Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1543

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1543
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I listened to the radio as I came to, I missed Simon, his side of the bed was cold. The news about the economy, the public sector unions strike and the war in Afghanistan was the same each day, more or less. Then one story really got my attention.

The Department of Health has issued a notice about use of alternative therapies in NHS hospitals after an old lady died in Southampton Hospital while receiving healing from a young woman.

I waited and waited but there was nothing more on the subject and I wondered if Julie had heard it. I went up to her room, she was still in bed and looked totally zonked.

I roused her and told her what I’d heard on the radio, she burst into tears and I told her she needed to get up or she’d be late for work. She told me she didn’t want to go. However, I have a particular averseness to people pretending to be ill, so I dug her out of bed before going down to start the breakfast, waking Danny and the girls as I went down

Julie came down and we tried to listen to the radio through the noise the girls were making and I shouted at them–perhaps louder than I realised–because Mima burst into tears. Then I noticed her eyes looked huge and when I checked on her tummy she had some spots coming out. I sent her back to bed with suspected measles. Just what we needed.

Julie did hear the mention of the news story despite Trish and Livvie being at loggerheads over something or other. When they started screeching at each other, I shouted again. Caroline had just joined us and I asked her to take over while I went to see Mima, who’d got back into bed and was asleep.

I asked the other two if they’d had measles and they said they had. Julie had left for work and I sent Caroline to get Catherine up and what to give her for her breakfast. I was just sorting out the screeching sisters when Julie came in and said she’d been sick. I sent her back to bed and phoned her salon to report her sickness. I hoped she’d had measles.

I somehow got the girls to school and reported that Mima had suspected measles and was told to take the others back home as well–they had a total ban on families who had infectious diseases–apparently starting the year the Swine flu epidemic didn’t quite happen, although I accept there had been some tragic consequences for some people.

I took them both home and sent them up to change into playing-clothes. I also warned them to stay away from Mima, who was sleeping. If they started fighting again I was going to lock them in the garden shed.

Danny was miffed, he’d missed his bus, so I ran him to school in my car which improved his mood–he’d had measles before, too. Back home again, I checked on my two patients. Mima was asleep and Julie looked quite unwell. I took her a drink and a bucket in case she was sick again. She looked at me and went to sleep again.

Caroline was heroically trying to feed a baby who also looked as if she had huge eyes and was very grumpy–so unlike her usual self. I gave her some Calpol and after changing her, took her back to her bed.

Caroline made some tea and I gratefully accepted the mug she offered me–my dormouse one–she’d finally remembered. I drank it while trying to contact Simon, I got his voice mail and sent him good luck for his tribunal thing.

When the downstairs loo began to overflow I really did think the universe was trying to drive me mad. Caroline offered to look at it and decided the washer needed replacing. Did I have a spare? I didn’t know–did I? I showed her the collection of DIY stuff we had and went back to finish my tea. She returned ten minutes later with a cistern washer, turned off the water and replaced the washer with a new one before switching the H2O back on. From someone who was envious of me, I was suddenly in admiration of her and said so.

“I did a plumbing course a few years ago, but never pursued it–sometimes I regret it–you know.”

“Did you qualify as a plumber?”

“Um–not really–it was a very basic course.”

“Would you like to train as one?”

“What a plumber?”

“Yes.”

“I hadn’t given it any thought since I finished the course, why what d’you think?”

“I think you need to make your mind up yourself, but if you’d like to, we could make some enquiries about training.”

“What about here?”

“We’d have to try and sort something out, wouldn’t we? I told you at the outset if there was some form of training you wanted to do, I’d help if I could.”

“It’s really good of you, Cathy, but I think this family needs me more than blocked pipes and dripping taps.”

“At the moment, yes we do–and thank you for putting us first.” I gave her a hug.

“No, thank you for being so generous as always.”

“We’ll perhaps look at things again when life is less demanding.”

“Fine, like when Jenny comes back.”

“That isn’t certain, and Julie healed on someone at Southampton last night and they died.”

“From her healing?” Caroline gasped.

“I doubt it, though the powers that be may not think so–they’ve just banned alternative remedies from NHS hospitals.”

“Typical government–sledgehammer nutcrackers.”

I nodded.

“How does that affect Jenny?”

“Neither of us had better show our faces at Southampton for a bit, had we?”

“Probably not a good idea–but I could go if you want to keep in touch with her.”

“That might be a very good suggestion, Caroline. Yeah, very good. Now stop surprising me or I’ll see if you can walk on water by taking you down the harbour.”

“More tea?” she asked.

“Please, I’m going to check on my patients.” Thankfully, they were all sleeping. I woke Mima and gave her some Calpol and took some paracetamol to Julie, who took a couple and went back to sleep almost immediately.

Stella, when she found out, turned her suite into a bunker instead of allowing her kids a chance to boost their immune systems. However, Puddin’ was in danger of turning into Spotted Dick by tea time, so the barriers were lifted and I was blamed for creating a global pandemic. Stella does have a penchant for overreacting, especially regarding her kids.

I checked with the doctor, who told me to keep them rested and well hydrated and offer Calpol to the children and paracetamol to Julie. Seems like I was doing all I could. Stella was still grumpy, and when she began to come out in spots I knew we were in trouble. It was curtains. Yes drawing the curtains–adults are more at risk of eye damage than children, so Stella was placed in a darkened room and it looked like Caroline and I would have a full-time job until we either got them better or got some help.

Simon sent me a text to say he was on his way home and wasn’t feeling too well. I replied and asked if he’d had measles. He didn’t know. Ain’t life just wunnerful?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
247 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks Ang

shiraz's picture

Where's that scratch? It wasn't there a minute ago
 

Topsy
Mostly Harmless
- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

MMR

littlerocksilver's picture

This is a bad way to find out how many in the family didn't have the proper immunizations as children. I wonder how many other immunizations they missed. There is some controversy out there about immunization shots; however, tha science is pretty conclusive. They say that the flu shot is about 60% effective. I'll take my chance of 60% protection any day over 0% chance with no shot.

MMR = Measles, Mumps, Rubella (German Measles)

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

I've stopped getting flu

I've stopped getting flu shots. I got tired of being sick. Whatever they use for the medium gives me three weeks of heck. I'd rather have the flu for three days.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

If you're allergic

Angharad's picture

to poultry or eggs - that can cause problems because the viruses are grown in hen's eggs.

Angharad

Angharad

I didn't think they used

I didn't think they used killed virus anymore... But I had to give up most eggs because of digestive difficulties. My favorite breakfast was poached eggs on toast.. never more. *sigh*

So mostly, I only get eggs in bread/cake, and that's about it.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

According to my doc....

They do still use versions of the virus that cannot cause the malady...

But, yeah, egg allergies is a counter indicator of the normal version... Worth talking it over with your doc- to see if he/she can get a version of the vaccine that does not use the egg carrier.

Anne

Worse

Mumps in adult males can be extremely uncomfortable in places you'd rather not be uncomfortable.

Never rains but it pours in the Cameron household :)

Robi

Not sure if it does

Mumps in adults however, especially males has a high percentage chance of leading to serility. I fortunately had measles and mumps as a youngster. I was also unfortunate enough to get scarlet fever at the age of 2 1/2. Tetracycline was the recommended medication at the time. Unfortunately, Tetracycline has the side effect of stopping enamal formation in teeth so I now have 4 molars that are mostly fillings now.

Measles vs Scarlet Fever

erin's picture

Not at all the same thing. Measles is a virus, scarlet fever a bacterial infection. That a measles infection might result in an opportunistic bacterial fever is certainly possible.

In English speaking countries there are two diseases called measles, morbilli is the more serious but rubella is the one that causes birth defects. Some think that canine distemper, a similar virus to morbilli, originated when measles jumped the species barrier. The measles vaccine was sometimes used to give dogs immunity to distemper before the distemper vaccine was developed. Some evidence exists that live measles and/or distemper vaccines can grant immunity to cohabitants of the other species but this has not been proven.

Measles epidemics in the New World decimated native populations several times before some residual tribal immunity developed. A measles epidemic among the Inca ruling families led to dynastic instability resulting in an easy conquest by the Spanish. Mumps helped do the same in Mexico. The eastern seaboard of the US had suffered repeated measles and smallpox outbreaks before the English colonized the area. Something, and it may have been measles, depopulated South Africa shortly before European and Central African colonization of the area that had formerly been home to tribes related to the !Kung of the Kalahari.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

it never rains

It never rains but it pours in Catyh's household, just as well Caroline is there to help,if Stella gets the measles as well then so will her two little girls, better now while they are young.

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1543

When it rains, it pours.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Illness

In a way, it's fortunate neither Cathy nor Julie are likely to visit Southampton in the next week or so - the last thing Jenny needs is to come down with measles! Perhaps if she's ready to be discharged before the outbreak has run its course, Maureen or Jim could do the honours - she's met both and neither are currently living at HQ. Jenny could then be temporarily accommodated at a certain hotel in Southsea until the All Clear is given, where she'd undoubtedly be waited on hand and foot once it was made known she was a special guest of the Cameron Clan :)

 

Find me on Google+ | Examine EAFOAB Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

When It Rains, It Pours

jengrl's picture

PICT0013_1_0.jpg Cathy and Caroline will have their hands full taking care of all of them. I imagine the NHS is trying to make themselves look good by blaming the Blue light. Shekinah told Cathy that if it is someone's time to go, then the blue light won't make any difference just as it wouldn't have with Billie.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Measles and adults.

Measles can be really tricky for adults, there's the eye thing and several other possible complications.

Still it's usually a good thing to catch these childhood diseases provided the victim is a healthy child because it's good exercise for the immune system.

I sometimes think that many people are vulnerable to superbugs in hospital because they have led too sterile lives and weakened their own immune systems by not testing the body's resitance system regularly.

Cathy's got her work cut out though.
Nice chapter, I enjoyed it but now to bed.

Byee.

Bev.

OXOXOX

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg

Vaccinations

janet_L.'s picture

Seems like the Cameron household would qualify as a newsworthy outbreak over here.

It's difficult here in the US (Kansas, anyway) to get children into school here without a record of all the required vaccinations.

Hmmm. . . As much as treating a bad case of most of the vaccine-preventable diseases costs, I'm surprised the National Health doesn't make vaccinations mandatory!

This kind of left me going, "Measles, in a well-to-do household in this day and age? Well really!" Even if these are Cathy's waifs & strays. . .

Well apparently there is a measles vaccine

... and it has been around since 2005. It is in the form of a combo vaccine covering Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella. I would get it but I suspect I have already had it myself. I am not 100% sure though.

Kim

MMR

Hi

I know MMR has been a recommended vaccination for a lot longer than 2005 in the UK. My daughter was offered it in 1998. However, the uptake of the vaccination was not good because there were a lot of rumours that MMR caused autism. So it is quite possible that the children never had the vaccination.

Karen

MMR

Indeed, I believe the doc who was largely responsible for the rumours was disciplined rather heavily by the British Medical Association. One of the side issues of THAT newspaper we keep mentioning (The Daily Wail) is that house prices...sorry, another of their obsessions; that everything causes cancer, etc, and at the same time everything cures it. Amongst other rags, they puffed the 'story' up until it was Big News, and then children began getting ill in large numbers because of the low uptake of MMR.

Cathy is ALWAYS a

busy woman. Will she ever get time to do her university stuff?

I recall...

I recall, back in my first year @ Uni...

There was a guy that came down with the measles. He got moved into the women's dorm (private room). A bunch of guys kidded him about going so hard for a date. His reply was he couldn't get one, that all the girls treated him like a brother! LOL

Seems things always pile up on Cathy. So glad Caroline's so willing to help, and apparently so able! Sounds like she'll need it!

Kinda surprised Stella never had the measles growing up (and, it sounds like Simon too)... Perhaps their "hoity toity" upbringing kept them away from someone infected. Wonder if Mima picked it up at school... Or if Cathy/Julie brought it home from the Hospital... Hmmmm. Probably won't find out. (Also wonder if the person Julie tried to help is the one that died. Might be someone totally unrelated...)

Thanks,
Anne

Asherah failed?

Did Asherah fail to heal the old woman or the kids? She sure is selective.

Wonder if the Blue Light,

will help with mumps or measles? Looks like we will find out!