Wild Magic 49

Printer-friendly version

Wild Magic

My Saturday started out all right. Mom and I went into town for some groceries. She bought a little black and grey Smart car, cute as a button and does a great job for her on a day to day basis. However, when she has to get groceries for five people, it just isn’t big enough, so we used my truck.

I threw on my new tonneau cover on the back of my truck bed. I wanted to show off my new mural, anyway. Debbie drew a black witch’s hat with the name “Enchantress” written on my tailgate in fancy electric blue lettering-sooo cool!

We went to the Wal-Mart on the other side of town. A few people in town hated the place, but Dartmann’s Grocery store was always over priced, dirty and they never did anything for anybody but the Dartmann Family. Wal-Mart had better prices, better variety and quality of goods, the store was always clean and yes, they donated to our schools and sponsored the ladies softball team, along with several other local charities.

Hey, I only look stupid. If anybody checked, I’ll bet any protest came from the Dartmanns. Yeah, it’s a shame about some local business that couldn’t beat the prices, but I knew of several businesses that competed in other ways.

There were stores on our side of town, little corner stores that had always complained they couldn’t compete with Dartmann’s. They stayed in business because they were convenient, or had some sort of special product that Wal-Mart didn’t sell. Okay, so maybe they charged the same for a small jar of peanut butter as Wal-Mart charged for a very large jar, but you could walk down to the corner and get what you want. It just works out that way.

Tim says that people don’t realize, that’s the American way. If you have the best deal, you get the customers. If someone offers a better price, well, you do what you gotta do. Find some way to compete, or else. It’s called Free Enterprise. Look it up.

I think if Dartmann’s and Bancroft’s over in Beckville, and Plumbs in Grand Rapids and a bunch of other stores got together and formed a kind of co-op, they could buy in the qualities they needed to lower their prices. True, they’d still have to clean up their acts and be more efficient, but they could do it. Not that they will. It’s much easier to whine.

Okay, rant over.

While we were shopping, I saw my friend Cassie from school. She’s a pretty blonde girl, not a diva but very cute. I almost asked her out once when I was Gabe, but I found out she already had a steady guy. We weren’t friends, but we were friendly, if that makes sense.

I went over to say hi, but she acted really strange. She was wearing a long sleeved blouse, big sunglasses and a hat on a hot summer day. I could feel that she was hurting, and I was pretty sure why.

“Cassie? Hi, how’re ya doing? Um, Cass, are you okay, hon?”

“Yeah, I’m uhh, I’ll be fine. I’ve gotta get some stuff for my parents. We didn’t get everything we needed for the weekend. Hey, I’ve gotta go pick my Mom up at Delta’s-I’ll probably see ya around, okay?”

“Okay, Cass. Hey, if you or your Mom ever need to, you can drop by at our place, anytime, all right? Just in case, okay?”

“I’M ALRIGHT, okay? I don’t need anybody’s help, everything’s just...oh!” She almost ran as she took off, angrily. I felt such terrible pain from her, and in her mind I could that her Mom had been hurt, too. I also saw that it wasn’t the first time it had happened.

“What was that about?” Mom asked me. I tried to keep back my tears.

“Her Dad...ever since the economy’s tanked, her Dad’s been getting drunk, then comes home and beats on her Mom and her. He’s got so many worries, about his job, and their house and the bills... he gets drunk to unwind, but it makes him mean, and he loses control. He apologizes, but can’t seem to stop.

I told her they could come to our house if she ever needed to, but she got very upset. I just wanted to help...”

“Honey, sometimes people are too ashamed to accept help or admit they need it, even to themselves. A lot of times, they even think the whole problem is their fault, that if they had just done things a little different, behaved better, or been more perfect, the problem wouldn’t have happened.”

“But it hurts her so bad, Mom! She hates it, but she loves her Dad, even when he’s hurting her or her Mom. It hurts her so bad, and somehow it’s hurting me! I feel so much pain!” I fell into her arms and tried to hold back the tears as best I could.

“Oh honey!” Mom held me and tried to get me to relax. Elisabette helped Mom to finally calm me down.

Elisabette? What was she doing here?

“I came when I felt your anguish, sweetheart. Part of your training makes you more empathic, so you feel strong emotions much more intensely. You also broadcast them to anyone sensitive to that, like your Grandmother and I.”

I got myself under control, then I asked Elisabette and Mom to excuse me, and I rushed to the bathroom. I cast an invisibility spell, then I teleported myself to Delta’s Liquor store. Cassie was helping her Mom get into their car, and I could see that she looked awful.

I kinda stopped their time for a minute and touched both of them. I accelerated their healing, and in her Mom’s case I repaired her broken arm and rib. She would still be sore for a couple of hours, but by then both of them would be feeling much better. I backed away and teleported back to the restroom, then stepped out and washed my hands. In all, it probably took me less than five minutes.

I walked out of the restroom then went back to Mom, feeling much better that I had done something to help, but knowing it was only temporary.

“Well done,” said Elisabette when I returned, and Mom looked at me with pride. “I was able to show your Mother what you were doing. I am very impressed. You were able to help them with causing them shame or feeling obligated to you. Very subtle, I approve, and I’m proud of you.”

I blushed at her praise, but I admitted that it felt as though I’d only given them a short reprieve. “They’re going to get hurt again, unless I do something, but I can’t interfere with their lives. It’s very frustrating!”

“Sometimes, dealing with other people and their strange emotional ties can drive you crazy, but you still generally have to respect their feelings.

“Uhm, Generally?” I asked her.

“In extreme situations, I don’t consider peoples feelings, I save lives. I don’t care if they hate me afterwards. In that kind of a situation, I do all I can, regardless.”

“People get angry because you saved them?”

“Oh yes. Never underestimate the stupidity of religious beliefs.”

I thought about that for a while. Is there a way I could help Cassie and her family without their knowledge? I came up with several different solutions, but the best one I came up with was the easiest. I arranged to bump into Cassie’s dad, and I gave him a reaction to alcohol. I reasoned that he only became violent when he was drunk, so I took his ability to become drunk away from him.

He made a valiant effort, but no matter what he drank, if there was any alcohol in it, he wasn’t able to keep it down, but became violently ill. He ended up returning home, still depressed, but sober. No one was assaulted that night, anyway.

I know that some will think I should have come down hard and punished him for what he did, or that I should have made him somehow understand what he was doing to his family. I guess I don’t see that as something I need to be involved with. I’m not a judge or some kind of avenging angel superhero, although I really think I’d look great in some slinky costume.

I kind of kept an eye on them for a couple of days, just to make sure the violence didn’t start up again. I don’t know what they decided to do, just that they were talking, not fighting, so I got back to my own business. I still had a summer vacation to finish, and important decisions to make about my future. Should I go to the lake and work on my tan, or go to the mall and check out the new movies. You know, the really important stuff.

I was walking down the street when I heard a local radio host complain about “some idiot kid who claims he’s transgendered, or some such crap.”

Suddenly, there were two loud explosions, and the station went off the air. Actually, there were 3 explosions. The station had an electrical surge, and everything sort of...melted. The antenna for the station broke 2 support lines, and their antenna fell into a farmer’s field, narrowly missing several cows, and boy, was the farmer gonna be mad! And finally, the radio host had a major episode of explosive diarrhea, and was now sitting at a desk facing a smoking microphone with his pants completely ruined, along with his socks, shoes and underwear. Oh, and just wait until he notices what has just become much shorter...and semi permanently limp.

He’s lucky I didn’t give him breasts.

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wild Magic 49

Wonder if that local radio host has any contacts in the Magic Community? And how will his physical be explained medically?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Umm, Stanman?

You don't think he would TELL anyone he's got a short, limp and useless member, do ya? And anyone who knew someone in the magical community would know how to shut up and not say stupid things. I just had to mess SOMEONE up...to be honest, I was thinking about Rush...I'd love to give him a rear to match his problem with verbal diarrhea!

Wren

I too thought it was one of

I too thought it was one of the first two legs first. But I guess if that stays limp... well, I guess he might talk to the doctors. He would want help to make it non limp after all.
Your muse was inspired by rage, I guess... Anyway, I can understand why you were pissed off. On the other hand one might wonder about the difference in reaction between the drunken father and the idiot on radio...

Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

Different reactions

I personally see it like this: The father is a disgusting, low-down, despicable ass. OTOH, he is also an alcoholic, and alcoholism is a disease. Treat the disease and you are well on the way to treating the symptoms. It would seem that there might be something salvageable in this wreckage of what once was a man. But I'd still advise mom and daughter to get far - far away.

The radio announcer, OTOH, is a bigot, pure and simple. And the radio station knowingly puts him on the air. No extenuating circumstances, they needed to be "spanked", and spanked hard!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Heh heh heh.

One nice thing about being a writer is...

The end of this chapter!

I'm glad you were able to find a constructive way to take out your frustrations, Wren.

Kudo's for the chapter, of course. This time double! ;)

I kudo'd your oopsies double post too... It'll prolly get taken away when someone takes down the double...

Abigail Drew.

but you left out the part where

NoraAdrienne's picture

Wally World underpays their workers, doesn't supply medical coverage for anyone but management (who pay through the nose) and hand out information packets to workers telling them how to apply for benefits from county and state sources which any real company does give workers...

NYC has refused Wally World permission to open a store in a depressed neighborhood.. because they know it will only add more people to the health trough.

Wanna go there?

You actually want to use NYC as a moral compass? Really? Not saying I'm in love with Walmart, I avoid shopping there as much as possible. But I don't need Bloomberg's minions to decide for me what stores I shop in or how big a drink I buy. Conversely, if he allowed WW in, there would be more people off the unemployment rolls and more sales tax to collect, and a cheaper place to shop for the poorest people. I shop local stores as much as possible, particularly local-owned stores, but then I have the option to choose. For now. The poor can not afford to be so choosy. Buying local and paying more is one thing when you have a choice and a reason to. Buying local and paying more is a whole different thing when you are unemployed and have no choice.

I try not to let my membership in "an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals" blind me to reality. These people need help and having a dependable job is probably the biggest help they can get. Having money you earned instead of having to take a handout from the government not only reduces the load on government programs it also builds pride. "Didn't anybody give this to me, I earned it!"

I do have to wonder, though, if working at Walmart is such a bad deal, why would anybody leave a better-paying job with benis to work at Walmart and have to depend on the "health trough"? They wouldn't! The people that would go to work at Walmart would be those that currently have nothing - no job, no healthcare, nada, zip. Like me, right now. With several severe health issues plaguing me and no income, that Walmart job is starting to look pretty good. I may be there myself in a month or so.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I worked there until...

I became disabled. Just before I left, they changed things so that every single shift worked on skeleton crews and had to do at least 50% more work than normal (and normal was plenty, let me assure you). They then, a while after I left, set caps on all payroll including management. Once they reach that, rather low, cap, they will never receive another raise unless their cap ends up below minimum wage. So, the government decides when they get raises from then on.

You can retire from WW at 15 years. I know of at least eight managers locally who have quit with over 14 years in but less than the 15 as Bentonville HQ literally drove them out by making their jobs almost impossible to do or putting more and more restrictions on what they were allowed to do but still making them responsible for whatever went wrong when they COULDN'T correct the situation.

WW also claims not to be anti-union. I can tell you from first hand experience: they have classes in Bentonville for managers that teach them the best ways to avoid unionization. Ever see the Girl Scouts selling cookies at the doors? Or Vet programs hawking donations at the door? Or religious organizations (Christian, only, by the way) begging at the front doors? Well, WW has a policy of no solicitation within 50 feet of the front door that is only enforced against union organizers. Also, if the organizers still stay 50 feet away, a manager is assigned to the parking lot to take names of any "associates" who actually talk to them or take flyers from them. Those "associates" soon find themselves getting shorter and shorter shifts and dirtier and dirtier jobs until they can't take it any more. What few stores they have that are unionized were forced into it by court rulings.

They also only keep schedules for three weeks in advance. That three weeks will have you working some mornings and some evenings with absolutely no pattern to them. If you want to work a second job because WW pay is so low, you better be able to find a place that will schedule you around the WW schedule because the schedule is done by computer in Bentonville and none of the store managers have the authority to change it.

Did you know it's a firing offense to break WW policy of greeting customers with a minimum of a smile and a happy verbal acknowledgement? My local store was built six years ago and, guess what! Every "associate" greets me properly and treats me like a human being and offers help since I use one of the very few working handicapped carts. Management? In the entire six years, ONE manager greeted me ONE time and I never saw her in store again. I even stopped at two managers chatting to ask a question. Neither one even looked at me until they finished their talk and then one turned to me and said "What?". Not "May I help you", just "What?". I told him to forget it, I'd ask someone who actually worked for a living and drove off. Ever since then, he STILL won't follow policy. If he sees me, he glares at me and walks away.

All their cheaper stuff is just that; cheaper, not less expensive. At the stores here, I HAVE to go to other supermarkets because they've changed the products I like to buy to their own branded products most of which are made in China. WW is one of the largest importers of Chinese goods barring high end electronics, etc. Check most of the labels in your local store. I have a select few things that I actually buy at WW because their prices are better, their made in the USofA and the store is in between my normal grocery and my home. I pick up the few items at WW, go to my grocery and head home without worrying about frozen stuff because I never buy that at WW ... they don't carry my preferences anymore. Too many of my favorite items have been replaced by "Great Value" brand stuff (which, in their case, is an oxymoron).

Hugs,
Erica

Which is true until you realize

That these same Grocery stores who complain about Wally world don't pay their employers any better, aren't union, and have a huge turnover because they just don't care about their workers. If I remember right that heath insurance problem will be changing very soon. Those local stores that complain about Wal-Mart don't have hiring issues (mostly because they don't hire anyone but family members). Say what you like about Wally Mart, but they aren't begging for workers-there's a line for the jobs they offer. My father hates Wal-Mart because of the death of the small local merchant, but really, those small local merchants, while romantic and retro, were nowhere near as good for the local economy as Wal-Mart.

The walmart that was built

The walmart that was built just north of us is in what was a lower income area (it's being upgraded). The problem with them is that I HATE going there after 6 PM or so. You can go in and fill a shopping cart faster than you can check out. I've even called and yelled at the manager for his poor staffing habits - his response? That there weren't enough people applying for work, especially in the evening. I basically implied he was a liar, considering I know the area.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

but you left out the part where

NoraAdrienne's picture

Wally World underpays their workers, doesn't supply medical coverage for anyone but management (who pay through the nose) and hand out information packets to workers telling them how to apply for benefits from county and state sources which any real company does give workers...

NYC has refused Wally World permission to open a store in a depressed neighborhood.. because they know it will only add more people to the health trough.

Someone needs to learn ...

... to always use her powers wisely, the way she did with Cassie and her family. The antenna falling punished the station owner and scared the farmer (and his cows) for something that neither of them was responsible for. Also, the radio host will learn NOTHING from her tantrum because he doesn't know WHY all of that happened to him. Without the "why", he'll believe it was all just a run of bad luck, including his sudden unexplained limpness, and as a result become more angry, more hateful, and bitter about his life. As a result, he'll most probably become more hostile to those he doesn't understand than he already is. How much better would it have been to show him what it feels like to be transgendered instead of throwing a hissy fit? Maybe teach him through a series of dreams in which he's forced to experience what he denied was real with his stupid comment?

Bottom line is, she has tremendous power – the power to do pretty much whatever she wants. She really should learn to use it wisely, or become the kind of person who doesn't deserve the power she's been given.

As funny and satisfying as it might have been, it's not good for her growth as an individual or as a magic user. And yes, I know she's only a fictional character, but so far her character development has been pretty consistent. She's had some very wise folks around her helping her learn how to use her magic well. It would be nice for her to get a lecture from her Mom and Grandmom about why what she did just then accomplished nothing good at all.

Randa

I agree. It was still fun to

I agree.

It was still fun to read and I'm quite sure very therapeutic for Wren to write what DID happen.

Maybe she -should- have given him boobs, and more! Temporarily give him the whole female works and force him to live as a FtM for a week...

What she did was irresponsible and reckless abuse of her powers, yes. It also didn't really do any good. It also at least did no real harm. Lots of property damage, but no people or animals were hurt that badly. I can't say the same thing about my rages, can you? And I don't even have any magic...

Yeah... the idiot got crap in his pants and a limp member... That was the most bodily harm that came of it all though. And knowing our heroine, she'll calm down in a bit and realize her errors and un-limp that member. Nothing she should do about the rest. Though I imagine she -could- go back in time..... she shouldn't. That'd just make an even bigger mess.

Abigail Drew.

I disagree. The farmer will

I disagree. The farmer will be compensated by the radio station owner - who _is_ responsible for the bigoted bastard who is on the airwaves.

The only downside is that there won't be an apparent causality for the owner to be able to identify that the bigoted remarks were responsible for the 'accident'. The bigot? Well, I don't know. Maybe he'll take the sudden 'problem' right after the remark as being a judgement - we can't tell, it's a bit part, and it's unlikely the guy would go out and beat his wife over it. It'd be unlikely he _has_ much of a wife :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Thanks, Randa...

It's what I wanted to say, expressed much better.

Eric

she won't solve anything

Making that girl's father ill when he drinks won't solve anything in the long run. Helping him to find a better paying job might. Esentially he's got a problem with anger (even if it only happens when he's drunk), he needs to work through his own problems.

But see, that was my point.

I don't feel that was any of Emily's business. She wanted to stop the beatings and the endless cycle that they could not mbreak on their own.she's not a judge or social worker, just someone who wanted to stop her friend from being hurt without being vengeful (and yes, I've heard from someone else that she hurt him by imposing a restriction on his drunkenes (!) as though he had every right to hurt his family). Let's face it, if we follow the idea of her giving him a better job, why not just give him a winning lottery ticket?

Yes, the destruction at the radio station mwas over the top. As Abigail said, it was a fun way for me to get rid of the anger I was dealing with. Hey, my first impulse was to put him on top of the antenna. Guess where the tip of the antenna was going?

Wren