Hunted

Printer-friendly version
Hunted.jpg

Hunted

Book two of the Valg

***

From the author:

This story is the second in a trilogy. While it can stand alone, it is much better understood if you read my first story, “Turned.” Turned introduces the fictional universe which is the set for the trilogy. This story begins right after Turned ends, but with all new characters. Don’t worry if you are not seeing your favorite characters from “Turned” as they will return for the final story.

Please enjoy and let yourself be taken away for a few hours as you read this.

Avia Conner

***

Hebetudinous, the state of dullness and lethargy. I found myself looking up words to describe my job as a technical writer and this word was particularly precise. It was fascinating, really, not the job, but the words I was finding.

I wasn’t surprised when my boss leaned over my cave-like, windowless, stained, mustard-yellow, inner-building cubicle wall. He did it often enough. He pushed his glasses back up his pock-marked nose and smiled with a hint of delightful glee.

“Good morning, Stan. We just received a new contract with Billings-Cartier. They manufacture asbestos-free, fire-retardant roof shingles that look like cedar shakes. Fascinating product. They need two technical manuals written, one for installers and one for salespeople.”

He pulled a cart around to my cubicle opening. The wheels groaned ominously as the eighty-plus pounds of notes, loose pages, ratty baby-blue binders, and research documents provided by Billings-Cartier came into view.

“They want to keep the manuals simple, no more than two hundred pages apiece and they need them by month’s end.”

I tore my glassy, unfocused eyes from the overly-burdened cart. “But… That’s in less than two weeks.”

“Which is why I came to you. No one else wanted the job. They said it was impossible.”

“Have you considered that the prognostications of the other writers might indeed be correct?”

My boss just ignored my response by turning and walking away. “I’ll expect drafts in a week.”

My attention was drawn back to the cart as a small avalanche of binders fell off the pile effectively blocking my exit from my cubicle. I let out a subtle but lengthy groan.

***

It was after seven that night when I arrived home from work. It had taken me all day to simply organize the information into content-specific piles. My brain was traumatized and as numb as a big toe in flip flops during an Alaskan winter. I questioned whether it was even worth returning to the office Monday morning, but I gave myself the weekend to contemplate my career choices. I had just sunk into the comfortable cushions of my couch and closed my eyes to tune out the world when a knock sounded at my door.

I grumbled as I got up and looked through the peephole. A well-dressed couple stood at the door. I opened it a sliver.

“I don’t know what you’re selling, and I don’t need salvation, at least the kind you’re offering.”

The beautiful blonde-haired woman let her eyes pass over me. “We’re not… My name is Salle and this is Viktor. Are you Stan Westly?”

“Yes.”

The man offered an irritated huff and pushed open the door with seemingly little effort considering I was still holding most of my body behind it. He stepped inside. “We don’t have time for niceties.”

“Hey! Get out of my apartment!”

The woman stepped inside and closed the door. “We need to verify your DNA.”

“My what? What’s this all about? I’m calling the police!”

I reached for my phone on the counter, but the man had it in his hand before my arm even left my side.

The woman looked exasperated with him. “I told you we need to be sensitive during these types of encounters. Stan? May I call you Stan?”

“Yes, but…”

The man grabbed me by my upper arms, lifted me off the ground as easily as if I were a ten-pound tabby cat, and plopped me down into a chair.

“Viktor! Was that necessary?”

He stood stoically next to the chair. “Just get on with it, Salle. We have two more on the list in case this isn’t the one we’re looking for.”

At this point, I was scared for my life. “Look, I didn’t do anything in case you think I stole something from you. I don’t own anything of value if you want to steal something from me. My job isn’t worth blackmailing, and you aren’t carrying an Awake magazine or a very large check. What do you want from me and why do you need a sample of my DNA?”

Salle sighed while casting a sidelong glance at Viktor. “I’m sorry, Stan. We should have explained this while we were still outside the door. We believe you could be the son of some very important people. We’ve been tasked with identifying that person. I just need a blood sample.”

There was something about the woman that put me at ease even though my mind was churning. These people broke into my apartment and yet I found myself complying. “Sure. What do you need? An arm, a finger, or…” I glanced at Viktor, “…my neck?”

“A finger will do.”

“I get to keep it, right? My finger?”

She smiled. “Of course, Stan.”

I held out my hand and quick as a wink, she pricked it and squeezed out a drop of blood into a vial with golden liquid in it. She shook the vial and it turned a vibrant green, then a deep brown.

“I guess that means I’m not who you’re looking for.”

“Quite the contrary, Stan. This confirms you’re the right person. May we sit?”

Viktor sat without hesitation and before I could utter a word. The woman waited until I nodded.

“What’s this all about?”

Salle leaned forward. “You don’t know who your real parents are, do you?”

“No. I looked but never found any leads.”

“They’re dead.” Viktor said with a neutral tone. He tapped his foot slowly.

“Seriously, Viktor?” Salle glared at him.

Viktor’s fingers thrummed softly on the arm of the sofa. “Just get on with it. We need to convince him to meet the elders for the awakening.”

My gaze danced back and forth between the two, appreciatively landing on Salle. I sucked in a deep breath surprised by the calming scent of flowers emanating from her. “I don’t even know what to say. You barge into my apartment, shove me down, take my blood, then tell me my real parents are dead. What gives?”

“We have a job for you, inherited from your parents, who…” She made a face at Viktor, “… recently departed the living.”

“So, no billions of dollars? How does one inherit a job?”

“Your parents left you a substantial amount of money. As for the job, in our… culture, it is much more common for a child to inherit the job of their parents.”

I sat up a little more. “What would be considered substantial?”

Viktor assessed the small one-bedroom apartment with a moment’s glance. “Your parent’s bathroom was larger than this place.”

It took me a moment to process his statement. “I’m still struggling with what you have shared and the manner you have come to me. You’re telling me my parents were wealthy and I inherited everything they owned?”

Salle leaned forward slightly. “Including their job. Yes. It’s rather complicated. The job comes with a home.”

“I can’t just up and leave my current job for something I don’t even know, was never trained for, and I’m assuming the position is located somewhere else.”

Viktor huffed. “Of course, you can. I told you, Salle. It would be easier for me to thump him on the head and simply deal with the aftermath later.”

Salle glared at Viktor. “Why don’t you step outside for a bit while I talk to Stan alone?”

Viktor stood and quickly moved to the door. “These human abodes are stifling anyways.”

“Why did he say human?”

“This may be hard for you to grasp. Viktor is a vampire and I’m a Fae.”

I laughed but stopped when her eyes began to glow green and my half-dead African violet doubled in size and suddenly exploded into a plethora of purple blossoms. My legs began moving trying to back me out of the chair I was sitting in.

“Relax, Stan.”

Calm enveloped me with her words.

“Let me put this as simply as I can. Your mother, Mora Dayvale, was Fae. Your father, Darrow Huntington, was a Shifter. Together they were the only Hunters of our supernatural community. With their passing, you will now become the next Hunter. We would like to convince you to attend an awakening ceremony to unlock your Fae and Shifter powers.”

“That’s easy enough to comprehend if it had even the tiniest shred of reality. If you honestly believe what you’re telling me and it’s true, I write technical manuals. Except for looking for a job, I’ve never hunted a thing in my life.”

“While you will need some training, skills will be automatically harnessed through the awakening process and additional ones will be bequeathed during the ceremony to anoint you as a Hunter.”

“Let’s say that you’re not lying and there are Fae, vampires, and Shifters…”

“Don’t forget witches and mages.”

“Of course, we can’t forget those.” I rolled my eyes. “I’m a pathetic, boring human. My plants all die. Isn’t that evidence to suggest I’m not some werefae.”

“You’re a Fae Shifter hybrid, not a werefae. All supernatural beings would pass as fully human until they’ve been awakened, or in some cases turned. Now that this is all shared, we should be going.”

“Get going? It’s been… amusing, and I can’t deny sitting across from the most beautiful woman I have ever seen hasn’t been the highlight of my life, which probably tells you a lot about me, but no. I think I will stay. Please take Dracula with you when you leave.”

Salle stood. “We’ll be back in the morning. Think about what we’ve said.”

***

Sleep eluded me that night. I kept thinking I had simply dreamed it all, but one look at my African violet and I knew something had certainly happened. Whether or not their story was true or that they were a Fae and a vampire was highly suspect.

I just finished breakfast when a knock sounded at my door. As soon as I opened it, Viktor barged right in just like last time.

“What’s your decision?”

I watched Viktor move to the fridge and open the door. He turned away with a disgusted look on his face. Salle stepped inside and I found it hard not to simply stare at her. In the sunlight, she was radiant.

“I’m interested, but you have to admit, it all sounds rather far-fetched. Grandpa Munster here is out in the sun. Doesn’t that mean he isn’t a vampire?”

Within a single heartbeat, I was against the wall will Viktor’s fangs descending towards my neck. He whispered with his low gravelly voice. “You watch too many movies and read too many urban myths.”

Note to self, never irritate a vampire.

Viktor let me go and I rubbed my bruised shoulder that he had used to hold me against the wall.

“Would more proof help?” Salle suggested. “We could take you to Revaria.”

“Is that a country next to Bulgaria? Do I need a passport? Will we meet Frankenstein, or better yet, Selene the vampire from the movie Underworld?”

Viktor growled.

“Revaria is the capital city for all supernatural beings. It’s on another plane of existence.”

“Like a parallel universe?”

“Something like that.”

“Sure. Why not? It’s not like I had any plans for this weekend.”

Salle’s eyes glowed and with a circular motion of her hand, a shimmering portal opened next to my couch.

“Travelling through a…”

Viktor shoved me into the portal. I twisted and spun, feeling quite nauseous until I stumbled into a park. I gasped at the sudden cessation of motion, putting my hands on my knees to keep from throwing up.

Salle glowered back at Viktor who just stepped through the portal. “As I was saying, travelling through a portal can be quite disorientating. Take several deep breaths.”

When the queasiness eased, I stood and looked around. Far from the cool, windy, cloudy day it was in Chicago, the air here was warm and the sky a deep blue. Colors appeared brighter than I ever imagined they could be. I felt a deep sense of belonging and peace as if I were finally home.

“Where are we?”

“In a park, near the Revaria marketplace.”

“How did you do that? How did I step from my apartment to here?”

“I created a magical portal between the mortal plane and the immortal one.”

“Immortal plane…”

“It’s what we call the worlds based upon the variations in lifespans. While not technically immortal, those that live here can live many Earthly generations. I’m one hundred and twelve Earth years old.”

“And how old is the crusty vampire?”

Viktor glared at me. “Are you intentionally trying to be funny? Because you’re not.”

“Sorry. I’m struggling to comprehend everything, and your sparkling personality is a great target for stress relief.”

Viktor shrugged. “I’ve been told I have a wonderful personality.”

Salle put her hand over her mouth to stifle her giggle. Viktor thought I was complimenting him. He reminded me of Spock from Star Trek.

“I think we should head into the market. This will provide you with a bevy of opportunities to help you conclude this isn’t a hoax.”

We started walking when I spotted a dragon-like creature flying overhead.

“We’re not in Kansas anymore.” I whispered to myself.

Viktor gave me a look that conveyed I was well below average intelligence. “We were in Chicago in case you weren’t aware of where you were living.”

“Clearly, Viktor, you don’t get out much. It is a phrase mortals use to say things are different.”

“Stupid mortals and their stupid phrases. Why can’t you simply state what you mean?”

We began walking from the park and into the streets. It all looked surprisingly normal in a Vienna meets Hogwarts sort of way. However, that’s where the similarities ended. We paused in the middle of a large market square. A brothel was to my right, but instead of offering their bodies, men and women of various species were offering their blood to vampires. In front of me, a large wolf was chained by four men and a horse, dragging him kicking and howling through the city. To my left, merchants sold everything from stylish dresses and clothing, to crossbows and spells.

“Can someone help me understand what I’m seeing?”

Salle took my arm and led me forward. “In the mortal realm, everyone is the same species, with similar shapes, sizes, and needs. Here, multiple species coexist. Vampires tend to be slightly taller than the others and after the first years of awakening or being turned, they can be in the sunlight. They do drink blood, but use it for healing, replenishing their magic, and euphoria.”

Viktor raised his chin slightly. “Shifter blood is like licking the bottom of a garbage can. Fae blood is the sweetest of nectars.”

I nodded slowly. “Sounds like you had experiencing licking the bottom of garbage cans. I’ll remember your choice words of wisdom if I ever find the need to drink someone’s blood.”

Salle continued. “The wolf Shifter you saw in chains is likely a new Shifter. Within forty-eight hours of a turning bite, new Shifters will transform into their animal forms for the first time. Some can’t control their animal form and need help shifting back. That wolf was being taken to assist him into transforming back into human form. Look around you, Stan. Witches often have vividly colored hair, each color representing their specialty. Red is the rarest, meaning the witch is particularly gifted in multiple magical disciplines.”

“Tell me about my parents.”

“Your mother was Fae, your father a Shifter. It’s incredibly uncommon for a Fae and Shifter to mate, and even less likely that they would have offspring. Fae and Shifters have a long-standing animosity towards each other. A Fae that would mate with a Shifter could be rejected by the Fae community. In your mother’s case, she was cherished and loved, but chose to walk away from her responsibilities to become a Hunter and to be with your father.”

“What does a Hunter do? Why is it so important?”

“There are always two Hunters that work together. Think of them as the detectives of the supernatural realm. They are unbiased arbiters of the truth, keeping peace between the species. Often, they hunt rogue members of society, those that break the laws or try to wrest power for themselves.”

“I can see my wordsmithing experience will be highly effective as a Hunter.”

“Hunters are gifted with the ability to do their job. They’re fierce and strong.”

“That single one-hour introductory class I took in karate will come in handy. People don’t simply know how to fight or do a job like that.”

“During the awakening, a person will receive ancestral memory from their species. Does a caterpillar know how to fly? Yet, when it becomes a butterfly, it knows inherently how to.”

“A Hunter is a job? How does the economy work here?”

“A Hunter is a position, a role. All species contribute equally to maintain the Hunters. In a way, it’s a job, but not something you could compare to a job in the mortal plane. Your jobs are structured there. Pay in the mortal plane is determined by the time you work, skills and experience you have, or what you produce. A Hunter is paid whether there is a task or not. They’re monitored by the council of elders, but not controlled by anyone. You have no boss telling you what you must do.”

Back at work, my desk was filled with dusty pages and documents needing to be collated, summarized, and digested. I winced at the work I had to return to.

“You mentioned awakening several times. What is that?”

“You are, for all intents and purposes, human. Hidden deep within you are your Fae and Shifter magics. An awakening is exactly what it sounds like. Elders of each species encircle you and unlock your magic.”

“I would be like you? I could make portals and grow flowers?”

“Fae are gifted with elemental magic. We are tied to the world and nature, drawing strength from life. We are healers and can bring peace and calm to those around us.”

I spun slowly taking in everything about a world I never knew existed. It was a world I felt intimately connected to and yet completely foreign.

“What do I do with my things? My job?”

“You could not maintain a job on the mortal plane, but I would encourage you to keep your apartment there for a season. Sometimes Hunters need to travel to the mortal plane and having a base of operations there could come in handy. Although, as a Fae, portal magic makes travel anywhere quick.”

“I just walk away from my job?”

“I’ll take you back home so you can have one more night to decide or make arrangements.”

“I’ve already made my decision. Nothing intrigues me more than being a part of something that was beyond my comprehension two days ago. I don’t fully understand what it means for me, but I feel alive here and all that is left for me in the mortal plane is a slow painful death.”

“That’s overly dramatic.” Viktor stated flatly.

“You obviously don’t know my job.”

***

“Are you ready, Stan?”

Salle and Viktor had come early in the morning and portaled me to a room somewhere in Revaria. Wood floors, walls, and ceiling gave the room a rich, warm feeling.

I took a moment to ponder Salle’s question. Was I ready? The previous evening, I sat in my Chicago apartment, staring blankly at the beige-painted walls. I felt not a single tug of remorse for wanting to leave everything behind. I was twenty-six years old, and immeasurably discontent with my life. I had nothing to tie me to that place or my soul-sucking job. I made a quick call telling my boss I was resigning immediately. I packed a few bags of clothes and necessities, but as I stared at them, I almost felt like it was too much to bring.

“Absolutely. What happens next?”

“Can I thump him now? We don’t need him conscious for the awakening.”

I looked over my shoulder to find Viktor staring out the window. Shaking my head, I focused on Salle. “Is he always like this? Can you put a muzzle on Count Chocula?”

Salle chuckled. “I need you to change into this.” She held out a white shift. “It’s best not to wear anything else.”

“It’s a dress.”

“It’s not a dress, it’s a one-piece shift. Awakenings can alter your physical appearance and having something soft and flexible is beneficial.”

“Excuse me?”

“When your Fae and Shifter magic awaken, your body will become aligned to that magic. We usually awaken our citizens when they’re only days old. When we awaken adults, the changes are more visible. It’s nothing to worry about.”

“Since he has no vampire in him, he will still be ugly.” Viktor stated coolly.

Ignoring Viktor, I hesitated for the first time. “My looks will change?”

“If you were descended from a witch, your hair might change to the color of your strongest magical discipline. Whatever happens, I can guarantee you will be pleased with the results. Supernatural beings are more handsome and beautiful than our mortal plane counterparts.”

I thought through everything again and found I was still resolute in my decision. “How bad could it be?” I took the shift from her hands.

***

The chamber I stepped into was enormous. Cold, inlaid stone floors greeted my bare feet. My ungainly steps slapped and echoed through the room. Five people stood before me while Salle and Viktor waited off to the side.

“Come forward, Stan.” A blonde woman that spoke radiated power and beauty. “My name is Lenora. I’m a Fae elder.” With a hand, she gestured to each person in turn.

“This is Triston, an elder of the Shifters.” The handsome man she pointed to was large and muscular. His eyes alert and deadly.

“Ember, an elder of the witches.” A woman with long straight orange hair tipped her head. She was alluring and I could feel the magical power she held within herself like static electricity in the air.

“Itzam, an elder of the mages.” The white-haired man’s purple eyes glowed briefly.

“And lastly, Thorin, a vampire elder.” If Viktor was intimidating, this man was downright frightening with his raven black hair and gray eyes that seemed to bury themselves into my soul.

“Salle told me that your blood results were green then brown indicating your Fae heritage is slightly more powerful than your Shifter heritage. We will need to awaken both your Fae and Shifter magic. This is often done at birth, but sometimes there are those like you who have been hidden within the realm of mortals and are awakened later in life. As a hybrid, you should have a mix of abilities and powers. During the awakening, you will change. There will be moments when it will be painful, but this is to be expected. Salle has explained that your physical appearance might be altered. Is this acceptable to you?”

“It is.”

“And you are committed to the process by which we will bestow your new role?”

I wasn’t aware of any particular process, but it didn’t matter. “Yes.”

“Your words are magically binding, committing you to whatever outcomes and next steps.”

I opened my mouth to say something but felt within myself that what spoken was already done and locked into place.

“Triston, take his right hand.”

Triston grabbed my right hand with his and reached behind him to clasp the hand of one of the other elders. One by one, the chain grew until Lenora’s reached out to my left hand. Like completing an electrical circuit, the magic of those connected to me burst forth. Heat flooded me and I was enveloped in white light. Pain radiated through my arms and chest. I tried to pull away but was held fast.

I screamed as my entire body ripped itself apart, not once, but multiple times. The light from the magic and my body was so bright, I couldn’t see a thing. I felt every fiber of my being exploding then imploding repeatedly. My screams continued, switching between higher pitched squeals to animalistic growls and roars.

Lenora and the elders chanted words as their magic flooded me. As quickly as it began, it ended. I collapsed to the ground in a heap of warm, white light. As the glow slowly dissipated, I could hear the tiniest of sounds and smell the individual scents of those in the room. I breathed slowly as I opened my eyes. Fine golden filaments dangled in front of me.

“Arise, Alya Dayvale.”

“Alya?” My voice wasn’t my own. Neither was the hand that I pushed up with and parted the golden hair that was in front of my eyes. I looked down at my shift, which now appeared much larger on me. Breasts pressed outward, letting me see the tops of them under the gap of the shift.

I focused on my breathing and closed my eyes assuring myself this was nothing but a dream, but when I opened them, I saw the same floor, same hair, same hands, and same breasts. I felt incredible. Powerful. Strong. Agile. Yet unmistakably female.

I stood slowly to my feet.

“Welcome, Alya.”

“I’m a woman?”

Lenora looked me over with little emotion in her eyes. “Your mother was a Fae princess, daughter to the most powerful Fae in the land. While your father was an alpha Shifter, your mother’s power was stronger refining your supernatural body into the primary nature of a Fae female. However, I can see by your looks, you’re a blend of Shifter and Fae. Your hybrid nature is extremely rare and once your mate is found and you both go through the Hunter anointing, you will be daunting.”

“But… I’m a woman.”

“This happens sometimes. You agreed to the potential changes by your own words and the magic within you allowed the changes, conforming you to what was needed by it. Salle and Viktor, please take Alya to her home and begin the process to anoint her as our next Hunter.”

The elders left the building leaving me standing next to Salle and Viktor.

Viktor stepped over to me and grabbed some of my hair. “That’s a vast improvement, even if you’re a Fae Shifter.”

Salle tugged my arm gently. “Come, Alya.”

“You didn’t tell me I would be changed into a woman.”

“I told you there was a likelihood you would be changed.”

I took a step, a smooth and graceful step. A step utterly silent as if I weighed nothing at all. A step that cause me to feel every change within me. I paused. “A likelihood? My hair didn’t just change color. I didn’t just get a cleft chin and a smaller nose. My entire body changed. Change me back.”

“That’s not possible, Alya. You are magically bound to the changes as you are to the process of becoming a Hunter. I sympathize with you, Alya. The changes are dramatic, altering you much more than I ever dreamed possible. I suspect this has to do with your ancestry.”

“My ancestry?”

“Your mother was heir to the throne of the Fae kingdom. It’s entirely possible that the magic surrounding the Fae royal line made certain you were your mother’s replacement. You need to see yourself. You can use your elemental magic to form a water mirror.”

“Use my magic… to create a mirror…”

“Imagine what you want to do, then visualize it. Your magic should be released, and you will have an innate ability to perform this type of magic.”

There wasn’t any doubt that I could feel my magic just as I had heightened hearing, smell, and vision.

“The more you visualize, the easier it will be. Focus on subtle details, then, when you have the image firmly in your mind, let your magic flow.”

I imagined the mirror, saw it before me in my mind, then tapped into my magic. Before my eyes, a mirror appeared, then promptly fell to the floor and shattered.

Salle giggled. “Nicely done. Rebuild the mirror and don’t forget the stand this time. There are still physics at play here.”

The shattered pieces melded back together, and a wooden stand formed just as I imagined it this time. I gulped and swallowed. I had created something from nothing but that wasn’t why I was struggling for air for reflecting back at me was a woman of otherworldly beauty. My fingers moved to my long golden tresses. My hair was silky soft, full, and as I brought it to my nose, smelled soothing and wild, like a glade of wildflowers next to a waterfall’s mist.

My eyes were large, like Salle’s, but where hers were deep blue, mine were green like new leaves in spring. Pure jade with slivers of gold that radiated power and inquisitiveness. They were captivating and a stunning contrast to my full, moist, coral-colored lips. These were lips that drew my eyes, wondering what it would be like to kiss them.

My skin was flawless with a warm, olive tone. It’s youthful appearance barely hid the defined muscles that laid just underneath. My breasts pressed the white shift outward. They weren’t huge, but not small either, seemingly a perfect match to my slender body. I pulled the shift around my thin waist emphasizing the curve of my hips and exposing more of my long, athletic legs.

“I gather you’re not entirely displeased, Alya? You’re beautiful.”

With a wave of my hand the mirror disappeared. “I’m not sure what to say. The transformation has left me exhilarated, energized, and yet bewildered. I’m confused. What do you mean I’m an heir to the throne of the Fae kingdom?”

“Not an heir, the heir. With your awakening and your mother’s passing, you have become the only living descendant of the Fae king. That makes you a princess and heir to the Fae throne.”

“Could there be anything else you both failed to tell me?”

Salle tipped her head to the side contemplatively.

Viktor had no druthers about sharing startling revelations. “We will need to discover your primary animal form, test your fighting abilities, speed, strength, and stamina. We will start the mating process, then once when you’re mated, go through the Hunter anointing ceremony.”

I was trying hard not to freak out. Something about the magical bindings were nudging me to stay relatively calm with the physical changes and the process. “Wait… Mating process? What mating process?”

Viktor shrugged. “What’s confusing about that? It’s a simple process.”

Salle found her voice. “Each species will be sending two candidates to be evaluated by you and us.”

“I get to choose from ten men, women, or animals? Would this be like the Bachelor… I mean Bachelorette?”

“No animals.”

Viktor snorted. “That’s debatable since there will be Shifters.”

Salle took my arm in hers as we walked back towards the room where I first arrived. “Each species sends one male and one female candidate. It is considered a great honor to be selected as a Hunter. I’m not sure what the bachelorette is.”

“It’s a television show about a single woman having to choose between eligible bachelors. How long is this process supposed to take?”

“A week or less.”

“A week? I have to choose a mate in a week? How can I possibly know if we’re compatible?”

“You’ll know and we will be assessing them too.”

“I’m not sure I can trust Viktor to choose my mate. He might select someone with the personality of a dead beaver.”

“Like yours?” Viktor offered a hint of a devious smile.

His offhanded comment made me grin. “There may be hope for him yet.”

I tried to ignore the way my body moved and how sensual I felt. The magic was working deeply inside me easing my transition, but not affecting my thoughts. I was likely in shock.

“What will we do about clothes for me?”

“The house will have all the clothes you need, magically adjusted for you.”

We entered the room and I looked at the pair of large suitcases I had brought with me. “I guess I won’t need much of this. It’s disconcerting how little of my life was worth keeping.”

“I’m not surprised in the least.” Viktor’s low voice was laced with smugness.

“I would have you make a portal, Alya, but you need to picture where you want to go. It’s much easier if you’ve been there before.”

She moved her hands and a portal appeared. I picked up the two suitcases noting how much lighter they felt indicating I was far stronger than before. I stepped through the portal, still affected by the twisting and tumbling it caused. This time I didn’t stumble when I stepped into the foyer of a huge home.

My mouth hung open as I absorbed what was before me. Large Arabic-shaped windows cast multiple colors through their stained glass onto highly polished inlaid stone floors. The ceiling was nearly thirty feet above my head and arched with detailed paintings and mosaics. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, perfectly centered over a circular water fountain. To my right, a pair of arched French doors opened into an immaculate garden. Two sets of stairs curved their way up to a second floor.

“Welcome home, Alya.”

“Home.” I breathed out softly and felt a thrum of power connecting to my spirit.

“You’ve gone through a lot. Your magic should be easing the transition for you.”

“It is. Without it, I’m certain I would still be lying on the chamber floor where I was awakened.”

“Let’s go to your bedroom first so you can change your clothes.”

We moved through the foyer and up the distant stairs. A wide carpeted hallway was lined with small statues, windows, and paintings of people. Salle stopped at a painting of a man and a woman.

“These were your parents.”

I felt tears flowing freely even though I was conflicted. Hadn’t they abandoned me? However, I could hardly breathe with loss as I stared at them. My mother was extraordinarily beautiful with long blonde hair and caring blue eyes. Her hands were held by those of a strong, handsome man with darker skin than mine, deep brown hair, and brown eyes that were both intensely powerful and yet loving. They looked into each other’s eyes with deep longing.

“What… what happened to them?”

“Murdered.” Came Viktor’s response from behind me. “We didn’t even know you existed until the magic of the home directed us to a handwritten letter secreted away inside the office. It will explain much to you.”

“Who killed them?”

“We don’t know specifics, but likely members of the Valg. That’s your first task once you are anointed Hunter.”

I hastily wiped my tears as Salle once again latched her arm into mine and pulled me along. At the end of the hallway, double doors opened by magic as if sensing me.

“The entire house is connected to your magic, Alya. It will even warn you if someone of ill-intent steps on the grounds.”

Salle stopped walking and gently nudged me forward on my own. “Your bedroom.”

Sunlight streamed in from a dozen floor to ceiling windows of the enormous octagonally-shaped bedroom. Plants of all varieties lined the walls giving the room a tropical feel. As I moved, the plants burst into bloom all around me. To my left, I could see a bright bathroom joined to a huge walk-in closet. To my right, another room was filled with weapons. I walked towards the furthest windows and a pair of arched double doors. A single step up placed me next to a large bed. I walked past the bed and through the doors onto an expansive balcony that overlooked gardens and forest beyond. I inhaled a deep breath of fresh air that filled me with scents of flowers from the garden and the forest beyond. Salle came up behind me.

“Viktor is heading down to meet with the staff and check on security. We will meet him downstairs in a little while. How are you doing, Alya?”

“I should be screaming, but everything feels… right.” More tears began falling. “I feel like I’m finally home. Like this is where I’m supposed to be, and who I’m supposed to be.”

“The awakening doesn’t make mistakes, Alya. Even your name was chosen by your magic.”

“Why did my parents abandon me?”

“I’m sure you’ll discover more in the letter from them to you. We could only read one section directing us to find you. The rest will only be visible to you. It’s right here. Take your time.”

Salle stepped away offering me some privacy. I walked out onto the balcony overlooking the gardens finding a seat on a marble stone bench. As I looked down at the pages, words that were scrambled and illegible reformed themselves.

‘Our dear and beloved child. If you’re reading this, then we are no longer living in this plane. Our sadness penetrates to the very core of our beings. We failed you. We failed to remove the dangers that kept us apart all these years and would seek to kill us and you.

When we realized we were pregnant with you, at first, we were overjoyed. That a Fae and a Shifter could produce a child together was unheard of. You’re the first of your kind that we know of. Culturally, this was sacrilege as Fae and Shifters were always at odds with each other. You were born out of love and are proof that unity between Fae and Shifters can exist.

It was later in the pregnancy that strange occurrences within the supernatural community began to emerge. The strongest of our world were being murdered and it was up to us as Hunters to stop this from happening. We found evidence of a deep and dangerous conspiracy. As Hunters, the guardians of the supernatural species, we posed a threat and as our child, so did you. For the child of Hunters will become a Hunter and you will become the next threat to those that wish to destroy the supernatural world as we know it.

We made a choice. An extremely painful choice out of fear. If we as Hunters were in danger, then you would be also. Even more so. We hid the pregnancy from others and when it came time to give birth to you, we hid you in the mortal plane. We hoped we would overcome the dangers and return you to us quickly, but it has been years. Since you’re reading this letter, we lost that battle and we lost any chance of being a family together.

You are not alone. There will be people we trust that have found you, awakened you, and will guide you to your esteemed place in our society. Where we failed, you will succeed because you carry the legacy of both of us inside you. You will be as strong as the both of us combined and when paired with your mate, nothing will be able to stop you from removing the threat.

We love you. We love you. We love you. Avenge us.’

I sat for several minutes reading and rereading the letter. Knowing the reason I was hidden didn’t make it right, but it helped.

“Are you all right, Alya?”

I wiped my tears and stood with a silent nod.

Salle studied me for a moment. “Shall we look at your clothes? I’ll bet you’re anxious to get out of that shift.”

Salle took my hand and we moved to the closet. There were dresses and fighting clothes, even clothes for the mortal plane. “Let your magic speak to you as you run your fingers along the clothes. Let your emotions and feelings help choose what you will wear. I’ll step back into the bedroom waiting for you when you’re ready.” She turned and closed the doors that led back into the bedroom.

How was I feeling? I faced a mirror and felt my breath hitch at the beautiful woman before me. I was contrite, somewhat lonely, and isolated, and yet feeling incredibly vibrant and alive. I spun and let my fingers glide along the clothes until I felt a tug on my magic. I pulled the item out and held it up. It was a white, floor length dress with red and purple flower patterns along the bottom. A drawer opened and a pair of white shoes and lacey panties presented themselves.

I tucked my long hair behind my ear and bit my lower lip, realizing these were very feminine gestures. What would wearing these clothes say about me? No one except for Viktor and Salle knew me for who I had been. If my magic and feelings chose these clothes, then would it be wrong to wear them?

I grinned as I held the dress up against me and turned to the mirror. My magic eased my transition even more, allowing my new identity to slowly rise to the surface. I smiled and it was as if my uncertainty drifted away from me like seeds from a dandelion flower in the wind.

I pulled the shift off and took a moment to gaze at my flawless body in the mirror. I twisted and stared, letting my grin grow into a full smile once again. I dressed quickly and checked myself out in the mirror one last time. My long golden hair was slightly curled as it fell to the small of my back. The white of the dress perfectly matched my emotions. I spun once more, then cautiously pushed the doors open to the bedroom.

Salle turned and faced me, her smile growing and her eyes lighting up. “That looks wonderful on you. Good choice.”

“To hell with my screaming brain.”

“That’s the spirit. Let’s go find Viktor.”

We exited the bedroom, passed through the hallway, headed back downstairs, and entered a large room that could have been a small ballroom. Once through there, we came upon a dining room that would easily seat forty people, then stepped outside onto an expansive veranda that overlooked the gardens, fountains, and forest beyond.

Dozens of people awaited us. Viktor faced us as we approached. He raised an eyebrow at me. Everyone bowed causing me to stop in my tracks. I turned around looking for someone that was important, but Salle took my arm and faced me towards the people again. She walked me in front of them.

The Fae staff tipped their heads. “Princess.” They muttered softly.

I felt individual waves of magic coming my way from the Shifters. They held themselves stiffly and growled low. My magic responded and pushed them hard enough that they dropped their heads submissively. Only the vampires were less deferential to me.

“Interesting.” Viktor said as he looked over his shoulder at me.

Salle got everyone’s attention. “I would like to introduce you to Alya Dayvale, princess and heir of the Fae kingdom. She will be our next Hunter and is thereby mistress of this house.”

A vampire stepped forward and bowed. “I’m Garret, Princess Alya, head of the home security.”

“Please, call me Alya.”

“As you wish, Alya.”

A large, muscled man stepped up next. “I’m Dominic, head fighting skills trainer.”

“Please to meet you, Dominic.”

A Fae woman curtseyed to me. “I’m Abigail. My job is to manage the household staff.”

“No need to bow or curtsey to me, Abigail. It’s nice to meet you.”

Salle tilted her head towards me with a broad smile. “Everyone, in two days we will need to begin receiving our guests for the mating process.”

Garret spoke up. “I will need the names of those arriving to vet them and their entourages properly.”

“Certainly.” Salle responded. “Abigail, perhaps we could arrange for a meal in the sunroom in a few hours?”

“Of course.”

***

After a lengthy tour of the home and property, Salle and Viktor sat down with me for an early dinner meal.

“Viktor, earlier today when we were meeting the staff, you said the word ‘interesting’. Care to elaborate on that?”

“All Shifters fit into a hierarchy. A wolf Shifter pack will always have an alpha, beta, and so forth. Shifter magic and their animal form strength dictates position in the hierarchy. All the Shifters reacted as if you were more powerful than them, which, technically shouldn’t be possible because you’re a hybrid. Dominic, the trainer, is a low-level alpha. He’s basically the leader of all the Shifters that work as staff at the home.”

Salle added additional insight. “As a hybrid, you would be expected to have half Fae power and half Shifter power, but since your father was an alpha and you are part of the royal family, it appears you could be stronger than expected. Perhaps we don’t know enough about your specific hybrid nature since it occurs so rarely. When the Hunter anointing is performed, you will roughly double your magic, strength, speed, and agility. It’s bequeathed to Hunters so that they can perform their duty. If, for example, an alpha Shifter went rogue, having a Hunter with less strength would be problematic and you will need to interact with kings, queens, alphas, and elders, many of which would not give you the time of day if you weren’t powerful enough.”

“What happens next?”

“I spoke with Viktor and he reluctantly agreed you probably need time to yourself. After our meal, you’re free to do as you like. I would encourage you to stay on the property and not venture into the city alone. The next days will be very busy. Tomorrow morning, you will spend the time with Dominic. He will help guide you with your Shifter magic, and, hopefully, you will discover your primary animal form. There is a possibility you could have multiple. In the afternoon, I will work with you on your Fae abilities. In the evening, you will train with Viktor and Dominic in fighting styles.

“Starting the following day, we will reduce your training as you’ll be attending mating functions, galas, and having individual time with each candidate. After witnessing a touch of your power and seeing how beautiful you are, I suspect this matching process might prove quite entertaining.”

“Entertaining?”

“Not only is being chosen the next Hunter an incredible honor and comes with great prestige for the respective species, having such a pretty mate will no doubt create some healthy competition.”

“I do get a say, right?”

“The choice isn’t just yours, but synergy between the pair is essential. If you don’t feel anything, then that person isn’t a wise choice for you.”

“And there will be ten?”

“Yes. The elders that were at your awakening have gone back to their councils and confirmed their two choices based upon what they felt and saw of you.”

“Not only do I have to wrap my head around everything that has happened to me, but I need to choose a mate. Are you sure we can’t post my profile on eSupernaturalHarmony.com?”

“Are you struggling, Alya?”

“Well, no. Yes. I feel good. Great even. But that’s wrong. I should be angry and upset that I’m no longer male. The fact that I’m not struggling more is making me question my sanity. Then, to top it all off, I have people calling me princess. I can’t be the heir to the throne of the Fae kingdom when I know nothing about the kingdom and how it operates.”

“The king might not want a hybrid on the throne anyways.” Viktor blurted out.

“Finally, I have something I can agree with Viktor on.”

“I wouldn’t be so certain, Alya. The king was devastated by your mother’s loss. He only just found out you existed. He’s very interested in meeting you.”

“I’m sure he will be thrilled to hear my skills are technical writing, making macaroni and cheese from a box, and that I was his grandson up until today.”

“The elders are sworn to secrecy regarding your gender transformation as are we. We do this to protect you and your new life after your awakening. You have the chance to become whomever you wish, starting life over, picking different choices.”

“I think that all started with me agreeing to come here.”

“Do you think you can find your way around?”

“Yes.”

“Then, unless you have more questions, we will leave you so you can have time for yourself. There won’t be much of that in the days ahead.”

“Oh, I have questions, but they can wait for another time.”

***

I wandered the house and gardens for several hours. I kept trying to think through my situation, but there was nothing that could be resolved by mere thinking. I found myself content and happy when I wasn’t considering my future or all that had happened to me. It was enough that every second and every movement reminded me I was different. My new body was so graceful and sensual, I spent much time pondering how good I felt.

Once back in my room, I used the bathroom for the first time and stared often at my reflection. Nothing was shaking my underlying giddiness. I wasn’t bad looking before, but now, I was happy to see myself in the mirror.

When evening came, I moved through my closet, stopping when my magic tugged on me. I pulled a silky, sexy nightgown from the rack and was pleased for the freedom it offered. When I finally slipped into bed, I let my hands roam freely to explore my body. I was grateful I fell asleep quickly.

***

I was standing in a dead garden. The earth was dried and cracked. All around me blackened flowers stood frozen in time on stiff, brittle branches. I found this confusing as everywhere I had been in the immortal plane was lush and beautiful, but still, I was thankful for a respite from the prying eyes of other people. I moved slowly from plant to plant letting my fingers graze the fragile tops of them. Whatever my fingers touched, the buds returned into full color and life. I glanced up to see a wondrous tree. It had both white and black bark, wrapping around each other to form the trunk before splitting off into two directions. Half of the tree had black branches, the other half had white branches. This tree, like the garden, was nearly dead. There were only dried and shriveled fruits on the tree. One fruit still looked somewhat healthy. It was pink and it made my heart yearn for it. I reached up and picked it.

“Why are you invading my dream and stealing fruit from my garden?”

I spun, heat filling my body. I hadn’t realized this was someone else’s garden. Twenty paces from me a striking young woman stood casually, but I could tell she was ready for a fight. Her long burgundy hair cascaded like a waterfall in front of one shoulder and down her back. She wore body-hugging black leather with a silver sword on her right hip, and a silver dagger on her left. Her eyes were a dim blue that spoke of pain and loss, but I couldn’t tear my gaze from them.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t know… I thought… Dream? You said I was invading your dream?”

Her eyes travelled up and down my body in such a way as to bring a blush to my face. A smile ticked up at the corner of her mouth.

“This is a dream, but I can already tell it isn’t going to be a nightmare. This is the place I often come in my dreams and I have never seen anyone else here before.”

“I beg your forgiveness. I didn’t mean to intrude. I would never…”

She took a step forward and paused. “You have a gentle spirit in a world that isn’t always that gentle and yet I can feel your strength and power. I see no mate band on your wrist. Why is it a woman of such power and beauty is not mated?”

“I’m to be mated, I just don’t know who that will be with. It’s all part of the process apparently.”

“What process? An arranged marriage? You’re a noble?”

“Someone told me I’m royalty, but I hardly qualify. It’s the process to find my mate prior to the Hunter anointing.”

“You’re the new Hunter?”

“Daughter of the previous Hunters.”

“They never had a child.”

“I was hidden at birth in the mortal plane.”

Her eyes widened. “That’s why I’ve never seen you here before. You’re in Revaria now?”

I spun around. “Yes. Maybe. I’m not sure where this place is, but I went to sleep in Revaria. I’m very sorry for taking your fruit.” I felt a tug on my magic as I looked down on the fruit. I held it out with both hands towards the woman. “Please. Take it.”

The woman stepped close to me. “Do you know what that is?”

“It looks sort of like an apple.”

“And you wish to give it to me?”

“I feel… compelled to.”

“You’re not afraid of me? You don’t think I’m an abomination?”

“No! Why would I?”

She softened her stance and a little brightness sparkled to life in her eyes. She held out her hand and I carefully dropped the fruit into it.

“May I touch you to see if you are real?”

“Of course.”

Her hand reached out towards my face and the moment her fingers grazed my cheek, heat exploded within me and the dream world vanished.

***

I bolted upright in bed and touched my cheek. I still felt the lingering warmth of the woman’s touch and the rapid beat of my heart. I took several deep breaths to calm myself. It was just a dream, but it had felt so real.

Morning sunlight streamed through the windows. I got out of bed and padded over to the bathroom. I was so glad to see my reflection. I was still Alya. There was a shower that I took full advantage of, then after toweling myself off, I moved into the closet. I wanted to wear something pretty, but my magic nudged me towards another outfit. When I pulled it out, I remembered I was going to be training and the outfit was similar in design to the woman’s from my dream.

After putting it all on and tugging on the knee-high boots, I glanced at myself once again in the mirror. Where the dress had made me look sweet, The current outfit exaggerated my thin waist and lean body. I stepped out into the hallway just as Salle was about to knock.

“Look at you, ready for the day. Did you sleep well?”

“Very. My dreams are so vivid here.”

“Most likely that’s because of your connection to your magic now. I was awakened as a baby, so I only have my personal experience to go by and wouldn’t be able to say definitively if your experience is abnormal. Let’s get you some breakfast before you meet up with Dominic.”

***

“Shift!”

I glared at Dominic. We had been doing this all morning. He had explained the process over and over again, and still nothing. It was easy, he said. Close your eyes, picture your animal form, then shift.

I folded my arms over my chest. The feeling of my breasts reminded me how different my body was from a day ago. “Yelling the word louder isn’t going to change anything, Dominic.”

“When you close your eyes, what animal do you see inside of yourself?”

“A cow.”

“A cow is not a Shifter animal.”

“I told you this a dozen times already. When I close my eyes, I see numerous animals. A wolf, a cat, a hawk, a dragon, and by the time I’ve seen so many, my mind wanders to other animals, like a cow.”

“You have powerful Shifter magic. Your father was an alpha wolf. Try to focus on a wolf, then shift into it.”

“We tried that, remember?”

“What could be more useless than a Shifter that can’t shift?” He muttered under his breath.

“I heard that.”

“Well at least we deduced you inherited one Shifter trait. Enhanced hearing. For now, we will adjust the training to learn your other Shifter abilities. What is the fastest species?”

“Cheetahs, on land.”

“What’s a cheetah?”

“It’s a large cat that lives in the mortal plane.”

“I’m talking about supernatural species.”

“Vampires?”

“Wrong. Somewhat. In human form, vampires are a little faster than Shifters in human form, but they’re no match for a Shifter in animal form. Shifters are physically stronger than most vampires, although vampires get stronger as they age. Shifters have better hearing and sense of smell, equally enhanced eyesight as vampires. Vampires have a better sense of taste.”

“What about Fae?”

“Fae have the best endurance and they have the natural ability to be at one with nature. Even as a wolf, I’m hard pressed to hear a Fae when they’re moving through the forest, but I can smell them if they’re near. Let’s see how fast and strong you are in human form.”

Without another word, he ran off into the forest expecting me to follow. I was so tempted to simply stay where I was and say I passed him and returned to the house already, but I was itching to see what my body could do. I took off after him. He was fast and I would get close, spot him, then he would disappear. After miles of this, I wasn’t even breathing hard. Finally, I stopped in the middle of the forest.

“Use your other senses to track and find me.” Dominic’s voice was distant and only whispered softly, but I picked up on his location. I breathed deeply, trying to catch his scent. When I did, I was off again, racing through the forest, following the slightest sounds of his footfalls.

We wound up back at the house. I found Dominic leaning against the stone wall of the veranda.

“Well done. When you’re anointed Hunter, I won’t be able to escape you. I tried to circle back on you, but you were too silent as you ran. If you could only shift, I would be impressed.”

***

After lunch, I had a reprieve from Dominic’s overbearing personality and met with Salle. I was enraptured by her gentle nature and appearance, finding her someone I wanted to emulate. I carefully watched how she walked, stood, and tried to replicate her form.

“How was your time with Dominic?”

“I couldn’t shift. I’m hoping that by learning more about how to use Fae magic I might find a way to shift.”

“I’m not surprised by your inability to shift. I should have been more precise in my question. I was wondering what you thought of him?”

“Of Dominic?”

She nodded.

“I think he and Viktor went to the same finishing school. They appear to have the same manners.”

“You didn’t find him attractive?”

“I honestly didn’t think about it. I guess he is handsome as most supernatural men are.”

“It’s only been a day, so I hardly think you’ve had much time to ponder your preferences.”

“Oh… Oh! That’s what you’re talking about.”

Salle patted my hand. “I didn’t mean to startle you with that question, but it’s imperative you figure that out quickly. Candidates will arrive tomorrow.”

“I’ll start… hmm… I was kind of hoping I would just know.”

“Do you find me attractive?”

“Of course. Who wouldn’t?”

Salle smiled. “But?”

“But I feel you’re more like a sister. I don’t say that to offend you.”

“No offense taken. I feel the same way about you. You’re like my younger and prettier sister I want to protect. It’s a big world out there and you haven’t lived in it. In some ways, not having experienced this place could be a good thing. You lack biases about our species and age-old protocols and processes are something you question. In other ways, your lack of understanding leaves you vulnerable.”

“What if I’m not compatible with any of the candidates?”

“It’s never happened before. Magic is threaded through all life. Our magic nudges us, providing hints as to what is needed. Your magic calls out for what you need. Subtly, our elders sense this when they choose their candidates. If anything, I think you may have a hard time determining which one you’re the most compatible with. On with your lesson. What magic do you want to learn first?”

“How to dry my hair.”

Salle giggled. “How would you normally dry your hair?”

“With a towel. Maybe a hair dryer.”

“And how does a hair dryer dry your hair?”

“With hot air.”

“You’re Fae. You have full control of the elements. Like the mirror, imagine warm air blowing towards you. Each time you use your magic, it gets easier, but the first time you should try to connect with all your senses as you imagine it first, then release your magic. Try it.”

I imagined warm air blowing at my hair. I could feel how my hair would move and the gentler breeze against my skin. I connected my magic to the image and warm air washed over me.

“I did it!”

“Very good. Not very efficient, but very good.”

“What would be more efficient?”

“You could tell the water to leave your body. I’ll let you discover that on your own. Think outside the confines of your own experiences. If you can control any element, what else can you do to accomplish the same thing? Heating and moving air requires more magic than simply commanding a single element like water. Come inside with me.”

We walked back into the house and then downstairs to a room I hadn’t visited on the tour the day before. A heavy door closed behind us leaving us in a large, spacious, and empty room that resembled a cement-walled basement with no windows.

“This room is designed for training. You can ask it provide simulations. Watch… Simulate a single attacker.”

A man appeared at the far end of the room. He started running towards us with a sword in his hand.

“Pause.”

The man froze in place.

“How would you use your elemental magic to protect yourself, slow the attacker down, or even attack? Start giving me ideas for protection.”

“A strong wind to push him back.”

“Excellent. When someone is closer to you, that is more effective, especially if you imagine the wind being concentrated. As you train, you’ll learn to sharpen your magic to be more precise. Eventually, you might be able to push back twenty attackers at once. What else. I want you to imagine three protections for each element. Start with air. You gave me one.”

“Smoke or fog to hide myself?”

“Excellent.”

“Could I form a dense portion of air that would be like a barrier?”

“Hmm… That might work. Now water.”

“Ice under his feet. A blast of water. An ice shield?”

“All great choices. Each one might work better depending how close the attacker is. Another thought is that bodies are made up mostly of water, but supernaturals tend to have some resistance to magical attacks, some more resistant than others. What about earth?”

“Throw a rock. Open the ground underneath. Create a rock wall?”

“All would work. However, you’re missing other earth options, like vines, or better yet, vines with thorns. How about fire?”

“Fireball. Fire wall. Heating the attacker’s sword?”

“Oh, I like the last one. It demonstrates focus. Something to remember is that you have a reservoir of magic within you. When you reach the limit of that reservoir, you then need to draw magic from the world around you. That will tire you out faster than physically fighting. Once your magic is depleted, you will need rest to regenerate it. Focused protections and attacks will use less magic than a blast of air that covers a much larger area, but the caveat is focused magic needs precision and that means you need to know what your enemy is going to do next. Ready?”

“For what?”

Salle chortled. “Continue.”

The attacker yelled and ran for me. Suddenly all my great ideas evaporated, and I ran around the room screaming while trying to avoid the slashing sword.

“End simulation. Not as easy as it sounds, is it?”

“No. What would happen if he hit me?”

“You would feel it, but it wouldn’t damage you. Let’s try this again at quarter speed. Simulate a single attacker at quarter speed.”

A different man appeared with a bow this time. I watched in fascination as if he were in slow motion pulling back his bow and aiming an arrow at me.

“Quickly now, Alya. Think of something.”

I fumbled with my thoughts, finally imagining a water shield forming in front of me. I released my magic as the attacker released his arrow. The shield formed in the air before me, fell just like the mirror had done, and broke into pieces on the ground just as the arrow stabbed my heart.

“Ouch!”

“Stop simulation. Let’s try again.”

***

After three hours of simulations, I was doing better with up to half-speed simulations. We used each of the elements repeatedly until I could see whether an idea worked or not. I was mentally exhausted by dinner and I still had three hours of fighting skills exercises to go.

Viktor seemed particularly pleased as he outlined the training. “All supernaturals have an inherent ability to fight from the moment of their awakening. Think of this as a degree of ancestral memory. Each species have their own styles and techniques that will feel normal for them. With you being a hybrid, we will see what you’re capable of. We will start with hand to hand combat. Did Salle teach you healing yet?”

“No.”

“Too bad.”

Viktor rushed me at full speed. What had seemed like a blur before my awakening, now felt much more real time, but he was still fast. I rolled out of the way, feeling quite pleased with myself as he barreled on by. It only took a second for him to stop, spin, and leap to my side. He thrust his hand forward and grasped my neck like he had done before.

Instinct took over as I grabbed his wrist and twisted hard. Viktor was stronger than me, but I managed to break free and land a hit with my elbow. I backed up creating space, but Viktor pressed forward not giving me a chance to regroup. I blocked his kick, but his fist hit me in the stomach. I dropped heavily to the ground as he reached for me. I thrust out my hand and pushed him away with a burst of air.

“No magic.” He hissed. “You can’t rely on it all the time.”

Dominic stepped in between us. “Let’s try something a little different. Get up, Alya.”

I scrambled to my feet as Dominic stood over me.

“We’ll start slow. I will attack three moves while you defend, then you will attack me three times. Each time through, we will speed up.”

I nodded, still not entirely certain I was capable. He threw a punch, which I easily blocked. He then kicked and tried a grab in slow succession both of which I avoided.

“Now attack.”

I swung my fist, side kicked, then tried another punch.

“Good. Faster this time.”

We continued like this for thirty minutes until we were moving at near full speed. The repetition and speed helped me build confidence.

“Good, Alya. You need not be afraid. You’re faster and stronger than you think.”

“Try me again.”

I looked up at Viktor and inwardly cringed. He had the edge of speed and strength on me, but I had good endurance and agility. I suspected because he was larger and being an older vampire, his strength was slightly more than mine.

Dominic stepped back and away. “Begin.”

I could immediately tell that Viktor’s style was different than mine, however, my hybrid nature provided me a larger arsenal of techniques. He would throw a punch, and I would block, shift my position, and attack in a way he wasn’t used to. We fought back and forth for another thirty minutes, both landing blows, but both blocking most. To think I was now standing up to him when I was nothing but a flea to him before my awakening, boosted my self-esteem.

Dominic called a halt for which I was very grateful. Viktor was breathing hard and that made me smile as I was still barely winded. I thanked my Fae ancestry for my stamina.

For the next two hours we discussed fighting styles of the species and even had a half hour of fighting with blunted daggers.

When I reached my room for the night, I was mentally and physically exhausted. I bathed and used magic to dry myself, grinning the entire time. I stood in front of the mirror naked and spotted several bruises. I placed my hand over one and pictured what was necessary to heal it, then released my magic. I gasped as my own magic penetrated my bruise. The sensation was far different than casting a fireball, however, the magic seemed to work, and my bruise was gone. I repeated the process several more times until all my bruises were gone.

I slipped into my nightgown and was asleep minutes after snuggling under the sheets.

***

I was back in the garden, but this time it was noticeably changed. Many of the plants were showing signs of life. I stared up at the fruit tree. It was healthier now with several multi-colored fruits on every branch.

“You’re back again.”

I spun around, more confident in myself having had a day to learn my abilities. The same beautiful woman stood nearby, and I couldn’t help but smile at her.

“It’s not on purpose. I’m sorry if I’m intruding. I don’t know why this is happening.”

“You’re the Fae heir, a princess.”

“That’s what they tell me, even though I hardly qualify.”

“You should see some of the morons that rule. They inherited or took their positions of power by force and believe they’re the best to rule over others.”

“Are you calling me a moron?”

“No. Not at all. It’s just you’re the first royalty I’ve ever met that isn’t all stuck on themselves waiting for others to serve them.”

Her eyes were brighter, more alive than the last time.

“The garden is looking better.” I remarked.

“That’s because of you.”

“Me? I guess perhaps it might be because of my Fae magic.”

“That’s only part of the reason.”

I took a step towards her. “I’m…”

“No. No names. Not here. Names have power, especially in dreams.”

“I have so much to learn. I feel like all I do is apologize to everyone for my lack of understanding.”

“Do you see what you did to my fruit tree?”

“I’m quite positive that wasn’t me that did that to your tree. It’s such a unique tree. What is it?”

“It was you that brought it back to life. That’s called a witches’ fame and fortune tree. They’re extremely rare. The fruit from the black branches is how a witch earns their fame, or infamy. The various fruits on the black branches, those of different colors can be used for everything from sleeping potions to poisons and death. On the white branches, these are the fortune fruits. Gold fruits are used to divine the future or cast spells for wealth or luck. Green for removing emotional pain.”

“And the pink?”

“The pink fruits have to do with love. Why is it you’re not rejecting me?”

“Excuse me?”

“I’m a hybrid. My own species reject me thinking I’m not one or the other.”

“I’m a hybrid too, but I don’t care what you or anyone else is. You’re…” I looked down. “…very beautiful.”

“You find me beautiful?”

I looked up and met her eyes being unable to keep them away from her for any length of time. “Yes. Very much so. It’s hard for me to simply not stare at you. I mean, I’ve seen beautiful people, but you’re the first I desperately want to touch.”

She took a step towards me. “And you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.”

I pulled my hair behind my ear as I blushed. “I wish this weren’t a dream and you were real. I’m captivated by you. My subconscious must be creating a fantasy and dreaming about something that can’t be, all the while knowing that tomorrow I will meet the chosen candidates, one of whom will be my mate and other Hunter.”

“But I am real.”

I stepped closer and stared into her eyes. She was slightly taller than I was. “Mmm. You smell like hot chocolate with a hint of cinnamon. I wish you were real.”

I reached for her hand and she pulled back.

“Don’t touch me. The dream will end.”

“Sadly, all dreams end.” I whispered.

“I don’t want this dream to end.”

“Neither do I.”

A knock sounded and the dream faded before coming back to startling clarity. I frowned.

The woman stepped closer to me. “We have no time left.” She leaned forward and took hold of my hand. Heat, passion, and love filled me.

Another knock sounded as my eyes fluttered open. I sat upright and stared at my hand that was still tingling.

“Who is it?”

“Salle. May I come in?”

“Sure.”

The doors opened with my agreement and Salle stepped inside.

“Ugh… I was having the nicest dream again. I can’t believe how vivid they are here.”

“I need to get you ready. You have just enough time to get dressed and eat breakfast before the first candidates arrive.”

“At least I won’t have to practice all day.”

“You’re not getting out of training today. You’ll be doing it on your own though. You’ll have a few hours in the training room between lunch and the soiree.”

“Did you just say, soiree?”

“I did. That will be the first time the candidates, the guests, and you will all be together.”

“Day one of the bachelorette begins. There are no cameras for this are there? I don’t have one in my bedroom, right?”

“I honestly don’t know what you’re talking about, Alya. Get up and find something to wear.”

I groaned and moved into the closet. I closed my eyes and ran my hand along the clothes, stopping when my magic tugged on me. When I opened my eyes and pulled the item from the rack, I looked back at Salle. “This looks rather formal.”

“Yes. You’ll be meeting the candidates as well as the elders from your awakening. A formal day gown is required.”

“I’ll trust my magic on this one.”

I closed the doors, freshened up in the bathroom, then put on the clothes. I didn’t look like a Hunter. I didn’t look like a sweet girl. I looked like a noble young woman. I twisted to the side as the floor-length, blue gown accentuated my flat stomach, pert and full breasts, thin waist, and hips. A slit opened along the left side exposing one leg all the way to my mid-thigh. I opened the door to find Salle waiting for me.

“That will make a statement. Come on. Let’s get you something to eat.”

***

It was a hurried breakfast and we had just finished when Abigail entered to let us know the first of the guests had arrived. Salle led me out to the foyer just as one of the staff opened the large front doors.

Lenora, the Fae elder stepped inside first. She offered a warm smile that appeared genuine. The next person that entered was a beautiful young woman, dressed in a stunning white gown studded with pearls. Her blonde hair and blue eyes made her captivating. A handsome man entered behind her. Lenora walked the small group over to us.

“Alya.” She tipped her head towards me. “It appears you are settling in well. It’s good to see you again. I present to you Quinn Iaronna and Llorva Senalise.”

Quinn stepped forward and bowed stiffly. His eyes narrowed as he looked me over from head to toe. “Charmed.” His voice was clipped and sharp.

“Nice to meet you, Quinn.”

He lifted his chin and turned away as Llorva stepped before me. She couldn’t look me in the eyes. She curtseyed.

“Princess Alya. It is a great honor to meet you.”

“I’m very pleased to meet you Llorva. I look forward to getting to know you.”

Llorva kept her eyes down but offered a slight smile.

A member of the house staff appeared. “We have your guest rooms ready. Your attending staff are unloading your things to your rooms as we speak. Take time to refresh yourselves and relax until the soiree this evening.”

I watched them leave and suddenly realized I hadn’t been breathing. I leaned over to Salle. “There is a twenty percent chance one of them will be my mate. This is unnerving.”

Salle grinned mischievously. “Maybe it will help you to know they’re assessing you as much as you are them.”

“Definitely doesn’t help, Salle.”

She giggled just as the door opened again. The vampire elder, Thorin stepped inside. He carefully scanned the room before nodding to those behind him. Three vampire men entered and took up flanking positions before a young man dressed in all his finery walked boldly into the foyer. This man commanded attention with his gray eyes and shoulder-length, wavy black hair.

Salle’s eyebrow raised and she whispered to me. “That’s Rhain Norwell, second prince of the vampires.”

Behind him, a stunning woman took her place slightly behind Rhain. She had long, wavy, black hair and similar gray eyes. Three more men appeared behind her.

Thorin stepped forward and bowed to me. “It is a pleasure to see you again, Princess Alya. May I introduce the Hunter candidates, Rhain Norwell, second heir and prince of the vampires, and his sister, Lorrena Norwell, third heir and princess of the vampires.”

Rhain stepped forward, held his hand out with his palm up. He offered a smile and a glint in his eye as he waited for me. “I believe it’s customary in the mortal plane for a man to kiss the hand of a woman he is greeting.”

I extended my hand to his and he pulled it to his lips. The simple act sent shivers down my back. “Sorry, it’s not as customary as you might think, and this is a first for me. I’m pleased to meet you, Prince Rhain.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Princess Alya. I’m looking forward to learning more about you, but I will say that Thorin’s description of your beauty fell far short.”

Heat rushed to my face.

“Ignore my unfairly handsome, but formal brother.” Lorrena pulled me into a warm hug. She turned her face towards me, and I could feel her warm breath below my ear. “You’re an absolute delight for the eyes, and you smell like spring rain. I can only hope you find me interesting enough to spend time with me.”

She pulled back but kept her hands in mine.

“I’m so pleased to meet you, Princess Lorrena.”

She squeezed my hands before being led off with the rest of the group.

“That was more promising.”

“Not everything is as it appears on the surface, Alya, but yes, they both seem to have an interest in you.”

“Will each species send both a male and a female candidate?”

“Yes. This is tradition. I’ve spent enough time in the mortal plane to know what you might be thinking. Same gender mates are far more common here. Every candidate has been vetted and know you’re female.”

“What about children?”

“For women mated to each other, this is easy. Any witch can make that happen. If two men wish to have a child, then they hire a surrogate and use a witch to magically impregnate the surrogate, forming a child from the combined DNA of the two men. Are you thinking about children already?”

“No. But I don’t want to exclude the possibility in the future.”

“What about your preferences? Should we send the men or women home yet?”

“I’m not sure. My mind and my memories of what I was, tells me one thing. My body might tell me another. I don’t want to limit the options. Who knows what will happen?”

“That’s wise, Alya. The process is driven by magic and it should be clear to you whom your mate will be in the same way, we fully expect your chosen mate will have the right character and skills to match you as a Hunter.”

“I guess we have a week to find out.”

“Princess Alya?”

One of the staff approached.

“Yes?”

“Another pair of candidates have just arrived.”

“That’s timely.”

Salle chuckled. “Supernaturals have an innate sense of time and most are using a Fae to create a portal for them to arrive exactly when they are due. Let’s meet them.”

With a nod, the staff person opened the door.

Ember, the witch elder, arrived and offered a bow with a smile. She moved to us and hugged Salle and me.

“Let me get a good look at you, Alya.” She stepped back and her smile grew. “It was hard to see your full beauty when you were wearing the shift. You’re gorgeous and I can sense a gentle kindness in you. I think you will enjoy getting to know the witch candidates.”

“Thank you. I’m looking forward to meeting them.”

She waved to the doorman. “Show them in please.”

A woman with long straight silver hair stepped inside. Her eyes were wide and golden in color as she took in the room. She wore an all-black dress that shimmered in the sunlight. Her eyes locked on mine and a carefree grin spread across her face.

Ember introduced us. “Princess Alya, this is Arwen Mallor.”

Arwen licked her glossy lips. “I’ve been dreaming about you, Princess Alya.”

My dreams came back to me with a flush of warmth, but this was not the beautiful woman from my dreams. “I hope they were good dreams.”

“I’ll tell you all about them when we’re alone. Any chance you can slip away before they let the rest of the riffraff in?”

Arwen was clearly a force to be reckoned with a strong personality. Gratefully, Salle intervened.

“You will see Princess Alya tonight at the soiree and we’re planning opportunities for each of you to spend some time alone with her in the days ahead.”

“Well, if you get tired of the process, come find me in my room. I’ll find ways to entertain you.”

Ember took Arwen’s arm and pulled her to the side with a ‘sorry about that’ glance at me. “Our second candidate is Athan Addington, nephew of the witch queen.”

Athan stepped inside and didn’t even greet me. Either he was shy, maybe because of his royal blue hair, or he had no interest in the job of Hunter or me. I extended my hand and he hesitantly took it. He was quite thin, not the usual for supernaturals that seem to all have exceptionally good looks and fitness.

“Pleased to meet you, Athan.”

“Sure…” He looked away.

Ember nodded to me before leading the two off to their rooms. Arwen looked back at me and blew me a kiss. When they were out of sight, I coughed.

“That was…”

“Witches tend to lead with their emotions, Alya.”

“I have no idea what Arwen was thinking.”

“You’re being sarcastic. I can hear it in your voice.”

“I would never.”

Salle nudged me with her elbow. “Four more to go.”

“The bachelorette, supernatural season, episode one is beginning swimmingly.”

The next to arrive was Itzam and the mage candidates. Itzam greeted us with a flourish and a bow.

“May I say, Princess Alya, you look positively radiant. I’m pleased to introduce you to Devin Grimsbane and Chandra Darkmore, our esteemed candidates.”

In a world of handsome men and beautiful women, Devin stood out like a male model would in the mortal plane. He had light purple eyes, and hair that appeared black at times, brown at others. I extended my hand to him. He took it and wrapped his other around mine.

“You are as breathtaking as a sunset over the Calverra Sea.”

I swallowed. “Welcome. I’m so glad you’re here.”

Devin stepped back as Chandra came forward and looked me over with a cool stare. “You don’t look like a Hunter to me. They never told me you’re a hybrid. Where’s the food?”

“I believe there will be some in your rooms. It’s nice to…”

Chandra turned away. Devin nodded to me and slipped away with their group to find their rooms.

“Not everyone will appreciate your hybrid nature.” Salle mused.

“I thought they were vetted?”

“For their sexual preferences, not alignment towards species. Many candidates were chosen prior to you being found. I suspect the mages could not find an alternative female candidate in time.”

I pulled in a long breath hoping the next candidates were better than Chandra.

“Our final guests have arrived, Princess Alya.”

With a nod from me, he opened the door. Triston, the elder for the Shifters entered with his two candidates in tow. Immediately I felt the push of their magic seeking to confirm their dominance with me. My magic pushed back strongly and all three of them gasped and tipped their heads deferentially.

Triston stepped forward and offered his hand. I took it, worried whatever my magic had just done didn’t make them fear or hate me.

“During your awakening, Princess Alya, your Shifter power was subdued. Meeting you today, I can say I have only felt one person that may be stronger. That is the high-alpha. Even my own alpha pales in comparison to your strength. May I ask what your primary form is?”

“It’s good to see you, Triston. Unfortunately, I have failed to shift yet.”

“Even with all your power?”

“It has eluded me.”

“If I may be so bold, I would be happy as a Shifter elder to assist you if we can find the time.”

“I will make certain we find the time as I would be honored to have your help.”

“May I introduce you to Yasmin Killoran, daughter of the Killoran pack alpha and Seth Chalice, alpha in training of the Caldwell pack.”

Yasmin stared straight into my eyes before looking down and away. She took my hands and leaned forward. I could hear her inhale deeply. “Give me the word, Princess Alya, and I will bequeath my life to you.”

My heart pounded in my chest as I lifted her chin with my fingers so I could see into her fathomless eyes that reminded me of chestnut wood. “You leave me speechless, Yasmin. I’m glad you’re here.”

Yasmin tipped her head and backed away letting Seth approach. He was impressively muscled and fit, a good head taller than me. He took my hand and dropped to one knee. “You honor me with your presence.” His alpha power was strong and radiated outward from him.

“The honor is mine. Please. We have rooms for you, and refreshments. Make yourselves at home. I look forward to seeing you tonight at the soiree.”

All three tipped their heads and walked away.

“Phew… That was something else.”

I turned with Salle as we headed towards my room.

“Did any in particular stand out, Alya?”

“Rhain, Devin, and Seth for the men. Lorrena and Yasmin for the women. Arwen, if I wanted a quick romp with no strings attached. That’s not what I want, by the way.”

“I will encourage you to be open to all of them. Don’t dismiss any yet.”

Together Salle and I made our way back to my bedroom. The doors opened to my room as we approached, and Salle and I moved to the balcony and sat down on a stone bench that overlooked the gardens.

“Viktor and I will meet with the candidates throughout the day to get a better feel of how their initial impressions were towards you. You have the day to yourself until tonight. I suggest you take the opportunity to train your magic and fighting skills. You can also use the training room to help you learn other things, like dancing, in case you need help.”

“Dancing?”

“There is a dance two nights from now.”

“If they hate me now, they will really hate me when I step on their toes.”

“Starting tomorrow, the candidates will offer suggestions for some one on one time with you. We will review those in the morning and select some for the day. In two days, we will be holding a ceremony for your parents.”

My heart sank and I choked on my next words. “I… I’m not sure…”

“You’ll be fine, Alya. This is important for the community to have closure and for the candidates to see what your parents meant to you.”

I nodded as Salle grabbed my hands. Silently, she stood and left my room. I got up and leaned over the balcony railing. My eyes alighted on a fruit tree and my mind immediately went to the burgundy-haired woman from my dreams. Why were you not one of the candidates?

I turned and headed into the closet. I stared at myself in the mirror for a long time. I felt vulnerable and unsure of myself. Many of the people thought of me as a princess and a Hunter making me doubt myself. Some of the candidates outright dismissed me with a sting in their mannerisms that left me hurting. I took in my delicate features as my emotions threatened to overwhelm me. I hugged myself as the first tear fell.

“No!” I spoke to myself. I reminded myself of what my life had been like before. I was nothing. I had no impact on anyone’s life. I was in a dead-end job that was simply life sucking. Here I was beautiful, desired by some. Powerful. I had magic, strength, agility, and speed. I had a home and a job that meant something.

“I love the new me. I love my new life even though I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m going to learn, train, and be the best damn Hunter the supernaturals have ever seen.”

I spun away from the mirror as a drawer opened. My black training clothes were there waiting for me.

***

I spent the entire day in the training room, only breaking for the occasional food that Abigail brought me. With renewed vigor, I challenged myself. Gone was my skittishness. My magical defenses and offensive maneuvers improved rapidly so that I could take on multiple attackers at full speed. I performed hand to hand, dagger, and began fighting with sword, seeing the same progression. The skills from my Fae and Shifter heritage finally felt more comfortable to me.

During my breaks, I danced with magical partners. I was thrilled my Fae and Shifter agility kept me light on my feet and I was grateful I wouldn’t need to lead and memorize steps.

I had just activated another simulation with daggers against two full speed attackers when Salle entered the training room. I wove through the two opponents, spinning, thrusting, and blocking until they were both down.

“Impressive! You are indeed the daughter of two Hunters. What is that I see in your eyes? Is that passion?”

“I think I found my resolve. Back on the mortal plane when I received a new task at work, I would often struggle at the beginning until I set my focus and found my determination. Then everything would fall into a rhythm. I have no desire to go back. No regrets. I realize I was holding myself back.”

“I knew you would find your inner strength. You’re very much like you parents. They were the most passionate, fierce, and yet loving people I have ever met. I’m starting to see that in you, and I couldn’t be more proud.”

I curtseyed to her. “Thank you.”

“Oh. Don’t thank me. I’m here to tell you the soiree starts in less than an hour. You’ve been here all day.”

“I have?”

“Go on and get ready. We’ll be meeting on the outdoor veranda as it’s large enough for everyone.”

I gave Salle a hug. “See you soon.”

***

My magic prompted me to choose a sleek pink dress for the soiree. It was elegant, conservative, yet daring in its style and how it hugged my curves. I felt confident as I moved through the house. Casmin, the staff member who had greeted the candidates at the front door, nodded to me as I approached.

“Princess, Alya. When you’re ready, I will announce you.”

“I’m ready. Thank you.”

He opened the door and raised his voice. “Princess Alya has arrived.”

The pomp and ceremony would take some getting used to. I nodded at Casmin and offered a whispered thank you, then stepped outside. The veranda had been transformed with magical floating lights, tables of food, and servers with drinks.

Rhain was the first to arrive at my side with an extra drink in his hands.

I gratefully took the glass as it gave my hands something to do. “Thank you, Rhain.”

“My pleasure, Princess Alya.”

“Oh! I’m so sorry. Prince Rhain. I’m not used to all the titles.”

“I’m happy to dispense with them myself. May I call you Alya?”

“Please.”

“I imagine this must be exciting for you knowing that soon you will be a Hunter.”

“Honestly, I was only awakened two days ago and spent my life in blissful ignorance to all of this. I’m still trying to figure out how to put my shoes on without causing them to burst into flames with some rogue magic.”

“I heard you spent your years in the mortal plane. I studied it the past few days so I could hopefully relate to you better.”

“I appreciate that. And what of you? Do you find this all exciting?”

“To be selected as a candidate is a great and honorable accomplishment. To see you standing here, stealing the prize for the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, excites me greatly. For none of us knew what you might look like except for the hushed whispers of our elders. I would have hated to arrive only to find my potential mate to be one that I would prefer to keep my eyes closed around.”

I laughed “You do have a way with words, Rhain.”

“I have already squandered too much of your time when other candidates are waiting. I hope to speak with you more soon.”

“I look forward to it.”

Rhain kissed my hand and backed away. I took no more than three steps when Chandra stepped in front of me. She hissed.

“You should have stayed lost in the mortal plane. You’re an abomination.”

She thrust her drink at me, but I was faster, casting a breeze to send the liquid back towards her. She wound up covered in it. Her face dripping.

“Why you foul…”

Yasmin grabbed Chandra’s arm and growled. “Princess Alya is the daughter of Mora and Darrow. She is the granddaughter of Cirro Dayvale. It is our chosen way to place her as the next Hunter. You dishonor yourself.”

Others quickly came to my side. Chandra’s gaze hardened.

“No! I would dishonor myself by staying and competing to be mated to this half breed. I’m done.”

Yasmin kept herself between me and Chandra as Chandra left the veranda. Yasmin turned to face me. “Are you all right, Princess Alya?”

“Please. Call me Alya. I’m fine, thank you.”

Her hand reached for my face then paused. “May I?”

I nodded.

She reached for my hair and tucked a few stray hairs back into place. She let her fingers brush my cheek as she withdrew.

“I’m sorry for her actions, Alya.”

“It’s a good thing I didn’t feel any attraction to her then. That would have been much worse.”

“You were so quick with your magical defenses. I can’t keep a smile from my face. That was priceless.”

“As are you for coming to my aide.”

Yasmin blushed. “Anything for you, Alya. Of course, she was just a mage and would really be no competition.”

“Do you see this as a competition?”

“Absolutely. Before you arrived this evening, several fights nearly broke out. I think we’re all itching to test each other and of course, there’s your beauty to possibly win for someone lucky.”

“Who do you think is your biggest challenge?”

She smiled and leaned in close. “You.” She whispered.

I recalled my last job interview. I was put in a room with other candidates and we had to work together on a writing project. It was horrible knowing all but one would be sent away without a job offer. I felt badly for the candidates that had come here, hoping for a chance to catch my eye.

I reached down and took Yasmin’s hand and gently squeezed it. “Please excuse me a moment.” I pulled up my dress a little to step up onto a flower planter.

“Everyone. I know our time is short. Somehow, you all need to get to know me, and I you. You’re all so beautiful, so handsome, I find it hard to breathe imagining…” I smiled and fanned myself before taking a sip from my drink. “Any woman would be lucky to be me right now, to choose one of you to be my mate, my partner, for such an important job. With such a short amount of time, I propose we take this time tonight for you all to get to know me. Let’s find some seats, and I will be happy to answer any questions you have.”

***

For the next hours I answered question after question. They all heard my responses and hopefully my heart. As the soiree wound down, several headed back to their rooms leaving a few to go back to mingling.

Llorva approached me timidly, keeping her eyes downcast.

“Princess Alya?”

“Please, call me Alya, Llorva.”

“But I can’t, Princess Alya. I would never disrespect you.”

“Why do you keep your eyes down?”

“You’re royalty.”

“I would hate to think if we were mated that you would never look at me. You have such gorgeous eyes. It would hurt me to never see them. Please. Look at me, Llorva. You won’t disrespect me in any way.”

Slowly, Llorva lifted her eyes to meet mine.

“May I ask you a question, Prin… Alya?”

“Certainly.”

“You don’t act like royalty. You ask, not tell or order. I wonder to myself, what it would be like to make love to someone that would be so gentle and kind.”

“Has someone hurt you?”

“In the past. Many years ago.”

For the first time, I felt in contact with my Shifter magic. It was close to bursting forth. “Someone here?” I growled.

“No, Alya. I hear the anger in your voice. I’m sorry to have upset you.”

“I’m not angry with you, Llorva. I’m angry that anyone would hurt you.”

She looked into my eyes and I could see her fighting back her tears. “You would protect me?”

“Of course.”

“You have given me much to think on tonight, Alya. You said you were the lucky one earlier tonight. I beg to differ. Whoever is chosen will be the luckiest person alive to have you.”

“That’s sweet, Llorva, but I’m no prize.”

“No, not a prize to be won. I think you’re the hope of this world.”

With that, she rushed off towards her room just as a soft voice sounded behind me. I turned.

“You have a way with people I find refreshing.”

“Princess Lorrena. I hope you’re enjoying yourself.”

“Immensely. You’re not what I expected.”

“A disappointment?”

She chuckled softly. “Far from it. I find myself drawn to you. No one else has ever pulled on my heart like you. I sat back and listened to you answer everyone’s questions. You’re tender, kind, and yet there’s fire inside you. I fear I will get little sleep tonight imagining us together, fighting side by side, loving each other with caring touches one night, full of passion and aggression the next. Have you eliminated anyone yet, aside from Chandra?”

“Not yet, but I have my eye on a few that I have interest in.”

“Am I among those?”

“You are.”

“Then, if I may be so bold.” She closed the space between us and kissed my cheek. “Good night, Princess Alya.”

***

I was a tangled mess of emotions as I made my way back to my room. The process wouldn’t be an easy one. As I approached my bedroom door, Arwen stepped from behind a statue.

“You’re hard to get alone, Princess Alya. Let me help you sleep tonight. Well, on second thought, perhaps not sleep?”

My patience was wearing thin with all the social interaction. I was drained and tired. I smiled. “Thank you for the offer. I won’t sleep, or not sleep, with anyone that isn’t my chosen mate. I guess you’ll have to wait until a final decision is made.”

Arwen grabbed my arms and moved to kiss me. “I can be very persuasive.”

A blast of cold water pressed her away from me. “Sorry, Arwen. I’m still getting use to my magic.”

“Feisty. I like that.” She grinned.

“Good night, Arwen.” I turned away quickly and let my doors automatically close behind me ending the confrontation.

***

Once again, I was back in the garden. It was vibrant and alive. There were still sections that appeared weak, but even those were coming back to life. The flowers bloomed in my presence and leaned in towards me as I took slow steps through the meandering pathways.

“I was hoping to find you here.”

I turned around with a giddiness bubbling up within me. The woman was standing close to me. She held a freshly picked pink rose in her hand. Her eyes were even brighter and a more vivid blue than ever before. I wanted to touch her and stepped as close as I could.

“Careful.” She said. “I don’t want the dream to end.”

“Nor do I.”

“This is for you.” She put the flower into my hand, being extremely cautious to not touch me.

I’m certain my blush was brighter than the rose. “Thank you! I’m Al…”

“No names. Not here.”

“I don’t care. I’m Alya.”

“I can’t believe you just did that. Do you know I could hurt you here with your given name?”

“You won’t.”

“How do you know? I hurt everyone around me.”

“You won’t hurt me, and I will do my best to never hurt you.”

“You’re too trusting.”

“I like to think I’m a good judge of character.”

“Follow me. Sit, please.”

I sat next to the woman, careful not to touch her and I rolled the rose between my fingers.

“You have a lovely name, Alya.”

“It sounds so cherishing coming from your lips.”

“Don’t speak about lips. I’m fighting with everything I have to not touch you. The candidates arrived yesterday?”

“Yes. All ten of them. It was overwhelming. I know how the bachelorette feels now.”

“From the television show on earth?”

I smiled. “You know it?”

“I lived there for a few years. I’ve seen the show.”

“You’re the only one that knows what it’s all about. Every time I mention the show, people look at me strangely. Yesterday was like season one, episode one.”

“The introductions?”

“Ugh… yes. I had to stand there and try to be likable.”

“You just need to be yourself to be likable. Were there any that caught your eye?”

“There were a few that came across warm and inviting. Some were downright rude, like Chandra Darkmore.”

“Chandra, the mage?”

I nodded. “You know her?”

“I’ve had the unfortunate luck to run into her a few times.”

“She called me an abomination and tried to throw her drink on me.”

“That bitch!”

I was startled by the woman’s quick anger. “I sort of protected myself with a gust of wind. The drink splashed all over her face instead of mine.”

The woman laughed heartily. “How I would have loved to see that.”

“She left suggesting she would dishonor herself to mate with a foul half breed.”

The woman shook her head slowly. “No loss.”

“That’s what I thought.”

“How come you always wear such lovely dresses?”

“Does it dissuade you from me?”

“Not in the least. I adore women that like to dress feminine.”

“Perhaps it’s my Fae nature, but I have a fierce side too. Why is it you always wear clothes reminiscent of Selene from Underworld?”

“That’s one of my favorite movie series. It’s not that I dislike dresses or dressing feminine, but they aren’t as practical for fighting, and I tend to get into a lot of fights. Tell me about the other candidates. Did anyone tug at your heart?”

I frowned. “Since I know this is just a dream, I guess I can share with you. There were some that were kind and others that seem overly sexual towards me. But, for all their beauty and handsomeness, why is it the most exciting part of my day is when I fall asleep? Why is it I want to be here with you far more than with any of them?”

A knock sounded and the dream flickered. I cursed.

“Until tomorrow night then?” The woman smiled; her eyes alight. She leaned close and kissed my cheek.

I sat up and held my cheek.

“Alya? It’s time to get up.”

“Come in, Salle.”

Salle entered as I fell back into my bed with a growl.

“What’s the matter, Alya?”

“My dreams are so vivid, and I was having such a nice one.”

She sat on the edge of my bed, then reached over a plucked up a pink rose from my pillow. “How lovely.”

“That’s… That’s impossible. That’s the rose from my dream.”

“I’m sure your magic manifested it. You’re Fae after all.”

“If you say so.”

“Are you ready for another fun-filled day?”

“You mean another day when beautiful supernaturals leave not so subtle innuendos about me having sex with them, or for more disdain and being called an abomination?”

“Supernatural species are highly sensual beings. I’m sure you have already felt that. I’ve seen your reactions to some of the candidates.”

“How embarrassing. Yes, I am physically attracted to some, but I’m not just going to hop into bed with any of them.”

“Of course you wouldn’t. You’re Fae. You mate for life and would never dream of having another partner. That doesn’t mean you aren’t attracted to others. I don’t know how the day will look yet. We’ll meet Viktor for breakfast and discuss the candidates and their ideas for getting to know you better. Get changed and meet us in the private dining room.”

Salle left and once the door was closed, I grabbed the rose and inhaled the intoxicating scent. This was the rose from the woman. How was that possible?

After a quick bath, I wandered through the closet. I was torn between showing my Shifter, more aggressive side, and simply wanting to be beautiful in a nice, flowing dress. The woman in my dream was always prepared. My magic pulled me towards a corner of the large closet. I grinned. The outfit was perfect.

***

As I walked through the upper hallway from my bedroom, I heard a heated discussion going on outside. I peered through the window to find Viktor arguing with Rhain and Lorrena. As I continued to walk, the argument seemed to end, and everyone went their separate ways.

By the time I made it to the dining room, Viktor was already there. His eyes rose as I entered the private dining room. I was dressed like a warrior princess with a dark blue open-faced dress with matching leggings and knee-high boots. On my left hip was a dagger, on my right, a sword that I found in the weapons room of my bedroom. There was a spot in the bodice to perfectly place the rose. The entire outfit made me look beautiful and lethal, even if I was still learning to fight.

While they both stared at me with open mouths, I sat down with a smug smile. “Too much?”

“It’s perfect.” Viktor’s mouth quirked up at the edges. “Do you know how to use those?”

“I did well in my training yesterday.”

As breakfast was served, Salle and Viktor got down to business.

“We had three candidates leave the process last night.” Salle stated.

“Three? That’s somewhat comforting and disconcerting at the same time.”

“Chandra Darkmore, Quinn Iaronna, and Athan Addington.”

“Is that normal, Salle? Am I that horrible?”

“You’re not horrible in any way, Alya. While I wouldn’t say it’s normal, it isn’t altogether bad either.”

“I’m messing things up, aren’t I? Was it because of my altercation with Chandra or that I turned the soiree into twenty questions?”

“You’re not messing things up, rather speeding things along. Better to remove the chaff early so you can focus on the real possibilities.” Viktor muttered quickly.

Salle jumped in. “We knew Chandra wasn’t a likely option to begin with. Quinn, as it turns out, is already mated, and failed to disclose that to any of his selectors. Athan is a bit of an indoor nerd. I think that’s what you would call someone in the mortal plane that rarely sees the light of day and is more impressed with his things than people.”

“That leaves seven then. It does make things easier for me.”

Salle held up a list of names. “Viktor and I spoke to each of the candidates yesterday. Their general impression of you was quite favorable. Many noted your beauty and it was clear a few were very infatuated with you, notably Lorrena, Rhain, Seth, and Yasmin. I’m leaving Arwen out because I think she is…”

“Overly zealous about getting me into bed. She tried to get into my room with me after the soiree, then tried to kiss me. I blasted her with cold water, but that didn’t seem to dissuade her much.”

“I think we can safely move her to the potential removal list.”

Viktor pulled out a few cards. “These are the options for individual dates. Llorva would like to go on a hike through the forest with you. The meek girl surprised me in that I had her card first. Yasmin wants to train with you in hand to hand combat. Not surprising there since she’s a Shifter. Rhain has asked to have dinner with you. Devin, wants a walk through the gardens. Lorrena thought it would be fun to have you both make lunch together. Arwen… Let’s not bother with what she wanted. Seth wishes to go for a swim at the property’s waterfall and lake.”

Salle was writing on a piece of paper. “The way I see it, you could train with Triston, the elder Shifter, right after breakfast. You could then do a morning hike with Llorva, then swim with Seth. Do lunch with Lorrena, then train with Yasmin. After that, you can spend an hour with Viktor and Dominic before taking a walk with Devin. You can then have a slightly later dinner with Rhain.”

“That’s a lot.”

“I do like Viktor’s suggestion of getting the group narrowed down. I’m happy to send Arwen home as I think we all feel she’s not suitable.”

“Agreed. All right, let’s get season one, episode two underway.”

***

I met with Triston in a private walled-in space outside.

“I’m very intrigued by you, Princess Alya. You’re very powerful, yet you can’t shift. It’s imperative you’re able to shift.”

“I thought I was close once yesterday.”

“You felt your animal form rise within you? You felt the pull of your Shifter magic?”

“Yes, even though I still couldn’t picture my primary animal form.”

“Your first shift will always be into your primary animal form. What was happening when you felt it rise?”

“I was angry. Llorva was telling me she was hurt by someone and I wanted justice for her.”

“That’s excellent. Let me explain why shifting is so important. Shifters and vampires are considered non-magic users in that they don’t cast magic. Both species are more physical in their defense and offense. Vampires are immune to much magic, such as spells and poisons. They have a form of shifting where they can become stronger and faster, with talons and, as they age, even wings. Vampires always remain in a humanoid form.

“Shifters are vulnerable to magical attacks in their human form but are mostly immune to magic in their animal form. As a Shifter, you heal faster and your magic regenerates quicker in your animal form, however, when under magical attack, your magic reserves while in animal form are what protect you, dwindling with each attack that hits you.

“As a pure Shifter, if I was attacked physically, I could attack in either form to cause physical damage to my opponent. If I were to fight a magic caster species, it would be safest for me to shift and fight from my animal form, absorbing magical attacks. That’s the beauty of being a Shifter. Shifters are the most balanced, well-protected, and strongest fighters of all supernaturals because of these traits. With you being a hybrid, I can only imagine what you’re capable of. You have a full suite of magical casting abilities, and Shifter abilities.”

“Thank you for helping me understand how important it is.”

“Let’s start by having you recall the emotions you had when you were speaking with Llorva. Picture her being hurt, or another event that you felt helpless to give aid.”

***

Triston and I spent the hour together, but still got nowhere. There were times I felt my animal form rise, but I didn’t have a strong enough trigger to be the catalyst for my first shift. Triston suggested alternative ideas, but dropping me off a cliff, which would only be good if I was a flying animal, cutting off a finger sounded too extreme, and watching someone be raped, all left much to be desired. I was glad our time concluded because I was starting to really wonder about Triston’s state of mind.

My hike with Llorva went well. She opened up, but after an entire hour with her, she was still deferential and submissive. Perhaps she would change over time, but I felt I needed more from my mate and Hunter partner. I didn’t want to always be the one making decisions and deep down, when it came to my ideal mate, I wanted to be the slightly more submissive one as that would make me feel more desirable.

The swim with Seth was revealing, especially since he stripped completely. I was far too shy to do that and modestly kept several items of clothing on before entering the water. Apparently, Shifters, even though they don’t lose their clothing when they shift, are much freer with exposing themselves.

As far as how I felt about everything, I didn’t learn much about Seth other than he had a remarkable body that I would have been horribly envious had I still been a man. He was sculpted to perfection. While my body was attracted to him, it was clear to me that I didn’t feel any emotional pull. I did enjoy his playful side since it seemed everything had been so serious lately. I guessed that was what he was planning all along, to get me to laugh and he did that well.

Having magically dried off and dressed back into my full attire, I headed to the kitchen to meet with Lorrena. Her friendliness continued to grow on me as she pulled me into a warm hug at the start of our time together. I found our date particularly uplifting. I appreciated that a vampire princess would know how to cook and do it so well. She wasn’t afraid to get dirty, and not only did we talk and laugh, but had a significant amount of mischief. Our conversation was as rich and flavorful as the fruit tarts we made together, having an equal amount of sharing and talking. She was the first one I wanted to spend more time with and was silently disappointed that our time ended so quickly.

***

The next stop in my hectic day was the outdoor training area with Yasmin.

“There you are, and my, don’t you look sexy this afternoon, Alya.” Yasmin wasted no time in coming close and taking my hand to lead me over to a grassy section.

“I’m glad you’re still here, Yasmin. We had several departures last night.”

“Clearly, it’s their loss.”

“Is there anything you would like to ask me before we start?”

“I think I will learn much about you from our training together.”

I set my dagger and sword to the side. “Ready when you are.”

Yasmin smiled and dove for my midsection. I was quick and managed to step to the side then turned to face her. I watched her duck, roll, and get right back on her feet.

“You’re fast, Alya.” She said with a grin.

She leapt, closing the distance between us and I found her fighting technique much like Dominic’s. For a while she pushed me back as I blocked her moves repeatedly. It was clear I was faster than she was, and the added nimbleness of my Fae side kept me ready for any of her attacks. I pushed my own attacks, finding my strength was also better than hers.

“That’s it, sweetheart. Don’t be afraid to hit me.”

I did, several times actually. Yasmin shook off the hits, growled, and came at me even harder. I was holding my own well, but her years of training and experience started to show as she maneuvered me into more difficult positions. She feigned a left hook, then in a magnificent display of style and skill, swept my left leg. I was falling but fast enough to grab onto her and pull her down with me. She crashed on top of me and we rolled several times. We stopped with our arms and legs locked around each other, with me being on the bottom.

Yasmin’s mouth was right against my neck. She nipped my earlobe with her teeth. “You taste amazing, Alya.”

It was a rather sensual moment with her thigh between my legs, pressing against me and her lips against my neck.

“This is cozy, Yasmin. Should we get up?”

“I’m not sure I’m ready to let you go yet. I’m quite enjoying this.” She giggled, then kissed my neck before letting us both up. “You’re faster and stronger than I am, but you’re not as well trained.”

“I’ll have you know that I’ve had two days of training.”

“I was expecting you to be afraid and a poor excuse for a Hunter. You’re Fae nature gives you an advantage. If you had twenty years of training like I’ve had, I wouldn’t be able to touch you. Would you like to kiss me?”

“Maybe one day. I want to kiss my mate for the first time during the mating ceremony, whomever that may be.”

“You’re a romantic. That comes from your Fae side. Loyal and monogamous to a fault. Shifters are notorious for having open relationships unless they find their true mate, but those are rare, except for werecats.”

“I would expect full monogamy from my mate. Does that dissuade you from me?”

“If I’m honest, yes. However, it is hard to say no to you. I could fight my nature for the honor of being a Hunter and being mated to you, but it would be a struggle every day.”

I looked down, saddened by the thought this wouldn’t work out. I could never be happy knowing that my mate was flirting or having sex with someone else. Her fingers lifted my chin.

“Why are you sad, Alya?”

“I really like you, Yasmin.”

“Well, the feeling is mutual. However, that’s what this time is all about. If we aren’t compatible as mates, then we call it a day, but don’t think you’ll ever lose my friendship. It will always be there.”

“Thank you for that. I need to be true to myself.”

“I’ll get my things and be gone by tonight, but I will be back for your parents’ ceremony tomorrow and would love an invitation to the Hunter anointing ceremony. I’m anxious to see who will be chosen.”

I hugged Yasmin tightly, sad to see her go.

***

Viktor stood next to Dominic with his arms crossed. “I wanted to let you know that we spoke to Arwen and she has already left.”

“Yasmin has also decided to leave.”

“Why?” Dominic’s response was quick and harsh. “She’s a Shifter like you. She should stay.”

“She didn’t feel she could be monogamous.”

“Why is that a problem? All Shifters have sex with whomever they want. It’s part of who we are.”

“So, you want to just throw me down right here on the grass and have sex?”

“That’s not appropriate because I essentially work for you.”

“Good to know there are some boundaries in the Shifter world. Unfortunately, that’s not who I am. I’m half Fae and personally, I can’t stand the idea that my mate would be trying to have puppies with someone else.”

“You make it sound so vulgar.”

“Maybe it sounds that way because that’s how I feel about it. Clearly, I will need to have a similar conversation with Seth.”

Dominic grunted and pointed at my sword and dagger. “Let’s see if you can handle those since you can’t handle some harmless, frivolous sex.”

After that conversation, I was more than eager. “Bring it on.”

***

The more I trained, the more I felt comfortable. Fighting with a sword took a lot of getting used to and Dominic had a chip on his shoulder after our disagreement. He was therefore surprised when I bested him two out of three fights, and one out of three against Viktor.

After training, I had twenty minutes to spare and Salle found me. She wanted to talk about Yasmin.

“Yasmin told me she was leaving and how you two remain friends. I need to remind you these decisions aren’t solely yours. However, having reviewed Yasmin with Viktor, we both agree her departure was providential. I need to ask you about Llorva.”

“Llorva is a sweet young woman. She seems to be coming out of her shell, but I don’t believe she will ever be anything but shy, withdrawn, and submissive. I can’t picture her in the role of Hunter, and while she would be easy to get along with, I don’t see us as a match. That said, I care for her in other ways.”

“This aligns with Viktor and my assessment. If you will allow me, I will pass on your kind sentiments and let her know she won’t be progressing further in the candidacy.”

“This process is utterly painful. I want the best for all of them and me. I don’t want to hurt them.”

“Coming into this you were an unknown. Selections were finalized the day of your awakening. We knew little about you. The process is going well. In the future, please include Viktor and me before anyone departs.”

“I will. From this point on, it’s likely to get harder anyways.”

“Agreed. All that remain are good candidates. I see Devin is waiting for you. Rhain has chosen to meet you on the upstairs balcony overlooking the veranda. You’re on your own after that until tomorrow morning.”

“Thank you, Salle.”

Devin waved me towards him. He reached for my hand and kissed it in greeting.

“You look impressive, Princess Alya. I was mesmerized when I caught a glimpse of you training. You’re breathtaking to watch. I know you have only managed a few days training, but how you weave your hybrid nature together is inspiring. I trust your magical attacks and defenses are equally as good.”

Of all the male candidates, Devin was clearly the most handsome. His gentlemanly approach and careful use of words made him easy to be around.

“Thank you for that. Spending my life in the mortal plane, unawakened and not knowing the supernatural world existed, has been a mental trial to me, obliterating my entire worldview. Hearing you praise me for something I was never taught and quite frankly never needed, boosts my confidence.”

“You inherited much of your abilities from your parents, who, by the way, were people that I admired greatly. I’m very sorry you never had a chance to know them.”

“You don’t seem to share the same opinion of me as Chandra does.”

“Not at all. As a scholar, I find your hybrid nature fascinating, but not in a scientific or clinical way. So few hybrids are ever born and I have never heard of a Fae Shifter hybrid. The supernatural species’ animosity towards each other goes back millennia. I saw the love your parents held for each other. To me, it was inspiring to know that our species can break down traditional barriers and overcome. Together, they were the most powerful Hunter team that ever existed.”

“It warms my heart to hear you speak of them in such a way.”

“I hope I do more than just warm your heart?”

I struggled for what to say in response, but Devin continued easing my awkward moment.

“I apologize. It was insensitive of me to put you on the spot like that. We hardly know each other. In many ways, I know far more about you than you know me. I see your character as an extension of your parents’. I have watched you interact with people from afar. You’re a woman I already admire and there is no comparing your beauty.”

“That’s far more compliments than I deserve.”

“On the contrary, but it’s nice to see your modesty and humility. What questions do you have for me?”

“I’m completely confused when it comes to mages and witches. Can you help me understand the differences?”

“I would be happy to. Please don’t take my description of mages as boasting. All the species have a place and each one has their own strengths and weaknesses. Witches learn by passing on their knowledge from one to another. It’s more lore and stories, written recipes, per se. Mages begin school early in life and form a love of scholarly learning for their entire lives. Our formal education is a blessing and a curse. It leaves no stone unturned in our learning, making certain we all learn everything. The curse is that our constant historical learning doesn’t allow time for creativity or innovation.

“As for use of magic, mages are gifted conjurers and manipulators of objects. Where you can create a vine or a wall of stone, mages can’t. Conjuring is when a mage uses the ether to store items and retrieve them for use. Manipulation of objects allows a mage to throw a boulder across this garden, shrink its size, change the make-up of it, but I can’t create from nothing like a Fae can.”

Devin unlinked my arm from his and with several motions of his hand, reached his hand into a shining void and pulled out a flaming sword.

“That’s incredible!”

“Mages are good at enchantments, taking an ordinary sword like this one and layering onto it other types of magic. Our magic is tied to objects. To cast a bolt of lightning, I would need to funnel magic through an object, like a wand. We tune wands to our preferred disciplines.

“Witches are exceptional at spells, potions, visions, glamours, and illusions. They can be very powerful in a battle but need to be protected until they can cast their spell. That’s their weakness.

“When I consider options for a great Hunter team, having a hybrid like yourself and a partner of another discipline simply makes sense. Since each species has weaknesses and strengths, having diversity of magic can only strengthen a team as they can cover for each other’s weaknesses. That’s why your parents were so successful. A Fae and a Shifter are a powerful combination.”

“That’s so helpful. Thank you.”

“What other questions can I answer?”

***

My time with Devin flew by. He was extremely easy to talk to and didn’t pressure me in any way. I had just enough time to bathe and change before meeting Rhain. Poor Rhain. He too was a perfect gentleman. He was incredibly attentive, but my mind was swirling with interactions and the busyness of the day. I found myself somewhat distracted.

Admittedly, the dinner date was exactly what I would have pictured a real mortal plane date to be like, complete with the gentleman walking me to my room and us awkwardly trying to figure out an appropriate way to say goodbye. He didn’t ask for a kiss, for which I was grateful.

Having spent time with the remaining candidates, I felt Lorrena and Devin were at the top of my list, Rhain closely following, with Seth a more distant fourth place. I was eternally thankful for finishing the very long day.

My rose had miraculously managed to stay intact throughout the events. When I slipped into bed, I placed the rose on the pillow next to me and curled my fingers around the stem. That’s how I fell asleep.

***

The garden was in full bloom. Everywhere I looked, plants were flourishing. Even the witches’ fame and fortune tree was now loaded with fruit.

“You’re here and you brought the flower I gave you.”

I turned to face the woman. Today, she appeared in a beautiful flowing gown. It showed how truly beautiful she was even though I wasn’t at all upset by seeing her in skin hugging leather.

“It appeared on my pillow when I woke up. I carried it with me throughout the day as a gentle reminder of you.”

“Do you still believe it’s a dream when a flower passes between the boundaries of dreams and reality?”

“Salle believes I created it. That my dream triggered my own Fae magic and I created the flower.”

“Is that what you believe?”

“I wish these dreams were real. I just can’t grasp that they can be.”

“If this isn’t real, then who am I?”

I stepped as close as I dared. “My imaginary perfect mate. My true mate. Someone that I yearn to touch, that I pray for a kiss, but only to be denied night after night.”

She looked at me with such longing. “I want you to do something for me, Alya.”

“Anything.”

“My name is Selena. I need to feel the touch of your magic. Speak my name with the fullness of your heart.”

She closed her eyes. I could feel her vulnerability.

“Selena.” I whispered, but her name vibrated with emotion as it passed my tongue.

She inhaled sharply and opened her eyes. “Never has my name been spoken so beautifully. I can’t hide my smile that I wore a dress for you, and you wore a fighting gown. You are everything I ever dreamed of and more.”

A knock sounded at the door and the dream faded.

“No!!!!”

I threw myself into Selena’s arms as the second knock came.

“Come in Salle.” I growled out.

The door opened and Salle stepped lightly across the room.

“By the look on your face, I ruined another one of your dreams.”

“I can’t touch her!”

“You can’t touch who, Alya?”

“The woman in my dreams. The same woman I meet night after night.”

“You’re dreaming of a woman? One of the candidates?”

“No. It must be my subconscious. I’m just not feeling anything more than friendship towards any of them and I think I’m dreaming of my perfect mate.”

“Describe her for me.”

“She’s a hybrid, like me, but different species. I think she is a vampire witch hybrid. She has long burgundy hair and the deepest blue eyes I have ever seen. She’s a little taller than me. She’s a fighter and has spent several years living in the mortal plane.”

“Does she have a name?”

“At first she was afraid to give me her name saying it was dangerous. Last night, she told me her name was Selena.”

Salle’s eyes widened, but she set her face quickly neutral again. “Fascinating.”

“That’s it? Just fascinating?”

“What else is there to say?”

I sat up; the perfect rose was still clutched in my hand.

“What’s your assessment of the candidates after yesterday?”

I began with a heavy sigh. “Since I can’t have my imaginary mate, Selena, Lorrena and Devin are my two top choices so far. Rhain is a close third, then Seth. I have two concerns with Seth. First, as a Shifter does he believe in monogamous relationships? This is important to me. Second, if I’m already a Shifter, would it not make for a better team to have a different species other than Fae or Shifter?”

“All very important considerations, Alya. I think your assessment is in alignment with Viktor’s and mine. There are three events planned for today. The service for your parents this morning. A fighting competition, which you’re excluded from, but need to be there to watch. A grand ball and formal dance.”

“Is it tradition here for those showing their respect to wear anything in particular?”

“Unlike the mortal plane, where people wear black, here people will wear a bright color, signifying the brightness of the deeds of those we lost.”

“Could you help me with my hair?”

“I would be happy to.”

***

Salle took time with my hair, taking long strands from the crown of my head twisting them, and binding them at the back of my head. It was a simple style that would keep the hair out of my eyes and provided a gentle style that I hoped suggested innocence. My magic helped me select a flowing yellow gown and matching shoes.

The ceremony for my parents was held in a large arena near the city center of Revaria. The candidates, elders, and heads of species all had special seating up front. Salle explained some of the ceremony, but I was unprepared for the powerful emotions that swept through me as I was ushered towards my seat. The arena had reached maximum capacity as thousands had come out to honor my parents.

I was front and center with Viktor and Salle on either side of me. The candidates were spread out in the row behind me. On the stage stood an elder of each species and the two remaining parents. My grandparents. Cirro Dayvale, King of the Fae and Kindroth Huntington, High Alpha for the Shifters. Until that moment, I hadn’t known my grandfather was High Alpha. Fortunately for me, that didn’t make me a princess of the Shifters, just that I was a direct descendant of the most powerful Shifter. Unsurprisingly, the High Alpha was a position fought for. I could feel both of their powerful magics and auras from the front row.

Cirro looked straight at me. There was a hint of pride and sadness in his eyes. He tipped his head towards me in acknowledgement. Kindroth barely glanced my way, but his eyes did linger on me for a moment.

Cirro moved forward and the crowd settled and quieted. “It is with sadness and joy that we meet here today. Sadness in that those we loved and who protected us have now departed. Joy in knowing that these two people were anointed to the highest and most coveted positions in the land. They were our Hunters and they served us well with honor.”

Images of my mother and father solidified before my eyes. They were illusions, but they were so lifelike I thought I could touch them. They moved like they were alive, and my heart shattered. I choked back my sobs, unable to contain my tears. Cirro paused as he watched me. Salle tried to grab my arm, but I was already moving. The crowd became deathly silent behind me. I collapsed on the steps leading up to the stage, my hand stretching towards the illusionary feet of my parents. My magic flowed as flowers of all kinds sprung forth around them and me. I stayed there sobbing through the entire ceremony and well past the time anyone that wanted could come to the front and pay their respects.

Not a soul touched me, except for one. A warm, gentle hand rested on my shoulder. A touch that instantly brought heat to my body and a glimmer of peace for my broken soul. A green fruit that I recognized from the witches’ fame and fortune tree was placed into my hands. I hastily wiped my tears and looked back at the crowd but saw no one.

It was a short time later that Viktor and Salle came to my side. Salle knelt next to me. “When you’re ready, we’ll take you home.”

I nodded slowly, wiped my face again, having spent all my tears. I had mourned the loss of the parents I never knew. It deeply moved me. I pushed myself back and stood to my feet. The flowers that had started around me had spread to the entire stage.

“Did I do that?” I sniffed.

“You did, Alya. I have never been so moved by anyone’s demonstration of grief like I was by yours. Everyone here saw how you respected your parents, parents you never knew. Everyone felt the pain of your magical aura. It was profound. A flower formed for each tear you shed. Thank you for that gift.”

“I have to wonder what my grandparents, elders, and the candidates think of me, a girl, broken and shattered. How can they believe I would make a good Hunter or mate?”

“You can’t be either a good Hunter or mate without depth of caring for others. If they can’t see how this makes you stronger, then we’ll be happy to send them packing. Where did you get the fruit?”

“Someone from the crowd touched me and left me the fruit. I didn’t see who it was.”

“Do you know what it is?”

“It’s a fruit that eases pain and suffering from loss.”

“How do you know that?”

“From my dreams with Selena. There was a tree in the garden where we were.”

“Interesting.”

“If you like, I can provide you with a list of alternative words for interesting.”

Salle smiled and made a portal. “Let’s get you home.”

When we stepped into the foyer, Abigail immediately came to us. “You have a very important guest, Alya. He’s waiting for you in the library.”

I headed straight to the library and stepped inside. Cirro Dayvale was waiting for me. The look he gave me, one of deep sorrow, made my heart pound and I began to weep all over again.

“Come here, Alya.”

He held open his arms and even though I never met him, I ran into them and he held me tightly. We wept together. When we finally pulled apart, he wiped my tears with his fingers.

“Such a travesty has never happened in Fae history that one of our own, you, were removed from our family and hidden. Upon my daughter’s… our Hunters’ deaths, I received a magical communication from them. Your parents believed there was a real threat to your life and obviously, this was true with their murders. Regardless of the reason why, I want you to know you are my granddaughter and the sole heir to the throne of the Fae kingdom. Now that I know of your existence, I will never turn my back on you. You’re the only family I have left.

“The process of reestablishing the Hunters is vitally important. It must take priority, but as soon as this is completed, the Fae community will celebrate you. While you have a home here, you also have a place in the palace.”

“Are you certain you want me, a hybrid, a sniveling young woman with no experience running a kingdom, and little to no understanding of the supernatural world, to be your heir?”

“Without any doubt.”

“Then I will do my utmost to make you proud and learn everything I need to know.”

“Proud? You need to do nothing for me to be proud of you.”

I wrapped my arms around him again. “Today, you have given me something I have never had before. A family.”

***

As my grandfather rightfully shared, the process for becoming a Hunter was the first priority and after we had a touching farewell with many promises to stay in touch, I headed to lunch with Salle and Viktor.

“How did your meeting go?” Salle asked.

“Better than I could possibly imagine. I have a family, albeit a small one. My grandfather affirmed his support for me and despite all my flaws, he insists I’m worthy of being the heir to the Fae kingdom. It’s been an emotional day.”

Abigail appeared once again. “There is another guest. I’m not sure how to…”

Salle nodded. “Bring them here to us.”

Abigail tipped her head at me and then nodded. She looked rather confused. “I’ll go get her.”

Several moments later, my dream woman was ushered into the room. Her gaze locked on mine.

“Excuse me for interrupting, Princess Alya.” She turned to Viktor. “Hello Father.”

Viktor stood and hugged Selena while I sat with my mouth hanging open.

“After hearing Salle’s update on Alya’s dreams, I was expecting you, but, for the record, why are you here?”

“The magic of the immortal plane called me. I’m here, self-selected as a candidate for Princess Alya’s mate and role as Hunter.”

“What was the basis of your magical calling?”

“The fact that I’m Princess Alya’s true mate. Ever since she was awakened, her magic has called to me. We have met every night in our dreams. The magic is so profound that upon awaking there were physical manifestations of objects from our shared dreams.”

“My rose?”

Selena nodded and reached into her pack, pulling out a pink fruit that I had given her in our dreams. “And this fruit.”

Salle looked smug. “It will require both of our approvals to allow this, Viktor. I would like to see Selena become an official candidate.”

Viktor looked thoughtful as I mentally pleaded with him.

“I agree. Selena, you will be provided a room and will need to be ready in an hour for the start of the fighting competition. We will announce you to the other candidates then.”

Salle added. “There is also the gala dance tonight.”

Selena stared at me as she smiled. Her eyes were the brightest I had ever seen them.

“I’m looking forward to a dance tonight, Princess Alya.”

I bit my lower lip as she turned to leave. “Wait!” I moved as quickly as I could to her. “If I touch you, will I wake up?”

Selena grinned. “Try it.”

I threw my arms around her and buried my head in her mass of burgundy hair. “You’re real!”

“I told you that already.”

My hand moved to her cheek and she leaned into it. “I wish I could…”

“No need to elaborate. I wish the same thing.”

I almost didn’t let her go. I stared at the door for a lengthy moment taking a faltering step towards it before turning back to face Viktor and Salle. I pointed my finger at Salle first.

“You knew?”

“I suspected.” She smiled.

My finger shifted to point at Viktor. “You’re her father?”

“That’s a long story, one I think Selena should tell.”

***

For the first time in days, I had a chance to not be the focal point and not having to be the one entertaining the candidates. Season one, episode three had started out with a bang and multiple twists of epic proportions.

I leaned forward in my chair and watched over the competition field. The candidates might have considered my posture as eagerness to see them fight each other, but they would be wrong. I was anxiously waiting for Selena to appear, still believing I was dreaming.

Dominic stood to the side acting as an official for the event. The four candidates mingled amongst themselves, often casting glances my way. When Selena entered the area, she looked formidable in her all-black skintight leather armor and assortment of weapons.

She stepped closer to our seats, bowed low, and proclaimed in a loud voice. “Princess Alya. Today, I fight for you.”

My heart fluttered as I ignored all the candidates’ snarls and angry outbursts. Viktor stood on our raised seating area.

“Candidates, please step forward.”

“What is the meaning of this?” Seth shouted.

“Who is this imposter?” Lorrena growled.

Selena gave a slight bow. “What? You don’t recognize your own cousin, Princess Lorrena?”

Cousin?

Rhain pushed his way towards Selena. “You’re no cousin of ours. You’re nothing, hybrid scum!”

Note to self. Rhain minus ten points.

“Quiet down!” Viktor yelled. “Yes, there has been a new addition to the ranks of the candidates. Selena Drach.”

“That hideous creature wasn’t selected by the elders!” Lorrena exclaimed loudly.

I thought Lorrena would be more gracious. Minus ten points.

“This isn’t the only time our plane’s magic has selected an alternative candidate. Selena is supposed to be here.”

“Rubbish!” Seth growled.

“Enough! The decision is made. Selena will compete like the rest of you.”

Devin walked over to Selena and shook her hand. “Welcome.”

Plus ten points for Devin.

“Today’s event is to showcase your abilities. Salle and I will be judges. We will be tallying hits against you. If you receive five hits, you’re out of the event. You may use any weapon or magic you possess. This is a competition, not a brawl. Life-threatening attacks are not permitted and will result in automatic expulsion from the event and possibly dismissal from the candidacy process. The last person standing wins dinner with Princess Alya tonight before the ball. Any questions?”

With no questions, I watched Lorrena and Rhain whispering to each other before moving apart.

“Move to your starting positions.” Viktor waited for everyone to space themselves out on the event field. “Begin!”

Seth transformed into a wolf and darted straight for Devin. Selena stood calmly mumbling to herself as Rhain and Lorrena closed in on her. When they were close enough to strike, Selena finished her spell and vanished into thin air. Suddenly, Selena sprung up in five other places at once. She was using illusions. Lorrena and Rhain looked confused, then separated and moved to slice apart the Selena illusions. Meanwhile, Seth plowed into Devin and hit him twice before Devin drew his weapons and earnestly began fighting.

Rhain had finally figured out which Selena was the real one and attacked her with force, but Selena held her ground. Her dagger and sword flashing so quickly they were a blur. In seconds, Rhain had three hits against him before Lorrena made it to his side.

I couldn’t tear my gaze from Selena as she fought. I watched as she took a hit but dropped a vial onto the field. Black smoke surrounded her and Lorrena and Rhain nearly crashed into each other swinging blindly. Selena popped into existence next to Seth, who was still focused on Devin. She made two quick hits on Seth before Seth turned to lunge at her. That was enough for Devin to make two hits on Seth. Seth was distracted as Selena tagged him one more time.

“Seth is out!” Viktor shouted.

Lorrena and Rhain shifted into their more powerful vampire forms and quickly descended upon Selena with razor sharp talons. Their strength and speed increased as well as their violence and anger. Selena got three quick hits against Lorrena, but she was losing ground fast. Devin used his magic for the first time, casting a bolt of horizontal lightning at the trio of fighters. The resulting burst of energy sent Selena, Rhain, and Lorrena falling away from each other. Rhain scrambled to his feet and leapt the entire distance over to Devin who didn’t stand a chance against Rhain’s onslaught.

Moments later Viktor shouted. “Devin is out!”

Rhain called to Lorrena. “We end her!”

“Forever!” She shouted back.

My heart was pounding as I watched in horror as Rhain attacked Selena from slightly behind her. One moment he was away from her, the next he was there, his talons tearing deeply into her side. I could see the blood from where I sat. Lorrena took advantage and knocked Selena’s blade from her weakening hand before thrusting her taloned hand into Selena’s stomach.

I heard everyone yelling to stop, but Rhain and Lorrena continued their frenzied attack. Deep within me I felt my Shifter magic explode to life and with an earth-shattering roar I transformed into my animal form. I had no time to consider my huge wings or size of my golden dragon form. I was airborne in a second and swept down, crashing into Rhain and Lorrena sending them sprawling and away from Selena.

They drunkenly staggered to their feet and took one look at a very pissed off dragon and wisely ran. A second later, I shifted back to my human form and was on top of Selena, pouring every ounce of my magic into her to heal her. Salle dropped wide-eyed to my side and with her healing touch, Selena was knit quickly back together. I cradled Selena in my arms and rocked her back and forth until a smothered voice sounded beneath me.

“Holy crap. You’re a dragon Shifter.”

“Selena! Are you all right?”

“Whatever juice you poured into me is top grade stuff. I feel great. I might need another set of training clothes though.”

Salle and I helped her to her feet and we both looked her over carefully.

“I’m fine.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yes.”

I hugged her tight.

“I should get hurt everyday if this is the attention I get.”

Devin and Seth came over to check on Selena. They warily stayed back from me. Once I knew Selena was all right, I growled and Seth nearly fell onto his backside as my Shifter magic raged within me.

“I’ll kill them!”

It was Dominic that grabbed my shaking arms.

“Calm yourself, Alya. Don’t let the Shifter magic force you to do something you will regret. Rhain and Lorrena were caught up in their bloodlust and already angry with the introduction of a new candidate. Breathe. Let your Fae nature calm your dragon.”

I took several deep breaths and then the enormity of what had happened hit me.

“Did I hurt anyone?”

“No one was hurt. You did exactly what was needed to stop the fight. You’re control of your animal form was impressive, Alya.”

Selena nudged Viktor. “Does this mean I get dinner with our beautiful princess?”

“I would say Rhain and Lorrena disqualified themselves leaving you the victor. Salle, Let’s round up our two runaways.”

I realized I was still holding Selena’s hand. “Selena. You were the one that was wounded. What do you suggest should be done with Rhain and Lorrena?”

“Don’t send them home in disgrace. Let them choose their path for themselves.”

I nodded. “I’m not sure what they were thinking, and quite frankly it’s unforgivable, but I’m with Selena on this. I considered them my friends as I do all of you. I need to hear it from them as to why they did this.”

Viktor nodded and took Salle with him to find Rhain and Lorrena.

“I better get all dolled up if I’m having dinner with you, Alya.”

“Meet me on the veranda balcony in an hour and a half?”

“I’ll be there.” She squeezed my hand and I almost didn’t let go.

Devin nodded. “I’ll get ready for tonight. I want at least one dance with you.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”

Seth looked at me sheepishly. “I spoke with Yasmin. She told me how you want someone completely monogamous. I could do that, for you, but I was the first one out today and I feel my magic tugging me home. It’s telling me I’m not your mate, nor am I the next Hunter.”

A tear came to my eye. “I understand, Seth. You’re a great person. Although you may not be my mate, you will forever be my friend if you will have me as one. Please, stay for the gala at the very least.”

“To be called your friend is a gift that I will gladly cherish and reciprocate. I’ll stay and have a great time knowing I no longer have to impress you.”

“You impressed me from the moment I met you.”

“I’ll see you tonight, Alya.”

That left Dominic and me.

“I could always sense your raw power, Alya. Your father was a wolf Shifter. It’s extremely rare for a Shifter’s primary animal form to be a dragon. You’re destined for great things. Let’s make time together to train you using your dragon and other animal forms if you have them.”

“I would like that very much.”

Dominic bowed and walked away leaving me to my thoughts. What a day so far and there was still so much more to come.

***

I waffled back and forth. Sexy or pretty? With a nudge from my magic, I was guided to a snug fitting, short red dress. The hem stopped above my knees, the neck and back plunged dramatically. Since I was still new to dressing as a woman, I appreciated my magic giving me insight. If my magic could only do my hair I would be in heaven.

I arrived at the balcony before Selena. I was fidgety and nervous. Feelings inside of dreams didn’t necessarily equate to feelings in real life, or did they? There was no doubt my heart tugged at me regarding Selena and quite possibly my magic had intervened on my behalf to find my mate, but I still knew little about her and she came with a large, burlap sack filled with mysteries.

I was leaning over the balcony railing when I heard the door open accompanied by a sharp intake of breath. I turned to face Selena. She was staring at my legs.

“Did I break some immortal plane taboo by selecting this dress? You don’t like what you see?”

“I was wondering if I had died and this was the eternal plane. But if it were the eternal plane I would question if I deserved to see such beauty.”

I moved intimately close to Selena. My hand hovered over where her side had been ripped open. I hesitated to touch her again but let my fingers lightly graze the silky fabric of her dress. “You’re all right?”

“You and Salle have great healing skills. I’m fine.”

Her hand moved and laced her fingers with mine. “I’ve been wanting to do that. To touch you.”

“You knew the dreams were real from the start?”

“Witches are prone to visions and dreams. For two years I dreamt of that garden. I watched it slowly die, Alya. I was dying, not physically, but emotionally. I had lost hope I would ever find my true mate, then you appeared. Night by night the garden improved. I knew you were my mate the moment I first set my eyes upon you. Your magic reached across vast distances to collide with mine, pulling me from my depths of despair.”

Selena wrapped her arms around me, and I laid my head on her shoulder. That’s when Abigail found us.

“Excuse me, Princess Alya. Dinner is prepared. Do you need a moment?”

I was blushing furiously as I pulled away. “We’re ready. Thank you.”

We sat down as the food was brought to us. When the staff left, I remained quiet, deep in thought.

“Are you normally this quiet in real life? You never seemed to have a problem talking in our dreams.”

“Sorry. So much has changed for me. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around everything. You seem so certain I’m your true mate, but you don’t even know me. What if I’m a horrible person or you don’t like the way I fold socks?”

“If you grew up not aware of magic or what you really were, then I can understand. Over time, our magic acts like a sixth sense. My magic would churn around you if you weren’t my mate. It would warn me. Mating isn’t a simple matter, not to those with magic within them. Our magic has a shape. Imagine it like a puzzle piece. It can only be perfect if it merges with another person’s magic with the right form to snap into place. People still mate without the magical bonding, but it will never be the same. Your magic fits mine perfectly, and it’s a very good thing because you’re stunning, and I’m very physically attracted to you.”

“You were the only one that touched me this morning at my parent’s ceremony. The only one that cared.”

“Do you know how much pain your magic was radiating? No one dared touch you for fear of succumbing to that pain. It’s not that they didn’t care. I’ve had my fair share of pain and I wanted to do something to help relieve you of your burden.”

“Thank you. It meant a great deal to me. Was that the first time you saw me in person?”

“It was. I wanted to be here for the ceremony. I arrived just as you collapsed onto the stairs. I was at the back of the arena and felt the wave of magic you sent out.”

“To think that’s how you first saw me. Broken. Weeping. What a sorry picture it must have been.”

“It was the most beautiful moment I’ve ever witnessed. I knew then that you feel deeply. You live through your emotions. If you could love two people that you never met, how much more could you love a shattered and ruinous person like me.”

“Why do you call yourself shattered and ruinous? Why were you dying emotionally?”

“As you well know, hybrids are extremely rare. Growing up here, I faced the worst bullying you could imagine. The witches hated me and so did the vampires. I was hunted, attacked, and beaten. I survived only by learning to fight and teaching myself my magic. At one point the bullying and attacks became so horrendous that I ran away from this place hoping to find some peace only to realize the mortal world could offer me even less. I spent two years in the mortal plane. Then I realized how foolish I was. How could I find my true mate when so few people around me had magic? To know I have found my perfect mate, another hybrid, makes me believe in poetic justice.”

“I have to ask. Viktor is your father? Rhain and Lorrena are your cousins? How does that even happen?”

“Did they not educate you about sex in the mortal plane?”

I thought she was being serious when she chuckled.

“Viktor is a Norwell. His brother, Vaalyun, is King of the vampires. They’re twin brothers. Viktor is the older and rightful heir to the throne. When they were princes, they both fell in love with my mother, Kaerina Drach, a master witch. She became pregnant, which set off a firestorm of political maneuvering that caused the death of the then reigning vampire King. Viktor and Vaalyun fought. My mother tried to stop them from killing each other. Vaalyun used a sword and cut her down, thrusting his sword into her swollen belly hoping to kill her and me.”

Selena pulled her hair back and away from her right ear. A portion of her ear was missing.

“He nearly succeeded in killing us both. Viktor was trying to save my mother and Vaalyun took the advantage and cut Viktor down. Vaalyun left my mother and Viktor to die, quickly arranging with the elders to bestow upon him the right of kingship. While that was happening, Viktor healed just enough to see his beloved die in his arms. In his grief, he fell over my mother’s body only to feel me kicking still inside her. He cut me out and managed to find someone to take me while he left to heal and recover.

“It was many years later that I discovered a spell to seek out my birth parents. The magic worked and led me to Viktor’s door. He didn’t even know if I was his or Vaalyun’s. Learning how my spell was designed, it confirmed for him that I was his daughter. He confessed everything and we have slowly built a tenuous relationship.”

“I saw Viktor in an argument with Rhain and Lorrena the other day. I bet all that history had something to do with it.”

“It’s a real family feud. Technically, Viktor should be king, yet he was devastated and didn’t fight for the throne. Vaalyun found another woman and had a son, Sebatian, then Rhain and Lorrena. If anything happens to Vaalyun, Viktor would inherit the throne and I would become heir. Rhain and Lorrena hate me for that. They see me as the bastard child that could ruin their family forever. They’ve punished me for years and finally today, they tried to end my life once and for all.”

“Your arrival made them think you were trying to take this from them, the prestige of being a Hunter.”

“If something happened to Vaalyun, Viktor still might not take the throne, but they would love to see Viktor and me dead. However, I wonder if there is more to their animosity today. I’ve fought them before, but it was never like today when their intent was to end my life. Being a Hunter is prestigious, but perhaps they were more concerned about losing you as a possible mate.”

“I can’t imagine that being the case. I’m hardly worth fighting for.” My body, heart, and magic, all felt the pull of Selena. Even going through the motions of the past few days with the candidate process left me feeling guilty. “Not knowing you were real I thought my only options were the candidates. Lorrena was my favorite. I don’t even know if I can look at her now.”

Selena stiffened. “You feel something for her?”

“I care about her, but I don’t love her. There is no magical bond with her. I thought she was my best choice, so I had to be open to the idea. But I never did anything inappropriate with her. We never kissed. I…”

Selena smiled and reached across the table to take my hand in hers. “I understand. You’re attempt to make me not worry is heartwarming. It shows me you care what I think about you. You’re worried. Don’t be. If you want me, I’m here.”

“After today, I couldn’t imagine being with her anyways. She and Rhain did something unforgivable. There was no honor in what they did, rivalry, feud, or not. That isn’t something I would want to see in a Hunter and something I couldn’t live with in a mate.”

“Do you know just how special you are, Alya?”

I laughed so hard I almost snorted.

“What’s so funny?”

“If you really knew me, putting the word special and my name together in the same sentence wouldn’t be possible. A week ago, I was a nobody. I wrote boring technical manuals for athlete’s foot fungus gels and fake roofing materials. I had a six hundred square foot apartment and a dying African violet. There is nothing special about me, Selena. Nothing.”

“That’s where you’re wrong. Everyone in the immortal plane believes they’re special. They all know about the magicless people in the mortal plane and they consider them lower than insects. Every species here believes they’re better than all the others. Shifters choose their alpha through might. To vampires, pedigree is paramount. Witches trace their lineage thousands of years. In a world where people think they’re special, someone that considers themselves not special is likely the most. You see yourself as unworthy. I see you as a precious gem that will upend this world for the better. You will be the next Hunter. Your very existence as a hybrid breaks down barriers. You’re proof that the species can unite.”

“My heart is slamming in my chest right now. It’s crying out for you. I told you in our dreams that I wanted to kiss you. I’m struggling to keep myself on this side of the table. I fear that you’re still a dream and once I give you everything in me, then I will awaken and my heart torn asunder.”

“I feel the same way. That’s the power of being magically bonded to your true mate. I would kiss you, but I can’t bear the loss. The Hunter process must continue, and if I’m not the chosen one… I couldn’t bear having kissed you and then see you given to another. It would break me instantly.”

I reached for her hand and grasped it firmly. “After the gala tonight, I’ll speak with Viktor and Salle. You’re my only choice, but they must also agree you’re the right person for me and to be the next Hunter. As soon as they do, then we can be mated, and you can kiss me all you want.”

***

Selena and I spent extra time together at dinner and even though I only had a half hour to get ready for the gala, it seemed an interminably long time to wait. I wanted this process to be over with. I knew in my heart Selena was my mate and as anxious as I was for us to move on, seeing people leave was also painful.

My magic helped me once again with my dress, a long, flowing, formal gown than I could only imagine a princess would wear. I guess that was me, so I inserted myself into the layers of light pink silk and made my way to the ballroom. Casmin announced me when I entered, and I looked around the subdued crowd. No one was dancing. Selena smiled and locked eyes with me but stayed back. This was something we discussed might be best, to not dance or spend too much time together at the beginning of the gala even though it tore at me to not rush to her side.

Rhain and Lorrena stood together. They looked like chastised children and Lorrena started to cry as soon as she saw me. I couldn’t stand there and fight my conflicting emotions. I walked boldly across the dance floor, grabbed Lorrena’s hand, and brought her to the center of the room. Music started.

“What are you doing, Alya?”

“I was hoping you would dance with me.”

“But… I’ve ruined everything.”

“Hush. We can talk as we dance.”

She nodded and slipped her hand around my waist.

“I’m so conflicted, Lorrena. You were my favorite. I enjoyed every moment with you. Then, the contest… What am I to think?”

“There’s history.”

“I don’t care that there’s history between all of you. You nearly killed another candidate. Do you know how much that broke my heart to see?”

“It was different for Rhain. He wanted to be Hunter. I wanted you. When Selena appeared, I knew there was only one reason for her to be allowed. She’s your true mate, isn’t she?”

“Since the day of my awakening, I have met her in my dreams. I never even knew she was a real person until today.”

“I was jealous. Angry. All the bad blood between our families flared to life in my veins. I’ve dishonored myself and am so ashamed.”

“There is a good chance, Selena will be chosen. I can’t deny the feelings I have for her or the magical bond that begs me to be with her. It doesn’t mean I don’t care about you. I’m willing to remain friends, but that can’t happen if you don’t apologize to Selena. You all need to set aside this feud. My parents, our last Hunters were murdered. There are bigger threats that need to be dealt with and I want good people, friends, with me. I can’t work in isolation.”

She looked over at Selena who was watching us closely. “I can do that, then, I will graciously bow out of the candidacy. I would rather have you as a friend than not at all.”

She leaned forward and kissed my cheek, then stepped back, curtseyed with a tear falling down her cheek, and headed towards Selena. I watched as Lorrena fell to her knees in front of Selena and reached for her hand. I could hear her sobs from where I stood. Selena nodded, pulled Lorrena to her feet, then surprised the heck out of me and hugged her. Lorrena walked straight over to Salle and Viktor. They spoke for a minute before Salle nodded and with a last look over her shoulder at me, Lorrena paused.

“I’m not sure what you said to my sister, but don’t expect me to hug that woman.”

The tone in Rhain’s voice was harsh.

“That woman has a name, Rhain. It’s Selena. Do you feel no remorse for nearly killing her?”

“Why should I? She’s Viktor’s bastard child. I’m sure this was all planned well ahead of time to elevate the poor little hybrid bitch to be our next Hunter. Was their money involved? A political maneuver perhaps?”

I slapped him. Hard. “You played me all along, didn’t you? You took the time to research the mortal plane to find some common ground with me. You only wanted to be Hunter, never my mate.”

Rhain didn’t look shocked at my accusation. “You hybrids are all alike. Always ruining things for the purebloods. You should step down, you’re unfit to be a Hunter.”

“I’m unfit?” I fought to keep my dragon under control. “What kind of Hunter would you be? A conniving, conceited man that would kill another candidate because of their biases. You would mate with someone you despised to grab a little prestige and power. You would ruin my life so you could elevate your own. You disgust me.”

He grabbed my neck and shifted. His talons hovered over my jugular. Everyone began to move, but I slowly put my hand up to wave them off. If looks could kill, Rhain would have dropped dead by Selena’s steely gaze.

“You want to kill me, Rhain? What will that do to help you get what you want?”

Lorrena’s scream tore through the ballroom. “Rhain! No!” She ran towards us.

I had a dozen ideas to get out of my current predicament ready to unleash. Lorrena’s hand grabbed Rhain’s arm.

“Don’t do this, Rhain.” She pleaded.

Rhain looked at Lorrena with hate-filled storming eyes. “I can’t believe you fell in love with her. You betray your station.”

“I’m offended by my station, one granted to me by a heinous act. Don’t make a bigger mistake than father did.”

Lorrena pulled on Rhain’s arm, but with all her strength, his arm barely moved. Vines snapped up, wrapped around his arm, and pulled with Lorrena, removing his talons from my throat. Selena took that opportunity to move in and placed her dagger at Rhain’s throat.

“Don’t ever touch my mate.” She hissed.

Selena’s protective actions sent heat through me. Rhain struggled only for a moment. He shifted back to his normal form. Although defeated, he was still filled with hate.

“Let go of me, Lorrena. I disavow any connection I have to you. You’re lost to me, no longer family.” He turned his focus back to me. “And you. The Valg easily murdered your parents. You won’t last a week because you’re nothing like them. You make a mockery of the position of Hunter.”

House security flooded the room and took Rhain from Selena’s tight hold. Thorin, the vampire elder entered the ballroom as Selena came to stand by my side.

Thorin shook his head slowly. “My apologies for my late arrival, Princess Alya. Viktor and Salle informed me of the incident involving Rhain and Lorrena during the competition. I have spoken to Vaalyun and he is livid about his childrens’ actions and offers his sincerest apologies.” He took in the guards holding Rhain. “I take it there has been a second incident?”

Selena brushed my hand as she stepped forward. “I wish to state that I find the actions of Lorrena and Rhain against me earlier today as understandable. My appearance at the Hunter candidate process caused much dissention. Lorrena has sought my forgiveness and I have granted her this.”

“And what of Rhain’s attack on you?”

“I don’t believe Rhain is remorseful in the slightest.”

Rhain struggled but was held firmly by the guards. “The only thing I’m remorseful over is not ending your life.”

Thorin sucked in a long breath. “Princess Alya, I’m addressing you as there is no doubt you will be our next Hunter. Once that ceremony is completed, you will be the authority we must turn to in matters such as these. Rhain and Lorrena attacked Selena, a Hunter candidate, with the intent to kill her. I suspect I missed another recent incident with Rhain. What is your judgement for their actions?”

“I’m hardly qualified… I don’t even understand the laws of the immortal plane yet.”

“You will be the law, Princess Alya. What is their fate?”

The weight of the worlds fell on my shoulders. I looked from person to person. Lorrena stood shaking like an aspen leaf. Rhain had a smug smile on his face. Salle nodded to me, the simple action conveying my judgement would stand. Viktor leaned back against the wall with his arms crossed. One of his eyebrows raised slightly. He found this amusing. Devin, looked aghast and afraid. Seth, paced back and forth.

“Rhain.” I looked into his eyes. “Your actions demonstrate your intense desire to seek power and prestige at any cost. You have shown no remorse or repentance for your deeds. You will be remanded into your father’s care. You will be banned from ever becoming a Hunter candidate in the future and will not be allowed to hold any position of power or authority. Any action meant to harm a citizen of the mortal or immortal plane that is not deemed self-defense will result in the stripping of your immortal abilities and banishment from the immortal realm.”

Rhain hissed and fought to free himself from the guards, but they held him fast. “You can’t do that!”

Thorin nodded to me. “It is done. And Lorrena?”

Tears formed in Lorrena’s eyes.

“Lorrena. Your actions against Selena Drach today were reprehensible. You have sought forgiveness for your actions and have received that forgiveness from the injured party, however, the rules of the competition were established, and you failed to adhere to them. You have thereby forfeited the right to remain a candidate for the position of Hunter. Since the root cause of your actions appears to stem from deep-seated animosity to your cousin and uncle, you will spend one hundred hours with your uncle, Viktor Norwell, over the next month.”

Lorrena looked somewhat fearfully over at Viktor, but she lifted her chin. “I accept your judgement and know that if the Hunters need my service at any time, I will be available.”

I faced Thorin. “Anything you would like to add, Elder Thorin?”

He smiled. “I do believe you will make an excellent Hunter, Princess Alya. I have nothing to add. I’ll take Rhain and Lorrena with me so you may all continue the process.”

The gala was feeling rather subdued. Selena caught my eye and nodded towards Devin. It appeared he was waiting to speak to me. Seth was talking to Salle and Viktor gave me a stare suggesting he wanted to talk.

Devin drank deeply from a glass flute, draining the amber liquid before coming over to me. “Can we sit together a moment?”

“Of course.”

I smiled reassuringly at Selena as Devin led me to a corner of the room. We both sat in chairs that faced each other.

“I want you to know I meant everything I said to you the other day about your mate and Hunter partner should be a species that will complement you. I fully intended that person to be me. At the time, I was confident in my abilities and very attracted to you. Several things have changed since then.”

“You’re no longer attracted to me.” My mouth spit out the words quickly. I needed some brevity.

“You’re joking. Actually, that is the one thing that remains. Sadly, I lost my confidence during the competition today. I realize I’m a scholar, not a fighter. Being confronted with real attackers, confused, and frightened me. I was useless in battle, and now isn’t a time of peace for Hunters. What was perhaps even more frightening, was when Thorin asked you to pass judgement on Rhain and Lorrena. I never considered that aspect of the position and I can’t fathom being capable of dispensing justice. I saw the pressure it put on you, and I know I would have collapsed under that pressure. You were born for this role.”

“You say I was born for this role, when I know nothing about what I will face or what my role is. I don’t even know anything about being a judge or a fighter.”

“And yet I thought your judgement showed mercy. It was decisive. It cut the seed of destruction but left the plant to grow. I’m going to withdraw.”

“You’re a good man, Devin. Can you do me a favor?”

“Anything.”

“Before you officially withdraw, let me first speak with Salle and Viktor. With you stepping down, that only leaves Selena. Selena is Viktor’s daughter. I want to make certain there is a choice and that choice is made without bias for her sake.”

“She’s your true mate, isn’t she?”

“She is. Even now, I can feel the magical bond pulling at me from across the room.”

“Selena fought well today. I was impressed by her. She’s the right one to be the Hunter, and I can only envy her being your mate. You better go to her before she decides I’m a threat.”

I hugged Devin. “Friends?”

“I would like that.”

I stood and walked over to Selena. “Crazy day.”

“I wanted so badly to rip Rhain apart. I’ve never felt so protective or jealous.”

“There’s nothing and no one to be jealous of. While I may love other people as friends or family, I will only have one true love, and that is you. I will never stray, never be disloyal.”

Selena pulled me into her arms, and I kissed her neck.

“The mating ceremony can’t come soon enough.” She whispered.

“I need to speak with Viktor and Salle. Stay close in case we need to come find you.”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

Seth caught me on the way over to Salle and Viktor.

“I spoke with Salle, Princess Alya. They’re aware that I’m removing myself from the candidacy. Since the gala seems to not have much gala in it tonight, I reserve the right to a dance the next time we meet at one.”

“I promise. I’m sad to see you leave. I enjoyed our time together, without pretense or agenda. In the middle of all the seriousness, you made me smile.”

“I see the way Selena and you look at each other. That’s what you need most. Take care of yourself, Alya.”

“You too, Seth.”

At last I made it over to Salle and Viktor. “Would you both care to meet in private with me?”

“We’ve got words for you, young lady.” Viktor’s tone was tainted with a hint of anger.

“The dining room?”

Salle glanced at Viktor, then nodded. I followed them both. Once within the privacy of the dining room I sat down and drummed my fingers on the table.

“How much have I messed up?”

“One hundred hours with me? Who were you punishing?” Viktor sat across from me with a stern look and crossed arms.

“Lorrena is a very nice woman and aside from trying to kill Selena, I think she has a good heart.”

Salle sat down next to me. “I can honestly say this Hunter selection process has been the most unique one in history. Let me try to summarize. Out of ten…”

“Eleven.” Viktor corrected.

“Eleven candidates, half a them fell in love with you, several didn’t want anything to do with you, one wanted to kill you, and one is your true mate, which I can see from her eyes that she is smitten with you.”

“At least we’re down to two. Isn’t that a good thing, Salle?”

“Seriously? Who is left?”

“Selena, and Devin is technically still in. Who is your choice?”

“Devin.” They said simultaneously.

“But he… What about… We still have time to decide, right?”

They both started laughing.

“Really? Did you just joke about who my mate is going to be?”

“It seemed appropriate for all the pain you caused us.” Viktor said with too much glee.

“We know Devin wouldn’t be able to become a Hunter. Nice fellow though. Honestly, Selena is by far the best choice and not just because she is your true mate. She’s spirited, an excellent fighter, and a master witch and vampire hybrid. She’s perfect.”

Viktor leaned forward. “We need to talk about the judgement you gave Rhain.”

“I was put on the spot. I had no idea I had to judge people.”

“I would have killed him. It’s much less tiresome.”

Salle waved a hand at Viktor. “That’s always your first choice. I thought your judgement was merciful, yet firm. You denied Rhain the very thing he would have murdered, lied, and cheated to get.”

“So… are we done? What’s next?”

“We can perform the mating ceremony tonight if you both agree. You need another few days of training, then we will announce the Hunter anointing celebration, which is a public event. Then you get to work.”

“I don’t have to do anything else like walking barefoot across hot coals or stopping a tornado?”

“Do you wish us to delay the mating ceremony?”

“No…! Sorry, that was a bit forceful.”

Salle laughed. “Then let’s get this done.”

We walked back into the ball room. Viktor waved Devin over and spoke to him quietly. I stood patiently, staring at Selena, and trying hard not to imagine what would happen later. Moments passed, then Devin bowed to Viktor and Salle before coming to stand before me.

“I know we already spoke about this, but there is a part of me that’s still disappointed. You’re quite wonderful Alya Dayvale.”

I had no words as he lifted my hand and kissed my knuckles. He slipped away, leaving some staff, Viktor, Salle, Selena, and me.

“Give me a moment, please?”

“Of course, Alya.”

I moved to Selena and silently took her hand, leading her to the back corner of the ballroom. We sat down, our knees touching.

“You’ve been selected as my mate and next Hunter, Selena.”

“Why do you sound sad when you tell me this?”

“I’m not sad, but pensive. We hardly know each other. The next step is the mating ceremony, which we can perform right away. It’s a big leap to go from a dream to seeing you in person and getting married for life in the same day. I wouldn’t want to condemn you to a lifetime of me unless you were absolutely certain.”

“You’re correct. It’s momentous and yet my magic is telling me you’re the one. My heart tells me I can’t live without you. My body yearns for your touch. If any one of those three parts of me were not in accord, then I would pause. What of you, Alya? What do you feel?”

“I feel like you’re the earth and I’m the moon, unable to escape your orbit. I’m yours to command, yours to take, for the moon has no sway against the pull of the earth, even though everything in me cries out against the injustice of the space between us.”

“You have no fears, no doubts about me?”

“My only fear is that you will find me wanting.”

“Then I say there is nothing to stop us, nothing telling us to not be mated.”

“Let’s do this, for I can’t wait to feel your lips on mine.”

We locked our hands together and moved towards Viktor and Salle in the center of the ballroom. Viktor held up a dagger.

“No turning back.” He spoke with conviction as he handed the dagger to Selena.

Selena stared into my eyes. “I’ve been told that when two true mates bind themselves together with blood, the sensation can be rather intense. Last chance, Alya.”

I nodded and stared with wide eyes as she drew the blade over her left palm.

“Now it’s your turn. Slide the blade carefully over your right palm. No need to cut too deeply.”

I took the blade and slid the sharp edge across my palm. Viktor took the blade from my other hand and stepped back.

Selena interlaced her right fingers with my left hand, then did the same with her other hand, careful to not press our bleeding palms together. She stared into my eyes with longing and passion, then pressed her palm into mine.

For a brief second, nothing happened as our blood mingled, then, just as I was worried something went wrong, a wave of magic crashed through me. If not for our interlaced fingers, I would have been ripped away from Selena. As it was, we both struggled for air and collapsed to our knees.

Wave after wave of magic tore through me, each one less strong than the last. Slowly, the waves diminished, and I felt my breathing come into synch with Selena’s, our hearts beating as one.

Selena smiled. “Alya Dayvale. You are now blood of my blood. I pledge myself to you and you alone.”

“Selena Drach. You are now blood of my blood. I pledge myself to you and you alone.”

As I completed my words, I felt my magic click as if it were locking into place.

“You’re mine, Alya. Forever.”

Selena’s words echoed through my head and I pushed her a thought of my own with a grin. “And you’re mine. Will you kiss me?”

She leaned forward, cupped my face with her right hand, and brought her lips to mine. I melted into her as fire raced through my body. I started smiling as she pulled away.

“Why are you smiling?”

“Because I get to do that with you every day for the rest of my life.”

We stood, and Salle handed us a damp cloth. We wiped away the remaining blood, noticing the cuts were already healed.

“We’ll see you both in the morning. You might want to take advantage of the band, since they didn’t get to play much.”

“Thank you.”

We kept close as we invited the band to play a slow song. As the music started, I let Selena lead. My training had helped me not make a fool of myself as we drifted across the ballroom floor. I felt like a princess.

When the song finished, Selena thanked the band and I took the lead, pulling her through the house to my, now our, bedroom. Once inside, with the doors sealed behind us, I stared up into her eyes.

“I’m a little nervous. I’ve never made love to anyone before.”

“We have our entire lives together. We can take our time.”

“I don’t want to take time. I’ve waited long enough, and I have the woman of my dreams before me. I’m yours completely.”

I reached back and unclasped my dress, letting it fall to the ground in a puddle of pink silk.

“Gods, you’re perfect.” Selena’s voice dripped with passion. She slid out of her blue dress leaving me to take in all her glory. She was exquisite.

She took my hand and pulled me towards the bed.

***

Sunlight streamed through the bedroom window, highlighting Selena’s face and hair. She looked like an angel and I was giddy with excitement knowing that she was mine. The previous night had been magical and if there were anything left of my fragile male ego, it vanished after Selena brought me over the edge of ecstasy for the first of numerous times.

My fingers reached out and gently traced the line of her jaw as her eyes fluttered open. Her smile made my heart skip a beat.

“Good morning, my love. That was the most glorious night of my life.”

I kissed her and her hand moved to the swell of my hip, pulling me against her. Our passions ignited far faster than I expected, but we slowed things down just enough to get into the oversized bathtub together.

Needless to say, we were both squeaky clean by the time we made our way to the closet to find clothes for the day. We were surprised to find a new array of clothing, all of Selena’s already there.

“What does the day have in store for us?”

“Training for me.” My magic tugged at me and I found a dusty-rose colored leather outfit, that was a cross between a skirt with leggings and a fighting dress.

“Wherever you are, I’ll be right there.” Selena chose her standard black leather fighting outfit.

It took a few extra minutes to get dressed as our hands were all over each other. We walked hand in hand down to the dining room. Salle and Viktor were waiting there for us.

Salle hugged us both and surprisingly, Viktor offered a light squeeze.

Salle stepped back and looked us over. “You’re glowing. Both of you.”

I blushed and tried to shift the topic away from the night and morning of fun. “Training today, Salle?”

“You’ll meet with Dominic to learn more about your shifting skills, and this afternoon I will help you with more Fae magic such as portals, healing, and your wings.”

“I have wings?”

“Not all Fae do, but with your lineage and power, you will. Now that we’ve identified and performed the mating ceremony, we can start teaching you both about your Hunter roles and current events. This evening, Viktor and I will work with you on this.”

Viktor leaned forward. “With the mating ceremony completed, the house has been magically keyed to Selena’s. The staff have been alerted to the change and we’re preparing the Hunter ceremony two days from now in the arena.”

“I guess you’re technically my father-in-law now?”

Viktor grunted.

“Can I call you dad?”

Selena was chuckling as Viktor grimaced. Dominic entered the dining room.

“Congratulations, Princess and Selena. When you’re ready, I will meet you outside in the training area.”

“I’m ready. Selena, are you ready?”

“I’m anxious to see my mate in her dragon form. I always wanted to ride a dragon.”

“Isn’t that what you did last night?”

Selena grinned at our secret conversation.

We followed Dominic outside. I was looking forward to this training session.

Dominic took a seat at a small outdoor table. Selena and I sat across from him; our hands entwined together.

“I understand you both had visions of each other before you met.”

“We did.”

“Then you must share a true magical bond and can speak to each other telepathically.”

Selena nodded.

“This will be very helpful. When you shift, Princess Alya, your animal form can’t speak. Your dragon form can roar, but you will only be able to communicate to Selena. You can use telepathy to communicate to other Shifters when they are in their animal form. We’ll see if you can talk to me. The strongest Shifters can telepathically speak to anyone when they are in their animal form. Normally, a Shifter can only speak to others while shifted into the same animal form. We’ll test you today. Go ahead and move into the center of the field. I want you to shift into your dragon form.”

I let go of Selena’s hand and walked to the center of the manicured grass. I sought my dragon form, and this time, I slid right into it. A second later, I stretched out my giant wings and arched my neck up and around to catch a glimpse of my golden scales. I was very large.

“You’re beautiful, sweetheart. How do you feel?”

“It’s a little frightening to be so huge and powerful. While I have a good sense of where all of me is, I’m worried I might break something or hurt someone if I move too much.”

My senses that had been exceptional since my awakening, were so much better in my animal form that my human form felt like an old black and white television compared to 4k color. I heard Selena relaying my concerns to Dominic.

Dominic and Selena stepped in front of me. Selena inched her way forward and brushed her hand against my cheek. I pushed my head into her hand, but that simple motion nearly threw Selena to the side.

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be.”

“I’m going to shift into my wolf form. I want to see if you can speak to me telepathically.”

It took nearly fifteen seconds for Dominic to shift. He was a huge dark-haired wolf.

“Can you hear me, Alya?”

“I can. Can you hear me?”

“Yes. This is fantastic. I will stay in this form to communicate with you. We will have a limited distance that we can hear each other. I want you to tell Selena to step back then fly until you can no longer hear me before turning back.”

I relayed the message to Selena before she and Dominic backed away. I thrust my giant wings downward and leapt up into the sky as if it were perfectly natural. Oh my God, was flying ever amazing! I had always wanted to fly.

“Go ahead and fly over the city. Keep talking to me, Alya.”

Flying was effortless and I created quite the stir as I flew above the rooftops of the city. I was perhaps a half mile away when I could no longer communicate with Dominic, so I tried Selena.

“Selena?”

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“How far apart can we speak to each other?”

“I don’t think there is a limit at least on the same plane. You reached me in your dreams, and I was well over a thousand miles away.”

“Tell Dominic, I’m turning around. If I land well, then maybe you can ride me.”

“Sounds very sexy.”

As soon as I banked and turned back, I was able to speak to Dominic again.

“Alya. I’ve set up several straw dummies. As you arrive, I want you to swoop down from the sky, and target one with a blast of fire and grab another with your claws. This will test your agility in the air. Take several passes if you need to.”

“Okay.”

As soon as I was back over the house and grounds, I spotted the two dummies easily. I arched up, banked sharply, then dove for the first dummy, snatching it up into my massive claws. I was carrying a lot of speed, but managed to bank hard, my left wingtip skimming the tips of the grass, then belched out a blast of fire that would put a napalm bomb to shame.

I was euphoric, as I swept upwards nearly vertically, dropped the dummy in my claws, then circled back for a landing. I shifted back to my human form.

Selena ran over and wrapped her arms around me. “That was beautiful, sweetheart!”

Dominic stepped up to us. “It appears you have excellent control. Well done. When we first tried to get you to shift, you saw multiple animal forms. The more powerful your shifting ability, the more forms you can draw upon. This can be very useful depending on the circumstances. Close your eyes for me and tell me the animal forms you see. Try not to let your mind wander too much. Give me the ones there are just below the surface.”

“A dragon, wolf, big cat, and hawk.”

“Try to shift into a wolf form.”

I saw the image in my mind, and a moment later I was looking up at Selena and Dominic. My head came up to Selena’s chest. She reached out and stroked my golden fur.

“See if you can shift into a cat right from your wolf form.”

I could feel the shift happen quickly. I was larger than when I was a wolf.

“You look like a tiger, sweetheart. Try the hawk.”

My voice came out as a sharp high-pitched cry. My eyesight was so sharp, I could see an insect and a tree a hundred yards away. I leapt into the air and the feeling of flying was so much different in this form. I could control every feather. I landed and shifted back into my human form.

“When on the mortal plane, I would not recommend you use your dragon form. The mortal plane’s muted magic tends to restrict some animal forms anyways and some of the most powerful Shifters can’t shift or even see an alternate form while there.”

“How many animal forms are there?”

“Not many. Dragons, wolves, bears, large cats, and hawks. Cat forms seem to be constrained to only females and bear forms for males. That may be why you can’t see a bear form. Our high-alpha’s primary form is a bear. Dragon forms are exceptionally rare and will be your strongest and least vulnerable to physical and magical attacks.”

“Anything else I should know, Dominic?”

“Since you’re a hybrid, I’m curious. Shift into your wolf form then try to use your Fae magic. Try to use fire magic on the remaining straw dummy over there that you dropped from the sky.”

I nodded and shifted, itching to run through the forest in this form. I locked my eyes on the straw dummy and tried to call forth my Fae magic. It was there, although somewhat dulled by the Shifter form. Still, I managed to incinerate the dummy before shifting back into human form.

“That’s very impressive, Princess. How did it feel?”

“Like there was a layer of fog weighing my Fae magic down. It was still there, just harder to access.”

Dominic brought his hand to his chin. “I can only imagine the possibilities. You could use water magic as a fire breathing dragon, or a portal while in animal form to teleport yourself to another spot on a battlefield.” Dominic turned and mumbled to himself as he started walking away. “Spend time in each form to get used to them. Also, test your abilities with partial transformations. You might be able to call forth your cat claws or hawk eyes while remaining in human form. I think I’m done here, Princess Alya.”

“Thank you for your time.”

Selena kissed me. “Can I go for a ride?”

I smiled and stepped back, shifting into my dragon form.

***

“This afternoon, I will teach you three Fae abilities. The first is healing. The other day when Rhain held a talon to your neck, you should have already been focusing on your healing and preparing your body to heal itself. Let me show you the difference.”

She handed me a knife.

“Cut your arm with it.”

I frowned but did as requested. My Shifter and Fae normal healing kicked in and the wound closed reasonably quickly on its own.

“Now, I want you to concentrate on your arm. Imagine your healing magic pooling there.”

“Okay.”

“Now cut your arm.”

I did, and no sooner had the blade passed across the skin healed itself without a single drop of blood being lost.

“Wow.”

“When Selena was badly wounded, you used brute force to heal her. When you touch someone that is wounded, let your Fae abilities reach into the person. This will help you see the extent of the damage and you can then focus your magic, healing from the inside out. Heal the critical organs, arteries and veins, bones, muscles, nerves, and skin, in that order. If you don’t, you can leave internal injuries. It only takes a few additional seconds to do this, and you will use far less magic to heal someone. Remember that precision is always important to reduce magic use and to be the most effective.”

“That’s really helpful.”

“Pain can inhibit your abilities, so heal yourself first. Let’s move on to portals. You need to first imagine where you are going. Picture it in your mind. Use all your senses to visualize it, then with a circular motion of your hand, create the portal. Try to create a portal to your bedroom, but before you do, take a mental picture of where you are now.”

I spun slowly, letting my fingers graze Selena’s with a grin.

“Want to go to bed?”

“We’re training you two. No fooling around.”

I imagined our bedroom and created the portal. It shimmered before me.

“Just you Alya. Always first test your abilities on yourself alone.”

I nodded and stepped into my bedroom then had an epiphany. I imagined the garden made a portal, stepped through, cut a rose, and portaled back to the training area.

“For my beautiful mate.” I held up the rose to Selena.

Salle rolled her eyes. “Young love. I assume you were able to get where you wanted to go?”

“Yes.”

“A few things to remember. The further the distance, the more magic it expends. Get familiar with the magical gateways between the planes and main locations within the planes. Portal to a gateway to preserve your magic. It’s strategic to take in your surroundings at all times. You’re Fae, so this should come natural to you, but be mindful. If anything dangerous were to happen, you can portal somewhere close for safety.”

“Got it. What about my wings? Can I see yours?”

Salle’s shimmering transparent wings unfolded. They were so transparent they looked like watered down stain glass windows as they refracted the light.

“They’re stunning!”

“You unfurl them the same way you do anything else. Imagine them, then give a slight push with your magic.”

I was bouncing on my toes. “I’m so ready for this.”

I looked at Salle’s wings and imagined ones like hers on me. There was a gentle tug to my skin near my shoulder blades. I pushed my magic towards the image I had made of my wings and felt a light pop and they unfurled.

“I’ve never seen anything so beautiful, Alya.” Selena reached out and brushed her fingertips over my shining wings.

I moaned softly. “Whoa. I wasn’t expecting them to be so sensitive.”

“I’ll let you figure out how to use them to enhance your love making.” Salle winked.

I bit my lower lip.

Salle grinned. “Fae flight will be unlike your dragon or hawk Shifter forms. Think of Fae flight more like a helicopter. We can maneuver very well and zip around quickly for short distances, but compared to other flying animals, we’re slow over long distances and our wings can’t withstand high-speed pressures. Don’t try to dive down and swoop up at the last second. You will likely break your wings and crash into the ground. They’re perfect for getting away from danger and fighting from the air. Try to keep up.”

Salle lifted herself up off the ground and I felt my wings beating franticly. I felt like a hummingbird as I rose above the ground next to her. She zipped to the side and while I had inherent knowledge, it was still a mental feat to accomplish. We zipped up, down, left, and right, each maneuver was easier than the last. We set ourselves back down on the ground.

I imagined my wings retracting and they did right away.

“You can’t lift much weight with your wings so don’t think you can grab Selena and fly her to the lake.”

It wasn’t the slight inuendo Salle had offered but rather the overwhelming nature of everything. I walked over to a bench and sat down, struggling for breath. Selena was immediately at my side.

“What’s wrong, Alya?”

“I don’t know whether to laugh, or cry right now. It’s too much to absorb.”

Salle sat down next to me. “It’s a lot to take in. It’s only been a few days.”

“I have gone from being nothing and a no one to someone filled with magic. I’m a lethal killing machine, can become a dragon. I have wings and can fly, teleport to another world… I’m exhilarated and mentally exhausted. I’m mated to the most beautiful and wondrous woman I can imagine and my heart sings to be even near her. Then I think back at who I was and how little I understood about the world and I feel so ignorant. With a flick of my finger I can do almost anything. Being a hybrid… It would be overwhelming to find out I was simply a Shifter. Being both Fae and Shifter, I’m contending with the combined attributes. I can fly as a Fae or as a Shifter in dragon or hawk form when a week ago I was bound to the earth. My poor African violet would love me now.”

Selena wrapped her arms around me. “I’ve got your back, Alya. No one expects you to simply move forward with your life as if nothing has changed. We can take our time together and learn. I’m looking forward to training side by side with you to see how my uniqueness will strengthen us as a team.”

“I want to learn and see everything you can do. I’m drinking water from a firehose and while my magic is helping me adapt, it’s still mind boggling. Sometimes I question the power. Is it right to hold so much?”

Salle patted my hand. “Even asking that question makes me believe in you even more. The supernatural community is all about power and for most the more the better. To be important here, to succeed here, having power is like having money in the mortal plane. You can understand why it’s so important we have Hunters. People are still people and power corrupts whether human or supernatural. Hunters, being powerful with the right character to not use it inappropriately, are perfect for maintaining peace and control.”

Selena pulled me to my feet. “I think you need a little time to relax. Salle, were you finished with Alya?”

“For now. Viktor and I will meet you both after dinner giving you about four hours.”

Selena grinned. “I can think of a few things I can do to distract Alya for a few hours.”

I felt heat rise to my cheeks. “Thank you, Salle. You’ve been a blessing throughout the entire process. I couldn’t have gone through this without you.”

Salle pulled me into a long, warm embrace. “I’m sure it will get easier and less overwhelming as time goes on. You’ve had a lot of changes in a short amount of time. I can’t even count them there are so many. If you had a chance, would you go back to the way things were?”

“No. That I know for certain. While ignorance is bliss, it is still ignorance and I would rather go through life with my eyes wide open.”

“That’s good to hear. I will see you both later.”

Selena took my hand and pulled me towards the forest and lake beyond.

***

By the time we met with Salle and Viktor after dinner, I was a new woman. Selena and I hiked, swam in the lake, and went into Revaria for a proper dinner date. Except for drying us off magically, neither of us used our magic the entire time. It was what I needed to feel somewhat normal again.

Selena and I talked more about our lives and I found we were very compatible with each other. I loved how she liked to take the lead with romance and we both thrived on physical touch. It wasn’t that I didn’t take the lead from time to time, but when she did, it solidified in me that she found me desirable. I couldn’t even imagine anyone as wonderful and beautiful as Selena even showing the least bit of interest in me before my transformation. In many ways, I carried that sense of not being worthy with me.

We were laughing and leaning into each other when we arrived in the library to meet Viktor and Salle.

“Hi Dad!” I waved at Viktor.

The look he gave me was so priceless that I burst into a fit of laughter.

Viktor stiffened. “I find nothing funny about this.”

“Maybe one day you’ll give me a hug and say welcome to the family.”

“Not likely. I have standards.” He added with a smirk.

Selena and I sat down together as Salle began the discussion.

“Let’s start by outlining your responsibilities. As you already learned, Alya, you will both be required at times to dispense judgements for punishment. To understand your options, you can choose imprisonment, but know that we have no long-term prisons. Death is an option. You can strip magical powers and abilities, but that is done through the council of elders. They would perform the rite by which powers are removed. You can levy fines, but those fines would go to the community at large or to the person that suffered any direct losses. Imposing work duties is also acceptable. Your judgements on Rhain and Lorrena felt appropriate.”

“Appropriate, if not somewhat unorthodox. Remember to not make someone else have to suffer by imposing your judgement.” Viktor crossed his arms with a huff.

“I know… Sorry about that. Poor Lorrena. It was probably too harsh to have her spend time with you.”

Selena giggled at Viktor’s fake pout.

“In many ways…” continued Salle. “… you can dispense almost any punishment. Just realize you may have to stand before the elder council to explain yourselves if the punishment seemed unwarranted, too soft, or too harsh.”

Viktor pulled out an old parchment with a diagram on it. “You can see on this chart your position in the hierarchy of the supernatural community. You will both be at the top of the chart, but not in the sense of lording over people. Each species have their own order that don’t report to you. Here, you can see the elder council and how they work with you. Incidents within a species usually get reported straight to one of their elders, who then contacts you to investigate. Take a close look at the names here. The staff of this house all report to you and you will both have ultimate authority on what happens in and around the house. The supernatural enforcement team reports to you and you can use them to aid you in your investigations.”

“Kind of like we are directors of Homeland Security. Do we have to meet with them and sign their paychecks?”

“Pay is not something you have to deal with. That is handled by Abigail, the head of the household here, for the home staff, and the head of the supernatural enforcement agency, Caleb Stanton. Speaking of pay, you both receive a salary and will have an account you can draw on for personal expenses. You will meet Caleb in two days after the anointing ceremony.”

“What if we spend time in the mortal plane?”

“You have accounts there as well.”

Salle glanced from Viktor to Selena and me. “On to more serious topics, we believe the Valg are responsible for the murders of your parents. They have steadily grown in strength over the years and now, obviously, pose a large threat to the community. What Viktor and I know is limited. Two relics have been stolen by members of the Valg. The Witches’ Rites…”

Selena hissed. “It was stolen?”

Salle nodded. “It was stolen just before the murder of Alya’s parents.”

Selena turned towards me with her eyes wide. “The Witches’ Rites is the culmination of all of the strongest spells and those spells deemed too dangerous to use. It was written over the span of a thousand years. If a witch got ahold of that book, they could unleash terrible devastation.”

Salle continued. “That’s not all. Frederick, a powerful Valg vampire was captured in the mortal plane by our last Hunters. Something happened when they were murdered, and he has now escaped.”

“Where…” I swallowed. “Where were my parents killed?”

“There is a building your parents used on the outskirts of Revaria. They had magic-dampening holding cells there. That’s where they were found and where they were holding Frederick.”

Viktor leaned forward. “The fact that your parents were murdered suggests that the Valg are using the relics to enhance their abilities beyond the capabilities of powerful and trained Hunters. You are both strong in your abilities, but you can’t let your guard down. Even after the anointing, you will likely be outmatched. You will need to build a team and come up with a plan to eliminate the Valg. You have one day tomorrow to train together on your own while Salle and I prepare for the anointing. When the ceremony is completed, you will be granted access to the Hunter vaults beneath this home. Only Hunters can enter, and we suspect much of the information your parents gathered about the Valg will be stored there. After you both have time to review what is there, you will meet with the elder council and your heads of staff. From that point on, you are leading the effort.”

Selena and I looked at each other. The reality of our task sunk in.

Selena laced our fingers together under the table. “I can think of a few things we can do. We can go to the building and I can cast a spell to view events from the past. I think we should do that tomorrow when we are training together.”

I squeezed her hand not wanting to ever let it go. I felt her warmth and it offered me a feeling of comfort and security.

***

I woke with my body still being held by Selena. I snuggled back into her, her arms instinctively tightening to keep me safe. Spinning in her arms to face her, I saw that she was already awake and staring at me.

“You’ve been quiet and clingy since last night, Alya. What’s wrong?”

“I’m worried. I just got everything I ever wanted and more, then I was confronted with the prospect my life might be cut short. My parents were murdered by the Valg, people that have grown their powers to such an extent my parents were unable to defeat them. With all their experience and knowledge of their own strengths, how will I, how will we survive? I don’t mean to be clingy, but I find your closeness and touch gives me assurance that I’m not going through this alone.”

Selena kissed me. “I don’t mind you wanting to be close to me. I find it endearing and I love to be protective of you. The truth is, Alya, you and I are not your parents. They were great Hunters, but you are going to be so much more. Your hybrid nature gives you abilities neither of your parents had alone or combined. With me at your side, we will be a force to be reckoned with. You lack confidence in yourself and your strengths. That’s to be expected, especially since you never grew up with access to your magic. We need to keep training and spend every chance we have to grow our skills together.”

Selena kissed me again and I buried my head in the nook of her shoulder.

“Don’t worry yourself, Alya. If anything, I am worried that one day when you realize just how powerful you are that you no longer need me. Having you close to me gives me unspeakable joy.”

“Let’s assume you are right and one day I will be fully confident in my abilities. That won’t change who I am inside. I will always need your touch and I have no desire to be away from you even for a moment.”

“Salle said we have the day to ourselves as they prepare for the Hunter initiation tomorrow. That gives us time to train together and to visit the building where the Valg member was being held.”

“Where my parents were murdered.”

“I wasn’t avoiding saying that. I know it won’t be easy for you when I cast my spell to seek visions of the past.”

“I’ll be able to see it?”

“We both will.”

I closed my eyes tightly. “I feel so inadequate. They were great and honored Hunters. Seeing how they died will give us insight as to who did it and how, but I can’t imagine it will make me any more prepared to meet the Valg.”

“The spell takes a lot of magic to perform. Having you there will help us gather as much information as possible.”

“All right. Maybe having that knowledge will help keep us alive longer.”

“Let’s get this day started. I want to train with you first.”

***

We chose the large outdoor training grounds and looked down on the array of weapons on the training table. Selene slipped her arm around my waist and pulled me closer to her.

“I’m going to suggest something you may not like, Alya.”

My gaze paused over each lethal weapon. “You want to use real weapons.”

Selene nodded and spun me around to face her. “You can heal either of us if we get injured, but you need to learn to fight with real weapons and from here on out we should always carry them. When you train with weapons that can’t do lethal harm to your opponent, you lose your focus and lack precision. Control of your weapon is both a physical and mental game you must be able to win every time you fight. The objective of each fight is to preserve yourself first. That is best done by not holding back. Ending a fight quickly will leave you with more magic and physical energy.”

“Can we at least do some hand to hand first?”

Selene smiled. “Pinning your opponent to the ground wins and we will do best of three rounds. We will then move to daggers, swords, then a free for all including magic. I invited Dominic to bring a team with him that we will fight together later this morning.”

I took a deep breath. “Okay.”

We walked out onto the field and three seconds later I was pinned to the ground with Selene on top of me. She took full advantage of my position and kissed me.

“That was too easy, Alya.”

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

She pulled me up and dusted off my backside with a light swat. “This is training, my love. We need to learn what we are capable of. Don’t hold back.”

“Just remember, you asked for it.”

She reached around to swat my backside again, but I smirked, grabbed her wrist, and in a flash, we were fully embroiled in a battle for the ages. I quickly realized I was stronger and faster than Selene, but she made up for it in experience. Ten minutes later, I had her pinned and I took advantage of her heaving bosom and kissed my way down her neck and chest before pulling her to her feet.

“That was much better, Alya. This time, I want you to extend your bond to me. Use it to feel me, to anticipate my moves. This won’t work for anyone else because I am your true mate and we share a special bond, but you need to learn it so we can fight better side by side.”

I nodded and pushed her a thought. “I’m ready for round three, sexy.”

“Good.”

The mental link was strong and it was almost as if I could sense her moves and what she was targeting before she attacked. Of course, she could also read mine, so we fought back and forth for another fifteen minutes before she sent me a mental image of her disrobing. I gasped as a wave of desire poured through me and the next thing, I knew I was on my back with her on top of me.

Selene giggled.

“Not fair, but I don’t mind losing to you that way.”

“It’s nice to know I have that effect on you.”

I made a portal right beneath us and we landed on our bed together. I rolled her over and kissed her. “You do, and we need a break before you try to kill me with daggers anyways.”

***

The morning proceeded quickly, and Selene had been right. Fighting with real weapons added a great deal of anxiety to my fighting. I could sense Selene’s hesitancy to strike at me and her fear of hurting me through our bond and that only increased my own caution. Still, we got through the training with only minor injuries that I was easily able to heal and the experience taught me a lot more than my training in the simulator or with Viktor and Dominic.

“With magic now, Alya.”

I sighed. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

“Don’t worry about me, just don’t use full force on your magic, or strength as a dragon.”

“But I could incinerate you if I’m not careful.”

“I trust your control and I have a few tricks up my sleeve.”

I nodded still unsure if this was wise. “What are the objectives?”

“Twofold. We each have a straw dummy to protect and we have to make the other yield.”

“I’m pretty sure I already won that this morning when you yielded to my advances in bed.”

Selene kissed me and held me close. “I certainly did. I’ll give you a moment to think strategy as I set up the straw dummies.”

I watched Selene place a straw dummy at either end of the training field. That one was easy. A burst of Fae elemental fire could be performed from anywhere. Selene’s magic was powerful, and I had watched how she confused Lorrena and Rhain. I surmised if they were illusions, then magic and physical attacks would not work against them. If the illusions were not affected by the elements, then it should be easy to discover which one was the real Selena. I smiled as I formulated my plans.

“Should we make a wager?”

“Feeling confident, my beautiful Alya?”

“The winner gets to choose what the other wears for dinner tonight.”

The corner of Selena’s mouth edged up. “I already know what you will wear.”

I had it all planned out as we moved into position. Selena gave the signal to start.

I encased my dummy in an ice shield then ran towards Selena while casting fire at her dummy. It was a perfect plan until her dummy vanished and twenty others popped up around the field. Selena laughed, tossed a dagger at me which I avoided by diving to the side. By the time I rolled to my feet, she was gone.

A glance back at my dummy and Selena was next to it casting a fire spell to melt the ice. I strengthened the ice shield and send a strong wind across the field. One dummy fell over while the others didn’t. I blasted the fallen dummy with fire and smirked, but as I turned to face Selena and my dummy, her spell hit the ice shield with white-hot fire and the ice started cracking and melting quickly.

I portaled inside my shield, grabbed the dummy and pushed it through another portal sending it further away on the field. I shifted into my tiger form and waited to pounce on Selena when my ice shield finally gave way.

“Nice try, sweetheart.”

The ground beneath me turned to quicksand and I was being pulled down quickly as my ice shield collapsed. I shifted into a hawk and launched myself upward, right into a net that Selena had tossed above me. I struggled for a moment before shifting into my dragon form and ripping the net to shreds.

I took immediately to the skies and spotted Selena slicing through my dummy at the far end of the field. She had been one step ahead of me the entire fight. No doubt she had some protection spell keeping her safe from the elements, but she wouldn’t step into a fire on purpose as that would dwindle her magic. I blasted fire to her right and if a dragon could smile, I was because Selena dove away from the fire right into a portal I had just created.

She popped out into the center of the field looking confused. I shifted into my normal shape, extended my Fae wings, and created a portal in the air. I flew quickly into it and appeared right behind Selena just as she turned with her sword drawn. I stopped a hairbreadth away from being skewered.

“I yield.” I said sadly.

Selena put her sword away then ran her fingers lightly over my wings sending a pulse of pleasure through me.

“You were amazing, Alya.”

“Not amazing enough. You had me beat at every turn.”

“You give yourself too little credit. My fighting experience helped me to think ahead to what you might do next, but you caught me off guard multiple times. How you used the wind to discover my dummy so quickly was brilliant and your ice shield was impressive. It took me time to get through it.”

“But you were still ahead of me, even knowing I would appear behind you.”

“It’s what I would have done, my love. Understanding who and what you are fighting is imperative to choosing the right strategy. Even at the end, you gave up too easily. You could have blasted me back, heated my sword, froze my arm, hardened your skin, lashed out and grabbed me with vines.”

“I didn’t want to hurt you. I can’t hurt you. I won’t hurt you. I would give my life for yours every time.”

“I know, sweetheart. I feel the same about you.”

“You won the wager.”

Selena smiled wide. “I can’t wait for dinner.”

Dominic’s voice rang across the training field. “I hope you two are ready.”

I grabbed Selena’s hand as we turned to face Dominic. Behind him was Llorva, Lorrena, Arwen, Devin, Seth, and Viktor.

“You certain you brought enough, Dominic?” Selena was grinning.

“I found a few guests that came for the Hunter initiation tomorrow. Feel free to yield now if you like.”

“Not a chance.” Selena turned to Viktor. “Aren’t you supposed to be working on the event for tomorrow, Father?”

“It’s insufferable to sit indoors all day.”

I glanced at Lorrena who almost wilted under my gaze. She was broken. “I’m glad you came, Lorrena.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world, and I have dinner plans with Viktor as my first two hours of penance.”

Viktor groaned.

I faced Llorva. She curtseyed to me but looked me in the eyes.

“Princess Alya. I’m honored to be here.”

“You are going to fight with Dominic?”

Llorva shrugged. “I’m still loyal to you if that counts for anything.”

I giggled.

Arwen licked her lips. “Looks like our twosome became a threesome.”

“We were never a twosome, Arwen.”

Selena’s eyes narrowed. “And I don’t share.”

“A real shame. You two are simply delicious.”

Devin and Seth nodded their heads to us.

Dominic handed out green discs that attached to everyone’s chests. “This combat event will be much like the tournament we had the other day except that these discs will be the judge if you are taken out. Any magic or physical attack that would incapacitate you for more than ten seconds will turn the disc red and you will be out of the fight. I will remind everyone that this is not to injure or hurt anyone, so use restraint in how much force you apply. We will give you a few minutes to confer with each other on your strategy.”

Selena pulled me well back from the others and spoke to my mind.

“I don’t want them to overhear anything. You and Viktor are the only ones that can fly. Use that to your advantage. I’ll handle things from the ground. Imagine the field as a chess board. We want to always be fairly close to each other. We both work to force their attacks to a narrow range in front of us. If they surround us, we will be in trouble.”

“I’ll start as a dragon and use fire to help control their movements.”

“Watch out for Viktor. He will likely attempt to get at you by air. We have this. Pay attention to what I am doing and lend support where you can.”

Dominic shouted over to us. “Ready?”

We nodded and I squeezed Selena’s hand.

“Let the fight begin!”

I transformed into a dragon and leapt into the air. I breathed two lines of fire effectively blocking Dominic’s team from spreading out and corralling them. Several fireballs were cast at me and I shifted back to my Fae shape with wings and darted to the side easily avoiding them. I kept myself above, slightly behind, and left of Selena to keep my eyes on everyone.

“See what you can do to slow their advance, sweetheart.”

I used my magic to spread ice over the battlefield causing many of Dominic’s team to fall. Sure enough, Viktor maintained his footing then launched himself into the air with his vampire wings and headed straight for me as Llorva began working to counter my ice magic. Seth and Dominic shifted into wolf forms and used their claws to race ahead over the ice towards Selena.

Viktor was almost upon me when I wrapped him in a sphere of ice. The weight of the ice pulled him down, crashing to the ground, shattering the ice sphere at Selena’s feet. Viktor was dazed just enough for Selena to hit his target with her dagger.

“Great work, my love!”

Viktor looked at his target, growled, and stepped off the field. Meanwhile Seth and Dominic were closing fast. I created a dense fog with a rock wall hidden inside it. Dominic skidded to a stop, but Seth plunged headlong into the fog and crashed into the wall taking himself out of the fight.

I was smiling at my success when a dagger clipped my Fae wings. I began a freefall and only managed to save myself at the last second by creating a portal that popped me out right next to Selena. My speed from my fall however propelled me forward and I rolled several times before coming to a stop at Lorrena’s feet.

Lorrena smiled as she lunged with her sword towards my target. “Miss me, gorgeous?”

I held up my hands and created a blast of wind that tumbled her backwards. I shifted into my tiger form and leapt towards her only to be broadsided by Dominic in midair.

“That’s great, sweetheart. Keep them busy while I take out Arwen and Llorva.”

Thanks to my cat-like agility in the air, I rolled, pushed off Dominic with my legs, and landed in a crouch. Dominic crashed in a heap twenty feet away. My enhanced eyesight caught Arwen’s arm as she spoke words and tossed something to the ground. I could feel the magic draw towards her and knew we only had seconds to brace ourselves.

“Get down, Selena!”

Lorrena was moving towards me again as I dug my claws into the earth. That’s when Arwen’s magic blast exploded outward from her. The ground shook and rocked as a wave of strong wind rippled outward like the concussive wave of a bomb. Lorrena fell and rolled past me from the blast as did Dominic. Llorva was tossed to the side and her target indicator turned red. Selena struggled to hold her place but as the wave of magic destruction passed, she tossed a small vial on the ground in front of her and vanished in a puff of smoke only to appear behind Arwen ready to tackle her. Seconds later, Arwen was taken out of the fight by Selena’s quick and precise fighting skills.

I spun and jumped towards Lorrena who was just rolling over onto her back. My massive paws landed all around her as she struggled to position her sword. I shifted one paw pinning her sword arm and lowered my jaws towards her neck.

“I yield!” She shouted.

Lorrena’s target turned red.

“Watch our, Alya!”

I turned my head to see Dominic ready to plunge his sword into my side. I struggled to tap into my Fae magic and just called it in time to harden my skin with earth magic. His sword hit me and bounced off much to his surprise.

I shifted back my normal self and drew my sword as Selena ran to my side. With only one target to worry about, it was easy to focus. Selena and I backed Dominic around the field. I could have used my Fae magic to hinder him, but I waited for Selena’s move. She struck for his left side. Dominic blocked leaving his right side vulnerable to me. This was exactly the mental connection Selena had spoken about and knowing of her attack in advance, I was ready and struck to take out Dominic’s target.

Dominic tipped his head towards us. “I’m impressed and now believe without any doubt that you two are the chosen Hunters. Alya, you have come a long way from when I first met you and you are only just learning how best to use your abilities.

Viktor grunted. “It was a good fight. Just remember Alya that your magic is not unlimited. The amount you used to hinder us likely could put you at risk in a longer fight.”

Llorva curtseyed to me then glared at Arwen. “A little warning next time would have been appreciated. You could have taken us all out.”

Arwen shrugged. “You’re rather cute when you get feisty. Care to join me for dinner and a little fun afterwards tonight?”

Llorva’s eyes went wide. “No, thank you.” She blurted out nervously.

Lorrena placed her sword on the ground at our feet and knelt before us. “I said it before, and I say it again now. I am so very sorry for my actions against Selena. I pledge myself to the service of you both if you ever have need.”

Selena lifted her chin with her fingers so she could look us in the eyes. “I have forgiven you. There is no need to further apologize.”

I pulled her up and hugged her. Lorrena clung to me tightly before letting go and stepping back.

Viktor dusted off his shoulder. “Tomorrow is the Hunter anointing ceremony and I still need to prepare for that and…” He glanced at Lorrena. “… for dinner tonight. What are your plans for the rest of the day Alya and Selena?”

“We will head to holding cell and building to see if we can discover any clues about the how my parents were murdered.”

Selena slipped her hand into mine. “Then I get to take Alya to dinner and she must wear whatever I give her since I won our bet earlier.”

She grinned and I blushed.

“Good idea, Selena. Get her all warmed up for when I join you both.”

A dark cloud formed over Arwen’s head and cold rain started falling on her. She cursed and I looked away innocently.

***

I swallowed and held my breath as Selena unlocked the door to the building my parents were murdered. I was expecting complete disarray and blood everywhere but as the door opened and we looked inside, there were signs of struggle but no blood and very little evidence anything had taken place.

Selena took my hand and pulled me inside. To our right was a holding cell with both thick steel bars as well as a shimmering magic field surrounding it. The door was bent and ajar. There was a desk in the main area and several chairs, one that was shattered against a wall. The desk was at an odd angle. That was it. Nothing more.

I moved towards the desk and Selena held me back.

“The less we touch the better. Our movements disturb the magical residue. Imagine a rock thrown into a pond. The ripples expand outward. As magical beings, we effect the magical currents in a similar way. My magic will be able to roll back the ripples through time giving us a glimpse into the past. The more time that passes and more activity in an area fragments what we can see.”

“I understand. Sort of. Where do you want me?”

“Stand over by the doorway in the corner. I’ll take the opposite corner of the room.”

We moved into position and Selena began a lengthy incantation. I could feel the magic building and she wove her spell. After several minutes, she looked over at me and locked eyes on mine before speaking her final words.

I felt a wave of nausea as the magic released. The room took on a greenish hue as if I were looking at it through an old CCTV green screen monitor. Four people entered the building backwards carrying two desiccated bodies. I put a hand to my mouth as I barely recognized the bodies as my parents. The motions of the people began to move faster, all in reverse until the motion was all a blur. Further and further backwards through time we went until Selena spoke a single word. The green room paused and started playing events forward.

To my right, a man paced inside the cell. His features were slightly unclear due to the green hue around everything and the shimmering magic of the holding cell, but I could see he was a vampire. The door opened next to me and my parents stepped inside. My mother was incredibly graceful in her movements. My father tall, handsome, and strong.

The vampire glared at them both and lifted his chin. His eyes were defiant.

“There is still time, Hunters. Join us. Preserve your positions in the hierarchy of the new order.” The voice sounded a little muffled with a slight static hissing noise that came and went like an AM radio station at night.

My father looked at the man through the bars as he absentmindedly closed the door behind him. “You are in no position to bargain, Frederick. We have given you until today to decide your fate. Disclose information on the Valg or be expunged from the worlds, purging your soul for all eternity.”

“We already have the Witches’ Rites and the Vampire Tome. We are more powerful than ever before. It is you who are in no position to bargain with me. Give up while you still have a chance.”

Mother stepped up next to Father and I could see them touch their hands. It was fleeting but spoke volumes to me of their love for each other. “You leave us with no choice. Tomorrow morning, we will take you to be destroyed.”

Frederick simply smiled as my parents turned away from him. That was when four flashes of light appeared in the room. I could feel Mother’s magic as she created a shield around them both as my parents pulled their swords and readied themselves. The flashes of light morphed into human-like shapes then would vanish in a blur.

One creature fizzled out of existence then appeared for a split second inside of Mother’s shield. Father struck, but his sword passed through the being like it was air. The next second the being was solid again and a glowing blade sliced Mother’s arm. Wisps of light were pulled from Mother into the blade. She staggered and the shield around them collapsed. Her sword swung towards her attacker, to only hit air again.

With Mother’s shield down, the other beings darted back and forth. They would be solid one second, ethereal the next. They swirled around my parents like a school or piranha. Dashing in, becoming solid for a split second, slashing them, then whisking away.

I held my hand over my mouth in a silent scream as I watched my parents get sliced to pieces. When they finally collapsed to the ground, they appeared as lifeless dried husks. One of the beings solidified and looked down on them. He spat. Frederick bowed.

“Almathus. I see that the Witches’ Rites has proven valuable to you. The Hunters were no match for your enhanced abilities.”

The man, Almathus, thrust his blade into the lock mechanism. It flashed weakening the magic dampening field. He then reached over and with incredible strength, pulled the cell door until it bent and freed itself from the lock. Frederick stepped out of the cell.

“Apply the new spells to me. I need to return to Earth and exact my revenge.”

Almathus was stunningly quick and violent in his response. He grabbed Frederick by his neck and lifted him off the ground. “We are on the verge of ruling over two worlds and your petty squabbles are meaningless. We stick to the plan. We will gather the remaining artifacts, then we will consolidate and consume the magic making us gods.”

He tossed Frederick with enough force to shatter a chair and push the desk to the side. “Get him out of here, Violetta.”

A woman solidified. She was Fae. She made a portal, grabbed Frederick by his ankle, and pulled him through.

Almathus glared down at my parents, then used his blade to slice deep into their necks. I shouted at the desecration as tears ran down my face. Almathus turned suddenly and I swear he was staring straight at me. He offered a wicked smile. Then the three remaining Valg vanished in a flash of light.

Selena gasped and slumped as the green images faded.

“Selena!” I ran to her side and supported her.

“I’m all right. I used more of my magic than I realized. Can you take me home so I can rest a bit?”

“Of course, love.”

***

Selena slept some and was much better after a short nap. I was now dressed, if you could call it that, in barely anything as I sat across the table from her for dinner. We took dinner inside our bedroom.

“You look amazing, Alya, and I am having a hard time even contemplating dinner.”

I was still somber about what I had seen. “I’m not very hungry.”

Selena stood and pulled me over to the bed. “I’m sorry you had to see that.”

“How can we even fight against that? Where did the blood go?”

“It appeared whatever magic they were using pulled the life force and magic from your parents with each cut. They almost flew, sort of like a portal, but without one. I noticed they had to become solid to strike your parents. That’s the moment they are vulnerable. Your parents were skilled and experienced fighters. This ability the Valg are demonstrating is very new and clearly took your parents off guard. At any sign of the Valg, you need to immediately harden both our skins with your earth magic. I can work up some ideas on ways to repel them and don’t forget your dragon form is almost impervious to physical weapons.”

I nodded, not able to gather confidence I would be ready for such an encounter. “I swear when I cried out when Almathus cut their throats, he turned to look at me. How is that possible?”

“The spell I used creates massive ripples. It rolls back the magical currents allowing us to see but in doing so, it can create portal-like windows. Time is not entirely linear like we might think. It’s possible he might have seen and heard you even though technically you were not there.”

“Could we use the spell to alter the past?”

Selena shook her head. “I have seen no spell capable of doing that.”

I leaned into her and she put her arms around me.

***

The next day was a whirlwind of activities. As soon as we woke, Salle came to our rooms and brought us two new outfits to wear. They were official Hunter clothes for the ceremony. After changing into them, we ate a quick breakfast before meeting with Viktor and Salle to discuss the timeline of events. At precisely the moment the sun was at its zenith, we would be blessed by all the elders, activating the Hunter magic within us, and giving us more skills and strength. When the ceremony completed, we would then address the crowd, head back to the house to gain access to the Hunter vaults, and then meet Caleb Stanton, the head of the supernatural enforcement agency for dinner. After that, we were on our own.

We stood at the center of the stage with the entire elder community of approximately forty elders. I looked down upon the massive crowd and my eyes alighted upon each of the candidates. They had all come to the event and it warmed my heart to see the pride most of them had in their eyes. Some, like Rhain and Chandra glowered.

“It’s time.” Viktor announced with a loud voice.

The elders that had awakened me were the first to lay their hands upon us, then one by one the remaining elders followed suit. The amount of magic in the air nearly took my breath away as they began chanting. Light infused us and surrounded us. Selena’s and my feet floated up off the stage as the magic built and swirled. I could feel myself becoming more powerful than ever before. New skills and abilities were given.

As soon as it ended and the elders stepped away, Viktor stepped up to the front of the stage.

“People of the immortal realm. I give you Alya Dayvale and Selena Drach, our newest Hunters.”

Booming laughter sounded behind us. Almathus hovered in the air and shouted out for all to hear. “Thank you for providing another pair of Hunters to fill the magic of the Valg. We appreciate your thoughtfulness.”

I immediately used my earth magic on Selena and me to toughen our skin.

“This is a fight for your life, Ayla! No holding back!”

Selena cast a spell and vanished leaving multiple copies of herself around the stage as I shifted into my dragon form. Half a dozen Valg started their attack and as soon as I was airborne I felt their hits against my scaled body. They were causing no damage to me. I roared and breathed fire in a circle all around me. Their ethereal forms were not affected by it.

“They aren’t hurting me but I can’t hurt them either, Selena.”

“Your earth magic is shielding me from their blades as well but they are too fast. Timing must be perfect, Alya.”

“I have an idea. Stay back from me as I land on the stage.”

I dropped to the stage and transformed into my Fae form. I was being hit on all sides as I grew sticky vines all around me then prepared myself. One of the Valg attacked and as they became solid, my vines held them fast, just long enough for me to call forth a burst of lightning. There was a flash of light, with a simultaneous explosion of thunder. The vines burned away and the Valg attacker screamed as he was thrown from me. Selena leapt over to the smoldering enemy and decapitated him in a single stroke of her sword.

Almathus solidified momentarily on the stage and screamed angrily. The Valg turned their attention away from Selena and me and onto the elders. I looked over at Almathus and portaled behind him with my sword drawn. As soon as I swung my blade he became ethereal and my blade merely scraped his side before passing through the air.

Around me elders were dying as the Valg began slaughtering them. It was chaos. I started to run into the fray when Almathus appeared before me in a partially ethereal form. His side was bleeding.

“You can’t stop us.”

“Watch me!” I growled and lunged for him passing right through.

He laughed as I spun to face him again.

I sent fireballs, water jets, stones, and burning air at him to no avail.

“You can’t hurt me, Alya. Join us before we destroy everything you are trying to protect. You can’t continue shielding them. Your magic will run out then you will be destroyed. Yield to me.”

Screams continued behind me. In this state, Almathus was invulnerable to magic. It was as if he was not entirely there.

I shifted into a dragon and blew white hot fire at him. He waved his hands and laughed until I created a portal on top of him. The portal allowed my fire to reach whatever in between state has was in and he screamed as his skin began to peel and blister before vanishing altogether.

“Fae! Create portals over the Valg enemies and attack them with anything you have!”

I spotted one near Selena and created the portal. In their ethereal state, the portal did nothing to them, but when Selena slashed her sword through the shimmering portal and Valg, the Valg attacker solidified around the sword and collapsed onto the stage in a bloody mess.

Seconds later, the Valg vanished in retreat.

Salle shouted. “No time to rest! We need healers!”

I glanced at Selena. She appeared fine so I rushed through the crowd and healed as many elders as I could. In all, three elders lost their lives and many more were badly injured. Viktor made some quick announcements and the arena slowly cleared out.

Selena slipped her hand into mine as I stood. “We fought well today, Alya.”

I looked over the carnage. “Not well enough.”

“You forget that your parents, as experienced as they were, could not defend themselves against the Valg. We face a new and dangerous threat the likes the worlds have never seen before. We killed two, and likely their leader.”

“We would be dead right now if we had not seen my parents’ murder. As painful as it was to witness, you were right. I think we need to build ourselves a group to hunt the Valg down and kill them off.”

“I can assist you with that.”

Selena and I turned to see a tall, handsome man stepping forward.

“Caleb Stanton, head of the supernatural enforcement agency.” He held out his hand and I shook it.

“Nice to meet you, Caleb. I’m Alya, and my mate and partner is…”

“Selena Drach. We know all about you although we will need updates post your Hunter anointing. We don’t however have any information on you, Alya, and as our newest Hunter we should have known about you. You’re a Fae Shifter hybrid? Have you deliberately withheld information from the agency?”

“Yes. What?”

“It is required that all supernaturals be registered with my bureau. We need more specifics about your abilities and strengths. I saw you shift into a dragon form. That is very rare. What other abilities do you have?”

Selena tapped her foot and crossed her arms over her chest. “Now is hardly the time to be collecting data. You said you could help us build a team?”

Caleb frowned. “It is my responsibility to maintain an accurate database of all supernaturals in the community and Alya is unknown. How could it be that she was not registered when her parents, the prior Hunters were the law of the land? It’s unfathomable.”

“What’s unfathomable is that you just witnessed what our community is up against and you are focused on your precious database. Do you not realize that you and your agency now reports to Alya and me?”

“I am aware…”

“Good. Then as your boss I am giving you a new top priority. You will find trusted members of the supernatural community, strong ones, that we can work with to seek and destroy the Valg.”

“Yes, Hunter Selena. I will… I have several in mind already. Mia Wellington is a powerful Shifter and her mate, Darius Stanton, is my brother and an Alpha Shifter. We worked together with our last Hunters to capture Frederick of the Valg back on the mortal plane.”

I was still shaking from the fight and out of sorts, but I finally found my voice again. “Caleb Stanton, it is good to meet you. Obviously, the Valg are becoming more bold with this latest public attack. They are drawing magical power to themselves and pose a significant threat. We all need to work together. We were going to meet you for dinner, but under the circumstances, I think it is best that we gather our team. I would like any members of the community you can trust to be here tomorrow morning. Bring them to our home. Is that something you can help with?”

“Yes, Hunter Alya.”

“Then we will see you tomorrow morning.”

Caleb tipped his head and walked away as Viktor and Salle approached us.

Viktor hugged Selena, then me. “This is not the way the Hunter ceremony was supposed to go, nevertheless, you both fought admirably against a formidable foe. I am grateful you both survived. Salle and I will handle the cleanup here and preparations for the lost elders. I overheard you speaking with Caleb about building a team. I suggest we invite all the Hunter candidates to join that team as they are already known to you both.”

“Let’s put Lorrena and Jasmin on making those arrangements. We will want them at the house tomorrow morning.”

Salle grabbed my arms and stared into my eyes. “You have come a long way since we first met you, Alya. You are only just coming into your own. Trust your heart. The home will now recognize you both as Hunters and when you head down towards the training room another door should be available to you now. That will be the Hunter vaults. You should investigate that to see what your parents left for you.”

“We will go there now.”

I made a portal for Selena and me and stepped from the arena to our bedroom. Within seconds, Selena’s lips were on mine.

“I was so worried I was going to lose you, Alya.”

I nodded mutely as the tears fell from my eyes and I buried myself in her arms. My bravado was gone. The confidence that came with the Hunter anointing and added strength, speed, and magic, evaporated. I was simply a young girl needing to be protected in a world of threats and dangers.

***

Morning came with a renewed sense of strength and resolve. Selena and I had taken our time to carefully go through the Hunter vaults beneath our home. I had imagined a room with photos, notes, and pins and strings showing linkages of the Valg all over the walls. What we discovered was something far more impressive. A magical holographic map of people, objects, rites, spells, and artifacts was projected from a crystal sphere in the center of the room. We could stand inside it, touch a virtual object with our finger to have volumes of information relayed directly to our minds. It was the collected works of decades of research into the Valg. When we left the vaults late that evening, our heads were spinning with new understanding and revelations, but also a realization of the extent of what we were up against.

We were both changed into full battle clothing of a Hunter when Salle knocked on the door to our bedroom.

“Everyone is gathered if you are both ready.”

“Come in, Salle.”

My eyes swept over Salle and I recalled the first time we met. It wasn’t that long ago, but it felt like a lifetime. Memories of piles of documents and my boss’ pock-marked nose appearing over my cubicle wall made me shudder. I had been blissfully ignorant and unaware of my true existence and place in the world.

“I see something new in your eyes this morning. Purpose. Those are the eyes of a Hunter; the eyes of someone that is fully awakened. I take it you found what you needed in the Hunter vaults?”

I nodded as Selena answered for us. “The vaults hold a wealth of knowledge about the Valg and how extensive the threat is.”

We followed Salle and I paused in the hallway to stare up at the painting of my parents. My fingers involuntarily reached to trace my mother’s face as grim determination built within me.

We continued through the house to the outside courtyard. I scanned the people and found five new faces I had not met before. Before I could say anything, Caleb Stanton stepped forward.

“Alya Dayvale and Selena Drach, I would like to introduce you to some members of the supernatural community living on the mortal plane. They have volunteered to assist you.”

Caleb waved the group forward and a stunning, blonde, wide-eyed woman reached to hug me.

“Holy cow do you two radiate power and strength. I’m not used to my Shifter magic reacting to other Shifters. It’s my first time in Revaria. First time in the immortal plane. Why do I feel a need to drop to my knees. Oh. Sorry. I’m Mia Wellington. I’m very sorry to hear about your parents. They were very special people and even though I did not know them well, I loved them dearly.”

I squeezed her back. “Very nice to meet you, Mia. I only came to the immortal plane for the first time about a week ago myself. I think I understand how you feel.”

“I’ve been told magic presents itself a little differently on the immortal plane. Everything is so vivid here and I’m seeing two more animals in my mind. Is that normal?”

“For powerful Shifters like yourself that could happen here. Hopefully we will find time and we can test those other forms together.”

“I’m forgetting my manners. This is Darius, my mate.”

Selene greeted Mia as Darius shook my hand.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you both. We were honored to work with your parents to capture Frederick of the Valg. For the crimes he committed against our pack, Mia and I offer our pack to you for whatever you need in bringing the Valg to justice.”

“We thank you for coming an offering your support.”

Mia then introduced her mother, Catherine, and Corine a Shifter scout before starting to introduce a female vampire but was interrupted.

“I’ll give my own introduction, Mia.” The blood-red haired vampire stepped forward. “I’m Ivanna, Queen of the Vampires.”

Viktor coughed and Ivanna swallowed.

“Vampire queen of the pacific northwest on the mortal plane. You are very intoxicating, Alya. A Fae Shifter hybrid?”

I felt the push of her mind into mine and I shoved back strongly. “Stay out of our heads. We won’t put up with your mind games.”

Ivanna smiled. “I like you already.” Her smiled turned to a frown as she looked at Selena. “And you? A witch vampire hybrid? What are the worlds coming to?”

Viktor took a single step towards Ivanna then paused. “You would be wise to find you place quickly, Ivanna. Selena is my daughter and she was formidable prior to becoming a Hunter.”

Ivanna’s eyes widened. “A Drach?”

I had enough of this woman. “We are glad you have come to aid us against the Valg, Ivanna, but I am happy to send you home if I hear even a whisper of abuse from you. You were the one that lost the Vampire Tome, were you not?”

“My clan stands with you, Hunters. I would like to regain control of that which was taken from me.”

Selena squeezed my hand and looked over Ivanna carefully. “We welcome your assistance.” Selena faced the group which included all of the Hunter candidates, including Rhain and Chandra. “Yesterday, the Valg publicly attacked us at the Hunter initiation ceremony. No doubt this was to place fear into the citizens but they were not successful in claiming our lives. We know their plan and we also know that they have used the Witches’ Rites and The Vampire Tome to strengthen themselves to the point of being able to fly and operate between planes. Their goal is to capture our magic and essence allowing them to gain strength and power. Any cut to someone’s body will bleed our life and power into their weapons. We discovered that Fae portals can be used to attack them in their ethereal forms. Over the next weeks, Mia and I will train with you and teach you all we know about the Valg and their plans.”

Mia shivered slightly and placed a hand near her chest. “I’m in. Frederick of the Valg nearly took my life and took the lives of three of our Shifters. I, for one, want to see justice served.”

“Frederick was rescued by the Valg when my parents were killed, Mia. You will have your chance.”

***

I overlooked the garden from our bedroom balcony, seeing but not seeing. My mind was preoccupied with the past and future. I felt my full and heavy hair down my back and the gentle tug from the weight of my breasts. Those sensations were what took my mind to the past, remembering all that I once was. I didn’t miss the old me. I was naïve and was a slave to my boring job and the people I worked for.

My sword brushed my thigh as I shifted my weight. That brought my mind to the future. The Valg was a huge threat to both worlds. We had been lucky and no doubt the Valg were preparing a way to counter the defenses we had used.

Selena’s warm hands wrapped around my slight waist and she pressed herself against me, kissing my neck.

“What are you thinking about, my love?”

I spun to face her and draped my arms around her neck so I could stare into her eyes. “I was thinking about the past and the future, but your presence and touch always brings me back to the present.”

“That’s good to hear because I can’t look at you and not want to touch you and to feel your lips on mine. The past is gone. The future is bleak at the moment. I need to get as much of you as I can in the present.”

I kissed her long and tenderly. “I’m happy to oblige.”

***

***

End of Book Two of the Valg

***

***

To my readers,

I had this story about 60% finished when I published “Turned” and thought it might be only a week or two before I released it. These are my fantasy worlds where I can live and be the person I know lives inside me. Unfortunately, real life intrudes all too regularly. I swear that where I work if there is not a natural crisis or emergency, then they will create one on their own. I have had very little time to write lately and am now looking for new work as it appears my job and the jobs of many around me are being eliminated within the year.

I love to write about loyalty and courage, but it seems, especially in business, that rarely exists anymore. The final book in the Valg series will take a while. I might focus on something new for a bit, something that takes less time and energy than a series with so many characters to deal with.

I hope you enjoyed this story and any others that I write. I write them for my own distraction, but I also write them for you. I want my stories to give you a chance to thrive and live in a world where the impossible is possible. We all need a little of that.

Please take a moment and leave me a comment or send me a message. I love hearing from you and knowing what I do here makes a difference in your life.

Avia Conner

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is even better than part

This is even better than part one. As we read about your main characters growth and learning about her new life, we get bits and pieces of her old one that illuminates her, showing the foundation of character she is building on. Eventually she grows into the hero of the story and prepares to take her fight to the enemy. Can’t wait for the next chapter.
Sorry RL is giving you challenges to overcome. Wishing you well in resolving things. We will be here patiently (well, almost patiently) waiting for you to be ready to come back.

Great!! Grrrr8

2 of the 3 triology!!

alissa

I don’t normally

read stories with (ware) where wolves and such, but really pleased I took a chance with this tale! I thoroughly enjoyed it and now intend to go backwards and read part 1. Looking forward to part 3 whenever you are ready. What a shame earning a living has to interrupt your ability to write!
Stay safe
T

Is it just me or all of us...

... who wish that we can mate for life? I know some nice people who will shag anything that moves. Male, female and most of the colors between

Good One...

...but I didn't feel as invested in it, for lack of a better term, as I dd in the first story. It was hard for me to find the interactions with the ten candidates of sufficient interest when it was clear from the start that Alya's dream girl was going to get the nod over all of them.

That said, the world-building here remains solid, and we now know who the enemy is and what they're capable of. I guess we'll find out in the final book whether and how the good guys can take the offensive in this war.

Eric

Loved it!

Aine Sabine's picture

Really enjoyed the second story and can't wait for the next! I understand that it may be a bit. Thanks for the enjoyable stories. Now if only I can finish the ones I want to do.

Aine

Thank you Avia!

I'll be honest.. I don't usually like novels with these types of settings...but I will read anything you write. You always draw me in. And your writing about loyalty and courage always always gets me. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
Hugs
Loretta

Truly Fascinating World of Magic

BarbieLee's picture

Avia managed to create two worlds bound together by a common theme, survival. The mortal world has magical beings but they are sorely limited in their magic as Earth has lost much of the magic it used to hold. It seems magic exists in relation to those who believe in magic.
Then there is the Immortal Plane, a second world, where magic is in abundance along with those who manage to use it in their own way. Between Avia's excellent ability to interlace all the necessary components of a story and bring it to life, her fertile imagination presents to her readers a story uniquely her own.
Although this story stands alone quite well, there is an earlier story from Avia that should be read to receive the full enjoyment of her special talent of weaving stories.
Excellent writing skills Ms. Conner.
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl