Changing Roles - Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

th1E5FMWIT.jpg

Changing Roles
By Julie Dawn Cole
Chapter 16

I nervously headed to the door for the ladies restroom and two middle age women were just coming out as I reached to push the door. They were chattering and luckily they never acknowledged me as I stepped aside to let them pass. So typical these days since manners seem to have gone out of the window.

I nervously entered and was relieved to see that there was nobody else present. It was a large place with lots of cubicles, so I headed to the furthest away from the entry. At least I’d have a wall on one side and hopefully less chance of anybody else using the next cubicle. It was a relief to sit a while and I nervously looked at my phone for any messages and switched it to photo so I could see my face up close. The style that Jillian recommended did look good and there was no way I was going to be able to adopt my usual ponytail as it was too short at the back and longer at the sides. I guessed the best option might be to book a few days holiday and stay away from the office until we’d seen Jack and then maybe to have a shorter style that would appear more masculine.

I looked in Emily’s bag to find some wipes, but they weren’t suitable for the face to remove make-up. I wanted to keep it on anyway, so I didn’t search with any real commitment.

Since nobody had entered whilst I emptied my bladder and took photos, I finished my business and crossed to the sinks where I got a full view of myself in the large well-lit mirrors. With expert make-up and a new hairstyle, I could see a woman looking back and all signs of Julian had melted away. I really liked what I saw, and I felt my stomach churning with excitement. It was the opportunity I’d always wanted so I didn’t know why I was being so stupid. If Emily felt it was feminine and was happy to be seen with me then why should I be so nervous about colleagues. She would be with me and no doubt she would step in if necessary. My apprehension was more to do with my immediate family but all three were in various stages of dementia and they were deteriorating rapidly and hardly recognising me. The care home staff didn’t seem to have time to be concerned about my change in appearance and they were rushed off their feet most of the time and relieved to let families spend time together.

The door opened and two women entered chattering away. One stared at me in the mirror and I suspected she realised I wasn’t female and that she was going to make a scene. However, I was wrong she just smiled and complemented me on my hair and asked me who had styled it. Nervously I gave her Jillian’s name and told her about their location in the mall.

My first real visit to an all-female restroom free of trans girls and transvestites and thanks to Emily for sending me alone. Such a small event boosted my confidence enormously and I almost skipped back to where Emily was waiting.

‘All OK then? Any problems?’

’No problems and it was quite strange really. I was alone admiring the make-over and then two women entered, and they seemed to treat me as if I was in the right place and even asked about my new hairstyle.’

‘So there we are then. We just need to change your outfit and you can totally relax and we can spend the day as I hoped and let you explore some more.’

‘Emily, can I ask you something please? Why are you pushing me to become more feminine? You don’t know me and yet you’ve seemed to encourage me from day 1 and some friends think that I’ve been weak in just accepting my changing role and not standing up for myself. Now I am starting to look like a woman that seems to be what you want. It can’t be just because of your brother surely?’

‘True. It’s not just that. I guess I wanted to see how beautiful you really are, and I sensed how feminine you were when we first met. I did have some advance information and you weren’t singled out for redundancy by the board or expected to take leave like George. I was asked to establish if you had the necessary respect and authority to remain as Managing Director and it was a split decision between board members. I am quite happy to take the role of CEO and Managing Director and I do believe that you are more suited to a support role. I’ve already told my uncle that there is a lot of work to do here, far more than anticipated and I want the challenge.’

‘So, the intention was to bring in a new CEO with me retaining my position as MD?’

‘Yes, it was part of my brief but I don’t think that you are cut out for so much responsibility. You have a lot of knowledge and skill that is beneficial, and I wouldn’t like to lose you.’

‘But Emily that’s so unfair. How can you make such a judgement in such a short time?’

‘ Because I’m paid to do that, and I believe that I’m a good judge of character. You seem much happier as each day goes by. I’ve already seen the change in you.’

‘Of course, you have, and the changes are going to be difficult to explain. I was just accepted as a woman in the restroom without the blink of an eye.’

‘Come on Julie admit it. You like the new look and I feel you prefer your new role. Let’s have a day at the spa together and if that is too embarrassing, I promise we’ll leave immediately, and I’ll drop you home.’

‘But then what? Do I lose my job? Is it your decision or does it need Board approval?’

‘Oh Julie at times you are such a wimp. It’s my decision of course. I took the job based on no interference.’

I was stunned into silence for a few minutes and my mind was racing. Why had I been so stupid to accept the change of role, and could I really trust and believe Emily? I felt that I could but she had a vested interest of course. She would get my job as well as my former bosses and she seemed to like the power and the chance to make a name for herself. What was not to like?

‘Look Julie lets go sort out the clothes we set aside. If you don’t want them we’ll just put them back on the rails and even cancel the spa day Is that what you want?’

‘I don’t really know what I want at the moment. I’m more confused than I was a few days ago since my appearance has changed. I don’t seem to look like myself anymore.’

‘Well what’s your problem then. Wouldn’t it be nice if we just carry on shopping for a while? We can look around for something else and call back to collect the other things later. You might as well enjoy your new look for the rest of the afternoon and get our moneys worth. Who knows how you will then feel.’
I accepted that was something I’d like to do. I liked the feeling and Emily was with me to deflect any unwanted attention or suspicions. I had never had the chance to do out much in the daytime and I could continue shopping whilst presenting as female in daylight hours with a much more feminine look. Emily smiled and nodded and then she hooked my arm in hers and guided me towards an accessories shop. It displayed purses, wallets and handbags of all sizes and styles and in a variety of colours.

‘I think you need a small cosmetic bag and a casual bag for starters then maybe a small clutch if our dinner date is still on tonight. Are you up for a nice quiet dinner somewhere after we call home to change?’

‘But you won’t have much time to go to your place and change by the time we’ve finished, will you?’

‘I thought you might let me spruce myself up at your place. I have a bag in the car boot. I always carry one for emergencies.’

‘I was a little taken aback at the speed of things and worried that my apartment might not look as smart as it should. I’d barely had enough time to worry about my chores in the last week or so. I nodded and said as long as she would forgive any mess.

Whilst I did have bags and accessories in my spare room I accepted Emily’s advice on a small selection, one of which she felt I should use for work. She insisted I try some custom jewellery and a small less manly wristwatch and two rings. The bill was escalating out of control and was well outside my budget.

‘Now then Julie let’s go to the sports shop and kit you out for something more suitable for tomorrow at the spa. Something more casual I think with some flats or tennis shoes.

By 4pm I was whacked out and ready to take a shower and relax. Emily still had lots of energy and had purchase lots of things for herself as well as for me.

As we drove to my place I felt myself nodding and I must have fallen asleep since we seemed to be home in minutes. Emily helped me carry all my bags to my apartment as well as her overnight bag. First priority was to dump the bags and quickly tidy around whilst Emily used the restroom. Then we shared a nice pot of tea and sat down to relax.

Emily was going to wear her black trousers with heels that meant she’d be taller than me and she had a nice dress shirt that was good for any restaurant requiring smart attire. I offered her the use of the guest bathroom to shower and change and I unpacked my shopping bags and then took a shower in my ensuite. I was tempted to take a peak at Emily since she was so gorgeous but mainly through envy rather than voyeurism. I resisted the urge.

Emily suggested that I wore a skirt and blouse with a small heel so we could visit a nice seafood restaurant rather than an average snack type place and scanned for something a little more upmarket.

‘We need to show off your new look and seafood is not too filling is it? How about some lobster or seabass or something for a nice change?’

I had been spoiled enough but I couldn’t refuse.

We reserved a table for 6pm and arrived on schedule that was a short taxi ride since Emily wanted to relax and have a drink to celebrate my first day out as Julie. She kept referring to it as my Coming Out that did bring a blush to my cheeks each time. It was nice to be welcomed and addressed as ladies but I was nervous in case any other customers I knew might be dining there. A quick scan of the restaurant didn’t identify anybody but it was still early and the tables weren’t fully occupied.

I let Emily choose our meal and she insisted on a sharing plate of seafood followed by grilled seabass fillets with a few potatoes. We shared a bottle of white wine. I knew that the seafood platter would overface me and that I’d make a mess even though the restaurant supplied hand protectors like surgeons gloves. I didn’t disappoint. Emily just laughed and kept passing me fresh wipes. She consumed most of the fresh crab, especially the claws and legs whilst I focused on the prawns and the mussels. It would have been sufficient for me but I knew that we had the seabass to come. Light but delicious with a sauce.

We chatted all through dinner and eventually the subject of her brother was raised. She wanted to visit him the following weekend and she wanted me to join her as Julie and to attend a party together to which he’d been invited with a close friend. Was this the pressing need for me to present as Julie so that she didn’t look out of place?

‘A whole weekend as Julie? Are you sure? In London?’

‘Yes. Nothing wrong with that is there? It’s his 25th birthday. Or hers should I say and her partner will be there along with a lot of their close friends. I really need to go so will you come with me? We have a company apartment we can use. I checked and it’s free all weekend.’

I was a little taken aback. A weekend in London with Emily, as boss and PA, in a company apartment, with me presenting as female. What if the board found out or any employees for that matter? Should I insist to go as myself and just dress for the function and what of her brother and his friends? I didn’t even think to ask his name.

‘But Emily this is a bit of a shock. Are you sure I would not cause you embarrassment? People could find out at work and make two and two add up to any number you want to think of. I don’t know anybody and if I went as Julie I’d be asking for trouble for both of us. Where is the apartment and how private is it? I don’t even know your brothers name? Why me of all people? Why not a real friend?’

‘The apartment is in Kensington so it’s a really nice location a stones throw from the Kensington Palace and the Royal Albert Hall. It’s a Pride weekend in London so it’s more likely to be more embarrassing for me than you. Lots of Jackies friends will be attending with several from Canada. They all meet regularly at these gatherings. The party is at a venue just off Kensington High Street.’

‘Is there any family attending? What about your mum?’

‘My mum no but my cousins will be there as far as I know. I should at least show my face. T think there is an event at the Royal Albert Hall that a lot of his friends are attending. They intend to announce their engagement based on what he’s told me but mum prefers to stay away.’

‘Well I would like to help if I can but are you sure about this. It’s a strange request considering we hardly know each other.’

‘It would mean a lot to me and I’d feel more comfortable. I know that Jackie want me to be there. I never met his/her partner.’

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Bonus Chapter

Dee Sylvan's picture

I mistakenly thought shopping was over, but a trip to the ladies room is always enlightening. Julie is steadily moving toward the forbidden fruit of full time presenting as a woman. Emily is quickly becoming Julie's BFF, or is it more than that? It would be a bit awkward but I get the feeling of more of an older sister vibe with Emily. I think Julie is now understanding how she can be a key ingredient to Emily's success. She has looked in a mirror and likes what she sees, but... Julie really needs to follow her heart, it won't mislead her.

I am looking forward to a 100% Julie when they meet with Jack. I think she can pull off the meeting if she just fully commits to it. I still think there is a romantic connection that will come Julie/Julian's way, I just don't think it will be Emily. I am looking forward to the spa day, I hope Julie is too.

DeeDee

Mentoring

joannebarbarella's picture

It always requires gentle pressure to move from one role to another and Emily is providing that for Julie. All Julie is now missing is the self-confidence to present as a female. She should have been boosted by her encounter in the loo. Once she gets over her nervousness I am sure she will "transition" smoothly into the woman that she clearly wants to be. I think that if she has satisfactory meetings with Jack and Emily's sister Jackie the die will be cast.

I see Emily as a BFF rather than a lover but I could be wrong. Although she comes across as strong and independent she needs Julie's knowledge and loyalty to support her and she has seen that she can manoeuvre Julian to become Julie both as a means to an end and at the same time satisfying the inner woman in Julie.

This is a gentle story and makes me wish I was Julie!

Somehow

Wendy Jean's picture

I expect there will be a plot twist soon.