Package Delivery – 9 More Than A Boy Dreams

Printer-friendly version


Package Delivery – 9
More Than A Boy Dreams


By Jessica C



=^_^=


Sunday morning was a mixture of feelings as it had been a while since I went to church with my emotions focused on meeting someone I might have affections for. I dressed in a recent skirt and blouse ensemble that I liked, When I showed my sister Angie what I was wearing she took a pair of scissors to the bottom of my skirt to cut the threads that kept the bottom hem from opening. “There, you will look more like a girl who knows fashion.”

I thanked her and asked to use one of her light perfumes. She said, “This one is made with Amyris, your friend may recognize that you are not trying to overpower any fragrance she is wearing.” I could only tell it gave the scent of blossom. I would look up more information later.

I got to the Grace Church a little early hoping to see Kristy, but now worried how others might see me. Two minutes later and Kristy was coming back through the church doors. We made our way to a small balcony where mostly young adults gathered. We sat behind some of her friends and I was introduced.

There was one person named Riley and I wasn’t sure if the person was a girl or not. The slacks were unisex as was the plaid shirt. Twice I thought I saw the straplines of a bra. If they were they weren’t cuddling much.

The worship service was upbeat, but I can’t really say I paid good attention to the service. Kristy echoed the sentiment that acceptance was good. Something she said echoed in my thought, “Feeling loved by God helps me handle the hurts others might try to impose on me.”

After church, Kristy introduced me to her mother and father. She told them, “I will get a ride home from Shelby if you don’t mind.”

Mr. Miller said to me, “You look like a good person that we can trust; please tell me that’s so?”

I responded, “I think Kristy and I are both of good character, yes, you can trust me.”

He said, “It is just that if she wants to take you to her prom, it is her reputation that could be hurt in our community.”

I said, “Your home and her school aren’t that far from where I live. It will be our character that comes into question. If she thinks it is worth it. I like your daughter and I know how some might judge us. We’re putting some pressure on some others to step forward saying it is time to respect us as well.”

I turned a little more and looked Mr. Miller in the eyes, “Do you accept me?”

Mrs. Audra Miller spoke first, “Yes since Kristy was twelve, she’s opened my life. I trust her judgment in people.” We talked a little longer, even after Mr. Miller accepted my being with his daughter.

We walked around the church property waiting for her folks to leave. We were ready to get in my car when Kristy asked, “Would you please give me a kiss?” I thought it was a funny request and a little early, but I did kiss her. She put some passion in her kiss and I was pleased to match it.

We were in the car driving away when she giggled, “My Grandma has an old song she likes that says, ‘…it’s in the kiss.’ I know it’s too early but I can already tell love is possible.”

What she said reminded me of an old fashion ice cream shop that was close by. We drove around until 11:30 a little after it would be opening. I knew George the proprietor, but he wouldn’t be recognizing me. A high school girl came as our waitress. We both order a dish of ice cream and Kristy ordered a strawberry fizz and I a vanilla coke. I asked George if his old wind-up phonograph had a slow song.

He said, “You already seem to know that it does. If you’re worried that I won’t play it for two young women, you got me wrong.” It ended up being our first dance and our second kiss.

Not only did I pay the bill and leave a nice tip, but I left an extra five-dollar bill. I was sure George would have his young waitress take it. “I’ll see you again George.”

He said, “I think I know you but, I can’t remember your name. Have a good day you two.”

Kristy’s prom was to be on the first Saturday of May. Mine was to be the third Friday of May. She asked me to her prom and I accepted, but I wasn’t ready to invite her to mine.

I was home by 2:00; showered and changed to see Chad. He had to text me that he’d meet me like we agreed but at 3:30. We met in front of Aunt Anne’s, he bought a warm doughy pretzel that we agreed to share. I was very careful of dipping my pieces into the cheese. I, like Russ, often wore part of the cheese on my face or clothes. I credit my painted nails to have helped me avoid that.

Chad took me to a place that had gardens and a nature trail. The trail with some spring flowers was the one we chose. When Chad said, “Well, you’re in a good mood.” I readily agreed that I was, but I hoped he wouldn’t ask further if I hadn’t said more.

We walked on and I pointed out different flowers. I hadn’t known what Chad did, so I was surprised that he knew more of the flowers by name. He said what the different flowers were and knew these things impressed girls; it goes along with the heavy lifting that goes with these parks. He gloated that it kept him in shape for football. He asked, “Did you know I got half of a ride for my sports playing and a half for studying the environment?”

=^_^=


Then he said, “I’m still wondering about what has you in a good mood when we first met?”

I said, “Well you might as well know, as I don’t intend it to be a secret. I’m going to a prom with another girl early in May.”

Some of the wind went out of him until he asked, “What if I asked you to our prom? Would you go with me or are you set on going with her or Gilbert?”

I said, “I haven’t decided. I want to know why you like me?”

He said, “I was hoping you liked me. I was attracted to you as Russ and I’m more so with you being Shelby. I’ve liked the person you’ve become, not as shy and happier being you.”

He was holding my hand and I liked the fit. Not just that his was larger and strong, and mine smaller. His was tender in a strong way, and his fingertips had feeling. It was like we fit together.

My quandary was that Kristy and I seemed to fit as well. Then I thought about something Angie said, it was about clothes but kind of fitted here too, “If you don’t have to choose right away don’t. No one said you had to choose.”

I thought, ‘Chad already knows about my other invitation. I could be just as open to Kristy.’

We finished our walk and went back to the mall and I was wondering if Chad had changed his mind because he had not yet invited me to our prom. We walked to the back of the department store, where the fancy dresses were. He asked a salesperson, “What colors and styles would look good on her,” he asked, pointing at me?

Trish introduces herself, “Have you ever had your colors ever sorted out?”

‘No, I’ve always had to make do, with what was at hand.’

She showed me both a red and then a blue that seemed to wash the color from my face. “You could wear makeup to give you color, or you can look further. This red for you is vibrant. You’re not quite as outdoorsy as your date, but your skin is healthy and has its glow. There was a soft peach gown that I liked as well as one that was red with pink accents. Chad encouraged me to try on both. Both were very nice but the soft peach gown was the best hands down.

Chad said, “I’d love to take you to the prom and I’d like to pay for half of your gown. Will you go with me to our prom?”

I had Chad take a picture with my iPhone and sent the picture to my Mom and Angie. “I want you to know that I selected this prom gown to go with Chad to our prom. If it doesn’t go with the one Kristy chooses; I’ll be buying two prom dresses. Please don’t be angry with me.” I did explain that Chad was paying for half the cost of my gown.

Mom replied, “You and the gown are beautiful and we approve.”

“Nothing surprises me about you, go girl. Your sister, Angie.” I heard, Angie talking to my mother, “I hope she realizes that Chad is going to want something more.”

I heard mom’s reply, “She doesn’t owe him any such thing.”

Chad and I heard the same conversation, and I said, “This better come with no strings attached. I won’t tease you, but know this is not tied to any promise or expectation.”

=^_^=


It was Monday evening, when mom asked, “Would you mind if I had a mother/daughter talk with you?”

“Wow Mom, I think I’d like that very much.” We went to where Mom went for her quiet times. We talked a lot about me respecting myself and expecting respect. She didn’t tell me exactly what to do, but to be safe. “If anything happens you need to know you can call and we’ll be there for you, no questions.”

One of the more surprising things we talked about was my expectations; she said, “If you become friends, before the prom. There might be more possibilities to consider what Kristy or Chad might be hoping and expecting with you. You shouldn’t leave it all to the other person. What would you be wanting or expecting? Have you thought things through and are you prepared to do it safely?” She surprised me, “My worse moments when I hadn’t thought through what I wanted or was ready for.”

Mom said, “No one else can tell you when is the right time or what you should do, that should be something you’re ready to decide. Sex, whether it is a simple romantic kiss, touching one another, or going all the way should be beautiful when it happens.”

I asked, “Did you talk to Angie like this?”

My mom giggled, “More so than you might imagine, but I’m not telling you about her. She also paid attention and learned more when she had this at school.”

I knew the conversation went over an hour, but I was blown away that we were together for over three hours. I hugged her and said, “I don’t know if thanks are the right expression. I now know I’m a daughter and very lucky to have you as my mom.”

If it was me and my dad, I would have joked, but I would have felt embarrassed. Mom and I sat for a while, and it was at least a half-hour later that I stepped outside and gazed at the stars. When I finally went to my room, I rearranged some dolls and then just sat on my bed.

Angie walked by my room slowly. When she finally started to walk away, I asked if she’d come in.

I had called Kristy and told her I accepted an invitation to my prom. She paused and was quiet. “I’m glad you told me and that you want to go with me to my prom. I don’t know if anyone said anything, but you and I should go looking at prom dresses. They should be something we like and also compliments what the other is wearing, does that make sense to you?”

We talked some more, and while I was leaning toward getting a different dress for her prom, I was hoping my purse or shoes, and other accessories didn’t all need to be duplicated.

I was to go and begin looking with Kristy on Thursday and again on Saturday. Mom and dad both met me on Wednesday, to tell me that I was free to get what I wanted for each prom. They would help pay for it and provide some spending money.

I now feel I am ready to move on with my life. I have applied to go to college, something I hadn’t planned on. I’ve been accepted as Shelby, and I have an apartment next to the campus.

Regarding my prom with Kristy and my prom with Chad, let’s just say I’ve grown some but there’s more to experience.

The End of the beginning...

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very nice, mostly low drama

Very nice, mostly low drama story that reflects some of my old dreams.

Kathleen