Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1522

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1522
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

When I recovered, an hour or so later plus a cuppa, I discovered that the school choir had done the Faure Requiem at Easter, and as Sister Maria wanted the school represented at the funeral, she had them practicing it for the days leading up to their gig at the crematorium.

Something I hadn’t bargained on was the press being there–well, the story of Billie’s death was in the local rag–so I suppose it was to be expected. The reporter, a young woman was blown away by the choral ending to the service and spoke with Sister Maria afterwards.

I saw the article in the paper the following day when Stella came home with it.

It was a tragedy, a young woman out with her mother for a bike ride when she lost control of her bicycle going down the notorious Portsdown hill crashed and died from her injuries.

In an essentially non-religious service, where the eulogies were full of lost potential for the young deceased, the whole thing took on another dimension of spirituality when young Billie’s schoolmates, in the shape of the school choir performed the ‘In Paradisium’ from Faure’s Requiem giving an added poignancy to the proceedings, making everyone break out in tears and goosebumps.

Sister Maria, the headmistress of the school, St Claire’s Convent School for Girls, said that Billie was such a lovely girl and that everyone liked her, and the choir jumped at the chance to say farewell to her in a choral manner. She added that Lady Cameron, Billie’s mother, had done much to help the school hardship fund, which awards bursaries to less well off pupils. Lady Cameron has presented prizes and entertained the parents and students with talks about her research on dormice and also about the making of her documentary about one of Britain’s shyest and cutest mammals. She had also performed in the recent production of Macbeth at the school, playing the part of Lady Macbeth.

The Camerons are great supporters of the school, having three other girls attending there and it appears the school is an equally good supporter of the Cameron family, demonstrating it in such an exquisite form and making everyone who was there come away remember the funeral for a very long time and of course, remembering the unfortunate young woman in whose name it was performed. Requiescat in pace, Billie.'

By normal standards, the author was both more erudite and accurate in her reporting and thank goodness there was no mention of miracles or absence of the same.

Going back to the aftermath of the funeral, Henry, who I hadn’t noticed at the funeral, arranged for refreshments at the nearest pub, which had a function room–thankfully. Somehow, Simon and Henry had half carried me back to the car and let me rest there in peace and quiet. When I recovered, I was taken to the refreshments, to say thanks to Sister Maria and the girls for their magnificent rendition of the requiem. Okay, I’ve heard better from professional choirs, but the poignancy was memorable and the motivation very laudable.

I tidied myself up as best I could in Henry’s Mercedes and was led by Simon to the function room at the pub. The whole place, which was buzzing with conversation, went quiet as we entered, me clinging to Simon’s arm and probably looking every bit as much of a wreck as I felt.

I was led around the room by Simon, shaking hands and thanking everyone who’d attended. Everyone said that they would miss her and there were many red looking eyes glistening with fresh tears. I’d never realised how much people liked her, she was such a quiet thing at home–but then with Trish about–most people would seem quiet.

After a quick cup of tea, I thanked everyone for coming, and Henry took the children and me home. The donations in lieu of flowers raised several hundred pounds and we had that sent to Mermaids, a self help group for the families of transgender children.

On the same day as the newspaper report of the funeral, which would be the day after it, Sister Maria came to see me. She wanted to know how I was–I showed her–a total mess, and to see how the other children were dealing with it.

They were less buoyant than usual but certainly not as depressed as I felt, which is normal–children are egocentric and as such see the world as orbiting their suns–whereas parents are aware of the multiple galaxies represented by their children. In one of mine, a significant star had gone out, and it showed.

Sister Maria presented me with a bouquet of flowers, which Trish immediately snaffled and went to arrange, almost before I could say thank you to their generous donor.

“Thank you again for the choir, it set the thing off magnificently. What a shame the only person who didn’t hear it was the one they performed it for.” I felt tears in my eyes.

“Ah well that’s where I’m at an advantage–I believe she did hear it as she ascended up to heaven.”

“I won’t argue with you, Sister Maria, but I think we’ll have to agree to differ, nice as your belief is–it still doesn’t resonate with me.”

“You’re entitled to your beliefs as much as anyone else, Lady Cameron. We stopped sending the inquisition round many years ago, you know.”

“Please don’t get me started on that one, and for goodness sake don’t mention it to Simon.”

“Why? Is he a scholar of the mediaeval period?”

“Not as far as I know, but he is of Monty Python, and one word about it will get you the whole sketch performed from memory.”

“Oh dear.”

“Sadly, a case of arrested development,” I offered, and she chuckled. She stayed for a cup of tea by which time, Trish had turned her offering of flowers into a wet mess on the kitchen floor–she dropped the vase lifting it off the draining board. Julie helped her to clean it up and Trish started again with her creative floral task.

She produced the second vase and we both commented upon her creative genius and how beautiful the flowers looked. I suppose both were actually true, the flowers were lovely and Trish’s arrangement showed that she had some bent for arranging them.

Puddin’ walked by muttering in robotic style, “Oh poo, I dropped it,” which she had obviously heard emanating from the kitchen and her elder cousin.

“Does she always do this?” asked Sister Maria, referring to Puddin’s ability to act like a mobile Dictaphone.

“Not always, but it’s quite common, and like most children, she only does it when any of us say something we don’t really want anyone else to hear.”

“Isn’t it ever thus,” sighed Sister Maria and quoted a few experiences of her own with either her sister’s children or those relating to children she was teaching. Her stories were very funny, especially the way she told them, and for a short time I forgot my grief and enjoyed myself.

She rose to leave and we hugged. “If you need to talk, feel free to drop by the school anytime,” she said, and I thanked her.

“Don’t forget, that the best way to remember Billie is to get on with your life and those of your children. Like Mrs Cunningham said, “Billie’s time with you was the happiest of her entire life. You did your best for her and she appreciated it. Now do your best for the others and for yourself. You’re lucky, you have a large family which you can actually afford to spoil. Do so, but don’t tell anyone I said so.” She winked, and left leaving me feeling a little better, but still with a residual sadness which I had a feeling was going to be with me for a long time.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

(For those who haven’t seen the Spanish Inquisiton sketch, try the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o )

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Angha,

ALISON

Beautifully done,as always.

ALISON

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1522

Cathy has yet to grieve over Billie. What will she do when the Glory pays a visit?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That thought

really frightens me. What will Cathy say to a deity who has in the past threatened her family?

Turning the corner

It looks as though the visit from Sister Maria was exactly what Cathy needed. Obviously she's going to remember and grieve Billie's passing routinely from now on, but the conversation and shared jokes towards the end are a step towards the proverbial standing up, shaking the dust off, then trying to ease back into something approaching a normal life.

Perhaps wisely, Shekinah hasn't paid a visit1 - perhaps via Cathy the deity is starting to develop a greater understanding of humanity, or at least stubborn individuals that refuse to bow down and worship on command.

 
1) If you need reminding, think back to the aftermath of the deaths of the Drummond family and Shekinah's major faux pas.
 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Cathy's Recovery

littlerocksilver's picture

Of course, things will never be the same; however, Cathy's strength is showing through the wall of this tragedy. We must see that some good can even come from something as tragic as this. I think all involved will gain strength. I feel that all the children will understand a bit more how precious life is. Thank you for handling this crisis the way you did.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

now thats silly

Thinking someone had not seen that skit. Though I did take the opportunity to watch it again. been a tissue intensive set of days and handled so well.

8 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 9 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Children are definitely as suns and galaxies

Your metaphor relating children and families to suns and galaxies was so well put. I had not heard it before and as a grandparent I can see how our children have their worlds relvolving around them while as parents we see how the suns relate together to make galaxies. From some of the images taken from the Hubble telescope, you can see your children being born and revolving around themselves. Check it out.

Angharad, you continue to weave a tale that is so personal that it continues to tear at my heart. You get to me each day as I read my "Daily Dormouse." Thank you.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Much Love,

Valerie R

Not much more to say

I don't think I could take much more of this. It is just so sad. With regard to Shekinah though, whether Cathy believes or not, I hope she gets to get one special dream to say goodbye to Billie until the next turn on the wheel.

Kim

I was thinking on similar

I was thinking on similar lines. If Shekinah were to return with Billie it would be interesting to see if Billie had become the girl she wished to be. That way, Shekinah would have fulfilled the threat to take a child yet give Cathy a chance to say goodbye to a Billie that was now complete.

Sad

I'm sad that you killed off billie,while I'm quite sure you had your reasons,it's still sad. I'd really hoped that it was just a bad dream that cathy was having but it appears I was wrong.

real life

Angharad, the last two chapters were more about real life rather then fiction ,and you do it with feeling and compassion and as one of your fans it is really appreciated , thank you for letting us all down in a gentle way.

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Bad Choice

You are a fantastic writer, I have been a daily reader of your story from the begining. But, your decision to do this to Billie was completely wrong. I see no point in it. You are such a good writer, loss of one reader may not make any difference, but I cannot continue reading this. Best wishes..........

I'm sad to see..

I'm sad to see readers rejecting this wonderful work on this point. People were angry at J.K. Rawlings over the death of Sirius Black and then even more angry over Dumbledore. What'd she do? Killed off Dobbie, one of the twins and Snape!

An author's decision to kill off a major character is never an easy one - specially one who is liked and such. They do it for many reasons, and rarely capriciously. Our author (and her editorial team) have investigated many difficult topics with the story - death of parents, friends among them. Her choice of a child is a worthy one. She's looked at other children's deaths - those of acquaintances or even strangers. I think it is a worthy topic. To be honest, it hit me really hard. It seemed to release all the emotions I'd kept bottled up when cousins/friends lost children over the years. (Something that was probably long delayed.) But, I think it better to face this in a story which we can expect to get happy again soon, rather than in real life.

Anne

Choice and life

I as a reader am not happy to see Billie dieing in this story. However, this is something that happens all the time in real life. While her death has been difficult for all of us readers to deal with I think that the aftermath has been well done and quite possibly does show that killing off an important character was the right move. The death of a child is always difficult to deal with especially when it hits so close to home.

When I was stationed at Ft Riley KS a young girl was my next door neighbor. Her father was an MP stationed there and her mother was a Korean (my ex-wife is also Korean.) This little girl was about my son's age. One day I came home from work and noticed the girl had a cast on her arm. Within 4 months she was dead. Her father after the investgation was arrested for her death. I was involved in the Article 32 hearing (military version of the Grand Jury,) to determine if there were enough facts to Court-martial him for negligent homicide. This event hit very close to my heart because this could have easily happened to my children (my wife was emotionally and physically abusive to our son and neglectful to our daughter.) And, yes, my neighbor was convicted and sent to Ft Leavenworth KS (Military prison.)

The Inquisition, What a Show...

Personally, I prefer the Mel Brooks version of the Inquisition from History of the World, Part I.

Quite a nice and thoughtful episode. Events show you have too much experience with funerals and their aftermath... As with the earlier bits, this feels very IMMEDIATE.

Thank you for sharing,
Anne

Death of a Character

littlerocksilver's picture

First of all, and above everything else, this story is fiction. It is so well written that many of us forget that. Why do people get so emotionally involved in soap operas? They do give us emotional outlets for events in a fantasy world. Thank the goddess things have not reached the state of The Running Man or the spectacles of the Roman Empire, although we seem to be getting close with some of the fighting spectacles that are currently popular.

In my third novel I allowed the main character to die. It certainly didn'y make me (or the readers) happy; however, it was necessary to avoid some of the cliched endings I read in many of the stories published here and elsewhere. My character didn't die in the memories of the other characters, and her life was important in the development of other characters for many years. I was able to work in previously unknown things about her life in other novels.

Hopefully, Billie will not have died in vain. Her life meant something about the struggle that so many of us can relate to.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

As a main character,

she will be missed. With the blue light, she may never be completely out of the story.

Billie

Ang, I think You must have had a hard time writing the last couple of chapters. They tore My heart out and I am having a hard time keeping it in My mind that this is a story.If any one had that happen to them as a parent it would devastate them Your writing of this story was well written but I could hardly read it through the tears. Goodbye Billie, Blessed Be.

This all

brings back so many memories of when my sister died at the age of 17, and almost the same way, hers was a motorcycle being the main difference. It has been close to 50 years now, and the pain never leaves, I can't begin to imagine how much worse it is for a parent. My father barely survived the experience. So wonderfully written, with so much pathos, emotion and skill, you amaze me Ang.