Another Side of My Life - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Another Side of My Life
Chapter 5
by Julie D Cole

It must have been an hour at least before I fell to sleep. I found myself thinking about how much I’d enjoyed myself working with Jack and decided I’d stay and help him. Hopefully I’d meet his sister anyway and that might mean I could feel more safe.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
I must have a deep sleep because I never heard a thing all night and the bed was hardly disturbed when I was awakened by the sound of Jack running the shower. I looked around to gather my thoughts and the room looked quite tidy and was very clean and well decorated. I wondered if Jack had some female companion or cleaner to help him.

I put on my dressing gown and slippers since I needed to sprint to the bathroom the minute I heard Jack come out. He seemed to take an age and he was singing away to himself.
I poked my head around the bedroom door and made as much noise as I could hoping that he’d hear that I was up. My hair was a bit dishevelled and luckily no rough patches on my face from soft beard or moustache growth overnight so I didn’t have to hide until he was out of the way. “Come on Jack.”

At last the door opened. Steam was everywhere and Jack was grinning and said good morning asking if I’d slept well.

I had no time for morning talk and pushed past him locking the door as quickly as I could.
I sat down rather than stand that in the circumstances that didn’t seem very becoming. I couldn’t see myself anyway for the fog that Jack had created and the mirror was covered in condensation. What a relief. Pity I didn’t have the capacity that most women seem to have.

Or maybe they know how to hold on longer. I wouldn’t want to wait in a queue and it made me realise I’d have to avoid last minute dives into the ladies bathroom when I was out.

Eventually the steam disappeared and I went back to the room for my make up bag and toiletries and I heard Jack shout good morning again as he was doing something in the kitchen. I just said ‘Morning’ and closed the door.

Thirty minutes later I felt like I could meet the world and looked refreshed from a good sleep. Jack laughed and said he’d thrown away my morning cup of tea that was now cold. He made me a fresh cup and I apologised for being a bit grumpy.’I’m not a morning person.’
He made some toast and I had some cornflakes and a yoghurt whilst I was waiting.

He said that he’d thought about going for a run but wondered if I’d still be here when he came back so he hadn’t chanced it. I was sorry he felt like that so I told him I’d help him again in his bar that evening. I added that it was really because it was Friday night that would be good tips and also if he let me stay again I’d like to meet his sister and her friends.

‘I’ve got good news for you Julie. One of Maggies friends can’t make it so there is a ticket going spare and you can either stay here or share a room to split the cost with Maggie.’

‘Oh’

‘Oh what? Don’t you want to see ‘Jersey Boys?’

‘Yes I’d love to but I never met them and they are strangers so it doesn’t seem right to share a room.’

‘Come on you didn’t know me 24 hours ago so I didn’t bite you did I.’

I’m very happy if you stay here anyway. It’s up to you.’

‘Can I think about it?’

‘Well that’s progress. I expected flat rejection.’

‘Why? I’m sorry if I’m too hesitant but it’s not like I’ve ever been in this situation before.’

‘Welcome to London.’

‘Ok I’d prefer to stay with you but I am also conscious that your sister would be happy if I paid my way.’

‘But you don’t have money yet do you and so your options may be restricted It may depend how much you wiggle your little bum tonight or if you flutter your eyelids.’

‘Jack. I’m not like that.I never wiggled my bum and it’s the first time I ever served in a bar.’

‘Well we either put it down to beginners luck or you are a born bargirl.’

‘Thanks mum will be proud of me after 3 years at university. A born bargirl. Mm’

‘So will you ring your mum soon to find out if she can help you? You might be able to escape from my liar and my evil clutches then.’

‘Thanks. And thanks for being so kind to me. I might have ended up sleeping rough.’
‘My pleasure. I like you and especially your husky little voice. You are certainly a little bit different to other girls I’ve allowed to sleep here.’

‘Is it the first time you had to sleep on the couch?’

‘Oh are you feeling left out then.’

‘No I’m sorry I didn’t mean to say that.’

‘Come on then tell me that you are proud of me that I didn’t come a knocking on your door and I didn’t try it on.’

‘Well thanks but I felt I could trust you from the moment we met.’

‘Oh that makes me feel so bad. Now I have to behave if you think I’m so good.’

‘Well you might be disappointed and I wouldn’t like you to dislike me.’

‘Yeh Yeh. But you forget that I’m not your average Joe. Well not your average Jack.’

He looked at me and his eyes were locked to mine and I felt I couldn’t move.

‘Jack stop it. You are trying to hypnotise me.’

‘HaHa yes you are under my spell.’

‘So what are you doing today since I don’t want to be in the way.’

‘Well I’m meeting sis and her friends about noon and taking them to lunch before I open the bar at 4pm. Wanna come?’

‘Well if I can call mum and then decide I’d love to come with you. I might have to find a bank if she can help me.’

‘Ok it’s a date. I’m just going out for a while and I’ll come back about 11 am to give you chance to sort things out. Leave your gear here if you like.’

‘Thanks you’re so sweet.’

‘Yes that’s me. Sweet enough to eat.’

I washed the breakfast things whilst he tidied himself up to go out. As he left I jumped back a bit as he patted my bum and kissed me on the cheek.

‘Sorry Jules but I told you already that you have a nice wiggle and I couldn’t resist.’

He went out and so I finally got through to mum who was a bit upset she hadn’t been around to help. But she didn’t know that I had arrived in London dressed as Julie and I was relieved that Jack wasn’t around so that I didn’t need to disguise my voice. Not that it was all that deep.

We argued a little bit because she said I shouldn’t have gone on the underground and neither should I have travelled alone. She thinks I’m still her little boy in short trousers and if she saw me now I don’t know what she’d think.

She located my file with all my credit card details and I wrote them all down so I could call them to notify them of the theft. Also I got my bank details.

After an hour I had everything sorted out. Somebody had tried to use my cards but had been blocked because they needed pin numbers. The bank were helpful and arranged for me to go to their branch near to Euston Station. OMG how was I going to convince them who I was and here I was dressed as a girl. How to go there as myself and how to manage the situation with Jack and his sister when she arrived?

I made a decision to dress down a bit and wear jeans and a blouse that wasn’t too feminine and to meet Jack at Kings Cross that would give me chance to apply make up and style my hair before I met him. I put my bra and my bust enhancers in my bag and found a plastic carrier bag to put the bag in and tried to look as much like a boy as I could. I wore my trainers but they did have pink edgings that were obviously not boys shoes.

I ended looking up a bit androgynous and had to tie back my hair. I was still too effeminate but that would have to do since I was out of time. I scribbled a note for Jack ans arranged to meet him at noon near the arrivals notice board.

As I arrived in the bank the security doorman stopped me and said ‘Excuse me miss.’

OMG that was all I needed. ‘ It’s sir not miss.’

‘Oh sorry young man but I wasn’t wearing my glasses.’

I had to wait to meet an assistant and as I was sitting there I tried to sit as casually as I could rather than cross my legs as I seemed to do automatically these days.

OMG I’d forgotten about my nail polish and it was impossible to hide my hands. Especially if I shook hands or had to sign any documents.

The assistant came through and smiled and escorted me through to an interview room. A stroke of luck at last he could have been a woman but his name was James and he was obviously gay and he seemed to be attracted to me immediately.

‘Good morning dear I understand you’ve had a little problem and I’ve been talking to your bank this morning who’ve explained the situation. Are you alright. Did he hurt you? Was it a serious attack?

I sat down and at least I needn’t worry about my fingernails now which he admired and commented on. He had small hands like me and no real strength in his grip as we shook hands. He smelled of expensive perfume so I asked what it was. He was pleased that I’d noticed so after that it was downhill all the way.

He matched me against a security photograph on the screen and then he skyped my bank. OMG Nadine was at the other end and she’d see me. She smiled and was very helpful confirming it was me. She just said that I looked very nice and hoped that I was OK after the attack. She knew my mother very well so now I had the risk that she’d say something to mum because I appeared ‘different today’ as she put it.

I was given 500 pounds in cash that I signed for and it was taken from my account. Nobody had tried to use my card so far but they suspended it anyway and arranged to post a replacement with a different issue date and validity.

Well 500pounds should be enough especially if I could earn some more money working with Jack tonight and perhaps another night. Better still if I stayed at his place.

I left the bank but it was already 11-45am so I had to rush. I got rid of the plastic bag and went into the ladies bathroom to freshen up. No time for full make up. I just had to do my best and brush my hair out removing the pony tail.

I ran as best I could to Kings Cross and arrived flustered bang on noon. Jack was there already and so was his sister and friends. They’d caught an earlier train.

Jack waived and put his arm around my waist as I arrived and shook hands one by one.
There were 5 of them and each one looked me up and down before smiling. They were all very excited and ready for lunch . Jack suggested 2 taxis and to check in at the hotel. I shared a cab with Jane and Laura who were sharing a room together and had been friends since school.

I sat on one of the pull down seats and then Laura looked at me and said.

‘Excuse me but are you Jacks girlfriend or are you his boyfriend perhaps?’

To be continued……..

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another Side of My Life - Chapter 5

Like how Jack likes her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good that Jack is in the other taxi...

Andrea Lena's picture

....I feel almost as anxious as Julie here; wondering what feelings are almost besetting me as I struggle with new and conflicting emotions. I certainly would have loved to be in a car full of lovely girls my age, but ultimately there seems that there will come a time that I'd have to face the emotions I have for Jack and if that's really how I want to live my life? I hope I read that correctly, but it seems that there still is a conflict there. I know how I'd have chosen as Andrea, but as Julie, it's still maybe up in the air? Thank you, Julie, as always for adding another fine line of brocade to my tapestry of Andrea.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you,Julie,

ALISON

Another little diary piece of our Julie and her adventures,but she has some questions to answer now.
Lovely to see you back writing again,always a joy.

ALISON

Who did we meet in this chapter?

Ole Ulfson's picture

There was a very helpful gay banker who was a prince. Oops! Here at the end we seem to have found a really snotty girl. Does Julie have the pluck to play with the "mean girls"? She's new at this, but I'm guessing she can handle it!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!