Another Side of My Life - Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Girls-in-Leeds.jpg

Another Side of My Life
Chapter 8
By Julie D Cole

Thanks to Holly for reminding me that I never finished this story. My Sony computer fell to pieces.
I intend to complete it in a few chapters. So sorry.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Here I am on a week-long vacation in London having decided to live a dream and spend the whole time as Julie site seeing and interacting with people. Unfortunately, on arrival in London I was attacked and robbed with no idea of my hotel, no credit cards, no return ticket home and no mobile phone. I was helped by a barman who took pity on me and came to my rescue. His sister and her friends had come to London for a long weekend and I was taken under their wings for a while with an offer to take up a spare place due to a last minute cancellation.

Chapter 8

I hardly had chance to get to know any of the girls yet they seemed to have adopted me and Debbie was especially kind just like her brother. I figured that they must have been raised very well as two good Samaritans. I was brought up in the same way, yet this was the first time I’d ever been the one on the receiving end of kindness.

I smiled back at Debbie, ‘It’s OK Debs you don’t have to explain anything. Really you don’t. Jack has been so kind and I don’t know what I’d have done without his help.’

‘Yes, Jack is a special type of person. He always has been and it’s wonderful to see him so happy at last. He loves his life away from home and people who knew us. He is a people person and he has looked out for me as we grew up even though we are twins. He was always a leader. I have some great memories even though he would spend most of time with the boys. You did know that we are twins didn’t you?’

‘I wasn’t sure since Jack didn’t say. He just showed me a framed photograph of you and I can see the resemblance but you don’t seem to be identical twins even though you have similar features. You seem to have changed a bit if you don’t mind me saying. Now you have softer features.’

‘Well make-up helps. We were totally identical as young children growing up until he decided to shave off his hair and when he was 12 or 13 he insisted to do exercises to try to bulk himself up like other boys at our school. I hope he doesn’t get too attached to you too quickly because he soon falls in love and he has had a few relationships. He is different and he gets frustrated with himself because he can be a bit full on. He’s been hurt a couple of times.’

‘I’m sorry to hear that but he doesn’t seem the type to get hurt he seems very confident and outgoing. I like his sense of humour and he looks as if he works out a bit. He has strong arms and a slim waist. I trusted him and felt safe. He was a total gentleman last night. I do like him. He is very nice.’

‘I’m not trying to steer you clear of him and I can tell he is very fond of you and not every girl is accepting of his mood swings as he’s realised to his cost.’

‘I didn’t see any sign of mood swings but anyway I’m… I’m not looking for a relationship. Perhaps it’s just that I would like to repay the debt I owe. He gave me chance to calm down and think a bit to work things out and he was so sweet.’

‘But you have an engagement ring. That’s another problem. Sometimes he seems to want to compete just to prove himself. I have told him not to panic. Laura was seen on him but she was frustrated and she lost patience. She wanted to move in with him but he rejected her and he walked away.’

‘Did she give in and forget him then? She seems bitter.’

‘Sort of. He just created a situation where she lost her temper and made it clear they’d never had sex as she liked to suggest. She was totally embarrassed and she gave up on him. I did my best not to interfere even though Laura did ask me to get involved. I couldn’t.’
‘I guess they weren’t meant to be. But he seems happy.’

‘Yes he is happier than I’ve ever seen him just now. He likes the job but it’s a bit beneath him really. He gave up university because of social abuse but please don’t say anything. He had a friend at University who lived in London so he moved down here then he found this current job. He has done OK for money because our Gran helped us.’
‘Oh what happened to his friend?’
‘She met someone else. Another girl. If you two ever get it together I’m sure he’ll tell you but really It’s better I leave it at that. Just don’t hurt him please.’

‘Debs I promise I won’t hurt him I’m not expecting to be his girlfriend or to have much contact. Other than re-paying him of course. I’m just on vacation and there is no relationship to hurt.’

‘Let’s see. Just remember that I know him better than anybody.’

What a strange conversation. Not only was I being accepted as Julie but I was considered as a catch for Jack and Debs felt he liked me a lot. Since arriving in London I barely had chance to breathe. This was the longest spell I’d ever had as Julie. I’d had a day out on a couple of occasions and an overnight stay in a low budget hotel where I’d checked in and out as Julie but no more than that. That was my test run. Now it was like I was thinking and acting like a girl and so far, I hadn’t slipped up. How to calm down and not get over-confident. How to anticipate and avoid embarrassing situations problems before I get to like it?’

We caught the others up at the entrance to the park and we walked together as a group chatting. I removed my heels to walk on the grass and Jane joined me and took my hand. It was her excuse to chat and I tried to match her stride taking smaller steps than usual. Laura made some sarcastic remark about Debs and I becoming new best friends and that they all wanted to know more about me, especially since I was due to share a room and a bed with Sarah. On reflection I thought that I ought to have spent another night with Jack but in view of what Debs had said I felt a night with Sarah might be the lesser risk. I could feel myself thinking more and more about Jack. I had to deal with it. I liked him and I wanted to help him get over his difficulties with women.

How could I? I was no expert and I could hardly let him get too friendly. In less than a week I needed to head home and revert to my less exciting life and my job.

Walking across the park the girls decided to take up Jacks offer of a meal at an Italian restaurant, but I felt it was not appropriate to join them since I had agreed to help Jack in the bar. I felt obliged because he’d been very kind and it was Friday night and I expected that the bar was going to be busy. Lots of business people would head home early from work to start the weekend but there was likely to be lots of weekend visitors to London and the Rules hotel was fully booked along with several other hotels in South Kensington according to Jack. Added to that there were concerts at the Royal Albert Hall which was just a stone’s throw away.

The other 4 girls went to freshen up whilst Debs and I met Jack. He was pleased to see us and he said that he had a gift for me. It wasn’t wrapped in gift paper just in a plain plastic bag. I opened it to find a mobile phone.

‘Jack, you shouldn’t have done. You’ve been kind enough already. It’s very kind of you. Wow it’s an i-phone. This is too much Jack. You didn’t need to do this. Please let me pay you for it.’

‘Look Jules it’s fine really it is. Anyway, this will help me keep track of you and as a bonus you can now call your mum to let her know I haven’t attacked you.’

He explained that it was his old phone but it still looked new to me and he’d obviously replaced the cover with a new pink one. I might need to get a clutch or a handbag to keep it safe and out of sight. He’d bought me a sim card with £30 of call credit to cover initial calls. I felt awkward at his generosity but I was too polite to refuse and I said I didn’t know how to thank him and I needed to pay him back.

‘No rush Jules your smile is enough. We can always sort it later.’

Then he stepped forward and leaned forward to kiss me. I must have blushed, but I didn’t turn away and it was no more than a friendly kiss even though it was on the lips.

‘At least you have a contact number again whilst you are in London. Really you are welcome to keep the phone as a gift from me.’

But it’s an i-phone. You can sell this on e-bay surely. It must be worth a lot.’

‘OK you can just loan it then as an alternative option. As long as you promise to keep in touch and bring it back personally if and when you replace your own or if you need a break in London without being attacked. I’d meet you next time and I’d be happy to be your guide.’

‘ Jack, I’m on a contract with Vodafone and my phone is insured so I’m sure I’ll get a new one soon.’

‘Good then the sooner you will come back. You can stay with me anytime.’

‘Thanks maybe I can sort a phone out with Vodafone at the shop on the High Street sometime tomorrow.’

‘You don’t want to visit me then? Refused again but remember I am still keeping the bar assistant post open in case you think I’m getting a bit fresh.’

‘Let me think about it. A weekend working behind a bar sounds very attractive.’

It’s not the bar that’s attractive it’s the bar manager.’

‘Well if you say so. But why do you need a waitress then to tickle the wallets?’

‘OK you win, you’re hired.’

I had to smile because he made me feel so special. A new feeling for me that I liked. Debs was trying her best to ignore us but eventually she coughed to remind us she was there.

‘OK lend me an apron then and I’ll help to clear some of these tables. I can start my shift now if you like Mr Manager.’

Debs smiled and asked about the dinner arrangements and said that I wouldn’t be joining them so they’d come back to the bar later to have a nightcap and I could at least spend some time with Sarah. Jack told me that he had collected my suitcase and brought it to the bar and I was glad I’d packed it and closed it before I left.

I still had mixed views about whether it was safer to sleep at Jacks place or to share a bed with Sarah. I’d never expected anything like this when I made my plan to visit London and I was going to have to pay for my no show at the hotel unless I could remember the name. Mum might know so I would ask when I called as soon as we finished tidying.

‘Jules you didn’t have to do this you know. I was going to arrange for one of the hotel staff to help out.’

‘It’s the least I can do and anyway I’ve been nibbling all day and I don’t want much to eat. Maybe a sandwich later.’

I took the opportunity to store my afternoon purchases with my suitcase and then freshened up my make-up. I asked Jack if I looked ok for the bar or if I should change. He just winked and smiled. Imagine if my friends at work could see me now. I’d never live this down but being free to dress as I like at last was amazing. I was getting the chance to mix with customers again and to interact that was building my confidence. I could never have planned this even if I’d tried.

Jack kept glancing across as he served some new customers who were staying at the hotel and our eyes met quite a few times. He was wearing a black shirt and a waistcoat with tight black trousers that displayed his package and it was difficult to avert my eyes. What was coming over me? How could I be attracted to another guy?

I busied myself washing a few glasses on the shelves since we just had a few customers since it was early. Jack squeezed past me quite deliberately and put his hands on my hips to ensure our bodies were apart.

‘Mmm, you smell nice Jules. Did your fiancé buy you that?’

‘No, we were trying some samples from the cosmetics counter and Debs recommended this.’

‘Yes she knows it’s my favourite. Paco Robanne isn’t it?’

‘How did you guess. It’s their Olympea perfume, I like it.’

‘That’s your Christmas present sorted then?’

‘Ha Ha, what makes you think we’ll be buying Christmas presents for each other? I don’t think Chris would be too happy.’

‘He won’t be wearing it will he so you can just wear it to remind you of me. Your knight in shining armour who came to your rescue.’

Luckily a guest came to the bar to distract us and asked if I’d bring some bar snack menus to their table. I liked Jack. He had a nice humour and liked to flirt and pay complements and I was less conscious of who I really was and I was enjoying myself immensely. Girls seem to have more fun and I wanted this week to last forever.

After half an hour of quiet the bar started to get busy so I had chance to serve customers and interact. My more feminine voice and mannerisms were becoming second nature.

The girls arrived and stood at the bar chatting to Jack whilst they decided what to drink.

Then Laura spoke.’ Can you send the drinks over to our table please Jack with your pretty little bargirl.’
‘Of course I will Miss. You just rest your legs. As you can see working tables is good for exercise and firms the butt. You should try it sometime.’

The look I received was ice cold and I felt the daggers.

Debs changed the subject and said they’d come back later and we could have a drink together before going to our rooms. She wanted to check that I was taking the spare ticket for the show the following evening and if Jack was giving me the night off. Jack smiled as he pulled a pint of lager.

‘We’ll try to manage but maybe she’d like to help out after the show when we will probably be busy.’

‘Jack, she doesn’t work here you know. She’s on vacation.’

‘ Debs really I don’t mind if Jack needs help. We are coming back here anyway and it’s been fun. I’ve got the rest of the week to do other things.’

Promise to continue.

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I’m very glad.......

D. Eden's picture

That you decided to revisit this story. I hadn’t read any of it before, but we saw your new posting I decided to start it from the beginning and found it to be a wonderful story.

Julie is a wonderful character, and is really finding herself on this trip. Having her bag stolen was possibly the best thing to happen to her.

Oh, and Laura is a bitch and needs a good slap.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thanks Again

This story was fun to write and I can't understand why I allowed myself to be distracted other than I was traveling a lot. It does contain some true life experiences and Kensington is my favorite part of London.

Jules

A very pleasant tale.

Like D. Eden, I have started from the beginning and a a very pleasant tale it is. Having visited London recently, as a tourist, I can agree it’s a little daunting traversing the railway stations and underground. But the Fates are looking after Julie. I hope Laura doesn’t go postal on Julie. I am looking forward to reading the concluding episodes and intrigued as to how this will all come together.

Visiting London

Hi and thanks for your comment. Yes London can be daunting. What happened to Julie happened to a close friend of mine on the underground who had brought cash from China in his bag. He chased the culprit and managed to recover the bag. So best to take care. The story is based in Kensington close to Kensington Palace and the Royal Albert Hall that is a safe area with lots to see and do. My favorite area to stay. I've yet to decide how the story concludes but that's only because I like to consider different options and sleep on them.

Jules

I'm glad

you returned to the story, it is a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing where you go from here, love the characters!