School Life Chp. 19

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey had gotten up and did her morning routine. She had some packing she needed to do. The guys were going to come by later and pick her up and Ian up. They packed up the drum set that Ian left over at Jamie and Terry’s garage. They still needed to get a place to practice, so
Mr. Knotts could have the garage back.

Barbara sticks her head into Lindsey’s bedroom to check on her. She spots her packing for a few days.

“You almost ready?” As she walks in to help Lindsey.

“Almost, mom. Do you think I packed enough?” She had her suitcase filled with four days of clothes, her make-up, shampoo, and conditioner.

She had checked the hotel out online and found out they had a gym and an indoor swimming pool. So, she packed her swimsuit and workout clothes as well. Her other bag held the shoes she was going to wear on stage and if they were going out anywhere for dinner and such.

It doesn’t take long with Barbara’s help to finish up packing and getting her instruments ready. She was taking all her instruments this time around because they were planning on playing some of their own music.

“Let’s go and get some lunch, my treat.” Barbara grabs her purse, while Lindsey grabs hers.

“I wish you were coming with us on this one, mom.” As they walk out to the car.

“Me too, sweetie, but I got several houses I can’t reschedule. Besides, Ian’s mother is going to be with you guys along with Mr. and Mrs.
Knotts.” Barbara wanted to go, but she had no choice in staying behind.

Barbara takes Lindsey to Charlotte’s Grill to have lunch. She wanted to treat Lindsey to a nice meal before the band members showed up to pick her up.

“Mom, this place is High class.” Lindsey looks at her mother.

“I know. I normally bring clients here, just before I close on a house. I thought you might like it.” Barbara parks the car and the two of them head inside the restaurant.

The Hostess of the place greets them “Mrs. Weathers would you like your normal table or a different one?”

“A different one would be nice. Oh, Chasity, I want you to meet my daughter, Lindsey.”

Chasity’s eyes get big when Barbara mentions her name.

“Your Lindsey Weathers from Dusty Gaskets?” Chasity couldn’t believe it. She had a member of Dusty Gasket standing before her.

“I’m just the keyboard player.” A smile appears on Lindsey’s face.

“Your group sounds really good. I downloaded some of you guys music from Apple music store.” Chasity shows Lindsey and Barbara to an empty table.

“Thank you. Here...” As Lindsey reaches into her purse and pulls out one of their thumb drive that has all their music on it. She hands it to her.
“it has all our music on it.”

“Thank you.” Chasity slips it into her pants pocket.

Their waitress shows up and takes their order. The place was busy with the lunch crowd.

“So, are you guys going in two cars or one?”

“Two, the Knott’s, Brenda and Mrs. Smith are riding in their car, while us, Jamie’s girlfriend, Krist, Kaja and Maxine are riding in Dan’s SUV with
a trailer with our equipment and merchandise in it. Brenda is coming with us to do some networking.”

Their food shows up, along with their drinks. Lindsey had ordered a nice Gyro plate, while Barbara got a nice fish and shrimp plate.

“Just remember while you are there, that you are not to go anywhere by yourself without either one of the Knott’s, Mrs. Smith or a band member with you.”

“I promise mom, I won’t explore the area without someone with me. The band was told there would be Norfolk police officers there along with armed security officers as well.

“How many days are you guys playing?”

“We’re playing Saturday from 4:30pm-5: 30 pm and Sunday from 11:30 am-12: 30 pm. We’re hoping to be home by midnight or leave Monday morning.”

“Why don’t you guys leave Monday morning.” That way you can rest and recover some.

“Okay, I’ll tell Terry when he comes to pick me up. Actually, I’ll text him right now.” Lindsey sends a text to Terry. She figures he could tell everyone else before they left.

After lunch, Barbara takes Lindsey shopping, till they had to head back home. The guys were already at the house waiting on them. Ian and
Lindsey brought her stuff out and gave it to Krist to load up in the trailer. Everything was loaded nicely and fit perfectly in the trailer.

“Be careful sweetheart and have fun.” Barbara gives Lindsey a hug.

“Bye, mom.” Lindsey gets in the SUV with everyone else.

This was going to be her first time leaving the area, besides the trip to the Renaissance Festival. She watches Barbara wave to her as they pull away. They start heading towards the Highway and then the Interstate.

“You might as well make yourself comfortable. We have a seven and a half an hour ride ahead of us, ladies and gentlemen.”

“Are we driving straight through, or are we stopping for a break?” Lindsey was curious.

“Well, if we want to get there by eleven o’clock. We will be driving straight through. There’s a cooler in the back if you get thirsty.” Krist was driving.

Dan was sitting up front in the passenger seat. He was the navigator and in charge of the radio. Behind him was Terry, Jamie, and Christy. The next row had Ian, Maxine, and Kaja. The last row she had to herself along with a few pillows, bags and a few boxes of their merchandise.

For the next seven hours, Lindsey just listens to her iPhone. They do make one rest stop for everyone to use the bathroom. Lindsey switched up with Jamie and Christy, so they could have the back seat to themselves. She shares the front with Terry.

“Lindsey, wake-up.” Terry was lightly shaking Lindsey’s foot. She had curled up on her side of the seat.

Lindsey slowly opens her eyes and look around and then at Terry “are we here?”

“Yep, we’re here. Come on and let’s check in.” Terry gets out and helps a sleepy Lindsey out.

The first room is given to Maxine, Kaja, Christy, and Lindsey. The second room goes to Terry, Jamie, Krist, and Ian. Brenda and Dan share a
room since they were brother and sister.The Knotts and Mrs. Smith share another room. They unload their bags but leave the equipment locked up in the trailer.

Friday Morning:
Brenda and the group report to the organizers of Haborfest. They are told what stage they would be performing at and given discount tickets for some of the restaurants in the area. Around noon is when the festival starts. Mrs. Smith, Ian, Lindsey, and Kaja form one group and explore. They enjoy the music and wares that are on display for sale. Kaja was going to set-up their merchandise tomorrow before they start playing. Maxine, Krist, Terry, and Dan formed another group and was exploring. The Knotts, Jamie, and Christy formed another group and were exploring inside Waterside. Brenda was busy talking with a few people.

Lindsey had her camera out was taking pictures of all the ships sailing towards Waterside. She was having fun.

“Where are you setting up tomorrow, Kaja?”

Kaja looks around till she spotted where she was told they could set-up their stall “over there.” She points out the direction and spot. They have lunch at one of the vendors.

For dinner, they go down to the Freemason Abbey restaurant. It is a 144-year-old renovated church. Lindsey loved the place. The atmosphere was a combination of old and new. It had stain glass windows and the old fashion layout of the church.

After dinner, they headed back to the Marriot. Lindsey changes out of her clothes and put her swimsuit on. She picks up her cellphone and calls Ian to see if he wanted to join her down at the pool.

As the two of them are heading downstairs “so, are you having fun?”

“Yes, I am enjoying this trip. How about you?”

“I would enjoy it more if my mother wasn’t with us.”

“I like your mother Ian. She’s a nice woman.”

Once they arrive down at the pool, Lindsey just jumps in, after tossing her towel on a nearby lounge chair. A few seconds later, she is joined by Ian. She does a few laps to relax and burn off some energy. Tomorrow they did their first gig.

Ian chases after Lindsey as she swims the length of the pool. He liked her, and she was fun to be around.

“I was thinking about joining the wrestling team when we go back to school.” Ian has been seriously thinking it might be a good idea to have another occupation outside of music.

“That should be fun.” Lindsey does a lap and stops in front of Ian.

“My mother suggested I should find something other than music to pursue.”

“She must have been talking to my mother. She thinks I should have a backup occupation, just in case our band falls apart.”

“I doubt that is going to happen. We have too much stuff as is lined up. Brenda said we might open for a popular band.”

“I know, but Dan and Terry are 18years old and might decide to move on.”

“I doubt it. Terry likes music and is planning on playing if he can. As for Dan, he might move on. Me, I enjoy music and am thinking about continuing my education in it and learning to play additional instruments.”

“That I can see about you, Lindsey. Music is in your blood. It’s what makes you, you.” He splashes Lindsey and swims off.

Lindsey chases after him. She manages to finally catch him and dunk him underwater. She hears the alarm on her cell phone buzz, letting her know she needs to head back up to her room.

Ian and Lindsey get out of the pool and dries off, before heading up to their room.

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A life out side

Samantha Heart's picture

Of music would not be a bad thing for Lindzy to think about some kind of sport. But with her knee idk what it would be though.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

I really like this story

and hope life continues to go well for Lindsey.

Thank you

I'm thinking of a squeal where she is asked to join an Orchestra or travels to New York to learn at Julian, while still part of Dusty Gasket. I might do one where she and the band are traveling Europe and Australia. I haven't planned it out yet.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Going far

Jamie Lee's picture

Music can take a person far if they are good enough, or stick with them as a nice hobby. But bands have come and gone since first being formed, as does the music they play.

It isn't a bad idea to develop another interest which can help provide a living if/when the band is no longer popular.

However long their band lasts it's possible for their music to endure much longer if it's different enough to keep the interest of the listeners.

Others have feelings too.

Positive Outlook

I'm enjoying reading this series. Thanks for sharing.