Her Maid wore black -chapter 3

Printer-friendly version


Her Maid wore black.

Be careful of wanting revenge. There is an old saying ‘Never raise more demons than you can put down.’ For Constable Cyrille Phantomhive, last descendant of the legendary Earl Ciel Phantomhive, this was one warning he should have paid better attention to. If he had, he might not have ended up traveling 132 years into the past. Life as a Lady in Victorian England is not for the faint of heart.

I have often wondered what would happen if Ciel Phantomhive and his demon butler Sebastian Michaelis had female counterparts.


Chapter 3
North Bank of the River Thames, London, England: Saturday 3 September 1888: 8:40am

Countess Cecilia Phantomhive stood looking down at the naked body stretched out on the North Bank of the Thames in disgust. The woman couldn’t be older than 17 or 18. She had her chest ripped open and her heart removed. She knew the work as well as the day she had first seen it. This was the same work as the cult’s in the future. The signs were all there to see. Even Savanah was surprised by the brazen display. “I must say Mistress. These people show no sophistication at all.”

“Trust me Savanah the people behind this murder have absolutely no regard for common civility.” Cecilia whispered. “They only want power.”

“Power that’ll be forever out of their reach thanks to a certain Countess.” Savanah chuckled softly as she stepped closer behind her mistress. “Though I do wonder at one minor detail. I should have felt the ceremony. The draw of the magic. Yet I felt nothing. No draw, no release. Nothing.”

“I have a theory along those lines Savanah.” Cecilia looked around the crime scene to make sure that no one would overhear her. “Do you remember that large purple crystal at the ceremony that bond me to you?”

“You mean the Source Crystal. They’re not that rare yet they are very powerful.” Savanah answered as she nodded her head. “They’re mostly used for the storage of mystical power until released all at once.”

“Say in the ceremony for summoning a Demon Prince or Devil King.” Cecilia asked of her maid disguised demon companion. “Maybe a Demon Princess?”

“There are times when the Royalty get more credit than they deserve. Then there are the times when they get overlooked as the proper villains they truly are. Such a shame really.” Savanah sniffed airily. At Cecilia’s look of confusion Savanah sighed. “Humans place far too much on the idea of power, True Power, being inherit.”

Cecilia looked down at the ring on her left hand. The ring in question was an ornate silver piece that held an emerald-cut deep-blood-red ruby. It was more than just a family heirloom. It was the sign of her office for the Queen. It marked her as the Queen’s Alleycat. It also gave the truth to Savanah’s comment.

“Be that as it may Savanah. We still have a job to do. The first of which is simple. We must find out where this young woman was killed.” Cecilia grunted only to have the Constable give her a strange look. Cecilia could tell that she needed to explain her reasoning. “This body was placed here for us to find Constable Hall.”

“An’ ‘ow d’ ya’ figure tha’ ma’ Lady?” Hall asked her. The man’s thick Cockney accent had Cecilia winching as it grated on her nerves. She never thought that she would appreciate would be her lessons in pronunciation in school.

“The amount of blood. There is not enough. If this woman had her heart cutout here. There would be a massive pool of blood covering the ground. As it did not rain last night, and no one washed it away. Where is the blood pool?” Cecilia asked. Then placed both of her hands, on top of her cane. “No, this body was placed here for you find. It as act to inspire terror among the masses.”

“Ya’ thin’ t’is wanker wan’s ta be bigger than Ol’ Jack then?” Hall asked her.

“No. I doubt that he wants to be bigger than Jack the Ripper. He wants to terrorize London in a way that Jack can only dream of. This criminal is wants to be something that can only be seen in nightmares.” Cecilia told the man. She knelt down next to the body by the feet. Looking at the gray soot on her feet Cecilia got a strange look on her face. “That is not normal coal soot or ash.”

“Ya’r right abo’t tha’ ma’ Lady. Tha’ is peatmoss soot.” At Cecilia’s look of confusion Hall grinned. “Some o’ the local flop houses use peat to heat wit’. It’s cheaper than using coal.”

“Who else would use peatmoss Constable?” Cecilia asked quickly.

“Well, there is a long list of uses for peatmoss, ma’ Lady. One of the biggest users of peatmoss are whiskey distilleries. Though within the city limits I would look to the older churches and synagogues. After that I would look towards the waterfront warehouses.” Chief Inspector Smith said as he walked up to the crime scene. “Lady Cecilia, I’m surprised to see you out and about this early.”

“I’m a very early raiser, Chief Inspector. One of the nice things about being an early raiser is getting to see the city in it’s glory before the day strips away its beauty.” Cecilia snarked then looked down at the naked body of the girl as she stood up. “Though there are certain parts of the night that tend to hang over into the morning spoiling that beauty. First of which is murder most foul.”

“Indeed. My I have a word alone with her Ladyship, Constable?” Smith asked Hall. The Constable just nodded his head and left the two woman and his boss alone. In hushed tones Smith asked. “My lady is this crime related to the mummies?”

“It is, Inspector. Though this time we have clue as to where she was murdered. The first one in these ghastly crimes. We just need to find which furnace was burning peatmoss last night.” Cecilia told him honestly. “There cannot be too many. After all last night was not that cold.”

“There are more than you would think Lady Cecilia. Lately the number of peat burners has grown thanks the raising cost of coal. Mostly among the dockside warehouses.” The more Smith talked about the use of peatmoss among the more industrial buildings the more Cecilia frowned in thought. “What are you thinking about Lady Cecilia?”

“Which churches and synagogues would be using peatmoss, Inspector?” Cecilia asked.

“Why would we look to holy places?” Smith asked in shock.

“Because whoever did this. Want’s to desecrate those places.” She said while pointing down at the body. “Remember our talk yesterday. This is just the beginning of their grab for power.”

“I’ll have my men search all the churches near here. Then work their way outward.” Smith told her and turned to hand out his instructions.

“Inspector have them concentrate their search on the basement areas.” Cecilia told the Inspector. Only to get a frown of confusion. “They would need to perform their little ceremony away from preying eyes.”

Before he could give her his answer a Constable from the local Station House ran up to him. “Sir. I think you need to come with me. There is something you need to see at Saint Agnes Holy Roman Church.”

When Cecilia heard this, she quickly turned to the ever-present Savanah. “We need to get to this church now.”

“I’ll fetch the carriage Mistress.” Savanah said and disappeared.

“Inspector if you’ll come with me. You can ride with me in the household carriage.” Cecilia offered the Inspector as a way to get inside the church crime scene. A short time later Cecilia, Savanah, and Inspector Smith stepped down from the Phantomhive carriage in front of the Saint Agnes Holy Roman Church.

“Thank you for the ride, Lady Cecilia. Though I wish that this were one ride that I did not need.” Smith said as he looked up at the 200-year-old church. “What I still don’t understand is what these people hope to gain? It has to be more than power. There must be some underlying need behind all this.”

“It is as I said yesterday, Inspector. These people believe they are saving the Empire. They’ll do whatever it takes.” Cecilia sighed sadly then turned to face the doors of the church. “They’re willing to sacrifice an entire city to insure that.”

“Countess Cecilia, I have to ask. Is all this mumbo jumbo real?” Smith asked her quietly so that no one else would hear.

“Yes, Inspector. It is all very real.” Cecilia told the man next to her. “It is also extremely dangerous in the hands of the uninformed.”

“And you’re the one who has been charged with handling such matters for the Queen.” Smith grunted as he looked over at the young woman beside him. “You’ll have to forgive me, my Lady. I do not envy the tasks you and your cousin are charged with.”

“That is the curse of the Phantomhive family. We have always acted as Her Majesty’s Watchdog and Alleycat. We do what the Constabulary cannot. All so the people of Her Empire can sleep soundly at in their beds.” Cecilia told him as she started up the steps to the church doors. “The world you have been drawn into is not one for the faint of heart or weak of faith, Inspector.”

“After what I saw within the museum and down at the park Lady Cecilia. I believe you have just made the understate of the year.” Smith said as he held the door for the Lady and her Maid. As the two young women stepped through the door Savanah gave an involuntary shutter. “Are you alright Ms. Savanah?”

“Thank you kindly, Inspector but there’s no need to worry about me. I’ll be fine.” Savanah told the man with a sickly-sweet smile.

“If you’ll wait here Ladies. I’ll find out where we need to go.” Smith said as he gave Savanah the once over one more time. “Are you sure you’re okay Ms. Savanah?”

“Very much so, Inspector. Please see about our business sir.” Savanah gestured with her right hand as she gave a short curtsy. Cecilia wanted to laugh at the way her Maid played the Inspector.

“Savanah are you sure that you’re going to be alright?” Cecilia asked of her one true Protector. She has reason to worry. After all Savanah was a demon.

“Do you know the deference between angles and demons Mistress? I’ll give you a hint it has night to do with the concepts of good and evil. After all we were both created by the same God.” At Cecilia’s blank expression Savanah chuckled. “There is none. Angles are the flip side of demons. Only demons fell out of favor with the gods. We both have the blood of innocence’s on our hands in the name of the Gods. That blood is the price angles and demons pay to enter such holy places as this.”

“I never really thought of it that way. I guess I lost my faith in a merciful god on the battlefield.” Cecilia chuckled as she looked up at the stained-glass window of Saint Agnes. “Then again the Almighty did give his angles weapons. Even God knew that you don’t fight evil with tolerance and understanding.”

Savanah chuckled at Cecilia’s comment about angles and weapons. “Very true Mistress. Though what is one man’s evil is another man’s faith.”

Cecilia just snorted. “Good and evil are nothing more than the constructs of humans. Is that what you’re saying Savanah?”

“No Mistress. There is true evil and true good in the world. My brother and I are examples of what humans consider true evil. Angles are examples of what humans would consider true good. The fact of the matter couldn’t be further from the truth. Angles are just as self-serving and egotistical as demons. The only real deference between demons and angles is our final motivation. Demons want human souls to feed upon and torment in hell. Angles say they want to save human souls for heavenly reward.” Savanah chuckled then grinned nastily as she whispered. “Something neither of us shall ever see, my Lady.”

“I would gladly forbear any heavenly reward for my vengeance.” Cecilia snarled just before Inspector Smith returned. “We’ll continue this talk later. Here comes Smith.”

“Lady Cecilia if you’ll fallow me.” Smith asked as he waved towards the back of the church. As Cecilia and Savanah joined him. “Lady Cecilia you were right.”

“About?” Cecilia asked him.

“The murder took placed in the basement. Though there are some, I don’t know how to explain what I saw down there.” Smith shivered as he thought about the scene bellow the church. “I’ve seen some insane things in my carrier, my Lady. What I saw down there defies all logic.”

“I understand. Don’t worry Inspector. I have seen that which is impossible to understand before while in India. Please lead on?” Cecilia asked of the man. She could tell that whatever was waiting for them bellow unsettled him greatly.

As the trio entered the basement Cecilia spotted another Constable standing over by a second and stairway leading further down. After a second set of stairs, they finally reached a candlelit stone chamber. Cecilia’s eyes were drawn to the center of the chamber. There stood a marble sarcophagus. Cecilia could tell that is was more than 300yrs old. “Where is the Priest for this Church?”

“He’s upstairs. Why?” Smith asked in confusion.

“I need to know exactly when this church was built. I also need to know if there was another structure here before the church.” Cecilia explained for him.

“This church was built in the mid-twelfth century on the site of an abandoned Roman temple.” One of the Constables in the room answered. At Cecilia’s questioning look he blushed. “I’m member of the Congregation here, ma’am.”

“Thank you, Constable. Anything else you can tell me about this church?” Cecilia asked with no amount of the irritation she felt.

“During the first, second, third, Crusades the old temple was used a rally point for knights heading for the Holy Land. It was also one of the first places that the returning knights came to once back in England. Down in the catacombs there are supposed to be another thirty to forty of these sarcophaguses. Nobody knows because if want you go any lower, you’ll need to breath underwater.” The Constable chuckled.

“I see. All of the lower levels are flooded.” Cecilia looked over at Smith. “Inspector the other murder sites. Were there lower levels that were inaccessible as well? Please this is very important.”

“Only one of the other murder sites had a lower level now that I of it.” Smith told her thinking hard about the second site. “Yes, ma’am. It was also flooded.”

“It is a I thought.” Cecilia turned to Savanah. “The failures of the ceremony was because they couldn’t get to the lowest points of each site.”

“That has to be why they need the Source Crystal. They knew that they couldn’t reach the lowest points for all the sacrificial sites. They’re storing the gathered power of the rituals until they can release it all at once.” Savanah sighed in explanation. Savanah stepped over to examen the summoning circle carved around the sarcophagus. “My Lady, this circle is deferent from the others. They’ve made changes to the summoning sigil. This one is for the Demon Prince Bozroman.”

“Why would they make that change I wonder?” Cecilia asked aloud.

“Could there be two sects with this cult of the Chosen Ones of Eternal Doom?” Smith put forth with real thought. “Because if there is, they could be working towards sperate goals. One sect wanting to change history the other wanting to hasten the downfall of our enemies perhaps.”

“You could be on the right track Inspector.” Savanah answered honestly. “Bozroman is called the Demon Prince of Destruction.”

“They also could be trying to raise both.” Cecilia pointed out coldly. “One specifically to destroy the enemies of the Empire. The other to change the course of history and time. These criminals have but one goal.”

“What would that be Lady Cecilia?” Inspector Smith asked in confusion.

“The total subjection of our Empire.” Cecilia answered. “These men want more than just power. They desire to place themselves above even our Queen.”

“Do you believe you can stop them Lady Cecilia?” Smith asked with worry.

“I don’t have a choice, Inspector. I either stop them or die trying.” Cecilia turned and walked away. “Our work here is done Savanah.”

As the two women left Savanah sniffed the air then frowned. “We have company, my Lady. They’re waiting for us just beyond the next side street.”

“Then let us not keep them waiting, Savanah. Any sign of our real quarry?” Cecilia asked as she opened her jacket.

“Just one. Wilton Mitchell the criminal master mind and boss for Edinburgh crime syndicate. He has seven of his top lieutenants with him.” Savanah said with a nasty grin. “This should be quite fun my Lady.”

“Indeed.” Cecilia snorted. Then grinned just as nastily. With this in mind she led Savanah into the alley. She pulled the pistol before she took three steps and fired at the first man to step into view. She hit man in the upper left shoulder. She adjusted her stance and hold on the pistol before firing again. This time she dropped her intended target with a shot through the head.

Savanah wasn’t standing around as her Mistress dispatched the first two henchmen. She sped pass her and into the heart of the group killing two henchmen in her passing. She grabbed Wilton Mitchell by the throat. She lifted him off the ground and squeezed. “You know you really should easy off the cologne. I smelled your foal stench as we exited the church.”

Cecilia fired once more killing the remaining henchman. She returned her pistol to its holster. “Savanah please be nice enough to not kill Mitchell just yet.”

“Of course, my Lady. I am merely trying to get this fool’s undivided attention.” Savanah answered sweetly as she dropped Mitchell face first in the muddy street. With slow and deliberate steps, she moved to stand just behind her. “I do hope you plan to listen to my Lady, Mister Mitchell.”

Mitchell slowly pushed himself off the street. As he did, Mitchell took in the state of his lieutenants. He was shocked to realize that of the seven men had brought with him only one was still alive. Even that one man was in no shape to put up a fight. Not with a hole big enough to put a fist through in his shoulder. “You’re more than you seem Alleycat. I have to ask. Do you really believe you can stop us? You have no allies. You have resources. No one to call on except that maid. Not even your cousin can help you.”

“You poor diluted fool.” Cecilia sighed as she reached up and lifted her eye patch. Seeing Cecilia show the sign of their contract Savanah removed her left glove. “This is the sign of my contract with the one you would summon.”

“A contract formed from a wish, a desire, paid for with blood, bone, and flesh. As surely as it binds me to her wishes, it binds her to me. At her command I would happily slit your throat.” Savanah told Mitchell with a sadistic smile. “Though I believe she has a few questions for you.”

“You’ll get nothing from me whores, but your deaths.” Mitchell snarled as he pull a revolver from his jacket and fired nonstop until the last round. As the smoke cleared, he started chuckling. “Not even you Phantomhive scum can stand up to high powered lead rounds. See you in hell bitch.”

“You know you really should be more careful of where you point that pistol when you fire it.” Savanah whispered in his ear. Then she dropped the six fired rounds into his shirt pocket. “Oh, I believe these belong to. Caliber three-fifty-seven magnum long Welby if I’m not mistaken. Here let me take that nasty thing off your hands.”

As Mitchel’s mind caught up with what just happen, I felt an unbarring pain in his right arm. He looked down at his hand and forearm to find them both bent at an odd angel. The scream that ripped from his throat was ear piercing. As Mitchell fell to his knees in pain Cecilia slowly drew the sword from her cane.

“You know something Mitchell I should turn you over to my cousin. After all you do fall under his duties. He is after all the Queen’s Watchdog.” With each word she drew closer and closer to the kneeling man. “But my Maid is correct. You have information that I need. Ciel would just kill you and be done with the whole matter. However, if you answer my questions. I may just let you live.”

“Ask your questions. I’ll tell you what you want know. Just kept that crazy bitch away from me.” Mitchell whimpered as he crawled backwards to the wall behind him.

“First, tell the names for the rest of the members in your little club. Second, what demon are you trying to raise. Lastly, why would you do something so foolish.” Cecilia snarled as she place the tip of her sword to his chin.

“It won’t do you any good. So, I’ll tell you anyway. Lord Ward Butler Current Duke of Edinburgh. Steel magnet and millionaire Sumner Stone. Gerard Read Northwestern coal mines owner. Lady Bernice Hand shipping tycoon and arms smuggler. Lastly is Ruel Magrath owner of Federated arms manufacturer. As for the demon we want to raise there are two, the Demon Prince Bozroman and our demon Lord and master Thorgonnoth, Demon Prince of the Eternal Doom. As for our reasons they are not foolish. We would save our Empire from the decadent influences from the rest of the world by making them our rightful subjects. Starting with those filthy frogs across the channel. Those French pigs have been a thorn in our nation’s side for too long.” Mitchell hissed between clenched teeth.

“You would throw the world into a global war just to erase some perceived insult and threat.” Cecilia sighed and flipped the tip of her sword upward. Cutting open Mitchell’s chin and returned her blade’s point to Mitchell’s Adam’s apple. “It may be better that I am the one to deal with you and your ilk, Mitchell. Because my cousin would be far too lenient with you.”

“Wha… wha… do you mean? What global war? We only have to destroy the French.” Mitchell stammered out. “Once we do that the rest of the world will bow before us.”

“No, Mitchell they won’t.” Cecilia sighed. “The Germans, Dutch, Austrians, will all raise up against us. They MIGHT dislike the French, but they HATE us. Those countries will come to the aid of the French for no other reason than to put us down. The Canadians would use that chance to break away from our Empire. I won’t even talk about those bastard colonists the Americans would do to us.”

“You talk as if you can see the future child. The problem is you couldn’t be further from the truth. The rest of the continent will go out of their way to let the Frogs fall to our wrath. As for those foolish colonials. They’re nothing more than hedge-creepers and meaters. They would peg for us to take them back.” Mitchel huffed.

“For a criminal mastermind you really are stupid.” Cecilia sighed and shook her head. “You have no idea of the sheer madness that will envelope the world if you and your pathetic friends are not stopped.”

“What do you mean?” The note of sadness in Cecilia’s voice grabbed at Mitchell’s soul. There was something about it that made him wonder at her reasoning. “What do you know that we do not, Alleycat? You speak as if you come from another time.”

“Because I do. One far into the future, Mitchell.” Cecilia sighed as she pushed her sword through the man’s neck. As she stood over the man watching the life drain from his eyes Cecilia gave him one last piece of advice. “It’s better that you and all your kind now. In this era of history. When you still cannot fathom the true horrors that are to come in just a few short decades.”

Pulling a rose red linen handkerchief from her cloak pocket Savanah whipped down Cecilia’s blade. “You showed him far too much mercy, my Lady. You should have made him pay for his foolishness. You have no hope of mercy or heavenly reward for yourself. Why would you show any for our enemy?”

“Because I’m still human you damned demon.” Cecilia snarled as she returned her sword to hiding place inside of her cane. “You will feast heavily on my soul when the time comes while savoring each bite as it were a decadent sweet from the greatest of chocolate factories in all the world. That I promise you, bitch.”

“Oh, I have no doubt of that, my Lady. I just wonder at why you gave Mitchell such a clean and quick death?” Savanah asked as she fell in behind Cecilia as she turned to leave the alleyway.

“Mitchell was nothing more than pond scum. He was undeserving of my vengeance, only my pity. He was in truth nothing more than a dupe in Lord Butler’s plan. Much needed muscle for acquiring the needed sacrifices.” Cecilia snarled as she stepped back into the morning light of London. She sighed and looked around. “Such a beautiful day turned gloomy in so short a time. Let’s go home Savanah. I need a bath.”

“Of course, my Lady. Wait here while I fetch the carriage.” Savanah said before disappearing with blinding speed.

“I really must have a talk her about showing such supernatural talents in public.” Cecilia sighed as she adjusted her eyepatch. A habit she was rapidly developing whenever she was upset or nervous. “At least now I have the names of my enemies.”

“Ah, but why would such a lovely creature have enemies?” The voice was refined yet had a slight Chinese accent. Cecilia knew the voice and the man to which it belonged. “Though I must admit to having a problem with you young lady. You killed one of my business associates. Do you have any idea of the cost your actions are going to cost me? It’ll take me months to replace Mitchell.”

“I could care less, Lau. As far as I’m concerned you could go bankrupted and starve before I give a shit about you and your operations.” Cecilia snarled as she turned to face the Chinese Nobleman. “In my eyes Lau you are nothing more than unprincipled mercenary. You do nothing more than curry favor with those you think will allow you and your business to advance. Namely those who are ambitious, such as my cousin. You will find in me a foe that has little tolerance for back alley scum like you. Even if you ingratiated yourself within Scotland Yard, despite your mafia origins, I know you only do so long as you could profit.”

“You wound me, Madam. Though just who is your cousin that you believe you can be so carefree with slaying one of my men?” Lau asked fearfully of the beautiful young English noblewoman as he finally got a good look at her face.

“You know damned well who my cousin is you slug. I suggest that you be about your business and leave me to mine.” Cecilia huffed then gave the confusion Chinaman a sigh of frustration. “But by the look on your face you have no idea of who my cousin is. Let me enlighten you. Earl Ceil Phantomhive. I am the Countess Cecilia Phantomhive. Now move on Lau.”

“Oh my dear Countess Phantomhive please forgive me.” Lau said as he bowed over her left to give it a kiss. “I failed most brazenly in seeing the family resemblances. You really must allow me to make amends for my mistake.”

The more Lau held her gloved hand the more Cecilia felt like she needed a bath. “Let go of my hand Lau or you’ll pull back a stump.”

“But my Lady I must insist that you allow me to make up for my mistake.” Lau persisted as he started to pull her towards his own destination. He was so insistent on getting her to fallow him somewhere she didn’t want to go that Lau never saw her draw the Colt pistol until it was too late.

“Let go of my hand you wharf rat. Before I blow your head off.” Cecilia snarled as she cocked the hammer back on her pistol. “Ceil may have uses and have to tolerate you but I don’t have too. NOW!”

“Of course, Countess. If you should find yourself in need while in the Eastend. Please seek me out.” Lau showed an uncommon amount of self-preservation as he dropped the Noblewoman’s hand and slowly backed away. “Until I bide you good-day.”

“Disgusting pig. I believe that I need to have word with Ceil. That man is getting too full of himself for his own damned good. On second thought I think I’ll have Savanah pay him a visit instead.” As Lau slinked off into the surround city populace Cecilia shivered. Looking in the direction Lau had gone Cecilia snarled. “A midnight visit where he loses his damn lips.”

At the time Savanah returned with the estate carriage. Cecilia pulled her gloves off her hands as she mounted handing them to her Maid. “Burn these and replace them by tomorrow morning, Savanah. Take us home. I really need a bath now. I feel as if just swam through the lowest reaches of the London sewer system.”

“Did something happen whilst I was retrieving the carriage my Lady?” Savanah asked with a small curtsy. Wondering why she didn’t feel the threat through their link.

“I ran into that slug Lau.” Cecilia snarled. “I really must have a talk with Ceil.”

“Allow me to handle the problem Mistress.” Savanah snarled. “I will be more than happy to teach the man his proper place. Not to mention the needed manners when dealing with a young Lady of breeding.”

“Not at this time Savanah. Sadly, that pig Lau falls under my cousin’s protection. Because of this I need to let him deal with man first.” Cecilia sighed as she sat back watching the city roll by her window. “Though next you can just go ahead and scalp him. Starting at his neck.”

Savanah gave a delighted chuckled at hearing how her Mistress reacted to Lua’s advances. She could still see the fisty hardheaded young man she first meet in that base of Futuristic Demons Dance Club. The fire of revenge burned brighter than ever before in the young woman that sat across from her. As she sat there studying the young woman Savanah kept her thoughts to herself.

‘Yes, dear brother you were so right. Why did I never see this before. When the time is right, and I finally pluck this soul. I will feast upon something truly magnificent. I shall never again blindly feed upon a soul that presents itself me. From now I shall foster a soul to its full potential before devouring.’ Savanah had to hide her smile of satisfaction behind her hand. She did not need Cecilia seeing how much she was looking forward to the day of her revenge and death.

Savanah looked down at the gloves that Cecilia had handed her and smirked. ‘Lau I’ll have to thankyou once I get the chance. Your inadvertent sexualized innuendos has fanned the smoldering flames of my Mistress’s revenge into a rage inferno. How delightful. I wonder what would happen if she should face a true sexual deviant?’

While Savanah wondered how she could torment her Mistress with fun filled sexual situations Cecilia was occupied with darker thoughts. Thoughts that filled her with more than just dread. When she was a man her pastime had always been the study of history. One of her favorite times for study was the Great War and the impact it had had on every family within the United Kingdom along with all of Europe. She knew that the First World War could not be avoided, but there was no reason for it to happen ahead of time. She could see the ramifications of a World War happening in the later part of the 19th century. The death toll would be two to three times higher and the amount of casualties even higher than that.

“The Americans lost six-hundred-and-twenty-thousand just a few decades ago in the Civil War. Then just under fifty-years later World War One happens. It was one of the deadliest conflicts in the history of our race. Over sixteen-million people died in those four years of senseless conflict. The total number of both civilian and military casualties is estimated at around thirty-seven-million people. That damned war killed almost seven million civilians and ten million military personnel.” Cecilia mumbled to herself.

“More than seventy-million military personnel, including sixty-million Europeans, were mobilized making it one of the largest wars in history. It is also one of the deadliest conflicts in our history. With an estimated nine-million combatant deaths and thirteen-million civilian deaths as a direct result of the war. The resulting genocides and the related 1918 Spanish flu pandemic caused another seventeen to one hundred–million deaths worldwide. Not including an estimated the two-point-six-eight million Spanish flu deaths in Europe and as many as six-hundred-seventy-five-thousand Spanish flu deaths in the United States.” Cecilia continued to mumble to no one in particular.

“All because of one man’s twisted ideals. Then again the Second World War happened for much the same reason.” Cecilia let out a heavy put-upon sigh of anger and frustration. Slamming her first into the seat next her Cecilia growled. “I’ll be damned if I’ll let someone start that kind of war in my lifetime. Not if I can help it. For some reason I do believe that I can.”

“Do not worry, Mistress. The Great War will happen when it is supposed to happen. Not a moment sooner. If I may point something out.” Savanah asked politely with a knowing smirk and nasty glint in her eyes. At Cecilia’s nod Savanah chuckled. “The timeline as your scientists are so fond of calling history is fixed. Despite what the so-called theorists of your day would say. There is only one power in the universe that can even attempt to make that radical change to the timeline. The God of Time, Chronos. And even he would have problems making that grand of change.”

“I thought that the Demon Thorgonnoth, could make that kind of a change.” Cecilia pointed out in confusion.

“He can, but only if a large enough sacrifice could be made in his name.” Savanah pointed out then turned thoughtful. “This World War you talked about. How many people did you say died in combat?”

“They say the total number of both civilian and military casualties is estimated at around thirty-seven-million people. Though that was not all at once. It was over a four-year period. Why?” Cecilia asked.

“If the Cult could place Source Crystals at certain points around the battlefield. They would be able to absorb all of those lost souls. With that much power concentrated in one place. These Chosen Ones of Eternal Doom really could use the demon Thorgonnoth change the future timeline. No matter what the God Chronos wanted. They could change it to the point that you would never have been born.” Savanah explained for her mistress while deep in thought.

“Oh shit! Savanah what are the chances of another individual from the future traveling back through time the way I did?” Cecilia asked in fear.

“To be honest, my Lady. Too good. I wouldn’t put it pass one of our suspects as being a spiritual time traveler.” Savanah answered bluntly. “The problem is which one. We have a total of five.”

“Let’s break them down by what we know about them. First there is Lord Ward Butler the current Duke of Edinburgh. The man is in his late sixties. Could someone that old be our time traveler?” Cecilia asked with the mind of a profiler.

“No. He is too old. He would have had to start his plan in his teens. Just as you have started your hunt for revenge.” Savanah answered honestly. “There is also the fact that he is always alone. No demon would allow such a tasty treat to wonder far. It would also take a demon of station.”

“Fine. Then what about this Lady Bernice Hand? Do we know anything about her?” Cecilia asked of her maid.

“I fear that any further speculation of the other members will result in nothing more than empty theories, my Lady. Allow me to gather what public information there is on these other four. Then we can form a true plan for gaining your vengeance.” Savanah said as she moved to stand next to the carriage door.

“Go! Find out what you can Savanah. Be back by diner.” Cecilia ordered.

“Of course, my Lady.” Savanah answered and stepped out the moving carriage. Cecilia chuckled as the maid disappeared in the dust thrown up by the moving carriage.

“I really need to have a talk with my Maid about shows of supernatural nature.” Cecilia sighed and looked back of the window to the left. “A World War before it’s time. Could it really happen? Why would someone from my time want to start that horror? Stopping it that I can see happening.”

“God damn it! I need more information.” Cecilia slammed her fist into the seat next to her. “What I wouldn’t give for access to my laptop and the Internet.”

“Or someone who understands the principals of probability.” Cecilia said as she spied the Fellowship of the Royal Society building. Using her cane to pound on the roof of the carriage Cecilia called out. “Driver change of destination. I need to make a quick stop at the Fellowship of the Royal Society.”

“Right away Miss.” The driver answered back as he took the next left at the cross street. It didn’t take him long before he was pulling in front of the Society hall. Once stopped the driver set the break and hoped down to help Cecilia from his carriage. “Here we are Miss. I don’t know what kind of reception you’ll see though.”

“Don’t worry sir. I have a change that I doubt the good Fellows well be able to turn away.” Cecilia said with a smile. “Besides if one needs a scientist there is no better place than the Royal Society to find one.”

The driver just nodded his head at the young Lady’s answer and watched her as she climbed the steps to the door. After she was shown inside, he climbed back up to his seat to wait. He didn’t except her to be long. After all the gentlemen of the Followship weren’t known for their tolerance or respect for the fairer sex. The driver started to chuckle. “They’ll be fools to underestimate that young Lady.”

Inside the Fellowship the driver’s words could not have been more prophetic. The Halls Steward stopped Cecilia at the foyer. “Young lady this is a gentlemen’s society. Ladies are not permitted.”

“Ah but sir I’m not in the hall. I’m in the foyer. As for why I’m here I need to assistance of you finest minds in the world. Now if this not the Fellowship of the Royal Society then I shall happily leave.” Cecilia smiled sweetly, then went in for the kill. “Please inform Lord Rushmore that Countess Cecilia Phantomhive is here.”

“Right away, ma’ Lady Phantomhive.” The Steward blanched at hearing the young woman’s name. He knew that if there was a Phantomhive in the Hall then they were here on the Queen’s business. “If you’ll please follow me to the solaria?”

Cecilia smiled and nodded her head in compliance. She accepted the fact that there was no way in the nine hells that the Steward was going to allow her beyond that point. At least not at gunpoint. After being safely escorted to the solaria to wait for Lord Rushmore, Cecilia wondered over to the far wall to study the shelves of books that lined it. She wanted to chuckle at some of the topics the books covered.

The opening of the door on the other side of the room drew her attention away from the bookshelves. The man who entered was in his late fifties with graying hair and beard. Cecilia was slightly surprised to see in his right hand he held a Meerschaum churchwarden’s pipe. The smell of a Cavendish blend tobacco reached her nose. For some reason the idea of this English gentleman smoking an American tobacco tickled Cecilia’s funny bone. With a smile she gave Lord Rushmore a small curtsy.

“Thank you for seeing me, Lord Rushmore.” Cecilia said with a smile.

“The honor is mine Countess. Though I do have to admit to something. I was expecting to see your mother.” Rushmore told her honestly as he pulled the door closed. “I understand that you have need of the Fellowship.”

“Yes sir. I have found myself in a quandary. One that deals with principals of probability.” Cecilia sighed in feigned self-resignation. “A topic that is far outside of my limited experience, and education sir.”

“Principals of probability, you say?” Lord Rushmore asked in amazement as he took a draw off of his pipe. “I must admit that is not my field of study, but I do know just the man you should talk to.”

Opening the door Rushmore called out. “Jacob, please fetch Professor Morgan for me and be quick about it. No need to keep the Lady Phantomhive waiting.” After closing the door, he turned back to Cecilia. “May I interest you in something to drink Countess while we for the Professor?”

“Thank you, but no, sir. I had tea with a friend no more than a half an hour ago.” Cecilia lied sweetly not wanting to insult the man. The fact was she wanted a stiff shot of brandy or whiskey just then after the morning she had so far. Then just for fun decided to see if she could get a sherry out of the man. “Unless you happen to have a nice sherry or brandy here by?”

“The Society happens to keep such refreshments on hand in here for when we have Lady callers. Though I do wonder what your mother would said of you abiding in drink so early in the day?” Rushmore asked with a raised eyebrow.

“She would probably raise the roof with me and you.” Cecilia giggled behind her hand then turned sad. “Oh how I wish she were here to raise that ruckus.”

“I see. You’ve lost both your parents then?” Rushmore asked kindly.

“Along with my fiancé sir. Less than a year ago now.” Cecilia said sadly keeping up the lie. “To tell you the truth sir. I’m here on business for the Queen. After what I have seen this morning, I could use something to fortify my nerves.”

“I see.” Rushmore looked down at Cecilia’s left hand at hearing she was here on business for the Queen. “Her Majesty’s Alleycat has coming hunting answers.”

“Indeed, I have, sir.” Cecilia told him with a feral grin. “Now about that drink?”

----tbc-----

Sorry for the delay. It seems that Beira, the Queen of Winter has decided to play marry hell with my Internet connection.

up
188 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Puzzles

Sara Selvig's picture

It is always a treat to puzzle out the similar sounding words that WolfJess7 intended. :) My thanks for that as well as for the engaging story.

Sara


Between the wrinkles, the orthopedic shoes, and nine decades of gravity, it is really hard to be alluring. My icon, you ask? It is the last picture I allowed to escape the camera ... back before most BC authors were born.

Saint Agnes Holy Roman Church

Saint Agnes Holy Roman Church could not be 200 years old.
Catholic churches were only built again after the end of the penal laws.
The older churches were all taken over by the Anglican church in the time of Henry the 8th.