Change Order - Chapter 8 of 8

Printer-friendly version

Mike was asked to cover a shift by a knowing friend on their birthday. Because the scheduling boss made an incorrect assumption, he ended up being something he could only dream of.

By
Becky Reus
Proofread By Jamie M
©2019

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Chapter Eight

I slumped in my room not knowing what to do, I wasn’t sure how long I had been slumping there when Heather found me there with my door wide opened. She asked me “Laura you ok?”

I just silently handed her the note. She said after reading the note, “I will get whoever did this fired!” She picked up her phone and called someone, “Jennifer, come and get your girlfriend, she got an evil note and is laying on her floor.”

Before we could blink, Jennifer and Jill walked in the room, almost as they ran across the dorm. Jennifer picked me up, while Jill asked for the note. I was soon being escorted to Jennifer’s room by her mother, while Jennifer stayed behind in my room for something.

That night I was never left out of sight by Jennifer and her parents. They took me off property for dinner, and then Jennifer helped me change in a nightie.

The next day, after sleeping in Jenn’s bed, I felt much better. I was wearing my best dress for the meeting at the main office. They had sent a van for the four of us, Jenn, Heather, Val, and myself. Soon we were being escorted in a conference room, where we found four managers, and Jill waiting. My mother’s face was beaming at us on a large TV.

Taking our seat, the Lady that I had been previously told was a VP, addressed us. “Welcome everyone to this meeting about Laura. I am Rebecca Folks, VP of Staffing and Characters for Walt Disney World. Also in attendance we have, Mark Gains, Epcot Staffing manager; Kayleigh Myers, Epcot Character Manager; Tina Van Eck, Walt Disney World Human Resources Manager; Laura Smith, Character; Jennifer Anderson, Character; Valerie Jones, currently injured Character; Heather Lockhart, Character Attendant; Jill Anderson, Requested Legal Representative for Laura; and joining us on the TV is Karen Smith, Laura’s Mother.

I would like everyone to know this meeting is being recorded. I will also like to stress that this meeting is non-punitive in nature.

I would like to record some facts about this meeting on the recorder before we get started.

Last Friday, the 12th, Laura who is employed as Mike Smith was working for Jennifer. At the time Laura was not fully approved for a face character. Valerie broke her ankle that very morning, requiring us to replace her as Alice at the last minute.

Mark seeing Laura’s partial approval as Alice. and not knowing Laura’s true gender, accidentally placed Laura as Alice. Laura did excellent as Alice, and you couldn’t tell that ... one she wasn’t born as Laura or … two she didn’t have the proper audition or training.

Another fact that has been pointed out to me is Jennifer and Laura are dating. Also Heather and Laura are neighbors. With those facts, let’s get started with this meeting.”

Jill interrupted, “before we get started, I would like to present some evidence which may play in this meeting,” handing two notes over to Rebecca.

“Let the evidence be noted that Jill has just handed me two notes. The first one says ‘Tinkerbell would be more appropriate. You Fairy’” Rebecca said in an angry tone. She continued, “The second note says, ‘Mother Gothel would be more appropriate because you are ugly. They both appear to be the same handwriting.’”

The HR person said, “Let us deal with those notes before we deal with this meeting. Where were these notes found?”

“The first one found taped to my door after I heard a knock during my shower after work yesterday. I have no knowledge of the second note,” I told the assembled people. Glancing at my mother, she looked like she was going to kill someone.

“I want whoever put that note on my daughter’s door gone!” My mother said

Rebecca spoke slow, “rest assured Mrs. Smith, if we figure out who did both notes, they will be fired.” Looking at Jill she asked, “What about the second one?”

“That one was found taped to my door after we got home from shopping yesterday,” Jennifer said.

Rebecca questioned, “You all live in the dorm?”

All four of us nodded our heads, so Rebecca continued, “Let it be shown that I got four nods. Tina are there cameras in the dorm hallways?” Getting an affirmative, she continued, “When were these notes received?”

“After work for mine, but yesterday is a blur to me,” I answered.

Heather spoke up, “we got back from work at about five-thirty yesterday. I happen to work with her yesterday.”

“Had to be about the same time for mine. We barely had been home long when we got a phone call from Heather that Laura was a lump on the floor,” Jennifer mentioned.

“Great, Tina please have security check the dorm cameras after five thirty, and get back to me with who visited Laura’s and Jennifer’s doors. Now let’s start with the real reason for this meeting, Laura’s status at work.” Rebecca started, the way she said it caused a lump in my throat until I remembered she had said this was not a punishment meeting. She continued “Not to say that Jennifer’s or Valerie’s Alice is bad, but Laura your Alice is excellent, one of the top ten since Kayleigh started working here.” I breathed a sigh of relief as the V.P. continued, “We would like to keep using you occasionally as Alice. Your trans nature creates a small hiccup, but that can be overlooked. If you were guaranteed employment, and support, which persona of you would you choose.”

I looked at my mother and got a nod in reply. I then looked at my girlfriend, and also got a nod, so I said: “I would like to be Laura.”

“So be it, Kayleigh please treat your underlying as Laura. Mark, please see that Laura is on the schedule. HR please do the paperwork, and see that Laura gets the needed counseling,” Rebecca said.

I exclaimed in shock, “That is it?”

“Not exactly, you need a support structure. Heather, Valerie will you be Laura’s supporting group, along with Jennifer?”

My two coworkers answered affirmation to the question, so Rebecca continued, “HR will you see that Laura gets her dollar an hour raise for being a face character retroactive to when she was signature approved. Laura will also need her five cents per character raise for both Van and Alice. While you are at it, make sure that she … Jennifer and Valerie are getting one for every character they can do. Laura will also need a one time reward for doing Alice while she was presenting male, saving us from canceling Alice for the day.”

Getting an affirmation to that, Rebecca continued, “we would like to train Laura and Jennifer if she isn’t trained as Wendy,” and then looking at the note and me nervously, “Tinkerbell, and since I am told Laura has an excellent voice for it, the rare character, Silvermist.”

I told the gathered masses, “I don’t mind that,”

Jennifer expressed that she was already Wendy trained but none of the fairies. Rebecca expressed “That concludes the Laura part of this meeting, anyone have any questions?”

My mother spoke, “I don’t have a question, but I would like to express to Laura that I will support her wherever her journey takes us.”

“Since there are no further questions, we will turn to the Valerie part of this meeting. This will be quick and is also non-punitive. Valerie do you want people to leave or not.” Rebecca asked.

She obviously had a lump in her throat as she said, “As long as it is not a punishment, they can stay.”

The VP continued, “Very well, Valerie you have your choice of four departments to transfer to until your ankle heels, Food Service, Ticketing, Retail, or Wardrobe.”

After thinking about it long, Valerie said: “Ticketing please.”

“Very well, Tina can you transfer her to Ticketing with no cut in pay, making sure the correct manager knows that she can do her duties sitting in accordance with the Doctor’s note.” Getting an affirmation, Rebecca continued, “that concludes this meeting.”

I was still in shock realization that two weeks ago Laura was far back in the closet, and suddenly I was full time at work as Laura with a girlfriend, and two friends that are girls.

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Author's Note:
This is the end of Change Order Book 1. I plan for Laura and Jennifer's story to continue after I finish writing the story. A prequel and sequel are planned, and I have maybe one third of the prequel written.

Next week on Friday will be the first of six chapters of an unrelated story. Hopefully by the time that is posted I will be done with the prequel.

Comments and questions are always welcomed -- Thanks Becky

up
231 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Change order changed indeed.

Beoca's picture

Initially, I thought that this would be a fun little day-before-Katie-Ann story. It’s developed and grown into something very interesting. Great job making that happen, Becky. Looking forward to what comes next - be it the story coming next, the prequel/sequel to this, or (obviously) Katie Ann.

Yay!

WillowD's picture

Prequel. Yay! Sequel. Yay! Another unrelated story. Yay!

It was nice to read this story again.

WillowD's picture

No prequel or sequel yet but I will pray to the author gods that the muse will a few more stories. I like this story. Thank you.

Homage to the author gods

WillowD's picture

Still no prequel and sequel but, hey, it's been less than 2 years. You never know. The muse may yet strike again. Thank you so much for writing this story.

Meanwhile there are still lots of awesome stories being published here, as well as awesome stories I haven't found yet.

Muse has taken a break...

Muse has taken a break, trying to finish Katie Anne first

Thank you, Becky

What a fun story. Can't wait for the prequel.

Janice

thank you

thank you for the story, and for taking the time to open the window into your mind and sharing a little bit of yourself.
i know i'll be looking forward to the prequel, sequel and whatever the unrelated story is

Sweet Story...

I came out in late 2004, and it was a painful, awful time where, as many of us do, I lost every friend, family and everything I valued. This is a fairly typical experience of that day.

I hope that at least some of this is reality.

Gwen

Triangle

Wow this story is really wonderful :). Laura seems to come thru a granted unexpected and circular path, it makes for enjoyable reading. Thou the support structure seems to be abit overly supportive, her mom I can understand; corp America is usually not accommodating.

.

But this is Disney we are talking about,not the average corporate world

Straight to the point

Jamie Lee's picture

Rebecca was all business during that meeting, though she didn't give off the "I don't care about you" vibe as some might have.

She could have fired Mike on the spot for portraying a character he wasn't authorized to be. But she acknowledged the mistake was the company's, and gave him a bonus for stepping in and being Alice.

People who attend the Dinsey parks may not realize it, but they expect to see the Disney characters. And if one character has to be cancelled it could cause some to get a bad impression of Disney. They are a corporation, one based in the entertainment world, and know perceptions are their life blood. So it was Mike who pulled their fat out of the fire by doing as he was assigned.

Pity the person who left those notes, they are about to get their kick in the pants out the door. And if Disney or Laura chose, file legal charges for discrimination. What that person didn't think about was the referrals they might need for the next job they apply for. They will have to put Disney down as their previous job, or if they leave Disney off, and it's found out they lied, they'll lose another job.

It will be good to see a sequel to this story, we need to find out who left the notes and why.

Others have feelings too.