Another Side Of My Life - Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

kim.jpg

Another Side of My Life – Chapter 15
By Julie D Cole

I decided that I should wash my hair whilst in the shower since the free bathroom products were good quality and smelled much nicer than those I’d brought from home. I didn’t lock the bathroom door as I expected privacy. I was wrong.

Sarah knocked and opened the door saying to excuse her but she was desperate to use the toilet. She didn’t seem to look directly at me and I did my best to turn towards the wall so she only had a rear view. At least the bath screen was translucent, so it gave me some privacy. She just calmly sat on the pan to empty her bladder without any sign of embarrassment and in fact she chatted as if we were at a bus stop. She told me that she had sent a text to Maggie who told her that Laura and Jane had not answered the phone in their room nor responded to calls or messages to their i-phones.

It was left that Debs was going to knock on their door to see if they were asleep or had more visitors. Fortunately Sarah finally seemed to respect my privacy and she washed and dried her hands and left the bathroom. I gave a sigh of relief and finished my shower as quickly as I could in case she decided to check that she hadn’t forgotten anything. The mirror was steamed up that may have been in my favour when Sarah was chatting whilst enthroned. I dried myself off as quickly as possible admiring my smooth hairless skin. I put on fresh panties and tucked myself in and wrapped myself in the complementary large white fluffy dressing gown that must fit somebody 7’ tall.

In all honesty my nipples were a little sore and I did have an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach that was no doubt self-inflicted so I hadn’t been totally untruthful to Sarah. As I left the bathroom there was a knock on the room door. I looked through the spyhole and saw it was Maggie so I let her in.

‘No sign of Laura and Jane. Well they aren’t answering the door or their phones. I hope they are OK and didn’t get into any trouble. It’s definitely the last time I’ll invite either of them along on a trip. They are so selfish and stupid. We have a train to catch at 1pm. I don’t know what to do. Should we just leave anyway? What if they got into some sort of trouble?’

I was surprised how Sarah spoke up. ‘It would serve the pair of them right. They are so selfish and don’t care about us. They behave like sex starved animals and give girls from the North a bad reputation.’

I tried to calm things down. ‘How about we contact Jack and ask him to call his friends at the club to see if they know what happened or what time they left.’

Maggie immediately agreed that was a good idea and her and Debs should have thought of it too. Now I guess it was my responsibility to call him since Maggie said he was more likely to pick up if he was still in bed and saw his girls number. Ha ha if only. That was impossible even though I was becoming very attracted by the idea. I had to stop thinking like that and reminded myself of the sad ending in the book I Want What I Want that had given me the idea to explore.

At least Jack was awake and much to Maggies delight he picked up immediately. I put out my tongue and explained that I was with Maggie and Sarah and would put him on loud speaker. Maggie told him they’d tried to locate Laura and Jane without luck and expressed her concerns about their safety. He tried to calm us down and said he’d come over and he’d make a few calls in the meantime. He doubted anything sinister had happened since the club had a good reputation with security staff present.

Maggie went to give Debs an update whilst Sarah and I finished getting dressed. Sarah sat and waited whilst I applied some make-up and she teased me a little asking if it was just for Jacks benefit since we weren’t going anywhere. In truth I just felt it made me feel like the woman I was trying to be and I wanted to hide any sign of masculinity.

I didn’t want to wear my shorts again so I opted for my short denim jeans skirt and a light weight leopard print top with short sleeves to disguise any sign of muscle definition. Not that there was much evidence even when I flexed my arms and I’d avoided any sports or activity that might develop them since I was around 12 years of age. It had been worth putting up with ridicule and bullying at school now I was able to appear so convincing without any challenge so far. I chose to wear flats again since I might be walking a lot and more than likely heading home later. I could go to Kings Cross station in a cab with the girls to save us struggling with luggage.

Debs and Maggie had a table in the restaurant when we arrived for breakfast and confirmed that there was still no news. Strange but in just 2 days I felt completely comfortable in their presence and was accepted as the young woman I so craved to be. Maybe I could live the rest of my life like this provided mum came to terms with it and I could find a suitable job where I was accepted.

We chatted whilst we ate and I told Debs that I was probably heading home since I needed to sort out my credit cards and lost driving license and a few other things before I went back to work. She said that Jack would be disappointed and that she hoped I’d keep in touch with him since we looked good together. I just smiled and acknowledged the complement. We were nibbling on toast and marmalade when Jack arrived and he joined us at the table for a coffee. He greeted us individually with a peck on the cheek and I was the last. I blushed as Debs produced a chair so that he sat between us.

He’d managed to contact the bar manager who re-assured him that Laura and Jane were still in the club dancing with some of the artists at around 2am and that he understood they were all heading off to an all-night party since there was no show on Sundays and they could sleep all day. He expected that they’d stayed over and all crashed out. He offered to check with a few of the artists and he’d let Jack know.

Maggie was furious. ‘They just don’t care. They are supposed to check out by 11am and their things are in the room. I’m ashamed of them and they seem to have flipped. I hope they haven’t been on Ecstasy or Speed again. They lose all control of their senses when they get drinking shots.’

Jack shook his head in disbelief. ‘We can’t seem to stamp it out in our clubs down here whatever checks we put in place. That’s why I moved on. I had enough at home and I know what Laura is like. She is easily led I’m afraid and obviously hasn’t learned her lesson.’

It went quiet after that and I sensed Debs trying to change the subject and she was looking Jack straight in the eye. He went quiet and then his phone rang.

‘Found them. They are still asleep at Blairs place. Laura was ill in the night and Blair suggests she stays in bed and forgets any idea of going home today. Jane is not as bad but she is staying with Laura so she hopes we can keep their room for another night. I’ll sort that out and if we need to move their gear into my storeroom maybe you can all help me.’

I felt we couldn’t leave this mess to Jack so I offered to help if necessary but told him I was thinking to head home. He looked disappointed but he said nothing. We went to reception and Jack had a chat with his friend the Duty Manager. The room was already booked so Jack arranged for us to settle the bill between us and Debs and Maggie were given access to pack their belongings.

We all shared the bills that made a dent in my cash that would make it awkward to do what I wanted and book a hotel for the rest of the week. My cheapest option seemed to be to head home. Then Jack pulled me aside and said it would be helpful if I stayed to help him with Laura who was likely to be abusive and rude. He offered to loan me the funds I needed to stay the rest of the week and trusted me to pay him back.

I owed him for saving my vacation and introducing me to his sister and her friends so it didn’t take me long to agree. ‘But Jack I can’t afford anything too expensive.’

‘Well how about you still helping me through the week in the evenings and that will help fund your daytime exploits.’

‘Ok if you need help then provided my hotel is not far away that sounds fair. But prices will be high if this hotel is anything to go by.’

‘Don’t worry I think you might trust me enough by now to come and stay at my place. Well I hope so at least.’

‘Jack I’m not sure. I don’t think it’s fair to inconvenience you. Sleeping on the couch can’t be very comfortable.’

‘Anything is ok for me if it helps you enjoy the rest of your visit to London. I would sleep on a bed of nails if necessary.’

‘Let me think about it but you have already been very kind.’

‘Well in truth I’ve never met anybody like you before and I’m amazed at my luck.’

Sarah linked arms with me and smiled.’ What are you waiting for Julie. I’m happy to be substitute but I don’t think I’m in the running. I also think it will make Laura even angrier when she recovers enough to get some of her senses back.’

‘That’s asking a lot. She is a fruitcake. That must be the problem she had with Jack. Was she on drugs?’

‘You’ll have to ask Jack the details but I don’t think you are far out with your guess.’

We all collected our bags and moved mine, Lauras and Janes into the storeroom. We sat on two comfy sofas in the reception area and I sat as straight as possible and crossed my legs like the others. I felt completely comfortable in the group and regretted not biting the bullet before now. Apart from a few short excursions I’d not ventured far before.

Jack did one more check to ensure that Laura and Jane had come around enough to satisfy Debs and Maggie they could travel home without conscience. Then we all hugged each other and I gave out my e-mail address and promised to set up a Facebook account so we could keep in contact.

Then the girls headed for the rail station after another round of hugs. Sarah insisted that I keep in touch and visit her soon and whispered that she loved me.

Jack turned to me and suggested we take my belongings to his apartment. Probably to ensure I didn’t change my mind. He carried my bag and we headed for the underground station on Kensington High Street and he insisted I linked arms with him.

Even with one change on the underground it didn’t take long to arrive at Jacks apartment building. It seemed like so much had happened since my first visit 3 nights ago.

Everything was tidy and it looked like Jack had gone to a lot of trouble to clean and prepare. He must have had this planned. I was nervous again but on the one hand I felt Jack was to be trusted but on the other hand I wanted him to take me in his arms and for some magic to take place that might turn me into the woman I wanted to be. I now knew how the author of the book must have felt if indeed he/she was indeed Roy pseudo Wendy Ross.

Jack took my bag into his bedroom and I sat and looked around his living room again taking more notice of his décor. He had good taste and he’d used bright colours. I focused again on the framed photograph on the table at the side of his leather chair. I walked over to it to examine it more closely and picked it up. Jack came into the room and saw me so I apologised and put it back down.

‘It’s Ok Julie you are my guest so feel free.’

‘Jack, you said this was your sister but this is not Debs. Am I right?’

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So the Other Shoe Drops...

Looking forward to the details, and also to finding out who has clocked Julie-- Sarah, Jack, neither or both.

And also, I guess, where Laura and Jane are going to end up if the hotel hasn't room for them. (My mind started singing "Midnight Train to Georgia", but looking it up, Tbilisi is four days away by rail with changes in something like six different countries.(g) )

Eric

Thanks Eric

I try my best to keep you guessing but I have to take great care. You don't miss anything. Thanks for your observations.

Jules