Angels and Demons

Printer-friendly version
AD.jpg

Angels and Demons

(Not the Dan Brown type)

Physics class was always boring to me. It wasn’t that the material wasn’t interesting, it was just that I learned things extremely quickly and spending weeks on the same topic to make sure all the students grasped the concept was mentally draining.

The sounds of chairs being pushed back and bodies moving towards the window came as a helpful distraction. Chatter increased, especially from the girls. That was never a sign of good tidings.

“He was already handsome. I wonder what he will look like after…”

Pete Sanchez nudged my arm. “You want to see who it is this time?”

“Not particularly.” Reluctantly, I stood and joined the others at the windows hoping that the extra weight of all the students wouldn’t weaken the school’s foundation.

Pete put his hand to his forehead. “Oh, God. It’s Troy. As if he wasn’t conceited enough already.”

My gaze moved to a grassy area near the parking lot. Troy Gaben was on his knees and hands. Teachers had formed a wide circle around him keeping other students back. I could hear his painful screams. I had seen several transformations and they never seemed pleasant.

Troy began to glow with a bright white light. A sure sign his angelic nature was emerging. Not that it was debated. Everyone knew Troy was descended from the Archangel Gabriel. He made certain his pedigree was often discussed, proclaiming his mother was Gabriel’s second daughter.

I held my hands over my eyes to shield them. Gabriel was known for his powerful light magic and Troy’s transformation was a perfect example of the raw power he would now have. With a flash of light so bright that I could see my bones through my arm and closed eyes, the transformation had entered the final phase.

I tentatively pulled my arm away from my face. Troy’s body had gone from handsome to finely chiseled perfection. The girls all gasped as Troy stood proudly to his feet. In a final flourish, as if he needed it, large white feathered wings spread out from his back. I was secretly hoping the feathers would spread across his entire body turning him into a humanoid goose. No such luck.

“That’s just too over the top if you ask me.”

Pete grimaced. “Some people just have it all, John. Then something like this happens to them giving them even more.”

Pete and I both knew that all too well. He and I were both raised in foster care. I was even given the name John Doe by the firemen that lacked creativity when they found me on their whitewashed cement doorstep. I hadn’t traveled far from that spot, making me wonder why my mother couldn’t have driven to a nicer fire station in a better zip code.

“Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy too.” I said with as much sarcasm as I could get away with.

Pete slugged my arm and pulled me away from the girls fanning themselves.

“He’s incredible…”

“I wonder if maybe…”

“We’re so far beneath him, Chelsea. He would never.”

“A girl can only dream, right?”

I sat heavily in my chair and stared blankly forward. Usually within a week of a transformation, the Angelic and Demonic Society would send representatives to confirm Troy’s bloodline and power level before sending him to the Academy for Supernatural Service. It was an all-expenses paid school used to place those with enough angelic or demonic blood into the highest paying jobs in society.

Pete grinned as he sat down. I knew what he was about to say.

“He’s going to the ASS school. He will fit right in.”

“The good news is this with him gone there will be one less competitor for the low-paying jobs we might try to get. We should be thanking Troy for creating an opening at BurgerMax.”

Our teacher pulled himself away from the window. “Back to your seats, class.” He had a wistful look about him, sort of like the ex-football player who missed the final catch and lost the high school championship. He was well beyond the age of transformation. No one ever changed after the age of twenty but that never stopped people from dreaming.

***

After lunch, I had math, then history. By the time I got to history word had spread like wildfire about Troy. That wasn’t uncommon. Transformations were rare but frequent enough these days that most people had seen them. However, high-level ones like Troy’s always created a stir and sometimes media hype.

This was, luckily, the only class I shared with Troy. He strutted in with a gaggle of girls all around him. His wings had retracted completely, leaving only his enhanced features and a slight angelic bronze sheen to his skin. Something I hadn’t noticed from the distance was his hair had become blonder and his eyes a deeper blue.

“Settle down class. Take your seats. Troy. Congratulations. You must be excited and your parents proud.”

Troy beamed his perfect white teeth making the girls around him swoon. “We knew it was coming, of course. I’ve already been contacted by the Angelic and Demonic Society to meet with them next week.” He leaned back casually and confidently before his eyes fell on me. His grin widened and my heart sank.

It was well known that the transformation bestows added strength, speed, and other abilities depending on who you were descended from. Most of the magical abilities needed to be trained, but the speed and strength were instantaneous. Archangels and Archdemons were extremely powerful. The Nephilim had a tenth their strength and for every generation after that, there was additional loss of power and strength. Being descended from an Archangel, even seven generations removed gave someone significant advantages over regular humans. If Troy’s boasts weren’t lies, he would be just over seven times stronger than the average human.

Mr. Rathensburg cleared his throat. “In light of Troy’s transformation, it might be a good chance to touch base on some related history.”

I grimaced and kept my head down. Everyone knew this information. It had been taught for years.

“Who can tell me what event started humans interbreeding with Angels and Demons?”

A girl in the front row put up her hand.

“Evelyn.”

Evelyn turned to lock her eyes on Troy. “Who wouldn’t want to mate with an angel?

“I asked about the event, Evelyn.”

Evelyn sighed a dreamy sigh and batted her eyes at Troy. “It happened around four hundred years ago. The war between Angels and Demons came to Earth. The devastation was enormous. Finally, the Archangel Michael and the Archdemon Lucifer decided their races would both go extinct without a peace accord. After the peace was agreed to, humans became fair game to mate with which, I think, is perfectly acceptable.”

The teacher continued. “Precisely, Evelyn. Eyes forward now. Without war, the Angels and Demons slowly integrated into human society. Can someone tell me the hierarchy of Angelic and Demonic society?”

Another student put up their hand and droned on. “The Archangel Michael and Archdemon Lucifer are the leaders of their respective races. They are more powerful than the other archangels and archdemons. There are seven archangels and six archdemons, and hundreds of regular angels and demons.”

“Very good, Barton. I bet you all can’t answer this one. What is the Supernatural Accord? Anyone?”

I raised my head. I hadn’t heard about this accord. It seemed like no one else did either.

The teacher appeared almost giddy that he stumped us all. “The Supernatural Accord was agreed upon shortly after the peace accord, but it has evolved over time. It states that to preserve the Angelic and Demonic races, no interbreeding was allowed. Recently, perhaps only a generation ago, humans that went to Michael and Lucifer to demand protection for the human race. Nephilim, direct descendants of Archangels and Archdemons were told to cease mating with humans upon pain of death. The goal was to stop diluting the human race to limit the number of people that had superior powers and abilities as this would create a subjugated class, those without any supernatural blood in them. Troy, is likely one of the last third-generation children from an Archangel to be born.”

Troy was all smiles. He liked being more powerful than others and knowing there would be few, if any humans with supernatural blood to challenge him, made him even gleeful.

***

Pete was as anxious to leave school as I was. It was bad enough when Troy was somewhat normal, but now, he could take his bullying to an all new level.

“On a good note, next week Troy will be gone, and all the girls will need someone new to fawn over.”

“I hate to burst your bubble, Pete, but you and I both know they will never be fawning over us.”

Pete was a tad on the short side. Not that I was considered tall, but he was shorter than me by a few inches. He was a little pudgy. On the other hand, I was as average as humanly possible. I wasn’t a jock by any means, even though I was probably strong for my size. I was quick, but that was more from being the bottom of the social ladder. I had to be fast to avoid people like Troy who thought they were better than others and needed a way to demonstrate that every day.

The only thing I had going for me was my ability to absorb and learn quickly. I could even pick up physical skills easily, but my permanent lack of money made certain I never had good training and my lack of strength and stamina made any skills I did learn fairly useless.

We hadn’t walked far when Troy appeared at the end of the alley we were moving through. I swore I had just seen him with a dozen girls hanging off his biceps back at school. I swallowed. He had to be incredibly fast now.

Pete and I turned around trying to make it look like it was a normal thing for us to do. The first law of bullies is to never draw attention to yourself. It was well known that quick movements and intelligent babble were like sweet nectar to them. By the time we took five steps, Troy was facing us again. He strode forward with all the confidence in the world.

“John Doe, my favorite. And I certainly can’t forget Pete Sanchez.” He put his hands on his hips like he was a superhero. He didn’t need a cape as he could simply unfold his wings. I knew weren’t getting away unscathed as Troy was not the mercy-giving kind of person. If he was standing here before us, there was only one reason. Pete started to run breaking the first law of bullies. Troy grabbed his shirt and jacket and lifted him off the ground with one arm as if he weighed nothing more than a feather pillow.

My anger flared. I considered this one of my biggest weaknesses. When I saw something that was unjust, my brain short circuited and words spilled forth uncontrolled. “Congratulations, Troy. I guess your transformation now makes you the stupidest of all the supernaturals. Can’t fix stupid with some angel blood. Put Pete down. What has he ever done to you?”

“He’s a mongrel, just like you, John. His existence is offending to the world.”

“If people like us didn’t exist, you would have no one to think lesser of. That’s got to be worth something in the grand scheme of things.”

He tossed Pete into a dumpster that was ten feet away. Luckily, the amount of trash was heaped so high it was falling from the bin and all that garbage cushioned the landing for him.

“The problem with you, John…”

I held up my hands. “I know, I know. People with half a brain make you feel emasculated. Nothing I can do there.”

“I know it was you that booby trapped my locker last month. It took me a week to get the green dye out of my hair.”

“Something happened to your locker? And you think it was me?” I chuckled, letting my peripheral vision scan for any and all escape routes. “How could you possibly determine it was me when the entire male half of the student population has been dismissed, demoralized, and threatened by you?”

“I know it was you. It was sophisticated.” He took a step forward

I started laughing. That was never good in situations like this which happened all too frequently for me. “Such a big word. Maybe the transformation did more than boost your muscle mass. I thought angels were supposed to be altruistic and kind? Did you not go to church when you were young?”

His golden shimmer darkened as if a storm cloud passed overhead. That was my queue. I bolted through a gate to my right and ran for all I was worth. I glanced over my shoulder for the briefest of moments only to slam into a brick wall. Well, not exactly a brick wall. It was solid muscle, about six foot four, with blonde hair, blue eyes, and a nasty temper. I looked up and up until I felt a crook in my neck and saw the malicious grin.

“Let’s get this over with since I won’t be here at the school much longer.”

I tried to back pedal, but he stomped on my foot. I cried out with pain as my toes shattered. His arm was a blur as he smashed his palm into my chest. I heard my ribs crack as I flew backwards through the air smashing through one fence and stopping like a butterfly against a car windshield at sixty mile per hour. I had been sent all the way back into a second fence on the far side of the alley. I folded in on myself and dropped like a rock to the ground.

Troy’s blurry shoes came into view.

“That was mildly satisfying. Maybe one day you will be serving me, but I doubt I will ever eat at any of the places you will be working at. See you around, mutt.”

***

I came to in the local hospital as my ribs were snapping back into place. An angel, probably a descendant of Sraosha moved her hands over me. Her blonde hair was stunning and her blue eyes so vivid that it almost hurt to stare into them.

“Oh. You’re waking up. That’s a good sign. I just about have you back together, John. Try to relax. Were you hit by a truck?”

I winced with another snap of a rib as it reset by her magic. “You could say that. A newly transformed third generation Gabriel descendant decided to test his newfound abilities.”

She frowned. “Has he started at the Academy yet? If he has, harming innocent humans would be cause for expulsion. Try to sit up for me.”

“No such luck. He will likely start next week.”

“Do you want to press charges?”

Pete poked his head around the curtain. He still had bits of someone’s leftover pizza in his hair. “You should press charges, John. You could easily have died.”

I stared into the pretty eyes of the young woman healing me. When would I ever have a chance like this again? I was wounded and being treated by an angel. “I thought I was dead, and this was heaven.”

She rolled her eyes. I got the hint.

“Sorry. You probably get that all the time from your nearly dead patients.”

“I do, actually, but it never comes across as sweet as when you say it. You have a good heart, John. Pete told me you tried to protect him. Let’s see if you can stand.”

Pain shot through my body and I limped a little when I put my weight on my foot. She frowned again.

“You’re going to be sore for a while. I put a lot of magic into you and was only able to begin the healing process of the bones. You’ll need rest to fully recover as you have internal bruising yet.”

I nodded and Pete slipped his shoulder under my arm. He winked at the nurse.

“Take care of him, Pete.”

“I will, Emma.”

“And John?”

I looked up into Emma’s eyes again.

“You should consider reporting this. Pete’s right. It’s a miracle you weren’t killed.”

I shrugged, painfully. “Who would punish a descendant of Gabriel?”

I hobbled out of the hospital with Pete’s help. When we got outside, Pete sat me down on a bus stop bench.

“My foster dad is coming to pick us up. I appreciate what you did for me. Maybe not the wisest thing you ever did though.”

I looked over my shoulder towards the hospital. “You got her name. Maybe it was worth it after all.”

“I was hitting on her hard while you were unconscious. She’s a first-year student at the Academy and gifted in healing so she volunteers here periodically. She’s not into humans.”

I chuckled until it hurt. “The story of our lives. Human meets angel. Human falls for angel. Angel finds someone better than human. She was pretty.”

Pete smiled. “Gorgeous.”

***

Troy had left us alone for the few days he remained at school before being whisked off to the Academy. I was in too much agony to even contemplate revenge. Slowly, my bruises began healing and it was life as normal again.

A few weeks after our run-in with Troy, we were waiting for the teacher to enter our physics class and Pete was whispering to me about getting hurt so he could go to the hospital to see Emma again. He was completely smitten by her.

Pete stopped talking mid-sentence and I figured it was because the teacher came into the room. I glimpsed over towards Pete knowing if the teacher were coming, it would be best to look ready for the class. Pete’s eyes were as wide as saucers. He started to reach for me with shaking hands and fell out of his chair. I could see the fear and pain in his eyes.

Wisps of blackness began to coalesce about him. That’s when the teacher screamed.

“Everyone back away from Pete! Get as far back as you can!”

Pete stared at me. He was in such pain. His hands twisting and writhing.

“John! Get away from Pete! The magical force of a transformation is incredibly powerful and can easily kill you.”

I couldn’t. I couldn’t leave my best friend to go through that alone. I reached for his hand and grabbed it. “I’m here for you, Pete. Breathe through the pain.”

The darkness descended on us and I was buffeted by the magical waves. It was like being in a wind tunnel. I couldn’t see anything and even sound diminished in the black void. Still, I hung onto Pete.

“You got this, Pete! Hang in there a little longer!”

I felt his hand squeeze mine. Strong. Incredibly strong. The darkness receded and I caught a glance of Pete. People in the past believed demons were hideous creatures. Monstrosities. They were far from it. They were equally as beautiful and handsome as the angels. Pete’s transformation was remarkable. I fell back from him as he stood. Dark, membranous, wings stretched forth. He was taller, leaner, as fit as any Olympic athlete, and the ladies were going to love him.

He looked down at me and smiled. “Thank you, John. You’re a true friend.” His voice was as smooth as satin. “Why are you glowing?”

“What?”

“You have glowing marks on your hands and showing through your clothing.”

“I have no idea.” Even as I looked at my hands, the glowing began to recede. Oddly, I felt stronger and the residual pain from my injuries had vanished.

Pete reached a hand down and pulled me to my feet as his wings retracted. He was now several inches taller than me.

“Emma will love you now. You have got to look at yourself in a mirror.”

Our teacher wasn’t paying much attention to Pete, he was still staring at me as was half the class. Of course, the girls were drooling over Pete. While angels got most of the hype, demons were widely accepted and looked upon favorably.

“Class dismissed. I need to take these two to the office to report the transformation.”

The teacher rounded Pete and me up and herded us towards the administrative wing.

“I guess I’ll be the only one working at BurgerMax now. This couldn’t have happened to a better person, Pete. You’ll do well at the Academy.”

“I feel amazing, John. I wonder which demon I’m descended from.”

“You’ve got wings, even if they are more for protection and gliding. That means you are either third generation from a regular demon or within five generations of an Archdemon. They’re impressive.”

Pete patted me on my shoulder with a sound thump that nearly sent me sprawling headfirst.

“Ooops. Sorry about that. I can’t thank you enough to staying with me. At first, the pain was intense.”

Our teacher stepped in front of us. “Stay here.” I watched as he headed into the office. Through the glass I could hear mumbled sentences.

“He’s talking about you, John.”

“Me?”

“He’s telling the principal you should have died, and you had glowing runes on you.”

“You can hear them?”

“Yes. Clearly. They’re coming out.”

The principal looked at me and then turned to Pete. “Come inside, Pete. Let’s get you registered. This must be exciting for you.”

The teacher kept a healthy distance from me. “It’s almost lunch. Why don’t you head to the cafeteria?”

***

I didn’t see Pete the rest of the day. Since it was Friday, we decided to get together on Sunday.

We were to meet at a nearby park and I had only just arrived when Pete plopped himself down on a picnic table next to me.

“You look different.”

Pete raised an eyebrow.

“New clothes?”

Pete burst out laughing. “Yes! That’s it. My old ones didn’t fit. I only have this one new set. Apparently, the Academy provides all the clothing I will need.”

“How has it been? Did your foster parents take it well?”

“They were ecstatic. Unlike your foster parents that didn’t even acknowledge you when you went to the hospital, mine really care for me.”

“How do you feel?”

“Strong. Fast. Want to race?”

I grinned. “No demonic sifting stuff. If we race, we have to keep our feet on the ground at all times.”

“I can’t sift yet. I suspect I will be able to with training.”

“No throwing me off the trail?”

“Would I do that, John?”

“I always knew you were sneaky, now I know why. Demons are masters of shadows.”

Pete shrugged and pointed out a group of trail runners. “They’re about to run the hillcrest trail. Two miles to the top. Let’s start when they go and see how we compare.”

I nodded. “I’ll go easy on you. You’re like this big lumbering mass of muscle now.”

“They’re starting, John. Let’s go.”

Pete launched himself forward at incredible speed. I took off as well, knowing I would never be able to keep up, but I was surprising myself. Pete sprinted through the wide-eyed elite runners like they were standing still. Soon, I had left them in the dust behind me as well. This wasn’t possible. I knew after Pete’s transformation that I felt healed and stronger, but I thought that was simply temporary because I was caught in his magical force.

I could see Pete already on top of the trail jumping up and down. It took another few minutes for me to reach the top.

“Care to explain that, John?” Pete was pointing to the trail runners halfway down the trail still.

“Oatmeal?”

“Oatmeal?”

“It’s what I ate for breakfast.”

“Those guys run marathons and some of them are triathletes. You. John Doe. Just ran past them like they weren’t even moving. Something happened to you, John. I think you’re an angel or a demon.”

“Not possible, Pete. I’m a year older than you. If I had an ounce of angel or demon blood in me, I would have transformed by now.”

“You’re the smart guy, John. You tell me what just happened.”

“I was timing us in my head. You ran the distance at a speed equivalent to a fourth generation Archdemon. That’s 4.2 times the strength and speed of a normal human. We know that stats.”

“And what was your speed?”

“I’m running about eighty percent faster than a normal human.”

“Without a transformation.”

“I think it must be residual magic from your transformation. It will likely wear off.”

“1.8 John. That’s like a sixth-generation speed from an Archangel or Archdemon.”

I spun around. “No transformation. Nada. Nothing.”

Pete just looked at me before pointing to the bottom of the hill. “Do you want to race down?” His wings came out.

I wagged my finger at him. “Not fair. You’re not allowed to fly.”

“Demons don’t fly, but they can glide so it’s not cheating.”

The truth was, I wanted to run more anyways. “Fine. Winner buys ice cream.”

Pete shrugged. “Okay. Ready… Go!” Pete leapt off the top of the hill, but I was right behind him.

I jumped twenty feet down to the trail beneath us and kept leaping across the switchbacks. Still, Pete already landed by the time I skidded to a stop.

“Not bad, John. You’re a supernatural. I just know it.”

I just shook my head. “Two scoops. I want two scoops of rocky road.”

***

It was lunchtime Tuesday when Pete was called to the office. He stood and stretched before holding out his hand.

“You have a friend in me for life, John. This will be the initial assessment committee. When they contacted me, I was told once they confirm my status, they will take me straight to the Academy.”

I stood and took his hand when the speaker blasted again.

“John Doe to the office.”

The truth was trouble usually found me, but I frowned, nonetheless. “I can’t think of anything I’ve done wrong in the last day or two. Let’s go.”

We were greeted by a group of six supernaturals and the principal. Pete’s eyes lit up. Emma was one of the group.

“Emma?”

Emma’s eyes roved over Pete with a quizzical look. “Pete? Is that you?”

Pete nodded and Emma smiled. “You turned out all right. Maybe even a smidge handsome.”

Pete’s smile was contagious as Emma took his arm. She looked over her shoulder at me. “John Doe. I remember you. You’re on our list to evaluate as well.”

“Me?”

“Go with them, John.” The principal gave me a nudge.

“But… I’m not…”

“Just go on.”

I nodded and followed Pete and the rest of the group. We came to a room with a massive set of weights and a few tables and chairs. The group of six set up. I sat back and waited as they took Pete through the steps. First, they took a sample of blood, added some drops to it, and the color changed to a vivid purple.

Emma smiled. “I thought you might favor the looks of Ag’Thamar. You’re his descendant. Congratulations. Step over to the weights. We will keep adding weight until you can no longer lift it.”

I watched as Pete pressed weights until he was straining so hard, he couldn’t lift anymore.

“Six hundred and seventy-three pounds. A little more than 4.3 times normal human basing that on one hundred and fifty pounds for an average male to be able to lift. Clearly, you are textbook, Pete. You’re fourth generation. With some analysis, we should be able to identify your parents if you would like that. Welcome to the Academy.”

Emma turned to me. “John Doe. The report we received was that you refused to leave Pete’s side during his transformation. We’ve not heard of any human ever surviving the magical forces a transformation creates. Witnesses said you were glowing. We would like to test you.”

“Sure.”

“Have a seat. Have you noticed anything about yourself? Any changes?”

Pete moved next to Emma. “He’s stronger and faster than before.”

“Really? Without a transformation?”

Emma took a vial of my blood and handed it to another person. They put the drops in, and the vial simply shattered.

“That’s disconcerting. Do you mind if we try again?”

“Go for it.”

Three vials later and having them all explode when the drops were put in, they gave up.

“Take your shirt off for me.”

I slid my shirt off completely embarrassed by my lack of anything manly. “What are you looking for? If you’re trying to find muscles, I think I might have spotted one near my right shoulder.”

“You’re a funny one, John. I’m looking for runes.”

Emma waved the others over. “Let’s see what happens when we give him some magic.” Emma held her hands up and concentrated. “Hmm. Nothing. The rest of you. At the same time. Don’t hold back.”

My body began to warm. Pete took a step back.

“Whoa!”

Emma shouted. “Hold the magic!” She pulled out her phone and clicked a few pictures. “Enough!”

“Pete, can you do us a favor while we look at this? Can you test John’s strength for us?”

I slipped my shirt back on as Pete leaned towards me. “You were glowing again.”

I sighed and laid down on the bench press. We stopped at two hundred and ninety pounds.

“Emma? John is pressing almost three hundred pounds.”

She held up her phone towards me. “Have you seen these on you before?”

“No!”

“We need to study them more, but I believe they are seals. There are four seals down your spine. The top one has been broken. Who are your parents?”

“I have no idea.”

She held out her hand. “Welcome to the Academy. I have no idea what is going on with you, but we can’t do anymore here. Clearly, there is something unique about you.”

“And I just thought I was a common human mutt.”

Pete chuckled. “Maybe not so common after all. Glad we are going together.”

“You wait, Pete. My tenure will be short-lived.”

***

Pete and I waited while the team filed the correct paperwork with the principal. My foster parents would be notified, not that they would care unless they got a bigger paycheck for me.

We were led to a limousine, then drove across town to the airport. A two-hour plane ride and another limousine brought us to the gates of the Academy. We passed through massive stone gates with a statue of an angel and a demon on each post.

“Pete, we have a room ready for you. Your classes and schedule will be waiting as well. John, we need you to come with us.”

Pete and I were staring in awe at the school and the grand open foyer. It must have been ten stories tall with marble and granite stone and polished wood walls. Stained glass murals of the Archangels and Archdemons let light filter in from outside. A beautiful young woman introduced herself to Pete.

“You must be Pete Sanchez. I’m Serafina. Let me give you a tour and show you to your room.”

Pete glanced my way, gave me a look that said ‘yeah, she’s hot’, and followed Serafina.

“John, this next meeting might be a little intimidating. You’ve done nothing wrong, so I don’t want you to worry.”

“Why would it be intimidating?”

“During our trip here, Michael and Lucifer were sent the pictures. Neither of them is happy and they are here to discuss the situation.”

“Why would they be interested in me?”

Emma bit her lower lip. “Because they confirmed the runes are part of the ancient demonic and angelic languages and the seals are holding back your transformation.”

The group all left except for Emma. She led me through various halls to our meeting.

“I thought you were a first-year student here.”

“I am. Those angels gifted in healing tend to get around a lot and have a lot of assignments to assist in our learning. Today was my lucky day to be leader of our assessment team. Assessments are usually straight forward so first years are perfectly fine for that job.”

“You like Pete, don’t you?”

Emma blushed. “You’re meeting with the Arch Council, Michael, and Lucifer and you’re asking me if I like Pete?”

“He hasn’t stopped talking about you since the hospital.”

“That’s so adorable. I’m not a human snob. When at the hospital, I said something about not being interested in humans. The truth is, for four years, the likelihood I could date a human would be very difficult. I found Pete’s concern over you admirable and I connected with him as we talked. Now that he’s here… Let’s just see how things progress. Here we are. Remember you are not on trial.”

I nodded as she pushed open the large double doors. The room became silent as thirteen very imposing looking individuals turned their attention on me. At the head of the table, who I could only imagine being Michael stood to his feet.

“Emma, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. This is a very grave situation. From what we can learn from the runes we saw, John Doe is indeed sealed. The runes are both angelic and demonic, interwoven together with perhaps a third rune set.”

Lucifer, who sat next to Michael, walked forward, and stared closely at me. “You have no idea who you parents are?”

“None, sir.” Even looking at Lucifer sent a chill down my spine. The power radiating from him was overwhelming. “Apparently, I was left at a fire station.”

He gripped my wrist with such strength I thought my arm would shatter. Flames flicked up between his fingers and my body lit up like a light bulb. My shirt burnt off me. Gratefully my pants were unaffected.

Michael stepped forward and closely examined the markings. “Remarkable. That’s enough, Lucifer. Sorry about your shirt, John. Each seal appears to be keyed. The first one must have triggered within the confluences of magic you were exposed to during Pete Sanchez’s transformation. We will need to test you.”

“I gradually put enough magic in him to leave him nothing but ashes. You felt nothing?”

“No, sir. Just a slight warming against my skin.”

“Excuse me?”

Michael turned to face Emma. “You have something you would like to add, Emma?”

“Yes, sir. One of our new students attacked John a few weeks ago. I was the volunteering my time at the hospital that day and treated John. John suffered great physical damage, but my healing barely worked on him. I highly recommend tests be magical and not physical as I’m concerned that if he suffers too much physical damage, we might not be able to help him recover.”

“Agreed. For now, John will attend classes like any other student. In the evenings, one of us will be assigned to test him. We must get to the bottom of this. We need to learn why was he sealed?”

Lucifer paced. “Someone has broken the accords and used the seals to hide the evidence. It is the only thing that makes sense.”

Michael put an arm around my shoulders. His power wasn’t quite so dramatic, but I could feel it resonating within me. I was a gnat compared to him. “What’s your situation at home?”

“I doubt my foster parents would even miss me.”

“We will send someone to them, nonetheless. Do you need anything?”

“Just a shirt to hide all this manliness. I would hate for the girls to pass out when I walk by.”

Michael laughed. “Emma. See to it John is fully registered. We will pass the word that John is to be treated with respect. Knowing that he hasn’t transformed, he will be weak compared to others and we can’t risk him being killed.”

“There is another option.”

Michael turned to face one of the Archdemons. “Feel free to share your words of wisdom, Baal.”

Baal stood. “If magic does not harm him, perhaps he is a Trojan horse sent to kill us.” There was an edge to his voice.

Lucifer shrugged off the suggestion. “A Trojan horse any one of us could kill with a single finger.”

That hurt my confidence.

Michael added his support. “The decision is made. Emma, make sure John is ready for classes tomorrow.”

“Yes, sir.”

Emma guided me from the chamber and after finding a t-shirt that was too large on me, she then proceeded to route us to a half dozen offices so that I could be officially registered and assigned a room.

“I’m sorry for all of this, John. Normally, all of this happens behind the scenes as it did for Pete. I’ll take you to your room so you can know where it is, then you’ll be able to go to dinner.”

I was amazed by the scale of the buildings and the fine touches everywhere. My old school would be like a broken-down wooden shack compared to this, a five-star hotel. I was both mesmerized and disheartened at the same time. If humans really knew about the ostentatiousness of the place, they might rebel at the class distinction.

“Here’s your room.” She knocked and Pete answered the door.

“Emma! And John.”

“I’m just an ‘and John’ now? I see where I stand. Looks like we’re bunking together.”

“You were admitted? That’s awesome!”

Emma turned to me. “I’m sure Pete can give you a more complete tour. Dinner will be starting in thirty minutes. Your schedule should appear by the time you get back from dinner. If you don’t mind, I’m going to brush the pixie dust off me from being so close to Michael and Lucifer. Maybe I’ll see you both at dinner.”

“Pixie dust?”

“It’s what we non-Arch types call it. It’s nothing more than nerves from being near someone with so much power.”

I nodded having been in their presence as Emma said goodbye and disappeared around a corner.

“You might want to wipe the drool off your chin, Pete. She thinks you’re cute.”

“You asked her? You didn’t?”

I nodded. “Just looking out for your best interests.”

Pete showed me our room and I was pleasantly surprised. I expected cinder block walls, stained carpets, and two beds crammed around a desk fit for a second grader with a shared bathroom down the hall. The room, however, far exceeded my expectations. We each had our own bed, desk, closet, and shelving. There was a private bathroom Pete and I would share, for which I was grateful I didn’t have to use larger group baths. I wouldn’t want any of the angels or demons here to feel diminished by all my abs that were stealthily hidden beneath the five hairs on my chest. There was a window that looked out onto the expansive outdoor training grounds that reminded me more of a well-maintained park than a schoolyard.

“After dinner, we can go to the store and get you some clothes.”

“I don’t have money to buy clothes, Pete.” I felt like an imposter and that this was all some kind of huge mistake.

“It’s all free. Take what you need. That t-shirt is a little large on you.”

“I think it is meant for transformed muscular angelic or demonic bodies and not my pathetic skinniness.”

“So, you actually got to meet Michael and Lucifer?”

I nodded trying hard to forget flames bursting from my arm.

“What were they like?”

“I know history portrays Lucifer with horns, red skin, and a tail, but he is not like that at all. He has dark hair and vibrant brown eyes. Michael is supposed to have glowing eyes and golden hair but is quite blonde and he has blue eyes. I’m not into guys, but I wouldn’t doubt they are probably the most handsome men I have ever seen. They oozed confidence and power. Lucifer, being demonic, no offense, has a harsher edge to him. He seems more action and less words. Michael feels fatherly and protective.”

“No offense taken. I think girls like us bad boys. I can’t believe you met them. Let’s head down to dinner. I’m told the food is exceptional.”

Pete led me through polished wood floor hallways lined with stained glass windows and statues of famous angels and demons. The overall impression was Harry Potter meets Cinderella. The Academy wasn’t dark and gloomy, but it had a slight church-like palatial feel to it.

“Did you learn anything more about your circumstances, John?”

“The Council confirmed I’m being prevented from completing my full transformation because of some rune-like seals. Lucifer thinks I was sealed to cover up someone’s crime that must have broken the accords. For now, I’m supposed to attend classes during the day and visit with Archangels and Archdemons in the evenings to see if more can be unraveled.”

“I’m just glad you’re here.”

I could smell the dining hall well before we arrived. My mouth was watering as we stepped inside. This wasn’t a normal cafeteria by any means. There were some long tables put together for groups and isolated tables for studying and private discussions. There was a section that reminded me of an old-time hamburger joint, another that looked like a fine dining establishment. There was even a Japanese room.

“Serafina told me the sections are magically sealed to keep sound contained so that the burger joint can play rock music, while the Japanese area can play its music. The spaces change throughout the year to offer a variety of different foods and cultures. Where do you want to sit?”

“I’m tempted to try the fancy dining area because I have never been to an upscale restaurant before, but I’m just feeling a little out of sorts. I could do with some comfort food like an old-fashioned hamburger and fries.”

Pete nodded. “I know how you feel. Let’s head over there.”

We didn’t get far when someone shouted. “Hey! Who let you in?”

I knew that voice. Pete and I twisted our heads to confirm our worst fears. Troy was sitting at an indoor but looking more like a Parisian outdoor table in the fine dining area. He had two gorgeous young women with him. He stood and stomped over to us, his rather large biceps flexing with joyous anticipation at the pummeling he so desperately wanted to give.

Pete stepped in front of me and Troy paused looking him up and down. Troy’s eyes narrowed.

“Pete the pipsqueak? You got transformed?”

Pete’s wings unfurled. He looked menacing but a fourth generation Archdemon had a little more than half the strength of a third generation Archangel. Troy didn’t look too worried as he turned his attention to me.

“Are you two married that they let you come along, John?”

Pete shifted again to create some space between Troy and me. “The Arch Council is evaluating John’s unique transformation.”

Troy placed his hand on Pete’s chest and shoved him back before stepping forward to loom over me. “I don’t see any transformation. John was nothing before and is still nothing. It’s a disgrace he is here.”

You would think I would have learned my lesson by now. Massive angel versus one hundred and forty-two-pound weakling didn’t bode well for me. Unfortunately, I hadn’t learned that lesson well enough. “That’s quite the coincidence as I was thinking the same about you.”

Emma walked in and stood next to Pete. Troy performed a double-take and shifted his focus off me. He licked his lips as he looked Emma up and down.

“You should join me for dinner.”

I could tell Emma wasn’t impressed by Troy, which was impressive in itself. I really liked her.

“Let me guess, you must be Troy.” Emma said with a neutral tone.

Troy inhaled making his large chest even larger. He lifted his slightly cleft chin into the air. “You’ve heard of me already. I’m not surprised.”

“I have. You’re the one that used his angelic powers to nearly kill a human because you thought it would make you look good.” Emma leaned forward. “I’ll give you a hint. It makes you look like a giant ass.” She hooked her arm into Pete’s. “I was hoping I could join you both for dinner. Maybe we can find a table somewhere else? The air here smells like someone stepped in fresh cow manure.”

Troy rocked back on his heels, obviously stunned as no girl had ever likely put him in his place like Emma just did. Pete grinned and led the three of us towards the burger joint. As we stepped into the black and white tiled area with red-leather seats, the smells of French fries and burgers blended perfectly with the rock music playing.

This was just like a real restaurant where a waiter came to the table to give us menus and took our orders. I ordered a deluxe bacon cheeseburger with fries and a Coke. When it arrived, I bit into the tastiest burger I had ever eaten.

“Mmm. This is amazing!”

Emma dipped a fry into what appeared to be freshly made ketchup. “I know. All the food is excellent. Sometimes I wished I could simply stay here the rest of my life. I have a free room, clothing, and food. The only thing that propels me to keep learning here is that one day I will be able to leave and help so many people. The more I learn, the more help I can be. I figure I have these gifts for a reason, and I should use them to the best of my ability.”

Pete, who still couldn’t peel his eyes off Emma, leaned back in his seat. “When you have free time here, what is it you like to do?”

Emma blushed. “Are you asking me on a date, Pete?”

Pete stammered.

“Because, if you are, then I would probably say yes. Is that too bold?”

“No! Not too bold! Maybe we could get together tomorrow evening?”

“I would like that. Why don’t we meet here for dinner and decide what to do together after that?”

“What about John?”

Emma was so cute. “Oh my! That’s so sweet to think of John. Let’s all meet for dinner…”

“And I will be happy to explore on my own after that. You both don’t need a chaperone or an extra wheel.”

***

After dinner, Emma headed back to her room to study and Pete and I went to the store. I felt like I was stealing as I left with a few bags of clothes, notebooks, pens, and even a laptop computer. All for free.

When we arrived back at our room, there was an embossed leather folder with my class schedule inside.

“Angelic and Demonic history. Careers. Independent studies. Fighting skills. That’s an odd combination.”

Pete looked over his classes. “I have the same, except that during your independent studies, I have Demonic skills.”

“I guess that’s because they don’t know what I am yet, and I have no magic. What if it turns out that I’m nothing? Do they send me home with a bill for wasting their time?”

“If you were nothing, why would someone take the time to seal your transformation with four seals?”

“Point taken. It really makes me wonder who my parents were.”

Pete busied himself with organizing his space. “Are you worried about being here, John?”

“Quite a bit, actually. The bullies here are going to be far worse than our last school.”

Pete paused and placed his hand on my shoulder. “You always had my back and now, until you can defend yourself, I have yours. I’m here for you like you have been for me.”

“Thanks, Pete.”

***

Pete and I had a delicious breakfast of elk sausage and buttermilk huckleberry pancakes before heading to our angelic and demonic history class. As we walked into class, we passed a large chart that I paused to read. It listed all the Archangels and Archdemons, their direct offspring, and names of those born for five generations. Michael and Lucifer only had one Nephilim child each. Gabriel had five and Raphael had thirty.

A hand pushed in front of me and a finger pointed out a name. Troy Gaben.

“My name’s here if that is what you are looking for. Funny, I don’t see yours listed, twit.”

“Sit down, Troy. John Doe is here because the Arch Council invited him. He is to be treated with the highest respect. Do I make myself clear?”

I peered around Troy’s bulk to spot our teacher. It was none other than the Archangel Azriel. Azriel was known for her incredible beauty and if you combined the best attributes of all the female models in the human world, they would still fall short of Azriel. I had to force my eyes away from her to find a seat.

Troy mumbled something angrily, then gave Azriel a broad smile as if he thought he could woo her, before sitting down. Of course, the only seat left was directly behind me.

Azriel introduced Pete and me before starting into the content of the class. During class, there were only a few brief seconds I could tear my eyes off our teacher. I couldn’t stop looking at her and closing my eyes would only bring up images that had already been emblazoned into my memory. When I did tear my gaze away, I would shift my eyes across the room. I felt very small. About twenty students sat at desks that appeared like desks for kindergartner’s as some of the guys were so huge, they could barely squeeze themselves in. There was a balanced mix of demonic and angelic descendants. They all looked like they could be movie stars. My less than average human looks made it difficult to feel like I belonged.

“John?”

I snapped out of my daze as everyone chuckled. Azriel stood next to my desk and my eyes were level with her perfectly flat stomach and hips. I felt unworthy to be in her presence and had a sudden perception of how she must hate every guy gawking at her. I quickly moved my eyes past her voluptuousness to her face. “Yes… I’m sorry. How should I address you?”

Azriel smiled down at me and I fought the urge to blush. “Everyone. Take notice. We have someone that has actual manners. You can address me as Azriel. I’m not formal and don’t care for titles. I saw you looking at the chart when I came in. This is the topic for today’s class. Tell me what your first impressions were.”

“First impressions?” I hesitated, but Azriel gave me a slight nod that seemed to convey she would be pleased with anything I had perceived. “Raphael appears to have been very prolific.”

Azriel laughed. “That’s quite the observation and you’re absolutely right. Did you notice anything else?”

“Perhaps… I’m not sure if I saw enough to be accurate.”

“Tell me.”

“It seems that the child’s gender aligns with the parent with angelic or demonic blood. If the mother had angelic blood and the father was human, then all her children were female.”

“Remarkable. You’re the first person in all my years of teaching this class to see that.” She turned to face the class again. “Thank you, John. Class, can someone tell me what other commonalities exist between parents and offspring?”

Emma, who had sat next to Pete replied. “All Archangels and Archdemons have specialties, except for Michael and Lucifer who are powerful in all areas of their species’ specific magic. Gabriel has an affinity for light and his descendants will also have this strength. Razael is gifted with plants. Sraosha, healing.”

“Very good, Emma. Who can tell me what general magic angels and demons have?”

When no one spoke, I raised my hand.

“No need to raise your hand, John. Feel free to simply speak up when you want to answer. Go ahead.”

“Both species have enhanced speed and strength. I guess you could call that a magical trait since comparatively humans can have similar proportioned muscles, yet they can’t compete physically. Angels have affinity for light, healing, giving life, and water. Demons can absorb life energy, they can blend into the darkness making themselves almost invisible, and they have an affinity to fire. Angels can fly, but demons are more bound to the land and can blink or sift from one location to another.”

“Excellent, John. I have nothing to add to that list.”

From behind me I heard Troy whisper. “I’ll sift you, moron.” Then he flicked his finger against my shoulder blade. It felt like someone had punched me hard.

***

Pete, Emma, and I arrived early for our second class, Careers. I found a seat at the back of the class in case Troy was in this one as well. Sure enough, he waltzed in with two girls with their arms wrapped around his waist. These two girls were different than the ones at the dinner table the night before.

Pete leaned over and whispered to me. “What do girls see in that waste of flesh?”

Emma giggled and chimed in. “Well, he is handsome. He is a third generation Archangel descended from Gabriel. And… He’s as dumb as a brick which means he could be an excellent listener.” She added facetiously. “I bet those girls are descended from Raphael. They tend to be a little more promiscuous. Is that what you would like, Pete? To have a girl on each arm?”

“No! One only and not one for each appendage. Just one.”

Emma smiled. “What about you, John?”

“I feel like Pete. I’ve always ever wanted only one person to love forever. Not that it will ever happen here. I’m like a half-smashed cockroach with only two working legs compared to purebred Arabian stallions.”

“Don’t sell yourself short. Besides, I have a theory that if we can break your second seal, it will trigger the second phase of transformation.”

“But there are only two phases to transformation.”

“Actually, there are four. That’s why I think you have four seals. One for the initiation phase, the transformation phase, the attunement phase, and the finalization phase.”

I had so many questions, but our teacher, Ag’thamar, came in to start the class. He smiled wide, came down between the rows of seats, and hugged Pete.

“Blood of my blood! We must get together, Pete. I want to hear your entire life’s story.”

Pete sat back down in a daze as Ag’thamar began his discussion.

***

The three of us sat together eating Japanese noodles and I even sampled some sushi for lunch. Having no money growing up, I didn’t have a lot of opportunity to sample different cuisines. Pete, when he wasn’t gazing longingly into Emma’s eyes, looked incredibly happy. He had been overwhelmed by the warm response of his great grandfather. After the class Ag’thamar caught Pete and set a time for them to meet later in the week.

I was still wondering about the brief discussion we had before class. “Can you explain the four transformation phases again, Emma?”

“Certainly. The first phase is the initiation phase. It aligns and initially strengthens your body for the second phase. Our human bodies can’t hold magic and they would be molecularly too weak to stay together during the physical transformation. During this first phase, your molecules strengthen their bonds, while becoming more elastic at the same time. Imagine the physical transformation taking place without strong bonds and elasticity together. If the bond is strong without being able to move, you would be stuck as you are. If the bond is too weak, your cells would explode apart. That’s why it is so dangerous for a human to be near a transformation. The magical force will rip a human’s weaker molecules apart if the person is too close.”

“Had I known that I probably would have let you go through that alone, Pete.”

“Why didn’t John explode then, Emma?”

“That’s just one of the cool things about John. He has seals, and runes. All the runes are entwined with both demonic, angelic, and another rune I haven’t seen before. It might be a third ancient language. Anyways, four sets of these runes are bound to the seals. There are two other sets of runes that we have identified. We believe one is a protection spell against harmful magic. The rune spells aren’t perfect and is likely why I couldn’t heal you fully, John. I suspect the intent was to protect you from magical destruction, but it seems to be interfering in my ability to heal you fully.”

“But why would I need to be protected from magical destruction?”

“No one knows why. I don’t even have a theory.”

“What’s the second rune set?”

“I believe it has something to do with hiding your identity. Your blood and DNA have magic imbued into them to stop anyone from discovering your lineage is. It’s why our vials kept exploding as the magical identification drops were attacked by the magic in your blood.”

“Okay.” This further confirmed I was a quandary. I began to feel like I was one of those wooden three-dimensional puzzles everyone wanted to play with. “Can you continue on through the phases?”

“Sure. We know for certain phase one is completed. You gained strength equivalent to a sixth generation Archangel or Archdemon and the runes bound to the first seal have broken. During the second phase, transformation, your strengthened body realigns itself into your new angelic or demonic form. The second phase has two stages. The transformation and another strengthening of the molecules again.”

“Let’s say you’re correct and my seals are tied to the four phases. If I unlock the second seal, then I will get my new body and another boost of speed and strength?”

“Yes! Have you seen the Arch-generational strength tables?”

“Yes. An average human male is a 1.0 on the scale. I believe the scale assumes that the average human male could bench press one hundred and fifty pounds. A seventh generation Archangel or Archdemon is thirty percent stronger or 1.3 of an average human male. Sixth generation is 1.8 times the strength and speed of a human. Fifth is 2.6, fourth is 4.2, third is 7.4, second is 13.8, and any of the Archangels or Archdemons are 134.6 times the strength and speed of a human.”

Emma’s voice bubbled with excitement. “I have yet to meet anyone that could ramble off the table like you just did, John. Pete is a fourth generation Archdemon. That’s 4.2 times the strength and speed of a human, plus or minus for variability in the ancestral line and body mass. There is a strengthening component to each of the four phases. To wind up at 4.3 times…”

I jumped ahead seeing where this was leading. “Pete received a fourth of his strength increase for each phase?”

Pete looked a little lost. Math was never his forte.

Emma was enjoying the conversation and was quite animated. “No. It’s… very similar to the Arch-generational strength tables...” She paused and sat back. “Holy crap!” She quickly gathered up her stuff and kissed Pete on the cheek. “I’ve got to go. Oh my God! I’ll see you both at dinner!”

Pete and I watched Emma run through the dining hall. Pete was looking so smitten that I could have hit him with a cast iron pan, and he wouldn’t have felt it.

“She kissed me.”

***

I hadn’t fully understood why Emma had rushed off in such a hurry, but it seemed to be related to our discussion. Pete had gone to his demonic skills class and I had independent study. I found the library and simply stood and tried hard not to get a spasm in my neck as I tried to take in the enormous library which was four stories high and had row after row of ten-foot tall bookshelves that were crammed to overflowing with books.

I moved as quietly as possible across the wooden inlaid floors towards the librarian, but my steps echoed loudly. The librarian looked up at me.

“You must be John Doe.”

I would think it would be obvious. Not handsome. Not large. No glossy, healthy shimmer to my skin. No blazing power coming from my diluted eyes. “Word must get around quickly here.”

“It’s not every day we find a mystery to solve. When you are as old as some of us, it’s the little things in life that make all we do worthwhile.”

I nodded not quite sure if her response was somehow demeaning. It didn’t come across that way in the tone of her voice, but all I heard was ‘little things’ and that conjured up all sorts of images of people swatting flies. “At least I’m a mystery and not trouble.”

She lightly touched my arm. “That’s yet to be determined, young man.” At least she chortled as she said it. “What can I help you with?”

“I’m not sure where to begin.”

A speaker system blared to life. “John Doe please come to the Arch Council chambers.”

“I guess that means my decision on what to look for is delayed.”

“Come back any time, John.”

I made my way through the massive complex and found the council chambers. I went to reach for the doors when they opened for me. Emma was standing in the center of the chambers. There was much animated discussion going on.

Michael stood and waved me in. “Come in, John. Emma was explaining her theory to us that your seals are tied to the transformational phases. This has, of course, incredible implications for us.”

“How so?”

Lucifer came down to the floor and walked close to me. “We have long understood the phases of transformation, but we have never been able to watch them unfold over time. We have theorized for thousands of years what the scale and timing of each phase is like. If we can unlock your seals and test you after each phase, we could gain deep understanding into the physiology of the entire transformation process.”

“I guess it is simple then. We just need to determine what it takes to unlock each seal.”

“That’s the problem, John. We don’t know what will unlock them. The first seal being broken appeared to be triggered by the burst of Pete’s transformational magical power. I injected a similar amount of power into you myself and the second seal never unlocked. We must get into the mind of who did this to you to determine how to unravel this.”

Michael looked down at me. “You are a puzzle, but you are more than that. You are a supernatural being that has been denied their future, denied their power, and denied a place in both the human and supernatural worlds. You bring an incredible opportunity to us. Value beyond comprehension in offering us a glimpse into how we are fashioned. And yet your personal value has been stripped. The Council has agreed. We will stop at nothing to see you fully freed of the magical chains you have been bound with.”

“You make it sound like I’m something special. I can assure you, I’m not. I was abandoned days after I was born by parents that never wanted me. However, if I can be of value to all of you, then I will aid in you in any way I can.”

“We appreciate you and your willingness, John. Please return to your scheduled classes.”

Emma walked out with me.

“That was odd.”

Emma leaned close to me. “Shhh… We both have fighting skills class coming up. You should change your clothes for that. I’ll see you on the training grounds.”

***

When I entered the training grounds, I was surprised to see so many students. The yard was broken into two sections. Baal pulled our group together.

“For those of you that are new, there are two teachers for fighting skills. The teachers do not represent two years of training. We believe that improving your fighting skills is a matter of hard work and effort, not necessarily years of training. Once you have mastered the skills I train, I will decide if you are ready to move to the advanced level. Don’t ask me to move up a level. I will know what you are capable of.

“Fighting skills are needed by all angelic and demonic beings. While we have peace, that doesn’t mean we will always be at peace. We might be threatened by a new foe, or perhaps the humans will revolt against us and with their billions compared to our tens of thousands, we should always be ready.

“The group is sixteen students today. I have set up four stations. One station for staff, one for swords, one for daggers, and one for hand to hand combat. There will be two circles. An inner circle and an outer circle. Every five minutes, I will tell one of the rings to move one position right. In case you haven’t figured it out yet, you will be fighting for eighty minutes. We have healers standing by as usual.”

I leaned over to Pete. “As usual?”

“Line up!” Baal shouted and gave a sharp blast from a whistle.

Baal went down the line announcing positions. I was given the position of outer ring, section one, position one and given a long, wooden staff. At least Troy was in the outer ring as well so I wouldn’t be fighting him today.

“Move to you positions!”

I shifted to where I was supposed to be and found I was opposite a massive demon. This was going to hurt.

“Begin!” The whistle blared out again.

“I’m John.”

The guy merely grunted and swung his staff straight down towards my head. I barely dodged out of the way. He was much faster than I was. I was just straightening up when he swung his staff horizontally. I brought my staff up as it smashed into the wood. My arms shook violently, and I was tossed ten feet across the field. The good news is that bought me some time. The bad news was the guy was on me again by the time I stood to my feet.

I was doomed to many a broken bone when a hand flashed out in front of me and stopped the staff inches from my face.

“That’s enough, Jerrod. Go back to your position.”

Michael dusted his hand off as Baal stormed over.

“This is fighting skills class, not a defending the weak class!”

Michael was completely unruffled by Baal’s intensity. “You would pit a fourth generation Archdemon against John?”

Baal hissed. “This is the only way he will learn.”

“Give me the first ten minutes with him in each cycle.”

“It will make no difference!” Baal huffed.

“Then you will have been proven right, Baal.”

Baal backed off knowing tangling or questioning Michael’s authority would be fruitless. Michael picked up a staff and led me a short distance away.

“I’ve been told you learn things very quickly. Let’s see how fast you pick this up. Watch me closely. Position yourself just like I do. Stand next to me.”

I did and Michael went through about forty maneuvers in five minutes. He quickly and efficiently adjusted my stance and positioning.

“Use your entire body to move and snap with strength. You will need to be quick to reset your position against faster and stronger opponents. Now, fight me.”

I nodded, not really believing I was going to fight the Archangel Michael and survive with my life.

“Watch my eyes, John. Anticipate my moves. I will go slowly to start with.”

Slowly for Michael was still a blur of speed but I set my position and blocked his first attack.

“Good. Now attack.”

I thrust forward, Michael blocked, spun, and slashed down. I stepped to the side as the staff crashed hard into the ground near my foot. Using one of Michael’s moves, I used my staff to roll under his and spin it away, exposing his body.

However, this was Michael and he just grinned and overpowered my move, stopping his staff a mere hairsbreadth away from my neck.

Michael pulled back. “You’ve always learned this quickly?”

“With everything. School tends to be very boring for me.”

“Why didn’t you learn fighting techniques?”

“There was never money for such luxuries and no one knowledgeable or skilled to show me. You could say everything I know is more from learning how to take a hit.”

Baal blew his whistle. “Outer ring shift one position to the right. John, get back in here.”

Knowing Michael had held back, I couldn’t expect those I fought here to do the same. I was grateful my first opponent was female. That was until she grinned, unfolded her glorious, white-feathered wings, and taunted me.

“I’m looking forward to this, human.”

“How can someone so beautiful and angelic be so mean?”

“Flattery will get you nowhere, little man.”

Baal’s whistle blew and I forgot all about my stance and blocking. Her staff smacked me hard in my calf and knocked my feet out from underneath me. I just managed to get my staff up to block the smack that was coming for my head. From my peripheral vision, I could see Michael put his hand to his face.

I gritted my teeth and thrust out causing my opponent to back up. That gave me time to get back on my feet and set my stance. She advanced quickly with a series of thrusts and slashes. I blocked each one and pushed my own attack, even hitting her once in the shoulder.

Her eyes narrowed and her wings fluttered reminding me of the tail of a rattlesnake when it is ready to strike. I trained my gaze on her eyes. Michael had been right. I could picture her next move and anticipate it which was a good thing because she was far too strong and fast for me. I had to be already moving before she did otherwise it would be too late. I threw up my block just as her staff smashed straight down towards my head. My lowered stance helped absorb the blow, then I moved as quickly as I could to slide my staff along hers. My staff smacked soundly against her knuckles causing her to wince and drop her staff.

Baal’s whistle sounded. The woman across from me tipped her head. “My name is Monique. Well fought, John.”

“Inner circle. Move one position to the right.”

***

I quickly realized that even short five-minute bouts felt like an hour. Considering boxers fight for three minutes a round, I understood why. After eighty minutes, I was in agony. I suffered multiple blows, cuts, bruises, but thankfully no broken bones or death, although the way I felt, death might be more enjoyable. Michael stuck around the whole time and whenever I moved into a new section, he took the first ten minutes to train me.

Michael pulled me to the side with a gentle arm around my shoulder. “You’re as slow as molasses in an Antarctic winter, and as feeble as a shrew, but you made me proud today. Get cleaned up and after dinner, come to the Council chambers.

“Thank you for your help. It’s the only reason I’m still barely standing.”

“You did better than I expected, and I have high hopes for you.”

Michael left as Pete and Emma came over to me. They both looked perfectly fine.

Emma touched my arm. “You did very well against people much faster and stronger than you. I’ve never heard of Michael taking such time or interest in anyone before. In case you need them, there are hot soaking tubs in the gym.”

Emma slid her arm into Pete’s. It appeared they were going to be inseparable. I was happy for them both even if seeing how lucky Pete was with someone like Emma widened the hole in my own heart.

Pete patted Emma’s arm. “We’ll see you at dinner, John. Emma’s going to show me the gardens before dinner.”

“Enjoy.”

***

We decided to sit at one of the main group tables. Not the largest one, but one of the smaller ones off to the side. A waiter came by with menus we could select our meals from. I quickly found something with lots of protein and carbs and ordered it. I was starved. When we all ordered, I asked Emma about the meeting in the Council chambers.

“Emma, when we left the Council chambers earlier today, you wanted me to be quiet. Can you help me understand why I shouldn’t talk about it?”

Emma looked around before responding. “The Council chambers are magically sound proofed so people can’t listen in. Most higher-level Archdemons and Archangels have very good hearing. The first reason I didn’t want you to talk about it is I want to make sure you’re safe. Your situation is yours and it is up to you how much you share with others. This place isn’t like any school for humans and even softly spoken words can be overheard by those with enhanced hearing. Additionally, there are always people wanting to learn what is happening in the Council chambers. The area around the chambers is more prone to eavesdroppers. Be cautious about sharing your thoughts about the meetings you attend.”

“Thank you for that. It’s hard enough simply learning what is going on with me and combining that with an entirely new environment, new rules, and culture is a little overwhelming.”

Emma dropped her voice to the merest of whispers. “Remember that the Council members are thousands of years old. They may appear to work together, but you can be certain each one has their own personal agenda. To some, you might be considered a threat.”

“A threat? Me?”

“Shhh… If you were sealed because of accords being broken, that could put the fragile peace at risk. Some might use that to create tension or give them leverage. Not all agree peace is the right thing. Additionally, there are other factors about you that have raised some concerns among a few of the Council. Unfortunately, I shouldn’t speak more about this as I don’t want to usurp the Council in any way.”

I sat back in shock. How could I be a threat to anyone? I cast my gaze across the large dining hall. Monique entered and waved at me. My world had become so much more complicated.

***

After another amazing meal, Emma and Pete headed off for their first official date and I had another meeting to attend in the Council chambers. After our dinner discussion, I was more hesitant to go than ever before.

I stepped inside to only find Lucifer waiting for me.

“Ah. There you are, John. I’m looking forward to spending some time with you. Would you like to sit or walk?”

“After fighting skills class, if I sit, I think I will seize up like one of the many statues around this place. A walk sounds great.”

“Fantastic. These halls all get a bit stuffy after a while.”

Lucifer led me out of the Council chambers and to a path that meandered through the grounds of the complex.

“I’m sure this has been all rather confusing for you, John.”

Surprisingly, I found Lucifer very easy to talk to. “I’m grappling with my situation. I question why my parents abandoned me. I don’t know why anyone would bind me with magical seals. I must assume it was my parents, but there is no evidence to suggest that. Am I a threat?”

Lucifer raised an eyebrow but by his stance, I could see he wasn’t threatened by me. Why would the leader of the demons be ever afraid of me when he could squash me like a bug? “Are you a threat?”

“I can’t fathom that I’m even the smallest possible threat to society. I’m stuck in phase one of a four-part transformation. Who knows if the other seals will ever be broken? I’m therefore no threat to anyone because of strength, speed, or magical powers I don’t have.”

“Just because you don’t have strength, speed, or manifest your magical abilities yet, doesn’t mean you won’t receive them. Threats are not the same to everyone. I don’t fear you at all.”

“But you’re Lucifer, the most powerful Archdemon.”

He tipped his head. “Let’s say you suddenly became even more powerful than me. Should I fear you then?”

“No! Of course not. I’m not power hungry. I don’t want to lord over people. Sorry. I’m not saying that is what you do.”

Lucifer chuckled. “I heard you did well in fighting skills training today. When you were knocked down, you got back up and attacked again. That’s a very demonic trait. Ignoring pain and pushing yourself is an admirable quality.”

“You think I have demon blood?”

“I’m not certain, John. Tell me a bit about your past. What are the earliest things you can remember?”

“I don’t remember much before I was four or five. Just small flashes of memories. I think I had a few foster parents by the time I went to school. I’ve had four sets of foster parents since then, but luckily, I stayed in the same area. It’s how I got to know Pete so well.”

“Why did you get passed around so much? Were you evil? Destructive?”

“No. Not directly.”

“That’s odd phrasing, John. Care to explain?”

“It’s not that I was trouble, but trouble always seemed to find me. I was frequently in the wrong place at the wrong time and often I got blamed.”

“Like the time you rescued a little girl when a group of teenagers tried to steal her bicycle?”

I remembered the event well, but it sent a chill down my spine that Lucifer knew about it. “How do you know about that?”

“We have very skilled researchers. We’re trying to find out who you parents are. We have all your files from the foster system.”

“That’s…”

“Probably unsettling for you.”

“And yet it’s also comforting. I don’t want anyone to believe I’m a threat because I’m not. I also want to know who my parents are, and yet I also don’t, if that makes any sense to you.”

“I don’t think there was anything wrong with you, John. Your parents didn’t give you up because you were broken. Far from it. You have a photographic memory, don’t you?”

I looked away. I had never shared that with anyone.

“It’s all right for you to keep that hidden. It’s a trait very few Archangels and Archdemons share.”

“I never wanted anyone to know because my life was bad enough already. Teachers would have called psychologists. Foster parents would involve doctors. I was already considered a drain on society to most people. I was poor. I had no parents. I’m not good looking or strong. Those like me often are the ones targeted by others that want to feel better about themselves.”

“Like Troy?”

I shrugged.

“He’s an arrogant ass.”

I laughed so hard I almost snorted. “It’s strange, isn’t it? Someone that has had everything handed to them on a silver platter, turns out to be a womanizing lech that preys on those weaker than him?”

“When you share from your heart like that, I question your bloodline. Angels tend to see the world through the lens of justice.”

“I don’t think Troy inherited that gene.”

“Troy is missing several genes and possibly more than a few brain cells, I think. Enough about you. What questions do you have for me?”

This was an interesting twist in the conversation. I would never have imagined Lucifer being so thoughtful.

“I can ask you anything?”

“Absolutely.”

“What really happened? Were you cast down from heaven?”

“Yes. But not in the way human history portrays the events. This might be hard for you to fully grasp because your worldview is created by influences in your life. The stories you were told. Do you believe in God, John?”

“I’m not sure. Angels and demons exist. At least I got that figured that out.”

“These days, angels and demons are much more visible. How do you know what is right and wrong?”

“You’re trying to trap me with that question. I could see you argue that my perception of right and wrong comes from the rules society has formed about what is right and wrong.” I pointed to my heart. “I feel it here. I try not to judge a poor man stealing food, because I understand his plight. However, if the poor man steals from another person, taking all and leaving them to die, then I see that as being wrong.”

“There are two other worlds connected to Earth by gateways. These worlds are in another dimension, but they do exist. Angels and demons all lived together in what Earth calls heaven. Heaven is a planet that is called Apearid. Hell is a planet called Gomothon. Angels tend to be more black and white when it comes to rules. Demons see things in shades of grey. We always fought each other over what was right or wrong.

“When we discovered the gateways, we found Earth and Gomothon. The planets were a triad, connected via the interdimensional gateways. Gomothon had life, but no people that we knew of. Earth was populated by humans. Apearid had angels and demons, two contentious races that struggled to get along. We fought over Earth and what to do about it. The demons lost that fight and were banished to Gomothon. We had to rebuild our society from scratch.

“Once we regained our strength, we fought the angels for resources and technology. People on Earth would call this the war in heaven. During the war, the gateway between Gomothon and Apearid was destroyed. That is when the war in heaven came to Earth. To get to each other, we had to go through Earth. The war devastated all three worlds.

“When angels and demons were down to just hundreds of citizens, we realized the folly of our ways. No one wanted the annihilation of another species. The accords were signed and here we are today.”

“Do you have a family?”

“My mate and children were lost in the war.”

“I’m so sorry about that, Lucifer.”

“After the war ended, we realized we were still dying out. There was not enough of either species to sustain ourselves. We knew we could mate with humans and have offspring, but the results were a danger to humans. Half human and half demon or angels were the Nephilim. The first of those ruled Earth with devastating consequences. It wasn’t until after the peace accords were signed, that we came together to discuss the rules of interbreeding. Humans needed to be protected by the influences of the Nephilim. We established the Arch Council to keep the Nephilim in line.”

“Breeding with humans was an attempt to create more of your species?”

“Yes. A failed attempt.”

“Why did you and Michael only sire one Nephilim each?”

“I can’t speak for Michael, but for me it was never about breeding for the sake of breeding.” Pain flashed across his features. “I loved my human mate, Esmerelda. We were both excited when she became pregnant. She died giving birth to our son, Tarick. Apparently, Michael and I had similar experiences. Our additional strength and power were too much for our human mates. I didn’t have the heart to try again. I suspect Michael felt the same way. The other Archangels and Archdemons didn’t have the same problems.”

“Again, I’m very sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you for that, John. The Council has discouraged ongoing breeding by the Council members. Even Raphael has stopped producing Nephilim. We thought it might work to replenish ourselves. It failed and we have no desire to subjugate the human race with our problems. Our traits run strong and deep. If we didn’t stop, all humanity would be mixed with angel and demon blood and the only outcome would be war and devastation.”

“I may be a partially transformed whatever, but if I can help in any way please let me know.”

Lucifer patted me on my shoulder and led me back to my room in silence. Somehow, I never pictured angels and demons having such depth of emotions.

***

Two weeks had passed both quickly and slowly for me. Quickly in that every day brought new revelations. Slowly in that every night I eased my aching muscles, bones, and body back into bed. Fighting skills class was killing me even if I was getting better each day.

Pete and Emma were now officially a thing. They had moved from hand holding to kissing and seemed totally devoted to each other. The more time they spent together, the less I was comfortable being the third wheel. I spent most of my free time in the library learning as much as I possibly could about early angelic and demonic histories.

There had been no additional breakthroughs in unlocking my seals and the Arch Council members were slowly forgetting about me. I wondered when I would be deposited back at my old school.

The weeks also passed with no incidents. Surprisingly, I was holding my own in fighting skills with Michael’s ongoing tutoring, often being on par with a fourth generation Archangel or Archdemon. That didn’t mean I didn’t suffer from their hits that got through my ever-improving defenses. Of course, when I hit them, they barely noticed it.

Today started like any other day. I met Emma and Pete for breakfast and lunch. Monique even joined us from time to time adding some extra dimension to our conversations. Today she was missing, and I had thought nothing of it until I found her sitting outside during my independent study time. She was crying.

“Monique? Are you hurt? Is there anything I can do for you?”

“No. I was just stupid!”

“Would you care to talk about it?”

She patted the spot next to her. Except for her viscous fighting, she, like all the women here was amazingly beautiful and kind.

“You’re a man, right?”

I chuckled. “I’m not sure I would qualify as a man amongst humans. Here, I’m barely an ugly toad.”

“You don’t give yourself enough credit, John. Why are men so disgusting?”

“In general, I would agree with you. Did someone hurt you? If so, I’m all about hitting their ear with enough strength that they would think a gnat bit them.”

Monique laughed. “You hit a hell of a lot harder than that. Thank you for helping lighten my mood a bit. I fell for someone’s wiles and...”

“Is it someone I know?”

“Probably. It was Troy.”

“Oh… I’m so sorry.”

“He said he was very attracted to me. He loved the way I fought and the feistiness I have. We went to dinner, then for a walk in the gardens. That’s when he attacked me when I didn’t give him what he wanted. I’m no match for a third generation.”

“Did he…?”

“He tore my clothes, but I’m a better flyer than he is. I managed to get away. How could I be so stupid? I’ve seen the jerk with other women.”

“What I know about you, Monique, is you have a big heart. You try to see the best in people. You did that for me. It is a trait I’m envious of. You deserve someone way better than Troy.”

When a female angel smiles, it is the most beautiful thing in the universe. She smiled and hugged me.

“You’re right. I won’t let one rotten apple spoil my life.”

“He should be reported.”

Monique sighed. “That’s not how things work around here. Grievances need to be worked out between the two parties first. Since I wasn’t actually raped, his punishment would be light.”

“I understand the history between the two races and why they would strive for peace at all costs, but this isn’t right. It’s not like you can get through his thick skull with anything but sheer force and there are few that can challenge him.”

“No worries, John. Things will work out. Come on. We don’t want to be late for fighting skills class with the Archdemon Baal and his trusty sidekick, the whistle of pain.”

We arrived just before class began and Troy spotted us. I had no altercations with him since my first day at the Academy and I was never paired with him in fighting. He strutted by his group of friends and got right in Monique’s face.

“What are you doing hanging around this waste of air?”

“John’s my friend. He’s not like you that has no manners or morals.”

Troy growled. “You wanted it.”

Monique cringed and took a step back from him. That was it for me. I tackled Troy just as Baal walked in. With a single hand he lifted me off Troy.

“Looks like we have our first match up of the day. If you two have something to deal with, this is the place.”

Monique’s face paled. “It was my fault.”

Baal glared at her. “Admirable, little angel, but that’s not what I saw.”

Baal put me on the ground. Troy cracked his knuckles and grinned.

“This is going to be a fun and well-deserved pounding. I always said you don’t belong here.”

Baal walked over to the weapons table just as Michael showed up.

“What’s going on, Baal?”

“It appears John attacked Troy before class. Rules are rules. This is a safe place for them to work out their problems.”

“Troy is third generation and probably should have advanced by now.”

“John should learn who his betters are and not pick a fight he can’t win. I’ll let John choose the weapons to give him an edge.”

My heart was beating so fast, I was having a hard time breathing. I glanced at Michael, but he nodded to me. I knew he couldn’t stop the fight and it would just make me look like I needed his protection if he did.

“Staff.”

“Both of you, come grab your weapon and move onto the field.”

A feeling of dread washed over me. This was going to hurt.

We stood about twenty feet from each other. Troy was waving to the girls knowing I posed no threat. No one had ever beaten him from this group with any weapon.

“Here are the rules for the round. There are none. There is no time limit. When one is down and submits, the fight is over. Begin!” The piercing shrill of Baal’s whistle startled me.

Troy didn’t hesitate and smashed his staff down towards my head. I blocked the hit, but the force was so powerful, I was brought to a knee. Troy laughed, but my lower position gave me an opening at his ankle. I swung and felt the telltale connection of wood against bone. Troy cursed and brought his staff around so fast he clipped my side sending me rolling across the grass.

I growled and hissed away the pain as I came to my feet. Baal was smiling at the edge of the ring of onlookers. He enjoyed watching others suffer. Troy rushed me. I side stepped him and slammed my staff into his back propelling him forward. I moved to a better position and settled my stance while he slowed and turned.

“I’ve been holding back just to see what you’ve got. No more Mr. nice guy. Just remember, you asked for this.”

His staff became a spinning stake of death. It was moving so fast that I couldn’t see the ends of it. All I knew was somewhere in the middle of it all, he had to have his hands. I thrust forward, and his staff crashed so hard into the end of my staff I became unbalanced. I used my stagger to step back, spin completely around, and brought my staff down as hard as I could right into the middle of the spinning wood.

With a resounding crack, Troy’s staff dropped from his already bruising hand. I smiled, but my smile was short-lived. Before Troy’s staff even hit the ground, he snatched it with his uninjured hand, spun it over his head, and thrust it into my chest.

The hit sent me back end over end a dozen paces and knocked all the air from my lungs. My ribs were likely broken. Again. I coughed up a little blood as Troy walked slowly towards me. Pete, Monique, and Emma started shifting to protect me, but Baal held them back.

“No interrupting.”

Troy’s shoe was inches from my face. He bent down and spat at me. “What? Did you try to say something, groveling little worm?” Then he kicked me sending me rolling again. My staff now flung some ten feet away from me.

I took a slow, deep, and very painful breath and worked my knees under me. I glanced at Monique and remembered what Troy had done to her. Anger built within me. Troy slowly walked forward again as I inched myself into position.

Troy glanced back at the crowd and raised his arms in victory. He turned his attention off me for just a fraction. It was all I needed. I dove at him, my shoulder pressing up and under his solar plexus. I heard the air leave his chest and I slammed him to the ground. I thrust my knee into his groin and threw my elbow into his nose. I heard a satisfying snap. I pounded on him until he tried to talk. I paused.

“Stupid. Little. Flea.”

A burst of light came from Troy that slammed into my chest. I was launched thirty feet through the air, crashing against the stone wall of the training grounds. His light was a steady, powerful stream that buffeted me like a rag doll.

That’s when I screamed. Dark wisps of smoke and filaments light coalesced around me in a swirling mass. I couldn’t breathe as my body twisted and realigned itself. In the back recesses of my mind, I knew the second seal had just shattered. In moments it was all over. My pain eased. My labored breathing from broken bones smoothed. Strength flooded me.

It was as if everyone in the entire training yard paused and watched me in utter silence. My eyes fluttered open. Grass and dirt were the first things I saw. I moved my gaze further out towards my hand. My hand had clawed itself deeply into the grass. I stretched my other hand out and pushed myself up.

There were gasps from people around me. Maybe I was suddenly handsome and chiseled to perfection. Women were likely collapsing with desire. I started to grin until long mahogany-colored hair fell in front of my eyes. At first, I wondered if another woman had come to help me, but as I moved my head, the hair moved with me.

I looked back at my hands. One was too covered in dirt to see but the other was more delicate. The fingers were longer. I glanced down my chest. There was no mistaking that it was the chest of a female.

I gulped air like I was a fish out of water. Emma’s face appeared before me.

“Breathe, John. Take your time.” Her head turned away from me for her to shout. “Get back! All of you. Give him… her some room. We need the assessment team ready! Monique! Come here. Let’s help John get to his feet.”

I felt another pair of arms around my waist, a waist that felt much thinner than ever before. Emma’s face reappeared before me.

“Do you feel hurt, John?”

“No.” I croaked out. That single word sounded so foreign and yet so sensual.

“All right. Let’s get you to your feet. Keep your eyes on me, John.”

With Emma and Monique’s help, I stood. I started to look around when Emma’s fingers touched my chin.

“Let me check you out.”

Her hands slid slowly down my arms before hovering over my stomach. One hand touched my forehead.

“Any wounds you might have had are completely healed. Uhm… I’m sensing you’re fully female, John. This happens on occasion. Maybe less than five percent of the transformations. It has something to do with who the primary carrier of angelic or demonic blood was in the parents.”

I nodded and looked away from her. Troy stood not too far off. His nose was still bleeding, and his hand was swollen. It was the first time he ever appeared unsure of himself. He was probably wondering if his light magic caused this in me.

Pete was pacing back and forth not knowing what to do. Michael came over to us.

“Emma. Please take John to get him some proper clothing and get him cleaned up. The assessment team will meet you in an hour. After that, I think the Council will need to meet again after dinner.”

“Of course. Can you give me a hand, Monique?”

“Yes.”

It was perhaps slightly easier without the entire student body watching me. Emma kept her arm on mine as we moved towards the changerooms. I stopped when I saw the sign for the women’s changeroom.

“I can’t go in there.”

“Why not?”

“I’m not…”

“There is privacy throughout the changeroom, John. You need to get yourself cleaned up and I’m quite positive you want to see what you look like. Monique can go find you some clothing at the store.”

Monique put on a brave face for me. “I’m on it.” She stepped up close to me. “I’m just gauging your sizes. You’re about five foot ten. A little taller than me now. You were shorter than me before. I’m going to pull your shirt in a bit.” Her warm hands wrapped around my waist. “You have larger… Uhm… Okay. I think I have what I need. I’ll be back soon.”

“Thank you, Monique.”

Emma took my arm again and I hesitated to be led into the women’s changeroom.

“These changerooms are rarely used since everyone has their own bathrooms.”

“What if someone is in there in some state of undress?”

“Isn’t that every guy’s dream? Come on, John. You need to get cleaned up and I’m not taking you into the men’s changeroom.”

Emma pushed the door open and she had been right. There was no one around. She led me to a large stall that had its own toilet, shower, and sink with a mirror.

“I’ll be right outside the door. Take your time, John.”

I closed the door after her before turning to the mirror. I gasped.

“John. Are you all right?”

“Yes. It’s not every day you see yourself for the first time.”

I stared at my reflection. My face was flawless. Possibly even more lovely than Azriel’s. My eyes were large, bright, and captivating. Their shape and spacing gave me an exotic look. Their green color was like looking at the Amazon rain forest with sparkling emeralds scattered amongst darker green leaves. They took my breath away. I had prominent cheek bones and full, luscious lips. My skin was darker than most angels, but lighter than demons. I smiled exposing brilliantly white and perfect teeth. Small dimples appeared at the edges of my mouth giving me an innocent look.

My hair was dirty, filthy, and absolutely gorgeous. It fell to the small of my back. It looked like the finest of polished mahogany, complete with variations in colors from warm lighter colors to darker wood. My hair color exaggerated my incredible eyes.

“Focus, John. You need to shower and get cleaned up.”

Emma’s words pulled me from mirror. Briefly. I pulled my shirt over my head. It bunched under my new breasts until I pulled it out and away from me. I glanced back in the mirror to once again have my breath taken away. I was no experts on women’s breasts, but these appeared as close to perfection as one could get. They were large, full, and yet not sagging. I could also see my ribs and some distinguishing edges to my abs suggesting I had a very low percentage of fat. They weren’t so pronounced to make me look like a female body builder, but there to draw the eye to and show how fit I was.

I squeezed out of my pants and stood naked before the mirror. My hips were wide without making my butt large. My stomach was perfectly flat and toned. All my muscles were defined. I let my eyes drift down between my legs and to my feet. I spun slightly wondering what I might look like in a tight pair of jeans.

“Shower, John.”

“All right. I’m trying to get there. I’m…”

“Stunning. Azriel is going to be really upset that she’s been knocked off her throne. Use the shampoo twice and the conditioner twice.”

I turned on the shower and stood under the water. Water flowed sensually down and around my new body. I could feel every drop as it hit and slid over my perfectly smooth, hairless skin. I closed my eyes as I lathered myself up and washed my hair. It was distracting enough with them closed.

When I finished, I found a towel over the door and dried myself up carefully.

Two bags of clothes were pushed under the door.

“I got a few sizes of everything. You can take back anything that doesn’t fit.”

“Thank you, Monique.”

The panties were easy, the bra took a few tries, but I was far more flexible than before. There was a pair of designer jeans that I pulled on. They seemed to fit perfectly and when I turned to look at them in the mirror, my heart raced. I had thought the word perfection far too many times in the past minutes, but that was the word that came to mind once again.

I found a short sleeved white blouse that I put on and slipped on a pair of white sandals. I gathered up my old clothes and the bags of new clothes and stepped into the main changeroom.

Emma’s eyes sparkled.

Monique bounced on her toes. “You are so amazingly gorgeous! Oh… Sorry…”

“She needs to hear it and get used to it, Monique. Let’s see if we can help you with your hair, John.”

They led me over to a mirror and sat me down. Monique and Emma both found brushes and teased them through my hair.

“Thank you for standing up for me, John. You fought incredibly well. I heard the healers all refused to touch Troy. He’ll heal fast as it is, but the Gabriel line doesn’t have a lot of healing magic. He’ll be sore for a few days. You kept getting up and took him down several notches.”

“I kept picturing what he did to you. I couldn’t lie down and let him get away unscathed.”

Soon, my hair was dry and shone like wood that had been polished a thousand times. Long, natural waves gave it volume and depth.

“I guess I don’t have to rely on my personality anymore.”

Emma leaned over my shoulder and looked at me via the mirror. “Not that you were bad looking before, but now you have the looks to match your personality which I have always found extremely endearing. We need to get over to the assessment team. We have no idea how long it might be until the third seal is broken. We need to measure your strength and sample your blood again while we have the chance.”

As they led me through the halls, everyone we passed stopped to stare. We entered a room with another weight set. A team of five were waiting and they simply stood around with their mouths open.

“Team! Get to work!” Emma had to shout to startle them into action.

I was weighed, my height measured, and had five tubes of blood taken before I was put on the bench press.

“You know the drill. We keep adding weight until you can’t press anymore.”

I didn’t bother looking at the weight until we stopped.

Emma was reading off a tablet computer. “You pressed six hundred and ninety-three pounds. That puts you partway between generation four and three. Monique went to administration to see about arranging a private room for you. I think Pete would appreciate not having to feel awkward around you and you the same. I’ll take you down to dinner. Are you hungry?”

“Famished.”

As we walked to the dining hall, I recognized every nuance of my transformation. I felt the weight of my breasts bouncing slightly. I felt the way my hips twisted a bit more. I was three inches taller and I even noticed that subtle difference. I felt amazing.

Pete stuttered when he met me and struggled putting his words together. We opted for the fancy restaurant to give us a little more privacy to talk. Each booth inside was magically sealed for sound proofing and we could even select our own music for the booth if we needed it.

Monique joined us saying the administration found me a private room. Pete still had nothing to say.

“Pete. Talk to me. I’m still John.”

“I… I don’t know what… to say, John. I’m not sure if I should say I’m sorry this happened to you… or ask if you’re stronger than me. I’m lost and struggling.”

“I’m still your friend, Pete. That will never change. And…” I smiled. “Yes. According to the test I’m a little stronger than you but I don’t have any wings so I’m not sure what that means.”

Emma was excited to talk about all of this. “We’ll know for certain after dinner, but your second seal and second phase of the transformation is complete. I believe the large-scale angelic light magic when Troy blasted you is what triggered it. You wouldn’t get your wings until the final phase. The next phase, the third out of four, is called attunement. We believe the body strengthens again for the development of wings and the molecules attune to your magical affinities. I believe you still wouldn’t have magic until the final fourth phase, but seeing your changes take place staggered like this is what’s exciting. We get to find out if the theories are holding true.”

“Are the other phases as painful?”

“I think the third phase shouldn’t be painful at all but the fourth might be a little however the unlocking magic should bring healing and pain reduction. I guess we will find out.”

“John?” Pete was trying hard to look anywhere but me.

“Yes, Pete?”

“How… How do you feel?”

“I feel fantastic. I’m not sure if I should be feeling weird about changing genders, but I’m oddly at peace with it. Is it wrong to feel good?”

Emma shook her head. “I’m no expert, but I have spoken to two people that changed genders during their transformation. They said they felt great as well. Don’t let your mind go to dark places, John. Don’t worry about what others think. It is really important to feel free to be yourself and adapt as needed.”

“Next question?”

I looked over at Pete and nodded. “Sure. Anything.”

“Are you keeping your name because calling you John, just doesn’t work for me anymore.”

Monique jumped in. “Administration needs a new name as well for their records. Of course, you can keep yours if you want, but you can choose any name you wish.”

“Picking a name wasn’t the first thing my mind was dealing with, but I never liked my name anyways. What do you all think my name should be?”

Pete leaned forward and finally stared at me.

“That’s not creepy at all, Pete.”

He grinned. “Naming is an art form and I want to make sure the name matches you perfectly. Give DaVinci some room here.” Pete held up his hands to form a make-believe picture box. “I’ve got the perfect name. Helga’zon. It’s a good demonic name.”

“Sorry, Pete. I don’t want to be a Helga anything.”

Pete pouted.

Monica had no problems rolling names out. “Adria. Maia. Danae.”

Emma leaned back in her seat. “Sienna. Hanna. Katarina or Kat for short.”

This might be the name I have for the next thousand years. I needed to select it carefully. “Hmm. There was one name I really liked out of all of them. Katarina. The name gives me chills when I hear it. It rolls off the tongue like royal jelly.”

Pete tossed up his hands, clearly upset I didn’t pick the name of a female Olympic weightlifter. “Royal jelly? That sounds like a treatment for moldy bagels. Remember you must write your name. You’ll get writing cramps before you finish your name even once.”

I laughed at Pete. “Katarina. I love it. Katarina Bond. Sort of like James Bond.”

Emma grimaced. “Ugh. That sounds like something you would use to keep your dentures in place. How about Katarina Casteele?”

“Or Katarina Wolf. You are a wolf in a model’s body.” Monique suggested.

Pete shook his head. “If you must have a first name like Katarina, then how about Katarina Bellamore. In case you’re second guessing your first name, I was always partial to Esperansa De La Vega from The Mask of Zorro.”

I went back through the options. “No offense, Monique. But if my named was shortened to Kat, then Kat Wolf sounds strange to me. I like Casteele. It conjures images of strength and power. Bellamore is another of those names that rolls smoothly over my tongue. I can almost picture myself going to a ball and being announced. There’s a touch of softness and sophistication to it. Katarina Bellamore.”

Pete nodded slowly, but his look was confused. “You picture yourself at a ball? What exactly would you be wearing?”

I blushed. “It’s all Emma’s fault. She told me to go with my feelings and be me. I can’t sit back and deny that I’m feeling very feminine in this new body. I was imagining myself in a royal blue satin dress.”

Monique grinned. “You would look so beautiful in that.”

Pete frowned. “My best friend has become a girl. A girly girl.”

Emma punch his arm. “You don’t seem to mind when I wear a dress.”

“That’s different. This is John, err, Katarina we’re talking about.”

I pulled some hair back over my ear and looked up at Pete. “For my sake, Pete, please try not to make this harder on me than it already is. I’m different now. I have a chance to remake myself. For the first time, I don’t cringe when I look in the mirror. I want to be more confident and since there is no going back or changing into something else, I must look to my future with boldness and a resolute heart.”

Pete looked down. “I’ll do my best. If anyone deserves to be happy, it is you. I’m just struggling with the change and feeling a loss. I’m glad you like the changes.”

“Hey, Pete.” I said softly. “It’s not that I wanted to be female. I never considered that. I expected to be transformed into a taller, better looking, more athletic guy. I hope this change doesn’t cause a problem in our friendship. I know it’s hard on you too. While it is probably not as appropriate to talk about pretty women anymore, there is nothing wrong with us hanging out and doing the same things we used to do. And Emma?” Emma looked at me with deep compassion and empathy. “You are the best thing that has ever happened to Pete. Pete is like a brother to me. He’s my only family. I never want you to feel threatened by me.”

Emma grabbed my hand. “I’ll admit, when I saw how drop dead gorgeous you were, it gave me pause knowing what good friends you and Pete are. I don’t fear that, Katarina. You have a great heart. We all need to spend time together to help ourselves adjust. I hope one day you will see me as part of your family as well.”

“I already do. Please. My friends call me Kat.”

We all laughed as the seriousness of the moment passed. An hour later, we were all chuckling and toasting our wine as if we had been friends for a lifetime.

Monique held up her wine. “To the rematch with Troy. You did so well before, Kat. I can’t wait to see you wipe the floor of that sadistic piece of bat dung.”

“I’m not sure how I would do now.”

Emma shook her head. “Don’t even go there. Yes, you’ve transformed and have a new body, and your center of gravity has also been altered, but your faster and stronger than ever. Ask Michael for some private lessons and maybe Lucifer would also give you some. Keep yourself on the outskirts until you feel confident again. I have no doubt you will do extremely well.”

I held up my glass. “To Troy’s future broken nose.”

Emma glanced at a clock on the wall. “I should get you to the Council chambers, Kat. We also need to register your new name, get pictures, and even fingerprints.”

“Fingerprints?”

“Everyone’s fingerprints change some after their transformation. Yours have likely changed completely.”

“Darn!”

“What’s the matter?”

“If I had known my fingerprints were going to change I could have continued my life of ruthless criminality. John Doe no longer exists. There would be nothing tying me to my past heinousness.”

Pete snorted. “You were never heinous or ruthless. I’ll give you devious like the time you sprayed green dye all over Troy.”

“Once I give them my fingerprints, my life as a carefree jewel thief will be over.”

Everyone laughed again.

“No. I’m serious!”

Emma stood and extended her hand to me. “Come along, Miss notorious Kat burglar. We can’t keep the Council waiting.”

We had to wait for several Council members to arrive, but the wait wasn’t long. Emma and I moved to the center of the chambers. Michael led the discussion.

“John, I’m glad to see you up and about. How are you coping with your change?”

“It was in shock, but after a little wine with dinner, I feel comfortable with the changes.”

“I’m sure the wine helped a lot. I understand after the initial shock, those that change genders adapt quickly. You are quite breathtaking. Even more beautiful than Azriel.”

Azriel dismissed the notion with a humph and a wave of her hand.

Michael smirked at Azriel and continued. “Is there anything we can do for you to assist in your transition?”

“I chose a new name. Katarina Bellamore. I will need some additional clothing and, if it isn’t too much to ask, I would greatly appreciate some time with any of you to help my fighting skills. I need to gain confidence in my new body before being thrown to the wolves.”

Baal laughed. “Normally we just throw you to the wolves until you learn confidence. You don’t need additional training.”

Ignoring Baal, Michael said exactly what I had hoped he would. “I would be happy to work with you.”

Lucifer chuckled. “If you want to become skilled, Michael isn’t the best to learn from. He always fights fair. It’s his inner sense of justice that blinds him. I would be happy to make myself available to you as well if for no other reason than to give you balance in your fighting styles.”

“That would be more than I can ask for. Thank you.”

Michael shifted his gaze to Emma. “Emma. Can you summarize the findings from the assessment team?”

“Certainly, sir. Could I borrow your magic, Lucifer? The last time you infused your magic into Katarina, her seals and runes emerged so we could see them. Your power will help confirm that the second seal is broken and that two seals still remain.”

Lucifer nodded and stepped down. He grabbed my wrist and flames burst forth around his fingers. As he poured more and more magic into me, my runes began appearing until I was glowing again. Emma’s fingers pressed the light blouse along my back.

“Thank you, Lucifer. Although we surmised this to be the case, forcing Katarina’s runes to glow has proven our hypothesis. Only the first and second seals have been broken. In addition, we tested Katarina’s strength. She is now a 4.6 on the Arch-generational scale tables. That is stronger than any existing fourth generation Archangels or Archdemons, but still less than third generation.”

Emma paused as this brought some chatter amongst the Council members.

Michael told the Council to be quiet. “Emma, what can you tell us about her blood?”

“Same results as before. Her blood remains protected. We can’t prove lineage or race.”

“I was there when her transformation occurred. There was both darkness and light swirling around her. Her physical traits appear neither angelic nor demonic. What is the assessment team’s thoughts on this?”

“Unfortunately, inconclusive. The runes and protections are intricate. It is possible that the protections caused her transformation to be and looked mixed so that no conclusion could be derived. In other words, we can’t suggest she belongs to angelic, demonic, or is a hybrid of both. That may only happen when the fourth seal is broken.”

Rath’Tellez shouted out. “It may be too late by then!”

That was mirrored by Gabriel and Beelzebub.

“Quiet!” Michael hissed. He waited until the Council members silenced themselves. “Katarina and Emma. Thank you for coming. The Council needs to discuss these matters at length. Katarina. For the next two weeks, I would like you to skip your fighting skills class. Lucifer and I will create a schedule to work with you during that time.”

Baal huffed and threw up his hands.

“Thank you all.”

Emma and I slipped out of the Council chambers. She whispered to me. “Stay quiet. I know you have questions. When we get to your room, we can talk more openly.”

I nodded. We stopped by administration and got my room number and we gave them my new name. Fingerprints and a photo were taken so my identification could be created. Afterwards, we stopped by the store.

Emma and another lady helped measure me. I wasn’t up to changing and trying things in the store, but they assured me I could always bring items back I didn’t like them, or they didn’t fit me. We left with four large bags of clothing and a fifth bag of other miscellaneous items I needed. Emma and the person in the store helped me tremendously. We even selected a few dresses and skirts in case I was feeling brave.

When we arrived at my new room, I was thrilled. It was slightly larger than the old room I shared with Pete. It had a great view and even a small balcony overlooking the gardens. With the door closed and the items all put away, Emma sat me down.

“It should be safe to talk now, Kat.”

“Why would the Council be worried about me?”

“There are several factors for this. Let’s start with the first one. We’ve spoken about the Arch-generational strength tables. There is a direct correlation between one’s physical strength, their speed, and their magical power. When your first seal broke, you were at 1.8 on the scale. After your second phase, you’re now 4.6. If you continue your trend and follow our theoretical models, by the time you complete your fourth phase, you could possibly be more powerful than any of the Archangels or Archdemons, maybe even more than Michael or Lucifer.”

“Oh… That’s not possible.”

“It might be. There could only be a few possibilities for this which is why this is so hotly debated within the Council. Either you are the child of two of the Council members, or two Nephilim of two different races.”

I felt a frown form. “I can’t imagine two of the thirteen Archangels and Archdemons could be my parents. How could they sit there and not say anything? And two Nephilim from two different races, I would still be third generation.”

“What would keep the Council members from breeding with each other is that there are separate rules they live by and none of the women could stay hidden for nine months during pregnancy. Their laws state they can’t mate with each other. The desire was to never grow the ranks of Archangels or Archdemons. Coming forward would demonstrate that a pair of them broke their laws. The same goes for the Nephilim. There are accords to never cross breed.”

“But that doesn’t answer the question about me being a third generation.”

Emma grabbed a pen and paper from the desk and started drawing. “A Nephilim is the child of an Archangel or an Archdemon with a human. Their racial makeup would be fifty percent angel or demon and fifty percent human. Assume two Archangel Nephilim mated. The result would be another Archangel Nephilim because you can’t multiply the angelic DNA. The child would still be half Archangel and half human. This doesn’t happen the same way with two different races. The child of an angelic Nephilim and a demonic Nephilim could be one of four outcomes. They could be fully human, a demonic Nephilim, an angelic Nephilim, or a hybrid of angelic and demonic. Theoretically, the chances of a hybrid are higher because of the nature of DNA from the races. Angelic and demonic DNA are stronger and more powerful than human DNA. The problem is that no hybrid has ever been born and I can hardly believe angels and demons have not at the very least had sex with one another.”

“Even a hybrid would be half as strong as an Archangel or Archdemon.”

“No. What makes an Archangel so powerful is that they are fully angelic. Angels and demons share a lot of common traits. A hybrid born to two Nephilim could easily be as powerful as a full angel or demon.”

I sighed and sat back on the bed.

Emma bit her lower lip. “I have a theory about you.”

“Your other theories have all seemed accurate so far. Do I want to know?”

“The question arises as to why your strength is higher than normal. If we exclude the Council members as your parents, then that leaves only one other possibility. You are the daughter of Micah, Michael’s only child and another demonic Nephilim, even though the chances of this happening would be next to nothing.”

“Why does it have to be Micah?”

“Michael and Lucifer are stronger than the other Council members, so it is either Micah or Tarick, Lucifer’s son that is your parent. Because you transformed into a woman, following what we understand of power and gender, it leaves you with Micah. I can be way off, but I think you deserve to know.”

“The Council is upset because they understand this?”

“I don’t think they have thought this through as thoroughly as I have as they seem to be more focused on your final transformation outcome. The two primary concerns they have are that you might become as powerful or more than them, or you are possibly a hybrid, or both. In any event, your existence threatens the status quo.”

“I would never use my power to overthrow anything. I’m not anyone’s threat. Before my first transformation phase I wasn’t a threat and yet I had bullies pommeling me all my life. Now, I know I’m not a threat to the Council, and what, they want to kill me? It just feels like the bullies keep getting more powerful in my life.”

“If it turns out you’re Michael’s grandchild, I can’t see him letting that happen to you. He has already taken an interest in you. He may be the only one thinking this all the way to conclusion. However, until your seals are gone, there is no proof of anything.”

“At least you’ve given me more to think about than changing genders. Thank you for everything you have done for me. You really are an angel.”

“And so are you, Katarina Bellamore.”

***

That night I stayed awake a long time. I moved from the bed to the bathroom to stare at myself in the mirror at least a dozen times. I tried on all the clothes, even the dresses and skirts. I had a hard time deciding what I looked better in. The dresses felt more exhilarating and comfortable, yet I worried what others might say.

As I stared at myself, I twisted and turned soaking in the new me. I couldn’t help but feel exuberant and yet I felt guilty that I wanted to distance myself from the old me.

By morning, those feeling had all left me. I loved the way my body felt and how it moved. Every part of me tingled with energy and sensuality. My hair was a tangled mess, but I smiled as I looked at myself in the mirror. I showered with my eyes open and took extra time to discover my body. I washed my hair and used a blow dryer and brushes to smooth is out. I loved my hair even if it got in the way at times.

My fingers dallied on one of the dresses, but I put on a pair of jeans and combined that with a beige blouse. I made my way to the dining hall hoping to meet up with Pete, Emma, and Monique. A smile touched my lips as I thought about poor Pete being surrounded by three gorgeous women. It was the stuff we could only dream about before our transformations.

I was scanning the hall when Troy stepped in front of me. His eyes were bruised black, but he had healed well. His eyes roved up and down my body creeping me out.

“I always knew you were feminine, John.”

“My name is Katarina now. Is that extra eye shadow that you put on today?”

A low growl came from Troy’s throat. “I guess my light magic exposed you for who you truly were all along.”

“I guess the same could be said about you. You couldn’t beat me in a fair fight, so you had to resort to your magic knowing I had none to protect myself with. Yeah. That’s manly.”

His eyes raked over me again. “You did better than I expected. Perhaps we should put the past behind us?”

“I would be fine with that as long as you don’t think for one second that means I would ever trust you.”

“I heard that those that change genders, fully change. You’ll be looking for a man soon.”

“I certainly don’t see one around. Will you let me know if you find any?”

Pete and Emma came to my side.

“Everything all right, Kat?”

“Fine. Thanks, Pete.”

Troy never took his smoldering eyes off me as we stepped around him and found a table. When our food came, I ate slowly.

“It would have been easier if I transformed before coming here. Everyone here knows who I was before. Troy will never see me as anything other than John.”

Monique sat down next to us. “No one cares what Troy thinks. The good news is you don’t have to listen to Baal and his whistle for a few weeks. I heard the scuttle that Michael and Lucifer are going to train you.”

“I’m so pleased I get to skip those classes for a bit.”

Monique nudged me. “Did you see that table of guys over there? They can’t stop staring at you.”

“They’re just trying to figure out the whole gender change thing.”

“Are you kidding me? No way. It’s easy to tell when a guy is noodling something that confuses them or when they are thinking with other parts of their bodies. Look at them. Mouths open. Wide eyes. Sleepy expressions. If they were thinking about gender changes, their noggins would be all scrunched up. No offense, Pete, but guys need to be more focused on shifting blood to their brains when they want to think. It’s easy to tell. Right, Emma?”

“For certain. Those guys are definitely not thinking with their brains right now.”

I put my head down, feeling the weight of my hair shift. I glanced over towards the other table and sure enough, the guys were staring at me. “Can we not talk about this right now?”

Pete smiled. “I find the whole conversation very thought-provoking. How would I know if a girl is interested in me?”

Emma shifted a little closer to him. “They move in your direction like you are a magnet and they were iron.” She flipped her hair over her shoulder. “They might expose their neck as they imagine your lips kissing them there. It’s a very sensual and vulnerable spot.” She leaned in and whispered into his ear. “She might even be bold and inhale your manly scent.”

Pete was blushing furiously and would likely not want to stand up. I actually giggled in a very feminine way. Monique nudged me again and leaned towards Pete.

“Oh, Pete!” She flicked her hair back.

Pete leaned back and pointed his finger at all of us. “Devious devil women you all are!”

I laughed. “We’re all angels.”

“Nope. No way. Not a chance.”

***

Azriel glared at me a little as she entered history class. Since breakfast, I paid a little more attention to the way people were looking at me. Today, the guys in class looked between Azriel and me several times, before locking their gazes on me for the remainder of the class. Azriel was gracious enough to introduce me as Katarina. She might consider me competition, but I was far from it.

After class, there were several guys that approached me. These people didn’t even acknowledge I existed before. It was the same situation in Career class except that Ag’thamar didn’t glare at me and the guys never stared at him to begin with. He too introduced me as Katarina.

As the day progressed, more and more people seemed to suddenly know my name and wanted to speak with me. Even the ladies seemed more interested in wanting to talk. At lunch, it was all I could do to simply eat a burger between people interrupting me.

When I reached a peak of frustration, I blurted out between quick bites, “What is going on?”

Emma, Pete, and Monique all played innocent as if nothing were happening. When another young woman came by to introduce herself and two more guys did the same after her, I narrowed my eyes at my lunch partners.

“What. Is. Going. On?”

Emma took my hand in hers. “Welcome to being a pretty woman.”

Monique chuckled. “If you weren’t the most beautiful woman in all the worlds, maybe it wouldn’t be such an issue.”

“Okay. I get the guys coming by with enough drool to fill a swimming pool. I mean, I would have never been so brave, but I understand that feeling of seeing a gorgeous woman. I’m not that special or pretty.”

Pete choked and Emma patted him on the back. “Seriously, Kat? Everyone knows that Azriel is the most beautiful of all women. Hands down. No question.”

“See. Pete’s right.”

“I didn’t finish, Kat. In class today, I had a great opportunity to compare the two of you. If Azriel were a fifteen out of ten, you’re a twenty. It’s like you have the best traits from demonic and angelic races.”

I shook my head in disagreement, but the feeling of my shifting hair made me almost smile. “Pete’s not right.”

Monique and Emma nodded. “Sorry to burst your bubble, Kat. You put all us women to shame.”

“You’re wrong because your both stunning. What I really don’t understand is why women are coming up to me.”

Monique shrugged. “Leftovers.”

“What?”

“It’s simple, Kat. You’re a guy magnet. Hanging around you will provide opportunities for other women to snatch a handsome guy.”

Emma grinned. “Some probably want to sleep with you too. We can’t ignore that possibility.”

Pete leaned forward and whispered. “That’s so hot!”

“Pete!”

I turned to Emma. “Tell me this will all die down. Once the uniqueness wears off, people will just forget about me.”

“Maybe.”

“Oh, thank God.”

“But just by a small fraction.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“Forgetting you would be like trying to forget the Sistine Chapel, the Louvre, sunset in the Azores.”

Monique quickly added her thoughts. “Or like seeing an angelic enhanced version of Ben Afleck nude. Just saying. I haven’t thought about that at all. Really. Not more than a couple of times.”

“How do you deal with it?”

“The thoughts about Ben Afleck?”

“No! The stalkers.”

“Never happens to me. Emma probably has to deal with it though.”

Emma shrugged. “By hanging out with someone prettier than me, the amount of people that focus on me dwindles significantly. It’s worked like a charm all day.”

Some guy walking by waved. “Hi, Katarina.”

I dropped my head to the table.

Pete was no help at all. “I’m positive Azriel figured out a way to block out all the guys mentally peeling her clothes from her body. Maybe you can talk to her?”

“Not. Helping.”

***

I headed to the library after lunch trying to break away from the stares as much as possible.

“Katarina! It’s good to see you here. I heard that you had your transformation and that you were beautiful, but no words could have prepared me for the vision of pure loveliness that you have become.”

At least the librarian seemed genuine and caring.

“Thank you.”

“I bet it is all quite a shock.”

“It’s taking some time to get used to.”

“Is there something I can help you find?”

“Do you have any genealogies with pictures and traits?”

“I have genealogies for all people with any angelic or demonic blood in them. They are magically updated and always current. The only ones with pictures and biographies cover just the Council members and their children. Would that help?”

“Yes. That’s what I’m looking for.”

She led me up to the second floor, around a few corners, to a row of books. She pulled a large one off the shelf and dusted it off.

“I don’t get asked for this much. Probably hasn’t been off the shelf for forty years. Here you go.”

“I’ll put it back when I’m done. Thank you.”

The librarian left me, and I found a table in a hidden away back corner to sit down and read through the book. The table of contents consisted of thirteen separate pages, one for each Archangel and Archdemon. I found Michael’s, then located the page number for Micah. I turned the page to her picture and biography.

I pulled in a gentle breath as I traced her picture with my fingers. I always pictured Michael’s daughter as being beautiful, but what I couldn’t imagine was how gentle and caring she appeared to be. It was difficult to maintain any anger as I gazed upon her features.

The biography was brief. Micah was nearly four hundred years old, but rarely ever seen. According to what was written, she never even attempted to mate with anyone. The author listed her traits and power. She was listed as being a 14.7 on the scale. Gifted in all the angelic magical types.

I felt a wave of sadness fall over me. If Emma’s theory was correct, then Micah was the mother I never got to know. For some reason she deposited me at the fire station then walked away, leaving my life to unfold as it had.

I put the book away and left the library. When I returned to my room to change for fighting training, I found a note from Lucifer to join him in one of the gardens. After a quick change and using a hairband to pull my hair back, I went to find the strongest of all demons.

Lucifer was sitting on the top edge of a bench when I arrived. The way he sat made him seem more human.

“Katarina. I hope this location is acceptable.”

“If it gets me away from the prying eyes of others, all the better.”

“Is it that bad?”

“I went from a nobody to Hollywood star status overnight. It’s been overwhelming.”

“I have something that will make it easier on you.” He held up a blindfold.

“You’re going to wear that?”

He shook his head and grinned. “You are. I want you to stand just over here. You need to learn what you are up against when you face a powerful demon.”

I moved to where he pointed and in the blink of an eye, he was right in front of me. I was so startled, I leapt back five feet, falling on my backside.

“You need to rely on more than your eyes. You need to feel the magic in the air, touch the subtle adjustments in the air around you, and hear the slightest of movements. You can be in the middle of a fight when a demon materializes behind you with a blade. This skill, along with our never give up attitude, is how we held our own against larger numbers of angels.”

I picked myself up and dusted off. “Show me what I need to know.”

He tied the blindfold over my eyes. I kept them open trying to see.

“Stop trying to look. Listen. Feel.”

His voice drifted closer to my ear, then he was gone.

“Where am I, Katarina? Point where you sense I am.”

I pointed, then realized he was gone. The next thing I knew, he touched my shoulder.

“Stretch out your senses.”

This time I felt the air pull away from me and I heard a slight rustle to my right. I pointed there.

“Good.”

Then he was gone. I felt the air shift right in front of me and I pointed straight ahead.

“Your feeling needs to expand. Even when there is wind, you should be able to sense the subtlest of changes. It’s even better if you feel the magic as it ripples in waves where I will be even before I arrive there.”

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes to help my concentration. I recalled the sensations of magic as it pulsed around me during my phases, when Pete transformed, when Lucifer had touched me. I could feel it now. It was subtle. Almost imperceptible. I felt a change to my left, and I pointed. Then to my right and I pointed again. Lucifer began moving faster. He was utterly silent. This went on for many minutes until he stopped in front of me.

“You failed to point at me.”

I smiled. “I know where you are. You smell of pine and earth.”

Lucifer chuckled. “You know where I am, but where is my hand? I have placed a foot-long stick in my hand. You need to block my hand from striking you.”

Suddenly, he was behind me and his stick smacked hard against my butt. I yelped.

“Not fair!”

“It could have been a knife or a sword. Focus! You have to dig deeper.”

He was at my right and I spun, but the stick smacked against my side. He moved away, then behind me. Over the next ten minutes, he had hit me at least fifty times. I growled.

“Don’t growl at me, Katarina. Learning this will save your life.”

He sifted himself behind me and smacked my butt again. A half second later, he was before me. My hand reached out as fast as I could move it and caught his hand mid-strike. My hand closed on air the next second and I felt the magic behind me. I spun, dropped low, and swept Lucifer’s legs out from underneath him.

“Excellent! Go ahead and take off your blindfold.”

I did and blinked several times to adapt to the light.

Lucifer was smiling. “You are the fastest learner I have ever taught. I left you two presents in your room. You will wear both tomorrow.”

“Wear?”

Lucifer tipped his head and walked away.

I headed straight to my room to see what he was talking about. I carefully opened the door, not knowing what to expect. Hanging on a hook was a beautiful black dress. Below the dress a pair of low-heeled black shoes rested on the floor. On the desk sat a jeweled dagger in a black thigh sheath.

“He wants me to fight in a dress?” I whispered. My agitation, however, was quickly erased as I ran my fingers over the silky fabric.

I smiled, changed into my jeans and a fancier top, then headed down to the dining hall.

***

I found Emma gently touching Pete’s eye. Her magic was removing a nice bruise.

“What happened?”

“Troy happened.” Pete winced a little.

“Care to elaborate?”

I felt someone behind me and turned to see Monique joining us. Lucifer’s training was already paying off even though Monique wasn’t a threat.

“Troy suggested to Emma that she should be with a real man since Pete was already involved with you.”

“What?” I felt my blood boil. “Doesn’t that jerk have anything better to do? How did Pete get the black eye then?”

“Emma slugged Troy. Troy backhanded Emma across the field. Pete went berserk. I think he broke Troy’s nose again, but Troy knocked Pete out with his hit.”

I hissed. “This needs to end.”

Emma looked over her shoulder at me. “Don’t do anything stupid, Kat.”

I spotted Troy with a pair of women. I marched across the dining hall and stood in front of him.

“I’ve got room for another lady, since that is what you are.”

“According to the Academy rules, I challenge you. In two weeks during fighting skills class. Your choice of weapons. We fight until one or the other yields. If I win, you’re done with the harassment of me and my friends.”

“Look, darling. I would hate to mess up that pretty face of yours. I understand you can’t heal yourself and others have a hard time healing you as well. I’m only looking out for your best interests. Kiss me and I will stop harassing your friends and no one will get hurt.”

“I would sooner kiss a bloated, dead cow. I have made a challenge according to Academy rules. The Council can decide if my demands are binding if your forfeit now.”

“The challenge rules state I must earn something if I win. I will accept a date with Emma and Monique.”

“Not acceptable. This is between you and me.”

He shook his head smugly. “You made it about them too.”

“I accept.” Emma stepped up next to me.

“You can’t!”

Monique rested her hand on my shoulder. “And I accept as well.”

“No!”

Troy held his arms out wide with a smile on his face. “Challenge accepted.”

I pointed my finger at him. “If you touch my friends between now and then…”

“No need for threats, Katarina Bellamore. Troy is bound. I’ll see to it personally that he abides by the rules of the challenge.”

I shivered as Baal slithered by us.

Emma pulled me away so we could find a private, soundproofed booth. It was Pete that spoke first.

“What the hell, Kat? Are you trying to get yourself killed? Troy’s not worth it.”

I ignored Pete and faced Emma and Monique. “What were you both thinking?”

Monique shrugged. “You are always so concerned about others, I figured you would fight harder if you weren’t fighting for yourself.”

“Plus, you’re going to kick his ass.” Emma beamed.

“Yeah. That too.”

I was so angry my hands were shaking. Pete put his hand down on mine to stop them.

“At some point, we need to learn to fight our own battles. Troy is still around fifty percent stronger and faster than you. He’s excelling in all the fighting skills and will likely move up to the advanced group at any time. You have nothing to prove to me. You don’t have to protect us.”

I sighed. “I know I don’t have to protect you, Pete. People like Troy shouldn’t be allowed to continue what they do. This is just as much for my benefit as anyone else’s. I’m done worrying what the next abuse is going to be, or when the next time he jumps out and breaks my ribs again. I’m done with being bullied. Win or lose, I hope that I’m demonstrating I will fight for myself and those I care about.”

Emma shifted topics slightly. “You trained with Lucifer today?”

I nodded.

“How did that go?”

“It was… amazing. He challenged me to rethink how I fight. Just when I get a little confidence, he shows me what I’m truly up against. The thing is, I’m still earthbound and have no magic. Fighting someone that can blast me with light, fly, sift and pop into existence behind me, or burn me to a crisp, is frightening. Sure, I’m stronger and faster than ever, but I need to learn to protect myself with what I have. That’s what he’s teaching me.”

“Historically, I don’t know if Michael and Lucifer have ever trained anyone before. You should be honored.”

“Believe me. I am.”

***

The next morning as I was getting changed, I cast my gaze on the black dress and shoes. The shoes had a slight heel to them. If I only put them on for my training session, I might not have had time to get used to them and I didn’t want to disappoint Lucifer. By extension, I also needed to get used to the dress and the dagger. Since there were no rules about carrying weapons on campus, I opted to wear the entire ensemble for the day.

Once changed, I stared at myself in the mirror. The black dress emphasized my breasts, thin waist, and showed a lot of my legs. The hem rested just below mid-thigh and above my knees. The dress was incredibly sexy, and the hint of the dagger sheath strapped to my right thigh lured my eyes like a tantalizing mystery that needed to be unraveled. I looked amazing and felt powerful.

I feared the responses of students and Pete, but as I spun to look at myself from all angles, I lifted my chin slightly. This was the new me and I didn’t want to hide myself away or base my clothing choices on what others thought.

I walked slowly around my room several times while watching myself in the mirror. I carefully adjusted my walk and how I stood, grateful I could apply my quick learning abilities to lock in the correct body movements. I strove for proper posture and graceful, elegant movements. I did the same exercise for sitting. The dress was short enough to expose a lot of my legs and thighs when I sat. I needed to be careful to not show too much.

When I felt I was ready, I headed down to breakfast. I had only passed a few students in the hallways on my way to the dining hall. One fellow crashed into a garbage can as I walked by. Another had whistled from a distance. I smiled feeling like I was not letting the attention bother me as much until I entered the dining hall.

My steps faltered as the busy, noisy room fell completely silent. Every eye turned to me and I fought the desire to turn around and run the opposite direction. I scanned the room to spot Pete, Monique, and Emma all frozen mid-step with their mouths open and eyes wide. I waved to them and the room began to move again as if I had released a spell that had locked them all in place.

Monique’s smile just kept getting bigger as I joined the group. “Oh. My. God. Emma, I think your services might be needed to restart the hearts of all the men in the dining room. Kat, you look fantastic!”

Pete was staring at my legs until Emma smacked his arm.

“You’re wearing… a… dress.”

I put on a forced smile and spun, trying to hide my crashing emotions. It was too feminine. Too soon. “You don’t like it, or do you think I shouldn’t wear one?”

Pete shook his head. “It suits you. Monique is right. You look fantastic. I don’t want you to feel like I’m critical. I can’t imagine the changes you have gone through, but I’m your friend and I want you to feel comfortable.”

“You don’t know what that means to me to hear you say that. I’ve been scared to look or dress too feminine for fear of other’s reactions.”

“Emma has been schooling me on the physiological changes that occur during your type of transformation. I will say that the dress is a little formal and is that a sheath on your…” Pete couldn’t get the word thigh out. I guess he was embarrassed.

I pulled out the jeweled dagger. “The dress and dagger were gifts from Lucifer. He said I needed to wear them to training.”

Pete scowled. “Just what kind of training needs a dress?”

“I’m thinking he wants me to learn to fight in any circumstances. The dress makes me feel a little more exposed, and the low heels unbalanced. I know you don’t want to hear this, Pete, but the dress is so comfortable. I love it.”

“Emma? Could there be something wrong with Kat? She’s smiling more than she ever did as John.”

“Most likely it’s the estrogen.”

Pete ran his hands through his hair. “Too much information. Is anyone hungry?”

***

The day progressed well and even though the attention I received was more than the day before, I thought I handled it better. Emma had commented on how well I walked and sat, and that added to my confidence that I didn’t look like a guy in my movements.

When I entered the garden area for my training, Lucifer stood quickly to his feet.

“I have seen many beautiful sights, but you are stunning, Katarina. You remind me a little of…” His gave became unfocused and he shook his head. “Have a seat.”

“Is this part of the training?”

“I’m merely being polite to offer you a seat since I feel a need to have a conversation with you prior to your training.”

I sat down on the bench and looked up into his eyes.

“Word of your challenge has come to my attention.”

I bit my lower lip. “I was angry. It was stupid of me.”

“Do you say that because you have lost your resolve or that you feel I’m chastising you?”

“I haven’t lost my resolve, but I feel it was brash and not well considered. Sometimes I act before thinking. It’s as if the world vanishes and all my attention is on one thing. I do worry this will reflect badly on my character or the Academy.”

“Why did you challenge Troy, Katarina?”

“I felt he deserved to be punished. He tried to rape Monique. He slandered Pete. He has a history of abusing me and others. No one ever stepped in. He was never punished. Now… now he has more power than ever, and it has just made him a bigger bully.”

“You know he is faster and stronger than you. He can fly. He can send light magic at you.”

“You don’t think I can beat him.”

“I didn’t say that Katarina. I know you can beat him, but you need to be sharper than a razor in your focus. What is the outcome you want to achieve?”

“I would love it if I could defeat him quickly and decisively enough that he never thinks of harming me or my friends again.”

“Good. With his strength, comes stamina. Quickly disabling Troy will be imperative. Keeping him on your level is important. You can’t let him fly and you’ll need to avoid his magic. It’s not that his magic can hurt you because you are immune, but the force of his magic is tangible, like a gale force wind. We will work on this together. You, young lady, need to work on what’s going on in here.” He tapped his finger to my forehead. “Don’t let bloodlust take over your actions. If you get hurt, don’t lash out. Be thoughtful, precise, and determined in every single move. Be aware of your surroundings, the magical currents, and the shifts of air.”

“Got it. Thank you for the dress, by the way. It’s beautiful. I would hate to ruin it.”

“Stand for me and turn around.”

I did even if I thought it an odd request.

“Why did I ask you to wear the dress today?”

“To remind me to be ready no matter what the circumstances?”

“You overthink things, Katarina. I asked you to wear the dress to force you to learn more about yourself. You need to have confidence in who you are if you are to live effectively with other people.”

“It was nothing to do with fighting?”

“Who do you fight?”

“Troy? Other people maybe?”

“Life is lived not in isolation but in relation to others. The times you need to fight physically are rare compared to the amount of time you fight to maintain our own individuality. Confidence in who you are is vastly more important when it comes to the less subtle battles with others. Putting this into perspective, if you fight Troy without knowing who you are, you will lose no matter the outcome because you will still not know who you are at the end of the fight. You need to know what you believe, what you stand for, before that heart of yours that yearns for justice can guide your actions.”

“The dress was nothing more than an attempt to get me to accept who I am?”

Lucifer smiled. “It was far more than that. I’ve lived many thousands of years, Katarina. I derive satisfaction through subtle manipulations and nuances. Yes, I wanted to challenge your inner self. I wanted you to learn to fight in something other than pants. I wanted to expand your awareness of what is happening around you. I wanted to win a bet I had with Michael that I could get you to wear a dress and I really wanted to see Azriel’s reaction to you.”

My anger riled up within me. “It was a bet?”

Lucifer laughed. “Michael thought it would take you longer to wear a dress of your own volition.”

“You told me to wear it. That’s not my own volition.”

“You wore it this morning when you only needed to wear it for this session.”

“And I don’t need Azriel mad at me.”

“Azriel stormed into the Council chambers after your class with her this morning. She was fuming that the guys no longer paid any attention to her when you are around. It was priceless to see her reaction.”

“I can see why history paints you in a diabolical light.”

“You wound me, Katarina.” He didn’t look overly wounded as he chuckled and stepped into the garden. “Let’s get to work. You need to learn how to fight with a dagger.”

We spent three grueling hours in training. My arm was sore from throwing daggers at stationary and moving targets. Lucifer wasn’t satisfied until I could consistently hit a six-inch disk tossed into the air from thirty feet away. Once we moved from that skill, he showed me how to handle the dagger, thrust, block, and fight. We ended the day with me being blindfolded again and him sifting in and around me holding disks for me to stab.

***

The two weeks being away from my official fighting skills training class passed uneventfully. Troy maintained his distance and didn’t bother any one of us. I trained three hours a day with Lucifer, Michael, and sometimes both at the same time. My skills were improving at an incredible rate.

Mentally and emotionally I was improving each day. I dressed the way I wanted, but slowly had begun increasing the frequency of wearing dresses and skirts preferring the comfort and feel of them. I was able to mostly ignore the looks and stares, but I didn’t wish to be rude either. I talked to more people and said hello when they greeted me. Except for the times I pondered the looming fight with Troy I was happy and energized. More than I had ever been.

Walking into the training area, I was taken aback by the number of people that came to see the big event. Word had spread rapidly. The entire Council was present as was most of the student body.

Emma had braided my hair to keep it out of the way and I wore pants and a long-sleeved top that would cover my skin as much as I could.

All eyes turned towards me as I stepped forward, handing my dagger and sheath to Pete. Whispers rolled through the crowd.

“You got this, Katarina.”

“Put Troy in his place.”

My eyes shifted towards Troy. He looked confident and laughed easily with his friends bragging about the dates he would be winning.

I swallowed and closed my eyes. I wouldn’t let my anger fuel my actions.

Baal called everyone to attention. “Today, it will be a pleasure to witness the first challenge at the Academy in years. Katarina Bellamore challenged Troy Gaben to a fight until yield. Troy has been given choice of weapons. Troy, what weapons do you choose?”

“Daggers. I want to be close enough that Katarina can kiss me.”

I ignored his comment and quietly picked two daggers from the weapons table.

The crowd started to shift forming a large circle. Baal held up his hand for silence.

“Troy and Katarina, come to the center of the ring.”

I had to look up to see the smirk on Troy’s face.

“Katarina. There is no shame in yielding now before the fight. The same goes for Troy. Do either of you wish to yield now?”

“No.” It was a struggle to keep my voice level and smooth.

“I feel badly for how much you will be in pain while I am sipping wine with your friends. No. I do not yield.”

Baal addressed us and the crowd. “You are both trained fighters. You will not attempt to permanently main or kill the other. Blade use is for below the neck only. I reserve the right to call the fight if one contestant is severely wounded or in danger of death. Take your positions.”

I stepped to a white spot that represented my starting position. Troy headed to another spot marked on the ground. I closed my eyes once again to attune myself to my surroundings. When I felt settled and calm, I opened my eyes to focus on Troy.

“Not too late, little girl. Kiss me and this all goes away.”

Baal put his whistle to his lips. The crowd went silent.

I had a flash of fear and my heart raced, but I forced it back to normal. The whistle sounded. The fight had begun.

I felt the shift of air before Troy moved. I could sense what he was about to do. I planted myself more firmly as he charged me like a bull. I adjusted my position a fraction to the right as Troy’s knee aimed for my side. I dropped down and dove forward letting my shoulder smash heavily into his inner thigh. I lifted slightly and spun in time to watch Troy land on his face in the grass.

He was back on his feet in a flash. Spitting out grass. He surged forward, both blades flashing. The only way I could keep up with his speed was to react to the shifting currents before he moved. Our daggers crashed together with blinding speed. He was trying to force me back and break my defense with raw strength and speed. Taking a risk, I ducked a swing and smashed my fist into his nose with a satisfying crack. He staggered back, his arms flailing wide. A well-placed kick to his chest sent him sprawling and rolling across the field.

I settled myself into a comfortable stance. I knew it wasn’t enough to keep him down.

Blood poured from his nose and it was possible I cracked a few of his ribs. He growled.

“Bitch!”

He jumped straight up, his wings flashing out. I felt magic building and I dove to the side as a burst of light seared the ground where I was a moment ago. I rolled, came to my feet, and threw one of my daggers aiming for the main tendon of his right wing. It struck true and Troy crashed heavily to the ground.

I rushed him as he floundered sending a knee into his head. This flipped him up onto his knees. I spun myself around him, wrapped my arm around his neck, and held my remaining dagger to his throat.

“Yield, Troy.”

He struggled, but I held him firm. Baal stepped forward. Troy hissed. I tightened my arms and legs around him squeezing the air from him.

“Yield, Troy.”

“I yield.”

I immediately let him go, then offered my hand to pull him up. He slapped it away as Baal announced to the crowd that I had won. The cheering was deafening.

“Well fought, Troy.” I held out my hand. “We may never be best of friends, but I don’t believe we need to be enemies.”

“You think this is over? It’s not over.”

I shook my head and moved towards the edge of the circle. I felt him moving towards my back even as the crowd shouted a warning. I spun, blocked his dagger, and crashed my elbow into his jaw. He dropped heavily to the ground.

He spat out blood and a tooth and glared up at me.

“I offered you my hand in friendship and you try to stab me in the back. If you do not honor my win, if you try to harm me or my friends, I will come for you and the next time we face each other in a fight that is not training, I won’t hold back like I did today.”

The students began chanting. “Katarina! Katarina!”

I walked over to the weapons table and deposited my remaining dagger before stepping over into a group hug with Pete, Emma, and Monique.

Pete grinned. “That was awesome, Kat! Drinks are on me tonight!”

“Drinks are free.”

“Then drinks for everyone!”

The crowd cheered and tried to pull me away.

“I’ll be right back.”

I walked over to Michael and Lucifer. “I can’t thank you both enough. You have honored me with your training.”

“And you honored us with your skills.” Michael hugged me.

Lucifer hugged me as well. “You were breathtaking to watch. I won another bet. Baal didn’t think you were going to win. I left another gift in your room. I can see having you around is going to be good for my ego.”

“Is it another dress?”

He nodded.

“If I don’t wear it, who do you lose to?”

“Per the rules of the bet, I’m not allowed to sway you in any way.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “You’re a sneaky devil. You know that, right?”

“I’ve been called worse, but coming from you, it sounds like a compliment.”

“Thank you.”

“I would like to continue training you.”

“As would I.” Michael added.

“You need to rejoin the others for training. The group classes will help you build loyal friends. We can use your independent study time.”

“I would enjoy that. Thank you both.”

Michael spun me around. “Go enjoy your victory.”

I spun back to them, curtseyed, and sprinted over to my friends. We walked from the training area arm in arm.

“I’ll meet you all in the dining hall in thirty minutes. I’m going to change and clean up first.”

Pete laughed. “Just like a girl.”

“That’s me!”

I twirled and headed off to my room.

Hanging up on a hook was another dress and another matching dagger to my first one was on the desk. I took in the dress. It was a work of art. Dark blue sequins, a plunging neckline, spaghetti straps, and short. Very short.

“Sorry, Lucifer. You’ll lose this bet. There would be just too much skin showing with that dress.”

I washed up and put on the black dress from before. I strapped on both daggers because I wasn’t certain if Troy might try stabbing me in the back again.

I stepped from my room to come face to face with Lucifer and Azriel. Lucifer grinned and Azriel huffed.

“I win, Azriel.”

She stomped her foot. “That blue dress is worth a fortune! How could Katarina not wear it?”

“Maybe for the right person and the right circumstances, she will one day, but that is not who she is.”

“You do realize I’m standing right here. You bet Azriel I wouldn’t wear the dress?”

Azriel took my arm in hers and lifted her chin towards a laughing Lucifer. “It’s clear to me I need to spend more time with Katarina. Do you know she is the smartest student I have?”

“I have no doubt.” He waved and sifted away.

Being this close to Azriel who had appeared upset by my transformation put me slightly on edge.

“Would you like to get Lucifer back?” I whispered.

She grinned. “I think I’m starting to like you, Katarina. Enjoy your dinner. We’ll talk more in a soon. If you want to trick Lucifer, you need to plan something well in advance.”

I entered the dining hall to raucous cheering. Emma and Monique pulled me to where Pete and a large group were drinking beer.

Pete had to talk loudly over the crowd. “What can we get you to drink?”

“White wine.”

Pete raised an eyebrow. “Of course. Someone bring the girl of the hour a white wine!”

With all the movement and people crowding around me, I still felt the shift of air behind me. I turned to come face to face with someone I had never seen before. I would have remembered for before me stood the most handsome man I had ever seen. His eyes seemed to claw their way into my very soul. He held up a glass of white wine.

“For you, Katarina.”

Never had my name sounded so sensual. The way he said it sent a chill down my spine and heat rushed to my face. I broke my eyes from his to take him in. He must have been six foot three. His eyes reminded me of the color of my hair. Mahogany with hints of gold flecks. Dark hair, black, so shiny that it gave off a slightly bluish tint like the feathers of a raven fell to his broad shoulders. His suit jacket barely contained his muscles and trim waist suggesting he didn’t have a single ounce of fat on him.

“Thank you.” I whispered and took the wine from his strong hand.

We stood just staring at each other until Emma nudged me.

“Lucius. I didn’t know you were back from Gomothon. Have you two been properly introduced?”

“Not officially. I arrived earlier today, but then heard about the challenge. I had a chance to see it. Brilliant fight.”

“Lucius Casteele meet Katarina Bellamore. Katarina, this is Lucius, Brorath’s Nephilim son.”

I felt my eyes widen. Brorath was considered the second most powerful demon and he had five Nephilim sons. Lucius was the youngest, but the five Nephilim were considered the strongest fighting team the worlds have ever known. His last name triggered a memory and I gave a steely-eyed look at Emma.

“Casteele?”

Emma winked at me. “Just thinking ahead.”

My mouth opened at the implication. Emma had tossed out Casteele as a possible last name for me.

Turning my focus back to Lucius, I gazed into his captivating eyes. “I’ve read much about you and your brothers. It is an honor meeting you.”

“The honor is all mine, Katarina.”

Damn it. He said my name again as sexily as the first time.

“How exactly do you two know each other?”

“Emma was one of the healers when my brothers and I gave a demonstration for the fighting skills class. I got a scratch and she healed me.”

“It was not a scratch. You had a sword run clean through your side.”

His gaze never left mine during the entire conversation. Thankfully, Pete spotted I had my drink and shouted out.

“To the most amazing and best fighter to look at, I mean watch. Katarina Bellamore.”

I turned away and lifted my glass, connecting it with dozens of others. The brief reprieve was helpful to get my crashing emotions in check. Emma had told me I would start seeing men differently. I wasn’t expecting this so soon, or with such force.

When I turned around, I knew Lucius was already gone, but I looked for him anyways. Monique came to my side.

“Was that Lucius that was just here?”

“Apparently so.”

“You’re looking a little glassy-eyed.”

“It’s been a long day.”

Pizza and chicken wings were being delivered to the tables. I was anxious for the food as it allowed me a few precious moments to not have to talk so much. As the evening unfolded, I felt eyes on me several times. Only once when I turned around did I spot Lucius. He was sitting off in the corner of the dining hall. My mind was half on the event and half on how I responded to Lucius all evening.

***

The next morning, I spent extra time trying to decide what to wear. I kept waffling back and forth. Normally, I would choose what I wanted but today I was considering what I wore and how it might affect others. It was all because of Lucius. In the end, I decided upon a green dress of similar design to the black one Lucifer had given me. I strapped both daggers to my thighs and double-checked myself in the mirror. I bounced off my heels a few times and spun, smiling at my beautiful reflection.

“What’s gotten into you, Kat?” I spoke to myself.

Looking away, then back again, I added a quick twist to some hair strands and left for breakfast. I found Emma, Pete, and Monique sitting in our usual spot, but there was now a fourth. Lucius. The only spot left to sit was next to him so that he would be immediately to my left and our legs would likely touch.

I looked back over my shoulder towards the hallway, gritted my teeth to give myself some resolve, and sat down with the others.

Monique twirled her hair in her fingers as she leaned towards Lucius. Her actions made me upset and I had to check myself. Monique was my friend.

Emma pushed the menu over to me. “You look beautiful as always, Kat.”

“Kat?” Lucius’ voice resonated deeply within me.

Pete took a bite of his eggs. “It’s what we call Katarina.”

“So… what did I miss?” I tried to steer things away from me.

Monique kept her gaze on Lucius. “Lucius was just telling us he will be staying on here for a while. He was asked to train the advanced group in fighting skills class and the Council is getting updates from his trip to Gomothon.”

I reached over and stole a tater tot from Pete’s plate.

“Hey! Get your own, thief.”

I giggled and glanced furtively at Lucius. “What’s happening on Gomothon?”

“Skirmishes. We’ve had some people killed and we haven’t been able to identify the attackers.”

“What is your role?”

“Lucifer relies on my brothers and me to investigate situations like these. My brothers decided I was expendable and needed to be sent here. While I’m training students, I’m also evaluating everyone to see who might be able to lend support should anything materialize.”

“As in war?”

Monique waved a hand. “I’m sure Lucius isn’t interested in telling us all of this. How long do you expect to be here?”

“I’m not certain.” He glanced my way. “I guess that depends on if there is anything holding me here.”

Michael walked up to our table. “I’m glad I caught you all. Emma. Katarina. You are both needed in the Council chambers.” He turned, then turned back. “Lucius. You might find this interesting.”

Pete mouthed the words ‘what’?

I shrugged.

The three of us followed Michael straight into the Council chambers. We arrived mid-sentence.

“…violated the accords!”

A man stood with his chin up. “That was never the intent!”

The doors closed behind us. A man and woman turned away from the Council to face us. As they scanned our group, their faces stopped on me. I recognized the woman. Micah.

“Katarina…” Her voice cracked with emotion.

The man’s eyes were full of tears. “Our daughter…”

Holy. Crap. Micah moved towards me, but Baal shouted out.

“Stop!”

The man spoke without letting his gaze leave me. “She is our daughter. She was taken from us! Stolen! You can’t keep us from her!”

Emma grabbed hold of my arm. I didn’t even realize I was shaking.

Michael moved forward and patted the man on his shoulder. “Tarick. It is not the Council’s position to keep you from your child, but we must understand the story. We need to confirm Katarina is not a weapon to be used against us. If you were not the ones that sealed her, we must find out who did. She is strong, but we don’t know if she is a true hybrid or not. We suspect she might be.”

Tarick dropped his head and turned towards the Council. “We knew it was wrong and against the accords, but Micah and I fell in love.”

A few gasps sounded in the chambers.

“We kept our relationship hidden and fought the budding love that was within us. It tore at us to be apart from one another. For years we struggled with mere glances and brief touches. Then, one day, we couldn’t stop. We came together because we knew we would die without each other. We didn’t even believe we could conceive. Even though the accords forbade it, no hybrid has ever been born even though we all know demons and angels have mated. When… when Micah realized she was pregnant, we didn’t know what to do. As Micah neared full term, we realized she was dying. We feared her life was in danger and the life of our child’s was as well. Knowing that we risked everything, we sought the help of the Dyadelous for the second time as we had gone to them once before hoping their magic could prevent a child from forming allowing Micah and me to be together.”

More gasps echoed through the chamber.

Baal’s eyes stormed with anger. “They are nothing but savages.”

Lucius stepped forward. “I can guarantee you they aren’t the uneducated beasts our people have considered them to be. My brothers and I have fought them. They are cunning and magically gifted.”

Lucifer looked down upon his only son. “Continue, Tarick.”

“They took Micah and put her to sleep. I was not allowed to attend their healing ceremony. They cut Micah open, took our baby, then left Micah to bleed out. If it weren’t for her healing abilities, she would have perished. I found her crawling through the Salash Forest.”

Lucifer stood and came down to stand before him. “How do you know the baby survived?”

“Once Micah was safe, I hunted them for what they did to her. I found the Dyadelous in their caves, Katarina, a baby boy at the time, was covered in blood and runes. I fought until their bodies piled high, but the Dyadelous escaped through the gateway to Earth.”

“Why are you coming forward now?”

“We searched the worlds for our child. It was not until word came to us about a young man that was magically sealed. His transformation blocked. Then we heard of the transformation and that Katarina didn’t look like an angel or demon. We knew. We had to come. We have no idea how to remove the seals. We just want her to be a part of our family. We can’t hide any longer.”

“This proves Katarina is a hybrid. She must be destroyed!”

“Abomination!”

“Enough!” Michael shouted. “Have we become so paranoid we would start killing our own kind? We formed the accord to not interbreed out of ignorance. We did not know back then that it would be nearly impossible to conceive a hybrid and until now, none have. However, we know for certain that angels and demons seek each other out for companionship. Should we deny them their chance at finding love on the slightest chance a hybrid might be born? I think not, and I suspect there may be more to Katarina’s birth than an angel and demon mating. I suspect the Dyadelous took advantage of Micah and Tarick helping them conceive rather than hindering them.”

Lucifer stepped between me and the Council. “Can any one of you suggest Katarina’s character is flawed? That she shows one ounce of malice towards us? That she would try to destroy us?” He waited for a response. “I didn’t think so.” He pulled his dagger and dragged it across his hand and let the blood fall to the floor. “This is my sworn oath. If harm comes to Katarina, my granddaughter, or her parents, I will kill any that had a hand in it.”

Michael drew his dagger and cut his hand. “It is my oath as well.”

Lucifer’s hand still dripped blood when he firmly grasped Michael’s. “So be it, brother. We will protect what is ours.”

Michael pulled me forward and into Micah’s arms. She wept over me until my shoulder was soaked with her tears. Tarick grabbed us both and held us firmly together. A family for the first time.

“Mother? Father?”

“Forever our beloved child.”

After many minutes, Michael pulled me into a hug. “I always knew there was something special about you.”

Lucifer hugged me next. “I see my wife when I look into your eyes.”

Lucifer stepped back. “We need to cast the binding of belonging. The Council members all do this for their children and grandchildren.”

Micah and Tarick stepped to the side. Tears still fell from their eyes as I was led to the center of the chambers. Michael and Lucifer placed their hands on my exposed arms. Their eyes all but glowing with intensity.

Flames flickered around Lucifer’s hands. Michael poured his light energy into me. My body began glowing with the massive magical influx. I gasped and screamed as the third seal shattered.

I would have collapsed if Lucifer and Michael not been holding me.

Emma rushed to support me from behind. “I saw it. The third seal broke. Demonic magic for the first seal. Angelic for the second. Combined for the third. What could the fourth be?”

Lucius spoke. “I think I might be able to posit a theory. If Tarick’s story is true, which I have no doubt, then the final seal would be Dyadelous magic. They have been looking for a weapon for eons. Katarina is that weapon. Only they can unlock her full power and those that know the Dyadelous understand their magical mind control power is beyond us. They have to have Katarina to unlock her and if they have her, they can control her.”

My strength was quickly returning. “I would never hurt any of you.”

“You wouldn’t have a choice. I believe the Dyadelous are rising. If Tarick and Micah have heard about Katarina, then they know she is alive as well. I just returned from Gomothon. There is evidence to suggest the attacks on our people are coming from the Dyadelous.”

“Can I take Katarina to the assessment team?”

Michael took control. “Yes, Emma. Take Katarina for assessment and report back to the Council when that is completed. Micah and Tarick. Go with Katarina. I’m sure you all have some catching up to do. Katarina?”

“Yes, grandpa?” I said with a shy smile.

He chuckled. “That is going to take some getting used to. It makes me feel old.”

Micah hugged Michael. “You are old, father.”

He sighed. “Katarina. You are excused from your studies for the day, but I expect you back in classes tomorrow morning. I can’t have my…”

Lucifer interrupted. “Our granddaughter not living up to our namesakes.”

Azriel stood and paced. “What about communications? Once word of any of this leaks, it will spread. The accords were broken, and we must be able to address that. We can’t hide Katarina’s heritage.”

“Agreed. We will discuss this first before we strategize what our next steps are.”

***

We left the Council chambers together. Micah, my mother, kept her distance but kept looking at me. I paused and took her arm and my father’s into mine.

“This is going to be a big adjustment for all of us.” I shared with a shaky whisper.

Mother’s eyes brimmed with tears. “You’re not upset with us?”

“After hearing your story, how could I be? I was kidnapped and hidden from you. You searched for me. I’m just saddened that I didn’t grow up knowing you.”

“You have to stop making me cry, Kat.” Emma dabbed her tears. “We’re here. You know the drill by now, Kat.”

We entered the room and I held out my arm. The team raised their eyebrows at the two Nephilim standing close to me.

Six vials of blood, all of which failed as expected, and 2,220 pounds of weight later, Emma led us quietly back to my room.

Once we were all inside my room, she announced the results.

“You’re now a 14.8 on the strength scale. You are slighter stronger and faster than the strongest Nephilim ever born, your mother. With one more seal to go, I have no doubt that your final scale will fall somewhere around 150. You are over twice as strong and fast as Troy. I guess you don’t need to worry about him anymore, not that you needed to be stronger. I’ll go give the Council the update. Maybe we could meet for dinner?”

“I would like that.” I hugged Emma as she turned to go. That left me alone with my parents.

They each sat on the bed together. Their hands entwined. I fell to my knees and laid my head in their laps and sobbed.

***

We held each other for close to thirty minutes before we managed to wash our faces and talk. Of course, they wanted to hear my life’s story and I wanted to hear theirs. After several hours, we needed a break from the room and took a walk through the abundantly flowered gardens.

“Troy is the one that bullied you?” Mother asked.

“Yes.”

“I was confused when Emma was talking. You’re not in love with him, are you?”

“No! I can’t believe it was only yesterday, but I fought him in a challenge.”

Father raised his eyebrow. “But he’s third generation and you were…”

“4.3.”

He looked me over. “You don’t seem too damaged. I thought you said the runes block most of the healing magic.”

“It does. I wasn’t injured at all. Maybe a bruised knee. Lucifer and Michael have been training me, and I beat Troy with the skills they helped me learn.” I saw the confusion on their faces. “I have a photographic memory and can learn kinetic movements and skills very quickly. I’m guessing that might have something to do with my hybrid nature or who my genetics have come from.”

Mother nodded. “Michael has a photographic memory. I believe he’s the only angel with that trait.”

Father paused. “Lucifer has the physical learning trait. No other demon has that. I didn’t even inherit it.”

We began walking again.

Mother looked wistfully at me. “You are so beautiful. Not even Azriel can compare.”

“Don’t suggest that to her.”

“Surely, there must be someone in your life.”

“Mother! I’ve only been female for a few weeks.”

“That’s enough time to adjust according to our knowledge of the transformations. There’s no one? Not even a glimmer of a thought?”

They were so easy to talk to I found myself wanting to spill my deepest secrets. “Maybe. It’s likely nothing and he might not want anything to do with me.”

Father grinned. “Let’s see… You’re the most beautiful woman in all the worlds. You are incredibly smart. You are destined to be as powerful as Michael and Lucifer. You’re the first angel demon hybrid ever to be born. You’re a fighter. Your friends adore you. Oh, yes. You’re rich. Hmm. Yes. I can see why no one would be interested in you.”

“You said I’m rich?”

“Out of that list, that’s what you picked up on?”

“If it helps me avoid Mother’s question, then yes.”

Father chuckled. “Your mother and I haven’t lived together, but perhaps now we finally can. We each have estates on Earth, Apearid, and Gomothon. From Earth terms, we are each worth roughly ten billion dollars.”

“Billion. Like a one with ten zeros behind it?”

He nodded.

“Okay. Good to know. I’m set for life eating my favorite one-dollar Mac and Cheese meals. Wow. Sorry, this is a lot to process.”

“I’m sure it is.” Mother replied. “And now back to my question. Who is this mystery man?”

“We only met for the first time yesterday and it seems like my friend Monique is also interested in him.”

“I think it more matters who he is interested in.”

“It’s not like we had a moment… Well, I had a moment. I can’t speak for him.”

“We’re waiting. We have to approve any potential suitors.”

I looked at father like he was crazy when he burst out laughing.

“Okay. I know where you got your humor from.” I waited for them to give up, but they continued to insist. I sighed. “Lucius Casteele.”

Even as I spoke his name, I sensed someone approaching behind us. I spun and drew my daggers far faster than I ever could before before.

“Did someone say my name?” Lucius stood there with a smug smile on his face. He slowly put his hands up. “You’re very fast, Katarina.”

Stop saying my name like you’re caressing it! I slipped my daggers back into their sheaths as warmth crept up into my cheeks.

Lucius tipped his head toward Mother and Father. “Micah. Tarick. Seeing you today brings warmth to the core of my being. I’m graced to be in your presence.”

Coming from anyone else those words would sound manipulative, but not from Lucius. I could feel he meant them.

Father shook Lucius’ hand. “You and your brothers have earned the respect of the entire angelic and demonic races. You are heroes for your steadfast support in keeping us all safe.”

“You honor me well beyond what my actions have merited. I’m sorry to have interrupted your walk. I’m still processing the revelations from this morning and my soul longs for fresh air and tranquil beauty.”

Damn it. He was staring right at me for his last two words. What do I even do with that?

Mother’s fingers grazed mine. I hadn’t known her long, but I knew she was up to something.

“We were about to head down for dinner. You should join us, Lucius.”

“I wouldn’t want to impose.”

“Nonsense. We are meeting Katarina’s friends for dinner. We have to make sure she has surrounded herself with worthy people.”

“Mother!”

Mother giggled. “It would be no imposition.”

“Then I would be delighted. May I walk with you to the dining hall?”

“Perhaps you can escort Katarina. Tarick and I would like to stop by our rooms first.”

I’m sure my mother saw my eyes widen at her last statement. She was setting me up.

“Katarina will be safe with me. I will let nothing happen to her.”

“That’s assuring. We only just got her back and we don’t intend on losing her. We will see you both at dinner, say, in an hour?”

She did not just do that.

“That will give us time to walk the entire garden. I can use the additional clean air after being in the Council chambers all day.”

Mother and father hugged me tight. “See you soon, sweetheart.”

We watched them depart and I clasped my hands together like a nervous schoolgirl.

Lucius held out his arm. “Shall we, my lady?”

I sighed and slipped my arm in his. His arms were so solid they were like bands of steel. What do I even say to him?

“Emma gave the Council the update. How are you feeling? The breaking of the third seal appeared to be painful.”

“It was. It’s hard to explain. This seal felt like it shattered or tore open. Not like the others. I think Michael and Lucifer’s power combined to break the seal, but I don’t think it was intended to by broken that way. Thank you for asking.”

“How do you know when I’m behind you?”

“I’m still learning. Slight changes in the wind. Magical forces I can feel. If I’m focusing, I can almost see an image.”

“Remarkable.”

“This isn’t something others can learn?”

“Lucifer is the only person I know that can do that. I suspect he had an idea who you were and perhaps that is why he took an interest in you. Demonstrating you have that skill could almost guarantee him you were descended from him.”

I barely noticed the beautiful flowers as we chatted and walked by them. My heart was fluttering.

“Have you met Monique before?” Okay. Yes, it was a sneaky way to see what his thoughts were.

“Once. The last time I was at the Academy. She is from a very influential family.”

“She’s a good friend.”

“I’m not interested in her other than friendship.”

“I wasn’t trying to… Please be careful with her. I’ve never seen her so… I’m sorry. I… I shouldn’t be… I’m going to shut up now.”

Lucius’ laugh was adorable. It was the perfect balance of amusement without feeling judgmental. How does he do that?

“You are precious, Katarina. Like this flower.”

He paused and held out a perfect pink rose. Where did he get that? Did he snatch it from the garden without me even noticing his movement?

I bit my lower lip as I looked into his eyes. “Why am I like this flower?”

“This flower has beauty beyond compare. It can withstand the fiercest of wind and rainstorms if it comes from the side. Yet, it is tender and fragile and can fall apart if the winds shift.”

He just did that. He turned me into a flower and read me like a book and now my heart was mush. Pure mush like morning oatmeal.

I turned away from him, grabbed his arm and started walking again. “We should be careful. I wouldn’t want Mrs. Casteele to hear any rumors about you walking unchaperoned with a hybrid in the Academy grounds.”

“There isn’t a Mrs. Casteele. Never has been. Not even close.”

I paused and turned to him. “Now I know you’re lying. I mean look at you. You are incredibly handsome and there isn’t a woman within a hundred miles that isn’t catching that fresh woodsy scent of yours and fainting with desire.”

He cocked his head to the side. “Are you fainting with desire?”

“You’re… You’re infuriating. You know what I mean. You must know what I mean. Right? Guys like you. Hero guys. Respected guys. Kind guys. They don’t just walk around without getting snapped up.”

“So many kind words. It is almost as if you like me.”

I poked him in the chest. Of course he was like steel there too. “Answer the question.”

“I wasn’t lying, am not lying. I have been waiting my entire life for something my brothers said I would never find.”

“And how long has your life been, exactly?”

“Two hundred and thirteen years.”

“Wait. What?”

“Nephilim don’t age. Neither will you. Azriel will be upset for many millennia she has been displaced.”

“You think I’m the one you’ve been waiting for? Me?”

“It’s a little early to tell, but no red flags yet.”

“Just wait until you get to know me. Red flags everywhere!”

“I’m looking forward to getting to know you to find out.”

He held out the flower and I took it. Our fingers brushed and I felt warmth fill me. I slipped my arm in his.

“I think we should head to dinner.”

“We have a few minutes yet.”

He paused at an overlook. I had never been here before. The sun was setting with a spectacular array of colors.

“It can’t compare to you, but it is extremely beautiful.”

I was in so much trouble.

***

We stopped off at my room so I could put the flower in a glass of water. Lucius stood in the doorway until I told him he could come inside. When he did, he left the door mostly open. When had men lost their ability to be so honorable and respectful towards women? Lucius didn’t explain his actions but was silently accommodating and making sure I felt comfortable.

His fingers reached out to touch the dark blue sequined dress hanging from the hook. “You wear this?”

I blushed. “It was a gift from Lucifer, but more as a bet between him and Azriel. I thought it would show too much skin, so I refused to wear it.”

“Lucifer still won the bet, didn’t he?”

“He did. He knew it would be tempting for me to wear but didn’t believe I would wear it because it was too sexy.”

“I’m trying hard not to imagine you in it.” Now he was blushing. “It’s kind of you to think of your friend, Monique and leave the flower here. You have a caring heart.”

“I’m still half demon. I can get aggressive and angry.”

“But not towards your friends or others that are in need of mercy. I heard why you challenged Troy. Yes, he was a bully in your life for a long time, but he also tried to rape Monique, slandered you and Emma, and hit Pete. How you maintained your composure when you fought him was beyond anything I would have been able to do. Troy is a dangerous and strong fighter, yet you took him down with nary a scratch on you. I’ve never seen anyone fight like you.”

“You better watch out. You’re going to run out of nice things to say to me soon and then all that charm will be lost to me.”

His smile was disarming. “You find me charming?”

“I’m not sure I exactly said it like that.”

“It was insinuated.”

“I’ll just have to be more careful in how I structure my sentences as to not leave you too many opportunities to interpret my meaning.”

“Shall we? If we delay much longer, I will likely have both your mother and father hunting me.”

***

We found Mother, Father, Pete, Monique, and Emma waiting for us. Monique’s eyes lit up when Lucius joined the group.

“Hope you weren’t waiting long.”

Mother hugged me. “We just got here.”

We found a table inside the fancy restaurant portion of the dining hall. Lucius waited until Monique sat down before making sure he sat apart from her. My heart broke to see Monique’s flicker of disappointment. To make things easier on her, I sat across the table from Lucius.

The waiter came and we all ordered before the conversation began in earnest.

Monique complained. “When were you going to tell us? We didn’t see you at lunch.”

“Tell you what, precisely?”

“Tell us that your parents are Micah and Tarick.”

“I only found out this morning. Emma had a theory that Micah might be my mother, but nothing was certain until they showed up. We spent the day together getting to know one another.”

“You’re like royalty.”

“No, I’m not.”

“You’re the only child of the only children of Michael and Lucifer.”

I reached for Mother’s hand. “I’m just grateful to have found my parents.”

Pete looked a little sheepish. “Your third seal is broken?”

I nodded.

“And?”

I shrugged. “I’m a little stronger and faster, but I still don’t have wings or magic I can tap into.”

“Spill it. What’s your new scale number?” He replied.

“It’s higher than it was. I don’t want a stupid scale to measure me.”

Pete started to insist when Lucius stopped him.

“Let her be, Pete. Katarina has had a lot to absorb today.”

Pete frowned. “And how would you know? You don’t know anything about Kat.”

“You’re right, Pete. I know very little about Katarina. I was invited to the Council meeting and was there when Emma provided the third phase assessment results. It was highly emotional for everyone in the room.”

Pete began to argue. He felt a little like a protective brother.

“Katarina, these are your friends. Are you all right with them understanding more of the risks surrounding you?” Lucius added.

“Yes. Of course. I don’t want to withhold anything.”

“Like your scale number?”

I wanted to slug Pete, but he made a point. “14.8.”

“No way. That’s almost as high as a Nephilim.”

“Higher. Micah had the all-time highest second-generation scale score at 14.7 until now.” Emma always provided accuracy.

Monique reached across the table to touch Lucius’ hand. “Go on. Tell us.”

Lucius pulled his hand away, but he did it politely and gently. He sought my eyes for permission. I gave him a slight nod. He explained how I was kidnapped by the Dyadelous, sealed, and possibly could be used as a weapon.

“Tell me about the Dyadelous. You’ve fought them?”

“I have. We believe the Dyadelous were likely indigenous people on Gomothon, however, they were so reclusive that the demonic race didn’t even know they existed for a thousand years. Even today, most of us think of them as folklore. The theory suggests that after we found the gateways, the Dyadelous discovered their way through to the other worlds including Earth. Although they are humanoid, their features vary widely as do their magical traits. You might recognize them more if I called them Fae, Fairyfolk, Aos Si, Sirens, and even Vampires.”

“Those stories are true?”

“The stories were most likely founded by people that encountered Dyadelous. They don’t like Earth because it is so heavily populated, and their features make them stand out. Living here would be difficult for them. This may be why you were left and not kept by them.”

Pete scratched the top of his head. “And you think the Dyadelous are after Kat?”

“I just returned from Gomothon. It seems the increase of their activity correlates with the breaking of Katarina’s seals.”

Emma sipped her wine slowly. “If the Dyadelous were the ones to seal Kat, it is possible they could have added a form of notification within the runic spells.”

The conversation was heading in a direction that wasn’t good so I tried to steer it elsewhere. “Let’s focus on the good that came out of the day and not on theories and speculation. I have a family and that is worth celebrating.”

***

It was late when everyone went their own directions. Mother and Father lingered with me for a while.

Mother took my arm in hers as we walked towards their room. “Lucius seems taken with you. He’s by far the best of his brothers and he’s handsome. Possibly the most handsome of all the demons, maybe even the angels as well. He’s well respected, and very powerful.”

“I don’t even know what to say to that. He’s almost two hundred years older than I am.”

“That’s not a concern when you are both practically immortal.”

“Enough about me and trying to set me up. What is going to happen with the two of you?”

“Word came from the Council that the interbreeding accord is being reviewed and studied. We have been given their blessing to officially become a mated pair. Hence we now share a single room.”

“I can’t imagine hiding your relationship for such a long time. I suppose that means I will be having sisters soon?”

Father shook his head. “No. I never thought when we first went to the Dyadelous that they could have made it so we could conceive instead of doing what we asked of them. Even if we still could conceive another child, I can’t risk your mother’s health again. She nearly died giving birth to you. I can’t and won’t lose her.”

We paused when we came to their room and hugged each other tightly. It felt comforting and slightly awkward at the same time. I watched as they grasped each other’s hands and entered their room. Tonight, they were a couple for the first time in years. It was a love story for the ages.

I spent a moment staring at the door, but not noticing it. The love they shared was tangible. It made the longing inside me swell.

***

I stepped into my closet and perused my ever-growing collection of clothing. I had been a regular visitor to the store, and they seemed to understand I was learning what my personal style and tastes were. I normally had several items to take back and would usually leave with more than I brought.

I woke in a bubbly mood and looked forward to seeing my parents, training for two hours with Michael or Lucifer, then another three hours of fighting skills class. Knowing I would be in training clothing all afternoon, I selected a flowered dress to go with my happy mood.

I changed, adjusted my hair making a point to look up how to style it rather than simply having it loose or in a ponytail, and headed down to breakfast. Mother and Father were not around, but I surmised I wouldn’t see them until the evening. If I had been separated for so long, I doubt I would leave a bed so quickly. Lucius’ image popped into my head and I stubbornly tried to ignore it. I couldn’t.

Monique intercepted me before the dining hall. “What’s going on with you and Lucius?”

“I don’t believe there is anything going on between us. I barely know him.”

“In that case, I’m claiming my territory. He’s mine.”

“Wouldn’t you think he might have something to say about that?”

“You just need to stay away from him.”

“I’m not seeking him out, Monique.”

“You came into the dining hall together last night.”

I sighed. “I was walking with my parents in the garden and Lucius was there. Since my parents needed to stop by their room before dinner, they asked if Lucius would escort me. I think they were just being protective.”

“Tell me you’re not interested in him, Kat.” She stood with her brows furrowed and a hand on her hip.

“I won’t lie to you, Monique. I find Lucius attractive. Who wouldn’t? He seems like a very thoughtful and respectful person and I find that interesting and intriguing. I don’t know what else to say to you. I don’t even know myself yet let alone what I’m looking for in a mate.”

“Who said anything about a mate? I just want a few hours with him in bed.”

“That’s…” I bit my tongue to avoid saying something I would regret. “Your friendship is important to me, Monique.”

“Well, if you want to keep it then back off of Lucius.”

I growled and the demon side of me flared to life. “If we’re really friends, then nothing will come between that friendship. Maybe I’m a little old fashioned, but I disagree with the concept of people wantonly throwing themselves into bed with one another. I’m not deliberately seeking Lucius out, but I will not avoid him while you play your games. You’re both adults and can do what you want. I don’t want to see either of you hurt.”

“If you don’t know or want him, why do you care?”

I tossed my arms up and headed into the dining hall. Emma and Pete waved me over as Monique stayed by the entrance.

“That looked to be a heated exchange between the two of you. Something upsetting either of you?” Emma slid a plate of toast my way knowing I would likely eat it.

Taking a piece of toast and smothering it with delectable strawberry jam, I bit into it before replying. “She told me to stay away from Lucius.”

“Did she? And that made you angry?” There was a hint of mischief in her sparkling eyes.

“What made me angry is that she was only interested in sleeping with him.”

Pete’s eyes moved between me and Emma.

“I wouldn’t worry about it, Kat. Lucius has never been known to sleep with anyone. According to his brothers, who seem to have far less scruples, Lucius is pining for something that doesn’t exist.”

My hearing had definitely improved, and I could hear Monique with Lucius just outside the dining hall. I pushed the plate of toast away, having a sudden urge to retch at her fawning words.

“How do I tune that out?”

Pete finished his meal. “You can hear them?”

“Yes. Is there a way to selectively reduce my hearing?”

“You seem agitated this morning. Are you…?” Pete blushed unable to finish his line of thought.

My voice raised slightly more than I wanted to have it in such a public place. “I’m not having my period, Pete!”

Pete missed my obvious embarrassment and dove right in. “Then what’s making you irritable?”

“Monique, you’re a lovely person. I appreciate our friendship too much to accommodate your desires.”

“It’s because of Kat, isn’t it?”

“No, Monique.” I felt moisture form on the edges of my eyes with that simple statement. Why did that hurt? “I have made a vow to myself to not be with anyone but my mate. I don’t want to diminish what my heart can give by handing pieces of it away. I want to give everything of myself to the one person that makes me complete. Can you understand that?”

“And you think that person is Kat? Is that why you seem so interested in her?”

“It isn’t my intention to hurt you, Monique, but I will stand firm in and keep my personal life private.”

“Deny you have feelings for Kat.”

“Monique…” Lucius pulled Monique away as a heavy weight settled into my chest.

“Ear buds.”

“I’m sorry. What did you say, Pete?”

“Ear buds will help you not listen to things you don’t want to hear.”

“Good to know. I’ll see you both in class.”

I left out the back door to the dining hall not wanting to come anywhere near Monique and Lucius. I burst outside and wiped some rebellious tears that had fallen of their own accord. I needed to focus, but now I didn’t know what I should focus on. I walked taking in deep full breaths of fresh air to clear my head.

I stopped when the sweet scent of roses came to me. Next to the pathway was a pink rose bush. I reached out to touch one of the older blooms. It fell apart in my fingers, the silky petals drifting off with the breeze.

Monique stepped slowly behind me. I could see her without looking. My senses even more acute than ever before.

“Kat?”

I turned and hugged Monique as tears fell freely down my cheeks. “I’m so sorry, Monique. I should have never gotten angry with you. I should have never judged you.”

“You feel something for Lucius, don’t you?”

“I shouldn’t, but something is stirring within me. It’s probably these damn female hormones addling my brain. Listen, Monique. Your friendship means more to me than any guy.”

“Lucius isn’t just any guy, Kat. He explained his position to me. When I realized he has been searching for his mate for nearly two hundred years, I knew I couldn’t compete with that. I was caught up with all his glory and just wanted a taste. I saw you as competition for that savory, fleeting, moment I wanted to take for myself and I’m sorry. I think you both want that same things for your lives. That may or not be with each other, but I will not interfere if it is. You mean too much to me, Kat. I hope it all works out and if it does, I’ll be the first one to stand by your side and cheer you on.”

I sniffed and pulled back slightly. “We’re good?”

She pulled me back into a hug. “Friends forever. Did you really tell Pete you weren’t having your period?”

“Kind of funny now that I look back at it.”

Monique laughed and latched her arm in mine. “Let’s go. We don’t want to be late for class.”

***

Morning classes went smoothly and after lunch I rushed to my room to change into training clothes. On my bed was a magnificent outfit. Black leather pants with transparent gold mesh fabric that would expose tantalizing views of my thighs. Black knee-high boots trimmed in gold. A black and gold leather top that would hug my curves as if it were painted on with gold mesh that would expose my stomach and small but tantalizing glimpse of my generous cleavage. A black and gold cape with a hood and black and gold full-length gloves. A simple note was left on top of the ensemble.

We have missed so much of your life, having never had a chance to bestow upon you the gifts we so desired to. You symbolize the future of all angels and demons. You represent the heritage and strength of Michael and Lucifer. You exemplify, us, Micah and Tarick. Wear this for your training and whenever you fight. Be proud of who you are, as we are proud of you.

These would look so much better than my stretchy jeans. I stripped and put the outfit on, strapped my daggers to my thighs, and checked myself out in the mirror. When the hood was down, the cloak looked like I was wearing a skirt at the back, leaving the front open for maneuverability. I was warm, but not too hot. It was strong but flexible.

I headed out to the gardens to find Lucifer waiting for me. I anticipated him to berate me for being a minute late, but as he turned his head, his jaw slackened, and his eyes dilated.

“You look like a warrior princess, Katarina.”

“My parents want me to represent them and you when I train and fight. If it’s too much, I’ll go change.”

“By no means. These are the traditional fighting clothes of the demonic Nephilim, however I see your mother’s touches with the golden fabric used by the angels. If I had never seen you fight, I would question the legitimacy of the outfit, but you look inspiring and you honor me by wearing them.”

“What will you have of me today?”

“The material used in your outfit will protect you well. It is a form of armor. The fabric is extremely hard to cut or tear. Your cloak can be used effectively as a shield against objects like knives and arrows. We will practice integrating your cloak into your defenses.”

He held up the blindfold. “Let’s first see if your senses have also improved.”

***

By the end of our training, it was obvious my senses had vastly improved. I could fight freely without my sight and my reactions were far quicker than ever before.

Lucifer walked me over to the training grounds as he wanted to watch the class today. My new fighting clothes drew much attention and a few whistles from the guys. Pete simply snuck up to my side and whispered a single word.

“Wow.”

Baal blew his whistle to get everyone’s attention. We circled around and he waved his hand behind him. Lucius stepped forward and I swear my feet became rooted in place. His suit that he had worn before had done little to hide his physique, but the fighting outfit he was wearing left little to the imagination. Fashioned much like my own outfit, the black and silver material form fitted to his body in a way that took my breath away. His eyes locked on mine and I swear he was undressing me. Not in a creepy way but rather a sensual way. I watched his lips twitch up in silent admiration that brought a blush to my cheeks.

“Today, Lucius Casteele will be evaluating you. We believe several of you are ready for the advanced group. He and another advanced group student, Henley Masters, will fight each of you, two against one. Weapons will be randomly chosen. Good luck.” Baal reached into a bowl and called one of the students forward. He then chose from three bowls to announce the weapons for Lucius, Henley, and the student.

I sat back, trying to keep myself warmed up as I watched the fights. One by one, the word ‘Fail’ shouted out and I understood why. Lucius was incredible and I knew he was holding himself back. He wasn’t even sifting. Henley was skilled and used his wings to his advantage to back away from the fight before propelling himself forward at great speed to attack.

When they called Troy up, he put an air of confidence on that made everyone expect him to do well. To his credit, he put up a good fight and Baal conferred with Lucius a few minutes before announcing that Troy had passed.

“Katarina Bellamore. You will have a sword. Lucius will have daggers. Henley will fight with a staff.”

It was an interesting combination of weapons. Henley would need to get close to attack. Grabbing a sword from the table, I stepped into the large ring. After my fight with Troy, the students all expected a show and were all standing for this fight.

I positioned myself and felt confident I didn’t need to close my eyes to settle myself, except that one look at Lucius’ grin and I knew I was in trouble as my heart fluttered.

The whistle sounded and a millisecond later one of Lucius’ daggers flew towards my chest. I stayed where I was and snatched the dagger by the hilt out of the air with my left hand. I smiled, bowed towards Lucius, flipped the dagger over in my hand and put up my sword.

Henley flew in behind me and even though he was outside of my peripheral vision I could see him as plain as day. I rolled back and under his swinging staff, swiped his legs, and came up behind him. Lucius, for the first time in any of the fights, sifted behind me. I used Lucifer’s technique of rolling my cloak around to entangle Lucius’ hand as he struck.

“Slick move.” He whispered as he caught my cloak and pulled me into his dagger. I caught his wrist with my hand and pressed him back a step. Meanwhile, Henley had got back to his feet and swung his staff at my side.

“Sorry about this.” I spun and pulled Lucius into the staff swing. I heard the smack against his side. He merely grunted as if it didn’t hurt him at all. He pulled on my cloak again, but I spun away, unclasping it. Henley flew up then dove down on me. I batted his staff away from me with my sword, actually cutting the staff in half. His momentum carried him forward. I grabbed his collar, fell backwards, and kicked him over my head.

Lucius sifted just as I rolled to my feet, but he managed to toss my cloak over my head. Blinded, but not really, he lunged. He was incredibly fast. His dagger blade grazed my side as I stepped towards him, locking my arm over his and slipping my leg behind his. He fell back and pulled me on top of him, then rolled me over onto my back. I felt his hips press down against mine and I fought to control a moan that wanted to escape my lips. The cloak fell away from my head.

“Got you.”

Yeah. He had me. I wish it were under different circumstances. “Not today.” My eyes shifted to my sword which hovered a hairsbreadth away from his throat.

Lucius put his arm up even though his body still pressed me down into the grass. “I yield.”

I grinned at him as he lifted himself off me. Henley, using his half-staff tried to bash me over the head. I dropped my dagger and caught the staff with one hand. It was a powerful swing, but my added strength over his stopped it dead. I yanked the staff from his grip, jumped back to my feet, and forced him to fly to retreat. Reaching down I picked up Lucius’ dagger and tossed it casually in my hand.

“You are unarmed, Henley. Yield or I will take out your wing.”

Henley bowed in mid-flight. “I saw how you did that to Troy. I have enough bruises from today. I yield.”

“Katarina Bellamore. Passed.”

The crowd cheered.

Lucius handed me my cloak as he passed me. His eyes danced and I could see the golden flecks in his irises turn his eyes an intense copper color. Our fingers touched and all the air was taken from me. And sure enough, he noticed. His mouth slid into a knowing smile and I was left there yearning for him to stop and take me in his arms.

I slipped on my cloak, put my weapons on the table, and moved to the back of the awestruck crowd. Lucifer sat down next to me.

“I do believe your power of sensing magic and motion are even better than mine. You fought well. I’m proud of you.”

“Lucius was holding back.”

“Perhaps a little. I don’t think he wanted to hurt you, but the outcome would have been the same. At this rate, you will be one of the best fighters ever and you don’t have your wings or magic yet.” He patted me on my shoulder.

***

No one else passed the test. Pete and Monique had done very well but were not able to make either opponent yield. Emma was a good fighter, but she would be best at ranged support and healing.

Class was over and Henley walked up to me.

“I was wondering if you would like to get a bite to eat together.”

A low growl resonated behind Henley. Lucius stood looking like he was ready to pounce and his eyes were as hard as steel. Henley swallowed hard and tipped his head. “Another time perhaps.”

“Thanks for asking, Henley.”

Henley made a beeline for the exit and before I knew it, Lucius was standing before me. He was inches away forcing me to look up. He had me right where he wanted me. I wanted to lean into him. I almost whispered, “I yield.” But I held it back. I knew I shouldn’t turn my head up however the next thing I knew our gazes met and I wondered what witty, or charming thing I should say.

I was therefore a little shocked when all that came out was, “You growled at Henley.”

“Did I?”

I had to remind myself to breathe. “And you threw a dagger at my heart.”

“Your clothing would have stopped the blade. I couldn’t give anyone reason to suggest I treated you differently than the other students.”

“I don’t recall you throwing your dagger at anyone else’s heart. You want to get rid of me?”

He raised his hand towards my neck. I let out a slight involuntary gasp and berated myself when he pulled back.

“Not at all. I find myself wanting to know more about you.”

I had to take a moment to reassess. I recalled my conversation with Monique and while she appeared to give me permission to dally with Lucius, I wanted to make certain what was in my own heart, for the man standing before me was not one anyone could simply dally with. I got the impression that it was forever or nothing.

I took a step away, surprised I had the strength to do so. This seemed to startle Lucius, but there was something subtle in his changed expression. Was it respect? I’m possibly the only woman in three worlds that didn’t throw myself at him.

“Likewise.”

I turned to leave but paused to look back at him over my shoulder. I couldn’t help but smile.

“See you soon, Katarina.”

***

It was during lunch that Pete, Emma, and Monique politely bowed out of dinner allowing my parents and me to have some time alone together, so it was with some surprise I found my parents sitting with Lucius and his father, Brorath. None of them had noticed me yet, but I certainly noted how casual they were with each other, like old friends that could be separated for years, but within minutes of seeing each other again fall into a smooth banter as if no time had ever been lost. Mother and Father sat touching one another, their hands clasped together.

I suddenly felt out of place as if I didn’t belong. That was until Mother’s eyes lit up when she spotted me. I was drawn to her beaming smile and only paused briefly to smooth the fabric of my red dress before making my way to their private table in a sectioned off room.

Everyone stood as I neared the table. Mother and Father quickly embraced me in a hug and kiss on my cheek. Mother’s hands cradled my face with a loving and delicate touch. Turning from her, Brorath extended his hand and when I took his in mine, he wrapped his other hand over encapsulating mine with warmth and strength.

That left Lucius. He was dressed in a fine black suit with a tie and one of those matching handkerchiefs that poked out of the breast pocket. The darkness of the finely tapered jacket gave Lucius a dangerously sinful appeal. He was standing stiffly, perhaps because his father was near him, but as my smile widened of its own accord, he relaxed perceptibly. Awkwardness immediately hit me. A handshake felt too cold. A hug too friendly. As I stood in silence wondering what to do, his strong fingers wrapped themselves tenderly around my right hand and pulling slightly raising the back of my fingers to his lips.

It was at this moment that I realized gallantry was not dead as I was filled with the feeling of being honored, like the most treasured jewel in the world. My immediate inclination was to tip my head and curtsey as I felt like I was greeting royalty. Instead, I did my best to not have my next words shatter the spell of the moment.

Lucius.” Was the only word I could muster. I’m certain I could have said many more words, but his softly spoken name from my lips was infused with deep-felt emotion. This is what his presence did to me, and it wasn’t at all unpleasant.

Father waved his hand towards the table. “Shall we sit?”

There was a strange energy in the group akin to someone that might have been caught sneaking the last piece of cake from the refrigerator in the middle of the night. Like a perfect gentleman, Lucius pulled the chair at the head of the table for me. It wasn’t until Mother and I sat that the men took their seats.

I wanted and wholeheartedly intended to begin the conversation with “How was your day?” but in the ensuing silence, I looked at each of them and finally blurted out, “What’s going on?”

It was Mother that I figured would come to the rescue and enlighten me, but she stayed resolutely quiet. Lucius was the one that spoke up.

“I have spoken to Michael and Lucifer, then with your parents. I have asked their permission to court you, Katarina.”

I was stunned and suddenly felt very awake as if I had just dunked my head into the icy waters of a glacial river. “Okay… Before I jump to any conclusions that might force me to say something that could prove culturally unacceptable, what does that even mean? I know the meaning of the term, but there are many variations of what courting is throughout history, and then there is the whole angelic and demonic side of things I am not clear about.”

Mother, bless her, decided to clear the air. “Since you already told us you were attracted to Lucius, it seemed appropriate.”

A wave of embarrassment washed over me, and I was certain had there been any ripe tomatoes on the table, my face would have blended in perfectly. The term blushing bride popped into my head, but then the reality of the situation crashed upon me like a tsunami, and not the little one-foot wave kind.

Brorath, smiled and reached across the table to pat the top of my hand. “I have been trying to mate my sons off for centuries. Alas, they, except for Lucius, all seem to enjoy women for very short durations. I was therefore quite pleased when I heard of our son’s selection. You will be a great addition to our family.”

Panic set in like I was a gazelle coming for a drink of water when I knew there were hungry lions waiting in the bushes all around me. I wanted to get up and flee. I squashed the desire and found my eyes straying to Lucius, who, for the first time ever, appeared nervous and a touch fearful. My heart went out to him so I decided I should try to establish a common understanding amongst us all.

“Just so that we are all on the same page, the same playing field, with the same rules… Are you talking about courtship from the 1700s, 1800s, 1900s, or 2000s?”

Lucius found his voice. “Does the century make a difference.”

Oh, hell yes. “Quick history lesson, which you are all old enough to probably be fully aware of because you were living back then. In the 1700s, parents got together and decided for their children who they were going to marry. In the 1800s, children started having a say in the matter. By the 1900s, the whole concept was rather a free for all. And forget the 2000s with Tinder. Please… I’m feeling unsure of what this means.”

Lucius took great pains to be gentle and careful in his choice of words. “I have never met anyone like you, Katarina. For the first time in my life, I see something in you I have been looking for my entire life. Your beauty is beyond compare. You have a keen wit and a pure heart. Everything about you stirs my heart.”

As he spoke, I felt my heart beating faster. In my mind, I rushed ahead of him, imagining Lucius getting down on one knee holding a ring and asking me to marry him. As every word he uttered sent chills down my spine, I had to think about the final outcome. What if he did ask me to marry him? What would I say? So, it was with some disappointment that he concluded his words.

“I am asking permission from your family for us to spend time together, so that we may know better what the future may have in store for us.”

“So, no forced marriage with me not having any say?”

“I would never do that to you, Katarina.”

“This would be exclusive? No hook ups with anyone else while we get to know each other?”

Lucius straightened. “I don’t do hook ups.”

“What do we call this if anyone asks?”

“A courtship with the intent to become familiar with each other.”

“That’s a mouthful. Can’t I just say you’re my boyfriend?” Even as I said it, it sounded strange coming from my lips, lips that were decidedly male a few weeks ago, but I was oddly accepting of it considering I felt nothing for all the pretty women running around the Academy halls.

“That would be acceptable.”

Father finally got his words in. “And no kissing.”

I started tapping my fingers on the table as I mulled over my response to that as one look at Lucius and I wasn’t positive I could promise anything of the kind. I had almost kissed him several times already. “Until when, exactly? Because I still have a very human perspective on time and I’m not sure I can hold out ten, twenty, or a hundred years.”

When no one said anything, I felt forced to continue. “Is this a deal breaker? Have you even looked at Lucius?” At my last words that had slipped out of my mouth as if I had turret’s I hid my mouth with my hand hoping the action would stop me from saying anything more.

The table burst out with laughter as Lucius slipped his hand into mine under the table. Of course, this made me jump, so I attempted to cover that up with a hearty, “Let’s order dinner… and maybe some wine.”

***

I was proud of myself that I didn’t put my foot in my mouth for the remaining time we all had together. After hugging Mother and Father and being surprised with a lifted off my feet bear hug from Brorath, Lucius offered to walk me to my room via the gardens.

“I’m sorry that was unsettling for you, Katarina. My intent was purely honorable, and I wanted to make my desire known to your family in case they had other plans for you.”

I giggled nervously. “As if these types of arrangements are made every day.”

“Oh, but they are. I truly have waited my life to find someone like you and I would not wish another suitor to steal my chance. You will be highly sought after.”

“I’m not a prized heifer that goes for the highest bid. I intend to marry by human terms and mate by angelic and demonic terms to the person I love and no one else. I’m humbled that you of all people to be interested in me.”

Lucius stopped and faced me. His presence and closeness caused every fiber of my being to be both tense with passion and relaxed feeling his protectiveness.

“Why me of all people?”

I studied his face. There was concern and compassion hidden there. He feared my rejection. Could I even comprehend what it would be like to wait hundreds of years to find my perfect mate, thinking you may have found them only to have them dash your hopes? I bit my lower lip, knowing what I said next might be my own undoing, the death of any resolve I might have to keep some distance.

“I find you the most interesting and wondrous person I have ever met. You have more honor in your little finger than the rest of humanity combined. You are a dark-haired Adonis that weakens my knees whenever I am around you. You could have any woman in three worlds, and you want to get to know me. An orphan until a few days ago. A weakling that was harassed and bullied all their life. A nobody.”

The look he gave me was unlike any I have ever seen. There was no condemnation, only deep admiration, respect, and humility in the face of such carefully chosen words. The smile that spread across his face was not mirthful, or suggesting that he had trapped me, but more joy that I found him worthy.

“You will never be a nobody, Katarina.” My name was spoken with a delicateness that put a flame to my heart. “You are an orphan no more and no one in their right mind would ever try to bully you again, but if they did, not only would they content with your own wrath and fighting skills, which are inspiring, but with me and by association, my entire family. That you would deem me worthy even to associate with, is beyond my comprehension, for there is no man alive that wouldn’t give you everything for a moment of your time, the very tiniest fraction of your interest, or the chance to look into your fathomless, unforgettable eyes and touch eternity.”

Who even talks like this anymore?

“Breathe, Katarina.”

I did and with the onrush of oxygen hitting my brain I started speaking again to break the spell he held on me. “You definitely have a way with words that unfortunately I don’t share. My eloquence usually ends with me saying something that gets me into trouble, or, at the very least is quite embarrassing.”

“Tomorrow…”

I was babbling now, unable to control myself around him. “Tomorrow we run off to Vegas? Tomorrow we fly to Gomothon to introduce me to your mother?”

“I have such a desire to do something right now that would keep you from interrupting.”

I could imagine many things, including a simple and appreciated action that would break rule number one Father gave me and likely putting me in timeout for the rest of my immortal life.

“Tomorrow…” I repeated for him letting him know he could continue his previous train of thought when I really wanted him to continue his most recent train of thought.

“Tomorrow, in skills training, I can’t show any favoritism towards you.”

After all the buildup, that was a bit of a letdown. “I understand and I wouldn’t want you to, considering I beat you and all.” I smiled prettily and batted my eyes at him.

“Are you nervous?”

“Very much so. I’m so sorry.”

He led me to a bench as we sat down. “Forget about everything that has happened today.”

“Even the good parts like you wanting to date me with the intention of learning if I am compatible with you?”

“Especially that.”

“Without that, my day is downright depressing in comparison. In case you haven’t figured it out yet, and it’s not like it’s a secret since Mother blurted it out for all to hear, I find you…” I had to choose the right words here. “to be someone I very much want to get to know better.”

“Good. The feeling is very mutual. Ask me any question?”

I could think of hundreds of questions. Did you meet Abraham Lincoln? Were you there on the grassy knoll? Did you invest in Bitcoin? Who was your first love? Nope, not that one. I didn’t want to know. The image of Lucius with any other woman left me in a cold, dark, dank place. I needed something neutral. Something that would be a little more kinetic for all the nervous energy building within me.

“Are you ticklish?”

“You can ask anything, and you want to know if I’m ticklish?” I nodded, biting my lower lip again. That was becoming a habit. “I’m not ticklish.”

“Seriously?”

He was about to confirm it when I launched my full-on attack. My fingers found purchase just under his ribs and I wiggled them like the mad woman I was. He sat there smugly, put his arms over his head and smiled. That was until he retaliated. He grabbed me around my waist and began tickling my ribs. I squealed and tried to pull away, but he kept at it, pulling me into his arms, and tossing me up onto his shoulders. I was laughing so hard that I was almost ready to let go of the wine I had drank at dinner.

When he gently put me back down on the ground, he kept his arm around my waist. I was breathing hard and flushed and we had another moment where I swear he was going to kiss me.

“Why is it, Katarina, that everything you do brings me such joy?”

And then I went and messed it up again. “You have a disease that muddles your brain into confusing pain receptors for happy sensations?”

Lucius laughed. “Then I should spread the disease so everyone’s pain could become joyous except that I think I would not want to share you with others considering you appear to be the key to the disease functioning. May I take you to dinner tomorrow?”

“I would like that very much.”

The moment passed and if there had been a pillow nearby, I probably would have screamed into it. Thankfully, our conversation smoothed as he walked me to my door, and I was loathed to see him leave after his kissed my hand again.

***

The morning of the second day of my courtship, felt like every other morning. I was still confused and somewhat frustrated that I felt like I had more freedom before the artificially imposed rules. By rules, the one that didn’t exist before but now did was the no kissing rule. This was particularly irksome, for my body desired it every moment I was near Lucius and now he was also invading my dreams.

I pondered my quick descent into feminine womanhood as I stared into the mirror. There were many moments that I had all but forgotten my old self. I still felt like me inside, but my transformed body had helped me become more than I ever was before. I loved what I saw and was unafraid of what others thought. It helped immensely that Pete and my friends supported everything I did. I was enamored with being female, allowing my emotions to run freer than before and my body was so sensual that I found myself thinking about love far more often.

I found Pete, Monique, and Emma sitting with my parents for breakfast. My biggest fear was for Monique even though we had worked things out and she had given me her blessing with Lucius, I knew deep down she was probably holding some resentment. At some point, she would discover Lucius’ and my slightly more official status and seeing my parents sitting with my friends didn’t bode well as Mother seemed more at liberty to share my innermost thoughts in public.

I hugged Mother and Father before sitting down and quietly ordering some breakfast, trying hard to make it look like anything had changed. My attempt at light banter appeared to be faltering as those at the table merely gave me silent, skeptical looks.

“You might as well tell them, sweetheart. It’s not as if this sort of news stays quiet for long.”

I had a moment of reprieve when my eggs and bacon arrived but the silence all but screamed “Spill it!” to me. “Whichever news do you mean, Mother?” It was an obvious deflection on my part, hoping she would catch the hint that I would rather eat grits doused in cod liver oil than try to explain my relationship status with Lucius. Couldn’t I just flag him on my social media profile and be done with it knowing all two of my followers wouldn’t even notice?

I believe Mother had lived in the shadows for too long hiding her relationship to Father. The freedom they had gained by bringing the truth to light was like a clarion call. All truths about relationships need to be exposed. Which is why I believe she replied in a nonchalant way while dangling a piece of honey buttered toast from her fingers, “About your courtship.”

My eyes darted first to my best friend, Pete, as I was expecting him to look aghast. And yet, there wasn’t a hint of dismay. He merely nodded thoughtfully. “I like Lucius. I think you two would make an excellent couple.”

Emma’s hand slipped into Pete’s as she grinned at him first before speaking to me. “This is so perfect! We can double-date and Pete can learn all kinds of gentlemanly talents from Lucius.”

The person I had feared the most, pushed her chair back and walked slowly around the table. I had a sudden urge to defend myself but decided if Monique was going to kill me with a butter knife, I sort of deserved it. I was nonetheless startled when she bent down, kissed my cheek, and wrapped her arms around me in a tight embrace.

“This is such great news, Kat. I’m happy for you both. I hope it all works out.”

“You’re not angry?”

“I told you Lucius explained his feelings to me, and it is impossible not to see the connection you two have when you look at each other. Besides, he has four brothers you can introduce me to. I really am excited for you.”

I shifted my gaze from one person to the next, each one nodding their approval. I stood and hugged Monique. “You are all such good friends. I hope you don’t mind, but Lucius and I have a dinner date tonight.”

Pete nodded. “Yup. I knew that already.”

Emma appeared to also be in the loop. “Me too.” She said with a shrug. “Now, on to important discussions. Monday evening, we will be having the mid-term gala. The store here doesn’t have any clothing that is very elegant for us ladies, and it is a formal event. I suggest we make this a girl’s weekend and take a road trip into the city to do a little shopping.”

The idea thrilled me and filled me with dread at the same time. What excited me was the idea of stepping back into the world and mingling with humans again. After all, I spent most of my life thinking I was one of them. Would I see the world around me differently than before? What was daunting was that I had no money to buy anything formal and the idea of spending two days away from Lucius made me want to scream. I must have looked ashen as Mother gripped my hand firmly.

“Perhaps I might make a suggestion, Emma?”

“Absolutely.”

“When Tarick and I learned about Katarina we both converged on the Academy rather suddenly. For now, we want to be close to Katarina and will be staying here for a while, but I could use some things from my home in Apearid. Why don’t the four of us travel to my home for a night, then, if you don’t mind me tagging along, I wouldn’t mind finding a dress back here in the city. We can leave tomorrow morning and be back by Sunday evening.”

“But…”

“It would be an excellent idea.” My Father blurted out. “I too need to travel to my home to collect some things I need. Katarina, I have heard that Lucius needs to depart for a few days as well, so a trip like this will help take your mind off him.”

“He’s leaving?” My heart sank and I sat down heavily into my chair next to Mother.

“And don’t worry about money, Katarina.” Father added. “Your mother and I will take care of everything.”

“But…” Normally I had no problems talking but I couldn’t pull a coherent thought together. I didn’t want to be Daddy’s little rich girl that never did anything to earn her way even though I had no money whatsoever. The Academy was this pleasant oasis where everything was taken care of and paid for under the premise that one day, I would be a contributing member of society and donating funds back to the Academy. What bothered me more than this was that Lucius was leaving and I couldn’t even hear anything because my heart was pounding in my chest so loudly. I sat in a complete daze until someone spoke my name.

“Katarina? Are you good with the plan?”

I was too numb to do anything but nod. I just came to the realization that I was in love with Lucius.

***

The day dragged. I couldn’t remember anything from the morning classes, and barely anything from my lunch with my parents. I had to focus for my training with Michael since he wanted to work with me on hand to hand techniques. I had numerous bruises by the time he demonstrated various throws, releases, kicks, punches, blocks, and takedowns.

When I first saw Lucius for fighting skills class, I almost burst into tears. The time wasn’t right to talk to him as he led our class. I could see the apology in his eyes when he looked at me. It tore at me. I could tell he didn’t want to leave.

I received additional bruises in training. Troy even landed a few hits on me much to his delight. I was simply not paying attention. When class ended, I waited for the others to leave so I could speak with Lucius.

When the coast was clear, I rushed over to him and wrapped my arms around him. His strong arms held me against him. “You’re leaving.” My voice shook.

“I’m sorry, Katarina. The Council met first thing this morning. They have asked me to travel to Gomothon once again. I’ll be back in a few days. Tuesday most likely.”

I squeezed him all the tighter. He lifted my chin and wiped my tears.

“I get this reaction sometimes when I tell a woman I won’t sleep with them.”

I knew he was hurting. His eyes were red-rimmed, but he purposely turned the situation into something humorous to ease both our hearts. I couldn’t blame him, but I also couldn’t let him have all the fun.

“How often is sometimes?”

“It’s more frequent that they stomp their foot and slap me.”

I playfully pushed him away from me. “I can do that if you prefer.”

“No thanks. You hit really hard. I think I like the tears better. It’s more endearing.”

I took several deep breaths. “I don’t want you to go. I was just getting used to have you around. What about our date tonight and the gala?”

He took a half step towards me. “I’ll be leaving in the morning so we can still have our dinner tonight. I’m sorry about the gala. I really wanted to go with you. It would have been a perfect public proclamation that we are together.”

I poked him in the chest. “Dinner better be good to make up for all the pain and suffering you are causing me.”

“And here I thought you would want some time away.”

“No.” I whispered. “For the first time in my life, I feel like I have been blessed. First with my parents, then my friends, and now with you.”

“For the first time in my life I don’t want to leave. You better scoot along. I have some preparations to do. I’ll come by your room in an hour.”

“I might even get cleaned up.”

***

Knowing this was our first official date and Lucius would be leaving for a few days, I put in the extra effort to look good for him. I pulled some of my hair from my temples back around my head and bound them together with a little hidden clasp. The effect reminded me of something the elves would do in the Lord of the Rings.

My revelation about being in love with Lucius was driving my decisions. I knew he liked me, but I didn’t know if he loved me and yet I saw the pain in his eyes knowing he would be gone a few days. I needed him to remember me and want to come back, so I chose a slightly more revealing dress. It was still conservative and a far cry from the heart-stopping blue dress that still hung from the wall hook in my bedroom, but the hem of this dress was higher than my other ones. The white silk gave me an innocent and vulnerable look.

When the knock sounded at my door, I ran to it and threw it open. Lucius stood there and offered the perfect response to my efforts.

“Wow! You look stunning.”

It was then that I finally took him in with all his glory. He was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Not that I was complaining as the t-shirt revealed every muscle of his amazing physique.

“And you look… casual. Did I miss something within the invitation? Should I change?”

“I’m perfectly good with what you’re wearing. I’ve not actually seen that much…” He coughed. “I decided to change things up a little. Shall we?”

He led me out into the gardens to a very secluded spot that overlooked the valley towards the west. There was a blanket, a basket, and a bouquet of flowers.

“Nice touch with the flowers, by the way.”

“Of course, they will never compare to you, but I hoped they would be a reminder of me while I am gone.”

Unfortunately, that little reminder made me sad.

“I would rather you were here, but the sentiment is much appreciated.”

Lucius reached out and brushed a few stray hairs from my eyes. His jaw tightened as he dropped his hand and pulled me to the blanket.

“Let’s not think about tomorrow, Katarina.”

I sat down, carefully tucking my legs under me to not show too much of my thighs. My heart was heavy, but I didn’t want Lucius to see me as a fragile damsel in distress by repeating words we both knew existed in our hearts about being apart.

“What rare and special delicacies have you brought for dinner?”

Lucius made a big show of slowly opening the basket, leaning down, and inhaling deeply from it. “Mmmm”, he whispered, then pulled out a white Tupperware bowl wrapped in towels. He scooted closer to me and handed me a fork before pulling off the lid.

“Mac and cheese!” I beamed a smile at him. “This was always one of my favorites growing up. It’s the perfect comfort food. How did you know?”

“I spoke to Pete. He has a wealth of information about you.”

I didn’t wait, but stabbed into the bowl, scooped up a big mouthful, and stuffed it into my mouth. Cheesy deliciousness, mixed with a healthy dose of chemicals that would likely keep the Titanic from corroding on the bottom of the ocean, warmed my stomach. I groaned and smiled. A single bite turned my melancholy into giddiness.

“I know I shouldn’t have such low standards for food, especially after eating here for the past weeks, but this is so delicious!”

Lucius reached over with his finger and dabbed the corner of my mouth before sticking into his own. It was such an intimate touch and reaction from him. It was all I could do to not shove the mac and cheese aside and tackle him.

“You taste wonderful, Katarina.”

He knew the layers of suggestiveness those four words could bring and yes, my mind went to several.

“How is it you know just what to do and say to make me want to kiss you? Have you been practicing these lines and actions for centuries?”

“I could ask you the same, Katarina. The way you have tied back a portion of your hair makes me want to touch it. The way you smiled and bit into the mac and cheese with such glee makes me question if I have ever been happier than this moment with you. The way your eyes dance with the light of the coming sunset and your flawless skin glows, makes me know without a doubt there is nothing more beautiful in the entire universe. You make me feel unworthy and that no man should touch you for fear of marring your perfection. You are my muse and your very existence destroys the darkness within me. You ask me how I know what to do to make you want to kiss me, when from the moment I first saw you across the dining hall, it was the only thing I wanted to do. If I am doing anything, it is only a hint of what you do to me.”

His words stunned me. “Lucius.” His name came out of my in a breathless whisper.

“Do you know what you do to me when you speak my name like that? You make me feel like I am the only one in all the worlds that matters to you. I would fight my way through a thousand men to stand by your side. I dream of you saying my name and wake in the middle of the night fighting for breath because you are not next to me.”

Lucius. What will happen if I kiss you? For if I do, my heart will no longer belong to me to control. Father…”

Lucius set the bowl aside and took my fork from my hand. His hand cupped my cheek and I leaned into his touch, my eyes closing. His lips touched mine and fire raced through me. He started to pull away, but I wrapped my arms around his neck and held our kiss. It was glorious and everything and more than I could have ever imagined. With that single kiss, I knew I was his forever.

As we pulled apart, I opened my eyes to see his almost completely golden in color. They were filled with longing, passion, and… love. I rolled towards him as he laid himself back on the blanket. I dropped my head to his chest, and he wrapped his arm around me.

“That bad, huh?”

I felt the vibrations of Lucius’ chuckle through his chest. “It was beyond anything I could have imagined, Katarina.”

“How badly have I messed up? Is Father going to send me to a convent for breaking some accord?”

“There is no law or rule about kissing, Katarina. I suspect he merely wanted you to be certain that this is what you wanted.”

“I feel different about us now. More at peace. Secure.”

“That is the magical bonding that happens when you kiss your chosen one for the first time. It could be what your father was concerned about.”

“What?” I started to get up, but he held me against him. His laughter spilled from him.

I rolled so I was on top of him and sat up, painfully aware that my dress scooted up my legs as I was straddling his waist. “You were joking.” I reached for the bowl of mac and cheese, grabbed my fork, and ate a bite. “Mmmm. I think I have the same feeling for mac and cheese.”

I took another bite as he grabbed the bowl from my hand, set it aside, and rolled me over onto my back.

“I don’t know if there is a magical bond or anything like soul mates, but I feel it too. I am a slave to my heart and my heart will have none but you.”

I ran my fingers into his hair and pulled him down so I could kiss him. His hand strayed to my hip. When our series of kisses ended, I smiled up at him. “I guess calling you my boyfriend isn’t so farfetched now. As much as I hate to say this as just being near you makes my passions flare like a forest fire, I think it is best to go slowly.”

“Passions like a forest fire? That is quite the visual. I never knew I had that effect on women. I wasn’t feeling anything.”

I rolled us back over so I was straddling him again. I reached for the mac and cheese again and took another bite. “Did I say you did that to me?” He went to grab me, but I gently took hold of his hand and lowered it to my exposed thigh. Placing the bowl away, I laid down on top of him. “I don’t do anything for you?” I purred.

His hand started to move up my thigh and then stopped. “You do. Although not quite a forest fire, maybe more like a sharknado.”

I had to get off him before I lost all control. I grabbed the bowl again and kept eating as I scooted myself over. I pulled down my dress a little more for my own benefit.

“I’m so glad you have will power as I was about to lose mine, Katarina.”

“If the mac and cheese weren’t here, I would be all over you. I can’t believe you know about sharknados. You are a nerdy geek, aren’t you?”

“I like Star Trek and Star Wars, just not Jar Jar Binks.”

“Nobody likes Jar Jar.” I held up the bowl. “Do you want some?”

Lucius nodded and I jumped up. “Then you’ll have to catch me.”

I took two steps, felt the magic in front of me and turned my back on it so I could take another bite. Lucius sifted behind me and pressed himself against my back. I held out the bowl at arm’s length and tried to scoop another forkful as his arms snaked around me. I giggled but was so turned on I almost dropped the bowl. I let myself get pulled back firmly against him.

“I’ll get my share this way.” His lips found my neck right below my ear and he started kissing me.

I moaned softly and turned in his arms. “If you don’t stop kissing me, I won’t be held liable for my actions.”

He sighed and pulled away, but I pressed into him and kissed him one more time.

***

Eventually we managed to get back to the picnic and other food he brought. Hot dogs that he used his fire magic on to roast, and smores, but those turned out to be quite messy as his fire magic was rather less than subtle. We stayed up late and it was after midnight when we finally separated, said goodnight, and our goodbyes.

The next morning I had set my alarm early so that I could pack a couple items, run by the store and pick out a sleeping outfit that wasn’t as sexy as what I normally wore, and be at breakfast by nine. When the alarm went off, I rolled over and groaned. Lucius had left already, and I wouldn’t see him for several days.

I got up and stood before the bathroom mirror. I let my eyes linger on my reflection, tracing the fine swell of my breasts, my thin waist, and my flat stomach. While I had fully accepted who I was, my emotional attachment to Lucius was like the icing on the cake. Earlier yesterday I was confronted with the thought I was in love with him. Last night left no me with no doubts and with that came the completion of my internal transformation. To love Lucius meant I had to completely abandon who I was before, and it was all too easy.

I brought my fingers to my lips, still feeling the lingering fire of our kisses. What had aided my transformation had been my friends who steadfastly let me become all that my physical changes demanded of me. I was so grateful for them because in the deepest part of me I knew this was who I was supposed to be, a young woman deeply in love. A young woman that desired to be feminine, yet strong.

I showered, quickly dried my hair, and changed into a flowered dress. I packed a pair of jeans and a blouse for the shopping day, grabbed my toiletries, strapped on my daggers, and headed to the store. I found a pair of pink flannel pajamas and slippers, tossed them into my bag, then went straight to breakfast.

I had so many questions I was already asking them before I sat down at the table. “Do we take a bus, or a spaceship? Do I need identification? Should we bring food and water? What’s the weather like? Will I get jetlag? What does it feel like to go through an interdimensional portal? Do I need sunscreen?”

When Mother and the others stayed quiet, I was forced to ask one more question. “What?”

Mother patted the seat next to her. “How was your date last night?”

“Fantastic!”

“Perhaps you would like to elaborate?”

“We had a picnic, talked, ate awesome food, kissed, walked, then said goodnight and goodbye.” I intentionally squeezed the kissing into the middle of the sandwich of words. I quickly rambled on to not give any of them a chance to ponder anything I spoke. “So, when do we leave?”

“I thought your father told you no kissing.”

“Uhm… erm… I thought that was a metaphor?”

Mother raised one eyebrow. “You know what kissing leads to, Katarina?”

“Hopefully more dates, more kisses, marriage, mating, interbreeding, and populating the universe with baby Luciuses?”

“And you believe he is your chosen one? No doubts? No hesitation?”

I must have had a dreamy look on my face because Pete rolled his eyes.

I nodded slowly. “Oh… Yes… Without any doubt. I’m certain he is in love with me too, so that helps a lot.”

Monique grinned. “We want all the details.”

Emma nodded. “Absolutely.”

More deflection was necessary. “Pete!”

Pete jumped a little from being acknowledged. “Yes, Kat?”

“What are you going to do while we steal Emma from you?”

“Sleep. Eat. And I’m told I need to take dancing lessons by Monday night.”

I frowned. “I don’t know how to dance either but since Lucius won’t be there, I guess it won’t matter anyways.”

“You should learn just in case.”

“The closest I ever got to a dance floor was standing against the cinderblock walls of the gymnasium during the high school dance. No one ever asked me to dance.”

Mother looked from me to Monique to Emma. “Ready, girls?”

We all stood, and Emma gave Pete a long kiss. “Be good, Pete.”

I hugged Pete before Mother led us through the Academy and outside. I had never been to this portion of the Academy grounds.

“Oh! That’s so cool. It looks like the movie Stargate.” We stopped before a large purple void that crackled with power between two massive stone pillars.

Mother turned to us. “Emma or Monique? Have you ever been through to Apearid before?”

Emma and Monique shook their heads.

“Here is what to expect. Apearid is very Earthlike and where we are arriving you don’t have to worry about arriving in a blizzard or at night. We need to hold hands going through so that we all wind up at the same place at the far end. Traveling through a portal can be a little disconcerting. Just hang onto each other’s hands, and at the far end, we will walk out right at the estate as I will guide the portal to that location. No identification needed, Katarina. Ready?”

Mother took the lead and grabbed my hand. I grabbed Emma’s and she took hold of Monique’s. Mother stepped into the void and I felt a tug on my arm. Light flashed all around us. It felt like we spun around, paused a second to see the vastness of space, then plunged forward. Light bloomed in front of us and the next thing I knew I took a step and all four of us were through. Looking back, the purple void snapped shut.

“Take a deep breath girls. Welcome to my home, your home, Katarina. Welcome to Apearid.”

“Oh… Wow!” The sky was as blue as a sapphire. There was a large lake with mountains covered in lush, green trees. Twin suns, one almost white, the other red reflected off the water. There were multi-colored flowers that danced in the slight breeze. Green grass appeared perfectly manicured between the estate house and a sandy beach. The house… mansion… its walls were completely open to the outside offering spectacular views from all directions. It had two stories and I could only catch a glimpse of polished wood floors, glass railings up a winding staircase, warm, incredibly comfy looking furniture. It could have been taken right from a magazine cover.

A man came to stand next to Mother. “Welcome home, Micah. Everything has been prepared and we are ready for your stay. This must be Katarina for she is as you described and even more lovely than I imagined.”

He reached out his hand and I took it. “I am Reeve. I’m here to look after your estate.”

Monique sidled up next to me. “Did he say your estate?”

Mother stood with her hands extended. “Your father and I have chosen a home on each planet to give to you so that no matter where you wish to live, you will have a place of your own.”

“This is mine?”

“Yes. Along with a home on the ocean in Costa Rica and one on the River Sestala in Gomothon.”

Reeve tipped his head towards me. “We have made up the master suite for you, Katarina. Your mother and friends will each have their own rooms.”

Mother pulled me into a hug. “Naturally, this will all be a lot for you to get used to.”

“But…”

“No buts. Your father and I do not need six estates between the two of us. Come. Let me show you all around.”

***

While I churned over the implications of suddenly become a multiple homeowner, Mother casually explained the fruits, trees, plants, weather, and how the estate worked with staff. She led us to the rooftop so we could see the grounds and land from a three hundred sixty-degree view. The land of the estate encompassed the entire lake and roughly five hundred miles in all directions. She explained that with only thousands of angels and a land mass greater than that of Earth, people could own far larger properties.

I was still in shock and kept telling Mother that I didn’t need any of this. She finally shushed me over lunch. “It’s yours, Katarina. You don’t need to think about it or even worry about it. It runs itself and is completely self-sustaining. It will always be here if and when you choose to use it.”

After lunch, we all went swimming in the lake. There was a closet full of clothes in my massive bedroom which included swimming clothes. I was worried about lake monsters until Mother shared with me there were no large predatory fish in the lakes of Apearid.

When we had dried and came in to change, Mother suggested I find a long dress to wear. By the time I got back to the main living area, Mother, Emma, and Monique were all sipping Apearid wine and basically planning my life for me.

“Katarina will need to know the mating dances for both angelic and demonic cultures.” Emma was laying on her back on one of the many couches.

Monique sipped her wine. “We can’t forget the gala. She will also need to know the regular dances.”

“I think I can even dig up some Earth country music and do some line dancing.” Mother added. “That should cover the basics. What about the mating ceremony? When should that be?”

“Mother!”

“Ahh! Katarina! We were just speaking about you.”

“Are you all drunk?”

Monique laughed hard. “Nope! Well, maybe just a little.”

Emma giggled. “It’s the Apear… Apearrriiddd… wine. Great stuff. No hangover.”

Reeve entered and handed me a large glass.

“Thank you, Reeve.”

“To our girl’s weekend!” I raised my glass and took a sip. Immediately I felt my body flush with warmth.

***

For the next six hours, I was taught nearly every dance the three of them knew, we even turned up the country music and were doing line dancing like Mother had suggested. We sang, ate the most amazing food, then got changed into our pajamas and chatted late into the night.

I woke the following morning expecting a killer headache, but I had none. I felt totally refreshed. I sat up in bed, surrounded by six feet of mattress all around me. Wooden floors glistened in the morning sunshine. The air was fresh since the room had no windows and the walls were open to the outside. I had asked why no bugs entered the house and Reeve had told me that there were magical barriers preventing such nuisances. He didn’t laugh when I told him it obviously didn’t work because the magic let me in.

I stretched, made my way to the bathroom that was larger than most apartments, and took a long relaxing shower. I grabbed my things and repacked them, before pulling on my jeans and a blouse. Reeve greeted me as I entered the main living area.

“Your mother asked me to give this to you.” He handed me a black, shiny disc. “This is a key to your estate. Activating it when you come through the portal from Earth will bring you here. It can also summon the portal to return you back to Earth.”

I stared down at the disc. “Thank you, Reeve.”

“The others are having breakfast. They are in the dining area.”

I nodded and quickly found everyone eating from a bountiful breakfast. As soon as we finished eating Mother send one of the staff ahead to the Academy with all our belongings then we all gathered together. She called forth the gateway and directed us all to hold hands again. This time, I knew what to expect, but I wasn’t expecting to step out into a city park.

Mother rounded us all up. “All right, girls. Let’s see if we can find some dresses for the gala tomorrow night. Katarina. This will be the first visit back to a human city since your transformation. It might feel a little disconcerting for you. Try not to let the stares of the people bother you too much.”

For a second, I completely forgot what it felt like after my transformation at the Academy where everyone was handsome or beautiful. In the world with other humans, our presence would be highly noticed. “I’ll try.”

“From here, we will walk over to the shops. Let’s try to stay together.”

Once we left the park and came to busier streets with more people, Mother’s warning for me rang true. Four angels drew a lot of attention and even a fender bender accident by the time we arrived at the first store. When we stepped inside, the human customers were suddenly and quickly forgotten by the staff. The demonic side of me caused my anger to roar to life at this and when the manager told one of her staff to attend me, I almost lost it.

The manager approached with her employee in tow. “I’m Jasmine and am the manager of this store. This is Angelique and she will take care of you.”

“I can wait. Please, attend to the other customers that were here before us.”

Some of the frustrated customers seemed to appreciate my thoughts. A couple even pulled out their phones to record me.

“But no!” The manager insisted.

“Then we will find another store. We are not more important than anyone else in this store and they deserve to be treated with the utmost respect. It is not right to give us preferential treatment.”

“You are all angels and they are just humans.”

“Just humans? A month ago, I was just like all of you until my transformation and I can tell you that angels and demons are no better than anyone else. We may have strength, speed, and magic, but that is the only thing that separates the races. We have the same emotions and thoughts as you, and if I were one of your customers right now, I would be outraged to be considered less than us. If you ask me, angels and demons are popularized too much. If you can’t treat your own customers with respect, then I would rather not shop here.”

The manager looked at the phones that were being held up and recording and the clapping humans. “My human customers mean everything to me. If you don’t mind waiting, we will get to you soon.”

Mother slipped her hand into mine. “I’m very proud of you. You turned out so well and I had nothing to do with it.”

“I wish it had been different, but we can’t go back in time. Don’t ever think you don’t influence me or my actions, Mother. I see your goodness in me and your concern for others.”

The customers all slowly drifted our way. They wanted to talk to us and find out who we were. It was good to have conversations with them. Emma even used her healing magic to deal with several ailments. Slowly the customers thinned, and the manager came back to us.

“We can help you now.”

***

We arrived back at the Academy, met up with Pete for dinner, and got to bed early. Monday was back to classes as normal, plus we had the gala in the evening.

Azriel walked purposefully into our classroom and once everyone had quieted down, she began.

“It has come to the Council’s attention that one of our very own has become an overnight sensation.” A big screen television flicked to life and Azriel turned from news channel to news channel. They were all showing clips of me talking to the manager of the store. I put my head in my hands.

“Oh, no, Katarina. Don’t be embarrassed by this. Listen to the announcers.”

“…We don’t know who this goddess is, but this is the first time any angel has stood up for humans.”

She changed the channel. “…There was an extended recording I have watched from one customer that the others didn’t have. It showed two of the angels talking and our angelic protector could have called the other her mother. Having done some research, we believe the second angel is none other than Micah, Michael’s only child. Could it be that this beautiful defender of humans is none other than the Archangel Michael’s granddaughter? Regardless of who she is, she has won the hearts of humans around the world and it isn’t just for her otherworldly beauty. We will continue to perform research and have reached out to the Angelic Academy for comment.”

Azriel turned the television off. “Katarina Bellamore. You are to be commended. The Council believes your actions, however small, have helped bridge the cultural chasm between humans and our races. I’m certain you will hear more soon from the Council.”

***

The day lingered slowly as I kept hoping to see Lucius and I had to remind myself he wasn’t here. Michael mentioned the shopping experience and how proud he was during our training time togethers. I could tell he wanted to talk more about it, but we focused on our training instead. Fighting skills class was cancelled so students could eat then prepare for the gala.

The dress Mother had bought for me was incredibly beautiful. It had a mermaid cut to it, which meant it was body hugging to the lower thighs before flaring out. The bodice was made from sheer mesh that gave the illusion of not being there at all and was covered with rhinestones and iridescent pearls that were fake at my insistence. The bodice had built in bra cups to hold everything in place and had a high-neck halter. A plunging back and intricate beading trickled onto the fitted skirt. The satin fabric was a light peach, almost a faded pink and had a slight train to it.

We quickly realized my ears weren’t pierced, so we found some clip-on earrings that matched the bodice and a fancy hair clip that would tie everything together. I checked online for a hairstyle that pulled the right side of my hair back and I held it there with the fake jeweled clip.

As I entered the grand hall and watched all the people milling about and dancing, I wished for Lucius to be there to see and be with me. Food tables and drinks were aplenty. A live band was playing. The hall was lit to give off a most romantic feel. I spotted Pete and Emma dancing together. That made me smile and poor Pete, he was quite clumsy. I hadn’t seen many others I knew yet.

Moving further in, I paused to look for Mother and Father.

“And here I thought this event would be boring.”

A handsome man with dark hair and brown eyes screamed powerful demon to me. He held a champagne flute as he licked his lips at me.

“I find it hard to believe a woman of your beauty would be standing alone.”

I found his leering and tone quite annoying. “Unfortunately for me, my date couldn’t be here tonight.”

“Well then, he is obviously out of his mind to leave such a pretty young thing to the wolves around here. I will make it my mission tonight to personally protect you from them.”

“What if you are the wolf that I need protection from?” I kept looking around, hoping he would leave on his own.

“Look at me when I speak to you, girl. You will find my company to be most enchanting, especially later when we leave this dreary event together.”

“I think it would be wise for you to find another victim, for I will not be accompanying you anywhere.”

“Do you know who I am?”

“I quite frankly don’t care who you are. Please find someone else to pester with your company, or, better yet, leave entirely. I’m sure no woman here would appreciate your attitude towards them.”

He was fast as he snatched my elbow firmly in a powerful grip. He hissed. “No one speaks to me like that.”

“Maybe that’s your problem. More people should have and possibly a parent should have spanked you more. Now, unhand me before I break your nose. I’m quite adept at it.”

He tried to pull my arm insistently, but I twisted my arm forcing him to release me, then I smashed the palm of my hand into his nose so fast and with such force, he dropped hard to the ground twenty paces from me. Blood dripped heavily from his nose. I was about to turn and leave the area when three other men surrounded me.

“What have you done to our brother?” They shouted angrily. The man on the ground spat, knocked the hand of one of his brothers aside, then stood shakily to his feet.

“Probably something that should have been done a long time ago. He should learn to keep his hands to himself.”

Another one tried to grab me. I took hold of his wrist, pulled him forwards, then smashed my hand into his throat. He immediately crashed to the ground gasping for air.

“Who are you?” The two uninjured men demanded.

I smiled as I knew someone was coming up behind me. I spun into his arms.

Lucius.”

His hand cupped my cheek and he kissed me before his eyes narrowed with anger as he looked at the four men before me.

“To answer your question, brothers, this is Katarina Bellamore, my date for tonight and the woman I am courting.”

I felt my eyes widen. “Your brothers? These lecherous Cretans are your brothers? How is it even possible?”

Lucius looked down at me and smiled. “You look spectacular and yes, these ruffians are the unfortunate consequences of my mother and father. The one with the broken nose is Faustus. The one with a shattered Adam’s apple is Quintus. The other two are Cossus and Secundus.”

Lucius slipped his hand into mine and took a step forward to face the brothers. “You will apologize to Katarina or you will have more than her to deal with even though she is more than capable of putting you all in your place.”

Secundus looked from Lucius to me. “But who is she?”

Michael walked up and hugged me. “You look stunning tonight, Katarina.”

“Thank you, grandpa.”

Michael laughed. “It’s going to take time to get used to that. Lucius. It is good to see you. I expect we will get a full report in the morning?”

“Yes, sir.”

Lucifer sifted to my side. “I was going to ask you to dance, Katarina, but I was enjoying the entertainment. I bet Baal that Faustus would wind up with a broken nose. You don’t disappoint.”

I hugged him. “I hope I don’t tarnish your name too badly.”

“Not at all. I see Lucius is here, so I will have to wait another day to dance with you.”

“I look forward to the chance.”

Lucifer tipped his head. “Boys. Try to learn some manners. I will not have my granddaughter disrespected that way.”

The four brothers stared at me. Secundus scratched his head. “You’re the hybrid we’ve been hearing about?”

Lucius’ arm wrapped around my waist. “And currently a 14.8 with another transformation phase to go. You just tried to take advantage of someone that might be stronger than Lucifer and Michael when her transformation is finished. Now, you were all going to apologize to Katarina.”

Cossus pointed at Lucius. “And you’re with him?”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Seems like the best of the bunch if you ask me.”

Lucius smacked Faustus across the top of the head. “Apologize. Before I lose my temper any more than it already is.”

Faustus dropped to a knee and looked back at his brothers. “Brothers… you were a part of this were you not? Take a knee before the lady.”

They grumbled then all took a knee. Faustus tipped his head down but looked up through his dark bangs. “Lady Katarina. We have wronged you. I should have never tried to take advantage of your incredible beauty and poise. I rightly deserved the broken nose. We apologize and can only hope you will find one of us more worthy than our lowly brother, because you would be wasted on…”

I growled as they all burst into laughing.

Quintus chuckled and continued the apology with a raspy, rough voice as his throat was obviously still in pain. “We seek your forgiveness but thank you for giving us years to laugh about this moment. We humbly apologize for our actions.”

Lucius tucked a stray hair behind my ears. “Is it acceptable, my love?”

I pointed at them wincing on their knees. “They’re really your brothers? Can I think about it?”

Secundus groaned. “Please, my lady.”

I threw up my arms. “Oh, all right. Apology accepted.” They started to get up, but I pointed at them and they dropped back down with heavy sighs. “But if I ever catch you doing what you tried to do to me to anyone else, then I’ll break more than a nose.”

“And an Adam’s apple.” Lucius added and I nodded.

I watched carefully as they slowly got to their feet, then hugged Lucius like they hadn’t seen him for years.

Secundus patted Lucius on his back and checked him over carefully. “Back in one piece, I see. That’s good. We were worried about you.”

Lucius stayed close to me as he replied. “How long are you all here?”

“A week, maybe two.”

“Good. Come to the fighting skills class tomorrow. I can use all your talents.”

“We’ll be there.” Secundus bowed to me. “When you’re tired of Lucius, come find me.”

I rolled my eyes. “That will be… never.”

“A man can only try when confronted with the most beautiful woman in the world. Forgive us, please.” With that the four brothers drifted into the crowd leaving me alone with Lucius.

“Are you sure you’re related to them?”

“They are usually better behaved.” Lucius turned me to face him, placing both hands in mine. “When I first spotted you, I couldn’t tear my eyes away.”

I reached up and straightened the black tie from his tuxedo. “James Bond has nothing on you. A girl could easily fall unconscious from the mere sight of you.”

“That bad, huh? Would you care to dance, Katarina?”

“Oh. Hmmm. Let’s see. Standing around like a wall flower or getting to press myself against you? Let’s dance.”

Lucius led me out to the middle of the dance floor. With a giggle, I curtsied to him, which proved to be no small feat in a mermaid-cut dress.

He slipped one strong hand around my tiny waist and I gasped as he pulled me towards him. We started dancing and I was thrilled for the quick set of lessons I had been given, because without them I would have stumbled all over.

“I’m so thankful you came back in time for this, Lucius.”

“How could I not try to be here when your face haunted me every minute I was away from you?”

A slower song began, and I snuggled myself even further into his arms. I snaked my arms around his neck, inhaled his wonderful scent, and smiled.

***

It was late when Lucius brought me back to my room. After the gala, we walked together, talked, and joked like we had known each other for years, and kissed more than a few times. Even though my body yearned for more, we promised each other to wait until there was not even a hint of doubt and we were properly mated. We both wanted our first time to be something to remember and not spur of the moment because of lost self-control.

The next day, Lucius and I met everyone for breakfast and lunch. Everyone was in a good spirit and had a great time at the gala. For my independent study class, I met up with Lucifer for my fighting training, after lunch.

Lucifer sat on the garden bench as he always did. As I approached him, I heard his voice in my head. “What would you like to learn today, Katarina?”

“Did you just speak into my mind?”

His mouth didn’t move but I heard his words clearly. “I did. Try to reply to me. Focus your thoughts on me, then think your words in your mind.”

Lucifer stood and shook his head. “I didn’t hear anything. Since you can hear me, I have no doubt you will be able to project your thoughts to another person when your magic is released. Archangels and angel Nephilim can influence others with their voices. Archdemons and demonic Nephilim can share thoughts through their minds to other demons and humans. They can’t do this to angels, but the stronger they are, the larger the audience they can speak to at once.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“It isn’t taught because it is only a trait the most powerful of us have. I wanted to test you on this to verify it comes with the magic. What would you like to learn today?”

“I understand in close quarters fighting why we use daggers, staff, and swords, but what about guns? Why do we not use them?”

“We can, but fire and light magic is much more impactful against beings that can heal quickly. There is merit in the discussion as a large caliber bullet to the head would kill, we have traditionally avoided them.”

“I know there is a lot for me to still learn, but I think I should focus more on hand to hand fighting and keeping myself safe from being grabbed or taken down.”

“You are such a fast learner, Katarina, that we can compress years of study into days and you have already learned much. Of course, much of your hand to hand training has been with Michael. You need to learn the right way to fight from me.”

I grinned. “Show me what you got.”

***

Lucius gave me a wink as he started class. His brothers stood together looking quite menacing in their fighting outfits.

“Today, we will learn group fighting. It will be my brothers against myself, Katarina, and Troy. Pay attention to covering for each other. Troy and Katarina, let’s meet apart from my brothers for a few minutes before we begin.”

Troy grumbled, “We’re fighting your brothers? They have fought together for hundreds of years.”

“Do you believe your skills are insufficient, Troy?”

“They are all Nephilim and I am only third generation.”

“Did you not recall the fights you had against Katarina when she was weaker than you?”

Troy cast an angry glance at me.

I tried to put the past with Troy behind me. “We can do this. They are cocky and they haven’t fought us before. You are a strong and talented fighter, Troy.”

Lucius huddled us together. “Katarina, I want you with daggers on the ground with me. I will use a staff. Troy, you are the only angel and can fly. Use that to our advantage with your light magic and bow and arrows. Don’t let them get you on the ground. Are we good?”

I nodded as did Troy. This would be the first time I fought side by side Lucius and I was looking forward to it. Baal came over with the first-level students.

“I see your brothers are here. I thought this might be a good demonstration for the class to watch. What are the rules for your engagement?”

“Troy, Katarina, and I will fight against my four brothers. Each of us will have a small target placed in a critical injury area. A hit to any of those locations with the chosen weapons will trigger an automatic removal from the fight. Regular yielding rules apply. While we will not use full force magic, any hit that stuns anyone longer than three seconds will be considered a removal from the fight.”

Baal organized his students into a large ring while Lucius huddled us together one last time.

“Aside from a small altercation last night at the gala, Katarina is still somewhat of a mystery to my brothers. They know she doesn’t have magic. They will most likely target me first considering Katarina to be the weaker of us. Watch for this and be prepared. Ready?”

We walked into the ring of students and faced off against the famous fighting brothers. Baal blew his whistle to start the fight. Immediately, I felt magic behind me as I spun and thrust out my dagger. Faustus appeared right as I struck taking him completely off guard. He grimaced and fell back a step just as a fireball blasted towards me. I dove to the side and Faustus’ eyes went wide. He turned and opened his wings and turned just as the fireball hit him. It sent him sprawling, but his wings protected him.

As I came to my feet, I found Faustus’ target, which was placed right below his right shoulder blade. I made a mental note of that as I looked back at the others. Lucius had Secundus and Quintus fighting him. Troy hovered in the air, firing blunt-headed arrows into an aggravated Cossus. I could have watched them all day when I felt Faustus sift again to my side. I performed a side kick, which he caught.

“Hey, darlin. Miss me?”

I spun in the air, twisted my foot from his grasp, and kicked him across his head with my other foot. He rolled end over end. I jumped, landed where he was rolling, and stabbed his target with my dagger before he stopped rolling.

“Who are you again? If I met you before, I may have forgotten you already.” I chuckled.

I turned back to the fight. In an amazing move, Cossus sifted into the air and behind Troy, wrapped his arms around him, and watched as they both fell to the ground. By the time they landed, Cossus had hit Troy’s target and taken him out of the fight.

I raced for Lucius, slid under his legs, and smashed my feet into Secundus who was just appearing behind Lucius. Secundus fell on top of me. I used one of Lucifer’s techniques to roll away, pinning Secundus’ arms beneath him. He struggled, but my dagger was to his throat.

Secundus grinned and I felt the sift behind me.

“Lucius!”

With blinding speed, Lucius slashed his staff behind me as Cossus appeared. Cossus was sent rolling.

“Damn. I yield.” Secundus muttered.

I rolled off him and stood back to back with Lucius. Cossus staggered to his feet and I threw a dagger at the target on his chest. It was a perfect throw, but Cossus shielded himself with his wing and bowed to me with a grin.

Quintus stood twenty paces in front of Lucius and taunted him creating a short pause in the fighting. “Little brother. That’s quite the woman you’ve got there. Yield now before someone without magic gets hurt.”

“Don’t listen to him, Lucius.”

Lucius chuckled. “He hasn’t seen you fight like I have. I’m not worried in the least.”

Cossus winked at me then with a slight flick of his eye to Quintus I felt their combined magic. I turned, grabbed Lucius, and pushed us apart as two fireballs smashed together right where we had been.

I growled and rushed Quintus. He swung his sword toward my target on my right shoulder. I let it pass a mere inch away before grabbing his wrist and throwing him to the ground. He dropped his sword and reached for it, but I kicked it out of the way. I heard Lucius fighting Cossus behind us.

Quintus jumped to his feet and I tossed my dagger aside. We circled each other. He swung his fists a few times, which I just leaned back to avoid.

“You can end this now by yielding, Katarina.”

I wasn’t certain what happened behind me, but I felt magic to Quintus’ left side. He swung his fist, I grabbed his wrist, twisted it behind his back just in time to see Lucius appear with his staff ready to swing. Quintus struggled against me as I held his arm painfully back.

Lucius smiled at me as I held Quintus. “Hello, sweetheart.” He reached forward and with a single finger tapped Quintus’ target. Baal sounded the whistle to officially end the fight.

There were no hard feelings and the comradery of the brothers was high. It was clear they liked to tease one another but their love of each other shone through in their actions. All five of them stood together with their arms over their shoulders. Troy had wandered off leaving their gazes to fall on me.

Lucius shook the brothers on either side of him. “What do you think, brothers?”

Faustus laughed. “You were supposed to choose a woman that we could beat and help our fragile egos.”

Cossus elbowed him. “Well fought, Katarina. It is a rare day when any of us are put in our places and I, for one, am grateful it was from someone as spectacularly beautiful… to watch.”

Secundus shrugged. “Perhaps we should make the Casteele five the Casteele six.”

Lucius stepped away from them and gave me a kiss. “I have plans to do just that.”

I blushed which set the brothers laughing. “You will all join us for dinner? I’m looking for embarrassing moments from Lucius’ past. Plus, I can guarantee there will be at least one single angel in attendance.”

Quintus bowed. “Then we will graciously accept. I never pass up an opportunity to belittle our youngest brother and in such fine company as angels, that is the stuff of legends.”

I kissed Lucius. “I’ll see you there. I think I’ll shower and change first.”

“The minutes will feel like years.”

Secundus pulled Lucius away from me. “Oh, brother. You have got it bad.”

***

“…and then Lucius had the gall to hold up the tail end of the donkey and tell the farmer sorry, his sword slipped.”

I was laughing so hard that tears came to my eyes. The brothers didn’t stop with the stories and Lucius took it all in stride. Monique, much to her pleasure, sat between Faustus and Quintus grinning the entire time. Pete and Emma snuggled next to each other as did Mother and Father.

As dinner wound down, Lucius and I slipped away to the garden for a walk.

“I still can’t believe you’re from the same gene pool as your brothers, but they are growing on me.”

“You’ve made a big impression on them. I meant what I said earlier. I have every intention to…”

It was at that precise moment that all hell broke loose. A dozen attackers surrounded us, and I would have drawn my daggers if searing pain hadn’t ripped through me, paralyzing me from any movement. My fourth seal burned but did not break.

Lucius went crazy quickly taking out two attackers but was overwhelmed in moments.

I watched in horror as the pain brought me to my knees. Lucius was stabbed and rendered unconscious. I tried to scream, but darkness wrapped around me.

***

When I woke, I was in a different place. “If you move, you will feel the pain again.”

I appeared to be in a cave made from lavender-colored stone. Torches burned bright white lighting the space well. My hands were bound with metal rope that wouldn’t budge when I tried to break them free. I managed to sit up and see more of my surroundings.

A half-dozen men stood around me. Their features reminded me of elves or vampires with pointed ears and tinged skin color that ranged from a greenish to bluish.

“We have waited centuries for this chance and now you are finally here.”

I shifted my eyes towards the man that spoke. He was aged, but his eyes spoke of immense power. Unlike the others, he was adorned with tattooed scars. He could have been an elder or shaman.

My first concern was for Lucius. “The man I was with, what happened to him?”

“You mean the man that is behind you? He is alive. For now. He is needed yet.”

I twisted and my heart wrenched. Lucius was bound to a metal post. He was beaten and abused. Blood had congealed on his forehead and arm. His eyes met mine, but he couldn’t speak because his mouth was gagged.

In my fury, I rushed the speaker but dropped to my knees in agony from the searing pain.

“I will kill you for what you have done to him.” I hissed through the pain.

“I think not. You are ours. You belong to us. You will fight for us and bring the angels and demons to their knees before us.”

“I would rather die.”

“You won’t have a choice. First, we will unseal you. You will then be fully under my control. Your will completed yielded to me. We will test you. Then, when we know you are all that we hoped you will be, we will breed you. In a few years, we will send you against our enemies.”

“Never!”

“But you will.”

The pain eased and I stood slowly to my feet. I glanced back at Lucius. He seethed in anger and strained against the bindings to no avail.

“Prepare her.”

Four men dragged me kicking and screaming to stand before the shaman. They held me firmly even though they struggled.

“This is going to be very painful, but it is necessary to unlock your full powers.”

He placed his hand on my forehead and his magic began infusing me. I ragged groan ripped from deep within me as I once again fell to my knees. My body shook violently and felt like it was tearing itself apart. Wings erupted from my back. I caught sight of them. They were golden, feathered, but not quite as soft looking as an angel’s. Strength and power flooded me and even through the pain of the shattering fourth seal, I stood to my feet and snapped the metal rope as if it were thin thread. I grabbed the nearest man and flung him across the room before taking a threatening step towards the shaman.

“Stop!”

I froze in place. My mind wanting nothing else than to tear them all to shreds. The shaman’s hideous mouth formed a dirty smile that told me one thing. I had no will of my own. I struggled and fought the control, managing only to twitch my little finger.

“You are truly magnificent. Now for the test of your loyalty, even though I doubt you will ever be loyal. Your mind is mine to control.”

“I won’t do what you command. I will kill myself first.” Even as I said the words, I felt the tether of magic to this man. I could never sever it myself.

“Face your demon friend.”

I turned even though I fought with everything I had. Sweat burst forth on my forehead as I fought for control. A sword was placed in my hand. A sword I dearly wanted to run through the shaman.

“Kill him.”

My steps were slow and labored as I mentally ripped and tore at the control of my mind. Pain seared through my veins. I felt my magic, but I couldn’t use it the way I wanted to.

“Lucius.” I cried in my head directing his name to Lucius alone.

“Katarina. Can you hear me?”

“It’s so painful. He has too much control.”

The shaman yelled. “Kill him! The more you fight, the tighter my control will be.”

“I’m sorry, my love.”

“Conserve your fight until the last moment.”

My steps moved quicker and smoother as I lessened my struggle.

“Yes!” The shaman screamed.

I now stood before Lucius. Tears fell from my eyes as I raised the sword.

“I’m sorry, Lucius. I love you!”

I closed my eyes and sensed my surroundings. I could see through Lucius and to his bindings.

“Do what you have to, Katarina. I would die for you.”

His words shattered my heart. I put every ounce of fight into me and my sword shook as it raised. My scream shook the walls of the cavern. I plunged the sword through Lucius’ side and straight through his bindings. Pain erupted throughout every cell of my body as I clashed with the magical forces controlling me. I collapsed to the ground.

“Kill him!”

Lucius ripped the gag from his mouth, pulled the sword from his side, and threw it. The sword flipped end over end plunging straight through the screaming mouth of the shaman and burying itself a foot deep into the cavern wall.

Lucius’ hands were on me and lifted me. He was gravely injured, but the control of my mind was gone.

“The control is gone, Lucius.”

“Keep your distance from them!”

I felt his magic as he blasted two Dyadelous with fire before he collapsed on the ground.

“I’ve got this, Lucius. Hang in there!”

A dozen Dyadelous rushed into the cave. I stood over Lucius and let my wings unfurl. I was mad as hell. I sent a burst of fire their way that incinerated them. I pulled Lucius into my arms. He was still barely conscious and was able to guide me out of the cavern. My additional speed quickly outdistancing any pursuit.

Once outside, I made several attempts to fly finally getting us off the ground on the third try.

“Fly towards the sun. Ten miles from here is the gateway.”

Lucius was getting weaker by the moment. My clumsy flying began to smooth out as we sped for the gateway. By the time it was in sight, Lucius had lost consciousness. I flew straight into it and was spit out over the Academy grounds. I banked awkwardly and landed in a heap in the garden.

“Lucifer! I need a healer in the garden!” I screamed with my mind.

Lucifer sifted to my side and others came running. Emma was the first healer to arrive. I grabbed her wrist as she began to work on Lucius.

“Let me feel your magic so I can assist.”

She nodded silently, probably not sure what to think of my wings or tears. I retracted my wings as I felt her magic flow, mimicked it, then added to her magic.

She nodded. “That’s right. Start healing the deepest wounds, Kat. I can feel your magic. We have the bleeding stopped. I’m going to sense other wounds.”

I felt her magic shift and I adjusted mine. I could feel Lucius’ bruises and I must have sheared a rib with the sword. I winced at the damage I had caused him.

“The rib, Emma.”

“I see it. Together, Kat.”

I pushed my magic into Lucius. He groaned and stirred.

“Now we need to give him a final wave of magic, Kat. Feel his heart, his mind. Send calming magic into his body as it has gone through a tremendous shock.”

I did, and Lucius’ eyes opened. He tried to sit up, but I fell upon him weeping.

“I’m so sorry, Lucius. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. Forgive me.”

His hand cupped my tear-stained face and he kissed me. “You saved us, Katarina. There is nothing to forgive.”

He wrapped his arms around me. “We have an audience, Katarina.”

“I don’t care.” I buried my face into his shoulder as we stood, too ashamed of my own actions to look at anyone. I felt warm hands pull me from Lucius. I knew it was Mother and I cried as she wrapped her arms around me.

“Hush, child. Everything is all right.”

I clung to her and cried for several minutes before pulling quickly from her grasp. “No, it’s not over! Get everyone a weapon. Now! The Dyadelous are coming. I feel their magic.”

Lucius and Lucifer shouted. “Move!”

I turned to Mother. “Show me your light magic.”

I hung onto her and she blasted a small tree. I nodded. “Got it. Thank you.”

“Lucifer. Show me how to sift.” This was tricky to capture his magic, but after a few tries, I made it work.

A shout came from the gateway. “We’re under attack!”

Lucius placed a pair of daggers in my hands. “Time to go to war.”

Everyone was scrambling but they paused to look at me when I unfurled my wings. Lucifer and Michael shouted out commands. “Archangels and Archdemons to the front line!”

I kissed Lucius. “Stay alive, my love.”

I sifted high into the air then used my wings to stabilize me. Dyadelous were pouring through the gate. I hovered and sent a blast of fire and light at them. A hundred-foot swath was burned to a crisp. Arrows were launched at me, but I turned, and they simply bounced off my wings.

“Good to know.” I whispered to myself.

I blasted light and fire several more times and combined with the other Archangels and Archdemons, the Dyadelous were being decimated. I sifted to the ground next to Lucius and his brothers who were creating quite the pile of Dyadelous around them.

A roar reverberated through the Academy as two dragons emerged through the gate.

“You’ve got to be kidding me! Dragons? What can they do?”

“Fire mainly and their claws are like hardened steel. Their scales are impenetrable except for one spot below their ribs. Keep your distance from the Dyadelous. We can’t risk you falling under their control again.”

I looked up to see Michael trying to head off one of the dragons with his light magic. I sifted next to him and blasted the dragon with light which seemed to hold it back some. That was until it pulled in a breath and send a blast of fire directly at us. I spun, grabbed Michael, and wrapped my wings around us both. The fire went around us and we both felt the incredible heat. When the blast stopped, I let go to stop us from falling anymore.

“Nice trick with your wings, Katarina.”

“Thank Lucifer for that one. I need a sword.”

He tossed me his. “That’s Excalibur. Bring it back to me.”

I was holding Excalibur. Could my life get any more interesting? “Fly up and distract the dragon. I’ll get underneath it.”

He nodded but trusted me. When he was high enough, he blasted the dragon with light. The dragon arched upwards and exposed its underbelly. Trying not to think about what I was going to do, I sifted right below the dragon and swung the mighty blade up through its belly. Black ichor dripped down on me, searing my skin. I yelled from the pain, but I was healing as fast as the burns were setting in. The dragon lurched, trying to get its claws into me before falling from the sky with me underneath it. I sifted away at the last second before the dragon crashed to the ground.

I sensed and attacker rushing up behind me. I turned to see it drop face first with a dagger in its back. Faustus bowed and shouted, “We’ve got your back, Katarina. Go take out the other dragon like a good girl.”

I did a quick curtsey then sifted back up into the sky. I spotted Father and Mother fighting side by side. Emma and Pete held back some, but their combined efforts were helping decimate the Dyadelous ranks that slipped through the fire and light being thrown at them.

Troy flew up next to me. “Nice wings, Katarina. How can I help?”

“Duck!”

Troy ducked his head and I caught the arrow that had nearly taken him out. Michael was being chased by the last dragon.

“Aim for the eyes, Troy. You’re a fantastic shot with the bow.”

“I’m on it!”

I blasted the dragon with light to get its attention as Troy flew above me. He started shooting as I took another chance to sift beneath the giant creature. This time the dragon twisted, and a talon tore at my side. I was in trouble but gritted my teeth and flew upwards plunging the sword just below the ribcage of the beast. It veered, and I saw its wing smash into Troy. This was a huge mess. Pain tore through my side and my flying was weakened. The dragon was thrashing mid-flight but dropping. I sifted ahead of Troy, grabbed unconscious and falling body just as my wing own gave out. We spiraled to the ground.

I rolled us at the last second to take the brunt of the fall as we crashed together in a heap of bushes, blood, and wings. It took a moment to regain enough strength to start healing Troy. He had a nice welt on his head and was unconscious. A healer came up to us took one look at my side that was already healed and shook her head in amazement.

“No doubt you save his life. I’ve got him from here, Katarina. We need you back in the fight.”

I stood and tested my wings. Strength was returning to them quickly. I spotted Mother and Father in the distance and sifted to them. Father shouted to me. “Get back up there. The Archangels and Archdemons need to get into formation. They are going to blast the remaining horde back.”

I nodded and sifted back to Michael’s side.

“Glad you could join us, Katarina. We all, angels and demons, heard your voice in our heads when you first arrived. Use it now. Archangels with us. Archdemons semicircle on the ground. Tell all others to fall back. Then, on my mark, we will send the rest of these Dyadelous to their graves.”

“Got it.” I targeted the minds of the angels and demons all around us and shared the information. We all watched as everyone moved into place.

“Now, Katarina!”

With my mental command shouted out, the Archdemons sent a blast of fire and the Archangels let loose their light. I pummeled our enemy with light and fire at the same time. Nearly five hundred Dyadelous were turned to ash.

We all dropped to the ground and all that was left were a few dozen Dyadelous that had been missed. Lucius and his brothers swept through the area and finished them off. I handed Michael back Excalibur and he wrapped me in his strong arms.

“Well done, Katarina. Well done.”

***

It took two days to clean up the mess. All the gates were guarded, and Lucius and his brothers were sent into Gomothon to assess the situation there. While I missed Lucius like crazy, I was more than occupied with helping where I could. I spent a lot of time helping the healers and fine tuning my own healing skills in the process.

As things began to calm down, it was now time for my assessment and report out to the Council. Emma greeted me with a hug and the others there for the assessment bowed or curtsied to me. I sighed. I didn’t need that in my life, but Emma whispered to me that I was proclaimed a hero by all during the fight with the Dyadelous and they were merely showing their respect.

The good news was that my blood tested accurately with the first vial. My new scale number came in at an astounding 157, eight points higher than Lucifer or Michael. Together, Emma and I walked to the Council chambers and when we entered, the Council all stood to their feet. One by one they came from their seats to hug me.

Mother and Father stood off to the side, all smiles. When the procession was completed, Emma gave her report.

“As expected,” she started. “Katarina’s full assessment is nothing short of amazing. Her blood demonstrates she is descended from Michael and Lucifer, not that anyone would have thought otherwise with the skills she demonstrates. She shows full hybrid capabilities with equitable power of an Archdemon and an Archangel. Her scale is 157 making her the most powerful of all Archangels and Archdemons. Katarina, can you show us your wings?”

I let my wings unfold. “Katarina’s wings allow her to fly like any angel, but her feathers have the protective qualities of demon’s wings. Impervious to fire and weapons. And, I must say, they are spectacularly beautiful.”

The doors opened and Lucius and his brothers entered.

Michael started to ask something, but I put up my hand and sifted myself into Lucius’ arms.

We managed a long kiss before Michael finally interrupted us with an “Ahem.”

“Sorry, grandpa.”

That caused everyone to laugh, including Michael. I slipped my hand into Lucius’ and we all stepped forward.

Faustus shook his head. “For all the good we do, there are no beautiful women to greet the rest of us, the overlooked brothers.”

I slipped from Lucius’ grip and moved to hug Faustus. I kissed him on the cheek. “Welcome home, Faustus.”

“Lucius.” Faustus beamed a smile. “You need to keep this one.”

I snuggled back into Lucius’ body. He slipped his arm around my waist.

Michael got the conversation going again. “Perfect timing. What is the situation in Gomothon?”

Secundus gave the report.

“The Dyadelous are in full retreat. I suspect they believed we would come after them. We entered their main cavern system and that had been abandoned. We uncovered numerous documents, some of which describe in detail the meetings with Micah and Tarick and how they used their magic to encourage conception of a hybrid. We have placed those documents in the library under lock and key until the Council can determine what to do with them.”

The Council nodded in agreement. Lucifer spoke next. “We now must turn to the situation regarding Katarina and Lucius. We have heard snippets of the story. Can you share with us all that happened?”

Lucius shared everything up until the moment I awoke in the cavern. I shared from that point, but I broke down in tears when I relayed the portion of the story where I was forced to kill Lucius.

Lucius dabbed my tears and filled in how we escaped, then I completed the story until they found us in the garden.

“Thank you for that. Please, give us some time to confer amongst ourselves.”

***

Michael found us in the dining hall. Mother, Father, Pete, Emma, Monique, and the brothers were all invited to attend the final disposition of the Council.

We followed Michael into the Council chambers and waited while they all took a seat.

Lucifer stood. “Lucius Casteele. Please step forward.”

Lucius let go of my hand and stepped to the center of the Council chambers.

“It would be remiss of the Council to not recognize the risks you have taken to bring awareness of the situation with the Dyadelous. You have proven yourself in the eyes of the Council. You have shown remarkable courage and loyalty. For this, the Council offers you their highest recognition and presents you with the sword of Gomothon.”

Lucifer stepped down and held out an obsidian sword. It was breathtaking and if my history were correct, it was the sword that Lucifer used to lead the fight against the angels. Handing it reverently to Lucius he spoke loudly for all to hear, “We title you Lord of the Nephilim.” This placed Lucius in a place of honor above the other Nephilim. It was honorary, but it was the first title ever bestowed by the Council.

Michael stood and stared at me. “Katarina, please step forward.” I paused next to Lucius who gripped my hand.

“I must say that your existence has caused quite the disturbance in the Council and the angel and demon communities. We quite frankly don’t know what to do with you. Some have suggested at times that you should be destroyed or that you were a weapon to be used against us.”

Everyone that had been invited started stepping up towards me protectively. Michael put up his hand and smiled.

“Those that felt this, have since changed their minds. You have challenged us. From the moment you came to the Academy, your courage and mercy reminded us what we should be like. Even though you were weak physically, your existence threatened each of us that sit upon this council and yet you have galvanized something that, at times, was tenuous. Peace. For we believe that you are the very best of us all. We offer you a seat upon this council so that we never forget the voice of truth that comes forth so freely from your lips.”

I swallowed. “I respectfully decline your offer.” I slipped my hand from Lucius’ and stepped forward with a bowed head. “I decline not because of any of you, rather it is because of me. I’m young and inexperienced. I can’t represent Gomothon or Apearid, angel or demon, for I truly don’t understand myself yet. The offer is humbling. It is an honor beyond which I can fathom. I look at each of you and know I can learn so much more. Azriel. Your undeniable grace and beauty make me feel like an ungainly foal. I can learn so much from you. Baal. Your fierceness and ability to shove fear aside is something I need more of in my life. Lucifer.” I wiped a tear. “I could sit and listen to your wisdom for eons and only touch the breadth of all that you know. And Michael. Grandpa.” I smiled. “You saw something in me before I ever saw it in myself. I lack your vision. Being on the Council is a great honor. The greatest honor. I would request that in a hundred years, you ask me again.”

Lucifer smiled. “Pay up Ag’Thamar! I told you she would refuse.”

Michael stepped down in front of me. “Look behind you, granddaughter.”

I turned to find all my friends and family. Mother and Father dabbed tears from their eyes. Pete was grinning, even though from time to time he cast a furtive fearful glance at the Council members. Emma was with him, holding his hand and nodded towards me. Monique, when she wasn’t paying attention to one of the brothers gave me a thumbs up. The brothers looked relaxed and bowed to me. And Lucius. My Lucius. He stepped forward and pulled me into a hug.

Michael continued as I turned back to face him. “You came to us an orphan but look at you now. You have a family and friends that all love you. The offer stands for whenever you feel ready. We still bestow the title of Honorary Council Member, with equal recognition. Considering your actions during the battle against the Dyadelous, I give you Excalibur.”

“But…”

“I have to outdo Lucifer somehow, and you proved yourself worthy. Excalibur is yours.”

I hugged Michael before everyone came around me to offer congratulations. The Council door opened, and we all turned to leave.

“One more thing, Katarina…”

***

I chose a conservative blue dress, made myself look as innocent as possible, and stepped out the Academy doors. Cameras flashed and microphones were pushed close to me. A hundred questions from reporters all shouted out at once as I walked calmly over to the podium. Calmy from the outside, as I was quaking on the inside.

Emma, had graciously offered to help logistics and held up her hand for everyone to settle down. “First question please.” She pointed to a woman in the front row.

“We saw you for the first time when you were captured on video while shopping and yet we know very little about you. Can you start with your name and rank?”

“My name is Katarina Bellamore. As for rank, that is more difficult to answer. I’m sorry for being vague, but I don’t fit well in Angelic or Demonic hierarchies.”

“But you are an angel?”

“Yes. And also, a demon. I’m the first hybrid.”

Emma pointed to a man further back.

“Did you really mean what you said on the video?”

“That angels and demons shouldn’t receive preferential treatment?” The man nodded. “Yes. Absolutely. The Arch Council has just made a proclamation. May I read it for you?” Another nod. “It is hereby acknowledged that angels and demons should prioritize the safety and welfare of humans. Any angel or demon that takes preferential treatment above humans will face discipline.” I paused. “I know it is short, and there is much that is conveyed behind the scenes. I have been given authority on behalf of all angels and demons to apologize to humans. We have taken advantage of you and put ourselves above you. That stops today. We are here to defend humans and help wherever we can. We have sat back too long watching humans suffer from crime, disease, and natural disasters. Please note that humans vastly outnumber us, but we will do what we can to offer aid with our limited numbers. Our healers will treat the injured and sick. Our people will assist where asked with fighting crime. We will come to your aid when disaster strikes. We ask nothing from humanity in return other than allowing us to live and work amongst you.”

Emma pointed to another woman.

“Will we be seeing more of you, Katarina?”

“Most definitely. I have been nominated to be the face of angels and demons, the liaison between humans and our races.”

Someone shouted from the crowd. “Can we see your wings?”

I looked over at Emma who shrugged.

I let my wings unfurl amidst gasps from the crowd and I lifted myself off the ground a few feet, enough to let them see they worked but not enough for them to see up my dress.

Emma smiled to the crowd. “That will be all for now. We are working to establish lines of communication and we will publish those soon. Thank you for coming.”

Emma and I headed back into the main Academy building and once inside I visibly sagged with relief that the media event was over. As we stepped into the dining hall to meet everyone for lunch, Troy walked quickly over and intercepted us. His actions were noted by many and several people began shifting our direction. It wasn’t that I needed help, but they were being protective of me as ever since battle I had become a bit of a respected celebrity.

“Katarina. I heard what you did for me during the battle with the Dyadelous. You saved my life by taking the force of our fall, even though you too were injured. Why would you save me after all I have done to you?”

“Perhaps it is the angelic side of me that believes we can all be redeemed.”

“You have never needed redemption, Katarina.”

“You’re wrong, Troy. I probably need it as much as anyone. I almost killed Lucius. I had a sword in my hand, and I was too weak to stop myself from stabbing him. I’m spiteful and sometimes too brash for my own good putting myself and others at risk.”

“I have thought a lot lately and spoken at length to Michael and Gabriel. I told them of my desire to change and become a better person. They encouraged me to begin with seeking forgiveness of those I have hurt.”

“How has that gone?”

He ran his fingers through his blonde hair. “It’s a rather long list, but I have been working my way through it.”

Monique stepped to my side as did Pete.

“You’ve spoken to Pete, Monique, and Emma already?”

“I have. You’re the last one, the person that I have harmed the most after myself.”

“Why would you say after yourself, Troy?”

“My actions have negatively impacted my life. I have few friends and even those I did have left me. Angels refused to treat my wounds because I had been abusive to you and others. You may not realize it, Katarina, but you are a like a beacon of hope and justice to everyone. Even when we went to school together and before our transformations, people saw the fight in you and your quest for goodness. Every time someone praised you, I pushed you harder to prove you were insignificant. I couldn’t have been more wrong about you. After all I have done to you, you still fought to protect me. You healed me on the battlefield. For what it is worth, I apologize.”

I extended my hand and he stared at it. “I offered you my hand once before and I offer it again. It would mean a great deal to me if we can put the past behind us.”

He clasped my hand firmly. “Thank you, Katarina.”

Troy turned away with his head low. He headed towards a large table where no one else sat. It made me sad. I walked over to the table and sat down opposite Troy. Emma, Monique, Pete, and others joined us.

I smiled at Troy. “What shall we eat?”

***

“Katarina?”

I was standing on the balcony of my Costa Rican estate home. Warm tropical breezes blew in from the ocean and beach below me. Lucius’ arms slid around my waist and I leaned back against his strong body.

“You would think I would get used to hearing you say my name, but every time you speak it, I feel like I’m the only person that matters to you.” I spun in his arms and placed my hand against his muscular chest. I slowly lifted my eyes to meet his. After six months, a quick courtship, an impressive mating ceremony, and making love at least three times a day for the past week, I thought maybe he wouldn’t do this to me anymore. I could still barely breathe in his presence.

My hands reached up and my fingers dug into the hair at the back of his neck. I lifted onto my toes and pressed my eager lips against his. When I pulled away, a slight gasp left my lips along with a tender and emotional plea, “Lucius”.

“The Arch Council is requesting we return today, Katarina.”

I took his hand and pulled him back to the bedroom. I opened the buttons on his shirt one by one and slipped his shirt over his powerful shoulders. I pulled the two strings that held my dress onto my shoulders and let it fall silently to the floor.

“Let them wait another few hours, for I haven’t had my fill of you yet.”

Lucius looked me up and down and reached for me. “If that’s the criteria, then they will never see us again.”

“I’m all right with that.”

He pulled me back into the bed with me on top of him.

***

Mother and Father greeted us as Lucius and I made our way towards the Council chambers.

Mother cupped my face and kissed me. “You’re glowing, Katarina.”

That made me blush. “Angel DNA?”

Father hugged me before they both hugged Lucius.

“You’re late. The Council has been waiting for you both.”

I grinned at Mother and pulled Lucius to my side. I whispered, “Have you seen Lucius?”

Mother chuckled. “Best not keep them waiting any longer than necessary. They are notorious for giving people extra work that don’t show up in a timely manner.”

“They can’t give anything to me since I’m still a student. Lucius however…”

Lucius bumped me with his hip playfully. “It wasn’t my fault we are late.”

“I didn’t hear you complaining.” I hugged Mother and Father again before we headed into the Council chambers.

“Ahh. There you both are.” Michael announced. “You’re late.”

I gave the Council a contrite and innocent look. “Sorry, grandpa. It was all Lucius’ fault.”

Michael snickered at me. “You shouldn’t lie to us, young lady. It goes against your angelic nature.”

“It’s not entirely a lie. If Lucius hadn’t been there, I would have never fallen into temptation thereby causing a slight delay in our return. What can we help the Council with?”

“We have…”

Lucifer interrupted Michael. “I think there is an important matter to discuss first, right Azriel?”

Azriel rolled her eyes.

Lucifer continued. “Which of the two outfits did you wear for the first evening of your mating ceremony? The one I gave you, or Azriel’s?”

I pointed my finger at them. “You had another bet?”

Lucifer shrugged. “It’s the little things in life that make everything worthwhile. We’re waiting.”

I tapped my foot and tried to look upset, but I knew it wasn’t convincing as I was trying to hide my smile. “It’s rather private. Lucifer, your outfit was scandalous.”

Lucius blushed. “Was that the red one with the…”

I nodded with a devilish grin.

Lucifer stood and bowed towards Azriel. “I knew it! Pay up, Azriel!”

“Not so fast, grandpa. Where yours was scandalous, Azriel’s was…”

Lucius shook his head. “It was like a gift, so delicately wrapped that my heart swelled in my chest with longing to open it. Every translucent layer, falling to the floor revealed another glimpse of perfection. It was glorious.”

It was my turned to blush.

Lucifer stared hard at Azriel. “It was like a pile of cotton candy. There is no way she wore that to lure her mate on their first night together.”

Azriel smiled down at me. “Pay up, Lucifer. And I have left you two another gift for tonight, Katarina.”

Lucifer huffed. “Collusion! Plain and simple!”

I held out my hands. “It’s the little things in life.”

Azriel winked at me while Michael got everyone’s attention back.

“Now that Lucifer’s unfortunate business is complete, we can get on with Council business. Over to you, Baal.”

“Thank you, Michael.” Baal stood and walked down towards me. He pulled something reverently from his pocket, stared at it a moment, then handed it to me.

“Your whistle?”

“The Council needs to maintain an odd number and since you are an honorary Council member, it gives us a chance to go on vacation. You will stand in for me while I relax on the Gomothon Sulphur beaches. You will be required to vote on my behalf and attend Council meetings when they occur.”

“You want me to teach your fighting skills class? But I’m still a student.”

“Nonsense. You can outfight all of us now. Time to put your skills to use.”

“How long will you be gone?”

“No more than ten or twenty years.”

“Excuse me?”

Baal roared out a huge laugh. I never knew he had it in him. “Lucifer, you are so right. It is the little things in life. No worries, Katarina, we are each planning to vacation in turn and I should be back within a few months.”

“Did you say, each?”

Azriel tipped her head towards me. “I’ll leave right after Baal returns.”

“But I don’t know enough about history to take your class.”

Azriel chuckled. “I’m sure with your gifted mind you can learn enough to teach while I’m gone. Besides, none of the male students ever learn anything. They simply stare at me and daydream. You could say anything, and it wouldn’t matter.”

Michael bowed to me. “That’s what you get for being late, young lady.”

“Oh… I get it. Haze the newbie.” I took Lucius’ arm in mine and turned towards the door. “Looking forward to trying out the new gift, Azriel.”

***

I stood in the training yard as the new students filed in. Many of them pointed at me and whispered.

“That’s Katarina!”

“She’s more beautiful than Azriel.”

“Is she going to be our teacher? I would love to get pinned by her.”

The boy that spoke the last words reminded me a lot of Troy. He was suddenly tapped on the shoulder from behind. The boy turned and looked up at Lucius.

“Show some respect.”

The boy swallowed hard. “Yes, sir.”

Lucius walked through the gawking group and kissed me.

I leaned into him. “Lucius.”

He grinned. “Catch you for dinner, Katarina.” He then kept walking towards the advanced group.

Some of the girls were chatting back and forth.

“He is so hot!”

“Welcome everyone. I’m Katarina and I will be your instructor while Baal is away on vacation. Girls, Lucius and I are mated and I’m rather possessive, so you might want to consider that carefully. And yeah. He’s hot.”

One of the guys moaned. “You’re mated? There is no heaven!”

I chuckled. “Today we will be focusing on staff fighting.”

One of the girls put up her hand.

“Yes. What is your name?”

She curtseyed to me. “Emily, your honor.” Her voice was shaky.

“Hello, Emily. You can call me Katarina and there is no need to ever bow to me. You have a question?”

“Uhm…”

Emma came over to me and whispered. “Pixie dust, Kat. You have no idea how much power you radiate.”

“It’s all right, Emily. Go ahead. What’s your question? Nothing you could ask would make me upset.”

“Uhm… Why staff, swords, and knives when we have guns?”

“That’s a very good question, Emily. I asked this of Lucifer myself when I first began training.”

Emily beamed an innocent smile.

I picked up a handgun off the table, pointed it at a sand-filled training dummy, and fired. A small hole appeared, and some sand trickled out.

“Most of you would heal quickly from a wound like this. With a sword, we could cut off limbs.”

Emily blanched.

“Or, even better, we can use our magic.” I placed the handgun down and pointed my finger at the dummy. A blast of light and fire exploded the dummy into a mushroom cloud of dust and ash.

The entire class stood with their mouths open.

Emily forced a smile. “I understand now.”

Emma looked at me with a slight shake of her head before addressing the girls. “You can see why you would not want to flirt with Lucius.”

“Not. Helping. Emma.”

***

Lucius kissed my neck as he sat down next to me. “How was your first class, Katarina?”

I glanced at Emma who was about to burst with laughter. “Uhm. Went well, I think.”

Emma couldn’t hold it in. “It was priceless! Kat, the sweetest, most caring person in the world, had these poor students ready to dump their lunches into their britches within the first ten minutes.”

Lucius squeezed my thigh as I looked around the table.

“Do I give off an aura of power like Lucifer or Michael?”

They all nodded.

“What? No!”

Emma chuckled. “The pixie dust was flying like a Saharan sand storm. It didn’t help that Kat blasted the poor training dummy into the next dimension.”

“I barely sent any magic at it!”

I buried my head in my hands. “I don’t want people to be scared of me.”

Just then Emily came up and gave me a big hug. “That was awesome! I’m so proud you’re teaching us.”

Emily left and the table all started laughing.

Pete pointed at me. “Gotcha!”

My hand slipped under the table to entwine my fingers with Lucius’. Troy joined us at the table, and I let my gaze move from friend to friend. My parents were there, and I leaned back into Lucius’ arms. Life just couldn’t get any better.

***

***

This was one of those stories that I came up with the idea and ten days later I completed. The writing flowed well from start to finish without a lot of deliberating or plot changes.

Please take a second to leave a comment or send me a note. I hope you enjoyed it.

Avia Conner

up
278 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ab so lute ly fabulous !

This ranks right up with everything else you’ve written. Blackfall, Amaya, the Cauldron, the Faie, everything. The story just keeps flowing. The characters so defined I keep thinking we can meet for lunch. It is hard to avoid cliches discussing it. The only thing, and it is a minor thing, is sometimes the heroine was to heroic. She talks about her (perceived) flaws, but I never saw them in the story. Maybe a little mention to show she is more than a caricature of a person, but a true good person who is flawed but strives to be better? Whatever you do, PLEASE know I adored this story. My comment is meant to give you something to think about, not criticism for a story I will reread with as much pleasure as I got the first time.

great story

I enjoyed reading it straight through but there would be times when I didn't have the free time for that so some division into chapters on your next story might be useful. Of course if it's this well done I will find time to read it somehow.

Good story

erin's picture

It flowed smooth, had the necessary story beats, and engaging characters. Classic. :)

Thanks for posting! :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Agreed, and I'm very glad you recommended it to me.

I just got around to reading this today, but it was definitely a great time. You managed to do the Mary Sue thing while having the Mary Sue earn her stripes at the same time (and let's be honest, in our heart of hearts, we all love a Mary Sue.)

Thanks for a great story!

Melanie E.

Marvellous story

Really enjoyed it.

Anne Margarete

Excellently written

That flowed really well. It was internally consistent and showed good character development. Long as it was it almost felt too short. There is room to develop sub-plots and flesh out the minor characters and make it into a full-length novel.

I loved this story!

I loved this story! Interesting take on the angel/demon mythology. Could have used some more proofreading but the errors (mostly extra words or wrong word used, like turret's instead of Tourette's) didn't ruin my enjoyment of the story. I loved the writing style, and the characters...

Dyadelous

I'd have liked to get a bit more background story and history of the Dyadelous and their reasons for fighting angels and demons.

Otherwise, thx for another excellent story^^

Really Neat Concept...

...with the Angels and Demons. Very enjoyable story.

Until you introduced the Dyadelous, I thought Kat was going to be revealed as God the Creator after the last seal was broken.

Eric

Amazing!

NoraAdrienne's picture

The characters and the situations were MAGNIFICENT! The settings in multiple Universes also kept me entranced. I hope this won't be the only time we get to play in this new universe. Pretty Please, may we have some more?

So Rare

You have a rare and wonderful gift. Thank you

ShadowCat

Great story!

Another wonderful story from your fertile mind! Please keep growing your story collection!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Excellent story, definitely a

Excellent story, definitely a great departure from the normal 'Heaven and Hell', Sturm und Drang.

I can see where you could spin off a number of minor tales without overusing the main characters here.

One thing I can see coming from this? There are thousands of angels and demons left. With the information from the Dyadelous (I started to type it as Daedalus), they might be able to figure out why they can't rebuild their own populations. 500 is considered the magic number for long term genetic survival, I believe, so thousands should be enough to get things restarted.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.