A mother’s Christmas wish.

Printer-friendly version


A mother's Christmas wish.

At this time of the year a great many wishes are made in hopes of receiving a special toy or doll, a new dress or suit, a hot meal, and warm bed. Yet what is a mother’s wish? As a mother I would like to share my wish with you all in this short story. Maybe even spread a little hope at the end of this year of troubling times. A year filled with unsettling events and fear.


Deep in the snow-covered mountains sits a nondescript farmhouse. It is not much to look at from the outside. Yet a light burns bright from a living room window. Off to one side near the far front corner stands a lonely Christmas tree. In the center of the room sits a well-worn but cared for couch. It is bookended by two handcrafted wooden end tables. The end tables are matched by the coffee that sits in the center of the braided rug that covers the heartwood floors. Smoke rolls from the chimney as the fireplace gives off a welcoming warm. Just off to the side of the hearth sits a antique rocking chair. The sounds of classical music fill the air thanks to the Victor victrola record player in the corner opposite the Christmas tree. The whole house is filled with the smells of backing bread wafting from the kitchen.

Outside the snow is gently falling once more covering the ground with a fresh layer of powder. In the stable the horses sleep contently under the heavy blankets. Fresh hay recently spread in their individual stalls by their owner warms their hooves. Their bellies are full of fresh oats, feed, and water. The majestic animals simply know that they are loved and cared for by their humans. To them the troubles of the world mean nothing. Deep in their racial memory the horrors of war still reside yet hold no true meaning for them in this place of peace.

Within the farmhouse the owner signs softly to herself as she readies herself for her guests. For most ladies this would be nothing more than a quick shower, makeup, and a nice dress. Not for this woman. Oh, she had showered, done her makeup, and was dressed in her finest dress. Yet she had one more thing to do before she was ready to greet her dinner guests. Standing in front of the small shrine that held the pictures of late husband she sent up a silent prayer. A prayer for protection over their daughter who was off facing the horrors of war.

Like so many mothers around the world the woman knew that price that was paid by the men and women of the military. She knew the hardships of separation from loved ones for long periods of time. She knew the terror that grips a soldier as they face down the fire of their enemy. The pain of hearing a comrade crying out in pain and not being able to help. The smell of blood and guts spilled by the weapons of violence. The thunder of guns ringing in their ears drowning out all sanity. She knew these things because she had faced them herself. She had seen the inhumanity that all men were capable of on the battlefield in her younger years.

With her prayer offered up to her husband and the goddess the woman heads downstairs to the kitchen. With just two hours to go until her guests arrived the mother set about finishing the meal. Everything had to be perfect for her guests. These were no ordinary guests for her. Not in her eyes by a long shot. They were all special and deserving of nothing but her best efforts.

The spiral cut ham hand been slowly cooking over a low wood-flame in the grill on the porch. The potatoes were boiled to the point of being ready for mashing. A cup of milk, half stick of butter, joined the potatoes in the standing mixer. The corn had been boiled, strained, and put to bowl with a quarter stick of butter. The homemade bread had been tabled and placed on warmers. The cranberry sauce was chilled, bowled, and placed on the table rest. Her finest holiday china had been washed and now set the table. The silverware had been washed, polished, and placed ready for use. The crystal with the family crest placed near each table setting. All was in readiness. All she need now was her guests.

Just after the grandfather’s clock chimed three a knock sounded on her front door. Removing her apron, she head for the door. She greeted the first of her honored guests with a smile. The line was short but each one was a welcome sight in her eyes. Though there was one not among their number that she wanted to see more than any other. Taking their dark blue, and black overcoats from her guests the mother hung them up with great care in the coatroom off the living room.

There were nine in all. Five men and four women. Each one with a face young but worn by weather and hard living. Each a member of the Armed Services. All from the local the families. Sons and daughters that hear and answered the call to serve something greater than themselves. To her these young men and women were something more. They were family in her eyes. They were seen as her sons and daughters. Today she would care for them as they had protected her and the free citizens of her nation. Her only wish though would not be answered this Christmas day.

Once all of her cooking was done her guests gathered around the table. As the ham was set in the center of the table and the wine was poured the youngsters all stood. They waited for their hostess to take her place at the head of the table. In the local area this woman was held in high regard. She may have come among their number as the widow of a local boy who became a soldier at first, but that soon changed. When the local elders learned of her status as a veteran and now the mother of a soldier word was quickly handed down. She was to be treated as a widowed elder among their number. The mountain people of this remote area of the country respected those had the title of elder. Especially those who were widowed at a young age and had seen or done what this woman had in her life.

Before they began to eat each youngster handed their host a small, wrapped gift. From the Navy she received clear winds and fallowing seas. From the Marines her gift was one of never-ending faithfulness and bravery. The Coast Guard gave onto her was that of constant vigilance and loyalty. The Air Force came with a gift of Integrity, Selfless Service, and above all else Excellence. The last gift was from the Army. It was also one she has known for many years having been the recipient of it before. Thought it was not the gift she had wished for the mother know the meaning behind Duty, Honor, and Country. For like her deceased husband and missing daughter she too was a soldier. As she wiped the tears from her eyes the mother waved for her guests to take their seats.

As she took her place at the head of the table the mother looked to the empty place at the far end. The reserved for one final guest. Sadly, it would remain empty on this day. Waiting for someone far away defending the nation that she so loved that would give onto it both her husband and child. Those gather around this knew the true price of freedom was the blood of tyrants and constant vigilance.

They knew that for them enjoy this time of peace some must stand watch. As their host raised her glass of wine, they quickly filled their own glasses. “To those who stand in the cold, the dark, the rain, the blowing wind. For those who are far from home. For those who will pay the ultimate price for peace. Let them not be forgotten on this day of festivity and thanks. May the Goddess grant them that which they have fought so hard to grant us. Amen.”

As one the nine youngsters jumped to their feet calling out as one. “Amen!”

“The hot stuff is getting cold and the cold is getting warm. Sit, eat, drink, and be merry my guests. For today is a day for feasting and merriment. Let the joy for which this day is known fill your hearts. For in the morning, you must return to your posts and the hardships that await you. Yet, know this my young friends.” The mother said she waved her arm to take in her home. “Within these walls you shall forever be welcome, and never forgotten.”

“We know Top.” The young Corporal of the Army said with a smile as he used the time-honored nickname for a US Army First Sergeant. Looking down at the silver dress watch on his wrist the young man smiled. “We have one final gift Top. It should have arrived when we did but was delayed slightly because of heavy reindeer traffic. I think you’ll appreciate this one more than the others, Top.”

At the confused look on the mother’s face came a knock on her front door. Standing up from her place at the table she went to the door. Not knowing what to expect she slowly opened it. There in the falling snow stood a solitary figure huddled again the cold in their heavy trench coat. When the figure finally looked at the mother a look of amazement and happiness graced the woman’s face. There before her was the one diner guest she had wished for on this day. “Hi mom. I made it home.”


Happy Holidays to one and all. May the peace of the Goddess be with on this festive time of the year.

up
271 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Beautiful.

WillowD's picture

What a truly beautiful story. Thank you.

Rememberance

Thank you again for a great story. It is gratifying to people who have served to know that people still remember us and those who gave their all.

so very beautiful

thank you so much for sharing it

DogSig.png

FU.CK

Jessie,girl,on this specjal day,you managed to do something unlikely,you made old non-commmissioned officer of Polish army reconnaissance,a veteran to tears...thank you very much my sister,by the way,I also scored the Balkans...Thank You ❤❤

As one who has stood my share......

D. Eden's picture

Of lonely bridge watches on Christmas, and has spent more than a few Christmas nights alone and far from home, thank you for remembering those who stand upon that wall, those who stand those lonely watches, and those who fly with the eagles this night.

Absent comrades.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Expressing

Snarfles's picture

I have tried to formulate words to express how this tale, and the deep emotions it has triggered, to no avail. The tears keep blurring my vision and my fingers seem to deliberately miss the keys as I type. So... to all my brothers and sisters, to all the mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers, sons and daughters, of those who stand in the dark rainy, cold, and lonely places, I can only say:

Semper Fidelis

And wish you all the moments of joy and happiness you can handle.

Merry Christmas

A Mother’s wish

To those of you who served(regardless of the flag you served under) Peace be with you. I thank each of you for your service and I wish you best of Health and a Merry Christmas.

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

May we

always honor those who serve.

Beautiful!

Thank you for the lovely tribute to our military family.