Childhood Friends

Printer-friendly version

{NOTE: Images and links are used only as the reference to the character in the story}

Chapter 1: Return to Home.

It's been 3 years since I saw my hometown. I was very happy as I was returning home in a long while. I was in my Final Year of B.E (Engineering) in Pune (City in India) When Covid hit the whole country and Lockdown was imposed on the whole country. I was stuck in there. I haven't seen my Mom and Sister in person for the past 3 years I missed them so much. I used to return home whenever I used to get summer or Diwali holidays but during my last 2 years of graduation, my mother told me to not return and study for final year exams. Then Lockdown happened and I was stuck there for 1 more year.

I wanted to surprise my family so I returned 2 days earlier than they were expecting me. It was 8:30 in the morning when I reached my station. I got off the train and was waiting for the bus to arrive. I noticed the place was quieter than usual due to the covid I suppose.

The Bus arrived in 10 min. I got the ticket and sat on the seat by the window and kept my bag on the other seat. It takes 30 to 40 min to reach the stop near my home so to pass the time I wore the earphones played the song and closed my eyes thinking about my family.

About 5 min or so I felt a tap on my shoulder so I opened my eyes and saw a woman standing she was trying to say something so I took the earphones out of my ears and said...

Me: Yes miss what happened?

Woman: Can I sit here, please?

Me: Ohh sorry, please sit.

I adjusted my braid and took the bag and placed it on my legs.

Woman: Thank you for letting me sit and by the way you have very beautiful hair, miss.

Me: Thank You so much. The bus got full quite quickly.

Woman: Yeah due to covid most of the working time was shifted that's why there are a lot of people. I too am one of them. Ohh sorry, I haven't Introduced myself I am Shikha, and you?

Me: My name is Ankit.

Shikha: Wait Ankit...(her jaw dropped) YOU ARE A BOY! I am so sorry I thought you were a girl I am very-very sorry.

Me: Ohh it's ok I am used to it. I get mistaken a lot as a girl.

Shikha: Yeah I mean look at your braid It is so thick shiny and it's so long. Your hair must be at least till your thigh or knees I presume. If not for your clothes and name anyone would have thought you were a girl. You don't even have a hint of facial hair and I haven't seen a boy with this long hair in my whole life.

Me: I guess the credit goes to my mom's genes and I didn't want them this long but due to lockdown I wasn't able to get a trim.

Before covid lockdown hit a year ago I already had my hair till my hips but they have grown way longer. (Little longer than thigh length I think.) and I never had much facial hair anyway so I always kept my face clean.

Shikha: I don't think it is only because of genes. You must have taken care of them to look like this. Right?

Me: How did you know...?

Shikha: I am a girl I can tell these things.

Me: Ahh right!

Shikha: I mean look at how you do and handle your long braid. There isn't a single hair out of place. You must have to brush them daily to get them like that.

Me: Damn you can tell that just by looking at my braid. You a hair expert or what! (mockingly)

Shikha: (smilingly) something like that. Still, you got fabulous hair and it even suits your face. Don't ever cut them short. Well, my stop is here got to go and nice meeting you Ankit.

Me: Again, thank you, & if I wanted short hair, I wouldn't have grown them this long.

Shikha: Haha right I guess we will eventually meet again till then Bye.

Me: Bye has a nice day.

And she is gone. I never expected to meet someone like that on a bus. Still, I enjoyed my talk with her. Guess I will be able to meet her if she works close by. After 5 min the bus arrived at my spot. I got out.

It was 5 min walk from the bus stop to home. I was excited to surprise my family. I reached my home and was both excited and scared about how will they react when they see me. I rang the bell.
I heard Mom saying "It must be the milkman he is late again Neha go open the door." I heard the footsteps.

The door opened.
When she looked at me she was shocked and first asked me to come inside. As soon as I came inside and put my bag down. Sis quickly came near and hugged me and said...

Neha: Ohh little brother I missed You so much! (cryingly)

Me: I missed you too sis. I missed you so much.

Neha: I almost didn't recognize you. You look so different.

Then she felt my braid and said...

44777162_439463599791974_7461514114880241664_n.jpg

Neha: Wait are you wearing a braid just how long...

She took my braid in her hand brought it in the front and rested it on my shoulder. Then she took a step back to take a good look at me.
When she saw it she said...

(She had her Jaw down)
Neha: Oh My GOD!! It's beautiful but soooo Long!

Me: I know!

Neha: Your hair is till your thighs no almost till your knees. You never told me about this on your phone.

Mom: Neha what is taking you so long?

Neha: Look Mom who is back.

Mom: Who?

As soon as I saw her I ran to her and hugged her.

Me: I missed you, Mom!

Mom: I missed you to son. You came earlier than expected...

Neha: Yeah you are two days earlier.

Me: I wanted to surprise you guys.

Mom: I see and WOW! Looks like someone taking too much care of their hair.

Me: Yeah, I know it's Very Long.

Mom: "Very Long" Son your hair is longer than both of us combined.

(Mom has hair a little longer than shoulder length and Sis has them till their mid-back.)

Mom: And it's not only long they are very well maintained.

Neha: Yeah mom I said so too. His hair looks like from the girls in shampoo ads.

Me: I'll take that as a compliment.

Both of them smiled.

Mom: Well Enough talk first let him freshen up. Neha go help him take his bag to his room I'll go turn on the geyser.

Neha: Ok Mom Let's go Ankit.

I followed her to the room. She opened the door and turned out the and said...

Me: It Looks still the same and cleaned too.

Neha: Mom and I regularly clean your room.

Me: Thanks for that.

Neha: Thanks, will not suffice I need a treat for that.

Me: yeah-yeah.

Then she left. I looked around a bit then sat down thinking about the memories around the room.

Mom: The water is ready Ankit.

Me: I am coming.

I took my clothes and went to the bathroom. On the way, my Mom handed me an extra towel for the hair. Now it takes me around 30 to 35 min to bathe if I wash my hair. I came out of the bathroom patting my hair dry with the help of a towel.

Mom: Ankit first eat your breakfast then come to my room I'll help you with your hair.

Me: Ok mom.

I quickly ate my breakfast and went to her room she saw me and told me to sit at the table. Then she started drying my hair with a hairdryer. After drying she started brushing my hair.

Mom: I know you've been growing your hair since 12th std. How many years has it been 4-5.?

Me: 5 and half years.

Mom: Yeah, but I was very surprised when I saw your hair today. I never thought you will grow them this long. Even girl's nowadays don't grow them this long. You never told me.

Me: I know, I am sorry I didn't tell you about this. Even I didn't know they will grow this long and due to lockdown, every Salon was closed.

Mom: It's ok I will take this as my second surprise. Don't get me wrong but you have very beautiful hair, you have maintained them very well and long hair suits you better than short hair anyway.

Me: Thank you so much, Mom!

5364338477_1492aa5faa_o.jpg

Mom: Done! Now, how you want to tie them?

Me: I'll let you decide.

Mom: Ok then close your eyes.

Me: Ok.

I closed my eyes and she started doing her work.

Me: I missed this you know.

Mom: Yeah, me too! When was the last time I did your hair like this?

Me: I think That was 3 years ago during Diwali Holidays.

Mom: Ohh yes! That was so much fun. You remember you were soo angry when Neha put on some makeup on you when you were asleep.

(I feel she divided my hair into two parts and I felt the comb on the top of my head as she was parting the hair.)

Me: Yeah I remember it clearly because I didn't even notice she did that and I went out to the market like that.

Mom: I still remember your face when you returned home.

Me: You very laughing so much when I told you about that.

Then I felt a stretch on one side and I somewhat guessed what she doing but I still kept quiet about that.

Mom: Haha I know.

After some time I felt the stretch on another side.

Mom: And It's done.

I opened my eyes and saw myself in the mirror.

6453592989_4363b60f38_o.jpg

Me: TWIN BRAIDS! (I already guessed it.)

Mom: Yeah! It sure took a good time. I guess due to the length.

Me: They Look Fabulous. You are best when it comes to braids.

Mom: (Smiling.) Thank you. I Think braids look better in longer hair like yours. Do you want to fold them?

Me: No let it be. This looks way better.

Mom: I agree! Ok Now go your sister must also be waiting to talk with you.

I went to the hall. Where my sister was sitting.

Neha: Great hair Sis!

Me: You haven't changed have you?

Neha: No sis.

Me: You...( I started Tickling her )

And like that, the whole day passed and it was night. We were all having a family talk.

Mom: How did you maintain this long hair in college. That too this good-looking. It must have been hard.

Neha: Yeah I wanted to ask that too!

Me: Yeah It was hard but I had help from a friend in college. If she hadn't helped me I wouldn't have hair this long.

Neha: Who is She? (grinning)

Me: Just a close friend.

Mom: She must be really good to help you like this.

Me: Yeah.

Mom: Speaking of close friends. Remember Shalini?

Me: Yeah how could I forgot.

Mom: She is back in town.

Me: WHAT?

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Firsties!

First vote and comment, nice start, let's see where you go from here.

Thanks.

Tomi's picture

Glad you liked it!!

Not long enough

I want to hear more of Ankit's adventures. Where will his love life go?
Fun story.

>>> Kay

Thanks!

Tomi's picture

You got to wait to find that out in 4b48c7a823960247aea3d84c0f331d57.jpeg

Fun start.

crash's picture

This is a fun start to a story, I'm looking forward to your next post. I'm fascinated by the idea of stories set in India written by someone familiar with the culture. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Your friend
Crash