Prep School Body Guard

Printer-friendly version

Kim Cho was one of the best agents available. He was also one of the youngest. This was both good and bad for him, especially when he was assigned to work as a bodyguard at St. Genevieve's Preparatory School for Gifted Young Women.

Prep School Bodyguard
Copyright 2010 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Staring out at the muted blur of landscape whizzing by my window, I did my best to ignore the strange, ticklish sensation of silky hair brushing against my neck. The fluttering in my chest was getting worse, and it was becoming difficult to remember to take slow, steady breaths.

Although it hadn't really gotten all that bad yet, I could feel the claustrophobia creeping up on me. Riding for two hours in a sub-compact was finally starting to take its toll, and the stress of having to learn a new role with almost no prep time wasn't helping.

I opened my window enough to let in a ripple of damp, pine-scented air, but not quite enough for more than the occasional raindrop to sneak through the crack. Leaning against the door, I rested my cheek on the cool glass and tilted my face up into the light breeze.

"Kimmy?" Julie asked in a voice barely a whisper above the swish of the windshield wipers and the steady purr of the engine.

I stopped running the back of my tongue over the plastic device lining the roof of my mouth and muttered, "That's Agent Cho," then clamped my jaws shut when the still unfamiliar voice slipped between my lips.

"I'm sorry," she calmly replied. "I just thought we probably should start getting into character, since we'll be arriving at the school soon."

I fiddled with the vent blowing warm air onto my bare legs for a moment before I said, "It's okay. I just have a thing about being called Kimmy."

"Would you feel better being called Kim?"

The genuine warmth and concern in her voice took the edge off my nerves. "That'll work fine," I said, doing my best to sound cheerful.

"Okay, Kim it is." Something about the way she said my name made my toes curl. It had been nearly two years since I'd been paired up with Agent Graham on my first assignment; I'd almost forgotten the effect she could have on me.

We rode along in companionable silence for a short while before I said, "Thanks for putting up with my moodiness. I know I've been acting pretty grumpy ever since the director revealed the details of my cover."

"Don't worry about it," she said as she diverted her attention from the road for a moment to give me a wink. "It just means you're getting into your role as a teenager."

"But a teenage girl?" I asked, wincing when I realized how whiny I sounded.

"Our client goes to an all-girl prep school. No boys are allowed on campus."

"Okay, but why couldn't a woman have been given my assignment?"

"Because there weren't any female agents available who were young enough to pass as a teenager and skilled enough to pull off this role on such short notice."

While I mulled over the implications of that statement, my partner carefully turned from the winding road we'd been following onto a narrow drive lined with tall, well groomed hedges. My heart started thumping again when the drive emptied onto a small parking lot.

As we pulled into an empty space, I took in a deep breath, then let it out slowly before saying, "Well, I guess this is it."

"Don't worry," Julie said, giving me an encouraging smile a she parked. Once the engine grew silent, she added, "I've seen you in action before, so I know what I'm talking about when I say, you'll do fine on this assignment."

"Thanks," I said, feeling a chuckle bubbling deep in my chest as I added, "Mom."

=-=-=

I gave my umbrella a few shakes before following Julie through the entrance, then unbuttoned my raincoat as we exchanged the chilly damp of our trip through the steady rain for the comforting warmth indoors. The squidgy flump of my boots made an interesting counterpoint to the sharp click of my partner's heels as we headed down the deserted hall.

A nicely dressed older woman looked up from the paperwork on her desk when we entered her office, then smiled and stood as she said, "Juliet! It's so good to have you back."

She walked out from behind her desk and gave Julie a friendly hug. "As usual," the woman said when she let Julie go, "your timing is uncanny. I just received a fax of your daughter's school records a few moments ago." She turned to me and her smile grew as she said, "You must be Kimmy."

"Actually, it's Kim," I blurted out, then added somewhat belatedly, "I mean, I'd prefer being called Kim, if you don't mind."

"Not at all, sweetie,' she said. "I know how important a name can be. Please feel free to call me Margaret, or Mrs. Pool, if you prefer."

I was half tempted to say something about being called sweetie, but decided it might be getting too far out of character. Instead, I tried to think friendly thoughts as I smiled and said, "Thank you, Mrs. Pool."

She took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "The pleasure is all mine," she said, then gestured to the chairs in front of her desk. "If the two of you would like to take a seat, we'll be able to take care of a few registration formalities."

=-=-=

Answering the registration questions hadn't taken as long as I'd expected, but a certain need had started becoming urgent by the time we were done. Once Mrs. Pool welcomed me to the school and handed me my orientation package, I quickly followed the map on the back of my class schedule to the nearest restroom.

To my relief, I didn't see or hear anyone as I walked through the door and made a beeline to the nearest stall. Despite the pressure on my bladder, I found myself frozen when I pulled down my underpants and got my first good look at the transformation that had been made to my nether regions.

The people in the makeup and appliances department had called it a gaff, which I eventually decided must be some sort of bizarre chastity belt. While the experience hadn't been painful, having someone arranging my bits and poking tubes where no tubes should go had been embarrassing.

My recollection of the experience was mercifully disrupted by the sound of approaching voices, and I sat down to take care of the business I'd come in for. Just as I was wiping myself, someone banged on my stall and asked, "Who's in there?"

Not being able to recall any rules of engagement for my current situation, I decided to wing it and asked, "Who wants to know?"

I got a few snickers in response, followed by the stall door being forced open hard enough to send my coat, umbrella, and backpack flying. A tall girl with dark, wavy hair reached in, grabbed me by the shoulders, and said with a snarl, "Aubrey Kensington wants to know, Little Miss Smartass."

I barely had a chance to pull up my underpants before she dragged me out. It took a serious act of will to not break role and gently but firmly flatten the obnoxious girl.

About half a dozen girls formed a circle around us, and one of them said, "Oh jeez, they're letting them in younger every year."

"I know," said another girl. "What are you, twelve?"

Before I could answer the question, someone else said, "No, I don't think they'd let them in that young, but she definitely looks like a freshman."

"I think you're right," Aubrey said as she let me go. "So what are you doing in the senior bathroom, Little Miss Freshman?"

Hoping this was a step up from the previous name she had called me, I decided to give polite friendliness a shot and said, "I'm sorry. This is my first day here. I didn't know there were separate bathrooms for seniors."

Aubrey's mouth twisted into something between a smile and a grimace. "Aww ... poor Little Miss Freshman must have gotten lost." Expecting her to make some sort of move, I was a little surprised when she only rested her hand on my shoulder.

Her smile slipped into something more normal looking, but there was still an evil glint behind her eyes. "Don't worry," she said in an almost motherly tone. "All seniors are expected to look out for our freshman classmates, and make them feel welcome."

Resting her free hand on my other shoulder, she slumped down a little until our noses were nearly touching. I could smell the cherry bubblegum on her breath as she said, "So, as the senior class president, please allow me to welcome you to the fall semester at St. Genevieve's Preparatory School for Gifted Young Women."

Hearing her emphasis on the word fall, I was prepared for the sudden shove as well as finding someone had been kneeling behind me. What I hadn't expected was to land between the linked arms of two girls.

"What are you doing?" I asked, feeling disoriented.

"Don't worry," one of them said. "We're here to support you."

"That's right," the other girl said. "We're also here to guide you through all the confusion you might face as a freshman."

"That's absolutely right," Aubrey said as she drew herself upright. "With that in mind, would you two ladies be so kind as to show our new classmate to the freshman restroom?"

"We'd be delighted," they said in unison. Something about the overly cheerful tone of their voices put a chill in my bones, but even that warning sign hadn't prepared me for what came next.

Suddenly, my feet went up in the air as I slid head first into a dark, tight space. As the blood rushed to my face, I silently reminded myself to not panic. This was just a temporary situation that could be resolved if I kept my wits about me. Eventually the laughter faded when I heard the door close, leaving me in silence and, I assumed, alone to contemplate my position in the school pecking order.

The first thing I tried was just pulling myself out, but my arms were firmly pinned to my sides. The next thing I tried was waving my legs around, but whatever I was in barely wobbled. I tried to ignore the smell of used paper towels, plastic trash can liner, and other things I didn't want my imagination to identify as I again reminded myself not to panic.

I gave up and panicked.

My throat was starting to get raw from screaming for help when I felt someone grab one of my feet. That started to work until my shoe popped off. Dots of light began swirling behind my closed eyelids and my breakfast felt like it was trying to claw its way out of my stomach.

Someone wrapped both arms around my legs and began tugging. I took in huge gulps of air when I was pulled free. Once I was on my feet, I held onto the arm my rescuer held around me while waiting for the room to stop spinning.

"Are you okay?" she asked when she let me go.

I turned to the girl beside me and said, "Yeah, I'm okay. More embarrassed than anything." After studying her vaguely familiar face for a moment, I asked, "Have we met before?"

The girl's forehead wrinkled as she said, "I don't think so." Her expression brightened as she added, "We have now, though." She then took my hand and gave it a gentle but enthusiastic shake. "I'm Fawn Wetherby."

The name was the last piece that made everything click. I returned her smile as I introduced myself, while marveling at the strange stroke of luck. This was NOT the way I had planned to make first contact with our client.

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow

I totally can't wait to see the next chapter(s) of this story. This first chapter should be called a teaser, because that's what it has done. Teased me with just enough to get interested.

Thanks for sharing your work, It's much appreciated!

Sera~

Body Guard

Good start. Well written with a good pace. I hope there's more to follow.

Kaptin Nibbles

Excellent start - this reads

Excellent start - this reads beautifully and sucks you right in!

Oh you tease and the name

resonates with me somehow.

^_^

However, I will forgive the Korean bit :).

If you are just trying to figure out whether there is any interest, I think you will find there will be plenty of it.

Kim

Agreed

That is a merciless tease! And... some bodyguard! :)

Aubrey Kensington and her posse... Doom. On. You.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Prep School Body Guard

I remrmber a show where cops impersonated students. But this is even better.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That was 21 Jump Street, I think

... with the most agonizingly pretty, very young Johnny Depp.

I always thought he was too pretty to be a boy in that show.

Kim

When I had transferred to a new school

just as my senior year started, everybody thought I was a freshman too, until they saw me sitting in their classes. Seniors can be so frustrating to freshman, especially girls. Senior girls think they not only own the school but the world, and if they are rich to boot, look out.

This is a very interesting chapter, and just what agency is Agent Kim with, again? Anyway, it looks like the ... whatever ... is about to hit the fan. Nice chapter and different. Thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I had problems too. But I

Raff01's picture

I had problems too.

But I had gone to that school all four years. I stayed in the cafeteria mostly, working with friends. One day my senior year a kid who I think was either a freshman or sophmore and a friend threatened to dump me in a trash can. Wouldn't listen to me that I was a senior ever with my government book a seniors only class.

As they attempted to get me the vice principle came out and set them straight while teasing them. Asked if I was making sure to use my senior privilege to give them swirlies. Then he said, with a wink to me, that he didn't want trouble from me my senior year

Yes, wow

This really seems very interesting. Although one wonders who's whose bodyguard... Keep going, I think this would be very good serie.
Cheering
Robin

Great start! Both you and

Great start! Both you and Kim, looks to be fun tale. So hurry with more!

A really interesting start.

I liked this enough to add it to my favorites list. Great job.

Bailey Summers

Excellent

Glad to see you spread your wings a bit. This seems another direction from some of your prior writing, yet every bit as enjoyable.

Looking forward to more!

Wonderful opening!

Great start and I can't wait to see where this goes.

Love the new story premise,

Piper's picture

Love the new story premise, and even more so, that it's coming from one of my favoritest authors!

Always glad to see more writing from you, and I hope this means you are on your way out of, or completely out of your funk.

-HuGgLeS-
-P/KAF/PT


"Science is just magic with an explanation, and bumblebees are just tiny little fairies in disguise. :)" Submitted by Erin on Sun, 2010/04/04 - 6:37pm.


"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks


Job or Adventure?

terrynaut's picture

It doesn't sound like a job. It sounds more like an adventure! I love this.

Getting saved by the client has to be bad for the rep, but that was a perfect end to the restroom scene. Staying in character looks like it's going to be tough for our hero(ine).

Nice job, Heather. Please keep it coming.

- Terry

I'm really excited to see where this goes!

So many fun possibilities!

One thing is certain: Kim is an agent of a government agency of one sort or another. (S)he is there for more than the crass bullying that is already evident. That brings up a difficult issue for our agent. Blend in meekly as a submissive freshman and Kim could be boxed in by pranks or malicious acts by those who have no connection with the case. Kim will have to assert "herself", at least to an extent, or she may be unavailable when Fawn really needs her. On the other hand, if the threat is from inside the school--i.e. a teacher or student--Kim must not appear to be too unusual and assertive lest she risk the mission being blown.

Heather, I'm sure you have it all figured out but I do so hope you allow Kim to show a little moxie. Perhaps under the guise of previous self defense training, Kim could defend herself "just enough" to hold off the bullies and gain some respect. Perhaps with an olive branch offering immediately thereafter to see if those girls are redeemable and not totally evil. In any case, I hope you continue this story--soon!

SuZie

SuZie

Here's a Vote

What a treat to find a new Heather Rose story. Great hook.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Holy Guacamole!

I was totally bowled over tonight when I signed on and found all your responses to my submission. Thank you so much everyone for your insights and encouragement. I've had quite a few stories simmering on the back burner for a while, and this is the first of the larger stories that started coming together. Originally, this story started with an introduction in an office, but it didn't seem to go anywhere. It wasn't until I skipped the introductory scene and just jumped past the transformation scene and headed off to that school that I started feeling things happening. I don't think I'm completely out of my writing slump yet, but it definitely feels good to at least see one of my stories getting past the first paragraph. :)

Heather, what a fun treat,

Heather, what a fun treat, another cute and wonderful story from a talented writer. Kim was 'just right', trying to adjust to being a 'new' girl in looks, to being a 'new girl' at the school and then finding herself to be on the low end of the 'pecking order' classwise. Can't wait for another chapter to see how she pulls herself out of 'this is another fine mess, you've gotten us into' mode. Hugs, Jan

You are a wonderful writer ..........

and this is another example, but if I were the client, I would be very unimpressed nor would I continue to employ this bodyguard. Great story premise but very unenlightened start for a professional and if "one of the best" then somebody made a mistake.

Yes and no

If Kim's client is not suppose to know that he is her body guard then this is a good start as she will see her as more a peer. If they bond really strongly then they could be joined at the hip (BFF :)) and the client will never feel like she is being cloyingly protected. Her 'accident' could very well have a silver lining and if Kim does not get socially integrated pronto as a teen, then she will stick out like a porcupine in a balloon factory.

Kim

Just testing.

Well?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Unrealistic Bodyguard

I can imagine how Kim might not come across realistically as a bodyguard. I hope future chapters will work well enough so that issue doesn't take away too much from the story.

I like Your Style

of writing. It moves fast and is extremely interesting.
This story is good on its own but a few more chapters
would be nice.

Oooooo!

Thank You,

Me wants more,,,,giggles!

Nice opening.

Olivea

Struggling with Prep School Bodyguard

I've been struggling with some ideas I've had for continuing this story. I had similar problems with what I already posted. I had originally been planning on starting the story with Kim and Julie being brought into an office and told what they were going to do, then have a transformation scene for Kim. It wasn't until I skipped all that and jumped to where they were driving to the school that things started rolling. Hopefully, I'll be able to get past the false starts on the next chapter. Anyways, that's pretty much where I am with this story. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments. :)