School Life Chp. 9

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey couldn’t believe her foster mother was willing to buy her a guitar. She bought her an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric guitar, it was alpine white color. Her schedule was busy during the week and on the weekend. She was taking vocal lessons, swimming lessons, and practicing with all her instruments. She was writing music and practicing for four to five hours on the weekend. Plus, on top of all that, was her homework for her advanced classes.

She had the band competition coming up in the next few weeks. They made a couple of music videos playing some of their own written music and got a mediocre response from the videos. The critics were on everyone’s playing and music. One of the comments was that their band had a twelve-year-old keyboard player. That they must be desperate to recruit someone so young to play.

The comments didn’t bother her. She was getting comments in school as well. A lot of the older students couldn’t understand how a twelve-year-old could be in high school. As for the music they played, most of the comments had been directed towards what Terry and Jami had written. The music she wrote wasn’t too bad, and neither was Ian’s. Some of Terry’s and Jami’s music sounded like another artist music.

There was some similarity to another artist they stole from, but it was their music. It could use some tweaking, but if they had done it before they posted the music video. The comments might have been better. Lindsey concentrates on her school work.

“Lindsey, Lindsey, wake-up baby or you're going to be late for school.” Lindsey felt her shoulder being shaking gently.

Lindsey looks up and tries to figure out where she was. It takes her a few minutes to realized she had fallen asleep and was at the dining room table. She had burned the midnight oil finishing up her homework. She gets up and rushes to the bathroom to get ready for school. She rushes to her bedroom and gets dress. She grabs her saxophone and rushes back into the dining room to grab her school books.

Barbara was heating up a couple of refrigerated sausage biscuits for Lindsey to take with her. She could eat them on her way to class. They head out towards her school.

“Lindsey, you're burning the candle at both ends again. You need to manage your time better.” Barbara glances at Lindsey as she munches on a biscuit.

“I know mom. I stayed up learning more about my guitar. The lessons took longer than I thought. I took my guitar apart and was learning how to restring it and tune it properly.” Lindsey has some of the basic beginner cords and songs down.

She could play them on the guitar, her synthesizer, and her saxophone. She covers up a yawn as Barbara drops her off at school.

“Have a good day, sweetheart.” Barbara watches as Lindsey gets out and heads into the school.

Lindsey makes her way towards her first class. She hobbles in and takes her seat. She has gotten used to hobbling along with her kneecap still healing. As she is sitting in class a student comes in and talks with her teacher.

Her teacher turns around and looks at Lindsey “Lindsey, your needed down at the office. Take your backpack with you.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Lindsey picks her things up and heads towards the office.

When she arrives up at the office. Lindsey notices her mother’s co-worker Stephanie Warner was waiting for her.

“Lindsey, your mother was involved in a car accident. She’s in serious condition, do you have all your school books and your saxophone?” Stephanie looks at Lindsey as she comes hobbling in.

“Yes, ma’am. How bad is Barbara?” As Lindsey follows Stephanie out of the school and down to the parking lot.

“She’s being rush to the emergency surgery right now.” Stephanie starts the car and drives them towards the hospital.

Lindsey had tears streaming down her cheeks as Stephanie takes her to the hospital. Lindsey leaves her books and Sax in the car. She follows Stephanie towards the waiting room. Barbara was still be operating on.

Stephanie comforts Lindsey while her foster mother was being operated on. They sit for hours as Barbara was being operated on. Lindsey wonders how bad her foster mother was. No one besides Stephanie has told her anything.

After four hours, a doctor finally comes out. He spots Stephine and Lindsey and walks over towards the two of them.

“Mrs. O’Rourke, your friend is going to live. We managed to stop the bleeding and she is going to pull through. We’re going have to keep her here for a few days before we can release her.”

“Oh, thank god.” Stephine was happy her friend was going to be okay.

“What happened to my mother?” Lindsey looks at the doctor.

“Your mother had a rebar that went through her windshield and straight into the shoulder, nicking one of her main arteries. She sustained neck and head injuries from the impact of the accident.” Doctor Hawking was looking at Lindsey when he spoke to her.

“Can we see her?” Lindsey wanted to see Barbara make sure she was okay.

“She’s resting right now. You’ll be able to see her tomorrow.” Doctor Hawking knew she was still out from the operation.

“Doctor, I want to see my foster mother. I promise I bother her.” Lindsey didn’t want to lose Barbara. She’s been the only foster parent who has shown any interest in her.

“Okay, come with me.” Doctor Hawking escorts Lindsey and Stephine to where Barbara was resting.

Lindsey walks over to Barbara and holds her hand. She doesn’t want to lose her foster mother. Barbara has been the best foster mother she
has had so far. She and Barbara had been talking about adopting her. She places a kiss on Barbara’s cheek.

“Please get better mom.” She hugs her.

Stephine takes her to her house, after stopping by home to get a change of clothes.

up
340 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

i hope she gets better

she seems like a great character

Goddess,

You're hard on your villains and your protagonists, but the stories sure are exciting.

I feel.for Linzy poor girl

Samantha Heart's picture

Is smart, young in HS at age 12 & tg on top of everything else her foster Mother is in a bad car accident almost dies has head & neck injuries due to the impact of her car hitting something hard. I HOPE & pray Babra comes out ok and DOES adopt Linzy

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Twelve-year-old in high school

Jamie Lee's picture

Instead of questioning the whys of a twelve-year-old being in high school, those with the problems should be marveling that she's there at all. And doing very well. Of course that isn't how many would really respond, but they could learn from Lindsey if they only tried.

This chapter had Lindsey at a junction that could have pushed back everything Barbara had accomplished with Lindsey should she have died in the accident. It was something Lindsey knew as well, her stating that Barbara was the best foster parent she's ever had. Had Barbara died, the next foster parents could have felt that high school was no place for a twelve-year-old and put her in the grade her age dictated. Had this happened, Lindsey would have likely collapsed in on herself because nothing in that grade would have benefited her. She would have been bored out of her mind.

Others have feelings too.

Looks

People are sniping at her looks because they couldn't find anything to complain about on her playing.

Lyndsey and Barbara are having a run of bad luck! It's about time for things to change, they've certainly earned it.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin