Chapter 20 - Another Birthday

Printer-friendly version

Link: The Road to Hell Title Page and Description

--

Judy spent the next month looking into any legal options for Josh. In the end all that came of it was that he could file a malpractice lawsuit against Dr. Williams, but not until after he turned eighteen. Until then only his parents could file one on his behalf.

As for action against his parents, while she made sure to couch her questions in hypotheticals to protect Josh's anonymity, everyone she'd spoken to gave her the same answer; in Ohio, a parent's authority over their children was almost absolute unless abuse could be proven. So long as Melanie had a letter certifying that Josh was transgendered, everything she'd done was completely legal and in 'her' best interests.

By the time school resumed in September for their sophomore year, Josh was almost indistinguishable from the girls in his classes, only noteworthy for his smaller size and above average looks. He was also seeing Grace daily.

Walking to their lockers on the Monday four days before Halloween, the girl seemed nervous. Josh didn't say anything, figuring she would tell him when she was ready, and proceeded to put in his combination.

"Joss? Next Sunday is my birthday." she stated.

"I know!" he answered, putting away half his books. "I already have your present if you were thinking of dropping any hints!"

"No... nothing like that." Grace elaborated. "My Grandmother, my dad's mom, is coming out to see me."

Not having ever met any of his own grandparents, both Fred and Melanie's parents having all died without ever meeting them, Josh shrugged. "Sounds nice! What's she like?"

"Like about a hundred!" Grace groaned. Turning away embarrassedly, she continued. "Um... Joss, she... she doesn't... " Gathering her nerve, she said it all at once. "She doesn't know I'm Bi, OK? So she doesn't know anything about you and me."

Stopping as he was about to close his locker, he looked at her. "You mean, she doesn't know you're my girlfriend?"

Looking away, she mumbled something.

"Sorry, what?" he asked.

"She doesn't even know you exist." Grace said again. Sighing once more, she seemed to drag her feet as she headed towards her locker. "Grandma Doris is like, old-fashioned? I mean... like, really old-fashioned! She seems to think all sixteen-year-old girls should already either be betrothed or married! She's constantly on me to write and tell her about my 'suitors'! I can't exactly tell her my 'paramour' is a fifteen-year-old girl... sorta... no offense, and I can't really talk about you without getting all mushy, so..."

Giggling slightly, Josh smiled at Grace's troubles. "Aw! I'm sorry, Grace!" he apologized as she looked upset. "How often do you have to email her?"

"No, I mean write, as in on a piece of paper with a pen!" she complained. "She doesn't even have email! I tried typing her a letter once and printing it out. She said it was cold and impersonal! I even signed it by hand!"

Too much to take, Josh caught a case of the giggles. "Oh! I'm sorry, Grace! I... I can't help it! It's just too funny is all!" he continued to laugh while she fumed.

"Yeah, well you won't find this funny. She's bringing me out a date for my birthday!" Grace groused.

His laughter coming to an abrupt end, Josh looked at her. "You... you can't be serious?" he hoped.

"Oh... I'm afraid so, Joss." she seethed as she spun the dial on her locker like a top. "His name's Francis Green, he's twenty, he goes to Harvard, and drives a Mercedes. And he's taking me to dinner, dancing, and a movie!"

His heart breaking as he listened, believing that she was mad because he was laughing, Josh was only moments from running off to the nearest restroom to cry. "You... you told her you'd go with him?" When Grace didn't answer, he nearly broke down. "Are you dumping me, Grace?"

Slamming her palm against her locker as she messed up the combination again, she glared at Josh. "No! How can you even ask me that!" Turning away from him, she tried again to open it.

Gulping in fear, Josh said nothing until she'd opened the lock. "I... I guess because you told her you'd go with him. You're going on a date, with another boy... a man. What am I supposed to think, Grace?" When she didn't answer, Josh continued. "Look, I know you like manly-looking guys as well as girls! I've seen you ogling Jeff Spencer at football games when you're in color guard! I don't care! But... a date? With a grown man? A man in college?"

Waiting, when Grace didn't say anything, the microscopic vestiges of his male ego were crushed. "I... I guess I'll just never be good enough for you. I hope you have a good birthday without me. I guess I'll see you around." Turning to go, Grace caught his arm.

"Joss!"

When Grace spun him around to face her, she saw he was silently crying.

"Damn it, Joss!" she nearly sobbed. "Of course I want you to be there! It's my sweet sixteen! I don't want to go, she's making me go!"

Furrowing his brow, he yanked his arm from her hand and wiped tears off his cheek. "Making you go? How can she force you to go on a date with a grown man? Twenty, Grace? That's creepy! Thinking about some grown man putting his hands on you..."

Looking up and away at his graphic depiction, she then returned her gaze to his face and yelled in a whisper, "How can she make me, Joss? The same way Melanie made you get your ears pierced! You can't tell her no!"

Infuriated that she would try to compare his living hell to her situation, Josh narrowed his eyes at her and pursed his lips. "Last I checked, the only one you have to obey is Judy!" he shot back quietly. "I have no choice! If I don't do what Melanie says, they can lock me up! In a boys' juvenile detention! Can you just see what would happen to me there? Nothing bad will happen to you if you disobey your grandmother... will it, Grace? You're just too scared to tell your grandma no! Either that or you actually want to date Sir Slab of Beefcake! Fancy car! Dinner and dancing! So, which is it?"

Hearing the hurt, anger, and betrayal in Joss's voice and seeing the tears dripping from his eyes, Grace knew she should say something, but she could only hang her head in shame at being too cowardly to tell her grandmother the truth. Unfortunately, it was the worst thing she could do.

"I see." he said sadly, taking her silence the worst way possible. "You do want to go. Well, I hope he's worth it, Grace. Goodbye." At that, he turned and stormed off to his first class, leaving her standing there alone.

When Grace looked for Josh in their usual meeting place, the same spot on the grass behind the benches they sat in on the first day they met, he wasn't there. She didn't see him again the rest of the day either, which was unusual as there were several times during the day that they should cross paths.

At first she was angry with him for assuming the worst of her, but the more she thought about how there could be no real negative repercussions if she just told her grandmother the truth, that she was Josh's girlfriend, the worse she felt. By the time she returned home, Grace was certain that she'd ruined their relationship with her cowardice.

Sunday the second of November came and Grace sat in her living room bored and depressed. While her grandmother was visiting with Judy in the kitchen, Frank, her unwanted guest, sat too close to her with his arm on the back of the couch behind her head. Regaling her with dull stories about college and fraternity life, he obviously thought he was utterly fascinating to a sixteen-year-old girl. Feeling dirty and used, she wished she could be anywhere else but there right then, preferably in Josh's arms.

"So anyway," he blathered on, "that was the third time I caught him in a logical fallacy, which all but ended the debate! We won, of course!" Turning to Grace, Frank lowered his arm so that he could touch her bare neck and shoulders. "So... Grace? Now that you're sixteen, you're free to do a lot of things you couldn't do before!" he oozed.

Standing up to avoid his touch, she shuddered with revulsion. "Can I get you anything, Frank? Coffee? Soda? Neutered?" she mumbled under her breath.

"Nothing like that, Grace." he said, standing up next to her. "Maybe later? Say after dinner? Skip the movie? Find a nice motel somewhere? You're a really lucky girl! I know how to treat a woman!"

As he reached for her, Grace headed for the kitchen. "So, Grandma Doris! How've you been?"

Seeing her granddaughter running away from the date she'd spent a lot of time and trouble setting up, she stood and narrowed her eyes at Grace. "You seem to have forgotten your manners, dear! You have a guest to see to!"

"But Grandma Doris, it's my birthday, and I haven't seen you in two years! I miss you!" She hoped the ploy would sidetrack things for a while at least.

Falling for the act, Doris Wright smiled at her. "Of course, child! I should have thought about that! Francis! Won't you join us in the dining room?" Moving Grace to a chair, she took the one to the girl's right while Frank entered and took the one to her left, sliding the chair over so he could drape his right arm over the back of hers.

"Mother Wright?" Judy interceded. "Perhaps Frank should sit a respectable distance from Grace."

"Nonsense, Judy!" she batted away the suggestion. "Let the young lady be! She's sixteen now and not some child! I'm sure she's quite content with a big, strong arm around her!"

Judy put her foot down. "Whether she is or not, Mother Wright, this is my house and Scott wouldn't have tolerated it, so neither will I. Frank?"

Seeing the woman was not going to give in, Frank cleared his throat and scooted his chair back where it came from. "Yes, Ma'am."

"Oh, Judy!" Doris admonished. "You're ruining the girl's day! Sixteen is supposed to be the opening of new frontiers! Magical! Mysterious! The doorway to womanhood!"

"In this house, Grace's doorway to womanhood is closed!" she insisted as she sat across from her mother-in-law.

The mood turning chilly while everyone went silent, Grace tried to fix it. "Could I open my presents now, Mom?"

Sighing before looking at her daughter, Judy smiled kindly. "Of course, sweetheart! Frank? Lend me a hand?"

As the two left the room, Grace looked over at her grandmother. "So... Frank seems... mature."

"He is, child." she replied frankly. "Mature, virile, wealthy, well-connected, with good breeding and a good future. You would do well to take advantage of his interest in you! You don't know how hard it was to get that interest. My son, your father, God rest his soul, being a military man who didn't even have the wherewithal to get a commission, doesn't exactly inspire the crème de la crème of society to come seeking your hand."

Standing, Doris paced around the table. "I'll not see my only granddaughter marry some backwoods farmer from Ohio! So you listen to me! You stick to Francis tonight like glue! Make him want you! Make him beg to have you! Only give in when he offers you his name!" Coming around the table, she moved up behind Grace and laid her hands on the girl's shoulders, pushing down the corners of her sleeves to expose more shoulder. "I think you know what to do!"

In shock that her grandmother was suggesting she give herself to a man she barely knew in promise of him marrying her, she was too terrified to even speak. Luckily, at that moment Judy and Frank brought in her gifts. While she unwrapped them, her mind was racing to find a way out of all this.

When at last she thought she'd opened all her presents, she went to get up before seeing a small package that had been hidden under some discarded wrapping paper. "What's this?" she asked, picking it up.

Looking at it a moment, Judy had to think before she remembered. "Oh! That was the gift Jocelyn dropped off for you on Friday. I forgot all about it! I'm sorry she missed today, Grace! I know you wanted her to be here!"

"Who is this Jocelyn?" Doris asked as though the name were dirty. "Some schoolgirl friend?"

"She's my best friend, Grandma Doris." Grace said as she examined the package wistfully. "The best friend I've ever had!" Looking at the perfectly wrapped box, tears formed in the corners of her eyes as she realized Josh had dropped it off after their fight; that he'd still wanted her to have it, even after she'd let him down so badly.

"Well, go on child!" Doris insisted impatiently. "Open it and get it over with so we can get on with the evening!"

Peeling the paper back slowly and carefully, she at last revealed a simple white box with a lid. Lifting it off and pushing aside the tissue paper, her breath caught and the threatening tears flowed like water as Grace's face furrowed into sobs of anguish.

"Whatever is the matter, child!" Doris bristled. "What's going on?"

Making her way around the table, Judy put her arm around Grace, helping her to sit as the girl cradled the box in her hands as she cried openly. "Grace, sweetie? What's wrong? What did she get you?" Looking down at the gift, Judy nearly started crying herself. "Oh, Grace!"

Pulling herself together, the girl choked back her tears and finally showed her grandmother the contents of the box. "It's Daddy!" she choked out.

Snatching the gift, she examined it like a pawnbroker appraising a stolen watch. It was a wood carving, obviously done with a dremel using a piece of oak that had been stained and polished until it shone. Carved into it was the face of her son with a grim and determined expression. Under it, carved in lovely calligraphy, were three simple words.

"No Greater Love..." Doris said slowly as she read them.

Grace threw her arms around her mother and bawled heavily, not caring if she embarrassed her grandmother or Frank. "Oh, Mom!" she cried.

Standing up, Doris was furious. "Grace! Stop that at once! You're sixteen, not six! It's a simple wood carving not worth the stain used to make it!"

Hearing the harsh words, Grace slowly let go of Judy as the tears stopped.

"That's better!" Doris said with a smile. "Now..."

"Shut! Up!" Grace shouted slowly as she stepped away from Judy and in front of Doris. "Just shut your stupid mouth!"

"Grace!" Judy said in surprise.

"I've put up with just about enough of this, Mother!" the girl yelled. "I put up with her setting me up on a date I don't want... I put up with denying myself for her sake... I put up with her causing me to not have Joss here today... I even put up with her telling me I should act like a bimbo tonight for Frank here so he might be horny enough to marry me! But when she belittles such a beautiful gift from the girl I love, that's too much!"

Stepping in front of Doris, standing nearly eye-to-eye with the older woman, Grace laid it all out. "Don't you ever say anything bad about anything my Jocelyn does! Do you hear me you nasty old bat?"

Sputtering like an engine running out of gas, her eyes widened at what Grace was saying. "Your Jocelyn? The girl you love? Have you gone mad, girl? No granddaughter of mine..."

"Ya' wanna bet?" Grace interrupted her. "Get a clue, Doris. I'm Bi! Suck it! I like girls! In fact, I'm in love with one! Jocelyn is ten times the woman you'll ever be without even trying!" Turning to Frank, who still sat in his chair speechless, it was his turn for her wrath. "And ten times the man you'll ever be! At least he doesn't try to sexually assault sixteen-year-old girls in their own home! Try to touch me again and you'll pull back a bloody stump! Ya' got that, Romeo?"

Grace was suddenly overcome with a need to get away. Picking up the carving, she looked at the three she'd intimidated into silence. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a girl to go thank for the best gift I've ever gotten... him! If he'll still have me!" At that she ran out of the house as fast as the long skirt of her dress and her high heels would allow.

Looking at her mother-in-law in stunned silence while Grace went on her rampage and then out the door, Judy finally asked, "You told her to let this man take advantage of her?" When she saw Doris was not going to deny the claim but try to justify it, she didn't even let her finish. "Get out, Doris. Get out and never come back. Don't write, don't call, don't bother! You will have nothing to do with Scott's daughter! Don't even speak to me! Get! Out!"

Her face contorted into fear and then fury, Doris narrowed her eyes and walked out the door without a word.

Turning at last to Frank, she leaned over the back of his chair and stated calmly, "I have my husband's Beretta M-nine on my nightstand, Frank. You have until I reach it to get off my property or I'm going to blow a hole in you so big you could row a boat through it!" That said, she started down the hallway at a brisk pace.

Frank came flying out of the house and passed Doris at a run as though the devil himself were on his heels before Judy even reached her bedroom door.

Josh sat in his room, still dressed from church. He told his parents that he'd gone out for breakfast, which he had after the services, and then returned without a word. In fact, he hadn't spoken to them all week save that which was absolutely necessary and unavoidable. While he lay on his bed, thoughts of ending his miserable existence floating though his mind, they were suddenly dismissed when he heard a commotion downstairs.

Grace ran in her heels all the way to Josh's home, not even caring that she looked ridiculous running through her neighborhood in an evening gown. When she at last reached his house, she burst in through the front door and yelled, "Joss!"

Fred and Melanie came running into the living room while Grace continued to shout for him. "What's going on?" Melanie shouted at her. "Grace! Stop that yelling!"

Fred tried to calm both women down. "Let's just settle down, now!" he shouted. "Grace? Please stop shouting! Mel? You too!"

"Joss!" the girl shouted again as she searched the room. Seeing he wasn't downstairs, she shouted towards the upstairs landing. "Joss!"

Getting up, Josh made his way to the bedroom door and out to the stairs. When he saw Grace being surrounded by his parents shouting at her, their eyes met in a moment.

"Joss!" Grace said in relief as she saw him on the upper landing, pushed between the two adults, and ran up the stairs. Throwing her arms around him, she kissed him more deeply than she'd ever kissed anyone in her life.

Overcome at the sight of her, Josh watched as she raced up to him. When she embraced him and kissed him, he melted into her arms immediately, wrapping his own arms around her without even thinking. All he knew was that before he was miserable and now he was complete.

When at last she separated from his lips, still holding him in her arms, Grace smiled at him and pulled him into a hug. "I couldn't do it, Joss! I love you too much! I told that old bat just where she could stuff it and ran here as fast as I could! You were right! I was being a coward! Please forgive me?"

Slowly processing what she was saying, Josh began to smile and hug her in return. "Of course, Grace! I'll always forgive you! I love you, too!"

Pulling back slowly to look him in the eyes, stunned at hearing the words, it dawned on her that she'd finally told Josh to his face that she loved him. "Joss? You... you love me?"

Nodding with an ever-growing smile, he pressed his forehead against hers. "I've known for a while now. I was just too scared to say it out loud."

Giggling, Grace hugged him tightly once more. "I love you, Joss! And I love your gift! It's the second most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Thank you!"

Smiling together, they both heard the knock on the door. Looking down at his parents, they watched Fred move off to answer it.

"Judy!" he said, only half surprised to see her. They'd met a few times when she'd come over to pick up Josh, but his son had made sure to limit their contact, still remembering the trauma of his parents meeting the Healys. "Come in!" he offered.

"Thank you, Fred." she said politely. "Is Grace here?" Looking around, she spotted the two at the top of the stairs. "Grace!"

"I'm not going back, Mom!" the girl said sternly. "I don't care what you do to me, that woman's a nasty bitch and I'm not spending my birthday anywhere near her or that human octopus she brought with her!"

"It's alright, Grace!" her mother explained. "She's gone. So's that vile little troll she brought with her! I threw them out!"

Grace's countenance brightened as she stared down at Judy. "Really! You did that? For me?" Seeing her mother nod, Grace hurried downstairs with Josh in tow, refusing to let go of his hand until she stood next to her mother. "You're wonderful, Mom!" she stated as she wrapped Judy in a hug.

When at last Grace let go and returned to holding Josh's hand, Melanie had finally had enough. "OK, so what's going on then?"

Even as Grace opened her mouth to explain, Josh answered, "It's nothing, Melanie. Just a big misunderstanding between Grace and I. Everything's fine now!" When Grace gave him a questioning look, he imperceptibly shook his head, indicating that he didn't want his parents involved.

Swallowing nervously, Grace took both of Josh's hands. "Jocelyn? Would you go out to dinner with me tonight? Please?"

With a smile, Josh nodded enthusiastically. "Of course I will, Grace! Let me get my purse!"

The two sat with Judy at the same restaurant that Josh and his parents had gone to his first day out as a girl. He listened quietly while Grace and Judy took turns explaining the events of the afternoon.

"So that's when I told her off!" Grace stated. "I could take a lot from her, but I just couldn't take her bad-mouthing you... or your gift! It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, Joss... second to you, of course!"

Blushing, Josh just picked at his salad.

Judy nodded in agreement. "It is, Jocelyn. Where did you get it done?"

"I made it." he stated shyly. "Over the summer in woodworking class. I told my parents I was at a trans therapy group that meets in the same building."

Looking at him in stunned silence, Judy broke the spell first. "You... you made that? Jocelyn! You have a wonderful talent! It's beautiful!"

Grace took his hand and squeezed it gently. "That makes it even better than if you'd bought it, Joss! You did all that... for me?"

Shrugging, Josh took a bite and swallowed before answering. "I just wish I could have known him. He seems like he was a wonderful man. While I was making it, I thought a lot about why he chose to do what he did... join the military, I mean... and spend so much time away from the people he loved... only to end up dying so far from home." Looking up at Grace, he smiled weakly. "Then one day, it just suddenly clicked into place. It all made sense."

Squeezing Grace's hand, he sighed and looked at her with love in his eyes.

"He did it for you."

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The crazies

Dee Sylvan's picture

are coming out of the woodwork. A grandmother sets up her 16 year old granddaughter to have sex with a 20 year old college student? And her mother was ok with it?

I somehow thought Josh would end up with Jennifer but with all the crazy plot twist in this I have no idea where this is going. I am hooked and can’t wait to see the ending.

DeeDee

The date

RobertaME's picture

Judy had no idea that Grandmother Wright was going to even suggest that Grace have sex with Frank, thus the shock at learning about it from Grace. She thought it was just a normal "blind date" with a family friend and didn't see the harm in it. Also remember the talk Judy had with Josh in Chapter 19 - Growing Up is Hard to Do.

Facing Josh, Judy's voice lowered. "When she became your friend, she put all her eggs in one basket, so to speak. She hasn't made any other friends. I don't think she could take it if you two were to get involved and then lose you."

Then combine that with bumping into Greg Long, her old High School sweetheart who she ended up leaving behind when she went off to college and you start to see that Judy is expecting Josh and Grace to break up eventually and wants her daughter to not be left with no friends when, as she sees it, the 'inevitable' happens. It's not an altogether wrong notion, either. The vast majority of High School romances don't survive beyond school... so the odds are that Grace could end up alone and without anyone but her widowed mother in her life if they're no longer a couple. Like most parents, Judy is trying to protect her daughter and push her out of her comfort zone... i.e. dating Josh and having him be the center of her social world.

As a parent, I can understand her motivations. I pushed my boys out of their comfort zone many times growing up... for their own good. We made them try a musical instrument even though they showed no inclination or talent... made them try out for a sport even though they weren't interested... made them go to school dances even though they wanted to just stay home and play on their computer... etc. It's part of a parent's job to push their children to be more than they think they can be to help build self confidence and also learn their own limitations... and to accept failure graciously and without self-flagellation.

Judy simply saw an opportunity for Grace to be taken out on a date with someone other than Josh... to show her daughter that there are options. If such an opportunity had presented itself with my own boys when they were growing up, I think I'd have gone along with it... just to stretch their horizons a bit. (as it is my oldest boy has never even been on a date yet... and he'll be 21 this year... only 2 years younger than I was when I went on my first date)

There's nothing inherently sexual about a date... so it's not like she was "pimping her out"... to quote Grace!

The story has more twists and turns coming... and will get a lot darker before it gets better... so hold on to your seat!

Hugs,
Roberta

Re: The Date

As a parent, I can understand her motivations. I pushed my boys out of their comfort zone many times growing up... for their own good. We made them try a musical instrument even though they showed no inclination or talent... made them try out for a sport even though they weren't interested... made them go to school dances even though they wanted to just stay home and play on their computer... etc. It's part of a parent's job to push their children to be more than they think they can be to help build self confidence and also learn their own limitations...

Isn't that what Joss's parents are doing? Pushing him/her for their own good? "I pushed my boys out of their comfort zone many times growing up... for their own good. We made them". . . yada, yada, yada. What is the line between "their own good" and mental abuse?

My parents made me do plenty of things "for my own good", and at the same time prevented me from doing what I wanted to. Occasionally that veered into corporeal punishment, not always restrained. But it was all "for (my) own good". Oh, and there was no accepting failure. Failure was an excuse, not a reason. You'd better do better the next time.

That's why I left home as soon as I graduated high school and didn't talk to or see my parents for twenty years. Now THAT was for my own good!

The key here is who gets to define the terms. Grandmother Doris brought the college kid to hook up with Grace 'for her own good'. Moral abstractions can be made to cover any action.

Proudly I can say I never had any children! No little minds were warped on my watch! Horrors, I might have let them be (shock!!) latchkey kids! I might have let them ride their bikes without full (American) football padding! I might even have let them walk to the neighborhood park by themselves!

I'd probably still be in prison.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Parental prerogative

RobertaME's picture

What is the line between "their own good" and mental abuse?

What defines mental abuse and neglect is very clear in law. Depending on jurisdiction, letting a child be alone at home under a certain age or allowing them to ride a bicycle with less than the legally required protection, may be classed as neglect... or it may not. It's highly variable, so I can't say if it would be punishable or not. No where that I know of would call making my kids learn a musical instrument or try out for sports "mental abuse"... and you'd be hard-pressed to find a jurisdiction that would class "made my son go on a date with a girl" as abuse, either.

Are you saying that Judy was neglectful or abusive by allowing her 16-year-old daughter to go on a date with a 20-year-old? No one was forcing Grace to go... she was just willing to go to keep the peace... until Doris insulted Josh, that is. Even if Judy did make Grace go on the date with Frank though, you'd be hard pressed to call it abuse unless Frank ended up raping her or some such.

The term 'mental abuse' gets thrown around a lot... but what it is can be defined clearly in law. Since I do a ton of research on my stories, you can be sure that in Ohio in 2008 it would not be considered mental abuse to make your 16-year-old child go on a date, so long as nothing bad happened to them.

I think it's a shame that you never had children, though. I'm sure that you wouldn't have inflicted any more scars on your children than I did on my own. (who are so scarred by my constant mental abuse of them that at almost 19 and 21 they're still living at home and don't want to leave!)

Hugs,
Roberta

.

Dee Sylvan's picture

.

DeeDee

An absolutely fantastic chapter.

Roberta, The whole story so far is fantastic. I too cannot wait for the next chapter. Grandma Doris must be real old fashion to want to set her granddaughter up with a 20 yr old. What is she from the old country where a parent marries off their daughter when she is 16 or younger to an older man. What grandma was doing was illegal as it is considered statutory rape. No matter who condoned it.

Statutory Rape

RobertaME's picture

Statutory rape is defined as sexual contact with someone below the age of consent. Since the age of consent in Ohio is sixteen... statutory rape is no longer possible against Grace, regardless of the age of the man. Furthermore, Doris Wright wasn't forcing Grace to have sex against her will, so it can't be considered normal rape, either. She was just heavily implying what Grace should do. Yes... it's skeezy and scummy... but not rape.

Doris is what people used to call "old money"... that is, she descends from a wealthy family that has had wealth for many generations. Often these families would make arranged marriages to preserve their wealth and try to grow it. Frank Green, Grace's 'date', is also from an 'old money' family... raised to wealth and power. It's hard for the modern reader to contemplate the fact that in the United States, a place where family lineage isn't supposed to matter and the word 'aristocracy' isn't supposed to carry any weight, old money families continued to make arranged marriages all the way into not only the 20th century but the 21st as well. The only difference in the last 100 or so years is that such arranged marriages are done with the consent of the girl... often by making formal introductions with 'acceptable' single men and encouraging them to date and then marry... which is what Doris was doing.

While not explicitly stated in the story, Scott Wright, Grace's father, was from an 'old money' family, but he eschewed his family fortune and heritage and went off to make his own way... in the process meeting and marrying Judy Dillard. After his death, the Wright family matriarch, Doris, tried to bring his daughter Grace and wife Judy back into the family... supporting Judy and Grace (which is how the two could afford to live in an up-scale neighborhood when Judy is just a paralegal with DIC benefits) and pressuring the girl to conform to the family's ideals of what a 'proper young lady' should be. Grace's rejection of Doris's 'suitor' and Judy throwing her out means that the family won't be helping support them any more. They're on their own now.

I'm flattered that you're enjoying the story. ::blush:: I hope you'll still be enjoying it in the coming chapters. It's going to get rough.

Hugs,
Roberta

Legal Caveat

Age of 16 is consensual age, but Ohio does have a law that involves age difference last I was aware. (3 Years unless that has changed (It has been a while since I lived there.)) 19 would be safe from prosecution, but 20 is over the line since she wasn't seventeen.

Either way you painted the woman as despicable as she was. Beautiful way to end that chapter too.

Actually...

RobertaME's picture

2907.04 Unlawful sexual conduct with minor.
(A) No person who is eighteen years of age or older shall engage in sexual conduct with another, who is not the spouse of the offender, when the offender knows the other person is thirteen years of age or older but less than sixteen years of age, or the offender is reckless in that regard.
(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
(B)(2) Except as otherwise provided in division (B)(4) of this section, if the offender is less than four years older than the other person, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Thus, once you reach 16 years old in Ohio, the limit on age difference no longer applies. That is only for minors aged 13-15 and applies to those aged 18 or older, classed as a misdemeanor if they're within 4 years of age of the victim, a 4th degree felony if they're 5-9 years older, and a 3rd degree felony if they're 10 or more years older. (a 1st degree felony if they have a prior conviction)

I do a ton of research on all my stories... taking more time on research than I do on actual writing at times.

Thanks for the reality check though! Makes me feel that the research was worthwhile! :^)

Hugs,
Roberta

"He did it for you."

awesome. Grace's grandma and Frank got exactly what they deserved.

DogSig.png

Getting what they deserved

RobertaME's picture

Frank and Doris were thrown out on their ear... which is actually much less than they deserved. Doris deserved to be slapped for trying to pimp out her granddaughter, while Frank deserved a good kick in the nuts for being a sleazeball. While Judy wouldn't have actually shot him, even if she had gotten to her husband's gun before he got out, the scare it put into him was almost what he deserved. ::giggle::

Josh took a lot of time and effort making Grace's birthday present, but more than that he put a lot of thought into it... not just in what he should give her, but in why her father served. Men are different than women in many ways... but one way they are most different is in how they look on what their role is in the family. With modern times seeing women being just as much a provider for the family as men, one family role remains heavily male dominated... the protector. It's instinctual for men to want to protect their families, just as its instinctual for women to nurture them. Sure, there are exceptions, but as a general rule this is still the case. (there's a reason 80-95% of the military worldwide is male even though the vast majority of countries permit women freely) Josh can relate to that drive because he is a man. (well, a boy, anyway)

::huggles::
Roberta

The full quote…….

D. Eden's picture

“This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”

I was raised as the only male child of an old southern gentry family. My entire life was infused with teachings of honor and duty, and how those two things trumped all. How honor demanded that duties be fulfilled, and the greatest duty was that which I owed to those who depended on me, and on our family. The hierarchy was duty to God, duty to country, duty to family, and then duty to self.

Coming from an old Southern family, service was a way of life - service for my family meant either the church or the military, and then after the military either service in government, community, or lay service through the church.

I lost my faith in God a long time ago, but duty goes on forever. It was of course expected that I would end up at the Citadel or West Point, but I chose a different path. I did in fact receive an appointment to Annapolis, but I chose to attend USC on an NROTC scholarship. Even back then I couldn’t help but rebel against the families plan for me - something which eventually caused a huge rift as I found my true self.

I chose a new interpretation of duty. Duty to those who cannot defend themselves. I found that duty in some of the worst parts of this world - places where men think nothing of using others for personal gain, and places where men see no sin in killing others for profit. Places where fanaticism substitutes for faith.

During my time in the service, and even after leaving, I have unfortunately heard that quote too many times; too many funerals, and too many lost comrades and friends. I tried to bring them all home, but I failed. That is my burden to bear, and I will carry it with me to my grave. I try every day to be a better person, to make up for the things that I saw and did. I pay penance for my sins every waking moment, but I know that some day I will be judged, and I can only hope that when that day comes my efforts will be taken into account.

Truly, there is no greater love……….

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

huggles, hon

remember you are loved as well.

DogSig.png

The mouse that roared

Jamie Lee's picture

Boy oh boy, ain't granny a piece of work? Setting Grace up on a date with a guy Grace doesn't want. And that unwanted date hurting Josh when Grace told him about it.

Granny doesn't really care about anything but her own ideas and beliefs. Maybe in granny's time it was okay for 16-year-old girls to be married already, but times have changed, and girls that age don't marry as a general rule.

Grace's real feelings for Josh came to the surface when granny slammed his gift to Grace, feelings she'd tried to keep hidden. But the mouse roared and granny got what she should have had years ago. And Judy was none to kind to Frank, wanting to bed Grace on granny's say so.

The truth about the girls is now out in the open, with their parents. If Melanie is smart, which she isn't, she'll keep her mouth shut for once. And Fred, he needs to take off his rose colored glasses and see all the harm he and Melanie have caused.

Others have feelings too.

Been catching up a little

Podracer's picture

Also, had a something of a problem with a dry eye, which you have been helping with, Roberta.

"Reach for the sun."

Being and Air Force brat

I understand the military ethic more than most.