A New Style of Education - Year Five - Part 5

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education - Year Five

by Karen Page

Part 5

Hayfield Music School
picture created using DALL-E


Part 5

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

"A quick quiz," called out Mr Hobson as we finished our breakfast. The room fell silent to hear what he had to say. "This is to see how much you know about the history of the Gunpowder Plot. I will ask each year a question. You can all confer. One of the years leaders for that year should call out the answer."

This was a bit different. Mr Hobson was known for mixing things up and keeping the students on their toes, but a quiz at 8am wasn't at all usual.

"Starting with year zero. What was the name of the person caught guarding the gunpowder?"

Not much conferring was required before the answer "Guy Fawkes."

"Excellent. Well done. Year one. What year did the treason event occur?"

A bit of conferring before "1605".

"On to year two. What was the aim of the Gunpowder Plot?"

They thought this was easy, and soon announced, "Blow up the House of Lords during the state opening of Parliament, killing the King."

"Half a point. You can do better than that. What was the next part of the plot, after killing the King?"

There was fumbling of phones as they quickly and surreptitiously looked it up. Eventually the response came, "Install his daughter, who was only nine, as Queen and set England back to being a catholic state."

"A more complete answer. Well done."

The questions went right up the years, and gradually got more difficult. The answers required more explanation and understanding. He'd waited until we'd finished eating before quizzing them. Keeping a room of children from their food wasn't wise.

"Well done on that impromptu quiz. Now, for years three, four and five, today's lessons aren't taking place. We have something different. It's something we've never done before, so if there are some teething issues, then please bear with us. You are going to be divided into two teams. You and your study partner will be in opposing teams. You will get an update on your phone shortly explaining which room you should go to. The staff that are in the room are there to advise on the running of the game and make sure you are okay. They aren't there to tell you what move to make. Also, two of the support staff will be in each room. They are there to make sure you are okay. At times it might be stressful and sometimes it might get upsetting. I hope not, but if you do need them, they are there. One final point. David and Helen will not be leaders in this endeavour."

He sat down, and the pupils glanced around at each other, wondering what they were going to be doing. The warning didn't sit well with them. And at a time where they might be stressed, they wouldn't be with the one they always turned to, their study partner. There were some mutterings in the lower years, upset that they were missing out on something, but that was soothed over by the support staff.

"I'm in Language Room 1," stated David, when he got his update. "I suppose it is one of the largest teaching rooms."

"I'm in the ballroom," stated Helen. "So, we're on different floors and therefore won't run into each other at toilet breaks."

Not being a leader sounded good to David, but he didn't understand why until he got to the room. Mr Yates was there and took David to one side away from the other pupils streaming in.

"Mr Hobson asked me to mention that you shouldn't take a leadership role. You and Helen will move things in a direction that won't give the desired result. He doesn't want you to keep it sane."

"Okay," agreed David looking around. "I won't disrupt the plan. Whatever it is." There were big screens around the edge of the room, and the tables had been laid out in a big horseshoe style. The seats were being occupied and David quickly went to nab a seat next to Jill.

"Here is the background," announced Mr Yates, standing at the open area of the horseshoe. "You are India. The other team are Pakistan. There is a region called Kashmir which is contested, and two wars have been fought over control. The area was split into Indian Administered and Pakistan Administered regions. Both India and Pakistan are nuclear powers. The border between the two regions is referred to as the Line of Control.

"Now the scenario. A rare mineral has been found in Kashmir which just happens to straddle the Line of Control. The concern that India have is that Pakistan will use this mineral to enhance their weapons. This resource was found by an Australian mining company and both India and Pakistan have claimed it belongs to them. Claims have been made in the media stressing this fact.

"Your goals are as follows. Get your hands on this resource before the other side do. If you don't, they might be able to threaten you with a better weapon and the population will think you are a failure."

He took out his phone and clicked on something, lighting up the screens. There was a map of the area on one. A value showing popularity within India, and the popularity in Pakistan of the opposing side. Next to it was figures showing a diplomatic figure showing how the two countries were doing with the rest of the world. Number of different militaries were on a different screen and another showing positions on a map.

"You have thirty minutes to get acquainted with the information. More information will be on the internal systems. You then have fifteen minutes to make your first move. Oh, and you won't be able to communicate with the other team, so don't even try. Every attempt will result in points deducted."

Mr Yates stepped away and after a few seconds silence, excited chatter broke out as the situation was being discussed. David watched as chaos took hold. He overheard some promising ideas, but everyone was talking but nobody was listening. There was no coordination.

After five minutes of this, David was about to get up and try to bring some order. However, one of the year four leaders, Molly, got up and stood at the front. She made a piercing whistle using her fingers in her mouth.

Silence took hold and they looked at Molly, who was stood there with a look of disappointment. "We are the top three years of the school and supposed to be highly educated. Yet I'm not seeing any discipline, coordination and certainly no planning. So, I'm going to give some advice and then step back. First elect someone who is going to lead. Be Prime Minister for India. Then decide how you are going to tackle this task. I heard some fabulous ideas, but nobody was listening."

"So how do we do this?" asked Brian.

David sighed and decided to add to the discussion. "The voting software is segmented, so Mr Hobson probably thought we would use that. Three rounds of voting each lasting two minutes. First round, vote for whoever you want, remember it can't be me. If nobody gets 50%, then the top five go to the second round. If nobody has more than 50% of the vote, we go to the last round which will be the top two."

"What if you don't want to be nominated?" asked Ryan in year three.

"Then make sure people know for round two. Or take it as an opportunity to shine. I never wanted to be a year leader, but others in my year thought Helen and I would do a good job together. There have been some tough times, but I've learnt from them. Which is why we are at school; to learn."

The vote was cast, and many others must have thought Ryan should have that opportunity, as he got more than 80% of the vote in the first round.

"Really?!" complained Ryan.

"Do you take the challenge?" enquired Molly.

Ryan was silent for a few moments, but then replied with a mischievous voice. "I'll give it a go. But I want three main advisors. I'm not going to do this alone."

Posturing, demands and counter demands covered the first few hours, but neither side gave ground. The reports on how the population felt, and opposition leaders telling us how badly we were doing, encouraged the teams to start moving the military units more aggressively.

"Your forces are facing stiff resistance," came the report when India tried to take the area covering the mineral.

More troops were brought in, and a big conventional weapons skirmish started.

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war," called Ryan with gusto.

The words "Simulation Paused" came up on the timer screen. On one of the other screens the words showed "Bonus Phrase".

"You've hit a bonus phrase," said Mr Yates, appearing from the side. "You get ten points for that. The simulation is paused for both teams. They get the same follow up question that you have, they just don't get the ten points for saying this Bonus Phrase. There are four others yet to be found. The answer for the bonus question must come from the leader, thought he can confer. For another ten points, where was the phrase originally used. Ten points for a correct answer, ten deducted for a wrong answer or zero for a pass."

"Star Trek. The Undiscovered Country." Ryan said without conferring. He was an avid Star Trek fan.

Brian face palmed when he heard that. He couldn't believe someone would go straight for the answer when they had the opportunity to confer. And to make such a rooky mistake too.

"That's ten points deducted," Mr Yates announced. "Brian, you seem to know. What's the answer?"

"Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar. Act 3, scene 1."

"Correct."

"Sorry," Ryan called out, sounding rather sheepish.

Mr Yates looked at an update on his phone. "It seems that Pakistan also got it wrong. Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

"Henry V. Act 3, scene 1," muttered Brian as the game timer restarted.

"How do you know so much Shakespeare?" Clair asked.

"I find them comforting," Brian responded. "They might have been written over 400 years ago, but they still say a lot about people. And where we might have progressed, there still is so much that hasn't. It's also good to quote Shakespeare; it makes you sound really intelligent."

That last comment got a good laugh and broke the rather tense atmosphere as our movements took place.

Our update arrived.

"Your reinforcements appear to be holding, but casualties are high. Opposition leaders are asking if the government don't care about the lives of our soldiers."

"There is still good support from the people," John pointed out, looking at the graphs on monitor. "Though it looks like there is major protests in Pakistan."

"Breaking news," came up on one of the large screens. We all laughed to see an actual BBC news reporter with a backdrop of Islamabad. "Reports are coming in that Indian troops have been instructed by Prime Minister Ryan Donald to pillage and loot the Pakistan villages they've taken over. A spokesman for Pakistan Prime Minister Julian James stated this was more expected from colonial times and revenge should be expected."

"They mentioned the two teams," laughed Clair. "How did they get a BBC reporter to take part?"

Mr Yates shrugged, "I've no idea, but it certainly added a bit to the game."

"But I didn't order looting," complained Wayne.

"Yes, you did," retorted Brian. "Cry Havok. That is an old military term for rape, plunder and pillage. Dogs of war refer to the soldiers."

Ryan looked a bit shocked. "I didn't mean-". He broke off. "I'll have to be more careful what I say. Seems flippant words can be misinterpreted."

David sat back and watched with amazement. That single report had changed the mindset in the room. It was no longer just a game. The talk changed from winning a game, to protecting the citizens and getting the mineral.

Over the next three turns in a ninety-minute period, India managed to cement their hold and encroach further into Pakistan controlled territory to set up a buffer zone. It then started to unfold. A siren went off. "Nuclear launch detected."

The sound of gasps filled the room.

"How many?" asked Ryan, knowing others would have that page open.

"Five at the moment. Two are heading towards Ludhiana. Two are heading towards Delhi. One is heading for Amritsar. Fighters have already been scrambled for any air dropped bombs."

"Let's nuke their main cities," someone cried out. "Destroy them so they can never hit us again." This was met with a chorus of approval.

"Hang on," spoke up Jill, standing up to get attention. "They've only sent five. It's more of an attempted show of strength, rather than anything too serious. It just makes them look weak. They only sent five and not the fifty we know they do have. India is well spaced. They must know that retaliation will be a lot worse for them than it is for us. Their ballistic missile technology is old. We should be able to try and shoot them down. If one gets through, then retaliate. They aren't even aiming for our missile siloes, so there is no rush for retaliation. Also, if we do, we don't know who else will try to get involved."

There was stillness for a few seconds before the chant of "nuke them" returned.

"I don't know," started Ryan, before tailing off.

"Don't be a wuss," someone called out.

"They deserve it. Wipe them all out."

David was incensed at the name calling. He got to stand up but felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked back to see Mr Yates shaking his head.

Jill was right. What started as a disagreement between two states suddenly started pulling in other players. And then America, Russia and China started throwing missiles. Once one went up, there was no time for proper discussions and governments reacted out of panic. The pupils watched in horror as maps showed missile hit after missile hit. Screens that showed injured/killed between just two states were now showing millions dead in India, and many hundreds of millions killed across Europe/America and Asia.

The boisterousness was gone. The room was deathly silent as the horror didn't stop and the death count kept growing. A few were crying. At least one retched and disappeared out to the toilets. After a few minutes, the screens went blank. The shock of what had happened still resonated, and the room was silent. Nobody moved.

Eventually, the subdued voice of Mr Yates said gently. "Please make your way to the cinema where you will join the other group. Mr Hobson wants a few words regarding this simulation."

In the cinema, David and Helen sat down in their usual place. Hand in hand quietly conferring about what had occurred on each side. They kept giving each other's hands gentle strokes with their fingers.

"No wonder we weren't allowed to be leaders," said Helen quietly to David. "We'd did those simulations as part of our Beta training. Would we have let it get like that?"

"Who knows," David responded. "I hope not. However, Mr Hobson was right. If we had taken part, it might have stopped the outcome he obviously wanted."

"Thank you for taking part in that workshop," Mr Hobson said subduedly from the front. "Before we pick things apart, I'd like you to reflect on what has happened and the choices you made. On your tablet, open up the workshop app, and there should be a new segment to do with this review. In there, you will be prompted to put in three things you think the team did well, what you individually did well, and then what you think you and the team did badly."

After a few minutes, the review closed, and a few phrases flashed onto the screen behind him. The larger the text, the more people had said the same thing.

"I'm glad to see you are being honest about it your successes and failures. Nobody is perfect, and we set the task to be stressful. One thing that came out was most of you fell into the mob mindset. Even when one person warned against the most destructive actions, they were drowned out and not considered. Things like negotiation skills, will be something new for all years, and if we get chance have some interesting lessons for all the school in the New Year.

"Tina, you have your hand raised?"

"Were you aiming for something like the Zimbardo Prison Experiment?"

Mr Hobson looked blank, but Dr Ruiz, who was stood next to him certainly knew what Tina was referring to. So did most of the other psychiatrists who were stood at the front. Some of them looked extremely upset.

"No," said Rachel Ruiz, her voice sounding strained. "It wasn't anything like that. For those who are wondering what Tina was referring to, there was an experiment in the early 1970's. A fake prison was constructed in the basement of Stanford University in America. Twelve psychiatry students were selected at random to be prisoners and twelve as jailers. The aim was to see how subjects, even though they knew it was an experiment, would react. The experiment was halted after six days when the guards were getting abusive to the prisoners, and the prisoners were getting signs of depression, and anxiety. The reviews since have been very scathing of it."

"Wow," uttered Mr Hobson. "Today wasn't an experiment of any kind. It was a start of a series of lessons on group skills, co-ordination, listening, and strategy. You listened to "the mob". We don't live in a democracy; we live in a parliamentary democracy. As citizens we hand power to politicians to make choices on our behalf. We don't always think they make the right decisions, but some things, such as protection of minorities might not occur without them."

"Hopefully you will get a lot out of the upcoming lessons, and none will be as stressful as today. In that vein, each of you will be getting a meeting invite from your support person to go over today's lesson. Some will be today, the rest tomorrow. Finally, one bit of homework for you. One of the comments was to destroy the other side, so they could never hit them again. I'd like you to read two books. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and Eon by Greg Bear. A note will go out to you with those titles."

"Before you go, Helen wants a word with you."

The adults left, leaving just the pupils. Helen got up and made her way to the front.

"That wasn't a nice lesson," she stated. "However, what's upset me most was a few resorted to name calling. I know the workshop was designed to be immersive, but we are the upper half of the school. I'm not going to single out those who did it, but hopefully you will reflect on what you did. The support staff also noticed, so perhaps they should think up some type of penance before they think up something for you."

"I've just read up about Eon. It sounds so outdated," said Lewis, to David as they walked out. "Russia starting a war? Surely that is something in the past."

* * *

Armistice Day; the eleventh day of the eleventh month. This was the day that marked the anniversary when the guns fell silent at the end of World War One. A horrific war where hundreds of thousands of people had died. The concert tonight was a fitting tribute, with music reflecting the horrors of war, and pieces of reflection. It was also the first concert that Zoe would conduct one of the pieces.

Jayne smiled, remembering her first concert at this school, as Mavis Brown had been seated in the same position four years ago. The only thing she could think that was different was the music being played and her age. She was four years older, and her eyes had been opened to a world that she'd previously known nothing about.

The applause from the concert was still in their ears as the orchestra exited the hall. As Jayne went into the wings, she saw Mr Hobson talking with Luke and was beckoned across.

"Ah, Jayne, I was thinking it would be nice if you mingled with our guests. Would you mind Luke accompanying you?"

"Not at all."

Helen went past and mouthed 'Have fun'. She would be making sure the after-concert party went well.

Luke looked rather nervous as Jayne led him towards the guest reception. This didn't go unnoticed to Jayne who stopped. "You look like you're going to throw up. What are you worried about?"

"I've never been to something where everyone is so dressed up. We don't normally meet the guests at a concert."

"There is always a first for everything. You know the school would never put you through something they didn't think you could cope with. I remember four years ago being in the same position as you. I had the added complication of not being in my birth gender and had only been like that a few weeks."

Luke's eyes opened wider. "You were David for the concert?"

Jayne almost laughed out loud. "No Luke, I was born as David."

"Sorry," Luke uttered, looking totally mortified. "I gave up trying to guess after about a week at school. I found it didn't really matter and it just caused Tina to get anxious."

In a normal setting, not knowing someone's birth gender would seem a bit strange. However, at Hayfield they were all so expert at displaying as either gender, the lines often blurred. Jayne never hid who she was, but it wasn't something she advertised.

"It's okay. I take it you assumed that because even when I'm David, I seem a bit on the girly side?"

Luke didn't respond. "Don't sweat it. It took me a long time to understand who I was, and much longer to understand the way others saw me wasn't an issue. I prefer to be David but have long ago realised that unless I make a big effort, everyone will see me as Jayne."

"So why have you been Jayne the last few days if you prefer being David?"

"Because there is someone here tonight that only knows me as Jayne. The concert was arranged so this person could come to the school in an unobtrusive way."

"I take it we won't just be talking with this person."

"No, we will be mingling. I'm sure some people will want to ask about the school and the orchestra."

"Are they in the know?"

"What do you think?"

"Probably not."

"There is one person who I saw in the audience which does know, but we will not say anything different as it might be overheard. Now, are you ready to do this?"

Luke took a deep breath and said, "Let's do it, before I chicken out."

"That's the spirit."

Luke was still nervous when they got to the reception, but that was fine. They mingled with several people before they came across their target. Luke soon got into the swing of small talk.

"Ah, a face I've seen at the concerts before," Jayne said, as she approached Mavis Brown. "Ms Brown, wasn't it?"

"Have we met before?" she enquired, her eyebrows showing a tiny indication she was puzzled.

"Four years ago. If I remember right, you were the person who found the seat lumpy. I was one of the soloists in that concert and we met after."

"Gosh, haven't you grown up," she smiled. "Yes, that was me. I take it the person you were with at the reception has left now."

"Yes, but that's what happens at schools. I hope the seat was more comfortable this time."

"A little, though I still got a bit fidgety at one time, but so did the person next to me. I must say that it was nice to see the students doing the conducting. It seemed fitting to have a school orchestra being conducted that way."

"Gosh, has it been that long since you last came here?" Jayne uttered in pretend horror. "We've had Lewis conducting for years now."

"And Zoe did a great job in her first performance," added Luke.

"That was her first?" asked Mavis, sounding genuinely surprised. "You've got to be kidding, she was like a pro."

"I'll tell her," Luke smiled. "I'm sure she will be happy to hear it."

"Oh, please do," Mavis gushed. "And the last piece. It just went straight to my soul."

The conversation eventually died, and they moved on to mingle with others. It made little sense to them that nothing had been passed on, but they concluded the information was probably given to someone else.

Eventually they came across the other person Jayne wanted to talk to.

"Ah, Jayne," Yvonne Taylor greeted. "It is great to see you again." She turned and said, "And you must be Luke. It's wonderful to meet you at last."

Luke kept his face straight even though he was surprised at someone knowing who he was. "It is a pleasure to meet you ma'am." He looked at Jayne, as if to ask to be introduced, but Jayne just shook her head.

"I'd like you both to meet my daughter. This is the first time she's had the opportunity to accompany me to a Hayfield concert."

"It was wonderful," said the young woman, obviously at ease in the rather expensive gown she was wearing. "Thank you for making our evening. Today is always a sober day for us both and your music was a perfect way to remember-" she trailed off.

"Your other parent?" suggested Yvonne.

Yvonne's daughter looked around nervously. Jayne leaned across and said quietly to the girl, "Your mum has a lot to tell you about the school, but if I understand correctly, then never worry here." The girl looked even more puzzled. Even more quietly, Jayne whispered, "Our secret, but I was born David."

The young woman looked shocked. Jayne stood back and put an index finger to her lips.

"Any news?" enquired Yvonne.

"No, but the night is still young."

"Not that young," frowned Yvonne. The room wasn't as full as when they'd started chatting and they watched as Mavis headed out of the reception area, obviously going home. "Oh well, I suppose we better be heading home too."

"It was nice meeting you," said Luke and watched them leave.

"Well done, Luke," Jayne praised, as she and Luke headed through the door away from the reception. "For a first time with people like that, you did very well."

"Dare I ask who that lady was?"

"She was the chair of governors. As you might have gathered, she knows what goes on at the school including the Alpha and Beta team. I've only met her a few times myself. I've never met her daughter before and have no idea what she's called. Now, are you ready for a bit more eye opening?"

"How much of this can I share with Tina?"

"All. Remember, no secrets. However, I'm sure you are aware that you can't share this with anybody else."

"Of course. So where are we going?"

"All in good time," Jayne laughed.

It wasn't long before they were at Mr Hobson's office and being ushered in. Mr Hobson wasn't alone but had Mr Taylor with him.

When all were seated, Mr Taylor eagerly asked, "And?"

"Nothing," Jayne responded, having expected him to have the information. "I take it you didn't get anything?"

"No. We thought she might have left something for us, but we haven't found anything. We even searched her seat. Are you sure she didn't say something? Perhaps drop a hint?"

Replaying the conversation in her mind, Jayne tried to find anything she'd missed. "No. Something doesn't seem right with what she said, but I can't place any clue. What about you, Luke?"

"Nothing comes to mind," Luke said instantly.

"All very strange," frowned Mr Taylor. It wasn't the situation he'd been expecting. "Okay, thank you both for your work this evening. If you do think of something, then please let Mr Hobson know."

That was enough of a dismissal for the two pupils, who rose and quickly left the room.

"I'm sorry," apologised Luke. "I don't seem to have been any help."

"Hey, I wasn't really much good in my first year as a Beta, and tonight I've done no better than you. The school takes opportunities for students to grow. You'd never had a chance to mix like that before, so now was an excellent opportunity. I remember some of my first times with fond memories."

"But why me and not Tina?"

"Pass. Mr Hobson might have seen you first. He might have thought you were more smartly dressed or maybe it was something else. I doubt you feel brave enough to ask him."

"No way," shuddered Luke.

"Nor me. Now, let's go and find Helen and Tina."

* **

Jayne decided it would be nice for Helen to have Jayne around for a bit longer, and so it was the feminine form that went to bed that night. However, sleep was elusive. Jayne couldn't get the evening out of her mind and kept moving around the bed.

"Tell me again your conversation with Mavis," demanded Helen.

Jayne felt guilty that her restlessness was keeping Helen awake. Frustration surged through her as she repeated the conversation. She thought there must have been some hint in there, but she wasn't seeing it.

"And they searched the seat Mavis sat on?"

"Yes, it was one of the first places checked."

"What about the seat next to her? You mentioned Mavis saying her neighbours also found things lumpy."

"But none of them were connected to Mavis."

"No, but it might have been a hint that she'd put it there."

It was way past curfew. They donned their dressing gowns and crept into the main building. Helen had been insistent they check now, because if it was there, Jayne might go to sleep. It wasn't the first time they'd broken curfew and knew the potential consequences if caught.

The hall was dark, with the bulbs from the emergency lights giving off strange red dots on the ceiling. The phones at maximum brightness let them see roughly where they were going.

After a few moments searching, Helen found what they were looking for. A USB flash drive was stuck to the inside edge of the chair with a large blob of blue tack. It was too early in the morning to let Mr Hobson know, so Helen and Jayne made their way quietly back to their bedroom.

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" Mr Hobson queried, making them both jump.

"Yes, sir." It had been a few years since either of them had been in serious trouble and they started conjuring up thoughts of all sorts of punishments.

"Did you find it?"

That wasn't what either of the two pupils expected Mr Hobson to say. He didn't seem upset. Jayne reluctantly pulled out the flash drive out of her pocket and showed it. She'd been hoping for a little peak at the contents.

"That's excellent news," smiled Mr Hobson, making no attempt to take it. "I'm sure you'll bring it down to me in the morning. Obviously, it was too late for you to ring me at this awful hour and anyway, you aren't really out of bed, are you? I'm sure you will make a good show at finding it first thing in the morning." Then with a smile, he wished the two pupils pleasant dreams before ambling off.

Helen and Jaye looked at each other in bewilderment. Sometimes Mr Hobson made no sense at all. Not wanting to be caught by anybody else, they quickly scarpered back to their bedroom.

"Come on Jayne," grumbled Helen, who was quickly back in bed.

"I'll just be a minute."

"What are you doing?"

"Just sorting something out."

"You're looking at the flash drive," Helen accused.

Jayne was so engrossed with the contents, that she didn't respond. Helen's arms being placed around her gave her a small shock, and she yelped.

"So?"

"Have a read yourself. My computer is hooked into the secure network. I'm going to the toilet."

Helen was a much quicker reader, so by the time Jayne was back in the room, she'd read enough.

"This can't be true," Helen insisted, looking shocked.

"Even if only half is true then this country is in big trouble. I'm sure that Mr Taylor will get it verified. If it is true, then I'm sure we might be seeing one of the other schools doing a concert here in England."

* * *

Oversees concerts or events weren't thrown together overnight. Whichever school did visit the UK, they wouldn't stay at Hayfield. If something did go wrong, they wouldn't want Hayfield being associated with anything happening on UK soil. The only time that nearly did occur in the UK, was a big enough scare to make the rule a compulsory one for all SPA schools worldwide. Keeping an eye on the other schools David eventually spotted the trip. A sister school in Italy were given a chance to show their pieces of art at a special showing in London. Sitting in the street painting was also a good way to watch movements in and out of buildings without attracting the wrong attention.

David knew that while the Italian school was here, there would be no call. If something did go wrong, the Hayfields Alpha team wasn't the first to assist in person, but the Italian Beta team would be. Even so, he carried his Beta phone with him each of the days the Italians were on UK soil. Nothing was mentioned and he was quite relieved to spot that they'd arrive safely back in Italy.

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you!

A very engaging chapter that lives up in every way to all that's gone before. I keep going back to the SPA Universe, it's so enjoyable, in part because the cast is so varied.

Warm regards,
Stalya

Wow!

Hi Karen,

thank you for this new chapter!
Did you restart writing ANSoE lately or where these parts already written some time ago?

Martina

Writing time

Some scenes were written while still doing year 1. However, a lot progressed and I rewrote it all in third person after fully sketching out what will happen. Please note, there will be a gap until the next block of deliveries.

Sneak Peak

Karen gave us a sneak peak of one scene in this chapter in the story Remembrance Day about a year ago.

In any other school the seats

In any other school the seats would have had to be put away after the concert.
I am glad they didn't have to get them back out of the chair store and search them all.

Not necessarily so……

D. Eden's picture

My high school had a large auditorium with permanent seating. As I played in three separate bands while in school, I spent a fair amount of time there. All of our practices and concerts were held there, as was the regional youth orchestra and all of the choral groups.

We also put on musicals and plays there every year as well.

The school my children attended also had a permanent auditorium, although it was considerably smaller as they attended a smaller school district than I did.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

At Times

Samantha Heart's picture

Those two teens are TOO smart for their own good lol. However it is these smarts that got them on the Beta team in the first place.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

How long until the next chapters?

Hi Karen,

I came across the prequel "A new style of education" on fictionmania and ended up here because it was suddenly no longer continued there after part 37. (Perhaps you can still submit the missing parts there!?)

I love your narrative style, which allows you to completely empathize with the characters and immerse yourself in the story.

That's why I was a little disappointed that you started this sequel story in the 5th year (final year) and that we couldn't take part in the relationship development of David/Jayne and Helen/Christopher in years 2-4.

Year 2 in particular would have been exciting to see how David and Hellen cope with Andy and Stacy leaving school.

Will the reader actually find out what Sam's issue is/was in the course of this sequel?

In the backstory we can read that they told his classmates before moving to America, but it wasn't named for the reader.

Finally, I would like to say that I would like to see Mix-Up Mondays introduced in all schools in the world.
Not only that you can teach and spread tolerance in the simplest, playful way. It would also help many children discover themselves in a safe space who might otherwise never get the chance to do so.

I have no idea where this story has been hiding all this time

Ok, ok, ok, maybe it was MY fault that I - TOTALLY - missed reading these chapters sooner. (Though I strongly dispute that!) GREAT STORY though it seems to be only a teaser. I sincerely hope there is more to come.

An Avid Reader