School Life Chp. 13

Printer-friendly version

The weeks following the convention performance were extremely busy for Lindsey and the band. Lindsey had her after school activities that kept her busy during the week. The way Brenda arranged the performances for the restaurants were Thursday and Friday nights they played at one restaurant. Then Saturday and Sunday night they played at the other restaurant. They normally didn’t go on stage at either restaurant till 8 o’clock and played till midnight.

They would switch up the schedule, so the place they played Saturday and Sunday. Would have them Thursday and Friday and vice versa. The owners and managers didn’t have a problem with that arrangement.

As for the school band competition, the school took second place. The only reason they didn’t take first place, was because of how outdated their band uniforms were. Also, because some of the players in their band made mistakes that weren’t too subtle.

Lindsey and Ian did everything they could to make sure the band sounded good. When they arrived back to school from the competition, Mr. Simmons pulls them aside.

“Lindsey, Ian, you guys did an amazing job and I want to thank you for the hard work. If it wasn’t for the two of you giving a little extra like you did. I don’t think we would have taken second place.”

“You’re welcome, Mr. Simmons.” Lindsey looks towards Ian and knew he had put a little more in his drum playing.

Ian just smiles back at Lindsey. He didn’t think he would be friends with a smart person like her. He had heard the rumors about her being trans and when he asked her in private. She didn’t lie or deny the accusations.

“Oh, one more thing, your band sounded awesome on Friday night at The Airship.” He had a smile on his face as he walks away from them.
Ian and Lindsey watch as their music teacher walks away. Lindsey turns towards Ian.

“You know something? I didn’t even see him out in the crowd.”

“I know I didn’t. I was more focus on playing than watching the crowd.” Ian carries Lindsey’s sax for her.

She was still wearing a brace on her injured leg. They had taken out the hardware in her knee, but she still had to be careful with it. The brace made sure her leg was kept safe.

“Hey, there’s your mom, Ian.” They walk over towards Ian’s mother.

Mrs. Smith told Barbara that she would come by and pick the kids up when they got back from the band competition. Since Barbara had a late showing and wouldn’t be able to make it herself.

“Where would you kids like to stop and pick dinner up at?”

“Arby’s please Mrs. Smith.” Lindsey was craving a roast beef sandwich with Arby’s sauce.

“How about you Ian?” Mrs. Smith didn’t mind Arby’s either, but she wanted Ian to say what he wanted as well.

“Arby’s is fine with me.”

While Mrs. Smith drove the car towards the Arby’s near their house. Lindsey’s and Ian’s cellphone go off at the same time.

“Emergency band meeting tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. Terry.”

“I wonder what he wants?”

“What who wants, Lindsey?” Mrs. Smith pulls into the Arby’s parking lot.

“Terry, he called an emergency band meeting tomorrow at 7.” Lindsey had Drama practice till almost 6:30 pm.

“We’ll find out tomorrow.”

Ian helps Lindsey out of the car and inside Arby’s “so, what are you getting?”

“I was thinking about a number two. A medium roast beef sandwich, three potatoes cakes instead of curly fries and a medium sweet tea.” Lindsey was hungry. She ate very little lunch while they waited to play.

Ian just smiles as he orders for them and his mother, when they are next to order. He orders a Greek gyro and sweet tea for his mother and the same thing Lindsey was having. He was as hungry as she was.

“So, what have you been doing with the money you have been making with the band?” Ian was curious.

He knew Terry and Jamie were putting what they got paid towards their own cars. He was saving his for college and a special trip for his parents.

“I’m reinvesting the money back into the band. I know we only need to give five percent of our earnings to the band but I’m giving a little more. I’m only asking for forty dollars in return. I figure during the summer months we could do some touring.”

“That’s a smart idea.”

“I figure we could either rent an RV or buy an old school bus and fix it up for traveling.” Lindsey had seen a documentary about a band that had done that. It cut down on their touring cost.

They finish dinner and Mrs. Smith drops Lindsey off first. Barbara wasn’t home yet, but she did text Lindsey saying she’ll be home by 9:00 pm.

“Thanks, Mrs. Smith.” Lindsey heads into the house and starts getting ready for bed.

Her lips were sore from playing her sax earlier. She takes a nice hot shower and sits down at her synthesizer and work on a few new tunes she has been toying with. So, far they had their second CD planned out and decided to produce it themselves.

Barbara pulls up into the driveway and notices the spare bedroom lights were on. She knew Lindsey would be in there working on her music.
She also wants to know how the band competition went.

As she walks in “Lindsey, I’m home.”

Lindsey gets up and walks into the living room “welcome home, mom.”

“Thanks, sweetie. How was the band competition?”

“Our school came in second place. They dinged us for our outdated uniforms. They also dinged us for some of our players. They either played
the wrong note or wasn’t keeping up with the rest of us.”

“Well, second place isn’t bad for a school band that hasn’t taken part in the band competition in a while.”

“Well, Ian and I got congratulated by Mr. Simmons. He noticed that the two of us had done what we could to make our band better.”

“That was nice of you two and of him to do.”

“Thanks, mom. Oh, tomorrow I need to go over to Terry’s and Jamie’s house at 7:00 pm. Terry is calling an emergency meeting.”

“No problem. I’ll be there to pick you up from drama practice. Do you want me to pick you up some dinner?”

“Yes, please. Some cheeseburgers from McDonald would be nice.”

“Okay, I’ll get you a cheeseburger meal tomorrow. Now, go ahead and go to bed.” Barbara gives Lindsey a hug, before sending her to bed.

Spring Hill High (Around Lunch Time)
Kaja spots Lindsey sitting outside during lunch reading a book. It was rare not to find Lindsey working on some music or practicing some cords or something on her laptop.

“Hey Lindsey, do you mind if I bug you?”

Lindsey looks up from a novel she had checked out of the library. She decided to follow her mother’s advice and take some time to enjoy life.

“Not at all. Pull, up a patch of grass.” Lindsey marks her place and put her book down.

“Thanks.” Kaja sits down across from Lindsey and pulls out a leather-bound three-ring notebook.

“I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind looking at these pictures. They are for the bands next album and for T-shirts and such.” Kaja hands the
notebook to Lindsey to look at.

Lindsey accepts the notebook and looks at some of the drawings. Some of them were the newest album covers. They were putting out two different albums. One had non-steampunk music on it, while the other one was strictly steampunk music.

“They look nice Kaja. You should put some of your artwork up on the band website to sell.” Lindsey looks towards Kaja.

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about. Do you think the guys would mind if I put some of mine or a few artists I know artwork up on the website?”

Lindsey thinks about it. She wasn’t the one Kaja should talk too about it, but she would back her.

“I don’t mind if you or any of the artist you know want to advertise your artwork on our website. However, you need to ask Brenda for permission. She handles all the business deals now, besides Terry.”

“Will you back me if I ask her?”

“Yes, I will. I think you and your friends do good work. Look, tell Brenda you’ll give the band ten percent for every sale you guys make. That way the band makes some money and you make some money.”

Kaja thinks about it for a second “that sounds like a good idea. Thanks, Lindsey.”

“You’re welcome. I’ll see you in drama practice.”

“Okay.” Kaja puts her notebook away.

“Need a hand?” Kaja reaches out to help Lindsey up.

“Thanks.” They head inside to their various classes.

7:00 pm Terry and Jamie’s house:
Lindsey was the last to arrive. Drama practice had run a little longer than normal and Lindsey had to rush to get to her mother’s car while carrying her Saxophone and backpack. Then they had to stop at McDonald to grab a cheeseburger combo for Lindsey.

Terry looks at everyone gathered around the dining room table. He was a little excited by the gig the group had been given.

“I bet you all are wondering why I called you all together tonight. Brenda informed me that she was contacted by the staff that handled the convention we played at. They want us to come and play again, but this time as our own act. There’s another event taking place in three weeks and they would like for us to play. Instead of going on for twenty minutes like we did. They are giving us an hour to play.”

“An hour?”

“Yep, a whole hour to play, since we got such a huge applause last time. It’s going to be a three-day event and we will be taking a Saturday slot. We’re still going to meet our evening event.”

“How much are we getting paid for this?” Dan was curious.

“$2,000.00 for the whole hour.”

“Can we still set-up a stall and sell our merchandise?”

“I don’t see why not. I’ll speak with Brenda and see what we will be allowed to do. Also, our music is selling well on all the sites we have put it on.”

“That’s good to hear. I do have one request. Kaja wants to know if she and several other artists that she knows can sell their artwork on our site? I told her she needs to speak to Brenda about that, but if we allow it. They would be willing to pay us ten percent of the profit.” Lindsey was hoping Terry wouldn’t mind.

Terry thinks about the request “I don’t see a reason why they can’t. Kaja has been doing a nice job on designing our album covers. Speaking of which, does she have the next one done already?”

“Yep, she was going to send it to Brenda. She showed me both covers, and I like them.”

“I wouldn’t mind seeing them before we print them.” Jamie wanted to see what Kaja have come up with this time.

“She’ll be in school tomorrow. Is there anything else that needs to be covered?” Lindsey covers up a yawn.

“Nope, that’s all.” Terry had a major test in the morning.

“Good, I’m going home and getting some sleep.”

“Come on sleeping beauty.” Ian escorts Lindsey into the living room where Barbara was waiting for her.

Barbara takes both kids home. She drops Ian off first and then takes Lindsey and help her to bed.

“Sleep tight.”

Barbara turns the lights off and heads to bed herself.

up
295 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think it was pretty rude of

I think it was pretty rude of the judges to knock down the school band based on their "outdated" uniforms. Perhaps that is all the school can afford at this time? Besides, Some bands today are using "retro" uniforms and look great in them.
Glad they did come in 2nd at least, as it does give them somewhere to shoot for and that is to become number 1. Looks like the groups band is going to leap into the "big time" faster than they realize.

I disagree

WillowD's picture

Bands are a form of entertainment. As such, presentation affects audience enjoyment and the uniforms affect presentation. If you want the score to be based purely on their music then the judges should just be listening to recordings of their music and not watching live shows. Also, the uniforms were not the only reason for being given a less than perfect score so the uniforms being outdated may have been a minor issue.

To give you an extreme example of this, if I was just listening to the Kyoto Tachibana SHS Marching Band I would think I was listening to some big American swing orchestra from the 1940s. I wouldn't see the happily smiling high school students as they simultaneously dance and play. I think there is a huge difference in the quality of entertainment between these two examples. You can watch this YouTube video starting at 1:00 (one minute) in for my favorite clip of this high school band. https://youtu.be/4HFNTj4muIo?t=57

Poor Linsy

Samantha Heart's picture

Is keeping EXTREMELY busy. Between writing music for the band she's with,, school band, drauma, and school work. But at least now she's at least taking a brake to at least read. She makin good money don't get me wrong, but....

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Nice change

Jamie Lee's picture

Getting the hardware removed from her knee is a good sign that it's healing properly. But it still must be rough having to limit movement and still do what she wants.

Depending on the number of bands in the competition coming in second place is nothing to sneeze at, especially when it's the first time they competed in a number of years.

Not knowing what made up the competition, or the number of bands participating, uniforms should have been a minor consideration given how often the school was able to participate. Small schools don't have the same financial opportunities as larger schools who participate yearly in such competition.

Larger schools are likely to have bigger PTA's to help with fund raising when needs exceed the school budget. Also, with a larger group of students participating in band they too have a greater base to raise money from various sales during the year.

However, goofing while playing is a bigger mistake than the old uniforms. Again, depending on the type of competition, and the instruments, mistakes can stand out like a sore thumb. And if the judges are from the music field, they will spot the mistakes right away.

Lindsey reading is a good change in her routine. She gets to stop and relax, and it gets her to think about something other than her usual busy routine. It could also jog her mind to create music and songs which draw even more people to their music.

Two thousand dollars for an hours work is real good money for the band at this stage in their career. When they have a greater draw and become better known they could start setting their price per gig.

Others have feelings too.

Marching Band

Is a performance art. How you look and how well you perform the formations while you play is one of the key factors in your score. A less than stellar appearance can hurt you bigtime. You gotta bring it if you wanna compete with the big boys.

That said, there are normally catagories the bands are slotted into. The small schools with fewer band members and money don't compete with the big schools with a couple of hundred band members and the money to buy new uniforms every year or two. So the class 1A schools don't have to out-glitz the 6A schools.

Finally, back in my dayz band uniforms were made out of wool. So if they wern't stored properly they could come out looking like the all-you-can-eat buffet at a moth convention.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin