The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 48 - Butterflies, Asphalt and Insanity

Printer-friendly version

 

BAIcoverart2.png
Book 48 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  Isle Of Man; Home of the most dangerous
  Race. This time though,
  It'll be Lyssa's greatest
  show on Earth.

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be hyper-violent for some readers!

 

 


 

Butterflies, Asphalt and Insanity

 
 
 

Lyssa's Racing Track List
Suffolk, England; Mildenhall Air Base.

The conex boxes had been unloaded then trucked off the base and now sat beside a long trailer outfitted for a racing team, painted in white with pink team logos. Tuesday afternoon after two trips to Eglin Air Force base; Lyssa's racing Load-Out was loaded into a waiting C-5M Super Galaxy, followed by the Black Badges' EarthRoamer ALOC and F-350 One-Ton truck. LoneStar, Pete, Eddie, Carl, Bobby and Hunter would ride with the equipment to Mildenhall. Rodrick flew the rest in the Gulfstream direct to London. They followed the tourist trail to one famous landmark.

Mindy stared in wonder at the sight before her. "WOW! That's REALLY the Palace!"

Her mother, aunts and cousins agreed happily behind her.

"Girls. Look over there; we have incoming. Two o' clock." Krystel commented.

Kasey, Kristine and Mindy looked to see a group of red coated and tall hat wearing guards approaching. The Guard was changing. All three went silent and watched the ceremony. They even took pictures of each other with the ceremony in the background. After the Guards withdrew to their duties Lyssa nudged the girls.

"Let's go. We can catch the Life Guards' change next. They change hourly." Lyssa informed them.

Kasey looked confused. "Life guards?"

Maria nodded. "Those are mounted Guards. They change hourly so the horses don't get unruly."

Kristine and Kasey smiled and said in unison. "HORSES? Let's go!"

The group went around and found the Guard post. The girls took pictures of them then under careful instruction were able to take their selfies close enough but without disturbing the Guard or horse. When the Guard changed they recorded it as well. They then went on to see some more tourist attractions before splitting up for the night. Maria had access to a pair of Jaguar F-pace SUVs.She drove one and Anna drove the other. Lyssa and Rodrick rode in her Mercedes SUV with the twins. Kimberly was driving Tiffany's BMW SUV and Krystel was driving Tiffany's Lotus Evora.

That night the group descended en masse on the Vietnamese restaurant, led by Krystel. The staff greeted her as a long lost relative and were surprised that so many spoke Viet. When Rodrick admitted to being a SEAL, the old woman simply shook her head and gave him a pre-emptive scolding about destroying the building. Rodrick promised good behaviour, but told as many raunchy jokes as he could get away with. He was rewarded with several swats for them.

In the morning the group set out, driving to Liverpool. The other group had left Mildenhall at dawn. Carl and Eddie riding with Hunter and Bobby in the trucks while LoneStar and Pete flew in a rented helicopter set up for video relay. A German firm had rented an Agusta Westland AW109 to the team. During the race, LoneStar would fly and Pete would be the camera operator using the Isle of Man airport. They would arrive first. The truck pulling the race trailer had left as soon as it had finished loading. Large trucks were taken aboard the ferries at certain times due to their size and weight. The two groups met up outside the ferry terminal and entered together. Luckily they were able to board the same ferry.

Though questioned several times about where the group would be staying for the race, Lyssa and Maria gave no answers. When the vehicles drove off the ferry, Lyssa led the way out of the terminal a short distance then turned in at a sign for the Douglas Marina. Lyssa pulled into a space to park as did the others. Directly in front of them were two superyachts docked.

Samantha slid her sunglasses down then turned. "Okay, I give. How did the two of you pull this off?"

"Relax, dear. We didn't buy these. We're borrowing them. The one on the right belongs to an old friend of mine. Usually she rents it, but since I was asking, she lent it to me instead. As for the other, ask Lyssa." Maria chuckled.

Lyssa shrugged. "I did a shoot for a designer as a favor. I cashed in that favor."

Mindy looked from the yacht to Lyssa. "I'm starting to think that if you called in all your favors the world would stop, Aunt Lyssa."

"Not really." Lyssa said but amended with a smirk. "Just the important parts of it."

After a quick laugh luggage was unloaded and they boarded their perspective vessels. The girls excitedly ran around, exploring the state rooms, guest cabins and other amenities. Both yachts had onboard gyms, pools, spas, theaters, dining rooms, tenders, dive lockers, seadoos, a ski boat and other water toys. The yacht Lyssa and the military group were using had an area for Warlock to use for his 'business' that could be hosed off for convenience. After dinner, the twins were put to bed. Lyssa and Kimberly went into the office while everyone else relaxed to enjoy the evening.

"The truck will be on the midnight ferry." Kimberly said looking at her laptop.

Lyssa nodded. "Good. The morning ferry is a zoo. Or it used to be."

"They save all the rigs and big RVs for the night runs. When he rolls up to the staging area he'll get a guide to take him over to our location." Kimberly continued.

Lyssa looked up to a screen. "The spot they gave us isn't bad. Our front end location is better. A lot of people will pass it to get to the real teams."

"Only Kasey and Kristine can go into the pits?" Kimberly asked.

Lyssa nodded. "Yeah. Mindy won't be allowed in during activity. Before and after only. The twins will stay in their playpen in the trailer. Anna will watch them. Warlock will be kept in there too."

Kimberly nodded. "Annette may want to stay in the trailer too. Noise, fumes and the heat may get to her."

"My dressing area is big enough. It's pretty much a lounge." Lyssa replied.

Kimberly tapped her pen on the desk. "I have confirmation that all the reps will be here by next Friday morning and they all have rooms."

"What about the packs?" Lyssa asked.

Kimberly checked. "Some were delivered today. The remaining arrive tomorrow. Everybody and everything will be ready for race day."

"What about Shawna?" Lyssa asked.

"They landed thirty minutes after we took off. She has control of the island. The kids and Blake are enjoying having a whole island to themselves. Nothing to worry about." Kimberly smiled.

"Good. What about my local PR?" Lyssa asked.

Kimberly looked at her screen. "There are several dance studios around. You, Maria, Samantha, Annette and the girls can visit them. As far as I know, none of your merch has made it here yet, so you should visit at least two or three schools to introduce it."

"Print up a list. I'll get with Maria after breakfast." Lyssa said. "Sunday I have to focus on race prep. From Monday on, I have no time for much of anything but that."

The rest of their meeting was spent confirming local logistics for the race.

Friday afternoon found Lyssa, Maria, Annette, Samantha, Angelic, Kasey, Kristine and Mindy at Academy of Dance in Douglas. The Dance Mistress was overjoyed when the group entered. The class gawked in awe. Of course, a show was put on for them. Mindy performed the Fairy Doll variation. Kasey and Kristine performed from Don Quixote. Kasey performing Esmeralda and Kristine the Kitri variation. Samantha danced a Cinderella variation. She liked it because it was very fast. Maria stepped out and danced a Coppelia variation, stunning the young ballerinas into silent awe. Lyssa danced an Aurora variation to everyone's surprise.

Lyssa then explained about the dancewear line she now used and promised a fitter would come to visit. Every girl would receive two pairs of new pointe shoes. A pair for studio and a pair for performance. The studio version were stiffer to last several hours and the performance version was softer to minimize noise and maximize flexibilty. Lyssa and Maria, like all professionals, were known to kill a pair of shoes with just two or three wearings. It was highly practiced to bring a pair of shoes to almost destruction in the studio then save them for the stage performance to end them. For girls still in classes and not a troupe member, cost was always an issue. Good pointe shoes cost an average of eighty dollars per pair. Girls learned and used every trick they could to get the most out of their shoes.

"Excuse me." A twelve year old asked Lyssa. "I never though I'd ever meet a Prima here, but you and Madam Maria are both here. How does that happen?"

Lyssa smiled as the whole class gave her looks of excited curiosity. "Can you keep a secret?"

"YES!" The girls answered with enthusiasm.

"I'm here for the race." Lyssa answered.

The dance mistress looked confused. "It is an international race, but I don't see how you could be interested in it."

"Because I'm in it. I'm the rider and team owner. Maria is a sponsor." Lyssa grinned. "I'm riding the Unlimited Experimental class."

"You're joking, right? You have to be mental to race the TT." One girl blurted out.

Mindy giggled. "Not joking. Might be right about that mental part, though."

"Come watch me. I'll put on a show you've never seen before." Lyssa said then walked over to the pair of boxes they had brought in and opened one.

When Lyssa held up a slim-strapped white top with pink logo the girls gasped.

"Butterfly Racing Innovations is the team. I could do with a bit of local support." Lyssa announced.

Kasey and Kristine opened the other box and held out some trinkets. "What do you say?"

The group of girls squealed in delight at the offer of cute free things and rushed forward to get them. Lyssa, Maria and Samantha handed out the shirts and visors while Kasey, Kristine and Mindy handed out necklaces with a clear plastic butterfly pendant with lights inside. Along with the necklaces there were also keyrings, small packs of lipgloss and sunglasses. The normally stoic Angelic found herself smiling at the girls excitement.

Maria smiled then called the girls' attention. "Girls? Remember now, Lyssa racing is a secret. We don't want people to know until it's announced during her second lap. Alright?"

"Yes, Madam Maria!" The girls chorused.

Samantha nodded. "Very good. Come visit our Team Front area on race day and there'll be more stuff we give out. Remind us you're from this studio and get something extra special!"

After the boxes were empty Maria clapped her hands and called the class to the barre. Every girl happily put all their effort into their work that day. The dance mistress almost cried to see the girls so happy. After the class many selfies were taken and Angelic took a group picture to commemorate the visit. Annette was able to pose in a way that hid her pregnancy and was happy about that.

Sunday night the entire group had dinner outside on the aft deck aboard the yacht Lyssa was using. The yacht was made by Lurssen in Germany and was a sister hull to Ace, an 87 meter superyacht. During dessert Lyssa suddenly bolted from her chair, Warlock leaped to her side and began growling.

"Oh you assholes." Lyssa stated flatly and relaxed.

Men sprang from each side into view and began laughing.

Though not laughing, Noc didn't hide his smirk. "Any of that cake left?"

"That wine is what I'm interested in." Kilo commented.

Maria shook her head. "Lyssa, your former compatriots have a very pronounced lack of manners when it comes to dinner."

"Le nostre più sincere scuse, mia signora, mi sto solo divertendo." Adonis apologized to Maria and kissed her hand with a devilish grin. "Buonasera; Donna Maria."

"I wonder who told you about that?" Annette asked.

Adonis grinned. "Somebody in Milan loves gossip."

"Aunt, who are these men? I see three who were on the island once, but the others are strangers." Angelic stated.

Blitz gave Lyssa playful push. "You could say we're her brothers."

"Yeah. She's our BELOVED sister." Getaway hugged Lyssa.

Lyssa shook her head and pushed him back. "OFF. Everytime you shits are around, I feel like I'm babysitting and not getting paid. Hold up. One short. Where is he?"

"Whisper's in the parking lot. He had a call." Madelaine answered.

Whisper walked up the stairs into view. "I'm here now."

Bobby was over shaking hands in the 'bro' style with Kicker. "Nice to see you."

"Angelic, these guys are our competition for the race." Lyssa explained. "Fury Racing."

Angelic still seemed confused; first they were siblings and now they were competition, yet their presence wasn't unwanted.

"Mind if we have some?" One of the men asked, holding up a bottle of whiskey.

Lyssa shrugged. "I guess so, but that lock better be in working order."

"Drift, was that cabinet locked?" Whisper asked.

Drift shrugged. "I don't remember."

"Be nice to Immortal's boat." Kilo reminded.

Lyssa shook her head. "Be very nice, it isn't my boat. I borrowed it."

Blitz laughed. "We wondered how you got it. Don't these go for fifty million or so?"

"A hundred and fifty million." Lyssa answered.

A chorus of "holy shit" went out.

Adonis looked over to Maria and pointed to the Benetti yacht. "Did you 'borrow' Valentina's yacht too?"

Maria smiled. "Oh, you know dear Val?"

"We've, uh, met." He nodded.

Maria laughed. "Naughty boy. I'm surprised she let you go!"

Clean laughed. "When he heard she had a priest comin' he hauled ass!"

Annette began laughing. "I'm surprised she didn't chain you to her bed."

"Damn near." Adonis shivered.

The head stewardess came out and noticed the group of men. "Oh my. Should I bring out more cake Prima Lyssa?"

Every one of the DemonWraiths called out. "SURE!"

"If it's not a bother, Victoria." Lyssa sighed.

Victoria smiled and replied in her Australian accent. "Not at all, Ma'am. I'll see right to it."

Two hands came out to add chairs but were waved off by the men. They were content to enjoy the cake and Merlot standing around or in other seating. Somehow though Maria had sneakily put Drift beside Angelic. Soon she admitted to being a thief but he merely claimed to be an entry specialist. Bobby and Hunter talked with Kicker and Clean. Kimberly was talking with Madelaine while Krystel talked with Quest.

"So who's the new face." Lyssa asked nodding to the young man standing beside Kilo.

Noc answered. "If he makes it through Kill-zone; he'll be called Breezy."

"He's a jumper and crazier than your ass is." Blitz remarked then shook his head. "That goofy fuck can fly a damn wingsuit up to sixty miles and land without a chute. On the ground. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

"Oh he fits right in." Lyssa smirked. "I'd call him Windy though."

Blitz, Noc, Whisper and Rodrick turned to look at the man in question and smiled malevolently.

He noticed the group and looked concerned. "What? I didn't do anything."

"Nothin'." Blitz continued to smile. "Windy."

"Looks like you're name's been picked out." Kilo remarked then added. "Windy."

Windy thought about then looked over at the group angrily. "With an I or an E?"

"An I, you'd have to shave to pull off an E." Lyssa grinned.

Windy though about it then asked. "Shave what?"

Everyone answered together. "EVERYTHING!"

"No way!" Windy protested then looked over to Madelaine. "Did they do this shit to you too?"

Madelaine shook his head. "They're going easy on you. I had it worse."

Cake eaten and wine drank, Whisper called their attention. "Alright guys. They entertained us, we didn't break anything. All's good. Race prep starts tomorrow. Ladies, gentlemen; thanks for having us. Usual stakes, loser buys the booze. May the best team win."

"That'll be us." Blitz nudged Lyssa.

Lyssa swatted him. "No, US!"

Adonis patted Kasey and Kristine on the shoulders and smiled to Angelic. "Could I interest you three in being paddock girls for the winning team?"

Kasey gave a sweet smile back. "We already are!"

"I shudder to think what you would have us wearing." Angelic commented.

Adonis gave a sincere look. "I promise; the important parts would be covered. Kinda. Sorta. Maybe?"

"I don't think the good sister would go for it." Samantha giggled at Angelic's blushing.

Drift turned. "Wait. You're a NUN?"

"Si." Angelic answered and held up her rosary around her wrist.

Drift immediately went face down on the table. "Somebody is so wrong, right now. I been hitting on a Nun this whole time."

Maria chuckled. "Fear not. My niece has enjoyed conversing with someone of the profession. You treated her no different from any other woman."

"You have committed no sin, my new friend." Angelic said.

"YET." The other DemonWraiths laughed.

Adonis pulled Drift by the arm. "Come on. Let's go before you develope a complex, blaspheme or something of the like."

Angelic asked quickly. "You are not Catholic as you did not notice I am. May I ask what religion you all practice?"

"Drift is one of three that practice a religion, Sister." Whisper answered then looked over. "She won't hate you for it."

"I come from Scadanavian people. Loki is my god; the trickster and thief." Drift explained, he left out any remark about further heritage. "Good night."

Whisper stayed until the last of them disembarked. "He didn't intend any disrespect Sister."

"Does his whole family worship the same?" Angelic asked.

Whisper sighed then turned to leave. "They did."

Angelic looked Lyssa. "Do they not anymore?"

"They died." Lyssa clarified. "No member can have living family. No parents. No siblings. No spouse. No children. They must be alone."

"Men that would not be missed." Angelic remarked then realized the meaning. "You mean to say; those men? All of them? They are suicide soldiers?"

The unwavering silent look from Lyssa answered better than any words could.

Angelic crossed herself. "God; forgive and grant them mercy."

Maria nudged her. "Come along. Tomorrow begins many busy days for us."

True to her words, the next morning began preparations for the race. LoneStar and Pete coordinated with the control tower for the flights. Rodrick and the rest of the men worked as Lyssa's pit crew. Kimberly directed Samantha, Angelic, Kasey and Kristine in setting up the remote cameras around the course. Krystel set up their computer systems. Maria and Anna were conducting virtual meetings with contacts all over the world. Annette and Mindy watched over the twins. In the afternoons, the course was shut down to traffic for the riders to practice. On the first morning Lyssa took a bicycle and rode the course. Kasey, Kristine and Mindy giggled, calling it a 'mommy-bike'. It was a typical cruiser type, but after they inspected it they found the tires were actually solid rubber, not air filled. Lyssa explained that it would reveal the texture of the road surface. Every bump and imperfection of the road would be felt for her to remember.

Friday morning, vans arrived and a crew of women began unloading.

"Who are they?" Maria asked.

Kimberly smiled. "Tiara Technology Support Services, London. The red-head in charge is the owner, Laura. Hi Laura!"

"Kim! Great, you're here!" Laura greeted them. "Hello, I'm Laura."

"Maria DeMarco, a pleasure." Maria greeted then gestured to Angelic. "My assistant, Angelic."

"Buongiorno, Laura." Angelic greeted.

"Laura is providing our audio-visual presentation." Kimberly explained.

Laura nodded. "Oh I brought the best! I have a great set up planned. Plenty of monitors. I have one main large screen surrounded by eight smaller screens then nineteen screens for all your representatives."

As they were speaking four more vans arrived. Three cargo vans and a passenger van. Maria took note all of the workers were women and smiled. These businesses were members of Elegant Executive. Immediately vans were unloaded and the Front area for the team was being set up. Two small canopy areas with a table and chairs for meetings, a large canopy with tables at the front and sides. Speakers were hung at the corners. A bank of monitors were set up slightly back from center of the area. Small monitors were set up on the tables. Paper signs were hung on the backside of the table to indicate where the representatives would be stationed. By noon the white and pink area was drawing attention. Even more so when the banner was raised; Butterfly Racing Innovations.

"I'm impressed already." A familiar voice said behind Maria.

Maria was smiling before she even turned. "Paulo."

They hugged and shared a kiss. Annette and the girls came over for greetings as well. Madison was there and was swarmed with hugs.

"This is coming together fast." Dannigan remarked.

Maria chuckled. "Naturally. We made use of members of our service. Of course they are being paid for their services, but it is good advertisement as well. All of the sponsor representatives should be here by this afternoon."

A whistle went out and people moved aside for Hunter to drive the one-ton truck up to the area.

"We brought the first load of stuff." Carl announced getting out.

Immediately several hands joined in unloading the truck of boxes. Two more loads were brought in.

Mindy looked at the stacks of boxes for each sponsor. "Think we have enough?"

"I don't know honey. I hope we don't run out, because we won't be able to get more in time." Kimberly answered while checking her list.

Angelic shook her head. "When I went for a walk, I saw a big trailer for Monster. It was filled with many boxes and they were talking about a second. Monster, the drink, si?"

"Si. The energy drink. They sponsor all kinds of things so yeah, they need to have a lot of stuff to give out. Shirts, hats, drink holders and all that stuff." Kasey remarked.

Samantha immediately scolded Kasey and Kristine. "Neither of you need any Monster, you're hyper enough as is."

The two giggled. "Yes Ma'am."

A woman walked up. "Am I late?"

Kimberly looked up. "No Veronika. You're good. If you're ready, take over here. Everybody, you all remember Veronika? She's the head of Elegant Executive's Eventing curriculum."

Kimberly went back to the Pits and Veronika took over the Front area operations. Madison introduced herself as the rep from Global Resolutions, Dannigan's front. Samantha would handle all the Team materials and supervise the girls. Angelic would work directly with Maria's business; Ballerina International. Maria had an open agenda. She would be having meetings with some people, but none of it related to racing. It was mostly checking in with some of her European interests. Dannigan had no announced agenda, but it was assumed he would be working in some fashion. Spymasters didn't visit foreign countries to simply enjoy the sights.

A glance down the way found the DemonWraiths area, Fury Racing, being set up.

"I wonder who the girls are working their area?" Kasey asked.

Dannigan shook his head. "No idea, Kasey."

"They may have hired them from an agency. One of the men is a model." Maria reminded.

Suddenly they saw Whisper turn, look their way then start walking toward them.

"Nice to see you again, Sir." Whisper greeted Dannigan then addressed everyone else. "Ladies. This looks very nice!"

Dannigan nodded. "Your crew looks motivated down there, Hamilton."

Whisper grinned at his cover name. "Special Services, they're treating it like a working vacation."

"How long did it take to talk them into it?" Samantha asked.

"About twenty seconds after a certain somebody walked up and smiled." Whisper answered and nodded past them.

Adonis stepped up and grinned. "They didn't even balk at their outfits for tomorrow."

"Michaelson, I hope they won't be sporting bikinis that would get them arrested." Dannigan cautioned.

Adonis laughed. "No sir. We're keeping the uniforms rated for general public."

Three older teens ran up and immediately asked Adonis for selfies, to which he obliged.

"Guess I better find a less visible place to be or I'll end up doing my version of the pied piper!" Adonis laughed and made his way off.

Maria shook her head. "That man revels in the attention."

Whisper looked to Dannigan. "Could I have a few minutes, sir?"

"I saw a coffee stand." Dannigan nodded then kissed Maria's cheek. "Excuse me."

Maria rolled her eyes. "Yes, yes. Go with your cloak and dagger lunacy. But you and I will be having lunch soon."

"I won't be long, Ma'am." Whisper assured as they left.

Dannigan returned a few minutes later, still drinking a coffee.

"Is it good?" Kasey quipped.

Dannigan shrugged. "It's a bit weak for me, but a lot better than the sludge Rodrick and his bunch make."

All the women laughed at the truth of his statement.

"Madam Maria; why don't you two go ahead and take lunch. We have enough hands and later on the girls can have their time." Veronika suggested.

Maria nodded. "Thank you."

"I'm surprised Lyssa wasn't there." Dannigan remarked as they walked.

Maria shook her head. "She and Eddie are fine tuning her equipment. Though she claims this is just for fun, she does seem determined to make a proper showing."

"I'm wondering if this is going to be a one-time thing. Now, where are we going?" Dannigan asked.

"A quaint bistro called Refuge. I think you'll like it." Maria smiled.

Minutes later they arrived and were lucky to go directly to a table. After consulting the menu, the waitress took their orders. During the meal they exchanged small talk and love-banter. Dannigan was about to signal for the check when a familiar face sat down at the next table and shook his head.

"I never imagined to find you here." Karl Ferdinand remarked.

Dannigan regarded him and replied. "I think that should be my line, Karl. Aren't you out of uniform as well, Arch-Bishop?"

"Shh. Not so loud. I also was promoted." Ferdinand replied in a low voice.

Maria's eyebrows shot up. "Cardinal?"

Slowly he nodded. "Yes. His Holiness has decided it best that my orders not filter through bureaucracy."

"I'm in debate as to congratulate or offer condolences." Dannigan dead-panned.

Karl sighed. "I'll take both."

"He meant for his Holiness." Maria snarked, but crossed herself.

When the Cardinal face-palmed, Dannigan smirked. "Walked right into that one, Karl."

The Cardinal looked up. "Forgive them, Lord, for they have the blessing of competent subordinates and lack of administrators."

Dannigan and Maria laughed gently.

After Karl placed his order with the waitress, Dannigan asked. "So what are you doing here?"

"Looking into the affairs of a Carolingian." Ferdinand answered quietly. "He disappeared."

Dannigan looked to Maria. "I'm not familiar with that order."

Maria shook her head. "If memory serves me; that order delved into the occult and also perform exorcisms. I didn't think there were any left."

"Much of that is dealt with by another order, mostly debunking such things. There are a few left. Mostly they investigate and secure, shall we say, items and materials that are dangerous." Karl explained.

Maria understood and translated. "Such as writings of supernatural, like spellbooks and objects to perform unholy ritual."

"You're serious?" Dannigan asked.

Karl nodded. "Unfortunately, yes. I've never tried any of it, nor have I seen any phenomenon, but a believer can commit atrocities in their efforts. By locating and securing such things, we prevent those atrocities. I prefer dealing with things I am familiar with, which are bad enough, I now have this as a duty. I cannot ignore it. Those who pursue the arcane arts are just as dangerous as those who pursue wealth and influence."

"Well then your guy must have been pretty high up for you to come personally." Dannigan surmised. "Or was it what he was chasing down?"

"Both. As for my, excuse, one of the racers is very devout and had written in about receiving a blessing before the race. I can do that, so here I am." Karl summed up. "I never thought either of you would be interested in this sort of thing."

Dannigan shrugged. "Makes me look legit as a business. She is legit, so it works out for her."

The waitress brought the check and Dannigan paid, leaving a generous tip.

"Nice seeing you Karl. Good luck, hope you find your man." Dannigan said and reached over to shake hands.

"Thank you, Paul." Karl returned the handshake then nodded to Maria. "Maria. Andare con Dio."

Subtly he marked the cross, to which she crossed herself. "Gratzie Eminenza."

Outside, Maria looked to Dannigan. "I do not envy your friend."

"Neither do I. Bad enough dealing with what we do, but the voodoo, bogeyman and hocus pocus bit is a tiger of another stripe. Glad we don't have to get into it." Dannigan sighed.

Dannigan and Maria returned to the Team front area and found Lyssa there talking to some people. Maria had a quiet word with Angelic. It seemed all the merchandise was there. Lyssa and three reps were going through boxes.

"Veronika. Take them to lunch." Lyssa called out.

Veronika nodded then rounded up the crews and led them away. Lyssa finished with the reps and went over to Dannigan.

"I can't believe you got here so soon." Lyssa commented.

Dannigan nodded. "Yeah. Lucked out on that. This looks great."

Lyssa looked back. "It won't be really finished until later today. Tomorrow this place should be packed. We visited some dance schools and put the quiet word out."

"These club members you called in do good work fast." Dannigan nodded to the area.

Lyssa nodded. "Yeah. I hope they had the time for it, I hate to think they just dropped everything or passed up jobs to come out."

"I thought you're paying them?" Dannigan asked.

"Oh we are. It's just that they shouldn't put off real jobs. I'm paying them above rates and this might get them some good exposure, but that doesn't take the place of actual jobs that gets them word of mouth referrals by real people." Lyssa reminded.

Dannigan nodded. "Fair point. When do all the reps show up?"

"There's a meeting this afternoon. So far nobody has called to be late so when they check in at the hotel, they'll get their instructions to come here. Veronika has them from there on out. We have you and Maria listed for open agendas. You're here but doing your own thing. Madison handles your traffic, Angelic handles Ballerina Internationals. Diane from EE's PR department is working that rep position. Rachel from EE is working the RamAir position. All other sponsors have their own reps." Lyssa explained.

Maria nodded. "That's the big meeting this afternoon, yes?"

"Right. Tonight is a dinner aboard my yacht. You and the major can skip it if you want some time." Lyssa offered.

Maria smiled. "That's very thoughtful, but I think we'll attend. Is it casual?"

"Yeah. After the traveling, meeting and so on, I doubt anybody really wants to go all out. Tomorrow night, after the races, I think we should go for more upscale." Lyssa smiled. "Celebrate OUR VICTORY and all that."

Dannigan and Maria noticed she had looked to side saying the last part with a grin. They turned to see Blitz walking by, flipping Lyssa off. All three laughed in response.

Just before Three that afternoon a large group, mostly of women, entered the Front area.

Veronika greeted them and directed them inside to a seating area. Maria and Dannigan sat off to the side watching people enter. Two younger women in matching white skirt suits saw Dannigan and nodded to him, which he nodded back.

"Are those the Scottish girls Kimberly mentioned, real estate and executive pilots?" Maria asked quietly.

"Mhmm." Dannigan replied just as quietly.

Maria visually inspected them then remarked. "Quite charming. That's a wonderful look they have."

"The one on the left is the realtor and pilot. On the right is her fiance." Dannigan explained.

When all the seats were filled, Veronika stepped to the front and began naming people and their service, who stood up and greeted the others.

"Tamara?" Veronika looked to Tammy.

Tammy and Maisie stood up. "Tammy, please. Tammy Smart. Smart Properties and KT Flight; Thurso, Scotland. A pleasure to be here and meet you all. This is Maisie, my fiance. She serves as an air hostess on KT Flight and has her own Personal Training service; MS Fitness."

"Nice to meet you all." Maisie greeted.

After the last rep was introduced Veronika then directed everyone's attention to Maria and Dannigan. "Here we have Maria DeMarco of Ballerina International. Maria is also an executive board member for EE. Her representative is Angelic DeMarco."

Angelic stood up smiled pleasantly and nodded. "Bongiorno. Good afternoon, it is a pleasure to meet you all."

"Next to Madam Maria is Mister Paul Dannigan, Global Resolutions." Veronika introduced.

Dannigan stood up. "Thank you Veronika. Hello everyone."

Tammy had to hide her smile behind her hand at hearing his introduction.

Veronika continued. "Madison Dietricht is Mister Dannigan's rep."

"Hi, please just call me Madison." Madison was all smiles.

For the next half hour Veronika gave them a presentation that seemed a lot like a military briefing. After that, Veronika directed the group to the actual front area to line each rep at their station. Underneath the table were boxes. Business cards, brochures, and give-aways.

"A supplemental set of these are being sent to your offices, along with order forms and instructions for replacements. They should arrive Monday." Veronika informed them.

Tammy began going through her items and was very surprised. She had three sets of cards. One for Smart Properties, one for KT Flight and one with both. Maisie was surprised to find the same; KT Fight, MS Fitness and one for both. For their give-aways there were pocket-planners, calendars, travel cups, pens, sunglasses and keyfobs. For their own use; a personalized four section business card case.

Maisie looked over. "They really went all out!"

"Lyssa wasn't kidding when she said to just show up, they'd take care of everything." Tammy nodded.

Veronika interrupted them. "Wait! Don't set up yet."

Everyone stopped what they were doing. Some were already starting to lay out things on the tables.

"I have a station plan for each of you, but if you start now, everything may be all over the place by morning. Please set up in the morning." Veronika asked.

Those that had begun to set things out quickly put them away. After a few minutes everyone began to explore each others packs, swapping ensued thereafter.

Tammy wandered over to Dannigan and muttered under her breath. "Global Resolutions, Uncle?"

"I did say I was in the resolution business." Dannigan quipped.

Maria rolled her eyes. "You have absolutely no shame, Palo. Hello, Tammy was it?"

"Yes Ma'am, Tammy Smart. You're Maria DeMarco?" Tammy asked shaking hands with Maria.

Maria smiled. "Yes. You look wonderful in that suit, dear. Do you wear that for your flight service?"

"Oh yes and thank you. So does our other female pilot. The male pilot wears navy slacks. The feedback is very positive." Tammy smiled.

Maria leaned closer. "The cut of the jacket hides the Glock at your back nice enough, but the one on your thigh shifted while you were sitting. Don't worry. Only myself, Angelic and Palo noticed. Shake left hands with her to hide adjusting it back."

Tammy turned and shook hands with the younger woman beside Maria and shifted the thigh holster to ride centered on the back of her thigh.

Maria looked thoughtful for a moment. "Smart? That name sounds familiar. Are you also in Banking?"

"No Ma'am, but my father was. Richard Smart." Tammy answered then asked. "Do you know him?"

"I don't recall doing any business with him, but the name does sound familiar. I may have met him in passing. I conduct quite a bit of international business." Maria said then reassured her. "Don't trouble yourself over it, dear."

"Has that academic situation been taken care of?" Dannigan asked.

Tammy nodded then smirked. "It's been... resolved, Sir."

Maria chuckled. "Very nice. She got you, Palo."

"Very funny." Dannigan remarked. "Sean better not show up. He'll drag us out for drinks and in twenty minutes, I need subtitles for him."

Tammy shook her head. "He didn't mention being here. Some of The Lads might be, but I doubt I'll know them or they know me. Others may be about, but as to whom, I have no idea."

Maisie called for Tammy.

"Please excuse me. Ma'am, so nice meeting you. You as well, Angelic, was it?" Tammy asked shaking hands again.

Angelic nodded. "Si. Ciao, Tammy."

Maria smiled. "She's a nice girl. Do keep her from becoming as insane as the rest, please."

"That's up to her. Though she might turn psychotic if the Brits don't treat her right from now on." Dannigan commented. "She's a good kid, despite the bad breaks she had before. Don't worry, Maria, Kimberly and Krystel have her covered."

At Six the group broke to return to the Guest House and prepare for the dinner aboard the yacht. The party wound down at Nine-thirty that night.

Saturday morning began with noise and movement. Engines were being revved, crews were shouting, safety crews were scrambling all over, reporters going here and there for 'the best angle'. Paddock girls preened and primped as did many female fans, hoping to catch the eye of important people. Butterfly Racing made their way to the Pits and Front Area.

Eddie stood with his back to the opening of the tent. "Okay Lyssa, what's the plan?"

"Bike Two. Swap the swingarm for the Ten inch extended Swingarm." Lyssa said.

Eddie chuckled. "Gonna get nasty off the line?"

"No. But I'll already be set when I do get nasty." Lyssa grinned.

"Well, the roads are completely dry now since that rain on Wednesday." Bobby remarked.

Lyssa nodded. "True but the tires still need to be warmed, Bobby. I want the thicker tires when I pit after Lap Two and Four. They need to be hot."

Hunter asked. "So the plan is to pit after Laps Two and Four, right?"

Lyssa nodded to him as well. "Yes. I'll probably be coming in on fumes so be ready with the tank cover. Using it adds seconds, but any fuel that spills can get on the engine and if that happens; me and the bike go up."

"You still want to switch helmets during the pit?" Carl asked.

"Yes. Make sure there are five clears on each visor." Lyssa reminded.

Riders would apply a clear film that could be peeled off the visor. It made the removal of debris and especially any bugs that impacted on the visor to be quick and easy. Bugs weren't such a big issue, but Isle of Man was still an island and birds were fearless. They would land on the road and even fly into the path of riders. To hit a seagull at speeds over a hundred miles per hour was like being hit with a baseball bat. Riders had even been dismounted from a bird strike.

Butterfly and Fury went about things without hurry. The races started with Sidecar followed by Superstock, Superbike, Junior, Lightweight and finally Senior. Listed as Experimental, but not in the Total Zero class, Butterfly and Fury would be in with the Senior TT competitors. Total Zero were bikes not using fossil fuel/petroleum. These separate teams were slowly being called Outlaw or Highwayman Class. Mostly only one or two teams participated. This year was a record of four teams in the Senior sub-class.

As soon as the Front Area 'opened' women and mobs of girls rushed over. Maria smiled to see the girls of the dance studios they had visited swarm the area. They were easy to recognize due to wearing the shirts, hats and other things given out beforehand. They were given bags with more freebies for coming. The bank of monitors had sponsor videos. The main monitor played promotional videos or photos featuring Lyssa. The other monitors played videos without her. The monitor in front of each rep played a loop of their video. When the Senior race began, the monitor bank would switch to race footage from course cameras, helmet and bike mounted cameras and the helicopter camera. The forward speakers played the audio from the advertisements while the back speakers were playing a loop of trance music.

It didn't take long for Madison to find herself in a team shirt, pink miniskirt, sandals and manning the team position beside Mindy.

"What am I doing?" Madison asked.

Mindy giggled. "Kasey, Kristine and Aunt Sam have to go work the crowd so you're here with me. You weren't really doing anything anyway, so why not?"

Dannigan walked over. "Madison, what happened?"

"I believe your secretary has been shanghaied." Maria chuckled then turned to greet a group of men. "Bongiorno, Fredo, Marco."

"Bongiorno Donna DeMarco." The two leading men said and kissed her hand in turn then followed her inside to the meeting area with their entourage.

Over on the other side, Maisie looked to Tammy. "I can't believe they made commercials. They even have us in them. How did they do that?"

"I have no idea, dear, but I am impressed." Tammy replied.

Maisie wore her white skirt suit for KT Flight while Tammy wore a peach skirt suit for representing Smart Properties. Tammy was surprised when she heard Mindy greeting people in Japanese and saw her talking to a small group of Asian men and one anglo woman. The woman quickly revealed a British accent when she spoke. The group began perusing the stations, guided by Mindy in Japanese. The woman stayed at the fashion and beauty stations while the men moved down to the other services.

"Smart Properties." Mindy stated and gestured to Tammy. "Smart, Tammy-san."

Tammy bowed slightly. "Good morning."

"Good morning Smart-sama." One of the men greeted. "Hagakure, Toshino."

Mindy whispered. "Add sama to his name since he's a customer you're just meeting. Hagakure-sama. Later on when you get friendly he may ask you to call him Toshino-san.'

"Thank you, Mindy." Tammy replied.

The man handed her a business card; JL Import/Export. Tammy inspected it then placed it in the empty slot of her case.

"A pleasure Hagakure-sama. Please call me Tammy." Tammy said then offered him one of her cards that had all her businesses on it.

Toshiro inspected her card and nodded approval. "Thank you, Tammy-sama. I do some export business to Japan. Does your flight service include the Northern Islands? I hear the wool goods from there are very good."

"In fact we do go to the islands that have airfields and I may even be able to provide you with a list of contacts." Tammy answered with a smile.

A quick exchange between the men happened then Toshino turned back. "Then it is my good luck to meet you. A place to store and prepare the goods for shipment may also be good."

Tammy nodded. "I do have some commercial properties available as well as residential."

Tammy began compiling her Agency materials while Maisie compiled for KT Flight.

"Arigato." Tammy said and bowed after handing over the bag with her materials. "If I am out of the office, my assistant's name is Joey."

Toshino bowed back accepting the bag. "Dōmo arigatōgozaimasu Tammy-sama."

The other men of the group also bowed.

After they moved on Mindy stepped back to Tammy.

"When Japanese businesses get together it's called a keiretsu. It means 'system'. I don't understand all of it, but they all use the same bank and own shares in each other's companies." Mindy explained.

"Like a conglomerate." Tammy summarized.

Mindy wagged her hand. "Kind of."

"I see." Tammy remarked.

Mindy was looking at the group and had an intent expression.

Tammy noticed her look and asked. "Is something wrong?"

"I might be wrong. Maybe not a keiretsu. Might be a zaibatsu instead." Mindy said quietly.

"Okay. What is that?" Tammy asked.

"Same thing only family owned. The main family has the central business. Subordinate or branch families form the cluster. Now they really do the whole marriage thing. An outsider marrying in has to have something to bring. Family honor is serious and they are hardcore about it. so much so that if marriage isn't an option, adoption is." Mindy informed her.

Tammy was surprised by that. "Wow. That is serious."

"Yeah. Free advice; next time you meet with them, have a gift." Mindy suggested.

"What kind of gift?" Tammy asked.

Mindy looked thoughtful. "You'll have to search online for what their interests are and find an appropriate gift. Also, they do a good bit of socializing before actually getting down to business. Everybody is relaxed, comfortable and hopefully, agreeable."

Tammy then noticed four girls being directed to her by Maisie and greeted them. "Hello, girls."

"Are you really a pilot? You fly important people around?" One of the girls asked excitedly.

Tammy smiled. "Yes I am and yes, we do. When I fly I wear a suit like Maisie’s. I also have an estate agency, I'm wearing this suit to represent that business."

Tammy and Maisie had found a box of airplane shaped pins and fastened them to the girls' tops and answered questions about becoming a pilot. Tammy also informed them of being a helicopter pilot and being part owner of a service for that, SmartAir. Maisie gave them headbands sporting her Miss Fitness name and talked about being a personal trainer. The enthusiasm of the all female group was infectious and smiles were all around.

In the trailer Lyssa spent her time relaxing and playing with the twins. Soon she left with Warlock, to do his dog-business and returned to begin getting ready. She changed into sporting lingerie and socks then pulling on her one piece leather racing suit.

Anna helped Lyssa into the leathers. "Feminine yet sporting. A good look for you."

"Alpinestars has a great women's line. We sent them my laserscan and they made mine to fit exclusive. The boots and gloves too. My helmets are a different story." Lyssa explained pulling on the boots and snapping the straps.

Annette picked the helmet up. "Forcite? I'm not familiar."

"Australian company. Leading the way to combining electronics and high safety standards. They're calling them 'Smart helmets'. Mine are modified more than the ones they're selling. The ones out have bluetooth capabilities. Mine doesn't, but I have secure comms to the team, chin mounted camera and head's up display projected on the visor. The HUD I see you'll be able to see on the monitors." Lyssa explained.

"So this is the 'innovation' part?" Anna asked.

Lyssa nodded. "Right. Our data goes back and they incorporate it into their racing line and a simpler version goes into the general line."

Annette was looking at the helmet closer. "What about the others; what are they doing?"

"Fury is more into performance. They're testing engine and transmission upgrades." Lyssa answered then addded. "I don't have specifics. Getaway and Blitz came up with whatever they're doing. Oh and Adonis had a hand in their racing leathers. Blitz likes Bell helmets so I don't know if there's anything to that. It's not on their literature."

Lyssa tucked the braided end of her hair down the back of her collar then zipped up the front. She then pulled the helmet down onto her head and buckled the chin strap. She felt along the back and plugged a cable and a hose from her suit into the helmet.

"Can you see clearly?" Anna asked.

Lyssa pulled on her gloves, secured the wrist straps then flexed her left hand a certain way. Both visors snapped down.

Lyssa nodded. "Yeah." as the visors snapped back up

"That's like a helicopter pilot's helmet, cool." Annette grinned and received a wink from Lyssa.

Anna looked her over. "I say, you look more like some type of modern gladiator than a racer with all those pieces of composite all over."

"Those are the most frequent contact points of the road so that's where the most protection is needed. I guess we are modern gladiators." Lyssa remarked.

Anna looked her over again. "You look ready. However it goes; continue with style."

"With style?" Lyssa chuckled. "Where have I heard that?"

Anna grinned. "The Eiger Sanction. One of the young climbers that had a degree of sense said it to Mister Eastwood."

Lyssa laughed. "I'll try not to fall off a mountain like they did."

"Please don't." Annette laughed. "Mother hasn't seen that one video. She'd go bezerk if she had."

"Oh, Connor's 2010 ragdoll? Yeah that was nasty. Broken left arm, two bone fractures in his back, dislocated knee with ligament damage, bruised lungs and a hairline fracture to his pelvis. It went viral." Lyssa said.

Anna looked shocked. "Did the young man survive?"

"Of course. He rode the following year." Lyssa informed her. "Connor Cummings. He's the local hero works as a barista. Rides for Padgetts and is in the race today."

"That's insane." Anna shook her head in disbelief.

Lyssa grinned inside the helmet and headed for the door. "It's Isle of Man; the most dangerous race on Earth. Time for fun!"

Annette shook her head. "Sometimes, I think she really is bat-shit crazy."

Warlock making noise caught their attention. He had rolled onto his back trying to dodge and play-bite Alison's hand as she tried to grab his snout. Anna and Annette laughed at the innocent play of toddler and dog. Alex was playing with a toy plane.

Lyssa walked from the trailer around to the work area.

"All set?" Rodrick asked loudly to be heard over the noise.

Lyssa nodded back. A race official was walking by.

"Seven minutes Butterfly!" The man announced, holding up his fingers.

The team gave him a thumb's up. Eddie shut down Bike-2. Bobby and Carl grabbed tires from a cabinet and mounted them on the bike. Hunter topped off the fuel tank then pulled the cover off. Rodrick held the bike steady as it was lowered off the stand. Kasey and Kristine walked into the tent and grabbed two white and pink umbrellas then waited. Kimberly handed them two ear-pieces and clipped the battery pack to the backs of their skirts. They could hear, but not respond. Everybody else put on headsets. Back over at the table Kimberly sat down next to Krystel then put on her own headset. Lyssa mounted her bike and Rodrick connected the cable and hose then switched on the remote unit.

"Comm-check." Kimberly asked.

"Check." They all answered, with Kasey and Kristine giving a thumb's up.

"O2 flow?" Kimberly asked.

Lyssa answered. "On."

Krystel also answered. "Forty percent. Reducing to Five percent and now off."

Kimberly announced. "Butterfly, four mikes to launch. Go or no go?"

Each member called off the position and readiness, ending with Lyssa.

Kimberly acknowledged. "Butterfly is Go. Ready to roll!"

Rodrick and Bobby pushed the bike out. Kasey and Kristine opened their umbrellas to shade Lyssa on both sides and followed with her. Slowly they approached the starting line-up. Lyssa rolled to stop in the line behind Blitz. Kicker and Clean had rolled him out. Kicker patted his back. Blitz looked back, waved then flipped her off. Lyssa returned the salute. He gave her the spanking gesture. She wagged her finger then pointed to herself then made the spanking motion and pointed at him. An official working the line waved them down to stop the 'trash talking' and get ready. The line began moving forward. When they were five bikes from the gate Lyssa started her engine.

"Base, I'm Hot." Lyssa called out.

Kimberly replied. "Copy Rider. Countdown on standby."

The music now came over Lyssa's comms. The playlist had been changed. She would be starting out listening to the Jerome Isma Ae remix of Michael Jackson's Stranger in Moscow.

Over in the Front Area, everyone turned to look when the music suddenly switched and they heard Kimberly's voice.

"Copy, Rider. Countdown on Standby."

The main bank of monitors then stopped the advertisements and now displayed live camera feeds. One by one the preceeding bikes were sent out. Blitz roared out of the gate with a plume of smoke from his tires.

"Paddock girls; clear. Rider; the lane is Hot, you are Live! Countdown; Start. Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Light 'em up! Four. Three. Two. One. LAUNCH!" Kimberly announced.

Kasey and Kristine had backed away. When Kimberly called out to light'em up, Lyssa rolled her throttle, holding the front brake, making the tires spin and smoke. At the count of Two, she literally stood on her pegs as the tires smoked and at One released the brake to screech off the line as the flag dropped and Kimberly called Launch. The Front wheel came up and Lyssa leaned forward to counter, flying through the arch onto the course. In the Front area everyone called out in excitement. The race; was on!

"Number 71, Buttterfly Racing Inovations, coming out of the gate now." Jodie Kidd announced to the cameras

Matt Roberts nodded. "A new team, first time here. What do we know Jodie?"

"The rider is only listed by initials; L-K-M. The team's main sponsor is called Elegant Executive in Freeport, Bahamas. They are riding Inceptor by Buell." Jodie read from a sheet.

"Did Jodie say Buell Interceptor, Steve?" Cameron Donald asked.

Steve Plater nodded in surprise. "Yes, she did, Cam. It's been some years since we've heard that name."

Cameron looked impressed. "I'd say so. I can't remember the team name, but I do remember they were constantly going head-to-head with Fury Racing. Those two tore though like they had personal grudges. I'm wondering now if this might be a continuance of those days."

Steve seemed to be focusing on a monitor. "Cam. Is it my imagination or does the rider for Butterfly appear to be a lady to you as well?"

"I can't tell. Jodie, perhaps you could see better?" Cameron suggested.

Jodie looked to a monitor then nodded. "I believe so. This is a surprise. I thought I had interviewed all the female riders, but it seems one slipped by me. She's putting on quite the show already!"

Lyssa had charged down Bray Hill, upshifting, then cleared Ago's Leap. Crossing over Quarter Bridge, on her back wheel, she flashed a thumb's up to be caught on camera. The predominately female crowd at BRI's front area cheered her flashy move. Kasey and Kristine had rejoined the group and added their support. Soon it became a combination of watching the race and dancing to the music, with those knowing the songs singing along. Kimberly's voice could be heard mixed in with the music as she narrated and gave instructions. Carefully though, Lyssa was always addressed as Rider to keep her identity concealed. The main monitor showed the feed from the helmet mounted camera along with Lyssa's HUD across the top and a course diagram superimposed in the lower left corner. The other monitors played feeds from bike mounted cameras, course cameras and the helicopter flown by Lonestar. Pete sat in the back manning the camera. It took all of Lonestar's concentration to keep up with Lyssa and avoid the other aircraft.

Halfway around the course came the first big upset. Three monitors showed a rider go down and the resulting fireball, forcing Lyssa to swing wide.

"BREAK RIGHT!" Kimberly ordered.

Lyssa complied shouting back. "SHIT!"

"Good thing for leather to keep the fire off you! Keep going." Kimberly commented.

During the next turn, Lyssa took it at One-twenty and came out with her front wheel clmbing as she accelerated.

Maria was glaring at the monitor. "You only have two wheels, for the love of God, keep them both on the road!"

"All the riders seem to do that, aunt." Angelic commented.

Maria scowled. "And they should ALL know better. They're adults on motorbikes, not children on skateboards. Harmless fun, she said."

Dannigan chuckled. "It is; for her."

"Oh, they're all insane enough as is! Don't encourage, Paulo. Next, Kasey and Kristine will be after us for motorbikes, too!" Maria scolded him.

At the nineteen minute mark, Lyssa was closing on the end of the first lap. The song changed and cheers went out from all around BRI. Clubfoot by Kasabian began to play. Almost every girl knew and began to sing and dance along as did a lot of the young men in the area. Suddenly all the monitors flashed a full image of Lyssa in her racing leathers and her name. Even a quick announcement by her went out at full volume.

"I'm Lyssa and WE are Butterfly Racing; Beauty and Performance!"

At the commentators stand a sheet of paper was suddenly handed to Jodie.

"What's that?" Matt asked.

Jodie's face lit up and she smiled broadly. "The rider for Butterfly Racing; It's LYSSA KORDENAY-MASON!"

Jodie stood up and pointed as Lyssa roared though on her backwheel during the height of the song. Above BRI's canopy, ejectors launched loads of white and pink confetti into the air as the girls all turned to point and cheer even louder.

"I----I TELL YOU I WANT YOU! I----I TELL YOU I NEED YOU! I-----THE BLOOD AIN'T ON MY HANDS! I----JUST WANTED YA NEAR ME!" the crowd sang out.

"Lyssa Kordenay? The model?" Matt asked in confusion.

Jodie laughed. "Model, Ballerina and apparently; Racer! This is a big surprise none of us saw coming. This race just became even more interesting."

Kimberly called out. "Okay, Lyssa. Secret's out. Everybody knows you're here. Make it good. You're hot on the mic now."

Lyssa answered. "I'm all over it! I'm Lyssa and we're Butterfly Racing. Let's show 'em how the girls' do things! Like Anna quoted: we shall continue; WITH STYLE!!"

Lyssa's voice could now be heard by the crowd and they cheered her on.

Again she charged down Bray Hill, over Ago's Leap then crossing Quarter and Braddan Bridges.

Krystel announced. "O2 on. Twenty-five percent flow for forty seconds."

"Roger that." Kimberly answered.

Lyssa felt the airflow come on then breathed deep coming off the bridges. Tight turns forced riders to breathe shallow from strain so the change to breathe deeply came on straights. Adding oxygen would have a positive effect on a rider. Unfortunately the small bottle of oxygen would only last so long, only nine minutes at full flow. The flow-rate and duration had to be controlled to have the best results. After Union Mills came Ballahutchin Straight. The oxygen shut off as she gained the straight and shifted to the Sixth gear then dropped back down to Fourth to take the curve of Ballagarey followed by Crosby Curve.

Kasey, Kristine and Mindy were having the time of their lives, singing and dancing with the crowd. Samantha had a hard time resisting the urge as well and finally joined them. A new song started and was different from the usual trance anthems Lyssa preferred.

"Rock concert movement number sixty-three; bringing out Venus Hum."

"Blue Man group? What the hell?" Kimberly noted. "Sorry Lyssa, somebody messed with your playlist."

All eyes turned to Mindy who looked just as surprised as everybody and immediately responded. "I didn't do it; I promise!"

Lyssa answered on a straight. "No, Base, I put it on there."

Everyone around the front area heard and began to laugh as the song actually started; I feel love by Blue Man group featuring Venus Hum.

Despite many wanting nothing to do with disco music, the updated song was well received. Many were were bouncing around and singing along with the obvious chorus. Lyssa couldn't resist the urge to laugh and did but only for a moment as she entered curves and had to focus on her breathing.

Maisie had time to watch the monitors and shook her head. "Absolutely insane. She's world famous and does this? Is it something in their water on that island?"

"It's the coffee I believe." Tammy replied with a grin.

Maisie gave a look of disgust. "Oh god, not that!"

Off to the side, Mindy had heard and just giggled like the mischievous imp she was. She didn't want to stop watching her aunt, but had to when visitors came over to her station. Mostly the girls her age and younger. Kasey and Kristine were still dancing and singing along to the music but serving their visitors as well. The Japanese group came back, standing out of the way but still able to watch the screens. The leader noticed he had caught Mindy's eye and bowed to her. Mindy was bowing in return and noticed his hands. He was holding them in a gesture she had seen before by a woman that visited Lyssa. The woman that left with a strange case. Later that day, Mindy noticed the sword in the glass case was gone. Also a young man and woman that lived in Freeport also bowed and gestured the same way when seeing Kimberly or Krystel picked her up from school. Their son was in her class and played soccer on the boys' team. They too were Japanese. That's when it hit her. They had the same family name; Hagakure. Mindy quickly nodded then mirrored the gesture and bowed. Now she understood. These were not a simple business group. True, they were a zaibatsu. They were also Shinobi.

"Looks like I need to talk to Aunt Lyssa about my good friend Kieji. I just thought he had a crush on the little gaijin soccer-girl." Mindy mumbled to herself.

Kasey looked over. "You say something?"

"People really get into a motorcyle girl." Mindy lied.

Kristine nodded. "I know, right?"

Meanwhile, on the course, Lyssa was making her way up the Mountain Mile and hit her nitrous. Blitz was in sight on the straights ahead of her. It seemed he too, triggered a nitrous shot.

"What's my nitrous showing?" Lyssa asked.

Krystel responded. "Down to thirty percent. O2 is down to fifteen percent."

"I get it now. Fury has a three quarter mile lead on you." Kimberly added.

"I need to get closer before we both Pit." Lyssa remarked through clenched teeth from a turn.

Kimberly checked the map. "Just ahead. Coming out of Bungalow to Hailwood's rise."

Lyssa enter in Fifth gear, dropped to fourth then upshifted coming out and as she hit Sixth gear triggered her nitrous again. That brought her into Brandywell as he had exited. Going around Windy Corner she had closed more. At Kate's Cottage Lyssa could read his back logo.

"Ten percent on your Nitrous." Krystel announced.

Kimberly called out. "Save it! Use it at Creg Ny Baa, standby."

Lyssa waited through a countdown then triggered the Nitrous again on the mark and launched ahead. That brought her to within twenty meters of Blitz. At Glencrutchery Road she used the last of it. Barely five seconds of spray but it put her along his back tire.

"I need O2, Nitrous, Fuel, Helmet and tires!" Lyssa announced.

Kimberly turned to see the guys all give a thumbs' up. "Ready for you. Pit."

In the trailer, Annette and Anna were watching and listening.

"He had a ten second lead on Lyssa, how has been able to stay so far ahead all this time?" Annette asked aloud.

Anna replied. "I suspect he has been using Nitrous Oxide as well. He does have a larger engine, but his weight is higher as well. Lyssa is lighter and therefore can use a smaller engine to achieve the same speeds. However, what we do not know is what personal modifications they have made."

"So they may be canceling each other out?" Annette mused.

Anna shook her head and smiled. "I wouldn't say that. I believe Lyssa still has some tricks up her sleeve. She has yet to voice displeasure of her position. I'm sure she is going to do at least one thing that will surprise everyone."

Lyssa slowed down into the Pits behind Blitz. When the bikes were stopped the crews swarmed them. Tires were changed. Helmets were exchanged after a drink of water. Eddie yanked out the Nitrous cannister and rammed in a fresh one, locking it in. Rodrick swapped out the oxygen bottle. Bobby changed the back wheel. From the front area, everyone watched the Pit action, clapping and cheering them on. Finally Eddie threw the jack down, dropping lyssa back down to the pavement as Hunter pulled the spill apron off the tank and slapped the gas cap down. Everyone gave the thumb's up and Rodrick slapped Lyssa's back.

"LAUNCH!" Kimberly yelled over the mic.

Lyssa cranked her throttle over and spun her tire into a burn out as she flew from the pits, seconds behind Blitz. Both screamed back onto the course trailing smoke. The pre-warmed tire was hot and sticky, giving optimum traction to the pavement. There were no obvious back-glances. Blitz was receiving information the same as Lyssa. The team were watching his camera feeds and informing him of position. Again they both flew down Bray Hill and over Ago's Leap.

"She's on 'im hard!" Hunter growled over his headset.

Eddie grinned. "Oh she's gonna get nasty on this lap, Hunter."

Bobby looked over. "Nasty? What's she gonna do?"

"The reason for that extended swing-arm is gonna be known in this lap. You're all gonna love this!" Eddie smiled.

Minutes later another rider went down, but Lyssa and Blitz were ahead of it and unaffected.

In the Front area everyone called out at the spectacular wipeout.

Angelic crossed herself. "God grant that brave man mercy."

"In Dei nomine precamur; custodire animam suam." A voice said behind her.

Angelic turned to see Karl Ferdinand in his robes marking the cross. "Eminenza."

"Perhaps together we may be heard." The Cardinal tried to comfort.

Angelic nodded and clasped her hands. Together they quietly offered a prayer. The monitor showed a safety crew responding and quickly loaded him into an ambulance and leave.

Karl Ferdinand marked the cross again and said in english. "We thank you, Oh Lord, for the gift of those caring people of the safety teams and ask that their services are needed as little as possible on this day. Amen."

Everyone within earshot echoed the Cardinal. "Amen."

Angelic turned and crossed herself then kissed Karl's ring. "Gratzie Eminenza."

"No need for thanks. I was passing by and saw the colorful banner. I am pleased to see you well and in lively company. For a moment I thought I had entered a party instead of a racing event." Karl smiled to everyone. "Though it seems to be 'the best seats in the house', as it were."

He took a few moments to personally greet everyone at the stations. Of course only Kasey and Kristine noticed his look of wondering if they were on their best behaviour. Both grinned impishly in return, which gained a chuckle from him. Ferdinand even accepted a pair of the sunglasses and tried them on.

"These are quite nice." He remarked then continued down the table and stopped in front of Maisie. "Executive Flight services? Might I have some of your literature?"

Tammy and Maisie quickly gave him an envelope with brochures and business cards. He thanked them and moved on, but decided to stay in the area to better watch the race.

On the course, Lyssa was hot on Blitz's tail, dogging his moves. They were past the halfway mark and coming up on Gooseneck.

"Standby to Engage. Seventy seconds!" Kimberly called out as a new song began. The club mix of Higher Ground by Matt Davey with Lo-Fi Sugar.

All eyes turned to the monitors at her announcement. As she called out in ten second increments, they watched in anticipation until finally Lyssa approached the turn and the song hit it's mark. Mindy was singing along loudly in excitement. Kasey and Kristine picked up quickly that she knew something everyone else didn't, but sang along.

"ENGAGE! GO LYSSA GO! TEACH 'IM HOW TO DANCE!" Kimberly called out.

Lyssa entered the turn just behind Blitz, but instead of slowing to lean over; she leaned forward, dropped her gear and rolled the throttle over. The engine shrieked as the tire spun and smoked. Lyssa began to slide sideways, going around Blitz.

Mindy was leading the sing-along. "I walked miles and there's no end. I'm all for you, I know you've said. I feel it, I feel it again. I think about it all the time; All the miracles! Because! BECAUSE! THIS, IS BEAUTIFUL!"

Everyone now knew Mindy had known what was to happen. Kasey and Kristine knew the song and sang along with the call and respond lyrics.

"So. High. From the face. That higher ground, where I hold. Now! This is where we both should be! SO! HIGH! FROM THE FACE, THAT HIGHER GROUND; WHERE I HOLD! NOW! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!" The girls sang as others cheered at Lyssa's move.

Up in the commentators' stand Matt exclaimed. "HOLY; are you seeing this? SHE'S DRIFTING, JODIE! BUTTERFLY RACING; DRIFTING THE TURN TO OVERTAKE FURY! We've never seen this before!"

Jodie was amazed. "I see it! Lyssa Kordenay-Mason is pulling off quite the trick against Fury Racing and making her move!"

"Now we understand the purpose of that extended swing-arm. That's obviously to make drifting more manageable." Cameron pointed out to the two.

Coming out of the turn in a plume of smoke Lyssa settled back and upshifted, her front wheel climbing with the back regaining traction. To add insult, she flipped off Blitz behind her. She stayed ahead as a new song played. On the Mountain Mile she triggered her nitrous again, maintaining her lead. At Governor's Bridge, once again, she showed the purpose of the extended swing-arm and drifted the double curve section to roar out onto Glencrutchery Road and down Bray hill amid cheers and another round of confetti launched above the canopy. Everyone at the Front end called out as she passed at speed. Ira & Paulina- Better In Time was blaring with most singing along at the chorus "Gonna get better in Time, gonna be better in time. Cause you'll never be mine!"

Over the comms it now began to sound like an air control and pilot during a dogfight. Kimberly watching from feeds coming from the course, bike and helicopter overhead to guide Lyssa around the other traffic and stay ahead of Blitz who was now trying to close the gap she'd made in the turns. Strategic shifting and carefully planned shots of nitrous oxide kept the new battle fierce. On the Cronk Y Voddy Straight Lyssa held her shot for twenty-five seconds while in Sixth gear. The introduction of Oxygen to her also kept herself focused and sharp during the turns that strained all riders. Most of the way saw her up to Fifth gear until Bishop's Court that allowed her back into Sixth but without a shot. Sulby Straight came and she was back in Sixth gear and triggered a shot. Blitz was twenty meters behind as they took Sulby Bridge. Oxygen flowed again as Lyssa drifted Ramsey Hairpin and again Gooseneck. Another twenty-five second Nitrous shot took her over Mountain Mile. Blitz was on her back tire towards the end of it George's Folly.

"You're coming up on Bungalow, standby on shot." Kimberly informed then counted down to the exit. "Hit it!"

Lyssa held the button down as Kimberly counted the fifteen second shot. This was the hard part. Using the Nitrous enough to maintain her lead, without running out while he still had enough left to overtake her. After this pit, everything they both had would be in play. The fifth, and final, lap would be for All or Nothing.

Just as Lyssa came onto Glen crutchery Road she called out. "Everything when I Pit! Hot tires, the cold fuel this time, Full Nitro and Oxygen, clean helmet. Eddie, pull my pin."

Eddie nodded to Kimberly and she relayed. "Ready for you. Pit."

Lyssa swooped into the Pits and screeched to stop as Blitz flew by to stop at Fury in a screeching of tires as well. The teams swarmed the bikes. Eddie lifted the bike with the jack as Rodrick spun the lugs of the back tire. Bobby ran with the hot tire to swap them out. Rodrick had the lugs off the front tire as Bobby tugged the chain onto the back sprocket then began switching the front tire. Eddie replaced the nitrous bottle then oxygen. Hunter had pulled a fuel canister that had been sitting for three hours in a tub of ice water and filled her tank.
Unnoticed at large, Eddie crouched down on Lyssa's left side and pulled a large locking pin from her gear case housing and pocketed it. Carl unbuckled her helmet and held the clean helmet for her to pull on after taking off her bug splattered one and taking a quick gulp of water.

"Update all systems." Kimberly ordered began counting down from ten.

All screens flickered once as Krystel announced. "Update complete, we are go for launch."

At Kimberly's count of two the jack was kicked down, pulled away and Lyssa rolled her throttle.

"LAUNCH!" Kimberly ordered.

Lyssa popped her clutch and the tire began to smoke as she roared back out. Flying past Blitz as they kicked his jack out to drop him down. He too smoked his tire coming out in chase. Four seconds were nothing and everything all at the same time. Once again, down Bray Hill and over Ago's leap. The Fifth and Final lap was on and everyone was riding with everything on the line.

"What did she mean Pull her pin?" Kristine asked Mindy.

Mindy shrugged as she danced around. "I dunno. I never heard anything about a pin. We'll find out eventually. We found out about why the thingie for the back tire is so long, it's for drifting. OOOH! Good song!"

Nitrous Oxide & Sarah Lynn - Clear As The Sky began to play and they could hear Lyssa's breathing relax some.

"I hear, my father call. Don't let, silence fall. In your heart; I will rest with you. I hear, my father call. I. Won't. Let you fall. It's as clear as the sky. Clear as the sky; TO ME!" Lyssa sang over the comms.

Kasey, Kristine, Mindy and even Samantha sang along the chorus. "It's as clear as the sky! CLEAR AS THE SKY; TO ME!"

Another rider went down, but he stood up after sliding a distance and held up both arms to signal he was uninjured. His motorcycle was another story. It would never race again, though he would.

Off team comms, LoneStar and Pete were swearing up in the helicopter. Another chase helicopter had an inattentive pilot that cut across their vector, forcing LoneStar to yank back hard on both sticks then work his pedals. In the end he climbed over in a roll and dove the other side. On the open air channel he swore at the pilot and promised to cram his license up his ass and glue the hole shut once they were all on the ground. Air traffic had noted the incident and called for the pilot to return and land immediately for being a hazard. Other pilots were remarking at the skill of LoneStar's bold move to save themselves. The other pilot merely told them off and refused orders, scoffing no real action would be enforced against him and insulted the other pilots. He quickly found himself boxed in by three Pumas in gunship configuration. They crowded him and forced him down while police officers went to his landing site and arrested him.

Back in the Front area a girl from the ballet school commented. "That's weird."

"What's weird?" Tammy asked.

"What's that round thing up at the top with the numbers?" She asked.

Tammy replied. "That's the speedometer. It tells us how fast she's going."

"Okay. And what's the numbers in the squares under that?" She asked.

Mindy answered. "That tells us what gear she's in."

"How come there's and extra one now?" The girl asked then pointed. "There used to be six. Now there's another."

All heads turned to look and counted. Just as the little girl said, there were seven now, not six.

Samantha blurted out. "What? Wait-a-minute, you can't change out during a race and even if you could, there isn't enough time."

Kasey and Kristine supplied the answer to the confusion with two words. "THE PIN!"

Maria began laughing. "Oh Lyssa! That is truly sneaky! Brava!"

The remix of My Enemy by Super8 & Tab began to play and Lyssa laughed over the comms. She was closing on Sulby Straight as the song crescendoed. Blitz had slipped along side just going onto the straight and gave her the finger. Lyssa returned it, then triggered her Nitrous shot on Kimberly's twenty-count and roared ahead.

Over in the Pits, Fury glared at Butterfly and the guys all whooped and high-fived each other.

Rodrick yelled over at them. "That's MY girl!"

Over the comms Lyssa laughed. "Welcome to the greatest show on earth! Let 'em hear us Butterfly!"

All the people in BRI's Front area cheered as loud as they could. Blitz and Lyssa jockeyed back and forth for the lead, both occasionally using quick derogatory hand signals at each other. After drifting the Gooseneck Lyssa settled in to give everything the bike had, anticipating the classic trance anthem to play.

"Mountain Mile, ten seconds. Standby to Engage." Kimberly announced as the song began.

Kasey, Kristine and Mindy all smiled, recognizing DJ Tiesto's Suburban Train, featuring the Children of Orpheus choir. The angelic voices filled the air and any who hadn't been giving much attention did now. Some counted down aloud and others nodded along.

"Two. One. ENGAGE!" Kimberly called out.

Blitz had come alongside again and was triggering his Nitrous shot. Lyssa used her left hand to mimic shooting a pistol at him then shifted into Seventh gear and cranked the throttle over.

The three girls laughed out aloud watching that happen and yelled. "KA-POW!"

Both bikes surged forward keeping pace then Lyssa played the final card and hit her own Nitrous shot on Kimberly's mark and held the twenty-count.

"One-eighty. One-ninety. Two-hundred. Two-ten. Fifteen. TWO-TWENTY. Come on, Lyssa, stay with it! TWO-TWENTY-FIVE. EIGHT! TWO! THIRTY! DISENGAGE; NOW!" Kimberly ordered.

Lyssa had close to a one hundred meter lead coming off the mile and almost had to slam all brakes to stay on the road. The battle to maintain that lead tightend by the second as they went around turns and corners. At Creg Ny Baa Lyssa held three bike lengths ahead of Blitz and repeated her tactic. She took her gears to Seventh and triggered her Nitrous shot. This time Kimberly counted to twenty-five. Screams and cheers went out when Kimberly announced Lyssa's speed of Two-hundred-thirty-four. Blitz almost swung too far going through Brandish trying to catch up. At Governor's Bridge he had narrowed to twenty meters, but Lyssa drifted the double curves again, increasing her lead and launched herself onto Glencrutchery road. This time, her advantage wouldn't be denied as Higher Ground by Matt Davey played again.

"It's all you now." Kimberly announced. "Cut loose!"

Lyssa answered back. "See you in a few seconds!"

Lyssa flew through the gears and triggered the last fifteen seconds of Nitrous. The crowd was divided as to watching he screens for her speed or turning to watch her pass. Once again, passing the Front area, the ejectors launched their final round of the pink and white confetti as Lyssa roared through and across the Finish Line. She slowed, turned around and was rolling back casually as Blitz crossed the line. In the Pit Eddie grabbed the front of the bike to steady it as Rodrick hugged her and dragged her off. On the ground Lyssa turned and went to the edge and faced the crowd. She pulled off her helmet and held it while she curtsied to the crowd as they cheered then stood up and held her helmet high in victory. When she returned to BRI's Pit Fury were giving her the 'golfclap' to which she gave them another curtsey. By that time Clear as the sky was playing again and she called out loudly.

"It's as clear as the sky. CLEAR AS THE SKY; TO ME!" Lyssa sang.

Quickly Kimberly and Krytel secured their electronics and set the Front Area back to running the promotional ads. The bike was rolled into the trailer and stored along all their equipment. Annette and Anna joined them with Lyssa and Rodrick carrying the twins as the team went over to the Front area. Practically as soon as Lyssa walked in, she was put into a chair for make-up and hair. As soon as she was finished, Kimberly was next then Krystel. Rodrick used large wipes to get as much of the road grime off her leathers before she stood in front of a camera.

All of the team members were given a few minutes to relay their efforts in the race. Even though there would be no winner's purse or even a trophy, their victory was obvious, even if it was only over Fury Racing.

"What about next year?" Someone asked.

Lyssa looked to consider that then hooked a thumb over her shoulder. "Angelic seemed enthusiastic."

All eyes turned to Angelic DeMarco, looking back in shock. "Me? No. No, absolutely not. I cannot..."

That's when she heard Maria chuckling beside her, then Annette, Samantha, Anna and all the others joined in.

"She is joking." Angelic surmised, correctly. "The insanity they think is humor is finally on me."

Maria patted her niece's back. "Yes, my dear niece. She got you."

"The look on your face was absolutely PRICELESS!" Veronika giggled.

Even Karl Ferdinand was struggling to remain stoic. "May the Lord forgive us; yes, even I, thought it was quite funny."

Angelic shook her head. "You should impose at least ten Hail Marys on yourself Eminenza."

"Five child, I did resist the urge to laugh." Ferdinand replied then crossed himself.

Angelic shook her head then said to herself in Italian. "Once again, she has proven how crazy she is."

All that understood Italian merely nodded in agreement, while grinning.

Lyssa took at seat at the front table and began signing photos of herself wearing the racing leathers, dancewear or clothing by Valentino. With the racing photo she gave a themed trinket, with the Valentino photos she gave a small tube holding a perfume sample. A bikini photo was unsuprisingly popular with the young men.

"Can I have about a hundred of those bikini pictures?" A male voice asked.

Lyssa looked up at the grinning Adonis and shook her head. "No way. You'd do weird things with them."

"I just want to cover a wall." Adonis joked back. "Too bad you didn't think of doing body pillows!"

"You're all kinds of wrong for that." Lyssa snarked, signing a Ballet photo for a girl and gave her a butterfly necklace. "Here you go, work hard for your recital."

The little girl thanked her and hurried off with her 'treasures'.

"Hey! Can we get a picture of you with Lyssa, Todd?" An older teen girl asked.

Adonis looked over. "Now how can we say no to that?"

He leaned in close and they both smiled while the girl snapped the picture with her phone. Several others caught the picture as well.

"Careful girls, nobody has a more swelled head than Todd Michealson. He'll sweet-talk you then go out with your older sister." Lyssa warned then added. "Or your mom!"

Adonis acted wounded and grinned. "So cruel! You know I'm not like that, Lyssa. Please tell her Madam Maria."

Maria shook her head. "Do not drag me into this banter, young man. I might be tempted into calling a certain yacht owner and reveal where you're hiding."

"And now I have to flee to safety!" Adonis proclaimed then quick as a snake, kissed Lyssa's cheek and slipped away just as fast.

Lyssa pointed at him and mouthed "I'll get you for that", then went back to signing autographs. Soon other riders began making their way over and shook hands with Lyssa. The crowd began to thin as the ceremonies were over.

Maria noticed Angelic suddenly stiffen her posture and looked to where she stared. Karl Ferdinand stood with two other men in robes talking.

"What is it?" Maria asked.

"Cardinal Ferdinand. The man is he is talking to is a Bishop for the Church of England." Angelic answered then said even quieter. "The third man is Father Lucas. The last time I saw him, he was with the Carolingians. He should not be wearing Iscariot robes."

Maria asked. "What trouble surrounds us now?"

"Not us. Whatever they are discussing is very bad for both Churches. Something unholy. That is the only reason for a Carolingian to be seen in public." Angelic explained. "We should want no part of this."

Maria sighed. "I couldn't agree more. Come, we have better things to do than meddle in superstition and devilry."

That evening, the yacht's aft deck was crowded with people dressed to the nines and dining well. When the last light of sunset disappeared Fury Racing walked up the gangplank, carrying boxes.

"You won, we brought the booze." Blitz announced, setting his box on the table.

Lyssa peered into the box. "Yeah? What'd you bring?"

Getaway smiled. "The CHEAPEST shit we could get our hands on!"

"Yeah, this stuff has some heavy duty paint thinner!" Kilo commented with a grin.

Patch shook his head then opened a box. "For the ones with an age issue or a condition, we have this."

He held up a bottle of sparkling grape juice and handed it to Annette. "You aren't being left out."

"Yeah. We'll be nice to the kids and knocked-up." Kicker chuckled and patted Mindy on her head, winked to Annette then glared at Kristine. "That includes you too, kiddo."

Kristine huffed. "Hey now, I'm legal here!"

Bobby warned her. "You will NOT be getting hammered and that's final. You can have two glasses and that's it. Kasey, same thing."

Both girls groused while everyone else laughed. The party recommenced with toasts to the victory. After a few minutes Krystel stood up on a chair and got everyone's attention.

"Just a bit of quick business. " Krystel announced. "Footage of you at your stations are on your social media pages. Links to editted race footage have been added too."

Krystel stepped down and Veronika took her place. "Any of your merch left-over has been sent to you. If you came over by car, you'll find it in your room. Tammy, your's has been sent to your plane. Everybody else will receive it in a few days by FedEx. Thank you, everybody, Butterfly was recognized as the best Front Area and we got a, uh, we got something for that."

"Probably a rubber chicken." Hunter joked, causing everybody to laugh.

Bobby called out. "No, they'd be serious; a pack of toilet paper!"

That cause everybody to laugh louder and Veronika shrugged. "I wouldn't be surprised, we made a real mess with the confetti. It was seriously cool though! Anyway, that's it. Back to the party!"

Kimberly cautioned Tammy not to over-indulge, as she and Maisie would be flying out the next day. At ten, many started to leave. Lyssa said goodnight a few minutes after. Tammy and Maisie followed suit and went back to hotel.

At four Dannigan's phone rang and he connect before the second chime ended. "This better be damn good."

"I will apologize for waking you, Paul, but not for why I'm waking you." The voice replied.

Dannigan sat up. "Karl? Are you in deep shit?"

"Yes. Paul I must ask for your help and in doing so, give you help. I do not have the people for my problem. My problem is also your problem." Karl Ferdinand said. "The problem of the man Burgess."

Dannigan growled. "You have my undivided attention, Karl. I want him. What do you want?"

"He has something very dangerous in his possession. Something he intends to sell. I must have it, Paul." Karl stated.

"Wait. Is this what your guy was chasing down; the one that went missing?" Dannigan asked.

The Cardinal sighed the said angrily. "Murdered. We've confirmed it. Burgess murdered him to get it."

"What is it, Karl? What is this thing so important to kill your guy and piss you off so bad you're coming to me with carte-blanche?" Dannigan asked.

"A book. An abominable book. The Grimorium Artium Vetiti." Ferninand almost spat the name.

"My latin sucks, so I have no idea what that is, but obviously you hate it. If you hate it, but still want it, then it's really bad. Okay Karl. We get the man, you can have the book. If he has materials vital to the Brits, you have to let them have it. Deal?" Dannigan hedged.

Ferdinand assured him. "The book, Paul. That's all that matters to me. You may take him and anything else he has. Just let my man have that book. We'll stay out of your way and leave peacefully. I will accept your deal."

"Done. Where is he?" Dannigan agreed.

"I can tell you where he'll be. A helicopter will be waiting for him." Karl said then gave the location and time.

Krystel was awoken by her phone. "Yeah?"

"Get up and go get Tammy. That asshole Burgess is going to fly out on a helicopter at Five-thirty." Dannigan said in a tired and aggravated voice.

"Aw shit!" Krystel groaned. "Please tell me we can kill the fuck!"

"Negative!" Dannigan growled. "Alive. Help Tammy gift wrap and on her plane. She is to deliver the son-of-a-bitch to Sean at Broadsword. Get somebody to grab their stuff from the hotel, LoneStar is going to ready her plane."

Krystel snarled. "Aye, sir."

"One more thing. I had to make a deal for this. Burgess has some kind of book. The Vatican wants that book. It's all they want. A grimmer-something." Dannigan sighed.

Krystel thought for a moment then asked. "A Grimiore?"

"Yes. No idea what it is." Dannigan admitted.

"It's a spellbook. Not the kind you can buy in a new age shop. Real deal evil kind. The kind written in blood and usually bound with human skin." Krystel explained.

Dannigan groaned. "Not even gonna ask how you know about that."

"I went to Berkley. San Francisco used to be the center of Satanism. It's still around, just not as noisy and the other whacko cults get more media attention." Krystel said flatly as she got out of bed.

"Be that as it may, secure Burgess and any materials the Brits might want, let the Catholic operative have the book and leave. Do NOT fail!" Dannigan ordered.

"Aye, Sir." Krystel replied then disconnected.

Quickly she pulled her battlesuit, gloves, weapon's rig and boots from her large suitcase. In four minutes she was walking off the yacht and calling Tammy.

"Hello, what’s the emergency?" Tammy answered sleepily.

"Wake up, gear up and have Maisie get the rest of your stuff ready to go. Burgess is about to bail and we only get one shot at the asshole. Meet me at the back door in ten minutes." Krystel said then disconnected. "Hmmm. Tammy needs a helicopter. I think you're about to achieve Dude status, Mister Burgess."

To be continued in Tamara's Tales!

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

oh, man

it is good to see LKM make another showing. and what a showing! i wondered how she would handle the public appearance. i figured she would show and then something happen to not let her race. I figured it was too good to be true.......them all together and not a problem in sight. I knew the cardinal was a downer, and would bring problems, but i did not expect it to be true freedom again. maybe tammy can finally put it to rest, until the next head pops up. hydras are hard to kill.

Yay, Lyssa and the team are

Yay, Lyssa and the team are back.
Glad to see you continuing this series.
Excellent story as always!
Happy to see you back writing.

Yay, Lyssa and the team are

Yay, Lyssa and the team are back.
Glad to see you continuing this series.
Excellent story as always!
Happy to see you back writing.

Need Mooooar

Really,
( best Homer Imitation on )

I need Mooar

( Homer Imitation off )

Really god Chapter , and i hope i can read many many more.

Tammy connections!

shiraz's picture

Alecia's wonderful story connects with Book 14 of Tammy's tales:
https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/book-page/99142/tammy-rank-st...

The first part of the Tammy arc is up (at the time of writing this comment) and can be read in conjunction with this story. The continuance of the last few lines of the above story will be in a forthcoming Tammy's Tale.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

The forthcoming

WillowD's picture

I look forward to the forthcoming. Both of these series are absolutely awesome. And I always look forward to when new stories come out.

Something to look forward to,

Something to look forward to, something written by Snowfall. Great times!

Hooray !!

I was very Pleased to see another LKM episode, I think i have read them all so many times.
I would love for this series to continue - written by you, That's just the way I see it.

Anyway congratulations on another wonderful chapter !
Love

divider_001a.jpg
Danielle_O

"Life is pain, Princess ~ anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

Me too.

WillowD's picture

I've lost tract of the number of times I've binge read the KLM stories. Although I do more spot reading these days. Like the story where the President's daughter gets kidnapped. And the story where Madison visits her family. So many awesome stories. Mind you, the problem is that I usually start suffering from click-next syndrome and keep reading one story after another.

Now, if you will excuse me, I think I will go re-read Madison's story again. I especially love the part where she shoots the tires of her sister's car.

And, yup!

WillowD's picture

I just spent the last couple of hours reading "just one more story."

Nice story

sugar_britches63's picture

It is nice to see you writing your own again. I love your stories. Lyssa was hard for me to read at first as I prefer the more light hearted stuff you write, but I can now enjoy your Lyssa stories. I do hope you write as many of each style as you feel inspired to.

Charlotte

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

Dudes.

WillowD's picture

I thought Dudes where good people who helped you out in these stories, for a modest fee of course.

Or are the bad guys in these stories also Dudes, now and then?

dudes

dudes are whoever you need them to be. "I got it from a dude over by...." "This dude told me...."
"Hey. That's the dude over there....." "This dude walked up and pulled a knife, so...." There's always a dude, but like cops, never when you need one. ;)

Dude

I presume it will go something like this

"Where did you get this helicopter?" Jim enquired.

"Well, there was this Dude..."

Gigayachts

The really expensive ones go for $500M or even more (LOA: >100 m).

>"Because I'm in it. I'm the rider and team owner. Maria is a sponsor." Lyssa grinned. "I'm riding the Unlimited Experimental class."
Lyssa might be setting a bad example there, because before you know it every ballerina around the world might get illusions of grandeur and might think that they can race bikes, too. :-p

>Maria leaned closer. "The cut of the jacket hides the Glock at your back nice enough, but the one on your thigh shifted while you were sitting.[...]"
Translation: "Don't even dream of smuggeling a mouse into this meeting, let alone a pistol." So now Tammy should know that she can't fool Maria.

>Maria smiled. "Oh, you know dear Val?"
"We've, uh, met." He nodded.
Now that's a story I'd like to read. ;-)

Stay away from engergy drinks in general. They're exorbitantly expensive, don't give you much energy (they only pump you up), only have an average taste and are rather unhealthy. Real pro athletes don't use them, even if they do ads for them. If you use energy drinks then the winner is usually the energy drink company.

>Adonis gave a sincere look. "I promise; the important parts would be covered. Kinda. Sorta. Maybe?"
Maybe? Maybe not? >:->
Hmm, drag the good sister to a nudist beach and tell her: "When in Rome[...]". >:->
I wonder what the good sister wood do if the "recovery" of an artifact would require her to go undercover as a porn actress. >:->

>Maria smiled. "She's a nice girl. Do keep her from becoming as insane as the rest, please."
"That's up to her.[...]"
Now if Tammy suddenly gets the urge to "take a walk on the wild side" then she knows where she can get it. :-)

"[...]I just thought he had a crush on the little gaijin soccer-girl." Mindy mumbled to herself.
So the Hagakure clan already tries to hitch Mindy and Kieji? Get them young, eh? :-)

>"He has something very dangerous in his possession. Something he intends to sell. I must have it, Paul." Karl stated.
So if Burgess is selling precious books while on the run that could mean he's running out of cash. Or he's extremely dumb and greedy.

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Burgess

Just everyday business as usual. Probably figures he's unknown and safe, why not. A seller has to be available to the buyer, and the escape chopper is close. Hiding in that tourist crowd and drunken fans should be easy. If he's in a chartered rental copter, they can't shoot him down especially with a capture order. That's presuming it's not another decoy.

Great!

So great to see a new chapter of Lyssa's tales! Hope to see more at some point!

NNNNIIIIICCEEEE!

Thank you! I really enjoyed that. Been missing new adventures and can't wait now that my appetite has been whetted. Totally agree with all that's been said by others.

Needed

A new DJ. That current stack of "music" should be hidden under a rock at low tide.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Music

I can't comment on the music, as I knew none of the titles. I stopped listening to radio when country evolved into pop/rock and then again when rock hit the early 70s, especially when the hearing started to fail. I did used to enjoy working two concert venues. I could actually pick if I wanted to try to listen to a free show, or ignore it.

Again a great story

Thank you for keeping alive The Lyssa Kordenay Missions. It was too long since the last one. I hope read more of Lyssa's adventures soon.