Gaby Book 19 ~ Girl’s on Fire ~ Chapter *32* Make Out

Printer-friendly version
 Book 19 full cover.JPG
 
 
*Chapter 32*
Make Out

 

"Geez,” I allowed once we reached the function room, which of course involved a climb up to the first floor.

If last night was restrained and the ceremony earlier fairly plain they were making up for things this evening. Maybe its just the surroundings but it ‘felt’ posher just walking into the reception room, the men all in smart suits, women for the most part in ball gowns . Then the weirdness started.
As we walked in heads turned, conversations dropped to whispers and I'm pretty sure I saw several dips and bows.

"What the heck's going on?” I asked Max from the corner of my mouth.
"No idea, just keep smiling.”

Never have I been so happy to see someone as when Soph intercepted us.

"Wow, some entrance.”
"What’s going on?”
"Apart from you looking like royalty and being touted as the next Maria Callas?”
"Maria who?”
"You want a drink, Gab?” Max offered.
"Best get her something stiff,” Soph suggested.
"Usual please, Max.”

He set off in pursuit of alcohol leaving the two of us alone.

“I'm impressed, you’ve got him well trained, I might just have to steal him.”
"Er whatever, so who’s this Maria woman?”
"Oh,” Soph allowed refocussing, "Some old opera singer.”
"Opera singer?”
"You do remember the Domkirche earlier?”
"Erm.”
"You made quite an impression.”
“I didn’t mean to and like half this lot weren’t there anyhow.”
"Word gets around quickly in this town,” she grinned.
"Joy,” I sighed.

 
I was just about to request a second glass of champers when we were called to table – did I mention it’s a sit down meal this evening? Hopefully it’s a bit more than last night – I decimated my Gummi Bear supply last night. Instead of last night’s fairly casual table setting tonight it’s a more traditional arrangement of long tables.

"You aren’t going to start singing again are you?” Max asked as we waited for the soup to arrive.
“I wasn’t planning on it.”
"Good, I won’t need the earplugs then.”
"Why you!” I slapped his shoulder.
"Ow!”
"Come off it, that didn’t hurt.”
"But it’d be less fun if I let you get away with it,” he went on defensively.
"Why you!”

 
Clearly the Duke of Thun & Taxis hadn’t skimped on this evening’s soirée, we worked our way through venison consommé and poached salmon before the main course of some sort of game bird. A palate cleansing sorbet followed before the cheese and coffee rounded out the meal. A bit rich for me but who’s complaining?

Of course we had to endure the usual speech stuff, I couldn’t help thinking the Best Man’s had been written by someone else. Thankfully the talking was quite brief and the dancing ensued, not a disco of course but formal waltzes and stuff. After all that food it’s just as well it wasn’t too energetic, somehow I ended up dancing with not just Max (duh) but his father, the Duke, some big wig from the local finance Landesamte and even briefly the groom – no British royals this time though.

“I need a rest,” I suggested to Maximilian.
"You want to, er disappear for a bit?” he proposed.
"We’ll be missed.”
“I doubt it, they’re all talking politics and art stuff.”
"Or both,” I added recalling the politico that I shared a waltz with.
"Come on then,” he grabbed my hand and led me out of the ball room.

 
"Shush!” I whispered after breaking our lip lock.
"What?”
"Someone’s outside.”

We both held our breaths as the sound of voices passed beyond our hidey hole, a tiny space full of cleaning supplies and equipment. I was currently perched on a pile of boxes, legs around Max so we can get, er closer. Eventually the corridor fell silent and we returned to our tonsil hockey for a bit.

"We should get back,” I suggested.
"Suppose so,” Max sighed before starting in on my neck.

To be honest stopping wasn’t what I wanted to do but some of the signals my brain was receiving were getting a bit worrying. Various girly bits were by now highly sensitive and craving attention which a) felt ‘wrong’ and b) I couldn’t service given my current mode of dress – well not easily! No, the best thing is to stop before things get out of hand.

"Down, Rover, we’ll be missed.”
"Who cares?”

Who indeed?

"Max, stop it,” I half heartedly mentioned as I felt something mounting.
Much to my body’s frustration the lummox chose that moment to follow instruction – grrr!

 
“There you are,” Soph announced, "Where’ve you been?”
"Around,” I suggested as I reapplied lippy to replace that kissed off by Max.
“I've been looking for you for ages,” she accused.
“I er needed a break, you know dancing in these,” I flicked out a stiletto shod foot.
"You should’ve worn flats,” she opined checking her own face in the gilded mirror of the ladies room.
"Er short arse,” I pointed out.
"Wouldn’t bother me.”
“I prefer not to get a crick in my neck dancing with your brother in law.”
"He is quite tall,” she agreed.
"You done?” I suggested gathering up my bag.
"Not quite.”

And before I knew what was happening she was doing her best to remove my just reapplied lip paint.

"Mmm!”

Okay, my experience with her at New Year should’ve given me some idea but this all out assault took me by surprise.

 
"You took your time,” Max stated.
"Er yeah.”
"Hi, Max,” Sophia beamed.

Max raised a brow, very James Bond, I mouthed ‘later’ back. I slipped an arm through Max’s and let myself be led back to the bun fight.

 
"So what was that all about earlier?” Max asked as we waited for his rents to join us for the taxi journey back to our beds.
"What?”
"Sophia,” he nudged.
"Er that,” what do I say, what do I feel about it? “I think she’d had a bit much to drink.”
"Must run in the family,” he hinted at the reason for our being in the capital of Baden Württemberg.

Well based on this evening I don’t think there’ll be a second shotgun wedding in the Taxis household, in fact I doubt there’ll even be a second wedding.

“I don’t think it’ll result in a repeat visit,” I suggested.
"Why not?” then I saw his expression change as the cogs fully engaged. "Oh, she likes girls. You and she?”
"One way attraction, she’s a crap kisser!”
"You make notes?”

Do I? Well I must admit my experience is quite limited, okay, very limited but there’s no doubt that Soph comes bottom of the table. Now Max and Toni, well I really need to do more research but does that mean I like boys, I thought I liked girls but clearly not in the same way. Soph was quite, er thorough, but I didn’t feel any of the same things I had with Max, I was glad to be ‘rescued’ by someone else coming into the rest room.

"No, course not.”
"Sounds interesting?” Gloria suggested as the senior members of the von Strechau household finally joined us.
"Just comparing dance partners,” Max filled.
"Ah yes, the conflict of every wedding.”

 
I slept the sleep of the dead, a combination of a long day, good food and not a little alcohol. Not that I was drunk or anything, merry maybe, but it all took a toll.

"Morning,” I offered finding Max and his dad in the breakfast room.
"Morning, Gab,” Max grinned.
"Gloria?” Wilhelm enquired.
"On her way,” I confirmed, taking a seat.
"Juice?” Max offered.
"Er please.”

Max set off, whilst I set about preparing myself to break fast.

"So, Gaby, you enjoy yourself?” Wilhelm asked.
"You mean apart from making myself look like an idiot in the church?”
"You didn’t make the idiot, far from it.”
"Well apart from that, it’s been er interesting.”
"Here you go,” Max enthusiastically plonked my juice down, "So you coming back with me and Dad?”
"Sorry?”
"Gran prefers the Cayenne over Dad’s Mercedes.”
“Right?”
"You can go back with Gloria and my mother if you like,” Wilhelm offered.
"Or come in the granny wagon,” Gloria added joining the table, "We do have to go back via Rothenburg to collect the rest of her luggage.”

Choices, choices

"Er perhaps I should go back with Max? I really should go training when I get home.”
"Don’t blame you,” she admitted.

 
I managed a decent breakfast, well it would be rude not to wouldn’t it? There wasn’t any great hurry, we’ve got all day really but our two cars pulled out of the hotel car park just turned nine.

My phone beeped with a new message, ‘? was y2d? C’.

Con, I felt a twinge of guilt as I looked out at the streets of Stuttgart beyond the windows. Maybe I should’ve cancelled, not come down here enjoying myself, eating, drinking – getting into mischief.

"Everything alright?” Max enquired.
"Er yeah, just Con.”

I tapped at the phones keys, ‘grt c u ltr’. I hit send, yeah, I'll pop round to the Thesing’s after training.
 
Maddy Bell © 04.04.17

up
231 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Text talk

I must be getting old and out of the loop. What does "? was y2d?" translate to?

Really enjoying the story, even after all this time. Keep up the wonderful work!

Jorey
.

pretty simple

Maddy Bell's picture

Your two days

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

? was y2d. C

"? was y2d?. C"

This got me some time to process. hahaha.

I bet there will be an article in the news again soon.. about a singer.

Thank you Maddy.

Avoiding Gran

Jamie Lee's picture

Gaby doesn't always make the best choices, but this time she made a wise choice. Staying from Gran is always a wise choice, keeping her at bay so she can't continue getting her claws into Gaby.

Others have feelings too.

Old opera singer

*snerk* More like a dead opera singer. Unless she was zombified. >:->
Hmm, if Sophia marries a girl then there'll be another wedding.
And let's not forget Gaby and Max. :-p Because it looks like one wedding is complete and the next is brewing, if the snog fest is anything to go by.

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Dead Opera Singer

SuziAuchentiber's picture

she may be, but Maria Callas had the voice of an angel and was adored by millions.
Listen to her sing Puccini's aria Oh Mio Babbina Cara and try not to cry. The beauty and emotion of her voice is one of the most beutiful things you will ever hear She was only 53 when she died of a heart attack and she is still considered one of the greatest opera singers of all time.
I am sure Gaby's voice is wonderful but she is not being compared to "an old opera singer" but to the greatest of all time. Me? I warble like a drunken Canada Goose - can't have everything!
Hugs & Kudos!

Suzi