Enter the Darkness

Printer-friendly version

 

Black Simple Life Book Cover.jpg

 

Enter the Darkness

 

“Stay still, Elias.”

The softly spoken words of my mother caused me to straighten up and drop the strands of hay I had been playing with. My eight-year-old sister, dressed in her billowing blue gown, nudged me. She never got into trouble and the entire community loved her. In my opinion, she was an angel that this hard, dangerous world needed more of.

A voice called out from the gate watchtower. “They’re coming!”

Mother tensed expectantly but remained firmly in place. She ran her hands down her gown smoothing the silky fabric.

I looked up at her to see her gaze intensely focused upon the gate. I turned my gaze upon the torchlit courtyard. People scurried about their duties. Squires readied to take the reins of their masters’ horses.

Torch smoke slowly meandered across the cobblestone grounds like ghostly wraiths. Looking into the predawn sky, the wispy clouds parted letting the last rays of the moon fall upon us. I shuddered and held my breath.

The gates opened just in time as two of our most experienced soldiers galloped through the opening. Thad, our second in command, reined in his horse and shouted as he leapt from his saddle. “Call for the medic! Now!”

I took a step forward as Mother’s hand firmly gripped my shoulder holding me back. I didn’t need to look at her to know what she was feeling. Her fingers squeezed tighter as the second man, Wesley, slumped forward in his saddle. He was covered in blood and by the looks of it, much of it his own. I watched in horror as he slid from his saddle and fell heavily to the ground. The clang of his sword rang like a church bell and echoed through the stronghold.

So many things were happening at once. A third soldier, Fallon, arrived driving a wagon. Two mud-splattered horses were tied to the rear. I recognized them as my father and brother’s. The gates slowly closed as Wesley began screaming. Tendrils of darkness began eating away at his skin.

Everyone fell away from him. Thad fell to his knees as he stared at his best friend writhing and turning into one of the creatures we hunted.

Fallon pulled the side of the wagon down. Mother screamed and ran forward. My sister, Harmony, began crying hysterically as other women pulled her from the grizzly sights. I saw what was left of Father in the bed of the wagon. Christoff, my brother, lay unmoving next to him. He was missing an arm, leg, and had a severe gash across his throat.

I was too shocked to cry or shout. The medic rushed into the fray and pried my mother’s hands away from Father’s face. The courtyard was in chaos. People scrambled to get my father inside one of the buildings. He was still alive. Wesley continued to scream. His pain morphed into ungodly shrieks.

As Mother moved with the small crowd taking my father away, a glint of silver caught my eye. Father’s sword rested next to my brother’s mangled body. I stepped up to the wagon and stared into Christoff’s lifeless gray eyes. I swallowed hard, fighting the bile that tried to rise in me. Another ear-piercing wail erupted from Wesley. His hand twitched in an unhuman way. His fingernails elongated into bloody claws that scraped against the cobblestones.

I wasn’t certain what came over me, but I grabbed Father’s sword and walked over to Thad. I placed my hand on his shoulder.

“He’s your best friend. Turn away.”

Thad’s leather-gloved hand gripped my wrist with such strength that I winced in pain. He looked up into my eyes and nodded solemnly before letting go.

I gripped Father’s sword firmly and moved towards Wesley with determined steps. Wesley’s screams rippled through the courtyard. I gasped when I saw him. His face was contorted and twisted, his arms spasmed and flopped about. He was becoming more animal than human. People stopped and stared as I raised the glistening silver blade of my father’s sword. The last rays of the moon stopped their glow as clouds hid them again. The air felt cold and oppressive.

Wesley’s bloodshot eyes shot open. His irises glowed with a dim amber light. He snarled exposing razor-sharp fangs as I brought the sword down across his neck. The silver blade sizzled and smoked against his flesh as his scream tore through the night.

 

*** Fourteen years later ***

 

I bolted upright in bed with sweat soaking my skin. Early morning sunlight streamed through the glass window and reflected against the hilt of my sword. The sword that once belonged to my father. I pulled in a shaky breath as a slender hand pulled me back down into the bed.

“Stay with me, Elias. Just a little bit longer. It’s cold.”

Her fingers guided my chin, so my face turned to hers. Her lustrous black hair spilled over her full breasts. Her blue eyes were filled with both concern and hardness. The hardness came from the lives we led and the enormity of the task and risks we faced daily.

“Another dream?”

I laid my head on the pillow next to Juliet. “I was twelve. My first kill. The day my brother was killed, and my father mangled. My father died the following day.”

“The dreams are becoming more frequent. The king is pushing us all too hard to be rid of the nightwalkers once and for all.”

“Thad is stepping down as leader of the hunters. He will continue to train but told me that I will take his place.”

Juliet rolled closer so her lips pressed against mine. “Maybe your dreams are a sign of your stress about committing?” Her eyes sparkled with amusement.

“Every week…”

She shushed my words by patting my cheek gently. She then turned away and rolled out of bed. She was beautiful and lean. A hunter soldier trained since she was young to kill nightwalkers.

“You know I am just joking, Elias. We risk our lives. It is inevitable one of us will not return one day. We are commanded by the king to enter harm’s way to keep the people safe. I do not need to ever be married and in our line of business, it is best to remain untethered here…” She pointed to her head. “…and here.” She pointed to her heart. “If either one is bound, we will make bad decisions.”

I nodded. Our relationship had grown over the years. At first, we sought solace in each other’s arms. That slowly changed into something more tangible even if neither one of us knew what it was. “I’ll see you at training.”

She held up a part of the bed sheet and curtseyed. “As you wish, Master Dufort.”

I chuckled. “I will get you back for that. Maybe I will force you to wear a dress.”

She laughed and turned away, slipping into her brown leather breeches. “In your dreams. I’m not going to dress up like a peacock like the rest of the ladies around here.”

“You’re such a rebel, Juliet.”

“It’s 1709, love. Times are changing.”

Juliet finished getting dressed and slipped from the room. I laid in bed a while longer waiting for the effects of the dream to dissipate. I closed my eyes to concentrate on pushing the memory from my mind before getting up and changing into my fighting gear. I moved to the window and looked down to the courtyard below.

As I stared at the heavy wooden gates, my hand went to the hilt of my sword. The well-used grip fit my hand far better than it had when I ended Wesley’s life. Later that day, as Father shared his last words, he bequeathed his sword to me and made me promise to look after my mother and sister.

I sighed, feeling the heavy burden of leading the hunters and this community. I turned away from the window and left my room. The long hallways that led to the dining room were covered in well-worn and threadbare red carpets. The stone walls were rough cut and dark, requiring torches and extra windows to provide just enough light to find your way.

When I entered the dining room, Mother and Harmony looked up.

Harmony smiled, stood, and lifted the heavy layers of her dress so she would not step on them. She stopped before me and curtseyed. “Good morning, Master Dufort.”

“Not you too, angel.”

She giggled. “We heard from Juliet that Thad is handing over the leadership to you in training today. She told me I should greet you this way this morning.”

“Did she now?”

Harmony grabbed my hand and with her buoyant energy pulled me towards the table. “Come along, brother. The master must get his breakfast.”

I pulled the chair for Harmony then bent down to kiss Mother on her cheek before sitting down.

“Your father would be so proud of you, Elias.”

Mother was still beautiful even if Father’s passing had aged her. Harmony had blossomed into a fetching young woman that caught the eyes of every man.

“I hope I can fill his shoes, yet I know I am not nearly as capable to lead as he was.”

“He was your age when he stepped into leadership of the hunters. A Dufort has always led the fight against the nightwalkers. Your blood makes you immune to their transforming bites.”

“I have been bitten several times already. Why is it the Duforts are not turned like everyone else?”

“I don’t know, but it is what makes you the best person to lead us.”

Harmony smiled as she set her cup down. “How are things going with Juliet? It seems she loves you in her own way.” She blushed. “Any possibilities I will become an aunt?”

“Hush, Harmony,” Mother said gently. “Their relationship is their business, but I would be a poor mother if I did not warn you about fornication. The church would cast us out if they knew.”

I bit into a large slice of bread. “The church has more important things to worry about then my relationship with Juliet, but your message is received.”

I stood and kissed my mother then Harmony. Harmony reached back and held me to her.

“Love you, brother.”

“Love you too, angel.”

 

***

 

Thad stepped up in front of the community. I stood off to the side with the rest of the hunter soldiers. The sun was hidden behind thick clouds. Mother and Harmony were in attendance in fully corseted gowns that would rival those of the ladies in the city. Blacksmiths had stopped hammering their metal and the squires were nudging each other in a playful way, more interested the girls than the topic at hand.

Juliet slipped in next to me and nodded. Her black hair drifted with the wind. She never showed any affection for me in front of others. Thad raised his hand and the crowd settled while my heart pounded faster.

“It is time for me to pass the reins of leadership. This community of people is the last line of defense against the nightwalkers. I have fought this plague for over thirty years. Many of you were here when Magnus and Christoff Dufort were slaughtered by an ambush of specters and their minions. As long as the threat persists, so shall we.

“The hunters need new leadership, for I am getting old and can no longer lead the fight. I will remain as a trainer and support our common goals. Know that I was never the rightful master, for that privilege belongs to a Dufort. From this moment on, Elias Dufort will be master here.”

“And you will be vital in the days to come…”

The words that sounded in my head filled me with foreboding. I looked around and saw no one. Juliet stared at me and with a slight nod indicated I needed to move to stand next to Thad. The squad of men and Juliet pushed me forward. The people clapped.

I stepped up next to Thad in a daze.

Thad grasped my arms firmly. “Ever since I saw you take up your father’s sword, I knew you were destined for great things. May you lead us to victory, Master Dufort.”

Thad removed a silver forearm bracer and slipped it on my left arm signifying my new status. With the words of my enemy ringing through my head, I squared my shoulders and greeted the crowd.

 

***

 

Two weeks passed since I had become master of the hunters. Ongoing pressure from the king had forced me into recruiting more fighters. I paced back and forth as the seven new recruits watched me with looks of awe. They looked young to me even though some were older than I was.

“Settle down, recruits,” Juliet had to raise her voice to speak above the clamor. She looked lethal in her fighting leathers and more than one recruit let their eyes linger longer than I deemed respectful.

Their looks angered me, and I closed my eyes for a moment to compose myself. “The public at large is not aware of the dangers that exist all around them. They see their loved ones disappearing or we hear them speak of shadows moving in the darkness. Before I speak more of the dangers that hunters face, I will warn you now that no greater danger exists in this world. A single bite from a nightwalker can turn you into one of them.”

The recruits stirred uneasily.

Thad stepped into the room. “This is your last chance, recruits. You may leave now and live your life oblivious to the threat that is around you. If you stay, you are here for good and will live and die by the sword in defense of the world.”

Over half the men left.

I gave Thad a look that conveyed we would never get enough recruits. “Let’s start with the basics and a little history. Nightwalkers, as far as we know, did not exist until the 1400s. Legends and what has been passed down from father to son over generations, suggest a man sought fame and power from a witch. The witch, under the light of the moon, cursed the man. That man transformed into the first nightwalker.”

“Your history is lacking…”

“Who said that?” I looked around the room as everyone stared at me like I was crazy. I bit back a curse that nearly escaped my lips.

I continued. “We know little of what happened to that man and presume he is dead, but the after effect of his reign of terror continue to grow and fester like a cancer. The nightwalkers form a rough hierarchy. Ravagers are the most prevalent. They are mindless monsters, deformed by their transformations. Some look more like animals than the humans they once were. They have one thought. That is to kill and consume humans.

“Most humans are luckily so torn asunder by their attacks that they have not enough life left to be turned. If, by chance, you survive their bite, you will turn in less than six hours. The more powerful the nightwalker, the faster you turn. Ravagers are stronger than us, but they are slow and clumsy.”

“Does everyone become a ravager if they turn?”

I shook my head. “Only those that survive the bite of a ravager or a shade become ravagers. Shades are faster and stronger than ravagers and many still look perfectly human. They can speak a little and have some semblance of thought and thus are more cunning. They can hide in the shadows and come upon you quickly. Because they have more control over themselves, they can stop themselves to allow the humans they bite to turn.

“Shades are created by the bite of a specter. Specters are, again, stronger, faster, and have not only the ability to become invisible, but also momentarily become insubstantial. You can swing your sword at them, and your sword will pass through nothing but air. Specters are very difficult to kill and often look just like you or me. Only their eyes give them away.

“Darklings are the most powerful. We believe darklings were turned by the original nightwalker. There are not many of them. As with other ranks in the hierarchy, they are faster and stronger than specters. They are uncommonly beautiful and thus disarming in their eloquence, appearance, and thoughtfulness. Encounters with a darkling are extremely rare. The last known battle was fourteen years ago when several darklings, specters, shades, and ravagers attacked our team in a coordinated attack.

“Darklings can speak into your mind and control you. Their ability to control a human will last less than a minute, but often that is enough time to turn you without you even having a chance to attack.”

“If they look human, how do you know what they are?”

“In the light of the moon or a flame, their eyes glow slightly amber. That, and we have water enhanced with silver. Even a drop of this water on their skin will burn them. That’s enough for now. Thad. Let’s start their training.”

“Yes, Master Dufort.”

I left the room and stopped in the hallway. I closed my eyes and felt my heartbeat. The door next to me creaked open. Juliet entered the hallway then pulled me to the side away from prying eyes.

“What was that in there, Elias? When you asked who said that.”

I stared into her eyes and shook my head. “Nothing.” The truth was, only a darkling could speak into a mind, and they would need to be close to do so. I could have simply imagined it as no nightwalker would dare step foot in our community filled with soldiers trained to fight them. “I’m just on edge and not sleeping well. We ride out tonight. I’m going to get some rest.”

Juliet never said anything, but I felt her eyes on me as I headed to my room.

 

***

 

The rhythmic sounds of rubbing leather and jostling metal lulled me as I rode next to Juliet. We had not spoken since the hallway. We had two fully trained soldiers and two new recruits with us. We normally rode in teams of four, taking one night per week for our mission, but the new recruits needed to be exposed, and training could only provide them the basics.

We were following up on a lead from the previous night’s team. At the edge of the city, near the river, they had heard sounds of nightwalkers. When they investigated, they found a tunnel that led underneath the city. It was partially blocked by bushes to hide the entrance. With their shift ending, they left it to us to continue the search.

As we approached, the horses grew skittish, so we dismounted and tied them off. I gathered the team in front of the tunnel.

“Stay alert. If there are nightwalkers in here it will be unusual for them as most hunt singularly and not in a group. Draw your weapons and be prepared for anything.”

Using torches, we moved into the tunnel. The tunnel ran under the city for a long way, and we paused every fifty feet to listen. We saw no signs of nightwalkers. We continued until we came to a large open room with five tunnels leading in all directions. Our torch light cast flickering shadows against the stone walls. It was completely silent except for the slow dripping of water.

“I don’t like this, Elias.”

I nodded to Juliet. I could sense something, but with two new recruits we were not prepared for further investigation. I motioned with my hand to silently back our way out of the tunnel.

The others began moving and I paused. Juliet stopped and looked back at me just as a specter flashed into existence. I dropped and spun, my sword cutting clean through the air where it had stood. A second later, it materialized again, but I was ready for it. My silver dagger plunged up and under the creature’s rib cage. It thrashed and shrieked.

Howls arose from the tunnels and ravagers erupted into the room. It had been a coordinated attack. Juliet was at my side as we fought for our lives. We backed our way into the tunnel, limiting how many could come upon us at a time.

“Run!” I yelled to the other four. “You too, Juliet.”

She hissed. “I will not leave you.”

We fought hard and bodies of ravagers piled at our feet. I could hear fighting going on behind us and I cursed.

Suddenly the ravagers fell back. A handsome man appeared behind them, and they parted to let him pass.

“I recognize that sword. It killed my mate.”

“Then you will be happy to go meet your maker the same way.”

“I think not.”

My head pounded and Juliet and I dropped to our knees. I could not control my body even as another specter emerged from the shadows of the rock wall next to me. It lunged for me and dug its fangs into my shoulder just as the darkling’s control slipped.

In an instant, Juliet was back on her feet and plunged her sword into the specter. It fell away and I felt Juliet pulling me back as she tried to stem the flow of blood from my neck. A second darkling appeared and then something else. The two darklings stepped aside as a beautiful woman walked between them. None of us would survive.

I slipped my hand under Juliet’s to put pressure on my wound. I was grateful it was more on my shoulder and not my neck near my artery.

“Run, Juliet. I can slow them down,” I whispered.

“I don’t want to lose you.”

“The others need your help.”

She looked down the tunnel toward the entrance.

“Let me make this easier on you both.” The woman said calmly. “Elias will come with me peacefully and I will tell the others to let the rest of you go.”

“Bloody bitch!” Juliet screamed and jumped forward but froze and collapsed in convulsions at the woman’s feet. Juliet hissed through gritted teeth.

“She cares for you.” I watched in horror as she squatted down and ran her fingers over Juliet’s cheek. “She’s quite fetching. Perhaps I should turn her for my own pleasure.”

I threw my silver dagger, catching the woman off guard. At the last moment, she screamed, vanished, and the blade plunged into the darkling behind her. The darkling clutched futility at the blade as the silver seared and smoked. The darkling male fell to the ground in seizures.

It was enough distraction for Juliet to wrest free of the woman’s mind control. She swung her silver blade and the woman vanished, appearing behind Juliet with a blade to her throat.

“Last chance. Come with me, Elias, peacefully, or I will kill her and the rest of your men and still take you with me.”

Whatever class of nightwalker she was, she was far more powerful than a darkling.

“I’ll go with you.”

“Drop your sword and your silver water.”

“Don’t do this, Elias.”

“I’m not worth five lives, Juliet. I would die for you any day as I believe you would for me. Let Juliet go and call off your minions.”

The woman vanished in a swirl of smoke only to appear next to me, her knife at my throat. The sounds of fighting ceased from further in the tunnel. Several men from the unit ran in and stopped short.

“The nightwalkers all just left. We lost the two recruits. What’s going on here, Elias?”

“Take Juliet and leave, Mathias. That’s an order.”

Mathias looked between me and Juliet before moving to her side to reach for her arm.

She pulled away from him. “Don’t touch me!” She stared down the nightwalker woman, then me. “If they turn you, I will kill you myself!”

The woman smiled at Juliet. “I’ll take good care of him for you.”

Juliet growled and struck the woman but before her fist could land on the woman’s face, the woman vanished, and her hand appeared out of the mists clutching Juliet’s neck. The rest of the woman appeared a second later.

“Unless you wish to become a mindless deformed ravager, as you all call them, I suggest you accept Elias’ sacrifice.” With seemingly little effort, the woman tossed Juliet into the tunnel wall.

Juliet winced at the impact. “I’ll kill you.”

“And I thought we were becoming friends, Juliet. Leave before I change my mind. I get Elias either way.”

Juliet was dragged away by Mathias. Her curses echoed through the tunnel.

The woman looked me up and down. “Come along, darling.”

We began walking through the tunnels.

“Don’t think about trying to escape. I can bring you just as easily if your legs are broken.”

“Where are you taking me?”

“To meet your maker.”

“Forgive me for not believing God lives beneath the city.”

“Not that maker.”

“What are you?”

“I will let Father tell you if he so desires.”

“Who is your father?”

“Your maker and master of us all.”

***

The woman said nothing more and we walked for a long time, branching several times from the main tunnel. I spotted numerous nightwalkers, all slunk away from us when they came near. The tunnel slowly rose, and the coolness of the damp underground air began to warm. We stepped through a heavy wooden door into a hallway. Torches lit the windowless structure.

The woman’s fist grabbed the back of my shirt and pushed me forward through a pair of large, carved doors. As soon as we were through the doors, she pushed me to my knees.

“Father.”

She kept my head staring at the floor. I heard several beings moving around me.

“Step back. Let him stand.”

I looked up as soon as her hand was removed. Around me stood the woman and six others. Two more women and four large men. They were incredibly alluring, beautiful, and handsome, wearing the very finest clothing and jewelry. They slowly stepped back as a very large man stepped up close to me.

He looked me over slowly with a smirk. “I expected… more.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.”

“You remind me of my brother.”

The man radiated confidence and power. Even the woman was no match for his presence. His eyes were bright amber. Dark hair fell to his powerful shoulders.

“I gather you lead the nightwalkers that prey on innocent humans?”

Faster than I could even perceive, his fist connected with my chest. At least five ribs shattered with loud cracks. I skidded across the floor and crumpled into the stone wall. I struggled for breath as I tried to lift my head from the cold stone floor.

In the blink of an eye, I was being lifted off my feet by a powerful hand around my neck. I was tossed back to the middle of the room.

“Innocent humans? Those same humans that would hunt and kill you had you been afflicted by this curse? You are deluded.”

I coughed up blood and croaked out a reply. “What… do you want… with me?”

“I should introduce myself. I am Gavroche. You are here because I need a resolution to this curse. Your father failed. Now it is your turn.”

“My father? My turn… for what?”

“To die.”

One of the other men grabbed my ankle and dragged me through the room and back into the hallway. There was no care taken, even when I was pulled down rough stone stairs and thrown into a windowless cell with thick steel bars.

 

***

 

“We need everyone! Now!” Juliet paced back and forth.

Thad glanced at Elias’ mother and Harmony. They both sat on a couch holding each other.

“They were waiting for you, Juliet. Don’t you think they will be ready for a counterattack? How many were there?”

“Dozens. Ravagers, shades, specters, darklings, and… something stronger. A woman that had more power that any darkling.”

“I will speak with the king, Juliet. We will need more than the hunters to rout them all.”

“Speak with the king? How long will that take?”

“Days. A week maybe.”

“And Elias will be dead by then. Why did they want him? They have never done anything like this before.”

“They… they have.” Thad looked away.

“What do you mean, they have?”

“Fourteen years ago. I… was certain everything happened that day just like we had told everyone. Early this morning, just before you arrived back… a veil was lifted from my mind. Memories from that day all came back to me. The woman you described… She was there.”

Juliet crossed the room towards Thad and slid her dagger from her sheath. “What do you mean a veil was lifted?”

Thad sat down heavily into a chair. He placed his head in his hands. “This morning I heard words in my head. A man’s voice. He told me to not come after Elias. That his army was too strong and by the time I arrived it would be too late. Then he told me to remember.”

Juliet hissed. “It’s a few darklings and that woman. We can rescue Elias with a large enough force.”

Thad shook his head. “There are more. Many more. That woman… there were more like her there and there was a man. The one that spoke in my head. He…” Thad looked at Harmony. “He beat, bit, and bled Magnus. Magnus had gone missing in some tunnels. When we found him, several were biting him, trying to turn him. Christoff went crazy to save Magnus. Those creatures just stood there and let the ravagers have at him. Wesley tried to fight but was bitten by a shade. With Magnus not turning, they sent us away with our minds wiped. They’re going to kill Elias… and there is nothing we can do about it.”

 

***

 

I shivered against the cold, damp stone floor of the cell. Pain wracked my body and every time I felt my eyes closing, one of the nightwalkers came in and smashed metal against the bars to waken me. I had been there for many hours without food or water, a sure sign of what was to come.

I guessed it must have still been nearing dusk of the next day when the man that dragged me to the cell unlocked the steel door. He reached for me, and I weakly batted his hand away.

“I’ll walk this time.” My voice was raspy and just those few words made me cough up more blood.

“You are pathetic and weak.”

In that moment I would give anything to have my father’s sword back in my hand. I didn’t acknowledge the man, just weakly followed him back into the large room. I wheezed at the exertion of coming up the stairs and I held my hand over my broken ribs.

All eyes turned to me, and there were many. The largest and most powerful man, Gavroche, stood in the center of the room. Around him were the three women and three men that the man who led me to the room joined. Beyond them were close to fifty darklings. I had no idea there were so many.

“It is nearly time for you to fulfill your destiny, Elias. I have carefully planned this moment for years and believe I may have found the secret. If this does not work, there is always your sister.”

The thought of my beautiful, innocent sister being in my place sent a shudder down my spine and gave me strength. I roared and rushed the man. He stood patiently until I got close when he lashed out with his fist. My jaw shattered and I remember blood splattering across the polished marble floor before my world went dark.

I woke in extreme pain. I was strapped down on a table in the center of the room. I would have screamed, but my tongue was barely able to move. I could feel bits of bone embedded in it and my own blood slowly dripping down my throat.

I could see from only one eye and my breathing was ragged and gurgled in my throat. I was weak, so weak. One of the women from the group of seven hovered nearby. She looked hungry as she pulled something from my arm then lifted a glass container filled with blood. My blood.

“Anymore and he will die, Father.”

Gavroche came into view, stared at me, then looked up towards the ceiling. “It is almost time. Remove the shutters.”

I heard the scurrying of feet, then the ceiling began to open exposing the evening sky. The last rays of sunlight hit the clouds with an orange glow. It was surprisingly beautiful.

“Feed children, but leave his last breath for me.”

I was set upon by the seven. They each sank their fangs into my flesh. Their bites were nothing like the bite of the specter. Perhaps it was because I was so near death, but their bites eased the pain. Still, I felt the curse trying to gain a foothold in me.

“Enough!”

I was falling… darkness was surrounding me. My heart… there was nothing left for it to push through my veins. My last sight was of the moon breaking through the clouds. That’s when Gavroche bit my neck and the last of my life exploded from me in a scream.

Instead of dying, something stirred within me. A spark. A spark that grew to a flame. I was burning from the inside out. I could feel the man’s fangs still buried in my neck. I gasped.

Flashes of memories came to me. They were not my own.

I was on a hilltop. Trees surrounded an open glade where I stood. Grasses and boulders gave the place a warm and beautiful look. The sky was cloudy. To the east shades of orange and purple from the coming night. To the west, oranges blended into yellows amid splotches of brilliant blue sky.

A man walked into the glade. He had dark hair and dark clothing. He approached the center of the glade. The ethereal shape of a woman shimmered into existence before solidifying in front of him.

“Celestine, my love.”

“I am here, love. Are you ready, Nathaniel?”

“I will rule? I will gain power and influence?”

“Yes, Love. All that, and much more. I will be at your side as we rule together.”

Another man approached. He was older than the first by a few years. He had a look of confidence about him, yet his eyes were glassy.

“Edward.” The woman’s voice was seductive and alluring.

“This has nothing to do with my brother,” Nathaniel spoke with anger in his voice.

“He is needed.” She looked towards the east. “It is time. Do you want this or not? Do you want me? Do you want the power of a god?”

“Yes!”

“Then take this vial and drink it.” She handed Nathaniel a vial of thick red liquid.

Nathaniel stared at the vial and put it to his lips just as the moon emerged from the clouds.

The woman began to chant and as he drank her eyes turned all white and began to glow. “Power and might, strength of night. Infuse this man with shadows and sight. By sevens his rule will sow and by sevens his kingdom will grow.”

Nathaniel screamed as wisps of darkness tore at him. He became taller and larger, more handsome. His eyes became amber and glowed in the moonlight.

He closed his eyes and lifted his chin. “I hunger.”

The woman pointed to Edward. “Your sacrifice.”

“No…” He shook as fangs grew from his teeth.

“The sacrifice must be made!”

Just then, the clouds parted in the west, the final rays of sunlight fell upon Edward. His eyes cleared and he looked around the glade confused. He turned to look at his brother Nathaniel.

“What have you done, brother? Celestine? Why are you here with him, my love?”

“Kill him, Nathaniel!” The woman screamed. “You must feed and make the sacrifice! You must bind the bloodlines or be cursed to darkness forever.”

Nathaniel roared. It was inhuman.

“Don’t do this, Nathaniel! Whatever this beguiling witch has done, we can fix!” Edward turned to Celestine. “Stop this!”

Celestine laughed. “He has no choice. He must feed or he will die. It is all in motion.”

Edward looked upon Nathaniel. Nathaniel was panting and in obvious pain. Edward’s eyes softened.

“I love you, brother. Take my life if it will ease your pain.”

Nathaniel burst into dark mist only to reappear next to Celestine. He sank his teeth into her neck. Her scream echoed through the surrounding hills. Edward drew his sword and plunged it into the woman.

Celestine sank to her knees. “I curse you, Nathaniel, for your treachery. Enmity and death will reign in your life. You will be hunted all your days. Your own blood will reject you. I will return to… take… my revenge.”

A flash of light sent them all apart. When the light dissipated, only the two brothers remained.

Edward stood. The last ray of sunlight was upon him. He stared angrily at his brother. Nathaniel stood and the hunger in his amber eyes was still there. The moonlight reflected down upon him. He took a step forward and the sunlight touched his skin. It sizzled and burned.

“You stupid fool, Nathaniel. Always lusting after power. You are lost to me.”

“I will take what is rightfully mine, Edward.”

“Then we are at odds.”

A flash of lightning crashed between them sending them scrambling away from each other.

The memories stopped the moment the man pulled his fangs from my neck. For those precious moments, I was without pain, but now the pain tore through my body. I was turning. My skin sizzled and smoked, wisps of darkness coalesced around me. My bones shattered and reformed. My broken jaw realigned.

I was screaming and all I wanted was to die.

“We did it. He is turning. Set up the blood to flow back into him. Quickly!”

“Yes Father.”

I closed my eyes and thrashed. The straps kept me from moving too much, but they cut deeply into my wrists, arms, shoulders, and legs. I heard sharp cracks as my bones shattered and the sound of glass clinking against metal. Energy flooded into my arm and slowly moved throughout my body. It collided against the curse in me like knives slicing my veins open. It was like shards of ice and molten fire at the same time.

Darkness overtook me and my screams faded.

 

***

 

“Miss. Wake up, Miss.”

I didn’t want to wake up. I didn’t want more pain. I didn’t want to know if I was alive or what I had become.

“Leave me to die.” The sounds of my words over my parched lips shook me. They were sensual, like the softest of caresses.

“You are not dying, Miss. The master sent me to fetch you. I need to get you dressed.”

My eyes flickered open. The ceiling above me was made of ornately carved wood. The room glowed with torchlight.

“Oh my. Your eyes are so beautiful. I wasn’t expecting that.”

I turned my head to see a young woman. I could feel her heartbeat. She was human.

I sat up slowly as I stared at her, but long hair fell in front of my eyes. Pendulous weight shifted on my chest. Looking down, I could see a pair of breasts barely contained beneath the thin fabric I was wearing.

“What happened to me?”

“I would have thought you would remember. Gavroche turned you. Your transformation left you… a woman. A very beautiful woman. Gavroche was very pleased saying it was the fulfillment of prophecy.”

My hand pulled a fistful of hair in front of my eyes. The dark brown hair was silky soft and had long gentle curls. It had several tones of brown that reminded me of shiny chestnuts.

“A woman… A woman and what else?”

“Oh. I’m sorry Miss. I don’t know. You look…”

“How do I look?”

“Breathtaking. Never seen anyone so beautiful and that is saying a lot, Miss. The first daughters are all stunning, but you… It’s your eyes, I think. Hard to look away from them.”

I took a deep breath, amazed at how good I felt, even if there was a powerful gnawing hunger within me. My hand went to my cheek. It was smooth and I felt no damage. I probed my ribs, distracted by the sight of how pressing them pushed in the silky fabric enhancing the shape of my breasts.

“Miss. The master is waiting.”

I pushed my legs over the edge of the plush bed. My bare feet touched a luxuriously carpeted floor. I looked around. The room was large and well appointed. A mirror caught my eye. I took a few steps until I could see myself. I paused, breathless. The woman in the mirror vaguely resembled my sister.

I looked from the mirror then down at myself several times before moving closer to it. I fell to my knees and reached to touch my reflection. I leaned closer to stare into my new eyes. They were smoky and had a dark outside ring blending quickly to light green and finally amber around the pupil. They were stunning.

“I’m dead. Dreaming.”

“No, Miss.”

“You’re human. Why are you here?”

“I work here. They treat me well. Miss, I know this is a shock to you, but it is not good to keep the master waiting. Let me help you change.”

I nodded and stood to my feet.

“Miss, please come over here and slip out of your sleeping clothes.”

I moved silently over to where she waited. Too stunned and in shock to do otherwise. Her fingers gently reached up and slid the thin fabric straps over my shoulders letting the silky gown drop to the floor. I glanced back at the mirror to see the exquisiteness of my body. I only looked away when the young woman had me step into brown leather pants. With those on, she snugged a brown leather corset on me, and finally an open skirt. brown leather boots were tugged on to complete everything.

“These are fighting clothes, Miss. There will be times you will be required to wear dresses.”

“Dresses…”

“Miss. Please follow me.”

I followed her out of the room and into hallways that seemed very brightly lit to me.

“What is your name?”

“My name is Cora, Miss.”

“I still don’t understand why you would be here with these creatures. They are hideous and vicious. Bloodthirsty animals.”

“They are not all like that, Miss. Here we are. Please go into the room beyond these doors.”

“Thank you, Cora.”

I glanced down at myself, then placed my hands on the gold-polished handles for the large double doors. I paused a moment before pushing them inward. The room was the same one as the one I was in before. The man was there. Gavroche. The one that bit my neck. The other seven lounged in various seats and couches but stood upon my arrival.

“There you are daughter. Let’s get a good look at you.”

I felt bound by this man as if a thick, heavy chain connected me to him. I stood still as the doors closed behind me.

“I said come, daughter.” His words tugged at me. My fear was tangible. I had no idea what I was, just that I was a smaller woman.

I took several steps forward and paused when the others started to circle me. They all looked lustfully at me. Some of the women ran their fingers over my shoulders.

“Enough. Step away from her.”

I took a good look at the man and recognized him from the dream. Certainly, this could not be the same person as what I believed I saw was the moment the nightwalkers were created. He would have to be hundreds of years old.

The others backed away as he strode forward. I winced as he reached to touch my cheek.

“Do not fear me, child. You are one of us now. Any pain you suffer will only be your own doing.” He lifted my chin and stared into my eyes. “Bring a torch.”

I held his gaze but felt the heat of the torch as it neared me.

“Your eyes do not glow like ours do. Are you hungry?”

“I thirst for that which I am repulsed by.”

“You will learn to love it.”

“I do not wish to turn anyone or kill them.”

“You have much to learn, daughter. Bring in the girl.”

I did not look away but felt the subtlest of wind as the door opened behind me. While I heard the steps, I felt the presence of a human. I closed my eyes and could see the faint red glow of her heart.

“You feel her, don’t you.”

“Yes.”

One of the seven brought the woman near me. She looked disheveled and yet there was also desire in her eyes. Upon seeing me, she smiled and held out her bare arm. I saw the veins pulsing with life and felt my teeth begin to lengthen. Fangs, just like the other nightwalkers. I may have been beautiful, but I was still a monster.

“Feed off her, daughter.”

I shook my head.

“Resistance will only cause you pain. Would it help you to know humans come to us to allow us to feed off them? They receive a sense of euphoria from our bites. She is not here against her will and you will not kill her or turn her.”

“No. I can’t become…”

“A cursed monster? A creature of the night? It is too late for that. You are one. I will make this easier on you.” He pulled a dagger from his hip and cut the woman’s arm just enough to allow the blood to trickle out.

I had no control and lunged for the woman’s arm. My fangs sank into her arm, and I pulled the life-giving blood from her. She moaned as if in ecstasy. I felt her tense and I reluctantly let her go. I watched as her arm healed instantly.

“Take her away.”

One of the seven pulled the dreamy-eyed girl out of the room.

“You see? It is not so bad.”

“Father, may I?”

The woman that had captured me was staring at my lips.

“Of course, Emma.”

Emma stepped in front of me, placed both hands on my head, and kissed me. Her tongue probed for mine. It was sensual and frightening at the same time. She pulled away slightly, then lightly licked my lips before moving away.

The man stared at me. “I am Gavroche. Your father. These are my children. You now know Emma.”

Emma licked her lips and smiled.

He pointed to a blonde-haired young woman. “This is Austra. My last daughter is named Saida.”

A black-haired woman tipped her head.

“My sons. Alastor, Andrew, Edmund, and Dagon. They are my seven. Each of them gives birth to seven darklings, as you would call them. Each darkling will create seven specters and so on and so forth. And then there is you. I will name you Adelina.”

“By sevens his power will sow, and by sevens his kingdom will grow.”

Gavroche’s eyes narrowed. “What did you say?”

“Something from a dream I had.”

“Leave us! Adelina, you stay.”

The others left quickly, and I looked for the nearest exit.

“Don’t even think of running, Adelina. By my thought or word, I can halt you in your tracks. Try it. Try to leave.”

I tried to move, but my feet remained in place. “What are you going to do to me? Or perhaps I should ask what more will you do to me?”

“You can move now, Adelina. You need to understand the hierarchy of my kingdom. Every nightwalker yields to my command. Tell me about the dream.”

I was conflicted. Defiant, but defeated. I stared at him a long time before I recounted all that I remembered.

Gavroche moved to a chair and sat down. “I was Nathaniel. None of the others know who I am since I changed my name well before I met them. None of the others had a dream like yours. Everything you said was exactly as it happened. You may not realize this, but you and I are related. Edward was the father that ultimately spawned you and your sister.”

“Edward…”

“Dufort.”

He let that sink in.

“Why did you turn me? Why did I become a woman? What… am… I?”

“Did you enjoy hunting us, Adelina?”

The sound of my new name irritated me. “It was a matter of duty and honor. If left unchecked, your kind would slaughter or turn everyone. The hunters were led by Duforts and assigned their task to eliminate your kind by the king himself. No one enjoyed hunting the nightwalkers, least of all, me.”

“What would you say if I agreed with you. That the ravagers need to be kept in check?”

“I find that hard to believe since you could handle that yourself.”

“Good point but I do agree with you, nonetheless. I want you to set aside your biases. If you came upon me or my firstborn without knowledge of what we are, what would you think of us?”

“You put me in a difficult position to answer. Was I not just tortured and turned against my will? Were you not the same people that tore apart my brother and father? You appear civilized and intelligent, yet you ask too much of me, for I know you are not civilized by your very actions.”

“I could same the same about you. The hunters have slaughtered our kind for hundreds of years. The atrocities they have done to my people are far greater than what mine have done to humans. Let me ask you this. If your lover, Juliet, or your mother or sister were cursed, would you not do everything in your power to free them?”

“That would depend upon the cost. But yes, within reason I would do everything I could. However, you brought this on yourself. Everything that has happened can be placed solely upon your shoulders. All the deaths. All the lives ruined were all for your quest for power.”

He stood large and, in a flash, dissolved away and appeared with his hand wrapped around my throat. “Do not presume you know the hearts of men when you have not lived their lives, child.”

He let go and I gasped for breath.

He turned away. “You wanted to know why I turned you. I have lived over three hundred years, never once since the curse being able to stand in the light of the sun. My brother sought to destroy me, and I had to find my way through the darkness alone. I am more than human but rely upon human blood to live. My life has been filled with death.

“I have sought out seers and prophets. They all said the same thing to me. The blood lines must be united. Siblings must set aside their fears. The war must end. And Celestine must die.”

“Celestine died on that hilltop.”

“I don’t believe so. She said she would return to seek her revenge. I loved her. I realize I was a pawn and was being manipulated by her. So, it seems, was my brother. I sense she is not dead and biding her time.”

“This…” I looked down at my new body. “This is your attempt to end the curse?”

“In your turning, I have successfully united my brother’s blood, your blood, with mine. The Duforts need to set this enmity between us aside. What better way than to take one that could not be turned and turn them so that they can become the bridge. I did not know if you would die, or not. I believed the blood in your veins was what kept you from turning. I drained you so that there was nothing left to prevent your turning.

“I don’t expect your loyalty or your love for what I did to you, but you will obey me as my child. You will learn about our life, and when the time is right, I will send you back to the hunters. As for why you transformed into a woman… Turning is never consistent. Everyone is altered to a greater or lesser degree. Just look at the ravagers. As for what you are, I do not know yet. We are about to find out.”

The doors opened and Emma, a darkling, a specter, a shade, and a ravager entered.

“You said it was time to play, Father?”

“Adelina needs to learn our ways.” He sat back in his chair.

By some unspoken command, the ravager screamed and raced towards me. I took a step back. I had transformed into a woman and knew I was weaker. I was unarmed. The ravager stopped just out of reach. Drool fell to the floor from its fangs. It stared at me and sniffed.

Emma cast her worried gaze at Gavroche and growled. “Attack her!”

The ravager looked confused but moved towards me and stopped again.

“I’m not sure what this is supposed to accomplish. I don’t want to be hurt nor do I wish to hurt anyone.”

Gavroche laughed. “You would not hesitate to kill this creature a few days ago. Attack her.”

The ravager hissed and jumped for me. I dodged out of the way of the sluggish creature. Gavroche was correct in that I would have killed the ravager, but I was female and unarmed. I rolled to my feet as it jumped again. This time it snagged my clothing with its claws. Its mouth opened wide showing rows of sharp fangs.

I was fast, much faster than I had ever been before. I held its head away with one hand to the creature’s forehead. Still, it continued to gnash its fangs and its hands and feet clawed at me. I slugged the ravager with my right fist. It tore away from me and landed in a heap against the far wall.

It limped a little but ran at me again.

“It will keep trying to kill you until it is dead, Adelina. You must kill it to stop the fight.”

I tilted my head to the side and frowned just as it leapt at me again. As before, I held its head back with one hand, but its claws kept on tearing at my clothing and had cut my arms. With one particularly painful gash, I lashed out, grabbed the lower jaw with my other hand, and yanked. The ravager’s blood splattered all over me as its jaw ripped right from its head. It thrashed about, then died in a gurgling heap at my feet.

It was far more than I had ever done before. The raw power and strength in my body was staggering. Yet, I had only killed a ravager, even if it was with my bare hands.

I looked down at my bloody arms that were already healing. “I thought you said I would not be hurt anymore.”

“I said any pain you suffer would be your own doing. You could have ended the fight before you got hurt.”

“You were the one that ordered the ravager to attack me. In any civilized court, you would be liable for my injuries.”

“Civilized court, indeed. You and I both need to learn what you are and are capable of. You may find yourself on the other side of a hunter sword.”

“That’s funny when it feels the only threat to my life right now are those in this room.”

“We already learned something, didn’t we Emma?”

Emma nodded. “I don’t understand it, Father. Why did the ravager not heed my command?”

“There can only be two reasons for this. Either Adelina’s blood is somehow tainted, which I doubt since we all drank it, or she is higher in the hierarchy than you are.”

“How is that possible when she and I were both turned by you? We should be the same.”

“She was not turned the same way as you, Emma. She had the cursed blood of my sworn enemy in her veins. We need to test more. Angelique. Attack Adelina.”

The shade stepped forward. She was far more human and cunning than the ravager. A shade’s language was rudimentary. “Come play… little doll.”

“This is insane.”

“Angelique. Stop.”

Angelique took a step back.

“Perhaps you are right, Adelina.”

The door opened and the largest of Gavroche’s ‘sons’ entered. Dagon, if I recalled correctly. “You called, Father?”

“I need you to test our latest recruit. Are you ready, Adelina?”

“He’s twice my size.”

“If you can incapacitate him, then we will move onto more painless training. You will fight him eventually. Would you rather fight three more or just go to the main fight?”

“Clearly, what I want is not the priority in your mind.”

Dagon cracked his knuckles. “She’s powerful. I can sense it in her, but her mind is trapping her.”

“Don’t do this, Gavroche.”

“Call me father and I might consider a short reprieve.”

“My father died after you slaughtered him.”

“Suit yourself. Have at her, Dagon.”

Dagon vanished in a swirl of darkness only to appear right behind me. He threw his fist into my ribs, and I heard them crack. Gods he was powerful. I fell end over end, crashing into the stone wall. I held my ribs as I stood. Dagon was nowhere to be found. I ran for a corner, knowing he could not possibly materialize inside a wall.

I managed only two steps before he appeared before me. “Going somewhere, darling?” He swung his fist for my head, but I managed to dodge it but in doing so pain from my ribs flared and I gasped only to have my wind knocked out of me completely when his leg kicked my feet from underneath me and I slammed onto the hard floor. I rolled away as I tried to catch my breath, barely avoiding another kick.

Dagon vanished again as I scrambled to my feet. I was healing quickly, but that was not going to help when he could simply come upon me from behind. I placed my back to the wall when Dagon appeared in front of me. His fist aimed for my head once again. I dodged and gained slight satisfaction when his hand hit the stone.

Using his surprise, I tried to slug him, but my fist only found air. He materialized inches away from me, his body pressed against mine.

“You smell nice, Adelina.” His lips pressed against my neck. I pushed him with all I had and managed to send him tumbling away.

He shook his head and smiled. “Come on, darling. How about a kiss?”

I heard Emma hiss.

He vanished and appeared at my side. His teeth sank into my neck. I screamed in pain and brought my knee into his crotch, then hit him as he was doubled over. His nose shattered and he fell away spitting blood. I reached my hand to my neck and pulled it away to find my own blood there.

“Bloody hell.”

Dagon roared, vanished, and slammed into me so hard that I flew twenty feet through the air and crashed through a sturdy chair and then into the stone floor. I could barely move when he appeared above me.

“Pleasant dreams, darling.” He smashed his fist into my face.

 

***

 

“Stay still.”

For a moment I thought I was twelve again. Mother was telling me to stop fidgeting. I was waiting for Father and Christoff to return. That ended when my cheek felt like a knife was being pushed into it. I pulled back.

“Stay still, Miss. I’m still cleaning you up.”

I opened one eye, the one that could open, to find Cora tending to me. I tried to touch my cheek with my hand, but pain erupted in my ribs.

“You need to feed to fully heal, Miss. I can bring one of the donors if you like.” Cora dabbed at my cheek, and I felt the sharp pain again.

“Do you…” Even talking hurt. “Do you think if I heal faster then I will just get another beating sooner?”

“Maybe. Emma told me what happened when she carried you in here. I’m sorry, Miss. Their ways are not… normal. But they are effective.”

“So much for Gavroche thinking I’m something special.”

“I would not say that. You don’t know how to phase or become invisible. You have not tapped into your mind control abilities. Emma was impressed and said to avoid Dagon because he was in a lot of pain.”

“Great. Now I must constantly be looking behind me for his retribution.”

“You don’t understand, Adelina. You will.”

“How come you don’t fear being here, Cora? Aren’t you worried the ravagers will attack you?”

“Not at all. In the human world, we call the categories of nightwalkers, ravagers, shades, specters, and darklings. I coined a new phrase for the eldest children of Gavroche as darklords. Darklords, darklings, and specters all feed off blood. Darklords need the least blood to sustain themselves or have some when they are injured to heal rapidly. Darklings and specters need blood more frequently. They all recruit donors and the donors are marked. Any shade or ravager feeding from a donor will be killed.

“I am a worker and workers are not marked per say. I am now as I have been given to you. You are my mistress, and my role is to look after you and tend your needs. Workers drink silver water once per week. It does not take much to make us poisonous to nightwalkers. They can smell it and avoid us.”

“Silver water… I used to use that when hunting.”

“Yours was much more concentrated than what we workers drink. Let’s get you up.”

I sat up and winced with the pain but was surprised at how much I had already healed. I looked down at my shapely figure and saw I was wearing a black nightgown.

“When Emma brought you here, I removed your clothing, bathed you with cloths, then put your nightclothes on you. Miss Emma seems to like you.”

“I think terms such as like and love in this place mean different things from where I am from. I have… had someone. They would kill me now for what I have become.”

Cora’s fingers lifted my chin. “I have worked here for years, Miss. I know this is hard for you to fathom, but the darklords and darklings are practically human. They are far stronger and faster, have special abilities, but they have real emotions, real thoughts. They are not that much different than a human. Do you feel different than you were before?”

“Yes. No. I am physically different, but I feel the same inside as I was before.”

“You have hopes, dreams, and fears just like the rest of us. This feud. This war can end. If I can learn to accept the nightwalkers, so can others. Perhaps your lover would eventually accept you.”

“I became female when I turned, Cora. Juliet would never… Her family was murdered by nightwalkers. I suspect the only way she will be satisfied is with a silver sword through my heart.”

“I was made aware of the turning change, Miss. I’m sorry for your loss. Can I bring in a donor?”

“No, thank you, Cora. I just don’t want the additional reminder of my inhumanity.”

Cora nodded. “Then we best get you dressed for dinner.”

“Dinner?”

“Every night Gavroche and the darklords have dinner together.”

“I can only imagine.”

 

***

 

My ribs throbbed with every constricted breath. “Does it have to be so bloody tight, Cora?”

“A corset is meant to be much tighter to emphasize your thin waist, Miss. I am only tightening it enough to make it look proper.”

“My sister would be laughing at me right now.”

I heard laces moving through the eyelets. A sharp tug and another squeeze on my broken ribs was confirmation that modern dresses were invented by a sadistic man with no idea of the pain he was inflicting.

“There you go, Miss. All done. Now I just need to get the skirt over your head and fix any loose hair.”

Fifteen minutes later, Cora deemed me presentable just as Gavroche’s voice sounded in my head.

“You’re late for dinner.”

“Blame that on the twenty layers of silk and several broken ribs,” I spoke silently to myself.

“I heard that. We are waiting for you.”

Cora twisted a few strands of my hair. “Were you rolling your eyes at me, Miss?”

“Gavroche says he is waiting for me. I was rolling my eyes at him.”

“Best not to keep them waiting. Let me get the doors for you, Miss.”

As we walked through the hallways, it occurred to me why men opened doors and pulled chair for women. The dresses were so large, I would likely fall over before my hand found the handle.

Cora opened the double doors and stepped back to let me pass. Gavroche and the darklords were standing around in their finest clothing. A large table was perfectly set with more cutlery than I had ever seen before. Gold cutlery. Not silver. Crystal glasses and the finest plates. Candles were lit.

The door closed behind me as everyone stared. I must have been quite the sight with a bruised face and an eye that was now only able to open slightly. Emma, dressed in an elaborate lavender gown, crossed the room, and delicately ran her fingers over my cheek.

“I will have words with your girl. You should have fed.”

“Cora wished to bring me a donor and I declined.”

“Why would you do that?”

I gently removed her hand from my cheek.

Gavroche moved to the head of the table. “Adelina. You will sit next to me so we can talk.”

All eyes followed me as I made my way to Gavroche’s right side. Alastor slipped in behind me, dressed in a sleek gray suit. I tensed, but he merely held the chair for me. The men helped Emma, Austra, and Saida sit before they all took their seats.

Gavroche remained standing as humans entered the room. Several placed soup in front of each of us while others poured what appeared to be wine. Gavroche lifted his glass.

“A toast to the newest member of our household. Adelina.”

Everyone reached for their glasses and held them high. “Adelina,” they said in unison. They waited for me.

I reached for my glass, tipped my head slightly, and brought the glass close so I could smell it. It smelled like red wine.

“It’s wine, Adelina.” Gavroche sounded irritated.

I ignored the stares and took a sip. It was exceptionally good wine. I set my glass back down and laughed.

Gavroche tensed. “I fail to see what is funny, Adelina.”

“The irony of it all.”

Emma looked at Gavroche with a worried expression. “What’s ironic, Adelina?”

“I spent my life hunting nightwalkers. Beings I thought were nothing more than savage beasts. I lived a military-style life. No fancy clothing. No fancy meals. Now, here I am dressed like a butterfly, sitting at a table with all of you dressed in your finest. A dinner table that would rival the king’s. The irony is that you all seem far more civilized and human than I ever was. I imagined many things, but not this.”

Alastor was staring at me. “We all still hold onto our humanity, Adelina.”

Gavroche carefully brought a spoon of soup to his lips. “For many years we struggled with our place until we formulated a vision for our future. We hold events and dinners as a way of preparing ourselves to integrate back into society.”

I nearly choked on my soup. “Exactly how do you think you can integrate when humans remain fodder for ravagers and shades? Nightwalkers have a rather, forgive the pun, shady reputation.”

I heard clinking of spoons.

Gavroche leaned back in his chair. “Relax everyone. It has been too long since we had a fresh perspective around our table. You are correct, Adelina. It is our hope that we will eventually remedy how we are seen by the rest of the world. By training ourselves to be ready for society when it opens its doors to us, we will be more prepared. We already own many businesses. We leverage human partnerships to do so for we cannot be in the sunlight and at night, our eyes give us away.

“Many of you have questioned why turn one of our most feared enemies. A Dufort, even. As you can see, the rule of seven did not factor into Adelina becoming one of us. I cannot turn more people unless one of you dies. Adelina’s turning places us at risk, and even now the hunters are trying to win over the king to use his army in conjunction with the hunter soldiers to wipe us out.

“Turning Elias Dufort has placed a target upon us of the likes we have never had before. Since the nightwalker curse was cast by the witch, I have discovered three events that must take place before the curse can be lifted. I believe turning Elias, combining his bloodline with my own, is the first of the three events. It is therefore of utmost importance we prepare ourselves and train Adelina for her role.”

“And what exactly is my role?”

“Your role will depend upon your abilities, but I have hope that you will visit your sister soon.”

I carefully placed my spoon down, pushed away from the table, and stood. “My sister is innocent and kind. You will not involve her.”

I started to leave but found I was rooted in place. “Let. Me. Go.”

“Sit down, Adelina.”

The pressure for me to sit was powerful. I fought against it, and I only caused myself great pain.

“Sit!”

I plunked myself back down in the chair.

“You will not disrespect me, Adelina. You will either visit your sister or I will bring her here. It is your choice.”

I seethed with anger and my hand momentarily vanished in a swirl of dark wisps. I gritted my teeth and nodded. “I will go to her when you deem me ready, Gavroche.” My hand returned to normal.

“Austra. You will oversee Adelina’s knowledge and lore of us. Dagon. You will continue to train with Adelina in combat until such time as she incapacitates you. Saida. You will work with Adelina and her girl to prepare her for being a woman in high society. Alastor. You will train Adelina in her dark abilities.”

“What of me, Father?” Emma asked.

Gavroche turned his gaze to Emma. There was softness there, almost as if she were his real daughter. “Everything else. I expect you to be her companion and mentor whenever she is not otherwise occupied.”

Emma smiled.

As more food arrived, Gavroche asked what was happening among their businesses and politics with the king and prince.

 

***

 

I didn’t speak another word, just kept my mouth shut. I did, however, eat. The food was the best I had ever eaten, and I was quite hungry. I ate enough that the corset was pressing more painfully against my ribs.

When dinner finished, I was excited to leave, but such was not to be the case. Apparently, as part of the social training, everyone was expected to mingle and when the three-human band started playing, dance. Not able to leave, I found an out of the way corner to stand by myself, but I was apparently a flame for moths. Andrew was the first to confront me.

“I do not like that you are here. You killed Bellinor, my child.”

“I don’t like being here either, so we have that in common. I apologize if I killed someone you cared for. To set the record straight, I only killed nightwalkers that attacked me first or had recently killed a human.”

Andrew stepped forward and I backed up until my gown pressed against the wall. Emma intervened and pulled Andrew away to dance.

He growled at her. “I was not finished with the murderer yet.”

“Yes. You are.”

He grunted and she curtseyed to him before holding out her hand. He took her hand when Gavroche interrupted them.

“Andrew. You are to bow first.”

Andrew’s jaw tightened, and he bowed to Emma before taking her hand. Before I could move, Edmund stepped in front of me.

“You will dance with me, Adelina.”

“Perhaps another time.” I turned away, but he grabbed my arm.

“It was not a request.”

This time Saida came to my rescue. “Unhand her, Edmund. That is not respectable behavior. Touching a woman without asking her is considered assault.”

He let go and pointed at me. “That is not a woman.”

“Then why are you asking her to dance?”

Edmund pulled in a deep breath. “I acknowledge she is female, and a very beautiful one at that, but I do not believe she deserves respect, and she is beneath us.”

Saida placed a hand on his powerful chest. “Go dance with Austra.”

He shrugged and left. Saida faced me. “Do you know how to dance?”

“No.”

“Follow me.” Saida headed for the double doors.

Anything that got me out of that room would be good. At that point I would even consider going back to the dungeons a better option than staying. We were intercepted by Gavroche.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m taking Adelina to my room to teacher her how to dance.”

“We have a studio for that purpose.”

“Anyone can enter the studio. I can’t lead Adelina in my dress. It would not be proper for me to be seen by others that way.”

“You have two weeks to get her ready. Adelina?”

“Yes?”

“You will train with Dagon every day. You will feed after each training session to assure you are fully healed for the next session. Do you understand me?”

“Yes.” I felt completely defeated.

“Tomorrow you will stay here throughout the entire social time. If asked to dance, you will. Saida can teach you at other times, but for tonight, I see you are anxious to be away from us, so you have my blessing to leave.”

“Thank you.” After a second, I added, “Kind sir.” It sounded condescending, which I meant it to be.

Gavroche opened the doors for us.

Once we stepped into the hallway and the doors were closed, Saida turned to me.

“Why do you choose to antagonize him?”

Saida was an extremely powerful nightwalker, yet she was also a woman. I felt safer around her.

“May I ask you a question before I answer you?”

“Yes.”

“Was it your choice to be turned?”

“No.”

“Do you remember your first days as a nightwalker?”

“Vividly, even though it was two hundred years ago. I believe you might be trying to generate some empathy from me, but it is not something I can give you. Yes, it was painful and yes, I had to learn all about the new me and that was also painful at times. What you need to know about me is that I was nothing but a blight on society. I was an orphan. I was a thief. I would do anything to get my next meal and that meant sometimes hurting innocent people.

“When Father was cursed, he only knew his need to feed. He hated himself. For every seventy people he fed on, only one turned. All the others died. Because people died, he tried to end his own life numerous times. When that failed, he learned to live with his curse. He chose people that would not be missed. Orphans. Thieves. Murderers. The sick and dying.

“I happened to be his third turning. By the time he found me, he understood the timing and numbers. He looked for someone he thought showed promise. He watched me for months. I was given a new life. A home. A family. Every one of his children, the seven of us, he has provided for. I came from nothing and am now immeasurably more than I ever was or ever could have become.

“So, when you disrespect and antagonize him, we all get angry because he is the only father we have ever had. You are different. I understand that. You were taken away from your loved ones. You were taken from your purpose. You were turned against your will. You have been beaten and drained for one reason only; that the curse that separates us from the sun, that forces us to feed on humans, that keeps us from society, that makes us pariahs to be hunted… The reason you were turned was to set us free.”

I went to speak, but she pushed me up against the wall. “I want you to consider something. I want you to consider that you might play a part in righting the wrongs that were done. There is no end to the bloodshed, the death, the pain of lives and families torn apart without the curse being removed. Your pain is yours. What you lost is great. But what if? What if you could help end this? We are a family here, forged through our own pain and suffering. Why did you hunt us?”

“To hopefully end the bloodshed.”

“Your purpose has not changed. You could never have accomplished your goal as Elias Dufort, but as Adelina, you have a chance. I will not lie to you. You’re going to be hurt in fighting training. Push yourself to learn and the pain will become less frequent. You need to become everything you can be if you and we are to succeed.

“Contrary to your belief, no one here relishes death. No one. Every human turned or killed because of a ravager or shade that are controlled by their animal instincts is mourned. The only ones we don’t mourn are those that attack and kill us. We greatly mourned the deaths of your father, and great, great grandfather that were sacrificed in an attempt to bring the bloodlines back together.”

“Had you come to me…”

“It’s not that simple and you know it, Adelina. You saw what we did to your father and brother. There would be no getting past your hatred for us. There would have been no amount of discussions that would have changed your mind. For what it is worth, your father volunteered to be turned. We were trying to prepare him to be turned when your brother found us. He attacked and we defended ourselves. It was never meant to end the way it did.”

I slumped to the floor with tears falling down my cheeks. “Father… he never… said… anything.”

“Why would he after we slaughtered your brother? For all he knew, it was a setup. He spoke with Gavroche. Your father was tired of the war. It made sense to him. He volunteered and when we had him, that’s when your second in command led his team that included your brother. He came here to find your father who was trying to help us end the curse.”

I buried my face in my hands then fought the bulky dress to stand. I hurried back down the hallway to the double doors and pushed my way inside. Saida came in behind me. Emma looked at the tears that still fell freely and turned in anger towards Saida.

“What did you do to her?”

I ignored them. “Is it true? Did you speak with my father, and he volunteered to be turned? That Thad and my brother led a team to find him and… that is why they died?”

Gavroche stood from where he was sitting. “Your father was one of the bravest men I have ever met. Do not believe he did not still hate us. The enmity between the bloodlines still existed, but he volunteered if only to spare the lives of you and your sister.”

I stared into his eyes and saw nothing but pain. There was no defiance. No hatred.

“Forgive me.”

I spun and ran from the room. I almost knocked over Cora as I entered my bedroom and threw myself onto the bed. I struggled to breathe among the wracking sobs.

“Oh my… what have they done now?”

Emma entered the room. “Aside from a hideous social event, men not acting very gentlemanly, and learning his father had volunteered to be turned to end the war between us and humans, nothing Cora.”

“Should I leave, Miss Emma?”

“No, Cora. Why don’t you find a change of clothes for Adelina and a damp cloth to wipe her face.”

“Yes, Miss Emma.”

The bed shifted and I felt a warm hand on my back. Emma laid down next to me and rubbed my back gently. She didn’t say a word, for which I was immensely grateful.

 

***

 

Somehow, I fell asleep and woke up alone in bed. Cora was sleeping in a nearby chair. I was still wearing the oversized puffy dress, but the strings on my corset had thankfully been loosened and my shoes had been removed.

The crying and sleep had done me well. I was well healed now with only a little tenderness. I moved quietly to a basin with a container of fresh water. I poured some into the basin and washed my face, finding a cloth to dry myself with. I stared at myself in the mirror. Something had settled in me. I wasn’t at all happy with the way I had been treated, the abuse and torture I had endured, or that I had been turned and transformed into a woman. However, the reason for it made sense. The why had been answered. I wasn’t some random person they targeted.

I stared at my beautiful eyes and face. There was something about being a woman that softened my calloused and arrogant heart. Had I been turned and remained Elias, would I have been so open to the truth? Would I have been more aggressive and fought harder, possibly missing everything I needed to learn?

I stood tall and hardly recognized the beautiful woman before me. My breasts showed ample cleavage even with the corset loose. I was truly stunning. I felt contrite and humble. The idea of being protected gave me a sense of deep longing.

I remembered Juliet teasing me about commitment, and yet it felt like we were more companions going through the same dangerous journey than lovers.

I looked around the room and spotted the clothes Cora had prepared for me. I tried to lift the heavy skirt over my head, and it snagged. I could easily tear it to shreds to get it off me, but I did not want to ruin it. I struggled, got parts of it over my head, then tripped and fell in a heap.

“Oh… Miss. I am so sorry for falling asleep. Are you hurt? Are you crying?”

“It’s all right, Cora. I’m laughing at myself. This dress is impossible.”

“Let me help you up. There is a clasp on the back. The skirt won’t go anywhere without it being undone first.”

I stood and took in a deep breath of cool air when the skirt fell back around my hips. I felt Cora’s fingers unhook the clasp, then the entire thing fell in a pile at my feet. Next, she unlaced the corset.

“Who needs jails when we have clothing like this?”

Cora laughed. “You sound better, Miss.”

“I feel better.”

“Do you need anything? Can I get a donor for you?”

I nodded. “I despise that I feel the hunger to finish my healing and feel significant guilt over the need.”

“Don’t be ashamed, Miss. Can you manage your clothes while I go fetch one?”

“I can manage as long as I don’t need to get into anything like that dress for the next few hours.”

“I’ll be right back, Miss.”

Once Cora left, I stripped out of the remaining clothing layers, relieved myself, then changed into the brown fighting leathers and skirt. Moments later, Cora came into the room with a wide-eyed, young woman.

I had a sense about her that she belonged to Emma.

The young woman curtseyed to me. “I’m very pleased to meet you, Miss. I’m Isabel.”

“You belong to Emma?”

“Yes, Miss. But Miss Emma is willing to share me with you.”

“You don’t mind that we feed off your blood?”

“I am paid well and that helps my family have enough food to eat. I know you won’t harm me or turn me.”

She held out her arm and I felt my fangs descend. I had a moment of hesitation before sinking my teeth into her arm. She moaned in a very sexual way. I felt my body instantly heal and I was filled with renewed energy. I let go of her arm and Isabel smiled at me.

“Mmmm. That felt wonderful, Miss. Thank you.”

“Thank you, Isabel.”

She curtseyed and left my room. I moved to the basin to wash my lips. When I looked up, it was as if I could see through the walls. People moved on the other side. I could see faint red outlines. When I turned to face Cora, she shimmered slightly with a reddish glow. Her heart was deeper red.

The structure where we were was large. Near the center, I could see additional shapes. They appeared with a yellow tint.

“I think I need to meet Gavroche and the darklords.”

“They are…”

“I believe I can sense where they are, Cora. Thank you for being so kind to me.”

“Of course, Miss.”

I left my room and entered the big common room, Sure enough, my enhanced senses were correct. They were all there. No one spoke when I moved towards them. They watched me carefully.

“I feel like my life has been veiled. What I believed to be true were lies or partial truths. I don’t appreciate how I was brought into this new existence. The beatings and the outright torture have done nothing but build walls within me. I could hate you all until my last breath, but I can only hope this was all for the greater good. I am willing to put my past behind me. If I can help end this curse for all of you, for me, and stop this war between nightwalkers and humans, then I will do anything to help accomplish this. I’m here today to tell you I am all in. Forgive me for what I have done to you and your kind. It was out of ignorance, revenge, and my own self-interests.”

Dagon smiled. “Don’t expect me to go soft on you now.”

Emma walked over to me. She stared into my eyes before leaning in to kiss my cheek. She took my hand in hers. “Come.”

“Wait.”

We paused.

Gavroche came over to me. “I was wrong when I said your father was one of the bravest people I have ever met. You have shown more courage in seeking our forgiveness when we have done little to deserve it.”

He extended his hand, and I took it.

“To ending the curse and the war.” I turned to go but paused. “Don’t expect me to call you father.”

Gavroche chuckled. “Don’t keep her out late, Emma. She has work to do.”

Emma winked at him. “How late, exactly?” She pulled my hand and led me out into the hallway. She was silent as she led me through several doors and down into the tunnels. It wasn’t until we were well away from the rest of the building that she stopped.

“Forgive me, Adelina. You were not treated well by me or any of us. I drained you. I left you broken, injured, and alone in a cell with no food or water. I threatened your team. I stood by not saying anything when we should have risen above our own biases.”

“I forgive you. You are not what I expected, Emma.”

Her eyes danced merrily. “Beautiful?”

“Yes. The most physically attractive woman I have ever met, but what I did not expect is for you to show empathy for me.”

“Walk with me.”

We walked for several minutes before she spoke again.

“Juliet is your lover. The one you entered the tunnels with and who refused to leave your side?”

“Yes. However, I believe things have changed now. She might never be able to love me as I am. I must accept this as the price I must pay.”

“Love is a strange emotion when you are immortal. Either you love another immortal, or you choose someone that will age, wither, and die before you. You loved her?”

“I am still trying to process what has happened to me. It is not right for me to answer a question like that with someone I hardly know.”

“You don’t love her then.”

“I didn’t say that.”

“You don’t have to, Adelina. If you truly loved her, you would not hesitate to say so. You were lovers, comrades in arms. A couple forged together like two types of steel more due to circumstances than real love. It doesn’t mean that you did not have a semblance of love. She stayed by your side, and you sacrificed yourself for her and your family. Did you know, according to the Greeks, there are eight types of love?”

I shook my head.

“Eros is the flame of initial love. This is the spark that ignites when you look upon someone the first time and see something that opens your heart to the other person. Pragma is a love born of duty, commitment, and practicality. Ludus is playful and flirting love. Agape is selfless love. It is unconditional. Philia is the type of love that develops over time. It is deep, strong, and platonic. Philautia is self-love, something we all seem to lack as nightwalkers. Storge is familial love, which is what one normally has for their mother, father, or siblings. Lastly, there is mania, which is an obsessive love.”

“I had no idea.”

“When you live hundreds of years, even a dried-up Greek piece of literature becomes fascinating. It seems to me that your relationship with Juliet was a blend of pragma and philia. I believe to truly love someone you need all eight.”

We stopped at a major intersection of tunnels. I recognized it. Numerous nightwalkers streamed from the tunnels and surrounded us. I tensed, ready for a fight.

“You have nothing to fear from them, Adelina. Tell them to go and keep watch with your mind, not your voice. Just direct it at them and not me please.”

I spoke the words in my mind while focusing on those creatures around us. They left quickly, but I noticed something. When they left, they stayed clear of one spot. A glint appeared in the torchlight.

“Well done, Adelina. We should head back to the castle. Adelina?”

I walked over and looked down to see my father’s silver sword and my silver dagger.

“Adelina, stay away from those.”

I stared at them and looked around, trying to sense and see the living creatures and humans like I did earlier. A yellow glow surrounded a few hundred ravagers, shades, specters, and Emma. Emma had a pink glow around her.

“How do you know when someone has consumed silver water?”

“Gavroche, the elder children, and their children can see life as a glow when they tune their senses. Nightwalkers…”

“Have a yellow glow. Red for humans.”

“You see that?”

“As of this morning.”

“That’s impressive, Adelina. It took me years before I could tune my senses to see them, even with teaching. For nightwalkers like us, someone poisoned with silver will have a blue aura. The rest are driven by blood, and someone tainted with silver will have a soured smell to them.”

“Why does Cora not appear as blue to me?”

“What? What color aura does she have?”

“Red.”

“She is definitely blue, Adelina.”

I reached for the hilt of my dagger.

“Adelina, no!”

I touched the hilt, and nothing happened. I wrapped my fingers around and lifted it.

“Gods… your hand should be melting, Adelina.”

I grabbed the sword and it felt good to have the perfectly balanced sword in my hand again.

“Something special…”

“What did you say, Adelina?”

“Gavroche did not know what I was. I’m not one of the seven, so how did he turn me? No Dufort has ever been turned before.”

“We drained your blood, Adelina, then put it back after you were turned. You touch silver. Your eyes do not glow in torch or moonlight.”

“What time of day is it, Emma?”

I looked down the hallway that led outside.

“No! I’m taking you back!”

I shook my head. “I need to know.”

I ran down the tunnel with Emma yelling at me to stop. I stopped at the entrance. It was bright. Direct sunlight hit the ground just a few feet from me.

“No, no, no! Please don’t, Adelina.”

I edged closer and held my hand out. I immediately felt the warmth of the sun as the rays hit my skin.

“It’s not possible, Adelina.”

I stepped into the sunlight and looked up into the sky. The sun touched my skin.

“Adelina, please!” She pleaded.

Emma had a look of desperate need and desire. She was crying. I was torturing her. I went inside and stood next to her. She tentatively touched my cheek.

“There was a moment when I was standing in the light that I wanted to leave. I could go where none of you could find me.”

“Why did you come back?”

“Because my leaving does not break the curse. I made a promise and I want to see the day you stand in the sun again.”

She cried and pulled me to her in a fierce hug. “We need to get back. Please be careful with your weapons. Don’t get them near any of us.”

We hurried all the way back into the castle and went straight to the main room. Gavroche and the others were there.

“You took your time, Emma.”

“Father…”

Everyone backed away when they saw me holding the silver weapons. Only Gavroche came closer.

“So, you really are something else then… I assume the sun…”

“I watched her, Father. She stepped into the sunlight and cast her face towards the rays. It was glorious.”

Gavroche looked thoughtful. “I believe Adelina represents what we would become without the curse, what I would have been like had the sacrifice been made and the curse avoided. Are you still here to end the curse, Adelina? By all rights, you could leave here since you are not cursed like the rest of us.”

“I lived in darkness for two days. It was enough for me and not seeing the sun or to be touched by its rays weighed heavily upon me. I want to see the war end. I want you all to walk in the sun.”

“Please put your weapons in your room, Adelina. I can’t risk harming anyone here. Be quick about it. Saida, you’re up. We must get Adelina confident in her social graces. Alastor, when Saida is finished, I need you to help Adelina get in touch with her dark abilities before you hand her to Dagon and dinner.”

I headed to my room and placed my sword and dagger on a dresser. I felt a presence behind me and turned to find Emma there.

“Adelina…” She looked down. “You will be spending a lot of time with the others. I know your heart is conflicted and needs time, but I want to put my claim on you before the others get the idea. My heart has caught me off guard and I see something in you that I want more of. Take your time, but know I am here, wanting to explore all eight of the Greek loves with you. That is... If you could see me as anything other than a monster.”

“I need to know my own heart first, Emma.”

“I understand.”

“And you are not a monster.”

Emma stared into my eyes. “Gods… your eyes are gorgeous.” She closed the distance and gave me a gentle kiss. “Now go learn to dance.”

 

***

 

“My sister is infatuated with you as are all of us. With Emma, though, I have never seen her like this. A word of warning. If you hurt her, you will be learning to dance with broken feet.”

“Everyone realizes I became a woman only two days ago and I have left… relationships… behind that are unresolved, right?”

“I am sure any one of us will indulge you if you care to experiment with your new body.” She winked at me.

“I thought you were teaching me social graces.”

“What’s more social than sex?”

I looked back at the door.

Saida giggled. “Good girl. You are embarrassed and feel a need to escape my clutches. That is commendable. Next time you come, you need to wear a dress, but for today, your fighting clothes will do as they will help me watch your feet. Let’s start with you learning how to enter a room.”

 

***

 

Saida’s instructions were helpful, and I found my new body immensely more graceful than I used to be. After several hours, she handed me over to Alastor. He was lounging in a chair in his bedroom. His eyes tracked every move I made like a cat watching a bird.

He vanished in dark wisps and a few seconds later appeared behind me to close the door. He vanished again and appeared back in his chair. He stroked his chin as he continued to stare at me.

“Either stand there and remove your clothes or come and sit in my lap.”

My eyes narrowed at his voice in my head. I concentrated on sending a reply to him. “Strip or sit in your lap… How about I pour the basin of water over your head?”

Alastor tipped his head to the side, and he smiled. “Lie on the bed!”

I felt the command. It tugged on my spirit to comply. Unlike Gavroche, I still had my own free will. “Go to sleep, Alastor.” I put some force behind my thought and was surprised to find him nodding off just as Emma burst through the door looking angry as a hornet’s nest that had just got hit by a rock.

“Did he touch you? Command you?”

“We were having a discussion in our heads.”

“We all heard you, Adelina.”

Gavroche came into the room and started laughing. “She put Alastor to sleep.”

Emma stared at me. “Gods… Before she wakes him up, let me do something.”

Emma walked over to the basin and grabbed the water jug. She poured it into Alastor’s lap. She put the jug back, then sauntered back over to me. “Wake him up now, Adelina. You will need to focus on him.”

The other darklords came into the bedroom.

Andrew shook his head. “Half of my underlings are asleep. What is going on and why is Alastor’s pants wet?”

I bit my lower lip. “I’m sorry. I thought I was focusing on him and was angry he commanded me to lie on the bed.”

“He what?” Emma grabbed a book and threw it at Alastor. It bonked him on the head, and he stirred.

“Ugh… Why is everyone in my room? I’m soaking wet!”

Saida giggled. “It was an earthquake. A book hit you and knocked you unconscious then the water spilled on you from the basin. We were just checking on you.”

Austra laughed and turned away.

Dagon pointed at me. “You can’t use that when we fight.”

Alastor smiled as he looked at me. He lounged back and thrust up his hips. “Come on, Adelina. Come dry me up. Just sit on my lap and rub back and forth a little.”

Dagon had to hold back Emma.

Alastor laughed. “Now I know who poured water on me. I apologize, Adelina. I was merely showing you levels of thought control. The first was simple communication. The second was a compelling command. I did not expect you to be able to control me.”

Gavroche started walking towards the door. “Everyone out. Alastor, I expect you to play nicely. Teach her how to focus her mind control abilities. I will take care of the rest of the sleeping minions.”

Emma grabbed a dagger from Alastor’s table. “I’m staying. I might learn something.”

Gavroche shook his head. “Out, Emma.”

“But… Fine. Adelina, call me if you need moral support.”

“I will.”

Everyone filed out of the room.

Alastor grinned. “Where were we, Adelina?”

 

***

 

To focus more on an individual person, it helped to associate something about them in my mind. Their unique smell or something my mind could help lock in on. Having an image of what I wanted to do also made the command clearer. We communicated back and forth and each time I was able to hone my communication skills a little more.

As for becoming mist and insubstantial, what Alastor called phasing, I failed every time and only shimmered slightly when trying to hide. Alastor was pleased with my progress; however, I was upset I had not learned anything I could use in a fight with Dagon.

Gavroche agreed to let Emma stay in the room only if she kept to herself and didn’t interfere with the fight.

“No mind control, Adelina.” Dagon waved me forward.

I took a step towards him, and he vanished, appearing next to me. His kick sent me sprawling across the room. I got back onto my feet with significant hip pain.

“All right, sweetheart. I will not use my dark abilities for the next minute.”

He rushed me and I dove and rolled to the side. At least I was faster than he was. He swung at me as I got back to my feet. I leaned back and away, feeling the wind of his fist just miss my face. I pushed forward and blocked his next hit, then followed with a punch to his stomach. He doubled over and I thrust my knee up with what I had hoped would knock him out.

He vanished and slammed his foot against my shin. I heard my ankle crack. His fist soon followed hoping to knock me out. I was in such pain that I screamed and swung my fist. Our fists met and his hand broke as mine continued.

His right hand dangled as he roared. My nose broke with his follow up and I collapsed onto the floor, bleeding heavily and drifting in and out of consciousness.

I came to with my head nestled in Emma’s lap. She was stroking my hair.

“Isabel is here, Adelina.”

A forearm moved to my lips. I looked into Isabel’s eyes, and she nodded. “Please, Miss. Take what you need.”

My fangs grazed her wrist. I bit into her arm as gently as I could. My ankle snapped back into place as did my nose. My hip pain vanished. Isabel was moaning and that brought me out of my need to feed. I withdrew my fangs and watched as her arm healed immediately.

“I will go sleep now, Miss Emma.”

“Thank you, Isabel.”

Emma looked down at me. “All better?”

“Physically.”

“You have… uhm… may I…?”

I nodded. Emma bent down and kissed me, licking the excess blood from my lips.

“All cleaned up now, but you might want a bath before dinner.”

“Gods… I don’t know what is worse. Getting beaten and mangled by Dagon or wearing a corset.”

“I don’t like seeing you hurt, but I could get used to looking after you.” Her fingers continued to stroke my hair.

Juliet was never overly affectionate. The thought of her put a damper on my current situation. I pushed myself up then pulled Emma to her feet. She lingered close, wanting more from me than I could give.

“Thank you, Emma. Thank you for defending me and taking care of me.”

She reached up and moved some hair from my eyes. “There is a but coming. Don’t say it, please. I understand.”

I took her hand in mine and squeezed it. “I better get ready for dinner.”

 

***

 

I entered my room and found Cora waiting for me.

“Miss Emma suggested you might wish to bathe after your time with Dagon. The bath is ready for you, Miss. Do you need help?”

“I appreciate everything you do for me, Cora. I think I can manage a bath.”

Cora bit her lower lip and nodded.

“Is there something I should know, Cora?”

“It’s just… with your long hair it can be a bit hard to manage. Miss Emma provided you some special soap and oils for your hair…”

“Give me a few minutes to myself, then I would be very grateful for your help with my hair.”

Cora smiled. “Of course, Miss.”

“You can call me Adelina, if you like.”

“Did you know that Isabel and others that have seen you have created a new category for you?”

“No. I’m not that different than Gavroche’s children.”

“You felt the power of nightwalkers before you were turned, correct?”

“Yes.”

“We can sense that you are greater than the darklords and less than Master Gavroche. Isabel tells me when you feed from her, the experience is more uplifting than from anyone else. She and others have begun calling you a royal. I enjoy my life here, and I enjoy serving you. As much as I appreciate your offer, it is rather ingrained in me to call you Miss.”

“I just want you to be comfortable, Cora. I don’t see you as a servant. I would like to think we are friends.”

Cora smiled. “I like that, Miss Adelina. I will be back in thirty minutes to help you with your hair.”

Cora left and I removed my clothing. I stood a moment before the mirror, amazed that less than an hour earlier I had a broken nose and ankle. I had no pain, bruising, or any evidence I had been run over by a herd of wild animals.

I tried not to linger at the mirror for too long. I had a new life and I needed to move on and accept what and who I had become. I moved to the bath and slipped under the hot, steamy water. Having a hot bath was a luxury I had only had twice before in my life.

I found soap on a table next to the bath and began a slow and deliberate wash of myself. It was the first time I had truly been alone long enough to touch and feel various parts of my body.

All the darklord women were remarkably beautiful and lean and I was no exception. While I had generous breasts, I had a very narrow waist. I could feel my taut and strong muscles just under my flawless skin. As I bathed, I explored my feelings and found nothing had changed for me. I was still drawn to women, and I had no desire to be with a man. This revelation was somewhat comforting, even if culturally female relations were forbidden. There did not seem to be any hesitation from the women here to suggest two women being together would be wrong.

Like a good soldier, I managed to stay focused on my own survival. With imminent death no longer an issue, I dwelled upon the enormity of changes in my life. In days I had been transformed into the opposite gender and confronted with a worldview radically altered from what I had been living. Emma’s attention and protection of me fed my new internal narrative and bit by bit was molding me into something much different than I was before.

The pressure I had felt as leader of the hunters was gone. Although I was smaller and a woman, I found immense freedom in allowing my emotions loose. When someone suggested they desired me, not only did it make me feel that I was not the hideous monster I had imagined I was, but it also filled me with warmth.

 

***

 

“I think you are ready, Miss Adelina.”

“Remind me to castrate the man that invented the corset.”

“I am afraid you will need to wait in line for that honor. Now, head up, shoulders back, and try not to trip.”

“You have been colluding with Saida.”

“Colluding would suggest something nefarious. We have only the best of intentions, Miss.”

I entered the main room and dipped in greeting like Saida had taught me.

“Right on time, Adelina.”

“Cora has good time management skills, Gavroche.”

“Dinner is ready. Let’s eat.”

Once we were all seated and the food had arrived, Gavroche began discussions.

“Update me on your progress with Adelina, Alastor.”

“I failed to lure Adelina into my bed.”

Emma elbowed Alastor.

Alastor laughed. “On to lesser important matters such as her dark abilities. We still have work to do on her focus, but we all saw the strength of her compelling and it is clear she can communicate. Her ability to vanish or phase needs much more training.”

Gavroche leaned back in his chair. “I need Adelina to be able to communicate to any one of us from a significant distance.”

“Andrew. Do you have any new information about the hunter request for support from the king?”

“My sources all say the same thing. The king is now deferring decisions regarding the military to his son, Prince Phillip. The prince is setting aside some time to speak with the hunter representative during the summer festival ball. That is in five days. There is more. It appears the royal family has a new advisor. The palace is making security changes based upon the new advisor’s recommendations. Security changes that include access to the palace to daytime hours only and silver tests.”

Gavroche grimaced. “We need to get ahead of this. Adelina, I need you to see your sister in two days and you will attend the ball in five. This means we need to focus on your dark traits for communications and your own protection and you must pass for a woman of high society to get you before the prince.”

I coughed. “You want me to go to the ball? To meet the prince?”

Edmund chuckled. “There will be several hundred people there. Adelina will need to make a statement to get on the prince’s dance card. She might need to learn to flirt.”

“Dance and flirt? With the prince?”

Saida smiled. “I have the perfect dress. You might not have to speak much.”

“Why me?”

Gavroche shrugged. “None of us can approach the palace in daytime or be touched by silver without giving ourselves away. We can’t let the prince decide our fate upon the hunter’s representation alone.”

“I have been to one ball. One. And I wasn’t wearing a laced-up prison cell and enough fabric to create drapes for a country estate. I worked for the king, and I could not get anywhere near the royal family. All communications back and forth were handled by messengers. There is no way I will get near the prince with every eligible woman in a hundred miles vying for his attention.”

“She doesn’t know.”

I looked at Emma. “I don’t know what?”

“How spectacularly beautiful you are. You just need to show up and the prince will seek you out.”

Austra giggled. “You made Adelina blush.”

“Let’s assume on the remotest chance I get to speak with the prince. How am I supposed to normalize what we are?” I waited for a response and no one spoke. “You have been planning to integrate into society. You have soirees every night to practice. You must have some plan formalized?”

Emma opened her mouth, then shut it.

“How long have you been working in this?”

“Twenty-three years.”

I stared at Alastor. “You have been planning this since I was three years old.”

Austra giggled again. “Emma, did you know you were trying to win the heart of a child? She is just a babe.”

Emma blushed. “Hush, Austra.”

“In all fairness, Adelina. We have established businesses and have a large network of informants.” Edmund sat up proudly.

I looked at each of them. “Humor me. Dagon, ask me to dance.”

Dagon looked sheepish. “This isn’t some deceivery to break my manhood?”

“Deceivery isn’t even a word, Dagon, and your manhood will be perfectly safe as long as it stays inside your pants and away from me.”

“It’s rather large and it might… uhm… I mean if you were that close…”

I looked around the table. “Alastor… No. Not you.”

Alastor tossed his hands out. “What?”

“Andrew. You hate me and won’t have the same problem as Dagon or Alastor. Ask me to dance.”

“I don’t really hate you anymore. It’s more of a slight irritation.”

“Can you keep that thing between your legs contained enough to demonstrate how dancing and conversing with the prince will appear?”

“With you?”

“Yes. With me.”

“No… I don’t think so. Maybe with Austra. She’s like my ugly sister. You’re too new and exciting and…”

Austra smacked Andrew. “I’m your what?”

“I’ll do it!”

Everyone stared at Emma.

“I will act as the prince. I think this is good practice and to be honest, Adelina is right. We have not thought this through. And, just for the record, I have nothing between my legs that can… well, you know.”

Emma stood and came to stand next to me. “May I please have this dance, beautiful lady?”

“The pleasure will be all mine, your highness. Might I add you look exceptionally dashing tonight?”

“Why thank you, my lady. And I will state there is no finer woman here tonight.”

Emma extended her hand, and I took it. I stood.

“Such a compliment, but I should warn you that your mother must always hold that esteemed place.”

“You are so very correct and kind to be considerate of her. Perchance may I be so bold as to ask your name?”

“Adelina, your highness.”

“A beautiful name for a beautiful woman. Adelina…?”

“Dufort.”

“Our very own hunters are led by a Dufort. Are you any relation?”

Emma bowed and I curtseyed. She held out her hand and I took it. I stared into her blue eyes as her other hand slipped around my waist pulling us together in a pile of silk and chiffon.

“A cousin.”

In my periphery, I could see the others standing to watch us. The human band was ushered in and started playing music.

“Are you from around here? I only ask because I am certain I would have noticed you before.”

“Yes, I am. I am kept well-hidden for my job as a scullery maid.” I added a smile. I had not really stared into Emma’s fathomless eyes before.

“That is not possible. You are too beautiful and intelligent for that type of work.”

“Get on with it you two.”

Saida nudged Dagon. “Shush. This is good. Better than theater.”

“You flatter me, your highness.”

“No amount of flattery or praise could ever match the vision I see before me.”

We danced back and forth, and I was surprised I wasn’t focusing on my feet. “I must apologize, your highness. For I came here tonight hoping to speak with you about matters that are very dear to my heart. It is unfair for me to take you, even for a moment, away from your citizens and the dozens of ladies waiting breathlessly for a chance to share a moment of your time.”

Austra sat down on a couch and leaned forward, her eyes locked on us.

“There are ladies waiting breathlessly for me?”

“All over this room, your highness.”

“I haven’t noticed them. From the moment you entered the room, all I have seen is you.”

“Mmmm.” Austra mumbled. “So sweet.”

I was blushing. Emma’s thumb made small circles in my palm.

Emma leaned in close. “I have you flustered. I’m sorry. Tell me what you wanted to say to me. It is of great interest to me.”

I had this image in my head of wanting to kiss her and Juliet running me through with a sword. I struggled to focus on what I needed to do.

“My family would like more opportunities to reside and work within the community.”

“I would like to think everyone already has that opportunity.”

“Not so, your highness. At least not for my community. We are not well received and there are factions that seek to actively eliminate us.”

“How can this be?”

“Please understand that there is great danger to me even mentioning this to you. A moment from now, you may wish to end my life.”

“I would never do that to you, Miss Dufort.”

“What if I told you I was hunted? Considered a monster?”

“You are not a monster.”

“I am a nightwalker.”

“You are not a nightwalker. My guards would have recognized you when you arrived.”

“By the tone of your voice, you are aware of the reputation of the nightwalkers.”

“I am, indeed.”

“There are many of us that are not the ruthless creatures you are accustomed to. They do not wish harm to anyone. They desire to live their lives in peace and as a part of the community.”

“You jest with me, Miss Dufort. You are not a nightwalker. Your eyes do not glow by the firelight.”

“Watch my mouth.”

I focused on Emma’s neck and her pulsing artery. My fangs descended.

“Guards!” Emma shouted.

I let go of Emma and curtseyed. “Thank you for the dance, your highness.”

Gavroche clapped. “Very well done, Adelina and Emma.”

“I failed. As I expected to.”

“You didn’t fail. The ball is not the right venue for you breach that topic.”

“At least we agree on that. I don’t need to go then. That’s a relief.”

“You must go to the ball. You need to win your way into the heart of the prince. When he is enraptured by you, then you tell him what you are. The outcome we want is for you to gently guide the prince away from using his army to attack us. Demonstrate your knowledge of the nightwalkers. Remind him of the humanity in us.”

“I think that is even worse. I don’t want to capture the heart of the prince, not that I could.”

Emma looked a little flushed. “I know you could, Adelina, even if I would despise every second of your time in his presence. You… you wanted to bite me.”

“It’s what I thought about to make my fangs come out.”

Austra chuckled. “Can you do that with me, Adelina?”

Emma hissed. “Enough, Austra. I have a different idea for Adelina and the prince. As a Dufort, Adelina could be a researcher of nightwalkers. In her research, she has come to believe we are not all hideous monsters and would like to invite the prince to see us firsthand. As a step of faith, she can give the prince some silver water so he would remain protected during the meeting.”

I nodded. “I like that idea.”

Gavroche grinned. “An excellent idea, Emma. By offering advice and knowledge of us, Adelina can show her alignment with the prince, and he will still fall for her. Edmund. You are to teach Adelina additional fighting techniques. Hand to hand and with weapons. The goal is to improve her skills and not take a beating like she does with Dagon. Austra, you’re up.”

Austra held out her hand. “Come, Adelina. I will take you to the night garden where we can sit and talk.”

Emma clenched her teeth. “Father, I can teach Adelina about our lore and history.”

Gavroche shook his head. “Adelina needs to spend time with each of you.”

“All right, but there is no need for Austra to…”

“Enough, Emma.”

Emma’s protectiveness over me was heartwarming. I suspect Austra was merely trying to get under Emma’s skin.

I pulled my hand away from Autra’s. “Is there a library you could show me? Perhaps we could talk there.”

“Of course, Adelina.”

I followed Austra out. When we came to the library, she sat down in a leather chair and pointed to another next to her.

“Since it appears nightwalker relationships are on the menu tonight, let’s begin there. If you have not figured it out already, we tend to be highly sexual. Much more so than our human counterparts. We have a natural desire to indulge, especially with someone new, like yourself. We are sterile and can’t reproduce with our own kind or with humans. We can only turn a human to increase our numbers.

“We have determined that shades and ravagers have no limitations to turning humans like the rest of us. They can turn as many as they get their teeth into.”

“Why is that?”

“We believe it is due to the dilution of the curse. The further from the source, Father, the less humanity those turned have. They show less power and there is nothing in their spirit that limits turning others.”

 “Which is why ravagers and shades need to be kept in check.”

“Correct. Let’s start with the ravagers. When a ravager or shade turns a human, that person will become a ravager if they survive. Ravagers are soulless beings. It is our belief that if the curse were to ever end, they would remain as they are. They listen to our commands but have no thought other than to feed.”

“Why not just kill them and the shades to end the war?”

“If it were only that simple. Part of our curse is that we cannot willingly kill each other. If one of our children dies, then we have an urgency to reproduce through finding another victim to turn. Even though we can’t kill them ourselves, there is the additional benefit that they provide a buffer between us and humans. Your hunters rarely encountered a specter, darkling, or a darklord.”

“Maybe we can’t kill each other but we can beat each other senseless like Dagon does to me.”

“I admit, there has been a certain satisfaction in seeing you in pain. Duforts are not well liked by us, but you have helped reduce the number of ravagers and shades. They are like a plague.”

“Satisfaction… At seeing me broken and mangled? Maybe I am wrong about you all and we all need to be destroyed.”

“The desire to turn someone is hideous and rife with guilt. So many humans will die before we turn a single person and the desire to turn magnifies over time. It is unbearably painful to resist. When you or the hunters kill a shade, the specter becomes driven to turn someone new. Seeing you suffer at first made me believe in justice.”

“At first, but not now?”

“No… I realized that like it or not, you are one of us now. We are family, in a way.”

“Why don’t you simply command the shades and ravagers to not feed?”

“We tried that. It only led to increased deaths and turnings. Once the shades and ravagers get too hungry, they can break free of our control and go on a rampage, killing and feeding off more people than if we limit them to feeding in smaller amounts over time. We can’t kill them, and we can’t stop them from feeding.”

“What about humans that choose to be fed from? Can’t they be used to hold the feeding lust at bay?”

“Not with shades and ravagers. They can’t stop themselves when they feed and for humans being fed by anyone other than a darklord, darkling, or specter is painful.”

“Gavroche had a ravager attack me and yet I was able to kill it.”

“It might mean you are immune to the curse that prevents their killing, but you were also under attack and that is a different circumstance.”

“Who controls when ravagers feed?”

“That is left to the specter. They monitor the needs of their shades and ravagers and plan accordingly.”

“It almost sounds like you have an organized structure of responsibilities.”

“We do. Father has ultimate authority and oversight and is responsible for the vision and strategy of all of us. He provides our home. The darklords each have their own businesses and unique areas of responsibilities. I oversee food. Emma oversees workers and those that wish to be used as feeders. Dagon oversees security. Saida manages the household, including furnishings and maintenance.

“There are more roles that include our liaisons and spy network. Darklings act as our business associates with humans and oversee our commerce.”

“I never fathomed nightwalkers would have such organization.”

“When you live together for hundreds of years, it organically evolves, and each person’s gifts are identified and used.”

Emma entered the library. She looked nervous. “I can take Adelina to Andrew now.”

Austra’s eyebrow raised. “So soon, sister? We barely scratched the surface. I dare say, there was real chemistry between you two during your dance together.”

Emma blushed and held out her hand. “Come, Adelina.”

Austra giggled. “Run along, you two.”

Emma pulled me through the castle and to a large glass-covered courtyard. The moon was bright and the garden within the courtyard was like a fantasy. Flowers, the likes I had never seen before, bloomed all around us.

Still holding my hand, Emma pulled me to the center where several benches were. We sat down next to each other. She stared into my eyes.

“This is my favorite place in the whole world. With our enhanced night vision, the garden is so colorful even in the dark. It reminds me of everything that was taken from me and gives me hope for my future.”

“I never expected so much beauty.”

Her fingers touched my cheek. “I can’t stop thinking about you. My sworn enemy. Ever since you turned…” She pulled her hand away. “How are you, Adelina?”

The moonlight made Emma’s eyes glow amber. “That’s a very hard question to answer.”

“Of course. Sorry for asking.”

“No. I appreciate you asking me. Juliet never asked me how I felt. I’m struggling. I don’t feel like I belong here and every day I have been beaten and abused. I understand that I was blind to the plight of the nightwalkers and never questioned my duty to hunt you all. I’ve been turned into a creature I know little about. I am afraid for my family and myself. I’m lost, Emma.”

“How can I help you?”

“Why are you being kind to me? How do I know you are not misleading or trying to manipulate me? You ordered the ravager to attack me.”

Emma stood and turned away. “I’m not like the others, Adelina. I was sent to capture you because none of the others would have left anyone alive. We believe you were key to the curse being lifted, but I knew killing everyone you were with would make you hate us even more.

“I was the first turned by Father. I was on a bridge and was going to commit suicide. Father caught my arm as I leapt, bit me, and in a complete surprise to him, turned me. Even after I turned, I hated myself. I still wanted to die, especially after I turned my seven. For hundreds of years, I have mourned those I killed and the death that I could never have.

“I became a wraith in person and in my emotions. To live, I had to find a way to block my feelings. I turned to lust and as my siblings were turned, indulged in them. I abused my powers and forced humans, darklings, and specters to satisfy me. I watched in jealousy as my siblings found love, but then smiled when their lovers shriveled and died.

“I came to realize what a horrible person I was. In my own pain, I caused suffering in those around me. About one hundred years ago, I had an epiphany of sorts. I longed to find peace for my soul. I tried to make amends. I stopped having sex and focused on helping others. I educated myself and read everything I could find. My goal had become freeing myself from the curse. I craved the touch of sunlight and desperately wanted to feel its warmth on my skin again. My hatred was displaced by a deep desire to make a difference.”

She turned back to face me. Her eyes brimming with tears. “You have no good reason to trust me. I captured you. Was a part of turning you. I commanded the ravager to attack you because I was ordered to do so by Father. I can’t resist his commands. It pained me to order the ravager to attack you. There’s more, but you don’t need to hear it.”

“I do.”

Emma shook her head.

“I can’t imagine what you have gone through, Emma. My brief, fleeting existence seems so insignificant. Even my pain and suffering feel trivial. A part of me wants nothing more than to hate you. Yet, when I saw the anguish in your eyes when I stood in the sun… I have never seen such pain and loss before. It broke my heart. I want to ease that pain. I want to see you free.”

Emma sniffed. “I don’t deserve to be set free. I deserve death.”

I shook my head. “No, you don’t. But I would give my life so that you would have a chance at living and to feel the sunlight on your skin again. If anyone deserves death, Emma, it is me. My hatred was blind. How foolish I have been to not know my own enemy.”

 

***

 

“You missed your time with us, Adelina.”

I glanced up from the chair I had curled up in. After realizing the depth of my own failures, I left Emma alone in the night garden. I was despondent.

Saida, Edmund, and Alastor stood together.

“I thought you were all in, Adelina. We need to work with you.”

I ignored them. Dagon showed up and dragged me to the larger room. Gavroche was there as were the rest of his children. All but Emma.

Dagon nudged me with his foot. “Adelina appears to be consumed by self-loathing or self-pity. She has not spent time with any of us today.”

I could barely lift my eyes to look into Gavroche’s. I curled up on the cold stone floor.

Dagon kicked me again, this time harder. “I can still fight her. She should be beaten for ignoring you, Father.”

The doors burst open, and Emma entered. “Don’t touch her! Any of you! Can’t you see she is broken? Do you not remember when you came to realize the cursed monsters you had become?”

“We’re close, Emma. So close.”

I could feel Emma’s anger as she stepped towards Gavroche.

“When did we become gods to dictate the fate of another person? We cling to our humanity, putting on airs to make ourselves believe we are something other than we are. Don’t you see it? We have lost the most important part of ourselves. We have lost the key to who we once were. In our quest to undo the curse, we have consumed and destroyed ourselves, giving up the last shred of our own humanity. When did we start believing that our fate was more important than anyone else’s?

“We are cowards, and we deserve death! Adelina confessed to me she has been blind. Blind about who we are and how we came to be. She realized her life was a lie. She feels the incredible burden of the destruction she has caused. We should have met with her. We should have tried to help her understand us. Instead, we chose us over another her. We have taken everything from her. Everything! We are not worth saving.”

Gavroche stood and waved everyone back from me. His footsteps echoed through the room as he approached me. I flinched when his hand touched my back.

“Emma is right. I brought this upon myself, and it was my own actions that have cursed you all. It was my greed that set the wheels in motion. Every death by every one of us and those that were killed by the hunters is my fault. Adelina, I give you one final command. You are no longer bound by me. No longer need to heed my commands. You are free. Free to live your life, such as it is. For what it is worth, I’m sorry.”

He pulled me to my feet.

Saida touched Gavroche’s arm. “Emma is wrong, Father. You gave us a life worth living.”

Gavroche ran his fingers through his hair and shook his head. “No, Saida. She is not wrong. I did intend to give you a life worth living, but the cost… It was and is too high. We gave up our compassion and empathy. We forgot how to love. So many lives were lost and destroyed. It’s over.”

He turned to me. “I will give you anything you need to live a life of peace. Enough money to buy your own estate so you can live comfortably the rest of your days.”

There was a long silence.

I pulled in a shaky breath. “It seems today is a day for introspection. I’ve done a lot of that lately. The harsh reality is the only path forward, the only way anything can be made right, is with the curse removed. I’m struggling with my place and as much as I would like nothing more than to find someplace to disappear for a few years, doing that will accomplish nothing. At the end of the day, none of you will be able to stand in the daylight, the ravagers will continue to feed and destroy lives, and I will still be who I am.

“I need to make amends for my own life and what I have done.” I looked at Emma. “I made a promise I intend to do my best to keep. I apologize I have been self-centered. I just…”

Emma interrupted me. “You don’t need to apologize for being self-centered. Gods. We destroyed your life and transformed you into a woman. I think you are entitled to some time to contemplate what you have gone through.”

Gavroche paced. “Take the time you need, Adelina, but if you want to help us then I want you to be as safe as possible. Your ability to become invisible and phase is critical. I think you also could use some closure. I can only imagine how much you must be thinking about your family and knowing how worried they are about you. Rest up today, then train tomorrow. The day after that, I want you to go to your family.”

I nodded. “I need that closure. I have no idea how I will convince them I was Elias.”

I left them and walked back to my room. Cora was waiting for me.

“Is there anything you need, Miss Adelina?”

“Just a little time alone. Thank you, Cora.”

She pointed to her head. “Call me if you need me. There is something on the table for you.”

She exited the room as I moved to the table. A large bouquet of flowers brightened the place. A handwritten note was beneath them.

‘Adelina,

Enjoy the flowers I picked for you from our garden. You are not alone. I’m sorry for what I have done to you. I hope in some way, someday, you might forgive me, but I know that is asking too much.

Emma.’

I focused on Emma and sent her a reply. “No one has ever given me flowers before. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Adelina. There are some chocolates and some wine as well. Will we be expecting you for dinner?”

“I will be there.”

“Good. A warning about wine… If you want to forget things by drinking in excess, you might need four or five bottles of wine. I have tried that several times in my life and wound up spending more time relieving myself than I did losing my inhibitions.”

“That’s a shame. How will I get you drunk?”

“Why would you need to get me drunk?”

“If I…”

“Gods… I can sense you blushing right now.”

“I’m not blushing.”

“Liar. I will see you at dinner. Save a spot on your dance card for me.”

I focused on Cora and asked if she could help get me ready for dinner in a few hours then turned my attention to the wine and chocolate. I just poured myself a glass when Cora entered the room.

“I wanted to let you know I got your message, Miss Adelina. Would you like a bath before getting ready?”

“I’m fine, Cora, but thank you. Would you like some wine and chocolate?”

“I shouldn’t, Miss.”

“Please. Have some with me.”

“Certainly, Miss Adelina.”

I poured Cora a glass and let her sample the chocolate before we sat down.

“May I ask your advice, Cora?”

“Advice? From me?”

I nodded.

“I’m not certain my advice would be helpful, but I am willing.”

“Did you know who I was before?”

“Everyone knew Elias Dufort, Miss. We humans have no love lost for shades and ravagers and you led the team that kept them in check.”

“A day from now, I might visit my family. How do I explain what happened to me?”

Cora took a large sip of wine. She held the wine in both hands and stared at the glass for a while before looking up at me. “I would suggest the truth. It is either that or lie to them. If you lie, then neither you nor them will be at peace because you will remain concerned that they are worrying about you and they will continue to wonder if you are dead, or worse. If I were them, I would be frantic. You must think about outcomes. What are you hoping to achieve by visiting them?”

“You are a wise woman, Cora. I guess what I would like to see happen is that they don’t worry about me and that they would not put others at risk by trying to save me. It would also be good to validate if my father volunteered to be turned to help end the curse.”

“They might not know that.”

“What do I do if they reject me or wish to kill me because I am a nightwalker now?”

“How they respond is not your concern, Miss. That is out of your control. All I can suggest is that if they truly loved you, they would find it in their hearts to make sure you are safe and cared for.”

“You make this all sound so easy.”

“Forgive me, Miss. I do not mean to make light of the situation. You will be walking into the lion’s den. People you know, love, and care about will be there and yet they will not know you. It might be difficult to get them believe the extraordinarily beautiful woman before them was their son and brother.”

“Then there is Juliet.”

“Juliet?”

“She was a hunter soldier. We were… intimate. The last time I saw her she told me she would kill me if I was turned.”

“Oh my. Avoid her, Miss. Let your mother or sister tell her about you after you are gone.”

“I feel somewhat bound to her. I need to know…”

“That you would be lovers again? Miss Adelina, there are no good outcomes for your relationship with her. In here, women form bonds with other women, but in the world outside of these walls, people are burned at the stake for such crimes. The best you could hope for is to remain friends.”

“You are a big help, Cora. Thank you.”

“Any more wine, Miss, and I might not be able to help tie up your corset.”

“Please, have another glass.”

 

***

 

Dinner had been rather subdued, but this was the first time I stayed for the entire social time. I even danced with everyone. The following day, I met with Austra to gather more information on history and lore. Edmund showed me just how rudimentary my fighting skills were compared to someone that had trained for hundreds of years and with more styles of fighting than I knew existed.

Saida taught me dances and additional intricacies of acting and behaving as a proper woman. I was grateful that my new nightwalker skills included learning things quickly and I was infinitely more graceful than I had been.

Alastor was very pleased that my ability to focus was steadily improving and I could communicate with an individual over vast distances. My additional focus allowed me to become invisible for the first time and I even partially phased.

That left fighting with Dagon.

“Where are you, little girl?”

I stood perfectly still, trying to maintain my focus and stay invisible as Dagon hunted around the room for me. With enhanced hearing, he could find me easily if I moved. I waited until he was close, then used a new kick that Edmund taught me.

I connected with Dagon’s thigh with enough force that he toppled over. I leapt to get out of the way hoping that his falling would mask my sound, but I managed to barely move before his hand locked around my ankle.

My invisibility faltered as he flung me across the room, and I crashed into the wall. He was hobbling as he approached me. I tried to phase but seeing him seethe with such raw power and anger unsettled me. I cringed as he jumped and vanished. I rolled to the side only to be kicked in my stomach.

I retched and gasped for air.

Dagon appeared above me. “Nighty night, darling.”

His fist aimed for my head. I gathered my focus and cringed as I waited for the blow, but was surprised to see his hand crash through me into the stone floor. Dagon howled in pain as I rolled away, losing my focus again as I did so. I landed one hit on him after that and woke up cradled in Emma’s lap once again.

“You’re doing better. Isabel is here.”

“Hurray. I’m doing better.”

Isabel’s arm was thrust in front of me, and I fed from her. She moaned with such pleasure it made me flush with warmth. Emma gently sent her away before kissing the blood from my lips.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t ask you if this was all right.”

“It’s rather enjoyable.”

“I could do more things you would find enjoyable.”

Laying there with Emma’s lips near mine and her startling blue eyes filled with warmth made me want to kiss her. I pulled away a bit.

“I’m sorry, Adelina.”

“I feel a connection to you, Emma, but until I am free, truly free, I cannot. I would not want you to think less of me.”

Her hand moved to my chest and rested it between my breasts. “You have a loyal heart, Adelina.”

We stood and I did not know what to say or do.

“Will you have a slot on your dance card for me tonight, Emma?”

Emma’s eyes were moist as she whispered, “Not tonight.”

Emma hurried from the room. She was not at dinner and did not respond to my thoughts when I tried to call her.

 

***

 

I was dressed in a beautiful blue and white gown as Gavroche led me through the tunnels.

“I don’t know what will happen, Adelina. I want you to know that you have a home here. You will always have a home with us.”

“I see no scenario where I stay at the hunter stronghold. I have no money and even the clothes I am wearing are not mine. I am a young woman in a world where women have few opportunities. Where else would I go?”

“I understand if you don’t come back, but I hope you will.”

“As do I.” Emma emerged from one of the other tunnels.

Gavroche smiled and turned away. “Be safe, Adelina.”

We waited until Gavroche was well away before speaking to each other.

“I missed you last night, Emma.”

“I was avoiding you.”

Hearing her say those words hurt me deeply. “I’m so sorry, Emma.”

“You did nothing wrong, and I felt a need to prepare myself. I have no hold on you, Adelina, and you can be swept away from me. There are extenuating circumstances you do not need to know about right now and I do not want to further confuse you.”

“Now I am completely confused.”

“I apologize, Adelina. I am being intentionally vague. Come here, please.”

Emma took hold of my right hand and slipped on a sapphire and diamond bracelet. “A gift. Every beautiful woman deserves some beautiful jewelry.”

“Emma… It must be worth a fortune.”

“A small pittance from what I have accumulated over the centuries.”

“If you are certain, then I will cherish it, not for what it is, but because of who gave it to me.”

Emma pulled me into a tight hug and cupped my face before kissing my cheek. “Return to me, Adelina, not because you have no place else to go, but because you want to.”

I felt a strong tug on my heart towards her, but I was bound in more ways than one to Juliet. The visit to my family was all about closure for me and seeing what my future held.

“Head down the tunnel. There will be a carriage waiting for you to take you to the hunter compound. Be safe, Adelina.”

Her fingers held mine a few extra seconds before letting me go. I was halfway down the tunnel when I heard her voice as the softest of whispers.

“I love you, Adelina.”

By the time I stepped out into brilliant sunshine I determined I must have misheard. I paused a moment, letting the sunshine touch my upturned face. My enhanced hearing picked up the slightest of rustles from the light breeze. I closed my eyes and stretched my focus outward to see the colored silhouettes of humans and animals all around me. I inhaled deeply, taking in the fresh air.

I pulled up my dress a little and stepped up to the road. A man waited next to a carriage. He smiled and bowed, his eyes never leaving my tightly bound breasts. “My lady. Let me help you into the carriage. I have been given instructions to take you to the hunters. Is this still your destination?”

His dirty thumb rubbed the back of my hand as he helped me into the carriage. He repulsed me. For a moment I considered going anywhere else, but the sunlight glinted against the bracelet and reminded me of someone I made a promise to.

I pulled my hand away as quickly as I could. “Yes, please.”

Once I was settled, the man sat up front and loosened the reins of the horse. With a click of his tongue, we headed off.

“What business do you have with the hunters, my lady?”

“It is not your affair.”

“Ahhh. You are one of those.”

“Excuse me? One of what?”

“Rich, elite, high-society women that look down upon people like me.”

“I cannot fathom how you came to that conclusion based upon me keeping my business to myself.”

“My apologies if I have offended you, my lady. From your look, it is clear you have not come from any of the hovels around here. You appear to be more at home in the halls of kings and queens.”

“I will take that as a compliment that my look is acceptable.”

He shook his head and looked back at me. “I would not say acceptable, my lady, for I have yet to lay my eyes upon any woman so beautiful. Fancy a quick romp?”

I didn’t appreciate his leering look or words. Any man would consider his words insulting if they had heard them spoken to any woman. As a woman, it made me feel cheap. “How dare you suggest such a thing. Stop the carriage and get out.”

“I can’t do that, lady.”

I focused my will on him. “Stop the carriage. Get out, go home, and think twice about how you treat women in the future.”

The carriage lurched to a stop. He got out and started walking home with glassy eyes.

I sighed. Continuing the rest of the journey on foot while wearing a large dress was not something I was looking forward to. I struggled but managed to get myself into the driver’s seat and took the reins for myself.

When the hunter compound was in sight, I reined in the horse to stop and consider all that had happened in my life. A feeling of loss shook me. I was not the returning master this time. I clucked and the horse started moving again.

I noted the gates were closed, which was unusual during the daylight hours. Several soldiers came out to greet me.

“State your business, my lady.”

“Can you help me down, please? I have important news for the Dufort family.”

“Why are you driving the carriage, my lady?”

“My driver and I had a disagreement.”

The guard whistled and several more men came out. “Search the carriage. Stay where you are, my lady.”

This was highly unusual.

“The carriage is clean. Step down, my lady.”

They helped me down.

“I have urgent news regarding Elias Dufort. Please take me to his family.”

“Search her.”

“Don’t you dare touch me.”

The gate door opened, and Harmony stepped out wearing her usual dress. What was unusual was the sword on her hip.

“What is going on here?” she demanded.

“Miss Dufort. Stay back please. This lady says she has news of Master Dufort and is refusing to be searched.”

“Let her in.”

“But… she could be hiding…”

“Hiding what? Fifty pounds of explosives under her skirts? A dagger hidden in her bodice?”

“It’s just… the threats… and she was driving the carriage herself.”

“Oh… That makes a huge difference, soldier. Women can’t drive a carriage, is that what you are saying?”

The soldier opened his mouth and Harmony shook her head at him. “Nothing you say will be beneficial. If this lady says she has news of my brother, I want to hear it. Understood?”

“Yes, Miss Dufort.”

Harmony turned to me. “I’m sorry for this. Please. Follow me.”

Once inside the compound, Harmony walked next to me. “Don’t say anything here. My name is Harmony Dufort.”

“Adelina.”

“A very pretty name. Just for the record, why were you driving the carriage?”

“My driver asked me for a romp. I sent him away.”

“I think I like you already, Adelina.”

She led me inside and straight to Mother’s rooms.

“Mother. This lady, Adelina, says she has news of Elias.”

Mother turned and looked at me. The situation was surreal.

“Is he alive?”

“Yes.”

“Oh, thank God!”

Harmony moved closer to Mother and sat her down on the bed. She turned to me. “How do you know this?”

I paced as their eyes followed my every move.

“There is no easy way to say this. I just ask that you listen to everything with an open mind.”

“Why are you hesitating?”

“Because I am Elias.” I blurted out.

Harmony started pulling her sword. “You’re a crazy, deluded, woman! Is this some sick joke?”

I backed up. “I’m Elias. They turned me and this is what I became.”

Harmony shook her head. “You are not Elias. You are no nightwalker. You were in the sunlight and Dufort’s can’t be turned.”

I fell to my knees. “Please. Hear me out. The reason they could turn me is because they drained my blood first. To end the curse, to stop the nightwalkers from feeding on humans, to finish the war, they found a way to turn a Dufort. Me. Elias. I’m a nightwalker now, but because of my lineage, I am also different than other nightwalkers.”

Harmony lunged forward. “I will have you locked away, you crazy woman!”

I focused on Harmony. “Sit down, Harmony. Calm yourself.”

Harmony lowered her sword and sat down. “What did you just do to me? You controlled me. You are a nightwalker.”

“On the day Thad handed leadership of the hunters to me, I met you in the dining room. You curtseyed to me and told me the master must eat his breakfast. I always called you my angel. You…”

Mother stood and moved closer. “She looks like us, Harmony. It’s subtle, but she does.”

“Mother, no… There is no way. We have seen people turned and they never turn like this. Juliet said there was a more powerful nightwalker that took Elias. This could be her. She could have stolen Elias’ memories.”

“Why would I come here if that were the case? What would I gain? Father… did you know he volunteered to be turned? That’s where he was when Christoff and Thad found him.”

“She lies, Mother!”

Mother took a step forward and her hand touched my cheek. “Elias… What have they done to you?”

I wrapped my arms around her waist and clung to her. I wept.

I felt Harmony’s sword touch my throat.

Mother grabbed Harmony’s wrist. “No, Harmony. She is right. Father did meet with a man named, Gavroche. Gavroche claimed to be the leader of the nightwalkers. Your father believed him and offered his life as sacrifice to end the bloodshed.”

“She is manipulating you, Mother.”

“Step back, Harmony.” Mother’s tone was a mix of commanding and yet shaking with emotion.

Harmony moved away as Mother went to a dresser. Mother pulled out a letter and handed it to Harmony.

“I found this letter the day your father died. He wrote it to us in case something happened to him. After everything that happened, I believed it was a setup and hid the letter wanting everyone to believe he died a hero.”

Harmony stared at the letter. Her eyes were wide, and her lips twitched. “Help me believe. How can this woman be Elias?”

“Let her talk.”

 

***

 

I told them everything and answered every question about my past that only Elias could have known. I explained how Gavroche was Nathaniel, a Dufort, and how the curse began. I left out the details of how I was tortured and beaten. It would do no good to share that.

“My God… You really are Elias.” Harmony threw herself into my arms. We cried together.

After several minutes, we separated.

“Look at you. A woman. A woman wearing a corseted dress. A woman more beautiful than the queen herself. A nightwalker. I struggle to believe it all. Why come here? Why risk your life?”

“You are a part of my life. My family. I did not want you to worry. Yes, I changed, but I am alive and healthy. Gavroche believes that to end the curse, the bloodlines must be united. This has something to do with the original witch’s spell that required that Gavroche kill Edward as a sacrifice. My turning is the binding of the bloodlines of Edward and Nathaniel. I carry the blood of both and Gavroche believes I am what the original spell was intended to create. An immortal human with gifts that would allow someone, himself, to be undefeatable and to rule.

“The second of three things to break the curse, was for two siblings to unite. The curse was spoken when Celestine was dying from her wounds. She caused enmity between the bloodlines. If you can find it in your heart to accept me, that becomes one more step in breaking the curse. I came to see if that was possible. Also, I would not want anyone injured, killed, or turned trying to rescue me.”

“Of course I accept you. Is the curse now broken?”

“There is one final piece. Celestine must die and yet we are not sure if she even lives.”

“What will you do now? Will you stay here with us?”

I shook my head. “If anyone were to discover what I am, I will be hunted. I am in no real danger staying with them. I am well cared for, and I can learn a great deal. They are very human in many ways, and I want to learn if there is a way to stop the spread of shades and ravagers.”

Mother shook her head. “I hate to see you with those savage creatures.”

“The ravagers and shades leave me alone and I can command them. The rest are quite civilized. You might be surprised to know humans work with them and the nightwalkers are very proper and well educated.”

Harmony giggled. “Which is why you are dressed in one of the finest gown I have seen. I must warn you; Juliet and Thad are trying to get the king to kill you all. There is no stopping them. Juliet has become… unstable in her behavior. I think she loved you in the only way she could, but your being captured was more of a catalyst for her. Mother and I have no say as Thad has become master here again and Juliet has his ear.”

“I hope we can avoid a war. There would be so many killed. You can’t imagine the power they have. A darkling might be worth ten soldiers in a battle. A darklord? A hundred.”

“And if it came to war, who would you fight for?”

“I don’t know. It was not my choice to be turned. I fought it all the way. Yet here I am. A woman. A nightwalker. My goal is to use what has happened to me to help end the curse. If we can stop the ravagers and shades from turning more people forever, that is my goal, whatever it takes. Too many people have lost their lives already.”

Harmony touched my cheek and held my hands. “How are you? You’ve become a second-class citizen now that you are a woman.”

“I’m learning my place. These corsets are abominable.”

Harmony giggled and hugged me. “I know. I love you, Adelina… my sister. I always wanted a sister and now I have one.”

Mother hugged us both. “I despise what was done to you, Elias… Adelina. A mother never wants to see her children hurt. I am grateful you came and know you are at least well. You should leave here soon. There have been anonymous threats that we will be attacked. The soldiers are fearing nightwalker spies might come to take Harmony.”

“I was surprised at the zeal of the soldiers when I arrived. I know of no plot within the nightwalkers, and I would never allow that to happen.”

Harmony patted her sword. “The threats are why I am wearing a sword now. You are a woman. How can you protect us if anything could happen?”

“I am far stronger and faster than I ever was before. I could…”

The door burst open and Juliet stormed in. She drew her sword and pointed it at me. “Get away from them!”

Harmony stepped between us. “It’s okay, Juliet.”

Juliet shook her head. “No. The soldiers told me a woman came with information on Elias. He is lost. Dead at best. It is a ploy.”

“I thought so too, Juliet. Elias is not dead. This is Elias. They turned him.”

Her eyes narrowed as she stared at me. “No. She has enchanted you to believe her.”

“It’s true, Juliet.” Mother hugged me. “This is my son, now my daughter. Put your weapon down.”

Juliet shoved Harmony aside and pressed the point of her blade against my neck. Harmony shouted for her to stop.

Mother cried out. “Juliet don’t make this mistake. This is Elias. The same person that sacrificed his life for yours in the tunnels.”

Juliet stared into my eyes. “I don’t care if you are Elias or not. You are one of them.”

“I am Elias. I am doing everything I can to stop bloodshed and to put an end to…”

She hissed. “You don’t get to speak. You have no rights here! I should kill you outright. I said as much in the tunnel. You are dead to me! You are nothing but a monster and I will not stop until you and the rest of your kind are in pieces at my feet. Get out! For the sake of these two women, I give you this one chance. Leave now and never come back!”

“Juliet…”

“I am not your Juliet. I never was. You were nothing but a bed partner. You were a convenience to keep me warm at night, nothing more. I will let you walk out of here, get in your carriage, then give you ten minutes before I come after you.”

Harmony grabbed her arm. “This is my brother! This is Elias! He has been turned, but he is not a threat.”

Juliet wrenched her arm from Harmony’s grip and moved to strike her with the back of her hand. I caught Juliet’s wrist before it could connect. I held her firm and when her rage grew, she tried to thrust her sword into my neck. I grabbed her other wrist and pulled her arms apart.

“You never raise a hand to my sister. I’m leaving and I don’t suggest you come after me. Believe it or not, I am on your side.”

She spat at me. “Go!”

I tipped my head to Harmony and Mother. “I love you both.” I let go of Juliet and headed for the courtyard. I just got into the carriage when I heard shouting. I urged the horse to a gallop. I was halfway back to the tunnel entrance when ten soldiers on horseback surrounded me.

“Get out, creature!” Juliet screamed at me.

I stepped down from the carriage as they dismounted. Juliet stepped forward as the soldiers surrounded me.

“Time to die.”

I managed to find my focus and vanished. I was able to phase as I weaved through them, becoming substantial to disarm one, then back again to the next person. I reemerged behind them.

“I am not your enemy.”

The soldiers were stunned.

Juliet cursed. “Attack her!”

“Stop!” I commanded the soldiers. My focus was on all but Juliet. The soldiers all stopped. “Get on your horses and return to the base.”

Juliet seethed as she watched them leave.

“Elias would have been honorable and taken his own life. He would never have let himself become a creature of the night.” She went to reach for her discarded sword.

“Leave it. Come back later after I am gone. I’m sorry, Juliet. I had no choice. It was either your lives and the life of Harmony, or I give myself to them. It was an honorable choice. It was a decision based upon love.”

She pointed at me. “I watched my parents die by ravagers. You are hideous and foul. You may have won this battle, but you will not win the next. You have shown me what I am up against, and I will not fail to rid you and your kind from this world or die trying.”

She mounted her horse and left. I quickly scrambled into the carriage and headed for the tunnels. I ran into them and straight through the castle to my bedroom. I collapsed on the floor and wept.

Seconds later, Emma’s arms were around me.

“Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

I shook my head as she rolled me over and pulled me into her lap.

“I’m sorry, Adelina. I know how hard that must have been.” She stroked my hair. “I’m here. You are not alone.”

I sniffed. “My sister and mother accepted me. It took time for them to believe, but they did. They defended me when Juliet tried to end my life.”

“You killed Juliet?”

“No. But she came after me with ten soldiers.”

Juliet looked me over carefully. “You still look put together.”

“My dark traits are working now.”

“Oh…”

“They are all alive. These were brothers in arms. Juliet was…”

“Your lover.”

“Now, to her, I am just another monster to be mercilessly slaughtered.”

“I am going to do something that is very selfish, Adelina.”

I nodded slowly as I stared into her eyes.

“I told you my story, but I did not share everything. The reason I was on the bridge and going to commit suicide when Father stopped and turned me is that I had been raped. My parents arranged my marriage to a man I despised. He and his family were manipulative, and I suspected they were involved in criminal acts.

“My fiancé refused to wait for marriage, and one night beat me and raped me. When I went to my parents, they blamed me and would not change their minds about the marriage. Father stopped me from leaping to my death, but when I turned, I had such a strong desire to feed. I had become a monster on top of everything that had happened to me.

“When I realized the curse forbade me from ending my own life, I became hateful. As I learned about my newfound abilities, I cast my eyes upon those I hated the most. One night, I found my fiancé in bed with another woman. I tortured him and killed him. I then killed my own parents.

“I have convinced myself that is not who I am and have tried to hide this side of me, but you need to know the truth about me. I’m a murderer. I’m a horrible and monstrous.”

“You are not a monster. Your parents and your fiancé were the monsters. You have a good heart, Emma. I feel it. I know it in the core of my being.”

“I went through a period where I indulged myself, but it left nothing but emptiness inside me. The curse made us infertile, but it did more than that. The ties of love were virtually eliminated. It still happens, but very rarely. Between nightwalkers, a blood bond can exist. It is tangible and only breaks upon death. When I met you in the tunnels the first time, I felt something. I saw something. But you were my mortal enemy. I suppressed it.

“After you turned, it flared to life in me. I could not fight it. I have never known love in my life. Not receiving or giving. But now… I cannot help but love you, and I suspect you might feel the same way about me.”

I nodded in agreement, not trusting my voice.

“When we danced and I acted as the prince, your fangs came out. We do not feed off our own kind, except for those in a blood bond. It is a sensual thing between blood bonded lovers. I am going to win your heart.”

“You already have it, Emma.”

Her lips crashed into mine and my arms pulled her more tightly against me.

“Gods, Adelina. I am so glad after centuries of waiting and hoping that when I found my blood bond it was with someone as exquisite as you. I can tell you I have never made love, but I have had sex. I am, however, rusty, since the last time was over one hundred years ago. I want to take our time. I want to woo you like any beautiful woman should be.”

I pulled her down for another kiss. “And since my last lover wants to kill me, I guess that makes me free to give my heart.”

“I surmised as much. Why don’t you tell me all about your visit, then we need to get ready for dinner. I don’t care what anyone says, you sit next to me, and you are on my dance card all night.”

 

***

 

I felt shy when we entered the dining room together. I paused just inside the door and Emma reached back to take my hand.

Gavroche glanced at our hands together and nodded. “It’s about time. I’m surprised you two haven’t been all over each other before this. Sit. Let’s eat.”

I was still a little bashful. The 1700s, for the modern age it was, would treat two women being together as a mortal sin. I still had that engrained in me. Emma held my chair for me, which I also found odd.

“Just to be clear,” Emma stated. “Adelina is mine.”

Alastor smiled. “I knew it the moment she turned me down.”

“Her fangs coming out as she stared into your eyes was quite obvious as well.” Added Saida.

I blushed. “You don’t… uhm… mind that two women…”

Austra giggled. “I could easily live without men, and it has been a long time since Emma and I shared…”

“Hush, Austra.” Emma might have tried to kick her under the table.

Austra laughed. “You are in for a really good time, Adelina. Unless… You two already…”

Saida chimed in. “We would have heard it.”

Edmund threw up his arms. “This is simply not fair. Adelina’s gorgeous. Couldn’t you two delay your blood bond a century or two?”

“All. Mine.” Emma said between bites.

“On to important matters. How did your visit go, Adelina?”

“My mother and sister accepted me. Juliet wishes to kill me. Thad has taken over leadership and will attend the ball to speak with the prince. They are as adamant as ever to rid the world of nightwalkers even if my mother and sister are now against it. Someone has been threatening the garrison suggesting nightwalker spies will try to infiltrate them.”

“You and your sister are good?”

“She said she always wanted a sister and asked me where she could get a dress like mine.”

Saida nodded. “That’s proof enough for me. Female rivals do not ask where their enemy gets their clothing.”

Gavroche stood. “This is excellent news. The curse is one more step to being broken. No one here would be giving these threats. I suspect someone else is trying to inflame a war. The ball will be in two nights. Are you ready, Adelina?”

“What if I run into Juliet or someone that knows I am a nightwalker?”

“We must assume that Juliet informed Thad, but I have studied human psychology for many years. If Thad knew you were Elias before, I suspect he would not feel the same way about you as Juliet. You fought with him. He respects you.”

“So did Juliet.”

“Unless you and Thad were lovers, I doubt he would feel the same about you as Juliet. Not only did you become one of us, but also a gender she could no longer feel desire for. With Thad, your change could even soften his heart more towards you because of what you went through. No. Juliet might share your description only and not tell the story. I doubt your mother or sister would reveal you to Thad either.”

I nodded slowly. “Juliet abhors gatherings of this nature. I highly doubt she would be there.”

Gavroche took a sip of wine. “And the king has his own guards and would not need the hunter soldiers for the event. If Thad might think you are a nightwalker, he would try to discredit you, but no honorable man would accuse a woman in a public setting like that. However, the sooner you can talk to the prince, the better.”

“I guess we will see what happens.”

“I have also been thinking about how you should introduce yourself. There are too many ties to your Dufort surname. I know this is who you are, but many people know the Duforts and this might create an opportunity for someone to draw conclusions about you. Imagine if Thad were there and overheard you say you were a Dufort. He could immediately denounce you as a fraud. You need a new last name.”

Emma grinned. “DeMonfort.”

Saida raised her eyebrow. “That’s your last name, Emma.”

Emma placed her hand on my thigh.

“Adelina DeMonfort. It sounds good to me but might be confusing if Emma and I were to ever need to be at the same place.” I dropped my hand under the table to hold Emma’s.

Emma squeezed my hand. “That’s true, but if such were the case, then I will go by Emma Chapman, which is an alias I have used in the past. I like you roaming the world as a DeMonfort.”

Gavroche leaned forward in his chair. “You have twenty-four hours to train, Adelina DeMontfort. Make the most out of them.”

“I will.”

 

***

 

I awoke to warm lips being pressed against mine.

“Good morning, love.”

My eyes widened at the sight of Emma. Her long hair was unbound and cascaded over her breasts. She was wearing a thin white nightgown that exposed much of her beautiful body. She pulled it up slightly as she sat on the edge of the bed, uncovering her perfect legs.

“Mmmm. Is this part of training?”

“No. It’s part of me taking care of you and treating you specially. I brought you breakfast.”

I slid my fingers into her hair and pulled her down next to me for a kiss. Her leg draped over my thigh, separated only by the covers of my bed. “Does breakfast include food, or is it just you?”

Emma smiled into another kiss as she pulled me tighter against her. “My Adelina is hungry for more than food?”

“You are so beautiful, Emma.”

My hand slid down her back. My fingertips glided effortlessly over the silk. Our kisses deepened. I felt warmth in places I had never felt before. Emma’s fangs grazed against my neck.

She pulled back, breathing heavily. She kissed me gently one more time, then slipped off the bed. “With the gala tomorrow there is more to do for us all to be prepared. I also want to take things slowly. Blood bond, or not, I want you to have no questions or doubts. While marriage is forbidden to us, I see our relationship in that light. I am committed to you, Adelina.”

“Thank you, Emma.” I smiled and took her hand in mine as I slipped from the covers. I kissed her. “Just don’t court me for too long before you make an honest woman out of me. You are too amazing to resist.”

“I’m hard to resist? Try being celibate for a century and having the woman of my dreams in my arms, in bed, and barely wearing anything at all. I don’t plan to keep us waiting long. Father told me to send you to Saida first.”

“More dance lessons and etiquette.”

“You need them, sweetheart.” She giggled. She pulled me to her and kissed me. “I will find you later.”

I watched Emma leave and fought the desire to chase after her and forego my training for the day. By day, it was really night, for all the nightwalkers typically slept during daylight hours. Breakfast was at dusk and dinner a few hours before dawn.

On the table was a variety of food and a single red rose. I brought the rose to my nose even though I could smell it from across the room. I sat down and ate as I contemplated my life, role, and purpose.

The delineation between the sexes were vast. Men provided. Women took care of the household. Women were to always appear feminine. They were considered the fairer, but weaker sex, both physically and mentally. They were not leaders or decision makers.

Had I met Emma under any normal circumstances and life, I would have been drawn to her. As a man, I would have provided for her. I would have courted her. I would have given her gifts and protected her. As a woman, she was doing these things for me. This should have bothered me, but it didn’t.

Cora entered the room. “Good morning, Miss Adelina. Did I see Miss Emma leaving here with a smile on her face?”

“You might have.”

“She’s in love with you.”

“Does that bother you, Cora?”

“Not at all. It’s more common than you think. I know you were one, but if you don’t know this, most men are not great lovers or husbands. Many are abusive. They drink too much. They are rough and demanding. More than one of my lady friends, including myself, has found solace and love in another woman’s bed. To be honest, I prefer it even if it is against the law. Men make the laws to suit their own needs. It would be heavenly if women could reproduce on their own.”

“Had I still been a man, I would have been offended.”

Cora laughed. “The world would be a different place if all men had to be a woman for a year.”

“I assume you are here to lock me into another corset?”

“Yes, Miss.”

“I can guarantee that we wouldn’t be wearing them if the men had to wear them.”

She smiled. “You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. It is your duty to make us all look good in the eyes of our masters.”

I rolled my eyes. “Honestly, men have no idea, do they?”

“Not a clue, Miss.”

 

***

 

“Remember to keep your shoulders back and your chin level.”

I groaned.

Saida tapped my shoulder with a folded-up fan. “Don’t groan at me, Adelina. That is not very lady like.”

“My apologies, Saida. I am still not used to all the expectations.”

“The good news is that you are ready. Our nature allows us to learn quickly, and I have been watching you. Your form is exceptional and only I will pay attention to the finest idiosyncrasies I see. The honorable men will be looking at your eyes, the less than honorable ones will look elsewhere. Neither of those locations will show the flaws in your upbringing.”

“My upbringing was flawed?”

“You were a man.”

I nodded. “This seems to be the theme of the day.”

“I have taught you all the latest dances that are being used today and several which might suggest you had a more sophisticated upbringing in a high-society life. This should be all you need.”

I curtseyed to Saida. “Thank you.”

“You better go change. Edmund is next.”

I headed back to my room and found Emma waiting for me. She greeted me with a passionate kiss.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I am a bit jealous that Cora was helping you change.”

“I don’t mind at all, although it might take longer to get changed.”

 

***

 

“You’re late.”

“My apologies, Edmund. Those dresses take a frightful amount of time to change out of.”

“You’re a woman for such a short time and already becoming deceitful. There are marks on your neck. Am I to assume you got those dancing?”

“It was a form of dancing.”

“Deceit and deflecting in two sentences. Let’s see how good you are with Dim Mak.”

“Dim what?”

“Chinese pressure point fighting style. It is helpful for getting out of holds. Sometimes it is best not to demonstrate your power as a nightwalker, and it is very effective.”

Edmund tossed me a sword. I looked at the fine craftmanship. It was stunning.

“Where is this from?”

“Japan.”

“It’s beautiful. So well balanced.”

“It is also deadly sharp. Come at me slowly.”

I thrust the sword towards him. He stepped to the side, grabbed my wrist, and with a little pressure from his thumb, sharp pain radiated up my arm causing me to drop the blade.

“Show me how to do that.”

 

***

 

After several hours with Edmund, I met with Alastor. As usual, he was sprawled out in his chair making sure his crotch area was exposed. He was drinking a glass of wine.

“Are you comfortable?”

He smirked. “Very. Are you uncomfortable being so near a virile man?”

“Not so much.”

“Your body has needs, Adelina. I have ways of meeting those needs where Emma cannot.”

“You’re taller than me and my room needs dusting. Are you offering to clean my room?”

He stood and moved too close to me. He reached out to trace the line of my bodice. “You know that’s not the need I am speaking about.”

I reached up and held his wrist, found the pressure point with my thumb, and pressed in hard. He screamed like a little girl and dropped the glass of wine from his other hand. I caught the wine with nary a drop spilling. I took a sip as he gasped for breath and held his arm.

“Mmm. Thank you for the wine. It is delicious.”

“Ugh. That was hideous. You’re spending too much time with Edmund.”

“Did I hurt you, Alastor? Edmund said it was considered foreplay.”

“My arm is numb, Adelina, but I have other appendages that can still be used.”

“Edmund showed me a map of touchpoints. There was even one that stopped arousal very effectively. I think I have it memorized. Should we test it?”

He shook his arm. “I think I will pass lest the most important part of my body is unusable for the next month. Perhaps we should move on to the lesson after you give me my wine back, or, better yet, be a dutiful woman and pour me another glass.”

“You really want to go there with me?”

“There are many places I would rather go with you. The bed is just over there.”

I handed him back his wine and he snickered.

“That’s a good girl.”

I put my focus on him and gave him a forceful command. “Go and pour me a glass of your finest wine, Alastor. Hand it to me as a polite servant would.”

I saw him fighting the command, but he got up, found a special hidden bottle of wine, opened it, poured a glass, and brought it to me.

“Your wine, as requested, my lady. It is a pleasure to serve you.”

With the command fulfilled, he regained control.

“That wine is two hundred years old!”

I sipped it. “Oh… this is so good. Good boy.”

He cursed. “I think you have well enough demonstrated your command abilities.”

“I’m not sure I have it right. Shall I try again?”

“No. Emma said you could phase. Show me but hold it as long as you can.”

Within a second, I became nothing but wispy shadows. Two minutes passed and I began to get tired. I shimmered and became whole again.

“Impressive. You can hold that twice as long as any of Father’s children. You will replenish your ability slowly. Think of it as a bucket of water. When fully consumed, you will start refilling the bucket, but without feeding, it could take a day to recover.”

“Now I am drained before I fight Dagon.”

“Oh… I’m sorry, my lady. The point of this exercise was to understand the depth of your power. It never crossed my mind that you would be left vulnerable to Dagon.”

“Lying doesn’t befit you, Alastor.”

“Not so much lying as conniving mixed with a little bit of comeuppance, Adelina.” He smirked. “A little-known fact, and this will pertain to you, is that Father and his first children can pass through walls. They can only do this when they are phased. The rest of the nightwalkers cannot do this. Just be careful to know your limits and make certain you are clear of obstacles before you reemerge. It is great when freeing unjustly imprisoned wine from behind locked monastery doors.”

“You’re a thief.”

“And you are an accomplice for drinking that wine.”

“I have a question.”

“Yes. I am available.”

I rolled my eyes. “Somehow Gavroche spoke to my mind in context of what was happening around me. Was he able to see and hear through my eyes?”

“Father does not have that type of power. For years he had been spying on you, even during the day. We can go outside during the day, but we must be fully covered. It is too risky on sunny days because even reflection of sunlight can harm us. When we have days that are overcast and heavily clouded, that is safest, but we still must be fully covered. Most likely he was on the rooftops listening in and then spoke into your mind.”

“That’s both disconcerting and a relief at the same time. Do you know why he did not try to turn me when I was younger?”

Alastor frowned. “Children do not have the fortitude as an adult. They always die. We also stop aging after we are turned. Even if you survived the turning, you would have remained a child forever.”

“What else do I need to learn?”

“Have you heard of the kama sutra?”

“I have not.”

“We should start on page one and work our way through to the end.”

“A book?”

Alastor nodded. “There is a copy on the shelf over there.”

I found the book and opened it. My eyes widened at the sight of the Asian-styled pictures. I slowly and deliberately put the book back on the shelf.

“I guess we are done here?”

“Oh. I must have misunderstood. While you do have a lot to learn, and that includes what is in that book, there is nothing left for me to teach you regarding dark traits.”

I turned to go. “Thank you for the wine and the education on how to protect myself from advances of unseemly men.”

“Unseemly? You will learn quickly that there are things that only a man can do for a woman.”

“Make them nauseous?”

“Just wait, Adelina. You will come to my door one day looking to have your needs met. It is inevitable.”

I giggled. “We all must have dreams to hope for, Alastor.”

I left his room to him muttering the words, “Insufferable and ungrateful sexy woman.”

As I walked back to my room, I focused on Emma.

“Hello love. I was wondering if I could borrow Isabel.”

“You need to feed? Did Alastor do something?”

I could feel her anger rising. “Not in deed, but I did drain my reserves while testing the limits of being phased. I would not want to fight Dagon without them full.”

“I’m coming instead of Isabel.”

I just entered my room when Emma grabbed me from behind and started kissing my neck. I moaned and spun in her arms.

“I want you to feed off me, darling. We can do it because we are blood bonded, and it should take much less to replenish you than from Isabel.” Emma held out her arm. “Imagine making love to me.”

My fangs descended and I felt a rush of desire. I gently bit into her wrist in a passionate way. I expected the same coppery taste as before, but Emma’s blood tasted like sweet wine. Emma moaned and pressed herself against me. I pulled away and her lips were on mine.

“Gods, Adelina. That felt amazing. How do you feel?”

“You taste so sweet, Emma. You might be addicting. I didn’t take much, but I feel my energy level is full.”

“I like the idea of only feeding off each other. We better get you to Dagon before my willpower goes completely. Kick Dagon’s butt, sweetheart.”

Emma dragged me to the larger room. Gavroche and Dagon were there.

Gavroche tipped his head. “You are early, Adelina. Certainly, you did not learn everything yet from Alastor.”

“I think I have the dark traits figured out. They are not second nature yet. The rest of what Alastor wishes to teach me are more of a sexual nature.”

Emma growled.

“Don’t worry sweetheart. He will never get the chance and since I can control him, he must rely upon his wit and charm to seduce me.”

Emma laughed hard. “He will never get you to bed then.”

“My thoughts exactly.”

Dagon cracked his knuckles. “Let’s get this over with.”

Emma stepped well to the side and gave me a nod. Gavroche sat back in his chair. Dagon rushed forward.

I stood in place and tried hard to keep my focus. This was harder than expected as I was worried about the pain that would be inflicted upon me. At the last moment as Dagon swung his fist, I phased, popped out behind him, and kicked at his legs. My kick went through the air as he phased out of existence, returned to my side with his fist already moving.

My ability to phase was still not second nature and while I tried to phase, I was moving to block him. My block was only partially successful as his fist still hit my shoulder causing me to spin around. He stormed forward just as I regained my focus and phased as he went to grab me. I moved away from him and shifted to invisibility which took far less energy to maintain.

“I see you learned some new tricks, little girl.” He taunted me by moving into the center of the room.

I stayed quiet, phased, then ran at him, using his own tactics against him. I swung my fist just as I stepped from my phase and connected it with his chin. His head snapped back, but he grabbed me as he fell backwards. I tried to phase again but had lost my focus again and was trapped in his lung-squeezing bear hug.

I felt my rib break as he landed on his back with me on top of him. I gasped and struggled, finally remembering Edmund’s training. My fingers found a pressure point and I pressed in. Dagon released me with a howl, and I rolled away.

Dagon spit blood and got to his feet. He flexed his fingers and ran for me, phasing just before he reached me. I managed to phase just as he reemerged. His momentum carried him towards the wall. I unphased and kicked his backside causing him to slam into the wall, then followed with a fist into his ribs. There was a satisfying crack as several of his ribs broke.

He tried to phase but the pain was likely distracting him. He shimmered for a moment, then became solid as I kicked his feet out from underneath him. He fell hard to the stone floor. I phased as he tried to grab my legs.

From the shadows, I whispered. “Good night, Dagon.”

I reemerged and slammed my fist into his face knocking him out.

Gavroche clapped. “Well done, Adelina. You have greatly improved. You still need to work on your focus. Even in pain you should be able to phase or become invisible.” He looked at Dagon as he stirred. “Dagon needs to learn this as well, but he rarely gets hurt when fighting so I gather his skill needs refinement.”

Dagon moaned and struggled to sit up. I helped pull him so he could lean against the wall.

Emma came to my side and held out her wrist for me. “Well done, love. Heal yourself.”

I bit into Emma’s wrist, and she moaned. My rib knit itself back together and my bruises healed instantly. I let go and she kissed me passionately.

Gavroche watched us. “A true blood bond. That is rare and I could not be happier for you both. Dagon.”

Dagon held his jaw and merely nodded.

“Get yourself healed up and be back for dinner. We have some final preparations to discuss.”

Dagon left the room as Gavroche stood.

“You have done well, Adelina. This has been a painful process to go through for you. I’m sorry about that. I hope now that you have a better graps of your skills. I am sure you understand there are few methods that can teach you them quickly.”

“The process is difficult, but pain is a good motivator and is directly tied to my focus. I understand the reasoning even if I would rather have never gone through it.”

“I have asked a great deal of you, much of it without your choice.”

“I still don’t know my place, but I know my purpose.”

Gavroche nodded. “You two should get ready for dinner.”

Emma walked me back to my room. She bit her lower lip and wrung her hands together.

“What’s wrong, Emma?”

“I know it’s early and you are still finding your way, but I would like to think your place is with me. I was even thinking of having you move into my rooms.”

I cupped Emma’s face and kissed her. “I was speaking about my place in the world. I have no question about wanting to be with you. I know you want to move slowly, and under the circumstances, I think that is a good thing. I am not sure moving slowly and moving into your rooms can happen at the same time. I doubt my willpower is strong enough to have you in bed next to me long without wanting to…”

“I am still nervous about you not wanting me, at least not long term. The blood bond is one thing, but I have not felt this way about anyone before. My long-term life plans are to be by your side.”

“And I worry I have nothing to offer you. I have no income. No wealth. I can’t take care of you.”

“I think I am starting to get to know you, Adelina. Being a man, it was your place to be the provider. You still feel that need and I know you will want to contribute even if it was just to keep yourself learning and growing. I have numerous businesses you can run, but also know that I am here to take care of you. I want you to be my beloved wife. I know you can protect yourself, but I want to be your protector and to look after you.”

Emma pulled me into her arms, and it was the most natural feeling to be loved by her like that. Nothing I had ever felt compared.

“I love you, Emma. I am yours.”

“You love me?”

I nodded and she smiled before smothering me in kisses.

 

***

 

I woke to kisses from Emma again.

“It’s almost midday, love. Time to get you ready for the gala.”

I kissed her and pulled her against me. “That’s hours away from starting.”

“It will take hours to get you ready. Saida, Cora, and Isabel will arrive in thirty minutes. Your bath is ready.”

Emma stood and I grabbed her hand. “Stay with me?”

She shook her head but smiled. “If I see you naked, I would not be held liable for my actions, and I can guarantee you that you would miss the gala.”

“Might be worth it.”

“Don’t tempt me, darling. It will do our long-term relationship no good if one or both of us are dead because we could not stop the king from wiping us out.”

Emma kissed me before leaving the room. I got up and luxuriated in the hot bath feeling rather enamored with the sudden turn in my life. Sure, Juliet despised me, but I found something that felt far deeper with Emma. My actions could be ultimately put an end to the centuries-long war and needless ongoing death and destruction. I was well fed and comfortable.

As Elias, I had few choices in my life. I was a leader that didn’t like the responsibility of leading. I ate gruel and third-rate food. My relationships were limited and prospects for a future even worse.

As I washed myself, I could not help but smile at how good I felt as a woman. My conversations had depth and meaning to them, whereas before, fighting and boasting seemed to be the common thread of all my communications.

I hated the corsets and being demeaned as a woman, but I did love being called beautiful, even if it came from the wrong lips, like Alastor or the carriage driver. Where I had hated the idea of being a woman at the beginning, I was now finding my life to be immeasurably better.

I washed my hair and dried it some before getting my underclothes on. Emma came in first to make sure I was properly covered before she let the rest in. For the next two hours I was poked, prodded, and turned into something I could hardly fathom.

I stood before the mirror and gazed at my reflection. I could hardly breathe, partly due to the tight corset, but more from not believing what I saw was me.

“I’m having second thoughts of letting you go, Adelina.”

I glanced at Emma in the mirror before refocusing on myself. My long, chestnut colored hair was intricately woven up, but had longer curled sections then dropped down my right side to the edge of my bodice. My face had been transformed with light makeup to enhance my eyes, lips, and cheeks. I wore a silver gown that was not so wide as the trend was but was so finely wrought that it appeared more as a work of art that glittered in the light.

Emma attached stunning dangling earrings of diamonds and sapphires and a necklace that looked to have come from a queen’s treasury. It too sparkled with numerous diamonds and sapphires. The necklace led my eyes to my generous cleavage and moderately sized collar that fanned out behind my head, much like royals wore, but of less length to not compete with their attire. Long silver lace gloves went from my fingertips to my elbows.

Cora handed me a stoppered glass vial that I slid into a secret sleeve pocket near my right hip.

“I feel like I should curtsey to the queen, Miss. If anyone fails to notice you tonight it will be because they are dead or blind. Just a reminder about the silver water I gave you. This is a very special mixture. Too much silver, and it can poison, too little and it will have almost no effect. Don’t leave the impression with the prince you can just scrape some silverware into water and drink it.”

I nodded. “Thank you, Cora. Thank you all so much. Do all women go through so much effort to go to a gala?”

Saida giggled. “You don’t know how beautiful you are, Adelina. Most women spend half a day getting ready to cover their flaws. We just had to put the finishing touches on you.”

Emma scooted the three of them out. “Stay in contact, my love. It is very hard to let you go. I would kiss you, but I don’t want to mess up your lips. I love you.”

“I love you too. I pray this event will accomplish what we hope it will so we can spend more time together.”

“Gods… I want to make love to you so badly.”

Emma took my arm in hers and led me to the large room. Gavroche and the darklords were all there.

Alastor whistled and the stunned looks in their eyes were enough to suggest I was making a statement.

Gavroche stepped forward and took my hand in his. He brought the back of my hand to his lips. “Be safe.”

“I will do my best.”

 

***

 

Gavroche had arranged for a luxurious carriage to bring me to the palace. The driver was very professional and dropped me at the front steps, promising to stay nearby until I returned.

I was greeted by the king’s guards. One offered a hand to escort me to the entrance. At the top of the stairs, we paused.

“Name please.”

“Adelina DeMontfort.”

“Remove your glove and hold out your hand, palm up, please.”

I slid my arm out of the glove and held out my hand. A few drops of concentrated silver water were put into my palm. The guards watched me carefully. When satisfied I was not burning from the silver, they wiped my hand clean, and I was allowed to replace my glove. They indicated for me to step inside the palace.

I remembered Saida’s training and kept myself poised with my shoulders back and eyes level. A guard stopped me.

“Announcing, Adelina DeMontfort.”

The guard nodded for me to continue. The grand ballroom, which I had been in only once before, was more lavish than I ever remembered. Hundreds of people spoke with each other in small groups. They were all dressed in their finest. Tables were lined with dozens of beautiful food items, all meticulously carved and designed by skilled chefs.

I focused on Gavroche and Emma. “I’m in.”

Emma was the first to respond. “I would give anything to see the faces of those around you when they see you.”

“They are not noticing me at all.”

“Liar.”

She was right, as men and women alike craned their necks to get a better view of me. It was disconcerting.

Gavroche was right to the point. “Is the prince there yet?”

“None of the royal family are in attendance yet.”

“What of Thad or Juliet?”

“I have not seen them.”

“Try to avoid them if you do.”

Emma’s gentle voice warmed me. “I love you, darling. Try to find something to drink, but not too much. It is more to keep your hands from fidgeting. Do you notice the women eating?”

“No.”

“They don’t want to accidentally drop food on their outfits. They will starve themselves all night and eat like horses when they get home.”

“All this food and I can’t eat it.”

“I will feed you when you get home.”

“Home… Hearing you say that fills me with warmth.”

“This long courtship is going to be very short.”

“A woman can only hope. Love you, Emma.”

“Love you. Now go mingle. You need to appear approachable.”

A waiter offered me a glass of wine, which I took. I moved away from the food table to not be tempted.

A man with a mustache and goatee stepped up to me. He reminded me of a French Musketeer. His sword glimmered in the light and his uniform was precisely pressed and cleaned. He bowed and I curtseyed.

“Good evening to you, Miss DeMontfort.”

“Good evening, kind sir. You know my name?”

“From the moment you entered the palace, it was hard to take my eyes off you. I made a note of your name when they announced you. My name is Sir Arthur Callais.”

“I have heard of you. You are captain of the king’s guards.”

He smiled. “How is it that I have not seen you at one of these events before? I would have remembered you had you been to one.”

“I live well beyond the city.”

“Are you by chance related to the historical DeMontfort families? They were one of the ruling noble families before a series of calamitous events decimated them.”

“Sadly, I do not know much about my ancestors.”

“The way you carry yourself and dress, I would have taken you for a noble woman. I dare say, Miss DeMontfort, you put these beautiful women here tonight to shame. What are you here for? Are you looking for a husband, perhaps?”

“I am certain the beautiful lady does not wish to be bored by a common soldier, Arthur.” The man bowed to me. “Let me introduce myself…”

“Sorry…” I said shyly. “You need no introduction. You are Duke Eastman.”

“You see, Arthur. She is well versed in knowing who is who, at least the important ones.”

Captain Calais winced slightly.

“Duke Eastman, you do this fine gentleman a disservice by calling him a common soldier. He is commissioned to protect the royal family and one does not rise to the rank of captain without winning their favor, having strong leadership skills, and a keen mind.”

The captain lifted his chin ever so slightly.

The duke looked flustered and narrowed his eyes at me. “For a moment I thought you might be worthy of an introduction to my sons. I can see I was wrong.”

“I understand how easy it is to misjudge someone by appearances alone. I, myself, misjudged you as I thought you were a man of honor from a distance.”

The duke’s face turned a shade of red before he turned on his heels and left.

The captain chuckled. “You do leave a lasting impression, Miss DeMontfort.”

“I’m afraid I might have offended the duke.”

“He rightfully deserved being put into place and you did it so eloquently.” He tipped his head. “Enjoy your evening.”

I watched him disappear into the crowd. The food table called me. I had never seen such delicacies. I headed back towards the table when I was intercepted by the general of the king’s army. I had met with him several times as Elias and found the man both powerful and humble.

“Excuse me, Miss. You likely have your dance card full for the night, but you can’t begrudge a man for trying to dance with the most beautiful woman here tonight. Some of my soldiers hinted I was too old and out of shape to catch your eye. My name is Sir Charles Harcourt, general of the king’s army.”

I curtseyed to him. “I am Adelina DeMontfort. I am flattered and honored you would approach me, General. How rude of your soldiers to suggest you are no longer virile enough to command the room and garner attention from the women here tonight.”

“Soldiers will be soldiers, Miss DeMontfort.”

“I see them watching us. I would be very pleased to accept your invitation.” I smiled. “Why don’t you send one of your soldiers to me so I can decline his request.”

He bowed and smiled. “You would do that?”

“Of course, General.”

“You are a mischievous woman, Miss DeMontfort. I thought the evening would be stuffy and boring. I will find you once the dance begins.”

“I look forward to it, General.”

I managed to get to the food table and was perusing the food made to look like art when a soldier approached me. He was handsome and fit.

“Allow myself to introduce myself. I am Conner Parry, lieutenant in the king’s army.”

“Adelina DeMontfort. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“Tomorrow I will travel to the king’s southern border where we are having difficulties with a rebellious and troublesome clan.”

It was the age-old ploy many of my own soldiers used to lure women. The sad story would tug on the hearts of romantic women.

“You are brave to go and defend our lands.”

He grinned and stood a little taller. “Indeed, Miss DeMontfort. I may not return, but I will fight all the harder knowing such beauty exists for me to protect. Would you be so kind as to grant a soldier a moment of your time, to send me away with images of your stunning eyes as we dance later tonight?”

The general was watching us.

“I wish I could, lieutenant. Alas the General has taken the last place on my dance card for the night. I could not turn him down. He is such a handsome and fit man, and his presence makes the knees of women here weak.”

He opened his mouth, closed it, turned silently, and moved to find the general. I giggled, identified a particularly tasty morsel I could safely eat without getting crumbs on me, took it, popped it in my mouth without it touching my lips, and nearly swooned at the delicate flavors.

A trumpet sounded and all eyes turned to the raised platform at the end of the ballroom.

“King Alexander d’Ambray, Queen Rosamund d’Ambray, and Prince Galleron d’Ambray.”

I lowered my head and curtseyed low. The women all curtseyed and the men bowed as the royal family arrived.

“Arise and enjoy the festivities.” The king’s voice was loud and clear. The band began to play.

I straightened and caught a glimpse of the prince as he stepped down to join the crowd. I quickly lost sight of him. I had never met him before, but knew he was my age. I had only heard good things about him.

As I scanned the crowd, a tall, elegant woman with black hair sat down close to the queen. I planned to move closer to the royal family when the general appeared before me.

“May I have this dance, Miss DeMontfort?”

“It would be my absolute pleasure, General.”

I handed my wine to a passing waiter, then held out my hand and he led me onto the dance floor. The general bowed and I curtseyed.

“You have made my evening, Miss DeMontfort. My lieutenant has never been turned down before and I have not laughed so hard in a long time when he relayed how you told him your knees were weak in my presence. You are a priceless gem.”

“He was smooth. I will give him that.”

“I now have bragging rights to cherish until my dying breath.”

“Dancing with me is hardly something to brag about, General.”

“Not an eye was turned away from you when you entered. You are, by far, the most beautiful woman here tonight. The gossip is already flying. Everyone wants to know who you are.”

“You will make me blush with such flattery. I am no one special, General.”

“Look around you, Miss DeMontfort. Everyone here tonight thinks there is something special and unique about you.”

I smiled. We danced through the song and when it ended, I curtseyed, and he bowed. I started to move off the dance floor when my name was called.

“Miss DeMontfort?”

I turned and immediately curtseyed. “Your highness.”

In my peripheral vision, I could see the ladies staring at us. More leering at me and hiding their looks of awe at the prince with their fans.

“I would not wish to intrude if you already have a dance partner, but it would be a great honor if I could have this dance with you.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the queen conversing with the black-haired woman. They were staring at us. At me.

“It is I that am honored, your highness.”

He bowed and I curtseyed again. He took my hand in his. We started dancing.

“You got your wish. I am dancing with the prince.” I sent the words to Emma and Gavroche.

“We told you he would find you, Adelina. Make sure he keeps his hands to himself. You are mine.”

“Well done, Adelina. Work your magic.”

I looked up into the prince’s eyes. If any man could stir my heart, this man could and yet I felt nothing. Emma held my heart.

“My friend and captain of the guards told me of this remarkable woman that put Duke Estman in his place.”

“Oh… I’m sorry about that. I didn’t mean to cause any trouble.”

The prince chuckled. “The duke is a pompous ass. The captain told me you defended his honor and that he had yet to lay eyes on any woman as beautiful as you. I had to see for myself. No words he provided scratched the surface of your beauty. A man could get lost in your eyes.”

I blushed. To hear such a powerful man say such things about me, helped me believe a little that they were true. “I see many disappointed faces in the room tonight.”

“Those ladies need to understand while my mother has a say, I will not marry any that I do not approve of. For months they have been trying to get a moment of my time and weaseling into the good graces of my family. Why have I not seen you before?”

“I only recently came to the city, your highness.”

“You’re of noble blood?”

“Not so.”

“But your name. DeMontfort. Once the most powerful of names in all the land.”

“I have little knowledge of my family. My parents were killed when I was young. This jewelry is the only inheritance I have from them.”

“You are not like the other women here.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I mean that as a compliment. You are unpretentious. It is quite refreshing. May I ask what brought you here to the city and to the gala event?”

“I came to see you, but perhaps this is not the right time to discuss such things.”

“To see me? Tell me. What is it you came here to see me about?”

“There is an old adage, know thy enemy.”

The prince paused. “You think I am your enemy?”

“No. Not at all. An ally.”

We started dancing again.

“An ally in what fight?”

“Against the nightwalkers.”

“They are a plague that need to be removed.”

“My father was killed by them. I have made it my life’s work to research them and understand them. I wanted to kill them all.”

“The way you say that makes it sound like you have had a change of heart.”

“I have. I was captured by them and set free unharmed.”

“I don’t understand. They never do that. They are beasts with only one thought. To kill.”

“That is true of the shades and ravagers, but not the rest. I have spent time with their leaders. They seek peace and the end to the curse they are under.”

“You make them sound civil.”

“They are, your highness. You would be surprised to learn they have businesses and work with humans. I never knew this.”

“This is very hard to believe, Miss DeMontfort.”

I was failing. It sounded too fanciful. I thought of Emma and her not ever being able to touch the sunlight again.

“You’re crying.”

“My life was filled with hate. They showed me their plight. They yearn to touch the light and become a part of the community. They have worked for centuries to find an end to their curse and seek help to stop the shades and ravagers. I wish you could see them. To meet with them.”

“I see this means much to you. We could be rid of them all.”

“The elders of the nightwalkers are very human. They are also very strong. I have studied them almost my entire life. I now know why we have never succeeded in eliminating them. The curse needs to be broken before the shades and ravagers are destroyed, otherwise they will repopulate. I have something for you.”

We stopped dancing and I pulled out the vial of silver water. “This is silver water. Nightwalkers will avoid anyone that drinks this. It has kept me safe from them.”

“Miss DeMontfort …”

Screams filled the ballroom. Ravagers entered from all sides. There was at least a dozen of them. Guards rushed to surround us and the king and queen. One guard was slaughtered right in front of me.

“Drink it!”

The prince looked at the chaos and then at me.

“Please.”

He drank the silver water and drew his sword. I grabbed the sword from the mangled guard at my feet. I stepped into the fray. The ravagers parted around me like I was a rock in a stream. I sent a command to them, but they never stopped.

I called to Gavroche and his children. “Gavroche! The gala is under attack by ravagers. They are not listening to my commands!”

I sliced through a ravager.

“That’s not possible, Adelina. I did not command them, and you have the second highest authority.”

“They are targeting royalty and nobles. They are being controlled!”

A ravager ripped through a guard and stopped and sniffed at the prince. The prince used that moment to use his silver sword to slice the head off the beast. I grabbed a ravager on the back of Duke Eastman and pulled it while cutting into it with my sword. It landed at my feet and screamed. I sliced through its neck.

The ravagers seemed to regroup and shifted their focus towards the royal family. I fought my way to the prince’s side. The general and captain were next to us. I brought three more down as the ravagers would not attack me. They kept trying to reach the prince or the king and queen behind us. For a half hour we hacked at them until they were all dead.

Everyone stood in stunned silence. There was blood everywhere. The prince and captain checked me over carefully.

“Where did you learn to fight like that, Miss DeMontfort?”

“I have fought these creatures for years. You need to attend to the ones bitten. They will turn in less than six hours.”

The prince nodded to the general. “Take care of that.”

“Yes, your highness.”

“Captain. Get my family to safety then get these people out of here. Escort Miss DeMontfort to our guest chambers.”

“I should get back home, your highness.”

He reached out and touched my hair that had come undone in the fighting. “You are staying. I will not have you out alone on the streets with these creatures. You saved my life and the lives of many. I want to make sure you are safe and close to me.”

I curtseyed and handed the captain the sword. “Yes, your highness.”

“Captain. Escort Miss DeMontfort personally. Have the staff find her some new clothing. She is to be treated with the utmost respect.”

“Yes, your highness.”

The captain led me away. We passed the tall woman with black hair. I was certain she sneered at me.

The palace guest chambers were impressive. The captain stopped at the door.

“I will send some ladies to attend you, Miss DeMontfort. Do you need anything?”

“I’m fine. Thank you.”

“Thank you, Miss DeMontfort. Without you there, things might have gone much worse.”

The captain left and closed the door leaving me alone.

I shouted at Gavroche through our connection. “What the hell happened?”

“Where are you? Are you safe?”

“Yes. I’m safe. I’m in the palace guest chambers. We stopped the ravagers, but it was a bloody mess. Why would they not listen to me?”

“I don’t have an answer for you, Adelina. This has never happened before. You said they targeted the nobles?”

“Yes, then they stopped in unison to focus their attack on the royal family.”

“I don’t understand it. Did you expose yourself?”

“No. I fought with no extra strength, speed, or dark traits.”

“Why are you in the guest chambers?”

“The prince wanted me safe.”

“And your discussion with him? How did it go?”

“He was highly doubtful and now… God only knows.”

“Get away if things look bad for you.”

“I will. He was being… I’m not worried.”

“Good. I will start digging on my end.”

I was pacing the room when Emma spoke to me.

“Are you safe? Should I come to you?”

“I’m safe, love. Don’t come. There are soldiers and guards everywhere and they will be looking for any signs of nightwalkers.”

“Were you hurt?”

“The ravagers would not touch me.”

“Will they question you on that?”

“I managed to give the prince the silver water just as the fight broke out. He saw it protected him. I will tell them I also took some if I am questioned.”

“I’m so worried about you. I want you home.”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can. I will keep you updated.”

“Love you, Adelina.”

“I love you, Emma.”

A knock sounded and several women came in.  They curtseyed.

“Lady DeMontfort. My name is Brianna. With me is Megan and Helen. We are here to serve you.”

“Thank you, Brianna. Please, call me Adelina.”

“Let’s get you out of that dress. There is blood all over it. We will wash it and get it back to you. Helen will measure you and find something for you to wear.”

 

***

 

It took a half hour for them to get me cleaned up and dressed in new clothes. They found a lovely blue dress and I kept Emma’s necklace and earrings on. I did not want to lose them by leaving them somewhere. Shortly after that another knock sounded at the door. The prince entered.

“Your highness.” I said as I curtseyed to him.

“Please leave us, ladies.”

The women hurried to leave. When they were gone, the prince approached me.

“I have so many questions but the one that is most pressing is if you are all right.”

“I’m fine, your highness. Just a few bruises.”

“Please, Miss DeMontfort. Have a seat.”

The prince held a chair for me, then he sat across from me.

“You can call me Adelina, if you are comfortable with that.”

He smiled. “We fought beside each other. In a private space I am fine with doing away with the formalities. Call me Galleron. I thought perhaps after putting you into a simple dress you would look less beautiful.”

“I do have less blood on me now.”

“I assume you also drank the silver water. Is that why the ravagers avoided you?”

“Yes. Silver water taints the blood. Silver is poison to them. Shades and ravagers can smell the silver in our blood. The vial you drank will slowly dilute over time. You should have protection from them for about a week.”

“How did you learn to use this?”

“When I was captured by the elders of the nightwalkers, they gave it to me to prevent shades and ravagers from wanting to feed off me.”

“I don’t understand why they captured you.”

“I was their enemy. They wanted to show me we have the same goals. They hoped I might have influence to get more people to understand their plight.”

“That confuses me. You find yourself on the same side as them?”

“Let me describe the curse for you.”

 

***

 

I shared much of what I knew with the prince over the next hour. He sat back and stared at me.

“You told me about their hierarchy and the spell that caused them to each turn seven people. The leader, darklords, darkling, specters, shades, and ravagers. Someone ordered the ravagers to attack us at the gala.”

“Having listened to everything the nightwalkers have shared with me; it is not congruent for them have done this themselves. This attack would only set flame to an already tinder-dry situation. Why give me the ability to protect humans if they wanted to kill and feed off us? Why capture me and let me go?”

“What do you think happened?”

“It was a coordinated attack. Ravagers came into the ballroom from multiple entrances at the same time. They targeted the nobles. Did you see that? Did you see when they stopped all at the same time to regroup to focus on you and reaching your parents?”

“I did see that.”

“This is just a hunch. What if someone else found a way to control the ravagers and wanted to use them to kill off the royal family and the nobility?”

“For what purpose?”

“Why else? If you eliminate the nobility, someone else can come to power.”

He nodded. “There is always someone.”

“What is to happen to me? Am I a prisoner?”

“What? No! You are a hero. I saw you kill close to half of the ravagers. Without the silver water, I would be dead or turned. You saved me from that fate. There is no reward enough to thank you. I want you to be safe and you are the royal family’s honored guest.

“Thad Deschamps, master of the hunters, is on his way. I had scheduled to meet him at the gala tonight, but I postponed it until tomorrow for a lunch meeting. After the gala, every citizen will be calling for the total elimination of the nightwalkers. We need to formulate a plan.”

Being near Thad would not be good. “I want to find out what happened. I can go to the elders of the nightwalkers and solicit their support.”

“I want you here. Your knowledge of the nightwalkers could prove valuable.”

“Of course. Anything you need, your highness.”

“Galleron. At least until we leave this room together.”

He helped me up and we left the guest rooms. We walked together through the palace and entered a large planning room. There was only one other person in there. The black-haired woman.

“Who is this woman? What is she doing here?” She stood and quickly crossed the room.

The prince’s face darkened. “Is that the way to greet your prince. Miss Cambray? Perhaps you have forgotten your place? Maybe you ran out of the ballroom to protect yourself when the protocols you implemented to protect us against the nightwalkers failed and we were attacked. In any event, you fail to recognize the woman that saved my life and the lives of dozens of people.”

The woman backed down and tipped her head. “I’m sorry, your highness.”

She didn’t sound very sorry.

“How do we know she is not in league with the nightwalkers and caused all this just to get in your good graces? No one knows this woman. No one has seen her before. She could be a nightwalker herself.”

Miss Cambray reeked of something foul. I grabbed a silver fork from a table and stepped forward. The prince stopped me.

“I will deal with this.” He turned to Miss Cambray. “You will apologize to Miss DeMontfort. She touches silver. There is no amber reflection in her eyes.”

The woman calmed down and placed a hand on the prince’s arm. “I apologize. I am just upset at how close you came to dying, Galleron… your highness.”

I had not been a woman long, but I could see right through this manipulative dog. The prince all but ignored her and offered me a seat. He asked if I needed anything, and I shook my head.

The general, captain, Thad, and Juliet entered the room. I shrunk down in my chair. Thad greeted the prince.

“I came as quickly as I could, your highness.”

“Thank you for coming so quickly.”

Juliet spotted me. “What is that nightwalker doing here? Was it responsible for the attack?”

The prince stared at Juliet before looking at me. I stood as Miss Cambray stepped closer to me.

“What are you talking about? Miss DeMontfort is not a nightwalker.”

“It is, your highness. It’s a new breed of the monsters. I attacked her in broad daylight with ten soldiers. She had them disarmed and riding home in under a minute.”

I know my face had gone pale.

“A new breed, you say?” Miss Cambray circled me. “She can be out in sunlight? If she passed the guards, then she is also immune to silver.”

The general, captain, and prince were staring at me.

The prince took a step back from me. “Miss DeMontfort. What do you have to say for yourself. This is not true. Please tell me this is not true.”

Lavina grabbed a dagger and lunged, stabbing me through my hand. I screamed and yanked out the blade.

The prince was livid. “Lavina! What have you done?”

Lavina Cambray smirked. “Look at her hand, your highness. She is already healing. She is a nightwalker.”

“Are you a nightwalker, Miss DeMontfort?”

I sighed. “Yes. But I was not responsible for the attack. I tried to stop it. Everything I said about the nightwalkers is true. They want peace. They want the curse to end.”

“You had us all fooled. I thought… You are hereby sentenced to death by burning at the stake. Your sentence will be carried out at dawn. Captain, remove that dress and her jewelry. She is not fit to wear such finery. Take her to the dungeons.”

Juliet laughed. “Let me help you, Captain. I don’t want it to get away.”

“I could leave now if I wanted to. Don’t make this mistake. Something else controlled those ravagers. It was not me.”

The prince stepped close. “I saw you fight the ravagers. Why aren’t you fighting now?”

“I don’t wish to fight any of you.”

Juliet sliced my corset with her dagger and started tearing at my dress.

“Have you no decency, Juliet?”

She hissed. “You don’t deserve decency. Remember what we discussed about honor? Do the right thing and die with honor.”

Tears fell down my cheeks as my dress was ripped from my body. Emma’s jewelry was roughly torn from my neck and ears.

“Get her out of my sight.” The prince snarled.

The captain and Juliet each took an arm as they dragged me through the palace and down into the dungeons. They threw me into a wet, cold cell. Juliet stayed behind.

I shivered as I stared into her hate-filled eyes.

“Juliet… You must realize there is something larger going on. Why, when I could, did I not kill the soldiers? Why did I fight to protect the royal family and citizens against the ravagers?”

“It does not matter. You are one of them. A monster.”

“Have you no pity?”

“Not for you.”

She turned and left just as Lavina came in. She waited until Juliet was well away before speaking.

“Nathaniel finally did it. He united the bloodlines, and you are the result.”

“How do you know about that?”

“Who do you think has been orchestrating all this? Who could have more power than Nathaniel to control the ravagers? Only the one who put the spell and curse in place.”

“Celestine. You don’t look the same.”

She shimmered and appeared as her old self. “You mean, like this? You have much to learn, Adelina, or should I call you Elias Dufort?”

“Adelina is my name now. I don’t understand. Why reveal yourself to me?”

“Because within twenty-four hours, I will be ruler of England and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop it. Nathaniel was such a fool. Him and his idiot brother. Edward was to set to rule, to be king, but Nathaniel was the one that wanted it more. They were the perfect pair.

“I am the creation of a demon mating with a human woman. I have… flaws. I can’t reproduce. Silver is poison to me. Sunlight hurts me. I gave Nathaniel my powers. All he had to do was to sacrifice his brother to finalize the spell. He would have become just like you. The fool attacked me instead of his brother and damaged the spell.”

“You are deranged.”

“I have been called worse. You, however, have been the perfect pawn. The prince despises you. For a moment, I was certain he was considering you for his bride, then all this wonderful news unfolded. You had me fooled and him captivated. I will see you in the morning, Adelina. That will be about the time the hunters and army join forces to wipe out the nightwalkers. They will attack at after your burning. Sleep well, darling.”

As soon as she left, I phased and ran out of the palace. As I ran through the dark city I called to Emma and Gavroche.

“This is such a mess. Juliet came with Thad to see the prince. She exposed me. I didn’t fight as I wanted to get as much information as I could. Lavina Cambray, the advisor in the palace, is none other than Celestine. She controlled the ravagers. Get everyone prepared. The king’s army and the hunters will attack in the morning. I’m on my way back to you.”

Gavroche’s voice sounded in my head. “Of course. Celestine… We will prepare right away.”

Emma spoke to me. I could feel her concern. “Did they hurt you?”

“It’s not important, Emma.”

“They did. I can feel it in you. Hurry home, love. If we are to die, I want to die next to you.”

 

***

 

I had to make myself invisible as the soldiers had begun staging their camp outside of the tunnels. I slipped inside and ran as fast as I could. It was nearly dawn. I burst into the main room to find Gavroche and all the darklords.

Emma threw herself into my arms. “Adelina!”

I held her tight.

“You’re shaking. Why are you in your underclothes. Is that blood on your hand? What did they do to you?”

“Sorry to interrupt. Adelina, you need to get ready. We… Something isn’t right.”

Gavroche spun right into Celestine as she materialized behind him. Her silver sword sliced through him then she plunged a silver dagger into his heart. Gavroche crumpled as we all stared.

“So nice to see you again, my love. We have unfinished business, but I won’t be needing you any longer.”

The darklords surged forward but were halted in their tracks by a single word from Celestine. Only I could move, and I snatched a blade and prepared to leap towards her when she laughed and vanished. I felt a whisper in my ear.

“Come find me, darling. I have need of you yet and it is such a shame about the royal family.” Celestine’s voice vanished with the breeze.

Gavroche grunted as his life spilled from him.

I rushed to his side and put pressure on his wounds. “You can recover.”

He shook his head slowly as the others gathered around. “Feed… from me… Adelina. You… must be… stronger… lead my… children.”

“I can’t feed from you.”

“You.. must. I can pass my… legacy only to… you. You… are my… blood. Quickly…”

Dagon put his hand on my shoulder. “Do it, Adelina.”

“What will I become?”

Alastor whispered. “Our leader.”

I looked down at Gavroche and felt the tears flowing. I had to force myself to extend my fangs. I leaned down to his neck and whispered to him. “Father…”

Gavroche smiled weakly as I bit into his neck. His life, his legacy, his power, poured into me. I gasped as I pulled away.

Gavroche shook and closed his eyes. “My… children…” He breathed his last.

Emma, Saida, and Austra were crying. The men looked like they had just lost their best friend.

Dagon squared his shoulders and looked at me. “We are yours to command, Adelina. You were more powerful than us before, and now you have Fether’s blood flowing in you.”

I felt the additional power and strength, but it meant very little. I nodded slowly, placed my hand on Father’s chest, and stood to face the darklords.

“We need to end Celestine, but first we have the combined forces of the king’s army and the hunters to contend with. When this curse is dealt with, we will have to live with whatever damage we do today. Whenever possible, we will not harm or kill any of them. The soldiers are staged just outside the tunnel. Move all our people into place.”

Emma tugged my arm. “I will send staff in to properly prepare Father. You need to change, my love.”

One by one the darklords paid their respects and left. Emma pulled me to my room and kissed me.

“It was unbearable to not be with you, knowing you were in danger.”

“We stay together from here on out. I’m so sorry. They took your jewelry.”

“We can get it back after this is done. It was your jewelry. I was going to give them to you.”

“When this is over, Emma, I’m going to…”

“Shush. We need to stay focused and end that wicked woman’s life. I have something for you on the bed.”

On the bed were new black fighting leathers. They were beautiful. After putting them on, I stood in front of the mirror. I looked formidable and beautiful. The top was made from light, finely tanned, and dyed black leather that formed a long open skirt. My bodice was edged with intricate designs and black lace. Leather pants were perfectly designed to be snug, yet comfortable and flexible enough for fighting. A reddish-brown belt with an ornate pewter clasp emphasized my narrow hips. Black leather bracers and a black fabric cape completed the outfit. With my hair a bit wild, it made me look like I was ready to take on the world, which was closer to the truth than I would have liked.

Emma was wearing a similar outfit in darker brown. I reached for her and pulled her to me for a kiss.

“This is beautiful.”

“Why should the men get all the nice fighting clothes?”

“Thank you. I just need two more things.” I went over to where my father’s silver sword and my silver dagger had been stored and strapped them on. “These might come in handy with Celestine. She said it was one of her weaknesses and I noticed she wore gloves and had leather wrapping on her silver weapons.”

“We need to kill her.”

“She has been planning this for centuries. We have forced her to adjust her plan, but it will not be easy. She says she has need of me yet.”

“I don’t like the sound of that, but if she touches you, I will kill her myself.”

 

***

 

We ran through the castle and tunnels until we entered the tunnel convergence room. The darklords were all there as were the darklings and specters. Notably absent were the shades and ravagers. Everyone tipped their head to me, sensing my added strength and powers of control.

Dagon shook his head as he looked at me. “You will set a new trend wearing those fighting clothes, Adelina. To think of when we first saw you, you were a miserable whelp. No insult intended.”

“I will remember that, nonetheless, the next time we train together.” I said with a smile.

“The army likely knows about the two southern tunnel entrances. They will rush in with as many fighters as they can, ultimately arriving here.”

“Then let’s not give them much room. We use mind control to have the soldiers block the tunnels.”

 

***

 

We waited several hours, and it was now late morning. “I don’t understand why they are delaying. I will try to negotiate.”

Alastor shouted. “No time for that, they are entering the tunnels!”

I could now here the clamor of men and weapons as the army moved into the tunnels. “Take your positions. Do not kill them.”

Emma slid her hand into mine and squeezed it.

“I love you, Adelina.”

“I love you too, Emma.”

I closed my eyes and sent a strong command to the soldiers to turn and block the tunnels to prevent others from entering. I heard angry shouts from those outside but thankfully, no clash of arms.

Over the next hour, we each took turns sending commands to not tax any one of us. As it was, it was tiring to control that many people.

“This will simply not do.” I heard Celestine’s voice in my head.

Chaos erupted all around us. Shades and ravagers rushed in from all sides and started attacking us. I could hear the clash of arms against ravagers from the tunnels the army were in.

“Celestine is controlling the shades and ravagers. I can’t stop them. Defend yourselves and the soldiers.”

A thousand shades and ravagers slammed into us. They were wild and frenzied.

Alastor shouted. “The tunnels the army are in have small access areas the ravagers are breaking through!”

Emma fought next to me as the ravagers piled up. The ravagers were forcing the soldiers to retreat towards the convergence room. Eventually, we closed ranks with the soldiers, and I found myself fighting side by side with Thad and the general.

“This is not us, General. Lavina Cambray is behind this. She is Celestine, the witch that created the nightwalkers.”

“It makes no sense for you to command them to fight your own and protect our soldiers, but don’t expect any favors from the king or prince.”

A ravager leapt for the general. I phased behind it, grabbed its leg with one hand and severed its head with my sword.

“I told you before, we are on the same side. We want the same thing.”

Emma sliced through a ravager that was nearly on Thad.

We continued to fight shoulder to shoulder for hours. The soldiers were slowing and weakening so the nightwalkers surrounded them to keep the ravagers at bay.

Laughter erupted through the tunnels and suddenly the ravagers and shades melted into the tunnels and disappeared. There was a pause where we all turned to stare at each other.

I sheathed my sword and held out my hand. “On behalf of the nightwalkers, I offer a truce.”

The general stared at my hand. “Our men need a reprieve and if it were not for all of you, many would be dead right now. We were ill prepared for such a fight. I grant you a truce for two days.”

Thad turned to me. “I don’t understand why, but Juliet is asking for you. She’s injured.”

On the far side of the tunnel intersection room, we found Juliet lying in her own blood. She had been bitten early in the fight and by the look of her, she was nearing the time she would turn. I knelt next to her.

“My God, Juliet. I’m so sorry.”

She clasped my wrist and stared into my eyes. “I was wrong… I never believed…” She coughed up blood. “Nightwalkers saved my life… a dozen times today. I’m… sorry. Don’t… let me become…”

Juliet screamed and began to turn. Thad placed his hand on my shoulder.

“Look away. I will take care of her.”

I stood and turned as Thad did for me what I would not be able to do for myself.

Emma touched my cheek. I wanted to have her wrap her arms around me, but this was not the time for comfort. Thad and the general stood before me.

“It is done.”

I nodded.

A soldier ran up to us through the tunnels. “General! Night has just come upon us, and we have word from the palace. Nightwalkers are attacking the palace and city.”

The general cursed. “Only the palace guards are left to protect the royal family. In our zeal for revenge, we did not think… Our army was removed to get us out of the way. All available men, prepare to move to the palace!”

“General?”

“Yes, Miss DeMonfort?”

“I will send the specters and darklings into the city to protect the citizens throughout the night. I will take the darklords with me to the palace to help support the guards in protection of the royal family.”

“With your speed you will reach there before we will. I will arrive with the army as soon as we can.”

I sent the commands via my mental connection.

The darklings and specters scattered to obey the command.

“Godspeed, General.”

 

***

 

Emma led the way through the tunnels to the closest exit near the palace. We emerged cautiously and were immediately set upon by ravagers. We fought them as we made our way through the cobblestone streets towards. When we arrived at the palace, thousands of ravagers were clawing at the gates and walls of the palace. Their focus was getting inside, and we could see several breaches already.

“Let’s get inside the palace. We will put one of you on each place the ravagers have broken through to aid the guards.”

We phased out of existence and moved straight through the palace walls. Once inside the palace courtyard, we found guards were doing their best to hold off the steady stream of ravagers at two locations. Ravagers were slipping by them and heading into the palace.

“Alastor and Austra. Support the guards here. The rest with me.”

We ran ahead, slaughtering as many ravagers as we could. We found the doors to the throne room protected by a handful of guards. The captain was there fighting for his life against at least thirty ravagers.

We slammed into the ravagers from behind and made quick work of them. We had a few moments before more ravagers arrived.

“Miss DeMontfort.” The captain panted. “I’m not sure if I should be glad to see you or not.”

“Is the royal family safe?”

“I don’t know. The doors are locked, and we can’t get in.”

“Emma, Dagon. Let’s make sure the royal family is safe. Saida, Edward, and Edmund, stay here to help the captain.”

I didn’t wait for the others but phased through the door. The king, queen, and prince were all surrounded by ravagers as they huddled together in the corner of the throne room. Celestine sat on the throne with one leg draped over the arm.

“I knew you would come, Adelina. Stop where you are, or the royal family dies. I see you brought friends as well. How nice.”

Dagon rushed forward and was brought to his knees in his first step.

Celestine shook her head. “That will not do.”

The prince was staring at me. “I should have listened to you, Adelina. I’m sorry.”

“I guess this is not the time to ask about rescinding your death order on me?”

A ravager hissed at him.

“Sorry to interrupt you two, but we have business to attend to, Adelina.”

“The only thing you and I have to talk about is how you die, Celestine.”

“Oh, no. We have much to talk about. You will be my bride, after all.”

“I will humor you. Why do you think I would ever marry you?”

She shook her head. “Nathaniel never figured it out. He was so smitten by me, he didn’t understand. You are everything my spell was supposed to create. All he had to do was feed off and kill his brother to seal the spell. He would have turned just like you. I told him he would rule at my side, he just didn’t realize it would be as my submissive queen.”

Celestine stood and transformed into the likeness of the prince. “In the ravager attack on the palace and city, the king and queen were killed. The prince, me, becomes king, and takes the hero of the summer gala, you, as my bride and queen. Our children will be powerful and without my deficiencies and will move throughout the world until we rule the entire world.”

“You think I will willingly be your wife?”

“Not at the moment, but you will.”

I phased but she was faster. She grabbed me from the mists and yanked me back into my normal state. She was stronger and faster than me and clearly had dark abilities that surpassed mine. Her dagger was at my throat.

Emma tried to attack but was also brought to her knees.

“Look around you, Adelina. You are outmatched by me. If you die, then the curse will remain forever. If you refuse me, everyone in this room will die, I will kill your mother and sister to remove any possibility of the bloodlines coming together again, and I will let the ravagers loose on the world to build my army. If you choose to be my bride, only the king, queen, and prince will die.”

“Spare everyone. Stop the ravager attack right now. Let the nightwalkers go to live their lives. Release the royal family to live in peace.”

“Don’t do this, Adelina!” Emma pleaded in my mind.

The ravagers took a step back from the royal family.

“Done. But I still don’t think you will ever be my submissive bride. To make sure, we need a blood bond. When we both feed from each other, the bond will complete, and a new spell will lock in place.”

Celestine sank her teeth into my neck, and I screamed in pain. I collapsed on the ground fighting the bond. I shook with anguish as it seared through my veins. It was trying to erode everything about who I was. It attacked the core of my being. It made me want to love Celestine and be her dutiful slave.

The doors opened and the rest of the darklords entered along with Thad, the captain and general.

“Stop where you all are. I let you in to witness this.”

They looked back and forth between Celestine, who looked like the prince, and the real prince in the corner of the room.

“Blood… bond. Two… way. Love… Feed off me… Seal our…bond.”

I barely managed enough focus to communicate to Emma. My eyes connected with hers.

Celestine walked back up to the throne and stood before it.

“What is the meaning of this?” The general stepped forward but found himself stuck. None of the darklords could move.

I screamed again.

Celestine laughed. “You are trying to reject the blood bond. Nothing is more painful and yet so inevitable. For everyone’s benefit, Mom and Dad abdicated their throne to me, Galleron d’Ambray. I have proposed to Adelina. She will be my queen. It is a joyous day.”

I crawled towards Emma. Emma was just close enough to sink her teeth into me. I felt immediate release from my submissive desire to love Celestine, but the pain tripled as the two blood bonds fought inside me.

“Oh… That’s such a nice try, Adelina. Only a true blood bond could break my spell. Give up. Come and seal the blood bond with me.”

The pain slowly eased.

I managed to get my focus back to contact Emma again. “It worked, love. I’m free. Get ready.”

I shook as I got to my knees. I looked up into Celestine’s eyes. I smiled.

“There we are. Isn’t that better, darling?”

“Yes.” I nodded.

I stood and took a step towards her. “I… I love you.”

“Good girl. Drop your sword and come to me.”

“Yes, my love.” I dropped my sword and moved next to Celestine. She was taller than I was now that she was in the prince’s image. I pressed myself against her.

“You will make such a beautiful wife. Seal our bond, Adelina.”

I laid my head on her shoulder and brushed my lips against her neck. I slipped my dagger into my hand that had been hidden inside my fighting clothes. I let my fangs touch her skin as I thrust my dagger up and under her ribs.

Celestine screamed and twisted. Her hand clutched around my throat with incredible strength. Emma and the rest of everyone were released as I choked but managed to push the dagger further into her. Emma phased and appeared behind Celestine and with a mighty swing of her sword, sliced Celestine’s head from her body.

In that instant, chaos erupted. The ravagers were no longer held at bay. They lunged for the royal family and pushed into the throne room. I collapsed on the floor, unable to speak, and gasping for air.

Emma took command and ordered the ravagers to stop their attack. Her command could not reach all of them, but it stopped them inside the throne room. Dagon and the other darklords killed the ravagers quickly.

Emma knelt next to me. “Adelina. Are you all right. You need to command the ravagers throughout the palace and city.”

I nodded, closed my eyes, and focused on the ravagers. I sent them back to the tunnels. “It’s done.” I said in a raspy voice.

“You need to feed to heal, love.”

“Not here. It can wait.”

Emma helped me to my feet.

A soldier ran into the throne room. “General. The ravagers are all leaving the palace and the city.”

“Organize teams and sweep the palace. We need it secure before we move through the city.”

“Yes, General.”

My throat was healing slowly so that I could speak easier. The prince stepped forward and looked down on the bloody remains of Celestine. I tried to curtsy and looked down. His fingers lifted my chin. He stepped back and bowed.

“Adelina, I hereby rescind my order to have you put to death. You are free. The royal family owes you an apology and a debt to your kind. All but the shades and ravagers, that is.”

“Thank you, your highness.”

“Is the curse broken? Can you stop the ravagers from feeding?”

“I don’t believe any of us know for certain how the death of Celestine will affect us. But I believe the curse is broken. The darklords were able to attack and kill the ravagers in this room when the ravagers were not attacking them. That is a good sign. As we learn more, I will keep you updated.”

“Please do.”

The prince extended his hand, and I took it in mine. “I will put the guards and army at your disposal to help eliminate any lingering threat.”

We turned away and headed for home.

“Adelina.”

I paused at the throne room doors and turned around.

“Yes, your highness?”

“Thank you. Whatever happened between you and Celestine, it did not look pleasant. You risked your life for ours multiple times in the past few days. Be safe. I don’t want anything happening to you.”

“Thank you, your highness.”

 

***

 

As soon as we were back in the castle, Emma threw her arms around me and kissed me. The darklords all waited patiently for us to finish. I kept my hand in Emma’s, and they seemed to be waiting for me to say something.

“Much has happened in the last day. I am still processing the revelations. Let’s make sure everyone is safe and the ravagers and shades are not out of control. Rest up as we do not know if anyone might have second thoughts about us and come knocking on our door. Let’s reconvene in the morning. The real morning.”

Everyone went their own way. Emma stayed with me until they had all left. She looked shyly into my eyes.

“I called ahead to have my bath ready. I was wondering if you might care to join me.”

“A bath sounds glorious. A bath with you sounds heavenly.”

She held up her wrist. “You have bruising on your neck, and I want you at full energy.”

I kissed her, then kissed down her neck until I reached her wrist. I bit into her wrist and felt all the soreness from the day vanish. Emma moaned and pressed herself against me. She kissed my lips clean, then led me by the hand to her rooms.

 

***

 

I woke in the early morning hours, just before dawn. Emma was snuggled up to me with her arms around me protectively. The previous night had indeed been heavenly.

Emma opened her eyes as I stirred, and she smiled. “Good morning, love.”

“I have a present for you.”

“Mmmm. After our love making, what more could a girl want?”

“Come with me, Emma. Let’s get dressed.”

“You are being elusive, darling.”

We dressed quickly and I led Emma through the castle to the outdoor garden. The sun’s rays were just beginning to touch the flowers. I pulled Emma’s hand, and she held back.

“Come, Emma.”

I slipped away from her and moved out of the shadows of the castle to stand in the sunlight. I held out my hand towards her.

“Please.”

Emma’s tears were flowing. “I can’t.”

“You can. Just a little at first. You must know, Emma. Celestine is dead.”

Emma took a step towards me and paused. “The sun burns so painfully, Adelina.”

“Just a little further, Emma. Stretch out your hand into the sunlight.”

She took another step forward. She reached out her shaking hand. As soon as the tips of her fingers touched the sunlight, she pulled them back and stared at them. She stretched out her hand again and held it in the sunlight. She turned it over back and forth.

She took another step forward so my hand could hold hers. She stared into my eyes. “Take me into the sunshine, love.”

I pulled her into my arms. The sun was fully upon her. She had buried her face in my shoulder, but slowly turned it to face the sun. She closed her eyes and smiled before kissing me passionately. She held up her arms and danced, yelling for joy.

The darklords, having heard the commotion stepped out into the shade of the garden. Upon seeing Emma in the sunlight, they moved forward, testing their hands before running and leaping into the sunlit morning.

Emma spun back into my arms. “Dance with me.”

As we swayed together in the sunlight, more and more of the nightwalkers came from the castle. They shouted and laughed, many stripped to their underclothes and simply stood silently letting as much sunlight touch them as possible.

“You made this happen, Adelina. You broke the curse.”

“You were the one that ended Celestine’s life, Emma. You ended the curse.”

“The only thing on my mind at that moment was that foul bitch was hurting you and was going to take you away from me.”

Dagon approached us. “Emma is right, Adelina. You broke the curse and you stayed with us like you promised.”

The rest of the darklings and specters arrived.

“We need to test silver, but last night I did not see the amber glow in Emma’s eyes.”

Alastor was smiling. “Now I can go to a drinking establishment and find some lovely human women to partake in. Unless you would care to indulge me, Adelina? Maybe you and Emma together?”

Emma laughed. “Adelina is mine. All mine.”

Saida giggled. “I lost one of my seven yesterday while we fought in the tunnels. For the rest of the day, I felt the burning need to replace him. When Celestine was killed, that desire faded as did any need to feed. We still have fangs and can feed, but the need is no longer there.”

Edmund shuffled his feet. “What happens now? We have planned for decades, but I don’t think any of us thought through what life without the curse would be like for us.”

They waited for directions from me. “We have time to figure that out. I think we should honor Father. Bring him into the sun one last time and bury him where he can feel its warmth during the day. We need to decide with the shades and ravagers, but I think we all know what must be done to them. I should visit the palace tomorrow and update the royal family on the curse.”

Austra nodded. “That feels appropriate for Father. I… I wonder about children. I have always wanted them, but, more importantly, we don’t need a lot of baby Alastor’s running around.”

Alastor huffed. “The world would be a better place with hundreds of baby Alastors roaming about.”

Andrew laughed. “Maybe Adelina can put him to sleep again or command his libido to vanish.”

“I will if I must. If we can have children, then do we age?”

Dagon sat down in the grass with his face towards the sun. “Only time will tell. I am still confused about what happened.”

Emma sat down, then pulled me down so she could wrap her arms around me.

“I have been thinking about this. Celestine suggested that I was what Father was supposed to become. I believe the initial spell would have turned Father female so that Celestine could rule as king. This is why I changed genders. I seemed clear to me that Celestine would not have accepted being a secondary ruler. She could transform herself into a man. Father would have become her queen and together they would produce offspring without Celestine’s deficiencies. It was what she alluded to with me.”

“At least it is done, and the curse is broken.” Edmund added. “Let’s honor Father, then take care of the shades and ravagers.”

 

***

 

Two days later, Emma and I approached the palace. We were dressed as expected for a meeting with the royal family. That meant tight corsets and long dresses.

The palace guards tipped their heads respectfully, but I did not know if that was because they knew us, or we were just like any other women.

We didn’t wait long for the prince to come greet us.

“Your highness.” I said as I curtseyed.

“Miss DeMontfort. And you brought the lovely lady that ended Celestine’s life. We were never formerly introduced.”

Emma curtseyed again. “Emma Chapman, your highness.”

“It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Chapman. We should not keep everyone waiting.”

“Everyone?”

“My mother and father, the general, Thad, and captain of the guards.”

“No executioner?”

“Not this time, Miss DeMontfort.”

The prince led us into the throne room. We curtseyed to the king and queen and Emma was introduced. The king took the lead.

“Please. Everyone take a seat. Miss DeMontfort, I admit that I am hesitant to be in the presence of nightwalkers. The past week has not been particularly favorable to your kind. The reason you are here today and not being hunted is that I acknowledge you and the nightwalkers, at least some of them, fought to protect us and the citizens. I have had many ask me about the beautiful woman that battled against the ravagers during the gala.”

The king leaned forward. “I assume you have a story to share.”

 

***

 

I spent the next few hours explaining as much as I could while protecting my own identity. I suggested I had been the first person turned by Nathaniel.

The king stood and I watched him closely as he stared out the window.

“What of the curse and the shades and ravagers?”

“The curse is broken. Nightwalkers are no longer burned by silver or the sun and their need to feed is now gone.” I look down. “The shades and ravagers have been eliminated. These were once people, citizens, family members. I knew they were soulless beings but killing them all will haunt me until the end of my days. That task, however, is done. They are all gone.”

“What of the remaining nightwalkers? You feel they can integrate into society and my people will no longer have to fear being attacked or fed upon?”

“All the remaining nightwalkers have retained their humanity. I believe they can live within society and become very productive. I say this with the caveat that anyone, nightwalker, or human, can have evil intentions. Nightwalkers retain their strength, speed, and abilities and thus will need to be carefully watched for those abusing their power.”

The king nodded. “You are their leader now?”

“There is a hierarchy within the nightwalkers. Not only was I slightly stronger and had more mind control abilities than the others, but when the leader bequeathed to me his legacy as he died, I gained additional. I have become the new leader.”

“Are the females capable of reproducing?”

“We don’t know yet. We believe this to be the case since it was Celestine’s wish to have offspring.”

“Miss DeMontfort. If what you have told us is true, and I have no reason to dispute that, then you have become a valuable and honored citizen of England. As such, you will marry my son, Galleron.”

“What?” The prince, Emma, and I all exclaimed at the same time.

The king had a smug look on his face. “It only makes sense. I rule by might. I have guards, and armies loyal to me, but I am an ordinary man. The nightwalkers represent a change in the world. You are more powerful, faster, and have abilities that will eventually lead to subjugation of humans. It is inevitable. History dictates this will happen. By you marrying my son, your offspring will be powerful, and my family name will live on to rule.”

Emma squeezed my hand. “I’m not letting you go.”

“There must be a way to change his mind.”

“I do not agree to marrying your son.”

“Oh, but you will. You have no choice.”

I shook my head. “We all have choices.”

“I will make this easier for you, Miss DeMontfort. Here are your choices. If you do not accept, the war against the nightwalkers will continue. I will order my armies and guards to kill you all. By my count, there are less than four hundred of you left. I can pull together a twenty-thousand-man army in days.

“If you accept, you will become princess of England and eventually queen. You will live a life of luxury. Your role will be liaison with the nightwalkers, overseeing their transition into society. The nightwalkers will be granted clemency by me. I will bestow upon the darklords estates and holdings and make them dukes and duchesses.”

The prince stood. He gazed at his father a long time before staring at me. “This is a good plan, Father. She will make an excellent wife for me.”

“How about I offer a third and fourth choice?”

The king waved his hands. “As you wish, Miss DeMontfort.”

“I do not marry your son, and offer a peace agreement between you, the people of England, and the nightwalkers. We will live and have the same rights as any other citizens.”

The king shook his head. “That is not acceptable. In a generation or two your kind will have spread and humans like me, and my family will become subjugated by nightwalkers. What is your last option?”

“You let us go in peace. We will depart from England so as not to be a threat to you.”

“No. You will just strengthen your numbers and return to wipe us all out. The only options available are death or becoming my son’s wife.”

“You must give me time to think about it. My decision affects more than just me.”

“Come back in twenty-four hours with your decision or I will have no other option but to kill you all.”

 

***

 

We were well away from the palace when Emma began cursing.

“That foul-mouthed, greedy, despicable, disgusting, worthless piece of trash and his son! They can’t have you! Three hundred years! I have waited three hundred years to find the love of my life and I will not give you up!”

We stopped walking and I glanced around to make sure no one was watching. I cupped Emma’s face with my hands and kissed her.

“I have no intention of ever leaving you.”

“What are we going to do?”

“We are going to leave, but not before I put the fear of God in the royal family.”

Emma smiled. “Can I come too?”

 

***

 

I stood before the darklords and explained the options the king had given me. They looked none too happy.

Dagon growled. “I say we kill them all.”

“I don’t disagree with you, Dagon, but I don’t believe that will solve anything. Another royal family will come to power. Nightwalkers will be blamed, and we will continue to be hunted. Here’s my plan.”

They listened, offered suggestions, but all nodded in agreement. Emma was a whirlwind and quickly organized everything.

 

***

 

I walked the cobblestone streets on my way to the palace. It was dark and the lanterns barely lit the way, but my enhanced eyesight made the dimly lit streets almost as bright as day. There were many people that stopped to stare at me as I passed them.

I was wearing my black fighting outfit, and I had my silver sword and dagger ready in case I needed them. I would meet Emma as soon as I could. We decided it would be best for her to focus on our personal plans and help others.

When the palace came into view, I phased and entered through the walls. I shifted to invisibility and made my way quietly through the palace until I found the royal chambers. I phased past the guards and into the prince’s room. He was still awake and sitting at a desk.

I positioned myself to sit on his desk in front of him and materialized. The prince jumped backwards, but my hand caught the collar of his shirt to hold him in place. My other hand positioned my dagger close to his throat.

“I do not suggest you make a sound. I do not want to have to kill everyone in the palace. Nod if you understand.”

The prince nodded.

“I was not pleased with how I was treated earlier today. I will not become your dutiful wife.”

The prince’s voice was a mere whisper. “There is no need for the knife, Adelina. I have been trying to figure a way out of this for everyone. I have seen this before with my father and when he sets his mind to something, he will not stop. I had to placate him and agree that marrying you would be a good idea. As lovely as you are, I can’t get past the idea you are not human and there is no guarantee that Father wouldn’t betray you. He believes we must have your power in our bloodline for us to rule and take over more land.”

“As handsome as you are, I do not see myself as a baby making machine, a princess, or a queen. I have no doubt your father would try to eliminate us once he has what he wants.”

“Where does that leave you, Adelina? What is the fate of the nightwalkers?”

“Your father can’t kill all of us even with a large army. I don’t wish the nightwalkers to start their new lives free of the curse constantly looking over their shoulders. I’m not here to hurt anyone.”

“So, you will all run? You could easily take power and rule England.”

“I don’t want to rule anything. My life has been nothing but strife and death. I seek a peaceful life.”

The prince moved and I tensed.

He put up his hands. “I’m not your enemy, Adelina. I trust you. I have something for you.”

He moved to a table and picked up a velvet bag. He handed it to me. I opened it to see Emma’s jewelry.

“The dress was not recoverable. It had too much blood and ravager parts on it.”

“Thank you, Galleron. I was going to ask politely for this back.”

“And if asking politely didn’t work?”

“You don’t want to know that answer.”

I turned to leave but paused when the prince spoke.

“The idea of marrying you was not what scared me. What I feared most was the thought of aging before your eyes while you remained young. That and my children being able to beat me in a fight when they are only five years old. I never feared you, Adelina. I was shocked that you were a nightwalker and felt betrayed, but in my heart, I could easily have loved you.”

I turned to face him. “Do me a favor?”

“Anything.”

“Don’t follow in your father’s footsteps. You are a good and honorable man. There will always be someone bigger and tougher that could dethrone you, but if you stay true to your heart, you will win loyalty. Surround yourself with good people.”

“Wise words, Adelina.”

“And if you become a royal pain…” I twirled my dagger and smiled.

The prince smiled and bowed. “I wish you a good, long, and peaceful life, Adelina.”

I phased and entered the king’s bedroom. I found the king alone in his bed sleeping soundly. I suspected the queen slept in her own chambers. I materialized, then placed my hand over the king’s mouth. His eyes shot open, and he struggled against me. It was easy to keep him down.

“I’m going to call you Alexander because I do not recognize you as my king. Do you understand?”

He nodded.

“Good. One of the first rules of warfare is to always give your opponent a way out, especially if the one you wage war against is stronger than you. You tried to put me in a corner. I offered other options. You refused and threatened my life and the lives of those I love.

“I gave you a peaceful alternative, Alexander. As you can see, I can easily slip past your guards. I could kill you at any time. I will let you speak now, but if you call for the guards, I will slit your throat.”

I removed my hand from his mouth.

“What do you want, filthy monster?”

“You really should not insult the person who holds your life in their hands, Alexander. Understand this well. If you ever touch or try to hurt me or one of mine, I will destroy you.”

“I am the king! You can’t come in here and threaten me!”

I moved my dagger to his throat. “You are a weak, greedy, and miserable man that let others do his fighting for him. You are a figurehead, nothing else. I highly recommend you choose the option presented to you which allows you to remain in power. In the morning, you will call your advisors, captain of the guard, the stalkers, and your general of the armies and tell them you are standing down against the nightwalkers. Tell them you had a change of heart since we fought alongside you and protected your kingdom. If you don’t choose this option, then I will return and end your life. It’s that simple.”

“I don’t ever want to see you or your kind again.”

I patted him on his chest. “That’s the spirit.” I stood and vanished.

The king was about to shout for the guards when I whispered into his ear. “I will be watching you.”

He paled.

 

***

 

I slipped into the dining room where Mother and Harmony were eating their breakfast. It had been a long night, and I could not leave the area without saying goodbye.

They both were startled when I phased and stood before them, but that lasted only long enough until they threw their arms around me.

“Adelina!”

Mother kissed my cheek and stepped back. “I’m so glad you’re safe. You are dressed for a fight. Thad told us the king gave the leader of the nightwalkers an ultimatum. I gather you are Miss DeMontfort?”

“I am.”

“I take it you refused to marry the prince?”

“I just came from the palace. I gave the king my response.”

“You left him alive?”

“I did. There has been enough killing. The ravagers and shades are gone, and the curse is broken. I found myself responsible for the remaining nightwalkers and it was clear the king would always see us as a threat in one form or another. By now most have left England. I will be leaving as well.”

Mother kissed my forehead. “I don’t want to see you go, but if you can find peace and a life elsewhere, then I understand. The Duforts have suffered enough.”

“Does Thad know who I really am?”

Harmony shook her head. “No. That is your story to tell. Juliet refused to acknowledge you even had a prior life. To her, you were just another nightwalker and that is all she shared with Thad.”

“It’s best we let Elias go so I can have a chance at a new life. If the king found out who I really was, he might not be too happy with the remaining Duforts. England will be much better off when his son replaces the king. Galleron is a good man.”

Mother moved to the dresser and pulled out a small satchel. “Take this. It is not much. Just a few things your father wanted you to have. Where will you go?”

“South. Not sure where I will end up, but I will write to you when I settle. There is a strong desire to live in a place with more sunshine.”

I hugged mother tightly, then did the same for Harmony. “I love you both.”

Harmony’s eyes were moist. “Be safe, angel.”

“You’ve always been the angel, Harmony.”

“I guess we can share the title now.”

 

***

 

Leaving Mother and Harmony was extremely difficult. When I found a hidden place to hide as I waited for a ship to France, I cried at the loss of them. Everyone headed in a different direction to throw off any possible hunt. We made plans to meet in six months’ time in southern France.

It took me two days to reach my rendezvous location with Emma. The small cottage on the outskirts of Paris was quaint and out of the way. Before I could knock, the door opened, and Emma threw her arms around me.

“I missed you and was worried about you, Adelina.”

“I missed you too, love.”

“Come in. You look tired.”

“I have not slept much.”

Emma pulled me into the cottage, and I was surprised to find Cora there.

Cora smiled. “Miss Adelina. It is good to see you. Are you hungry?”

“Very. I didn’t expect to ever see you again.”

“When I heard you and Miss Emma were leaving, it didn’t feel right to not go with you both.”

Emma hugged Cora. “We’re glad you came.”

Emma sat down and pulled me into her lap as Cora placed food on the table in front of me.

“I’m not letting you go.” Emma whispered into my ear.

I leaned back and kissed her. “I don’t ever want you to. I have something for you.” I pulled out the velvet pouch and handed it to Emma.

Emma emptied the contents onto the table. The diamonds and sapphires glittered in the light. Emma gasped.

“You found them.”

“The prince gave them back to me.”

“Willingly?”

“No coercion necessary on my part.”

“I am going to pry more from you later. These belonged to my mother. The DeMonforts were nobility, and it was the only thing I took after I…”

“That was another lifetime ago. We have a new life to look forward to.”

Emma kissed me. “We do, indeed.”

 

*** One Year later ***

 

Cora stepped out onto the outdoor veranda. She laughed. “Don’t you two ever get tired of dancing together?”

“I’m certain one day Emma will cast me aside for something better, but not today.”

Emma paused our dancing and stared into my eyes. “I will never tire of you and there will never be anyone better.”

I kissed Emma.

“Ehem… You have a letter, Miss Adelina. It’s from Harmony.”

Emma sat down with me as we read the letter.

‘My dear sister,

I am blessed to have heard from you and know you are safe and settled. Mother is well. I have been very busy as of late. During the fall gala, I sort of caught the eye of someone. Things have progressed and we will soon be married.

In a way, it was all your fault. You told me he was a good man, and, well, he is. When the dust settles and the king is gone, Prince Galleron and I will pardon you and the nightwalkers so you will be safe when you come to visit me. I can’t wait to see you curtsey.

I love you, my sister, Adelina, my angel.’

 

*** Present Day ***

 

Emma reached out her hand and held mine as we lounged next to our swimming pool that overlooked the Mediterranean Sea. With her other hand, she tapped her phone and romantic music began playing from the outside speakers.

“Dance with me, Adelina.”

“After all these years, you are still not tired of me yet?”

Emma pulled me up and into her arms. “I will never tire of you.”

We danced around the deck and paused to look across the Baie de Roquebrune towards Monte-Carlo. We owned many of the properties and hotels there. When we settled in the area several hundred years before, it was nothing more than a very small fishing village.

I often pondered the outcome of my life when we sat snuggled together in the living room and my eyes caught the glint of silver from my father’s sword that I hung over the fireplace mantle.

“Today is our anniversary. I bought a new dress for you, and I want you to wear the DeMonfort jewels. I’m going to take you on a sunset cruise on our yacht, then to dinner and dancing in Monte Carlo.”

“Which anniversary are we celebrating, Emma? The one where I took your name, and we became a married couple in the eyes of the world. The first day you made love to me? How about the last day I ever wore a corset? That was a wondrous event.”

“The first two since they happened to be the same day even if separated by a few centuries. Saida is coming with her new boyfriend to help us celebrate. You have that look again, Adelina.”

We started dancing again. “You never told me how much personal reflection you do when you live such a long life. I’m sorry, love. I’m very happy. I was just thinking back at how simple things used to be.”

Emma laughed and snuggled close to me. “I do not miss old-fashioned toilets and riding into town in our Bugati is infinitely more comfortable and thrilling than a carriage, however, I do miss the simpler times.”

“How is it that I still miss my mother and Harmony? She was such a beautiful and compassionate queen.”

“I miss her too, and her children. I wish we could have had our own.”

“It wasn’t long until we realized the nightwalkers were still sterile. Had the king only known when he wanted me to marry his son. There are only forty-three of us left in the world.”

“Dagon is coming next week for a visit. He says he will beat you this time.”

“I’m looking forward to his visit and we both know the outcome. He will be whining and moaning and have us take him for a fancy meal and drinks to make up for the misery I inflicted upon him.”

“You are so right, Adelina. I mourn Alastor still. It was nearly ten years ago he died in a plane crash. He never stopped trying to get you in his bed. I can’t blame him. You are so beautiful. There is not a man alive that wouldn’t give you everything they have for a moment of your attention.”

I slid my fingers to the back of Emma’s neck and tugged on her bikini string. As her top fell, I kissed her long and passionately. “Let’s celebrate early. We both know how Saida can talk and will keep us up all night. I will never get enough of you, darling.”

“Mmmm. My thoughts exactly.”

 

***

***

 

Dear readers,

Please take a moment to leave a comment or write to me personally about this story. I create stories like this as an outlet for myself, but it is your comments that encourage me to write more. I love hearing how the story took you away from your own problems, even for a moment or a few hours, or helped you in your own walk in this twisted world.

I hope you enjoyed this story… Many more to come.

Avia Conner

 

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

this was an amazing story

kept me enthralled from beginning to end.

thank you so much for sharing it with us

DogSig.png

Wow!

I normally don't like vampire stories. There are few exceptions to that mindset, but this story is a shining example of what it takes to become one of those exceptions!

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

You have left me feeling introspective.

Still immortal, baring catastrophic damage. Still sterile. But I wonder, have any of them tested if they can still turn someone?

A captivating tale that pulled me in and held on to me. While I was not fully able to ignore certain problems I face (physically), I did manage to set aside many other issue for the moment and enjoy the story that unfolded before me as I read.

Thank you.

.

- Leona

Turn, turn, turn...

Yes, I wondered that too. My impression when the curse ended was that they could still turn people, but just did not feel compelled to, to keep up the 777 numbers...

Maybe when they met up six months later, they agreed not to turn anyone new without a good reason...

Night and Day

Whenever I see a new Avia Conner story, I know it won't disappoint... ;)

After the curse was ended, maybe they should have started calling themselves Daywalkers to emphasize this, and maybe reduce the stigma a bit...

Thank you for another great story.

Action, Adventure, Love

BarbieLee's picture

Avia's stories are always full of adventure and love. I don't think the girl's mind knows any bounds as she invites us to follow her and read about mysterious places we would never know. This time she led us into the darkest recesses of a witchcraft broken spell cast out upon the world.
Several years back Avia thought about publishing her stories commercially. I encouraged her to do so as the rest of the world deserved the opportunity to read stories of this exceptional author. By the list of her stories one can realize she kept them here on BCTS for all of us to enjoy. I've read many of her stories three or more times, that's how good her writing skills are. I have favorites among her stories but that's human nature.
Hugs Avia, another exceptional story of love, courage, strength in one's self.
Barb
Life is a gift meant to be lived not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Exceptional!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Avia, your stories are always so incredibly well-crafted. Interesting and intricate plots, plenty of action, lovingly detailed descriptions, and characters that jump off the page. I read a lot of fantasy when I was younger, by amazingly talented authors who have no doubt sold millions of books. Your work — and this story in particular— are every bit as good.

I really enjoyed the relationships here. Elias with his mother and sister, Elias with Juliette, Adelina and Emma (hey, what a great name for a character!), Adelina and her “brothers,” and, maybe most, Adelina and Gavroche. The journey from hatred and fear to acceptance and even love . . . well. Let’s just say I was feeling the allegory. But perhaps, like Tolkien, you don’t care for allegory. :)

Thank you for sharing this with all of us here. May your fertile muse stay forever in your loving arms!

Emma

Wonderful!

It always seems far too long to wait for each Avia Conner story, but when they come they are always worth waiting for, and this was one of the best yet. Avia’s talent as a writer and storyteller just gets better and better, and this story really is outstanding.

I loved the main characters, and was just sad that Adelina couldn’t find a way to save Juliet once the truth was revealed to her. So much action, so much depth to the characters. It was, as usual a story that once I started I just couldn’t stop.

I love the fact that Avia’s stories are always so long, so you get a proper story that you can really enjoy. Avia is one writer whose books I would definitely buy if they were ever published. You keep writing them, Avia, and I will keep reading them!

Wonderful Story

Langalf's picture

This is an interesting take on the vampire mythos. Another nicely done story by one of my favorite authors.

Enter The Darkness

Great story, Need a Part 2.

This is an excellent story!

I lost count of the plot twists. A thoroughly enjoyable read and it’s one of your best. Once again, Avia, thank you for writing another wonderful story!

Exceptional as always

Every time I read one of your tales I am drawn into it, unable to stop reading until the end. Such impressive writing skills. Another interesting twist on a traditional genre.

Enter the Darkness? No enter the sunlight!

A well crafted story. That raised the Legends of Vampires to a new level.
I couldn't put it down. A true master piece, and such a special ending.

Polly J

I really enjoyed this..

Aine Sabine's picture

Story. But one bit sound similar to your Readers Choice. Considering how a Demon was the father of the Antagonist. But it was a very well thought out story. Thanks!

Aine