Gaby Book 21 ~ Summer Loving ~ Chapter *11*

Printer-friendly version
book 21 full cover big.jpg

 

*Chapter 11*
Garded Response

 

The result of the senior race was going to be less predictable, most of the women were together when they hove into view. The distinctive Apollinaris jersey's dominated the pack, I couldn't pick out Mum in the meleé but I'm sure she's there. I joined in the yelling and slapping again as they hurtled towards us, Mum broke through but she wasn't the only one making an effort.

I wasn't on the line so it was difficult to tell who got it although I think it was that Vos woman who punched the air. Of course it was a bit of a scramble of riders, fans and helpers around the finish area but before I could get anywhere near I was hailed.

“Gab!”

I span round, well you do don't you?

“Claire, what happened to you? Gret with you? Dad's been looking for you.”
“Gret's in the first aid tent, I just bent my bike little bit.”
"So what happened?” I queried again as I reached her.
"Who knows? One minute we're setting up the corner next we're skating across the road, someone took out my front wheel, it was a total mess.”
“You hurt?”
"I'll have some bruises, Gret's lost some skin though.”
“Dad'll be pleased,” I sighed.
“How'd your Mum do?”
“Dunno, they all came in together.”
"Ah, there you are,” Dad noted joining us, “you okay Claire?”
“Better than the bike, Gret's in first aid.”
“Yeah,” Dad allowed, “just come from there, lets get the rest of you sorted out, where's your bike?”
"At the bus.”
“Come on then, Gab?”
"I'm just gonna find Mum?”
“Okay.”

 

I eventually found the Weltmeisterin back at the seniors team bus already receiving Petra's ministrations on the massage table.

“Heya kiddo, how's the spectating go?”
“Okay I guess,” I allowed with a shrug, "Take it you didn't win?”
“Fourth, I'm getting a bit old for all this sprinting stuff,” she offered
“Yeah, I bet Gran could beat you, so who won?”
“Cheeky madam!”
“Can you pass that bottle of oil Gabs?” Petra interrupted.
“Er sure.”
"Its gone to a photo, Vos and Tina, who got the juniors?”
“Cav by a mile, Mand got the bunch though.”
“Good on her, so what are you guys up to now?”
“Once we collect the wounded Dad was on about going to that restaurant we used before.”
"Wounded?”
“Gret's lost some skin, big pile up.”
“Hope she's okay, you kids are going down like nine pins.”
“Not just us,” I pointed out looking at her still strapped wrist.
“Maybe we should all retire eh?”
“Like that's gonna happen.”
“You should get back to your Dad, I'll see you at home later.”
“Yeah, best not miss the bus, see you Pet.”
“Bye Gab.”
“Later Princess,” Mum added.
Ooooo!

 

“Really?” Mand giggled.
Oh what a difference a day makes.
“Ha de har,” I replied with a scowl.
“You look like a right twonk.”
“No need to rub it in, come on Sebenschuh where are you?”

Yep today its the family day up at Adenau and my All Star Cheer are doing a couple of spots which is why Mand is wearing her cheer uniform. However, if you recall I've been drafted into the Ahr Alles Stern Garde so I'm wearing the ridiculous bright pink toy soldier outfit which Mand hasn't actually seen me wearing before. Its also why we're stood outside Bond Acres waiting for Inge to pick us up instead of riding up with the rest of the gang as usual.

I think it must be a rule or something that all the Sebenschuh’s vehicles have to sound like asthmatic mopeds but they do.

“'bout time,” I muttered as the car spluttered around the corner.

 

“You'll have to sit in the middle Gab, you're smallest,” Pia told me, like I don't already know that, duh!
“Very er military,” Kat chuckled which earnt her a poked tongue.
“Everyone in?” Ingrid queried.
“Just about,” Mand supplied elbowing me in the girls as she pulled her seat belt into place.”
“Ow!”
“Give over Bond,” P, dressed similarly to me in eye watering pink, suggested.

Did I mention before that Inge hasn't long passed her test? Well we didn't have the smoothest departure from Dernau but we eventually stopped the kangaroo impersonations and started our thirty minute journey up to Adenau.

 

"See you guys later,” Ingrid suggested after we got parked in the field next to the sports field where the day's entertainments will be taking place.
“Yeah, wouldn't miss the Garde for anything,” Kat chortled.
She might be my oldest German friend but sometimes Kat Pinger can be a right what not!
"Whatever,” I mumped as I slung my bag onto my shoulder.
"Where're we s'posed to meet Han?” Mand queried.
“Outside the changing block,” Pia supplied.

 

We got a few odd looks as two pink toy soldiers and a cheerleader joined the trail of burghers heading to the sports ground. I guess it could be worse, like if I was wearing just my knickers, it'd be a close thing though. It was easy enough to find our dance colleagues, Lisse was demonstrating some cheer moves to Solde and Franny with an audience of Kris, Margot, Susan and Maria while our leader was wrestling with the boxes of poms, hats and 'guns'.

“Heya,” I allowed.
Han looked up from her boxes, "Ah good you're here.”
"Where else would we be?” P queried.
"What are you wearing?”
“Garde,” Pia supplied with a glance down.
“You're supposed to be in your cheer stuff,” Han threw her arms in the air, "Why me?”
"I am?”
“Come to think P that's why I'm doing Garde today,” I mentioned.
She palmed herself in the face, "I knew there was something about today.”

 

It took a couple of phone calls, a swapping of arena slots and a dose of Mum's driving to sort out Pia's ditzy error but sort it out we did. Just in time for Mum to catch her youngest daughter, that's me, looking a right prawn in front of the assembled citizenry. Its a good job the makeup is plastered on, I reckon my face was brighter than the stupid uniform.

But the sun was out, the watchers seemed appreciative, the only slightly disconcerting thing was the breeze which seemed intent on lifting skirts and exposing our underwear. It wasn't a competition of course but that probably helped us relax and perform our high steps, wheels and slow marching better than usual. We finished and almost skipped off the field.

"Well done girls,” Han enthused.
"So this is what you do Friday nights Gab,” Mum opined.
“Mum, I'm over here, that's Solde,” I sighed.
"I knew that.”
Solde chuckled, "Its alright Frau Bond, the whole idea is we're identical.”
"Argh! Ten Gaby's, I don't think I can stand it!”
“Muu-um,” I groaned as the others giggled.
“Just kidding Princess.”
"And less of the Princess.” I can live with a lot, pink hair, being a girl, even having a boyfriend but I draw the line at being called Princess! “don't you have somewhere to be?”
“Maria's not expecting us until three.”

Great, she'll hang around here until ten to.

 

It wasn't so bad I suppose, Mum hung around to watch the All Star's performance then actually went off to look around by herself. We on the other hand have a second performance of the Cheer team to look forward to, by mutual consent the Garde all hung about to offer support.

"There she is!”
“Heya guys,” I allowed as Steff and Con arrived with Max in tow. “how'd you know I was me?”
“Duh,” Steff noted, “unless the rest have got pink hair?”
I felt at my head, oh yeah, I took off my hat and perucke a few minutes ago.
"Where's P?” Con asked.
“Not sure, she was talking to Mand a minute ago.”
"We saw your mum,” Max advised.
“Yeah, she was here too, so what are you doing with this pair of miscreants von Strechau?”
"We found him eyeing the crepe stall,” Steff put in.

My stomach chose that second to rumble.

"Sounds like someone else fancies crepes,” Con suggested.
“You look kinda sexy in that lot,” Max told us.
“And you're weird Strechau,” Steff opined.
“Don't get any ideas,” I added.
"What about your cheer costume?”
“Don't push your luck boyo!”
“Just kidding,” he grinned, "I prefer the running kit.”
“Running kit?” Steff and Con echoed.
“Long story you don't need to know.”
“But I tell you everything,” Con pouted.

 

So of course I found myself explaining the whole running track thing while we waited for the second cheer team display.

"That dog's a nightmare,” Steff observed.
"Tell me about it,” I affirmed, “he goes for my ankles all the time.”
“Can he reach down there?” Steff snorted.
“You can go off people.”
"Its a wonder Frau Holdorf hasn't spread it all around town,” Con noted.
"The look on her face Gab,” Max smirked.
"It was quite funny,” I agreed.
"So why were you guys in the vineyard again?”
"Steff!”
"I wasn't concentrating,” she suggested in her defence.

 

Maddy Bell © 03.08.17

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos