Guessing Game

Printer-friendly version

At home test to reveal baby's sex leaves some parents surprised at hospital.
Chicago Tribune 3-02-2008

 
 
Guessing Game
by
Dreammaker

Micki! I’m so glad you called.

No, the reason I never called is your mother's restraining order.

No, it’s been in place since the divorce in 2012.

Well, yes you were part of the reason for the divorce, but not the cause, No the cause was your mother’s unreasoning stubbornness.

You really want to hear this? You understand that I am very critical of your mother?

Well, it started in 2007 when we first celebrated your conception. Janice wanted to know if you were a boy or girl and did not want to wait for development to show in the sonogram.

Yes, at that time a company known as Acu-Gen Bio Lab of Lowell, Mass had been advertising that their DNA testing was 99.9% accurate. Their web site listed dozens of clinical studies that they said corroborated their approach.

No, they claimed that the sequence that they used in their “Baby Gender Mentor” was not quite the same.

Yes, the Federal Trade Commission did have an opinion. They warned buyers to be skeptical of the tests.

The test said that you were a girl. Your mother wanted a girl and in her way that was that, case settled. She started buying your bedroom set, clothing and toys. She had your life planned out before you were a bulge in tummy.

Yes, that was a surprise. Janice started screaming again, I had just gone through six hours of being lambasted for all that I had done to her and Janice telling the doctor to make it stop when finally you appeared. The doctor asked me your name and I said Mickey.

No, Janice had agreed to that name if it was a boy, before the test.

I know the birth certificate says female, I think your mother talked the nurse into it.

Well things went downhill fast. I tried to get your mother to talk to counselors but she would not go. That kind of thing does not work if only one person goes.

Yes, I asked for the divorce and asked for custody. Your mother had a very good lawyer from the women’s rights group. Not only did they promise not to charge her if they lost, they won an assignment of their lawyer’s fees from my accounts and your mom was awarded total custody.

No, I don’t believe that I could have won. The judge found me in contempt of court when I asked that she examine your privates herself, to not just read the birth certificate.

Yes, that is when the restraining order was slapped on me.

No your mother never sent me photos or any thing, all I have seen of you was your graduation pictures on the school’s web-blog.

You look quite developed in that picture.

It is all natural!

Oh, you found out that she has had you on hormones for the last six years?

She wouldn’t let you be a tomboy?

Yes, you could try to take this to court, but Micki, consider this. Perhaps God did have a plan for you, where this was what was needed. Your mother does love you and the world knows you as you are. Know what happened and move on.

Yes I want to meet you. NOW? You’re at my door!!

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You made me curious...

erin's picture

...so I googled for it. :) The link is here.

Interesting extrapolation.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

A wee bit prescient, perhaps?

Oh yeah, this is just coming over the horizon now - can't say I've all that much sympathy for people being ripped off - isn't health the most important thing?

(I know, I'm sooooo culturally and otherwise insensitive!)

Very well done!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Dam! "move on" how?

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Dam! This begs a lot of questions and further stories,
although its an intriguing piece on its own.

Just hormones? " the world knows you as you are" Was more done?
Not likely considering the way they psych evaluate those going for SRS.
So he looks female outwardly but is male below however likely non-functioning due to hormones?
How old is Micki, High school graduation? how much time is past?
so the 'boy's out from under the mother control?
What if he decides he want to be boy? What would that mean?
The father thinks maybe it was Gods plan?
I don't think a judge could get away with that the whole argument was the birth cert was wrong because of the mothers finagling.

This definitely leaves a lot of questions, not that its doesn't stand on its own as story.

Never mind his back story.
This boy that looks like a girl and is known as one still has a major journey ahead of him. To complete his journey to girlhood, or to someway find a way back to the boy he is.
Or otherwise to keep 'her' secret difference a secret forever and live with all the awkwardness that doing so entails.
How can he/she "move on" in what direction can he/she do this?

-
Dam my comment is almost half as long as the story.
Was there ever a follow up story to this I don't see an obvious link.

Behind the story

Sorry, there will be no continuation, this had been my third attempt at posting a story based on real life news articles that had pricked my interest, in this case I think it was in 2008. The original link that Erin had posted in her comment no longer points to the correct story but you can find part of it HERE. I just kind of did a what if.

Other stories sourced from the news that I wrote are:
Sun Block,
Keeping Quiet, the unreported story
and Deer Departed

Guessing Game by Dreammaker

When Mickey becomes an adult, HE can take HIS mother to Court about her forced feminization of her SON as well as her using HIS father's money to pay her lawyers and Acu-Gen Bio Lab of Lowell, Mass. or their part.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine