Change Order - Chapter 6 of 8

Printer-friendly version

Mike was asked to cover a shift by a knowing friend on their birthday. Because the scheduling boss made an incorrect assumption, he ended up being something he could only dream of.

By
Becky Reus
Proofread By Jamie M
©2019

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Chapter Six

“Alice you will do great,” Heather told me with a huge smile as she looked at her watch. Meanwhile I was mumbling to myself, “Stay in character… Stay in character… Don’t do a protein spill… Stay in character…” We walked around the pavilion to where the garden was, to find a long line of fans ready to meet me. I noticed, as I walked past them, that a certain birthday girl was in the middle of the line. I resisted the huge urge to greet her.

Going to the two young twin girls in the front of the line I said, “Will you join me at my unbirthday tea party, girls?” leading them in front of my photographer. After interacting with them, and signing their books, I posed for pictures with them.

As I was getting the next family, I noticed Kayleigh with another manager standing nearby, and watching me. I decided not to sweat it, because if they had an issue they would let Heather know. Since they were ignoring Heather it meant they currently did not have an issue. Besides, my nerves were making me sweat enough without the stress of the managers.

I was asked about the Mad Hatter by the next family. I told them that they were having tea with the March Hare. Slowly I progressed through the line, interact, sign, pose, repeat, rinse, repeat.

“Will you please join me over here young lady,” I told Jennifer. “I see it is your birthday, it is only my unbirthday today here.” I continued looking at her birthday button. Since it has her name on it, I could call her by name if I wanted to.

Movement out of the corner of my eye caught my attention a second. It was the managers moving so they could see us better, and hear us. They had gained another manager sometime since I last looked at them. I turned my attention quickly back to Jennifer.

Jennifer respond with a big smile, “Thank you Alice, Yes it is my birthday.”

“How old are you, Jennifer?” I asked as I signed Jennifer’s book. I already knew she was turning nineteen today, but Alice didn’t know that.

She told me quietly, “Nineteen.”

I lead the crowd in singing happy birthday to my girlfriend. By the time we were in the posing portion of the interaction, her face was fire engine red with embarrassment. I took great pleasure in that redness, but only internally.

After sending her on the way, I meet the young family with a young girl and even smaller boy. Since the girl also had a birthday button, I again had the crowd joining me in singing happy birthday.

Soon Heather was addressing the crowd, “Alice has a crochet date with the red queen, she will be back in about thirty minutes.”

“Yes, we can’t be late. I like my head exactly where it is.” I said as I followed Heather off stage. I noticed, behind me, the Photopass photographer was speaking with the managers. Once the whole group was off stage I turned to the managers, and said “Ok how bad did I do?”

Kayleigh tutted, and said “Laura, you don’t give yourself enough credit. You did excellent today, young lady.”

“I enjoy the fact you lead the crowd with happy birthday,” the manager whose name tag said ‘Mark’ on it.

Blushing, I said after drinking some water, “I only did that to embarrass Jennifer for putting me in this situation. I figured if I did it to one, I should do it to all.”

“Do you work tomorrow, and Sunday?” Mark asked.

Not sure how this questioning was going, I hesitated to answer, “No I have tomorrow off, Sunday I do work as Minnie.”

“Figure on being Alice again Sunday, I will figure out what I am doing about Alice tomorrow. Valerie will be changing departments for a while,” Mark answered as he left the break room. Kayleigh stayed behind, but the other manager left with Mark.

I said out loud but to no one in particular, “I am glad I never did a bet with Jennifer. I repeatedly told her I would never be Alice.”

“Laura, you had excellent interactions with the guests today. Remember to drink plenty of water, and eat some light nourishment on your breaks. Keep it up for the remainder of your shift.” Kayleigh told me bringing me back to the subject on hand.

I remembered something, “Kayleigh, where are my clothes? I can’t exactly wear these home.”

“I will bring them here later in the day.” She told me.

After she left, I ran to the bathroom to partake in the easiest weight loss plan. The last half hour really had not been that bad, but my nerves disagreed with that statement. Once I was back in the room, I turned to Heather, “Penny for your thoughts.”

“If I didn’t know you were my neighbor, I would of assumed you were a new hire I had never met before. You are also way too hard on yourself, there was no reason for that bathroom visit, young lady. How long have you been out and about as Laura?” Heather asked.

Smirking, I said, “About the bathroom visit, you know that, I know that, tell my nerves that. On how long, it has only been one and half weeks since Jennifer dragged me out of the room.”

“Wow, you would never know that, Laura.” Looking at her watch she continued, “You better fix your makeup, it is almost time to meet your adoring fans again. I hope you feel better this time too”

After I fixed my lips with the makeup the artist had given me, I followed Heather towards the stage to start another twenty to thirty minutes of interactions. I felt much better this time, my jitters of being read, or messing up the character were going away. True, they were still there, but not as strong.

Going to the young newly weds at the front of the line, I invited them to interact with me. Again it was interaction, sign, pose, send them on their way.

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

During the course of the day, I swear every manager in Florida, and maybe some from California, had walked by me. Most of them stopped for a few minutes to listen to me. True you do see them in the park from time to time, but this was a highly unusual amount of them. Almost as if they were judging me, which I am sure they were. Since they always ignored Heather, they must of liked what they saw.

I had just sent a family on their way when I heard Heather say, “It is time for Alice to join the Mad Hatter at his unbirthday tea. She will be back in about thirty minutes.”

Walking into the break room for the second to last time today, I realize I better get Jennifer a birthday present. She had let me know earlier that her and her parents were expecting me at Magic Kingdom entrance at seven thirty. That gave me two hours to get cleaned up after work and get there. What it didn’t give me was shopping time.

I slumped in my seat, which caused Heather to comment. “Today hasn’t been that bad Laura. You have been a great Alice, almost like you been doing it for years.”

“It isn’t that, today is my girlfriend’s birthday. I haven’t had a chance to go shopping for a present for her. I was notified that I have to join them at M.K. at seven thirty. I don’t have shopping time.” I told my attendant.

“What do you want to get her?” Heather asked.

I answered her, “There is a small glass figure of Alice in Germany, but I am not exactly dressed for shopping.” I described it to Heather.

She looked at the clock, “you have the cash?”

“Yes, why?” I asked.

“I will gladly buy it for you,” she said holding her hand out for the money, after she switched out of her uniform shirt. Finding my wallet in my pants, I handed her six twenty dollar bills. As she was leaving the room she told me “be ready to go on stage at four forty five, with or without me, preferably with.”

Looking at the time, that gave her twenty five minutes to get to Germany from U.K. and back. With the crowds that may be tight. Shrugging, I returned to my drink before I was distracted by the door opening. “You back already, Heather?” I asked.

“No it is Valerie, you must be the mysterious Laura I am told is working for me.” Val said walking in with her left leg on a knee walker.

“Yes I am Laura. I was supposed to be working for Jenn, and staffing accidentally put me as Alice to replace you.” I told my coworker.

“Where is your attendant? Why do you say accidentally?” She questioned.

I told her that Heather was out shopping for me, and explained that I wasn’t approved to be the character, just do the signature.

She looked at me, and said “Wasn’t Jennifer’s boyfriend Mike supposed to work for her today?”

“Nice to meet you, Val. I am Laura, who you know as Mike.” I told my injured coworker while sighing. I mumble to myself, “Like it or not, I am so out of the closet.”

Meanwhile, Val jaw was on the ground, just staring at me. Thankful Heather walked into the room at that moment, and handed me an expertly wrapped pink present, and my change.

“Time to repair your makeup Alice. Oh hello Val, how is the ankle?” Heather told us.

As I repair my makeup, Valerie explained that it may never be the same. I was soon following Heather on stage. When I got there, I greeted the boy in front of the line, asking if it was his Unbirthday. The two us sang an non chart topping version of the Unbirthday song. When that was done, since he didn’t want my autograph, I just posed for pictures.

I interacted with a few more guests before I turned to get the next guest to find Val next in line. “Can you please join me over here. Curiouser and curiouser, what did you do?”

She meekly told me she broke her ankle, and then asked me to sign her cast. That task done, I posed for a picture, and then finish my last few guests before going behind stage for the last time today.

Back in the break room I went to the changing area and regrettably removed the dress and other items that go with the costume, after Heather had undone my buttons.

Back in my drabs, I went to the sink, and removed the wig and scrubbed my face clean. After about fifteen minutes when my face was clean, I joined Heather on a golf cart to Wardrobe area, making sure to take Jennifer’s present with me.

As I walked into the Wardrobe area to drop the dress off, I noticed two guys talking off to the side. According to their uniforms they were working in the American Pavilion today. The one guy who looked strangely familiar, suddenly walked off mumbling to himself after noticing me. The fact he abruptly left, caused the other guy to look confused. Shaking my head, and not knowing if that was anyway connected to me, I got in the line.

Walking past Kayleigh’s office after dropping the dress off, I was called in the office. I walked in to find Heather, Mark from Staffing, some unnamed lady and of course Kayleigh in the office. After closing the door like I was requested, the unnamed lady spoke, “Laura, if I may call you that, you had an excellent, but unconventional, Alice audition today. I understand Laura is scheduled for Alice on Sunday, that is fine. Expect a meeting Monday about today. I expect everyone in this room there too. Mark please schedule Jennifer and Valerie at this meeting too. Laura I would also recommend having a parent there, video conference is ok. Kayleigh please approve Laura in the system as Alice, too. Talk to you all on Monday.” With her bit said she walked out without an statement.

As the gathered people slowly left, I asked my boss, “who in the world was that?”

“Rebecca Folks, Vice President of Staffing and Characters. When she says jump, you ask how high,” Kayleigh told me, before quizzing me on the pink present in my hand.

When I explained that it was a present for my girlfriend, she asked how I was able to get it. She accepted my explanation of Heather buying for me. Since time was short I ran to the staff bus, to run home to become Laura again.

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Author's Note:Comments and questions are always welcomed -- Thanks Becky

up
238 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

curious and more twists to

curious and more twists to the plots.

I must say i really did enjoy this story a lot. in fact you could say you have got me to get this a few months ago and finally got around to wearing it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/sissysamantharebecca/47767920092 (sorry for the link in your story comments.)

i wonder how she dresses up for the meal.

yours loving

samantha rebecca clarkson (your sweet sister from the uk.)

Giggling now.

WillowD's picture

That was a very good day.

Looking forward to Chapter 7!

Beoca's picture

This story remains a fun one to follow. Hopefully Mike gets out of this current situation without too much further issue.

What a sweet story!

Monique S's picture

I am enjoying it much! Thank you,
Monique.

Monique S

No kidding

People always remember your failures more than they remember your successes.

Human nature at its worst.

For good manglers, they do try to balance.

Name being known

I figure the less people that know my name at work the better I am.

As for Laura, she isn't sure what the meeting with the bigwig is about, but she assumes it is herself. She isn't sure that is a good thing or not.

The balance

Yes and no.

It is imho a good balance to have a just good enough reputation to be a ‘solid employee’ and not be a ‘star’ (which means they will pile work on you) or be substandard (risking being laid off in bad times) Therein lies how one may get a good work/life balance.

Known Employee

In my job at my industry ... you can be their best employee one day and fired the next. That isn’t just at my employer, it is every employer in the industry. Federal law plans a little bit in that, and industry policies is the other bit that plays in that.

That is without corporate knowledge of you... if you are known by corporate it isn’t usually good and they want to make you go away.

Blindsided?

Jamie Lee's picture

First staffing gets his gender wrong and assigns female characters. Then every head honcho comes sniffing while he's Alice. Then he gets called into Kayleigh's office without a word why and the chief herself fires off orders without a by your leave.

Is he about to get the boot because he followed screwed up orders or offered to continue being employed only if Laura comes to work?

Others have feelings too.