For Want of a Comma - Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

horseshoe & comma

In this chapter, our hero does some reflecting, and meets a principal character.

Copyright 2020 by Heather Rose Brown

=-=-=

After locking the bathroom door, I walked over to the sink. The black leather shoes clunked, the clothes package whuffed, and my ID card clattered when I dropped them on the counter. I took a hard look at myself in the mirror. The person looking back wasn't muscular, or hairy, or any of the other stuff that gets dumped on you when you hit puberty.

"Could I really get away with this?" I asked my reflection.

The dream I'd had in the car came back to me. I thought again about the time I'd been taken clothes shopping when I was six. The girl I'd met there didn't treat me like a boy. She'd even encouraged me to try on something from the girl's department. Of course, she had looked to be around the same age I'd been. I wasn't sure how the tween-aged kids in my new school were going to react.

"Well," I said as I peeled open the package, "there's a sure fire way of finding out."

A pink plastic bag slipped out, slid across the counter, and bumped against the mirror. Next came a white shirt, a red and blue plaid skirt, and a matching strip of cloth. No pants were to be found anywhere. I flipped over the bag. It had 'Undergarments' written in black, curly letters across the top.

"I guess this counts as part of the uniform," I said before tearing open the bag. I pulled out a long pair of socks, something that looked like a tank top, and some panties. All of them were white, and none of them were especially frilly, but they also didn't look like anything a boy would wear.

Except, maybe, for me.

I thought about some of the times I'd been harassed by other kids for wearing stuff that was 'too girly'. Girls seemed to get to wear whatever they wanted. But if my coat was the wrong style, or my shirt had flowers on it, or my pants were the wrong color, everybody freaked out!

I ran my fingers through my hair as I thought of the most recent incident. It was barely long enough to touch my shoulders, but some idiot had decided to harass me about my hair anyway. I'd already been in a bad mood, and lost my temper, which led to getting into another fight, which led to getting ... expelled.

I swallowed the pain climbing up my throat, and looked at the clothes spread out in front of me. "Dammit," I said in a hoarse whisper. "If this is what I gotta do to keep outta trouble, then let's do it."

=-=-=

I was shivering once I'd stripped everything off, both from nervousness, as well as the cold tiles on my bare feet. I picked up the panties, stepped through the leg holes, and pulled them up over my hips. The material they were made of was thin, and they didn't have a flap in the front. Besides that, they weren't all that different from the underpants I'd been wearing a minute ago.

Except for a tiny white bow in the front, the top was as plain as the panties. It had a stretchy band, which pressed against my ribs, but not in an uncomfortable way. The socks were both silky and cottony. My legs tingled as I slid them up to my knees.

I glanced at the mirror. A sharp pang of guilt ran through me when I saw a girl in her underwear, followed by a mild dose of confusion. "Oh jeez," I said as I looked away. "Dr Zigler's gonna have a field day with this one."

The long-sleeved shirt had rounded collars, but didn't feel much different from any other shirt I'd worn when I put it on. Something about the buttons on the shirt felt backwards, and it took a couple of fumbling attempts before I figured them out. I had picked up the skirt, and was trying to decide which side was the front, when someone knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked as I scrambled to pull on the skirt.

"It's Mrs McCrudger, the school principal," said a deep, yet feminine voice. "Ms Etcherson sent me a message about an issue you may be having with your uniform. May I come in?"

"Hold on a sec," I said as I yanked at the waistband. Once the skirt felt more or less in place, I unlocked and opened the door. "Come on in."

An older woman holding a red backpack smiled at me from the doorway. She gave me a fast up and down look, then said, "Your skirt is a little askew." She stepped in and closed the door. "Would you mind if I helped?" she asked as she leaned the backpack against a wall.

I looked down at my skirt, and realized I had no idea what might be wrong. Not knowing what askew meant probably wasn't doing me any favors. "Actually," I said as I looked back up, "I'd appreciate any help I can get."

My breath caught in my throat when she hooked her thumbs into my waistband. I flashed to a moment when somebody had pulled down my jeans, saying he wanted to see my panties. Fortunately, I'd never been brave enough to wear girl's underthings. At least, not before today.

I froze in place when Ms McCrudger shifted the skirt around my waist. The snap of elastic against my stomach when she let go reminded me to breathe again.

"Are you okay?" she asked while giving me an unreadable look.

"I guess so," I said as I shrugged. "It's just been a long time since anybody helped me get dressed."

"Oh," she said as she took a step back. "I do apologize. I'll let you tuck in your blouse on your own."

It took a quick think before my brain translated blouse into shirt, which I began tucking into my waistband.

While I was busy with that, Ms McCrudger picked the shoes up from the counter. "Here you go," she said as she placed them with a couple of sharp clicks on the tile floor.

"Thanks," I said as I shoved my feet into the shoes. It took some effort pushing against the straps across the top of my feet, but the shoes weren't too bad once I had them on.

The principal frowned, but a smile was lifting a corner of her mouth. "Next time, you may want to undo the buckles before you put on your shoes."

"Oh, ermmm ... sorry 'bout that."

"It's okay," she said as the other corner of her mouth lifted. "Mistakes can become useful experiences, if we learn from them."

I picked up the strip of cloth that was sitting on the counter, held it out to the principal, then said, "Speaking of learning, could ya tell me what this is?"

"Ah," she said, "that's your crossover tie. Just slip it under your collar, cross one end over the other, and press the snaps together."

"Got it," I said, and managed getting it under my collar with no problem. The next part was trickier, and I went cross-eyed trying to see where the snaps were. "Ermmm ... could ya gimme a hand with this?"

Mrs McCrudger smiled and said, "Of course," as she reached for the tie. She did something under my chin, and I felt more than heard something snap closed at the base of my throat.

"That's kinda tight," I said in a stifled voice.

"Sorry about that," she said as she reached under my collar.

After a moment, the tie loosened, and I sighed with relief. "Thank you!"

Mrs McCrudger smiled while adjusting my collar. "Does anything else about your uniform feel uncomfortable?"

I was tempted to say, 'Everything'. Instead, I said, "Well, it does feel different from what I'm used to wearing."

The principal nodded as she said, "It can take some time to get used to wearing a uniform." She picked up the backpack, and held it out to me. "This should be big enough to hold your clothes from home."

"Thanks," I said as I accepted it, then kneeled by the pile of clothes I'd dropped on the floor. When I unzipped the backpack, it fell open, and something heavy in the front pocket smacked against my thigh. I unzipped the pocket, and found a tablet inside. "Somebody forget this?" I asked as I held it up to the principal.

"Actually," Mrs McCrudger said as she bent down, "all students at this school receive one of those." She pressed a button on the side of the tablet, and the face lit up, displaying several rows of icons. "This is the emergency call application," she said as she pointed to a phone icon. "It allows you to reach school security, the police, the fire department, and other emergency services."

I touched the icon, and a window with a bunch of phone numbers opened. "Huh," I said as I scrolled through the numbers. "I guess this could come in handy, but couldn't I just call 911 on my phone if there's an emergency?"

The principal stood up, crossed her arms, and said. "Because of the distraction phone use has caused in the past, all calls to or from devices not linked into the school network are blocked."

"Wait a minute. I can't use my phone? Not even to call my mom?"

She shook her head and said, "We had tried allowing limited phone access outside of classes, but some students found ways of circumventing the call blocking while in class. That's why the current system had been put in place."

Before I could complain about the unfairness of punishing everyone for something probably only a few people knew how to do, the tablet chimed. A small yellow window popped up, which said, [Homeroom period has ended. First period begins in 10 minutes.]

"Uh oh," I said as I began stuffing clothes into the backpack. "Looks like I missed homeroom."

Mrs McCrudger smiled and unfolded her arms. "It's okay. I'll make sure your homeroom teacher knows you'd been at the office, so you're not marked as absent."

Once the floor was clear of clothes, I zipped the backpack closed, grabbed my student ID, and slid it into one of the backpack's side pockets. "I appreciate that," I said as I stood up. "Could ya point me to my next class, so I ain't late for it?"

The principal nodded and tapped the yellow window on my tablet. When another window opened, she pointed to a red dot in the middle of the map being displayed. "This is where you are." She traced her finger along a set of blue arrows as she said, "This is the way you go to get to your next class. The dot will move through the map as you get closer."

"Oh cool," I said while shouldering the backpack. "Thanks!"

"You're very welcome," Mrs McCrudger said as she opened the door. "Take care, and enjoy your first day at Saint Milton's!"

up
249 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

BTW

BTW: Cellphone jammers are illegal in all 50 states and US territories, except for limited law enforcement exceptions. By order of the FCC - the Federal Communications Commission. Rules passed by the FCC or any other federal regulatory commission have the force of federal law.

Also, the school's system for routing all approved calls through the school network is called an SPF - Single Point Failure. Hack the school network and that house of cards will come crashing down around their ears. With hundreds of 911 calls being made from the school what they call 'rollover' will see to it that some will connect to a functioning cell tower.

Unless the school's illegal jammers are still blocking all signals.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Oh wow

I guess my lack of knowledge about tech stuff is pretty noticeable in this story. I really hope people are still able to enjoy reading it anyway.

Who cares? It's a minor point.

WillowD's picture

And you are writing a fictional story. Why should the story be completely bound to how technology works, how laws work, how school boards would react in the real world, etc?

The only reason I know that U.S. schools can't jam cell phones is because of comments like this. And I've heard that the reason they can't jam them is because of court rulings saying they can't deny students the ability to call 911.

And yet, they can deny students access to their phones. Which effectively also denies them the ability to call 911.

Writing realistic stories...

... can be lots of fun, but once my muse take hold of idea, I think I'm as surprised as anyone else as to where the story goes. Sometimes it means I wind up wandering into things that wouldn't happen in the real world. I try my best not to let things get too out of hand, but it's not always easy. I understand that may mean my stories won't work for everyone, but I'm always happy to see when people are able to join me for the ride. :D

Heather

Didn't say I can't or wouldn't enjoy your story, just that its a plot point that would bother some of us. As a licensed amateur radio operator and former 911/Emergency Services dispatcher I care about these things.

Simple fix: instead of jammers try this. The school walls are constructed with a material that absorbs signals in the 800 mhz band. A spin off from the stealth aircraft. Not possible IRL at this time but sounds plausible. No problems with Wi-Fi, those things operate way up the frequency range from 800 mhz allocations, so there would be no problem with a school network operating at, say, five ghz. Still open for use and no risk of interference.

And an FYI, the problem in the 800 mhz band was caused by one particular cellular carrier getting greedy. Name begins with an "S" and reminds me of a race.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Thank you...

...for explaining the issues you saw. A bit of it went over my head, but I think I understand some of the basics. I'm glad you're still able to enjoy my story. :)

Just because you don't care, Willow,

Doesn't mean that others can't.

And without going into all the boring details the FCC has had rules since way back when banning RF Jammers. This latest one actually has to do with how the 800 mhz Public Safety frequencies are interleaved with the Cellular frequencies. Jammers are like a blanket, they jam everything between frequency X and frequency Y. Everybody in the 800 mhz range covered by the device would have radio blackouts, including police, fire, ambulance, bomb squads, hazmat crews, etc. Yes, that would have something to do with 911 calls, but it would be on the emergency services dispatchers' end. Imagine if a call were to come in on a patient having a heart attack. The dispatcher knows there is an ambulance only two blocks away, but he can't contact them because they are giving a safety talk at a school that has a jammer turned on.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

hmm

I wonder if somehow they know she's trans, and have set this whole situation up for her.

DogSig.png

Interesting idea!

I'm not sure if this will be a story about Tommy/Tracy being set up, but I can definitely see at lease some people at Saint Milton's getting a trans vibe from our hero. :)

I was wondering this one too.

WillowD's picture

It's one of the reasons why I love the way the story is being presented. We are learning things as the main character learns them. We can be pretty sure it happened because of a typo and someone filling in missing data. But we can't be completely sure. It adds some mystery and spice to the story that wouldn't be there if we knew what was happening in advance.

Guessing what might happen...

...definitely pulls me into a story as well. While I hadn't specifically planned on creating any mysteries, it can be fun when they develop. :)

OR MAYBE

I wonder if his (her?) mom planned this? Maybe "Ms Thomas" mom saw something about Thomas and moving could have done her a bit of seeing if Thomas is transgender. Just my opinion.

TGSine --958

While Tommy ...

... is definitely transgender, he may be a bit different than some people (including some characters in this story) might expect. I don't really think his mom had any specific plans except to find a good school that would accept him, even though he'd been expelled from his previous school.

Comma Chameleon

laika's picture

Comma comma comma comma comma chameleon
they botched my name
I'm not to blame
Living might be good here 'cuz it's kinda like what's in my dreams
Now I'm a tween
In skirts, not jeans

~Joy Borge

Another nice little chapter. Thomas was hassled at his last school for acting too girly, which led to a fight and expulsion; but this doesn't seem like a problem Tracy is gonna have at St. Milton's. It seems like she's at an awkward stage of not quite letting herself admit that this is something she really wants; which I think will pass pretty quick. Hopefully she'll fit in and be liked here.

And hopefully no transphobic parents will blow a gasket on somehow discovering "EEEEK! There's a BOY at my daughter's school!!!" Weird paranoid people who just don't get that no, there isn't.
~hugs, Veronica
.

(And whenever I get some technical detail wrong in something I wrote I just move the whole story to a parallel universe where everything is exactly the same as it is here except that whatever I got "wrong" is actually how they do it over there... EZPZ.)

*dancing along*

I love your song, Veronica! I've been a long time fan of Culture Club. While I haven't had any transphobic parents yet in future chapters I've been working on, there will be some gender related issues. Thanks for the suggestion of this being in an alternate universe. It makes me a little less nervous about getting things right, and easier to just write down the story I've got developing in my head. :D

If only comments could be up voted...

You'd definitely get several for your filk of that Culture Club song! :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

*nodding in agreement*

*still dancing to the song*

I like the way your story

Donna T's picture

I like the way your story builds. It has a nice flow.

Don't fret too much about the techy details - just write. Consider such things as 'literary license'.

Donna

Flow...

...tends to be a challenge for me. I'm so glad it's coming through okay in this story. Thank you for your encouragement! :)

Why not tell Mrs. McCrudger?

Jamie Lee's picture

Okay! Why didn't Thomas tell Mrs. McCrudger he was a boy and Ms. Etcherson gave him the wrong uniform?

Was he only thinking of staying out of trouble, so he put what he was given on? Doesn't he realize there could be trouble when the other students learn the truth, or the parents?

Staying out of trouble doesn't mean simply going with the immediate flow. There needs to be forethought as well. And what's his mother going to say when she sees how the school dressed him? Will she cave to the school or park the car and go in to correct the mistake made by the school?

If mom doesn't get things corrected, Thomas will be thought of as a girl for his entire time at the school. Unless of course that's what Thomas wants.

Others have feelings too.

Giving a direct answer...

...might spoil the story, so I'll just say this: Maybe, underneath the 'staying out of trouble', there's another reason why Tommy isn't fighting wearing a girl's uniform?