A different Angel 09

Printer-friendly version

Ada 9

Tracy could feel the acceptance from her dad and she relaxed, Helen on the other hand was showing signs of worry. As earlier she was typical of a woman of her social status and back ground. Then as she saw the support her husband had for their child, she started to realise in herself that if she went to that way of thinking then she would harm her child. That realisation rocked her to the core again, it made her feel small for the second time that day.
“What will Richard think of me!” Tracy wailed ….........

A Different Angel 09

Just as that was happening at home Richard was waking up and smiling as he flexed his feet and toes. The pain in his back was now a rather dull ache and he was glad of that, what was surprising the doctors and physio was how quickly he was healing. From what he could work out a bruised spine was supposed to take months to heal not days.

As he mused on this a face peeked round the door of the room the hospital had put him in and a mop of rather shaggy blonde hair framed it. He couldn't make out whether the owner of the hair was a boy or girl but did look about the same age as him. Peering through the hair was the most piercing green eyes Richard had ever seen but they were a little marred by fear and flicked back and forth.

“hey don't just stand by the door comon in” Richard invited with a smile.

The other kid darted around the door and nearly pressed themselves up against the wall next to the doorway. It's gaze flicked around the room and rested on the small bag of sweets Richard had on the cupboard thing next to his bed. Richard used his arms to shuffle into a more seated position and grabbing the treats held the bag out. The kid darted forwards and quickly grabbed one and Richard was shocked to see some of the scars on what he could work out was a girl.

“Hey slow down I won't bite ya,” Richard said gently, “ I'm Richard but my friends well they call me strider coz I like to climb and stuff”

The girl looked at him and then at the door just as a nurse walked past and she dived down to hide under his bed. This behaviour was beginning to worry him, he was so not used to this especially in a hospital. He then realised that the scars and bruises on the girls body covered her legs as well as she hadn't really hidden that well as the legs could be seen.

“fanks Richard you can call me Steph.” The voice came from under the bed and he realised she was actually younger than him.

“Hey Steph pleased to meecha, ya don't have to hide the nurses here are cool.” Richard tried to get the girl to come out.

Slowly the legs were pulled under the bed and Steph's face replaced them as she turned onto her back to look up. There was a scared hope but also a look of someone desperate for a friend in those eyes and Richard being the type of boy he was couldn't help but want to become a friend and protector. Yes the poor boy had a bit of a white knight complex or so the shrinks would tell him if he ever saw one.

Steph got to her feet just as a nurse poked her head round the door and smiled at the two of them. Richard raised his left eyebrow and Steph giggled. He shook his head and patted the bed for Steph to sit and the girl did sit rather ungracefully.

“So what you in for?” Steph asked and Richard told her his story up to that day.

“So Steph what you in for?” Richard turned the tables.

Steph went quiet and again looked around as if she was looking for somewhere to hide again. She looked as though she was also expecting someone to attack her. This to Richard made her appear a lot younger than she was and he looked for the threat also. He was a little surprised when she started to scratch at the scars on her wrists and he reached forward to stop her.

“ Ya don't have to tell me but mebbe I can help” Richard kept his tone soft as though talking to a scared animal.

“No un can help” Came the soft reply and Steph hid behind her hair again.

There came a soft cough by the door and the two looked over and saw the ward sister standing there. Her look was soft as she smiled and held out a hand and motioned for Steph to join her. The outreached hand made the girl shrink back more and she almost seemed to climb up the bed closer to Richard. He wasn't a stupid child and he could see something was really starting to upset his temporary bed mate.

He shook his head and made a small gesture to the nurse looking at them. The sister nodded and with a smile left the two of them alone for a short while. Richard eased himself into a better position as his back was starting to ache and looked at Steph again raising his eyebrow. He remembered that when he did this his dad would say he looked like Mr Spock and that thought made him smile. Steph had calmed down again and turned to face him, her eyes had become even more haunted.

For a while the two just sat in silence, Steph then gave a heavy sigh and made to hop off the bed but Richard laid a gentle hand next to her on the bed. She looked in surprise at the gesture and a small smile lit up her face and then was gone in a fleeting second.

“look Richie ya shudden get too close to ma” Steph said sadly.

“lemme be the judge of that Steph, I'd call ya a friend and friends dun let friends suffer”

That caused her to look more closely at Richard and the haunted look softened. She let out a shuddering sigh and moved round to face him.

“I'm kinda special Richie, ya see I was called Stephen, but I kinda don't feel like a him”

….....

tbc where Richard learns that the world is not binary and sometimes angels aren't given wings or halos

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yaaay!

It's really nice to see more of what's happening with Richard, and it was a nice surprise to meet Steph! I'm really hopin' he'll be able to help her. She seems like somebody who could use a good friend. Thanks so much for continuing this story. :)

they write themselves in

giggles it's evolving she popped up mid write

to hug is to be and to be is to be hugged

view the world through the eyes of a child and relearn the wonder and love

Allie elle loved and cared for and resident of the kids camp full time

I've had characters...

...write themselves into stories too. While it's kinda thrown me for a loop at times, it also can make writing feel like an adventure! :)

poor girl!

"I kinda don't feel like a him" looks like Richie is going to have a trans friend even before he comes home to meet his soon to be sister

DogSig.png

Intro for his new sister?

Jamie Lee's picture

Richard being fit may have something to do with his recovery. Or he may have a metabolism that helps his body recover quickly.

It almost feels as though Rich is being introduced to a world he didn't know existed in order to understand his new sister.

Steph appears to have been abused because of her need, or has tried to hurt herself. That she's found someone like Rich will go a long way in helping her to trust again.

Others have feelings too.

An interesting chapter

I am going to be interested how this turns out.