Change Order - Chapter 5 of 8

Printer-friendly version

Mike was asked to cover a shift by a knowing friend on their birthday. Because the scheduling boss made an incorrect assumption, he ended up being something he could only dream of.

By
Becky Reus
Proofread By Jamie M
©2019

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Chapter Five

“Mike, you will need this,” Kayleigh told me as I walked past her. Receiving the change order from her, I thanked her for it before headed to Wardrobe.

I told the Wardrobe lady, “Smith working for Anderson, here is the Change Order.” She told me one second before returning with a dress bag, and duffel bag. I questioned it because it didn’t look like any fur outfit I was used to in my six months here.

“You are not a fur today. Staffing changed you… looks like it was an emergency change made an hour ago.” I was told, and she basically let me know the discussion was over with. I was afraid to look in the dress bag. I just assumed the dress was probably blue in color. I dragged both bags to Kayleigh’s office, and closed the door behind me.

“Kayleigh, we have a problem.” I told my boss slumping on the couch in the room.

Kayleigh looked at me, confused, “Problem, Mike?”

“You might be calling me Laura, because staffing decided I am going to be whatever is in this bag.” I told her pointing to the dress bag as if it was a wretched item.

Kayleigh went to the dress bag, and opened it up. She revealed the Alice dress, just what I was afraid it would be. She didn’t say anything, just went to the phone.

“Mark, it is Kayleigh in Epcot Character. We have a staffing issue.

We had an active change order for M Smith to do Vanellope for J Anderson.

Yep, I am aware you changed it to Alice, and there lies the problem.

The problem is that M Smith is technically male.

They were never approved for the character, just the signature. That signature approval was Jennifer being silly … J is Jennifer.

Let me get this straight, Valerie broke her ankle this morning tripping in the shower. Mike was the only one who was scheduled who could do Alice’s signature?

Before you do the cancellation of Alice today, let me talk to someone and call you back.

Talk to you in a few minutes.”

Taking a deep breath, she looked at me. “Laura, can you please save us today? We will make it worth your time, if you will become Alice today.”

“I am not against it, but I don’t know the makeup, the interactions, and I will stick out like a sore thumb.” I told my boss.

She told me, “We will worry about the makeup. I disagree about the sticking out, I’ve seen you two girls out and about; you two almost look like twins. Do you know the movie, Laura?” When I nodded, she continued, “This will require me to out you to staffing.”

After I gave my approval, she turned to the phone to get approval for the plan. I meanwhile was texting Jennifer. “Thanks to you, it looks like I will be Alice today.”

Kayleigh was talking on the phone, “Mark, I may have the answer to our problems.

We don’t change anything. Mike is also Laura, since they are Trans, and has the perfect Alice voice.

I understand it is unusual, but Laura would not look out of place as Alice. I have seen her out and about as a female before, shopping at Springs.

She agreed to do it, our biggest issue will be her first time nerves as Alice.

I will work on getting her ready.”

As Kayleigh was hanging up the phone, my phone dinged to let me know Jenn had replied, “I swear I am innocent, Sweetie. I didn’t set that up! I was supposed to be Van last I looked.”

I explained to my girlfriend that Val broke her ankle this morning. The only one on the schedule who could do Alice's signature was an M Smith. I continued by telling her that it was either cancel Alice or Laura makes her face debut. I continued by wishing Jennifer a happy birthday.

“Sandra can you send Alice’s attendant to my office please?” I heard Kayleigh say on the phone.

Soon there was a knock on the door, and Kayleigh welcomed my next door neighbor, Heather in. She greeted me, before turning her attention to Kayleigh, “Sandra said you wanted to see me?”

“Yes, Heather. I would like you to meet Laura, she is going to be Alice today. It is going to a trial by fire for her today. She has never been a face character before, but it was either do the unorthodox thing throwing her to the wolves or cancel Alice today,” Kayleigh told my attendant.

Heather was looking around for the mystery third person in the room, while I was blushing up. “Call me confused but I just see you and Mike, when do I meet this Laura.” She told us.

Before my boss could talk, I said, “Heather, I am Laura.”

“I seen a female leave your room a few times with and without Jenn, this explains a lot,” Heather replied softly and without much shock.

Kayleigh’s phone rang, and she quickly listened and hung it up. “Girls, Makeup is expecting us. Can you help Laura with her bags, Heather?”

In the makeup room, before I could blink, I was shoved towards the changing room with the outfit clothes. Behind the safety of the changing curtain, I stripped down to just my dance pants that I was already wearing because I was expecting to be an female fur.

Using the chair in the room, I expertly pulled the opaque white tights on, before strapping the shoes on. It felt weird becoming Laura, scratch that, Alice without a bra or forms, but none was provided, and the character didn’t need it. I dropped a full petticoat over my head. After shaking hips to allow it to settle, I next dropped the baby blue dress over my head. After slipping my arms in the sleeves, I worked on figuring out the pinafore. Once it was on, I looked in the mirror. That was definitely a view that I didn’t think I would ever see. At least not at work. I half expected that Jenn would probably force me to dress as Alice come Halloween, though.

Walking out of the room, I changed to the character voice before turning around so Heather could do up my buttons, and tie my sash. Soon I was sitting down in the chair the makeup artist was motioning to.

She did my subtle makeup before fasten the wig on my head. She handed me some blue lens to put in my eyes, which I eventually put did after a few tries. Looking in the mirror, I determined that I definitely wasn’t going to make a mockery of the character.

Heather was soon directing me towards a waiting golf cart to take us to the U.K. Pavilion. Still using the Alice voice, I said “Here goes nothing,” as we headed to on stage.

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Author's Note:Comments and questions are always welcomed -- Thanks Becky

up
244 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Out of this comes opportunity.

Beoca's picture

It's clear why the SNAFU happened. Now, it's time to make it turn out to not be a SNAFU at all (at least to the guests).

Laura

Right now Laura is probably basket of nerves and trying to keep her breakfast down.

Woo hoo!

WillowD's picture

And now I am SO looking forward to chapter 6.

No title

Smiles

Repeat after me:

Podracer's picture

Stay in Character - Stay in Character - Stay in Character .
This is Laura's armoured protection for the day. As soon as she meets her first guest we will know how the day is to be.

"Reach for the sun."

First Guest

If a certain birthday girl had her way, her first guest would be her.

Can't stand the suspense

Becky your killing me girl. The anticipation of waiting for the next chapter is driving me crazy.
Love this story thanks so much for writing it.

Suspense

Story will be continued at the same bat time on Friday. Sorry my editor’s and my own work schedules won’t allow more.

A Real Life Test

of the first order. Definitely enjoying the story.

My go-to Story

Becky, I hope you did not take my comment negatively it was not meant to be. This story is one of a very few stories that I enjoy to read and reread, I am really in aw of your talent in creating this story.

Comment

Nope I didn't take it negative

Laura can do Alice, however...

Jamie Lee's picture

After Jennifer saw Laura, and how she was accepted as another woman when they went out, she knew Laura could be Alice or another female face.

Kay seeing Laura out with Jennifer made her believe also when Mike was outed as Lause in her office. Had Kay not have been convinced she wouldn't have given Mike as a replacement for Alice.

Mike's courage being out as Laura is greater now than before going out with Jenn. But will take courage transfer to portraying Alice. And that isn't even the question that should be on Kay's, Mike's, or Jenn's minds, but what is casting going to do now that they know a guy is Alice for this tour? They'd be crazy not to have someone observe Laura throughout her shift, to make sure she stays in character, but to see how Mike as Alice is received and whether he should be allowed to continue as female face characters or only furs.

They may be totally surprised when they can't tell the difference between a GG woman doing Alice and Laura. Laura might have just become something more to casting.

Others have feelings too.

Late reply

I know this is a late reply, but Mark and Kayleigh did notify their superiors and casting that this happened. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during that phone call.