The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 47 - Life through an Angel's eyes

Printer-friendly version

 

LTAAE.png
Book 47 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  Not all residents of
  Ram's Rock deal with global implications
  Sometimes, it's the day to day
  that makes all the difference

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be hyper-violent for some readers!

 

 


 

Life through an Angel's eyes

 
 
 

Ram's Rock Island, Bahamas:

The third youngest resident of Ram's Rock walked toward the hangar in deep thought. Not unusual for her, but today was different.

"Uncle Rodrick?" Mindy called out, entering the hangar.

Rodrick waved a hand from under the seaplane. "Over here, Pipsqueak."

Mindy walked over then crouched down. "Can I ask a question?"

"Sure. What's up?" Rodrick asked.

Mindy knelt down. "What do SEALs do?"

Rodrick was still working on the landing gear and replied. "Kill people, break things. Why?"

"Really Uncle Rodrick?" Mindy huffed.

Rodrick laughed. "Sorry kiddo. Knee-jerk answer. Ok. SEALs perform operations in and around water, mostly. We do rescues, sabotage, gather intel and assaults. We move under and on water, air and land. That's what SEALs do. Pretty much, we do quick-strike work."

Mindy seemed satisfied with that answer. "Oh."

Rodrick looked over. "Why ask?"

"Nobody ever really told me." Mindy answered.

"SEALs are pretty much the 911 call. There's not many places we don't go to do our thing. We do a lot of things. You could say we're the experts at becoming crash-course experts. We can learn how to do things fast." Rodrick explained. "How's that?"

Mindy nodded and got up. "Ok."

Rodrick watched her wander off then shook off her inquisitiveness and went back to work.

Lyssa had just put the twins down for their nap when Mindy walked in.

"Juice?" Lyssa asked.

Mindy nodded. "Yes Ma'am."

Lyssa set the glass on the bar after Mindy got up on the stool. "There you go."

"Aunt Lyssa, what does Special Forces do?" Mindy asked after sipping the juice.

Lyssa drank from her bottled water and answered. "Kill people and destroy things."

Mindy rolled her eyes. "That's what Uncle Rodrick said SEALs do. What does Special Forces really do?"

Lyssa smirked. "Alright. Special Forces are mainly Force Multipliers. What that means is; we go into countries and create militias and armies. Yes, we kill people and destroy things. We also teach and build things. We teach people to fight for their freedom. We also spy on the country we operate in. We rescue hostages, we also snatch high-level people for intel. We set up improvised medical clinics so that real doctors can come in when things are safe. We help leaders get together to work for a common good. That's the quick and dirty version."

"That's a lot." Mindy remarked.

Lyssa nodded. "Special Forces go into an area and they stay for a long time. Mostly, what people mean about Special Forces are the A-Teams. Those are fourteen member teams that go out and work. Each member can do at least two jobs and speak at least two languages. Once an area has been worked enough that conventional units can move into, the teams move to another area and set up."

"Oh." Mindy said then looked up. "But you did more than that. Those men that came here."

Lyssa nodded. "DemonWraiths. We all come from Special Forces and CAG, Combat Applications Group, you know them as Delta. They were never really called that. Some news guy hung it on them. DemonWraiths do rescue, assaults and high-level hostile extractions. That's what kidnapping high-level bad guys is called. We steal things and information on the enemy. We only answer to the commanding General of Special Forces and very few outside the Army know about us. That's all I can tell you."

Mindy finished her juice. "Ok."

Lyssa quirked an eyebrow as Mindy left. "That was interesting."

As Mindy reached the edge of the back patio Warlock trotted up and sat down as Mindy patted his head then stooped down in front of him. The Tactical Belgian licked her face as she scratched his ears.

"What do dogs do?" Mindy asked.

The shepherd tilted his head at her and made a growling yawn sound, as if he asked 'huh?'.

Mindy sighed and stood up. "Not fair that dogs can't talk."

Warlock watched her walk down the path toward the DeMarco house. He had no clue what the short two-legged said, but it seemed more important to her than it should be to him. With that, he went inside to check on the little ones.

Mindy wandered into the DeMarco kitchen and found Anna making tea.

"Buongiorno piccolo." Anna smiled.

Mindy watched her put the lid on the teapot and asked. "Miss Anna, what do maids do?"

“We clean up the mess other people make.” Anna answered with a sly smile as Mindy rolled eyes.

“You do more than that though for Nonnina.” Mindy countered.

Anna just smiled. “I think I know where you are going with that statement, little one. Yes, I do much more than that. I am Madam Maria’s first and longest acting Consigliere. The Consigliere is a position within the leadership structure of the Sicilian, Calabrian, and American Mafia. A consigliere is an advisor or counselor to the boss, with the additional responsibility of representing the boss in important meetings both within the boss's crime family and with other crime families. The consigliere is a close, trusted friend and confidant, the mob's version of an elder statesman; he is an advisor to the boss in a Mafia crime family, and sometimes is his 'right-hand man'. By the very nature of the job, a consigliere is one of the few in the family who can argue with the boss and is often tasked with challenging the boss when needed, to ensure subsequent plans are foolproof. In some depictions, he is devoid of ambition and dispenses disinterested advice. However, this passive image of the consigliere does not correspond with real-life consiglieri. In truth only one out a every twenty are ever close to that image. Most are very ambitious and are more than happy to act in their own interest. Does that answer your question?”

Mindy smiled and nodded her head yes as Anna finished making Maria’s afternoon tea and setting it to a tray. Mindy followed Anna into the office where Maria was.

Maria smiled. "Come to join me for tea?"

Mindy sat down on the sofa beside Maria and asked as Anna poured their tea. "Nonnina, what do assassins do?"

Anna froze in mid-pour and had to school herself in earnest. Mindy's openly frank question had her wanting to drop the teapot in surprise and also laugh at the directness of it. Only a child could do something like that and get away with it. Anna was now very interested in what Maria's response would be.

“We take out the trash of the human race.” Maria answered, only to get a rolling of the eyes by her secret niece claimed as granddaughter. “Okay, Neonata; I get the hint. First, you need to understand a few things. One, assassins are not soldiers. While both kill in the pursuit of their chosen duties. The assassin is usually trained by the military but goes into the private sector when they are discharged. Some are raised in the traditions of their individual families. Then there are the extremely few who are raised in such families and gain further training from the military. An example of this last one are your cousins, Kasey, and Kristine. They have been raised in the traditions of their respective families, the Capizeos and DeMarcos, but they have also been educated by your other Aunts and Uncles. The ways of computer warfare is but one of those ways. That is not always the case though, so do remember that.”

Mindy looked up at Maria with real interest. Maria didn’t know what was driving Mindy’s desire to know more about assassins, but she would be honest with her. “Secondly; there are different types of assassins. Just as there are many types of soldiers. Remember; assassins kill a politically important person or someone that they have been contracted to kill, either for money or from fanatical adherence to a cause. It depends on the situation. Those are two of the many motives for assassins; money or politics. Not all assassins follow a code of honor though. These are the politically motivated assassins. They don’t care who gets in their way when they kill. Remember this; the financially motivated assassin is the one to both fear and respect, Neonata. Not the fanatical assassin. I do not say this because the DeMarco and Capizeo families have this tradition Mindy. No, I say this because assassins such as those in my family follow a Code of Honor. This is what makes them so deadly. Did you enjoy your tea?”

“Si, Nonnina.” Mindy smiled and left the DeMarco home.

The two old friends looked at each other, but it was Anna who spoke first. “THAT was an interesting visit, my Donna.”

“Yes, it was, Anna. I wonder what brought on those questions.” Maria smirked. “I heard her asking you about being a maid.”

“Si, that was a very interesting question for her to ask. Not so much about being your maid, but your Consiglieri.” Anna looked out the window to where Mindy was walking towards the beach and her ‘thinking rock’. “I wonder; what has our piccolo asking such questions of us today?”

Mindy didn’t walk down to her thinking rock. Instead she headed for the Parkour course. She knew that Samantha, Annette, and her cousins were working the course today. The first person she saw though, was Hunter.

Hunter smiled at the third youngest member of the island population. “Hey pipsqueak. What brings you down here today?”

Mindy decided to jump straight to the heart of the matter. “Um… Uncle Hunter, what do Deputy Marshals do?”

“Chase down dirtbags and break their heads.” Hunter smirked, then got a rolling of the eyes from Mindy with a huff of pre-teen indignation. “Okay kiddo. Calm down. Don't get your nose bent out of joint. Deputy Marshals have a very large and diversified range of duties.”

“Like what exactly?” Mindy asked.

“Okay here is the quick and easy breakdown of our duties. The Marshals Service is responsible for apprehending wanted fugitives, serving federal arrest warrants, providing protection for the federal judiciary. You know, Judges, transporting federal prisoners, protecting endangered federal witnesses, and managing assets seized from criminal enterprises. Buildings, vehicles, and stuff. Does that help?” Hunter was hoping that Mindy didn’t ask about SOG Teams or the Black Badge Deputies.

Mindy seemed to accept that, then slammed him. “Are there any other duties that Deputy Marshals have?”

And there it was, Mindy had seen the Black Badges do a lot of stuff that wasn’t in his description and was calling him out on it.

“There are Special Operations Group teams that handle certain cases that your everyday Deputies don’t Mindy. SOG teams work all over the US and in all of its territories. They are also the ones that work ninety percent of the time with INTERPOL and the other International law enforcement agencies.” Hunter could tell that Mindy wanted to know about the Black Badges. “As for what we do as Black Badges; that is something that is TOP SECRET.”

“Ok Uncle Hunter.” With that Mindy finally headed off.

Sam and Annette walked over, with Annette asking. "Did Mindy want something?"

"I don't know. She asked what Deputy Marshals do." Hunter replied.

Sam gave him a puzzled look. "What do Deputy Marshals do?"

Hunter nodded. "Yeah. I told her the general duties. She said 'ok' and wandered off."

"Wonder what that's all about." Annette mused.

Hunter shrugged. "No clue."

They went back to their practice, trying not to dwell on it.

Mindy's wandering led her to the Eastern Beach. Carl was coming in out of the surf with his surfboard. He dropped it, blotted his face with a towel and grabbed a water bottle.

"Hey. Whatcha doin'?" Carl asked.

Mindy tilted her head and asked. "What do Loadmasters and Crew-chiefs do?"

The Californian winked and chuckled. "As little as possible!"

Mindy groaned and rolled her eyes. "Uncle Carl!"

Carl sat down. "We make sure loads and personnel are secure on the aircraft. We make sure they are loaded and unloaded or deployed correctly. How's that?"

"Works for me." Mindy replied then walked on.

"What's up with that?" Carl asked himself as she walked out of sight.

Mindy wandered until she came back to the hangars and went into the Main Hangar. Eddie was up on the Apache.

"Uncle Eddie." Mindy called from the floor.

Eddie didn't look, just called out. "Oh good. Bring me that socket wrench, squirt."

Mindy looked on the cart and called back. "One inch or half inch drive?"

"The One." Eddie answered.

Mindy took the tool and climbed up the stand to lean over to him. "Here."

"Cool." Eddie said and took it then went back to muttering profanity while he worked.

Mindy shook her head. "If Momma hears you, she's gonna make you gargle with solvent. If Nonnina or Miss Anna do, they'll use a wire brush on your mouth."

The mechanic grunted as he pulled then commented. "Don't let 'em in. Get the mutt to run interference or somethin'. No sharks."

"No more sharks Uncle Eddie, I promise." Mindy replied.

Eddie continued to work. "You better."

"What exactly does a mechanic do?" Mindy asked.

Eddie switched his angle and answered. "Fix things assholes break, without wrapping a wrench around their fuckin' necks, so they can go out and break it again. Why, you wanna be one?"

"I dunno." Mindy answered then climbed down and went up to the office.

Madison was in the office, hanging up the phone.

Mindy asked. "Aunt Madi, what do secretaries do?"

Madison blinked, thought for a second and slowly replied. "Well, most secretaries just answer phones, type letters and reports and file them. Assistants are more than that. They make schedules and keep them, along with the typing and so on, run errands. I guess you could say that such a secretary is their boss' connection to the world. Like a pipeline, you could say."

"Oh." Mindy remarked then wandered back out.

Madison was about to call her back but the phone rang, preventing her.

Over in Hangar 2 Dannigan was looking at the three 6x4x6 conex boxs standing open that held Lyssa's Racing Load-Out; three motorcycles, replacement parts and tools.

"WOW! Aunt Lyssa wasn't kidding!" Mindy remarked.

Dannigan nodded. "I'm surprised too. These were built for her back before I met her. She and Eddie are rebuilding them. A fake racing team, just go play with her old unit."

Mindy looked around to see if anyone else was with them then asked. "Uncle Paul, what do Directors do?"

The grizzled spook crouched down to her level and sighed. "That's a question not easily explained. I'll do my best though."

"Ok." Mindy replied.

Dannigan said carefully. "I protect secrets. I create secrets. I solve problems involving other agencies. I send people to do that. I find answers to questions. I control what people know. I do all these things to protect our country, protect ourselves."

"That sounds really hard and complicated." Mindy said.

Dannigan nodded. "It is. It's dangerous too. For me, and the people that I send."

"Like Aunt Lyssa, Aunt Maria and the others." Mindy guessed.

"Yes. It's dangerous for them. They go. Like I used to and still do, go. Like grandpa, mine, and your dad's father, went." Dannigan admitted then added. "It's all our hope, that you never go. We all want something different for you. Whatever it is, will be your choice, but we want you to be happy with it."

Mindy had a lot to think about. Slowly she turned and walked out. Dannigan watched and wondered if he gave her what she wanted, even though it was a candy-coated version.

Kimberly walked toward her daughter, sitting on a rock that faced the ocean. Mindy's 'thinking rock'. Kimberly sat up on it behind her and stroked her hair.

"Figure it out yet?" Kimberly asked.

Mindy shook her head. "No."

"So you went around and asked everybody what they do. Sweetheart, it isn't the time for you to do what you're meant to do. You still have a lot to learn before that. Right now, you do what you can. You can learn, so do that." Kimberly told her.

"If I do something different, nobody'll get mad?" Mindy asked.

Kimberly hugged Mindy close. "I watched Lyssa rehearsing one time, before you came. I was awe-struck. Quicker than I could blink, she spun around and her arm was out. I just barely heard the thunk and saw her knife quivering in the door. I thought my brain was going to turn inside-out. Not two seconds before, she had me so entranced that I had stopped breathing. I didn't want to do anything that would stop the moment. Then she showed how deadly she is. One, the other, both are her. My brain didn't want to put it together. Didn't want to function at all."

Mindy turned around and looked at her mother. "Really?"

"Then she looked at me and said 'Kim, all the world's a stage. Cast or crew, the show is there. I'm Cast. I can make time stand still for a little while. One day, I'll put on the greatest show on Earth. I'm going to stop hearts, freeze blood and melt minds. You can choose to be part of it or sit and watch. Your choice.' It took me a minute then I said, 'Part! I want to be part of it Lyssa!'. The world is a stage sweetheart, your show will come, and you will be Cast or Crew. I know, deep in me, that it will be great!" Kimberly told her daughter proudly. "You're my daughter, so it will happen."

Mindy sniffled, not even her birth mother had ever said anything like that to her. All she wanted was her new family to like her and they were constantly doing all they could to make her happy. They succeeded every day.

Kimberly kissed her forehead. "Come on. Tomorrow is a busy day, we have to go pack."

"Pack?" Mindy asked. "Where are we going?"

"CONUS. We're going with Lyssa to the test track so she can get her bikes ready. The Isle of Man race isn't too far off and that's going to be her next show." Kimberly smiled.


The next morning, Rodrick's C-130 flew away from the rising sun. Only Rodrick, Lyssa, Eddie, Kimberly, and Mindy were on board. They landed in Southern Utah at a small airfield. A flatbed 18-wheeler waited and was loaded with the conex boxes then followed them to the fenced in racetrack. After the boxes were unloaded, Lyssa changed into a set of black racing leathers and boots while Eddie and Rodrick brought out the motorcycles.

Kimberly set up two tables and with Mindy's help: computers, monitors, receivers and transmitters.

"Momma, why all the screens?" Mindy asked.

Kimberly answered with a smile. "There are cameras everywhere, we can watch her running the course. I have computers to monitor her and the bike. It's more than just get on and go fast. You'll see."

Mindy wandered over and watched as Lyssa checked over her racing gear and held out the helmet.

Lyssa smiled as she took it and ushered her over to the bike she was about to take out. "Looks cool, huh?"

Mindy nodded then asked. "What kind is it?"

"Buell Interceptor. Erik built these for me. They were secret. Nobody but me has ever ridden them." Lyssa confided then laughed. "The people that remember them are going to go crazy trying to figure out who I am and how I got them! This'll be lots of fun!"

Mindy giggled at that.

Eddie gave her a thumbs-up. "Ready on this one."

Lyssa went over and mounted the bike. "Kim?"

Kimberly called back. "Ready!"

The engine started and Lyssa dropped into gear and rolled out. Everyone gathered behind Kimberly and watched the screens. One showed a forward view from the bike and had what looked like a head's-up display in the corner. Lyssa was moving at 75 miles per hour and seemed to be going through the course at a leisurely pace.

"Eddie, you there?" Lyssa called over the radio.

Eddie put on a wireless headset and answered. "Yeah."

"Front suspension is too hard." Lyssa reported.

"Right." Eddie made note. "What else?"

Lyssa grunted then answered. "Rear suspension too. I'm turning back now."

Fifteen minutes later; she was back out and they were watching again. Same speed, but looked like she was wanting to go faster.

"Going to have to loosen it more." Lyssa reported. "Shit. I forgot. I was fifty pounds or so heavier, back then."

Eddie called back. "Yeah. That would be a big difference. Go on all the way around and bring it in then."

"What's all that mean?" Mindy asked.

Eddie answered, gesturing with his hands. "It means that the bike isn't traveling, moving up and down, enough. She hits a bump at high speed, she'll get thrown off the bike if it doesn't go off the pavement. By loosening the suspension, it increases the movement and gives her a more stable ride."

"Oh." Mindy said. "Why was it doing that?"

"Lyssa weighed more back when she used to ride these bikes. She weighs less now, that makes a difference." Rodrick explained.

When Lyssa came in, Mindy offered her a bottle of water. Lyssa drank while Eddie made the adjustments.

"This might be too soft, but I need a better starting point." Eddie said as Lyssa remounted.

Ten more times Lyssa came in for adjustments. Finally she seemed to like it and began to increase speed. Two laps and she came in again.

Eddie went over. "What's wrong?"

Lyssa shook her head in disgust. "I have to pee, of all things."

That made them all laugh. Soon enough, Lyssa was back out on the track. She made three laps, increasing her speed each time.

On the third lap, Lyssa called in. "Eddie. It's lagging. Wait."

They heard a loud pop over the radio and she announced. "Backfire."

Eddie and Lyssa worked together on the engine for half an hour.

"It is more complicated than just get on and go fast." Mindy affirmed, handing tools to Eddie and Lyssa.

Lyssa nodded. "Yeah. Racing bikes are temperamental. They demand constant attention. There. Got it."

A minute later Lyssa rode out again. The display showed she was increasing speed.

"YEAH!" Lyssa called out and went up to 150 on a straight then banked hard for a turn and came out, accelerating.

Her front wheel came up and she held it as the speed climbed.

Mindy giggled. "Aunt Lyssa wheelied!"

Eddie laughed. "Yeah. They do that a lot. Looks cool anyway."

Mindy watched one of the views of a track camera and saw Lyssa bank over hard for a sharper turn and gawked. "WHOA! How can she do that and not fall down?"

"Centrifugal force. She leans in and the force is trying to throw her back over. Like on a roller coaster, do a loop and the force holds you in the seat." Rodrick said.

Mindy then asked. "G's?"

Eddie nodded. "Exactly. She's pulling G's on the turns."

Several times Mindy saw the front wheel come up. It seemed to her that it was supposed to happen. It also looked like Lyssa liked it. On the next sharp turn Lyssa had slowed down, a pop was heard then she suddenly swore and they saw the bike go down. Lyssa and the bike slid in opposite directions.

"LYSSA! ARE YOU OK?" Kimberly demanded.

Lyssa groaned. "Ow. That fucking hurt. I'm ok."

"What happened?" Eddie asked as Rodrick went over to the truck.

Lyssa answered. "Felt a shimmy then the tire blew. Should've changed tires last time I came in."

"On our way." Eddie said then jumped into the truck with Rodrick.

Ten minutes later they came back, and Lyssa climbed down from the flatbed. They unloaded the bike from the truck, into its conex box. Eddie brought out another bike and quickly adjusted it to the same as the first bike. Lyssa rested for an hour while the data was reviewed, and more adjustments made. Then she went out again. A lap came in for adjusting and back out again. Two hours and she finally broke 200 miles per hour on a straight. Lyssa came in after that.

"Two hundred." Eddie said after she pulled off her helmet.

Lyssa took the water offered by Mindy and nodded after a drink. "Yeah, but I could only hold it for a few seconds then felt the power drop."

Eddie looked confused about that and went over to Kimberly's computer to review. He found what he needed and shook his head. It was going to be a late night.

Bright and early, they were all back. Lyssa was now roaring through the course.

"How fast is she going, Momma?" Mindy asked.

Kimberly replied firmly. "One-eighty. Her average is around one-forty to one-forty-five."

Rodrick nodded. "She's trying to find a groove."

Kimberly looked down and smiled. "Want to hear?"

Mindy nodded, so Kimberly turned on the feed. Hard-driving vocal trance came from the speakers. Labored breathing, grunts of exertion and growls of determination could also be heard.

"Wow! Aunt Lyssa sounds like she's wrestling a mountain lion!" Mindy commented.

Eddie chuckled. "Not far off, pipsqueak. More like; she's trying to break a bronco riding a rocket sled on a roller coaster track."

"With a cross-wind." Rodrick added.

Every three laps Lyssa came in to change tires, refuel, make an adjustment then roar back out. Soon she was launching out of the Pits with the tires screeching, smoking and the front wheel coming up slowly to hold until she reached one hundred miles per hour before coming back down.

"YEAH!" Eddie pumped his fist.

Kimberly smiled at Mindy. "She found it. Lyssa's in her groove. Now she'll really move."

All four stood glued to the monitors as speeds climbed higher than before, bank angles were steeper, and Time narrowed. Lyssa was riding more steady, less regard it seemed. She was becoming bolder in her moves. Three laps, a Pit and back out. Lyssa rode as if possessed. Or obsessed.

As the Snake-bend, a tight S-shaped curve, closed; Lyssa called in. "Clearance to Engage?"

That was when Kimberly really smiled and switched songs for her. "Twenty-seconds. Standby to Engage."

All eyes turned to her in confusion as Kimberly continued to smile then counted down the last five seconds until Lyssa entered the first turn then announced and turned up the music. "Cleared to Engage! GO LYSSA, GO!"

Previously Lyssa had been slowing down to take the turns at twenty-five to thirty miles per hour. All but Kimberly's jaw dropped as she took the two tight turns at fifty with perfect control as tires protested and came launching out like a missile. Within what seemed like only a heartbeat, she had cleared the Snake-bend, coming out of a cloud of smoke, and streaking down the lane at over a hundred and twenty on her back wheel and still accelerating. Minutes later she rounded a Hair-pin turn the same and hit the straight.

Mindy shook her head as Lyssa passed the quarter mile mark of the straight. "No way! She's doing two hundred. FOR REAL?"

Apparently, the mic was hot because Lyssa breathed in content. "It's as clear as the sky. CLEAR AS THE SKY, TO ME!"

Kimberly sang along. "I hear, my father call. Don't let silence fall. In your heart, I will rest with you."

Lyssa sang along going through a turn to come out, sounding strained, but in content. "I hear, my father call. I won't, let you fall. It's as clear as the sky. Clear as the sky; TO ME!"

Mindy saw Lyssa had shifted gears and the nitrous oxide had been triggered as the numbers jumped again, two-hundred and thirty-five miles per hour. A heartbeat later, the bike passed them with the scream of an engine giving its total worth. Mindy looked up to the monitor to see the numbers drop and bank angle indicator jump as the picture itself turned on its side. Another camera showed the bike almost flat to the surface and Lyssa's knee skimming the pavement with a hard protector.

"This is their idea of fun?" Mindy stared at the screen.

Rodrick patted her back. "Yep."

"Bat-stuff crazy." Mindy remarked.

Eddie smirked at her. "Like you ain't, on the soccer field."

Mindy had to giggle. She was very aggressive and used risky moves, but at most she would score and at the least, confuse opposing players. Soccer was a constant love, diving was her second and flying came in a very close third. Ballet was fun and helped her keep strong, but also gave her grace.

When Lyssa came in again, Mindy brought her a bottle of water. Eddie and Rodrick were changing the back tire then the front.

"Aunt Lyssa?" Mindy asked and at the nod asked. "Are you ok? It sounds like you're having it rough out there."

Lyssa smiled at her concern. "It isn't easy to do this. If I didn't exercise like I do, I'd have been jell-o by the end of the day yesterday. I'll be sore before we leave, but massage helps. The big trick is to keep moving or I'll cramp up."

"Mama said the British are coming again." Mindy changed the subject.

Lyssa nodded. "They came before. It'll be different this time since the island changed a lot since the last time."

Mindy frowned and Lyssa didn't miss it. "Are you worried about so many strangers?"

"Yes Ma'am. The island is all about secret stuff, and I'm secret stuff." Mindy explained.

Lyssa sighed and sat on her helmet. "Melinda, please stop that. You are very important. You, like all women in the world, have secrets. Trust me, you are backstopped like nobody else in the world is. Even better than me and my legend is beyond bullet-proof. The Brits are coming, yes. You have nothing to worry about. You've practiced your legend until it became reflex. They won't see through you, I promise."

Mindy seemed to settle down and asked. "What about Tammy? Is she coming with them?"

"Actually, she is. She's bringing her fiancé, Maisie, with her. The catch is, only Tammy knows she's been to the island before. Give a day or two and then you can be friendly with her. The main force will ignore you. Well mostly. Some of them are big on soccer so they might want to play on your practice field. The Special Boat Service guys will take interest when you dive, they're the British version of SEALs." Lyssa said.

"So; loud, rowdy and break stuff." Mindy remarked.

Rodrick overheard and laughed. "For the most part, but since they're Brits, they say 'I beg your pardon' a lot."

Mindy quipped. "Then they break stuff?"

"Then they break stuff." Lyssa grinned.

"Will we see Tammy at the race?" Mindy asked.

Kimberly nodded. "Sure. Two of her businesses are being listed as sponsors."

"Do I have enough now?" Lyssa asked.

Kimberly shook her head. "Eighteen. One more puts us at the mark. Five more would be better, but they'd require explaining."

"What about Nonnina and them? How do we explain them to the British?" Mindy asked.

"We don't." Kimberly said then went on. "We leaked some info for them to find and it suggests why they are on the island, but they won't be around when the British show up. They've already planned to be on leave. Maria is going to Washington, Anna and Angelica are going to Italy and the others are going to the Reservation to visit Bobby's family."

Mindy took that in then asked. "What about Aunt Krystal?"

"You mean Krystie Ellory, who works in billing and accounting for RamAir and Technology Consultant for Elegant Executive?" Lyssa grinned.

Mindy stared in surprise then tilted her head. "Has that been her cover the whole time?"

Lyssa and Kimberly laughed and said in unison. "Yep."

"And I didn't see it coming from a mile out." Mindy groaned. "You adults have too much fun coming up with that stuff."

Eddie called out. "Ok, Lyssa. Bike Three is ready. Bike One needs a new fairing but the engine is good. When we get back home, I'll fix that then repaint them all."

Lyssa got up, put her helmet back on and went out. Three laps, a pit and three more then came in. That was the final checkout of the bikes. Everything was reloaded for their return to the island.


Monday morning Mindy hugged her father then got out of the jeep at Lucaya International School and began walking to the front doors. Lucaya International School provided education to both Bahamian and foreign residents, usually expatriates. It had been chosen for her due to the large number of former American, Canadian, and British children. It ran the full range of grades; therefore, Mindy would remain there until graduation.

"MINDY!" A girl called out.

Mindy looked and smiled. "Hey Amanda!"

Together they walked inside the school, meeting up with another girl.

"Morning Jennifer." Mindy greeted.

Jennifer smiled and answered in her gentle accent. "Good morning."

All three were in the same class and had started at the same time. Being new to the school, the trio became friends fast. Amanda's family moved to the Bahamas from Winnipeg, Canada and Jennifer's family came from Sheffield in South Yorkshire, England. The main bond of the friends was their love for soccer.

"Do anything over the holiday?" Jennifer asked.

Amanda shrugged. "Granny came to visit."

"Went to the states." Mindy replied.

Trips to the U.S. excited her friends. "Ooh, tell us!"

Mindy shook her head. "Nothing special. Parts and stuff for the planes and helicopters. Some grocery stuff we can't get here too. Oh, and Aunt Lyssa had a meeting with some people about an ad campaign, or something like that."

Mindy reached into her backpack and pulled out two packets of cookies and offered one to each of her friends. "I got these."

Jennifer read the wrapper. "Billy Jack's?"

"It's a restaurant in Dallas. It has good barbecue. It was funny, the waitress went a little crazy when she realized Aunt Lyssa was at the table. She fan-girled over her." Mindy giggled.

Jennifer and Amanda giggled as well. They too had been awestruck at meeting Lyssa. Maria DeMarco charmed the girls on their first meeting. Mindy's friends enjoyed any time they were able to visit the island. Their favorite thing to do was, of course, playing on the beach. Carl had given them surfing lessons as well as snorkeling and diving. Soccer and water were their shared passions. Naturally, Amanda and Jennifer joined her in ballet school. Relishing guest teaching by Maria and Lyssa. Mindy was thrilled when her Aunt Tiffany was able to visit, even more so now that she had become a Prima.

Classes went by as usual and afterward was soccer practice. Mindy felt like she was racing the wind itself and could fly. True, she was the fastest on the team, but it was her highly risky moves trying to score that caught attention. The opposing teams had begun to try blocking her, so her mind worked fast, and she began using her flashy moves to pass instead. Because of the teachings by her parents, aunts and uncles, Mindy was able to work with her teammates to use subtle signals and calls during the match to change their plays.

During the coach's talk several of the girls became distracted and began nodding Mindy turned to look. Her mother was on the sidelines, watching, as was Tiffany.

"Alright girls, good practice. That's all for today." The coach said and waved them off.

Mindy ran for the sideline and hugged her mother and aunt. "Aunt Tiff!"

"Hey kiddo!" Tiffany smiled. "Looking snazzy out there."

Mindy smiled. "I do ok, but I'm not a ball-hog. I pass a lot."

"Uh-huh. The other teams figured out you were dangerous, didn't they?" Tiffany smirked.

Kim chuckled. "They did and doubled the coverage."

They turned and began walking to the parking lot.

Tiffany tugged at Mindy's ponytail. "For all the good that did them, right?"

"Right!" Mindy giggled.

"I saw a bunch of hand signals out there. Sounded like you use code words too. Mindy-girl, are ya'll being sneakier than the average girls' soccer team?" Tiffany poked at Mindy's side.

"Qui? Nous?" Mindy asked all innocently.

Tiffany wasn't buying the act. "Oui. Vous! Méchante fille. Play nice."

"I do. We still want to win though." Mindy laughed.

At the jeep Tiffany opened the back door. "In, lil' monster."

On their way, Mindy asked. "How long are you home for Aunt Tiff?"

"The week, then I go to the states for another week. I missed Mardi Gras in New Orleans." Tiffany griped.

Kim shook her head. "No bitching, you were in Rio."

"Yeah! Was Carnival fun? Aunt Lyssa said you were a guest. A...a...Marena? Oh, what do you call it?" Mindy struggled to find the word.

"Madrinha, sweetie. Godmother." Tiffany corrected her gently.

Mindy repeated. "Madrinha. Okay, but you were in a parade still. That's a big thing."

"She's playing it down so you wouldn't get all worked up, honey." Kim commented.

Tiffany turned to look at her niece. "Yes, sweetie. I was in one of the parades. A new samba school had formed and they're okay with non-Brazilians in their parade group. Two of the girls are models and know me, so they invited me to be in it. I walked with the drum battery, but I wasn't the queen or princess. The queen and princess are locals and hold the titles for a long time. The muse and godmother can be celebrities and hold the title once. At least for this school. Other schools have different rules."

"And she gave the school a big donation." Kim smirked.

Tiffany sat there smugly. "AFTER they invited me. I didn't buy the honor, but I made it worth them giving it to me."

"You got to be in a parade at the Sambadrome, right?" Mindy asked.

Tiffany nodded back. "Yeah. Before you ask; yes, there's video and you can watch AFTER dinner."

"After? Oh pooh!" Mindy pouted.

Tiffany smiled. "Homework done and dinner eaten, then you can watch the parade."

Mindy knew she couldn't win. "Okay."

"Hmm. Sounds like she isn't interested in her presents from London, Geneva or Rio, Tiff. Maybe next time she'll have more enthusiasm." Kim commented.

Tiffany hid her smile. "Guess so. You'd think she'd be more excited with me cooking dinner tonight."

"NO NO! I'M EXCITED!" Mindy protested. "Please, Aunt Tiff?"

Tiffany looked back. "Nihongo De."

Mindy understood she was to ask again in Japanese and did so. "Tiffany obasan onegaishimasu?"

"Sore wa haruka ni yoidesu." Tiffany said, meaning much better.

Mindy was used to her aunts and uncles suddenly breaking into another language to keep her skills up. In fact, her language skills came into use many times at school. As many students came from foreign countries and English would be a second or third language for them, Mindy ended up being asked to translate for them. In fact, those students in the same grade as her would be transferred into her class and a strong English-speaking student switched to another class. The only problem came when she had to translate into several languages at the same time. Then everybody would be confused, and she would have to go slower. Though she was a moderately nice person, there were those that had prejudices. They quickly discovered it was almost impossible to use another language to talk about her in the same vicinity.

"So, how's it going with the kids in school?" Tiffany asked.

"I've been behaving." Mind admitted.

Kim nodded. "The rowdier kids have learned not to mess with our Mindy."

"Oh, so no recent calls from the school about her fighting?" Tiffany laughed.

Kim shook her head. "After she broke that Turkish boy's fingers, that put an end to it."

"That was four months ago. What'd he do again?" Tiffany asked.

Mindy snarled. "The snot reached under my skirt tried to pull my panties down, in the middle of the hall!"

"He'd done it several times to other girls. You know the drill; the mother had no say and his father was the usual. 'Boys will be boys and girls should know to put up with them.' That old shit." Kim stated.

Tiffany rolled her eyes. "Oh. You never said what happened when the asshole showed up."

"Screamed and hollered for Mindy to be expelled. Wanted to whip her, blah-blah-blah." Kim waved her hand dismissively.

Mindy giggled. "Mama beat the crap out of him!"

"KIM! You didn't!" Tiffany started laughing.

Mindy nodded her head, still giggling. "Right there in the Principal's office! Two black eyes, busted his mouth, broke his nose and then she went to work on 'im! Nonnina was there too, and she threatened to skin him alive!"

Tiffany shook her head. "Madam Maria DeMarco just threatened? Since when?"

"Well, she didn't have anything in her hands, right then. Well, kinda." Mindy explained. "She had him by the jewels and said it while he was doing the whole whimper and snivel thing."

Tiffany was laughing. "So, he walked out funny."

"Not exactly. He pretty much crawled out. Things have been quiet ever since. For some strange reason." Kim shrugged.

Tiffany still laughed. "I miss all the good shit."

"You got to meet Tammy." Mindy reminded. "Mama told me you sent her tickets."

Tiffany knew they wouldn't tell her the actual story, so she went with that. "Yeah. I sent her tickets. She's nice. I like her. Jury's out on the fiancé, we didn't talk much."

"They'll be with the contingent coming soon." Kim informed her.

Tiffany looked back at her niece. "Hey. Be nice with the Brits, Cha. No fish in the bathtubs, crabs in bunks or alert sirens in the middle of the night."

"Or sharks in Lyssa's pool." Kim added.

Tiffany slid her sunglasses down a bit. "Oh, we're sharking the pool now? That's new."

"It was a baby one and I only did it to Uncle Pete." Mindy tried to play it down.

Kim looked back using the mirror. "It was a foot and a half long tiger shark and it bit him on the arm, Melinda Valerie."

"Ain't pulling that again anytime soon, are you?" Tiffany asked.

Mindy shook her head. She had spent a long time grounded on extra-duty for that, plus an actual spanking. All the younger residents on the island now understood where the line was drawn concerning pranks. Back on the island Kim returned to the office and Mindy helped Tiffany with her luggage. In Tiffany's cottage the sorting of laundry was followed by the unpacking of boxes that had shipped. Souvenirs and other items were placed on shelves and various other places while their significance was explained. A blooming thistle encased in clear resin was set on a shelf.

"What's that?" Mindy asked.

Tiffany grinned. "Oh, I picked this up in Thurso in a little shop by a real estate agent's office. There's a cute little boutique, too. Sells a lot of wool from the islands."

"You mean Tammy's office!" Mindy began to giggle.

Tiffany allowed her natural accent out. "Could be, Cha. You don't think that Sarah girl-buddy of Tammy ever mentioned some Fräulien come visit for skirts?"

Mindy was laughing now. "Probably not Tante Tiff! That's pretty funny nobody recognized you."

Tiffany sat Mindy down in front of her laptop and brought up pictures and both laughed. There were pictures of Tiffany in front of Tammy's office, the theater with an elderly man, with Sarah in her shoppe, in the Castletown hotel with Frances and even a picture in front of Tammy's house.

"Who's that?" Mindy pointed to the last selfie with a local woman.

Tiffany grinned. "Joan Smart, at the gate of St.Andrews school."

Mindy fell over laughing. She had peeked at Tammy's social media accounts and knew that was her school and the woman was her stepmother.

"And you’re telling ME to play nice with the Brits?" Mindy protested.

Tiffany arched an eyebrow. "Nobody got shark-bit in a swimming pool."

Mindy rolled her eyes. "No. You'd throw an alligator in it."

That night, Tiffany cooked dinner at the Lando cottage and afterward, played the video of the parade.


The next day after school Mindy made her usual stop at the DeMarco house. It was strangely quiet. Mindy found Angelica in the kitchen.

"Buongiorno." Angelica greeted her.

Mindy blinked. "Where are Nonnina and Miss Anna?"

The former nun answered. "They are over at Prima Lyssa's house again."

"Again?" Mindy was puzzled.

Angelica nodded. "Si. This project seems to be very involved."

"Gratzie." Mindy replied and started to head out but stopped. "Can I ask a question?"

Angelica nodded. "Si."

"Why don't you like people calling you 'Sister' anymore?" Mindy asked.

Angelica sighed. "I learned the hard way that not all tests of Faith come from our Lord, God. The church gives tests as well. This past test of my faith did not go well. Though I still pray and believe in God. I have learned several valuable truths. The first of which is even among those calming to be pious there are those who only seek to serve themselves. Because of this I no longer believe that my place lies within the church. I was faced with a hard choice to make. To follow my vows to my Order allowing myself to be manipulated by those above me or I can be true to myself and my honor. I choose the latter. In making that choice I discovered something else. I am not able to follow the way of Assassins, I am a thief. Yes, if my hand is forced, I can kill in self-defense. By helping your nonna and nonno I can be a thief that serves a greater good in the world. God will guide me to steal back things wrongfully taken and return them where they belong."

"Is that why you wear regular clothes and only go to church on Sundays?" Mindy asked.

"Si, Mindy." Angelica answered then gently cupped her cheek. "Please do not misunderstand. I do not hate God. Sometimes there are members of the church who are not true. For this, I do not trust the church. I have done things that I am asking God to forgive me for. I must serve penance. Remember stealing is a sin. Even when done for the greater good."

Mindy frowned. "I don't think I could be that nice about it."

"You are not me. You must do what your heart tells you. I must do as my heart tells me. You are still young Mindy. I hope you never know hatred. It is a poison for the soul." Angelica said then kissed her forehead. "Che tu possa sempre conoscere la pace di Dio."

"Gratzie, Angelica." Mindy said then left.

Mindy knew there had been some friction a while back and no one wanted to tell her about it. In fact, it had seemed that some kind of division had formed between the two groups. For Maria and Anna to both be at Lyssa's house to work on a project it had to be very serious. Mindy walked around to the patio to go inside and was surprised to see Warlock lying on the grass. The Belgian rolled to look at her and made a low sound similar to a groan then rolled back over. Mindy walked in and saw Kasey and Kistrine playing with the twins in the living room.

"What's up?" Kasey greeted.

Kristine smiled. "Hey there."

"Hi." Mindy replied as the twins all but threw themselves at her to hug. "Hey monsters."

"MIMI!" Alex and Ally squealed happily and attached themselves to her.

Mindy managed to get the two loose, asking. "Why are you two watching the twins?"

Kristine grumped. "Somebody has to."

"Yeah. We can't actually help in there." Kasey added.

Mindy was even more confused. "Where?"

Kristine pointed to the hallway. "In the studio. They're all in there."

"Like, all day, in there." Kasey said. "We haven't been trained enough yet."

"Yeah. We don't know enough dances. That's why we can't help." Kristine said then shrugged. "Sucks, but true. After they figure it out we might be able to help."

"Figure it out?" Mindy repeated then went to the studio in confusion. "Figure what out?"

Mindy stopped in the doorway. This was a sight she'd never seen before. Lyssa, Maria, Samantha and Tiffany were all in dancewear while Anna and Annette were sitting in chairs with notepads. None were actually dancing, they were all talking in ballet terminology and naming dance sequences. Lyssa being well versed in Balanchine and Vaganova, Maria specializing in Cecchetti and Vaganova and Tiffany who also was versed in Balanchine and Vaganova but was also studying the French School. In short, all three focused on two styles; Classical and Romantic. To see all three in the studio and seeming to be working in collaboration was beyond rare. It had only happened three times previously. Two secret training sessions for Kasey, Kristine and Mindy, the third for a charity performance to benefit a children's hospital.

Mindy smiled at that memory. All three had worn masks for the performance and never revealed their participation. Even Samantha and Annette had dance masked as well. Oddly enough, over three million dollars had been raised. Her current problem was that with four different methods being discussed, naturally four different languages were being used. Russian, Italian, English and French. The English was no problem and she understood most of the Italian, but only catching most of the Russian and a little of the French.

"They've been going at it all day." Kristine muttered behind her, holding Alison.

Mindy shook her head. "I don't get it, just what exactly is going on?"

"New production. All original. A producer Prima Lyssa knows called her." Kasey said while holding a squirming Alex.

Mindy followed her cousins in to sit along the wall and watch as Lyssa finally started to dance to a piece of music Mindy had never heard before. Mindy would look up to the notepad Anna held and could see diagrams for footwork draw. A glance at Annette's notepad had the narration of terms for each movement.

"This is really complicated." Mindy commented.

Anna nodded. "Si, piccolo. This is why so many dances today are simply variations of those created in the late eighteen-hundreds. It has been a long time since Donna Maria has worked on a production from scratch, as it were. Many days she almost began tearing at her hair. We were young then."

Lyssa had stopped and was listening to Maria describe a change of movements then go through them. After a few minutes a problem seemed to work out and Lyssa began the sequence again. The changes looked to smooth things out. Tiffany then took center floor and danced the sequence so Lyssa could see how it looked as well. Suddenly she was called to stop and a quick discussion took place. A suggestion was made by Samantha and another by Lyssa then Tiffany restarted. Both revisions immediately seemed to meet with approval. Tiffany danced the sequence again then Lyssa returned to centerfloor and danced.

Lyssa went up high into an arabesque and held it for a moment then swore as she fell over.

"Are you alright?" Maria asked in concern.

Lyssa nodded and moved to sit. "I'm ok."

"What happened?" Samantha asked, she had never seen Lyssa falter, much less actually fall before.

Lyssa began untying her ribbon-laces. "My shank snapped. Pop, fuck, floor. Another pair bites the dust."

"Those don't look that old." Samantha remarked.

Lyssa thought about it. "Two months? Maybe? I usually go through a pair every ten weeks or so, unless I'm doing a show."

Maria shook her head. "Yes, but that was before. You've been dancing more lately."

"There's that." Tiffany agreed.

Annette spoke up. "Still, you put a lot of hours on that pair. They hold up better than the ones you used to wear, don't they?"

"Yeah. These are the signature line. I won't gripe, they did hold up better. Time for a new pair, but I'm going to log the hours. Might be a selling point." Lyssa mused.

Maria smiled. "It would be. Perhaps we should take this as a good stopping point today?"

The group mutually agreed and the four began their cool down. Soon the twins began to demand Lyssa so she nodded. "Unleash the terror."

Kasey and Kristine patted the twins who then rushed their mother for hugs and kisses.

"Predator babies; cool." Tiffany snerked as the twins swarmed Lyssa.

Lyssa pretended to fallback from the twins, laughing. "Oh help. My position's been overrun. Rugrats have penetrated the inner perimeter!"

Warlock came in, saw the play and joined in. He used his snout to push the twins in separate directions, both on and off Lyssa then would jump back, crouch down and let out a 'bork'. The twins then took his challenge and began climbing over the Belgian. Soon Alison was on his back, like a horse and Alex was being held carefully by the back of his short-all.

"Better watch it, Warlock might just tote you two off and bury you with the chew sticks he has to hide from you." Lyssa quipped as Warlock circled the studio.

Everyone laughed at Lyssa's joke. It was true to a point. Warlock had resorted to hiding his chew sticks from the twins after they started crawling to keep them to himself. It had taken time for them to understand his food and water bowls weren't meant for them. All the fun had to stop when Ali's voice called out.

"Potty." Alison said, looking at Lyssa.

Lyssa was immediately on her feet. "Warlock. Nieder. Aus."

The tactical dog immediately laid down and released Alex's collar. Lyssa scooped up the twins and hurried upstairs.

"That training seems to be going well." Tiffany remarked.

Maria sighed. "Like all mothers, Lyssa did have to remember to be patient, but she has managed. I remember when Annette and Samantha had their time."

"Don't start again." Samantha groaned.

Annette nodded. "Definitely. Embarrassing us for the twins' sake is one thing Mother."

Mindy giggled. "None of that for me."

"Don't worry, piccolo. When the time is appropriate, we will invent some." Anna gave a sly grin.

Kasey and Kristine began laughing and nodded that they would also participate.

Maria looked over and smiled. "Tiffany, do you recall that time early on; our dear Mindy gave us the two-minute warning, fifteen minutes after it was needed?"

Mindy's jaw dropped. "You wouldn't, Nonnina?"

"Or that time poor LoneStar was playing horsey for her and she peed all down his back?" Samantha asked, looking at Mindy as if she were precious.

Tiffany shook her head as she hugged Mindy from behind. "How could any of us ever forget the first time she was taken to the ballet? Opening night and Kim had her on her lap. An eleven-hundred dollar gown; ruined in twenty seconds with the echoing announcement of I tinkle, Mommy!"

"That's so wrong." Mindy groused.

Annette grinned. "And what have we learned today?"

"You guys are just pure evil." Mindy glared up at her aunts.

The appraisal met with nods and grins while Kasey and Kristine continued to giggle.

"I miss something?" Lyssa asked walking back in with the toddlers following.

Kristine quickly volunteered. "Mindy smarted off that we don't have any potty-training stories about her."

"Yeah, so they started making 'em up!" Mindy complained.

"Oh." Lyssa replied then grinned at Mindy. "Write them down so we all have them straight."

Annette held up the notepad with a smile. "I took the liberty already. We just need thirty more."

Lyssa thought then said. "Well; not a potty story, but who all was there when she was One and puked all over my costume five minutes BEFORE the curtain went up?"

All raised a hand with a peal of laughter, Kasey and Kristine said in unison. "Showtime, Lyssa; BLAAAAH!"

Mindy pouted. "I'm never saying anything again."

When the laughter died down Mindy asked. "Aunt Lyssa, just what is this ballet about?"

Lyssa had sat down and the twins were climbing on and off her. "The concept story is pretty simple. A king is overthrown and killed which deposes the princess. She takes what guards are left and goes into exile. There she prepares to reclaim the kingdom and when ready, begins her march. Big battle and so on, she wins and reclaims the throne."

"That's all?" Mind asked.

"Don't pull Mommy's hair Ali." Lyssa corrected her daughter, then continued to Mindy. "That's the basic concept. I get the joy of filling in details. That's why everybody is in here. We've been coming up with ideas and then how to express it in a dance sequence."

Mindy thought then asked. "Where will it be performed?"

"It'll open in Vienna after Christmas." Lyssa answered then added. "If it can be finished. Otherwise, it'll have to wait until the following Fall."

"What about the race?" Mindy reminded.

Lyssa stopped Alex from pulling down the top of her dress. "Stop that. The only thing left is the team gear and give-aways. My new leathers will be here tomorrow. The bikes are repainted and have the sponsors on them.However, instead of four paddock girls, we have only three."

"The downside to being pregnant, can't parade around in skimpy stuff and heels." Annette said and rubbed her baby-bump.

Maria nodded. "Angelica doesn't believe she would feel comfortable in the wardrobe. Though she has the body for it, she is still self-conscious. She'll be in something less attention-drawing and posing as my assistant."

Kristine held her arms up in victory. "We can! Sis and I do the umbrella thing and pose at the gate."

"We're gonna totally rock the Paddock!" Kasey announced.

Mindy asked. "So just exactly do Paddock girls do?"

Lyssa explained. "They're the pretty faces for the team or a sponsor. They walk around and look good to get attention, in the team area they work the crowd; talking about the team or the sponsor they represent and give out the freebies. That's what Samantha, Kasey and Kristine will be doing before and after I launch. You have to stay in the team area, but in the front. The front is where Sam will be. The table of give-aways, literature and the monitors so the crowd can see my progress."

"Since your mom and Krystel are working the technical aspects, I'll be working PR. Because of the look Lyssa chose, we should get a fair amount of women and girls checking us out. Even more so when it gets revealed that Lyssa is the rider." Samantha grinned.

Maria chuckled. "Lyssa's identity will be revealed at the start of her second lap. This should be great fun."

"So who else will be in the team area?" Mindy asked.

Lyssa listed for her. "Maria and Angelica, representing her company. The Major will be there for his front. A rep for the dancewear line, one for the make-up line I signed to, the hair product line. Oh, the Valentino rep will be there."

Tiffany looked over. "Why Valentino?"

Lyssa sighed. "I forgot to mention I signed with Valentino. They're doing a new campaign for one of the perfumes."

This interested Maria. "Very nice. Which one?"

"Vendetta." Lyssa replied then added. "They're throwing in some wardrobe too. And shoes. I had to raise hell about that. The highest heels they sell are almost four inch. One-hundred millimeter. I told them no lower than a hundred and fifteen or I'll get shoes from Dalco in Rome."

"Dalco!" Maria laughed. "Oh Lyssa, that is so mean. They make excellent shoes and have for the rich and famous for over half a century."

"Really?" Kristine asked.

Anna nodded. "Of course. The Donna and I have talked with Sophia Loren and most of the De Laurentis women while waiting to be served at Dalco."

"It hit them hard. So, I'll be getting ten pairs of pumps, at my preferred height. They can choose the colors and style, but the heel is non-negotiable." Lyssa smirked.

All of them laughed. There simply was no way around a woman getting the shoes she liked. Lyssa liked Dalco, Maria went with Ferragamo, Krystel collected Prada, Annette and Samantha both liked Manolo Blahnik, Kimberly had developed a preference for Gianvito Rossi and Christian Louboutin. Tiffany was currently in a Casadei trend. Anna and Angelica had no real preference, simply going with whatever caught their eye. Shawna seemed to be sticking with Steve Madden but had several pairs of higher-end for when she needed them. Kasey and Kristine were erratic with their tastes.

"Does the perfume smell really good?" Mindy asked.

Lyssa nodded. "It's nice. I already had some in my collection, I just didn't wear it as much as Dior. Oh, everybody gets a bottle too. And a make-up kit and a selection of the hair products. You don't have to switch to them full-time, but it is asked for when we're there for the race."

"Even me?" Mindy asked.

Lyssa nodded. "Yes. You can wear full make-up on race-day. Kim already okay-ed it."

This news excited Mindy. It had only been a few times she was fully done up. That's when it dawned on her; she would be in full make-up and so on because she would be in view of the crowd and therefore advertising just like the others. A walking, talking, billboard for the sponsors. After thinking it over, it didn't seem so bad. Another thought popped into her head.

"So, all us wearing and using this stuff is advertising; do we get paid for it?" Mindy asked.

Tiffany laughed. "Oh, she's QUICK."

The other laughed in agreement.

Even Lyssa smiled. "Actually, yes. The team pays you, not the sponsors. Hardly any sponsors actually put in money, just products. The team doesn't need money, it's not real. But we do need sponsors so we look real. I made deals for products and so on, which makes them sponsors. I get the names and they get semi-free advertising."

"What about Tammy?" Mindy asked.

Lyssa nodded. "She gets her logos displayed and can hang out in the front area too. Free advertising for two of her companies."

Warlock perked up and woofed, getting everyone's attention.

Lyssa smiled at the twins. "Go get Daddy!"

Hearing their father was home, the twins squealed and rushed off as fast as their small legs could carry them.

"THERE'S THEM RUGRATS!" Rodrick's voice called out amid the twins' noise.

Moments later the ex-SEAL eased into the studio with a giggling child firmly clinging to each leg. "I've been captured again."

The women laughed in response. Lyssa walked over and kissed him.

Maria smiled and clapped her hands. "Come along. We all have dinners to prepare and homework, too."

"Come on, Kiddo." Tiffany said to Mindy.

That night, Mindy lay in bed, drifting off to sleep. The people that visited the island called it various things. To some it was a top secret garrison, a black hole of the covert operations world. In general, people called it a paradise. To Melinda Valerie Lando, it was the place where she always felt safe and loved. Ram's Rock Island was just simply home.

Author note:
For those curious about the music for the ballet, I made a youtube playlist specifically for it. Hope you like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaNvVUW88X0&list=PLOGEXCc-_o...

up
340 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!

It was good to see a new story here!!!! This was sweet too! Hope to see the race soon too!

Different and awesome

WillowD's picture

This chapter is thoroughly different from all of your other stories in this series. To the point that it seems like it is written by a different but still awesome author. I especially like the way that it concentrated almost entirely on home life on the island and just had little tidbits of background from various previous and upcoming stories.

I really love this chapter. Thanks.

It will be interesting to see

It will be interesting to see what Mindy eventually picks for a career

Complients to the Chef!

Beautiful story, perfectly baked and sooo tasty! Thanks

Read it twice ...

shiraz's picture

Read it twice so far, gets better every read.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Good Goddess

WillowD's picture

Why would I want to stop at twice?

G limits

It may be hard to believe, but motorcycles only have about a 1G limit. They don't generate any down force like a formula 1 or Indy car that can pull around 4G's.

Before you argue, I am one of the few who have experience sliding the front tire of a motorcycle. Some racers and many motorcycle riders will not do it intentionally and argue that it is impossible without crashing. There is an old picture of Freddie Spencer leaving stripes with his front tire entering a turn and I can show evidence of tire slip in tread wear patterns. Even more interesting is a motorcycle behaves much like a car when turning near limits. Between hard braking, turning, geometry and weight position, a motorcycle is capable of pushing or under steer. The preference is usually having a slight over steer or being a little loose. It makes people nervous when making turning motions and there is no turning.

Seems such a long time since the last Ram Rock POV

So I looked up, and it was less than a year -- just!
And this was so different! So much fun to see a different viewpoint -- an extremely intelligent junior resident's.
Taking it all-in-all, I believe it to be one of your best, but without all (or most) of its preceding Ram Rock stories, it could never be fully appreciated.
I recommend newcomers to go over your back catalogue, and of course that should also include WolfJess's marshals stories, to help understanding some of the other Ram Rock residents
Welcome back in your stand-alone writing persona!
Best wishes
Dave

Pool sharks

What's the problem if your "swimming partner" greets you with a big friendly smile? >:->
And spanking poor Mindy? That's child abuse. O.O Remember: only villains beat up their children. If the parents had to resort to spanking that probably means they didn't use any punishment (or a punishment which Mindy considered laughable) for her earlier pranks. Or maybe some of Mindy's uncles / aunts set bad examples for her and she just copied them? But they also should reward Mindy for "creative and out of the box" thinking and only punish her for choosing the wrong target. After all this is similar to what Lyssa did with the Komodo dragons in Columbia.

Otherwise a really nice chapter, thx^^

Can wait!

smdani4mm's picture

it seems so long since the first mention of the race.

And it will be good for the royals to get back to the area. And for Tammy to get back too.

Dani

SmDani4