Life-Changing Moments 3

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 3: Challenges

Few days passed by and I got accustomed to wearing braids regularly. I think I loved the feeling of wearing braids. One day when my sister was brushing my hair to make it into a braid my sister said...

Sharla: Skye your hair has gotten so long now are you going to cut it or are you going to grow them more?

I was so mesmerized by her hair brushing that I never thought what I wanted to say and just said what came to mind.

Skye: I was thinking of growing them more longer.
Sharla: What did you just say?
Skye: Nothing (regretted saying that out loud)
Sharla: I heard what you said, you want your hair longer? (grinning)

I kept quiet.

Sharla: Well if you want to I will support you but you need to take care of them properly for keeping them healthy, neat & clean!
Skye: OK, and thank you for supporting me, sis.
Sharla: you have very girly hair though it will be nice to see them grow longer lol.

"sis," I said as we both laughed in unison. Just as she was finishing my braid and putting the band we heard the knock my sister finished putting the band at the end and opened the door it was Amber. My sister guided her inside and then she noticed me and said "Hi, and sorry about the other day I thought you were a girl as you were wearing a braid, Julia my roommate told me that you are a boy."

My cheek was red with embarrassment. "Hey, Amber! Don't worry everyone thinks that my brother looks like a girl. Actually for the most part he is a girl." said my sister and started laughing. Amber also started laughing I was shyly looking at her and thought wow her laughter is also very pretty.

After that Amber & my sister were talking with each other about their stuff as I was watching some series on my sister's laptop and I was unconsciously playing with my braid end like a girl. Then I noticed Amber staring at me. I became aware of what I was doing immediately stopped it! She smiled and said
"It's OK Skyler! I like boys who are comfortable being a little feminine. I am not very much comfortable being with those macho jocks types of guys anyway."
It was at this moment I fell in love with her, those words were so heartwarming for me.

After a week or so I got a call from my parents they told me they knew about my situation from Sharla. (They were very angry) They told me at least find a part-time Job & send us some proof this time or come home.
For the next few days, I tried searching for jobs but was unable to find one which is suitable for me.
I gave up but thinking about going back to the village and facing my family there put me in a panic state as I did not know what to do. At home, I told Sharla about my whole situation.
She said...

Sharla: I can help you with this.
Skye: But how?
Sharla: A few days ago when I was talking to Amber she said she needed a new female assistant at her part-time work in the cafe.
Skye: And how is that supposed to help me?
Sharla: Idiot brother you will apply for the assistant job.
Skye: Don't they require a female?
Sharla: So what?
I was SHOCKED
Skye: Are you MAD or what?
Sharla: First listen to me OK!
Skye: umm hmm
Sharla: Dress up as a girl it will be easy as you have long hair and I will help you with everything you need & you need to send something as proof to our parents? Or else you will have to go to the village and you don't want that right? Just join as an assistance work take the money and send them and you are a good cook anyway.

Skye: I have to dress as a GIRL! I won't do such jobs and also I like Amber what will she think about me when she sees me like that? I have some pride!
Sharla: Oh you moron. You have to work there in the morning. Amber works in the evening and returns at night. You have all day to do the work. I will introduce them as my Cousin Simple.

I was still thinking and hesitating about it.

Sharla: See I am not saying do this forever. Just do for a 4 till your exams and study at night. Then we will find another Job which suits you. But...
Skye: but what?
Sharla: Not only you need to dress as a woman and do the work.
You need to learn makeup and we also need to go to a salon to at least even your ends.
Skye: no way I am going to do that.
Sharla: OK then pack your bags and go back home.
Skye: Alright, alright I will do it. (Still feeling somewhat regretful.)

After saying ok my sister called Amber and told her that her cousin SOPHIE(me) will do the job. The interview with the owner was scheduled 3 days later. So I had 3 days for preparation.

On the first day, First, she made me shave all of the body hair which I did not have much then helped me practice my girl's voice after that, I and my sister had gone for shopping for buying some casual clothes, makeup, & hair accessories like a headband which took the whole day & what's worse she made me wear her t-shirt and jeans with my hair in a single braid so that it should build up my confidence during work.

On the second day, she took me to a unisex salon for a slight trim where her friend worked. When I entered the salon I only found females there it was very awkward. When it was my turn my sister told her friend what to do in her ear. (I thought it was nothing but I was soo wrong!) Her friend called her colleague Mary (Mary was a good-looking girl in her 20s I think she was wearing this sleek-looking ponytail which moved whenever she moved which I thought was cute ) & told her what to do but I couldn't hear so I ignored it. Then Mary guided me to my seat. She examined me and then removed the clip from my bun. Her jaw dropped when all my hair cascaded down to my lower back. Then she said, "Sir you got very beautiful hair, many girls will die to get hair like this."
"Thank You very much," I said in an awkward tone.
"Your welcome!" she said. Then she asked me "Do you want to reduce your length or only to even your ends." I told her I only want to even my ends as I was going to grow them more longer.
After my hair I looked at my hair it definitely looked more feminine now as the ends look great. Then she took me towards a basin to wash my hair. After that when she was drying my hair I was getting sleepy. I just closed my eyes for 1 min *click-click* I felt Intense pain in both my earlobes I immediately woke up and saw 2 small loops in my ear as my sister was there laughing standing next to me. I let out a sigh and told her "I suspected you would do something like this." She said, "still it looks good on you with that hair!"
After everything we left the salon as we were going home, people were sort of noticing me due to my hair being straight and laid out.
I think I liked my hair like this.

On the third day, my sister taught me how to do makeup and different types of hairstyles & how to act/behave like a girl. (manners and all) Damn it was hard to remember everything how do all girls manage this kind of stuff every day I thought.

Finally, it was the day of the interview. My sister made me wore her casual dark blue blazer and the matching skirt. My hair was done in a Bun (It looked quite big because of length I think) because My sister said the bun looks professional in an interview. She applied some light makeup. I looked into myself in the mirror I was shocked at how different I looked. (I looked more like my mother when she was young like in her 20s or something.) "You turned out quite a beauty!" Said Sharla. "All thanks to you!" I said to her.

My sister dropped me at the bakery it was not far from our apartment a 10 min walk I think. "Sunshine Cafe!" I said out loud.
"yup this is it," said Sharla. I was very nervous entering just then my sister hugged me and said "Don't worry little brother sorry sister you look perfect if anything happens I am here for you. All the best!"
"Thank you, sis!" getting a little teary-eyed I entered inside.
The cafe was yet to be opened as the was early in the morning. I saw one girl setting and cleaning the tables and the other girl was at the counter arranging things there. The one cleaning the table noticed me first and said "Miss, how may I help you?" I read her badge her name was Kate (She was in her early 20s brown chest-length hair with gorgeous bangs which framed her face perfectly.)
"I am here for my interview," I said. "Ahh, Sophie I presume for the assistant position, through here." said the girl. She guided me to the door of a small office cum meeting room where the name tag on the door said 'SUSAN PARK'. I saw a woman sitting there in the middle to whom I said "Good morning Ma'am I am here for my Interview."
The woman looked up and said, "Good morning to you too honey, please sit down I was expecting you."

To Be CONTINUED...

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos