Mira

Printer-friendly version
MIRA2.jpg

Mira

Duckwater. That was the name of the town where I lived my entire life. Duckwater, Nevada. Five thousand four hundred feet in elevation, one hundred and sixty miles to the nearest city with more than fifty thousand people, two hundred and twenty eight residents, desolate, less than an inch of rain a year, hot in summer, and cold in winter. That was where I grew up and I had no recollection of ever travelling more than twenty miles from my home. Of all the people in Duckwater, I knew five. Mom and Dad were the two I interacted with every day. There was Washaki, our neighbor a mile north. I met him for the first time several years ago when I was walking the fence line between our properties. He seemed ancient, but it was likely the high-altitude desert and lack of moisture in the air that had weathered him. A half-mile south lived Pinquana and Kimana, or Pinky and Kimmy for short. These two elderly Shoshone ladies lived a simple life in a house made from earthbags.

If anyone had asked me, I would tell them that Duckwater was the place you would live if you wanted to ignore the rest of the world, which was why my life was such a conundrum. For all my isolation from the world, my parents made certain I studied it. My days were filled with learning geography, languages, history, mathematics, physics, chemistry, astronomy, philosophy, political science, and economics. Every day I was tested and challenged by my parents in ways that would turn my studies into practical, fine-honed understanding. My education took up nine hours every day leaving three hours a day for physical fitness exercises; stretching, weights, running, and mastering the art of fighting.

“Shield!”

I hadn’t been paying attention to Dad, yet my hands moved without hesitation. I placed them together up and left then drew my right hand down and to the right as if I were creating an imaginary frame in front of me. The ten-degree January morning caused my breath to swirl before my eyes almost as if it didn’t want to be absorbed into the nothingness as a direct rebellion to entropy.

“You’re not focusing, Conrad! Push!”

My left hand came back as my right pushed forward with my fingers up and my palm facing away from me.

“That’s enough with the moves for now.” Dad looked over at Mom with a slight nod. “Athera, you know the drill.”

She stepped forward looking both lethal and beautiful at the same time. In the cold of winter or the searing heat of summer she never seemed uncomfortable. Her long, dark hair fanned out across shoulders that she slowly rolled to limber herself up. She tossed me a pair of wooden swords and grinned.

“Do you want to make things interesting, Conrad?”

I deftly swung my swords around. “What did you have in mind?”

“Winner gets the evening off. Loser cleans up after dinner and does the laundry.”

My eyes narrowed a bit. I always did the dishes anyways and afterwards I was given time to myself to read. It wasn’t much of an incentive other than not having to do laundry and gaining twenty minutes.

As if reading my mind, Mom added the cincher. “We’re having lasagna.”

Lasagna meant an hour of cleanup, not the normal twenty minutes. “First to two, as usual?”

She nodded. Her mouth twitched upwards at the corner.

“Deal.”

She didn’t hesitate and leapt forward with unbelievable speed and skill. Her wooden sword smacked against my side before I even started my block.

“That’s one…”

It was unfair but I should have been ready. I didn’t even let her complete her sentence before I moved in with my swords thrusting, parrying, and blocking like I was a ninja assassin. As hard as I pressed my attacked, she didn’t even back up an inch. She held her solid defense and move with grace and agility to form her own attack in reply, all the while grinning like she knew without a doubt she would win easily. The grin was what drove me even harder. My wooden swords danced as if they had a mind of their own, as an extension of my own body. I had never felt this way in a fight before, but for every swing, she was there. For every thrust, she blocked and thrust back equally as fast.

We fought for seven minutes, which was longer than I had ever held out against her before. I was certain I would find a way past her guard. We were both moving so quickly, it was amazing we could even see each other’s swords to block them. Suddenly, Mom dropped her left sword and pressed forward. There was a flicker of light that drew my attention, but it was enough to catch me off guard. The next thing I knew, her left hand grabbed my right wrist and twisted, her leg swept my feet, and I crashed hard to the frozen ground with a sword to my throat.

I breathed heavily and looked up at her. She was still smiling.

“Very good, Conrad. That was the first time you ever really challenged me. You’re getting better and faster every day. Continue drills with your father as you still have two hours remaining of your fighting training.”

I pulled myself up to my feet and looked down at the well-worn wooden sword in my hand. “Why?”

She looked up at me with a raised eyebrow. “Why what?”

It was the first time I had ever questioned either of them. The mixture of guilt and shame for having the audacity to ask what was on my heart was shoved aside. I wanted answers. I needed them. They rambled easily off my tongue one after another like a heard of antelope crossing the highway. “Why do we live out here in the middle of nowhere? Why don’t I go to school like normal seventeen-year-olds? Why do I need to learn to fight? Why swords when people have guns?”

“I’m going inside to finish making dinner with lots and lots of pots and pans to mess up. Why don’t you answer Conrad, Tayn?” Mom turned and headed back inside the house.

Dad sighed. “How long have you been asking yourself these questions?”

“Years.”

“Why now? What’s changed in your heart that you feel a need to vocalize these concerns now?”

“I just don’t understand my purpose or where any of my efforts will lead. I have no grasp on my future.”

Dad looked towards the west, but his eyes didn’t focus on anything. “Let’s start with your first question. What are you missing by living here?”

“Since I have lived here all my life, I have no other paradigm. I have no idea what I’m missing, but I read all about cities and shopping and people…”

“You assume you are missing something when perhaps it is the people that live in those cities that are missing what you have here.”

“I don’t understand.”

“There is beauty here. Space. Time to think and focus on priorities.”

I looked around the snowy, windswept, barren landscape. There were moments Duckwater could be beautiful like when the sun rose and cast golden hues across the sparse spring flowers or when I looked up into the cloudless night sky and felt I could pull the Milky Way down to earth because it seemed so close. “But… You’re saying that life in the cities is…”

“Different, Conrad. Most people focus on themselves and when they will get their next promotion. They buy more and more things to try and satisfy the gnawing hole inside themselves.”

“What is wrong with buying things?”

“Do you want to buy something? What is it you lack?”

“I…”

“The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence, Conrad.”

“Grass? What grass? There isn’t a blade of it anywhere for a hundred miles. Did you and Mom run away from society? Did you do something bad? Why are we here in Duckwater?”

Dad shook his head. “Maybe we did run away, but we have everything we need right here. We are dependent on no one. We are not a slave to the government or a corporation. We are free to aid our neighbors when they need help. Are these things not worth aspiring towards?”

“Yes, they are, but…”

“What do you want?”

“A sense of purpose and the autonomy to accomplish that. Knowing there is a plan and a future to go with it.”

“How much money do you have, Conrad?”

“None that I know of. You don’t let me go anywhere so what would I use it for?”

“Let’s assume you had some money and you moved to the city. To live there, you need a steady stream of income to pay for all your expenses.”

“I would get a job.”

“You would work for someone to earn your pay so you could afford to live in the city. Where then does your autonomy go?”

“I would have autonomy in my choice.”

“True. However, real autonomy comes when you are reliant on only yourself and that is harder to achieve than you think. Not everyone has a choice in their circumstances.”

I was getting nowhere. “What about school?”

“If you were in school like others your age, you would be forced to learn what the school system teaches you.”

“Aren’t I forced to learn what you want me to learn? How is that any different?”

“Would you appreciate the fact that your schooling here at home sets you apart from those in a regular school? You have learned far more than what others your age have learned.”

Frustrated, I held up a wooden sword. “Why swords?”

“If you didn’t have fitness and health, what would you be left with?”

“Why do you keep answering my questions with questions?”

“Because you will ultimately understand more if you come to the answer yourself without it being told to you. I’ll ask the question again. If you didn’t have fitness and health, what would you be left with?”

“That wasn’t my question. I asked why we use swords.”

“My response is part of the answer, Conrad. We could train with rocks instead of swords. Fighting with swords helps train your natural ability to keep your balance by extending weight away from your body. The weight of the sword also strengthens your muscles. Sparing, gives you confidence if you were ever to be in a real fight.”

“Fight? I live in a town of less than three hundred people, many of whom are over seventy years old. Who would I ever fight here?” I shook my head to clear my thoughts and focus on the root of the matter. “What am I supposed to be or do?”

“Your destiny is already set for you and it is not my place to tell you. Are you finished delaying your training?”

None of Dad’s answers satisfied me. Dad raised his swords and if I didn’t move, I knew would be on the ground again with additional bruises. I snapped my swords up. The only destiny I had was washing dishes and doing the laundry.

***

I wiped my hands on a dishtowel and stared at the twisted and feathered patterns of ice on the window. The patterns were orderly, yet confused, a perfect example of how I felt. Stepping towards the laundry room, Mom and Dad’s room was close by and the door mostly closed. As I approached, I overheard them talking.

“He did well today. He’s so fast even without…”

The dryer bumped and squealed.

“I had to use my…”

More noise from the dryer.

“A change is coming. I feel it. We have to decide soon…”

The dryer alarm sounded, and I felt the heat rise to my face for listening to them. I rushed away to finish the laundry.

***

Weeks passed, but the questions I had didn’t go away. They filled my head making it hard to concentrate on my studies. February had arrived and the landscape was still locked under the frigid, firm grasp of winter. I had taken it upon myself to run the five-mile loop of our property borders in the pre-dawn mornings to ease my conflicted thoughts.

This day I circled the property in a clockwise fashion. The air was crisp and well below freezing, but the constant wind had stilled making the cold more tolerable. As I turned east on my final leg, I spotted movement up ahead. I slowed as I recognized Washaki, our neighbor.

“Mr. Washaki, what brings you out here on such a cold morning?”

His weathered face looked up into the sky towards the east just as the first rays of sunshine appeared. He smiled as if greeting an old friend. “The Great Spirit told me to meet you.”

“The Great Spirit?”

“He told me that change is coming for you. You will get what you have been wanting, along with a few changes that you were not expecting.”

I frowned. “Did this Great Spirit of yours tell you what I want?”

He chuckled. “You want to be normal.”

“I think it is not the Great Spirit that told you that, rather you see a seventeen-year-old in the middle of nowhere with no one else his age around. I think it would be easy to guess what I want.”

“Perhaps. The funny thing about what we want is that sometimes it is not what we need.”

“You sound like my parents. What’s wrong with wanting normalcy?”

“What is normal?”

Clearly, he had been colluding with my parents. “Normal would be doing what others my age do. Going to school, eating out, having relationships.”

“A normal life is a fallacy. There is no such thing. Everyone has a different experience from the moment they are born until the moment of their death. Trying to become something you’re not will only bring hardship.”

“Is that what the Great Spirit told you?”

He smiled and started walking away. He raised his weathered hand to wave with his back turned to me. “It is what life has taught me. Tomorrow you will see things differently. Changes are coming, even now. Goodbye, Conrad.”

I watched him until he disappeared over the horizon. His farewell settled into the pit of my stomach like a bag of wet cement.

The sound of a car travelling down the road caught my attention. Cars occasionally came by, but they were few because we lived off the main road. This vehicle was a fancy newer model, the kind that never stopped in Duckwater, however this one slowed and pulled into the dirt driveway of our house. I never recalled us having visitors before. My feet were moving before my mind caught up to my body as I ran home.

When I stepped inside, Mom and Dad were sitting across the living room from two women. They immediately moved to stand when they saw me, but Mom was quick to reach out her hand and pull them back down. She shook her head silently towards them. Dad stood and placed his hand on my shoulder leading me through the living room.

“Head to your room and start your studies. We need some privacy to discuss things.”

I glanced at the women. Their eyes betrayed them. What they had to talk to my parents about was not making them comfortable. I headed to my room and paused when I was out of sight.

“Why didn’t you want us to…”

Mom interrupted them. “Close the door, Conrad.”

I sighed and slipped into my room.

***

An hour later I heard the car pulling away from the house. A gentle knock sounded on my door.

“Conrad, we need to speak with you. Come to the living room, please.”

It was a Stephen King novel level of mysterious. I found Mom and Dad on the couch. I noticed Mom’s fingers clenching and releasing. She was nervous and that made me nervous. I sat down opposite them.

“What’s going on?”

“Conrad…”

Mom couldn’t get her next words out. Dad continued for her.

“Conrad… It is time we answer some questions but know what we share with you today will likely only cause you many more questions. It is not our intent to harm you by not answering everything. Quite the opposite. We have been your guardians your entire life and we will continue that honor. We have always been with you as protectors.”

“Guardians? Protectors?”

Mom struggled to compose herself. “Yes. Conrad. Guardians. Tayn and I are not your parents.”

“What?”

“We… We love you as if you were our very own and we could not be prouder to have been called Mom and Dad by you. The truth is… you were placed in our care just days after you were born.”

“I’m adopted then?”

Dad, or maybe he wasn’t my dad kept the conversation going.

“Not really. This is difficult for us to share, but the time has come for you to move into the next phase of your life. Your very presence is a threat to many, but we cannot share any more about that. Your mother trusted us to watch over you and prepare you for the future. She loves you more than you will ever know.”

I felt my eyes narrow. “You’re telling me you are not my parents, I’m some threat, and my real mom abandoned me days after giving birth to me and you say she loves me?”

Mom… Athera stood and paced. “I know this is hard for you to hear, but don’t assume your mother doesn’t love you. She risked everything to protect you and hide you.”

I stood and felt myself shaking. “What? She was married to an abusive drunk and she pawned me off on you both to keep me from him? Maybe you kidnapped me, and my real parents are still looking for me. What am I to say to all of this?”

“Since we are getting this all out in the open, there is something else. You’re not entirely human.”

“Excuse me?”

“We… and you… are Atlanteans.”

I started laughing.

“You both really had me going there. When did you come up with this? Atlantean? Not my parents? It’s not even April first. I bet Dad was the one that put this ruse together.”

Tayn… Dad looked at Mom and somberly shook his head slowly. It was his somber, serious look that challenged my inner sense of security.

“The transformational veil must be lifted. Conrad must be released from it so that he can come into his own power when he comes of age.”

I looked back and forth between them.

“This is a joke. Right?”

Mom held her hand up with her palm facing me.

“We’re sorry, Conrad.”

I was about to say something when a burst of light erupted from her hand.

***

It had all been a Magnesium-induced crazy dream. Washaki, my parents, not being human, everything. I laid in bed with my eyes closed wondering why my alarm hadn’t woken me. It was always set for five every morning so it must have still been night even though I felt completely rested and refreshed. I opened my eyes to find sunlight streaming in through the window.

Mom’s face appeared before me. “You’re finally awake. Before you speak or try to get up, I need to share a few things with you. Just nod if you understand me.”

I nodded slowly; confusion undoubtedly written across my face.

“Do you remember talking with Tayn and me? We shared that we were not your parents.”

Wait. What? That was real? My eyes widened as I looked at her. I tried to say something, but she gently placed her fingers on my lips.

“Shhh. To protect you as you grew up, you were transformed with an energy manipulation veil. Think of a veil as an illusion, but, in this case, your identity was completely masked.”

Mom… Athera… Whomever she was, was crazy incarnate just one call away from a padded cell. I started to push myself up, but she held me down by my shoulders.

“Let. Me. Go.”

That was not my voice. It was… It sounded feminine. I struggled more but she held me down firmly.

“Listen to me!” She hissed. “Everything we told you is true. We are not your parents. Your mother gave you to us to protect you and… and… You are no longer veiled. You are Mira, your mother’s daughter. You are…”

There was no way her hands would keep me down. I had to get up and get out of there. I pushed up hard and managed to swing my legs out of the bed. That was when I noticed everything was different. My weigh shifted oddly, my legs were lean, tone, and smooth. The fingers on my hands were narrower. I looked down to see I was wearing a nightgown and… and there were…

I turned my head towards a mirror in the corner of my room. I sucked in a shaky breath.

“What…?”

“Breathe, Mira. Take slow breaths. This is your natural state. You are a beautiful, young woman. You are your mother’s daughter and, I dare say, you take after her.”

I watched as the young woman in the mirror raised her hand to her face. It was a flawless face with large, frightened eyes that were the deepest aquamarine color I had ever seen. She had full lips and pronounced cheekbones. Her beautiful face was framed by a mass of long, golden hair.

Ignoring the pleading in Athera’s eyes, I pushed her away and stood like a newborn foal. The nightgown did little to hide what was undeniably a female body. I took a quick breath, then another. I watched as the young woman in the mirror struggled to catch her breath. I bent at my waist and thrust my hand out to try to keep myself from falling over. I could not breathe.

Athera grabbed my hand and pulled me to her in a fierce hug. “Relax, Mira. I know this is a shock for you. Take slow, deep breaths.”

I felt her hand gently caressing my head. I was utterly confused and pressed my face into her shoulder. I felt my breathing slow as my arms wrapped around her waist to hold myself upright. The tears came like and unstoppable tidal wave. I shook and cried, giving myself over to the onslaught of emotions I was feeling.

After many minutes, I pulled myself away and looked down upon myself once again. As I looked up, Athera’s hands moved to my face as her thumbs dabbed at my tears.

“This… This is real?”

“Yes, Mira.”

“I’m a young woman.”

“You were always female, just transformed to hide who you were.”

“I don’t understand.”

Athera grabbed a robe and wrapped it around me.

“Come. Sit with us.”

I should have fought her, but I was mentally drained and let her lead me back into the living room. I sat down and felt the tug of my hair and other things… I stared at my hand until I found the strength to look up. Athera and Tayn had nothing but compassion and concern in their eyes.

“This no longer feels like a joke. Look at me. I’m a young woman.”

Athera’s hand found Tayn’s.

Tayn placed his other hand on hers. “Let me start from the beginning. You have learned about Atlantis in your studies.”

“As myth. Yes.”

“It isn’t a myth. Atlantis was real and still exists in a different form today. No one knows exactly how we came to Earth or much of the ancient history as that was lost to us when Atlantis sank under the ocean and our archives were destroyed.”

I looked down to my hands again.

“In the Bermuda Triangle?”

Tayn chuckled. “Not quite.”

“I was being facetious.”

“I know, Mira.”

“Why are you both calling me Mira?”

“The two women that came to us…”

“Yesterday morning?”

“That was three days ago. You have been asleep for the entire time as the transformation unraveled the changes the veil made in you.”

“Three days… Why Mira?”

“The women, they came with news from Atlantis.”

“The one under the ocean.”

Athera nodded. “Try not to interrupt, Mira.”

I nodded. “Right. It is not like I don’t have a billion questions right now. I’ll just listen.”

“Please, bear with us.”

I swallowed and fought the urge to run outside and scream.

Tayn continued. “The women had word from your mother. They provided news and updates on the political situation. Your mother sent them with orders to us to release your transformational veil and begin preparations. Apparently, factions are closing in on our whereabouts and we need to move to a new location.”

“What kind of factions?”

“Your mother is an important person and you represent a serious threat to various groups of Atlanteans. They wanted to put you to death upon your birth, but your mother handed you to us, placed the transformational veil over you, and sent us away to protect you. We travelled some, ultimately coming here to Duckwater once we felt we were safe and not being followed.”

“Like witness protection and you both are Atlantean FBI?”

“Sort of, and no.”

“What’s so important about me?”

“We can’t tell you that.”

I shook my head feeling my long hair glide across my back. “Great. More mysteries. Let’s go back to the Bermuda Triangle, because I think that is where you all lost your minds.” I saw the hurt in their eyes, and I sighed. “Atlantis. The archives were lost. What happened next?”

“Various groups of Atlanteans bitterly fought one another, each blaming the other for the catastrophe. Civil war broke out and four groups ultimately separated to form their own colonies. Your mother is from the Oceanus colony.”

“Let me guess. They are still at war? The colonies?”

“Yes. Peace has been tenuous at times, but war is rekindling again.”

I held up my hand and turned it back and forth.

“I can’t deny that something supernatural happened to me. This isn’t…” I recalled the words of Washaki and paused. “…normal. You told me I wasn’t exactly human.”

“Not supernatural, scientific. Atlanteans have a different set of chromosomes and DNA structure than regular Earth humans. We all have a natural affinity to light energy allowing us to manipulate that form of energy. Using light energy, your atoms and structure were realigned to hide you in plain sight.”

“Light energy…” I glanced at Athera. “Is that what you used when you were fighting me, and I had to wash the dishes and do the laundry?”

“You saw that?”

“I saw… something.”

“Yes. Atlanteans can draw upon light energy to increase their power and speed among other things.”

“You cheated.”

Athera pulled in a breath to start saying something, then paused. “Yes. I guess you could say I did since you cannot tap into light energy yet.”

“Why can’t I use light energy if you say I’m an Atlantean?”

“There are two reasons for that. First, Atlanteans don’t awaken their affinity until they come of age and second, your transformational veil blocked you. The veil made you just like any other human. No doctor would have been able to tell the difference in case you had been in an accident or needed any kind of medical care.”

Tayn leaned forward. “It was never our intention to reveal to you what you were. After you turned eighteen, the veil would have become permanent. The women that came to us brought grave news. After all these years, one of the factions believed they might have picked up the trail of our departure with you. It was your mother’s wish to remove the veil to give you a chance.”

“A chance at what? Life as a girl?”

“A chance at life at all.”

I pulled the robe a little tighter around me, accentuating the shape of my new body. “I’m struggling to see why turning me into a girl gives me life.”

Athera came over and sat next to me. “You were born female, which is why you were veiled as a male to hide you further. Let us assume the veil was not lifted and became permanent. You would have become fully human. If, in that circumstance, an Atlantean faction found you, you would stand no chance against them. As good as a fighter you are, you will never be faster or stronger than a wielder of light energy. The technology and power of Atlanteans is vastly superior to that of humans. They will eventually find you.”

“But, if I was human, wouldn’t I no longer be a threat?”

Athera moved some long hair away from my eyes. “These are not people that think logically when it comes to the threat they believe you pose.”

“The threat you can’t tell me about.”

“We wish we could tell you everything but knowing even small amounts would only put you in more danger and alter the future. There are Atlanteans in this world, not just those that live beneath the seas. If, by chance, you ran into some of them, there are some that could pull that information from you. You can’t trust anyone.”

I stood and moved towards the front door. The window in the door reflected my new face. “So, what happens now?”

“We are moving. We need to go where there are more people so that you can blend in.”

“Blend in?”

Tray stood and smiled weakly. “You will get everything you ever wanted. You’ll go to school, shop, and do whatever any other teenager does… with our protection and guidance, of course.”

I glanced at my reflection again.

“Of course…”

***

I couldn’t remember much of what happened the day before. I was in a state of shock and exhaustion quickly brought me back to bed. I was still confused when I woke. Once again, my alarm failed to wake me. At first, I thought it was a bad dream, but when I rolled out of bed, there was no mistaking that I felt different. Not wrong, just different.

I glanced at the clock and it read just before four in the morning. Turning on the light, I moved to stand before the mirror. I was no longer Conrad. Not even close. I was slightly shorter than I had been, and I estimated I was now five foot eight or nine. I leaned forward to get a closer look at my face. My eyes were what instantly captivated me. I had seen pictures of vividly colored tropical oceans and I could picture the blue-green seas in my eyes. I traced my full lips with my fingertips and a small feminine gasp escaped my lips. They were soft and sensitive. I turned my face from side to side before stepping back.

Athera had said that while I slept for the three days, she travelled to Las Vegas to shop for clothes for me. I opened my closet to find a small selection and my dresser drawer now held a few unmentionable items I never dreamed of wearing before. I found one set of fitness clothes that I set on my bed as I turned towards the bathroom.

The day before, I never went to the bathroom and never even changed out of the nightgown and robe. This day, it was unavoidable as my bladder felt like a watermelon that was being squeezed by too many rubber bands. I reached up and dropped the nightgown to the floor. The mirror in the bathroom beckoned me so strongly I overcame my immediate needs. With another feminine gasp, I told myself to breathe. It took every ounce of willpower to take a breath and slowly turn so that I could see myself fully.

I was breathtaking and scared to death. How would I be able to adjust to this? Get up and get moving! I heard Athera telling me in my head as if I was in another training session. Hesitation and overthinking were mistakes that could kill me in a fight. I recognized I was fighting something outside of my control. With one last glance in the mirror, I forced myself to go to the bathroom and take a shower.

While my movements were the same, how I felt while I moved was different. Being somewhat smaller than I was before, the shower was more spacious and my flexibility was greater. My biggest challenge was my hair. It was long and seemed to take forever to dry.

I stepped out of the bathroom and looked down on the bed at the clothing I had placed there before. Washaki’s words hit me hard. I would get what I wanted and some things I didn’t expect. Slipping on my new undergarments, I shook my head at his words. How had he known?

When I headed into the kitchen, Athera was there with a steaming mug of tea wrapped in her hands as she leaned against the island counter. Either she had not slept well, or she had been waiting for me.

“How are you coping, Mira?”

“Aside from my name sounding wrong, my long hair refusing to dry, and being in a perpetual state of confusion, I guess I would say I am well. Physically I feel good although I’m afraid I lost strength and speed. Mentally… It feels wrong to say I feel comfortable and I cannot stop thinking about how my worldview has changed. Emotionally, I feel vulnerable and unsure of myself as if at any moment I’ll break down and collapse into a puddle right here in the kitchen.”

“I haven’t known anyone that was veiled so young and for so long. When you say it feels wrong to feel comfortable, that is your mind telling you that you should still be Conrad and yet you were always female. It is confusing, but I suspect you will adjust quickly as this is your natural state. If I am honest, I’m surprised you are doing as well as you are. I’ll give you some pointers with your hair and as for strength and speed, you will find out this morning because we are going to train.”

“You are relentless.”

“You need to learn how you move and test your limits. There will be differences in how you fight now. It is vitally important in case we run into one of the factions.”

“I’m a girl now. I’ll not be as good as I was. It’s a fact.”

“Care to make a wager?”

“One where you cheat again? I don’t think so.”

“If you hit me more than once you won’t have to do your studies the rest of the day.”

“No laundry if I don’t?”

“Not at all.”

“Deal.”

“Let’s get you some breakfast then.”

***

It was still below freezing when I stepped outside with Athera. She braided my long hair to keep it mostly out of the way. After stepping through an hour of kata-like moves and positions, warm up, and stretches we were ready to begin sparring.

Athera always grinned when we went to spar and today was no different. “How are you feeling, Mira? Your movements and positions looked perfect. You have amazing flexibility. Are you ready for this?”

“Being smaller and weighing less, I’ll need to focus on my motion to achieve the same power. I’m not feeling awkward and my balance seems better than before.”

Athera tossed me the pair of wooden swords.

“You have one hour to hit me twice to earn your reward.”

As soon as the swords were in my hands, Athera launched her attack. She was merciless and I was forced back with nearly every thrust she made. After only a few minutes, she landed her first hit on my side and stepped back.

“What’s the matter, Mira?”

“I’m scared of being injured.”

“Did that hit hurt you any more than when you were Conrad?”

“No. But you are also holding back.”

“Is that what you think? Do you think I should hold back because you are a woman?”

“I assumed…”

“I don’t hold back in training because an enemy will not hold back. You might not be aware of this, but women have a higher pain threshold than men. Now ready yourself and come at me.”

I moved into my stance and brought my swords up. Athera pushed forward and I gritted my teeth, pressing my own attack.

“Better! You’re faster than this!”

I felt great, stable, and I was it seemed that I was faster than I had been before.

“Come on, Mira! Faster!”

Tayn came out of the house and watched us but I kept my focus on Athera and forced myself to move even quicker. I smiled as she took one step back and with the next thrust, I clipped her shoulder. I stepped back and stared at my hands, lifted my chin, and smiled.

“I can do even better.”

“You’re not worried about getting hurt? You don’t think you are too weak?”

“Maybe you aren’t trying hard enough.”

“Don’t get cocky, Mira. You won’t get another hit on me this morning.”

I grinned. “Challenge accepted.”

I flicked my swords up and rushed her. We fought hard for nearly thirty minutes, neither landing a blow on the other. I felt great. My stance felt more solid than ever before and my speed was astonishing. I saw a flicker of light from Athera and suddenly it felt like I was losing ground. She was hitting harder, and her speed increased.

“Not… fair…”

“You can do it, Mira. Focus on my eyes.”

For a while, she pushed me back before I settled into a rhythm. She pressed harder and faster with more flickers of light. I had to end this quickly. I feinted left but instead of thrusting, I tossed the wooden blade to the ground slightly behind Athera. I rushed forward as she swung to block my feint. I dipped low, blocked her swords with my right arm, then dodged and rolled left, grabbing my dropped sword and swinging it up to catch her right side.

Tayn clapped.

“That was a bold move, Mira.”

Athera smiled and pulled me up off the ground.

“You were a force to be reckoned with. Well done!”

“Even with you cheating.” I grinned.

“Don’t let it go to your head. I only enhanced myself by about ten percent of what I could have. Light energy is very powerful, Mira.”

“I get the afternoon off? That was our deal, right?”

Athera chuckled. “The deal was you would get the afternoon off from your studies. We all need to pack. We leave tomorrow afternoon.”

“I didn’t win anything then. You are sneaky. Where are we moving to?”

“Astoria, Oregon.”

***

Astoria. A city of just over ten thousand people, nearly seventy inches of rain per year, elevation of roughly fifteen feet above sea level, and green, tons of green living things. I stared out the window of the moving truck almost every minute of the two-day trip. I felt like a dried-up sponge taking on water. I could not get enough of each new vista mile after mile. I craned my head to try to see around the next bend in the road. My future beckoned me, and I strained to see what was coming next. Finally, we pulled up to a quaint two-story house with trees and grass, and a view west where I could see miles of water stretching to distant mountains.

We had spent two days packing, leaving many things behind in Duckwater in case we ever needed to return. I hoped I would never have to. We focused on books and essentials, anything personal that could point back to who we were. I didn’t have many clothes since my veil had been removed, but Athera promised me we would go shopping after we arrived and got settled. We spent the last half day wiping down the entire house and cleaning it thoroughly to remove any fingerprints or evidence behind.

I slipped out of the cab of the small moving truck and breathed in a lungful of moist salty air. It smelled heavenly. I stretched and looked up and down the street. Our new home was perched on a slight hill with few other homes nearby. What immediately came to mind was that it was defensible and isolated which is likely why Tayn and Athera had decided upon it. Athera stepped down next to me and hugged me.

“I know I’ll never be your real mother, Mira, but I love you as if you were my very own. I imagine this is all a shock to you still and having to move is never easy.”

I was still in shock over my transformation, but each day was becoming a little easier than the day before. It helped that I still felt like myself even though physically I noticed every nuance of my body. It would take much more time for me to adjust. Emotionally, I was still dealing with… everything. I was not who I thought I was. I was a different gender than I thought I was. My parents were not my parents. I wasn’t even human.

“I’m still struggling with many things, but the move is not one of them. I have never seen so many trees or this much water before. I feel like I could run for days without getting winded or tired. It’s beautiful here.”

Athera smiled mischievously. “We have a space behind the house where we can train. With the lower elevation we might need to increase your training time to get the same results.”

“We have been here five minutes and you’re already talking about training.”

Tayn slipped his arm into the nook of my elbow.

“I have something to show you.”

He led me around the side of the house to a garage. He opened the garage door and held out his arms toward an old pickup truck.

“Ta da!”

“Am I missing something? It’s a truck and by the looks of it, it would fit in well in Duckwater.”

“The difference is that it is yours.”

“Mine?”

Tayn nodded and smiled as I cocked my head to the side. I felt my long hair slide to the side a little.

“Sure, it is old, beat up, rusted, and has great patina, but it runs well, you can’t get a lot of people in it, and it’s sturdy in case you crash it.”

“I could drive… anywhere?”

His smile grew broader as he nodded. “Within reason.”

I threw my arms around him and hugged him tight.

“It’s beautiful!”

Athera stepped up behind us and held out a key. “Why don’t you unlock the house and see our new home, Mira?”

I was certain my eyes were sparkling in that moment. I smiled, grabbed the key, and bounded up the front steps of the house and onto the front covered patio. I paused, turned around and looked out towards the ocean view. With a deep breath and another smile, I turned and unlocked the front door. I pushed the door open and stared at the warm reflection of sunlight coming off the dark-stained polished wooden floors. It was inviting, yet cozy.

“It’s a Craftsman-style house, Mira. The main living area, kitchen, and a bathroom are all on the main floor. Up the stairs there are two master bedrooms. We thought you could take the one on the right. Go on. Check it out.”

I looked towards Tayn and Athera standing behind me. They stood with smiles on their faces and their arms around each other’s waist. I took a step inside, then turned around to face them once more.

“I have been so self-centered lately, angry, and confused. I blamed you both. While I don’t understand everything, I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you how much I love you both.”

I pulled them into a group hug, grinned like a Cheshire cat, and ran into the house. I took in the living room, then moved into the bright, open kitchen, before moving through the dining room and into a room lined with empty bookshelves with comfy leather seats. I let my fingers glide up the polished wooden railings of the stairs and turned right into my new bedroom. The dark wooden floors contrasted against the white-painted furniture. A queen-sized bed with a white, pink-edged comforter looked incredibly comfortable. I stepped forward to a set of French doors and pulled them open. A small deck with a chair overlooked the tidal river delta beyond. The view was breathtaking. My room was perhaps a little too feminine for my tastes, but I wouldn’t complain. Not even for a second.

I stepped back into the room to see Tayn and Athera in the bedroom doorway.

“Will it suffice?”

“It’s amazing! How did you pay for all of this?”

“This has been arranged many years ago. It’s your home. Let us hope the factions don’t find us too soon so that we can enjoy it.”

Tayn sat on the bed and patted a spot next to him. I took the hint and sat down.

“This is by no means a large city, Mira, but you must be careful. It is time we loosen the reins on you. In a few weeks, you will turn eighteen…”

“Wait. My birthday is in November.”

“Your real birthday is March 21 on the spring equinox. To the world, you were born in November. On your desk, you have new identification you will need Monday morning. We need to take a picture of you so we can create your driver’s license and I’ll take you driving a few times before you can use the truck.”

It seemed like every sentence these days challenged my thoughts and emotions. I had just learned my birthday was not my real birthday and only a few weeks away and I would start school in three days.

“So much has changed. I’m really going to school?”

Athera chuckled. “You will be bored silly. Let’s start unpacking if we want to go to dinner tonight and shopping for you tomorrow.”

“We’re going out? To a restaurant?”

“How does pizza sound?”

“I don’t have to beat either of you in training first?”

“Not for tonight’s dinner, Mira. Tomorrow we start your training and studies again so there might be opportunities to win the odd excursion. We still have to keep an eye on you and lay low as much as we can.”

“About training… Can you show me how you use light energy?”

Tayn looked thoughtful.

“What do you think, Athera?”

She nodded. “It’s time. Most Atlanteans are taught since they are young what to expect when they come of age. I think it is also time we use full energy to train.”

“If you only used ten percent before, I won’t stand a chance.”

“No, but it will help you improve and speed up your reflexes so when you come of age, you will be a force to be reckoned with.”

“I don’t understand my place in the world or why I am important enough to veil and hide me. I have never been in a real fight before. I feel disconnected without the why behind it all.”

“We can only hope you will never have a real fight, but if I know anything about Atlantean politics and people, sooner than later you will be need to defend yourself. When that time comes, you must be prepared.”

“I’ll have to take your word on that.”

***

In the middle of unpacking and organizing our things, a truck pulled up and delivered a car. We had always had one in Duckwater, but we left it there in case we needed to return. By the time we finished unloading the moving truck, it was getting late. Tayn drove the moving truck and I rode in the car with Athera. We dropped off the rental then all went together to a pizza restaurant.

My eyes must have been as large as saucers as we entered the restaurant. Since we packed our food to eat along the way on the way here, this was the first time I had ever ate out. Being a Friday evening, the place was almost at capacity. I was torn between running away from the commotion, noise, and the busy atmosphere and staying because the energy and smells were intoxicating.

The hostess led us through the restaurant, and I felt many eyes upon me. It was unnerving especially as I kept imagining Atlantean factions lurking and waiting to find me and kill me for, in my opinion, no good reason because I wasn’t a threat to anyone.

As we walked past a large table with five people about my age, they all stared at me. One, however, his eyes locked onto mine. His dark hair was wavy and down to his shoulders and he had piercing blue eyes. He was handsome, chiseled to perfection and I felt a wave of desire mixed with a touch of longing as I looked upon him. The feeling repulsed me even as I felt heat rise to my face. This all transpired in seconds and I now found myself being led the rest of the way to our table in a complete fog, lost to the cursed ramblings of my brain.

When we sat down, I leaned over the table towards Tayn and Athera and whispered to them.

“Why are people looking at me?”

Tayn laughed.

“This isn’t funny! Do they think I’m an imposter? Do they know who I am even though I don’t? That… That boy back there, he… Am I in danger?”

Athera grasped my hands and offered a sideways glare at Tayn.

“Ignore Tayn. You’re not in danger, Mira. You have lived isolated and away from people. You are possibly the most beautiful young woman I have ever seen. People will stare at you because of your beauty.”

“But… This is so confusing.”

Tayn had stopped laughing and grew serious. “Have you stopped to really take your time and look in a mirror, Mira?”

“It feels like that is all I have done for the past week.”

“No, I mean really look to see yourself as if you were looking at yourself from someone else’s perspective. You are stunning and people will naturally gravitate to you.”

“This is going to sound crazy. But that boy back there. When I looked at him, I…” I felt the heat rise to my cheeks again. “What’s wrong with me?”

Athera grinned. “You mean the desperately handsome, dark haired young man we passed?”

I nodded.

“I didn’t see him. What about him?” She winked at me.

This time it was Tayn that nudged Athera. “Don’t toy with her. This is serious.”

Athera’s smile grew. “If I were your age, I would find him attractive. I mean, I do now, but he is way too young for me.”

“You think… Oh my God! But I cannot find him attractive! I’m… I’m not…”

Athera’s eyes grew soft and compassionate. “You always have been female, just that you were veiled. It is natural what you are feeling. When the veil was lifted, everything has returned as it would have been had you never been veiled at all.”

I pulled back and stared off into space as I fully understood what they were telling me. Oh crap!

“You must be new in town. Because, if you’re not, you must have been living in a dark basement playing video games because I would have noticed you otherwise. Perhaps you’re just visiting?”

I looked up to see a young man standing at our table. He was staring at me with puppy dog eyes. Was I a magnet for the male half of the species? My mouth opened and closed a few times like a freshly caught sea bass.

Thankfully Athera saved me.

“We just moved to town today.”

“Really? You’ll love it here! What’s your name?”

He continued to stare at me and ignore Athera and Tayn. Someone that must have worked at the restaurant stopped and smacked the young man on his shoulder.

“Stop ogling the customers. We’re bursting at the seams here. Take their order.”

“Oh. Yes! My name is Paul and I’ll be your server tonight. What can I get for you all? Can I start you out with something to drink?”

Tayn ordered for us. “We will have a large salami and mushroom pizza and three waters. Thank you.”

Paul wrote that on a small pad and glanced back up at me. “Will you be going to Astoria High School?”

I looked across the table to Athera hoping my pleading eyes would help me from looking like a complete idiot. I mouthed the words “Help me” to her.

Athera smiled and replied. “Yes. Mira will be starting on Monday.”

He smiled. “Mira, is it? I’ll watch for you. I’ll even give you a tour.”

I finally found my voice. “Thank you, Paul. That would be kind of you.”

If his smile could become any larger his face would have disappeared.

“Awesome!”

“Paul!”

“Oh. Yes! I’ll bring those waters right out for you.”

He hustled off as I put my head in my hands. Duckwater didn’t seem like such a bad place anymore.

“You’ll get used to it, sweetheart.”

I looked up. “Did you really just call me that?”

Athera grinned. “It’s a term of endearment.”

“Awesome. Just awesome.”

***

I was exhausted by the time I got to bed. Not physically, but mentally. Being a part of the world even for a short time was making me question if my desire for normalcy was well considered.

The next morning, I got out of bed and stood before my mirror once again but this time I took a hard look at myself. I saw beyond the changes to try to picture what others saw. I was, indeed, beautiful, and I wasn’t thinking of myself in a vain or boastful way. I was tall for a woman, lean, fit, and yet shapely. My long golden hair was full and silky, and it framed my face like a golden aura. I slipped my hair behind my right ear, and I paused to contemplate my action. It was feminine. My posture was excellent, and my years of training had defined my muscles giving me a distinct hourglass figure. A figure that stood or sat like any other woman. Perhaps this was the undoing of the veil, but it gave me confidence to think I didn’t look or move like a male in a female body.

After getting ready for the day, I headed downstairs and met up with Tayn and Athera for breakfast.

“How are you holding up, Mira?”

“You ask me this every day. I have moments where I feel incredible and… right. Almost as if I’m more comfortable as Mira than Conrad. I notice everything about my change, including how my hair feels against my back and how my weight distribution is different than before. But there are moments I struggle with my emotions and I have daydreams that I’m lying in a coma somewhere and all of this was nothing more than a fantasy. Does that make sense to you?”

“It does. I would say it’s normal except that I cannot put myself into your shoes and understand everything you are feeling. Tayn and I have been talking. I don’t think it would be harmful to educate you on Atlantean history. At some point, you will be confronted by others like you and having some knowledge would be beneficial. We will, of course, need to stay clear of topics such as your mother, father, politics, and faith as it is best for you to not know of these things.”

“Can you at least tell me why I shouldn’t learn about them?”

Athera looked down at her hands briefly. “If you knew everything, it might change who you are and what you do putting yourself and many others at risk. It’s difficult for us to withhold this information, but we know you’ll do better without the burdens such knowledge would place on you. At least until more things come to pass including what we really wanted to help you understand more about. Your coming of age.”

I leaned forward as Tayn began to share.

“There is a tradition in many Atlantean colonies to send their children to human schools when they turn fifteen and have them stay topside until they become twenty-one. This is considered a rite of passage for the children and gives them knowledge and opportunities they wouldn’t normally have access to. Many Atlanteans interact with humans on a regular basis, some even form corporations and work here on the surface. Our knowledge and technology give us an advantage, and many use that to lord over and benefit from our human counterparts. What they may not be able to control in the colonies, they can amass wealth and fame above the surface of the water and Atlanteans that have lived here have the benefit of choosing careers above or below the water.”

“Do most live their lives in the colonies after they turn twenty-one?

“Most do. Atlanteans and humans can’t interbreed, and they often seek their soul mates within their own colony.”

“Soul mates? That is more mythology. People don’t have soul mates.”

Athera laughed. “If you meet yours, we won’t remind you of your skepticism. You’ll know without a doubt, but you cannot find your soul mate until after you turn eighteen and your affinity has been unlocked. However, these days, finding a soul mate is rare. Very rare. Maybe only one in a million Atlanteans find theirs. It used to be more common, but we think it has changed because any Atlantean could be your soul mate but with the isolation of the colonies it makes it more difficult.”

“One in a million. Just how many Atlanteans are there?”

“A rough estimate would be twenty million.”

“That would mean there are roughly ten couples. Why do people even bother looking for their soul mates?”

“It is a combination of many things. Tradition, mostly. Atlanteans have our own form of marriage and divorce and infidelity are not lawful. Thus, if you don’t search for your soulmate and you marry only to find them, you would be stuck not able to be with the one person you were meant to be with.”

“Good thing I’m not ready for my soulmate then. Tell me more about turning of age.”

“At the age of eighteen, Atlanteans awaken their affinity for using light energy. Some, from older bloodlines, also have affinities for one of the other elements. When Atlantis sank and the wars broke out, Atlanteans formed four nations. Oceanus is the largest, then there is Arcellos and Eretone, the warrior colonies, and finally Capases, the colony that considers itself neutral in all things. All the colonies kept to themselves and the varied genetics of the people from those colonies reduced over time. While we no longer have the history or records, it was rumored that most Atlanteans could harness light energy as well one other element of earth, water, air, or fire. Few Atlanteans these days have an additional affinity and none since Atlantis sank have had the water affinity.”

“So then, what happens when I turn eighteen? Do I fall asleep for three days? Do my real parents show up and bring cake and ice cream? Perhaps I turn on like a light bulb.”

Athera looked over at Tayn. He cocked his head to the side.

“It is not like when your veil was removed. That process took a toll on your energy as your body realigned to its natural state. Have you noticed when you spar you feel faster?”

“I thought it might be because my reach wasn’t as great.”

“That would only account for a small fraction. You will be naturally stronger and faster than your human counterparts and by removing the veil those strengths became yours again. It was how you beat Athera. The best way for me to describe what it is like to awaken your affinity for light energy is to describe how a microwave oven works. Microwave energy matches the vibrational frequency of water molecules. In a similar way, Atlanteans absorb light energy and can store it within themselves. The strength of the abilities to store, absorb, and transmute that energy differs for each Atlantean. Some can store more than others. Some can replenish themselves quicker, and others can direct and use the energy faster giving it more power. When you awaken, it will feel like an infusion of power and energy.”

“How will I know what my capabilities are?”

“We will test you, but we believe you will be strong with both large storage and quick replenishment abilities.”

“That is because of my bloodline?”

“Bloodlines… yes.”

“Is that what makes me a threat?”

“Somewhat, but it is far more complicated than just strength of light affinity.”

I knew I would get no more information about why I was a threat, so I shifted my questions in a new direction. “What about both of you? Do you have other elemental affinities? How strong are your light abilities?”

Tayn shook his head. “I don’t.”

Athera held up a knife and cut into her palm until it began to bleed. Before my eyes, the wound healed itself. “I have earth affinity which grants me energy manipulation of physical objects. That includes healing. Both Tayn and I can store much light energy and we are strong with the ability to use it, but we both take a greater time to replenish ourselves should we expend it. In a war when battles are extended, we can last much longer, but we need longer recovery times.”

Tayn glanced at his watch. “I think that is enough for today. Mira, you need to change into your dress for sparing practice today.”

I had avoided the dress since my veil was removed. “Why?”

Athera glanced at Tayn.

He shrugged. “Don’t look at me.”

Athera sighed. “I know this will be another adjustment for you, Mira. There may come a time when you will need to travel to one of the colonies. While female warriors wear a variant of male armor, non-warrior females wear dresses. It is the acceptable culture. We need you to wear them three or four days a week so that you can get used to them and learning to fight in them is imperative.”

Inwardly I cringed but the handsome face of the boy from the restaurant came to mind and I flushed with warmth. Over the past few days, I had steadfastly refused to disclose I was enjoying being female and my dreams had been subliminally directing me to let go of everything I was before my veil was removed.

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

“If it is needed, then I should get used to them.”

Athera and Tayn sat with stunned looks on their faces but they were pleased by my easy acquiescence.

***

Like a spoonful of cod liver oil, sometimes the best thing to do was to not think about it and gulp it down before your brain tells you it will taste terrible. When I got to my room, I didn’t stop to ponder and quickly changed into a blue, knee-length dress. I twisted my hips from side to side watching how the dress moved and how it accentuated my feminine body. It felt like a cool breeze on a warm, summer day. I walked around my room, spun a little, and sat down a few times making sure I was aware of how it moved. I approached the bed, sat down, and pulled my legs under the fabric of the dress. The dress was extremely comfortable, and it made me feel beautiful.

I tried to hide my smile as I made my way down the stairs and into the back yard. Athera and Tayn were waiting for me. If anything, I was worried their expressions might cause me to feel embarrassed, but they simply smiled and nodded. I guessed they didn’t want to make a big thing of it for fear of scaring me off.

Athera tossed me my swords and stood just outside of my reach. “You have been practicing using light energy for years, even though you have not awakened yet.”

I watched as she performed the shield motion, but instead of empty air, a visible, albeit slightly transparent shield formed in front of her.

“Hit it with your sword.”

I was skeptical, so I merely tapped my wooden blade against the light. The block of shimmering light was as solid as a piece of granite.

“Can I touch it?”

“Yes.”

I tentatively placed my hand on the shield, knocked it a few times with my knuckles, then leaned into it and pushed. It was solidly in place.

“Is it connected to you or is it only here where it was formed?”

“I can direct it to move with me like a normal shield attached to my arm or I can fix it in place.”

“What else can you use light energy for?”

Athera grinned. She dropped the shield and formed two swords in her hands made of light. “Let me show you. Ready yourself.”

For the next hour, Athera pummeled me with her swords of light. She used her shield to block me. She pushed me back with light when I got too close to her, and she used it to enhance her speed and power. At the end of our training, I fully understood why I wouldn’t survive if I was confronted by an Atlantean without having access to my own light energy.

I was disappointed in myself for not doing better and the realization I was little more than a gnat to Athera when she used her full power lowered my confidence.

“I was useless.”

Athera hugged me. “No, Mira. You did very well. Don’t let this erode your confidence. I have fought and trained for over one hundred years and I know you could beat many Atlanteans even without your affinity.”

“You said you have trained for over one hundred years? How is that possible?”

“The normal life span of an Atlantean is around two hundred and fifty years. Did we not tell you this?”

“No. Do you know that each night I go to bed with a headache with the revelations of the day spinning through my brain? I feel like everything I have learned has been a waste.”

“What you’re contending with is new information that is disrupting your worldview.”

“It is like being told aliens and UFOs exist and there are prehistoric animals running around the core of the earth.”

Tayn’s eyes focused on mine. They held steady. “They do exist.”

His expression was unreadable until he burst out laughing. I pointed my finger at him.

“Not funny!”

He tried to look a little contrite before he burst out laughing again. “It’s a little funny.”

Athera took the wooden swords and put them away. “Your dress still looks clean. We should go shopping before Tayn tries to make any more jokes.”

I nodded and glanced at Tayn who was still chuckling to himself. “I guess his jokes would be funnier if they were from this century.”

Athera and I burst out laughing at the pseudo-wounded look on Tayn’s face.

“Don’t forget to pick up Mira’s uniform plaid skirt and top for tomorrow.”

I spun around. “What? You have got to be kidding me. I have to wear a uniform?”

Tayn bent over and slapped his knee. “Got you again, even with my hundred-year-old humor!”

I was about to retaliate when Athera pulled on my arm.

“Don’t let him get to you, Mira.”

“He’s not getting to me, but he does have something coming to him.”

Tayn laughed even harder. “Bring it on. I’m here all week.”

***

Although I was taught how to drive when we lived in Duckwater, I never had an official license and I only drove on our property. I suspected that Tayn and Athera wanted to keep me out of the system and they were getting me a fake driver’s license. Since that wasn’t ready and Tayn and I only drove a little since we arrived in Astoria, my only option was to walk to school. I wanted to drive, but no amount of cajoling on my part would sway either of them. It wasn’t a big loss since the walk was short and the views incredible.

Athera and I had purchased four dresses, a jacket, some tops, jeans, gym clothes for school, shoes, a few skirts, and a swimsuit. Today, I wore one of my dresses hoping to make a good impression on the teachers. I had a backpack to carry any books I might need to bring home for homework.

My stomach fluttered like the monarch migration as I stepped up to the front entrance of the school. It was busy with cars pulling in, students being dropped off, and groups of teenagers milling about together. The school was set back some from the main road and nestled into thick green forest. This would be considered a small school, but it still felt overwhelming.

“Mira!”

Paul, the waiter from the pizza restaurant, was waving frantically to get my attention. Everyone looked at Paul, then followed his eyes to me. By the time I made it to the front doors, practically everyone was staring at me.

“You made it!”

“Thanks for offering to give me a tour, Paul.”

“You remember my name. By the way, I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you that you look amazing. A tad overdressed for this place, but I don’t think anyone will complain. Has anyone asked you to the prom yet?”

“Prom? What is a prom?”

“You don’t know?”

“This is the first school I have ever gone to. I don’t know what a prom is.”

“You must be one of those homeschool kids from Utah.”

“No, I’m not from Utah. You were going to tell me what a prom is.”

“The prom is the end of year dance in May.”

“I can safely say no one has asked me to go to the prom yet.”

“I’m certain you’ll be asked soon. I assume you need to go to the office to get your schedule?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll show you the way. Follow me.”

Paul had a ton of energy and pushed through the throngs of people to create a path for me. He led me to the office and opened the door.

“Mrs. Rathensburg? This is Mira…”

Paul turned to wait for me to complete his sentence for him. I offered up my fake last name that was on my identification. “Davis.”

Paul nodded. “Mira Davis. She’s new here. I was wondering if you have her schedule and locker assignment. I can at least show her to her homeroom class.”

The older lady pushed her glasses up and looked me over. “Identification, Mira?”

“Oh. Yes. Just one second.” I fumbled with my backpack and produced my identification.

“Very good. I don’t have transcripts from your previous school on file. Can you have your parents send them with you to school tomorrow?”

“Uhm. Sure.”

She handed me a schedule and I took a minute to peruse it. Paul leaned over and glanced at it as well.

“I see you have homeroom, history, math, science, then English, and home economics. Somehow, I didn’t picture you as a home economics kind of girl. We have a couple of classes together. I’ll see you for math and science. That’s good as it means I can lead you to the cafeteria after science and you won’t have to try and find me.”

If anything, Paul’s puppy dog eyes had only become bigger. “Oh. Okay.”

“I’ll take her from here Mrs. Rathensburg.”

The woman didn’t even look up from her desk. Paul opened the door for me, and I followed him until we came to a classroom.

“This is your homeroom. You come here every morning before you head to classes. Ask anyone where your next class is, but the school is small, and it should be easy to find. I’m glad you’re here, Mira.”

“Thank you for helping me.”

“No problem! I’ll see you in math and science class.”

“Great.”

Paul dallied a bit before he headed to his class. I was a little relieved to see him go as I was feeling like a marshmallow pressed between a pair of graham crackers. Smothered.

I checked my schedule again, looked at the sign on the door, then poked my head into the class.

“Ah! Class, this must be our new student.” The teacher glanced at a piece of paper then turned to me. “Come in and join us. You must be Mira Davis.”

I was nervous as I looked over the class of students. Sitting in the back corner were the same five people that were at the restaurant. The dark-haired one was staring at me with the same intensity he had before. Everyone was staring at me, but I only noticed his purposeful, penetrating gaze.

“Mira?”

I was startled out of my staring contest by the teacher.

“Yes, sir?”

“Why don’t you tell us where you’re from.”

My backstory was something Tayn, Athera and I had worked on during our long drive out here.

“I just moved here from Hendersonville, North Carolina.”

“What brought you to Astoria of all places?”

I glanced at the dark-haired boy again. “I heard the pizza was good.”

Everyone laughed.

“Well, it’s good to have you among us. Has anyone been assigned to you to show you your locker and the school?”

“No, sir. Yes, sir. It’s complicated. I don’t think I was officially assigned anyone, but Paul from the pizza restaurant volunteered. He helped me this morning.”

The dark-haired boy’s eyes narrowed slightly.

“We have a few minutes before classes start. Would someone like to show Mira to her locker and where her first class is?”

Every boy, except the dark-haired one put up his hand. One girl that was sitting close to him put up hers. The dark-haired boy stared at her and she looked angrily back at him.

“Claire. Please show Mira where her locker is.”

Claire smiled, grabbed her books, and I felt a hint of anger as she looked at me. She grabbed my arm and pulled me from the class.

“Come on, Mirabelle.”

“It’s just Mira.”

We stepped into the hall and she snatched my schedule from my hands.

“Don’t get any ideas. Lucas is mine.”

“Excuse me?”

“Lucas, the boy you were drooling over. I’ll rip your hair out if you even speak to him.”

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about, but I wouldn’t worry if I were you.”

“I guess you’re one of those all feminine cheerleader types that avoid confrontation. You look as dumb as a bedpost, and why did you wear that hideous dress?”

I wanted to punch her. “Are you going to help me find my locker or did you volunteer just to insult someone you never met before and know nothing about?”

She pointed down the hall. “It is really simple as long as you can count higher than ten, which I doubt. The lockers are numbered in sequential order. Do you understand what sequential means?”

“I think your overly tight shirt is constricting blood flow to your brain. Sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest you’re dressed as a prostitute.”

“You are so dead!”

Bells rang and students emptied the classrooms rushing back and forth. I took my schedule back just as Lucas stepped into the hallway.

“You didn’t get very far, Claire. Maybe you can introduce me.”

Claire grabbed Lucas’ arm and pulled him away while mouthing “You’re dead!” to me. Overall, it seemed like an impressive start to my dream of going to public school.

***

Apparently, new kids at school were targets of teachers to be asked questions. By the end of the morning, I checked and double-checked my class schedule to confirm I wasn’t in remedial or lower grade classes as everything they were teaching was ridiculously easy. They were teaching things I had learned five or six years earlier. By my estimation so far, Tayn and Athera had been correct. School was going to be very boring and with the male population hovering close to me and the female population wanting to poison me, I doubted I had missed much from the social interaction scene.

For the last two classes, Paul insisted I sit near him and walked me between classes. He couldn’t stop talking about the school, classes, or how brilliant I was in correctly answering all the questions posed of me. It was cute, in a way, but it felt like Paul was trying to make sure I didn’t get to know anyone else.

“Turn right to go into the cafeteria. Everyone gets lunch here so you can choose whatever you like. My personal favorites are…”

I stopped listening when I saw the groups of students staring at me. It was bad enough in the classes, but with most of the school in one place, I felt painfully exposed. We came here so I could blend in, but that didn’t feel like it was happening.

“…avoid the mystery meat there and there. Wednesdays are pizza days; Thursdays are spaghetti days…”

I followed Paul in the line, grabbed a tray and selected a few items that looked interesting. After completing the food line, we turned to find a place among the groups and cliques of people. I saw Claire and Lucas with the other three from their group sitting in the back corner.

Paul was trying to steer me away to another table.

“What about that table in the back. I recognize a few of the students from my homeroom class.”

“You don’t want to sit with them, Mira. No one sits with them.”

“Are they diseased?”

“Worse. They keep to themselves and everyone knows to stay away.”

“They can’t be that bad.”

“You should sit over here with me.”

“How about I sit with you tomorrow. I think that the one boy there is named Lucas. He was in several of my classes this morning. And Claire… She wasn’t very friendly this morning.”

Paul’s smile shifted to a frown and I could see he was crestfallen. He was being kind to me, but I wanted to get to the bottom of Claire’s threats and branch out a little to get to know more people. It wasn’t like I was going to steal Lucas away from her and I would rather not make enemies on the first day of school.

“Tomorrow then.”

I gently placed a hand on Paul’s arm. “Thank you. You’ve been so kind and generous with your time. I appreciate it.”

He smiled again. “If I don’t see you later today, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“For sure.”

I walked over to Lucas and Claire’s table. Claire glared at me.

“What are you doing here?”

I smiled. “I saw there was an empty seat and I would be remiss if I didn’t thank you for your help this morning. I doubt I would have been able to find my locker without you telling me they were numbered in sequential order.”

Her eyes narrowed. “That seat is taken.”

“I only wanted a chance to meet some of my homeroom classmates. Sorry to disturb you all.”

“The seat isn’t taken. Feel free to eat with us.”

I sat down and suspected Claire kicked Lucas under the table.

“Thank you. I’m Mira, by the way.”

With a dark look given to Claire, Lucas turned to me and extended his hand. “I’m Lucas. You’ve met Claire. Next to her is Cassie, Jake, and last, but not least, Basil.”

“It’s very nice to meet all of you. On my first night in town, I think I saw all of you at the pizza restaurant. Do you always sit together?”

Jake, a handsome, blonde-haired young man with a touch of aloofness about him answered for the group.

“We stick together. Astoria isn’t known for being welcoming to outsiders like us.”

“Outsiders? Are you also new to Astoria?”

“We’ve lived here a few years. You have courage and spunk to sit with us.”

“I didn’t know I needed courage to sit down and eat lunch.”

“Courage would only be required if you weren’t stupid.” Claire had to get her jab in.

Basil’s eyes hadn’t left me even though they were less intense than Lucas’. “Ignore Claire. She doesn’t like the idea of outsiders in our group. We have a good thing going together and we watch each other’s backs. Other students assume our actions are nefarious.”

Cassie reached over and grabbed Basil’s hand and winked at him. “It’s nice to have new blood in town and you’re welcome to join us any time, Mira. Mira is a beautiful name, by the way. Were you aware that Mira means ocean in Sanskrit, destiny in Greek, and princess in Arabic?”

“No. I wasn’t aware. I’ve always thought the name unique and I feel it suits me.”

“It also means beautiful.”

I met Lucas’ eyes once again and felt a slight shiver run down my spine. I averted my eyes to look anywhere else.

Claire grit her teeth. “You never did say why you came to Astoria.”

I bit back my initial reply about needing to learn the fine art of locker locating from a tramp. “My parents can work anywhere there’s Internet and they wanted us to get away from the east coast. Astoria is a beautiful place. I’m looking forward to seeing the sites.”

Basil chuckled. “You must be a Goonie.”

“A what?”

“The Goonies. The movie that was filmed here in Astoria. Pirates, treasure, hey you guys!”

“Never heard of it.”

Cassie seemed to be the opposite of Claire in every way as she smiled at me. “That’s something you’ll have to remedy, Mira. One simply cannot live in Astoria without a complete understanding of the Goonies.”

Jake growled. “If I hear the truffle shuffle one more time, I think I’ll throw up.”

“Tell us about yourself, Mira.”

Lucas’ question had me focusing on his good looks again. I found it difficult to stare into his eyes especially with Claire ready to breathe fire.

“Not much to tell, really. What would you like to know?”

“Where did you go to school?”

“I was schooled at home. This is the first time I have been in a public school.”

“Why were you homeschooled?”

“As I mentioned earlier, my parents work from home. It was easy for them to direct my schooling while working.”

Basil jumped in with the next question. “What are your hobbies?”

I had to think about this one. I didn’t want to lie too often so that I could keep track of them and stay consistent, but this wasn’t something we discussed at home as part of a backstory.

“I like to read.”

Claire huffed. “I would have expected you to have a hobby of making moonshine and inbreeding with your brothers.”

It wasn’t well thought out. My tongue moved before my brain overruled it. “Is that what happened to you, Claire?”

Claire launched herself at me over the table. I saw a flicker of light that I may have imagined. She was fast, but I was faster and simply leaned back as she fell across the table landing in my chocolate pudding. That was enough to put a damper on things. People across the cafeteria were laughing at her. I immediately felt bad for her.

I raised my voice so people around us could here. “I’m so sorry, Claire. I’m a clumsy oaf.”

Claire’s anger was so tangible, you could cut it with a knife. Her eyes darted back and forth at the people staring at us. She pulled back slowly. “You should be sorry. That was clumsy. I need to go to my locker and change my top.”

She stood and took a few paces towards the door.

I didn’t know what came over me as I whispered to her. “In case you get lost, the lockers are numbered sequentially.”

She growled and slammed into the door.

Cassie tried to smooth things over. “Claire is usually very nice. Maybe she would warm up to you if we got together for a girl’s night out.”

Jake chuckled. “Claire and nice are two words that don’t belong in the same sentence together. You’re fast, Mira.”

Basil smiled. “And by the look of your legs and arms, you work out. I’m sure your hobbies include more than reading.”

Cassie smacked his arm.

Basil shrugged and grinned. “What? Her legs are on display and I was merely positing a theory.”

Here I was trying to blend in, and I was feeling exposed. I stood and Lucas stood at the same time. “I’m really very sorry about Claire. I shouldn’t have said those things to her.”

“Nonsense. She doesn’t normally have any competition and she rightly deserved what she got. I think you might be the first person to ever face her and come away unscathed. She’ll come around.”

I took a quick glance at the others. They were staring between me and Lucas as if something were wrong. When I turned to face Lucas again, I was momentarily lost and fumbled for words.

“It was nice meeting you all.”

Lucas smiled. “Feel free to sit with us anytime.”

Cassie’s mouth hung open.

“Thank you.”

I snuck out the nearest door and paused on the far side to take a deep breath.

***

“How was school today, Mira?”

Tayn and Athera looked like they had been sitting on the couch waiting for me to come home.

“You were both right about so many things.”

Athera pointed to a spot on the couch. “Do tell. It’s not often Tayn is right about something.”

“I’ll have you know, I’m right about many things.”

I sat down and leaned back. “What they teach… is so basic, I was bored, just like you said I would be.”

“And the socialization? How did that go?”

“It was exhausting. I was greeted by Paul from the pizza place and he fawned over me the entire day. Then there was Claire… She was so mean and rude to me telling me she was going to rip my hair out if I even spoke to Lucas.”

Athera leaned forward. “Who is Lucas?”

“The other boy from the pizza restaurant.”

“Oh. Oh! The one that should be on the cover of a magazine or two.”

“Yes. That one. He’s in several of my classes.”

“This is getting good, Mira. Tell us more.” Athera grinned.

“Claire was very mean, and I sort of got her angrier with me.”

Tayn chuckled. “Did you fight her?”

“No. Maybe some verbal sparring. She did try to attack me when I sat at the table with her, Lucas, Cassie, Basil, and Jake. She sort of landed in my pudding. I think I might be paranoid, but I thought she might have used a little light energy.”

“She what?”

“To speed her attack, but I must be mistaken.”

Tayn grew serious. “What were their names again?”

“Lucas, Claire, Jake, Cassie, and Basil.”

“I think it’s best to stay clear of them for now.”

“But…” I pictured Lucas in my mind and bit my lower lip. “Of course. Am I in danger?”

“I doubt it. This is just a precaution.”

“Anything else interesting?”

“I made cupcakes.”

Tayn smiled and rubbed his stomach. “I knew putting you in home economics would be good for me. You have them with you?”

“You signed me up for cooking class?”

“You should learn to cook. It is a very useful skill. You said you have cupcakes?”

I nodded and pulled two out from my backpack. I handed one each of them. Athera tasted hers and smiled.

“It’s delicious, Mira. Well done!”

Tayn bit into his and spat it out all over the coffee table. I doubled over with laughter.

“I might have used too much salt in that batch. Sorry, Tayn.”

I stood and giggled as Athera licked her lips and took another bite in front of Tayn. “Before I forget, they want a copy of my transcripts. What are we going to do?”

Tayn grumbled. “I’ll make something up. Definitely an F in home economics.”

***

Aside from death-dagger glares from Claire, the following two days were uneventful. Wednesday afternoon, I was about to head home when I walked past the open doors of the gymnasium. I stopped to watch in fascination as two people were fencing.

I stepped inside, sat on the bleachers, and watched closely. I had never seen fencing before in person. My fighting training touched on the basics, but the padding, masks, and balled points of the foils were something I had only read about. On one hand, I giggled about the protection, on the other, I was fascinated.

After a few minutes of back and forth, one of the combatants gave a flourish and connected to the breast of his opponent. I stood and clapped, drawing attention from the two fencers. With a swift move, the winner removed his mask and shook out his dark hair. He spun the mask around and bowed at the waist to me.

Jake was his opponent. “Nicely done, Lucas.”

Lucas shook his hand and stepped closer to the bleachers. “You’re a fan of fencing?”

“You’re both fantastic, but that move you made at the end. It was brilliant!”

“Perhaps you would like to give it a try?”

“Could I?”

Jake shook his head. “Not a good idea, Lucas.”

“I’ll go easy on Mira.”

I looked over at Jake. “Please?”

He nodded and helped me with the padded protection and mask.

“Do you know the rules, Mira?”

“Don’t get hit and hit the other guy?”

Lucas laughed. “That is about it but strikes only count on the pad. Be careful. No thrusts to the face, extremities, or below the belt. Please, especially on the last one.”

I giggled. We paired off against each other and put our masks on. I was grateful I wore my jeans as my dress wouldn’t work as well for fencing.

“Start slow. Ready?”

I glanced around. The rest of their group except for Claire had showed up. They sat in the bleachers. Turning my gaze back to Lucas, I nodded.

“Ready. Salute.”

Lucas made a few painfully slow attacks, but I was there for each of his moves. Over the next five minutes, we moved faster and faster. I was grinning from ear to ear as I felt in my element. The foils were much lighter than my practice swords, but that made the pace even faster. I moved to press my attack and Lucas took a step back.

“You’ve done this before.” He whispered.

“No. Not fencing. This is my first time.”

Basil laughed from the bleachers. “Stop playing around, Lucas. You can’t let her beat you. Your ego wouldn’t handle it.”

Lucas tried the same move on me as he had on Jake and I held firm and blocked him. Frustrated, he moved quicker than before and tried to push me back, but I didn’t budge. Fifteen minutes in and neither of us had hit each other. A flicker of light caught my eye and suddenly I was being pressed back. One, two, three steps before I gritted my teeth and lunged forward with my own burst of speed. There were gasps from the growing crowd, but I felt a need to end this.

Lucas lunged. I grabbed his wrist with my left hand, pulled him towards me, dropped my hip low, and used his momentum to roll him over my hip and shoulder to the mats on the ground. I pressed the tip of my foil against his breast.

Lucas removed his mask and his body shook from laughter. “That was against the rules, but I will concede the point. Where did you learn to fight like that?”

I shrugged and offer a hand to pull him up. “It’s just a hobby.”

He held my hand briefly to keep me close to him. “You fight well beyond just a hobby. I can’t believe you never fenced before. What do you normally train with?”

I bit my lip and looked for an escape route, but I couldn’t just slip away. “Wooden swords.”

Lucas dropped my hand and I took off the mask just as the rest of the group surrounded us.

Jake grabbed my padded chest protector and pushed me, so my back was against the wall. “Who are you?”

“You know who I am.” I squirmed in his grip.

“You’re not some home-schooled girl from North Carolina. You’ve been trained to fight. No one beats Lucas. No one.”

I struggled and pushed back some, but he held me firm. “Let me go. I do believe omission is not the same as deceiving or lying. Yes, I train in fighting techniques.”

Lucas had his hand on Jake’s arm. “Jake. She’s fine.”

Jake’s hands dropped and Cassie threw her arms around me giving me a giant hug.

“You’re amazing, girl!”

Basil grinned. “I never saw that coming. Even better than a Goonie, Mira.”

Jake backed up and grabbed Lucas’ arm to pull him away. Lucas shrugged him off. “Lucas! We need to talk.”

“Not now, Jake. We will.”

Jake stormed out of the gymnasium just as Claire came in.

“What’s going on?” Then she saw me getting out of the fencing gear. “You! What the hell are you doing here?”

Basil laughed. “You missed it, Claire. Mira just tagged Lucas in fencing.”

“Apparently, I cheated. I wasn’t aware I couldn’t throw the person to the ground.”

“Out!” Claire stamped her foot and pointed to the door. “Get out of here before I gouge your eyes out!”

“Claire, don’t be that way.”

“Shut it, Basil!”

Ignoring Claire’s outburst, I turned to Lucas. “Thank you for letting me try this. I should be going.” Claire reminded me of an outdoor grill as smoke and steam were practically coming from her ears. I curtseyed towards her. “My queen.”

Cassie held Claire back as I left the gymnasium.

“I’m going to kill her!”

Then I heard something odd.

“Stupid human bitch.”

***

“I’m blowing it. I’m trying to be me, but it feels like being me just brings unwanted attention. I’m not blending in.”

I told Tayn and Athera what had happened, and they seemed sympathetic.

“We can’t ask you to be anything other than yourself, Mira. You’re competitive and confident. Even if you tried to tone things down, I’m afraid you would stand out.”

Tayn seemed more concerned. “You said you thought you saw light energy being used by Lucas and before with Claire’s outburst… I did some digging. I think all five are Atlanteans. Claire seems to think you’re human, but from what you told us, I wonder if Jake and possibly Lucas might believe you are like them. Assuming my research was correct, all of them are registered as being from Oceanus. I recognize a few of their ancestral names. Lucas is from an ancient bloodline.”

“Am I registered somewhere?”

“You were never registered so they can’t dig for information on you. You’re safe until you turn eighteen. Without special technology or access to your blood, they can’t tell definitively you are not human.”

The doorbell rang and we all looked at each other.

Athera sent me into my room as Tayn stood next to the door. I laid down on the ground and peeked down the stairs. Athera opened the door and I gasped. Lucas was standing there.

“How can I help you, young man?”

“I’m Lucas Arsipas from Mira’s school. I was wondering if I could speak with Mira.”

It all happened so fast. Tayn reached around the corner, grabbed Lucas, and pulled him to the ground with a knife to his throat.

“No!” I rushed downstairs.

Tayn looked at me, then Lucas. I was biting my lower lip again.

“Don’t hurt him, please. This is my fault!”

Tayn leaned down to Lucas’ ear. “We have some talking to do. If you so much as twitch, I will run you through. Nod if you agree.”

“Mira, get yourself a real blade.”

“But…”

“Now, Mira.”

I rushed through the house to a hidden storage room and grabbed a sword. By the time I got back to the living room, Lucas was just being pushed down onto the couch.

“Talk, Lucas. Who else is with you? What do you want with Mira?”

Lucas looked from Tayn to Athera. “I came alone. I know you both. You disappeared years ago. Tayn and Athera, Oceanus’…”

Tayn’s hand covered his mouth. “Mira. I need you to go get a pizza.”

“But…”

“Take your truck and some money and go get a pizza. By the time you get back, we should have reached an understanding with Lucas.”

“Please! Don’t hurt him.”

“If he agrees to everything, there will be no need to hurt him. Go on, Mira.”

I looked at Lucas as tears welled up in my eyes. There was a connection there at least on my end. Tayn removed his hand.

“It’s all right, Mira. I won’t do anything to hurt you or them.”

I looked at each of them one by one. “I don’t understand why you need privacy to talk to him.”

Athera pulled me aside. “Tayn and I are bound by an oath to not tell you everything until after you come of age. What happens when you do, will determine the path we take.”

“Fine. I’ll go, but we’re going to have a serious talk after I come of age.”

With one last look at the three of them, I went through the kitchen and out to the garage. By the time I got to the pizza restaurant, I received a text message to add two more pizzas. It was at least an hour by the time I got home with three pizzas. I opened the door to hear Lucas talking.

“She needs to know, Tayn.”

All eyes turned to me. All eyes included Tayn and Athera that were walking around the living room and Lucas, Jake, Basil, Claire, and Cassie sitting on the couches.

Claire sputtered something under her breath, but there was something new hidden behind her eyes as she tipped her head slightly towards me.

“What’s going on? Why is everyone here?”

Athera took the pizzas from me. “The rest of them arrived shortly after you left.”

Tayn wrapped his arm around my shoulders. “They’re going to help protect you. Aren’t you?”

They all nodded. Claire’s nod seemed somewhat reluctant and Basil was looking like he was about to pass out.

“We’re all from Oceanus. We came to Astoria a few years ago. Tayn and Athera convinced us it was in our own best interests to make sure you staff safe.”

I crossed my arms over my chest. “By telling you what exactly?”

“I…”

Cassie interjected. “We… are not allowed to discuss this with you.”

I glared at Tayn. “So, they know more about me than I do?”

Tayn shrugged. “We’re dancing a delicate and precarious dance at the moment. They all, except for Claire, surmised you must be Atlantean.”

“Somehow this doesn’t make me all warm and fuzzy. Of all of you, I think I trust Claire’s unbridled, unedited, unfiltered answer. What they told you is enough for you to protect me.”

Claire grimaced. “Begrudgingly. Don’t get your hopes up that you and I will be going to slumber parties together.”

Lucas chuckled. “That’s borderline miraculous.”

Athera poked her head back into the living room. “Who’s hungry?”

***

The next day I drove to school and arrived just in time to see Lucas pull up in a Porsche. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the previous evening when everyone was told secrets about me and I ate pizza with Claire of all people. What I wasn’t prepared for was Lucas waving at me and rushing to my side to walk me into homeroom.

“Last night was amazing, Mira.”

“What about last night was amazing?”

“Meeting…” He frowned. “I wish I could talk to you more about what was shared. I understand their predicament and I’m glad you’re one of us now.”

“One of us… What does that even mean?”

He leaned close and his lips brushed my ear. “You’re an Oceanus Atlantean like the rest of us.”

“Ha. Yes. Part of the club.”

“You don’t sound too excited about it.”

“I’ve been lied to my entire life. I only found out I wasn’t exactly human a few weeks ago. I have almost no understanding about myself, where I came from, or what my purpose is. Being part of a secret club is just one more thing to make me not normal.”

“It doesn’t make you not normal, it makes you special.”

Even though my heart was fluttering being next to Lucas, I was rather irritated by everything. So, when Paul waved at me, I made a poor excuse and headed over to him leaving Lucas looking somewhat angry.

“Hi, Paul. How are things going?”

“I was about to ask you the same question. You’re still hanging around Lucas and his band of misfit toys?”

I sighed. “They really aren’t bad people.”

Paul’s eyes darkened. “You need to stay away from them. They aren’t good people.”

I felt like a Ping-Pong ball bouncing back and forth and the whole thing was giving me a massive headache. “How am I to know that you’re any better than them?”

Paul puffed up his chest. “Because I’m invincible!”

I patted him on his shoulder. “Keep thinking that. I’ll see you later.”

“What? What did I say?”

I headed to home room and sat in the back away from Lucas and the others. Everything just felt wrong and when the final bell rang for the day, I headed straight for the truck and went home. I don’t think I spoke another word all day.

***

The next morning was Friday and I crawled out of bed early to go for a run and burn off some excess energy. After my run, I stood for a long time before the mirror, looking but not seeing. For the first time, I recognized I didn’t miss my old self in the least bit. I loved being Mira. I loved my long hair. I loved wearing dresses. I loved the vivid color of my eyes and my perfect smile. It dawned on me what I was missing. I wanted joy. I wanted to smile all the time and lately, I hadn’t been smiling much at all. I was bound and determined to make the day better.

I showered, ate breakfast, and walked to school. I gave up trying to figure everyone out and the mystery surrounding myself. I stopped asking questions. The burden of not knowing slid away and I felt a sliver of freedom.

Even though I was twenty minutes early for school, Paul appeared to be waiting for me. I waved and attempted to be nicer than I was the day before which wouldn’t be too hard to accomplish.

“Hi, Mira!”

“Hi, Paul. I’m sorry about yesterday. I was in a weird place. I think I just got overwhelmed with the move and trying to find my place here in Astoria.”

“I know it can be challenging. I arrived here three years ago, and it was hard to settle in.”

We sat down on a low wall together and looked out towards the tidal river delta. I realized I hadn’t explored the area much.

“What’s your favorite spot in Astoria?”

“I think I’m at it right now.”

He was grinning as he looked at me, so I nudged him.

“I want to explore this weekend. Where should I go?”

“I’ll take you on a tour.”

I looked down and away. “I appreciate the offer, Paul…”

“But you don’t see me as anything but a friend and you want to be with someone else.” His tone was somewhat harsh.

“No. That’s not it. I’m not used to so much socialization. This week has been stressful navigating the waters of high school for the first time. I wanted a little time to myself. I’m sorry if that hurt your feelings.”

“I think I can empathize. You’ve been isolated in Nevada for many years.”

Cold dread washed over me. “I grew up in North Carolina, not Nevada.”

“Nevada, North Carolina. They’re both N states.”

I stood and Paul grabbed hold of my wrist.

“I know you need to get to homeroom, but perhaps I could walk you home after school?”

“I’m meeting my parents downtown.”

“What are their names? I hope to meet them one day soon and want to make a good impression on them.”

I gently extracted my wrist from his hand. “Sorry, Paul. I must go. See you around.”

I felt his eyes on me until I turned the corner of the school and headed inside to homeroom. I found a seat near where Lucas normally sat and didn’t have to wait long until the group of five arrived.

Claire crossed her arms over her chest and whispered with a touch of low growl. “I thought we were supposed to be your babysitters but that’s hard to do when you avoid us.”

“I wasn’t avoiding you yesterday. Well… maybe I was a little. Yesterday was a rough day for me. I don’t like not knowing what’s going on and there are too many voices telling me what to do.”

Claire’s stance seemed to soften a little. “I might know a bit about how that feels.”

Basil plunked himself down next to me. He had a huge smile on his face. “Are you coming this weekend?”

“Coming to what?”

“I turn eighteen on Sunday. I’m so excited. My parents are having a coming of age party for me. You are all invited.”

I leaned close to him. “This is when you receive your light energy?”

“I can’t wait for it. Maybe then I can hold my own against Lucas.”

“I assume only those like us would be there. Would it be risky for me to go?”

“It would be completely safe.”

“I would love to go.”

“Yours is next weekend. You must be excited.”

I shrugged. “I never even knew about the coming of age thing. It would make me less human.”

Cassie hugged me. I loved that girl. “It is a moment to remember. How would you like to celebrate it?”

“Maybe I could go to the beach that day.”

“A beach celebration with a bonfire, hot dogs, smores… It sounds perfect as long as the weather is good.”

When the bell rang to officially start homeroom, everyone moved to their seats. Lucas slipped a note into my hand. I waited until I was back in the hall between classes to read it.

‘Mira,

I would like to walk you home after school today. If you would like that, give me a wink at lunch and we can meet behind the school.

Lucas’

I tried to push down the giddiness I felt, but there was no chance. I enjoyed every interaction I had with Lucas and wanted more. My excitement made the day crawl.

***

I bit my lower lip as I waited for Lucas to show up. I was nervous as we had never had time alone and I wondered what he was thinking about me.

“Mira.”

I spun around to see Lucas walking up to me. I couldn’t read the expression on his face. It was somewhere between focused seriousness and fondness.

“Thank you for walking me home. I was hoping we might get a chance to talk.”

We started walking and Lucas looked behind us as we left the school grounds.

“Are you looking for someone, Lucas?”

“I just wanted to make sure no one was following us. We decided we should each take turns walking you home.”

“Oh… I thought…”

“What were you thinking?”

I felt the excitement drain. “Nothing.”

“This must be hard on you not knowing what’s going on.”

“Such is my life. You know, you don’t have to walk me home if you don’t want to.”

“It may not be safe for you. There are other Atlanteans in Astoria.”

I stopped walking. “You know what I need, Lucas?”

He stopped and looked me in the eye.

“I need Lucas my friend, not Lucas my protector.”

“I’m sorry. After what Tayn and Athera shared with us, it was unsettling, and it’s important for you to be protected. I’m caught up in something I never imagined I would be and there are real threats out there. I… I’m not worthy to be your friend, Mira.”

“Not worthy to be my friend? Who ever needs to be worthy to be anyone’s friend? What if I want to be your friend? What if I want to be even…” I clamped my mouth shut hard.

Lucas slipped his hand into mine and smiled. “I would like very much to be considered your friend.”

I looked down at our hands held together and felt the warmth there. Tingles radiated up my arm. We started walking again and I pulled my hand from his with reluctance.

“What about Claire? I’m sure she would hate us walking alone together or if you and I were friends.”

“Claire and I… It’s complicated.”

“Try to uncomplicate it for me. You love her?”

“No.”

“She loves you?”

“Maybe. There’s more to it. We’re both from ancient bloodlines and our parents have been talking for years about us marrying. They will wait another year or so before making it official. She sees you as a threat to her family’s desires and her own.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know and I’ve been antagonistic to her.”

“I quite like the feistiness in you. You don’t back down and Claire is the one that has been antagonistic to you. She’s possessive when it comes to me.”

“What about you? How do you feel about an arranged marriage?”

“I could do much worse than Claire. She’s nice when you get to know her. But…”

“But?”

“I dreamed that one day I would find my soul mate. I grew up enamored with the idea that someone I was meant to be with was waiting for me out there. I guess I’m still hoping.”

“What’s it like?”

“I’ve heard the stories. After you are both of age and you first look into each other’s eyes it is almost painful, as if you can’t breathe. That’s followed by an unbreakable, unyielding bond. No force on earth is as strong. Just ask Tayn and Athera. They’re soul mates.”

“Seriously? They never told me.”

“The stuff of legends. I can only dream about having such a bond, but it isn’t looking very likely. Those bonds are so rare that I’ll marry Claire and hope that one day I will fall in love with her.”

I stopped walking again and took his hand in mine. “I pray then that you find the love you desire.”

He reached up and wiped a tear that I was unaware had fallen down my cheek. It was an intimate moment, but he looked away and removed his hand.

“I would be happy to just have love first, even without the bond of a soul mate. What about you, Mira? What is your heart’s fondest wish?”

“What I wish for can’t be granted, so I only wish that others can be given theirs.”

“That sounds desperate and lonely.”

“Maybe that is my destiny.”

We finally made it to the front steps of my home.

“I don’t believe that for a second. You could have anyone you desire. You’re so beautiful, intelligent, caring, and compassionate. It would be easy for someone to fall in love with you.”

“What if I wanted someone that was unreachable, promised to someone else? Someone, hypothetically, like yourself?”

Lucas turned away and his voice was merely a whisper, so soft it was no louder than a leaf blowing with the wind. “Who is to say they haven’t already fallen in love with you?”

***

After a lengthy training session where I didn’t even come close to hitting either of them as they were using full light energy, we enjoyed a quiet dinner. When the dishes were done, I sat in the living room with Tayn and Athera.

“Lucas walked me home from school today.”

Athera’s eyebrow raised. “Did he now?”

“He told me you both are soul mates.”

Tayn huffed. “He shouldn’t have said anything.”

“It’s not like he exposed the master plan for my life. What’s it like?”

Tayn nodded and looked at Athera. “When I was young, I met a young woman and fell in love. At least I thought it was love until I first laid eyes on Athera. The connection was instantaneous and so overwhelming it brought me to my knees. Love is… an unbelievably strong emotion. A soul bond makes love feel like a fleeting interest.”

Athera picked up the conversation. “It tears at me to be away from Tayn, even for a few minutes. I feel his state of being, his anger, frustrations, as if they are my very own. I can tell if he is hurt even if he is miles away. When we fight together…” She grinned. “It is like nothing else. We weave together effortlessly, knowing what each other is going to do next.”

“It sounds so beautiful.”

“Both beautiful and a curse. The pain I feel when Tayn leaves can be almost debilitating. After a lifetime together, I still feel the thrill of his touch; a touch that ignites my soul with desire for him.”

“I want that for myself.”

Athera hugged me. “I know it has only been weeks since the veil was lifted. We have watched you come into your own. You remind me much of your mother, full of passion, hopes, and dreams. You feel strongly for Lucas. I can see it in your eyes when you look at him.”

“His parents are arranging for him to marry Claire.”

Tayn looked thoughtful. “There has been a strong desire to unite the ancient bloodlines and return us to what we once were. Lucas’ bloodline is strong with many of them having additional elemental affinities. Claire’s family is not so well known, but where his has elemental affinity in fire, her family has air affinity. It is a strategic and political move.”

“Why would it be political?”

“In the event the leader of a colony dies and in the absence of a child heir, authority passes to the strongest Atlantean through a test. A series of battles to determine that pit themselves against each other. An Atlantean with one additional affinity will likely always win. Lucas is strong in light and fire affinity. Maybe the strongest in a long time.”

“You mean he could be king one day?”

“Possibly, if there is anything left to be king of.”

***

That night I laid in bed and thought through the events of the day. I questioned my own feelings towards Lucas, especially since he was unattainable. I felt nothing for any other guy I had seen or met. Basil was nice, but I didn’t feel any connection and he was taken by Cassie. Jake was handsome, but he was aloof and seemed always angry. If anything, Jake and Claire would make a good couple if they didn’t kill each other first. Paul was kind, but I felt nothing for him other than friendship for the kind things he did for me.

I wasn’t concerned about my desires to be married one day to a young man. Ever since the veil was lifted, it was as if my preferences also came to light. Looking back, under the veil, I felt no strong urges either way, as if my preferences and libido had also suppressed by the veil.

I realized I was setting myself up for heartbreak. If what I was feeling was love for Lucas, I would need to guard my heart. Regardless of the outcome of my coming of age, I was considered a threat; more than a nobody, less than a somebody, but likely no one that could disrupt Lucas’ arranged marriage to Claire.

It was with this solemn realization that I drifted off to sleep.

***

The next day, Athera, Tayn, and I went on a driving tour of the Astoria area. We went to all the touristy shops and spots, ate lunch out, and even watched the Goonies that evening. It was a spectacular day and I was pleased to not have spent a great deal of time worrying about my emotions.

Sunday, however, was a different story altogether. I chose a lovely white dress as Athera had told me that Basil’s family owned an above the water shipping company and were rich by human standards. I drove my truck to the address Basil had given me and I wound up on top of a hill with expansive views in all directions. The house was gated, and my old pickup truck raised more than a few eyebrows as I pulled up to a guardhouse.

“Deliveries are at the side entrance, ma’am.”

“I was invited by Basil. I’m Mira Davis.”

The guard frowned and called over to the house. A camera turned towards me and a moment later the gate opened.

“Park up front and leave the keys in the… truck.”

“Thank you!”

I drove down a long driveway, past a tennis court, and by perfectly manicured landscaping. I stopped in front of a multi-million dollar modern, luxury mansion. My door opened with a creak and a groan by a man wearing white gloves.

“You work here?”

“No, ma’am. I snuck in to steal the valuable cars by acting as a valet. I’m certain your truck will bring me fifty dollars.”

“I guess it was a stupid question. Careful, I left a rattlesnake inside next to the moonshine.”

The man laughed. “I’ll take good care of her. Head on inside. The party is just getting started.”

I leaned back into the cab and pulled out a gift. I wasn’t sure if it was required, but I wanted to give something to Basil to congratulate him. I stepped up to the massive double doors and another man opened them for me.

“Miss Davis. Please come in. Everyone is on the back terrace.”

I stepped into a world of pink marble, gold accents, and plush, modern furniture. I paused at the floor to ceiling windows that looked over all of Astoria. I took a deep breath feeling like a corndog in an upscale steak restaurant.

“Mira! You came!”

Basil hugged me.

“Congratulations, Basil! I brought this for you.”

“How thoughtful. What is it?”

I smiled. “You’ll have to open it to find out.”

He tore open the box and laughed hard. “I love it!”

It was a One-eyed Willy eye patch.

He put it on and pulled me outside to the terrace. The rest of the group were already there.

“Mira is here!”

“Oh joy.” Claire relaxed with what must have been champagne.

Cassie, as usual hugged me tightly. “Great to see you, Mira.”

Jake tipped his head towards me, then there was Lucas. He smiled and my heart skipped a beat, or two, or three. I swallowed and looked away.

Basil’s parents came out onto the terrace and I was introduced to them. Their eyes examined me carefully.

Basil’s mother took my hand in hers. “What a beautiful sight you are, Mira. I’m glad you could make it.”

Basil’s father shook my hand and smiled. “I like your truck.”

“It gets me where I need to be, and I get to do it in style.” I laughed a little and he did as well.

“You are always welcome here, Mira.” He turned to Basil. “It’s time.”

It was a strange ceremony where Basil sat out in the sunshine and we all gathered around him.

Basil’s father held out a hand towards him. It glowed bright white. “May the blessing of our ancestors grant you the gift of light.”

Basil’s mother held his face between her hands. Her hands and eyes glowed as she bent down and kissed his forehead. “Receive the gift of light and the love of your ancestors, Basil.”

It was such a loving sight, I got choked up and felt tears falling down my cheeks.

Basil stretched out his arms. “I receive the blessing of light.”

Immediately his fingers began to glow bright white. It travelled up his arms and his whole body lit up like the sun. I covered my eyes from the brightness. A second later, he was normal again. He stood and his mother and father hugged him. Everyone cheered and clapped.

Music started, food and drinks were passed around, and the party began in earnest. I stayed at the edges of everything. It was an hour later when Basil sat down next to me.

“What’s it like?” I asked him.

He grinned. “I feel like a new person. Confident, powerful. The light is in me ready to be used and with it came an innate sense of knowing how to use it. I wasn’t expecting that. You’ll see on Saturday, Mira.”

“I guess.”

“You seem sad. It should be exciting for you.”

“Your mother and father... It was touching and beautiful. I’ve never even met my parents. Did you also receive an elemental affinity?”

Basil shook his head. “No. Our bloodline is diluted. None of my family have an elemental affinity so I wasn’t expecting one.”

I hugged him. “I appreciate your steadfastness and friendliness to me and all those around you. You are a real gift.”

“Thank you, Mira. You are very special yourself. I want you to know I would die to protect you. We all would.”

“I’m no one that anyone should die for. Believe me. Is there a bathroom around?”

“Through these doors, past the pool, you will find a bathroom.”

I squeezed his hand and slipped away, easily finding the doors to the indoor swimming pool and the bathroom. As I was leaving the bathroom, a hand clamped around my mouth from behind and pushed me against the wall. It was Jake. I pushed back, but he was too strong, and I noted several flickers of light.

He removed his hand and his lips were on mine before I could take a breath. His hand pressed against my hip and slowly slid towards my chest. I bit his lip and thrashed in his grip, finally getting a knee into his groin.

He grunted and spit blood, but he didn’t let go. “You’re mine!” He hissed through gritted teeth. “I know you want me.”

“Let. Go. Of. Me!”

He pressed himself into me again and I fought him with everything I had. I was doing some damage, but against his light-fueled strength, I was incapable of throwing him off me.

“I like a girl with fight in her.”

That’s when I screamed, and a second later Lucas tackled Jake from the side. Jake’s grip released me but not before spinning me around and catapulting me into the swimming pool. I sputtered as I surfaced just in time to see Lucas lifting Jake off the ground with one hand. Flames licked between Lucas’ fingering singing Jake’s neck.

“Stop!” I shouted.

Lucas’ eyes turned to me. They were red with fury as he threw Jake to the ground like he had weighed nothing. Cassie and Basil ran in and helped me from the pool. Lucas stood over Jake and pointed a finger at him.

“You took an oath to protect her!”

“She wanted it!”

I snapped and spun away from Cassie and Basil with every intention of hitting Jake. “Never!”

Cassie and Basil grabbed me and held me back.

Lucas looked at me, then back at Jake. “You are a disgrace, Jake!”

Jake shook his head. “We have known each other our entire lives and you take her side? I always knew a woman would come between us.”

“I don’t want to come between anyone. What you did was wrong, Jake!” I turned towards Basil. “I’m sorry this spoiled your coming of age. I should leave.”

Basil gently put a hand on my shoulder. “You’re welcome here. Please stay.”

I looked back at Jake but caught Lucas’ eye. There was such longing and desire there as he looked at me. Anger boiled beneath the surface as he turned back towards Jake. I turned away from the scene and shivered. It was all well and good to be in near sixty-degree sunshine, but to be wet and nearly raped, sent chills through every part of my body. I stepped away from Basil, whispered a thank you, and ran for the door.

I heard Lucas calling my name, but he was busy with Jake. I ran into Claire on my way to my truck.

“Looks like I missed all the. Did Jake find you? I told him what you told me the other day, that you like a man that will be the aggressor and that you wanted him badly. You look angry. Did I misinterpret something?”

I pushed past her as she laughed. The door man opened the door for me and offered a towel while I waited for my truck. I thanked him and dabbed my face dry. When my truck pulled up, it was all I could do not to run and pull the man from behind the steering wheel. I took several shaky breaths and drove quickly home.

***

I was crying nonstop when I rushed through the doors on my house. I ran straight into Athera’s arms.

“It’s all right, Mira. I’ve got you. Basil called us and told us what happened. Are you hurt?”

“No… not really… just… frightened…”

Athera guided me upstairs and helped me get changed and dried up. I heard a car screech to a halt in front of the house and moments later a strong knock sounded at the door. Tayn answered it and invited Lucas inside.

I must have looked like a scared wet rabbit as he took a few steps towards the stairs when Tayn placed a gentle hand on his chest.

“Let her come down on her own, Lucas.”

I felt a need to cry again, but I swallowed the heavy feelings and walked down the stairs.

Athera and Tayn sat us all down on the couches. Lucas moved to raise his hand to my cheek but pulled back at the last moment.

“Are you all right, Mira?”

“I’m not hurt, but that doesn’t mean I’m unscathed.”

“Tell me what happened.”

“When I came out of the bathroom, Jake grabbed me from behind and put his hand over my mouth. He then… pushed me against the wall and used his light energy to keep me there. That’s when he kissed me and told me I was his. I bit him and fought but had no leverage against his enhanced strength. He… I’m sure he would have done more had I not screamed.”

Tayn growled. “He broke his oath and by forcing himself upon you he has violated numerous laws. He could be banished and veiled which would remove access to his light energy for his crimes.”

Athera placed her hand on Tayn’s. “Mira would have to testify. That can’t happen and I think Jake must have known that. It would expose Mira to the Atlantean community.”

“We should banish him from our group.”

They all argued back and forth until I stood and paced.

“No. That would be a mistake. There is more to his attack that meets the eye. If there indeed is something I need to be protected against, then banishing him from the group would allow him to take the knowledge he has of me to other groups that may see me as a threat. He wanted me and I suspect he might have been put up to it.”

Lucas’ eyes narrowed. “Who would do such a thing.”

“I can’t say, but I have my suspicions.”

Tayn nodded slowly. “Mira’s right. At least until she comes of age next weekend. Keep Jake close but away from Mira.”

Lucas cast his gaze down. “I’m sorry, Mira. I should have protected you.”

I sat down and grabbed his hand. “You did protect me.”

He looked up at Tayn and Athera, shook his head, and extracted his hand from mine. “I didn’t do enough. I better get back to the party.”

He stood and I followed him to the door.

“Lucas?”

He paused and I threw my arms around him.

“Thank you.”

He looked tired and weary as he headed to the car.

“He’s in love with you, Mira.”

“Too bad that doesn’t matter to his parents.”

***

The week dragged with awkward moments and sidelong glances. Basil and Cassie were the ones that walked me home each day. Something happened to Lucas and he seemed to be withdrawing from me. Jake was in the group still, but he kept his eyes on me all the time. Claire was smiling too much which didn’t bode well for anything.

It was Thursday afternoon when Basil and Cassie came home with me after school. I appreciated their efforts as I was still skittish alone. Jake’s actions had me shaking like a fall leaf at every shadow.

“Have you noticed that Lucas has withdrawn?”

Cassie opened her mouth and shut it again.

“He’s hurting.” Basil said flatly.

“What do you mean?”

“His parents and Claire’s announced their marriage. He’s bound now.”

I stopped walking and held my stomach as I bent over.

I felt Cassie’s warm hand on my back. “I’m sorry, Mira. I think I know what he means to you. It’s why he’s in pain and withdrawing. He can’t even touch you without bringing shame to their families.”

Basil smiled weakly. “There’s still a chance though.”

“Basil…” Cassie whispered and shook her head.

“A chance at what?”

Basil clamped his mouth shut.

“Tell me. Please?”

Basil sighed. “If it was demonstrated you and Lucas were soul mates, that trumps everything. Lucas’ parents would then have to make a decision. Allowing the marriage to continue would condemn Lucas and you to a lifetime of suffering apart from each other.”

“In other words, it would be easier to win the lottery.”

“If you were soul mates, you should buy a lottery ticket because you would both be the luckiest people alive.”

I winced. We weren’t even a couple and I was mourning the loss of Lucas as if he were. “I need to leave Astoria.”

“You need to do more than leave Astoria, Mira. You need to die.”

I looked up to see Paul standing in front of us. He had five other men with him.

Basil turned to Cassie. “Use every ounce of energy you’ve got you’ve got. Go get help.”

“I can’t leave you, Basil.”

“You must!”

I saw Cassie’s tears as she bolted away from us. Her light-energy infused speed was astonishing.

Some of Paul’s men were about to go after her but Paul stopped them. “Mira is our target.”

I looked around for an escape but found none. It was five on two and the knife I had strapped to my thigh was not likely to give us an edge.

Paul strode forward slowly as he flicked his head towards Basil. “Kill him.”

I backed up as three of the men grabbed Basil. A sword of light appeared in Paul’s right hand. His left grabbed for my right wrist. I dove to the right, pulled my knife, and slashed across the hamstrings of one of the men holding Basil.

Paul cursed and Basil drew his light swords, slicing through one man’s side as he did so. I rolled again and stabbed up into the last man’s ribcage. He dropped to the ground freeing Basil to leapt forward in a fury of attacks against the remaining man.

I kept the injured men between me and Paul, but he merely swept his sword through them, killing at least one to get to me. He was driven, focused, angry, and wanting blood.

He lunged forward, narrowly missing my shoulder. Instead of retreating further, I tackled Paul, slashing up his right arm. He screamed as blood gushed over both of us. I tried to roll away, but he gave a burst of light energy and grabbed my hair and yanked me back to him. I swung with my blade, slicing his face, but his bleeding arm slammed into my right wrist with enough force to wrench my arm. My knife flew from my hand just as I heard Basil scream. He was cut down by the last man who turned and came to assist Paul.

The man approached and placed his swords of light next to my neck. A second later, he fell away with a rock spike through his forehead. Paul’s eyes went wide with fear, but he drew a sword of light and connected with my right side as he dove over an embankment and disappeared into thick brush.

I collapsed and held my bleeding side all the while calling out for Basil.

“Cassie. Heal Basil as much as you can! Tayn, after that man! I’ve got Mira.”

I gasped for air as Athera rolled me over and placed her hands on my side. It was a deep cut, but her earth element energy poured into me. I felt the cut healing bit by bit. A wave of nausea had me heaving to the side just before I passed out.

***

I woke with a start and cried out for Basil. I was in my bed with Tayn hovering nearby. I tried to get up, but my side ached, and my right wrist gave out under the pressure of my weight. Tayn helped me sit.

“Basil!”

“He’s stable, but Athera and Cassie are healing him. He lost a lot of blood. Once we know he’s safe, we will heal you more.”

“I need to see him.”

Tayn gave in and got me to my feet. I was dizzy and ached all over. I could see blood stains on my blouse and skirt. My clothes were torn and dirty, but I was alive. I made my way downstairs to find Basil laying on the kitchen table with Cassie and Athera healing him with earth energy.

“Basil!” My voice cracked and I held my hand to my mouth.

Athera looked up with a thin smile. “He’ll make it. Cassie is a brilliant healer and one hell of a fast runner.”

I moved to Basil’s side. He looked up at me and smiled weakly. “We fought well, Mira. You saved my life.”

“No Basil. It’s because of me that you are injured and nearly died. It’s all of you that saved my life. I’m not worthy of your sacrifice.”

Basil chuckled and coughed. “What a story I get to tell that only days after my coming of age I was in a battle worthy of being put into the annals of Atlantis.”

“Hush. Rest.”

The door burst open and Tayn had his swords out within a second. Lucas skidded to a stop and Tayn put away his blades.

“Mira!”

He took bold steps towards me, but I held up my hand.

“Stop, Lucas. You can’t touch me. I’ll not bring shame to you or your family, nor will I allow any one of you to put yourselves in harm’s way for me again.”

“You know?”

“Yes.” I whispered.

He lowered his hands and looked at Basil.

“How is he?”

“Never better.” Basil replied softly. “You should have been there to pick up the leftovers.”

Lucas stepped by me. I felt the warmth of his body as he passed. He glanced at my wound and anger flared in his eyes.

“Who was it?”

“Paul. Paul and five others.”

“The nerdy pizza guy?”

I nodded.

“I always wondered about him. How did he know?”

I sat down heavily put my face in my hands. “I’m so stupid.”

Athera looked up from Basil. “What are you saying, Mira?”

“Paul. Last week he said something that caught me off guard. He mentioned how it must be tough to move here after living an isolated life in Nevada. When I corrected him and told him it was North Carolina, he said he misheard me. I’m so stupid. He must have known, but how?”

Lucas looked at Basil and grabbed his hand. “I don’t know, but we’re going to find out.”

“I’m two days from my coming of age. It may be best to hunker down and ride it out. Maybe I won’t be such a threat when it turns out I’m a dud.”

Lucas stared into my eyes. “There’s no way you are going to be a dud, Mira. You’re destined for greatness.”

I looked towards Basil. “You’re wrong, Lucas. My mother gave me up, Tayn and Athera wasted their life protecting me, and now Basil… The only thing I’m destined for is causing pain and heartache.”

Cassie came over to me and I couldn’t look into her eyes. She wrapped her arms around me and held my aching body tight against hers. “I believe Basil when he says you saved him. While I don’t like my Basil being injured, we all took an oath. Atlanteans do not take oaths lightly, Mira. There’s good reason for us to protect you. No matter what happens, I will stand by you. Lucas is right. There’s not a chance you will be anything other than…”

Tayn interrupted her. “Basil and Mira need rest and if either you or Athera have any energy left in you, Mira needs more healing.”

***

The next morning, I woke refreshed and with few residual effects from the fight. I got up, stretched, and took a shower. With some clean clothes and my hair brushed out, I felt like a new woman. I made my way down the stairs as quietly as I could. Lucas and Basil were sleeping on the couches. Cassie was up with Athera in the kitchen. In the dining room, Jake and Claire sat with Basil’s parents. Tayn came in from outside looking like he may have stayed up all night.

Athera walked over to me and gave me a hug. She placed her hand on my side and I could feel her energy coursing through me.

“Except for a little bruising, you’re good as new. Not even a scar as a reminder of your first real battle.”

Cassie hugged me then wandered over to Basil’s side. I was jealous of how she stroked his hair and woke him up with a kiss on his cheek.

Lucas stirred and with everyone awake, Basil’s parents made a suggestion.

“Not too far north from here, we have an oceanfront cabin. It’s fully stocked and is defensible. There’s a private beach as well. I can get the staff to secure the cabin and prepare for us to stay a few days. Our goal must be to protect Mira until she receives her light tomorrow.”

***

It was an easy choice. All of us skipped school for the day and travelled up the coast to the cabin of Basil’s parents. The cabin, as it turned out, was enormous and overlooked the Pacific Ocean. Staff were visibly armed and walked the driveway and property. If it weren’t for Jake staring at me all the time and Claire giggling and fawning over Lucas, the day would have been enjoyable.

Tayn, Athera and I shared a room for the night, and we woke to a breathtakingly sunny and warm day. I was anxious for many reasons so as soon as I woke I, I headed downstairs to the kitchen. Claire was there and she looked smug as the chef handed her a plate of bacon, eggs, hash browns, and toast. The chef asked me what I wanted and when it was all ready, I took my plate over to the table and sat across from Claire.

“I guess today we find out if you were worth all this effort. I suspect not. Oh… don’t expect an invite to Lucas and my wedding.”

“What’s the matter with you, Claire? Can’t you see that Lucas is miserable? Don’t you care what he wants?”

“You assume he wants you.”

“I don’t care if he wants me or not. He deserves to be happy. Do something decent and speak with your parents. Have them dissolve the marriage agreement.”

“You see, that’s why you’ll amount to nothing. You don’t even understand the basics of Atlantean life. Sometimes sacrifice is needed for the greater good. No matter. At the end of the day, I’ll still have Lucas, and you will still be nothing more than the manufactured dream of a handful of deluded people.”

I left my mostly full plate of food and walked away, chased only by Claire’s laughter.

***

The day progressed slower than trying to get the first bit of ketchup out of a bottle. With no attacks and afternoon settling in, Athera brought me down to the beach. The staff had built a huge bonfire and everyone began gathering. I only wished I had come down sooner as the beautiful day was nearing the end.

The mood was festive. People ate hot dogs and smores and I could only manage a few bites. I was unsettled. Lucas was avoiding me again. Claire kept looking at her watch. Jake was absent from the gathering. Basil, who was feeling much better, and Cassie walked hand in hand.

I turned to Tayn and Athera. “Basil’s coming of age was when the sun was up. When is mine?”

Athera moved some stray hairs from my eyes. “Shortly after dusk.”

“Without my mom here, who will impart the blessing?”

Athera frowned. “I’m so sorry that your parents can’t be here today. The blessing is merely traditional. You’ll receive the light and any elemental affinity at the same moment whether anything is said or not. As we get closer, it might be best for you to sit as sometimes the infilling is so overwhelming that some people collapse.”

Tayn and Athera stood close to me as we sat and watched the sun set. It was beautiful and sad at the same time.

Tayn pulled me to my feet and we all walked together towards the bonfire.

Athera shouted out to everyone. “Mira’s time is imminent.”

That’s when all hell broke loose. Dozens of men with swords of light flooded the south end of the beach. Incredible machines moved from the water to the land. There were even a few stealth-like aircraft that landed and unloaded more soldiers.

Tayn shouted out commands. “Protect Mira at all costs! Form a circle around her!”

Lucas was immediately by my side. Basil’s parents and their staff raced from the cabin, but they were intercepted by people that had come from the road. Swords of light turned the darkening beach into a glowing, horrific scene. I grabbed my knife, but Athera pressed me down to the sand.

“Don’t fight. You’re so close. We’re here to protect you.”

“There are too many of them!”

She grinned. “And they’ll pay dearly with their lives.”

She turned as the first sounds of battle swept across the beach. I sat in pure horror as people crashed into each other. Weapons, akin to laser rifles were fired. Explosions of energy sent sand and people flying in all directions. There was blood and screaming and all I could do was sit there. I was the cause of it all.

Claire stepped up next to me and drew her sword of light. She looked out of the carnage and smiled before turning suddenly to face me. She sliced her sword and cut across my chest. I fell backwards and tried to get up just as the incredible power of light began to fill me. I was shaking from the enormous infilling of energy, unable to move.

Claire lifted her sword again just as Jake dove over me and crashed into her. Her sword penetrated right through his side but he fought her with grim determination. I tried to yell, but I was still unable to move as wave after wave of power entered me. I gasped as I saw five men attack Lucas at the same time and a fireball erupted around him sending them screaming in all directions.

From the corner of my eye, I saw a second sword of light slice through Jake and Claire pushed him off her with a strong gust of wind. She stood, bleeding, and stepped towards me.

“Time for you to meet your maker, Mira.”

It was then that everything released inside of me. Light energy infused my movements and I stood to my feet faster than Claire could swing her sword towards me. Her eyes widened with fear as my chest wound healed instantly with earth elemental energy. My swords were in my hand and clashed with hers with such power, she fell back a dozen paces. With a flicker of a thought, roots rose from the ground and formed a cage around Claire.

The water called and I felt its energy. The fire, the land, and the air enveloped me like a blanket of power and I used it. A wall of water crashed through the attackers, then froze in place. Lightning flashed from the sky and exploded the crafts that had landed on the beach. Fire swirled above me and lashed out like a whip, and the earth rolled under their feet.

I spotted Paul across the battlefield. A scar was still red on his face. The ground shifted beneath his feet and he fell to his waist as if it was nothing more than air before hardening again, trapping him in place.

He screamed. “She’s and elemental! Retreat!”

The attackers scattered and I sent a wave of fire after them. When all seemed safe, I looked down at Jake. My fingers sought the pulse on his neck even though I knew he was dead. There was no energy left in him. I fell to my knees at his side and wept.

Tayn was the first to arrive back at my side. He was bleeding from a dozen small wounds. I looked up at him and reached out to grasp his wrist. I pulled earth energy from around me and healed him completely.

“The prophecy was true. You’re the first elemental.”

“I don’t even know what that means other than Jake’s death. I didn’t want any of this to happen. He saved my life from Claire.”

Smoke billowed across the beach as I stood and looked around. It was then our eyes connected. Lucas was running towards us and stopped. I was filled with sweeping pain and pleasure at the same moment. He was my everything. We raced towards each other unable to stop ourselves. His first touch ignited a fire within me and then his lips were on mine. We were one and the world around us ceased to exist. It was perfect.

When we dared to pull apart, people were staring at us. So much had transpired in the past twenty minutes. We had many injured, and sadly a few dead. With Lucas’ hand in mine, we rushed from person to person and I healed them. Once everyone was healed, our group directed our attention to Paul and Claire. I released them and members of our group bound them and brought them together.

Claire spit at me as I approached, but the wind whipped around me sending it straight back into her own face.

It was Lucas, still hand in hand with me, that spoke first. “Why Claire? It was you that told Paul about Mira. Wasn’t it?”

“I had no idea who she was until Tayn and Athera shared about her. You fell in love with her and that was all the incentive I needed. Paul is a nobody, but he’s from Arcellos and has connections.”

“You tarnish the good name of your family.”

“My family was all about consolidating power in Oceanus. With her mother imprisoned, leadership would likely pass to you if a battle decree to find the strongest Atlantean was issued by the senate. My parents arranged our marriage so that we would rule together. Your parents are in on the whole thing and have been working against Irabella for years. You were just to blindly loyal to not see how they deceived everyone.”

I looked at Paul, he was bound and on his knees before us. “And you, Paul. What am I that you would want to kill me?”

“I was told you were the daughter of Queen Irabella, our enemy. With her imprisonment, you would inherit the throne. My only hope was to eliminate you and force the hand of the Oceanus senate. By aligning with Claire, who would likely become queen, my family would be set for life. However, I know differently now. You’re the first elemental. You’re the end of Atlantis as we know it. Your existence was prophesied, and you will destroy the colonies.”

I turned to Athera and Tayn. “What do we do with them?”

“That depends on you, your highness.” There was a glimmer of mischief in Athera’s eyes, but the others were nodding.

It was Basil that stepped forward. “Irabella, your mother, was Queen of Oceanus. She has been deposed and imprisoned, her location is unknown. As her last living heir, and that you are likely more powerful than any Atlantean that has ever lived, you are now acting queen to be confirmed by the senate.”

“Queen?”

It was then that everyone dropped to their knees before me. I pulled Lucas up as we were still holding hands. “Can we talk?”

“Of course, my Queen.” He chuckled.

“Not you too.”

I looked back at everyone. “I’m only seventeen. You can’t be serious.”

Athera grinned. “Eighteen. That’s a world of difference.”

“Of course. It’s as if the wisdom of the ages suddenly filled me to overflowing in the past hour. Can’t you figure out what to do with them?”

Tayn chuckled. “I’m sure we can. Is that your wish, my Queen?”

“Lucas and I are going to have a chat. Over there somewhere.”

Lucas looked to Tayn. “Can I tell her everything?”

He nodded. “It’s time. Whatever information you lack, Athera and I will try to fill in the gaps.”

***

Away from the bonfire and burning wreckage of Atlantean vehicles, the people, dead bodies, and prisoners, it was almost pleasant. Once we were beyond earshot, Lucas kissed me and suddenly I was transported from focusing on whatever I was to someone hopelessly and irrevocably bound in love forever. Lucas’ touch was electrifying and, if it weren’t for the pressures of the world weighing upon us, I doubt we would have stopped at just a few dozen kisses.

Lucas sat down and pulled me into his lap.

“Who would have thought we would be soul mates, Lucas?”

“I knew something was going on the moment I first saw you in the pizza restaurant.”

“It’s amazing, and frightening. I can feel your heartbeat and your emotions. I’m not complaining though. I always wanted to have what we now have. Of course, we had no choice and maybe you’ll throw your fists towards the gods in defiance for getting a defective soul mate.”

“If anything, I’m getting the batter bargain. When my parents announced the marriage agreement between Claire and me, I was despondent. I was already in love with you. I couldn’t face the reality of living my life without you.”

I snuggled into his embrace feeling satisfied that if the world ended, I was right where I belonged.

“I don’t even know where to begin asking questions. Why couldn’t anyone tell me who I was or my history?”

“Your mother, Irabella Raya, won her right to rule during the last senate approved rulership battle decree. She is from a very strong and ancient bloodline. Not only is her light energy powerful, but her ability to store light is unsurpassed. Combined with an affinity for air, she easily defeated other hopefuls. She has been queen for nearly thirty years.”

“Did she marry?”

“No. She wasn’t one for political alliances and the people loved her for that. Her focus was on Oceanus and building strength through technology. She always hoped that science would one day unite the colonies.”

“If she didn’t marry, then who is my father?”

“Magus Vara, King of Arcellos. He also comes from one of the strongest and most ancient bloodlines.”

“He’s not from Oceanus?”

Lucas smiled and kissed me. “You can’t fathom how special you are. Nineteen years ago, there was a battle. Arcellos attacked Oceanus and, it is rumored that Magus was captured. When Irabella met Magus… No one really knows exactly what happened. Irabella released the Arcellos prisoners and months later, she was found to be with child. The senate performed tests and it was confirmed that you were the mixture of Raya and Vara bloodlines. Immediately, the senate was in chaos. Questions were raised. Why did Irabella release the criminals? Was she working with them? It was the instability of the situation that started the political maneuvering and families attempting to wrest control of Oceanus.”

“Why would I be a threat?”

“There are several reasons for this. First, your lineage was now bound to two colonies. You would be a princess of Oceanus and Arcellos. Second, you cannot be charged with your mother’s crimes, if there were any, allowing you to rightfully inherit the crown if anything happened to Irabella. The families began maneuvering for control. They needed to remove Irabella from her queenship and end your life to stop any heir from taking the throne. I suspect Arcellos isn’t aware you are their princess. Paul’s family is powerful even though Paul himself is not from an ancient bloodline. By aligning with Claire’s family, assuming her family’s plans unfolded to get her into the queenship through me worked, his family would be set for life.”

“I still don’t understand why I was hidden, and no one could tell me what was going on.”

“Knowing your life was in danger, your mother hid you. Tayn and Athera are members of the elite royal guard. They were fiercely loyal to your mother and the most awarded soldiers of Oceanus. They’re legends. Eighteen years ago, your mother entrusted them to hide and protect you. Her hope was that one day things would return to normal and you could return to her side. Obviously that never happened and six months ago, the senate, under leadership of my father and Claire’s father, declared Irabella a traitor to Oceanus. It was publicly announced you were dead, and the senate moved forward with their plans to replace your mother as queen.”

“Still, why not tell me?”

“For your entire life, you have been the second highest authority in all of Oceanus. As of six months ago, you were queen. It’s a difficult situation Tayn and Athera found themselves in. If you had known your mother was imprisoned, what would you have done?”

“I would choose to find her.”

“And in doing so, Tayn and Athera would have been obliged as your citizen to do as you requested. It would put you, your mother, and Oceanus in a very dangerous predicament. Without the understanding of your authority, technically you couldn’t wield that authority. There was one other consideration. The prophecy.”

“Oooohhh. The prophecy. Some old witch with a big pot of frog-leg stew had a vision?”

“You’re being sarcastic. It’s understandable growing up without intimate understanding of Atlantis culture and history. Atlantis prophecies come from light energy itself. We use crystals to store information, dampen energy, predict, and even transform someone to human.”

I winced.

“I felt that, Mira.”

“I was veiled.”

“Yes. To protect and hide you. Why does that bother you?”

“I wasn’t me while veiled…” I shuddered. “Go on. You were talking about prophecies and crystals.”

“Everything alters the flow of light energy. Crystals can harness the patterns of light energy and when confluences of power exist, the ripples that made it happen can be traced forward and backwards. Imagine throwing a stone into a pond. The waves radiate outward in a predictable fashion. If you through another rock, the waves of both splashes will collide. Where and when those collision points happen, and their amplitudes are called confluence or prophetic events. It was prophesized that a child would be born to two ancient bloodlines and that child would be powerful.”

“I’m not sure you need light energy waves and crystals to predict that. I’m sure everyone knows this. It’s why Claire’s family wanted to merge with yours.”

“You don’t understand the magnitude of the confluences surrounding you. Before Atlantis sank, there was a prediction a great cataclysm would occur. Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that the magnitude of Atlantis sinking was a five on a scale of one to ten. The magnitude of the confluences around you are a ten.”

I leaned back. My eyes wide. “I’m going to destroy the world or something like that?”

“Some think that’s possible. The prophecy foretells the end of the colonies.”

“Hogwash.”

“What?”

“All this stuff is hocus pocus. You’re telling me that Atlanteans knew Atlantis would be destroyed and yet they ignored it and didn’t prepare?”

“The state of future confluences is ever changing. If a third rock were thrown into the pond, closer to the confluence, it could alter the magnitude on a possible event, or erase it altogether. It is an ever-changing landscape. Just like no one could predict exactly when and what would happen to Atlantis, no one could predict the exact time, place, and person the confluence surrounded, yet you are living proof that it happened.”

“So, what? I’m powerful.”

“You’re an elemental. The first of your kind. The energy of all elements is yours to command, control, and transmute. We have theorized elementals are the next evolution of Atlanteans. While you store energy like the rest of us, you don’t need to use it. Your power comes from harnessing the energy outside of you, in the world around you. We could dampen your internal energy stores with crystals, and you could still use all the elements as easily as you breathe. You might also not be able to die.”

“Excuse me?”

“Your body functions like any other Atlantean, but you are, in essence, given life through the energy around you.”

“I’m a liquid metal terminator.”

“A what?”

“In the movie, Terminator Two, a liquid metal robot was frozen and shattered but reformed itself. I’m a monster. No wonder people want me dead.”

“While Atlanteans are beings of light and energy, we have a gene that triggers at the moment of our eighteenth birthday. When it triggers, we gain access to the energy sources we have affinity to. This triggering is a mechanism to protect us, to steer us. We train our children. Educate them. We mold them to use their power wisely. You weren’t raised to be a monster, Mira. I believe you’re here to save us all.”

I stood and even the small space between us caused my heart to burn. “I need a moment.”

Lucas nodded even though I felt his anxiety grow becuase I was moving away from him. He knew me as well as I knew myself. It was the nature of the soul bond. I walked towards the water. I felt the energy all around me. The water parted before me just as easily as it would for me to walk on the water. I held out my hand and the energy of the air wrapped around my fingers.

As if called, Lucas stepped up next to me and wrapped his arm around my waist. He was my anchor, my rock. He would hold me down so that I would not give myself to the air.

“I think we need to go see your parents.”

Lucas smiled. “You have a plan?”

“Maybe.” I faced him and wrapped my arms around his neck. I stood on my toes and let my lips gently brush his. “How long can we do this before breaking every law of Atlantis? I don’t think I could stand sleeping apart from you.”

“One step at a time, my love.”

I slipped my hand into his. “I guess we should get back to everyone. They’ll be worried. I’m also starving.”

“It was hypothesized an elemental would not need to eat.”

“While that might be possible, there is no fun in that.”

***

Tayn and Athera had stayed near the bonfire until we returned. The others had moved into the cabin. The beach was already cleared.

Athera hugged me, then Lucas.

“How are you doing, Mira?”

“I think I need to print that question out and hang it on a wall. It seems to be the sentence of my life. Aside from my worldview shifting with the barometric pressure, I feel good.”

Tayn smiled. “Only good?”

“Let me see if I can elaborate. I’m a being of pure energy, a queen of Oceanus, a princess of Arcellos, my mom is hidden away in some prison while the Oceanus senate tries to perform a coup d’état. My dad doesn’t know I exist, and the slightest touch of my soul mate makes me want to practice making babies, lots of babies. Yup… I’m good.”

Lucas blushed.

“Where did everything go?”

Athera grinned. “I wonder if I can still beat you.”

“A battlefield just vanished, and you wonder if you can beat me?”

“When an Atlantean dies, their body will return to the light. It usually happens within a few hours of death. We can use our light energy to speed that process up. Our technology does something similar. It dissolves to assure it doesn’t fall into the hands of humans. None of that is new for me. What I find exciting is going toe to toe with someone that could defeat me. Plus, you need to learn your capabilities.”

Tayn kissed Athera so passionately, I felt a flush on my face.

Athera looked pleased and surprised. “What was that for? Not that I’m complaining.”

“It was a redirection tactic and I wanted to confirm that after 120 years of marriage I also still want to practice making babies, lots of babies with you.”

“I can’t unhear that, you know? Lucas, can you put the bonfire out?”

Lucas looked sheepish. “I can create fire, use existing fire, throw fire, but I can’t put fire out.”

I glanced back at the fire and removed its energy. It was gone in the blink of an eye. “Onward. I’m starving. I wonder if I could create my own banana split?”

Tayn shook his head as he looked back at the extinguished bonfire. “Practical jokes could get out of hand with you, Mira.”

“Like fusing you to the toilet seat? Good thing you would never joke with me.” I giggled.

Athera nudged Tayn. “You started it.”

We arrived at the cabin amid much commotion. Many were discussing the prophecies and what an elemental is capable of. Paul and Claire were wearing crystal bracers that acted like handcuffs.

The room went silent once they recognized I had entered.

Picking up on my concern, Lucas spoke with everyone.

“You have nothing to fear from Mira. Yes, she’s an elemental. She will need your support to help her learn what she is capable of. We should be safe from attack for the time being. I doubt anyone that escaped would recommend attacking us if Mira is here. Is anyone hungry?”

“Lucas?”

We faced Claire.

“You talk about me shaming my family when it is you shaming yours. You touch that… thing. My parents will never dissolve the marriage agreement. They’ll lose too much.”

I felt Lucas’ anger rise. I gently squeezed his hand.

“You broke your oath to protect our queen. You tried to kill her, and you murdered Jake. You exposed information to the enemy. They will dissolve the marriage agreement. Mark my words.”

“She will only bring you pain and death. Slit her throat while she sleeps. I won’t be condemned. I will be proclaimed a hero.”

I knelt before Claire. “I’m not your enemy, Claire. You need to be held accountable for Jake’s death and the attack on Basil and me.”

“Basil and Jake got what they deserved. Basil is too stupid to understand the ramifications of letting you live and Jake… I was hoping he would kill you himself after I told him you were in love with him.”

I turned my gaze to Paul and shook my head. “We could have been friends. You were kind to me when I first arrived in Astoria. Do you know who my father is? I wonder if that would make a difference. I assume Claire didn’t share everything she knew.”

“What are you talking about?”

“It’s all lies, Paul. Don’t listen to them.”

“Magus Vara is my father.”

Paul’s eyes widened. “That’s not possible.”

“Did Arcellos not attack Oceanus nineteen years ago and he was captured by my mom? The timing is rather coincidental and then there are the prophecies…”

“Two ancient and powerful bloodlines coming together.” He whispered. “If this is true, then you’re… I should be put to death for my actions against the princess of Arcellos.”

“You didn’t know. Your actions were misguided and misdirected out of nothing other than greed.”

“You spurned me.”

“There was nothing between us other than friendship. There was nothing to spurn. Besides, one cannot fight the bond of a soul mate, Paul.”

Claire sputtered. “You… and Lucas?”

“Yes. And if you think for one second your marriage arrangement won’t be dissolved; you are sadly mistaken. Nothing will take Lucas from me.”

I stood, kissed Lucas, and fought the heated rush of desire to rip his clothes off. I leaned away and addressed the group. “We need to go to Oceanus. How exactly do we get there?”

***

It was decided we needed a few days to organize ourselves. This was to give me a chance to work with Tayn and Athera to hone my new skills, decide who would go, and who would stay. We would take Tayn, Athera, Lucas, Claire, Cassie, and Basil. Paul would stay under guard with Basil’s parents as we might need him later.

“Focus, Mira!”

“Sorry. You never told me how hard it would be to concentrate when Lucas was apart from me. I feel like a metal spike is being driven through my heart.”

Athera rolled her eyes. “He only went into town to pick up some items we need. Now focus.”

Athera jumped forward and even though she was using full power and speed, it felt like she was standing still. I tagged her right side, left shoulder, and chest in rapid succession. After a few minutes, she stepped back and put her hand up.

“I think I will concede I have met my match with you, Mira. You aren’t even using your stored light energy.”

“What? No bet for who does dishes?”

“The outcome is inevitable. I would lose.”

“I seem to recall the outcome was inevitable for me a time or two.”

“Let’s focus on elemental energy. With earth affinity, you can manipulate physical objects. This includes healing. I saw you roll the land, create growth, and change the density of the land during the battle. Additionally, you can create and throw rocks, and even harden your skin to make it impervious to physical attacks. What you did with the fire opens new possibilities. You could possibly pull the life force from what is around you.”

“That’s a scary thought.”

“Air affinity will allow you to create wind, lightning, and storms. You can control the temperature of air around you and others. Water going vessels are highly susceptible to bubbles as with enough bubbles, the buoyancy of a ship is removed, and it will sink. Changing air pressure could allow you to stand on air or perhaps even fly if you are strong enough.”

“Fly? Like Superman?”

“If you lowered the air pressure above you and increased the air pressure beneath you. I would think it’s possible. Water propulsion would be similar.”

“Water and air would be a lot alike. I could create waves, ice, jets of water, water bubbles, and…” I smiled and ran down to the ocean’s edge. I jumped in and came away dripping from head to toe. With a thought, the water left the surface of my skin, clothing, and hair and I was perfectly dry. “I’m going to love that!”

“She’s having too much fun with her abilities.”

I took some of the water and splashed Tayn with it.

“Why you…”

Athera almost fell over she was laughing so hard.

“Can the elements hurt me? Like fire?”

“You should be able to control the heat and flames. Your body would not be affected. Even your hair. Not sure about your clothing.”

“Could I be shot?”

“I would think so, but you also heal almost instantaneously. You could shield yourself with light. Harden your skin. Deflect the bullet with gravity, earth, wind, or water. You could possibly reduce your density to a point a bullet would pass through you with no harm at all.”

I felt Lucas before I saw him. I glanced up and I was running across the beach when he came out of the forest trail. We collided with kisses and our hands everywhere.

“That was torture.”

He smiled and kissed me again. “I agree but I could get used to the hello.” He shook Tayn’s hand and hugged Athera. “Why is Tayn wet?”

Tayn frowned. “Ask the joker.”

I tried my best to look innocent. “Wasn’t me.” The water on Tayn fell away from him. “See? I’m a good person.”

Lucas pointed back and forth between Tayn and me. “There’s something going on between the two of you. How was sparring?”

I pouted and that made Lucas kiss me. “Athera won’t bet me anymore.”

“You beat Athera?”

Athera patted me on the shoulder. “Easily. I don’t recommend you get her angry.”

Tayn took Athera’s hand. “And no babies until you’re properly married.”

“Really? You didn’t just say that.”

Tayn chuckled and walked along with Athera. “I didn’t know it was so easy to make Mira blush.”

I called out after them. “That’s Queen Mira to you knave!”

Lucas laughed. “Who knew being a queen would be so fulfilling?”

“If I don’t get killed or imprisoned and the title stays, then you will be king, my Liege.”

“You make a good point. I should practice giving orders. Kiss me.”

I put the back of my hand to my forehead. “Oh! My King! It would be the highlight of my life to kiss you!”

The kiss that followed was, indeed, the highlight of my life. It left my legs shaking and an unquenchable fire burning for more.

***

The next morning Athera woke me and handed me a folded set of clothes.

“Knowing we would eventually travel to Oceanus, I secured a dress for you. It will be important for you to be attired appropriately.”

I nodded and headed into the bathroom to change. Once I figured out the layers and where everything went, I stared at myself in the mirror. My face and body that were at one time foreign to me, gave me comfort. The dress was unlike anything I had ever worn before. My initial thought was that it would make me look like Elton John at a rock concert, but the glittering silver scale dress was sleek and body-hugging. I had to remind myself to breath. It was regal and yet alluring. The fabric glistened with sparkles off silver scales and multi-colored refractions came from the crystal edges.

Athera knocked. “Can I help you with your hair?”

“Please.”

I ran my fingers down the silky soft dress, over my narrow waist, and along my flat stomach.

Athera gasped a little. “That is the dress of a queen and you fill it out perfectly.”

“Too bad a dress can’t actually make me feel like a queen, but if any dress could, this would be the one.”

“Let me pull your hair up.”

***

All eyes turned to me as I stepped into the living room. While I had power, this was the first time I felt powerful. Lucas’ mouth opened and closed several times with no sound coming from him. He came to my side and cupped my face and kissed me.

“I had to make sure you were real for not a living soul has ever been as beautiful.”

I squeezed his hand. “I think I’ll keep you around, handsome if for nothing other than making me feel good about myself.”

“Your transport is ready, you Highness.”

I wasn’t certain who had said that, but I nodded. “Let’s go then.”

We moved to the driveway to find what looked like a stealth fighter with a large interior space about the size of a bus. I stepped inside and found a seat next to a window. Lucas sat next to me and my hand clasped his firmly.

“I’ve never been on a plane or a boat before. Do we fly or does this become a submarine? How long does the trip take? Can’t human planes and radar see us? What happens if we hit a whale?”

“The trip is just under an hour. We are invisible visually as well as by radar and sonar. We will fly, then descend into the ocean depths to around ten thousand feet below the surface.”

“Nothing to worry about then.”

“I can sense you’re nervous. Atlantean transportation is safer than a human airplane. We rarely crash or get crushed. I would worry more about meeting my parents.”

“That’s helpful.”

My stomach dropped as the craft rose straight off the ground. There was no engine noise and the bushes and trees outside didn’t even move. The craft spun in the air and rocketed across the ocean.

“I didn’t bring my passport. Do we need to go through customs?”

“Entry is granted by a DNA sample. In your case, since you aren’t registered in the system, your DNA will be matched to your parents. It will show you are Irabella Raya’s daughter. I can’t wait to see the reactions.”

“Is it possible they have heard about me?”

“Unlikely. We locked down all communications from the cabin a few days ago.”

“Does Amazon deliver to Oceanus?”

“No. Why?”

“I thought an inflatable raft might come in handy when they float me out into the depths.”

“I’m fairly certain you can survive under water just fine. Your body will automatically pull what it needs from your surroundings to keep you alive.”

“You say this like there is a possibility they might actually eject me from Oceanus.”

***

After thirty minutes, the craft slowed, and we dropped to the surface of the water. With nary a splash or bubble, we sank below the surface and dropped rapidly away from the light.

The pilot announced we were at 10,200 feet below sea level. The craft moved forward through pitch darkness.

“Opening the outer Oceanus portal.”

I stared ahead out the pilot’s window. The darkness shimmered and fractured until a bright white hole large enough to fit the craft was before us. The craft moved slowly forward and paused.

“Closing the outer Oceanus portal.”

Water drained from around the craft.

“Opening the inner Oceanus portal. Welcome home, your Highness.”

I leaned forward trying to catch a glimpse of Oceanus. The inner portal cracked and dissolved away uncovering a spectacular view. The entire colony was beneath a crystal dome so huge I couldn’t see the far side. Our craft moved forward flying once again as the inside of the dome was air, not water like I would have expected. High above the distant city, a massive crystal produced light. Green grass, farmland, trees, lakes, streams, rivers, and waterfalls all existed at the bottom of the ocean just like it did above. The city, made from polished white stone and glass, was futuristic and breathtaking.

“I feel like I just stepped into an Isaac Asimov novel.”

“The surface of the crystal dome mimics the sea floor. No light shines through. It is invisible to human technology. The main crystal is charged by light energy from the sun and it mirrors the motion of the sun above the sea. We have night and day, just like the surface. Temperatures vary within the dome on purpose. At the edges, we can grow season fruits and vegetables. In the center, tropical.”

“Incredible.”

We landed on a large patform and a crystal causeway formed between the craft and a nearby building. Lucas took my hand and walked me through the hallway until we entered a large room.

“Welcome to Oceanus. Present yourselves for identification.”

Lucas waved the others through. Cassie and Basil kept Claire between them. Claire’s identification caused some concern as she was bound as a prisoner.

“Who is responsible for this Oceanus citizen being contained?”

Tayn stepped forward. “Athera and I are responsible.”

The guard stuttered and stood to attention. “Athera and Tayn Viera. You are honored here. It has been too long.”

“We have been on an important mission. Claire will need to be put on trial for her crimes. We will take her to the holding area.”

“Yes, sir!”

Lucas stepped forward and placed his hand over a crystal and stepped forward. I was the last to pass through. I hesitated to place my hand over the crystal but swallowed and did so. A bell sounded and the guards looked at a hovering head’s up display.

“There was a problem, miss. Please submit your hand to the crystal again.”

I did and the bell sounded again.

“This isn’t possible.”

The guards looked to Tayn and Athera.

Athera nodded. “It’s correct. This is Mira Raya. Your queen.”

“We need to report this to the senate immediately.”

Athera turned to me. “It’s your decision, your Highness.”

“There is a matter that must be dealt with first. We need to meet Pascoal and Irimina Arsipas and Calros and Onda Laza before we head to the senate.”

The guards bowed. “Of course, you Highness. Might I add, you look like your mother and I could not be prouder to be here to witness this historic event.”

“Thank you. You are very kind.”

I tried to act queenly even if I didn’t feel like it.

“You recently came of age?”

“I did.”

“Congratulations. May I enquire what the results were?”

I glanced to Athera.

She nodded. “Your queen is an elemental, just like the prophecies foretold.”

The guards both took shaky inward breaths and bowed low.

I stepped forward and slipped my arm into Lucas’.

“I hope you all know where we are going.” I whispered.

Athera looked over her shoulder to me. “We won’t stop off at the holding center. Claire should come with us and we should all stay together.”

“Why did you want the guards to know what I am?”

“They’re good and trusted men. Word will spread through them. If we have any trouble, they will more likely hold to honoring you as their new queen. Knowing you are the elemental of prophecy will assure us of their loyalty. Power is everything and they will align with the safest bet.”

“An elemental is unknown. I could be a weakling.”

“Our children have been taught of the elemental prophecy for generations. Over the centuries, the stories have been embellished to the point that the elemental is just shy of being a god. The stories turn out to be quite accurate.”

Cassie dropped back as Athera took her place next to Claire. “I took the liberty of communicating ahead to your parents, Lucas. They should arrive just ahead of us.”

“Thank you, Cassie.”

Cassie paused and looked at me. “I didn’t know who you were when I first met you, but you impressed me. In less than a day, you may be heralded as the Queen of Oceanus. I want you to know you always have my sword and the loyalty of my heart. And, because I can get away with it…” She threw her arms around me in a huge hug.

***

We walked long enough I was wondering why we hadn’t taken an Uber. We arrived at a villa that backed up to a lake at the edge of the main part of the city. Lucas didn’t knock but stepped inside. We all paused at the door, but he waved us in.

Across an open room, stood two well-dressed people.

“Lucas. We were told to meet you here. What is going on? Why aren’t you in Astoria?”

“Father. Mother. I need to introduce you to someone.” Lucas pulled me forward. “This is Mira Raya, Oceanus’ queen and my soul mate.”

His parents took several steps back and looked between Lucas and me several times.

Claire shouted and tried unsuccessfully to shrug off Athera’s grip on her arm. “And you are well aware I am Lucas’ wife to be!”

Lucas’ mother, Irimina, collapsed onto a couch. “Oh my… So few words and yet so much to absorb.” She looked at Lucas. “Why can’t you be like all the other kids and get caught having a joy ride on the beach? That I can deal with.”

“Mr. and Mrs. Arsipas. You both might want to get comfortable. We have a bit of a story to share with you.”

***

I slowly sipped some of the best wine I had ever tasted. Sometime in the past hour, Irimina got up and offered everyone refreshments.

Lucas’ father stared at me to the point I was about to wilt and die. Lucas put his arm around my shoulders.

“I need evidence. You look like you mother, but that does not confirm who you are and the fate of Oceanus rests on what actions we take next. How do I know you’re an elemental?”

Tayn stepped forward. “You know Athera and me. We were there when Mira was born. You can call the guards and confirm the DNA test allowing Mira’s entrance to Oceanus.”

He frowned. “I need proof she’s an elemental.”

I stood and moved to the window. I could command the water from the lake, change the landscape, or send fireworks into the sky.

I turned around to face Lucas’ father. “No. It makes no difference what I am or what I’m capable of. I’m either worthy to be queen as heir of Irabella, or I’m not.”

Lucas’ father held my gaze before he moved to stand before Lucas. “I have seen and heard enough. Claire’s alliance with Arcellos citizens, her attacking Mira, and killing Jake are more than enough crimes to see her banished or worse. It’s obvious that Lucas and Mira are soul mates and soul bonds rise above agreements. I hereby rescind the marriage arrangement. I think it would behoove us all to establish a timeframe for Lucas and Mira to be married.”

Obvious relief flooded Lucas. Claire screamed and stamped her foot. I paced.

“Mira? This is great news. It means there is nothing stopping us from getting married. Why are you nervous?”

I glanced at Lucas and felt like I was about to make a huge mistake. “Mr. Arsipas. There is one other matter we need to discuss. As leader of the senate, you were instrumental in the removal of my mom. You have also maneuvered your family to take the reins of power.”

The room fell silent and I cursed myself.

“What we did, your Highness, was to secure the safety of Oceanus in the vacuum of leadership. You may be mistaking my position as head of the senate to be without compromise, but I’m but one voice among eight other senators. I couldn’t stop the vote to imprison your mother. I reached out to the Laza family to create an alliance that could secure the future of Oceanus.”

“I’m sorry for having to ask you that. I have never met my mom, but I see her impact everywhere I turn. Can you share what evidence the senate had to suggest my mother was compromised or risking the safety of Oceanus citizens?”

“She released valuable prisoners of war without senate approval.”

“That was when, exactly?”

“Just under nineteen years ago.”

“When did the senate announce she was a threat and removed her from her position?”

“Six months ago.”

“The senate waited eighteen years to remove a threat? Why only six months ago?”

“Her health was failing. She was complaining of heart pains and she tried numerous times to communicate to Arcellos against the warnings of the senate. The members of the senate took these situations and exploited them for their own power.”

“I would like to convene the senate and I am asking your full support.”

“You have it, my Queen.”

“I don’t think you understand what I’m asking. In all matters, you will support me. That includes when I request to be taken to my mom, to see her released and possibly reinstated, and for me to travel to Arcellos.”

“You ask much and as acting Queen of Oceanus, I will suggest your primary responsibility is to the people of Oceanus. You shouldn’t travel to the homes of our enemies.”

“I’m the daughter of the King of Arcellos.”

“That has yet to be definitively proven.”

“Assuming I am his daughter, then I may have access to Arcellos beyond what any other Oceanus citizen has had before. It may be through me that peace can be established between our colonies. Is that what Oceanus desires? Peace?”

He was caught, and he knew it.

“Father. Consider the alternatives. The senate was going to issue the battle decree in search of a new leader for Oceanus. Mira is a citizen of Oceanus and believe me when I tell you she would win easily and become our new queen. Whether she wins in the battle games or takes her rightful place as heir, she will be Oceanus’ next queen. You know better than most that the senate takes direction from the queen and is an administrative assembly with delegated authority only. If the senate does not accept Mira’s claim to the throne Oceanus will risk civil war, a war that Mira will win. I believe at the end of the day it would be in our family’s best interest to listen well and fully support Mira. If you fail to support her, I will renounce my claim to the Arsipas family for I put my faith in Mira Raya as my friend, my queen, and my soul mate.”

Lucas’ father bowed to me. “You have my full support, Mira Raya, Queen of Oceanus. The senate was hasty and there are too many old curmudgeons like me that took advantage of Irabella’s illness to wrest power. When would you like to meet with the senate?”

“A few hours. We have to have a chat with Calros and Onda Laza first.”

Claire’s face turned ashen.

***

“What is the meaning of this?” Calros’ face had turned red and he had drawn his sword of light. “Release my daughter immediately!”

I approached Claire’s father. “Your daughter is in serious trouble, Mr. Laza. No harm has come to her and no steps have been taken to try her for her crimes.”

“You have no authority here!” He lashed out with his sword. My hand was faster. I caught his wrist with my hand and held it steady using energy from around me to strengthen my arm.

“Put your sword away and let’s talk.”

“Dad… Do as she asks. She is Mira Raya, daughter of Irabella, Lucas’ soul mate, Queen of Oceanus, and… someone I can guarantee that you don’t want to fight.” Claire looked defeated.

“Queen? Irabella’s daughter?”

“She’s the prophesied one, Dad. She’s the first elemental. You need to hear my crimes and listen to what they have to share.”

He put his sword away and waved us all inside.

***

Calros Laza put his face into his hands. His wife, Onda, placed her hand on his shoulder.

“I wish you had come to me, little dove.”

Claire winced at his words. “She stole Lucas from me. She was Irabella’s daughter and rightfully the Queen of Oceanus. I saw her fight Lucas before she even came of age, and she won, even with him using some of his light energy. I knew if she came of age and into her affinities, everything we worked for would unravel. Then, there’s the prophecy. I had to do what was necessary to save us and all Atlanteans.”

“A prophecy you fail to understand, sweetheart. As keeper of the crystals, I have watched the energy eddies and currents. There is a possibility if Mira is truly the elemental of prophecy, she might reunite all Atlantis if we can avoid civil war.”

Claire’s father stood and bowed to me. “For the actions taken against you by my family, I humbly and sincerely apologize. What are your intentions towards Claire?”

Claire broke down into tears. It might have been an act, but I saw Jake’s torn body on the beach and hardened my heart for a hard decision.

“I can forgive Claire’s actions against me. However, Jake was killed by Claire and others lost their lives because Claire chose to disclose information about our whereabouts. For now, she should come with us to the senate as questions may be asked of her involvement. We can decide after that.”

A hovering translucent panel appeared and chirped. Claire’s father answered the communication and Lucas’ father appeared.

“Calros. The senate is convening. Is Queen Mira still with you?”

“She is.”

“And your disposition?”

“I fully support our new queen.”

“Let’s hope the rest of the senate agrees. I’ll see you there in twenty minutes.”

***

We entered a grand building in the center of Oceanus. From the outside, the design looked like a series of waves, similar in design to the Sydney Opera House but this building was made entirely of quartz. We stepped through the entry and I looked up through the ceiling; the light of the sun crystal filtered through segments of the quartz providing a dazzling display of interconnected light pathways.

Enormous double doors, gilded with gold leaf, stopped any further approach. Calros Laza tipped is head to us then moved towards stairs on the right.

Guards on either side of the doors stood at attention. “The doors will open momentarily after the senators have all arrived and taken their seats.”

We waited a few minutes until the doors opened as silently as a summer breeze.

Athera whispered to me. “We will stay slightly behind you. Move to the center of the room and wait to be addressed.”

Intimidating would be a word I would use to describe the interior of the senate building. There was some seating available for the public, but the guest speakers were to stand on the golden seal of Oceanus surrounded by the nine senators and their staff. Each senator sat in plush, comfortable chairs on a raised platform, forcing the speakers to look up. Behind the senators were small teams of staff moving quickly back and forth and shuttling information to the senators.

Pascoal Arsipas sat in the center seat and waved me forward.

One of the senators to Pascoal’s far right spoke up.

“Mr. Chairman, might I enquire why an emergency meeting of the senate has been called, and who are these people?”

I stopped when I was in the center of the room and waited patiently. I took in the countenance of each senator one by one. These were the people that deposed my mom. Some of them had wanted me killed at birth.

A bell chimed and Pascoal started the meeting.

“I call this emergency session of the senate to order to address a situation of significant relevance to the stability and future of Oceanus. The young lady before you is Mira Raya, Irabella’s daughter.”

The room exploded with shouts and activity. Several senators leaned back and issued orders to their staff. One stood and ordered the guards to seal the building.

“Until this is verified, no one can leave this building!”

“We need more guards!”

“This is a lie!”

Pascoal pressed a button and a low thrumming bell echoed through the chamber. “Order!”

The room quieted. A few senators leaned forward to get a better look at me.

Pascoal addressed everyone. “I am certain you all have many questions. You have been transmitted details as to the results of Mira’s DNA verification when she arrived this morning. That Mira is the daughter of Irabella Raya is without doubt.”

“Mr. Chairman, Irabella’s daughter was to be put to death upon birth.”

“The senate gave no official order even though it was sadly debated. I, speaking for myself, believe that moment was the most heinous time in Oceanus’ history of the senate.”

“We know who her father is. We know the prophecies. She hasn’t lived in Oceanus and is thus not a citizen. We have no idea how she grew up, or where. She could be an Arcellos sympathizer, a spy, trained by their king himself to undermine Oceanus. She cannot be allowed to be queen.”

“Here, here!” Shouts rang out from some of the senators.

“While you all debate my fitness to rule, would it not be appropriate for me to speak on my own behalf, Mr. Chairman?”

“Yes. Yes, of course. I yield the floor to Mira Raya.”

I took a deep breath and felt the energy coursing through my body. It comforted me. I pushed Lucas’ anger at the senate away.

“Distinguished members of the senate and Chairman Arsipas. I thank you for allowing me to speak. I have lived an isolated life, away from my mother and father, both whom I have never met. Until very recently, I believed my parents were Tayn and Athera. I was hidden and placed under a transformational veil. I lived in Duckwater, Nevada, a place far from people, the ocean, and for me, any understanding of my true heritage.

“I was educated by Tayn and Athera. Taught to defend myself. Although I questioned my purpose in life, I believed Atlantis to be a myth, that I was human, and one day I would take my place among other humans living above the water.

“Weeks before my eighteenth birthday, two women came to our home. I believe they were emissaries of my mother. Through them, my mother ordered my veil removed because a threat to my existence arose from internal Oceanus factions. We had to move and await my coming of age.

“I was shaken to the core of my being when a small snippet of understanding was revealed to me. Not only was I not human, but Tayn and Athera were not my parents. It wasn’t until I came of age a few days ago that all was shared with me.”

“She just admitted to never living in Oceanus. She’s not a citizen and therefore not eligible to claim her right as queen.”

Pascoal’s voice carried loudly. “Order! We have no laws defining citizenship as being anything other than being born to an Oceanus citizen. There are no laws defining the right of passage of royalty. Please continue, Mira.”

“I want to emphasize that I had no knowledge of prophecies, who I was, or who my mother and father were. While I deeply grieve this as a loss, I understand the implications. Had I known any of these things, I could have possibly become the threat some believe the prophecies suggest.

“The moment of my coming of age, we were attacked by an overwhelming Arcellos force. They had three soldiers to our one and craft at their disposal. Clearly, there are people that see me as a threat, however, that threat did not directly come from Arcellos. It was orchestrated by a citizen of Oceanus to stop me from claiming my birthright.”

There were gasps and shocked expressions from within the room.

A different senator asked me a question.

“What happened, Mira? You were outnumbered. How did you defeat them?”

“Our people fought well. They formed a large circle around me to protect me as my coming of age left me unable to move for some minutes. They held the line, losing several heroes of Oceanus until I could stand. They saved my life at heavy cost. It was only after I connected to my affinities that we were able to push them back.”

“Affinities? Aside from light energy, you have another?”

“Apparently, I’m an elemental. I have access to water, earth, air, fire, and light energy.”

Whispers floated through the chamber.

“She will destroy all of us.”

“She will unite us all.”

“Arcellos and her allies can’t stand against us now.”

“She is an abomination that needs to be put to death.”

“Order!”

The room quieted again. Senators conferred among themselves in small groups. Several minutes passed and then every door to the chambers opened. At least one hundred soldiers poured in from all sides before they turned and locked the doors behind them.

Pascoal and Calros stood and shouted.

“What is the meaning of this?”

A senator stood and stepped down to stand in front of me. He looked me over with disdain.

“Guards, place her in chains. She can go to the same prison her mother is in.”

Pascoal pointed his finger at the senator. “Senator Melchoir! You have no right. Mira Raya is our queen, whether you like it or not.”

Melchoir laughed. “I have right by might. I will not sit idly while all that I have built is lost. I am protecting the citizens of Oceanus and declaring myself king. I have the backing of several unnamed senators and, as you can see, many mercenaries to do my bidding.”

A soldier grabbed my hands and placed crystal cuffs on me. I expected my energy to drain, but such was not the case.

Pascoal tried to regain control by ordering guards to remove Melchoir, but his mercenaries drew their swords of light.

I looked back over my shoulders. Athera, Tayn, Lucas, Cassie, and Basil all nodded to me. Claire lifted her chin and whispered to Cassie. Basil stepped in front of Claire to hide her.

Returning my gaze to Melchoir, I held up my wrists.

“Oceanus is a great nation. I will defer to the majority of the senate. No coup is needed. No one needs to be hurt or killed.”

“You should have been killed while still in your mother’s womb. I have control. The senate is worthless.”

“Do you understand what being an elemental is?”

I pulled the energy from the bracelets until nothing was left. They fell to the ground as charred ash.

“Withdraw your soldiers. Let the senate decide my fate. This is your last warning.”

With that, those behind me stepped to my sides with their shimmering blades of light drawn.

“So be it. Kill them! Kill them all!”

With a push of wind, Melchoir flew away from me and crashed heavily into the dais wall. Lucas jumped forward, fire and swords blazing. Athera and Tayn teamed up and sliced through the mercenaries. Claire tackled two with her lightning and swords. Fighting was happening all around me. I cut through a dozen to get to the senators that were being pressed from two sides. It was chaos and large-scale attacks would only injure allies.

“Enough!” I shouted.

The fighting paused as I directed the air around me. I floated up into the air and concentrated. I could see without my eyes being open. I felt the energy of everyone in the room. I could sense friend and foe. Water seeped up through the floor. Around each enemy, hollow cylinders of water formed around them.

I opened my eyes and floated myself back to the floor. The soldiers, once stunned by what was happening, began pounded against their watery prisons. Melchoir stood slowly to his feet. He stepped towards me. Lucas, Claire, Cassie, Basil, Athera, and Tayn all slid into place between us halting him in his tracks.

He hissed. “This is what I feared. Someone so powerful there is no negotiating.”

“Sort of like what you just tried to accomplish with your mercenaries except that I put myself at the mercy of the Senate. However, I suggest that with your stunt here, you and your allied senators might need to be replaced.”

“Senators just can’t be replaced. We are elected by the people.”

“Which means you are accountable to those people. You serve them, not yourselves. That is what public service is all about.” I looked up to Pascoal. “You are Chairman of this senate. What would you have of me, Melchoir, his mercenaries, and those that align with him?”

“Your power is undeniable, Mira. You could take power if you wanted to, yet you choose to willingly allow the people to choose your fate. First, I say we vote on your status. Senators Melchoir, Oliverio, Torcado, and Iago have worked together for years to disrupt the peaceful designs of the senate. I vote to exclude them from participating in what we do here today.”

The remaining five voted to concur with Pascoal.

“Now, onto more weighty matters. I vote to accept Mira Raya, the daughter of Irabella, as the rightful heir and Queen of Oceanus.”

Calros seconded the suggestion and the remaining senators all agreed. Even if the other four senators had voted, it would have passed with a majority of votes.

“Oceanus is yours, Mira. What would you have of your senate?”

“How many people are Oceanus citizens?”

“Six million, give or take.”

I paled. “I hope that at least a few of them know how to run a colony. I will need all your support. Claire?”

Claire came to my side and knelt at my feet. Tears ran down her face. “I place my fealty with you, Queen Mira.”

I gently pulled her to her feet. “You are a quandary, Claire. I recommend that Claire, for now, be placed under house arrest. Do we have such a thing?”

Pascoal nodded.

“Recompense must be made to those that lost their lives due to your actions. However, your change of heart is duly noted. We will determine what that may look like in the future. Go be with your family.”

Claire tipped her head and solemnly moved to stand next to her father.

Tayn faced me a bowed. “May I speak, your Highness?”

I sighed. “If you must.”

“I believe it would be appropriate to bring in the guards and take the mercenaries and the four senators to holding cells until such time as they can be tried for any crimes against Oceanus. Are you able to release them one by one so the guards can bring them safely?”

“Yes. Agreed.”

With a wave of his hand, guards unlocked the doors to arrange for those to be led from the senate chambers.

When this was completed, Pascoal addressed the remaining people in the room.

“With your permission, Queen Mira, I would like to arrange for a communication to all of Oceanus. It will merely focus on the senate’s approval of you becoming our new queen and not what transpired here today. We would not want to taint the citizens with speculations of a coup attempt.”

Lucas looked up to his father. “If the senate permits, I would like permission to kiss the queen.”

“You don’t need our permission, son.”

Lucas took me in his arms and kissed me. I would have been embarrassed but the beauty of the soul bond made it easy to forget who else was in the room.

***

Five days had passed and the weight of being a leader was pressing down on me. Hundreds of decisions had to be made, processes that had to be followed with exacting care to officially place me as Queen of Oceanus, media events, and meeting with key dignitaries made up my days. Every minute of the day I felt an urgency in the pit of my stomach to find my mom. Pascoal assured me that until all steps were completed, the rule of Oceanus was split. While I could demand access to my mom, I didn’t have the oaths in place with the department heads. Cassie told me it was better to rip the bandage off all at once so that there was no chance of being blocked or denied.

I had been staying in the royal villa, a magnificent and beautiful home that rivalled mansions of the human world. For all the exquisite artwork, craftsmanship, and technology, I paid little attention to them. I was only there long enough to sleep before I was up and out again for the next day’s extended agenda.

At least Lucas was able to stay close to me, separated by multiple master suites that were now occupied by Tayn and Athera. Lucas was at one end of the villa and I was at the other. What good was it to be Queen to not be able to decide who I slept with? Although, I couldn’t touch Lucas without wanting to do much more than kiss, so sleeping with him might not have happened anyways.

It was the morning of the fifth day that Lucas found me at the bottom of the swimming pool. He sat on the edge and dangled his feet in the water. I waved at him to let him know I was fine. I had been down there for thirty minutes trying to avoid the villa staff and the relentless and endless list of work to accomplish. I found the water peaceful, drowning out the cares of the world. Lucas had been right in that my body would take energy from around me to keep me alive. I had no need to breathe and I could propel myself around the water easily by creating jets and currents. I felt like a mermaid.

I surfaced and made my way to Lucas.

“That’s disconcerting seeing you down there all that time.”

“It’s probably more disconcerting for you that when you get tired of me there is little you can do to kill me off. My body will respond instantly to threats to protect me so throwing me off a cliff or drowning me for my life insurance money is out of the question.”

“I will never tire of you.”

I pulled him into the water and kissed him. The staff found us there, blushed at the sight of us, and gently indicated it was time for breakfast. When we didn’t leave the pool, Tayn and Athera were sent to chaperone.

“It is time for breakfast, young lady.”

I kissed Lucas again. “I thought Lucas was my breakfast.”

Lucas grinned. “Technically, you don’t need breakfast.”

Tayn splashed us from the edge of the pool. “I guess you’re not interested in getting your mother today?”

My eyes shot open in the middle of a heated, lingering kiss. “What?”

“While there is still more to do, we have reached a tipping point. Everyone knows and recognizes you as queen. Even though there are nuances and meetings yet to occur, we believe no one will deny or reject your claim as the vast majority have sworn their oaths. You now have full control over the military and guards, allowing you to freely direct them. You can get your mother, Mira.”

With that startling revelation, I was moving. I lifted Lucas and me up and out of the water, dried us, and with a last kiss, I ran to my bedroom to change for the day.

At some point in the past days, my measurements were taken and a closet full of regal, amazing clothing had appeared. Today, I picked a sleek white dress that shimmered like the surface of the ocean at sunset. There was no time to put my mass of hair up in a way deemed proper for a queen, but I cared little for that. I was on a mission.

I raced back into the main part of the house, took three bites of eggs, bacon, and toast, moaning slightly at how amazing and common it tasted. Atlanteans ate what people ate on the surface, although the food here seemed to have an extra burst of flavor and nutrients. This was something I would need to learn about from the head of the agriculture guild.

I skidded to a stop on the slick quartz floors as Athera gave me a gesture to slow down.

“Do you know what you need to get to your mother, Mira?”

That caused me to pause. “I don’t even know where she is.”

“We have discovered Irabella is in the Oceanus prison. It is located twenty miles from Oceanus proper. You will need a craft to take you there. I suggest a limited number of people come with you. I would never tell you to separate from Lucas and as head of your royal guard, Tayn and I should also go. A ten-man shuttle craft will do. Being queen, you will also be required to have at least two fighter craft for escort.”

“Atlantean Secret Service… got it. Let’s go.”

“Do you know how to arrange all of this?”

“Were you this annoying to my mom?”

“No. But then again she grew up here and didn’t need to be taught all the things you never learned. I also didn’t raise her like I did you.”

“I learned a lot about delegation these past few days. Can’t I just say I want to go get Mom and, poof, things happen?”

Athera raised an eyebrow. “It is always good to know what it takes and who is tasked with work efforts when you simply give a command, your Highness.”

“But it’s my mom!”

Athera tapped her foot in silent scolding communication. I never understood how she could do that, and I knew what she was saying.

“Fine. Tell me what I need to know, what I need to do, and who is involved.”

“I have already organized everything anticipating your eagerness.”

I tossed my arms out wide and looked over at Tayn. “How do you live with her?”

He shrugged. “It’s one of the drawbacks to having a soul mate. I didn’t get to choose someone that was more aligned with my wit and charm.”

Athera kissed Tayn then stepped back mischievously. “You’re sleeping on the couch tonight.”

Tayn laughed. “You can’t turn off your undeniable gravitation to my handsome maleness.”

Lucas slipped his hand into mine and I felt a spark. There was no way I would ever be able to force myself apart from Lucas. At least not after we were married. It was mandatory we not… I blushed just letting my thoughts go where they shouldn’t.

“Let’s go! You can tell me all the steps along the way, Athera, so that next time I can do it myself and understand how my word or command impacts everyone around me.”

“Very good, sweetheart. You will make a fine leader one day.”

I grumbled.

***

I imagined my life a little like that of the President of the United States but with the addition of a plethora of nannies. My travel anywhere outside of Oceanus would require notification be made to the senate, the guards, and the military. Travel coordinators would identify the timing, schedule, and anything needed at the other end of my journey, such as transportation, clothing if going to the surface, and who I might be meeting with. If the travel took longer than a day, then rotating schedules for staff to guide, pilot, escort, procure, cook, or plan would also need to be accounted for.

My short excursion to find and bring my mom home would involve approximately one hundred people. The effort blew my mind. If Mom were in a prison on the surface, I would just grab my truck, load it with C4, and blow up the prison walls. No big deal. Just me and my truck. But no… Not as Queen.

I rolled my eyes as Athera handed me a communication device to slip into my ear. We had just left Oceanus and were closing in on the prison.

“That’s so you can listen in on the communications from the ship. You can tap it to talk, but just listening for now will help you learn.”

“Why does it feel like I haven’t stopped my studies?”

Tayn winked at me. “Oh… They’ve just begun.” Then he added just to rub it in. “Your Highness.”

I turned to Lucas who just sat back happy as a clam with a grin on his face.

“Don’t look so smug. You and I are getting married. You will be king.”

“But you’re the heir. I’m just given a title because of you. You are still the leader.”

“That’s…”

Concerned chatter came across my earpiece.

‘We have incoming war craft. I’m counting two dozen.’

‘Do we abort?’

‘They’re tracking us and moving to intercept.’

Athera jumped into the conversation. ‘You will fire only if fired upon. Defensive maneuvers!’

Our craft rolled left, then right. Our two escort war craft cut in front of us. One of our pilots came back and handed out wrist bracelets. I was about to ask what it was for when an explosion thudded against the side of our craft. My bracelet skidded across the floor.

‘We are under attack! Escort craft one is down! We are firing!’

Athera’s voice sounded simultaneously in my earpiece and in person. ‘We are close to the prison airlock. Protect us if you can. Get us inside the prison barrier!’

‘Trying…’

Suddenly the craft lurched to the side as an explosion ripped through our hull. There was the sound of tearing metal just before water flooded the cabin. My body reacted instantly to the threat and changes in pressure. As the water and turbulence settled, I floated without a care as if I were at the bottom of the pool. I wasn’t cold and the water pressure didn’t bother me in the least. I looked around to see protective bubbles emanating from the wrist bracelets surrounding our pilots, Athera, Tayn, and Lucas. They were safe, for now.

I tapped my earpiece. ‘Can you hear me?’

‘We’re fine, Mira, but we have limited ability to move. There is still a threat and another shot from them and these shields we have won’t last. You’ll have to protect us if you can and try to get us to the prison.’

Lucas floated nearby and gave me a thumbs up. Seeing him like that tore at me. If I could cry underwater, I would. I couldn’t let anything happen to him or the others.

‘I’ve got this!’

I propelled myself through the hole in the cabin. Both our escort craft were in a similar state to ours. Three crystal torpedoes rocketed from the enemy craft intent on finishing us. They exploded against a shield of light I created. The shock waves reflected back and buffeted the enemy ships.

I was livid and thrust out my hands to send streams of water that knocked the enemy craft backwards end over end.

‘This is Oceanus Prison base operations, Queen Mira. We see what is happening and Oceanus is scrambling our forces. We are picking up chatter from the enemy frequencies.’

‘I can hold off the enemy. I need our people rescued. Can you patch me through to the enemy frequencies?’

‘We have a rescue team on the way. Patching you through now, your Highness.’

‘This is Mira, Queen of Oceanus to the enemy vessels. You will stand down and retreat or be destroyed.’

‘We were told of the existence of an elemental. While you are impressive, you can’t stand against our might. You will surrender to Arcellos immediately or we will open fire.’

‘You do not want to test me as I do not want blood on my hands. If you do not retreat, I will destroy you.’

‘I have no choice.’

‘We all have a choice.’

‘You don’t understand.’

Four enemy craft moved directly in front of me. Pink lasers shot through the water towards me. Once again, my body reacted, saw the energy within the beams and absorbed it. The power I held around me and now within me was staggering. I sent the laser-like energy beams back towards the four ships, shearing off their steering wings. I thrust them back from me with currents that threatened to tear them apart. They rolled end over end crashing back into the craft behind them. Flickers of shields were all I registered that the craft hulls were still intact. I didn’t want to kill anyone.

‘Who are you?’

‘I told you who I was. I can do this all day. Don’t force me to kill your people. I assume you are the leader of this attack. Surrender to me now and send the rest of your team back to Arcellos.’

One of the ships moved forward while the others retreated. Grappling hooks took hold of the four disabled craft and they were towed away into the darkness.

‘I surrender and give my oath to the Queen of Oceanus that I will take no more aggressive actions against her or her people. I ask that you take me to the Oceanus prison.’

It was an odd request.

‘Agreed. Oceanus Prison base operations, I need an escort for this Arcellos ship. We will dock in the prison.’

‘Yes, your Highness. Well done. I am grateful we have someone with your power protecting the citizens of Oceanus. The rescue team in retrieving our people as we speak. We are opening the outer barrier now. You will see the light. Guide the enemy craft into the portal.’

‘Thank you. Patch me back to the enemy frequencies.’

‘Done, your Highness.’

‘You will follow me. I warn you now, do not break your oath.’

‘You will understand everything soon, Queen Mira.’

The rescue shuttle led the way, I followed them, and the enemy craft followed me. We made our way through the outer portal. When it was closed and the water removed and air pressure normalized, the inner portal opened. The prison was like Oceanus albeit much smaller. There were farmlands, forests, and lakes. I suspected the prisoners farmed to feed themselves as well as create produce for Oceanus. Flying was a new sensation for me. I had hovered before, but not flew. Adapting from water propulsion to air wasn’t that difficult. I followed the rescue transport to the ground. Guards were in abundance.

I landed near the shuttle just as Lucas stepped out. I threw my arms around him and kissed him.

“I thought I lost you.”

“Atlanteans have lived under the oceans for millennia. The bracelets protect us. I was more worried about you.”

I rubbed my nose against his. “I told you I would be hard to get rid of.”

“I never want to be rid of you.”

“Sorry to interrupt, your Highness. I am Bento Lista. Prison director. I listened and watched the attack. You do not disappoint. I no longer fear the prophecies. You will bring Atlantis back to what it once was.”

“Thank you and please thank your team for their rapid response. Let’s see to our newest prisoners.”

One man stepped from the Arcellos craft. He was tall, handsome, but haggard. He held his chin high and his wrists together for the guards to bind them. One guard investigated the enemy craft and gave an all clear sign.

I stepped forward and slapped the man. “How dare you bring your soldiers against Oceanus and attack us without provocation!”

“You look familiar, Queen Mira, even if you are all wet. Nice show of power, by the way. I didn’t believe the reports that an elemental was born at their coming of age.”

Water left my skin, hair, and clothes, leaving me perfectly dry.

“Who are you and why did you attack us?”

“I am Magus Vara, King of Arcellos. I believe you have my soul mate imprisoned here. I came to either save her or die trying to get to her.”

I turned to the guard. “Release him, please. I will take responsibility for his actions. Director Bento?”

“Yes, your Highness?”

“Make sure our people are taken care of. Is there a room I can speak with King Magus in private?”

“Yes. I will lead you.”

The guard removed the wrist bracelets and the Director took us inside the facility. He pointed to a room.

“Take your time, your Highness. I will have guards posted outside.”

“Thank you.”

I followed my father into the room and closed the door behind me.

“You might want to sit down.”

He sat and his eyes looked me over carefully. I paced back and forth.

“Your soul mate is Irabella Raya.”

He frowned. “How do you know this?”

“There was a battle nineteen years ago and you were captured. Irabella Raya was Queen of Oceanus at the time.”

He nodded.

“I’m going to speculate at this point. Queen Irabella met with you to negotiate your terms of surrender and remediation efforts. When you met, you discovered you were soul mates. Obviously, that impacted her decisions. You had relations with her, and she ultimately released you and your soldiers.”

His eyes narrowed. “How…?”

“Let me continue. Queen Irabella lost trust in her senate and the citizens for letting your people go. Her actions planted the seeds of doubt in her ability to reign. Factions splintered within Oceanus, factions that sought to overthrow her rule. Six months ago, the senate was informed that Queen Irabella was attempting to contact Arcellos. Her health was failing…”

He winced.

“A coup, of sorts, took place and Queen Irabella was imprisoned. The senate took control of Oceanus until I came of age last week and presented myself as the rightful heir.”

His eyes widened as he began processing all of this.

“I’m your daughter.”

Tears fell from his cheeks. He stood quickly and moved towards me, paused as fear gripped him. I pulled him into a hug.

“Hi Dad. Welcome to Oceanus.”

It was awkward and loving. Sobering, and frightening. Dad wept in my arms and I wept with him. After many minutes, we parted, and he looked me over afresh.

“I never knew you existed. I would have…” He sat and put his face into his hands.

“I never knew either. I mean, obviously, I knew I had a mom and dad, but they were not who I thought they were. I was raised as a human, isolated from the world and any knowledge of Atlantis. I was being protected from the factions within Oceanus that wanted to gain power and those that feared the prophesies. I only learned all of this a week ago.”

“And yet you’re now Queen of Oceanus. How did that happen?”

“With Mom deposed and imprisoned, I became the rightful heir. There was another coup attempt, but…”

“I saw how easily you defeated my soldiers.”

“I didn’t ask for this power. I didn’t ask to be queen. I’ll use what I have to save Mom and maybe put a stop to the wars.”

“You hold all the cards, Mira. I had Arcellos and Eretone with me on this last attack to free Irabella. By now all colonies know about you. I’m willing to work with you to secure a peace accord for Arcellos. Capases will join, leaving Eretone. They will be stubborn, but over time, they will agree once the rest have.”

“All of this, the attack, was to save Mom?”

“I’m dying being apart from her as I believe she is fading as well. If you understood the soul bond, you would understand what toll that takes on you, especially after being separated for so long.”

“I have a soul mate. He was with me on the shuttle you attacked.”

“That’s why you were so angry with me. He is all right?”

“Yes. If he had been hurt, I would have killed you all. I know it.”

“The first time we meet, and I attack my own daughter.” He shook his head and we fell into each other’s arms. More tears.

“You realize you’re royalty in Arcellos? You’re my heir.”

“Great.”

“You don’t sound too excited. We are a warrior colony. When the citizens of Arcellos see you, learn about you, you will be cherished far and wide. It will be easier to unite the colonies than you might believe.”

“I would be just happy to unite our family. I will go and see what I can do for Mom, then bring her to you.”

I moved to go, but he held my hand in his. “Look at you, my daughter… I never knew such beauty could exist or that I, a broken man, could be a small part of making something so exquisite. I don’t know you and you may find this hard to believe, but I love you and I hope we will be able to be the family that was deprived of us.”

Warmth, like the feeling of being wrapped in a blanket before a roaring fire on a freezing winter’s day, filled me. “It’s not hard to believe, Dad. I love you too and want the same thing. I’ll send a few people in to keep you company.”

I closed the door behind me and pulled in a shaky breath. The guards stood at attention and tipped their head towards me.

“Do you know where the others are?”

“Down the hall and to the left, your Highness.”

“Thank you.”

I found the prison director, Athera, Tayn, Lucas, and our pilots together. Lucas pulled me close.

“I’m going to see my mom. Lucas, Athera, and Tayn, perhaps you can keep my father entertained until I get back?”

The Director’s mouth opened but only air passed out of it.

“Yes. Go figure. The King of Arcellos is my father and he has agreed to a peace accord between Arcellos and Oceanus. Can you take me to my mom? I have a full pardon for her. I’ll be taking her home today. We will need an escort back to Oceanus later today and King Magus should be allowed to communicate with Arcellos and Eretone. I want to ensure there will be no more attacks.”

“I will make this happen.”

***

The door slid open silently. I expected a blank cell with a cot and little else. I wasn’t prepared for shelves with books, fine furniture, and a nurse hovering over what could only be my mother. I felt my stomach twist and my heart broke. My mother laid in the bed, her breath was labored, her skin was pale.

I watched her hand push the nurse away.

“Who is it?”

The nurse looked at me, recognizing me most likely from one of the hundreds of media, communications, or events I attended.

“I’ll give you both some time.”

The nurse slipped by me and the door sealed behind her. I took a small step forward, my tears already flowing.

Mom lifted her head and stared at me.

I couldn’t stop myself from moving to her side. My hands grasped hers and I buried my head next to hers so our cheeks were touching.

Her hand stroked my hair. She whispered my name.

“Mira… My daughter!”

A wail emanated from deep within me. My body wracked with sobs.

“It’s all right, sweetheart. We’re finally together.”

I crawled up into the bed with her and she wrapped her arms around me and held me tightly.

“I… “ I didn’t know what to say. The overwhelming burden and loss she had gone through to protect me pierced my soul. Pain came from regret so lashing and sharp it felt like I had swallowed glass. “I love you, Mom.” It was barely a whisper upon choked breath.

She coughed and I felt the sickness in her. Her energy was dark and foreboding.

“I’m sorry…”

“Shhhh. You have nothing to be sorry for.”

I pulled the energy from all around me. My hands glowed with warmth and life. I pushed it into her, seeking every damaged cell, every molecule of illness. What I found I pulled out and send far away.

“What’s happening?”

“I’m healing you.”

“No! I need to die. I can no longer bear to be apart from my soul mate. As much as I want to be with you, the burden has been too great. My soul mate… We can never be together and the pain…”

“Your soul mate is here, and you will live in peace together, with me. I won’t let you die, not when I just found you.”

I pushed more energy into her until there was nothing left to heal. Her breathing smoothed, her heart strengthened. Her muscles became tone and strong. Her hair shiny and glorious. Her dimmed eyes grew vibrant and alive.

I laid back so I could look at her face.

She looked at her hand that had been weak and emaciated. She cupped my face and held her forehead to mine.

“You’re the prophesied one. Only an elemental could have saved me. Let’s get up. I’ve spent too much time in bed.”

We never let go of each other as we stood. She pulled me into her arms, cupped my face and stared into my eyes. She stood back, never releasing my hands to look me over.

“It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be. I don’t blame you. I regret not having you in my life, but you’re here now and we are together, at last.”

“In prison. The senate will never release me.”

“You have been fully pardoned. I ran into someone on the way to come and get you today. Would you like me to take you to him?”

“He’s really here? Magus is here?”

“Come.”

When the door opened, the nurse looked bewildered.

“Irabella… You’re…”

“Healed. Thank you for taking care of me.”

Mom pulled my arm and we ran down the hallway together. We couldn’t arrive fast enough. The guards opened the door and I finally let go of her hand as she tackled Dad. Her hands moved to his face and seconds later they were kissing.

I took Lucas’ hand and with a nod to Tayn and Athera, we silently left the room.

***

I was a little worried that left unchaperoned I might have a brother or sister on the way, but an hour later Mom and Dad, flanked by the two guards, found us.

“They’re fine. Thank you for your service.”

The guards nodded. “Of course, your Highness. Let us know if you need anything.”

Mom looked at me. “Your Highness?”

“Did I forget to mention that?”

“You did. Come here.”

It was the first time my Mom and Dad wrapped me in their arms together. We were finally a real family. When my heart settled, I waved Tayn and Athera forward. A fresh wave of tears from Mom as she hugged them both.

“You sacrificed so much to protect my precious daughter. No reward is big enough to compensate you.”

Tayn chuckled. “You have no idea. Mira was trouble from day one.”

Athera nudged Tayn. “Don’t listen to him. Raising Mira has been the greatest honor I have ever had.”

Now I was crying again. Lucas slipped his hand into mine and squeezed it. Mom and Dad both noticed.

“Something else you need to share, Mira?”

“Nope. Nothing that can’t wait. Dad?”

“Yes, Mira?’

“I have made arrangements for you to contact Arcellos and Eretone. They need to understand the situation. If you need me or Oceanus’ senate to confirm anything, I am at your disposal. We want no accidents or skirmishes that could threaten our peace. On behalf of the Oceanus senate and my authority as Queen, I hereby release Arcellos and Eretone from liability and harm for the attacks on Oceanus as long as we set aside our age-old differences and willingly come together to reunite Atlantis.”

“You have my word. May I share with Arcellos that they have a new princess?”

I rolled my eyes. “Only if you must.”

Dad laughed.

***

The days sped by in rapid-fire succession. I traveled early to Arcellos to make certain their citizens saw their leader safe and sound. Once the stories were told, I was warmly received by all and a party was held to proclaim me Princess of Arcellos.

As the initial talks about peace began to propagate, there was a noticeable sigh of relief from the citizens. No lasting peace had ever occurred since Atlantis sank. People were hungry for it.

After a very busy week, Mom, Dad, Lucas, and I sat down for dinner together. They had moved into the Oceanus villa when they weren’t in Arcellos or the other colonies. We stayed close and I refused to let anyone separate the two of them.

“We’ve been thinking, Mira. I’m stepping down as King of Arcellos. Irabella and I have lost too much time. We need to focus on each other and be available to help you. I have been king for too long and our years apart have worn me down.”

“I can’t say that I blame you. Have you told your senate yet?”

“We discussed it. There are several options before us. Tomorrow, at the all-colony senate meeting, you will hear some proposals. Don’t be alarmed by them.”

“You’re just going to leave me hanging?”

“It is too early to tell what direction things will head.”

“I’m used to being in the dark.”

Mom reached across the table and took my hand. “Everything feels out of control right now, but we want time with you. We could never be far away from you. If it is acceptable to you, we would like to live with you wherever you are.”

“I would like that.”

***

For the first time in thousands of years, all leadership and senates of Atlantis came together in one place. It was historic and peaceful. Everything had gone smoothly, and peace accords were signed.

Dad stood to address everyone. “As you may have heard, the previous Queen of Oceanus, Irabella Raya and I are soul mates.”

While word had spread, this was still news to many.

“We lived apart, leading our colonies. The time away took its toll on both of us. We need time together to repair the damages that our time apart have done to us. I have spoken to the Arcellos senate and they have given me their blessing to step down as King of Arcellos. They gave their blessing knowing that I have an heir. Queen Mira of Oceanus is my daughter. She would become queen of both colonies.”

Why hadn’t I seen this coming?

Dad continued. “The Arcellos senate has met with the Oceanus senate. After lengthy discussions, one option that all were amenable to would be the merger of Arcellos and Oceanus, under single rule.”

That got everyone talking. It would make my life a little easier not having to deal with double the administration, but whoa...

“Under my direction, I called together the keepers of the crystals. I call upon Calros Laza to share their findings.”

Calros stood and addressed the crowd. “Thank you, King Magus. As with any major event in history, the energy confluences will adjust accordingly. The awakening of Mira Raya, an elemental, was prophesized thousands of years ago. We feared the outcome. As the time approached, two paths fell before us. Mira could bring the end of Atlantean civilization, or peace. I think we can all agree her arrival had brought us peace.

“The crystals have been telling us that there are now two paths before us that didn’t exist even days ago. One path leads to many millennia of prosperity. The other, a short period of peace followed by another great cataclysm.”

The crowd chatted wildly back and forth until Calros spoke again.

“The keepers of the crystal have all conferred and agree. There is only one path to prosperity. We must become one nation again. We must return to being the nation of Atlantis.”

Dad stood again. “Thank you Calros. Obviously, this path is challenging. No colony wants to give up their sovereignty. I believe this can be accommodated. One nation of Atlantis. One ruler. Arcellos has already offered to unite with Oceanus. Capases has agreed to join that union if it were to go forth. All eyes are on Eretone.”

The King of Eretone stood. “Who would lead us?”

“I submit that Mira Raya, who, with my stepping down and Capases uniting with a merged Arcellos and Oceanus, would be an option.”

I must have turned as white as a ghost.

“She’s eighteen years old and didn’t grow up within one of our colonies. I have heard the stories of her power, but power and size of a colony does not equate to wisdom to lead.”

“It is her uniqueness in being raised apart of Atlantean colonies that makes her a viable candidate. Yes, she is tied by birth to Oceanus and Arcellos, but she has the heart of a leader for all. Was it not your own soldiers that she spared when we attacked her convoy? Would any of us rule without favoritism? She loves all the people of Atlantis.”

I stood, not knowing exactly what I would say. “Growing up, Atlantis was nothing more than a myth to me; a myth of a city that was the envy of the world that collapsed and sank under the seas. I have seen what the world is like. I studied the wars of humankind and the atrocities they have heaped upon each other. I desire none of that. Some of you have seen what it means to be an elemental. Some of you fear the power that resides in and through me. I can tell you my heart yearns for peace. I want all Atlanteans to be able to find their soul mate. I want all Atlanteans to become more than we already are. I stand here not as an elemental, not as Queen of Oceanus, but as one of you. No matter what is decided, and believe me when I tell you ruling one colony is more than enough for anyone, I will abide and make myself available to protect all Atlanteans with every breath that is in me and with every beat of my heart.”

The debate began in earnest. For hours it went back and forth as options were weighed and discussions about lost autonomy became heated. Power and wealth seemed to be a central theme. Not that it was openly discussed, but veiled behind suggestions of trade, economy, and who would lead lucrative businesses.

An alarm sounded, screens materialized before our eyes, and a messenger ran into the room where we all sat. Live images flickered to life on the screens. The scenes unfolding before were horrific.

The messenger addressed me, but made his voice loud enough for all to hear. “My Queen! An ocean freighter hit an iceberg and is sinking. The freighter has broken apart and large pieces have fallen directly onto Eretone. Sections of the crystal barriers have collapsed and there is flooding in the colony.”

“Mobilize all rescue craft immediately. Send whatever military resources we can to help with the effort and secure the area. There will be a search for the ship and we will need to move it away from Eretone. Oceanus senate, do you have anything to add?”

“We concur.”

“I urge everyone to follow suit. I think… I think I might be able to help.”

The King of Eretone tore his eyes from the screens. “We are halfway around the world. What can you do to help?”

“I told you I would protect all Atlanteans with everything I had in me. I… I think I can get there. I have not tried this, only theorized that I might be able to transmit myself from one place to another.”

“Even if you could, no one person has the power within them to fix this.”

“I don’t use my own power. I use the energy around me. I am a conduit of all energy forms. While it does drain me to do so, I believe I can help the people of Eretone.”

Lucas came to my side. I could read his emotions. He was terrified about what I was going to attempt. I kissed him, deciding it was better not to speak a word.

“Make a space.”

Mom and Dad stood. “You don’t need to do this, Mira.”

“Yes, I do.”

I closed my eyes and felt the energy all around me. I merged with it, becoming one with it. The world vanished around me and I floated. I was free from the constraints of my body. I was one with the cosmos. How long I floated, I didn’t know. I could have stayed this way until the end of time but there was a tug on my spirit. An image formed in my mind of a young man. My heart that was no more connected to the image. It beat once, twice. Lucas. In a flash, all my memories came to me. Lucas, my parents, Eretone. I focused on Eretone and I was there. I reformed myself from the energy around me and I stepped in utter chaos.

Screams were happening all around me. The large propellers of a giant freighter spun slowly through a fractured crystal dome. Shields of light had been erected to hold some of the collapse, but I could see it was inevitable. The dome was losing its strength and the efforts to repair it were failing.

I flew to the fracture and hovered in place. This was by far more energy manipulation than I had ever attempted. I moved through the gaping hole and into the water outside of the dome. Part of the massive ship lay on its side and wasn’t an immediate threat. I doubted I could move the ship, but I could use the energy from it. I began pulling apart the rear of the ship. The amount of energy was overwhelming me. I funneled some of the energy into the crystal dome to strengthen it, I formed new shields of light where there were holes. Still, even as the ship began to crumble, I was infused with too much power. I created a bubble of air around the front pieces of the ship. I made them larger and larger until the pieces of the ship began to float just above the ocean floor. With a scream, I fueled a current to drift the pieces far away.

I refocused my efforts on the rear of the freighter dissolving it into dust. I flew back through the crystal dome and filled in the remaining gaps with shields of light. It was holding, but beneath me buildings had collapsed and sections of the colony had flooded. I reached for the energy in the flood waters and used it to recreate piece by piece the outer crystal shield. When that was repaired, I did the same for the inner shield. By the time that was completed, most of the flood waters were gone. What was left were the people and utter devastation.

I dropped to the ground to a young boy whose body was mangled. He was beyond saving, but I cradled him to my chest, closed my eyes but that couldn’t stop the tears. I sought out the life energy of the wounded. I could see their life force among the wreckage. I pulled energy into myself and pushed healing power to every injured person around me.

I could feel hearts beating stronger and bodies being mended.

I sat there well after I stopped the healing flow, the boy still cradled in my lap. Someone tapped me on my shoulder and I looked up.

“Oh… Oh my. You’re Mira, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“You… You were glowing.”

I gently laid the boy on the ground and stood to my feet. I was barely able to stand. The woman next to me helped me find some much needed support.

“How can I help?”

“There are some people trapped, but I think you may have healed them.”

“Show me where they are.”

We began to walk towards the shattered buildings when I paused. I turned back to kneel at the young boy’s side and brought forth life all around him. Flowers bloomed in an array of vibrant colors. I wiped the tears from my cheeks and let the woman lead me through the remains of a portion of Eretone.

Hours later as I worked to free the last of those trapped, support craft from the other colonies arrived. Mom, Dad, and Lucas ran to my side. The woman who had led me to those trapped had stayed with me as we worked. She stepped in front of me, protecting me.

“It’s all right. They’re with me. I don’t even know your name.”

“I’m Liria.”

The King of Eretone rushed from a second craft. He swept the woman into his arms and kissed her.

“You’re alive!”

I smiled and collapsed into Lucas’ arms.

***

The smell of all things heavenly stirred me from my deep slumber.

“It’s about time you woke up.”

Mom gently stroked my hair as I opened my eyes. I was in a beautiful quartz and glass room and lying in a comfortable bed.

“I feel refreshed.”

“I would hope so. You slept for two days.”

“Two days? Wait? Where am I?”

“You’re still in Eretone. Sit up and eat some breakfast.”

The smell of bacon caused my stomach to growl. Mom passed me a heaping plate of food. I paused for a moment.

“Lucas. He is helping near the dome wall?”

“You know where he is?”

“I can feel his energy. It’s unique. Everyone’s is. Something happened when I came here. I became nothing but energy. I was one with it and I was lost with no sense of knowing who I was and any awareness of time. I felt a pull on me. It was Lucas calling me back. I remembered what I was doing and who I was. Our bond saved my life. I would not have made it here without it. When I arrived, I was connected to my abilities beyond which I could even understand. I was able to transmute energy into something new. I should go help them rebuild.”

I pushed up but Mom held me down.

“Eat. Then after you get yourself cleaned up, you can rejoin the efforts.”

I greedily ate the food and showered, using my ability to dry myself instantly. Mom had left me a new dress as my old one was beyond repair. I changed and left my room running into Mom again.

“I can see it in your eyes. You won’t rest. There is a shuttle outside the door to take you to the work site.”

I threw my arms around her. “Love you!”

She smiled and watched me run from the house. I didn’t get into the shuttle. I flew myself right to Lucas. He was directing the removal of collapsed buildings.

“You’re awake!”

“Yes. And I need a kiss.”

Everything paused as we kissed in front of all the workers.

“How can I help?”

“We need to remove this building and prepare the land for new construction.”

“Got it. Any idea what you want the new building to look like?”

“They want to build a memorial for those that lost their lives.”

“Please have everyone move away.”

Lucas didn’t question me. With a call to the crew of workers, they all moved behind us. I closed my eyes and saw the ruined structures around me. I used the energy from them and as they fell to dust, a new building began rising from the ground. I built it out of glass, gold, and crystal. It formed itself with curved spires and arches that would collect the light and refract it down through its prismed walls into the large opening within it. I could envision the light creating a dazzling kaleidoscope of colors. I lowered the ground around the building and fed water into as like a reflecting pond. A crystal walkway led into the interior.

I thought of the dead boy’s green eyes and placed an altar of pure emerald in the center. I opened my eyes and wiped my tears to see what I had already envisioned.

“It’s breathtaking and appropriate. No building has ever been so beautiful. A fitting memorial.”

I turned to find Liria.

“Eretone is in your debt. In everyone’s debt.”

“No. Eretone owes me nothing.”

“Even after we attacked you?”

“What is history if not but a reminder of who we should be and strive to become?”

The King of Eretone arrived and stared at the memorial site.

“Queen Mira. The majority of the work is completed. The ship, or what was left of it, is hundreds of miles away. Eretone is in no further danger. The Atlantis peace meetings have begun again. All the delegates are here. We need you there.”

“Can you give me a moment, please?”

“Of course. Take your time.”

I fashioned a real red rose in my hand and walked up the crystal pathway into the memorial building. I knelt and tenderly placed the rose at the foot of the altar.

I turned to find the King and Queen of Eretone and Lucas watching me. Once again, I wiped the tears from my eyes.

“They are all here. Those that died. I built the altar from a small piece of each of them. They are one with the world now. They are at rest, but their energy will remain with us all until the end of the universe.”

Liria hugged me and led us to the waiting shuttle.

***

Axel Barro, King of Eretone, stood among the delegates of all the Atlantean colonies.

“I would like to begin the proceedings by thanking the colonies for coming to support us in our moment of need. Colonies that we have fought against and had declared as our enemies offered their assistance and asked for nothing in return. I have witnessed a glimmer of what we once were and what we can be again. After speaking with our senate, Eretone stands united with all Atlantean colonies. I believe it is time to set aside peace accords and alliances, for they are nothing more than agreements of a divided people. What these past days have taught me is that we can be better if we are together.

“I admit, I had my doubts that an outsider to Atlantean culture could love our people as much as we love them ourselves. I was wrong. I will never forget that Mira Raya saved Eretone. I will never forget how she risked her own life for those that so recently attacked her. I will never forget how she exhausted herself helping us and healing our injured. And I will never forget her tears of grief over our fallen.

“Mira Raya may not have been raised as an Atlantean, but she has a heart for them. She may not be trained to lead a colony, but she is someone that leads by example, serving and not being served. It is for these reasons that I, Axel Barro, King of Eretone, with the blessings of the Eretone senate, submit to the leadership of the Atlantean colonies, that Atlantis be reborn as one united nation, under the rule of Mira Raya. She will need our support and a strong, united government to rebuild what was lost to us thousands of years ago. What say you, leaders of Atlantis?”

Lucas slipped his arm around my waist as I fought to quell my nerves. I didn’t need this in my life. I didn’t want it. The room was silent and for an excruciating moment, I was relieved knowing I could slip into obscurity. Then, one by one, people stood and shouted their declaration, “I stand with Atlantis! I stand with Mira Raya!”

When the entire room, including Lucas had stood, all eyes had turned to me.

Axel waved his hands for everyone to be seated. “What say you, Mira Raya?”

***

The spark that ignited in me from Lucas’ hands on my face was nothing compared to the lingering flame from his kiss.

“We can do this, Mira.”

I nodded. A grin slowly forming on my face. “How do you want to tackle this?”

“Together, as always.”

We spun and drew our wooden swords. On the other side of the yard stood Claire, who had been put on a path to redemption. Mom and Dad, who twirled their wooden swords a few feet from Claire, kissed each other.

Claire rolled her eyes. “Seriously? I’m surrounded by people that found their soul mates. It’s disgusting.”

Cassie and Basil, who had recently become engaged to be married, winked at each other.

Athera smiled. “You want to make this interesting, Mira? Losing side cleans up. Lasagna for ten… that’s a lot of dishes.”

“Bring it on.”

Tayn chuckled. “Your shoelace is untied, Mira.”

“Always the trickster, Tayn.”

There was a collecting yell as we all charged each other.

***

Lucas wiped the dish I had just passed to him.

“You could have told me my shoelace was untied.”

“Tayn had already pointed that out. Besides, this way I get you all to myself. I wanted to ask you if you would go the prom with me.”

“Paul already asked me.”

“I can’t believe the senate let him return.”

“He’s being monitored and has community service to make up for his crimes.”

“You’re going with Paul then?”

“Of course not. I told him no. I was hoping you would ask me. I was getting desperate though. Another day and I might have taken him up on it.”

“Everything is going to change for us in a few weeks. You asked for time to be with your family and finish school before you become Queen of Atlantis. Your window of normalcy is closing.”

“Our window. You won’t get away from this unscathed. I had someone tell me that normalcy is a fallacy. He was right. The best we can hope for is living a life that we find fulfilling and expect that changes will occur. If we surround ourselves with people we love, anything life throws at us will eased.”

We finished the dishes and walked into the backyard together. Lucas was quiet.

“What’s wrong, Lucas?”

“I was just thinking. When you become Queen of Atlantis, you will be very busy.”

“No matter what happens, I will still prioritize family.”

“I hope that include me.”

“How could it not? I can’t be apart from you for a minute without my heart being torn asunder.”

“Then, let’s make it official.” Lucas dropped to one knee and held up a ring. “Will you, Mira Raya, marry me?”

“You know my answer for every beat of my heart beats for you. Yes, I will marry you!”

I felt the gentle push of a ring onto my finger and the thrill of his touch. I melted into his embrace and if it wasn’t for the cheers of family and friends sneaking in from hidden locations around us, we might not have stopped this time.

I entwined my fingers with Lucas’, and we were smothered by hugs and kisses. My life had taken many turns. I recalled straining my neck to look around the next corner to see what my future held. Now, I only had to look into the eyes of my soul mate , friends, and family. It was good enough. It was perfect. The future would unfold at its own pace, I could wait for what it brought forth in my life, all except for my wedding night.

*** End ***

Dear readers,

I is always a pleasure to write something new for you. I hope you enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoyed dreaming it up and writing it. I ask that you please consider doing me a small favor. Please leave a review or send me a private message about the story and what it meant to you. It is all the payment I want.

Blessing to you,

Avia Conner/Casey Brooke

up
242 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

thank you!

kristin's picture

I nice way to spend a Sunday. Your story was fun to read, well written and I liked your writing style. I look forward to more examples of your talent.
Thank you, Kristyn

kristyn nichols

Excellent story!

You obviously put a lot of energy and time into crafting this. Thank you for your hard work. Looking forward to more from you in the future.

Wow

Valcyte's picture

Where are you from? Another world? I didn’t stop ‘til I finished. Do it again please.

Thank you

Avia Conner's picture

If you liked Mira, you should check out my book page. I have lots more.

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

Avia

Classic...

An almost quintessential Casey Brooke story, regardless of the byline. Always great to see more from you.

Eric

Mira

Excellent story. I loved the way Mira was presented. It is more science fiction than anything but I feel Mira belongs here. Her definition of normalcy is outstanding. Well done.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Fantasy/science fiction

I normally avoid science fiction/fantasy stories as they are not my thing, but Mira held me entranced from start to finish Avia. a wonderful story, excellently told.

Gill x

Loved it!

Thoroughly enjoyed this tale with a difference. More please!

Wow!

A corking good story! Well written, literate, great characters, action, love, what's not to like. A great way to spend a couple of hours on a Monday morning. Thank you for writing.

Mira

Another great story / adventure by Avia. Mira does not disappoint. No matter if the adventure is on another planet or in the jungle there will be heroines, magic, adventure and comedy.
Avia is a talent among the best.

Willow

Willow

Lovely!

Another wonderful story from a talented artist, that paints pictures in my head and heart with her words.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Beautiful story

It brought me to tears.....
Good tears!
Thank you so much for sharing this with us :-)

Thank you

This was a wonderful story i should have read it sooner.

EllieJo Jayne

Epic Tale

Glenda98's picture

An amazing story, extremely well written. It ranks highly with other fantasy and sci-fi novels from other well respected authors.

Glenda Ericsson

Classic Avia!

Aine Sabine's picture

I really loved this story and it's good to see a story of hers again! I will admit I was able to predict the Soulmate thing as soon as it was mentioned, but loved everything about it! Can't wait for the next. Oh wait, there is another new one! Heheh!

Aine

And another “Well done!” to

And another “Well done!” to add to your well deserved collection. Thank you.