The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 26 - Visions of Butterflies and Eagles

Printer-friendly version

 

VoBaE cover.PNG
Book 26 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  The O.I.C.A. are enjoying New Year's Eve in Washington
  elsewhere a young woman yearns for her own freedom
  and intel will come from a very unexpected source!!

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be hyper-violent for some readers.

 

 


 

Visions of Butterflies and Eagles

 
 
 
CHAPTER 1

Lyssa's ballgown swirled as Rodrick turned her as they waltzed in the ballroom of the White House. A colorful sea of chiffon and satin punctuated with the black of tuxedos and deep blue formal uniforms of the military with their ribbons. Rodrick himself wore a black tuxedo with his budweiser, the SEAL Trident, along with the Medal of Citizenry and his Silver Star for Gallantry. Lyssa wore a dark green gown trimmed in black but wore only the jewelry he'd given her. The gown was her secret tribute to her time in the Army and Special Forces.

They were both unarmed and not happy about it, but it was the White House so there was no exception without compromising her cover. Rodrick had offered to carry two MadDog Frequent Flyers in his boots, but was glad Lyssa had refused due to the fact an agent had pressed both boots before admitting them. The composite constructed knives were very popular among the Special Operations community. Lyssa even owned several herself, but she much preferred her Marauder.

Rodrick snarkily commented to the agent, "Disappointed?"

The agent glared at him for that but Rodrick didn't back down giving him a smirk that implied he wanted the agent to make some type of move to be interpreted as hostile. They both got a laugh when the metal detector went off because of the metal plate in the head of grizzled colonel stepping through.

The look he gave the agents when he said,"I ain't taking my head off for any of you wet behind the ears, zit-poppin', fuzz-nutted kids and that's final," made them all step back.

After passing through he noticed Rodrick and Lyssa trying to conceal their laughter and stepped closer.

"Saw you two in action that night; not bad for a navy puke. Young lady I see you're none the worse for wear. Well done both of you," The old Army colonel remarked

Rodrick snapped a quick salute then shook the offered hand. The old colonel gently took Lyssa's hand and kissed it then slanted a look to Rodrick.

"Good evening to you Colonel.You look very distinguished Sir," Lyssa smiled then nodded to his rows of decorations, "I believe its your resume that has the suited young men irritable. Its surely hard to compete with such an impressive record Sir."

"Army woulda gotten you safely out of the way, took out that cock-bite son-of-a-bitch AND saved the President," He smirked.

He threw her a wink after that then proceeded in.

Rodrick rolled his eyes, "should be ashamed of yourself. He's old enough to be your daddy."

Lyssa giggled, "He's still young enough to take the cherries to task In The Fence."

Rodrick understood her subtle reference. The Colonel was a training officer for SPecial Operational Detachment- Delta. Delta Force, or the Unit or Detachment as it was commonly referred to, spent the bulk of their time working within an isolated area of Ft. Bragg. Joining them was called 'going within the fence', the fence meaning that separation between the ability and mentality of Operators and the outside world who would never understand the sacrifices they make.

Years of training and working at high levels of danger took a toll on those individuals. When the Army wouldn't be able to field them anymore, you wouldn't see them casually working at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. They often wound up doing the same things for private security contractors, law enforcement, intelligence agencies. Some even made their way to the entertainment industry as stuntmen or trainers for actors performing their own stunts. They never stopped willingly, they no longer remembered how.

Some time during the ball the President asked to cut in and dance with Lyssa so Rodrick danced with the First Lady. Several pictures were taken and then they returned to their respective partners. Rodrick nodded to familiar faces from the SEAL community while Lyssa whispered those of Delta she had known. There were no members of the DemonWraiths in attendance.

There was one man who's name she had spotted on the guest list provided by Dannigan that set her on edge.

"Rod. Over there by the windows; on the left, salt 'n pepper hair, mustache, left hand behind his back," Lyssa whispered.

"Marked. What's his story," Rodrick asked.

Lyssa nodded to a passing woman then continued, "he's with D.A.R.P.A. but attaches to D.O.D. and N.S.A. Don't get within ten feet if you can and under no circumstances do you let him touch you."

"That bad is he? What kind of specialist is he," Rodrick asked picking up her worry.

Lyssa steered them in another direction, "he's listed as an interrogator but he's not. He's an information extraction specialist. They call him 'The Possessor', and yes; he's very bad. You've never met his kind before and I pray you never do."

'I'm going to ask Paul about that guy. He's got to be beyond bad news if Lyssa avoids him like a level 5 contagion,' Rodrick thought to himself.

~o~O~o~

Kimberly was enjoying her dance with the man she had met. A personal trainer at one of the more swanky fitness club of the area when her cellphone tucked into her cleavage vibrated. It was Dannigan. She stepped into the ladies' room to take his call.

"Kimberly I'm sorry to interrupt. did you drive yourself," he asked.

"No Sir, I rode with Pete and Madison," she answered.

"Something's come up, grab a taxi and meet me at the office," he said angrily.

"Yes sir. As fast as I can," she answered then disconnected.

She found Pete and Madison hiding in a corner kissing after she apologized to the trainer for having to leave and took a taxi to the office.

Dannigan sat at his desk in a tuxedo waiting for her.

"What's up Major," she asked.

He nodded to the large screen, "Marilyn Somerset, daughter to the Senator Alex Somerset. She's a new age type and got involved with a group of 'truth seekers' in South Dakota. The problem is she's now being held against her will. a letter smuggled out of the compound begging her father to get her out. Two aides were sent to bring her home. That didn't go well, they've been hospitalized. So said 'they were hostile and tried to kidnap her' so the 'security' had to protect themselves and the girl. This could quite quickly turn into a Waco/Ruby Ridge if the Feds get involved. I need you to go to work tonight compiling all data about Morning Dawn."

"How certain can we be that she truly is being held hostage. You did say she's the new age type," Kimberly asked.

Dannigan brought up a video and sent it to play on the plasma.

A young woman spoke to a camera, "Daddy I know you mean well but you can not force me to abandon Morning Dawn. I HAVE to stay here daddy. I'm going to have Malcolm's baby. I love him, just like you loved Miranda. Please don't send anymore men here. I love you."

Dannigan shut off the video, "she used a duress phrase. 'Like you loved Miranda'. Miranda was the Senator's intern, a lot of people believed they were having an affair. In truth she was insane. When she couldn't seduce him into getting her pregnant so she would force him into marriage for the jackpot she threatened to have Marilyn raped and murdered if he wouldn't cooperate. The truth was kept from the press, they believed and printed that she committed suicide over being afraid of rejection. The real truth is she had to be killed by Secret Service here in Washington."

"That's eighteen different kinds of ate-the-fuck-up Major," Kimberly commented.

"Oh it gets worse. Service found the Senator manacled to her bed and she was on top of him. Her medicine cabinet had illegal fertility drugs and ovulation testers and she had loaded him up with E.D. pills. Damn near killed him with those. That was one batshit-fuckin'-crazy woman," Dannigan stated.

Kimberly nodded, "ok, yeah I can see how that would used as a duress signal."

Dannigan added," Lyssa and Rodrick are going to need everything that can be found for this."

"Yes Sir, I'll dig up whatever is there,"she affirmed.

Dannigan nodded.

Just as Kimberly reached the door he spoke up, "You look wonderful Kimberly, sorry to take you away from your evening. If you want I'll arrange lunch for two at Chelsea's and make it look like you won a contest"

Kimberly smiled, "now that would be very nice Major," then left.

~o~O~o~

In short time she was back at the Georgetown house and dressed comfortably. She hacked into various databases and began compiling the information. NRO, National Reconnaissance Office, provided highly detailed photos of the compound in both color and infra-red. She was able to use the satellites to make floor plans of each building and count human heat sources. Other places provided other, more disturbing intelligence. Fertility drugs were being prescribed to several females in the compound. A new prescription had been issued to Marilyn three days ago. Cases of at-home ovulation and pregnancy testers had been ordered online.

The leader Malcolm was sketchy to say the least. He had been staying off the grid for quite some time. There were several reports of money scams and tax fraud but nothing substantial for other agencies to act on, not even social services could find a valid reason to investigate.

A Lakota reservation was located next to the compound and there had been several incidents between the group and the tribe about trying to encroach on their reservation. The tribal council had made formal protests to the Department of Interior; Indian Affairs. That gave her a lot more to work with. Unhindered by many restrictions, the Tribal Police had their act together and had been investigating the group that appeared more and more like a cult. They weren't big on 'White-eyes' crowding their land, it made them uneasy. Crazy ones were even less welcome.

Kimberly didn't blame them. Reports of auto-fire had alarmed the Tribal police and after they verified that the cult security did have automatic weaponry that consisted of assault rifles and sub-machine guns, mainly AR-15's and Model-10 Ingrams, widely known as MAC-10's. They were actively compiling a substantial case to get Federal authorities involved.

Several large bore hunting rifles were noted as well so it was possible that some were training to perform sniper work. This was another Waco or Ruby Ridge just waiting to happen. The Feds had a bad rep for those situations. Now she knew why the O.I.C.A. had been tapped for the situation. The military couldn't intervene due to Posse Commitatis. They, however, could.

Their charter allowed them to work both outside and within the borders. The aspect of the Senator's daughter edged it to a threat of National Security, but still in a grey area. They worked in that blurry area.

One name kept popping up in the reports grabbed her attention; Thomas DayMoon. The frequency had to be significant. A search of the tribal registry revealed him to have a very obscure listing within the tribe. He wasn't an elected councilman, but he was on it and had been for over forty years. Never a tribal president or chief but his name was everywhere on things.

Confused, Kimberly then researched tribal infra-structure of that nation and found that the tribal president was elected as were most council-members. Two positions were always appointed and/or inherited. They were ancient and traditional positions still in use. The War-chief, which is different than the Tribal-chief and the medicine-man/woman.

Kimberly knew that often the last name was the true name. It denoted family or major event during birth. A quick check of the day of birth revealed that the man had been born during a solar eclipse. That qualified as a major event and would give rise to such a distinct name. Perhaps that meant he was the tribe's medicine-man? Such an event would lead them to believe he came from powerful magic. Either way due to the information he provided so far he may have to be contacted for more.

"But how do we do that," Kimberly asked herself aloud.


CHAPTER 2

Thomas DayMoon sat chanting as he had for three days and nights. His three nephews took turns keeping the fire burning for him as he gazed unfocused into the flames. Suddenly he saw it.

Rattlesnake coiled around a Rabbit striking at it but not biting. The Rattlesnake looked up. An Eagle swooped down from the moon. Rattlesnake hissed at Eagle and bared its fangs lunging at it but Eagle called out and a Butterfly came. The Butterfly fluttered around behind Rattlesnake and took Rabbit away. The Butterfly and Eagle landed on Rattlesnake's back. Rattlesnake began bleeding and died. Then Eagle flew away with Butterfly on his back to dive into a lake.

Thomas' vision returned to the flames and he stopped his chanting. The vision had been revealed to him, now he would wait until the vision came to pass.

"You had it Uncle Thomas," the teen-aged boy asked.

"I have," Thomas answered then recounted his vision.

The boy was very puzzled,"what does it mean uncle Thomas?"

"The spirit world doesn't work the way this one does boy. Vision may tell you exactly what you need to know but not always in a way you can easily understand," he explained.

"I know that Rattlesnake is the evil and Rabbit is the innocent but what about Eagle? And why Butterfly? A butterfly can't kill. They're harmless," the young teen stated.

"Butterflies are the symbol of change, but that may not be why butterfly comes. Butterfly maybe a totem of the one who does bring change and Eagle may be bringing butterfly here," Thomas said.

"And Eagle dives into a lake? They can't swim," the boy protested.

The old man chuckled, "If the sky had no clouds we'd never see rain and the plants would die. Even I do not understand all of this vision, but when it has come to pass then I will see the truth in it."

"This spirit world stuff is hard to understand Uncle Thomas," the boy stated.

"If it were easy then there'd be no need for me, would there," he answered sagely, "eyes sharp young buck. Look for the butterfly for it will come soon but may not be obvious."

The boy nodded then turned to leave, "I guess this what the teacher meant by metaphorical."

"You have to learn the old ways. Our way is the image, the white-eyes' way is the word. You must SEE the message, not read it," DayMoon advised.

~o~O~o~

Rodrick read the briefing packet over Lyssa's shoulder.

"Baby, that's a hornet's nest and a half just waiting to get pissed off," he commented.

"mhmm. That's putting it lightly," she agreed," getting in won't be a problem. It's getting in from where that is. The closest thing is the reservation and I'll lay odds that they really aren't enthusiastic about us white-eyes nosing around."

"The biggest problem is why would we be around. There's nothing there," he added.

Lyssa read more about the tribe members and finally saw the one spark of hope. A girl named Jessie TwoHawks had on her social pages an interest in dance. She snatched up her phone and called Dannigan.

"Major, I'm going to send you 250,000 dollars. Set up a scholarship fund for native american dancers and send a letter to Jessie TwoHawks on the reservation that she will be visited by a representative. She's being selected to attend UCLA, performing arts," Lyssa instructed.

"Damn you're slick. Ok give me a few hours to handle that but go ahead and deploy," he answered and disconnected.

Rodrick sat down heavily, "Fuck me! I can't believe you came up with that so fast. I'm a rock compared to you. SEALs would have been struggling for a week to find an 'in' and you did it in less than an hour."

"I'm a woman. That's ok baby, the Feds wouldn't have ever come up with an in at all baby. 'Stomp in, beat their chest and fuck everything up'. They don't worry about OPSEC like we do," she replied.

Rodrick knew she was right, for them Operational Security was everything. Feds wouldn't work this undercover; they'd simply go in with a brass band leading the way. They packed all they'd need and headed for the airfield, within an hour and a half they were taking off heading west.

Within three hours Dannigan had the necessary information in databases and a certified letter heading to Jessie TwoHawks. Lyssa and Rodrick had the formal paperwork. All she would have to do is call a number and enter her information and a check would be issued to UCLA for her tuition and supplies. A credit card would be issued to her with a five thousand dollar balance for additional needs including travel. The idea was actually good.

He'd have no big problems to make it a real foundation to continue it. Dannigan had Madison type up letters to various people that were known to support native american arts to ask if they'd join and run it. It was fun sometimes when a mission did more good than originally intended. A few "donations" from various government funds were easy to obtain for the Foundation and he easily set up a local office. By the time they replied it would be all set up for them to take over and do great things.


CHAPTER 3

Marilyn looked out the barred window and all she saw was snow and dried grasses that hadn't been cut or trampled down. There was barely any heat in the room and the soup they'd brought her was ice cold. She couldn't believe she'd been so gullible. Malcolm had played her perfectly. She knew her father had gotten her letter asking to be brought home because she'd seen his aide and security man arrive then promptly beaten and sent back.

Now she was being punished. Malcolm had sworn that he'd do everything possible to keep her there, including getting her pregnant to show she wanted to remain there by having his baby. She knelt shivering next to the cot and prayed for somebody from her father to come take her home.

~o~O~o~

The Tribal council watched as Lyssa laid a clutch of sage tied with ribbon on the table and then a pouch of tobacco in front of Thomas DayMoon.

Lyssa nodded to them, "I believe its the custom when visiting tribal elders to bring these gifts."

The council President smiled and said, "Not neccessary Ms.Kordenay but very much appreciated that you'd make such effort to be respectful. Please make yourself comfortable and tell us why you've come."

Lyssa took her coat off then addressed the council at large, "As I'm sure you've been told; Ms. TwoHawks has been selected by the Foundation of American Arts to attend UCLA in the Arts department in hopes that she will bring the beauty of your traditional dances as she learns various other forms of such expression including ballet. Its the hope that such expressions may be shared and preserved through college study. Too many of such arts have been forgotten through the years and that is a shameful thing."

Various members at the table murmurred their agreement.

Lyssa continued, "She would also be working with the anthropology department and sociology. Dancing is but another way to tell stories and much of your history is expressed that way. Should it not be preserved and protected for ALL future generations?"

She had directed the last of her statement to Thomas DayMoon and that was when he noticed the butterfly pendant.

He said in a clear steady voice, "Ms. Kordenay there is much truth in what you say. Too many of our ways are being forgotten and lost. Perhaps through this sharing some them will be preserved. The learned people of the colleges will be able to know our stories and ways. I see this as a GOOD thing."

Lyssa looked at him with respect, "It would be things that could be shared without intruding into deeper and more sacred of your traditions sir."

He chuckled, "You mean our medicine practices."

Lyssa stood her ground, "I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about such things sir. I'm an outsider and know there are many things I don't understand and more than probably; not supposed to understand. However, that doesn't mean I can't be respectful of those things sir and convey that I wish to be respectful."

He sat quiet for a moment then said,"Thank you for your respect Ms. Kordenay. Its a rare thing to see and it does NOT go overlooked."

The council agreed at large.

The tribal President nodded, "we thank you for the respect you've shown us Ms. Kordenay and are glad that you represents this Foundation. Tomorrow night a meeting will be held to present Jessie TwoHawks the scholarship."

Lyssa smiled, "My many thanks to the council for its wisdom and dedication to their traditions and the preservation of them."

She curtsied gracefully then collected her coat and walked to the doors.

Rodrick opened the door and followed her out to the main hall where a young boy stopped them just as they were reaching the main doors.

" Ma'am? Sir," he called out to them.

They both stopped and turned.

The boy saw Lyssa's butterfly pendant then Rodrick's belt buckle which was a modified SEAL trident.

"Yes," Lyssa asked.

"My uncle Ma'am, he'd like to speak with you privately. Here are the directions, he'd like you to be there at seven please," he said.

"You're uncle," Lyssa prompted.

"Thomas DayMoon," he answered.

"We'll be there, thank you," Rodrick said.

~o~O~o~

"So boy. What did you see," Thomas DayMoon asked his nephew.

"I saw the butterfly pendant; around the woman's neck! And the Eagle on the belt buckle of the man with her. I know THAT symbol! Its the same one Navy SEALs wear," he answered.

"You saw an Eagle that comes from water; carrying a Butterfly that brings change did you not," he asked pointedly.

The boy nodded, "ok. That's two totems explained but what about Rattlesnake and Rabbit?"

"They will be revealed when its their proper time. Now its time for you to go home,"he said sternly.

The teenager left just as Lyssa and Rodrick pulled in. Their knock was answered by the old man who invited them in.

"So. Butterfly and Eagle have come," he said sitting down.

Lyssa guarded her surprise, "Excuse me Sir?"

The old medicine man chuckled to himself, "you are Butterfly. A bringer of change and you have been brought here by the Eagle that comes from water," pointing to Rodrick, "I have seen your coming."

"That's an interesting analogy,"Rodrick said.

"The two of you will fight Rattlesnake who guards and torments Rabbit. My Vision has told me of this. I have SEEN it," he said firmly.

"Tell us about the compound close by," Lyssa said with a stoney expression.

DayMoon told them all he'd seen both with his eyes and those of the spirit world. Lyssa took out the high resolution photos and pointed out the building and asked what he knew about them. It took an hour to gain all the knowledge there was to had from him which turned out to be very useful.

"Tell me Butterfly, is Rattlesnake the only reason you are here," DayMoon asked.

Lyssa looked over her shoulder, "the scholarship is real. I paid for it myself."

He nodded as she followed Rodrick out, "you are a true Butterfly."


CHAPTER 4

Marilyn lay huddled on the bed in the cold dark room. A building all by itself with two men outside guarding the door. If she bothered to she could see the stars but she lay still bundled with everything she could to stay warm. She had did all she could to be active but now she was tired and was fighting sleep and uncontrollable shivering. Mentally she prayed again for help to come soon, preferably before she froze to death, or the promised daily and nightly sessions of rape by Malcolm to impregnate her.

 

Lyssa slowly let her hand down into the snow to avoid the loud crunching sound as she and Rodrick crawled into the compound. they'd used long range night-scopes to see if the guards were using any kind of night optics and lucked out. No goggles or scopes being used even though there was a sniper in a tree beside the main building. First things first, the Senator's daughter had to be freed then they'd be able to deal with the leader; Malcolm Fitzroy.

They encountered a single guard at the end of the compound's inner perimeter. Rodrick was closer and dove at the rifle carrying man. The former SEAL brought him down fast and pinned his hands to the ground with the rifle. The sentry couldn't reach the trigger as Rodrick held him down with his left hand and right boot to slam the but of his pistol to the back of his head. Quickly he used the man's boot laces to tie his wrists and ankles. The parka drawstrings held his own scarf in his mouth as a gag.

Lyssa crept upon another and dropped him to the ground. Quickly she clamped her right hand over his mouth and nose while wrapping her other arm and legs around his torso. Every time he let out a breath she tightened her hold. He found himself with no room to breath in as Lyssa mimicked a constrictor snake and suffocated him into unconsciousness. She kept her hold over his mouth and nose when his struggles stopped. He was dead within minutes. He hadn't even had the chance to pick up trace evidence from her.

Rodrick took station on one side while Lyssa on the other. They were mentally counting down then moved simultaneously. The guards had no clue what was happening when they were suddenly hit from both directions at once and brought down. Rodrick secured them while Lyssa used her picks on the the locks. the knob and deadbolt were easy but the padlock gave her a problem. It resisted due to the cold but she popped it after a minute and slowly entered the dark room.

Lyssa crossed over to the bed and gently shook the bundle there, "Marilyn. Marilyn. Get up. Its time to go."

"Please be real. Oh god please be real," Marilyn said to the darkened form and its face of complicated elegant swirls.

Lyssa looked at her with her swirled pattern of facial markings disguising her, "I'm very real. Now let's go!"

Rodrick had shot the sniper out of the tree and since there were no other guards outside started a SUV after digging out the bullet.

"Get in the vehicle,"Rodrick ordered.

Marilyn grabbed at the first figure, "wait! He has tapes. Video tapes of girls he raped to get pregnant! You have to get those tapes!"

Rodrick nodded, "we'll get them. Now tuck down low and stay quiet."

Marilyn laid down across the backseat. Lyssa ducked inside a building and fired two silent shots at the guard outside an interior door carrying an assault rifle. Rodrick crept inside then waited as she picked the lock on the door and slithered inside after her. They approached the bed from both sides then rose up.

Malcolm Fitzroy slept alone in the bed. Lyssa drew the Marauder from the back of her thigh and Rodrick brought out his titanium dive knife. They positioned their blades on opposite sides of his neck and drew them across at the same time. Malcolm bolted up grabbing at his neck but the blood gushed out soaking into the bedding as he gurgled trying to call out.

Lyssa leaned in close, "Past the gates; before the devil's throne. I've been to hell Malcolm Fitzroy...."

Rodrick finished, "we're sending you back in exchange...fuck-head."

He fell back weak from the blood loss and as his eyes glazed over. Rodrick went back into the hall and dragged the dead guard inside. Quickly he dug into the skull and dug out the rounds. Lyssa searched the room and broke into the locked cabinet. Tapes with women's names were in there. she grabbed a pillowcase and filled it with the tapes.

Lyssa followed Rodrick back out. They quietly drove out of the compound then at the main road pulled over a few minutes later. It had started snowing again.

"From here you go alone kid," Rodrick stated.

Lyssa added, "say nothing about us. To anyone! You'll see the airport on this road. Give the tapes to security there, there's a plane waiting for you. Now go."

Marilyn drove away leaving Rodrick and Lyssa to make their way back to their hidden car on the reservation. Kimberly had re-routed an Air Force transport to pick up the girl. Two Federal Agency planes had also been diverted to land at the airport and delayed an hour. One was Marshals and the other was an NSA team going to Alaska for training. That should confuse everybody for a few days and delete the records of Lyssa and Rodrick being there.

~o~O~o~

The tribal President spoke loud and clearly, "Jessie TwoHawks. You have been called to council to receive a great gift. Here to present it; Lyssa Kordenay."

Lyssa stepped forward to address the young woman, "Jessie TwoHawks. Your passion for your native dance and enthusiasm for other forms of the art have not gone unnoticed. The Foundation for American Arts has selected you for a scholarship to attend UCLA to work with its Performing Arts hand in hand with Anthropology and Sociology to preserve and protect while educating about the art of your native dance while you study other forms of this artistic expression."

The assembled crowd applauded.

Lyssa continued, "Dance has always been a form of story telling and here is your chance to share yours with others while they share theirs' with you."

Lyssa handed over the envelope to her.The young girl blushed and tried to hold back her tears of happiness.

"Thank you so much for this opportunity! I am also thrilled that its you, Lyssa Kordenay; the Ghost Legend, that has brought it to me. Thank you so very very much," Jessie said with tears now rolling down her cheeks.

Thomas DayMoon stepped closer, "Lyssa Kordenay, Jessie has been telling us all of the stories about you she's heard. The prestigious schools of dance you've attended, the title of renown you have, and that ballerinas everywhere respect you. And that you even saved the life of your President himself, along with your man Rodrick, to whom bravery and service is no stranger."

Lyssa curtsied with all the grace of the Prima she was, "I'm flattered."

The old man announced, "As you have brought a gift to us with this honor to Jessie, allow us to give honor to you both. Lyssa I give you the name 'Kimimela'; Butterfly. Butterfly is the bringer of change and I believe to be your totem."

"Thank you DayMoon. I'm very honored to have a name among you and your people; the proud Lakota," Lyssa curtsied again to applause.

He turned to Rodrick then and announced, "Rodrick Mason, you will be known as Wambli-Mni; Water Eagle. It is a reflection of your past and present."

Rodrick nodded to the old medicine man, "My thanks to you DayMoon for this high honor of having a name to be known among your great people Sir."

The tribemembers then applauded them both. Lyssa and Rodrick thanked them all then made to leave. As they were walking out the main doors a voice spoke from behind them.

Thomas Daymoon said, "the vision has come to pass. The Eagle from Water who carries Butterfly, the bringer of change; freed Rabbit and killed Rattlesnake. Now Eagle returns to Water carrying Butterfly."

"We trust this will be kept between us and the spirit world Sir," Lyssa replied.

DayMoon nodded then watched as they drove away into the night, "only those who have Vision may understand you Kimimela, the brave spirit you are."
 
 
 
 

Lyssa Kordenay Returns in Canyons and Legends!!!
up
509 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dammmmmmmm

iamaredneck07's picture

Do I need to say anymore? You just keep getting better and better with each story. I am now a junky waiting for my next fix.

01010111 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100111 01101111 01100100 01100100 01100101 01110011 01110011 01100101 01110011

What he said

WillowD's picture

except I have 18 more books to go before I run out and have to wait for my next fix.

The legend continues to grow......

D. Eden's picture

Another wonderful chapter and another completed mission for Roderick and Lyssa. The legend of the Butterfly continues to grow, and it is nice that Lyssa gets the respect she truly deserves, not just as a ballerina, but for her true art as well - the art of death.

For death is an art. Few people can practice the art well, and even fewer ever master it. Especially the type of art that Lyssa performs. As Kimberly stated some time back, Lyssa truly is one of a kind. She is well matched with Roderick, who's strengths fill in those places where Lyssa is weaker due to her femininity. She has a wonderful partner, and a truly spectacular team behind her.

I practiced death once, and I was good at it too. But my art was different than Lyssa's. Mine was a more in your face, no holds barred, shake the earth kind of performance. Although I was not above dealing death up close when required to. A happenstance that unfortunately occurred too many times.

I miss the cleanliness of it - the clear cut lines and the wonderful mathematical equations. I could picture the ballistics in my head just by applying myself to it. It lost something in the doing though. The heat and the sand, the noise and the smells, the stench of burned sand and death mixing in your sinuses and your throat - it took the clean feelings away from me. Oh, I could still do the ballistics in my sleep; I could still plan missions at the drop of a hat; I could still lead men into battle - but the allure is gone. What happens to the warrior when honor dies?

When is a soldiers duty truly done? Who will save his soul when the demons come out at night?

One of my great-grandmothers was a full-blooded Cherokee. She died when I was in high school. But the last time I saw her - I remember it well as it was my 13th birthday - she told me that I would be a true warrior, a leader of men. And she also told me that I would be surrounded by death and that she would pray to the old gods for my protection. I'm still not sure if her prayers were answered.

This story is still just as good as it began Hon - I look forward to it every week, waiting to see what new mission Lyssa will perform. And I wonder every week what memory she will stir within me.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

an answer

Alecia Snowfall's picture

while you are unsure I know for certain her prayers were answered. You are with us, that's how I know for certain. The fact you still hurt inside is proof of what you never lost, your humanity. As to what's coming next time for Lyssa; NO SPOILER!!!!!*hugs you and laughs*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

new comments

as onward you go with the wonderful tale of Lyssa it gets harder and harder to coin superlatives about the journey so rather than babble on I say thanks Pretty Gal I love your work

Thanks Snowfall for this

Thanks Snowfall for this wonderful story chapter in Lyssa and Rodrick's new life together. They do indeed make a great team. I also thank you for the excellent manner in which you portrayed the Lakota people and their Shaman, Daymoon, as well as the special gift giving that Lyssa did in honoring him as the Tribal Elder.
Janice Lynn

Unable

Dahlia's picture

How does one add to what has been said so well? My minor words don't compare and I'm unable to say it better or more thoroughly.

Instead I just say thinks so much!!

Dahlia

keep it simple

Alecia Snowfall's picture

keep it simple if you want. If you like it all you have to do is say so and smack the kudo button. if a certain part really grabbed you feel free to mention it. Best thing is just use your own words to say what you think.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

KISS

Another job well done.

Joanna

Boa factoid

Apparently it has been recently discovered that boas do not kill necessarily by suffocation but by cutting off blood flow. Apparently depriving that is a faster way to kill then cutting off air, which makes sense as one can stop breathing for a pretty good period of time and still survive.

sometimes

Alecia Snowfall's picture

that happens when they wrap around the neck too, depends on the size of the prey. When something stops breathing for a certain period of time they can not resume on their own. Duration of time I won't specify and I'd appreciate no prompting from the studio audience please, nor experimentation. The old phrase is applicable here: Don't try this at home kids.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Especially good

gillian1968's picture

I grew up among Native Americans in Oklahoma and now live and work with many here in New Mexico.

I think you did a very good job of presenting their point of view.

And the change is subtle, but I think your writing has gotten better and more interesting in the course of this series.

Gillian Cairns

Great chapter!

I'm just in the process of catching up on my reading here on BCTS as I've had a very busy summer traveling doing trans activism work. now that things have slowed down and I'm not on the road nearly as much, I'm finally working on getting caught up on reading my favorite on going stories here. I really liked this chapter and the one before this one. Both made me laugh and cry as i read them. As it happens, I live in South Dakota and I grew up in a small town next to a Lakota reservation. Many of my childhood friends are Lakota I have have spent a lot of time learning the Lakota ways and traditions, for which I have a deep respect for. I belong to a Two Spirit group here in Sioux Falls. Tomorrow afternoon I will be attending a local Wacipi (Powwow) at the local fair grounds. BTW, I've been helping Elrod's writing of the Kayda story series by providing Elrod with detailed information of the Lakota ceremonies, customs, rituals and lore described in the story. I provided almost all of the information used to describe the ceremonies, the traditional foods severed at the potluck meal, the Lakota songs sung during the sweat lodge ceremony during Kayda's visit to the Rosebud Reservation in Kayda 3 - Two Spirits: Chapter 3 - Zuya Wikhoskalaka.

I'm so enjoying reading your stories of the continuing adventures of Lyssa. I still have a fair number of chapters to read before i'm caught back up. so I'm going to be busy reading for a while.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne.

New Year, Lyssa style

Engaging the help of a friendly tribe, creating a scholarship programme, infiltrating a compound, and attending a presentation of the first scholarship. She's one extraordinary woman!

Meanwhile, a new development in the Lyssa / Roderick team: both delivering the "gone to hell" phrase and simultaneously delivering the killing blow.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!