Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1454

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1454
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I hate being sick–you know literally, not being ill, although some people use that as a euphemism for puking their hearts up. I had just been sick, disgorged contents of stomach, vomited, had a rainbow or Technicolor yawn, hueed, upchucked, been ill–I expect you get the idea. My head was pounding, felt like that bloody blacksmith had come back from lunch.

I had no idea where I was nor who was helping me–you see–well I couldn’t, I couldn’t open my eyes. So I could have been anywhere–aboard the Tardis for all I knew, though with my luck, Titanic would have been more likely. I heard someone calling ‘Doctor’ so it could definitely be the Tardis–that’s okay then, I hope he’s got his sonic wotsit so he can sort out my head–feels like I have more than a screw loose, my whole stupid head feels loose.

“Gonna be sick,” I heard my voice say and it made me jump.

“Well don’t do it all over me this time, Lady Cameron.”

“Who’s this Lady Cameron? The doctor? I’m Charlie Watts, wannabe biologist.”

I felt my stomach heave again and the protests, “No, in the pot you silly woman.”

Woman, what woman? Maybe she’s in the next bed–I assume I’m in hospital–I’m lying down and I don’t think it’s on the floor. People around me–who–God knows but they seem to be trying to help me. One of them is a doctor–hospital is favourite. At least my brain is sort of functioning.

“Okay, rest there a minute luv, we’re going to send you for some X-rays, you’ve taken quite a bash on the noggin.”

That might explain the head ache–hang about–he just called me luv? Must be gay, oh well, I don’t care–just wanna sleep, get rid of this headache. I felt myself being pushed along–I was still lying down but it felt strange–I still couldn’t see anything.

Pushed poked pulled and X-rayed, why did they ask me if I was pregnant? Men don’t have babies do they? I was left to lie for a short time then I was manhandled onto a very uncomfortable bed thing and told to lie as still as I could, then they started up a lawn mower right by my head–the noise went on and on. I was at screaming pitch by the time it stopped. I was moved again and sick again. Why did they call me a dirty girl? I feel like I’m in some parallel universe–I’m Charlie Watts, biology post grad student–I think–I think I got my degree–my head hurts too much.

I was eventually placed in a bed–I still couldn’t see, but I could feel sheets being pulled up over me. “Lady Cameron, we’re going to mount a drip and that will include some pain killer. As soon as we’ve finished your husband can come into see you.”

Must be sharing a room with some Lady muck or other–geez, the NHS must be strapped for cash if they’re sharing rooms with mixed patients–or suddenly very progressive–nah, it’s the NHS–besides, Lady Muck is probably about seventy five and in hospital because she swallowed her tiara, or something equally obscene.

“Hi Babes, I brought you some flowers,” said a man’s voice and then he kissed me. Bloody hell–I nearly crapped myself–only I think I’d emptied my guts the other way.

“We were all so worried when you didn’t come home, thank goodness for the tracking devices, though yours wasn’t sending too much of a signal–you’d think Porsche’s would be a bit tougher than cheapo four by fours, wouldn’t you?”

He must have been talking to the woman in the room–I don’t have a 4x4 nor would I want one–well okay they could be useful for fieldwork, but gimme a good ol’ British Land Rover any day, not some over-priced German tank.

“They say you’ve had an awful crack on the head, girl–mind you they showed me a photo of the car, total write off, but I think the insurance will cover it.” I felt a hand placed on mine and I jumped. “Cathy, it’s only me, Simon–you’re quite safe.”

In jumping I jerked my head and the pain shot through me, I felt tears run down my cheeks.

“Don’t cry, my darling, we’re just so pleased you’re alive, can you talk?”

I felt his hand on mine again, he was so gentle and his hand felt huge. I cleared my throat and he offered me a drink, I felt a straw being placed in my mouth and I sipped the cool water. It made gurgling noises as it went down my gullet.

“How d’you feel, babes?”

“Who are you?” I said croakily.

“What? I’m your husband, Simon, you’re my wife, Catherine.”

Oh shit! Does this guy need glasses, or what? Here I am, a bloke, lying here–okay, probably in one of those horrible hospital gowns–and he thinks I’m his wife? What is he, demented or something?

“My name’s Charles,” I said in a whisper–my throat felt sore.

“No, Cathy, it used to be don’t you remember? You’re Cathy now, we got married last year and we have seven children.”

Seven kids–must be talking about a litter of puppies or kittens–silly old fool, though he doesn’t sound that old.

“Excuse me, Lord Cameron, we need the doctor to look at her again.” This was a woman’s voice.

“I’ll see you later, Cathy,” he pecked me on the cheek and left.

“Your husband is very nice, Lady Cameron, he’s brought you some terrific flowers. Okay, lie back, the doctor’s here to see you.”

“Nurse,” I whispered–my throat felt so dry and sore.

“Yes?”

“Why does everyone think I’m a woman?”

“Because you are. Now just relax, here’s the doctor.”

I’m a woman? I wasn’t before I came here–was I? The doctor introduced himself although I wasn’t listening to anything he said. I felt like I’d been caught in one of those spooky stories where people are shocked out of their bodies and into someone else’s. Car accident? I don’t have a car, just a bike–so maybe that’s what happened–some rich biddy hit me off my bike and crashed at the same time and we swapped bodies? Sure, and my name is Father Christmas.

“Lady Cameron, there is some slight swelling of the brain which is pressing upon one of the centres of vision, which is why you can’t see anything. I think the swelling will reduce–we’ll give it another twenty four hours–if it isn’t resolved, we might have to operate–I’ve prescribed some drugs to help reduce the swelling and take the pain away–I need you to rest, so just lie quietly and try to sleep if you can. Sorry about the peeping, that’s just a machine monitoring your vitals. I’ll be in to see you tomorrow.”

I tried to rest–well, my body did, but my mind was racing. How could they imagine I’m a woman–if I’m in a hospital gown they must have noticed that and my flat chest. I moved my arm–the one without the drip in it–Bloody hell! I’ve got tits. I felt down below–oh shit–there’s a catheter coming out of somewhere and it sure ain’t a willie. Either I am more screwed up than I thought, or someone has done a number on my–you know what. I felt a cold shiver run up and down my spine–what had happened to me? I’d rest now and try and get some answers in the morning.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This Is Serious

littlerocksilver's picture

Amnesia with a change in gender: This is not good. You are an evil woman, A.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Nice to have Cathy thinking somewhat

rationally again. Even if she's regressed a few years. Need to get brilliant little Trish in there. If anyone can bring her mom around it's her. Or maybe the baby attached to her food source although I suppose that wouldn't be a good idea with the stuff they're pumping into Cathy.

*shudders*

What a nightmare situation... I do wonder how you'll work this out. So many possibilities. Believe it or not, I hope it's NOT all a dream. It's a situation that needs to be worked through.

Thanks,
Anne

Whoa

I sure did not expect this to happen. Oh dear.

This will be interesting though as Charlie (who is in the driver seat at the moment) might have a different perspective with Shekinah. This is also one of a few times I believe that Cathy has gotten seriously hurt.

Kim

Oops. Someone hit the reset button!

I believe the Shekinah is behind this. Oh well, I see her influence in everything! Msybe Charlie will handle things differently than Cathy did? Excuse me, one blue light special, please?

Wren

BINGO! Gwen...IMHO

And as to that wacky nonsense she thought about while trapped in the car concussed all I have to say is ... One moment I'm fine then it's orange water buckets of plaster!

To paraphrase Monty Pythons' E Henry Thripshaw's Disease.

I agree, this whole situation reeks of the Shekinah. And brain swelling is very bad. It kills. Look at Natasha Richardson not so long ago -- skiing accident. Or the late David Niven's first wife, died from a fall down a stair while playing blinds man's bluff during a children's party. Both fine for a few hours then comas and brain dead in days.

Amazed they have not put her in a medical coma with barbiturates to stop the swelling.

The goddess said essentially Cathy needed to learn a lesson in humility and faith and only then would the gift of healing -- the blue/white lights ... Hum is there a pink light? -- be returned. And she seems in dire need of it now.

Still have your touch., Ang. I assume the blindness, brain swelling is Bonzi's part?

And Whitetail Deer in Wisconsin do kill, though the majority of car deer collisions -- over 30000 a year but then we have something like 2 million whitetails -- are only property damage and a dead or badly injured animal.

We do have a small elk herd up north , many collared to trigger traffic warning signs at popular crossing areas for them. And my dad hit a dark colored steer aprox 10 years ago up near Stevens Point. Farmer was very careless and they got out of their fencing. It was past twilight in the evening on a sharp curve in early fall and some corn was still standing. Flipped over the roof of the midsized Ford LTD. If it had crashed into the windshield I might have buried my dad, and aunt and an uncle. Didn't do the cow much good.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1454

This just might be a way for Cathy to get over her reluctance to see herself as pretty as she really is. She has a hard time accepting compliments.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Welcome back Stan.

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.
Good to see you're back with us. You had us worried.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Curiouser and curiouser

Curiouser and curiouser

We now have a Charlie who has no memories of being the Charlie from Cathy’s past.

Unpredictable as always Ang, now I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride, whatever route you take.

Perhaps it’s time to wake the dormouse up to continue this mad party

Love to all

Anne

Retrograde Amnesia

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

Only BIG Time. And yes; only time will tell. I hope it's just the pressure on the brain and nothing permanent.

Hope Cathy pulls through cos Charlie watts was a very unhappy person. Who would want his life in exchange for Cathy's?

We'll just have to wait and see.

Strange chapter Cathy, intriguing but I'm still lovin' it.

Love and Hugs.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Thanks for the always

Thanks for the always interesting serial.

Cathy is suffering from a concussion and brain swelling, no wonder she is confused.

She has always been a girl, so probably hasn't really forgot that aspect of her soul.

The goddess of PMS and unreasonable demands may have erred if she caused this accident, I can see Cathy
forgetting all about her.

Thanks

D

Goddess of PMS? Unreasonable demands?

Unreasonable demands are not God (or Goddess ) like. God will not tempt us beyond that which we are able to bear.....and while Cathy may yet have demands placed on her by Shekinah or counterparts, Cathy will be able to bear them, but it will take a lot of self-soul searching to do so. Good Luck Cathy.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm