A New Style of Education - Year Five - Part 1

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education - Year Five

by Karen Page

Prologue and Part 1

Hayfield Music School
picture created using DALL-E


Prologue

Tuesday 20th October 2009

"You do know that Robert's death wasn't really suicide," quietly murmured Paul Ingles to George Green. They were discreetly chatting on one of the House of Commons member lounges where they knew they couldn't be overheard. They had been discussing the way the expenses system had been changed and lamenting how things weren't going to be as cushy as they used to be. This was the second week back from summer recess and they were just getting their feet back under the table.

"You what?!" George exclaimed. In his surprise he raised his voice slightly and others turned to look.

"I thought I'd been discrete with my enquiries, but I had someone ring me earlier and threatened me unless I stopped 'Poking my nose where it wasn't wanted'."

"You need to go to the police," George urged. He couldn't believe that anybody would threaten his colleague and friend.

"They threatened my wife and children if I did that. If anything happens, make sure my family is looked after. Look, I know you have a lot of contacts and know who you can trust." With a slightly raised voice, so if anybody was listening it would just appear to be normal chatter Paul continued, "My PPS got the information you need for tomorrow's debate."

Paul carefully removed a folder out of his briefcase and handed it across the table. As George took it, a USB flash drive fell from the folder into his lap. "Thanks," responded George. "I'll make sure I look at it before tomorrow."

* * *

George Green was getting himself ready for the day, with The Today program discreetly on in the background. It had been a long night of reviewing documents and collating questions. His day would be taken up with putting things together. The public only saw the times he was in the chamber or in committees, but all that he did took planning. You couldn't ask pointed questions if you didn't know what you were talking about. And topics might range from internet security, to finances, to health. An MP needed to have a grasp on a range of subjects and most importantly know how to persuade. All without making a mistake an appearing silly.

"The news headlines at eight o'clock. Paul Ingles, Member of Parliament for Harrow East died last night when his car left the road. The Prime Minister-"

George didn't hear the rest. His thoughts about today's work evaporated. He snapped off the radio and started looking for information on the news websites. What he quickly discovered was that there wasn't much about the incident, but what was clear was that everyone thought it was an accident. After the conversation yesterday evening, George wasn't so sure.

After several calls he managed to get hold of the officer in charge for the investigation. "What can I do for you, Mr Green?"

"I was a colleague of Mr Ingles. I was trying to find out more details about last night's accident."

After verifying George's identity, he was told, "His car left the road and hit a tree. Nobody else was injured, but Mr Ingles died instantly."

"Was there any CCTV footage?" George enquired.

"Unfortunately, not. We normally have coverage in that area, but they had a power failure in the control room, so nothing was recording. The area was quiet and there were no other witnesses to what happened."

"Okay, thank you for your time. I'm just glad nobody else was hurt."

"No problems, Mr Green. If there is any other way I can help, you have my number."

George sighed. It was at times like this that he missed his wife. She always was level-headed and would be a great person to discuss problems. However, he didn't feel it would be a good idea to telephone her at their house in Cumbria. If Paul's death was deliberate, then he had no idea if his phone was safe. The last thing he wanted was to put his family at risk.

"I'm getting paranoid," he laughed to himself.

That afternoon, he was involved in a meeting of the Intelligence and Security Committee. It was during their grilling of Mavis Brown that a plan began to form. He'd remembered reading a report how she'd been given data regarding the spread of nuclear technology into Iran. She'd denied knowing the source, though from the way she phrased certain things it sounded like she had a very strong suspicion. That work had got her promotion and now was senior enough to give reports to this committee.

It wasn't until after the meeting, did they have chance for a private chat. One of the good things about this meeting was it was behind closed doors and the chat after was expected.

After making sure nobody else was within earshot George asked Mavis, "Remember your source for the Iran nuclear issue?"

"I never categorically found out who it was," she smoothly responded.

"Of course. Would you say from the dealings with them that they are trustworthy?"

Mavis gave a small smile, but her eyes didn't twinkle. She stayed focused on George. "From the little I do know; I think their aims aren't detrimental to our national interest. The information I did get was not just highly accurate, but also very detailed."

"I suppose you didn't go looking who they were, so you could maintain contact which might help further your career further."

"Attempts were made very early on to ascertain information, but our attempts were spotted. I was relieved we still got information from them after that. It might compromise a valuable source if more extreme measures were employed."

Mavis sneezed, and George took that opportunity. He'd been unsure how to discreetly give her the information and wasn't going to miss that opportunity. "Bless you," he said, reaching into his pocket and removing a cotton handkerchief, fumbling slightly to make sure it contained the USB drive.

As Mavis took it, she felt the contents. "Do you mind if I keep this? I seem to have run out of tissues."

"I can't have someone not having something to catch a sneeze into. There is enough Swine Flu going around as it is."

With MI6's office only along the river, it wasn't a long walk, but she didn't take a direct route. Instead, she crossed the river at Westminster Bridge where there were plenty of places that sold handsets. A cheap phone was all she needed to send a message. It was then lost into The Thames. This, she thought, was a good opportunity to find out more about this group and who was in charge.

Part 1
David's phone pinged, indicating a calendar change for an imminent appointment. His quick glance showed that the headmaster, Mr Hobson, had added a meeting. What he thought strange was the meeting didn't have Helen. Since they were joint head pupils, meetings with Mr Hobson normally involved them both.

"Sorry about that," David said to his instrument mentor.

"Is it anything that needs dealing with now?"

"No."

"Excellent. Then shall we try that section again."

After David had passed his grade eight French Horn exam, he'd thought that would be the end of his instrument lessons. How wrong he'd been. His old teacher couldn't push him further, so a mentor had been commissioned to help polish his playing and technique. This he found harder work than his initial learning. The mentor expected more.

Once the lesson had completed, David saw his tutor out and went straight to see Mr Hobson.

"Ah, David come on in and shut the door."

Joining Mr Hobson on the settee, David waited for him to make the first move. He didn't have to wait long.

"Mavis Brown contacted the school earlier asking when we were going to hold our concert here. The most logical reason we can think of is that she has some information for us. How are the Beta team doing?"

"We'll be ready. By subtly training Tina and Luke since they joined, they are at a much better level than Helen and I was when we joined. However, without knowing specifics it will be difficult to know how any of us would react if the unfortunate happened again."

"Indeed. I don't think anybody would want a repeat of what happened four years ago. I will start everything for a concert on 11th of November. I think Armistice Day would be worthy of a grand concert."

"It's a shame we don't have the Americans here, or we would be able to do a requiem."

Mr Hobson chuckled. "I'm sure Lewis, Zoe and Mrs Russell will come up with something appropriate."

The mention of Zoe brought a smile to David's lips. She was a year one student who was learning to be a conductor to take over Lewis when he left. Zoe had been part of the first intake when the school expanded last year. There had been much talk if the years should be renumbered with the final year being year six, or if the extra year should be called year zero. In the end, the name year zero was chosen. It had been a hectic time with twenty people joining the school all on the same day and Mr Hobson had vowed that if the school ever expanded like that again they would take in the extra year a week later.

Because of their age, most year zero students weren't ready to join the orchestra, but a year of training got them to a better standard than when the first intake was year one. This year, three of the new students hadn't played an instrument, but they had all taken to them like ducks to water.

The chat between David and Mr Hobson finished just before lunch, so there wasn't a chance for David to update his partner, Helen and he knew that he probably wouldn't get a chance until they went to bed.

As David had predicted, he didn't get chance to discuss his meeting with Mr Hobson until they were alone. When Helen slid into their bed, she at last broached the subject. "Can you tell me about the meeting with Mr Hobson?"

"There's not much to say. Mavis Brown contacted the school to see if there was a concert. Mr Hobson feels she wants to discreetly talk with us, so is going to arrange a concert for Armistice Day."

"Ah, so that's why Lewis wasn't around much today. I hope things go better than they did when we last crossed swords with Mavis."

"Amen. Mavis hasn't seen me in four years and has only met me as Jayne. Will you be okay with that?" David was glad Helen couldn't see his sly grin. He knew all too well how she felt, even though she had become more restrained over the years.

The bouncing on the bed was enough of an answer, but Helen wasn't one for letting it go. "Of course," she responded. It wasn't as if she didn't see a lot of Jayne anyway, but this was an occasion she hadn't expected. David braced himself for a long night.

* * *

"You might want to tell the year about the concert," said Lewis, having come to see David and Helen before they left for their morning exercise. "One of the pieces requires a singer, and it just happens someone in year-H at The Manor knows it. Obviously, the rumours might reach the year later today."

"Ah, so who is coming?"

"Monica and Carolyn."

"I'm sure Mr Hobson will be telling us in our morning meeting. Though let us check now," said Helen, grabbing her phone, and dialled Mr Hobson. She put the phone on speaker so they could all hear the response. "Sorry to disturb you, Sir. I am here with David and Lewis. Can you tell me when Monica and Carolyn are arriving?"

"They left last night their time but weren't able to get on a direct flight. They will change in New York and will land at Heathrow just past 8pm tonight. I'll be making an announcement at breakfast regarding the concert. It was one of the items that I was going to mention in our pre-breakfast meeting."

"Sorry for jumping the gun, then. We'll see you soon."

Helen hung up. "As long as nobody at Immigration Manor has spilt the beans, then we should be okay not to mention it before Mr Hobson does at breakfast. I take it you or Brian won't say anything?"

"Brian is aware of the concert, but not about Monica and Carolyn. I won't say anything."

"Excellent. How is the concert planning going?"

"We've never put anything together so quickly. At times like this I sure miss Dan and Renee with their planning skills. Since we've only twenty days there will be some extra practices. Most of the pieces aren't too difficult, but the last one is going to need practice for us to portray it well. Year five played with a choir, and this is a solo singer."

"Okay, thanks for the update. Keep one of us informed if any problems arise."

The only thing the meeting with Mr Hobson added was due to them both being seventeen then they would be accompanied. The fact the school was part of something bigger had been kept a secret, and Mr Hobson was pleased that even the year leaders in year four didn't know there was a sister school.

When all the other year heads left, David and Helen hung back.

"Did you arrange for someone to get them, or could I go?" Helen asked.

"I think a student going would be perfect. However, by the time they get through the airport it is going to be in the eleven before you get back here. After David's news, did you get enough sleep last night?"

"If I have a nap this afternoon, would that make you happier?" Helen answered, not wanting to admit that Mr Hobson knew them too well.

"If you have slept enough, then I'll agree. Come to see me after you've got up. Take your nap just after lunch, as I will be announcing an extra orchestra practice for this afternoon."

At breakfast, Mr Hobson made the announcement for the special concert and the two pupils flying in from the sister school. As predicted, there were many surprised faces on when the sister-school was mentioned. What had happened while the American's had last visited, and just after, was something that year five knew shouldn't be talked about when they knew they'd be asked about the previous visit.

"So, who's coming?" asked Martha, excited at physically seeing some friends she'd not seen face-to-face for years.

"Monica and Carolyn."

As they were finishing breakfast, Rachel, who was sat at the year-five table, asked, "David and Helen, do you mind if you see me after breakfast?"

"Sure," they answered together.

Lessons in year-five weren't anything like they were in previous years. All the formal education that a child normally did before leaving school had been long finished. They'd finished their GCSE's and A-Levels and were now either performing individual study on a topic that interested them or studying a university topic via the Open University. This kept their learning skills tuned ready for any university they wanted to join the following year. One of the biggest lessons was had preparing for living in the world. Cooking had already been covered, but things like washing and ironing were all strange and new.

At three, the orchestra assembled on the stage for the special practice. The players started taking their seats and warming up while Lewis stood at the front chatting with Zoe. Zoe had been spending the last year learning to conduct. During rehearsals she'd always been at the front with Lewis, with him pointing out what he was doing and why. Since the last concert of the previous school year, Zoe had been starting to conduct the orchestra for some of the pieces.

"Listen up," called Lewis loudly from the podium. The chatter from the orchestra ended to hear what was being said.

"We will be playing five pieces. However, only three cover the whole orchestra. Remember, this is a Remembrance Day event, so it's important that we portray that sombre atmosphere. Especially for the last piece. Zoe will be conducting the four pieces before the interval, and I'll be doing the long one."

As Lewis was speaking, the non-players from Year Zero were busy delivering packs of sheet music. As the players received their pack, they started looking through what they were going to play.

"Zoe will be conducting the following. Nimrod, The Banks of Green Willow, Mars from The Planets and Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis. I will be conducting Gorecki Symphony No 3. Our singer doesn't arrive until tonight, so for today you will be in Zoe's hands."

Zoe looked nervous as she approached the podium. Before today, she'd conducted but never instructed. This would be a first for her, and for the orchestra.

"Let's start with the George Butterworth. The Banks of Green Willow. George was a British composer who died in The Battle of the Somme in 1916. He was buried in the trenches and his body was never recovered after the war."

Zoe paused and looked around the silent players and gave a sad smile. "Think what it's like lying on the grass at the back of the school during the summer month. That slightly laid-back feeling of tranquillity. Percussion, trombone and tuba can have a rest."

Zoe looked around and seeing that they were ready started conducting. The sound of a single clarinet broke the silence and after a few tentative bars fell silent. Zoe stopped a few moments later and turned to Lewis for help. He just signalled that she should deal with it.

For a few seconds, she closed her eyes as she mentally prepared to be more forthright and turned back to the orchestra giving a half laugh. "I suppose a warning might have been helpful. The first eight bars are solo clarinet. So, yes Tina, you were playing it correctly. First violins then join in the rest of the strings shortly after. Harp and brass have a bit of a longer wait. Shall we try that again?"

For much of the school, daily practices were a first. Most concerts were known with plenty of time to get prepared. With such a rushed concert, this wasn't the case. At the restart Tina played with a lot more confidence and they managed the first run through of the piece. Zoe then started to go through it, a section at a time, pulling the work to bits and highlighting areas where they weren't playing it how she wanted us to.

It was soon after the evening meal that Helen got ready to go meet Monica and Carolyn from the airport. The Heathrow website had indicated that the flight was expected a few minutes early, which was probably due to the brisk wind that was blowing across the Atlantic.

"Drive safely," David uttered to Helen when they got to the car.

"I will and I'll give you a ring when we're setting off."

Helen grabbed David and pulled him close. "I love you," she murmured just before their lips became locked.

"I love you too," David panted as they eventually broke for air. "I'll keep a light on."

David's heart sank as he watched her go. She would only be away for about six hours, but he would still miss her. They'd lived together for four years, and often did different things in the evening, but they were never far from each other. This wasn't the first time, like when David had to go to Edinburgh, but it didn't make his heart ache any less.

David's brooding wasn't lost on the others, and they pitched in to keep him occupied. Apart from year zero and a few couples in year one, they all knew it meant when their partner was away. During the evening he'd had a game of speed chess, two games of pool, and a rather strange discussion on the thoughts of organic farming with Paula. While Emma preferred much more of the hands on, Paula had got into farm management and finance.

Eventually David found it too much and decided to go for a walk. As he left, he grabbed his coat just in case he went outside. Wandering aimlessly around the halls of the magnificent house he called home; he thought about Helen and their time together.

"Missing Helen", called out Mr Hobson. The headmaster had just come out of Dr Ruiz office and had noticed David slinking down the hall.

"Yes, Sir."

"Understandable," Mr Hobson responded, scratching his chin in thought. "Let's walk."

They ambled slowly down the corridor. "Their love being away is something that some find hard. It isn't wrong. It isn't right. It just is. It happens in lots of jobs where one partner sometimes must travel. It isn't just the worry, is it?"

That wasn't something David had thought about, and after a few moments realised that he was right. "No. I'm just missing her. It's silly really, as we sometimes do different things in the evening or at the weekend. Like her flying lessons. I've never felt like this then. Today, I'm just-" he tailed off, not knowing how to continue.

"I presume you've tried to entertain yourself, but you've kept losing concentration?"

'How did he know?' David thought and with a resigned sigh said, "Yes. Everyone's been really patient with me, but I think they realised my heart wasn't in it."

"What works for some, is doing something to make their time back better. My wife was a consultant, and sometimes had to go to conferences. I used to miss her dearly while she was away and had the same issue."

"I didn't know you were married!" David exclaimed, surprised as he'd never seen Mr Hobson with anybody.

"I'm widowed. She passed many years ago."

Oh no. "I'm sorry."

"I still miss her, but eventually you learn to live with the loss. Anyway, back to missing them when they're away. It wasn't too bad for most of the time, it was the waiting when they were due back. So, what I did was bake a cake. The cakes were awful the first few trips she was away, but I eventually was able to make a decent cake. It was something we both started to look forward to. She got home, and we would sit down and have cake with a cup of tea. The baking took my mind off things.

"Now I'm not suggesting you bake a cake now, or everyone in the school will want some. But it would be good to do something for the guests. I like to check that things are ready. We need to check the bedrooms for Monica and Carolyn have the beds made up, and clothes are ready etc. Also, there is the guest bedroom for the person who is bringing them."

"But won't that already have been done?"

"It should have, but I always like to check. They will have been travelling for nearly fourteen hours. They will probably be tired. We don't want to find the beds haven't been setup when all they want to do is sleep."

David contemplated what Mr Hobson had said and thought back about the previous head students. They would have got involved in something like this. It was making sure other pupils had an interface with the school, and if there was an issue, they had someone other than a teacher to approach. Even though it wasn't something the school would have expected him to do, David felt it was something he should have expected himself to do.

The job of the head student was to set an example and be a contact between the other pupils and the school. But often the head student would take on other roles. Unofficial roles. What perplexed David was that if this wasn't something the school expected, why did Mr Hobson suggest he joined him in checking the rooms?

Inspecting the two rooms for Monica and Carolyn didn't wasn't complex, but there were lots of things to check. Mr Hobson shared a checklist, and they went through it for both pupils one by one. When they were finished, he turned to David and asked, "Was that enough of a distraction?"

David burst into a smile. "Yes, thank you. That stopped me brooding."

"There will be times in life when you are waiting for things to happen, or in this case, people to arrive. Giving yourself a task, especially if it is mundane, can keep you going. We have one more room to check."

They moved down the corridor to another spare room. This surprised David as he thought the person accompanying the two students would stay in the wing where Mr Hobson lived, as well as the three psychiatrists that lived at the school. The room wasn't laid out like the other spare rooms they'd just checked. David stood just inside the door, looking around and drinking it in. There was one person he knew who liked the room setup like this. He turned and gaped at the headmaster, his heartbeat picking up with excitement.

"I'll leave you to make sure everything is correct," said Mr Hobson with a small smile. "Enjoy, but not too much."

"Thank you, Sir."

"It was Mr Moore's idea."

"Still, thank you for the trust. I'll send Mr Moore a thank you note."

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you.

I am delighted to see another SPA story. Every so often I re-read all the stories in your universe so a new story is a wonderful treat.
Thank you for the hours of pleasure your stories have brought me.

Many many thanks.

Karen,
What a marvelous surprise to find a new episode on this my wedding anniversary. A wonderful gift, and reading brought back happy memories of our student activities. Some nice hints as to the identity of the 'escort' and I liked the references to Dan and Renee. I hope we will have some closure for Renee's issue, but will wait for the wise words to follow.
Many thanks and I look forward to the next episode.

Interesting

Samantha Heart's picture

I wonder who the other could be? Maybe & a munskin? Look forward to reading more of this story

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

And Add My Thanks Also

What a surprise and joy when I checked in and finding a story continuance I've been hoping for! Way cool. Can't wait for the Americans to pop in and see if I'm right about the future occupant of the last room. Very curious as to how my guess has matured over the last "four" years. Thank you and thank you to your muse. This is exciting.

Old Friends

BarbieLee's picture

Miss Page wrote an unbelievable long story, A New Style of Education which was both entertaining and in of itself educational. Not exactly a pun as English manners, places, security departments are the same but different from U.S. An exceptionally fun read of a story about especially intelligent children taken to an advanced learning school. They are not only taught ABCs but a whole lot more in the intelligence world and in social graces of the upper class.
With her exceptional writing talents put to paper, I'm positive any readers won't be disappointed in the next chapter of the young adults and their lives in this special school of learning.
Hugs Ms Page
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Happy

I am happy to see a new story to this wonderful universe that you created and shared with others. I just wish that it was year two. I personally think that it would have been more enjoyment reading things as next year and learning more of The adventures of David and Helen as Beta 1 and 2. However I am still excited by this new chapter and the continuing of the story thank you for adding this.

Jump from Year 1 to Year 5

I assume (hoping not to make an "ass out of you and me") that the jump in the story of David and Helen from Year 1 to Year 5 is due to the fact that the author for Dan and Renee, who had been in the year ahead of David and Helen, passed on from cancer and left their story unfinished.

And, I do not know if Annette MacGregor made any provisions for another author to take the baton and continue the story of Dan and Renee. The last chapter of her PSA story was posted on 2014-11-11. And the last thing she posted here on Big Closet is from 2015-07-22. I was very sad to hear that she died and left such a wonderful story unfinished.

But a big thanks goes to Karen for coming back to this universe and giving us all a glimpse of how David and Helen have matured individually and as a couple, despite the serious challenges David had with intimacy.

Greetings,
Jessica Nicole

Annette

Annette is seriously missed. However, the jump to year 5 isn't due to her passing, but how the plan unfolds. There are items that some might think of as fillers, but will see as important later on. Not just for year 5, but later stories.

This is a lovely surprise.

I don't log in here much any more, so seeing this was a lovely surprise. Looking forward to the rest. Thank you.

Arwen