Rage

Printer-friendly version

This is a dark story. At least, it feels dark to me. Maybe it feels darker than it actually is, because it's something that happened to me. Still ... if reading about bad things happening to people might hurt or harm you in any way, then please don't read this story. This is something I'm writing for my own sanity. It would break my heart if anything I wrote hurt someone. So, if you're not sure you should read this story, then please don't.

Like I said, this is a dark story. It started in a dark room, in a house my family had just moved into. In that room there were three bay windows. Someone tapped on one of those windows. Being curious, I opened the window. Or maybe I was stupid. I was three. What did I know about not opening windows to strangers?

And here, the memory starts to fragment. I have a vague recollection of him coming through the window, and talking to him, and him seeming friendly at first, then ... there's just ... blankness. Next bit of memory I have is being on the mattress on the floor (we had just moved in, and hadn't had time to put the beds together). My hands were pinned above my head. My nose and mouth were covered by a hand. I couldn't breath.

I remember being terrified, but not the exact cause. Maybe it was the not being able to breathe. I remember being told to shut up. After a while of me trying to scream through his hand, he threatened my family. That's when Rage woke up. After a few failed attempts, my teeth found purchase somewhere on the inside of his hand. I bit down hard.

And then ... more blankness. I vaguely remember white hot wrath filling me when I could breathe again. Then ... something happened. Next thing I know, he was gone. I was rolled up in my blankets, screaming for my parents. I think it took a while before I realized one of them was holding me. I think I cried a lot when I did. I also forgot a lot, including Rage.

=-=-=

A few years later, when I was in first grade, I saw someone who had been bullying me for a while. At the far end of the sidewalk, I saw the bully harassing someone, and Rage woke up. A wrath I'd forgotten filled my chest. I ran down the sidewalk, and rammed the bully. Somehow, even though he was bigger than me, I still knocked him down.

Next thing I know I was sitting on his chest. My fingers were dug into his hair. There was a gutteral growl. It was coming from me, even though it felt like it had to be coming from somewhere else. Rage was slamming the back of his head into the sidewalk. Okay ... it was me. But it also wasn't. Or maybe I just want to believe it wasn't.

I was ringed in by kids my own age. They were cheering me on. I could see a hunger in their eyes. Seeing what was in their eyes made my stomach turn. I'm not sure if Rage noticed them or not. I'm not sure what would have happened if someone hadn't physically picked me up off the bully.

And ... you guessed it ... more blankness. I remember being in deep, deep trouble. I think I'd been beaten for beating someone up, but I don't actually remember what happened. It's like I know *something* happened, and vaguely remember being terrified, but nothing specific.

I guess that's all I have the strength to say for now. I'm a little bit surprised I've gotten this far in writing everything out. I've been half expecting to blank out, and find myself somewhere else. I think I'll just stop writing now, and see if I can get away with submitting this, before the blankness comes.

Wish me luck.

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

you're very brave, sharing this

I hope it didn't cause you too much pain, because I'm a big believer in "better out than in", and that writing this stuff down will help in the long run.

DogSig.png

It was ...

... kinda rough sharing, but it was something I needed to share. I don't have this flashback as often as I used to. Usually, when I'm able to pull out of it enough to move, I'll go around the house and turn on the lights, then just try to ground myself, and find something to do to keep myself from slipping back while waiting for the sun to come up. But, this morning, there was a part of me that said, "No! I ain't shuttin' up!"

Next thing I know, I was typing stuff out. I'm glad I did. The part of me that's scared of speaking seems a little less scared. I think you're right, 'bout it bein' better out'n in. Thank you for readin' this, an' commentin'. It really means a lot, knowin' somebody actually heard, and didn't act like I was crazy, or makin' stuff up.

When I was young, I had an

leeanna19's picture

When I was young, I had an argument with a friend. The next thing I knew, my fight hand was around his throat pinning him to a wall under a bridge. I had lifted him nearly a foot off the ground with one hand!

A year later I was fishing with my younger, but taller brother. We were arguing, he nearly pushed me in. After a few seconds I came to. He was lifted above my head in both hands, I was just about to throw him in the river.

Both these things happened when I was between 13 -15 years old. I was so scared of rage, I thought I may kill someone.

I try not to get angry now. Leeanna keeps the rage away.

I ws

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Far as I know ...

... that time in first grade was the only time Rage got loose, with nobody to pull 'em back. Things were kinda just ... all over the place way back then. Rage is still 'round, but we got Walker now, who makes sure nobody who could cause trouble fronts. Don't think I was ever scared of Rage, 'cause I never 'membered when they was around. It wasn't till a long time later, with some help, I got some shreds of memory pieced together, and had an idea of what had been goin' on.

Those two times and once when

leeanna19's picture

Those two times and once when I was 16 ,and drunk are the only times I have ever "blanked out".
I was so scared in case it happened and I hurt someone.

I know you hear of people doing extraordinary feats of strength, I have experienced it , but only in a blind rage.

Did they ever catch the guy that was try to molest you?

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

I dunno ...

... what happened to him. I don't even 'member what his face looked like.

Wow, this was deep

We can understand Rage. It's king of good that she gets out occassionally but as long as those visits are supervised. She needs to learn how to control herself, Rage does.

Thanks for sharing.

>>> Kay

I'm not sure ...

... if learning is something Rage can do. Rage seems to react instinctively, rather than think things out. I could be completely wrong, though. A supervised outing sounds interesting, but scary too. Not really sure how that could be done safely.

Rage of my own

I think there are many of us, yes I believe I also have that same issue, and have had it all my life. That is why I'm glad I've retired and have that many less triggers to deal with. Above all else a great deal of restraint in replying to obvious attempts of those to goad me with head games.
One way was to use humor after someone threatened me with physical violence and I Threatened to be very good friends with them or something. Helter Skelter line of thinking.

I got a bit of a ways ...

... 'fore I can retire, but *most* of the time, the folk at my work are pretty cool. Even when they do stuff, it's just frustratin', not actual tryin' to push my buttons. Well ... most of the time.