Changing Roles - Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

th1E5FMWIT.jpg

Changing Roles
By Julie Dawn Cole
Chapter 8

Emily didn’t want us hanging around the car park and she wanted to get back to the office before 4 pm so she could meet with Jack Henshaw before he left for the day. She stopped at the first services for fuel and so we could have a snack and a drink. We needed to use the restrooms after our snacks that weren’t very appetising and whilst Melanie and Emily headed one-way, I headed to the men’s. I was stopped by a large muscular guy who didn’t speak he just pointed me to the ladies. I was so embarrassed I just froze and for a moment I didn’t know what to do. He wasn’t rude but he clearly waited until I did as he said. It wasn’t as if I had much choice since I was bursting.

Emily and Melanie had already disappeared, so I followed them. They were hardly likely to make a scene or complain and I just hoped it was quiet. I looked straight ahead and headed for an empty cubicle. Only 2 were engaged so at least it was just the three of us. I sat and waited listening to Melanie and Emily chatter, but it was just simple girl-talk and nothing work related. As I heard them leave I opened the door to check myself in the mirror and wash my hands. A young woman entered but didn’t look in my direction, so I dried my hands and headed for the door. I hoped Emily and Melanie wouldn’t see me leave and they were across the hallway still chatting.

Emily spoke as I joined them. ‘You took a while is everything OK? You look a bit flustered.’

‘I’m embarrassed. I just got stopped going into the gents by a large brute of a man who pointed me to the ladies. He probably knew I was a man but he looked at me as if I was some sort of pervert.’
‘Well it’s not like it was busy and you didn’t meet anybody in there did you? I doubt anybody would take much notice you since we all respect each other’s privacy. You do look more like a businesswoman than a man so no harm done.’

Melanie chipped in ‘Yes and with your bag on your shoulder I can understand the confusion. It wouldn’t bother me as long as you were there to use the facilities. I guess you are used to passing for female in public.’

Bitch! I decided not to react, and we headed to the car. Emily decided that Melanie should drive and we would sit in the back so Emily could dictate some notes for me to type up and make a few calls. Melanie like the cat that got the cream as she looked at me in the drivers mirror with a big smile on her face. It was no big deal to me but it did remind me that I needed to get hold of her car so I could visit mum and dad. I’d neglected them but the only upside was that neither would know much about it.

‘Come on Jules please come back to earth. Let’s get started so do you have your notebook to hand please.’ Was this deliberate to put me in my place? Was anything that urgent?

I produced my notepad from my bag and she acknowledged my readiness and smiled at me. ‘I think you are doing really well Jules. I am pleased that I decided to give you this opportunity.’
‘Thank you. I’m trying my best but it’s not easy.’ Melanie was almost ready to burst out giggling. I could see her looking at me in the mirror.
‘ I had a feeling I could bring out your feminine as soon as we met. You are very androgenous and people are sure to hesitate when they first meet you. You seem at ease and quite calm despite being challenged. Maybe I should allow you to wear this outfit style every day since it suits your figure and it does emphasise your femininity. You’ll fit in better as we change working practices.’

‘Thanks I just didn’t want to let you down today in front of Rao. I can’t believe how easily you put him in such a difficult position. I would never had guessed he had bribed one of our key staff so he could cheat us out of millions.’

‘Maybe you were too nice for the job Jules. You see the good in people and you are very trusting. I checked Rao through contacts from my uncle and he has swindled a few people over the years. In his culture it is much more accepted than in ours, so he has no qualms about his behaviour. I just asked myself how he was able to take ownership without paying and how he had avoided being struck off as a Company Director. I think all three production guys let you down. I’ll be dealing with that in the next few days but please keep this to yourselves.’

I was quite capable of confidentiality, but I wasn’t confident that Melanie would do the same. She was still immature even though she was talented and doing very well. I guessed that it was going to be a test so hopefully she’d understand her new responsibilities and take care.
The next hour seemed to flash by. I called Jack Henshaw and told him that Emily wanted to meet him in her office at 4-30pm then Emily rattled off several letters to directors and senior staff. I did my best to keep up with her as she dictated and had little experience to call on. I didn’t have much chance to think about what she was dictating but it seemed that she was outlining her strategy and action plan to turn the business around. From what I understood she was saying I was surprised how much she had grasped about our business in such a short time. She did ask my opinion on a few things, but I was caught out with little to contribute so she just carried on. I was being very careful not to appear to disagree and I didn’t want to be critical given my circumstances. Jack had been a bit rude when he took my call, so it was a good job we weren’t on loudspeaker. He wasn’t very respectful to me either and even though I tried to keep my phone close to my mouth so his voice couldn’t be heard I sensed Emily picked up on it.

Emily was expecting Rao to respond before we arrived back at the office so she checked her e-mails and messages regularly. I sensed that despite her confidence she was still nervous and I really hoped that her strategy worked. I knew it would give everybody at work a big boost even if it was proof that she was the right choice to take over from George and I. She was so confident in herself. I wanted to say something and to reach out and hold her hand but I resisted.

As we arrived at the office to park the car Emily had one last look at her phone. ‘Yes. He’s sent a message to say the money will be in our account tomorrow and he will send the proof within half an hour. He asked for his plant to be started so they could set up production for tomorrow. He can sweat a bit. I need to see Jack Henshaw first.’

My first job was to make a pot of fresh coffee for Emily whilst she freshened up in her en-suite toilet. I poured one for her and admired how she looked so cool and relaxed as she sat behind her desk. She was beautiful and she knew that men found her very attractive and were distracted.

‘Jules what are you doing tonight? Anything planned?’

‘Well I’m picking up my car I hope and I had thought of popping to see my parents.’

‘OK that’s a priority. I was going to invite you to dinner so we could have a proper chat about the business and my expectations. I think it’s better if we talk away from the office where we won’t get interrupted.’

‘But you have a meeting with Jack Henshaw. I don’t have to go tonight so it depends on you really. You’re the boss.’

‘Well if you don’t mind postponing your visit I’d really like to buy you dinner. You’ve taken the changes in your stride without causing me any trouble.’

I couldn’t miss up this chance to protect my future earnings so I quickly decided it was the right thing to accept the invite. ‘Do you want me to make a reservation somewhere? What sort of time do you think?’

‘Lets say 7pm and I’ll leave the choice of venue to you. Somewhere quiet would be nice that serves good food. I think we deserve a nice dinner.’

‘Do you want anybody else to join us? Anything you don’t like?’

‘It will just be the two of us. I like most things so you choose. You don’t need to worry about the price it’s my treat.’

I’d never been much of a socialiser as Julian and dinner dates were mainly on business. It was always me doing the inviting, so dinner and lunch meetings were always quite formal and focused heavily on business. Not that it was a common occurrence. I did know a few good safe restaurants based on my outings as Julie with the few friends, but I couldn’t really go there with Emily for fear of being recognised. I opted for an up-market restaurant on the outskirts of the City that had a 5 star rating and secluded dining. I imagined it was the sort of place that Emily was used to visiting coming from a wealthy background. There was no problem making a reservation and I expected it was because it was midweek and expensive for the average Joe.

I let Emily know and she said I could leave early to collect my car since she was meeting with Jack Henshaw and didn’t need anything. She offered to pick me up at my apartment at 6-30 pm and before I left the office I thanked her and confirmed the venue and the time of our reservation. I made a fresh pot of coffee and placed it on a tray with cups and saucers. I would have time to shower and change as long as the car was ready.

At the garage I was met by one of the salesmen who hardly seemed old enough to be out of school. He was called Alex and he was slightly built with his hair in a pony tail as I liked to wear mine. I found out later that he was the owners son learning the ropes. Not exactly a typical car salesperson. He greeted me and sat me down in a waiting area on a low seat and for some reason I automatically cross my legs and sat forward on the seat. He offered me a drink whilst he gathered the various documents and the service record for the vehicle. He seemed to be following a strict procedure and ticking things off from his check list.

‘Are you the colleague of Melanie? I understand she was kind enough to sell it to you since she’s now got a company car. Ms Cole, isn’t it? ‘

Surely, he could tell I was a man unless I’d misheard. If he was good at his job he’d see that the documents had my name and address in black and white. Was he blind? He was much more effeminate than my first impression of him and possibly gay so maybe he just treated customers as he found them and had no prejudices. I wouldn’t say I felt offended that he mistook my gender and he made me feel completely at ease anyway. However he continued to refer to me as Ms Cole and I suppose I was slightly flattered. So I decided not to say anything to correct him and I’d met plenty of young people like him in the Gay Village on nights out who referred to their male friends with feminine pronouns.

‘I understand that Melanie has been promoted and she was really excited to tell us. Do you work for her now? She is an old friend of my sisters from school and she keeps us updated. I am so pleased for her. She says she owes it all to her boss who gave her the chance and to her new boss who promoted her.’

I didn’t feel like responding as I wanted to get home but he was trying to be nice, I just wanted to get the car and get home to think about why Emily wanted to talk outside the office and what I wanted to say.

‘We have looked after this car since she first purchased it from the garage. It is Julie Ann isn’t it despite what the paperwork says.’ So he knew all along and nothing needed to be corrected. ‘Do you mind me calling you Julie Ann? I have lots of friends who are dual sex or have changed sex and this is a nice car for a young businesswoman like you. It’s compact and it is a very reliable model. I’m sure you’ll like it.’

‘Thanks, I’m looking forward to having a car again. I’ve been lost without one these past few days and I’d forgotten what it was like to take public transport. It’s not so pleasant.’

‘No, it’s not I agree. Not that I’ve used it much of course. I drive a VW Beetle myself or take a taxi. Melanie insisted we gave it a full service and a deep clean and a polish, so it looks like new. The perfect run around for a secretary or admin assistant and it only has 15,000 miles on the clock.’

‘Do you mind if we just check the paperwork for the change of ownership before you send it off?’

‘Of course, Julie please feel free. Do you want to take it for a short spin so I can show you how everything works?’

I couldn’t believe my eyes. ‘This is wrong. You’ve filled the document in as Julie Ann Cole. That’s not legal. My name is Julian Alan Cole. I’m male not female.’

‘What? Oh, I’m so sorry. It must have been after the discussion with Melanie. We obviously misunderstood what she said. We should have checked the document with her after we filled it in. I thought we were doing her a favour since she has been super busy recently.’

I felt myself blushing and I tried to emphasise my maleness by standing legs apart but dressed as I was and with my hair loose and blowing in the breeze, I’d obviously given the wrong impression. I decided not to engage in more conversation since I just wanted the keys and to drive home as soon as possible.

The car was compact as Alex had said, but it handled very well, and I felt feminine whilst driving it home. I took a detour to test its suitability and it passed. I wasn’t sure whether I dare go back to that garage again after the misunderstanding. He didn’t even ask me for any proof of identification he was so embarrassed, and the short spin offer was not taken up. Part of me was insulted but at the same time I was enthused and slightly aroused at being mistaken for a woman on more than one occasion dressed as I was. Why hadn’t I adopted the name of Julie Ann instead of Julie when I was chatting with friends online?

I parked up and admired my new car as I locked it and took note of my new registration to notify the landlord of my apartment building. It easily fitted the space compared to my company vehicle that I’d lost so I wouldn’t have the same problems I’d had before.

Once in my apartment I checked online for messages since I’d neglected my friends since my demotion, too embarrassed and concerned that I might say something I’d regret later. I checked my phone messages and my regular e-mail account and there wasn’t anything urgent and just the dinner booking confirmation and a reminder from Emily that she’d be picking me up on time.

I decided to call Sally to tell her all about the meeting with Rao and how Emily had completely outmanoeuvred him. I was so proud of her, and Sally noticed how staff morale had improved since her arrival and taking over from George. She took care to explain that her comment wasn’t a criticism of me because she knew I was following instructions. I told her I was nervously waiting for confirmation that Rao had paid up and that Jack Henshaw had reset the controls so the plant couldn’t be operated until they had. She had heard a rumour from the workshops that Jack had been in trouble and called to Emily’s office to be sacked. I doubted that would happen until Emily was satisfied, she had a replacement on hand and she was unlikely to get much co-operation from the other 2 senior staff in the production area.

I was sure that Emily would let me know when the money was transferred and sure enough, I got a message with lots of thumbs up emojis to my phone and a well done. I hadn’t done anything, but I was getting a pat on the back. I replied with some smiley faces.

After taking a shower I looked in my wardrobe to decide on something suitable to wear for dinner. I wanted to look nice since it seemed like a celebration of sorts. There wasn’t much choice so it was either go back to jacket and slacks or my Julie wardrobe that wasn’t really an option in the circumstances. I decided to go for an androgenous look wearing my spare work trousers that were out of the womens section. I’d wear the jacket I’d been wearing for our meeting with Rao that I hoped was lucky. I so liked the fit that I had decided to buy more of the same. My male suits wouldn’t be needed whilst ever Emily was in charge. I wished I’d purchased a spare shirt because I wanted to look my best. It was too late to go out and buy another and no way was I going out in a company t-shirt. After a more detailed search I found a silk shirt I’d worn on a couple of occasions to parties that attracted a lot of positive comments. It seemed to go with the trousers and jacket. It was a colour between mauve and purple that seemed to match my complexion. I put on a bra because I was feeling a little mischievous and I felt that Emily wouldn’t make fun or reprimand me. I left out the inserts that I usually wore with a bra that was with great reluctance.

I decided to style my hair rather than put it back in a ponytail since Emily seemed to have liked it that way. Checking my face it was still smooth with just a need to trim my eyebrows a little bit that hadn’t been touched up in a while. I had always been tempted to shape them but it was too risky since this was a business dinner with Emily not a date and hard to hide to hide thin and shaped eyebrows. If only I’d had the courage to accept dates I’d been offered when I’d been out as Julie with friends. I tried a little make-up just to check what I could look like on a date but quickly removed it since I was short of time and just in case Emily arrived early.

She messaged indicating that she was on the dot, so I had a quick spay of cologne, picked up my phone and bag and headed downstairs before she picked up a parking ticket. As I opened the door and sat in the passenger seat Emily turned and smiled.

‘Mmm somebody smells nice. You look very stylish too. I’m regretting not calling home to get changed. Are you ready to celebrate? We’ve earned a nice dinner tonight after sorting old Rao out. Did you ever imagine it would be so easy?’

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It sure looks like…….

D. Eden's picture

Emily has a thing for her PA! And I think perhaps Jules has a bit of a crush on Emily.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Julie Ann has arrived

Dee Sylvan's picture

It was a good idea to get her name correct on the car title, but not to make a big deal out of it. Julie is starting to really embrace her new role and see the golden opportunity that has been presented to her. She definitely needs to do more shopping, especially since Emily suggested wearing her more professional feminine look to the office now. A little make-up and a bra would definitely be a good idea. She is now also seeing how Jack Henshaw and the other senior production guys pulled the wool over her former boss' eyes and why they are all very nervous (with good reason). Great chapter Jules, your story keeps getting more and more interesting.

DeeDee

Oops!

Robertlouis's picture

Emily may be an iconoclast who disregards all the usual standards, but a sexual relationship between the CEO and PA would surely be unwise, even if it’s part of a bigger plan. That said, I don’t think it is. I’m liking Emily more and more. She’s extremely shrewd, a smart reader of people and especially of situations and is capable of taking decisions quickly and, well, decisively.

Julian/Julie needs to get off all the fences before his arse becomes permanently wedged and start making decisions instead of allowing others to make them for him.

It’s getting more interesting with every chapter.

☠️

Taken changes in stride and no problems

Jamie Lee's picture

Near the beginning of this story, Julian said he had to have the job with the company, he had bills to pay.

Someone who had to keep a job will do what's needed for them to keep their job, whether they like it or not. And even though Julian hates what he's being forced to wear, he does it anyway.

But there is a needed question about Julie at home and out with friends, but not at work. The woman at work she him as Julie, and keep hinting that they should she her at work instead of Julian. Why does he have a problem being Julie at work? Is he afraid the customers won't accept him as Julie? He isn't in a management position any more and won't be the one making sales either. The problem he had using the woman's loo instead of the men's, should give him a better hint how he appears to others. So maybe Julie should start working at the company.

Others have feelings too.

My real name was Gwinn

So, as you might suspect, most people thought it was actually Gwen and that I was female. :)

How did I not notice before?!

It's taken until now for me to twig the significance of your protagonist's name..

Meanwhile, with him increasingly being "reverse read", sooner or later I suspect he'll realise trying to correct everyone is futile, so he might as well follow the proverbial path of least resistance and cave into the prospect of Julie officially debuting at work.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!