Just One Of Those Moments ...

Printer-friendly version
Just one of those moments ...

Today is my granddaughter's seventh birthday, but

we celebrated it here yesterday as she visits with us on Tuesdays. She likes frogs, frog-purse, frog-doll, frog-song (I want to be a frog today performed by Johnette Downing from "Fins and Grins", if you can find it, go ahead and play it).

Well to make a story longer, her birthday card had a sound chip in it of a frog croaking out the happy birthday song, and she was playing it non stop as my wife prepared supper. I just could not resist, I asked my granddaughter if she knew how bridges were built? She replied with a question in her voice "with frogs?" to which I answered no, with rib-bits. I saw my intended target try to hide a smile, yep, got my wife again.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a bit dated,

It has been three years since I wrote this on Fictionner, it is a true story.

*Smile*

I had a laugh at that joke. Talking of frogs reminds me of my son at that age - he was into "frog everything" and nicknamed Kermit by his mates. Now he is grown and married. How time flies *sigh*

Joanna

Cough, Cough ...

I'd laugh but I have a frog in my throat...

Ribbit: Just Wondering...

First time I heard a frog's croak rendered as "ribbit" was in a Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour skit -- a takeoff on "The Frog Prince" -- circa 1968, the year I graduated from high school. (The point being that I never heard it as a preschool or early elementary school kid, when animal sounds are a frequent form of entertainment or education.)

I've been wondering for years whether that show was the first significant use of it.

I've tried researching it online, but found no early references. Dictionary.com doesn't list it even now. Oxford Dictionaries Online says that it's in their "U.S. English dictionary", but doesn't give an initial date. My late 1940s American College Dictionary doesn't show it (no surprise there) and (fwiw) the old 78rpm phonograph record "Tubby the Tuba", as narrated in the mid-1940s by Danny Kaye, gives a frog character a singing introduction with lots of croaking, none of which sounds even remotely like "ribbit". Wikipedia and Wiktionary are no help, though it's listed there. Ditto Urban Dictionary. Since the dictionaries characterize it as "imitative" or "onomatopoeic", there's no derivation from other languages shown.

Can anyone here help?

Eric