Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1422

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1422
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I was already in bed when Simon emerged from the bathroom having completed his ablutions–brushing his doodahs and flossing his wotsits–or perhaps it was the other way round–who cares.

He got into bed and looked at the crossword I was doing in the Guardian. I’d had to steal it back from Daddy’s study, where it had probably been since breakfast. I rarely get to see it even though I pay for it, albeit with those token things, so I do get a discount.

“Four across, is passage,” he said and handed me back the newspaper. I looked at the clue and he was probably right, it certainly fit ‘Extract from voyage (7).’

“Um–I think you’re probably right.”

“Probably–probably? Of course I’m right–I always am–it’s just that usually you refuse to acknowledge it.”

“Well I’m acknowledging it now, both with the clue and our weekend. That was fantastic–the kids loved it and so did I. Thank you, darling.” I kissed him on the cheek.

“Is that all I get, a peck on the cheek?”

“Why, what else would you like, my lord and master?” I said coyly and laid down on my back.”

“Um–what’s on offer, then?” he said chucking the paper off the bed and tickling my breast through my nightdress.”

We kissed and his hand moved lower stroking my leg. “Fortune favours the brave,” he said quietly.

“Only if they have good counsel, preferably Queen’s variety,” I cautioned.

“Yeah, with you about it’s trying to decide what’s brave and what’s suicidal,”

“You make me sound like some sort of hazard.”

“Um–yeah, death-trap variety.”

“Oh wonderful, now I’m a danger to humanity.”

“No, Cathy, just to individuals–that lunatic in Norway was a danger to humanity, can you imagine how crazy he must have been to cold bloodedly kill seventy odd people?”

“Si, I don’t mind which we do, discourse or intercourse but not both.”

“Oh right–right, lie back and think of England.”

“Why?”

“Well they beat India, didn’t they.”

“Did they,” I yawned.

“I thought you liked cricket?”

“I do sometimes; I thought you liked sex?”

“Instead of cricket–that’s a tough one, Cathy.”

I closed my eyes and my legs and pretended to be asleep.

“Can I bowl a maiden over?”

“Didn’t know you knew any,”

“It was figurative.”

“Don’t do numbers.”

“That’s not true is it, you crunch numbers for the survey all the time.”

“I’ve got a computer program that does all that–I’m practically innumerate.”

“Huh, the way you were adding up all the points in the sprinter’s competition and working out time differences of the different riders, enumerate may be more applicable than innumerate.”

“So you’ve got my number have you?”

“I think so, missus.”

“Well if you don’t climb this mountain soon, I’m going to deem you out of time and have to disqualify you.”

“But you can’t, I’m at least fifty percent of the field, let alone the peloton.”

“Ah, but I’m the referee,” I poked out my tongue and he began to tickle me. One of the things I cannot deal with is tickling–I hate it so much I’d agree to anything to stop it–I shrieked at him to stop but he continued and I ended up wetting the bed. I couldn’t help it–I lost control–I did try to tell him.

So the upshot was instead of him having his oats, he helped me strip and remake the bed, after which both of us had gone off the idea and he agreed he’d get his oats tomorrow–courtesy of Scott’s Porage.

I thanked him again for taking us to France and after kissing him I turned over and went to sleep–I was exhausted.

I awoke the next morning having a really strange dream. I was in a French hotel–not the one we’d stayed in–and I couldn’t find the toilet. No one I saw could speak English or understand my schoolgirl French and I began to feel close to tears, when I pushed open a door which was a toilet–the gents. I didn’t care, I ran in and squatted down backwards over the urinal and was just about to wee when the radio came on and I managed to stop myself, jumping out of bed and rushing to the bathroom.

At least I didn’t have any dreams about Old Testament goddesses; that really would have finished me off. I showered and went down to make Simon’s porridge, it wasn’t Scott’s it was Jordans’ organic oats or whatever–and he ate them with salt, I prefer mine with sugar. Usually, I don’t bother–I prefer cornflakes–but I had some today as I was making some for my lord and master, it seemed like a good idea.

He sat eating his while I sprinkled sugar on mine and then chopped up a banana and mixed that in as well. “I don’t know how you eat it like that?”

“Likewise,” I quipped back.

“I used to eat it like that when I was a kid, but when I grew up I...”

“Put away childish things,” I offered finishing a mangled quote from St Paul.

“You what?”

“When I became a man, I put away childish things.”

“You’re not a man,” he grumped at me.

“I know I’m not–probably better than any living soul–I was quoting St Paul.”

“What for?”

“Because what you said reminded me of his epistle to the Corinthians–‘When I was a child, I thought like a child,’ and so on.”

“Oh–yeah–’course.” His answer suggested he’d known all along what I was saying which was patently untrue, but I chose not to challenge it. I’d had a lovely weekend and I wasn’t going to spoil it for a silly argument.

He finished his breakfast and kissed me before leaving for work. I was starting to clear up when Daddy appeared. He looked in the pot–there was probably a portion of porridge left. He asked if he could have it and I warmed it up for him, he added salt as well instead of sugar–perhaps I was the odd one out? Don’t answer that–I suppose it could be a man thing–nah, it was a Scottish thing–okay, so I should eat it the same, but I prefer my porridge sweet not savoury–and with real cream–yummy.

I sat talking with Daddy until I heard the patter of tiny hooves–it was Danny. “Catherine’s crying,” he mumbled.

“Well why didn’t you pick her up?”

“I can’t feed her can I?”

“No, but you could have brought her down to me.”

“Yeah, I s’pose–’cept she’s all wet and smelly.”

“So were you once upon a time–in fact, after you’ve been playing soccer–you still are.” I chuckled at his discomfort so did Daddy.

“Don’t you laugh, too, Gramps, you’ll only encourage her.”

“Och, she needs nae encouragement frae me, dae ye, hen?”

“Probably not, Daddy.”

“I’m awa’ tae ma office–I’m oot th’ nicht.”

“Oh yes, the Dean’s dinner group–okay, have a good time and behave yourself,” last year he fell asleep during the speeches and landed up with his face in his dessert. I told him he’d get his just deserts–it wasn’t quite how I was expecting it to happen.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
242 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oatmeal

I prefer it with brown sugar and milk, same with Cream of Wheat. Grits, however, I take with butter and salt...

Grits?

Angharad's picture

That's what we do to the roads in icy weather!

Angharad

Angharad

Southern Grits

erin's picture

Grits are the middlings of corn separated during grinding. They are rather like cornmeal but with a coarser texture and a starchier taste. Cornmeal can be whole grain or degermed. Grits is always without the germ and usually without the bran. Properly prepared, grits are fluffy like good mashed potatoes but with more texture.

They are generally eaten at breakfast with butter, salt, and pepper. Lots of people mix them in with an over easy egg, sausage cut apart on the plate with a fork, and hot sauce.

Some people in the South prefer their grits with butter and sorghum (molasses made from sorghum cane instead of sugar cane), or mixed with fruit or fruit preserves. Northerners sometimes use maple syrup if they've even heard of grits. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Grits

I'm in Indiana, although my mom was from KY, and my Dad from here, although his parents came from Northern Ohio. I never saw a grit until I was in my teens, and it was explained to put butter and sugar on them, maybe just to get us to eat them. I used to put milk in oatmeal, but now use butter and sugar, same with cream of wheat, which I probably haven't eaten in 40 years. Now a days, the only place I can get grits is at Cracker Barrel; I have made two trips to Florida and found grits at a few places down South, but not that many.

Same here!

Although I have met a few people who put sugar in their grits. Its gotta be a Northern thing...

Valentines_face_crop.jpg

Battery.jpg

kinda sorta

me? use sugar-free maple syrup or sometimes applesauce or apple butter, yummy!
Now grits I can take or leave, but leave 'em in a buttered bread pan overnight in the fridge and slice up and fry in the leftover grease from the sausage or bacon the serve with syrup or powdered sugar and cinnamon, now that is what I call delicious :) not the best for you, but good as a treat a couple times a year. And for our friends on the other side of the pond, i prefer my Yorkshire Pudding (think that is what it is called, some kind of batter in a a dish, cooked in oil for 30-40 minutes, sometimes add sausage links (cooked) on top) with a bit of syrup or cinnamon/powdered sugar, heck even strawberry preserves are good :)

Diana

Grits

Grits in the south USA is usually prepared these ways:

1) Cheese and butter
2) salt,pepper, butter
3) cheese, eggs, meat (bacon, sausage or ham), butter sometimes with salt and butter

Oatmeal/ porridge in the USA is served many different ways:

1) fruit in it
2) butter and milk
3) butter and cinnamon
4) syrup in it
5) sometimes people put meat in it

Hugs,
Jennifer Boyle (JennaFL)
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1422

Wonder what Cathy's survey will do for B.C.? Could there be some misadventure to come from a few people after the property?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Tickling...

Tickling is not something that should be taken to excess... And, only minimal, and only when mutually 'agreeable! You'd think by now Simon would know that tickling his wife was likely to eliminate the chances for "making whopie".

Interesting dream - I've had strange ones myself. I'm really glad that I've never had one of those "goddess" dreams!

Thanks for keeping this going. :-)

Anne

Far from me to disagree with the illustrious St Paul

.... but I will anyway. No matter what, ones childish experiences will always be part of us and to nourish it an occasional bout of childish behavior just to stretch its legs and to keep perspective is a wonderful thing.

I believe that our psyches are more a superposition then at sequential change from one phase to another.

Kim

"When I was a child..

I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I have become a man, I have put away childish things."
1 Corinthians 13:10 - American Standard Version

If I didn't put away childish things when I became a man, they would put me away!

I started cross dressing at about the age of 3. I am 71, and still enjoy it, even the GNO when I can get one! And they still haven't put me away!!

(gives a raspberry to show I am still doing childish (?) things !! )

You da one, Angharad! Keep this series going for as long as you have ideas and a simple plot in mind - with your skills, you keep us all on the edge of our seats anxiously awaiting the next episode!

And for Bonzi and Izzy - here is an ear scratch (both ears) and a good tummy rub!(scrubbie)

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Grits, Porridge with salt,

All very nice i am sure, But is there anything which beats awakening to the smell of bacon gently frying. Couple that with the rest of a full English breakfast and you have a meal which will set you up for the rest of the day... Now where did i put my frying pan ??? .

Kirri

A day in the life of'

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

Or was that a night in the life of. Still a good read and I'm still lovin' it.

Thanks Angie and g'night.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Milky porridge

Podracer's picture

With a handful of raisins - they get squishy in the heating. Especially if started the night before.
With water if there isn't enough milk.
With a spot of cream if there is any going begging :)

"Reach for the sun."

Never tried it with salt,

Maybe someday. Danny might as well learn to deal with wee ones, even if it is bring them to Mom. I suspect he'll have his share someday.