The Road to Hell

Printer-friendly version

Josh Ryan was not normal. He talked different, walked different, laughed different... and everyone knew it. He had two very close friends who always wanted to help him; in fact, throughout his young life, he always had people around who wanted to help him... usually to fend off his parents who seemed like they would do anything for him. Their desire to help however, often made his own life take a back seat to their ideas of why he was so different and who he should become as a result... "for his own good." Determined to raise Josh 'their way' and according to their own ideas of who he is, it would take extreme circumstances and more pain than Josh ever thought a person could endure for anyone to even begin to see the damage his parents were doing to his childhood, his future, and in the end, his very life... all "with the best of intentions."

Set in northeastern Ohio in the mid-to-late 2000s, The Road to Hell tells the story of a boy whose parents try to make him be something he isn't and can never be, all to satisfy their own ideals and beliefs, and the havoc they create in the process. However well meaning, their efforts only serve to make their son a victim of 'learned helplessness' and to seek out the easiest path in life, rather than fight for what he believes in. A dark tale of idealism, extremism, and ideology versus reality, where the greatest question in life can be brought to bear: "Who am I?" The book takes no stance on right or wrong or the moral questions that plague our time. It merely tries to engage the reader into questioning if their own deeply held beliefs, no matter how firmly they may believe them to be good, fair, or even righteous and holy, are in fact just well intentioned tyranny.

This book is dedicated to my wife, Rachel.
You inspire me to be more than I thought possible,
to live life more full of fun and joy than I knew achievable,
and not take any moment of this precious gift called life for granted.
You never tried to put me in a box; you tore down my walls.
"We love because He first loved us."

Copyright © 2020, 2021 Roberta Elder - All Rights Reserved

128,909 words

This is a work of fiction. The names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents herein are solely the products of the author's imagination or are used in a fictitious manner. Any connection or resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events or firms is purely coincidental. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior permission in writing and signed by the author, nor be otherwise circulated in any form other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed upon the subsequent publisher.

AttachmentSize
PDF icon The Road to Hell1.74 MB
up
48 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*blushing*

Thanks so much for mentioning me in the intro of your story, Roberta! For the most part, what I write are stories I'd like to read, but it's nice to know others like my stories too. I never really expected anything I created to inspire someone else, and I feel a bit overwhelmed to find out one of my stories did just that. So, again, thank you, and congratulations on being a new writer here on BCTS! :)

High Praise

RobertaME's picture

Considering the source, i.e. you, that is the highest praise I could imagine. ::blush::

More than anything, I want to know what you think about The Road to Hell. Even if everyone else hates it, if you enjoy it then it was worth the time it took to get it done.

I am not a writer, as I've said before. These four stories that I've posted up will probably be the only ones I ever do. I'm simply not inspired or driven to make others, as true writers are. I only hope that my sharing these stories does someone some good, even if it's only to entertain them for a while, and maybe make them think.

I would be honored to have your honest opinion of The Road to Hell. If you don't like it, please let me know what's wrong with it so I can find a way to fix it.

Thanks for the inspiration!
RobertaME

Wonderful old story,

I'm really glad I gave it a try. I usually hate forced fem stories, but this one is simply captivating. Such a unique take on this subject, I love the different perspectives this shows.

You and me both, sister!

RobertaME's picture

I too fervently dislike forced feminization stories, but Heather Rose Brown's story, I Ain't Gay made me have to write this. I don't even know why, other than what I put in the intro.

Thank you so much for your comment! It really means a lot to me that you took the time to do so! ::blush:: It's all I get for these stories, so thanks again!

Hello Roberta

That was a tough read, though very well written and I absolutely think you a fabulous author. I read the first third in detail, skimped the next third and read most of the ending. I do apologise. I wanted to finish within the day and often you don't go back to stories if you don't reach it within an extended session. I don't want to give spoilers but I found it very difficult at the point where Josh/Joss was forced to come off the blockers and there was surgery.. But you gave a lot of empathy to the girlfriends in the novel and he/she found support in the end. I believe the other story is more autobiographical but this one suggests it hasn't been easy for you. I hope all is good now. Hugs TC xx

Hugs
TinaC xx

It wasn't THAT bad...

RobertaME's picture

While nobody has a totally charmed life, mine has been blessed with more happiness than I ever thought possible. I have two co-wives, two sons, and my parents and in-laws who all love me for who I am. Yes, I had to endure 26 years of loneliness first, and a few bumps in the road along the way, but overall I know my own 'story' is far less painful than most. I've never been raped, beaten so badly I needed hospitalization, or even threatened because of who I am, so that puts me ahead of quite a few ladies like myself. Yes, loneliness for that long a time is hard to get through, but it was worth it!

I know this book is hard to get through, too. 127,704 words, most of which are dark and depressing. It was so hard to write that it took most of a year to get it done. I needed breaks from the oppressive tone. Still, it all needed to happen that way for Joss's victory to truly shine. He found in himself the courage to get through it all, overcome his learned helplessness, and become his own person. I will spoil this for anyone reading it; I had to give him a happy ending. Life is depressing enough without reading about cold realities. Plus, I am a Disney princess... more or less, so it had to be! ::giggle::

I'm flattered that you find my story worth taking the time to comment. I know I say that a lot, but I just want everyone who does to know how much it's appreciated. Thank you so much! ::blush::

Tough read

I gotta say, that was an emotional rollercoaster! I enjoyed it but it was seriously hard to read in some parts and quite a few tears were shed. Please keep up the good work!

I did read your other posts about pdf posting vs chapters/etc... It was work to read the pdf as I had to convert it to epub to be able to read it on my phone, so some people may have similar issues and not know how to convert a document to be more readable for their devices, etc.

PDF Format

RobertaME's picture

I've had enough comments/PMs on the issue that once I'm finished posting up my current story, The Wisher's Paradox, I'll be going back through these stories and posting them to the site in chapter form for easier consumption by those with issues reading PDFs.

It'll take most of a year to get through them all, (over 100 chapters at 1 every 2-3 days) but in the end I hope it makes them more accessible. Should you wish to comment on any of these chapters as they're posted, please feel free! (I crave comments and discussion far more than praise or kudos and is the main reason I posted these stories to begin with)

I know The Road to Hell was hard to get through, (and even harder to write) but I think it was worth it in the end! I think it's one of my best stories!

Thanks for commenting!

Hugs,
Roberta

and so it starts

i am now reading this story.

Hold on...

RobertaME's picture

...it's a rough ride.

Hugs,
Roberta

Great story.

Very well written and what a sad one too. Heartbreaking in so many ways.Knowing similar issues in the Autism community. Well done.