On the run geisha style.

Printer-friendly version

On the run geisha style.
geishatitle.jpg


Behind their chalk white faces and red painted lips these flittering examples of extreme femininity hide more than just ancient traditions. Sometimes those faces hide secrets. Secrets that can be deadly if ever discovered.


Chapter 1
The darkest day.

Jason Talbot was your typical high school 15-year-old sophomore. He got B’s and C’s in most of his classes. The only exception was English were he got A’s. He was on the school’s swim team and participated in the Drama club. In many ways Jason was an unremarkable young man from the rest of his class. The only thing that set him apart was his appearance. Unlike the rest of his class Jason was the product of a Japanese mother and Scottish father. Unfortunately for Jason he took after his mother more than his father. Unlike his older twin half-brothers Mike and Greg. Both were over 6ft like their father with flaming red hair and bright green eyes.

Jason was very much their mother’s son. At 15 he was on the short side for his family. Jason barely stood 5 foot 3 inches tall. Then there was his jet-black hair and black eyes that marked him as being deferent from his brothers. There was a reason why Jason looked so deferent from his brothers and father. Jason’s mother married his father 3 years after he divorced his first wife for cheating. Not that it mattered to Mike and Greg. Anyone who screwed with their little brother often found themselves on the wrong side of their anger. Not that Jason needed their protection. Jason had been trained by his mother from an early age in her family’s martial art. Not to mention the Japanese customs and language.

Jason had one other distinguishing quality. Despite his grades Jason was blessed an extremely intelligent and inquisitive mind. His mother would often complain that if he would only apply himself his grades would improve. Not that it did any good. Jason just didn’t care about getting better grades than he need to pass his classes. Because unlike his brothers Jason knew that his chances of going to college were extremely slim to almost none. He had resigned himself to attending the local tech school when he graduated from high school. In the meantime, he prided himself in his acting. Not only was he a member of the school’s drama club but the local community theater company. He had already taken part in several plays at the theater. Granted most of those roles were as supporting characters but they were still semiprofessional credits to his name.

All in all, Jason had a good life. During the summer he would work with the community theater. In the fall and winter, he would work with the school’s drama club. While his swimming kept Jason in shape year-round. All that would change in a twist of fate placing Jason in the path of ruthless killers.

Jason’s family owned a small grocery store in the downtown area of Springworth, Ohio. The town had a population of 11,583, nine churches, two high schools, a truck strop, and four banks. One of those banks was just down the street from Talbot grocery store. Jason would often deposit the morning and afternoon receipts for his mother and father. It would be during one of those deposit runs that his life would take an unexpected turn.

As he approached the local Royal Crown Bank four men came rushing out. Unfortunately for Jason the men pulled their masks off in front of him. This gave Jason a good look at that their faces. Jason had seen in those four faces on the local news more than once. It was the faces of David Marquese, and his gang. They were on the FBI’s most wanted list for bank robbery in five states.

Jason dropped to the ground as Marquese pointed his machine pistol towards him. Even as the first bullet passed over his head Jason knew that he was dead. To his surprise he was still alive as the last bullet was fired. When he looked up from the street David Marquese lay dead before his eyes. Looking over his shoulder he saw several police officers had arrived in response to the bank’s silent alarm. Even as he gave his statement to the Detective, Jason had the sinking feeling that his ordeal was just beginning. If he had used his common sense, Jason would have kept his mouth shut about what he saw.

Two days later Jason was on his way home from school when a car passed by at a slow speed. When the rear window rolled down Jason listened to his survival instinct. Jason hit the ground once more as the bullets starting flying over his head. He stayed there until the car pulled away. Once he got home he called the Detective in charge of the bank robbery investigation. Thirty minutes later the Detective arrived at Jason’s home. Only this time he wasn’t alone.

With him were an FBI agent and two US Deputy Marshals. They didn’t bother with talking to Jason at first. Instead, they went straight to his parents. The FBI agent was the first to say anything. “Ma’am, I’m Special Agent Lee Cutter. With me are Deputy Marshal’s Sam Cahill, and Dale Dorris.”

“Um… may I know why the FBI and US Marshals are in my home?” Jason’s mother demanded.

“Excuse me, ma’am but didn’t Jason tell you about the attempt on his life today?” The local PD Detective asked.

“No. All he said over the phone was that either me or his father needed to come home. Now what exactly is going on?” She demanded.

“The men who escaped after yesterday’s bank robbery are trying to kill your son before he can testify against them in court.” Cutter answered bluntly. Then looked over at the Detective in disgust. “You can get your worthless ass out of here now. We’ll be taking over the protective detail for Jason Talbot.”

“What exactly does that mean?” Jason’s mother demanded once again. “Why are these men trying to kill my son?”

“Mrs. Talbot until now no one has ever seen the faces of the Marquese gang. Your son can identify the remaining members in a court of law. He is the only surviving witness to ever see their faces. He can put them all behind bars for a very long time.” Cutter explained for his mother.

“What if I refuse to let him testify?” She asked.

“Then we’ll arrest him and place him protective custody until the trial starts. Either way he will testify against those men. This is now a federal case. The US DA wants these people behind bars before they kill anyone else.” Cutter explained.

“Hold the fuck up here Dick Tracy. I know my rights. I don’t have to testify if I don’t want to. Also, I’m a fucking minor. You can’t compel me to testify.” Jason knew he was on firm ground. At least that’s what he thought. “If don’t testify those men will leave me alone.”

“That is where you’re wrong young man. In the last five years they’ve been operating not one witness has ever lived pasted ten days. These men are absolutely ruthless. They have gone so far as to place bounties on the heads of witnesses who talked.” Deputy Dorris said as he looked down on Jason. “You talked. That means there is most likely a price on your head.”

“I give him three days on his own before some gangbanger shanks his ass in his school’s bathroom. Four days before they gun him down in the street during a drive-by shooting.” Cahill grunted as she looked Jason up and down. “Then again they might just run him over in the crosswalk of his school.”

“Fuck you both!” Jason snapped. “If you’re going to arrest me. Feel free to try.”

“What does that mean boy?” Dorris snarled.

“You will find that my son is more than capable of defending himself Deputy. He is already a master of Togakure-ryū or ninjitsu if you prefer. If I were you. I would just stand there and remain quiet. Before Jason shoves your head up your ass for being stupid.” Mrs. Talbot chuckled at the look of surprise that crossed the two Deputies’ faces. “I was his teacher Deputies.”

“What the hell? That’s not in his dossier. How did this slip our investigation?” Agent Cutter demanded of the two Deputies.

“Don’t ask us Cutter. We weren’t the ones to do the background investigation. Your people handled that. Talk to the local office if you don’t like what you’re hearing.” Dorris snorted then gave the two Talbots a look of respect.

“Fine whatever. Right now, we need to get this kid into protective custody.” Cutter snarled as he turned back to Mrs. Talbot. “Look Mrs. Talbot, we would rather have your son’s cooperation than have to force the issue. We’ll let you talk it over between yourselves. We’ll be waiting outside for your answer.”

“Before we discuss anything I need to inform my husband of the change in circumstances.” Mrs. Talbot informed Cutter. Cutter just nodded his head and lead the two Deputies outside to wait. Once they were alone Jason’s mom turned to him. “Fix us some tea dear while I call your father.”

Twenty minutes later the whole Talbot family was gathered around the kitchen table. The discussion was hot and heavy at first. With Jason’s older brothers wanting to hunt down the gangbangers that tried to kill Jason earlier. Their father quickly put an end to that type of talk. Over the next two hours the family discussed the issue of Jason testifying against the bank robbers. Naturally his father and brothers were all for him testing. Saying that it was Jason’s civic duty. Only his mother withheld her opinion on the matter. She was more concerned for Jason’s safety. When she brought this up to her family none of them had an answer to how they would protect Jason. Finally, they called in the experts.

Agent Cutter explained that Jason would be placed in the Witness Protection Program. That he would be giving a new name and placed with a family that was already in the program. The Talbot family won’t know where he was, or who he was with. When his parents asked why they couldn’t join Jason in the program it was explained that if they all disappeared the gang would be able to find him easier. By just placing Jason in the program, he would be safer. Hearing this Jason’s mother suggest that they place Jason with her younger sister. Naturally Agent Cutter asked her where this sister lived. He was slightly surprised to learn that Mrs. Talbot’s sister lived in the “Nihonmachi” district of San Francisco.

All three federal officers took in Jason’s appearance and agreed. Of all the Talbot boys only, Jason took after their mother. Granted the two older boys were her stepsons, but they still loved and respected her. With this decided Jason’s father and older brothers left to go back to work at the grocery store. Agent Cutter then had the Deputies stand guard outside while he worked out the details of Jason’s protective status with his mother and him.

Once they had gone over all the legal details Cutter asked if Mrs. Talbot’s sister could be trusted. “I sure you that Yasu can be trusted, Agent Cutter. She may work as a secretary for Fujio Shimada, but she is just as deadly as myself or Jason.”

“Wait. Your sister works for Fujio Shimada? As in Shimada Towers and Shimada Heavy Construction? Fujio Shimada Japan’s tenth wealthiest man?” Cutter asked in surprise.

“Yes that would be him. The last time I talked to her she had just been promoted to his personal secretary and personal assistant.” Mrs. Talbot chuckled softly. “My mother is rather proud of her. Even though she hasn’t settled down and married a good man yet. Not that I expect her to do so anytime soon.”

“I must say that I am surprised to hear this. It might make placing Jason with her difficult. We try to stay away from high profile persons such as Mr. Shimada.” Agent Cutter quickly explained for them both. “If Jason was a girl we might swing it. As it is we might have to find someone else.”

“If the problem is Jason’s gender then he can just hide as Yasu’s niece.” Jason’s mother told him bluntly. When Cutter looked at her in surprise Mrs. Talbot explained. “Jason has played the part of a girl in a few plays over the last two years. This should not be a problem for him. He is quite the actor.”

“Is your mother saying that you can pass yourself off as a teenage girl Jason?” He quickly asked as a plan began to form in his head. He wanted to know just how far he could take this crazy idea and not push the boy over the edge.

“Well sure. Last summer I played the part of Juliet in the community theater. I lived as a girl twenty-four seven for three months. Then last winter I was Chiyo Sakamoto when my school’s drama club did Memoirs of a Geisha. I spent two months living as a Geisha to prepare for the role. I even went to school dressed that way. I wore nothing but women’s kimonos for the whole time.” Jason answered honestly.

“Is that what you want to be when you graduate? An actor?” Cutter asked quickly.

“I would love to go into acting professionally but I know how hard it is to break into the business. I also know that my chances would be better if I went to one of those preforming arts schools. I just can’t afford the tuition for a place like that. I can’t honestly ask my parents to fork over that kind of cash.” Jason sighed. “Not on a dream that might never pay off.”

“What other female parts have you played?” Cutter quickly asked.

“Jason has played the Maid in Diner and Murder, the demon Lila in Hell’s Fury, Jacqueline De Bellefort in Death on the Nile, and a few others over the last few years. Those were all of his leading character roles. He has had just as many males roles but for some reason they were all supporting parts. Sadly, he just doesn’t have the face or build to pull off the truly masculine roles that most leading male roles portray.” Mrs. Talbot answered much to Jason’s embarrassment.

“This might work but I need to have your permission first Mrs. Talbot.” Cutter told her honestly. Then went on to explain his idea. Once Jason’s mother had heard his idea she readily agreed. She had more than one reason to agree with the agent’s plan. She knew about Jason’s deepest personal secret.

Chapter 2
The Clinic.

Two days later Jason said his goodbyes to his family. It had taken that long for Agent Cutter to get approval from his superiors for his plan to hide to Jason. During that time Jason had stayed at a safe house with his mother on the outskirts of town. The day he was to leave Jason was giving two hours with his whole family before getting into a car that delivered him to the airport. Once on board the plane Jason was given a sleeping pill and glass of water.

Little to Jason’s knowledge his mother had packed all of the kimonos he had used the year before for him to use. While Jason knew the basics of the plan he didn’t know all the details. The first of which was about the stop at a medical clinic somewhere in the middle of the US. If he had known he might not have agreed with Agent Cutter’s plan to hide him. What he did know of the plan was that he would be living with his Aunt Yasu in San Francisco. What he didn’t know about the plan was the full extent to which he would be living as a girl. If he did, he might not have agreed to go through with the plan. The main reason was the fact that there was no time limit. It might be months, if not years before he could live as a male again.

In order to help Jason pass as a young woman his mother agreed to him undergoing certain cosmetic medical procedures. Ones that the Talbots were promised could be reversed when the time came. What Cutter didn’t tell them was that he lied. He knew that now that Jason was in the program there would be no going back for him. Not if the boy wanted to live to see his 21st birthday. Unlike the Deputies he knew that Jason had a major price on his head. The last report he read had the bounty at over $50,000.00 and growing. More than enough for some gangbanger to take interest. Yet with the bounty growing weekly it won’t be too long before some real hitters came after the boy. Someone like Tommy ‘the Knife’ Knightly.

Jason was still asleep when he arrived at the clinic. He remained that way as he underwent the first procedure, total laser hair removal of all body hair. Cutter wasn’t going to give Jason a chance to change his mind and back out of this plan. Not now that he had full guardianship of the boy. He had made sure that his mother and father signed the power of attorney and guardianship paperwork before taking custody of the boy. Unlike the Deputies and the Talbots, Cutter had only one objective. To get Jason before the judge and jury to put the Marquese gang behind bars for the rest of their lives. If not in the electric chair. He wanted to see more than justice, he wanted revenge.

He was going to do whatever it took to achieve his revenge. If that meant he had to turn Jason into a simpering little sissy. He would. If it meant turning the boy out as a drug addicted street whore. Then that’s what the boy would become.

When Jason woke for the first time in the clinic he was naturally disorientated. It took him a few minutes to realize that he was in a hospital room. “What the hell happened to me? Did I overdose on that sleeping pill by mistake?”

“Not at all young man. When you arrived here two days ago you were still asleep. It was felt that it would be best to go ahead with the first procedure. The laser hair removal.” A man in surgical scrubs told him from the doorway.

“Oh. Are you my nurse?” Jason asked.

“Hardly I’m your doctor. That is all you need to know about me. The rest of the medical staff here are nurse, and nurse’s aide. Those are the only names you heard from us or use. This is for both your protection and ours. When you leave here in three weeks we’ll return to our normal lives.” The Doctor told him.

“Oh. Um… okay doctor. So, what’s next?” Jason asked.

“Over the next few days, you will receive breast and hip augmentation. This will be accomplished through the use of liposuction and the redistribution of your body’s natural fat from your stomach and waist area. You will also undergo rhinoplasty and blepharoplasty to give you a more Japanese appearance. Lastly you’ll undergo a specialized procedure to disguise your true sex.” As Jason heard what he was to undergo through he didn’t realize that the doctor was withholding something from him about the last procedure. Jason would be castrated to hide his true sex.

There was also one other procedure that Agent Cutter had approved that would be kept from the boy until it was too late to change. A twelve-month implant of female hormones that would slowly change him into a transexual female. Cutter was already planning to have Jason back here in this clinic in one year for his SRS. Whatever Cutter’s reasons for keeping this information from Jason would remain his secret. Unfortunately, Jason trusted the FBI Agent and the two Deputy Marshals. He would undergo everything with the belief that everything could be reversed once he had testified against the bank robbers.

When the nurse joined them in the room she said nothing to Jason. She just walked up to his bed and injected something into the iv tube in his right arm. The doctor nodded his head to her as left the room then looked at Jason. “That was a mild sedative. You’ll receive three of those every day that you’re under my care.”

“Why?” Jason asked him honestly.

“To be honest. I don’t want you trying something stupid while you’re healing. I would have preferred to keep you sedated completely during the time it took to perform all the procedures, but your handlers vetoed my suggestion. Though I can understand their reasons. You need to adjust to your new reality.” The doctor explained for Jason slowly. “From this point on you need to understand that you will need to live your life as a teenage Japanese girl.”

“Can I talk with Agent Cutter please?” Jason asked quickly.

“I’ll send him.” Was all the doctor said and left the room. Ten minutes later Cutter walked through the door giving Jason a blank look.

“You wanted to see me?” He asked Jason.

“Yes sir. I know that the plan is to have me live with my aunt until the trial. I don’t understand is why as a Japanese girl? Why not as a Japanese-American as originally planned?” Jason asked him in confusion.

“You mother and I had originally planned to have you live with your aunt as her niece from the east coast. That all changed when the day we left your hometown. Someone leaked the location of where we were going to move you. To compensate for the leak, we changed your cover id.” Cutter flat out lied to Jason. He had always planned on hiding Jason as an exchange student from Japan with his aunt. “Your new cover id is as an exchange student from the Higashi Chaya district of Kanazawa. I know that wasn’t what we planned but circumstances have forced the change. Your aunt will act as your host for your time here in the US.”

“What happens if the trial doesn’t happen during the school year? Most exchange students return home after just one year.” Jason demanded.

“If that should happen we have a cover story already in place. Your new cover id is as an only child in the exchange program. Your parents will suffer an unfortunate accident leaving you an orphan. Another family in the program will then adopt you and raise as their child. Don’t worry we’ve delt with similar situations before.” Cutter knew that the Witness Security Program had delt with underage witness before who had lost their families. More than once a minor was placed with families in the program for their protection. Then there was the rare occasion were a minor in the program was placed with two field agents or deputies as their cover family. This was Cutter’s real goal. He wanted Jason placed in the care of two field agents that could pass themselves off as his parents.

“Can you answer another question?” Jason asked Cutter who nodded yes. “Why the Higashi Chaya district of Kanazawa? I mean that is one of the biggest geisha districts in all of Japan. Why not Tokyo or Kyoto even Kobe would be better. Everyone will be expecting me to act like a maiko.”

“That is part of your cover id. Before you argue it was your mother who decided on the majority of your cover id. She said something about hiding you in plain sight as the atotori to an okiya. She explained that it would give you greater protection by the local Japanese community. I don’t fully understand.” Cutter lied.

“Don’t bother trying to figure it out Agent Cutter. You have to be Japanese to understand the situation that my mother has placed me in.” Jason sighed and looked down at his hands. “It’s a good thing I spend all that time preparing for the role of Chiyo Sakamoto. At least I know most of what I’ll need to know to act the part.”

“I know this is going to sound stupid Jason. Can you use a Japanese accent?” Cutter asked the boy with a straight face.

“I can handle the Kyoto region accent without a problem.” Jason answered using the accent he just mentioned. “But Kanazawa is outside of my experience.”

“Okay not a problem. We’ll switch your cover id to being from the Hanami-koji-dori in the Gion district of Kyoto. I knew that we should have talked with you more when deciding to rework your cover id.” Cutter sighed as if he was put out by making the changes to Jason’s cover id. The fact was he had already made the changes. He knew what he told Jason’s parents was a lie. They would never see their son again.

“Um… sorry if I’m for causing you problems Agent Cutter.” Jason whispered in shame.

“You’re not causing me problems Jason. I’m the one who should have talked to you more about your cover id. Most of these problems could have been prevented if I had only taken the time to get to know you better.” Cutter said with faked regret. “Now I know from your mother that you hate homework. However, once I have everything put together for your cover id you have a lot to study and memorize.”

“How much are we talking about?” Jason asked him with real teenage angst.

“About thirty to forty pages. I know that sounds like a lot but remember this will be your life for the next year or so. One slip up and we’ll have to relocate you.” Cutter felt he should lay it on thick if he wanted Jason to do what he wanted. He placed a large stack of papers in front the teen. “This is your agreement with the Department of Justice. I need you to read it then sign it on the last page.”

“Okay. How long do I have to read all this?” Jason asked as he picked up the three-inch-thick stack of paper.

“I’ll give you a couple of hours.” Cutter grunted and looked at his watch. “I’ll be back after you’ve had your diner. Have that read and signed.”

Once he was alone Jason sighed and looked around the room. He was in your typical hospital bed. Off to the left side was a heart monitor and BP cup. On the right side was an IV stand with two IV bags hanging. On the wall at the foot of the bed was a 40-inch flat screen TV. Outside of the bed tray that was all there was in the room. With nothing else to do Jason picked up the agreement and started reading. As he worked his through the agreement he found several places where he had to sign his initials. It took him until 30-minutes before his diner was served to read and sign the whole document. Jason was slightly surprised that the diner he was served was a traditional Japanese style meal.

As he ate Jason had an uneasy feeling settle over him. For some reason he would be eating a lot of traditional Japanese meals over the next few weeks. The biggest clue to this idea was the chopsticks. They weren’t the cheap disposable type. These were made of food-grade 304 stainless steel with a laser-engraved pattern on the end. They came with an anti-slip tip and square body. He had seen chopsticks like these before in the high-end stores that specialized in oriental furniture and housewares. The average price for a pair of chopsticks of this type was between $15 to $20. This feeling was reinforced when the nurse left the chopsticks when she picked up his empty tray after diner.

The last person Jason saw for the day was Agent Cutter when he returned to pick up the signed agreement. With no one to talk to and nothing to read Jason turned on the TV. He was surprised to find that he could only find Japanese programs. “Damn. They really go out of their way to prepare someone for their new life. I’m glade mom taught me Japanese from the time I was old enough to talk.”

The next morning the nurse came into his room at 5:30 and injected something into his IV. Jason never woke up that day. While his was unconscious the medical staff preformed the first cosmetic procedure. When Jason woke up the next time he found that he now had A-cup breasts, a much small waist, and slightly wider hips. He spent the day eating and watching tv. The next morning the whole ordeal was repeated. This was how Jason spend his first two weeks in at the clinic. He had expected to be in a great deal of pain, but the doctor kept him on a steady supply of pain killers and sedatives. When he woke after the final procedure the level of pain from his groin was almost unbearable. The catheter in his bladder was the most uncomfortable though. It would take him 6 days to recover enough from all the procedures before he was able to get out of bed.

The first time he saw his new body Jason had a feeling that he was lied to by Cutter. He could tell that a lot of what had been done to him by the doctor was irreversible without heavy surgery. Even his face was no longer the face he had grown up seeing in the mirror. It maybe swollen, and bruised now, but Jason could tell that once he healed. He would be extremely cute and appear to be around 13 to 14 years old. This last realization really hit Jason hard. He knew that his new identity was supposed to be 16 but if he looked too young Cutter might make another change to his cover. Over the next few weeks as he healed Jason studied the cover id that Cutter and the Deputies provided for him.

In the third week Jason was allowed to wear something other than a hospital gown. The only downside was they gave him only kimonos to wear. At first Jason wondered where they got the kimonos. Until he realized that they were the ones he wore to get ready for his role in Memories of a Geisha. He quickly realized that his mother must have sent them for him to wear. During that same week Cutter supplied Jason with the traditional makeup used by maiko and geisha. When he questioned the reason behind the gift Cutter was quick to explain. It took Jason totally by surprise when Cutter had to remind him that part of his background story was that he was raised in his mother’s okiya. That he was expected to act in the manner of a trained maiko.

For the next few weeks Jason spent more time practicing his makeup skills until he could apply it without mistakes. He even learned the more traditional hair styles of the geisha. During that time, he learned everything that the doctor had done to him. To include his castration and the 12-month hormone implant. When he found out about this last bit of information Jason resigned himself to spending the rest of his life as a geisha. With this in mind he pushed himself to become the best geisha he could become. He also gave up on the idea of returning to his old male life.

Chapter 3
Aunt Yasu.

By the time he was deemed ready to leave he had been at the clinic for four months. It was not the small, skinny, Japanese American boy who entered the clinic that left. It was a refined Japanese girl from the Hanami-koji-dori in the Gion district of Kyoto. Everything about her appearance from her walk, makeup, hair, and dress screamed maiko. Before the young woman left the clinic she was given a sleeping pill. She just smiled shyly and took the pill before climbing into the SUV that would take her to the airport. She was fast asleep before the big car ever left the clinic compound. Her future as a woman was now safely set.

A future that she embraced with open arms and mind. Agent Cutter of the FBI kissed the young woman on the forehead before watching her placed aboard the plane. Only the two Deputy Marshals would accompany her from this point on. They would hand her off to the local office who would then see to her security. Cutter turned and walked back to his personal car as the plane left the runway.

“Well kid. I’ve done everything I could to ensure your safety. You may hate me for everything we have done to you, but it was for your own good. You should know it was your mother who suggest everything. She has wanted always wanted an heir to her family’s traditions. Now that you’re basically a girl she has that heir.” Cutter said into the empty air of the parking lot. He turned to look in the direction that the plane flew. “Your Aunt Yasu will be the one to finish your geisha training.”

Chihiro Izumi as Jason was now called woke from her drug inducted sleep 20 minutes before the plane landed. What she didn’t know was that she had been flown first to Guam and placed aboard a Japanese commercial flight back to the United States. Her two FBI handlers had been replaced with Deputies that were of Japanese descent. When Chihiro found herself landing in San Francisco she was happy for the first time in months. She knew that she would soon be with her Aunt Yasu and her days parading around as a maiko would be over.

Her handlers gave her a passport with her new name and home once they exited the plane. They quickly directed her to the immigration station. There her passport and student visa were stamped. What Chihiro didn’t realize at the time was that one little action would forever link her to Japan as a Japanese citizen. As they exited the immigration area they were greeted by a young woman dressed in the same manner as Chihiro. For her to see another geisha in the US let alone at the San Francisco International airport shocked the young girl.

The older geisha walked up to Chihiro and bow slightly. “Welcome to the United States Chihiro-chan. I am your Aunt Yasu.”

“Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to meet me here Aunt Yasu.” Chihiro said as she returned the older geisha’s bow. “Also thank you for taking me in during my time as an exchange student.”

“I believe that there has been a misunderstanding Chihiro-chan. You are here to finish your training first as a maiko and then geisha. In time you will take over my position here in America while I return home to take over for your grandmother. In time you will replace me.” Yasu informed Chihiro with a small smile. “Let’s find your luggage. I have a car waiting for us outside.”

Chihiro could only nod her head in response to her aunt’s order. She was still in shock at learning that she would be trained as a geisha. She had thought the plan was for her to go to some local high school as an exchange student. She wasn’t expecting to be trained as a geisha in America. As they exited the airport Chihiro, and Yasu were greeted by a corporate limousine with driver. The driver took Chihiro’s luggage and placed in the trunk while they climbed into the rear seats.

“Not what you were expecting?” Yasu asked with a smirk.

“No ma’am.” Chihiro answered honestly. “Nothing that has happened over the last few months has been as I was told it would be to be honest.”

“I guess it is time for full disclosure Chihiro.” Yasu said with a sigh. “And it looks like the Deputies and your parents have left the dirty details up to me.”

“Aunt Yasu what does that mean?” Chihiro asked in true confusion.

“When your mother asked me to take you in as part of your Witness Protection I naturally agreed. Especially when she told me that you were going to be hiding as a girl. Before that could happen though I had to come clean with her about my current employment situation. You see I don’t actually work for Fujio Shimada. He is my danna, or what you would call patron for the last several years. Shimada-san paid for me to come from home to be his personal geisha. I handle the arrangements for all of his business luncheons, parties, and diners.” Yasu slowly explained her role in Shimada’s life for her niece.

“I think I understand. Is the fact that you’re a geisha why my father never talked about you in our home?” Chihiro asked politely.

“In some ways Chihiro. Though mostly because I am a reminder of your mother’s past.” Yasu chuckled. “Didn’t your parents ever tell you how they met?”

“No ma’am.” Chihiro answered honestly.

“Your mother was hired to work at a Japanese style hotel’s grand opening here in America. He was there to attend a conference for small business owners. Your mother waited on him as a hostess at one of the hotel sponsored diner parties. They fill in love over the weekend.” Yasu giggled softly behind her left hand. “They stayed in contact after the conference. Then six months later he asked her to marry, and you know the rest of the story.”

“I never thought of my father as being the romantic type. I find it hard to believe that he fell in love at first sight.” Chihiro giggled herself behind her left hand as she had seen her aunt do then asked her next question. “Aunt Yasu what all will my training cover? I only ask so that I know what to expect.”

“Traditionally there are three major elements of a maiko’s training. The first is the formal arts training, which would take place in schools found in every hanamachi. There you would have studied such traditional instruments as the shamisen, the flute, and drums, as well as learning games, traditional songs, calligraphy, trained in the more traditional Japanese dances in the Buyō style, tea ceremony, literature, and poetry. As we have access to such a school here in San Francisco’s Japan Town. You will be attending it during the day. In the evening you will act as my minarai at the events I hold for Shimada-san.” Yasue explained for Chihiro.

“I understand, Aunt Yasu. Thank you for this great honor.” Chihiro answered with a small bow of respect for her elder.

“The second element of your training is the entertainment training which a you will learn at various tea houses and parties by observing me your ‘older sister’. There are several Japanese style tea houses in the ‘Nihonmachi’ district of San Francisco that we will use for that.” Yasu told Chihiro as she continued to explain the young maiko’s training and education schedule. “The third part of your training is the social skill of navigating the complex social web of the hanamachi; formal greetings, gifts, and visits are key parts of the social structure of the karyūkai, and crucial for the support network necessary to support for your eventual debut as a geisha. I will be handling these last two parts of your training personally.”

“Yes ma’am. Again, thank you for this honor of learning under you.” Chihiro said once again while bowing slightly to her aunt. She knew that she was trapped in this new life but was determined to make the best of her new life. “May I know where I will be staying during my training?”

“You will be staying with me. I have an apartment in the upper floors of Shimada Grand Tower. Don’t worry about our privacy. The whole floor is my apartment and only I have the access key to the elevator.” Yasu reassured her niece. Then handed her a keycard. “Now you have the only other access key.”

“What about building security and maintenance staff?” Chihiro asked.

“Building Security does have an access key for emergencies. The building maintenance personal need for one of us to be present to perform any repairs.” Yasu explained as she placed her hands in her lap. Seeing as how her aunt was sitting Chihiro was quick to copy her. Chihiro quickly realized that a good part of her training would be by observing her aunt. It must have been the correct thing to do. “Very good Chihiro. You’ve already grasped the fundamentals of your first stage of training.”

“Thank you oneesan. I do not wish to embarrass you by showing improper manners.” Chihiro figured it would be best to be honest with her aunt.

“That is very wise of you Chihiro-chan. Always remember that you are a reflection of my teaching. As my maiko you should always remember that your actions and appearance are a reflection of your oneesan’s training.” Yasu quickly explained her expectations for her niece.

During the 45 minutes that it took to drive from the airport to the Shimada Grand Tower Yasu went into deal concerning Chihiro’s training. She even explained what Chihiro’s duties would be during the times that she accompanied her to certain public events. Chihiro was surprised to learn that her aunt was often hired by other businesses at act as hostess for public events. Things like grand openings, celebrations, and even festivals. There was one thing that needed to happen first though. Chihiro had to be enrolled at the special school. They would be doing that tomorrow as it was too late to handle it today.

When they reached Shimada Grand Tower the limo pulled directly into the underground garage. The limo stopped at a bank of elevators where Chihiro and Yasu exited. Yasu waved her access card in front of a scanner plate on the side of one elevator. She turned to Chihiro. “These elevator is for the privet residences. It can only be used by someone with an access card.”

“Oneesan how many privet residences are there?” Chihiro asked politely.

“Floors forty through seventy are all privet residences. Not all of them are signal residences like ours. Which is on floor sixty-nine. Floors forty through fifty each has four apartments. Fifty-one through sixty-five have only two apartments. From floor sixty-six up they’re signal dwelling apartments. The only person above us is Shimada-san’s oldest daughter Kitiara. From floors seventy-one to seventy-five are the service floors for the whole building. Those five floors hold the elevator service rooms, fire suppression system, computer server node for the tower, telecommunications center, security system server, and the maintenance center for the tower. No matter what happens never, under any circumstances enter those floors. While this elevator will allow you to access those floors never do it. Building security will become upset with us.” Yasu warned Chihiro as they waited for the elevator. “The only thing above that is the roof and the helicopter landing pad.”

“Understood oneesan.” Chihiro answered as the elevator doors finally opened. Once inside Yasu inserted her card to a slot in the control panel then pushed the button for their floor. She noticed that Yasu didn’t remove her card from the slot until they reached the 69th floor. When the doors opened Yasu finally pulled her card out. Yasu turned to Chihiro once they were in their apartment.

“Did you see how to operate the elevator?” She asked.

“Yes oneesan. I must leave my access card in the card reader to operate the elevator. May I know what happens if I remove the card after entering our floor?”

“The elevator automatically overrides your choice. It stops on the thirty-fifth floor. Where the Security Office is for the building. It is a safety feature.” Yasu explained with what Chihiro was quickly realizing her signature geisha smile. A smile that Chihiro was quickly beginning to envy. Yasu spotted the tattle tale first sign of envy in her niece. “Do not worry Chihiro. Over time you will learn the secrets of how to present a pleasing smile also.”

“Forgive me oneesan. I did not understand the feeling that came over me.” Chihiro answered back as she bowed to her aunt.

“It is normal Chihiro. Even your mother and I felt the envy of a new maiko for her oneesan. It is all part of becoming a geisha. That envy is what drives us to become the flowers of femininity that is the envy of all women.” Yasu told her kindly. “Why don’t I show you around the apartment while we wait for your luggage to arrive. I know this is going to sound silly, but all packages must go through security before being delivered to their owners within the building.”

“Aunt Yasu I understand the reason for security checking all packages. A few years ago, even before nine-eleven there was a man who used package delivered bombs to cause terror among some very public figures and organizations. One such bombing caused the deaths of thirty-eight people in one building. That was in nineteen-eighty-eight at the Cohen Tower in Miami.” Chihiro explained for her aunt.

“I see. Wasn’t that part of the Unabomber case?” Yasu asked.

“Not exactly oneesan. David Sinclair did the Cohen Tower bombing. He targeted the tourist organizations. In his manifesto that was published a few years after his arrest Sinclair explained his reason. He believed that companies like Western Travel Ways and Norwegian Course lines were destroying the ideal of the family vacation for profit. While promoting decadent lifestyles that lead to the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.” Chihiro explained for her aunt.

“Ah I remember reading something about that madman. He even attacked the tea houses that we geisha use for our business. He compared us to common streetwalkers.” Yasu snorted as she showed Chihiro where to place her pokkuri sandals within the genkan. There she quickly dawned a pair of the traditional Japanese slippers called uwabaki. As Chihiro was shown around the apartment she quickly realized that her new home was setup in the traditional style of a small Japanese signal-family detached home.

Like most traditional Japanese houses, the apartment did not have a designated use for each room aside from the genkan, kitchen, bathroom, and toilet. The other rooms could be used as a living room, dining room, study, or bedroom. Chihiro learn this was possible because all the necessary furniture is portable, being stored in oshiire, a small section of the house used for storage. Her aunt stopped halfway through the tour and turned to Chihiro pointing at one of the partitions saying.

“Chihiro please remember that while you’re living with me you must embrace the Japanese way of life. Shimada-san requires this of us if he is to remain our danna.” Yasu quickly explained. “Just as it is important to remember that in Japan, living room is expressed as ima, ‘living space’. This is because the size of a room can be changed by altering the partitioning.”

“I think I understand oneesan. I should only think of myself as Japanese. I should forget everything I learned as an American teenager.” Chihiro said. Only to get a smile and slight nod of the head from Yasu.

Their conversation was cut short by the arrival of the elevator. When the door didn’t open Yasu walked over to the control panel. “Yes, who is it?”

“Curtis from security Ms. Izumi. I’m here with your niece’s luggage.”

“Thank you Mr. Curtis. Unlocking the door to the elevator now.” Yasu answered back as she punched in a combination on the control panel. After receiving her luggage from the security guard Chihiro spent the next 3 hours hanging up her kimonos, yukatas, and their undergarments. While she was doing that Yasu was putting away her obi belts, obi jime, obi age, inner belts, and tabi socks.

“I must say Chihiro you have a rather large collection of kimonos and yukatas for just starting out. I know that none of these were your mother’s. Where did you come by them all?” Yasu asked her.

“I ordered them online from a kimono wholesale website oneesan. All of these are what they call their six-piece collections. That is why everything matches up so well. There should be a collection of geta, zori, and pokkuri sandals here somewhere. I know that mother would have packed them.” Chihiro explained for her aunt.

“They must be in this next suitcase.” Yasu said as she open the third one. “Yes here they are. I’m surprised by the sheer size of your wardrobe Chihiro-chan. Why did you ever build such a wardrobe?”

“Last year in drama club we performed Memories of a Geisha. I was selected to play the part of Chiyo. To that end I spent three months learning everything I could about being a maiko and dressed the part every day. I wanted to portray the part to the best of my ability. For some reason I had to honor the role with all I had. When I told mother that I was picked for the part she helped me to build my wardrobe. She even helped me with my makeup every day.” Chihiro giggled lightly behind her left hand. “I think mom did it just to have a daughter around the house for a few months. I really didn’t mind as it made her happy.”

“Your mother was most likely remembering her time as a maiko Chihiro. We were both trained by our mother as maiko before becoming geishas.” Yasu suggested.

“I don’t know about that Aunt Yasu. You’re probably right though. I do know that my makeup sessions during that time helped me to apply my makeup on my own for the last few weeks. The same with dressing and wearing kimonos.” Chihiro giggled once more. “That time also helped me with walking in pokkuri sandals.”

“Oh, how I remember those days.” Yasu giggled herself this time at a memory. “If you promise never to tell anyone but your own daughter. I’ll tell you a story about your mother when she was first learning to walk in her pokkuri.”

“I promise.” Chihiro swore with a matching grin.

“I’ll tell you while we fix out diner.” Yasu answered while leading the way to the kitchen. While the two women fixed a traditional Japanese diner Yasu told Chihiro stories of her and her mother’s time as maiko under Chihiro’s grandmother.

Chapter 4
Unexpected developments.

Over the next three months Chihiro settled into the normal life of a teenage girl. Her day started at 630 am Monday through Friday. She usually wore a yukata with minimalistic makeup, and geta sandals to school. Her school had all 4 high school grades like normal high school, but her new school was geared towards instruction in performing arts. These included traditional Japanese instruments such as the shamisen, flute, and drums. She was also instructed in the traditional games of the geisha, along with their traditional songs. She was also taught the more traditional Japanese dances of the Buyō style. One area she wasn’t expecting to be given instruction was in the tea ceremony, literature, calligraphy, and poetry.

Even though Yasu had explained the curriculum that Chihiro would be studying at the school. She was still surprised by the total curriculum coverage by the school’s instructors. Though she surprised them in return. While Chihiro had been a student of drama she had also studied her mother’s native arts. She already knew how to play the shamisen, flute, and drums. When she was preparing for her role in Memories of a Geisha Chihiro learned the basics in how to dance in the traditional style of Buyo from her mother. She had also learned a few of the games and songs that geisha use to entertain their guests in the tea houses.

The areas where Chihiro was lacking cause the young girl to study even harder to catchup with her classmates. Yasu would often find her working hard at her bedroom desk late into the night. More than once, Yasu would be treated to the tea ceremony by her niece. They would also spend their weekend days practicing the songs and games she had been taught during the week. Yasu was actually surprised to find that Chihiro knew how to play the shamisen and flute with some proficiency. In many ways Chihiro’s time preparing for the role of Chiyo Sakamoto had given her a leg up on the rest of the students in her class. That was the one thing that Chihiro wasn’t happy about with her new school. Instead of being in the second year class she was placed in the beginners class with the rest of the new students.

On Friday morning of the twelfth week Yasu stopped her before she left for school. “I need a word with you before you leave for school today Chihiro. I need you to come straight home from school at the end of your last class today. Understand?”

“Yes oneesan. Come straight home at the final bell. May I know why?” Chihiro asked.

“Though I wish we had more time for your training Shimada-san has expressed his desire to meet my new maiko in a formal setting. Tonight, we will be the entertainment for an important business meeting. I know that you are already proficient with the shamisen. You will provide the music while I dance for them. There are a few other things we will need to do during the meeting, but nothing that you cannot manage.” Yasu told her.

“I will do my best not to embarrass you oneesan.” Chihiro told her aunt with a deep bow. “Will I be there as your minarai?”

“Not this time. We will be the only geisha there this evening. If this evening’s party was an ozashiki with other geisha and maiko in attendance I would naturally have you off to the side as a minarai.” Yasu sighed and held up her smart phone. “Sadly, I was just informed of the meeting by Shimada-san.”

“Should I stay home today and help with the arrangements oneesan? I know how much you hate last minute changes to the schedule.” Chihiro offered from her place near the genkan of the apartment. “I only have four classes today. All of which I can make-up on Monday with ease.”

“As much as I appreciate the offer Chihiro-chan. You must not neglect your studies. You’re about four to five months behind in your training from where you should be.” Yasu corrected her niece kindly. “Study hard today and be sure to come straight home after school. We will be pressed for time. Between makeup and dressing we will have barely enough time to present a proper appearance. Though you shall be using a shimada-style wig for now. Until your own hair becomes long enough to style.”

“Oneesan I was wondering if I might be able to get hair extensions. They’re relatively inexpensive and come in varying lengths.” Chihiro explained as she ran her left hand over her shoulder length hair.

“After tonight I’ll look into the possibility. It will depend on the generosity of Shimada-san’s guests this evening. If they are pleased with your performance they will bestow a gift. Shimada-san might even be the one to bestow you with a gift.” Yasu’s cryptic comments would haunt Chihiro’s mind all day.

Chihiro was distracted to the point that her teacher for literature, calligraphy, and poetry called her out into the hall. “Chihiro-chan care to explain where your head is today? You’ve never been this lackadaisical about your studies before.”

“I’m very sorry Ms. Watanabe. I didn’t mean to be a distraction. It’s just that I’m making my debut as my Aunt Yasu’s maiko this evening.” Chihiro explained as she blushed and looked down at her hands.

“Ah! I see. You’re nervus. No wonder you’re unable to concentrate in class.” Her teacher said with a smile of pride and understanding. “Will your debut be at an ozashiki arranged for by your aunt?”

“No ma’am. It’s at a privet business party for her danna, Mr. Shimada. It’s a last-minute arrangement that she only found about this morning. I wish I knew more about what to expect. I know that I’ll be expected to gracefully flirt and entertain his male guests. That it’s supposed to be understood as being part of a geisha’s duties and entertainment skills. That it’s not to be taken as a serious sign of personal interest.” She told her teacher honestly.

Seeing the light blush come to the teenager’s cheeks Ms. Watanabe grin. “I see the problem. This is more than your debut. It’s the first time you’ve interacted with guests. Am I right or is there something else, Chihiro?”

“No ma’am. It’s just that well… um… outside of other students I’ve never interacted with people.” Chihiro told her honestly. “Until recently I never even set foot out of the Hanami-koji-dori in the Gion district of Kyoto.”

“Oh my. Your aunt informed us that you lived a very sheltered life until now. But I can see that she greatly under evaluated how sheltered. With our school uniform consisting of a yukata and everyday makeup. You haven’t had time to adjust to the stares and admiration that maiko and geisha are exposed to in public.” Watanabe sighed. “I do wish your aunt had been able to inform us of your debut date. We could have worked in preparing you for it like our regular students.”

“What do you mean Ms. Watanabe?” Chihiro asked politely.

“Normally the teachers here would spend two to three weeks with a student before their debut preparing them. We hold special classes in how to interact with guests. Both male and females.” Watanabe told her honestly with a heavy sigh. “Though in your case we might not have spent enough time preparing you.”

“May I know what you mean by that ma’am?”

“Well to be honest Chihiro. We know that you were raised in your grandmother’s okiya and you’re her atotori. We just figured that you would have been used to dealing with male guests already while working as your mother’s maiko.” Watanabe explained quickly for Chihiro.

“Oh, I see the problem.” Chihiro sighed as she remembered her cover story. “As the daughter of a geisha I was raised in a traditional okiya you were expecting for me to have already learned certain skills. I hate to say this, but I started out as a shikomi. I’ve learned most of the necessary skills to become a maiko, as well as attending to the needs of the house and how to live with my geisha sisters within the karyūkai. From them I learned the mannerisms necessary to be a geisha, and the traditions of the karyūkai. Like all apprentices I learned how to comfortably wear a kimono, the more traditional hairstyles, and oshiroi make-up. I did all this by watching the other geisha in the house and my mother. However, I was never formally trained in the arts of the geisha.”

“That explains a great deal about your education. All the teachers here, myself included, were wondering why you exceled in certain areas. While you lacked in others.” Watanabe chuckled. “To be honest with you Chihiro. Most of the instructors here at the school are wondering why you are in the student exchange program?”

“There is a growing concern in many of the okiyas in the more traditional hanamachi for the younger maiko. They feel that we lack the needed exposure to Western people to adequately interact with them.” Once again Chihiro was relaying on her cover story to help her explain why she was in the student exchange program. “Like a good number of daughters raised in the okiyas. It is felt that we should attend schools overseas as exchange students to address this growing problem. This way we learn the needed skills to deal with Western tourists that visit our tea houses.”

“And you’re the pilot student.” Watanabe suggested while Chihiro nodded her head. “That does explain a great deal. While many Japanese towns have started geisha schools here in the US. None of us thought that we would be hosting a student from a hanamachi. Let alone one of Kyoto’s gokagai.”

“I don’t know how many more maiko you’ll see from the hanamachis. I can tell you that if things keep going the way they are at home. You can expect to see a good number over the next few years.” Chihiro lied quickly.

“Thank you for the warning Chihiro. For now, we need to return to class. Please try to pay more attention in class.” Watanabe ordered her. Chihiro breathed a quiet sigh of relief as she returned to class. Chihiro had two realizations that day. The first was just how fragile her cover id was in truth. A perfect example of this had just happen. She had just barely escaped having her cover id exposed by not paying attention in class. Her second realization was that her life depended on her being ever vigilant in her daily life. She had become too comfortable in her new life. She had forgotten that there were men who wanted to kill to her.

That afternoon when she arrived home as promised Chihiro informed her aunt of what had happened at school. Yasu quickly asked her niece with real worry for her safety. “Did you stick to the cover story Chihiro?”

“Yes ma’am. Though I had to embellish it a little.” Chihiro told her then went on to tell her aunt the whole story of her confrontation with her teacher. “Did I do the right thing oneesan?”

“Yes and no, Chihiro-chan.” Yasu sighed. “I’ll have to inform the Deputies of the changes you made to your cover story. Though I can understand why you made them. There are just certain things that people not raised in a hanamachi would know. You had to adapt to a situation that we had not counted on. For that I’m sorry. Instead of accompanying me to the party you will stay here. I can handle the party myself.”

“No need to apologize oneesan. I knew that sooner or later I would have to make my official debut as a maiko. I know that you wanted more time to train me in the customary manner. This isn’t Shimada-san’s fault either. This is nothing more than bad timing and bad luck.” Chihiro quickly told her aunt. “We just need to face the situation head on and accept the fact that tonight is my debut. Even if it’s ahead of time. I’ll do my best to make you proud.”

Yasu just smiled then hugged her niece. “Thank you dear. We really need to start getting ready for tonight. Luckily you’ll be using a wig. As it will save time.”

While Chihiro showered and cleaned up from school Yasu started on her makeup. Yasu had gone to her hair stylist earlier in the day while her niece was at school to save time. She wore her hair in the traditional shimada style known as the chū taka Shimada. It’s a flattened, sleeker version of the bunkin taka shimada worn as a bridal wig in traditional weddings. There would be subtle differences between their two styles of makeup as maiko and geisha.

The first step in applying her shironuri makeup was to apply a thick wax base to her bare skin. She melted it by using the warmth of her hands. She then pressed it onto her face and neck. She used it to smooth out the pores of her skin. Like some geisha Yasu shaved her eyebrows to make it easier to do her makeup. More traditional geisha flatten their eyebrows with a special paste. The reason for this is they have to be painted with red and black pigment later.

The third step is to apply the white makeup base. It comes in the form of a white or pinkish powder that can be mixed with water to achieve a form of a thick paste. The paste is applied with wide flat brushes and then patted with a big makeup sponge. The patting results in a smooth appearance later.

During the fourth step Yasu used a pink paste for contouring her face. She paid special attention to her nose and eyes area in particular. Next up was the lines on the back of her neck. These lines were painted while using two mirrors. Normally she would only paint the two lines of the eriashi which were used for an everyday look. But tonight, was a special occasion. Tonight, she painted the three lines of the sanbonashi. They were painted with a special stencil.

With the lines on the back of her neck completed Yasu turned her attention to the next step. This was finishing her makeup with black eyeliner and mascara. While Chihiro as a first year maiko might not be allowed to do it, Yasu placed them on top of red pigment around the eyes. Sometimes when in a hurry Yasu used a red lipstick around the eyes, too.

Yasu heard the shower shutoff just as she reached the final step of her makeup. This was when the red lipstick called beni is applied. In the case of a first year maiko, Chihiro can only apply the red to her lower lip. For other maiko and geisha, both lips are painted. The lips are painted smaller than they actually are, so they look cute and proportional. Yasu sat back in her chair to double check her makeup as Chihiro entered the room. The young girl had already placed her shoulder length hair in a wig cap. “Do you need help with your makeup?”

“No oneesan.” Chihiro giggled. “I learned how to do my makeup on my own before coming here. I’ll be ready for my wig in about twenty minutes.”

“Have you ever painted the three lines of the sanbonashi?” Yasu asked her.

“No ma’am. All I have ever done is the eriashi.” Chihiro answered honestly.

“Sit.” Yasu commanded her niece. Once Chihiro had taken her seat in front of the mirror Yasu grabbed the wax. After gathering some up in her left hand, she gave the wax to Chihiro. “Do your face. Good, very nice, I see that you shaved your eyebrows. I’ll take care of the back of your neck.”

“I figured there was a reason that you shaved your eyebrows oneesan. I decided to try it for this evening. I can already see it makes it easier to apply both the wax and oshiroi base.” Chihiro told her as she applied the wax to her whole face and the front of her neck. Yasu finished first and began to paint the three lines of sanbonashi down the back of her neck and lower shoulders.

With her aunt’s help Chihiro was ready just in time to hear the elevator chime announcing someone’s arrival. As usual for special events Yasu hired a professional dresser to help her with her kimono. Chihiro was surprised find herself and her aunt dressed in matching formal black kimonos. The only differences were the obi. As a maiko Chihiro wore a long darari obi, while her aunt who was a geisha wore her obi in the taiko-musubi style. There was one other difference between the two.

It was their hair. While Yasu’s hair was her own it lacked the ornamentation of Chihiro’s hair. Before they left the apartment Yasu placed a green pin in the mid-left of Chihiro’s hair known as “tsunagi-dango.” She did this to identify her as a maiko of Gion Kobu under eighteen as a warning to Shimada’s guests. By the time they were dressed and ready it was just after 5:45 pm. They barely had enough time to reach the tea house where the business meeting was being held.

Chapter 5
Chihiro’s debut.

Even though they were rushed Yasu refused to hurry. When Chihiro started to rush Yasu reprimanded her. “A maiko or geisha never rush Chihiro-Chan. Remember we are the embodiment of grace, beauty, and tranquility at all times.”

“Yes oneesan. I understand.” Chihiro answered her aunt as she slowed her pace to match that of her aunts. Not that she moving fast to being with. Chihiro already learned the hard way that walking in pokkuri sandals required more than just skill. It also required concentration and a graceful pace.

The car dropped them off at the edge of Japan Town with twenty minutes to go until the meeting. As the two walked through the streets Chihiro became more relaxed with each passing block. By the time they reached the Emperor’s tea house after just eight blocks they had attracted a good deal of attention. Word was rapidly spreading that there was a new maiko and she being mentored by the illusive and beautiful geisha Yasu Izumi. As they entered the tea house Yasu stopped her maiko.

“Word will spread quickly now. Everyone will be looking for a chance to spend an evening with you Chihiro. I imagine that my phone will be ringing nonstop with requests to book time on your schedule.” Yasu told her niece with a smile. “Naturally I will accompany you until your training is complete. Will done Chihiro.”

“Oneesan was that why you had the car drop us off on the edge of the district? So that you could parade me through the streets as an advertisement.” Chihiro asked.

“I know that it might sound vulgar, but this is the traditional way of announcing that I have taken a maiko. Do not worry about Shimada-san questioning my actions or taking appointments outside of work for him. He understands that part of my duties to you is to arrange parties for your training.” Yasu explained as she looked out at the street. “Now that we’ve had our little walk. The requests for your company will start coming in over the next few days. Don’t worry Chihiro I’ll only accept requests for weekends.”

Chihiro wasn’t sure about how she had been put on display but there was no changing it now. As they entered the door reserved for geisha and their maiko Chihiro was slightly surprised to find a genkan. She was even more surprised to find a male shoe porter in the room to help her with her pokkuri sandals. The reason for the surprise Chihiro was under the impression that only women would be allowed in this part of the tea house. The young man looked over at Yasu. “The room you reserved is ready, but your party has yet to arrive hostess Yasu.”

“Thank you Taichi. Allow me to introduce my niece and maiko Chihiro. She has only recently arrive from Kyoto to complete her training under me.” Yasu told the porter kindly. “Have our shamisens been placed in the room?”

“Of course, hostess. Though we were surprised by the arrival of two shamisen. Now that I have met your maiko it does explain why. Mistress Noriko will be upset with you hostess for not informing her of your maiko’s debut.” Taichi informed her.

“It was an unplanned debut Taichi. I had planned for her to make her debut during the New Year festival. That would have given me another few months in which to train her.” Yasu grumbled then looked towards the front of the tea house. “I hate short notice arrangements like the one this evening. Normally I have two to three days’ notice to plan something like this. If I had my normal lead time I could have arranged for at least two other geisha to work the party and left my maiko out until after her planned debut in January.”

“Oneesan, please stop. This is one situation that all the planning in the world could not have foreseen. I know that you didn’t plan for my debut to happen this way. All that we can do now is adapt to the situation. I also know that you won’t have chosen this time for my debut if you didn’t feel that I could perform.” Chihiro said with a slight bow of respect.

“Spoken like a true daughter of the Izumi family.” Yasu told the young maiko with a smile. “We are never ones to back down from a challenge.”

With that said the two women headed to the room reserved for the party. There they waited patiently for Shimada and his guests to arrive. When the man finally arrived, he was accompanied by his wife, and three American couples. They were escorting four teenage girls between the ages of 15 to 16. These last four guests brought a barely discernable frown to Yasu’s face. Only Chihiro spotted the frown and knew the reason behind it. Teenagers were not normally accepted in these types of social gatherings. Yasu and Chihiro knew Shimada had an alternative reason for this party.

As Shimada introduced the guests Chihiro quickly committed their names to memory. Over the next 3 hours Yasu and Chihiro plied their trade as entertainers. Each took turns playing their shamisen while the other danced. The first time that Chihiro flirted with one of the male quests she was nervous. She quickly overcame her nervousness by watching her aunt out of the corner of her eye. By carefully watching her aunt Chihiro learned the secrets of how geisha flirt with their guests. Chihiro also learned how to deal with female guests from her aunt.

At the end of the diner Shimada thanked Yasu for a wonderful evening. Shimada praised Chihiro for her excellent performance as he slipped her a small white envelope. Chihiro placed the envelope inside the sleeve of her kimono as she bowed to the man respectfully. Chihiro wouldn’t open the envelope until she was back home in her aunt’s apartment. It wouldn’t be the only envelope she received that evening. Each of the male guests slipped the young maiko one of the small white envelopes.

When they finally reached home that evening Chihiro showed the four envelopes to her aunt. “Oneesan, do you know why was I given these?”

“It is customary for guests attending the debut of a new maiko to present her with a small token of appreciation. Why don’t we find out what they gave you?” Yasu said with a small smile as she opened the envelope from Shimada. “Oh my! I wasn’t expecting this. It seems that Shimada-san has paid your school tuition for the next three years. He must have been truly impressed by you Chihiro-chan.”

The next three envelopes held gifts of a similar nature. The first was a gift certificate to a jewelry store for five hundred dollars. The other two were gift certificates to a hair salon and a custom kimono shop in Japan town. “I would say that your debut was a grand success Chihiro-chan.”

“Thank you Oneesan. Can you tell me why Shimada-san would allow the other couples to bring their daughters to what was very obviously a business diner?” Chihiro asked her honestly.

“That was not something that I was expecting Chihiro-chan. It seems that OUR danna was showing off this evening.” Yasu sighed angerly.

“I take that being the danna for both a geisha and her maiko is a major deal?”

“Big enough to drive the point home that Shimada-san was the real power at the party. As for the four teenage girls. I now know the reason behind Shimada-san’s sudden request to meet you. This evening’s diner party was a warning to all four of those girls. It seems that their parents have become upset with their daughters to the point that they are thinking of selling them to an okiya in Japan.” Yasu grunted at the traditional threat for punishing misbehaving young girls.

“Is that even legal Aunt Yasu?” Chihiro asked her in shock.

“That is a yes and no situation Chihiro. Yes that it is still an accepted practice in Japanese society. No in that the Japanese Government has passed laws against the selling of children to okiya. The problem lies with the age of consent. In Japan a maiko can begin training fulltime at fifteen.” The second Yasu explained the age of consent to Chihiro the teenager understood.

“Then what Shimada-san did was more than just a warning. He was offering a way for the parents of those four girls to regain face.” Chihiro sighed.

“Very likely Chihiro-chan. We may never know the details of what happened for them to have angered Shimada-san. What I do know is that would be something he would do. In the local community our damiana is well known for his temper.” Yasu warned her niece. “Whatever happens do not be surprise that come Monday morning there are four new students at your school.”

“Yes ma’am.” Chihiro said before yawning. “Please forgive my rudeness oneesan. I’m afraid that the excitement of the day is finally catching up to me.”

“You have nothing to apologize for Chihiro-chan. I remember how tired I felt after my debut. I’m actually surprised that you didn’t fall asleep during the ride home.” Yasu giggles lightly as Chihiro blushed. “Come along. We’ll get cleaned up and head to bed. Today has been a long one for both us.”

Chapter 6
The return of FBI SSA Lee Cutter.

In the weeks leading up to the New Year Festival Chihiro and Yasu attended two to three parties every weekend. It happened just as Yasu said it would. The Monday following her debut Yasu was bombarded with telephone calls. Word had reached every prominent Japanese businessperson in San Francisco of the new maiko from the Hanami-koji-dori in Gion, Kyoto. Yasu was even asked for her and Chihiro to perform during the New Year’s Festival. Which she accepted as she knew it would be great exposure for her niece. It was this notoriety that drew the attention of the FBI.

When Shimada requested for them to host a tea party for a group of Businessmen from Virginia on the 1st Friday of the New Year she thought nothing of it. As they waited for the party arrive Chihiro asked who they were entertaining. Yasu just smiled. “A group of Americans from Virginia. Shimada-san is most likely trying to impress them. Nothing we haven’t done before Chihiro.”

“Yes ma’am oneesan. Don’t you ever wonder what their deals are about?” Chihiro asked with real curiosity.

“That is never our concern imouto-san.” Yasu told her niece with a small smile. “That doesn’t mean I don’t put what I overhear to use in the stock market.” About that time the sounds of their party could be heard arriving. “Time to greet our guests imouto-san. Remember they might understand Japanese. Watch what you say.”

They bowed slightly from the waist in greeting as the first man entered the room. As the first three men moved to take their places around the guest table Chihiro noticed that each was dressed similarly. Dark gray or black suits with white shirts and black ties. This by itself didn’t give her a clue as to what type of business the men were in, but the last man answered why they were there. Even as she bowed to greet FBI Special Agent Lee Cutter Chihiro was fighting to remain calm.

“Ms. Izumi I’m SSA Lee Cutter. With me are US District Attorneys Theo Sutton from the Department of Justice, Special Agent Jonathan Richards with the DOJ’s Organized Crime Division, and Sean Thurman of the US Marshals Wit-Sec Division.” Once their guests had taken their places around the table. Cutter had produced his credentials for Yasu and made introductions. “I know this is highly usual, but it was felt this was the safest way to contact you and your niece.”

“I see. May I know as to the reason for this meeting Agent Cutter?” Yasu demanded. “As it is I had to make arrangements for moving an extremely influential client to next week to accommodate you and these gentlemen. Understand that both mine and my maiko’s time is at a premium.”

“Look lady. We don’t have time for pandering to the whims of a whore.” Richards snarled. “When we call. You haul your ass.”

“Chihiro this meeting is over. Gather your things. We’re going home.” Yasu ordered.

“Don’t even fucking move sister. We’re nowhere near done with your asses.” Richards ordered them both. “You move and I’ll arrest your asses for prostitution.”

“Richards will you shut your fucking mouth.” Cutter snarled before turning and bowing slightly to Yasu. “Please ignore that fool’s ignorance of your profession. As for your time. You and your niece will be compensated for this evening.”

“Agent Cutter as you have at least shown some understanding of our profession I’ll hear you out. That man on the other hand can leave. I will not stand for someone insulting me or my niece.” Yasu snarled. “Chihiro we’re staying for now.”

“Thank you, Ms. Izumi.” Cutter told her then turned to Richards. “Get the fuck out now asshole before I file another round of charges.”

“Cutter why are you cuddling this nip whore? We should be running their asses in on racketeering charges.” Richards snapped. Only to have DA Theo Sutton punch him.

“Richards let me be perfectly clear on this matter. Ms. Izumi and her niece practice a traditional and honorable profession. They are highly trained entertainers not prostitutes. They do not sell their bodies. Only their skills as entertainers. Now get your ass out of here before you make matters worse. It’s bad enough that your office had the leak.” Sutton growled. When Richards didn’t move right away Sutton turned to Deputy Thurman. “Marshal escort the agent from the premises.”

“You may be the DA in charge of this case Sutton, but the DOJ is has jurisdiction.” Richards snapped. “If I want that little slut behind bars. That is where she’s going. There is nothing you can do about it.”

“That is where you are wrong agent. As of eleven am this morning the Organized Crime Division of the DOJ no longer has anything to do with this case.” Thurman grunted. “The only reason you’re even near this case right now. Is because someone in your office opened their mouth and endangered the witness. A witness my Deputies have spent the last year watching over. A witness that now has a fucking one-point-five-million bounty on their head. ALL THANKS TO A DRUNKEN FUCK UP IN YOUR OFFICE!”

“Wait I thought it was only fifty-thousand.” Chihiro gasped. “How did it get so high? I haven’t even gone to court yet.”

“Until four months ago Chihiro we weren’t planning on having you testify in court because you were a minor. That all changed with the arrests of David Marquese’s gang and your birthday. Originally we had expected them to go down in a hail of gunfire. Instead, they surrendered peacefully.” Cutter sighed as he explained the change in the situation. “They’ve hired a real shyster for their defense lawyer. The piece of shit has already filled motions against you testifying. They’re challenging your mental competence, and because you’re now old enough to testify in court, your previous deposition. In short the man wants to put you on the stand.”

“If I’m not there then he can challenge the legality of my deposition. He could have it thrown out of court on the grounds that Agent Cutter coached me in my answers. By having me undergo a psychological evaluation he can challenge my mental fitness to undergo cross examination.” Chihiro surmised quickly.

“You said she was smart Cutter. You didn’t tell me she was a legal prodigy.” Sutton grunted before he turned to Chihiro. “Are you sure you want to be a geisha Miss?”

“Thank you for the complement but I’m no prodigy sir. I used to watch a lot of those detective and forensic shows before I started training as a maiko.” Chihiro told him with a small bow of her head.

“Young lady you don’t learn that kind of courtroom strategy by watching TV shows. You must have done some privet study of the law at some point.” Sutton snorted.

“Mister Sutton I can honestly say that if my niece says she never studied the law. Not even in her own time. Then you should believe her. However, I will say that she is gifted with a singular intellect. One that has allowed her to not only catch up to but outpace the other students in her class.” Yasu told the man with a small smile of pride for her niece. “Will the judge issue a subpoena for Chihiro?”

“It has already been issued. I was unable to convince the judge to overrule the defense. I was able to arrange for her to testify in a closed courtroom before just judge, jury, defense counsel, and myself.” Thurman answered honestly.

“Could this be an attempt to get me out into the open?” Chihiro asked.

“That is always a concern with high profile witnesses, Miss.” Thurman sighed. “The problem is that in your situation the concern is higher than normal.”

“Marshal Thurman is understating the danger Chihiro. Thanks to a leak in Agent Richard’s department the Marquese gang have your description and a picture of your old face.” Cutter explained for her. “As the only person who can actually identify them at the scene of their crimes. Chihiro just became more than just a star witness for the DA’s case, but the linchpin. Without her testimony the case falls apart.”

“I see. When does she need to be back on the east coast?” Yasu asked.

“In three days.” Cutter answered for Sutton. “The downside is that as her guardian you will need to accompany her Ms. Izumi.”

“Hold on here. I thought that under the law I was protected from cross examination because of my age.” Chihiro snapped. “You already have my sworn testimony use it. That should have been enough, but no. You needed me to testify in court against these animals. Because of your bullshit. I’ve already lost my name, my family, my face, my very gender, because of this shit. What am I going to lose next? That doesn’t even count the one-point-five dollar bounty on my head.”

“Chihiro you need to understand the situation here.” Cutter began only to be stopped by a very irate Chihiro. The teenager was in tears as she reached across the table slapping the man as hard as she could in anger.

“SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU LYING ASSHOLE!” Chihiro screamed just before breaking down in soul wrenching sobs in the arms of Yasu.

“Gentlemen this discussion is over. I suggest that you leave.” Yasu order them.

“Not without my witness.” Richards snapped. “I don’t care what that little slut has supposedly lost. Her ass is going back to Ohio with me tonight. She will be in that court room three days from now. Either voluntarily or in handcuffs.”

“You can try to force the issue Agent Richards.” Yasu grunted then grinned as two men stepped into the room. “But you’ll find that you won’t take one step towards my niece or me. Not if you want to continue to eat solid food.”

“Just what the hell does that mean?” Richards snarled as he took in the two men.

“It means that we’re not in the United States any more Richards.” Thurman sighed. “I warned you idiots not to push matters in the Nihonmachi. To not play games with these people but you just won’t listen.”

“What are you talking about? The last time I looked San Francisco was still in the US.” Richards told him then took a good look at the two new commers. “Oh shit.”

“Mistress Yasu has put an end this gathering gentlemen. I suggest that you leave and not come back.” One of them ordered.

“I’m not going anywhere without my witness.” The sound of a sword sliding from its scabbard was loud enough to stop Sutton’s rant.

“Sutton let me be clear on this matter. These gentlemen are here on orders from the local Oyabun. If you don’t understand what that means I’ll explain in small words. They’re yakuza and you just threatened two of Japan’s national treasures. They’ll have no problems with removing our heads and mailing them to our respective home offices.” Thurman told them all coldly. Turning to Cutter he let his anger over the situation heat his words. “Cutter I don’t know what you pulled back in Ohio. Frankly I don’t give a shit. But whatever else happens. You better find a way to get by with just that girl’s recorded and sworn testimony.”

“That is not up to him Marshal.” Sutton snapped then looked over at the two geisha. “I’ll be back with an arrest warrant for you and your niece. You can either come peacefully or in chains. Either way you will be in that courtroom.”

“Counselor take some advice. Leave the Izumi family alone. You do not want to make an enemy of the Tenjin-ya clan. Hachiyo Ōdanna does not take kindly to threats against our National Treasures.” A new yakuza told them as he entered the room. “Mistress Yasu there is a car outside for you and niece.”

“Thank you, Byakuya.” Yasu said as she helped the still crying Chihiro to her feet. As they were leaving Yasu gave Cutter a glare that only a mother could give. “Agent Cutter I suggest you find a way to use my niece’s recorded testimony. Because she won’t be entering that courtroom.” With the three yakuza acting as escorts Yasu and Chihiro left the teahouse.

Chapter 7
Teahouse confrontation.

When it was just the four of them Thurman punched Richards in the mouth. “YOU STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLE! YOU ALMOST GOT US ALL KILLED!”

“HOW CAN YOU BE SO GOD DAMNED FUCKING CLUELESS?” Cutter shouted before rounding on Sutton. “Sutton I don’t care what happens next, but you will leave that girl alone. The FBI and the Department of Justice has failed that child enough.”

“Damn it Cutter. Without direct testimony from that girl in court. Our whole case will fall apart. If I have to have her arrested and dragged into in handcuffs to get that testimony. Then that is what will happen.” Sutton snapped. “And no yakuza thug is going to get in the way of that happening.”

“What about the Japanese National Government?” Thurman asked him coldly.

“Doesn’t matter what they want. That girl is a US citizen. If I want her ass in that courtroom then that is where she’ll be.” Sutton grunted.

“That is where you’re wrong Sutton. I doubled checked this afternoon. Chihiro Izumi is a Japanese national. Not just any Japanese national either.” Thurman chuckled and gave Cutter a sly smile. “You did too good of a job in setting up her cover.”

“What are you talking about Marshal?” Cutter asked in confusion. “She’s still a US citizen. No matter what that passport and visa say.”

“You made one mistake Cutter. Someone in your office got a Japanese birth certificate issued in the name of Chihiro Izumi. Daughter of Chiharu Izumi, granddaughter of Chiaki Izumi retired geisha and now okā-san for the Izumi okiya. Thanks to that birth certificate and with the help of her family that girl is now the direct heir to her grandmother’s okiya. As Chiaki Izumi’s atotori Chihiro is by Japanese law a national cultural treasure.” Thurman explained for the other three men harshly. “If the Japanese Government demands it. We would have to escort her and her aunt to the airport. Place them on a direct flight back to Japan while paying for first class tickets and service. Out of our own fucking pockets gentlemen.”

“Oh fuck. Just how big of an International cluster fuck are we talking about here Thurman?” Cutter asked as he sat back heavily.

“What are you two talking about?” Sutton asked in confusion.

“I’ll use really small words for you Sutton. Supervisory Special Agent Cutter and the people in his office screwed the dog in a major way. In their hurry to setup an iron clade cover for your witness made her a citizen of Japan. Normally this would not be a problem, but they used the child’s actual family heritage for her background story. A family of geisha going back to the beginning of the Meiji era. Chihiro Izumi’s family are one of only twenty-seven geisha families in all of Japan that have been honored as National Treasures. The fact that her mother left the life of a geisha to marry an American was tantamount to a national scandal. If it hadn’t been for Yasu Izumi agreeing to act as Fujio Shimada personal geisha for the last few years. There would have been no way for them to save their family honor. Now we have a granddaughter being trained as maiko by her aunt to take the place of her mother. A granddaughter that has Japanese citizenship thanks to Agent Cutter’s personnel’s overly enthusiastic response in building her building her cover story.” Thurman snorted as he looked over at Cutter. “You should have left the job to the pros in Wit-Sec this time Lee.”

“What does that mean for my case?” Sutton asked finally understanding the situation.

“Unless you figure out a way to use only her recorded and sworn statement you’re screwed. Because that is one witness that is no longer accessible.” Thurman grunted.

“We’ll fucking see about that shit. One phone call to ICE and by this time tomorrow those two whores will be behind bars with their visas revoked.” Richards snarled as he stood up. “Thurman you’ll be hearing from IA for striking a fellow officer.”

“Richards let me be perfectly clear on this matter. You go anywhere near those women. You’ll instigate an International Incident. If you’re stupid enough to call ICE on them with some trumped charges. I’ll personally fry your ass in court. It’s bad enough that kid has been put through hell because of your office.” Sutton growled. “This whole fucking investigation has been one cluster fuck after another.”

“Sutton I might know of a way to insure Chihiro’s recorded testimony can be used.” Cutter chuckled as he looked over at Richards. “Thanks to this shithead’s ego.”

“What are you talking about Cutter? The judge’s orders were clear as day. We either produce our witness for cross examination by the defense counsel or he be forced to exclude her testimony on the grounds of hearsay.” Sutter told him bluntly.

“Thurman gave us part of the answer and Richards the other part. The Izumis are Japanese National Treasures. We do exactly what Richards suggested. We call ICE and arrange for their deportation. Because of their protected status as National Treasures the Japanese Government has to be notified and will intercede on their behalf. Within four hours of their arrest, they’ll be on a flight bound for Japan.” Cutter explained with a slowly growing smile. “Once they’re out of the country the judge will have no choice but to accept her testimony as admissible.”

“What? You’re just going to stand and let those whores get away with making fools of us. You have got to be shitting me? That fucking little cunt is going back to Ohio with me in irons. Fuck that bullshit about so called National Treasures. They’re nothing more than High-priced call girls.” Richards snapped as he turned to storm out of the teahouse. He hadn’t taken two steps before he was stopped.

“Agent Richards you were warned to stay away from the Izumi family. In the last half hour, I have heard you insult their good name and profession. You have continued to pursue the ideal of arresting them on the grounds of prostitution. You believe that your office has the final word in this situation. You are sadly mistaken.” The Japanese gentleman that entered the room was extremely well dressed. Handing a business card to Sutton the man continued to address Richards. “Your pathetic attempts at trying to control my geisha and her maiko end now.”

“Just who the fuck do you think you are buddy?” Richards snarled.

“Right now, I’m the man that is keeping you and your fellow law enforcement office alive. Within the Nihonmachi district of San Francisco I’m known as Hachiyo Ōdanna. Leader of the Tenjin-ya clan. To the rest of the world, I’m know as Fujio Shimada.” The soft growl in Shimada’s voice did nothing to hide the steel behind the hidden threat. He turned to Cutter and Sutton. “I will expedite Yasu and Chihiro’s return home gentlemen. On one condition.”

“Listen here Shimada. The Department of Justice doesn’t make deals with gangsters. We put them behind bars. We don’t coward to threats.” Richards was cut off in the middle of his rant by Sutton.

“Richards I have had enough of you and your bullshit. Marshal Thurman, Special Agent Cutter do your duty. Arrest this asshole. I’ll let you know the charges when I get back to the Federal Building. But you can start with endangerment of a Federally Protected Witness and interference with a Federal Investigation.” Sutton ordered the other two men. As Cutter and Thurman secured Richards and removed him from the building Sutton turned to Shimada. “What is your condition Mister Shimada?”

“Over the last several years I have been Yasu Izumi’s danna. I have invested a considerable amount of funds in supporting her. This has been a very beneficial arrangement for the both us.” Shimada began then chuckled as Sutton realized that his department was about to payout a massive reparation. “No need to worry Counselor. I have been prepared for Yasu’s return to her home for some time now. No, my concern is for her maiko. When she leaves here with her aunt. She will lose my patronage. A maiko’s training is extremely expensive and she only a third of the way through that training. Yasu should not be forced to take on such a considerable financial expense on her own. Not when the situation was brought about your judicial system.”

“I think I understand sir. Would a monthly stipend of two-thousand dollars cover Chihiro’s living costs and complete her training?” Sutton asked not realizing how expensive a maiko’s training could be. When he saw the look on Shimada’s face he changed tactics. “What would you suggest as far compensation sir?”

“You should understand that half of a maiko’s earnings go to their oneesan until their debut as a full geisha. The costs of their training plus living expenses and everything else they need for their profession can run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. To give you a perspective on the debt. It costs less to send a child through medical school then to train a geisha. Chihiro still has at least three years before her erikae. Now that Yasu will be turning to Kyoto with her niece. She will have to shoulder that burden.” Shimada explained for Sutton.

“Would three-hundred-thousand cover the cost?” Sutton asked him quickly.

“Six-hundred-thousand would be a more realistic figure.” Shimada countered.

“I can get four-hundred-thousand sir.” Sutton argued.

“Five-hundred-thousand and no less sir.” Shimada grunted. “It’s that or I go to the press with what I know. Imagine the scandal when people learn how your department treated an underage witness in your care. If the courts don’t demand your head. They’ll at least have you disbarred.”

“I can arrange for a onetime payment of four-hundred-fifty-thousand but no more. If you’ll settle for a payment of one-hundred-twenty-five-thousand paid once a year over the next five years. I can guarantee the original six-hundred-thousand offer.” Sutton countered quickly. He knew exactly how expensive it was for medical school.

“If you are willing to make payments. I would like to make a counteroffer.” Shimada said with a small smile. “Chihiro has at least four more years before her erikae. As such I would propose a yearly payment of one-hundred-fifty-thousand dollars. That would be equal to room, board, and tuition for an Ivy league college.”

“How would you like the payments arranged?” Sutton asked smiling.

“Place the full six-hundred-thousand in a trust with the Mizuho Bank in Tokyo. With the payments issued yearly on the first Monday of the New Year. With the final payment to include any accumulated interest. Is this acceptable?” Shimada asked.

“We have a deal, sir.” Sutton said as he held out his hand. He knew a deal when he heard one. After they shook hands Sutton smiled. “Shall we return to my office to draw up the paperwork?”

“After you, Counselor. Once the funds have been deposited and the paperwork is signed. I’ll notify Yasu of our agreement.” Shimada told him as they left.

Chapter 8
Reunion flight.

Chihiro could not believe how fast Shimada’s men packed up her belongings. She was even more surprised when they packed up her aunt’s belongings. Chihiro was sure the reason Shimada was sending them back to Japan was she had disgraced him and her aunt. If it hadn’t been for Shimada explaining that there was no loss of honor did Chihiro relax. She had been so afraid that her actions at the teahouse would reflect badly on her aunt and her danna.

It took Yasu explaining that her actions were more than expected and well within reason. Shimada actually chuckled when Chihiro apologized for her shameful behavior towards his guests. He explained that he had only arranged for the meeting as a favor for a friend in the local FBI Field Office. Once the young maiko was assured that she had not brought dishonor to him and her aunt. Shimada explained the deal he worked out with the US Department of Justice.

All of that had taken placed two day ago in Yasu’s apartment. That morning the two of them dressed in matching yukatas and kept their makeup subtle. Yasu instructed Chihiro to hand carry her flute and shamisen. At ten minutes after five in the morning they boarded the plane. As they passed though the aircraft’s door the lead stewardess took their shamisen and stored them in a special compartment in the galley area of the plane. She then directed them towards the business class section.

As they entered the business class section of the Japan Airlines 747-400 several businessmen greeted them kindly. It didn’t take long for Chihiro to realize that she and Yasu had performed for these men. Chihiro was surprised when her Aunt Yasu told them that they were returning to Kyoto to complete her training.

Because their trip to Osaka wasn’t a direct flight. They were schedule for a two hour layover in Honolulu after a five hour twenty minute flight. The second half was an eight hour, and forty-six minute flight was from Honolulu to Osaka. During the first half of their flight several of the businessmen talk Chihiro and Yasu into preforming for them. Chihiro now understood why her aunt had their shamisens and flutes in their carryon baggage. While a large number of the passengers were Japanese businessmen the majority were American tourists and businessmen.

When the two entertainers began to perform for their impromptu audience one of the Americans asked the stewardess about them. Word quickly spread among the American passengers that they were being treated to an extremely rare event. At first most didn’t realize how rare until one of the Japanese businessmen explained the situation. That a Kyoto trained geisha traveling outside of Japan was rare. To have one traveling with her maiko was absolutely unheard of.

For the next three hours the two geisha entertained their fellow passengers. When Yasu finally called an end to the performance the Americans and Japanese gave them a resounding applause. When the plane was still forty-five minutes out of Honolulu one of the Japanese businessmen asked for an envelope. The stewardess returned with four. Those four envelopes were passed from passenger to passenger. Before finally being returned to the stewardess.

When the plane landed in Honolulu the passengers were asked to deplane. As they were collecting their shamisens the stewardess hand Yasu the stuffed envelopes. Yasu quickly put them in her purse where they stayed until they were off the plane. Yasu quickly led them to a Japanese restaurant. There Yasu asked for a privet table. Once they were alone Yasu handed two of the stuffed envelopes to Chihiro.

“Go on and open them. You earned those.” With a shacking hand Chihiro pulled a stack of American dollar bills. On the other side of the table Yasu had opened her two envelopes. “Let see how much our fellow passengers apricated our little show.”

Giggling like schoolgirls they quickly counted out the crash which consisted mostly of twenty dollar bills. There were six fifty dollar bills in one of Chihiro’s envelopes. Yasu smiled at seeing those bills. “Those are most likely given by the Japanese businessmen who were our fellow passengers.”

“Has Chihiro mastered the art of conversation yet sister?” The voice was one Chihiro had not expected to ever hear again. She spun around in her seat to find her mother standing behind her smiling with pride. Chihiro was out of her seat hugging her mother so fast that she did pay attention to how her mother was dressed. “You’re playing and dancing was wonderful dear.”

“Haha what are you doing here?” Chihiro asked her still not taking in her mother’s dress. “Where is daddy and the boys?”

“Calm down dear.” Chiharu ordered her as she pushed her daughter back into her seat. “We have a lot to go over and not much time.”

“Haha what’s wrong?” Chihiro asked.

“There are a few things you should know, Chihiro. First off as of three days ago we have all been enrolled in the Witness Protection Program.” Chiharu explained for her daughter. “The Marshal decided that it would be easier to relocate me separately from your father and brothers because of our differences in race. Because of that and other factors I offered to join you and my sister.”

“Is that why you’re wearing a yukata?” Chihiro asked her mother after finally taking in the way her mother was dressed.

“That is part of it dear. The other part is that your father and I are getting a divorce.” Chiharu told her softly. “This last year has just been too stressful on your father and me. The final straw was when the store was firebombed last week. Agent Cutter connected the attack on the store as an attempt to draw you out of hiding. Your father and brothers blame you for the attack.”

“But they were the ones that pushed me to make a statement. Hell, dad practically pushed me into that interview room. They kept talking about how it was my civic duty to testify against those men. I tried to warn them that something like this could happen.” Chihiro almost snarled then sighed. “Sorry haha.”

“Don’t worry about it love. None of that is your fault. Your father and I have been drifting apart for some years now. If it hadn’t been this, it would have been something else.” Chiharu sighed then smiled. “As for why I decided to join you and my sister the reason is simple really. My green card status has been revoked.”

“What? Why? Can they do that?” Chihiro asked in shock.

“Let’s just say that your father made a few mistakes in paying our taxes. The fool thought that because we were married, and I had a green card I was a naturalized citizen. To be honest I thought the same thing.” Chiharu giggled behind her hand as her daughter groaned. “Anyway, nothing could have been further from the truth. Especially as far as the IRS is concerned.”

“Death and taxes. They’ll always get you in the end sister.” Yasu giggled.

“Yes they do.” Chiharu snorted as Chihiro fought to keep from facepalming. Seeing this Chiharu took pity on her daughter. “Between the divorce and the loss of my green card I’m coming out of retirement.”

“Oh sister. You’re finally returning to the okiya. How wonderful!” Yasu exclaimed.

“Calm yourself, Yasu. Remember where we are.” Chiharu snapped.

“Forgive me oneesan.” Yasu said quickly as she bowed her head respectfully to her older sister and onetime mentor in the ways of the geisha. “That was unbecoming of me and disrespectful of you.”

“You’re forgiven Yasu. Though your excitement is understandable. It has been sixteen years sense Chiharu Izumi last graced the teahouses of Kyoto.” She giggled. “I wonder if I can still draw the clients like I used to. After all, I might be getting too old for the teahouses.”

“Are you kidding me Chiharu? You’re only five years older than me. You have at least another five to ten years in you.” Yasu grunted. “Once word spreads within Kyoto’s Gion about the return of Springs with clear skies. Mother will be flooded with requests for an evening with you. When they learn that you have returned with a maiko the requests will triple. Especially when they learn that maiko is your daughter. You have told mother you’re returning home?”

“I’ve been talking with her about returning home for the last two years.” Chiharu honestly admitted much to Chihiro’s shock. “Yes dear. Your father and I have been having problems for some time now. None of this is your fault. We just grew apart.”

“Okay haha. Though I am sorry that daddy and the boys won’t be joining us.” Chihiro said sadly as she looked down at the table.

“That was their choice Chihiro. They were offered the chance to relocate twice with you. Yes dear you heard me. When you first went the FBI offered to place the whole family into Wit-Sec to keep us together. Your father and brothers turned the offer down because Talbot men don’t run from a fight. They weren’t given a choice the second time. The only reason I stayed the first time was to take care of them. I knew that you would be safe and taken care of if you were with Yasu.” Chiharu explained for her daughter. “I know that certain things were done without your consent Chihiro, but they were done for your protection.”

“I know that haha. I’m not angry about anything that was done. What I was angry about was being lied to by Agent Cutter.” Chihiro told her mother honestly then brought up a touchy subject. “Haha when we get to Kyoto I need to see a doctor.”

“That has already taken of Chihiro. Your grandmother has made arrangements with family friend who is a doctor. She’ll see you first thing Monday morning next week.” Chiharu explained putting her daughter’s worries to rest. “Knowing Aoi she’ll put you on a twelve month slow release hormone shot.”

“Mother got her in with Aoi without a consult. Wow. Talk about pulling strings.” Yasu gasped in real surprise.

“Haha why would this Doctor Aoi see me?” Chihiro asked her mother before dropping her voice as low as possible. “I mean I’m not a real girl.”

“Chihiro you won’t be the first shisutaabooi she has helped to become a maiko and later geisha. You most certainly won’t be the last.” Chiharu told her daughter. At Chihiro’s blank look Chiharu sighs and whispers just loud enough for her daughter to hear. “It is a highly guarded secret in the Gion. Sometimes when a son has so greatly dishonored their family. They are sold to an okiya to become taikomochi or male geisha. Most of these boys are between fourteen and fifteen. Though sometimes these boys come willingly to the okiyas. They are the shisutaabooi or sissy boys. They are also make the best maiko after visiting Doctor Aoi.”

“And I would be considered a shisutaabooi.” Chihiro said with a small giggle.

“Good girl. You catch on quick. Yasu I do hope that you held a misedashi ceremony for your niece before allowing her to perform.” Chiharu said as she looked at Yasu.

“No. Before you ask she did have a debut. I never had a chance to hold an official misedashi ceremony for her. Not that we could have held misedashi for her. The last time I looked our family’s okiya is in Kyoto, Japan. Something like eighty-six-hundred kilometers from San Francisco.” Yasu huffed as she glared at her sister.

“Good point. We’ll let mother know once we’re home safe and sound.” Chiharu said in agreement then looked up at the restaurant clock. “It’s almost time for us to meet our connecting flight. We’ll finish catching up during the flight.”

With the senior geisha leading the way. The three Izumi women headed for their connecting flight to Osaka, Japan. As they walked through the terminal the trio drew more than their fair share of the male attention. Though Chihiro drew a little more than her mother and aunt because of her sandals. Unlike them Chihiro still wore her okobo or high sandals marking her as a maiko. The fact that the three women also carried cloth wrapped musical instruments drew people’s attention. During the second half of their trip all three women traveled in first class. Because of this the other passengers left them alone. Allowing the mother and daughter to catch up on the last year of their lives.

Chapter 9
Hello Kyoto

Knowing that they were still facing a long day once they Kyoto. Chiharu made sure that her daughter slept during the last the last seven hours of their flight. It was just after two pm local time when they landed in Osaka. When the plan was twenty-minutes from landing the stewardess woke Chihiro with a hot cup of tea and warm cloth for her face. After they had deplaned and collecting their luggage, the three geisha their way towards immigration. Chihiro expected the customs officers to take their time and dig through her luggage with a fine toothed comb.

Instead, the customs officer just asked her if she was traveling with her oneesan. When Chihiro told him that she was traveling with both her mother and oneesan. The officer quickly asked her where they. Chihiro pointed to the other table where her mother was having her ass kissed by the officer who stupidly asked to inspect her trunks. Chihiro then grinned as she pointed to the table behind her where her Aunt Yasu simply placed her passport back in her purse after being stamped. Finally, the custom agent asked Chihiro who she was. Chihiro just pointed at her passport.

The man gulped as he read her name, then slammed his stamp down on her passport so hard. That the thump from the impact echoed across the room. At least that was what Chihiro thought. As she was putting her passport Chihiro looked over to see her mother also putting away her passport. It wasn’t until the three of them struggled to push their luggage carts towards the exit that Chihiro realized they had never opened one trunk. Not even those belonging to her mother.

As they exited the terminal the three women were greeted by one of Shimada’s Toyoko drivers. When he saw that each of the geishas traveled with eight 48inx24inx24.5in Accel wheeler trunks apiece. Shimada’s driver decided to hire one of the airport’s cargo vans to carry all of their luggage in one trip. When they went to enter the back seat of the car the driver handed Yasu a key to an apartment in in Kyoto. Yasu quickly handed it back to the man. She simply explained that he needed to take them directly to the Oginnoizumi okiya in the Gion. The van driver almost fell over in shock when he heard their final destination was the Golden springs okiya.

When they finally pulled away from Kansai International Airport Chihiro gasped in surprise. When Yasu asked what was wrong. Chihiro pointed out the window at the water. Chiharu chuckled as she was the first to realize what had shocked her daughter. After all you don’t find airports build on man-made islands in America. As they traveled the sixty-six miles to Kyoto. Chihiro was soon bewitched by the beauty of the Japanese countryside. Seeing her daughter’s reaction to her new home nation’s beauty Chiharu hid her smile behind a fan.

As they pulled into the Gion district of Kyoto the Chihiro’s excitement grew. Nothing could have prepared her for the sight of their final destination. From the outside the three story building didn’t really standout from its neighbors. As the two geisha and one maiko exited the car. They drew a great deal of attention. It wasn’t often that a limousine delivered someone to an okiya. The cargo van pulled to a stop behind the limousine they drew even more attention. Enough that the okasan or proprietress of the okiya stepped outside to investigate.

When the retired geisha saw her two daughters standing once more in front of her okiya. She broke down in tears and rushed to hug them. Blubbering over and over. “You’re home my butterflies. You’ve finally come home.”

“Haha I would like you to meet someone.” Chiharu told her smiling as she pulled Chihiro next to her. “This is your granddaughter and Yasu’s maiko Chihiro.”

“Welcome to your home, Chihiro.” Chiaki Izumi said as she studied her granddaughter. Before turning to Chiharu and lowering her voice to just above a whisper. “I thought that I only had a grandson, Chiharu. What is going on? Is this why you need to see Doctor Aio? Is my grandson a shisutaabooi?”

“I’ll explain everything once we are alone mother.” Chiharu whispered in return.

“Ren get out here girl.” Chiaki called back into the okiya. When the barely fourteen year old girl appeared she bowed to the four Izumi women. “Run down to Master Hikaru’s noddle stand. Tell him you need two men for thirty minutes of work.”

“Yes madam. I shall return shortly.” The young girl rushed down the street to carry out her Mistress’s orders. As she was doing this the driver of the cargo van was unloading the twenty-four traveling trunks.

“Momma I’ll stay out here with our luggage. While you and Aunt Yasu talk with grandmother.” Chihiro offered only to hear a chuckle from Chiaki.

“Ai I have a task for you.” Chiaki called inside once more. This time a young about sixteen stepped outside. Chihiro could tell that this shikomi-san, or girl-in-training, was in the last days of her minarai phase of training. “Please watch over my daughters’ and granddaughter’s luggage until it can be placed it in their rooms.”

“Yes madam.” The minarai said with a bow before turning to the newly arrived trio. With a deep and respectful bow, she greeted them. “Welcome home Mistresses.”

Once the trio had retired to the engawa at the back of the okiya. Chiaki pointed to several cushions then ordered. “Sit and tell me what is going on.”

Over the next ten minutes Chiharu gave her mother a quick recounting of Chihiro’s need to hide. She was interrupted by a soft knock on the fusuma proceeding the appearance of Ren. “Excuse me Madam. In which rooms do you want our new sisters’ luggage placed? There are the three empty rooms on the third floor.”

“Place their belongings in the family residence. There are four empty rooms on the second floor Ren. Place identically colored in the same room.” Chiaki ordered the girl who bowed and left them to continue their conversation. Once they were alone Chiaki sighed. “Worthless shisutaabooi. I should never have agreed to take her in.”

“Then why did you take her in mother? Surely she cannot be that bad?” Yasu asked.

“You’re right Yasu. Ren has only been here for several months and is still struggling with the prospect of being a maiko. As for why I took her in. I did it as a favor for Aoi Nagata.” Chiaki told them then went on to explain that when Ren was thirteen he had been in an accident that had left him castrated. With his prospects for having a peaceful school life limited Aoi asked Chiaki to train her son as a geisha. In doing so it would alleviate a great financial burden on the Nagata family.

“Mother I think Chihiro might be able to help you with Ren. She is after all in a comparable situation.” Yasu told her mother.

“I can only hope.” Chiaki sighed then turned serious. “Yasu you have been acting as Chihiro’s oneesan. You will continue to do so.”

“Mother we do have one problem. Chihiro has been acting as a full maiko but has never had her misedashi ceremony. Also, she doesn’t belong to an okiya.” Yasu explained to mother as she bowed her. “I was placed in a situation where I needed a second geisha or a maiko on short notice by Shimada-san.”

“Say no more Yasu. Take the rest of the day to unpack and put things away. I’ll arrange for an ozashiki to held at the Lotus Blossom teahouse tomorrow night. You and Chiharu will escort your maiko around to the other teahouses we use. Make sure to introduce her and yourselves to each proprietress. A few of the ones you knew have retired. This will be good for all three of you.” Chiaki told them. About that time Ren stepped onto the engawa with a tray holding a pot of hot water, and four teacups. “Thank you, Ren. You may serve us.”

As the minarai went through the tea ceremony Chiharu watched her like a hawk. When Ren finished and handed the first cup to Chiaki. Chiharu grinned and asked. “Mother does Ren have a oneesan yet?”

“No sadly. She has been ready for the last two months to take the next step in her training. I would have held her misedashi ceremony last month but with the increase of new maiko in the district. There just aren’t enough geisha to training them all. Because the Gion Five Hanamachi Geisha Association refuses to let a geisha mentor more than one maiko at time. Many of our minarai are going to the hanamachis in other cities. Until the local association changes it’s one-to-one rule this trend will not end soon. Why do you ask Chiharu?”

“I have been watching Ren. If she is willing to listen to my instructions, follow the rules I set for her, and learn what I can teach. I’ll accept her as my maiko.” Chiharu offered to the total surprise of both her mother and Ren. “What better way than to announce the return of the daughters to the Sparkling light fountain. Then to hold a misedashi ceremony for their two new maiko?”

“Well, Ren. You have just been offered the chance of a lifetime. The Springs with clear skies has just offered to be your oneesan.” Chiaki asked the stunned girl with a light chuckle. “I will warn you now. My oldest is a true task Mistress. So much so that she had her sister function as her daughter’s oneesan.”

“R…R…R…Really m…ma…madam?” The poor minarai asked with an excited studder.

“Tomorrow morning your days of as a shikomi-san are over.” Chiaki told her with a reassuring smile before turning back to Chiharu. “Do not worry about her studder nagaona. The only time it very appears is when Ren has been caught by surprise.”

“Mother do we have enough darari obis for two maiko featuring the crest identifying our okiya?” Yasu asked her mother. “Between Chihiro and now Ren. That will give our okiya six active maiko. I don’t think we’ve ever had that many.”

“That is where you’re wrong Yasu. We will only have three active maiko. Ayi, Ena, and Katsumi have all left the okiya. Each for their own reasons. Though Aya might return to us in a year or so. Over the next two weeks Sumiko and Tamami will have their erikae ceremony and moved onto being full geiko. That will leave only Ren, Chihiro, and Yuka.” Chiaki explained for her two daughters. “Now you three have luggage to unpack and put away. You also need to get something to eat, a bath, and sleep. You all have a very long day tomorrow.”

Chapter 10
The misedashi ceremony.

The next morning at breakfast both teenagers were treated as full sisters by the resident geishas and the two senior maiko. After dressing in yukatas with their hair down Chihiro, and Ren headed for the hairdresser used by the okiya. They didn’t go alone. Chiaki acted as their escort along with the two senior maiko. Sumiko and Tamami were as excited as Ren. This was a day the two older maiko had been looking forward to for the last year as much a Ren. After forty-seven minutes the two junior maikoes had their natural hair done in the wareshinobu hairstyle.

This was the first hairstyle that all maiko wear. Like all hairstyles for maiko it featured a red piece of cloth tied in the front called a Chinkoro, which is a physical representation of their childhood and immaturity. The wareshinobu style is characterized by the iconic bun that has a red piece of cloth tied through it to match the chinkoro. There was a special hair ornament known as a kanokodome worn in the center of this bun as a show of opulence.

With her junior maikoes hair now done Chiaki escorted them back to okiya. Before they Chiaki ordered to Sumiko and Tamami to stay behind. They were to have their own hair combed out and reset in the Sakkō style. When the two senior maiko hear this they knew that they were near the end of their apprenticeship.

That afternoon after taking a quick bath both girls began to apply their makeup for the evening. As today was to be their misedashi both Ren and Chihiro wore formal outfits owned by the okiya called Kuromontsuki. To help the geisha and maiko dress the okiya brought in four otokoshi. These were men who were professional dressers for geisha and maiko. The sheer length and weight makes tying the obi a man’s job. They are the only men ever allowed inside the privet areas of an okiya.

To emphasize their youthful age and purity of the new maiko their chests like all maikoes was suppressed. One of the main differences between the kimonos of a maiko and geisha is the color of the collar they wear. Maiko wear a red collar and geisha wear a white-collar. The other main difference is the style of kimono. Maiko wear a long-sleeved kimono with special tucks placed in the shoulders, called Kata Age, and the sleeves, called Sode Age, so that they could grow into them. Although no longer needed, maiko continue to wear kimono with these tucks to this day to show that they are still children. The long sleeves, known as Furisode.

In contrast, geisha wear kimono with shorter sleeves called Kosode, which is a sign that they are mature women who no longer need to grab attention with their flashy outfits. Both wear a special type of kimono called a Hikizuri, which refers to the kimono’s extra-long hem that allows them to wear it while dragging along the floor.

The moment she began dressing for the day. Chihiro realized that this was a turning point in her young life. As she pulled on the red nagajuban with its distinctive red collar. Chihiro knew that she would never again wear western style clothing in her life. She was taking her official steps to becoming a geisha. Like her mother, grandmother, great grandmother, and great, great grandmother before her. Chihiro knew that one day she would become the okasan of this okiya after her mother. As hee otokoshi tied off the seven meter long obi Chihiro was beginning to have second thoughts. Until now she had never worn forty-four pounds worth of clothing.

As she exited her room Chihiro was met by her mother. “Ready for your debut?”

“Honestly haha, no.” Chihiro giggled then took a deep breath. “Where is Aunt Yasu? I thought that she would be my escort.”

“She is collecting Ren for me. I wanted to give you something especial before we leave.” Chiharu showed her a jade hairpin with the shape of a cherry blossom at the end. “This kanzashi has been in our family for six generations. It has been worn by every Izumi daughter during her misedashi. It was given to your great, great, grandmother by the original okasan of this okiya at her misedashi. It is more than one-hundred-and-fifty years old and can only be worn by the Izumi women.”

As Chiharu told Chihiro the history behind the pin. She carefully placed it behind her daughter’s bun next to her scalp. As Chiharu pulled her hands away from the pin. Chihiro’s otokoshi stepped out of the room and gasped in surprise. “By the Goddess. The Springs with clear skies has returned with a daughter.”

“Hello Mister Humira. It has been a long time. I hope my daughter didn’t cause you any problems?” Chiharu said as she bowed to the older gentleman in greeting.

“It has been eighteen years and five months since you last graced the Gion hanamachi Mistress Chiharu. We had thought to never see you again. Now we know why.” Humira said with a smile as he nodded towards Chihiro. “You have a well behaved and beautiful daughter Mistress Chiharu. One that will bring much honor to your family.”

“Thank you, sir. We are holding hers and my maiko’s misedashi today.” She told him with real pride in her voice.

“She is not your maiko. Then who is her oneesan? Surely not your mother.” He asked.

“That honor belongs to me Mister Humira.” Yasu giggled from behind him.

“By the Goddess both of you have returned! And with maikoes! The Gion hanamachi will be celebrating by midnight. Just to have The Springs of the tranquil one and the Springs of clear skies returned to us is reason to celebrate.” The old man gushed. “But for you to have returned with maiko is unbelievable. I cannot wait to tell my wife and family.”

“Then I suggest you hurry to spread the word. We shall be leaving shortly.” Yasu told him with a friendly smile. “Time to go.”

As the four entertainers descended the stairs Mr. Humira pulled out his cellphone. He called the one person who would get the word out faster than a TV broadcast. His wife. By the time the foursome reached the genkan Mrs. Humira was already phoning her teahouse. As Chihiro stepped into her okobo sandals she heard the tinkling sound of bells. At first the tinkling bells was unsettling for her as they drew a great deal of attention to Chihiro. That was until they passed another maiko and she heard the same tinkling bells. As they left the okiya Chihiro noticed that it had been brightly decorated in red and white to celebrate their debut.

Ren saw the look of confusion on Chihiro’s face and quickly figured out what was bothering her fellow maiko. “Don’t worry Chihiro-chan. Among the locals our bells is called the sound of Kyoto streets. They expect to hear them when a maiko passes.”

As part of the ceremony. They were escorted to visit their various teachers and tea houses to participate in a cup exchange ritual with their oneesan as well as other geiko and the senior maiko from their okiya. Normally this would have been grounds enough for celebration in the Gion hanamachi. But with the return of the two sisters with maiko the reasons for celebrating were raised to new heights.

Chapter 11
Family reunion.

For the next year Ren, Yuko, and Chihiro were the only maiko within the Oginnoizumi okiya. During that time, she was able to help Ren come to terms with her situation. Once Ren learned that Chihiro had also once been a boy. She quickly formed a fast friendship with the other shisutaabooi. Like all maiko the three girls spend a great deal of their time studying traditional Japanese arts and hospitality skills.

As a maiko, the girls would spend hours attending classes to practice and develop their skills each day. The focus of their studies include singing, dancing, and playing musical instruments. Additionally, they become skilled in calligraphy and flower arrangement. Beyond these art forms, they focused on mastering the art of conversation and hosting tea ceremonies.

Of the three Chihiro had a head start in her studies. Because of this Chiaki would often have her granddaughter tutor the other two maiko. Because of her skill with musical instruments Chihiro chose to specialize in music. Because of this specialization Chihiro earned the right to be called a jikata. Ren and Yuko went the other route by specializing in dance earning the right to be called a tachikata.

When Ai finally joined them as a maiko the younger teenager decided to follow Chihiro’s example. Chiaki was beside herself with joy. With two jikata and two tachikata maikoes in her okiya she was flooded with requests. It didn’t take long for Chihiro, Ren, Ai, and Yuko to build a loyal base of repeat clients.

As the senior maiko by one year Yuko was the first to change her hairstyle. Chihiro and Ren could only watch in envy as Yuko styled her hair in the Ofuku style for the first time. The new hairstyle is characterized by a triangular piece of cloth pinned into the back of the hair. The cloth called a Tegara. With at least another year to go Chihiro and Ren redoubled their efforts to master their skills. When the time came for the two shisutaabooi to finally graduate to the Ofuku style two years and four months had passed. That same Yuko also changed her hairstyle one last time to the Sakkō style letting the world know that she was finally at the end of her apprenticeship. During this last year Yuko learned to perform a special dance named Kurokami, meaning “Black Hair,” to show her newfound womanhood.

At nineteen they were more female than male anymore. Last vestige of their old sex was nothing more than a flaccid piece of flesh. That’s only use was for urinating. Yet both girls weren’t ready to take that ultimate step and undergo SRS. Four days before Yuko was to part take in a special ceremony known as Danpatsu Shiki she and Chihiro had received a special request to perform for a group of American tourists. As the request had come through the Lotus Blossom teahouse Chiharu and Chiaki saw no reason to deny the request. As they were both senior maiko and Yuko would soon join the ranks of geisha Chiaki felt that they could handle the event alone.

As they entered the Lotus Blossom teahouse they were greeted the owner. She politely informed them that the clients were running twenty minutes late. At first this upset Yuko. She had good reason to be upset as she would normally have a two other banquets planned for the evening. Though she quickly calmed down when the owner offered to compensate the two senior maikoes for their time. The owner also promised to schedule two more banquets for them later on in the week. With the professional etiquette resolved the two maiko quickly moved into the banquet room and began to set up for their evening performance.

When their clients finally arrived they both stood to greet them. Everything went according to normal until the last three men entered the room. Chihiro frozen in stunned recognition of the men. How could she not recognize her father and brothers. “Dad, Mike, Greg! What are you doing here?”

“I’m sorry miss do we know you?” Mike asked with real confusion. Only to get slapped in the back of the head by their father. “Damn dad what was that for?”

“Boy if you don’t starting showing respect for your sister. I’ll personally pound you into hamburger.” Virgil Talbot snarled at his oldest son before turning to Chihiro. Bowing deeply from the waist and in perfect Japanese he asked. “Please forgive your oniisan for his lack of etiquette choujo.”

“There is nothing to forgive chichi. Mike is just being honest. Stupid but honest.” Chihiro smirked as her father chuckled.

“Jason? Is that you?” Greg asked in surprise.

“Chihiro do you know these men?” Yuko asked from behind her.

“Yuko-chan allow me to make introductions. This is my father Mr. Vergil Talbot, and older brothers Mike and Greg.” Chihiro said with a heavy sigh. “Though they have yet to answer my question as to why they are here?”

“She’s not your oneesan?” Vergil asked in surprise.

“No chichi. Yuko-chan is my senior maiko. Aunt Yasu is still my oneesan.” Chihiro sighed then gave her family a small smile.

“Please take your seats. There will be time for you to catchup later. We still have guests to entertain.” Yuko told them kindly then reminded Vergil that this was a business event for her and his daughter. “They are paying a great deal to be entertain by your daughter and myself.”

After taking Chihiro’s family had taken their seats the banquet finally began. Halfway through Yuko and Chihiro put on a half hour performance. Chihiro played her shamisen while Yuko danced. Afterward while Yuko played a traditional drinking games with the other five guests. Chihiro talked with her father and brothers.

“Okay chichi. Now that we can talk. Why are you in Japan? Shouldn’t you be somewhere in Washington or Montana.” Chihiro asked them getting straight to the point.

“What are you doing running around being a Japanese whore?” Mike sneered.

“Call your sister a whore again boy. I’ll personally break every bone in your body one at a time.” Vergil snarled. “Geisha are professional entertainers and artists. They don’t spread their legs or bend over for money. You boys will not insult her or her profession again. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir.” They both answered quickly. Then Greg voiced the one question that had been on his mind all night. “Dad why are you referring to Jason as a girl?”

“Take a good look at the person in front of you boys. Tell me which do you see a scrawny boy or a grown young woman?” Vergil asked them bluntly then answered his own question. “I tell you what I see. An extremely graceful, highly skilled, very talented, very beautiful and extremely feminine, professional young woman.”

“I hear you dad.” Mike bowed his head and sighed then looked up at Chihiro. “Sorry sis. I didn’t mean to be an asshole. It’s just that… well… I.”

“My appearance caught you and Greg off guard.” Chihiro sighed then smiled mischievously for her family. “You’re forgiven Mikey-chan.”

“Oh man. Sis I think you’ve spent too much time in Japan.” Greg chuckled. “It’s really starting to mess with the way you talk. You even have a Japanese accent.”

“What do you expect Greg?” Chihiro sighed. “For the last four and a half years. The only language I’ve spoken is Japanese. Even when I was in San Francisco that was all I spoke. It was the only way to protect my cover story.”

“It’s no longer a cover story for you is it Chihiro?” Vergil asked her kindly.

“No chichi. I even have a Japanese birth certificate and citizenship.” Chihiro told him honestly. “In eight months, I hope to have my erikae ceremony.”

“Then it’s a good thing that we’ll still be here.” Vergil smiled proudly at his daughter’s look of confusion. He realized that he had told her why they were in Japan. “The gentleman that is paying for this little banquet is my new boss, choujo. You are looking at the new corporate purchaser for KG Seafoods out of Port Townsend.”

“Congratulations chichi. So, this banquet was in your honor?” Chihiro asked smiling for her father. Vergil knew that his daughter was acting the part of a proper maiko by asking that question and modestly nodded his head. She then looked over at Greg and Mike asking. “Why are they here?”

“Mike and Greg were hired to deal directly with the American and Canadian fishing boat captains.” Vergil told her with pride as he hooked his thumb towards his two sons. “They’re nowhere near as smart or pretty as my daughter but they make up for their shortcomings by being big, dumb, and ugly.”

“Not fair dad. We got to play to our size. No way we could just bat our eyes, smile sweetly, and slyly flirt our way with those captains like Chihiro could.” Mike chuckled then grunted as Greg elbowed him in the ribs. “What? It’s the truth. I got twenty bucks that says Chihiro could get a better price from one of those Portland boat Captains than we ever could.”

“That may be true bro. But have you ever heard of the word tact?” Greg groaned only to hear a soft giggle come from Chihiro. “Um sorry sis. He means well.”

“But Mike often engages his mouth before his brain.” Chihiro told him before she covered her mouth with her left hand giggling. Vergil had already seen that his onetime youngest son had mastered the etiquette of a trained geisha. This last act was enough to drive home the point. That his son Jason was now his daughter Chihiro, and she was on her way to mastering her trade at only nineteen.

In a modern world in which it is increasingly rare to find glimmers of magic. Jason had managed to become the most fleeting of magical sights in Japan. Jason was now one of those mythical geisha that drifted through the streets of the Gion hanamachi. In an era where their craft was increasingly rare, Vergil knew that his daughter, wife, and sister-in-law deserved to be treasured and protected.

As the end of the banquet drew near Vergil asked to speak with Yuko. Chihiro smiled and switched places with the older maiko. Vergil Talbot was many things but stupid and inconsiderate wasn’t one of those things. After thanking Yuko for allowing him and his sons to spend time with his daughter. He handed her his business card then headed out front to talk with the owner of the teahouse. When he returned Vergil’s face held a sly and winning smile. Chihiro had seen that smile on her father’s face before. She had a feeling he had just earned a major coup. After the banquet ended and their guest left Yuko turned to Chihiro.

“How could your father not know you had become a maiko?” She asked Chihiro in surprise. “Did you and Chiharu run away from him?”

“Yuko I have a lot in common with Ren. The biggest of which is hidden under our kimonos and between our legs.” Chihiro whispered. “The last time my father and brothers saw me. I was still trying to live as a boy. My father blame my mother for me wanting to follow in her footsteps to become a geisha. They divorced while I was studying to become a maiko in San Francisco with my oneesan.”

“Really? You’re shisutaabooi like Ren. I thought that was just okiya gossip.” Yuko gasped then giggled lightly. “Then again if I didn’t know already. I would swear that Ren was a natural born girl as well.”

“I know. Scary isn’t it. I wonder how many other maiko are in truth shisutaabooi.” Chihiro giggled as she started wrapping up her shamisen. Seeing this Yuko quickly did the same so that they could head home for the evening.

As they neared the front of the teahouse the owner stopped them. With a smile of pride, she handed a sealed envelope to each maiko. “The Americans left these for the two of you. Be sure to give then to your okasan.”

With a small bow to the owner the two maiko headed off into the night. As they walked together the bells of their okobo joined with the sounds of the street at night. Their conversation was they headed for home turned quickly into a game. The theme of that game was simple. Which of their sister maikoes were shisutaabooi.

Chapter 12
Chihiro’s final hairstyle.

When Chiharu learned that her ex-husband was now living and working in Japan she became worried over Chihiro’s safety. Chiharu’s biggest fear though was that Vergil, or one of the boys would expose Chihiro’s secret. It wasn’t until she, and Chihiro hosted an afternoon lunch followed by a shopping trip with the three Talbot men were her fears assuaged. Vergil actually had to stop Mike and Greg from pounding the shit out of a tourist that would not stop pestering Chihiro and Chiharu for a picture. If it had been for the intervention of a police officer Vergil might have let his sons pound the piss out of the man.

Over the next several months whenever Chihiro and Chiharu had a free day off. Vergil would make arrangements for an afternoon lunch and shopping trip with the two. While Chiharu and Vergil treated each other friendly Chihiro could tell that they would never remarry. Her mother had returned to her roots as a geisha and Chiharu was never going to give that up again. Chihiro understood her mother’s reasons. She too could hardly wait for the day that she would finally turn her collar.

In the last few months leading up to her twentieth birthday Yasu and Chiharu drilled Chihiro every morning and after in the Kurokami. Then one Tuesday morning three weeks before her birthday Chiaki told Chihiro she had an appointment with the hairstylist. Chihiro naturally reached up to check her hair only to stop when she saw the grinning faces of her family, sister maikoes and geisha. Her grandmother just patted her hand saying. “Time for a new hairstyle, granddaughter.”

Chihiro couldn’t help herself as she lunged across the table to hug her grandmother crying. “Oh, thank you grandma! Thank you!”

After calming her granddaughter and passing her to her mother the elderly okasan grinned at the newest maikoes in her okiya. “Asa, Botan, Chō, your time will come. When that day arrives. I hope you show more dignity than my granddaughter.”

The slight dig at Chihiro’s uncharacteristic outburst brought a round of chuckles from the gathered maiko and geisha. Of the eight geisha that had been living at the okiya when they first arrived only two remained. Five of them had moved to privet appartements in the surrounding the hanamachi. The other three had long since moved onto another careers. Only Chiharu, Yasu, Yuko, Chiyo, Sumiko and Tamami remained of the original geisha. Ren, Ai, and Chihiro were the last of the old maiko.

“Okasan-san we have news as well.” Sumiko started off kindly. “Chiyo, Tamami, and I will be moving into our own apartments at the end of the month. This will open another three rooms on the second floor.”

“That will bring our residency down to just Ren, Ai, Asa, Botan, and Chō. I know that Suzuka and Manryō are ready to become maiko. Ren before you ask you need to start learning the Kurokami. You have four months until your own erikae ceremony.” Chiaki told the gather maiko and shikomi-san.

After that conversation around the table turned to light topics. Later that morning Chihiro sat in the hairdresser’s salon having her hair done in the special sakkō hairstyle. It is characterized by a myriad of tortoiseshell hair ornaments, a set of silver wires that resemble the wings of a dragonfly, and a tuft of hair that hangs down at the back of the style. Chihiro was surprised that the hairdresser who worked on her today was the actual owner of the salon. When the hairdresser went to place the tortoiseshell comb in her hair he stopped.

“I have not seen this in almost twenty years. Where did you get her hands on this comb? Did you steel it?!” He demanded as he spun the chair around to face. “Speak up girl or I will call your okiya!”

“No sir. I didn’t steel that comb. My oneesan gave it to me. I swear.” Chihiro told him with a trembling lower lip. This was the first time any of the hairdressers had acted this way towards her. She didn’t understand why the man was so angry.

“Who’s your oneesan? You better not lie. I will be calling your okiya to verify if you’re telling the truth.” He demanded.

“Yasu Izumi is my oneesan, sir. She’s my aunt. My mother is Chiharu Izumi.” Chihiro told him honestly. Still wondering why this old man was so angry with her.

“You are the daughter of Chiharu Izumi?” He asked in surprise.

“Yes sir. I have been coming here for the last several years now. Just ask Jobon, sir. He normally does my hair.” Chihiro told the old man.

“Chichi why are you raising so much hell over here?” Asked Chihiro’s regular hairdresser as he stepped around the corner. He took one look at Chihiro and smiled. “Congratulations Mistress Chihiro. Sorry I couldn’t take care of you myself, but I was double booked today. All thanks to your grandmother by the way.”

“Jobo you know this maiko?” The old man asked.

“Dad this is the granddaughter of Chiaki Izumi. She’s becoming here for the last four years. Please tell me you didn’t go all ‘Protector of Honor’ on her chichi?” Jobo asked his father then sighed at the contrite look on his face. “Chi how many times have I asked you to spent more time in the shop with our clients? You spend all your time only working on the wigs for the geisha.”

“You made your point Jobon. Now go back to your client. I’m sure the poor girl wants to get on with her day.” The old man snorted then turned to Chihiro. “Mistress Chihiro please forgive my accusations and rudeness.”

“You’re forgiven sir. If you’ll explain why you became so angry over that comb?” Chihiro told him politely.

“If your oneesan is your aunt, Yasu Izumi. That means your mother is Chiharu Izumi.” He told her with a growing smiling as Chihiro nodded her head. “Then you will be the sixth Izumi to wear this particular comb in their final days as a maiko. It is a family heirloom. That can honestly be considered a National Treasure.”

“When you saw me with the comb. Someone you have never served before. You naturally thought I had stolen it from my aunt, my mother, or my grandmother.” Chihiro giggled politely. “I fully understand the confusion sir. Beside my mother and aunt. Who else have you placed that comb for?”

“Only your mother and aunt. Though my father placed it in the hair for both your grandmother and great grandmother. You will the sixth geisha my family has had as clients.” He said with pride as he spun Chihiro back towards the mirror. “Now let’s finish your hair. You must have serval events scheduled for this evening. Can’t have you being late because of this old fool’s need to reminisce.”

As the old man placed the final silver kanzashi hairpin Chiaki entered the hair salon. When the old man saw Chiaki he scowled. “You have some nerve showing up now Mistress Chiaki. You intentionally overbook my son. Just so that I would have to do your granddaughter’s hair. You are not a very nice person.”

“Oh, please Master Ichiki. It’s not like you haven’t heard about my daughters’ return to the hanamachi. You’ve been doing their wigs for the last four years.” Chiaki snorted at the indignant look he gave her. As he pointed to the tortoiseshell comb Chiaki finally laughed. “Blame that on Yasu. Not me sir.”

Hearing that Yasu was to blame for the prank Ichiki just chuckled. He knew that of the two Izumi sisters Yasu was the bigger prankster. “I think I’ll have to teach her a lesson about pulling prankers on her elders.”

“Have fun and enjoy yourself old friend.” Chiaki told him with a smile as she pulled a small appointment book from her pursue. “Come alone Chihiro. You have a very full schedule today. You have just enough time to eat something before having to dress for your first afternoon appointment. You’re escorting Professor Yamato to the sumo matches this afternoon from thirteen-hundred to fifteen-hundred. Then from sixteen-hundred to seventeen-thirty you’re hosting a tea ceremony for a baby shower at the Golden Lotus teahouse. Beginning at eighteen-hundred you have the first of three banquets this evening with the last one ending at zero-one-hundred.”

“My god! You’re going to work your granddaughter to death with a schedule like Mistress Chiaki.” Ichiki scolded her.

“Ichiki you know that I don’t normally book any of my girls with this heavy of a schedule but today couldn’t be helped.” Chiaki sighed. “But both Chiharu and Yasu are booked for an all-day event at the Nissan Corporate Headquarters. Chihiro is my only English speaking maiko or geisha left. Each of her appoints today are with English speaking only clients. Even Professor Yamato only speaks English.”

“What?! How disgraceful. A Japanese man not being able to speak his native tongue.” Ichiki grumbled. “What is the world coming to?”

“Sir, Professor Yamato isn’t Japanese. He’s British and never knew his parents. He was raised in one of those awful British orphanages. Like the ones in the books. He only recently started to study our nation and its culture.” Chihiro said coming to the defense of the British Professor.

“Then you must not be late young Mistress.” Ichiki told her as he struck a dramatic pose. “The Great Protector of Geisha Honor commands you to educate this lost son from the Land of the Rising Sun.”

The grandmother and granddaughter left the hair salon could only giggle at the man’s antics as they left the hair salon. They would share the story of their visit to the salon with others of the okiya. Soon the story of the Great Protector of Geisha Honor would fill the teahouses.

Chapter 13
Chihiro’s danpatsu shiki ceremony.

For the next twenty days Chihiro work schedule was full. As much as she wanted a day off to visit with her father and brothers it wasn’t possible. It was the height of tourist season and word had spread about her skill with the English language. As an English speaking maiko in the days of her apprenticeship Chihiro was in high demand. Not just by the teahouses but by the Cultural Center for Kyoto University. Professor Yamato had somehow talked the Dean of the University to hire Chihiro, as a Cultural Consultant for his afternoon classes. With a three hour block spoken for during the weekday afternoons and a full evening schedule of three events each night. The time passed quickly for the young woman.

At midnight of her last day as a maiko Chihiro her okiya sisters gathered at the teahouse of her last appointment. During the night she had performed the Kurokami meaning “Black Hair” dance to show her newfound womanhood three times. Once for each of her appointments. Chihiro knew that tonight the wires holding hair in the elaborate sakkō hairstyle in place would be cut. Throughout the day she had struggled contain her growing excitement for this moment. As her okiya family entered the banquet room they each stopped and greeted her.

Her mother was the first to say anything before she hugged her daughter. “Congratulations darling. Today you took your last steps as maiko.”

“Your mother is correct Chihiro. I have looked forward to this day for the last four years. Congratulations dear.” Her aunt Yasu told her hugging her.

“Welcome to the family business, little one.” Her grandmother told her before hugging Chihiro. “I’m as proud of you today as I was the day your mother graduated.”

“Tonight, I get to cut one of those wires. In three months, you’ll cut one of mine. As much as I wish we could have done this together. It’s better this way.” Ren told her as was pulled her friend into a hug.

“I can’t wait sister.” Chihiro whispered in her ear.

“You have done your family proud Chihiro.” The voice of her father surprised Chihiro more than anything else. To find a man at danpatsu shiki for a maiko was a rarity. To find three men was unheard of, yet here were her father and brothers. After giving her a hug Vergil passed his daughter to his oldest son.

“You look beautiful little sister. We wouldn’t have missed this night for anything.” Greg told her as he gave his little sister a hug.

“I have to agree with the lug-head. You look stunning Chihiro.” Mike said after giving her a quick hug then handing her a small, wrapped box. “My girlfriend, Nozomi said that it’s customary to present a new geisha with a small gift.”

“That is only for geisha who are members of your family Mike.” Chiharu told him with a smile of pride for her stepson. As she hugged him Chiharu explained. “It is also always given by the oldest brother of the new geiko on the night of her danpatsu shiki. Though this particular tradition is only found among the geiko of Tokyo. Your girlfriend has uncommon insight, Mike.”

“Her older sister is a geiko in Tokyo, mom.” Mike answered as he blushed at being praised by Chiharu. “Nozomi’s been teaching me a lot about Japanese culture.”

“I see.” Chiharu told him with a huff as she put on the disappointed mother act. “I spend fifteen years trying to teach about my culture. Then some Tokyo floozie comes along bats her eyes at you. And you turn into a connoisseur of the culture.”

“Mom it was nothing like that. It’s just that… well… um… there’s just something about Nozomi that makes me want to do better.” Mike told Chiharu as he blushed. “I’m not the only one with a new girlfriend. Greg’s been dating a girl from Chiba.”

“Oh, really Gregory. Kyoto girls not good enough for you?” Aunt Yasu asked him as she crossed her arms and glares at the young man.

“Come on Aunt Yasu. Its not like that. I swear. I only meet Junko a couple of months ago in my Japanese language classes.” Greg grumbled.

Chihiro and her father chuckled as the two senior geisha for the Oginnoizumi okiya toyed the young men. When Mike and Greg heard the open laughing of the gathered maiko and geisha they quickly came to a realization. They stepmother and aunt were poking fun at their love life. Once they realized what was going both young men snorted then hugged their mother and aunt before taking their seats around the banquet table the rest of the gathered guests.

With everyone gathered and seated Yasu brought out tray of champagne flutes. While Chiharu brought in magnum of champagne chilling in a bucket of ice. Once the cork had been popped and the champagne poured Yasu addressed the gather men, maiko, and geisha. “I would like to thank everyone for agreeing to join Chihiro at this late hour. This day has been a long time in coming. She has finally matured enough to join us as a geisha. She has suffered the usual fits and false starts that all maiko do. There has been the usual moments of clumsiness, but she has always pushed on. Always giving her best. Though it has been her work with the University cultural department that has brought the most honor to our profession. Thanks to her hard work every okiya in the five hanamachi have had an upswing of flesh applicants. Tonight, we celebrate her hard work to our art by welcoming her into the ranks of geisha with her danpatsu shiki ceremony.”

Yasu’s little speech was quickly followed by toasts of congratulations. After the first round of toasts had been given a second magnum was opened. This was followed with a second round of toasts. When the last toast had been given Chihiro and Yasu moved over to the performance area. After placing white clothes over Chihiro’s shoulders Yasu slowly removed the kanzashi from Chihiro’s hair. Picking up the small silver scissors from the tray Yasu moved to stand behind the kneeling Chihiro.

Yasu cut the first silver wire that held Chihiro’s elaborate hairdo in place. She was followed by Chiharu cutting the second wire. Chiaki stepped forward next cutting the third wire. Ren was given the honor of cutting the fourth wire with Ai cutting the fifth wire. Chihiro’s brothers cut the sixth and seventh wires. The last wire was cut by her father. With each wire that was cut more and more of her hair fell free. While a small pile of hair extensions were placed on the silver tray. After the last wire had been cut. Yasu gathered Chihiro’s shoulder blade-length hair at the back of Chihiro’s head and pinned in place with a silver comb.

Chapter 14
Conversation in the street.

A little after two in the morning the party broke up and the guests headed for home. Vergil, Mike, and Greg wished Chihiro congratulations one last time promising that they would see her in a few days. When Chiharu asked Vergil why they were going to miss Chihiro’s Erikae all three men sighed.

“What’s wrong Vergil? Ever since you and the boys arrived in Japan you haven’t missed any of Chihiro’s major ceremonies as a maiko.” Chiharu pointed out.

“As much as we would love to be here to see the turning of her collar. Me and the boys have to be in Kawasaki for the next four days. KG Seafoods wants us to meet with twelve independent factory fishing ships pulling into port over the next few days. Our boss Mister Matsumura wants us there so we can try to hopefully renegotiate a better price for their catches.” Vergil explained before turning to Chihiro. “We’re really sorry honey. But this is one time that our boss just won’t budge. He normally doesn’t have problems with us taking time to visit with you and your mom. If it wasn’t for those twelve ships representing the company’s quarterly net income it would be another story.”

As it was just the five of them at the time Chihiro just smiled up at her father. “Don’t worry about it daddy. I understand. Work must sometimes come before family.”

“Thanks for understanding sis.” Mike said quickly. Before snorting. “I wish that our company translators had you’re work ethic.”

“No shit Greg. Out of the four of them only one is worth a fucking shit.” Greg grumbled then apologized to his mother and sister. “Sorry about the language.”

“You’re forgiven Gregory. You rarely use such language without cause.” Chiharu told her stepson quickly. “Though why would you need translators? Aren’t the ships you deal with either American or Canadian?”

“Usually mom. That all changed a few weeks ago. KG Seafoods bought out Golden Road Seafoods in Kawasaki. All of their ships are crewed and captained by Japanese citizens. While some of those ships have translators as part of their crew most don’t. We still need translators whenever dealing with the captains and their staff for the independent factory fishing ships. Most them are Japanese flag carries and aren’t required to have a translator as part of the crew. We’ve all been taking Japanese language classes at night, so we don’t have to rely on a translator. Dad has a slight edge on me and Mike but we’re catching up.” Greg told her with a shy smile. “It helps when negotiating to be able to speak the same language.”

“Vergil what are you still doing here?” Yasu asked as she and Chiaki exited the teahouse. “Are still trying to date my sister?”

“No Yasu, it is nothing like.” Vergil snapped then sighed. “I realized that ship sailed long ago now drop it already.”

“Calm down Vergil. I was only playing.” Yasu told her ex-brother-in-law.

“Sorry about snapping your head off Yasu. I know you were just playing around. As to why we’re still here. I was just explaining to Chihiro why we were going to miss her erikae.” Vergil then went on to explain the situation for her and Chiaki.

“Vergil would having three geisha there help smooth over the negotiations?” Chiaki asked him with a small smile. “Especially three geisha that can act as translators.”

“What are you up to Mother Chiaki?” Vergil asked her.

“When does the first ship arrive in port?” She asked him.

“The first one is due in port between eighteen and nineteen-hundred tomorrow, ma’am. Pier thirty-one, dock four, slip six.” Greg answered as he read the information off of his cellphone. “Dad is scheduled to meet with the captain ten minutes after docking at the White Swan Gohanya, ma’am. It is the same meeting place for the all of the ship captains ma’am.”

“The White Swan is a well-respected gohanya establishment. It is also one of the most expensive ryōtei in all of Japan.” Chiharu snorted then looked over at Vergil. “I hope you boys have expense accounts. Because you’ll need them.”

“Better. Company gold cards with no limits.” Vergil grinned then asked. “Why?”

“Because a single meal for two people at the White Swan will cost you upwards of eighteen to nineteen-thousand yen. Twenty-two to twenty-three-thousand yen if you include drinks. How many people are you expecting to wine and dine per meeting?” Yasu asked him quickly as she pulled her smart phone out of her purse.

“According to the information I have we can expect four crewmembers from each ship. The captain, first officer, the chief purser, and one other crewman, ma’am.” Greg answered while looking at his phone. “There is a notation about someone called a senior broker attending the meetings for the ships, ma’am.”

“That last person is not to be taking lightly Gregory. If these factory fishing ships are sailing with a broker and a captain. Then they will be the one to settle on the price of their catch. Not the captain.” Even though Chiaki was addressing Greg she made the statement towards all three men.

“Chiharu you said the White Swan was a gohanya. What exactly is that?” Vergil asked.

“Gohanya is an umbrella term used for restaurants that normally operate within each hanamachi. It’s quite common for customers to take their favorite maiko or geisha out to dinner. Normally to the finest of established restaurants, known as ryōtei, as a show of wealth. Though there are times those terms are applied to certain restaurant areas in cities without hanamachi. Cities like Kawasaki.” Chiharu explain for her ex-husband. “Though there has been a slight resurgence of a few historical hanamachi in other cities. Thanks to the Japanese Cultural Preservation Ministry.”

“What are thinking Chiharu?” Vergil asked his ex-wife. “You still haven’t told us what you’re thinking.”

“Would your company be willing to pay for myself, Yasu, and Chihiro to act as both your personal translators and hostesses for those meetings?” Chiharu asked with a sly and knowing smile. “After all negotiation is just another type of artform of conversation. An artform that all geiko are diligently trained.”

“I’ll have car here at twelve-hundred tomorrow for the three of you. Pack for six days.” Vergil told her smiling. “As for your price. How do you want to work it?”

“We’ll give you the friends and family discount price of thirty-thousand yen each per meeting.” Chiharu told him as she held up her hand with her index finger extended. “But you cover the cost of our hotel rooms, travel, and meals.”

“Done. I’ll even arrange for personal escorts to and from the meetings.” Vergil told her as he pulled out his phone. “Just let me run this by my boss.”

Before anyone could stop him Vergil was calling his boss. Mike and Greg just stood there watching. While the four geisha watched in stunned disbelief. Their disbelief grew when Vergil simply explained the reason for his late night call. After a few minutes Vergil end the call and turned back to Chiharu. “Good news and better news.”

“Daddy isn’t that supposed to be good news and bad news?” Chihiro asked him.

“Normally it would be darling but not to night. Do you remember when you and the other maiko performed for us and Mister Matsumura?” Vergil asked then went as Chihiro nodded her head. “Well, he asked about the connection between you and the three of us. I explained that you were my daughter and that the two of you had returned to Kyoto and your grandmother’s okiya during our separation then stayed to train as a maiko. When he asked about your mother I told him the truth. That I had met her shortly after she became a full geisha. That after our divorce she returned to her profession as a way to support the both of you. That is why we have been able to make all those visits with you and your mother. He gave me an expense account just for seeing the two of you. In his words I was to cultivate my relationship with my talented wife and daughter.”

“Your superior understands the value of having family connects within an okiya.” Chiaki chuckled from behind Chiharu. “Well done Vergil. Be sure to set aside an evening next week to show your appreciation for your superior’s kindness.”

“It will have to be two weeks from now Mother Chiaki. Next week me and boys are flying to Okinawa to handle the negotiations with the US Airbase there.” Vergil told her honestly. When Chihiro yawned Vergil smiled. “Time is getting late, and you ladies have had a long day. Before we take our leave I’ll finish my news. Mister Matsumura has agreed to all of your conditions but has offered to pay each of you a senkodai rate of forty-seven-thousand yen per hour. Is this acceptable?”

“Very acceptable Vergil. We’ll meet you tomorrow evening at seventeen-hundred in the front entrance of the White Swan.” Chiharu told him honestly. “We’ll also arrange for three maiko to accompany us if need be.”

“Um… mom this is one time that it would best to leave your maiko at home.” Mike warned her. “Before you raise the roof with me please hear me out. The men we’ll be dealing with aren’t known for their social skills. As it is the only reason I’m agreeing to Chihiro being there. Is I know that she can protect herself in a pinch.”

“Your son speaks from firsthand knowledge daughter. I would be worried about sending any of our maiko with you.” Chiaki told her. “I would worry even if you took Ren.”

“Very well we’ll handle this ourselves.” Chiharu said then turned to Vergil. “I’ll see soon Vergil. Until then be safe.”

After a few quick goodbye hugs the family broke up and headed for their individual homes. Vergil and the boys still had a half hour ride back to their hotel. The four geisha still had a half hour walk to back to the okiya. The first thing that they did when they returned was to take a bath and wash off their makeup. All four were in bed shortly and fast asleep shortly before four in the morning.

Chapter 15
The ride to Kawasaki.

Because the four had such a long day before they slept until noon. Chihiro would have taken the rest of the day off. Instead, she decided to undergo her erikae or “turning of the collar” ceremony that afternoon. While she was pressed for time she was still able to adopt the more discreet appearance of a geiko.

She was able to exchange the Furisode kimonos she wore as a maiko for the more mature tsumesode kimono of a geisha with the shorter sleeves and less flamboyant patterns. Thanks to her grandmother Chiaki was able to pick up a wig in the shimada mage hairstyle and won’t have to style her natural hair. That night the three Ogin no Shiratori or Golden Swans as the tri were sometimes called packed for their trip. The next morning a large stretch limo worked its way through the streets of the hanamachi to stop in front of the Oginnoizumi okiya.

Chiharu, Chihiro, and Yasu were surprised to Greg in the backseat waiting for them. During the drive Greg took the chance to asked a few questions about the life of geisha of his female relatives. He started with his stepmother Chiharu. “Excuse me mom. But did Kawasaki ever have a hanamachi?”

“Sadly no, Gregory. Kawasaki has historically always been a port city and point of immigration.” Chiharu answered him. “Why are you asking?”

“No reason ma’am. I’m just trying to understand the culture and history of my host nation better. My girlfriend has been dragging me to a lot of culturally and historically important places. At first she was fine with just taking me to nightclubs and places like that.” Greg told her honestly. “She also has me taking her to the teahouses in Tokyo at least once every two weeks.”

“What changed Gregory?” Yasu asked with a smile.

“Somehow she found out that my aunt, and stepmom were Kyoto geiko. She then found out that my baby sister was their maiko and their mother owned the Oginnoizumi okiya in the Gion.” Greg told her with a heavy blush of embarrassment.

“Who told her?” Chihiro asked quickly wondering if it was her father.

“It wasn’t dad. It was some British professor that visited her university. I think his name is Professor Yamato.” Greg told her honestly. “Though how he knew is beyond me. I mean he works for the Cultural Center of Kyoto’s University. It’s not like he can afford to spend a whole lot of time in the teahouses.”

“No but he does love his sumo and the University is willing to pay form him to be escorted by a maiko to the matches. They’ll also pay to have his favorite maiko come to his classes and give lectures on the life of a maiko.” Chihiro giggled. “Lectures that were video recorded for other classes.”

“YOU! You were the maiko she saw in that video?” Greg asked his little sister in surprised as Chihiro just giggled. “Oh man. Talk about a small world.”

“Tell me something Greg. What else changed your mind about studying Japanese culture? I know that was more than just your girlfriend.” Chiharu asked him.

“Honestly mom. It was seeing how happy Chihiro had become living as a maiko. After that banquet I spent a lot of time going to museums and the college library. I wanted to know more about the life she was dedicating herself to at first. That was where I met Junko. She was the one to talk me into taking Japanese language classes. To use her favorite saying. ‘To hold a meaningful conversation, one must first speak the same language.’ I’m still working on the same language part, but we do have an understanding.” Greg told her with a chuckle.

“Good. Keep working on that Gregory. I know you will master the language. You never give up on something you believe in.” Chihiro told her brother as she patted his knee. “So, what did you learn about the life of a geisha?”

“For starters I learned that while the word “geisha” is widely known, it is actually just one of the terms used to refer to Japan's traditional female entertainers. Though now widely accepted as the standard, “geisha” was originally reserved for entertainers in Tokyo. In Kyoto where your okiya is, geisha are called “geiko,” which shares the same “gei” kanji as geisha while its second character is replaced with “ko”, meaning child or young person. In the western cities of Niigata and Kanazawa, geisha are known as “geigi,” with “gi” meaning “artistic woman.” Despite the different names, all still refer to what are commonly seen as geisha. Yet in every city there is only one word for apprentice geisha. A maiko is a maiko no matter which city you’re in.” Greg told them then cocked his head slightly. “I’ll be honest. That confused the hell out of me for a while. Until Junko explained why there was three names for the same profession.”

“What did she tell you?” Yasu asked him while hiding her smile behind her fan.

“Well according to Junko, it all goes back to the very first geisha. As crazy as it sounds the very first geisha were men known as taikomochi. Before the female geisha developed into what we know today, Japan’s first group of entertainers were males. These roles developed from what we might call jesters. That all changed in the late seventeenth century. When they moved to the pleasure districts to perform for the general public. The term geisha began to be applied to the taikomochi who played the parts of women in their performances around this time. It was later applied to all taikomochi. In the mid-18th century, female geisha also began to perform in these pleasure districts, which is when the term “geiko” came into use. Geiko swiftly overtook their male counterparts in popularity, and by the early 19th century, the vast majority of geisha were now women. Which is how geisha became the overall use word to describe professional female entertainers.” Greg told her.

“And what happened to the taikomochi?” Chiharu asked her stepson.

“From what I have been able to find they have mostly fade away into history mom.” Greg answered her honestly. Then turned thoughtful. “Or have I missed something?”

“When your sister started her training. She was considered a taikomochi. Of the four-hundred or so maiko and geisha in Kyoto. I would say that twenty-five to thirty of them were born male yet live and work as females. It is not as uncommon as many people think. Thanks to the attention given by to us by social media websites like YouTube, Facebook, and twitter. The okiyas have been receiving an unprecedented number of requests to undergo maiko training. Some of those requests are by boys who are transgendered.” Yasu explained for Greg. “To most of these young boys we represent the prefect ideal of feminine grace, beauty, and charm.”

“Aunt Yasu is telling you the truth Greg. While not as common as it used to be, males are still being trained as geisha. In the late nineteenth and for most of the twentieth centuries the practice of training males to be geisha fell out of favor. It never really went away. In the last twenty-five to thirty years the practice has slowly had a resurgence because of the changes in social attitudes towards homosexuals and the transgender.” Chihiro told her brother with a smile. Then asked him. “The other night at my danpatsu shiki ceremony. How many of the maikoes that attended the party do you think were males?”

“Well, I don’t know. Not counting you I think there might have been three, but to be honest. I really couldn’t tell. The only reason I’m going that high is because all three of them have unisex names. The only one that I more than half sure of that might be a boy was the maiko named Akiara.” Greg told her honestly as he thought about the maiko and geisha that attended his sister’s danpatsu shiki ceremony. “Though I’ve met a lot of people here that have unisex names in Japan. Way more than what we find in the States. So that can’t really be used as a hint.”

“Let me guess the names of your other two suspects. Aoi and Kei, am I right?” Chiharu asked him with a small grin. When Greg nodded his Chihiro hid her giggle behind her fan. “Gregory you were right about the number but wrong about the people. Ren, Chihiro’s sister maiko, was one of them. The other two were Sana and Natsu who were well I guess you would call them Chihiro’s classmates.”

“Oh man, I feel like such a dumbass.” Greg said with a heavy blush then gave his grinning sister a pleading look. “Chihiro please don’t ever tell Junko about what I just said. If she ever found out I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Greg you really should spend more time around Mike and his girlfriend Nozomi. There is an unwritten rule that all geiko or geisha obey. What is said or done in our presences is never talked about. We’re a lot like Vegas. You know what happens with us, stays with us.” Chihiro told her brother grinning then voiced her loophole. “Though it is a little sister’s right to blackmail her older brothers.”

Greg naturally fell back on the one defense that all older brothers of little sisters have. “Mom. Chihiro is picking on me again.”

“Chihiro leave your brother alone. Greg quite provoking Chihiro.” Chiharu sighed heavily before turning to Yasu asking. “Now do you see what a mother puts up with?”

“They’re not that bad, sister. Though I can tell they really do love each other.” Yasu countered as the two older geisha giggled. Yasu looked over to find that Greg was grinning from ear to ear. “What else did you find in your research Greg?”

“That mom is among the rarest of geiko. From what I was able to discover. It not uncommon for geiko to marry and leave the profession to have a family. That most of these marriages rarely end in divorce. It is even rarer for a divorced geiko to return to their profession.” Greg answered honestly then smiled at his stepmom. “What is truly rare about my mom. She returned to the profession with a daughter already training to become a maiko.”

“Very good Gregory. You have been doing your homework. Do you have a theory as to why your mother was able to return so easily?” Yasu asked him.

“If what Junko and Nozomi have explained for me is accurate. It has something to do with your mother being the okasan for the Oginnoizumi okiya. Exactly what that connection is or why it has any bearing on the situation I still haven’t figure that out yet. Though if I had to make a guess I would say that it has something to do with one of you being her atotori.” Greg answered. “I do have a question about that Aunt Yasu. I know this is going to sound crass. Is it common for geiko to have children out of wedlock?”

“Normally we don’t talk about it, but the answer is yes. Especially in the last seventy or so years. Usually though it is the current atotori for an okiya. The reason behind this is to keep the okiya in the family. Being passed down from mother to daughter or granddaughter. Though the inheritance laws and costumes for okiya have changed in the last few decades to allow for a trained male geisha in the family to become an atotori.” Chiharu told her son honestly as she patted Chihiro on the knee with a smile of pride.

“What will happen when Chihiro needs to find her atotori?” Greg asked her.

“When it comes time for that she will pick her atotori from among the geisha who are registered with our okiya. That is also another reason your mother was able to return. Our mother never removed her from our registry. Mother carried as working overseas for her danna. I was listed the same until three years ago.” Yasu explained. Then gave Chiharu a sad look. “Momma had a feeling that you and Vergil would end up divorcing sooner or later. She wanted you to have someway of supporting yourself and Chihiro should that happen. She felt that if you divorced you would end up returning to Kyoto with your child out of necessity.”

“Grandmother really hates my father that much?” Chihiro asked in shock.

“No Chihiro. She doesn’t hate your father. She just understands human nature and the US Immigration laws better than we do. She always plans accordingly.” Chiharu explained for her children. “What you need to understand about Chiaki Izumi is she was a Mistress of the long game before either your aunt or I was born.”

“Wow. I would love to spend a few months as her student.” Greg chuckled as he looked over at Chihiro. “Though I doubt that I could hack it as a maiko.”

“I don’t know.” Chihiro asked as she gave him a thoughtful look. “What you think mom? He might actually look rather cute once he is dolled up.”

“Woah! Hold on here little sister. Don’t go getting any crazy ideas in that cute little head of yours. I might be able to pull off the ronin look if you give me about six weeks to grow out my hair.” Greg chuckled as Chihiro snorted then giggled.

“Gregory have you heard the tale of the forty-seven ronin?” Chiharu asked him.

“Yes ma’am. Junko took me to see their grave at Sengkuji Temple. When I first hear about them though I thought that the story was nothing more than Hollywood b.s. Not something that could be based on historical facts.” Greg told her.

“I must say. This Junko girl has been a good influence. When do I get to met her?” Chiharu asked him bluntly then reminded him that she still considered herself his mother. “A mother has a right to know the girl her son plans to marry.”

Chihiro chose the wiser course of action and keep her mouth shut. She didn’t even giggle as Greg closed his eyes and groaned. “Yes ma’am. I’ll see if she can get away from school this weekend. I’m not too sure about her schedule right now. I know that she has finals in two weeks.”

“If she cannot make time because of her studies this week. Then once her finals are over contact me. We’ll make arrangements then.” Chiharu told him as she looked out the window. “It looks like we’ve arrived. Thank you for coming to get us Gregory.”

“It was my pleasure mom. It’s been nice to sit and talk with you all.” Greg said as the car pulled to a stop in front the hotel. “Dad reserved a three bedroom suite for you on the third floor under Oginnoizumi Entertainments LLC.”

“Thank Gregory. We’ll see you later this evening.” Chiharu said as the trio entered the hotel while the driver placed their luggage on a porter’s cart.

Chapter 16
Kyoto! We have a problem.

As the trio of geiko enter the White Swan restaurant they were greeted by Vergil Talbot. Chiharu could tell right away that he was upset. Something had gone wrong. “What has happened Vergil? I’ve only ever seen you this way once before. When the store was firebombed during the riot.”

“Well right now it feels like the fire is still burning out of control.” Vergil snarled. “I knew this day was going to prefect. I should never have tempted fate.”

“Vergil Talbot you will stop your pacing right now and tell us what happened.” Chiharu snapped as she closed her umbrella.

“To paraphrase Tom Hanks. Kyoto! We have a problem.” Vergil sighed as Yasu and Chihiro snapped their umbrellas closed. “According to the schedule given to us. The ships were supposed to arrive one at a time. Once every six to eight hours. The problem is the first three ships all arrived in port at the same time.”

“And all three ship crews are on their way here as we speak.” Chiharu finished for her ex-husband. Taking a deep breath she turned to Yasu, and Chihiro. “Each one of us will take a separate party. Chihiro I want you with your father. Not because I don’t think you can do the job but because of your age. They’ll be less likely to be on their guard around you than your aunt or me. They’ll most likely let something slip that your father can use in the negotiations.”

“Yes momma. How should I play them? Sweet and innocent or savvy hostess?” Chihiro asked her mother hoping for some advice.

“I hate to say this dear. You’ll have to play it by ear. Let them make the first move then guide the conversation where your father needs it to go.” Chiharu told her honestly as she thought about the situation. “Yasu do you have any advice to give your one time protégée?”

“Chihiro do you remember the Grant dinner party?” Yasu asked Chihiro. She thought back to the dinner party in question and nodded with a smile. “Good girl. Do exactly the same thing for your father that you did for Shimada-san.”

“Yes ma’am. Butter them up with a few opening rounds of sake. Then get the broker talking about their catch.” Chihiro said with a nasty grin.

“Good girl. Now put that hard learned knowledge to use.” Chiharu told her with a matching grin of her own. “Vergil she’s all yours.”

“Sound like I’ll be in good hands.” Vergil chuckled then looked over at the two senior geisha as he made up his mind. “I’ll send Mike in with Yasu. Chiharu, I’m leaving Greg in your capable hands. If the captains or their crews get out of hand. I want you all to get and leave. Let me and the boys deal with them. Understood?”

All three geisha knew what Vergil was telling me and just nodded their heads. They knew that if the ship crews became unrulily it would be the men’s duty to protect them. Not that they would let it come to that point. Even in her short four years as a maiko Chihiro had dealt with more than one drunken client. She had learned how to distract a drunk enough to calm a situation down enough to get the drunk out of the way. So that the rest of the party goes could continue to enjoy the evening.

With a plan in place to deal with the three ship crews the foursome left for their individual banquet rooms. As Yasu entered her banquet Mike quickly rose to greet her. “Mistress Yasu thank you so much for joining us this evening.”

“I assure can you Michael it is my pleasure. Though why you don’t escort that lovely fiancée to these events is beyond me.” Yasu said smoothly as she took in the other four men in the room. It took her all of two point two seconds to spot the broker. While the Captain, XO, and Chief Purser all wore uniforms. He was the only one in a three piece business suit with dress shirt and tie. “She would enjoy meeting such fascinating gentlemen of the high seas.”

“I’m sure she would Mistress Yasu. Though Jewel’s command of Japanese is still lacking in proficiency. Allow me to introduce Captain Aoyama of the Japanese Fishing Vessel Flying Cloud. His Executive Office Honda. Their Chief Purser Moto. I believe you might know the ship’s broker Mister Izumi.” Mike said with a slight bow as he introduce the four men one at a time.

“Allow me to save you time Mike. Mistress Yasu Izumi needs no introduction at this table. Her reputation as one of Kyoto’s primer geisha is well known.” Moto said as he stood up and bowed to Yasu. “Though I do have to wonder how it is that you would know her with enough familiarity to arrange for a privet ozashiki?”

“I have been a longtime family friend of the Talbot family sir.” Yasu smiled politely as she took her seat. “I even had the pleasure of attending Michael’s young sister’s danpatsu shiki ceremony as a guest of honor.”

“Michael your sister is a geisha?” Izumi asked in shock.

“No, my little sister Chihiro is a Kyoto geiko, sir.” Mike told the man as he pulled himself right with real pride. “Just as is her mother. Chiharu Izumi.”

That one statement threw the fox into the henhouse. All four men looked at Mike with newfound respect. For any man to know just one geisha was a sign of honor and wealth. For a gaijin to know two of Kyoto’s primer geisha and be related to a newly graduated third was totally unheard. Then something that Mike said clicked in the mind of Izumi. “Your sister is the daughter of Chiharu Izumi. That would make Yasu Izumi her aunt. That means your sister is Chihiro Izumi.”

“Very astute of you Mister Izumi. To answer your question Chiharu Izumi is my little sister’s mother and longtime friend of my family.” Mike told the stunned broker. Then turned to the Captain smiling. “Shall we proceed with our business?”

While Yasu kept the broker’s attention. Mike negotiated a very favorable price for the Flying Cloud’s catch. Across the hall in another banquet room a similar conversation was taking place. Only the reaction to Greg Talbot greeting Chiharu the way he would a longtime family friend was more subdued. As Chiharu plied the broker with sake and flirtatious conversation. Her eyes glittered with a mother’s pride for her son. While Mike had to work to get the price he wanted. Greg just told the Captain what he was willing to pay and refused to negotiate. Greg’s studies in the history of his host nation had allowed him to adopt many of the ‘Demon King’ Oda Nobunaga’s approach to financial matters.

While Chiharu and Yasu worked their magic with the brokers in their individual ozashiki. Their minds were on the one member of their family that had never delt with this type of situation before. Not that they needed to worry. Chihiro was more than up to the task placed before her.

“Gentlemen allow me to introduce Kyoto’s newest geiko, Chihiro Izumi.” Vergil told the four crewmember of the Valiant Catch as she glided into the room. “She has graciously agreed to entertain us this evening.”

“I must say Mister Talbot. KG Seafood certainly knows how to take care of their fishing crews.” The Captain said with a smile as he eyed the young geisha. “Especially if you’re willing to arrange for a Kyoto geisha as entertainment.”

“Oh no, Captain. Talbot-san is an honored friend of my okiya. KG Seafoods has nothing to do with my presence here this evening. I offered to act as hostess for him just this afternoon.” Chihiro told them as she took her seat at the table.

“I’m sorry Mistress Chihiro. I didn’t realize that Talbot-san was your danna.” The Captain said with a deep bow of respect for the two. His respect for Vergil rising greatly simply because he was a gaijin that was intelligent enough to be a patron for a Kyoto geisha. The captain’s respect for Chihiro was because she had to be an extremely talented young geisha to have already gained a danna. He knew that it normally took a few years for a geisha to gain the attention of someone who was wealthy enough to be their danna if ever.

“Captain you flatter me and Talbot-san. As much as I wish he were my danna he is only a friend of my okiya.” Chihiro giggled lightly as she redirected the captain’s curiosity. “I was already in Kawasaki attending to a prier engagement when I bumped into Talbot-san. He merely offered to escort me to dinner this evening.”

“Mister Talbot shall we get down to business.” The broker snapped as he glared over the intrusion of this geisha. “You are not the only buyer who wants our cargo.”

“Please forgive Mister Okuma’s rudeness, Mistress Chihiro.” The XO said as he gave her a small bow before turning to the ship’s broker. “There are times when the only thing he sees is the bottom line in his ledger books.”

“At least I care enough to ensure that we can pay our crew.” Okuma snapped. “We are here for business. Not to be entertained.”

“Might I suggest a round of sake gentlemen.” Chihiro told before pouring the first round drinks and handing them out. “I have always found that business discussions go smoother in the long run after a few drinks.”

Vergil wanted to bust out laughing as his daughter smoothed over a very tense situation with the finesse of a longtime professional. It wasn’t long before Chihiro had the broker so totally distracted. That he was able to work out a favorable deal for both the ship and his company. It wasn’t the price that broker wanted, but it was one that both parties could live and still save face.

After the three boat crews had left. Vergil gather his sons and the three geiko in the banquet he had used for his meeting. As he handed out the champagne Vergil couldn’t the grin off his face. “Ladies I want to thank you for all you help. I can honestly that this evenings negotiations were the smoothest and most profitable we have conducted in the last year. With one exception.”

“I have to disagree dad. If it hadn’t been for mom. I know that I would still be trying to haggle with that clown.” Greg said smiling. “The Cassidy deal was a war zone compared to tonight.”

“I agree with Greg, dad. If it hadn’t been for mom keeping that asshole broker occupied. I would never gotten the price I wanted.” Mike chuckled.

“Well, don’t feel like the Lone Strangers here boys. You little sister was grace and elegance personified as she practically wooed Okuma into total distraction. I can honest say that she has mastered the art of conversation.” Vergil told them as he raised his glass towards his daughter.

“She has learned her indeed lessons well, Vergil. She has yet to master them.” Chiharu corrected him kindly. “Though she has come a long way from her first clumsy attempts. Give her another two to three years and then she’ll have reached mastery.”

“From what I saw firsthand. If that was her still learning. Then she’ll be truly terrifying in two years.” Vergil chuckled.

“Dad I hate to say this. If mom and Aunt Yasu say Chihiro still has a few to go before she masters the art of conversation. Then she’ll be beyond terrifying.” Mike chuckled. Just then Chihiro was truly thankful for her heavy chalk white oshiroi makeup as it hide her growing blush of embarrassment.

“So, dad how are we going to handle tomorrow? From what Captain Yishida was telling me. The next three ships are going to hit port the same way at around eleven-hundred. We got docking at the same time the day after with one docking near eighteen-hundred that day. The only ships that are even close to porting according to the schedule are the last three.” Mike asked him.

“How about we leave that up to the professionals.” Vergil answered as he turned to the three geiko. “Well ladies. How should we play this?”

“We’ll rotate between the three of you. Tomorrow Chihiro will work with Michael and the day after with Gregory. On the last day we’ll be back to our current grouping. That way you each get a chance to work a different geiko. It will give you an idea of how individual geishas operate in a business setting.” Chiharu explained. “Look at this way Vergil. If we’re not available for the next time you have a similar situation you can contact the local okiyas in Tokyo.”

The three Talbot men quickly realized what Chiharu was doing. Not only was she using this situation to help Chihiro. She was using it to training her two stepsons in the ways of business in Japan. Over the next three days. They all learned a great deal in the ways that business was conducted more often in the teahouses of the hanamachi districts in Kyoto, and Tokyo. When the three geisha turned to Kyoto the Talbot men had a knew understanding of their host nation’s business culture.

Chapter 17
Lunch time small talk.

A month after their trip to Kawasaki Chiharu, Yasu, and Chihiro were all setting down for a light lunch in the family residence of the okiya when Chihiro’s cellphone rang. At the cross look from her mother Chihiro blushed and apologized. “Sorry mama. I know that you don’t like cellphones at the table, but this is important.”

“Take your call. Then we’ll discuss the matter.” Chiharu told her with a frown.

“Hello. Yes this Chihiro. Yes I’m free this evening. I’ll have to ask. Please hold?” Chihiro moved her phone away from her mouth and placed her hand over it. “Aunt Yasu, mom, are you two free this evening?”

“I’m open for the rest of the evening after eight.” Yasu told her.

“I’m free for the whole evening. Why?” Chiharu asked her.

“I have a last minute request to host a corporate party for twelve at the Blossoms of Great Fortune teahouse. They’ve specifically asked for geisha only. No maiko.” Chihiro told her mother and aunt before asking the obvious question. “Can you maybe help me out? I know that it is last minute.”

“Don’t worry dear. We’ll be there. What company is the ozashiki for?” Yasu asked.

“Let me find out.” Chihiro said before returning to the call. “Hello. Yes I need to know who the client is. Yes, I’ve heard of them. Yes, I’ve hosted an event for them in the past. Not really but I have heard of him. I’m sorry but I can’t work them in until twenty-one-hundred at the soonest. Yes that’s agreeable. Good day.”

“Well dear. Tell us about the client.” Chiharu sighed.

“Do you remember the name of dad’s boss?” Chihiro asked her mother.

“It was Matsumoto or Matsuchi something like that. Why?” Chiharu told her.

“It’s Matsumura, Chiharu.” Yasu sighed then turned to Chihiro asking her politely. “Is he the one requesting our time?”

“Yes ma’am. Thank you for helping me with this.” Chihiro said as she bowed to them.

“We’re family Chihiro. We take care of our own.” Chiharu told her. “Though I do have to wonder about the request. Namely the timing and number of people.”

“I have to agree with your mother Chihiro. Doing something last minute like this for your father is one thing. He can be considered a danna to a point.” Yasu told her niece with a sly grin before turning serious. “But a last minute ozashiki for his boss feels more like a test than anything else. What do you think sister?”

“I have to agree. A last minute privet ozashiki for a corporate meeting. This sounds like something Shimada would have pulled on you Yasu.” Chiharu huffed then smiled. “That is exactly what this is evening is Chihiro. An audition.”

With the reason behind the sudden request figured out Chiharu turned back to the matter of her daughter’s cellphone. “Now. Whose call are you expecting?”

“Professor Anzai over at the University is supposed to call me sometime today. He is trying to set up a time with his daughter’s school for me to give a lecture.” Chihiro explained for her mother and aunt.

“You’re given lectures at schools now Chihiro?” Chiharu asked her in surprise.

“No momma. Only to his daughter’s middle school class.” Chihiro told her honestly. Then went on to explain. “His daughter sat in on a few of Professor Yamoto’s classes where I talk with his students about my training as a maiko.”

“Now she or one her friends is thinking about becoming a maiko.” Yasu surmised with a small smile then turned to Chiharu. “I told you those little lectures of hers was a bad idea. Now the hens have come home to roost.”

“Chiharu, Yasu, Chihiro, are you in here?” Chiaki asked as she stormed the room. “There you three are. I need a few minutes of your time.”

“Yes ma’am. What can we do for you?” Chiharu asked her mother.

“Care to explain why I’ve been contacted by three sperate okiya in Tokyo to interview potential shikomi?” Chiaki demanded of her two daughters and granddaughter. When Chiharu and Yasu turned to look a Chihiro she blushed. Seeing where her daughters were looking Chiaki crossed her arms and frowned. “I’m waiting child.”

“Well two weeks ago when I had those two free days. I meet up with Mike, Greg, and their girlfriends for lunch. Both Junko and Nozomi were really surprised that I was a geiko at such a young age. They kept asking me all kinds of questions. Because we were with Mike, and Greg I talked them into meeting on my next day off. I promised to answer all their questions then. When they showed up they were not alone. They had a few of their friends, and they all had their young sisters with them. I spend the five hours answering questions about my training as a maiko. The biggest question they asked was why did I want to become a geiko.” Chihiro explained for her grandmother as she started to blush in embarrassment. “I think I might have influenced a few of their sisters.”

“Influenced a few of their younger sisters she says.” Chiaki snorted then busted out laughing. “You did more than influence them Chihiro. Between those three Tokyo okiyas they have five potential shikomi. All using Izumi-senpai as a reference. I’m assuming that they are referring to you.”

“Well, they were all kind of calling me senpai during and after the meeting. I just didn’t think anything of it. I thought that they were well joking around with me.” Chihiro said as they shrugged her shoulders.

“And why would you believe that Chihiro?” Yasu asked her.

“Well, Junko, Nozomi, along with their friends are all older than me and in college. While their sisters might be younger than me they’re still in middle school. How could I be an actual senpai to any of them?” Asked in bewilderment as her aunt, mother, and grandmother all chuckled. “What have I missed?”

“Chihiro-chan to those young women and girls you are their senior. You are already what they hope to become one day. A professional and independent woman. They were not making fun of you dear.” Chiaki explained for her bewildered granddaughter. “They were paying you the respect you have rightly earned.”

“Oh, I never thought about it along those lines. I’m still getting used to the respect people are showing me in the streets and teahouses now.” Chihiro to them with a deepening blush of embarrassment. Looking up at her grandmother. “I’m sorry if I have caused you any problems obee-sama.”

“You haven’t caused me any problems child. I was just surprised to receive so many calls from okiya in Tokyo. Even more surprised when they asked for references from an Izumi-senpai. Needless to say, I was very confused.” Chiaki chuckled as her granddaughter’s blush reached the upper part of her chest. “You can make it up to me after lunch when I return those calls. You get the honor of vouching for or rejecting each one of your kōhai.”

“But I barely know those girls. I wouldn’t know where to being.” Chihiro gasped.

“Do you remember their names and faces Chihiro?” Chiharu asked her daughter.

“Of course, I do mom. You know that I never forget a face or name.” Chihiro huffed.

“Do you remember which girl asked which questions?” Yasu asked her. Chihiro thought about what her aunt was asking before answering.

“For the most part. There are three that really stood out though. The one who stood out the most was Nozomi’s younger sister Natsu. She had just turned fourteen and was the youngest of the teenagers.” Chihiro told them only to see her mother hide a soft chuckle behind her hand. “What do you know momma?”

“Nozomi doesn’t have a younger sister.” Chiharu giggled softly. “She does however have an extremely feminine younger brother.”

“One that is feminine enough to fool even Chihiro’s sharp eyes it seems.” Yasu said as she gave her mother a thoughtful look. “Haha I think it would be wise for us or one of the other Kyoto okiyas to handle that interview. Most of the okiyas in Tokyo still hold to that outdated belief that only women should be geiko or maiko.”

“I have to agree with Yasu, haha. Let me call Mike and get Nozomi’s phone number. If her younger brother wishes to become a maiko. I’ll find him an okiya here in Kyoto to take him in.” Chiharu told her mother as she reached for Chihiro’s phone.

“That would be best. Speaking of Michael and his girlfriend. Has he asked her to marry yet Chihiro?” Chiaki asked of her granddaughter.

“Not yet obee-sama, but I believe it won’t be much longer. He asked me how he should go about meeting with her father.” Chihiro giggled.

“Nor should you know how to answer that question Chihiro. You’re not a man, you’re a geiko of the Oginnoizumi okiya.” Chiaki snorted then laughed. “Though your father never bothered with asking me for permission to marry your mother. So, he might not be the best person to give that advice.”

“No but he was very romantic when he asked me to marry him. In his own clumsy way.” Chiharu sighed as she thought back to that night almost twenty-two years ago.

“He always has cut a dashing figure.” Chiaki chuckled. “Really should get back on topic. Namely how many of Chihiro’s kōhai are acceptable candidates?”

For the next thirty minutes the four women discussed the girls that Chihiro had talked with about becoming maiko. Of the remaining four Chihiro was only willing to vouch for two of them. The other two in Chihiro’s opinion just didn’t have the drive to make it through their shikomi training. As for Nozomi’s younger brother Chihiro was a firm believer that her grandmother needed to interview the teen personally. She even offered to pay for the teen’s train ticket.

Chapter 18
Corporate geishas.

Just before twenty-one-hundred the Izumi trio entered the Blossoms of Great Fortune teahouse. As they setup for their performance Chihiro quickly scanned the faces of the twelve clients. She recognized two them from the night that she had reunited with her father and bothers. It was a couple that Vergil had pointed as his boss and his wife. With a subtle nod in their direction, she pointed them out to her mother and aunt. Both senior geiko took one and nodded in return. It was the other ten people that peaked all their curiosity.

Before the banquet began Matsumura quickly introduce myself and his guests. The three Izumi women were surprised to learn that they were performing for the CEO, CFO, COO, Sales Division Director, and Marketing Director for KG Seafoods. With Matsumura being the Purchasing Director. Over the next half hour, the three geiko took turns dancing while the other two played their shamisen. Shortly after their performances they split up. Each geiko taking two couples. Chiharu as the eldest sat down with the CEO and CFO. Yasu handled the COO and Marketing Director. Chihiro sat down with the Sales Director and Mr. Matsumura.

With just four clients a piece the geiko were able to show case their more esoteric skills. It wasn’t long before all six corporate officers for KG Seafoods were enchanted with the family of geiko. For the mother, aunt, and daughter this night was nothing more than another business engagement. Towards the end of the ozashiki the CEO instructed the everyone but Matsumura and their wives to leave. When Chihiro, Chiharu, and Yasu started to join the exodus he asked them to stay as well. Once it was just the three geiko and two couples the CEO got down to business.

“Thank you for such a wonder evening and staying to talk with us Mistresses.” He began only to have Yasu stop him.

“You will have to forgive me sir but dropping a last minute event on my niece was both unprofessional and rude.” Yasu snarled. “It would have been another matter if you were her danna, but you are not. Even a seasoned geiko like myself or my sister would have been hard pressed to arrange for three geiko on such short noticed. It was only by good fortune that we were having have lunch with my niece at the time of your call. If not for Chiharu and I being free this evening this ozashiki would never have happened. Now that we have placed our cards on the table. What do you want? Surely someone of your caliber is already acting as a danna for a geiko.”

“Very astute of you Mistress Yasu. Yes this was a test of your niece. Not to mention an audition for the three of you.” The man told her honestly.

“Mistress Yasu before you ask please allow us to explain.” Matsumura said quickly coming to the defense of his superior.

“I suggest that you explain quickly Matsumura-san. The geiko of Oginnoizumi okiya does not take kindly to surprise tests of our talent. If our okasan knew of this stunt. KG Seafoods and anyone connect with your company would have been banned from the use of our services. You will find that most okiyas in Kyoto have a similar policy. The only reason my daughter bent over backwards to arrange this evenings ozashiki it the threat that you represent to her father and brothers.” Chiharu snarled coldly. “To be honest. I find your company’s behavior reprehensible.”

“I agree with you Mistress Chiharu. Under normal circumstances both my husband and his company would have gone through the correct process for arranging an audition.” The CEO’s wife told them with a bow of respect. “However, the circumstances are not normal. They are in truth investigating a possible case of embezzlement.”

“You are wondering how my family were able to secure the services of two primer geiko and a newly emerged geiko from Kyoto on such short notice.” Chihiro sighed as she looked over at her mother and aunt. “I’m sorry this is all my fault.”

“Excuse me Mistress Chihiro. How is this your fault?” Matsumura asked her.

“Vergil Talbot is her father. Mike and Greg Talbot are her half-brothers.” Chiharu sighed as she explained the situation. “Vergil is also my ex-husband.”

“Excuse me Mistress Chiharu. Did you say that Vergil Talbot is your ex-husband?” The CEO asked in confusion.

“I did.” Chiharu answered him honestly. Then went on to explain how she and Vergil had once been married. That after their divorce she was granted full custody of Chihiro, and she returned to Kyoto with her daughter. A daughter who wanted to follow in the footsteps of her famous geiko mother and aunt.

“So that was how Vergil was able to arrange for three Kyoto geiko to act as both negotiators and translators on such short notice. He called on his daughter and her family.” Matsumura chuckled as he quickly put two and two together. “Here I was thinking he was somehow embezzling funds to act as your danna.”

“I knew that I should have handled the arrangements for him.” Chiharu snorted then chuckled. “Vergil always was too trusting of his fellow man.”

“Mistress Chiharu are you saying that Talbot-san didn’t think that he would be suspected of embezzlement?” The CEO asked in surprise.

“Sir, my father is many things. He’s bright, ambitious, hardworking, and loyal to a fault.” Chihiro told the man with a slight giggle. “But at times his sense of duty and honor blinds him to the darker motivations of the world.”

“It would seem that this has all been a grave misunderstanding on the part of myself, and the rest of my senior company officers.” The CEO sighed. “Mistresses I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and our suspicion of you. I would like to thank you for clearing the name of a good man.”

“Sir can I know why you suspected my father of embezzlement other than how he was able to secure our services.” Chihiro asked the man kindly.

“Ah. That would be my fault Mistress Chihiro.” Matsumura said as he cringed. “You see your father and bothers have constantly turned in record setting purchases. When they were able to basically break the back of the independent factory fishing ships. I had to investigate. I was wondering if my other purchasers could duplicate their methods. When I questioned them all three said the same thing. That if had not been for the efforts of you three. They would never have reached those deals.”

“I doubt that sir. My father and brothers can be extremely persuasive when push comes to shove. Especially my father. Far warning. Never play poker with him for more than pennyante stakes. You do and you’ll lose your shirt, if not your company.” Chihiro giggled. “The only people I know of that stand a chance against him. Are professional poker players in places like Los Vegas.”

“What of your brothers young lady?” Matsumura asked with a thoughtful look.

“Michael has a gift for languages and conversation. His skills in these two areas would reveal that of any seasoned geiko’s talents. Gregory has the mind of a steel trap and a thrust for knowledge. Knowledge that he uses to twist any situation to his advantage. My stepsons use their skills to wage verbal warfare turning any negotiation into a battlefield. Separately they are formidable generals in their own right. Together they are unstoppable.” Chiharu told him honestly.

“When you add their father into the mix. They’ll swindle the devil himself.” Chihiro giggled as the two corporate executives realized just who they had employed. “You give my family another two years and they’ll run the docks.”

“Matsumura-san if you want to get a jump on the tuna market. Send my ex-husband and stepsons to America at the beginning of the season with a blank check. If you really want to corner the Pacific tuna market. Tell them to hunt down and hire a fleet of twenty to twenty-five long-line sports fishers with captains.” Yasu told him with a small smile. “Use American captains and crews. No Japanese. There is a reason the American tuna fishers constantly bring in the big tuna. They might work for the same company or broker, but they are not friends.”

“Nothing is more competitive than an American Redneck fishing boat captain.” Chiharu chuckled. “Just ask the producers of Wicked Catch.”

“Goro my love do us all a favor. Just listen to the lovely Mistresses. This is one time that all of your planning will be for nothing if you ignore the advice of a woman.” The CEO’s wife told him with a small chuckle.

“Emica I believe you’re right. Matsumura we have taken up enough of these ladies time. Make sure to double their pay and put it on the company card.” The CEO ordered the other man as he took the hand of his wife. “Come along love. I still have to work in the morning, and you need to meet Kai at the station.”

After the two company officers had bid the three geiko good night and left. Chihiro wasn’t the only one to breath a heavy sigh of relief. “Mom we do the right thing when helped out dad and the guys?”

“We did dear. The problem was we didn’t think of the impact that our help would have on their careers. I should have known better.” Chiharu sighed then chuckled. “I forget that ninety-nine percent of Americans fail to realize the importance that a geiko at a business meeting has. This was all my fault.”

“You’re not the only one at fault here sister. After all I was the personal geisha for Shimada-san not that long ago. More than once I saw him work a business deal during one of my performances or banquets. We were doing nothing more than what we spent our teens and early twenties training to do. I should have seen the fallout from us help Vergil and the boys long before now.” Yasu sighed.

“What do you mean Aunt Yasu?” Chihiro asked her.

“What your aunt is trying to say is simple Chihiro. Over the next years first your father then your brothers will be expected to work bigger and bigger deals. They will become KG Seafoods’ go-to men. Simply because they are beginning to understand the subtle nuances for the art of conversation.” Chiharu explained then chuckled. “Within two years coupled with their natural skills of negotiation and abilities. They will exceed their supervisor’s original plans for them.”

“And that CEO will make sure it happens. In many ways their future success is all because of the help we provided for their negotiants with those ships.” Chiharu explained. “I would be surprised that we receive similar requests in the future.”

“Wouldn’t that be a good thing mom? I mean we made more in those five days. Then you did in the previous year.” Chihiro asked in confusion.

“If they come to rely on us for closing their deals Chihiro. They’ll never grown beyond their current limits. I know your father and brothers dear. I believe that for now it would be in their best interest that we turn down their request in the near future.” Chiharu told her. Chihiro looked over at her aunt and saw the same look of concern in her eyes. “Remember Chihiro. Geiko are artists. We study all forms of dance. One of those dances is the dance between corporations.”

“Much like sumo is the dance between giants, and war is the dance between nations. Business negotiations is the dance between corporations.” Chihiro said as she grasped the meaning behind her mother’s advice. “My father and brothers must learn to dance on their own if they’re to succeed.”

“Very good Chihiro. You understand the danger from us leaned them too much of a help hand.” Yasu told her with a smile.

“Excuse me Mistresses. But unless you have another party scheduled. I would like to close up now.” The owner of the teahouse said as entered the room.

“No, we’re done for the evening madam. Thank you for allowing us to stay a little longer than expected. We’ll be leaving now.” Chiharu told her and led the way out.

Chapter 19
Epilogue.

As she rode to bullet train to Chiba. Chihiro thought back over the last thirteen years of her life with real pride. She had undergone her SRS at twenty-two completing her journey to woman. She was now twenty-eight and was one of the most sought after geiko in all of Japan. IN the last eight years her fame had grown slowly but steadily. Her family had settled down all across Japan. Her mother and aunt had each found themselves a danna and were now living in Tokyo. She knew that her grandmother wasn’t going to retire soon but Chiaki had officially appointed Chihiro as her atotori last year. This might not have been the life Chihiro dreamt of having when she was fifteen, but it had become a truly full filling one.

Her father was now second only to Matsumura at KG Seafood. He held one of the highest positions within the company and not due to retire for another fifteen years. He had also remarried for a third time. Her brothers’ standing with KG Seafoods had become a source of pride for the young geiko. Though not as much as their personal standing in Japanese society. Mike and Nozomi had married five years and were expecting their second child. Greg finally married Junko two years ago and just had their first child a little boy.

The one dark spot during that whole time was her return to Ohio five years ago. Agent Cutter and the prosecuting DA had managed to get her testimony heard in closed court. The trip had last three days. Try as hard as he could the Defense Attorney couldn’t get her testimony thrown out. At one point the Judge threatened the man with contempt because of his attitude towards Chihiro. After the defendants were found guilty and sent to prison Shimada made a few phone calls. The remaining members of the Marquese gang soon found themselves in protected custody. It seems that threatening the life of a Japanese National treasure didn’t go over very well with the yakuza members behind bars.

“Attention all passengers. Next stop Chiba station.” The announcement drew Chihiro’s attention back to the here and now. Chihiro smiled as the train started to slow down for its next stop. Standing up slowly Chihiro gathered her purse and umbrella. When the train pulled to a stop at the platform she spotted her brothers waiting for her. After grabbing her suitcase Chihiro left the train.

“It’s good to see sis.” Mike said as he pulled her into a hug. “Nozomi can’t wait to see you. She’d have been here to greet you herself but well the doctors.”

“Say no more you big lug. I know that this pregnancy has been hard on her. What I don’t understand is why. She didn’t have any problems with her first pregnancy.” Chihiro told her brother honestly.

“What he hasn’t told you is that Nozomi is expecting triples little sister.” Greg told her with a friendly chuckle. At her look of a stunned disbelief both brothers chuckled. “That’s right Chihiro. Nozomi is carrying triplets. A first for her family and from what dad says. The fifth set in nine generations of Talbots.”

“Congratulations Mike. Do you know what she’s having?” Chihiro asked excitedly.

“Another boy and two girls.” Mike told her as he puffed up with fatherly pride. “Though Greg should know better than to share family secrets.”

“I would have found out anyway Mike.” Chihiro giggled. “Though I do have to ask one very important question guys. Why did you ask me to spend my vacation with you?”

“Not here little sister.” Greg told her quietly. “Once we get to the house I’ll explain. We need your advice on a personal matter.”

An hour later setting in the living room of her brother Greg’s home Chihiro was still wondering why she was there. Junko, Mike, and Greg were setting around the low table in the middle of the room. In the center of the table was a teapot and four cups. Chihiro took it upon herself to serve the tea. Once everyone had been served Chihiro decided to get down to the matter at hand.

“Okay guys what is so important that you wouldn’t talk with me over the phone?”

“Do you remember my youngest sister Hotaru?” Junko asked her.

“She would be about fourteen or fifteen now right?” Chihiro asked her.

“She just turned fifteen.” Mike told her then sighed. “Hotaru wants to follow in her sister’s footsteps becoming a maiko.”

“Hold on guys. If you’re wanting me to talk her out of following her dreams. You can forget about it. You know how I feel about my profession.”

“That’s not what we want Chihiro. We were hoping that you might recommend a okiya for her. One that is in Tokyo.” Junko told her quickly.

“Okay I see what you’re wanting now. Let me think about it. I might have to visit a few of them before I knew which one to suggest.” Chihiro knew exactly what Junko wanted just then. The only problem she had was she didn’t know to many of the Tokyo okiyas. “If this was Kyoto I could give you a list of the top of my head.”

“Besides the family okiya Chihiro. Which ones would you recommend?” Junko asked.

“Rose of Fortune, Garden of Light, Golden Pines, Crystal Blossoms. Just to name a few. Though if I were to pick one above the others that wasn’t the family okiya I would have to say the Golden Butterfly would be her best choice. They’re one of the smaller okiyas but they are also on para with the family’s okiya.” Chihiro told her with a small grin as she giggled. “Our great aunt is their okasan.”

“And family history repeats itself once more.” Mike said grinning.


This story was written in response to a challenge from my oldest daughter Ahmie. I hope you have enjoyed reading it.

up
296 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So THIS is what Suzume was

Beoca's picture

So THIS is what Suzume was worried about when "escorted" back to the Nakatoma compound and her father Lt. Walking Water? That explains a thing or two. I have a feeling I don't want to know about the sheer amount of research that must have gone into this, but the end result is an absolutely fantastic story.

8 corkboards of notes

wolfjess7's picture

*author points to the 8 cork boards of notes hanging on her office walls.* Let's just say that my daughter did most of the research. I have enough for 2-3 more books from the sheer amount of notes she provided.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I figured that you were re

I figured that you were re-using a lot of the research you did for the Daughter of Death series.

Glad to see you busy - it was a good story, if different than "the usual suspects".

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Reminds

GrandiaKnight's picture

Was having flashes of Interview with a Lolita while reading this. Any chance you might be continuing that story soon?

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

Once I finish off Speed Demons

wolfjess7's picture

I have been working on the notes for continuing Interview with a Lolita. I hope to return to it after i finish Speed Demons and Black Sword.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Great!

GrandiaKnight's picture

Thanks for responding. I look forward to it!

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

my only

Maddy Bell's picture

issue is - why did you post it in one? i've just spent 4 hours reading it!

Interesting tale indeed


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

It was a challenge

wolfjess7's picture

The reason for posting it one go is simple. My daughter challenged me to write a story that could be posted in its entirety that cover the following.

1) It had to be a transgender.
2) It had to have an element of forced transition,
3) It had to be a story about hiding in plain sight.
4) It had to deal with a cultural change.
5) It had to be realistically possible not sci-fi just fictional.
6) It had to have no less than 5 anime Easter Eggs,

She is still hunting down the Easter Eggs (giggles) there are 8. Can you find them?

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Very nice.

Well researched and well written. Thank you for bringing back fond memories of time spent there.

ShadowCat

Almost 4yrs

wolfjess7's picture

Between my time in the army and the work I have done as a civilian contractor. I have spent almost 4 years in the land of the raising sun. Even though I am retired now I still receive requests to work on short term projects in Japan every now and then. Though in the last 2 years I have had to turn down a lot of work because of COVID-19 travel restrictions.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

You would think

Dee Sylvan's picture

that you were a geisha trying to explain your upbringing and training to a Westerner. I think you hit all of your daughters challenges. I especially like the story once Chihiro becomes a geisha, showing her feminine wiles at work. Hat's off for such a thoroughly enjoyable and educational journey into the geisha world.

DeeDee

I can honesty say

wolfjess7's picture

I can honestly say that this story was extremely challenging to write. Not just because of the challenge my daughter proposed but the whole cultural aspect of the geisha. Even though there is a great deal of information on line concerning those ladies. There is very little beyond the public view. A lot the okiya and hanamachi still hold a great many secrets especially those in the Kyoto region of Japan. A lot of this story is purely supposition on my part gleaned from my research. I was actually surprised to learn that there is a growing number of MALE geisha among the art form. At one time there was only one left in all of Japan. Then in 2007 there was a massive up swing in their numbers. Thanks in part to a documentary on the last male geisha at the time. I was surprised to learn that the average of these young boys entering their maiko training was the same age as most girls who wish to become geisha. Contrary to what you might believe these young men are not Drag Queens or female impersonators but true masters of their craft.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

On the run, Geisha style

This story was masterfully developed and presents a difficult, potentially horribly life changing abuse of trust, and weaves it into a positive, page turner of a story. You are a very skillful artist. Thank you for every word.

Easter egg

The Golden Butterfly okiya. It looks like a reference to the Golden Butterfly clan from Interpol Heartburn chapter 21.

Thx for another great story^^

Contradiction

> This gave Jason a good look at that their faces. Jason had seen in those four faces on the local news more than once.

And later it is stated: "Mrs. Talbot until now no one has ever seen the faces of the Marquese gang. [...]"

Only one of these citations can be true.

Just because they had done

Beoca's picture

Just because they had done some sort of local crime does not mean they could be knowingly identified as the group that is the Marquese gang. Seeing faces on the news is not the same as knowing the group itself and being able to identify them in court, especially when camera footage is likely not as detailed as what Jason saw with his own two eyes.