For Want of a Comma - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

horseshoe & comma

In this chapter, our hero gets to know a pretty boy, is harassed by a major creep, and holds hands with someone who makes his heart flutter.

CAUTION: This chapter includes actual descriptions of bullying, including verbal assault and sexual harassment, rather than indirect references to bullying, as in previous chapters. If you feel that might cause any difficulty for you, please think very carefully before reading this chapter. While I love having my stories read, knowing people are taking care of their mental and emotional well being is a lot more important to me.

Copyright 2020 by Heather Rose Brown

=-=-=

"Sorry for jumping to conclusions," Vic said as we headed out of the classroom. Once we'd merged with the heavy foot traffic in the hallway, he said, "I just saw how chummy you two looked, and ... well ... I guess I really stepped in it."

I ducked out of the way of a girl running past us, then smiled at Vic as I shook my head. "No need to apologize. I just ... kinda never thought of anybody being interested in me like that."

"So, you never had a girlfriend?" His brows wiggled. "Or a boyfriend?"

My cheeks warmed as I said, "Of course not. To both!"

"Sorry again," he said as he gave me a light shoulder bump. "It's a wonder I can talk, let alone walk, with both feet in my mouth."

Something about the image of him trying to walk with both feet in his mouth made me chuckle. Or maybe it was a giggle. It was hard to tell with the loud chatter of the other students.

Vic looked like he was going to ask me something, then gasped when he was slapped in the back.

"Yo, Brunfag," said a tall, chunky boy as he slapped Vic in the back again.

Vic hunched his shoulders. "Get outta my face, Griff."

"Dial down the hostility," Griff said as he held up his hands. "Just messin' with ya." He looked at me with a smile any shark would envy. "I know you're new here, so I better warn ya 'bout this one."

"Nobody wants to hear it," Vic said as he quickened his pace.

"What's his damage?" I asked as I ran to keep up.

Vic sighed, then said, "He's just some bloody plonker, who thinks a bit of eyeliner means you've got a thing for guys."

I studied his face as well as I could while running down the busy hallway. "You got makeup on?"

"Not since the first day of school," he said as he shook his head. "The powers that be decided girls are only allowed subtle makeup, and boys are allowed none."

"They made a rule, specifically saying boys can't wear makeup?"

Vic slowed as we reached a door near the end of the hall. "Eh, they can keep it," he said with a smirk. "I'm already pretty enough as I am."

=-=-=

I saw Richie talking to a girl with puffy pigtails when we entered the classroom.

Vic walked towards them as he said, "Richie ... and Chrissy!"

Chrissy turned to Vic, and said, "Oh m'gosh. What happened to your hair?"

Vic let out a deep sigh, then said, "School messaged my parents, dad took me to a barber, and snip snap, my hair got chopped."

"Wait a minute," I said as I stepped up to the group. "This school can make ya cut your hair?"

Richie's mouth quirked to the side as she nodded. "If it don't meet school guidelines, then yeah."

I held a hand up to the side of my head. "But ... what if I don't wanna?"

"Don't worry," Richie said as she draped an arm across my shoulders. "They only make guys keep their hair short."

The warmth of her arm on my shoulders drove away the panic I'd been feeling, which made more room for my growing anger. "That's ... that's just ... so unfair!"

"You're telling me," Vic said.

Chrissy reached up, and parted the hair covering Vic's forehead down the middle. "Y'know, with a couple of barrettes, it could still look cute."

Vic shook his head, shaking loose the part in his hair. "Nah, they'd probably just ban that too."

Richie snorted. "This is ridiculous. First the makeup thing, and now this?"

"Definitely should be first order of business at our next meeting." Chrissy said as she put her hands on her hips.

"What meeting?" I asked.

The ringing of the second period bell drowned out Chrissy's answer, but it had looked like she'd said something about telling me later.

Richie let go of my shoulder as she said, "Guess we better tap in."

Richie, Chrissy, and Vic lined up behind a couple of other students already standing by the teacher's desk. I slipped off my backpack and pulled out my card as I hurried to get behind them.

"Hey," Griff whispered from behind me. Even though he'd only said one word, there was something in the tone of his voice that made my hair want to crawl off the back of my head.

"Hey," he whispered again after the line moved. I ignored the desire to bloody Griff's snout, and tried to remember another one of the visualization techniques my therapist had taught me.

"Where's your bra?"

I imagined myself being someplace far, far away as the line moved again.

"Ain't girls supposed to wear bras?"

I was at the edge of a quiet lake. A gentle wind rustled through the trees around me. I was not in some weird school with crazy rules. There definitely wasn't a creep standing behind me.

Griff's warm breath tickled the back of my ear. "It should be right here."

A finger pressed between my shoulder blades.

"What the hell ya think you're doing?!" I shouted as I spun around.

A tall, nearly bald man appeared beside us. "What's going on here?"

"Nothin', Mr Mason," Griff said as he leaned away from me.

"That wasn't nothin'," I said through gritted teeth.

Mr Mason turned to me, and asked, "Did he touch you in any way that made you uncomfortable?"

My stomach churned as I nodded.

Griff frowned and said, "All I did was tap her shoulder."

"Is that correct?" Mr Mason asked.

"I guess ... sorta ... yeah. But the way he did it was ... just ..." I gave up trying to finish the sentence.

"I see. And did he say anything inappropriate?"

"He asked me about ... " Something wet and hot slid down my cheek. "He said stuff 'bout me wearin' a ... a br-"

"I did not!" Griff shouted.

Mr Mason turned to him, and said, "That's something I think we can discuss with Mrs McCrudger."

Griff's brows shot up. "What? Can't you tell she, or he, or it's lying?"

Mr Mason's voice boomed through the classroom. "Mr Griffins! Office. NOW!"

Griff growled, glared at me, then stomped out of the room.

The stone cold expression Mr Mason had while he watched Griff leave melted when he looked at me. His voice was warm and mellow, like a cup of hot cocoa, when he said, "Would you like to speak to the school therapist?"

I wiped my cheek with the back of my hand as I thought. I still wanted to pummel Griff until there was nothing left of him to hit. Under that were a lot of other feelings; none of which I could name. "I dunno," I said as I shrugged.

Even though he didn't smile, there was a twinkle in his eye as he said, "I'll take that as a yes."

A hand slipped into mine. I turned and saw Richie smiling at me. She gave my hand a squeeze, then looked at Mr Mason as she asked, "Would it be okay if I took Tracy to see Dr Korvin?"

"That sounds like a good idea," he said as he nodded at Richie, then looked at me and asked, "Would you be okay with that?"

I did my best to smile as I nodded.

"Very good. I'll contact Dr Korvin, so she knows to expect you."

=-=-=

The clap of our shoes against the wooden floorboards echoed down the empty hallway. I barely noticed the sound of classes being taught as we passed by closed doors. Richie brushed the back of my hand with her thumb as she said, "Don't worry, Dr Korvin's really nice."

I gave her hand a squeeze. "I'll be okay. This ain't gonna be my first therapist."

"Really?" Richie was quiet as we passed another door. "Would I be getting too nosy if I asked what kinda things you're seeing a therapist for?"

I grinned and said, "Maybe a little, but I don't mind telling ya."

Richie bit her bottom lip, then said, "Sorry 'bout that."

"It ain't really a big secret. Just got some anger management issues he's helping me with."

"Ahhh," she said, while giving me a curious look.

"You almost seem disappointed."

"No, not really. I was just expecting something ... different."

"You mean like split personalities, or stuff like that?"

Richie smiled and shook her head. "Nah, nothing like that. I just ... never mind."

"Okay, ya really got me curious. Whatcha think I was seeing a therapist for?"

"Maybe like ... gender stuff?"

"Huh?"

Richie stopped and gave me a look that was happy, sad, and hopeful; all at the same time. "I just thought maybe you were ... well," she let go of my hand as she said, "however you identify really ain't any of my business."

A lost, empty feeling opened up inside of me when she let go. "You mad at me?"

"Of course not," she said as one side of her mouth dimpled. "Why'd ya ask?"

"Well, when ya stopped, and then let go, I thought ... maybe ... I dunno."

"Ahhh, I see. Well, I stopped 'cause we're here," she said as she gestured towards a door. "And I let go," she added as she pulled the door open, "so I could do this."

"Oh," I said as some of the emptiness faded. Part of me wanted to reach out to her, but another part was terrified of the idea, so I wrung my hands instead. "Sorry for making assumptions 'bout how ya feel."

Richie grinned and said, "Está bien."

My heart beat faster as I said, "This is like, close as I ever got to being friends with someone in ... ever. Guess I was worried about messing that up by getting ya mad."

"I can't promise to never get mad," she said as she touched my cheek. Her lashes fluttered when she lowered her hand. "But as far as the friends part goes ..." Richie let go of the door, swallowed a couple of times, then said, "that's something I'd really like."

And then ... she hugged me.

I stood there a moment, not sure how to react, then leaned into the hug. "I'd like that too."

up
254 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cool!

WillowD's picture

I LIKE this chapter. Thanks.

Thank you!

I'm so glad you liked it! :D

Nicely done

but that was nowhere near the sort of bullying that went on back when I was a teenager. Physical violence was just the start. Knuckles coming down on the top of your head when they went past you was just the start. There was always a bunch of them who would swear on a stack of bibles that it was you who started it. That meant you got the week of detentions even though you were the victim.
Then there was the stick through the front wheel of your bike as you were riding it. You'd end up digging up the tarmac with your teeth while they stood there laughing.
Do your homework and then prepare for it to be stolen on your way to school. They'd copy it and submit it as their own and they'd destroy yours so you got detention for not having done the assignment.
Get a girlfriend and they'd make her life hell. Fondling her breasts was just round 1. etc etc etc.
Oh, and the bullies came armed. Flick knives and knuckledusters were just tools of their trade. They learned that trade from their parents many of whom were what we'd call gangsters from the East End of London during WW2 and just after. Back then we could leave school at 15. I did just that, and left that life behind me.
I hate to think what they'd have done if they had discovered my inner girl. That does not bear thinking about.
Samantha.

Bullying...

...was pretty rough for me too. I had considered including more of the kinda things I'd gone through in this story, but I'd rather make it about how I would have liked things to go, rather than how they actually went. Even the bit I've included in this chapter has me a little worried. I just hope people will still be able to enjoy reading about Tommy's experiences, even when bad things happen.

I'm so glad...

...you've enjoyed reading my stories! Even though I've dealt with some difficult stuff, I know others have gone through worse, and I consider myself lucky to be alive, and more ore less sane. I especially feel fortunate to have found a supportive place like BigCloset TopShelf, where I can take parts of my past, weave those parts with my hopes and dreams, until it turns into something I can share with others. :)

i love how this is going

Richie is a great character, and it looks the others could be great friends too

Friends...

...are some of the best things to have, especially when you're dealing with some major changes in your life, and don't know which way to go. I'd planned on having Richie being there from the planning stages of this story. Vic and Chrissy were just rough ideas of characters that I was planning to have join in the meeting Chrissy mentioned. It was a surprise for me when they popped up in the story when they did! I have a feeling they'll all be able to become good friends with Tommy. :D

Boys will be boys...

...seemed to be the working philosophy in the schools I'd gone to. While there usually also was a "don't hit girls" mentality at my schools, anybody who looked like a boy (whether or not they were on the inside) were expected to get a thicker skin, and take it like a man. I'm glad today, more schools seem to be taking bullying seriously. Even if it may not be easy to prevent bullying, knowing there's schools out there that are taking steps to stand against bullies, gives me hope. :)

"Calm blue ocean... Calm blue ocean..."

laika's picture

Good thing Tom/Tracey had been taught those visualization techniques or Griff might have gotten a lesson in who he could or couldn't bully with impunity. But I think (s)he learned at hizorher last school that you can never win that way, at least not when its right there in the classroom. And even with its rather archaic dress code this school is already providing some cool and forward-thinking ("Rebel, rebel; Put barrets in your hair-") friends. Can't wait for this "meeting", when they invite the new kid into their Resistance cell or whatever it is :)
~hugs, Veronica

,
I was reacquainted with one of the worst bullies who had targeted me all through grade school and junior high around 1980 when I was 26 or so. I was a guest of the county jail (nothing too criminal, just the drunk tank) and he was an officer in the LA County Sheriffs. He was still a major dick, only with a gun. I'm not saying every police officer is a psycho like him---many are decent people---but it seems the POS had found his dream job, at a time when inmate deaths there had reached an alarming peak. Several decades on I got some small revenge here at BCTS when I used his name for one of the bullies in my stories The Abattoir + Our Lady of Sorrows...

People react to TG-related bullying...

...in a number of different ways. Sometimes, people go into full stealth mode, and are very careful to act like the gender people think they should be acting like. Others, who either chose to not be pushed into gendered roles, or who (like me) just have trouble getting the hang of acting like they're expected, may choose fight or flight. While I chose the latter while in school, Tommy/Tracy chose the former.

If people see someone as a boy, fighting may be seen as a gender appropriate reaction, and some kids may even lay off a bit on the bullying. Unfortunately reacting violently can also get you in trouble, which is why Tommy's constant fighting eventually got him expelled from his last school. But, with a bit of guidance, and lots of support, it is possible to find better, or at least less violent, ways of dealing with bullying.

And the green light to touch came from?

Jamie Lee's picture

And boys having long hair hurts learning how? Is this a school of knowledge learning or a morality school? How long a boy keeps his hair, just so its kept clean, is not the school's determination.

By saying a boy's hair can only be so long, a moral determination is made that says the boys morals aren't the morals to have. Nothing of religious requirements are taken into account. Nothing of family tradition is taken into account. Only the beliefs of those in charge are taken into account.

Where did Griff get the belief that he could touch another person as he did without their permission? And since when is it his business to be the undergarment police? He never gave a thought there being many reason why a girl wouldn't wear a bra. He isn't privy to the whole story why Thomas is dressed as he is dressed. So his own assumption is wrong, though being wrong seems out of his view.

Thomas appears to have an admirer in Richie. She appears to need Thomas' friendship as much as he needs hers.

Knowing he has an issue and getting help was the first step in overcoming the issue. If Thomas is completely honest with Dr. Korvin about why he's in a girls uniform, maybe Dr. Korvin can get the JAs to see they made a huge error. How their huge error has made Thomas' day at school hell. And maybe Dr. Korvin can learn why Thomas just accepted the situation without throwing a fuss.

Or, maybe Dr. Korvin with learn Thomas is TG and has been keeping that knowledge to himself. Even from his mom.

Others have feelings too.

*nodding*

I can't agree with you more about how stupid it is to make rules about how long your hair is allowed to be. Unfortunately, I'd actually gone to a school that had specific rules on how long boys were able to have their hair. Of course, my parents also felt I needed to keep my hair short, so even if it wasn't a school rule, I was still outta luck.

I also agree Griff had no right to do or say any of the things he did. Fortunately (or unfortunately for him), he was a bit too brazen, and got caught in the act. While I've seen too many times when some kids get away mistreating other students, even in front of teachers, I felt it was important to this story to serve up a little bit of justice.

Tommy is going be meeting Dr Korvin in the next chapter, so the only thing I'll say about what happens there, is stay tuned! :)

I Missed all the rules, bullies, etc.

BarbieLee's picture

.
Hugs Rose, it's easier if one accepts life rather than fighting in. Maybe Tracy will figure that one out. Besides, the fairer side gets all the soft, beautiful clothes and other things.
Barb
Life is meant to be lived

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

*hugging back*

Both accepting things and fighting things can be hard to do. I've sorta done a combination of the two. I think Tommy/Tracy had been accepting things for a while, but is now leaning more towards fighting against rules and expectations. While I can't argue about how nice girl clothes can be, I also know there's plenty of stuff about bein' a girl that ain't so fun. Hopefully, the world will continue becoming more open to people acting and dressing the way that feels best to them, rather than making rules about what we can and can't do. :)

School rules

It's odd that there's one set of rules for teachers (don't make any assumptions about a student's gender) but another for students (strict gender delineated uniforms, hair lengths, use of makeup etc). They probably think they're being liberal, but with that strict dress code are making a half-assed attempt. It's probably more to please the inspectors than do anything meaningful - although at least they do have an in-house therapist.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Some changes ...

... to the school rules definitely seem to be in order. Maybe someone later in this story, may do something to help makes some changes happen? *grinning, then whistling innocently*

School rules are dumb...

Schools have some of the dumbest rules. My school banned all political clubs (Young Republicans, Young Democrats, GSA...) when some idiot wanted to start White Power club, since the Afro Americans had a club. It is stupid that you have your hair short if you are a boy, and only halfway down the back if you are a girl.

TGSine --958

Oh yes ...

... schools can have some pretty dumb rules. I once went to a school that didn't allow sneakers outside of phys-ed, *unless* they were leather topped-sneakers. While they didn't look that different from canvas-topped sneakers, they were more expensive, which meant my parents couldn't afford them.

One of the school rules I didn't mind, was everyone, whether you were a girl or a boy, had to take at least one semester of home economics in high school. While I already had learned a some of the stuff they taught in that class from my mom, it was nice to be able to join a class that had been seen by most people as a "girls only" class. :)