Wild Magic 51

Printer-friendly version

Wild Magic 51

I was stupid. I let down my guard, and I almost lost the most important person in my life.

Tim and I were heading for my friend’s orchard, cruising comfortably down the highway with the cruise control set on 70, and we had some really great songs playing from the mp3. I was holding Tim’s hand, just relaxing and enjoying the ride.

There were only a few cars around us, and everything was great when I felt a powerful magical presence and we were suddenly flying through the air sideways and upside down. I barely got a shield up around Tim and I before the car hit the highway and rolled several times. By the time we came to a stop, only the seats were left undamaged. I was so concerned about Tim that I didn’t notice I had a compound fracture of my lower right arm. Tim was unconscious, and I could tell he had a broken leg and internal injuries. I may have been in shock at first, because the next thing I remember was being loaded in the ambulance. I saw a helicopter taking off and realized Tim was in being taken to the trauma unit. My heart dropped and I panicked.

*MOM!* I screamed telepathically.

*Emily? My God! You're going to deafen me! Are you okay?*

*No Mom, we were attacked! I’m in an ambulance on my way to Bronson Hospital, and Tim’s being Lifeflighted there. Can you check on him for me? I can’t just pop out of here right now.*

*Emily, are you hurt?*

*Yes, I have at least a broken arm, and I’m having a hard time focusing my healing abilities.*

*Do you have your Grandma’s amulet?*

I felt for it, but it was gone!

*No, Mom, I don’t know where it is.*

*Try to relax, I’ll meet you in the ER when you get there.*

*Please hurry! Would you call Tim’s parents, please?*

*We’ll take care of it- relax. I’m on my way!*

The ambulance pulled into the hospital ER area. I could see the helicopter sitting on its landing pad. I reached out for Tim, and I could feel him, but he must have still been unconscious, or I was being messed with. The ambulance guys turned me over to a couple of nurses who took my blood pressure and performed a quick triage, I was actually doing pretty well other than the pain, but the nurse, a fairly good looking man, said that I had to see the Doctor first, and that he would be in shortly.

I laid back and closed my eyes, trying to get my healing ability to work, and I could feel it, just not at full strength. I kept trying to focus, and suddenly my mind seemed to clear, and I knew that Mom had arrived. She handed me an amulet and then touched my forehead. Blessed sweet relief!

My pain stopped and my arm began to knit itself together. Mom told me not to go so fast, that the doctor would need to put a cast on my arm before I could fully heal it. I saw the wisdom in that. A nurse walked into my room, but in between the opening of my curtain and her entry my Mom vanished.

I knew she was with Tim, and doing her best to help him. I could feel her energy flow into him, so I opened a small "window" and passed my energy to her. I felt her surprise, and then her talent took my energy and applied it where it would be most effective. I tried to open a channel to him.

*Tim?* All I saw was an unfocused grayness. I tried again, hoping to wake him.

*Tim? Please?* Mom has always said a psychic injury is the worst. I took my feelings and tried to shock him awake. I tried to put as much feeling as I could into my telepathic touch. I love him so much!.

*Tim? Honey, please, answer me. Just relax and open your mind.*

*Mom? Is he all right?*

*I’m not sure, honey. I’ve told you before, the mind can be extremely difficult. We’ve healed the most life threatening injuries, but we can’t heal everything too quickly-that would attract too much attention to the magic.

You two have already had a miraculous escape from death with surprisingly little injury. How far can we push this? I know you’re concerned, but I think it’s just a matter of time. He is healing, but we have to be patient.*

How can I be patient? I’m a teen girl, we’re not built to be patient!

I decided to experiment. I had never tried astral travel, but I laid back and tried to project myself to the crash site. Wow, this was easy! I looked around trying to sense magical energy. I thought I would try to follow the slight trace of wild magic. I found my astral body traveling to an office building not far from the hospital. I tried to focus for a fight, but the office where the energy originated was empty, without even furniture in the room.

Damn!

I felt something strange, and found myself back in the hospital, where a nurse was doing her best to wake me. I sat up and the nurse assisted the doctor to create a cast for my arm. He said he wanted to keep me over night, just for observation, so they sent me up to a room.

As I was getting settled on the bed, another nurse came in, introduced herself and told me she would return in a few minutes to get my information. I laid back and decided to try to reach Tim again.

*Tim? Are you awake yet?*

I thought I could hear something, but was it just wishful thinking?

*Please, Tim, wake up, honey.*

*Emily?*

*Tim! Oh my God, I was so worried!*

*Oww...what happened?*

*I think we were attacked...what do you remember?*

*My car...lost control...where are you?*

*I’m in my room here at the hospital. I’m not sure where you are, but my Mom should be nearby.*

He suddenly seemed more aware.

*Were you hurt? Are you okay?*

*Yes, I’m okay, I just broke my arm. I was able to get a shield up around the two of us, but there was a lot of damage and we got a little tossed.*

*How about the car?*

*I’m sorry, Tim, it happened too fast, I couldn’t save us and the car. It’s beyond totaled, honey.*

*You did the right thing, sweetheart. It was just a car, but you saved our lives. Your Mom just came into the room.*

*Okay, I’ll talk to you in a little while, I need to rest. I love you so much, Tim.*

*Get some rest, baby. My parents just came in the room, and Dad's not happy. I love you, too.*

I closed my eyes, but I couldn’t sleep. I had so much going through my mind, and I was so angry! They’ve killed my friend, tried to kill Mama Gwen, and now they’ve tried to kill Tim and I. I tried to call out to Debbie, and I woke her up.

*What’s up, Emily?*

*Are you okay, Deb?*

*Well, somebody woke my up at 3 in the morning, but otherwise fine. Where are you, you feel far away?*

*I’m in Bronson hospital in Kalamazoo. Tim and I were attacked.*

*What! I’m on my way...*

*Stay there, we’re safe until morning. Get some sleep, I’ll talk to you in a few hours, I was just worried about you.*

*I love you, talk to ya later, okay?*

*Cool, love ya too. Night, Deb.*

I think Mom went back home to get some sleep. I know I would have enjoyed it. Just as I’m almost out, a guy comes in to take a blood sample. I dropped off, and a little later, the nurse shows up to get my blood pressure, pulse and temp. I’ve been in the hospital enough to know that this is normal, but wow, I was just so tired!

I finally dragged my butt out of bed a little after 10AM. I did a quick check. Tim was already awake and feeling much better. They had moved him into another room on the floor below mine. My mom was on her way in the Smart, and planning to take me home.

I was interrupted by a police officer who interviewed me about our accident. I related everything as best I could (leaving my magical shielding and the feeling of magic I had out of it)

I had my breakfast, talked to my doctor, who said they were kicking me out, setting me free, and giving me the old heave ho! I had to wait until all the paperwork was done, but he thought it wouldn’t be long. I decided to gown up and go to see Tim. Two of the police officers were there. He was in a good mood, and his kisses were wonderful. They had him in a cast, and I carefully took a seat next to him on his bed.

"The two of you are extremely fortunate, not only in that you survived the accident, but that two different people witnessed the accident, and they both reported exactly what both of you have told us, that the car suddenly launched itself into the air, came down sideways and rolled. They also said that they were sure you were not speeding or driving recklessly. In my opinion, this was caused by some unavoidable freak natural phenomenon, and that is what will be in my report."

They explained how to get copies of the report, and they left their business cards with us.

I gave Tim a kiss and I quietly assured him that he didn’t need to get too used to the cast.

“Well darn! I thought I had an excuse to be lazy for a while.”

“No way, bud. You’re almost healed already; we just won’t mention that to the doctors. I’m very sorry about your car, if I had just been a little faster...”

“I’ve already told you, don’t worry about the car. With that police report, my insurance should cover the accident, and we can spend some time car shopping. How does a new black Camaro sound?”

“Those are so sexy! But is it really practical? Winter’s coming soon, and your T/A was a real pain on slippery roads.”

“You’re right, how would you feel about a big black Jeep Wrangler?”

“Quite possibly my second choice for a sexy vehicle. Jeeps look tough just sitting there.

“We’ll go check one out, as soon as I get out of here. I hear you get to leave today?”

“Yeah, Mom’s on her way with some clothes she thinks I can wear over my cast. Of course, as soon as I can, I’m losing the cast. I hate that I have to wear it at all, but I can’t let anyone know I’m a witch...”

“I know, honey. I have to talk to you about that.” I looked at him, as he took a breath and
steadied his resolve. “We have to tell my Dad about the magic. If I go home and take my cast off, he’s going to wonder about it. Besides, I don’t like keeping this from him.”

“I agree, I’ve never been happy about that. Will they be here today?”

“They went to a motel for the night, but I expect them any time.” Tim explained

“Then we’ll tell him today. I hope he’ll be all right with it.”

“I don’t think there will be any problem, honey. Dad’s pretty cool.”

I like Jack, Tim’s dad. I’m pretty sure he likes me, so I feel okay telling him.

My mom got there first, and she told me the nurses were just waiting on the doctor to sign some papers before I could go. She brought me some clothes so I had something to wear, since my old clothes had already gone home and were in the laundry.

I took her bag and borrowed Tim’s bathroom so I could change. Mom had made it easy, some fresh underwear (No no, it’s Lingerie! I’m never gonna get used to that), some shorts and one of my old football jerseys, which was huge on me! When I came back out, Tim’s parents had arrived. They had asked about taking Tim home, so the Doctor was filling out a release.

Tim looked at me, kind of letting me know it was time...

“Mr, Davies, um, Jack, I need to explain something...”

So I told him the whole story, from the beginning. I just used Debbie’s approach. To my surprise, he suddenly seemed to get agitated and without saying anything, he angrily stomped out of the room.

up
200 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

surviving the attack

wow.

And why do I have a feeling that Mr. Davies' reaction is not natural?

DogSig.png

Good Story

Elsbeth's picture

Yay a new Wild Magic, interesting reaction . Wonder if its because he is not overly fond of witches or something else hmmmmm :)

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Imagine that

His son almost killed by something he knew didn't exist, and because the new girlfriend was with him. That or he knows a whole lot more than he's letting on.

The very meekest cannot be at

The very meekest cannot be at peace if his ill neighbour will not let him rest.
Why can't those idiots let them at peace? They already have superpowers, what more do they want? I don't get it.

Anyway, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Wild Magic 51

Could Tim's dad know ho caused the attack?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Parents worry

about their children greatly and often times worry too much. More so they don't want to let go and let their children lead their own lives.

If I had children of my own and learned after they had an accident and learned that a witch with super powers was with one of my children during an accident I would also be furious since it would mean that my own child was in great danger on a daily basis!

But, the Dad may very well have other thoughts, who knows!?

Great chapter BTW.

Hugs

Vivien