The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 45 - Invoking DemonWraiths

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Universes & Series: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Permission: 

 

IDW coverart.PNG
Book 45 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  Lyssa's past is coming to
  confront her. The Immorrtal
  must face those who are
  as feared as she is.

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be hyper-violent for some readers!

 

 


 

Invoking DemonWraiths

 
 
 

Chapter 1

It was nearly 0100 as the C-17 came in on final approach. Lyssa stood at the doors of the main hangar as it touched down and ran almost to the end of the runway then slowly turned around to taxi back. Eddie and Carl stood by with the tug and a fork truck. When the ramp finally lowered, men began to walk off.

"That's them." Dannigan said beside her.

It wasn't a question. Just confirmation of the obvious.

"Paulo. Who are these people?" Maria asked, counting 15 men.

Carl had driven the forktruck up into the plane and began off-loading conex boxes.

"Carl! Set those over between the main hangar and hangar three. Beside the Med-trailer. Twenty feet apart." Rodrick instructed.

Carl waved as he drove away. "You got it Boss!"

Slowly the group approached the hangar.

Lyssa sighed. "They're here for me, Maria. I have a price to pay."

Before Maria could ask further, she noted the men. Only one wore a digital camo uniform and seemed to be in charge of them. The rest; well, looked just like a collection of men you'd see in any public place. Some wore jeans and t-shirts, others wore chinos and polo or short sleeved dress shirts. One was actually wearing a nice looking suit, but casually. That wasn't all that varied. Long hair, short, bald, beards, goatees, mustaches, five o'clock stubble and clean shaven. They ran quite the gamut. The only thing they seemed to have in common, were the bags they carried. Two large duffle-style bags. Those and the undeniable air of confidence.

The man in uniform turned out to be a Colonel and he led them all to stop in front of Dannigan and saluted. "Sir."

"Colonel Raines." Dannigan stated then returned the salute. "As you were."

Whispers began and heads turned to Lyssa. One of the group, wearing jeans and t-shirt sporting the Barrett Arms Company logo, slowly approached. He had a bruise high on his left cheek.

"You look amazing." He smiled and said to Lyssa.

Lyssa nodded back. "You look good too. Nice to see you Whisper. Where'd you get that?"

Another walked up, stared her up and down then punched her. Lyssa didn't block or dodge it and staggered back then squared herself and retook her position.

Maria looked horrified then furious, but Lyssa held up her hand to stop her.

"I'll take that." Lyssa replied unfazed. "You done, Blitz?"

Blitz growled. "Whether I wanna be or not? Yeah; I'm fuckin' done. Coulda fuckin' told us. "

"Anybody else?" Lyssa asked.

Another guy smirked. "Sure. Why not?"

He was stopped though; by the man wearing a three-piece suit, minus tie, that glared at him. "She was not speaking to you, Zombie."

Lyssa turned to the Colonel. "Colonel. I'm not thrilled with all this. Things are going just fine for me."

"You've been in the dark and that's unacceptable. You know the deal. You're one of us. That means as long as you're operational, you get evaled. How he got you past us for this long, is a mystery and will be corrected. Now if you don't like it, you can be pulled from the Field. Like it or no, Immortal?" Colonel Raines snarled, already knowing the answer.

Lyssa squared herself. "Neither. I'll do it and hate you for it, SIR. I decide when I leave the Field, or I'll die on it. I won't be thrown away again by you and your standards."

Colonel Raines snapped his fingers, Whisper and Blitz moved back and he stared at her. "You became known! Compromised! There was absolutely NO way you could remain in the Field after that, and YOU know it! You got what you wanted regardless, Immortal. You're Operational. Fine, I can understand that. Even sympathize. Once I've gone through all your mission data, I'll either commend you or slam you for it. No matter either way, you WILL be evaluated. Hate me all you want, but you know the drill. Standards are standards and you will adhere to them. This is where you say 'Hoo-Ahh Sir'."

Lyssa continued to stare straight ahead. "Hoo-fucking-Ahh, SIR."

"Who's the Ops-Boss for this unit?" Colonel Raines asked.

Kimberly stood at Attention and answered. "Captain Kimberly Lando, SIR."

"You didn't have to give me a full name and rank, Captain. Call-signs work just fine with us. However, since you did introduce yourself; Captain, I want a briefing in fifteen minutes and access to all Operational Data for Immortal." Colonel Raines stated.

Kimberly simply stood there and replied. "Understood, Sir. Denied."

Dannigan walked over and said quietly to the Colonel. "Raines, you are forgetting that I am in charge here. You will remember that. All requests come through me. Do I make myself absolutely and undeniably fucking clear, Colonel?"

Raines forced himself not to glare as he replied tightly. "Yes Sir. I request a briefing in fifteen minutes and access to all of the Immortal's Operational Data, Sir."

"With me." Dannigan crooked a finger and led him away. Much of the conversation was too low to hear but four words were picked up; your ass, Antarctica and transferred.

They returned three minutes later and Dannigan looked over to Kimberly. "Kimberly, give the briefing and Lyssa's data only. At ZERO-NINE. Colonel get your men squared away. I hear PT is at zero-five and the one leading it gets rather cranky when people interrupt her sleep."

Dannigan turned to go, as did Kimberly. Maria continued to look at the collected men.

"Lyssa. I am a bit curious as to who these men are. If in name only." Maria said.

"Well, I guess some cursory introductions would be fine." Lyssa replied then pointed to the one in the Barrett t-shirt. "That's Whisper. He was the X.O. back in my day."

Whisper smiled then gently shook Maria's hand. "I'm the team Commanding Officer these days. Whisper, pleased to meet you. Maria DeMarco."

'I remember this name. He interrogates. How does he know my name?' Maria thought to herself then arched an eyebrow and asked. "No rank mentioned?"

"Odd to have my reputation precede me." Whisper chuckled. "We don't need them. The only rank actually recognized is the Colonel's."

"Hello Ma'am." A voice said, immediately catching her off guard.

Lyssa commented. "He's Blitz. And no, you didn't imagine he was several feet away just a second ago."

"Really?" Maria was still unsettled. The man had been at least ten feet away before she heard his voice and turned to see him right in front of her to shake hands. "A pleasure Mister Blitz."

A gentle and calm voice chuckled. "Be honored, Blitz. Maria 'The Dove' DeMarco, herself, called you 'Mister'."

Maria looked to see the man speaking and was surprised. At closer inspection; the suited man was, simply put, beautiful. In fact, he was absolute perfection. Golden tanned, glittering green eyes, sandy hair that was classically styled and a smile that beckoned kisses. He casually took Maria's hand and lightly brushed his lips to it.

"Buona sera, carissima Signora." He said in perfect Italian with a Lombardy accent.

Maria was impressed and even graced him with a blush. "And just who might you be, Bello?"

"Adonis." He replied with a smile that even reached his eyes.

Lyssa sighed. "Knock it off. Yes, Maria. He's called Adonis. You've probably seen him in multiple magazines. He's a model. And, yes he is just as big a scoundrel as they come. Still with the Ford Agency in New York or did you go to Elite in Paris?"

Adonis shook his head. "No, I'm still with Ford. They work with my 'busy schedule'."

"What he means is: between shows he has no way of getting out of, he's out killing people and tearing shit up." Lyssa remarked.

Adonis actually leaned in and kissed Lyssa's cheek. "Just like you! I feel dejected that you never said anything at the Burberry show. Or the Dior show. Or St. Laurent. Or Armani. Or Dolce."

Lyssa pushed him back. "DOWN! I'm married and that's just creepy. Like having a brother getting up on me. OFF!"

"Notice she put that 'married' part first?" Commented a man that pretty much looked plain, wearing chino's and a polo shirt.

Lyssa looked over at him crossly. "Don't start. Maria, that idiot is Getaway. If it moves, he can make it go. From a damned unicycle to an F-35. Any vehicle, he can operate it. Usually, stupidly."

Getaway looked indignant. "Hey now, some things that work in cartoons DO work in real life. Nice to meet you, Ma'am."

"A pleasure, I'm sure." Maria chuckled.

A man stepped forward, he wore chinos and a short sleeved dress shirt. "Kilo, Ma'am."

"Interesting, to have such a name." Maria observed.

Kilo shrugged. "Snipers wind up with weird names. Most pick them out personally, trying to sound cool. Not me."

Maria nodded. "Ah. I think I get it now. Kilo being sniper-speak for One-Kilometer Shot. I take it, such is routine for you?"

Kilo shrugged.

"Don't be fooled Maria, it is. He took four Cold Kilo-shots in under four minutes. All, head-shot kills." Lyssa remarked then pointed to the man to Maria's right. "That's Noc, short for Nocturnal."

Maria watched him approach. It was unnerving. He moved in absolute silence and had an intensity the others didn't exude. He had pale eyes that almost seemed to glow in the dark. She could tell instantly, this man was very dangerous. In fact, it seemed he was drifting in and out of shadows as he closed in. He reminded Maria of another man long ago, a man that had taken every ounce of her formidable skills to kill. Only this man seemed to be an actual part of the darkness around them.

Just above a whisper he greeted her. "Hello."

"Hello." Maria started to offer her hand.

Lyssa caught her attention. "He won't shake hands. Noc has a thing about interacting with people, it's not personal Maria. Nobody better to have when the lights go out, but he's not big on the social side. That's all the ones I know here."

"The rest are FNG's Immortal." Getaway replied. "Still earning."

The enthusiastic one from earlier spoke up. "Hey, I'm not that new. I earned my name. I'm Zombie."

"Please, tell me it has nothing to do with brains." Maria commented then caught herself and had to laugh. "That definitely did not come out right!"

Blitz looked impressed. "Wow. She nailed it, in two seconds flat. I like your friend, Immortal. She called it right!"

"Zombie, you made it through Kill-Zone by the skin of your teeth. You're still earning though." Kilo said then turned to Maria. "Yes Ma'am, he has nothing to do with brains. That's the problem. He thinks he's hot shit because he can take 23 rounds center-mass and not go down, much less die. We keep telling him not everybody plays fair, doesn't listen."

Maria nodded. "Good body armor can save your life."

"What body armor?" All fourteen men asked at once.

Blitz looked over. "Ma'am, that happened when he was sixteen, caught in a drive-by."

Adonis shook his head. "I still say it had much to do with his personality. He should take a workshop, or ten."

"Blain Holland is dead." Lyssa said flatly.

Blitz looked over. "Huh?"

"She killed him." Whisper said, staring off into nothing then looked at Lyssa. "You killed him on that ship. That slave ship. He was one of the slavers."

Getaway gave a thumb's up. "Fuckin' ay! Never liked the guy. Just wish we could find out who did Congressman Fuck-wad. He's the pussy that burned us."

Suddenly Whisper stood straight as a rod and his mouth hung open, staring at her. He recovered himself and slowly went over, hugged Lyssa tightly then looked to Blitz then the other four. One by one their whole demeanor towards her changed as they went over and hugged her. No one else could hear what they were saying to her.

Blitz hugged her again. "I got no problems with you. I was accepting this new you, because I have to. Not anymore. You are our first sister and we love you. Thanks Immortal. No need to, but still earning anyway. Ye, of The Faith."

As one, the seven of them recited as if in prayer. "I; did step out, of the Light. And took my place, within the Night. To Hell; my enemies, I do send. For Death; is my single, solitary, friend. I; of deepest, darkest, Faith. I am become; DemonWraith."

Whisper turned to Maria. "Sorry to hold everything up. The guy over there, in the grey shirt, that's Trembler."

"Ma'am." Trembler nodded.

Maria understood immediately. "Ah. You must work in demolitions."

"The two in the middle is Clean and Kicker, they handle CQB. Left is Clean and right is Kicker. That guy trying to blend into the scenery, in the back, is Drift. There's nowhere he can't get into, just ask Fort Knox. Among other no-go places.” As Whisper spoke, he pointed to each man individually.

After pointing out the last, Maria smirked. “If my niece weren’t a nun, they would make a good match.”

"Why'd she say Nun?" Drift looked around confused. "I'm not even Catholic."

Continuing on, Whisper pointed out another man to Maria. “The guy over there that you might think is good to adopt, or date, is Patch. He's actually a real doctor." Whisper continued.

Blitz nodded. "Yeah. No idea how he got in the Army. He's way over-qualified. Trauma and Orthopedic Surgeon, that's why he's called Patch."

Patch chuckled and came over to shake hands. "Ma'am. I was shown mercy and not called Frankenstein by this bunch."

"Doctor." Maria smiled.

Whisper pointed to the last two men. "In the white shirt is Quest, he's always looking for answers. That last one is Madeline."

"Madeline?" Maria asked.

Blitz snickered. "He's like that woman on Burn Notice. 'Put me in a cave in Afghanistan, drop me on the Moon. She'll find a way to call.' That's him to a T!"

Maria laughed. "AH! Communications MUST be your specialty."

"I wound up with THE worst name of all." Madeline almost sulked.

Colonel Raines came around the corner. "Let's get these quarters secured. Ma'am."

Maria nodded back. "Colonel. Gentlemen."

Maria turned and went back to her home as Lyssa did the same. Outside Lyssa stopped Maria once they were well away from the hanger. “Maria, whatever happens over the next few days, none of you train. Especially Kasey and Kristine.”

Maria gave her friend an odd look then nodded her head. “You are unsettled by all this. I can tell. Very well Lyssa. We will not train. How did your friend Whisper know my name?”

Lyssa shook her head. "Can't tell you."

Chapter 2

By seven, Lyssa had performed a HALO assault on the Kill-house under their watchful eyes. After that, she all but tore the six of the new guys apart, hand-to-hand. They hadn't been trained in her fighting style. Just before eight that morning; Kasey and Kristine, followed by their parents, came into the hangar and came up short to see so many people they didn't know. The men stood casually in fitted field uniforms with no identities or markings, cups of coffee in their hands, talking to Pete and Rodrick. Maria came in as well.

Rodrick waved them over. "Morning. Uh, school is going to be on break for a while."

"Rod. Who are these guys?" Samantha asked.

Whisper greeted them. "Let's see. You are; Samantha. Annette. Hunter. Bobby. And you two are Kasey and Kristine. Morning, I'm Whisper."

"Hello." Annette replied, wondering how he knew exactly who they all were and why his name sounded familiar.

Whisper was fixed on Bobby though and called over his shoulder. "Kicker. You need to come over here. An old face."

Kicker turned around and gawked then came over. "BOBBY! Hey man. I thought you were out? I heard you became a fed or somethin'. Call me Kicker now."

They grasped hands in the classic brotherly handshake and gave a quick shoulder bump.

"I did. U.S. Marshals. I heard you made it into C.A.G." Bobby said.

Kicker shook his head. "Not really. I'm one of THEM now. U.S. Marshals, huh? Who'da thunk it? You look good man. Civilian life is suitin' you just fine. So who're these folks you're with here?"

"Not so easy to explain Kicker." Bobby chuckled and turned around. "Since I'm such an unconventional guy, I have an unconventional family. I'm married to both Sam and Annette. Hunter is married to them both as well and these two are our daughters, Kasey the elder and Kristine the younger."

Trembler came over. "Wait. You said you are married to both of them, and he is too? How's THAT work?"

"Bobby's a Sioux from Wyoming, Trembler. They can do the plural marriage thing." Kicker said then introduced. "This is Trembler. He's our demolitions and disposal guy."

Adonis had come over and gave them all a once over. "Interesting culture. Hello ladies. Gentlemen."

"Hi." Kasey drawled and smiled brilliantly. "I'm Kasey."

Adonis smiled back. "Adonis. Nice to meet you."

Even Samantha and Annette were entranced by the handsome man and greeted him. "Hello."

Kristine's eyes went wide and she pulled Kasey close to whisper in her ear then nodded to him.

"Sir, weren't you featured in a shoot for the new swim line for Armani?" Kasey asked.

Adonis chuckled. "I was. Which one did you like, the blue or the print?"

Kristine blushed. "Both were very nice."

"Tell you what. I have a nice sized picture, from the Dior show. I was wearing an incredible tux. If you like, I can autograph two for the both of you to keep." Adonis offered.

In typical teenage fashion, both girls smiled and answered. "OK!"

"Buongiorno." Maria greeted them.

Adonis unleashed the million-watt smile. "Buongiorno Signora DeMarco."

"Stop that." Lyssa remarked, walking by. "She's taken too."

“Sorry, but I’m already married. Much like your friend.” Maria told him.

"Please? I get so lonely now, without you in my life Immortal." Adonis teased back. "You won't walk for Victoria's Secret or pose for Playboy. What am I to ever do?"

"You could get a hobby." Kimberly suggested. "Like, how many cold showers can you take in a day?"

The other DemonWraiths laughed and called out at him.

Adonis bowed as he laughed too. "A confirmed Kill, Captain. One to you, Ma'am."

"Follow me gentlemen." Kimberly stated then led the way to the classroom trailer.

Inside, the desks had been moved and a group of chairs arranged in front of the large plasma screen. Dannigan and Colonel Raines were already waiting. Both had coffee.

Kimberly took place beside the screen. "Take your seats and I'll begin."

For two hours Kimberly gave information and answered questions between videos on the screen of training. Unfortunately, so much of it did not consist of Lyssa on her own and therefore raised more questions.

"I'd like to see more of those three's training. Live-fire if possible. I like what I've seen so far. Immortal did a fantastic job from what I did see. I'd like to see more." Colonel Raines complimented.

"Sorry Colonel. Only one of them is here. One is currently deployed overseas and the other is on stand-by in CONUS." Dannigan replied. "Other videos can be made available though later on."

The team had been taking mental notes and raised questions to Kimberly. Lyssa had to step in more than once to clarify certain things. When the video of Bond Day in the Kill-house played, they all mimicked the music for a minute before laughing.

Colonel Raines shook his head. "Immortal, I am curious; did that actually serve a purpose or was it just to bring enthusiasm to the training?"

Kimberly answered. "I'll answer that. Colonel, believe it or not, it actually did serve a purpose. Working in the worst possible situation. High heels and evening gowns really don't lend themselves to tactical work. In reality, it's the WORST things to be wearing. But, we now know how to work within that setting and not be falling all over the place. That translated to even more control during more anticipated times of combat. It did help, alot. The original idea was to keep the training interesting. It served both."

"Colonel, perhaps we should take a page out of their book. Acquire suits, tuxedos and slick-soled dress shoes for counter-assaults. I can see now what they mean. It's a good idea." Whisper remarked.

Adonis nodded. "I agree. We've certainly had to be at Embassy functions enough. I'm surprised nothing like that has happened already to us during one."

Rodrick nodded. "Busted my ass twice. I advise you to try it and you'll see the value. I thought it was just a goof too, taught me different."

The videos resumed and finally they came to the assault on the Styx. Dannigan introduced it.

"Gentlemen, you are about to see the actual assault on Motor Vessel Styx. I'm sure you've all heard about it." Dannigan said.

Clean stood up. "Sir, you mean to tell us that you all are the ones that took those fucks down?"

"Goddamned right. You're about to see something that the Director of every Law enforcement and Intelligence agency in the world would give both testicles to see. Run it." Dannigan ordered.

From start to finish, they watched in almost total silence. A chorus of cheers went out and Kicker whistled when Zak Simmons was brought down. Catcalls went out when Lyssa brought down Blain Holland.

"Pause." Whisper requested then went over and hugged Lyssa. "Again, thank you."

Colonel Raines nodded. "If nothing else, THAT has my approval, Immortal. Even though you used civilian assets to get the op completed, the results are impressive. Resume please."

Maria and the Black Badge Deputies bristled under the man’s disregard for them. If not for Maria’s raised hand, Bobby and Hunter would have been flipping a coin for his head, while Annette and Samantha competed for his heart. Dannigan looked over to the Black Badges and shook his head 'no'. They all got the unsaid order. Stand down for now.

"That's not accurate, Sir." Whisper remarked.

Raines looked over. "Clarify."

Kicker stood up. "Bobby served with me over in Afghanistan, Colonel. He was in Group. Not a regular Deputy Marshal."

"Deputy Marshal Taugh was a Ranger before transferring to the MPs and ETS to join the Marshals." Whisper added.

Colonel Raines nodded. "I stand corrected. That explains your performance. Well done."

The gathered Operators sat back and watched until the team loaded into the Chinook and the signal cut. As they clapped and whistled or called out, Dannigan took the front.

"Questions?" Dannigan asked and was answered with everyone holding up a hand. An hour went by answering questions then they broke for a late lunch. As they were leaving, Dannigan pulled Maria off to one side. “Ria, keep an eye on the girls, I don’t want them anywhere near Raines. I trust that man as far as I can throw his ass and I can throw his ass. As for your team’s training, keep it under wraps. None of these men should know anything about your Family Traditions. They know about Bobby and Hunter, which is fine. I want to keep them in the dark about the rest.”

“Si, Paulo. Lyssa asked that we not show ourselves last night. I’ll make sure that my family know at lunch. Are you joining us?” Maria asked.

Dannigan chuckled. “I AM on the island. Of course I’m joining you. Besides, I have a feeling that if I didn’t, Anna would try to beat me about the head and shoulders.”

Chapter 3

After lunch, Maria approached Patch. "Doctor. Might I have a moment?"

"Just call me Patch, Ma'am." Patch replied as they walked away from the group. "What can I do for you?"

"I understand that you are the actual physician for this group. That is correct, yes?" Maria asked.

Patch nodded. "Yes Ma'am. I've performed many procedures on them. Are you asking for treatment of some kind?"

"I would like to solicit your medical opinion. I'd of course pay you a proper compensation for providing that." Maria said.

Patch smiled. "No charge. I'm told there is a small facility here. Shall we?"

"Your patient is already there and waiting for us, Patch." Maria replied and led the way, giving details.

At the medical trailer Maria introduced Anna. "Patch, this is Anna. Anna, this gentleman is Patch. He is the physician for the elite team visiting us I told you about. I've asked him to examine you and give his opinion."

"Doctor." Anna nodded.

Patch held up his hand. "Just Patch. I'm told the concern is your shoulder."

Maria handed him a thick file. "Her records."

"Oh that helps. That helps alot. Let's see." Patch looked through them, pulled the x-rays and read more. He shook his head. "Knife wounds are the worst. That was some blade he got you with. Damage was a given. I see here; a Doctor Stinson did the preliminary work and later on, Doctor James Whooten went back in."

"Are you familiar with either of them?" Maria asked.

"Jim, yes. He does incredible work, he's who I would call if needed. Yes, I see he used that new rotator, very smart. He invented that, you know." Patch commented.

Finally he began to actually physically examine Anna then sat back. "Alright. Anna, if I may, you are at 80 to 85 percent mobility. Honestly, that's all you'll have. There is no appliance or technique currently that will improve that. Here's my prognosis; for the next three to four years you will be as you are. After that, you will begin to lose mobility. You will degrade yearly, depending upon stress to the joint and the appliance. I really don't like saying this, but this will be due to age. As good as we are, we can't stop the clock. It's ticking Anna, and not forward. You're on a countdown clock now. Here's where I give you what kindness can be given; whatever you have planned for retirement, put it in order and get on it in the next year or two."

"I was told a much shorter span. Thank you for being truthful Doctor Patch." Anna said and put her blouse back on.

Patch pointed to the table. "Alright Mrs. Demarco, you're next. I want to see that left hip of yours, your right shoulder and both hands."

"Oh, I'm fine Patch." Maria replied.

"Maria. Take off your clothes and get on the table, old friend. I, now, insist." Anna gave her oldest friend an intent look.

Maria removed her blouse and skirt then sat on the table. "Very well. If only to humor you Anna."

She immediately regretted that decision. Patch took her through several mobility movements of her hips, knees, ankles, shoulders, wrists and hands and even provoked a yelp at one point. Then he attacked her feet, which drew out several words she had punished her daughters over.

"I feel like I was just given the once over by Torquemada himself!" Maria remarked.

Anna smirked. "You seemed to have proven devout enough, he let you go."

Patch chuckled. "Good relationship! Must have started during childhood, I'm envious. Maria, I have good news and bad."

"Proceed. Worst first." Maria groaned.

Patch nudged her shoulder. "Strain. Ease up on it some. Your hip is not that bad. It's simple muscle. You're not stretching correctly. Slow down and do it right. Your ankles could be better, but I'd say they're ok, for now. Your hands and wrists are a bigger concern. I'd suggest some strengthening exercises. Simple ones. Use a rubber ball. I don't know about your current bone density, but I would recommend a supplement for added calcium and some gloucosamine for your joints, both of you. Perhaps to appeal to your cultured sensibilities, I'd also recommend a weekly spa visit for massage. You want more in-depth, I'd have to get some lab work done on you both."

Anna shook her head. "I've had quite enough needles puncturing my body doctor, thank you very much."

"Well, then I'll just end with sound medical advice, take it easy as much as you can. Nutrition, proper exercise, rest and recreation. Oh, and please do routinely check yourselves for any irregularity of your body. Early detection is prudent. That's it." Patch finished.

Maria began to get dressed. "What exactly was the good news?"

"Ma'am, you are in fine shape and one of the most beautiful women I've ever examined. You have much to smile about. Don't forget that. Adonis tells me you are a former Prima. You're condition is impressive considering that. I've heard of horror stories about much younger. I bet they are completely consumed with jealousy." Patch smiled.

Anna chuckled. "Competent and kind. He's a wonderful physician, my Donna."

"Indeed. Doctor, I thank you for your time and attention." Maria agreed.

Patch sat back. "Donna? Isn't that a mafia term?"

Maria just smiled in reply.

"Well, well. This is a first! I guess I made the big-time now." Patch whistled low. "Mind if I let you both in on a secret?"

Anna liked this and smiled. "Please do, doctor Patch."

Patch chuckled. "I was going to examine you both anyway. In fact, I'll be examining everyone here. Your Major, he's funny as hell, already arranged it this morning with me."

"Why do you say that about him?" Maria asked curiously.

Patch just smiled. "I already knew who he really is. He recognized me and informed me who you are to him. Mrs. Polson. Your father-in-law is doing about the same. I'll give him your regards."

"I see. You are his doctor as well. Thank you for your discretion, Doctor." Maria said warmly. "Please be kind with our granddaughters and especially with Mindy."

"You may have every confidence. I will look after each one as if they were my own." Patch assured her then went to the door to escort them out.

Maria and Anna walked out and saw everyone gathered at a sandy area.

"What's going on?" Maria wondered aloud.

Patch shook his head. "Evaluation has resumed. It won't be pretty, much less nice. I'm surprised they aren't shooting at her already. Ladies, you may not want to observe. This has killed normal men in the past."

Maria squared her shoulders and went forward. She would see this for herself, perhaps gain some insight as to how they do things. Reaching the group, she stood behind Kasey and Kristine to watch.

Kilo stood several feet away and held out a stun gun. He triggered it and sent the probes straight at Lyssa as she held her arms up. They lodged and her body began to shake.

"Fifty." Kilo called out then adjusted and called out. "Full. Light 'er up."

Getaway and Adonis also fired stun guns at Lyssa. Standing in place, she growled slightly as Blitz and Noc also fired. For almost a full minute she held then screamed and spun as her arms swung down to yank the probes out. Lyssa grabbed two batons off the sand as they formed a circle. Lyssa stood in the center with the batons in her hands. Maria remembered the men coming at her were the ones she knew from the before days. However, these men were not holding back. They were attacking in earnest, lightning fast and accurate. Only Lyssa's speed and skill were able to counter them. Somehow, she was holding her own against all six. Even though she took hits that seemed to make her move away or downward, she was able to shrug them off and stay in the fight.

Anna winced. "They do this, to each other, as a test?"

"I did warn that you may not want to watch." Patch remarked.

Patch had been right, there was nothing pretty or nice about it. This was pure brutality. A fight to see how long Lyssa could remain standing. They attacked her, singularly and in groups. At close range, their moves were like a blur and they all fought in that same unnerving silence. The only sound heard, were impacts. Blitz moved at an inhuman speed. Noc was like a snake, unpredictable. Kilo's attacks were a study in accuracy for areas of high damage. Adonis was attacking with strength that had only been hinted at. Getaway targeted in blindspots. The one that seemed the strangest though, was Whisper. It was like he knew most of her movements as fast or even faster than she did. Blitz was suddenly back in range, from nowhere, to make a quick slashing strike that made Lyssa spin away.

"OW! That looked like it really hurt." Kristine commented about the nasty impact that spun Lyssa around. "Damn, that guy's really fast!"

Kasey nodded. "Yeah. Like crazy, scary, fast. They're like, beating the hell out of her. For real."

Patch shook his head. "That's Blitz. She's about the only one that can hold their own against him. She barely felt that tap."

Maria looked incredulous. "How?"

Patch chuckled. "When she was re-teaching them how to fight hand-to-hand, one of the things she did was bring in professional stunt-men. Those guys are trained to take impacts and lessen them into almost nothing. Essentially, she transferred the momentum into a release. She'll bruise and have welts, but that's it. Wait a minute. Oh shit! What's Whisper doing in there?"

Before any could ask what he meant, Colonel Raines had arrived. "WHISPER! YOU GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!"

Whisper laughed as he backed out. "BUSTED! Have at it."

"That dumb-ass." Patch just shook his head and went over to check Whisper out then wave him over to the side, out of the way.

"What was all that about?" Annette asked.

Whisper chuckled. "I'm not supposed to get in with her. Ever."

"Why?" Kasey asked.

"Too valuable. I'm an occifer. Those mean ol' non-comms like getting rough with us." Whisper remarked, deliberately slurring the word.

Zombie bolted. "I'll jump in!"

Maria had a feeling that Whisper wasn't exactly telling the truth about why he was forbidden, but before she could ask, he spun around and began to run back. "FUCK! NO!"

Lyssa's whole demeanor changed after Zombie approached and said something none of the others could hear. Immediately she was all over him, and showing no mercy. Lyssa had even dropped both the batons and simply went at him bare-handed. Mere seconds, that was all it took. Zombie was on the defensive and lost ground fast. Before he could even get his bearings corrected, Lyssa hit with a flurry of strikes that worked down his torso then his knees, which dropped him to the ground. Lyssa angled to the side then went up to come down, slamming his forehead with her hand. None of the others had gotten close to her to get in an attack. Now they backed away completely.

Angrily, Lyssa turned and walked away, heading for her house. "How'd that work out for you, you fucking wanna-be?"

Zombie seemed to be trying to move, but his position wouldn't change. All he could do was painfully grunt. That's when he realized it. He couldn't move anything. Nor could he get a good breath. A feeling of dread now crept it's way in. Just how long would he be like this?

Whisper stopped in front of Zombie then held his arms out to keep everyone else back. "STAY BACK! Don't touch him!"

"Aw fuck! She spiked him!" Blitz said and shook his head then leaned down. "What the fuck did you do?"

Patch came up. "Let me see."

Adonis blocked him. "Nothing you can do, Patch. Any movement, any at all, he dies. Only Immortal can save him and she won't. She went that way, pissed off. She won't come back for him."

"Only Immortal knows the secret. The fucker's done." Getaway said. "None of us can do it. She never taught us how."

Kilo looked over at Whisper. "Does he deserve this?"

"Fuck yes!" Whisper looked down at Zombie in disgust. "YOU'RE DONE!"

Raines looked over. "What did he do?"

Whisper looked then walked over to him. "Something he shouldn't have, SIR!"

For a moment there was absolute silence as the two officers stared at one another then Raines became as angry as the others and went over to Zombie and slapped his head. A loud crack followed and he fell over.

"Patch. Get a bag! Resume evaluation tomorrow at zero-seven." Raines said walking off.

Anna was stunned. "My Donna, did we just see what we saw? Are Lyssa and these men the same as the old Mafia? Have they just literally killed one of their own as part of some test?"

"No Anna Fonticello. He wasn't one of us. Not after what he did." Whisper said walking past. "Fall the fuck out!"

Maria wasn’t shaken in the least, but was confused. This was something that the Chicago mob would do. "I don't understand. What did just happen?"

"That guy got up close and said something to Prima Lyssa, Nonnina. That's when she got really pissed off. I could see he talked, but couldn't hear what he said though." Kristine said.

"It was bad." A soft voice said behind them.

Maria went over. "You are called Noc, correct?"

Noc nodded slowly.

"You heard what he said?" Maria asked.

Noc softly replied. "Hear everything. Hear your hearbeat, right now. Hear her, crying. She's afraid."

Anna and the others looked to where he pointed and saw Mindy hiding over behind a palmetto. Kasey and Kristine immediately ran over to her.

"Anna. Go help with Mindy." Maria said, not taking her eyes of Noc. She suspected that if she did, he would disappear and she wanted an answer.

"Tell me, Noc. Just what happened? What was said to Lyssa to make her so angry?" Maria asked.

Noc's eyes were hidden behind dark lenses, but he finally leaned in close. He had heard the ice hard conviction in Maria DeMarco’s voice mixing with concern for more than just a friend. "Zombie told her that he was going to bring her down, strip her and take her until she gave up her name to him. After that, he was going to slice through her neck to take her head and scalp her. His trophy that he was Immortal, never her. He was going to leave her head in the bed with her babies after killing the SEAL."

Maria looked over as Patch returned with a body-bag and began loading Zombie into it. "Then it is a good thing he did not face one of my daughters. They would not have been as quick with his death, but took their time in carving small pieces from his hide. As with Lyssa, she gave him a quick death. I would have killed him myself for that. I'd have torn his heart from his chest."

"No, you couldn't. You'd be dead before you found it. Only Patch knew where it was. And Whisper. Neither would tell. Not even the Colonel knew. It's not in Zombie's file. I couldn't even hear it." Noc replied and began to walk away. "DemonWraiths can't be made, Lady. We have to be found. He still wasn't one of us, the fuck. Immortal always will be. She; of The Faith. Nobody can kill her unless she wants them to. I won't tell you the rest of what he said to her. But he did die in fear. They always do when Immortal kills them."

Patch zipped the bag closed. "What the hell did she do to him, Blitz?"

"Fuck, what didn't she do, Patch? Immortal nailed him with twenty-seven strikes, several were kill-hits. Counted them myself. Then she spiked his ass. He had maybe ten minutes, at most." Blitz remarked. "Didn't you pay attention to the video of the ship take-down? She used the same technique on that fuck, Holland. It's delayed or instant, whichever she wants. She usually uses it to make them linger a while. Die scared. It's the only time she feels anything from a kill, because they made it personal."

"Excuse me. Blitz, right?" Samantha asked.

Blitz nodded. "Yeah. What's on YOUR minds?"

"The fighting style you all use. Not even I've seen it before. What is it?" Bobby asked.

Adonis shook his head. "You wouldn't have. It is called Evolution. Only Immortal teaches it. She created it and it's unbeatable. Nothing else comes close."

"How many times have you seen Lyssa do that?" Samantha asked.

Adonis' handsome face was like stone. "More than we'd like to have. We all fear that technique. None of us can beat her one-on-one. It takes all of us to bring her down."

Blitz ran his fingers through his short hair and sighed. "Truth? This is the fifth time, in person. With those videos, seven. Every time I've seen her do it, that person brought out true pissed off mad. The last time I saw it, she doesn't even know she did it. We cut her loose and she didn't even know it was me. Her eyes couldn't see shit, but for twelve seconds, they focused with true hatred. She nailed one of the tangos that had her. They'd worked on her, for a week. Beatings, electrical. Hell they even pumped her full of coke, twice. Never broke her. I cut her loose and she saw the guy. Slipped through, faster than I'd ever seen, and took him out. Faster than with Zombie. Then she dropped. No pulse. No heartbeat. Nothing. Just gone. Fucking Whisper completely lost it then, bawling his eyes out, pumping her chest and screaming at her to come back."

Samantha could see the formation of tears in his eyes.

"The fucking Captain, four brothers and even the goddamned DEA guy we went in for. All dead, murdered in front of her, to make her talk. Captain was our doc, stupid fucks killed him first. It was a goddamned slaughterhouse in there. Bodies everywhere. We were all losin' it, but Whisper just wouldn't let go. He stayed on her. Screaming in all our fucking brains for her to come back. She didn't want to. He forced her. She wasn't allowed to die when she wanted, they couldn't kill her when they figured out they'd fucked up. Whisper knew everything, gave us only pieces of what went on. He still wouldn't let her go." Blitz said and wiped his eyes then turned to the other new members. "Get this fuck out of here. You have seen The Means of The Way. Follow The Faith, or be ended by it."

After they all left, Maria joined her daughters.

Annette asked. "What did he mean, 'Whisper was screaming in their brains'?"

"I don't know. What I do know, is that we should return to the hangars and see what is happening now. Or we risk more confusion that will never be explained. Lyssa and these people are becoming more frightening than I first thought." Maria stated.

Chapter 4

They had no sooner reached the hangar, Rodrick came tearing in at full speed. "CLEAR MY GODDAMNED HANGAR!"

Maria had enough time to look up to the office and saw the Colonel, standing at Attention, while Dannigan was yelling at him. Rodrick all but flew up the stairs and kicked in the door, shattering the glass window of it.

"YOU SON-OF-A-BITCH!" Rodrick bellowed and slammed him with a punch.

Pete and Eddie began herding everyone out. "Everybody, OUT! Carl, get the doors."

The doors closed as everyone cleared them and Pete shook his head. "Nobody goes in. I haven't seen Rod that pissed in a LONG time. You guys might need a new Colonel when Rod's done."

Carl suddenly blurted out. "DUDE! Kim and Krystel are, ya know, still in THERE. LoneStar, too!"

Kasey and Kristine came up, with Mindy between them, holding their hands. Anna was following them.

Maria looked over and thought fast. "Girls. This is not a place any of you should be right now. Best that you go to our house with Anna."

Mindy shook her head. "I want to see Aunt Lyssa. I want to know why, Noninna."

"Sweet child, Lyssa is very angry right now. She isn't angry with you and she doesn't want you to think she might be." Maria tried to persuade Mindy.

Mindy shook her head. "Aunt Lyssa will tell me why. She won't lie, she promised."

"I see you won't do otherwise. Girls, take her to Prima Lyssa. Perhaps she has calmed enough." Maria sighed.

Whisper moved over to them and crouched down to Mindy. "My name is Whisper. I'll go with you. Come on."

The four went towards Lyssa and Rodrick's house. At the patio doors, they were met by Warlock. He looked up at Whisper, growled then shook his head and backed away.

"Does Warlock know you, Mister Whisper? He doesn't like strangers." Mindy asked.

Whisper gave a shrug. "Must be my personality. I think she's upstairs. Let's go find out."

As if he had lived there himself, Whisper led them upstairs and stopped in the nursery doorway. Lyssa held one of the twins and looked over at him. Anything she would have said, froze as she noticed the girls. Mindy entered.

"Aunt Lyssa, are you ok?" Mindy asked.

Lyssa slowly sat down in the rocking chair. "Not really Melinda. I'm pretty upset right now. Not at you though. Don't be afraid."

"He's a good looking baby." Whisper said then added. "Oops. I meant she. My bad."

Lyssa was paying attention to Allie, but addressed Whisper. "I'll pretend for a minute you're being honest, so stop doing that."

"Habit. If you want to pretend, ok. I do envy you this though. Truth." Whisper replied.

Lyssa ignored him and looked to Mindy. "You saw what happened out there?"

"Yes Ma'am. It scared me." Mindy admitted.

Whisper nodded. "She still is."

"Knock it off." Lyssa glared at Whisper, took a breath then said. "Mindy, Zombie wasn't my friend. He wasn't my teammate. He hated me. He wanted to do bad things, because he hated me. If I didn't do what I did. He would have tried very hard to do those things until I killed him. I refuse to let that even start. Whisper came with you to make sure I heard him out. He thinks I won't do anything with you here."

"Oh, we both know that isn't true. You'd tear me apart no matter who was with us, off sheer principle. I would like for you to hear me out though. Can I?" Whisper asked.

Lyssa looked down at Allie, she was asleep again. Lyssa stood up gently and put her in the crib with Alex. "Downstairs."

Whisper nodded and followed the girls down to wait in the living room, looking around. He smiled at the portrait over the mantle and the shield on the wall. Whisper wandered about and stopped in front of an empty glass case then looked over to Kasey and Kristine.

"So, there used to a be a sword in here?" Whisper asked.

Kristine nodded. "Yeah. How'd you know?"

"Guessed. Must have been serious. To keep a sword locked away in a case." Whisper remarked.

Kasey and Kristine remembered the warning. The sword that had been in that case was reputed to be cursed and was not to be touched at all, but they were confused as to how he knew there had been a sword in the case at all. Even the stand that held it, was gone. Lyssa joined them and sat down.

"Please believe me; I had no clue he was going to do that. Once he confronted you out there, that's when I became aware of it all. You did what you had to. We don't blame you and there is no challenge to it. Right now, your C.O. and your husband are probably shredding the Colonel over this. I think the rest of the eval is going to be canceled and someway to b.s. it, so it doesn't apply to you anymore or something like that." Whisper stated.

Lyssa just looked at him. "Uh-huh."

"Look, I tried to talk the Colonel out of this. He ended up ripping into me, he realized I knew you weren't dead the whole time. I mean, yeah, I knew. I just didn't know what you were up to. Blitz knocked the shit out of me for not telling him you were still alive. When we found out who you are now, Adonis laughed. He was pissed, but laughed for everybody else. Called me everything, but my real name. I didn't know what else to do. The colonel found out, told us, saw I didn't lose my shit and got pissed because I never said anything. Then it got ugly." Whisper explained.

"Define: ugly." Lyssa stated.

Whisper grimaced. "He tried to go to General Singleton, the chairman of the Army and the Secretary of the Army; to have you forced back or taken before the Committee. He wanted your boss hung. The only reason he couldn't, was all his shit got intercepted and slammed down. No idea how, but it did. Next thing we knew, he got a call from your boss and ordered to report. Raines may have pull, but not like your boss. No way. He's nuke-proof. The Colonel thought he could pull something with a valid eval. Not happening. I know your boss already has it ordered to go straight to him. It'll be shredded and burned before anybody sees it. I haven't told him that. I won't. He's wrong for trying this. He threw you out, he shouldn't be allowed to force you back. You're happy now. He's going to have to let you go."

"What about the others?" Lyssa asked.

Whisper nodded. "Us too. We talked about it last night. You earned your freedom. We have no right to make any demands. Not even me. We do want to keep in touch though. You're still one of us. We don't want you to come back to us, but we do need you for you. Come down here, hang out. That would be; Being."

"This; is Being. Being at peace." Kasey said.

Kristine finished for her sister. "Being Family."

Whisper smiled at the two teens. "Oh Ye; of The Faith. She has been teaching you two well, The Faith."

“Whisper.” Lyssa pointed at the two teens. “I’m only one of their teachers. Their family lives by a Creed that is as harsh as any we would follow. Their family raise true assassins. Assassins of the highest caliber and with the greatest honor. As for them Being of the Faith. Well, let’s just say they are, but in more than just one. Keep it to yourself though.”

Whisper stared at the two teens intently then chuckled. "Right. No problem."

"Would we ever be one of you?" Kasey asked.

Whisper gave a strange look. "Doubtful. That's something the Colonel wants to find out. The odds are about one in thirty-five million. The Colonel wants you three tested. Hopefully that gets shot down. He'd pull some shit, yeah. But he wouldn't do something illegal."

"Tested?" Mindy asked.

Whisper nodded, but Lyssa answered. "There's a test. If you are positive then you are flagged and eventually are called to selection. DemonWraiths aren't made, Mindy, we're found. A hundred are called to conceal the one wanted. Ninety-nine percent failure rate."

"Your friend Tiffany is as close as it gets to being one of us." Whisper told them. "Shawna runs a distant second and Krystel, the one hiding under the hangar, squeaks in at third."

Kasey and Kristine's mouths dropped open. None of them had ever mentioned anything about the room under the hangar. Nor had Tiffany or Shawna's names been said at all.

"Just between me and you, Whisper. When did you find out I was still alive?" Lyssa asked.

Whisper grinned. "Your funeral. Your boss was there. He didn't know I was. It was easy. Not what I was looking for though. I was hoping to find the asshole that killed you, or ordered it, there. I was going to take them out. I went home happy instead."

The girls were surprised when the big man sat down on the floor, beckoned Mindy closer and said to her. "When you were taken, we got the call, late. We were on the way to come get you. Lucky for you, your new aunt and all them were there to get to you. I interrogated the one that hurt you. He was very bad. If Immortal and the others hadn't got to you when they did, things for you would have been much worse. I won't tell how, but just know; they saved you from a very horrible life. Ok?"

"That's enough Whisper. She doesn't need to know any more." Lyssa said.

Kristine asked the question they all wanted to know. "You all know her name is Lyssa. Why do you all keep calling her Immortal?"

"It's how we know her. None of us know each others real names, well except for me, Patch and the Colonel. Just the call-signs. Sure we have cover names that the world knows us by, that's not our real names. Yes, I know her name. It's the name on the grave of her former self. To me, she is and always will be, the Immortal." Whisper smiled as a tear slipped down his cheek. "Our one and only sister. The one who did what we never could. Avenge our brothers."

The sound of a baby came over the monitor on the side table. Trembler walked in at the same time.

"Hey. Wow, this is cool. They're still going at it. What's that noise?" Trembler asked.

Lyssa got up, followed by the other five. She went up to the nursery, picked up Alex and handed him to Whisper. "Here. Hold Alex."

"Hey there, guy." Whisper smiled then turned serious and passed him to Trembler. "Here you go."

Trembler looked confused as he held the baby up. "Huh? Why me? Uh. Why's he making that face?"

Alex had a look of exertion on his face and made a soft grunting sound then Whisper began to smirk.

The scent hit fast and Trembler glared at his superior. "He didn't?"

"Who better to hand live ordinance to, than an E.O.D. technician?" Whisper chuckled.

Kasey, Kristine and Mindy understood and giggled. Somehow, Whisper had figured out the baby was about to fill his diaper and passed him off before it happened.

Trembler held him at arm's length. "Aw, man! That ain't cool. Gah. What the hell am I supposed to do now? This wasn't covered in my Bio-warfare course. Damn you, Whisper."

Lyssa finished changing Allie and took Alex from the bewildered soldier. "Give him over, cherry."

Within two minutes, the diaper was changed and Alex was babbling to his sister in the crib. Lyssa went into the bathroom and washed her hands then came back out.

"I.E.D.s are fine, hand you a baby and go into a complete brain-fart. You are new." Lyssa remarked.

Trembler pointed. "Hey, that fuck tricked me! He didn't warn me the kid was primed already. I ain't trained for that."

"And I was?" Lyssa asked.

Trembler shrugged. "Well, yeah. Ain't it in your DNA or something? Maternal instinct or whatever they call it? Why are those three laughing?"

Mindy wanted to roll around on the floor, Kristine and Kasey were sorely tempted as well. Whisper was sputtering, trying not to laugh. Finally Lyssa walked over and spoke quietly in his ear and Trembler slid down the wall to sit on the floor.

"I'm beyond stupid. I thought this whole trip down here was because you were the first chick to ever be in the unit. Nobody actually said anything." Trembler said truthfully.

Whisper patted him on the back, still chuckling. "Well, in a way; that is sort of true. She just had the ultimate cover back then. This is the real person now. The Immortal you see, is the version that should have always been. Murphy just wouldn't leave her alone is all."

Anna knocked at the door. "Prima Lyssa. You and these gentlemen are wanted at the hangar. I will sit the babies for you."

"Thank you Anna. They were both just changed, so they should be fine for a while. If you want, you can take them to the living room to play. Warlock will wander back in anytime to check on them." Lyssa said.

Lyssa, Whisper, Trembler and the two teens left for the hangar. Mindy stayed behind with Anna by her own choice. When they arrived at the Main Hangar, they were all directed to the classroom. Everyone was seated. Colonel Raines had a black eye, and bloodied nose. Rodrick still glared at him with the look of 'one more word and I'll kill your ass" on his face.

Dannigan waved them in. "Find a seat. This evaluation nonsense is over. You men will be leaving tonight. If you all have anything official to say, now's the time."

"I have a question." Maria said then asked. "Just how is this incident going to be explained?"

"Training accident." Blitz replied. "It's not the first, won't be the last."

Drift looked over to Maria. "Ma'am. It may seem over the line for you, but it is what it is for us. We all came into the unit knowing even the training itself can kill us. Zombie was the only one to think otherwise. This is just me talking, but it was only a matter of time before he bought it. Actually, I thought he'd go out in a messier manner."

"Yeah. I saw and still have a hard time believing it. Immortal, I don't know what he did and hope I never piss you off." Clean remarked.

Several others nodded in agreement.

Patch stood up. "He's done now, so I guess there's no harm in giving some information about him. Zombie was unique. He was actually born with a decentralized heart. All four chambers were in different locations. That's why he was hard to bring down. That's what brought him to the attention of Colonel Raines. After closer examination, he was determined to be a possible candidate and invited to selection. He passed and was brought in."

"I'm starting to think that there is some sort of genetic matter that determines something here. Is that the case or no?" Maria asked.

Patch sighed. "There is. Are you familiar with the Fight or Flight response?"

"Si. A person is in a situation where they must react and adrenaline is released in high amount. I am correct?" Maria guessed.

Patch nodded. "Yes Ma'am. That applies to all, but one in thirty-five million people. That very rare few, do not do that. They produce something else. They produce Vionomine. That hormone slows down the organ functions while still elevating synaptic event and inhibiting pain receptors. In short, they move as fast as an Olympic athlete, but with clarity, heightened awareness and strength. This can not be synthesized in a lab. Only certain people produce it and process it. If we tried to make it and were successful, unless you make it naturally, your body would reject it. To try forcing it, would be fatal."

"So it's like a berzerker mode?" Samantha asked.

Patch shook his head. "No. Berzerkers were out of control. DemonWraiths are in complete control of all their faculties."

"So that explains why Blitz is so fast." Hunter said.

Blitz shook his head. "Not really. Sure I make the stuff, but no more than the rest. Immortal actually makes more than any of us. Compared to us, her system can become super-saturated with it."

"Blitz is fast because his nervous system is genetically jump-wired. I can go as fast and a little faster, but not as long as he can. If he can wear me down, he can win." Lyssa added.

"Bitch cheats." Blitz commented.

Lyssa harumphed. "Whiney loser."

Whisper called them both down amid snickers. "Alright, you two."

"Done? Good." Patch said then turned to Maria. "I'm now 'at liberty' to tell you this. I was supposed to examine all personnel here, yes. But for the three girls, I was also supposed to take samples to test if they produce the hormone. That has been counter-manded by your C.O. I will perform physicals, yes. But no samples will be taken. Know this, if any of them ever enlist, they will be flagged for testing and all bets are off. That's it."

At the back of the room the two teens just smiled as Kasey snarked. “Like that’ll ever happen. We’re DeMarcos and Capezios, we uphold OUR family traditions.”

Dannigan got their attention. "That's all for now. Get some chow. DemonWraiths return here and you can watch those training videos and then you secure your equipment for departure later tonight. That is all."

The newer members hung around the hangars, talking with Bobby, Hunter and their wives. Whisper, Blitz, Noc, Adonis, Getaway and Kilo followed Lyssa back to her house. The noise inside got their attention. Walking in from the patio doors, they found a scene that was almost comical. Warlock sat howling and the two babies seemed to be doing their best to imitate.

Anna stood there with her hands over her ears, as did Mindy. "They won't stop!"

Lyssa looked at them then called out. "WHAT IN THE NAME OF BOB BLACK-GLOVES MOUNTEL IS THIS? WARLOCK, ACHTUNG!"

The Belgian shepherd immediately went silent and stood up on all fours, tail down, ears forward.

Both babies called out loudly. "AH!" "WOOO!"

"Secure that insubordination." Lyssa remarked then looked to Warlock and pointed out the door. "Aus, Patrouille! SCHNELL!"

Warlock pelted outside to carry out the orders. Lyssa went over and picked up both babies and set them in the playpen.

"You two; confined to quarters until further notice." Lyssa informed them, only to hear Alex sputter at her and Allie coo.

Getaway muttered. "Takes away all doubts about her not being a chick."

"Motherhood truly does suit you." Adonis chuckled.

Mindy brought over two bottles and the twins quickly latched onto them, smiling for her.

"Prima Lyssa. It was beyond understanding. First the twins began calling out and then Warlock started howling. It seemed like they were egging each other on and getting louder each time." Anna stated.

Lyssa shook her head. "It's alright Anna. Those three do things all the time I have no clue as to why. Why don't you go on and head back home. Mindy, I'm sure your mother is looking for you."

"Ok." Mindy ran off and Anna followed behind.

"SNAFU." Lyssa sighed. "Let's eat and figure out the rest from there."

Rodrick came in and found the seven of them working in the kitchen. Soon dinner was ready and they all sat down. They shared stories, as did Rodrick and Lyssa, of fun and embarassing moments. After dinner they cleaned up and watched Lyssa feed the twins then put them to bed. Just as the sun was setting, the seven went out onto the patio. Each had a glass in hand. After a long silence, they touched their glasses in salute and drank.

"Time to go, guys." Whisper said.

One by one they each hugged Lyssa and shook Rodrick's hand then made their way back to the hangars until only Whisper and Noc remained.

"You had nothing to worry about after all." Whisper said then smiled. "You did turn out to be pretty in the end. Don't be a stranger. Come play. I'll send your racing Load-Out to you, now that I know where. It's just like you left it."

Rodrick looked to Lyssa. "Racing Load-Out?"

Whisper laughed. "She held that back. Her and Blitz used to battle it out on Isle Of Man. If their bikes were race legal, they'd own the Senior Circuit. See you on the road next year!"

"Guess I better get fitted for new leathers now." Lyssa remarked. "How do you think I'll look in white with pink side-stripes?"

"Like the hottest thing on the road. I guess we're forming a racing team?" Rodrick asked.

Lyssa laughed. "A fake one. Just like theirs. It's a chunk of change, but fun as hell. Besides, it's only once a year, why not? I'll ask Maria if she wants to pretend to be a sponsor, she'll get a kick out of it."

Rodrick finally smiled. "Yeah. Why not? I think Eddie knows about bikes. He can fix damn near anything else."

"Then we'll see you there." Whisper said then directed to Rodrick. "Thank you Rodrick Mason. We entrust our sister to you. Officially, this is where we never cross paths again."

Rodrick smirked. "And un-officially?"

Noc handed him a card. "We'll ask to hang out down here. But if all hope is ever lost; call. Help will come. This goes both ways. If we need you, we'll call."

"Sounds fine by me." Rodrick pocketed the card and was surprised when Noc offered a handshake which was returned.

Whisper turned and left. "Have fun!"

Lyssa smiled as Noc took two steps back and practically vanished into the shadows. "He never changes. Until Next time, brothers."

When the C-17 passed over them, heading North, Lyssa knew she would see them again. After all; she was their only sister.

"Not many left in me, Baby. I have to leave the Field soon." Lyssa confided.

Rodrick hugged her tight. "You sure?"

Lyssa nodded. "Whisper told me. He gave me a number. I can still train though."

"Ok. Make sure we save at least one for a rainy day." Rodrick suggested.

Together they went inside.

Chapter 5

The next evening Maria went over to Lyssa and Rrodrick's house after dinner. Kasey and Kristine followed. After entering, Rodrick nodded in the direction of the studio. He was silent due to holding the twins.

Maria stopped in the doorway, as did the teens. The studio was dark and silent, except for the circle of candles on the floor and one long taper-candle in the center. Lyssa was slowly performing a close-pointe dance, barely avoiding the flame.

"Nonnina. What is this?" Kristine whispered.

Maria controlled her shock and warned them. "Never do this! It is very dangerous. One wrong move; your tights will ignite, followed by your clothing and you will burn horribly. Only Olga teaches this. It is a banned exercise. I will not practice or teach it. Olga was the last known Russian to master it. It is part of why she is called the 'Iron Doll'. We were friendly rivals back in our younger days. Now I understand how Lyssa can have such intensity and precision."

Slowly Lyssa turned on her right toe-box and stared at them, an almost dream-like expression on her face. "I do not teach this or perform it publicly. Not even Katya can Dance the Flames. Only Tiffany will learn it and be the last."

Lyssa carefully stepped over the ring of candles en-pointe then rested. After taking off her toe-shoes and tights; she grabbed her tights, opened the outer door and held them to a candle. The tights practically flashed and were consumed in flame, forcing her to drop them on the flagstones outside.

"So, what brings you over?" Lyssa asked.

Maria sighed then gathered herself. "The racing team you asked me about. Were you serious?"

"It's not a real racing team. Just a name. You get your company logo on the bike and my leathers, walk around and pretend to be a sponsor like Rodrick will be. Unlike a real team, you don't actually invest money. Annettte, Sam, Kasey and Kristine dress up in something eye-catching and play like they are Paddock Girls. You get to meet some racing bigwigs and maybe a corporate muckity-muck or two. The guys pretend to be crew. Myself and Eddie do all the actual work on my bikes." Lyssa explained.

Kasey was thinking about it. "Sounds like fun. All we do is walk around and look pretty?"

"Yeah. Oh and a couple of you hold an umbrella over me before I start and one of you gets to stand outside the gate and pose cute." Lyssa chuckled.

Maria was considering it now. "But you're not officially in the actual race. What's the purpose?"

Lyssa laughed. "It's just for fun. The guys go every year. I used to go too. Blitz and I are tied."

"I guess I could go along with it. Sounds harmless enough." Maria remarked.

Lyssa grinned. "Harmless? Oh sure. Welcome aboard Butterfly Racing Innovations. We debut at Isle of Man."

up
513 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Slams down on kudo

wolfjess7's picture

Slams down on kudo button "When does the race start"

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Similar yes,

Sammi's picture

But Jessie looks for cute fury critters when going for the Kudo button.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

I can't slam down the kudo button.

WillowD's picture

I've read this story several times before and there is a limit of one slam per customer.

So it just proved to everyone

So it just proved to everyone on both sides that Lyssa was and is not someone who you want to piss off ever, because you WILL die and suffer badly as you do die.

Colonel Raines has no honor.

He lost for now, but there is no doubt he will be scheming in the future. He reminds me in some ways of the late, unlamented NSA agent Jeff Tyler; he wants what he wants, takes no responsibility for his own actions and doesn't care about the consequences to others. He threw Kory Lyles on the scrap heap for surviving her betrayal and capture. He didn't give a shift about what would happen to him, knowing full well that without a purpose in life, Kory's life would likely spiral into self destruction. When he found out Kory, now Lyssa, was still alive and operational he wanted her back like nothing else mattered and that his betrayal of Kory wouldn't matter.

I'm happy that Lyssa and others will have some adventures with the Demon Wraiths; I just don't trust Colonel Raines, though. His ambition will put all of OICA at risk because he only cares about his unit and not the bigger picture. This could get very interesting.

Another great Lyssa Kordenay adventure with the groundwork set for future missions. Snowfall, thanks for the great Christmas present.

I forsee

Sammi's picture

Raines will be either reigned in or taken out one way or another, he is any units worst nightmare 'Glory Hound'.

Though this smells of the 'Brad Kerrigy' fiasco, when people were attempting to find out who and what OCIA are.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

raines

tigger's picture

It is not a lack of personal honor - it's more dangerous than that. It's tunnel vision. A concept of mission that blanks everything else out. When his team goes in, they go in alone and as the last resort. No backup. So he is in a binary mode good or bad, helps or doesn't help the mission.

He's been there too long and is used to stopping the buck. He has no one to talk to because he and his team doesn't exist. Anything else damages the politicians plausible deniability. He's all alone on that windy corner and as I said, he's been there too long. He needs to be relieved of command but given the unusual nature of his team, the question is by whom?

Tough call. He reminds me of some of the stories about Churchill in war 2 not warning Coventry to protect ultra.

Tiggs

We'll have to agree to disagree

tigger's picture

I see this as someone who has been in the role of 'buck stopper' too long and has a go/no go test for what he does. Does it enhance my mission capability - good or go. Does it degrade mission capability, maybe even is neutral? bad or no-go.

I offer two examples - Winston Churchill and Oliver North. As far as I know, both were highly honorable men who can be (and have been) perceived as dishonorable for their actions in carrying out 'their mission'. Churchill allowed the Coventry attack to go unwarned to protect Ultra and he ordered the disastrous cross channel commando raid on Dieppe in order to 'convince' his allies that such a mission was impossible. North took the lead and took the hit on Iran Contra. Both saw what they did as necessary in the exigencies of war.

Further, you are assuming that there is someone who knows 'everything' or at least enough about black ops and the various teams and individuals who do them to integrate all that is going on. I'm not sure that is a valid assumption. I hope you are correct, but I cannot say so for a fact.

Good discussion, though, and I understand your position.

warm furry hugs

Tiggs

WOW!!!

Robyn B's picture

What can I say... It is good to learn more about the OICA and their personnel, some history and further explanation as to who people are.

And we didn't even have to leave Ram's Rock Island...

Terrific writing, terrific story, terrific...

I surprised myself by reading 11500 words in just 60 odd minutes. The intensity was frightening and I wanted to read faster, get more, couldn't wait to read the next word to see what was gonna happen next.

Now I will take a short while to catch my breath...

Robyn B
Sydney

Oh, Snowfall, what a Christmas present!

It seems like forever, though I know it's not, since you posted a story as you, and not as a background supporter to others. This was exceptional. It gave a bit of infill to the back story which I can't really recall being referred to after the first Lyssa Kordenay I read. I'm sure the posting wasn't on the list when I closed down last night, but I noticed as soon as I logged in (about an hour ago) and when I clicked he Kudos button the total had already reached a gross (144 to those who maybe don't speak the queen's English). There is a lot of well-deserved love for you out there, and the reason is simple. You write so "expletive deleted" well!
My grateful best wishes for the forthcoming year
Dave

Oooh.

A new LKM. Nice! Hope there's more to come.

-Winlyn

"Sounds harmless enough."

WillowD's picture

Sure. Like it's going to be something harmless. Of course, with this crowd, something that terrifies most of us would be harmless to them. :)

in case you wondered

Alecia Snowfall's picture

in case you wondered what the Isle of Man race is, it's the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy. The most dangerous motorcycle race on Earth.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

LKM

Nice to see another LKM. I miss these shorter, grittier stories

Superb!

dani4familyfun's picture

Nothing else to say - Just Superb!

Dani4FamilyFun

I wonder if Sam would’ve been

I wonder if Sam would’ve been tagged for selection if she had enlisted due to her interesting quirk

A visit of two halves

The first half being the nightmare of Raines and the aborted evaluation, cumulating with Zombie severely overstepping the terms of engagement and paying the ultimate price.

Then there was the second, far more cordial half - particularly with the teasing over the twins and the pretend TT team.

It would be interesting to see them have a weekend social visit, with friendly competition between the DWs and the rest (e.g. Triathlon timings, range / kill house performance)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!