Amber pt 18 ***** A Kymmie verse Story*****

Printer-friendly version


Amber part 18

We had just passed 14 mile and coming up on Northwestern Hwy. It looked like an accident scene. A huge Dodge truck had just creamed a car which was on its side. As we got closer. Greg called 911 and got emergency services coming. As soon as I could see the car. I knew exactly what it was and whose it was. It was Brook and Kelsey's Crown vic.

“ OH, GOD,” I just about screamed. “ That's Kelsey.” As soon as Greg got the car stopped. I was out the door. “ Grab my bag.” I keep an emergency medical bag the back of all our vehicles, as you never know when you will need and now I need it for my girls.

I ran to the Crown Victoria. Getting in the back window as far as I could. All 4 of them were still I their racing harness. I could hear crying. It was both Whitley and Riley.

“ Girls, It's Grandma are you alright?”

“ No, My leg and arm hurts, I hear Whitley cry.

“Grandma, my head and arm hurts.” Riley said.

“OK, girls you need to listen to me.” I instructed “ I know it hurts. Now you have to be big girls and stay where you are. We will get you out soon.” I am able to get in far enough to see them. Whitley's left leg is at an odd angle.

“ OK, grandma.” I hear both say.

“ Huh, what happened. “ I hear Brook from the front seat.

Greg dropped my bag just behind the car. I began to hear sirens. The first ones sound like police, then two others came audible. Must be fire and EMT. I head to the front of the car.

“ Brook, It's Mom. You had an accident. Are you alright?”

“My leg seems trapped and I have a pain in my stomach. What about Kelsey?”

“ She is unconscious.” I reach and feel her. I check her choroid pulse. It is slightly weak but there and she is breathing. “She will be alright too.”

I look at Brook. It seems like her right leg is in between the seat and the door. The shifter from the car is pressing into her left side.

Just then a cop car pulls up from the south. Another comes the wrong way on the west bound northwestern hwy. Both the cops jump out and run up to the car.

“ Ma'am, I need you to get out of the car. The EMTs will be here shortly.” One cop said.

“ I am a Dr. and this is actually my daughter and her family.”

“ I'm sorry ma'am.” He continued. “ Did you say you where a physician.”
“ Yes, I am Dr Amber Reid. Now leave me be to take care of my patients.”

Brook had some cuts and was bleeding quite a bit. Kelsey had a good size gash on her forehead. I was able to stop both of their bleeding. I didn't like the way that shifter was jammed into Brook's side.

Two ambulances showed up. Both of the crews, rushed up to the scene. One of the EMTs recognized me.

“ Dr. Reid funny finding you here.” He joked to lighten the mood.

“ This is my daughter and her family. My daughter is unconscious. Pulse is slightly week, She seems a little labored in her breathing. Possibly rib fractures. Start an IV on her. My daughter in law may have a fracture of the tibia, Some possible internal bleeding. She is pregnant, start an IV on her as well.”

The fire truck showed up. They proceeded to remove the roof of the car. They got Kelsey out first. That gave the team access, to get the seat moved to get Whitley's leg free and her out. They put both Whitley and Kelsey in one ambulance and took off. I told them to take them to Botsford.

They were able to get the door and the seat separated enough to get Riley's arm free. She almost slid out on her own.

“ Riley, let the firemen help you don't want to hurt yourself more.” I was standing there watching. Keeping an eye on Brook. Once Riley was out. I checked her. Her right wrist was swollen, and she had a nasty gash just in front of her right ear. A large black and blue mark above her temple.

I did a check, she showed signs of a possible concussion. I left her with an EMT, while I returned to Brook. They had cut the shifter off to get it out of the way. They also had to pry the seat up to get her leg free. Once they got her out of the car and on a back board and neck brace. Brook was loaded in the second ambulance. Her and Riley took off for Botsford.

Grabbing my bag I found Greg back at the car. He had helped with traffic until the cops got there.

“ How are the girls?” He asked as we got in a headed for Botsford also.

“ Kelsey is unconscious, Her pulse was down, and her breathing was labored. She has possible broken ribs.” Taking a moment to calm down.

Whitley has a broken leg and arm. Riley may have a broken wrist and a concussion. Brook's right leg is broken she may have some internal damage.”
I grabbed my phone and called Botsford ER.

“Emergency, this is Heather may I help you?”

“ Heather, this is Dr Reid. You have four patients in route.

“ The Dr has been in contact with them.”

“ I was first on scene. That is my daughter and her family.”

“ OK, You know that we give the best care.”

“ Who is the physician on duty tonight?”

“ It's Tony Mayer.”

“OH, Good. Tell him I'm on my way.

“ My daughter is unconscious. Transgender female 25, 5'6. 120#, patient 2 Female 24, 5'5 115# She is pregnant. Fractured right femur, possible internal bleeding.” I paused letting Heather catch up.

“ Go a head Dr.”

“ Patient 3, Transgender female. 6 years old, 3'10” 42# also fractured right femur, a fractured right radius. Patient 4 Female also 6 years old, 3'10” 41# possible right wrist fracture, and concussion. My twin granddaughters and my daughter in law.”

As we hurried to the hospital.

“ That asshole who hit the girls was bombed off his ass. I had to stop him twice trying to start his truck and leave.”

“ Well, he made his bed now he has to lie in it. I believe he will be having a little legal trouble soon.”

“ He sure will. I called Jeff and told him what happened. He is going to his shop and wait for the car to be brought in. I told the cops to let the tow driver know where to take it.”

Greg dropped me off at the ER entrance. I already had my ID ready. I quickly scanned my ID. As I walked in I heard Whitley yelling, “ No, I wanna stay with Momma” I broke into a run straight to her She was in a wheel chair and had a death grip on the door frame. With her left hand.

The nurse was saying, “ we need to get you to Xray and to be able to treat your mom.”

“ NOOOOOO,” Whitley screamed.

“ Whitley” I called. She immediately stopped and looked at me.

“ Grandma” I knelt down beside her. She grabbed me in a hug. “ I wanna stay with Momma. She's not waking up”

The nurse started to say something I just shook my head.

“ Hey, Now listen to me.” With tears in her eyes see looked straight into my eyes. “ Don't worry, She will be alright. But the Drs need to check her to find out what is wrong with her. OK?”

“ Yeah, I guess.”

“ We also need to see what happened to your leg and arm. To get them fixed up good a new.”

“ Yeah, Grandma.”

“ Now be a big girl and let the nurse take you to get pictures taken of your bones.” I kissed her forehead.

“ OK.” She agreed. The nurse wheeled her away.

I stepped into the room where Kelsey was. They had her hooked up to all the machines. A lab tech was just leaving with blood samples. The Dr had just finished his check on her.

“ Tony” I said.

“ Amber, Hi. Heather told me that this is your daughter and her family.”

“ Yeah,”

“ Your granddaughter is a pistol.”

“ She takes after me and Kelsey. What have you found?”

“ broken femur, Possible broken clavicle, and a couple broken ribs. X-ray is on the way for pictures. We'll know once they come back.”

“OK, Have you seen my daughter in law and other granddaughter yet?”

“ She was the first I saw. I sent Brook straight to X ray for a cat scan.”

“ Doctor,” A nurse called.

“ Yes,” we both said.

“ The results from the first patient are here.”

“ Thanks,” Both Me and Tony looked them over. What I saw disturbed me greatly.
Looks like she had some internal damage from where the shifter hit her. It seemed that Tony saw the same thing.

He grabbed to phone, “ We need to get her to surgery, stat.” I just nodded in agreement.
“ This is Dr Meyer. We need to prep for emergency surgery. Patent, Brook Reid Female 24, auto accident. Internal bleeding. Her left side. She is pregnant too...... about 1-2 months along. Just found out.” He hung up and dialed another number.

“ This is Dr Meyer. Take my patient, Brook Reid straight up to surgery suite 3. Stat”
breathing a sigh of relief.

“Your other Granddaughter was next for a CT scan.” As We were talking a X ray tech was wheeling the portable machine into Kelsey's room.

About 5 minutes later, the results for Riley where ready.

“ looks like just a mild concussion.” I said.

“ Yeah sure does.” Tony agreed.

Just then I noticed Whitley and Riley being wheeled back. They were holding hands. Stopping just in front of the counter where I was.
Going around I again knelt in front of them.

“ How are my girls?” The both grabbed me in a hug best they could.

“ Whitley says they where taking Mommie away when she got to X ray.” Riley said.
Whitley nodded.”

“ Well, mommie had some owies inside so they are taking her to get them fixed.”

“I hope it didn't hurt our baby sisters or brothers.” Whitley said.

“ yeah.” Riley agreed.

“ OK, Girls let's get you on the road to getting better.”

“Take them to 4.” I said to the nurses.

“ OK, Grandma.” They each said.

Once I got Whitley's x-rays. I had the nurse give her a local in her right thigh, and one just above her elbow. There for numbing everything from that spot down. I needed to set the bones. Fortunately they where only a little out of place.
I also had Riley's left wrist numbed.
As I stepped into room 4.

“ Grandma, my arm and leg feel all tingly. I can touch them and not feel it.”

“ Yeah, Grandma. My hand feels the same way.” Riley said.

I pulled up Whitley's x-rays on the monitor in the room. After studying them for a couple minutes.

“ Grandma, is that my bones.”

“ Yes, honey they are.” pointing to the fractures. “ See these two spots. They are not supposed to be there.”

“ They don't look to straight.”

“ No they don't” I said turning to her. “That is why your arm and leg feel funny. So I can put them in place, so they can heal right.”

“Then I am going to have Dr. Meyers put a pretty cast on your arm and leg. What color do you want?”

“ Can I have pink?”
“ Me, too.” Riley said.” I want pink too.”

“ I'll make sure. We have enough pink.” I gave the nurse a nod.
A minute later Dr. Meyer came in. “ Someone said that you both want pink casts?”
He said holding up some packages of pink.

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Nice Writing

Now I am going to have to go back and start at Chap. 1. Very smooth writing and incident description. Credible sounding Medical Terminology.

Very Good.

Gwen

Poor girls

Samantha Heart's picture

They didn't ask for that. A damn drunk driver. I think the next car even stock gets a full racing roll cage & basicly a full nascar car with a stock body over it. Thank god for full 5 point racing harnesses.it could have been worse if it wasn't for that.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

1999 Ford Crown victoria Roush cobra Vic

The car will be reveled in my story, Kesley. It is a Cobra Vic. They were made by Roush Racing for the Bonderant racing school instructor cars. 4.6 Cobra 4.6 4v. 5 speed, full cage 4 place racing harness, fire system, fuel cell.