my scans sir. All escape pods and lifeboats were clear when that monster went up.” One of the sensor operators quickly told him. “A few of them may have been rocked by the shockwave. But I have life signs and emergency beacon signals from them all sir.”

“Begin search, rescue, and recovery operations, Mister Hollister. We still have a long way to go before this war is over. Coms once you receive conformation from Pathfinder and Wonderer. Contact the Lady Fuyuko and have her muster her half of the Fleet at this point.” Cosby turned and addressed the bridge crew. “Well, ladies and gentlemen we have successfully kicked off Operation Wind Hammer.”

“Admiral Cosby I have to ask. What exactly is the objective of our mission?” His XO asked as he walked over to stand next to Cosby.

“The total destruction of the Gorgonzola home fleets. Between us, the seventh, and nineth-Fleets we’ll be the hammer of the God. The fifth, sixth, tenth, and twenty-fourth Fleets are the anvil. We’re to pound the Cheesehead Navt flat until they either surrender or are destroyed.” Cosby snarled. “Personally, I hope like hell they put a fight. Because I have a bounced check that I want to return.”

“What check would that be sir?” The XO chuckled.

“The one the Cheeseheads let their alligator mouths write that their jaybird asses can’t cash.” Cosby chuckled as his bridge crew laughed.

“Does that make you the bill collector, sir?” The Helmsman called out.

“It makes us the repo crew Stark.” Cosby answered with a nasty smile. “And I plan to repo every last deign they’ve stolen from us over the last two-hundred years.”

“Nakatoma Repo Services. You call, we hull, anywhere, anytime. You need it crushed. We offer a full range of scrap yard services.” The XO wise cracked causing the rest of the crew to laugh.

-----tbc-----

up
402 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fluffy pillow

Apparently you have survived the dreaded fluffy pillow assault! Kudos to you!! Here's hoping that that the South Carolina crew does as well!

OGE

Ignorant, bratty, a bully- and stupid to boot

Innocenzo Juliana is all of the above. Rather than realizing his grandiose dream has turned to s**t, he would rather destroy the empire and its citizens. Asking for peace terms doesn't necessarily mean he would be off the throne, but it would be a humiliation. And heaven forbid that he be humiliated. In his mind it is far better to destroy his empire than be seen as having failed. Like Hitler, he uses genocide against other peoples and will willingly destroy his own empire rather than be seen as a loser. I just hope that Grand War Commander Gavreau doesn't wind up like Claus Philipp Maria Justinian Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg who tried to blow up Hitler.

I'm anxious to find out what is happening on Apollo 6. I'm sure CAWO Robert Wolff is having fun training the gangs of Goulcrest (woe be unto the local cops after the war) and raising merry hell with the Cheeseheads. I wonder if, given how well they are working together, there is a possible romance between him and Blackjack. It certainly would derail any possibility of getting him to become the head of the Owens clan through an arranged marriage.

Wolfjess, I hope that you are on the mend and able to defend yourself against fluffy pillow attacks from your daughter. Stay safe and get healthy. As usual, another great chapter in this Death Dealer saga.

Huzzah

I never know what to put in the subject line.

As always I love your stories. Thank you.

I assume based on the fact your posting that you feel better or such is my hope.

this made me laugh

“Nakatoma Repo Services. You call, we hull, anywhere, anytime. You need it crushed. We offer a full range of scrap yard services.”

When will the other nations learn not to frack with the human empire?

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Thank you

Jess! Very entertaining and fondest wishes you continue your return to health

Stalya

Jack Turner?

smdani4mm's picture

surprised it wasn't Jack Sparrow.
Dani

SmDani4

According to the actual legends

wolfjess7's picture

Dani,

According to what I was able to find the actual pirate legend of the Black Peal her captain was Jacob Martian Turner. She was a 1670-1680 captured Spanish Gold Fleet Escort 20 gun Man-o-war. Jack Turner was a Colonial American subject of the British who was granted a Privateers License or Letter of Mark by the Crown for the sole purpose of crippling the Spanish Gold Fleets. In late August of 1681 the real Black Pearl along with the Coral Reef sank somewhere off the coast of Haiti in a hurricane.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Spoiled brat!

Jamie Lee's picture

Even with the evidence of those planets destroyed, Innocenzo still refuses to surrender. He's willing to destroy the lives still living on his planet and the other planets before he'll even consider surrendering.

He's nothing more than a petulant spoiled brat. Who when young, likely always got his way, regardless. The plot to oust him is about time, if only to keep more planets from becoming their former selves millions of years ago.

Bluffing only works if the other side thinks they've no chance of surviving a fight. And if a bluff continues to get enemy ships destroyed without firing a shot, then we'll and good.

Innocenzo was a fool to think he'd get away with actually attacking the Human Empire. Those who rode his coat tails in the Human Empire are just as foolish. When the Cheeseheads are finally defeated, the trators will be next, and won't have any place to hide from an entire planet of people.

Others have feelings too.