Wild Magic 41 (FINALLY)

Printer-friendly version

Wild Magic 41

Author’s note-I’m going to do something a little different to start the chapter off, but I’m going right back to Emily’s story, so don’t freak out, okay? This will happen every so often, as the story dictates. Thanks!

---Somewhere beyond---

I’m disappointed, but intrigued. I gave Thomas the ability to deal with this new witch, and he blew it in a bratty temper tantrum. The good news is the surprising ease with which Emily defeated him. The Game seems much more interesting now, and I think I need to change my focus and my tactics a bit.

I had thought of reactivating Thomas’ powers, but he was such a disappointment. He deserves his new life working as a sissy slave. If he only knew what their plans for him are! I enjoy watching him and his training. Incredibly funny!

Oh well. That’s only strike one. There’s a whole ballgame left to play, and I play to win.

---Emily---

I smiled, waiting to see what card Tim would play. We’d made plans for a picnic, but the weather was not cooperative. The cold rain might have been welcomed by the farmers, but it made for lousy picnicking.

No matter, the fact that we were together was all that mattered, and I was having a great time playing Uno with Tim’s parents. They were a lot of fun to be around, and maybe just a little crazy. I hadn’t laughed like this in a long time.

Tim finally played a red 8, and his Dad played a red 5. Not having a red card or a 5, I was forced to play a Draw Four on Tina, Tim’s Mom.

“Oh no! She sunk my battleship!” Tina whined.

“Wrong game, honey.” Tim’s Dad, Jack told her.

“I know, I know.” She said as she drew her cards. Her poker face was awful. I could tell I had stuck her with a lot of points, and Tim only had two cards left. Jack and I each had four, and Tina now had six.

We had been spending a lot of time her at Tim’s parent’s place in the weeks since the confrontation. It was comfortable, sitting in the sunroom, watching the falling rain. I was enjoying these chances to get to know my future in-laws. It was very relaxing after the stress of the past year or so. We’d had no incidents from the group that Thomas had led.

By the time we finished the game (Jack won), the rain had stopped, and the sun had come out, drying off the deck and presenting a great opportunity for some grilled chicken. Tina and I prepared the meat, which I took out to the boys to burn (okay, so it wasn’t really that bad. Jack was a very good grille chef, although Tim was still a rank beginner).

I chopped up some zucchini and squash into cubes, then added a few spices and wrapped it all in some aluminum foil. Jack tucked it in the back of the grille, along with several foil covered potatoes. Tina made some biscuits and put them into the oven to bake

Then we started chopping up strawberries, and Tina put them into some chilled sweet red syrup she made, then stuck them into the refrigerator.

Just before the meat was done, Tina tossed a salad, and I set the table. I brought out a platter for the meat, and soon we were sitting down to a good dinner. The vegetables turned out beautifully, and the meat was delicious. The best part was the strawberry shortcake, with fresh, hot biscuits. Yummy!

Since the rain had stopped, Tim and I decided to take a ride in his Trans Am. It sounded like fun to go to the big lake and walk along the beach. We relaxed on a blanket as we watched the sun set. As it got darker, we got a little romantic, which was a different kind of fun, but one that I really enjoyed.

We were interrupted by someone with a large stereo, having a small party at the picnic area. They had a nice bonfire going, and we thought it might be fun to see who it was. We wandered down the beach until we got close. Don Carpenter, a friend of Tim’s from the football team, saw Tim and I, and he waved us over. Debbie was with him, and it turned out that they had been looking for us.

Don and Debbie had some marshmallows and a few long forks for roasting them. A few other couples apparently had the same idea as we did, and soon we had a small party going. Most of them were kids from our school, and we had quite a bit of fun just kicking back and enjoying the fire.

All in all, life was pretty good. The fire burnt down, and Tim and I decided to head home.

Even the drive home was nice. We pulled into the driveway at my house, and spent several minutes wishing each other good night. Finally, he walked me to the door, and kissed me goodnight one more time. I waved as he drove off, then I went in. It had been a nearly perfect day.

Dad was waiting for me when I went in, which was a bit unusual. “Your Mom and Grandmother are at the hospital, a very good friend suddenly got sick and unexpectedly passed away, and they are visiting with her family.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. Do you know who it was?”

“Yeah, Mrs. Andrews. You should know her; she was a member of your coven.”

I knew her, of course. Back when I first discovered my magic, she had been my teacher in basic witchcraft lore. We had talked several times since then. I was shocked, because she was not one of our older members. I knew she was older than Mom, but younger than Grandma.

It wasn’t long until Grandma and Mom came home. They were a bit red-eyed, and I hugged them both. I could see that they were both very tired, and emotionally spent.

As I held them, I “pushed” some of my energy into them, restoring a sense of calm, so that they could relax and sleep well. I got a kiss from Grandma before she went off to bed, but Mom and I sat down in the kitchen. I allowed my power to make us a bit of tea to help Mom wind down.

As I brought the teapot and some cups to the table, Mom smiled. “You’ve become so adept at using your power.”

“Grandma and Mama Gwen have been working with both Debbie and I, and as you may know, they are very hard to please. Grandma seems determined to turn us into ‘proper ladies, fit to guide our coven into the future.’ Argh! I don’t dress that badly, and why do I need to know the correct way to set a proper table?"

“Emily, you lead this coven, and we all know that Debbie will be your second. You both need to know how to handle formal gatherings. That includes proper manners and knowing how to arrange the meeting table. You are not from some backwater coven, you are a Randall. You represent not only your family, but the coven. Protocol is important, but remember, it has it’s place. You need to know when those times are.

You also need to consider your future husband, sweetheart. His family is quite wealthy. They are good people, but they sometimes have to present themselves in social circles we don’t move in. You don’t want to embarrass yourself, do you? You will be a very important person, baby, and I don’t just want you to be comfortable. I want you to be a true leader.”

“Okay, I guess you’re right, Mom. It’s just all so new and different that it sometimes feels very frustrating.”

I was surprised when Mom began to giggle, and then laugh!

“Emily, you should be the poster child for new, different and frustrating! Sweetie, look what you’ve had to get used to just since last year? You’ve become a girl, a witch, dealt with an incredible gift of great power, dated a boy, got engaged, became the leader of the coven and handled your first challenge in exemplary fashion!

You’ve adapted to every change that life could throw at you. All you’re doing now is adding a little polish to a wonderful image of a very strong young woman. You’ve not only handled the changes, you’ve conquered them decisively!”

I thought about what she said for a moment. She was right, I'd let nothing keep me down, and those who’ve challenged me have all regretted it.

“Your right, Mom, all I’m doing is whining. I can do this, and I will make you proud of me.”

“Honey, we’re already very proud of you!” She said as she took me in her arms. “You’ve always worked so hard to deal with problems no one should ever have to deal with, and no one could ask for more than that.”

I smiled. It made me feel good to know that Mom was proud of me. I know that sounds kind of juvenile, but the approval of my family mattered to me. I had a lot to live up to.

Emily, in both of your incarnations, I have always been proud of you. Grandma said. There’s something we need to talk about, dear. When we were talking to Mrs. Andrews’ family, I got a very definite and disturbing vision.

Sweetheart, she didn’t just die.

She was murdered.

up
195 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hah!

I knew it was too easy. It sure looks like someone is gonna have to kick some booty in the near future. I wonder what sort of problems she is going to have to face, since it has just killed a friend of hers.

LOL

I kinda knew as soon as Thomas was first introduced he was just a pawn in a greater game... I KNOW I called it!

Thomas was merely cannon fodder. He was, perhaps, at best, a rook. That the piece was lost in the very first maneuver is a little more than an annoyance to the player.

Abigail Drew.

So does Emily!

It seems that the bad folks have turned serious. Thomas was only a pawn, and one that could easily be sacrificed in the great game.

Wren

"She was murdered."

Oh no. And there is some mysterious force out to get her? Things are heating up

DogSig.png

What a wonderful way.....

To lead into the next book. I have realy enjoyed reading this
Thank you

James

Wild Magic 41 (FINALLY)

OK, COOL! A whole new conundrum!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A game is afoot.

I was a bit tired when I consumed this last night so I was confused a bit by the transition to the end not the end but how did we go from what mom was saying to a note like presentation from grand-mom who was in her bedroom

The only bad question is the one not asked.

I use the italics to indicate telepathy

Grandma was listening in, and wanted to join the conversaation. Sorry, I thought I had made it clear, but maybe I just assumed.

Wren

Wha-? :D

Extravagance's picture

I mentioned on the previous chapter that someone could restore Thomas' powers, and now it's officially incorporated into this one! = )

I can't write this story, I'm too busy with... well... MegaTomboy activities. :D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Yes the Enemy COULD do it, but...

Unless something changes radically, it won't happen. The Enemy is perfectly willing to leave Thomas as is.

Wren